DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by premiumdsl4v See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "Delivered advertised product accordingly."
Bad "Weather related, when it storms, creates an outage, naturally."
Overall "Outstanding company, Outstanding product, and service."

·America Online
·AT&T Southwest
Basic service.
Install went smoothly, no glitches.
Was struck by how quickly the install went. Prompt!

Did learn about the code 771 that appears on the tv Just after a storm hits and knocks off the signal. How to rectify. Pleasant experience, and did see where the paper guide even mentions about that code. In Our case, it actually was just that, cause of the storm- code appeared and did what instruction stated and rectified itself. Thankfully.

Only bad thing is the Satellite gets interference from Thunderstorms, and even heavy rainstorms.

Comments:

Pip

@spcsdns.net

Direct tv warranty program

I purchased the direct tv warranty plan now keep in mind, after they told me it covers every tv in the home regardless how old i called for repair and they said they didnt cover my tv and the customer rep started to insult my intelligence by saying we dont repair microwaves,stoves or refrigerator either i thought she was rude and sarcastic so people when direct tv say this or that triple check to make sure its true....signed watch out for liars

Review by cpeagle1 See Profile

• Location: Saint Paul,Ramsey,MN
Good "When the service works, it's good quality"
Bad "Read on..."
Overall "Don't waste your time and money"
Mail,DNS,News:

Direct TV is terrible, don't ever give them your money. They lie to you about how much you have to pay when you sign up. Their customer service is difficult to work with and inconsistent. Their service is inconsistent, ours has been going in and out over the past three weeks and has now been out for nearly 14 hours and they can't get someone out till tomorrow(after a full sunday worth of football) and they charge you when their stuff doesn't work and they have to come out to fix it.

Get Dish network or comcast, at least comcast is upfront about how much it will cost. Direct TV had at least 5 "special discounts" that I was enrolled in at the beginning, even though I was promised my rate wouldn't change, as these "special discounts" ended, my price rose month after month, and now I can't cancel or downgrade my service or I will be subjected to crazy fees.

Comments:

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX

Dish sucks

Had Dish Network for 8 years and for the 6-7 they were great, then cs and general service quality began to get worse and worse. Went back to DirecTV and they are way better than Dish or Comcast in service quality and support.

Dot Vernon

Re: Dish sucks

I have had DirecTV for many years and pretty happy with it especially compared to others. I never sign up anywhere for these deals. It's called baiting the hook.

DTV best

@verizon.net

1 recommendation

IT's all in the documetation online and in print.

OP should have read the contract. It's all there and he shouldn't have been surprised when his rate went up when the promotions ended. No surprises.

Obrien

Direct tv

Direct tv is the worst decision I've ever made. Dont send checks in. I have had to call in every month and had to fax bank statements in because they"lose" them or can't find them until the bank statement comes through. The service is garbage. Don't do it!!!

Re: Direct tv

I agree DirecTV is the WORST provider of television in the USA.

And why should the OP have to be a lawyer reading the tiny print in that unreasonable contract to understand his obligations?

Read the contract...LOL...it is written so that it is confusing deliberately.

I had DirecTV and their CSRs are the worst in the industry.
Read my review of DirecTV!
Timmn

join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL
·DIRECTV

Re: Direct tv

said by 15444104:

I agree DirecTV is the WORST provider of television in the USA.

Apparently,you have never dealt with Comcast, I won't let anybody from Comcast in my house.

Ever since DirecTV changed the dish on the roof, I've had no issues with their service, and have no problems with their CSRs.

Review by comp See Profile

• Location: Evans City,Butler,PA
Good "Best Choice for HD and Sports"
Bad "None Really"
Overall "WAYYY Better than Armstrong Cable"

·Armstrong Zoom ..
Had Directv for 3 years and will never switch back to cable.

member for 12.9 years, 5401 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

no name

@verizon.net

horrible service don't ever get it

first off every time it rains you can't watch tv. if you move they what to charge you to set up the satellite again. second they lie to you about prices and charge you more than what they said. third when you get your final bill they charge you for all these none sense things and have no way to show you your statement from the charge. DONT EVER GET DIRECTV they suck

Shax

@cox.net

Re: horrible service don't ever get it

I have never had that experience. I have been with them for 12 years and moved during that time. I got free installation, free dish and receiver upgrades and everything. I get billed for everything I signed up for. I have had signal loss 2 times (that I am aware of) in 12 years. Once during a torrential downpour, and once when I had about 2 inches of ice on the dish. Total outage time was about 20-30 minutes between both incidents. I LOVE Direct TV and highly recommend it.

