DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by Mr_A1 See Profile

• Location: Dickson,Dickson,TN
Good "Matched or better value than AT&T UVerse with superior HD picture quality"
Overall "If you want great picture quality for the price consider Directv."
Mail,DNS,News:

I switched back to Directv from AT&T UVerse after an almost 2 year break; I cannot believe I actually tried UVerse and kept it as long as I did. The install was short with an update to a SWiM LNB with DECA and an HR24-100 DVR. The picture quality to 1000x better than UVerse ever was and no DD sound issues as with UVerse, which caused me to use just stereo instead of DD. Now, with the new HDGUI and other new items coming out, Directv is starting to jump ahead of the competition.

member for 10 years, 3495 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

RandyButler

@embarqhsd.net

unscrupulous business practices

In Dec Directv agent came to mom's home, sold her a package. (78 years old on
social security). I (son, on ss also) agreed to pay the up front $50 up for her. Used
my ATM with agreement, no auto billing.(Not my account) Billing to be moved to her
(mom's) Centurylink bill next month (Jan.) Promised would not be charged for premimum
channels following trial period, turn them off.

The install, a fiasco. System never worked correctly. What hardware that does work,
extremely buggy. Tried to bill for their new bad hardware (3 mo old). Tech stole
a 5V power supply, used it where 12v was needed, left trash over house, yard. Obviously
no testing, no explanations (installed late Friday)

Billing with Centurylink never happened. I was good guy, paid January bill online
because they billed ME online (not mine!). February's, they illegally hit my ATM. In March,
illegally hit my ATM, including cost of premimum channels. March withdrawal caused
bounced checks and to miss Easter with my children.

My kids are hurt. The junk doesn't work. I am out big bucks! They refuse to return money
they stole from me for somebody Else's bill.

This is wire fraud and id theft! watch out it is a scam. Legal action in progress.

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX

I had Direct TV for 2 years and at least 3 times per year I would have a
serious problem. One time they added an NFL Football channel to my package
without my consent and charged me an extra $35 per month. I called and they
told me that they did that as a "favor" apparently thinking I wanted it but
was too stupid to order it. I never watch NFL Football. When I finally
cancelled I paid the $180 penalty and then they also hit my credit card for
an additional cancellation fee, doubling the cancellation charge. When I
called, I was told that it takes 30 days for them to generate a credit
adjustment on a credit card account. They did not have my authorization to
charge my credit card in the first place. If any readers want to use Direct
TV, be sure to check every invoice for over charges (there will be many) and
never give them a credit card number.

(review was emailed from domain sbcglobal.net)
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

ihatedirectv

I hate direct tv

I ABSOLUTELY HATE DIRECT TV THEY TOOK 600.00 OUT OFF MY DEBIT CARD WITHOUT PERMISSSION ,EXCEPT IT WAS ALREADY "ON FILE" FOR CANCELLING THEIR HIGH ASS BULLSHIT SERVICE THATS ALOT TO CANCEL A CONTRACT DONT YA THINK ANYWHO I TRIED TO EVERYTHING TO GET MY MONEY BACK AND THEY TOLD ME THAT IF I RE-ACTIVATE THE SERVICE THEYD GIVE IT BACK..LIKE A DAME GAME OR SOMETHING... SO IF YOU HAVE A CARD ON FILE WITH THEM YOUD BETTER TAKE IT OFF ASAP..LESSON LEARNED

Review by stev32k See Profile

• Location: Mobile,Mobile,AL
Good "The install was the best I've had. On time and the tech earned his money"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Wish I had switched a long time ago"

·Mediacom
·AT&T Southeast
Update 3/12/13

I canceled the DTV service. The service was good but the price was too high and we do not watch enough TV to justify the $90/mo they were charging. When I called to cancel I had to put up with a 15 minute sales pitch trying to talk me into staying with the service. They offered to reduce my bill to $60/month, or give me a lower priced package for even less. I told the lady if they had reduced my bill a year ago I might not be cancelling now.

They sent me a pre-paid shipping box to return the receivers. I thought that was a nice touch.

---------------------------------

Everything about DTV has been very good so far. The installation was completed the day after I signed up. The tech that did the install did a very good job. He completely re-wired the whole house. The existing cable was over 15 years old and he replaced all of it (and did a good job) without my asking.

I had Mediacom cable service for 12 years and thought they had pretty good picture quality, but DTV is better. It might be because of the new cable - not sure - but what ever the reason it is better. I love the DVR service. I never had it before now and it has made me enjoy TV as much as I use to. The HD channel line up is much better than Mediacom and the best part is the price is lower than Mediacom. Even after the introductory period (12 months) the full price will still be lower.

Edit April 9, 2012

After a little over a year I still like DTV very much. No problems with the service, picture, or anything else so far. I think there was one outage that lasted for about 5 or 10 minutes during a bad thunder storm. The picture I get on my Panasonic Plasma TV is amazing and several people have commented on it - I think one has since switched to DTV from Comcast.