Navyvet

@comcast.net
Get Comcast then and talk to the folks in the Asia. Directv is the best customer service I ever had and they are in the US. They follow up and I love them. Sure there are storm issues with Directv however, after Hurricane Sandy on the east coast, Comcast was out for weeks. No discount. I hate comcast I want them out of my house and I hate folks who send US jobs overseas. Comcast is a cash cow and raping the US of jobs.

byblos007

@168.221.143.x

Re: horrible service don't ever get it

Hi, direct tv installed my service yesterday and today it stopped working. I called to cancel they said there is a 900 dollars termination fee. What a great company

Elene

@comcast.net
I was transferred to direct tv from Verizon cause they r not in my area. Omg. For a sales team how rude.... They would not even tell me the price if packages until they do a credit check and set up a install what's wrong with that picture. The sales person was talking over me and said there must be a reason ur shopping g etc... I will never consider direct tv can u imagine after u have service what they provide.

jjarvis

@sbcglobal.net

Direct TV

Well I signed up and then decided not to, due to the fact you have to pay to cancel, So every business, make a product that people do not want to cancel. I do not know what is going to happen two years down the road. Nope not going to do it.

fuck directv

@optonline.net

the worst service provider in the US!

i would not advice anyone to get direct t because they are the worst service providers ever in the USA. they are all bunch of piers, ranging from installers to supervisors.

horus

@tmodns.net

Re: the worst service provider in the US!

Yes you right,never give them your credit card number,if you do it get ready for surprise,they will stole your money in the most shameful manner,even if you account its already canceled.
said by fuck directv :

bob25

@sigecom.net

worst service don't ever get direct tv

We recently got behind on our payment when my wife lost her job. Derict tv would not work with us at all. Since we use our debit card before to make a payment. They said they can bill us without our permission. Which they did.Then they said they would bill us again and there was nothing we could to stop it. Don't ever give these people your debit/credit card or acount information. Their service completely sucks. Every time we got a little rain our service went out. The service was ok when the weather nice. Direct tv's customer service and dish service is a freaking joke. If you use them just be careful.

Review by David See Profile

• Location: Granite City,Madison,IL
Good "Great channel selection,"
Bad "Tech support can be hit or miss"
Overall "Works, and works well for a dual reciever"
Mail,DNS,News:

Service worked on the day it was installed, only had to call repair about 2x that I can remember. The first guy stated I needed a new head unit and told me it would be $400 to replace. When I called back to cancel my service (I have been out of contract) they seemed to be more responsive in helping me. Main problem was the unit was stuck at like 75% on it's reload status (we lost power for a bit, and the main unit didn't want to reload completely). When I called back they stated that unit just needs it's memory jogged a bit, they had me go in and change the transponder to another channel and change it back, It worked and it came back up.

Cancel ling and adding service via DirecTv is easy to do as well as upgrading and downgrading your service pkg. Right now the price is at $65/month, but I am shopping the competition to see what's available as well as channel selection.

Still for the years I have had it 2004-Now it's been rather reliable. I have at most only had 2 outages (minus the power outages) that was because of the service. Not bad for a 5 year run.

04/15/10
Still have the service, got a discount of about $10 for the next year which lowered the price to $58/month.

10/24/11-
This service is starting to disappoint as of late. The carriage disputes are one thing, but with the new boxes we got last year this one has been getting worse. I am starting to "shop around" as the value here on DirecTv is diminishing.

05/15/13- I have been investigating tv pkgs as the current $75/month is kind of sticking to me as there isn't much on tv I really care to watch but netflix has plenty. Another thing on my list of things to do is either they re-negotiate or I cancel. Either or won't bother me in the least.

member for 12.1 years, 5931 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:
younghov22

join:2013-06-20
San Diego, CA

Hi Speed Internet

Do you have your internet thru DIRECTV? If so, how is it and would you recommend it? Thanks!

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

Re: Hi Speed Internet

Don't have internet through them as I have around me charter cable, DSLextreme, and AT&T uverse.

Review by Mr_A1 See Profile

• Location: Dickson,Dickson,TN
Good "Matched or better value than AT&T UVerse with superior HD picture quality"
Overall "If you want great picture quality for the price consider Directv."
Mail,DNS,News:

I switched back to Directv from AT&T UVerse after an almost 2 year break; I cannot believe I actually tried UVerse and kept it as long as I did. The install was short with an update to a SWiM LNB with DECA and an HR24-100 DVR. The picture quality to 1000x better than UVerse ever was and no DD sound issues as with UVerse, which caused me to use just stereo instead of DD. Now, with the new HDGUI and other new items coming out, Directv is starting to jump ahead of the competition.

member for 10.3 years, 3580 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

RandyButler

@embarqhsd.net

unscrupulous business practices

In Dec Directv agent came to mom's home, sold her a package. (78 years old on
social security). I (son, on ss also) agreed to pay the up front $50 up for her. Used
my ATM with agreement, no auto billing.(Not my account) Billing to be moved to her
(mom's) Centurylink bill next month (Jan.) Promised would not be charged for premimum
channels following trial period, turn them off.

The install, a fiasco. System never worked correctly. What hardware that does work,
extremely buggy. Tried to bill for their new bad hardware (3 mo old). Tech stole
a 5V power supply, used it where 12v was needed, left trash over house, yard. Obviously
no testing, no explanations (installed late Friday)

Billing with Centurylink never happened. I was good guy, paid January bill online
because they billed ME online (not mine!). February's, they illegally hit my ATM. In March,
illegally hit my ATM, including cost of premimum channels. March withdrawal caused
bounced checks and to miss Easter with my children.

My kids are hurt. The junk doesn't work. I am out big bucks! They refuse to return money
they stole from me for somebody Else's bill.

This is wire fraud and id theft! watch out it is a scam. Legal action in progress.

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX

I had Direct TV for 2 years and at least 3 times per year I would have a
serious problem. One time they added an NFL Football channel to my package
without my consent and charged me an extra $35 per month. I called and they
told me that they did that as a "favor" apparently thinking I wanted it but
was too stupid to order it. I never watch NFL Football. When I finally
cancelled I paid the $180 penalty and then they also hit my credit card for
an additional cancellation fee, doubling the cancellation charge. When I
called, I was told that it takes 30 days for them to generate a credit
adjustment on a credit card account. They did not have my authorization to
charge my credit card in the first place. If any readers want to use Direct
TV, be sure to check every invoice for over charges (there will be many) and
never give them a credit card number.

(review was emailed from domain sbcglobal.net)

Comments:

ihatedirectv

I hate direct tv

I ABSOLUTELY HATE DIRECT TV THEY TOOK 600.00 OUT OFF MY DEBIT CARD WITHOUT PERMISSSION ,EXCEPT IT WAS ALREADY "ON FILE" FOR CANCELLING THEIR HIGH ASS BULLSHIT SERVICE THATS ALOT TO CANCEL A CONTRACT DONT YA THINK ANYWHO I TRIED TO EVERYTHING TO GET MY MONEY BACK AND THEY TOLD ME THAT IF I RE-ACTIVATE THE SERVICE THEYD GIVE IT BACK..LIKE A DAME GAME OR SOMETHING... SO IF YOU HAVE A CARD ON FILE WITH THEM YOUD BETTER TAKE IT OFF ASAP..LESSON LEARNED

Review by stev32k See Profile

• Location: Mobile,Mobile,AL
Good "The install was the best I've had. On time and the tech earned his money"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Wish I had switched a long time ago"

·Mediacom
·AT&T Southeast
Update 3/12/13

I canceled the DTV service. The service was good but the price was too high and we do not watch enough TV to justify the $90/mo they were charging. When I called to cancel I had to put up with a 15 minute sales pitch trying to talk me into staying with the service. They offered to reduce my bill to $60/month, or give me a lower priced package for even less. I told the lady if they had reduced my bill a year ago I might not be cancelling now.

They sent me a pre-paid shipping box to return the receivers. I thought that was a nice touch.

---------------------------------

Everything about DTV has been very good so far. The installation was completed the day after I signed up. The tech that did the install did a very good job. He completely re-wired the whole house. The existing cable was over 15 years old and he replaced all of it (and did a good job) without my asking.

I had Mediacom cable service for 12 years and thought they had pretty good picture quality, but DTV is better. It might be because of the new cable - not sure - but what ever the reason it is better. I love the DVR service. I never had it before now and it has made me enjoy TV as much as I use to. The HD channel line up is much better than Mediacom and the best part is the price is lower than Mediacom. Even after the introductory period (12 months) the full price will still be lower.

Edit April 9, 2012

After a little over a year I still like DTV very much. No problems with the service, picture, or anything else so far. I think there was one outage that lasted for about 5 or 10 minutes during a bad thunder storm. The picture I get on my Panasonic Plasma TV is amazing and several people have commented on it - I think one has since switched to DTV from Comcast.

Comments:

socrates

@sonic.net

Nightmare with Direct TV

I had Direct TV FOR 2 YEARS. IT WAS A NIGHTMARE, WITH CONSTANT SERVICE PROBLEMS REGARDING TV SERVICE. THE RECEIVERS WERE CONSTANTLY OUT AND HAD TO BE FIXED BY THEIR SERVICE REP. THERE WERE OUTAGES, BILLING PROBLEMS, FAULTY EQUIPMENT AND IT WAS A DISASTER. I FINALLY CANCELLED AFTER A TWO YEAR CONTRACT. THEY SENT THE RETURN BOXES FOR THE RECEIVERS TO THE WRONG ADDRESS. THEN THEY SAID THEY WOULD SEND THE BOXES TO MY ADDRESS IN A FEW DAYS. THEY LEFT ME A NOTE TO PICK UP AT THE POST OFFICE. I PICKED UP ONE BOX ONLY FOR TWO RECEIVERS, WHICH WAS INCORRECTLY SENT. THERE WERE SUPPOSE TO BE TWO BOXES FOR TWO RECEIVERS. I HAS TO PAY OUT OF POCKET TO SEND THE SECOND RECEIVER BACK AND WAS TRANSFERRED THREE TIMES BEFORE I FOUND A CUSTOMER SERVICE PERSON WHO KNEW ANYTHING, BUT DIDN'T KNOW MUCH. IT WAS THE OLD, "blame yourself for the wrong amount of boxes routine. I did tell them what I needed. Took 3 weeks to finally get boxes. Had to wait in line at the post office then figure out how to send the two receivers back. I paid for one receiver to go back to their facility in Ontario CA. This was a NIGHTMARE and I am so happy to not have to deal with this co any longer. They actually tried to talk me into resubscribing again....I DON'T THINK SO!!

na

unprofessional

Directv assholes suck they refuse to accomodate customers and are very unprofessional! Technicians lie and then you end up paying money because they messed up. Don't get directv

stev32k
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

Anomymous posters strike again

I love how all these anonymous posters seem to come out of the woodwork after every positive review. Surly they are not competitor employees - naw, they would not do that, would they?
bizmarks12

join:2012-06-05

Re: Anomymous posters strike again

You sound like a direcTV associate yourself. Why are you so bent on accusing people of being the competition? DirecTV sucks ass and that's that! They are thieves, they are unprofessional and I will never ever get DirecTV again. They accused me of skipping a payment which I never did, so hen I was ready to cancel, they debited $150 from my account. Bunch of assshole thieves and their services suck. Once they get you on the hook for a 2 year contract, they don't give a damn. They get rude and I even had a CSR hang up in my face. That's how much they care. DO NOT GET DIRECTV. Be warned!

stev32k
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

Re: Anomymous posters strike again

I had a long reply ready, but on second thought I'll just let your post speak for itself.
tomterrfcr

join:2012-06-25
Los Angeles, CA
Well, I'm not anonymous and my father was launch co-ordinator for Hughes Space and Communications Group which put up the satellites that DirecTV uses.

The minor bad things are that there is never anything to watch, and even though paying a fortune, there still were endless commercials, not only on programs but even on the menu!

The worst thing, though, is how dishonest the company is. They signed a contact with me for $29/mo. They then charged me $67/mo anyway. When I called them and faxed a copy of my contract, they said "So sue us."

I signed up in loyalty to my father and Hughes (for which I also worked for a while), but this is one of the worst and most dishonest companies I have ever dealt with, and is far, far removed from Hughes.
bizmarks12

join:2012-06-05

DirecTV is the worst!

Just be warned. DO NOT get DirecTV. They are a bunch of liars. At first, I was promised 2 HD boxes, which they did not give me. So when I called in to ask for my HD boxes, they said it was a mix up. Then the next month, they started charging me $10 for HD service that I did not have. Made that account bounce because those funds were set aside for paying bills. I was charged a $30 fee for overdraft and DTV would not pay it, even though it was their fault. Fast forward a few months, they reset my contract because I added some equipment. I was 18 days away from being done with my 2 year contract. Though I wanted to stay with them, this is VERY sneaky. Now am on the hook for 2 more years!
I decided enough is enough, and called UVerse. they offered to pay the early termination fee for me. They did not even demand that I sign a contract with them. This is what I call confidence in your brand!! I decided Ok. I will take that offer. So I called DTV and told them that I wanted to cancel. To my big surprise, they said that i had skipped a payment and that I owed $93 (an extra month)+ early termination fees. I asked how I could fight it but they said that this was something that I owed and had to pay up. They let me know that this amount and the termination fee would be debited from the card that I had on file, regardless. They act like a bunch of crooks/ thugs. I was so pissed that I payed the whole early termination fee+ $93 and I am free of direcTV I hope. They better not send any pamphlets, ads at my house because if DTV was the only cable provider left out there, I would rather do without than pay them a penny. I now moved to Uverse. Installation was quick and professional, I have 12MBps Internet + 360 channels and 3 HD boxes with whole house DVR, all for $104. I thought to myself they must be kidding! And no they are not. My first bill came up and it was $104 for cable TV and very high speed Internet (No contract- I could cancel tomorrow if I wanted to but why should I? service is excellent). Oh and by the way, when i asked direcTV for HD service, they said that I would have to buy HD boxes at $200 a pop AND pay for installation. Need I repeat that HD service is included in my UVerse installation?!
I am not here to glorify UVerse because I know that corporations are all the same. They always try to rape the little guy off of his money but hey, so far am happy with AT&T. So no matter what you do, DO NOT GET DIRECTV!!!! Move to Time Warner cable/ Adelphia, FIOS, DISH, whatever ..... anything but DIRECTV. They are a bunch of thieves with no conscience!
tomterrfcr

join:2012-06-25
Los Angeles, CA

Avoid DirecTV like the plague!

Never anything to watch, and even though paying a fortune, there still were endless commercials, not only on programs but even on the menu!

My father was a co-ordinator of the Hughes Satellites which DirecTV uses, and I signed up in loyalty to him, but this is one of the worst and most dishonest companies I have ever dealt with, and is far, far removed from Hughes.

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
·PHONE POWER
·VOIPO

All are about the same

These over the top accusations in ALL CAPS sound like they are coming from somebody who is unhinged... They are CROOKS! No, they are THIEVES! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!1I1! Frankly, you don't sound very convincing.

I've had DirecTV, Dish, and Time Warner over last 10 years. They are all about the same. Time Warner has a bigger selection of free Video-on-demand; DirecTV is a little cheaper. They also have better technical support folks on the phone than Time Warner. TW was quicker to dispatch a technician (Level 1 support often made these decisions without even getting to L2), those guys were quite knowledgeable but in several cases the problem was on the server, and the trip wasn't really necessary.

TW has better web-based programming tools, but DirecTV has a more liberal watching policies - my wife often watches the shows on her computer at work.

From billing perspective didn't have any problems with either of them. Time Warner requested that I return the receivers to the office (which is next to my daughter's school, so it wasn't a big deal); I did but TW didn't process it properly. So, they put a charge of $50 for technician visit. The first person on the phone didn't have a clue, but the supervisor apologized and reversed the charges. DirecTV sent boxes for DVRs; they didn't need non-DVR receivers. Don't remember what happened with Dish, but didn't have any problems either.

THEY ARE THE SAME!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

upset

@sbcglobal.net

changing customer policy and hidden fees from Direct TV

Initially the service with Direct TV was good, but we found a better deal with AT&T U-verse.

When it came time to cancel, we asked multiple times if there was a cancellation fee.

Months later we received a bill for a cancellation fee. Now over a year later we are still getting harassed by a collection agency.

How come Direct TV does not listen to all those recorded phone conversations and acknowledge that one of their agents assured us that there would be no cancellation fee?????

Review by karenarnold See Profile

• Location: Lewisville,Denton,TX
Mail,DNS,News:

They were extermely late. I had to keep calling them when they were not there at promised times. They did not want to give me advertised discounts and then overcharged me for first three months. When I disconnected my service after 6 months fee was $360.00 I set up payment arrangements and started meeting monthly payments after two months I started receiving calls from a collection agency. They had failed to tell me if not paid in full within two months this would happen. Collection agency is very rude and even though you are making payments to them as well they call every two days. If not paid within 1 month it will go against your credit.

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
·T-Mobile US

I wouldn't pay them anything!

karenarnold, it's people like you that encourage them to try to get away with stuff like this! If they tried to overcharge me at the beginning I wouldn't pay they anymore until it was all straightened out. I certainly wouldn't pay them anything after it was cancelled!
join:2012-06-11

If they want to harass you then...

you need to harass them. Have a lawyer write a brief letter indicating that they have violated their terms and that you will see them in court. The best thing for you is that it is pretty clear that they were REFUSING to act in good faith when it came to the terms of your agreement. Also inform them that you will contacting the state attorney general, the BBB, and the local TV station about your situation. That needs to be sent Certified Return Receipt Requested to be opened only by the CEO of the company.

You will get a quick and satisfactory resolution for your trouble.
jli

join:2013-02-20
Pleasanton, CA

Price increase from DIRECTV

I noticed that on my March DIRECTV bill, there is a fee increase over the February bill with no service change. So I called just to find out the reason for the increase. I was told that DIRECTV had a review of their service and decided that in order to maintain the quality and the level of service, they need to adjust the Choice Xtra plan to Xtra plan with a fee increase. In addition to that, there is a $5.00 (22.5%) increase of Advance Receiver monthly rental fee. So, I asked them that if they were allowed to increase the price, would we, the customers, be able to terminate the contract prior to the two-year term? This is the 6th month using their service and I have already seen a 22.5% increase on the existing equipment alone, what change should I expect for the rest of the contract term. They told me that I could not terminate the plan before the two year term was up. If I do, I will be billed at a prorated service fee. So I asked to speak to the supervisor. He advised me that my basic service plan fee will not change for 12 mos, the price increase was caused by the $5 increase of Advance Receiver Rental fee ($25 now vs. $20 before). I argued that the receiver is hardware, sitting there in my house being depreciated at an accelerated pace day after day. How in the world can the 22.5% rental fee increase over 6 month period be justified? I encourage everyone to take a look at your new bill to see whether this price change has affected you. The important thing is not about $5 price difference, is about the contractual principles. The terms should be binding to both parties. Any price increase should be reasonable (new equipment or added service). I am surprised that no one has sued DIRECTV for such kind of business conduct.

Upset

@insightbb.com

Re: Price increase from DIRECTV

My bill goes up every single month. Usually around $7/month. The first year, it stayed the same every month, and the second year, my bill has doubled and has new stuff on it I did not add. Also, they told me that because I got a new box when I moved (which when I asked the people at set-up they said no) they automatically added another year to my contract. I specifically asked them at set-up and they said no. Now, no matter how many supervisors I speak to, its the same: too bad. They said when you change anything you automatically have another year added. Even if I want to lower my plan since its astronomical now. I thought Insight was bad...
boss

join:2013-04-07
for the record the price increase took affect on EVERYONE that has an advanced reciever, it is also in the directv contract that it is subject to change as far as price goes. it is binding on both sides. you are more than capable to read the contract before signing up and and know what youre getting into before hand

hola

@bellsouth.net
direct tv is horrible!!! they steal your money! don't even think in signing a contract with them. Literally they will steal your money

• Location: Suwanee,Gwinnett,GA
Good "Initial connection was ok"
Bad "Direct TV will quietly bill your credit card after you disconnect"
Overall "I would NEVER do business with this company. They are thieves."
Mail,DNS,News:

Beware Direct TV, they will attempt to quietly bill your credit card while NOT providing service after you cancel. I have caught them three times doing this and they have issued credits the first two times. Now on the third time they are refusing to do so. If they insist on billing I plan to report them to the police. It is no different than breaking into your home and stealing. They have not sent the return address for the return of the box after repeated requests. When I called American Express to make sure they can not bill, the person there said she had experienced the same thing! They are modern day thieves. Be careful if you decide to do business with them.

(review was emailed from domain ymail.com)

Comments:
dplantz

join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA

did you cancel before your 2 year term was up?

Directv charges a prorated amount per month to cancel before your two year contract is over its currently 20 per month. Did you cancel before 24 months? Not return equipment. They are not thieves, just wanting the contracted termination fee just like a cellphone company would charge for terminating a 2 year contract early. I love my Directv service and to not know that you are in a contract is not a reason to call them thieves.
join:2012-06-11

Typical fraudulent practices at DirecTV.

I also had problems with DirecTV.

I fulfilled my obligations with my 2 year contract to the T. I called to cancel. They connected me to retentions and I had to deal with the most obnoxious threatening idiot I have ever experienced at ANY company in all my years of dealing with customer service.

READ MY REVIEW !

I agree DirecTV are scam artists and fraudsters.

Review by fractal67

• Location: Winchester,Clark,KY
Good "incompetent"
Bad "fraudulent?"
Overall "More than one way to overcharge"

When I cancelled my Direct TV account last November, they overcharged my
credit card by $549. When I challenged this charge with the credit card
company, Direct TV did not respond to the card company's inquiries so they
reversed the charges. In addition, DirectTV alleges that they mailed me a
refund check for $549. I have not received this check. During a
conversation on January 23, I told a company representative that I had not
received the check and suggested that they stop payment on it and reconcile
my account because the amount of this check is the only amount that I owe
them. They refused claiming that the best that they could do is reissue
the check in 60 days if the check remains uncashed, but in the meantime I
still need to reimburse them for this check that they supposedly sent me.
Today (2/2) a representative told me that the check has been cashed and
that I need to pay the bill. They are researching the check and I can call
back in 10 days about this check. In the meantime I am supposed to pay
them money that I do not owe them.

Annette McGrew

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Jay FR Va

@embarqhsd.net

Direct TV, straw that broke the camel's back.

I finally had enough and kicked Direct TV to the curb after my system quit working again for the third time in the past 5 years. I've been using them since the 90's, and over the years I've watched the programming get worse, and the pricing increase. Their current offers are cheaper than what they are willing to give to their "loyal customers" unless you threaten them with cancellation. After being a loyal customer for 10+ years, I shouldn't have to threaten them, to get them to repair the system again.

My system went out a few days ago. I contacted DTV last night, and asked if they would repair the system once again? Answer was no, unless I paid them $50 or agreed to a monthly service agreement on top of the $128 I already give them a month. I said OK, I really don't want a service call, nor a protection plan. I am thinking about upgrading to HD anyway, can you upgrade my package (going to hd requires a new install anyway). Reply, no dice, we don't have any offers for you.

So today I call them back to cancel my account, but wait, now they want to bend over backwards and kiss my a**. They want to repair the system for free and give me a new package. But you know what, to hell with them, I should not have to threaten these bozos just to get them to fix their crappy equipment or offer an upgrade to me that they are offering to their new customers. These people are just as bad as some used car salespeople.

I'm done with DTV, I've ordered Dish instead, maybe they will do better, maybe not. I guess there always is cable