Comments:

socrates

@sonic.net

Nightmare with Direct TV

I had Direct TV FOR 2 YEARS. IT WAS A NIGHTMARE, WITH CONSTANT SERVICE PROBLEMS REGARDING TV SERVICE. THE RECEIVERS WERE CONSTANTLY OUT AND HAD TO BE FIXED BY THEIR SERVICE REP. THERE WERE OUTAGES, BILLING PROBLEMS, FAULTY EQUIPMENT AND IT WAS A DISASTER. I FINALLY CANCELLED AFTER A TWO YEAR CONTRACT. THEY SENT THE RETURN BOXES FOR THE RECEIVERS TO THE WRONG ADDRESS. THEN THEY SAID THEY WOULD SEND THE BOXES TO MY ADDRESS IN A FEW DAYS. THEY LEFT ME A NOTE TO PICK UP AT THE POST OFFICE. I PICKED UP ONE BOX ONLY FOR TWO RECEIVERS, WHICH WAS INCORRECTLY SENT. THERE WERE SUPPOSE TO BE TWO BOXES FOR TWO RECEIVERS. I HAS TO PAY OUT OF POCKET TO SEND THE SECOND RECEIVER BACK AND WAS TRANSFERRED THREE TIMES BEFORE I FOUND A CUSTOMER SERVICE PERSON WHO KNEW ANYTHING, BUT DIDN'T KNOW MUCH. IT WAS THE OLD, "blame yourself for the wrong amount of boxes routine. I did tell them what I needed. Took 3 weeks to finally get boxes. Had to wait in line at the post office then figure out how to send the two receivers back. I paid for one receiver to go back to their facility in Ontario CA. This was a NIGHTMARE and I am so happy to not have to deal with this co any longer. They actually tried to talk me into resubscribing again....I DON'T THINK SO!!

na

@myvzw.com

unprofessional

Directv assholes suck they refuse to accomodate customers and are very unprofessional! Technicians lie and then you end up paying money because they messed up. Don't get directv

stev32k
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

Anomymous posters strike again

I love how all these anonymous posters seem to come out of the woodwork after every positive review. Surly they are not competitor employees - naw, they would not do that, would they?
bizmarks12

join:2012-06-05

Re: Anomymous posters strike again

You sound like a direcTV associate yourself. Why are you so bent on accusing people of being the competition? DirecTV sucks ass and that's that! They are thieves, they are unprofessional and I will never ever get DirecTV again. They accused me of skipping a payment which I never did, so hen I was ready to cancel, they debited $150 from my account. Bunch of assshole thieves and their services suck. Once they get you on the hook for a 2 year contract, they don't give a damn. They get rude and I even had a CSR hang up in my face. That's how much they care. DO NOT GET DIRECTV. Be warned!

stev32k
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

Re: Anomymous posters strike again

I had a long reply ready, but on second thought I'll just let your post speak for itself.
tomterrfcr

join:2012-06-25
Los Angeles, CA
Well, I'm not anonymous and my father was launch co-ordinator for Hughes Space and Communications Group which put up the satellites that DirecTV uses.

The minor bad things are that there is never anything to watch, and even though paying a fortune, there still were endless commercials, not only on programs but even on the menu!

The worst thing, though, is how dishonest the company is. They signed a contact with me for $29/mo. They then charged me $67/mo anyway. When I called them and faxed a copy of my contract, they said "So sue us."

I signed up in loyalty to my father and Hughes (for which I also worked for a while), but this is one of the worst and most dishonest companies I have ever dealt with, and is far, far removed from Hughes.
bizmarks12

join:2012-06-05

DirecTV is the worst!

Just be warned. DO NOT get DirecTV. They are a bunch of liars. At first, I was promised 2 HD boxes, which they did not give me. So when I called in to ask for my HD boxes, they said it was a mix up. Then the next month, they started charging me $10 for HD service that I did not have. Made that account bounce because those funds were set aside for paying bills. I was charged a $30 fee for overdraft and DTV would not pay it, even though it was their fault. Fast forward a few months, they reset my contract because I added some equipment. I was 18 days away from being done with my 2 year contract. Though I wanted to stay with them, this is VERY sneaky. Now am on the hook for 2 more years!
I decided enough is enough, and called UVerse. they offered to pay the early termination fee for me. They did not even demand that I sign a contract with them. This is what I call confidence in your brand!! I decided Ok. I will take that offer. So I called DTV and told them that I wanted to cancel. To my big surprise, they said that i had skipped a payment and that I owed $93 (an extra month)+ early termination fees. I asked how I could fight it but they said that this was something that I owed and had to pay up. They let me know that this amount and the termination fee would be debited from the card that I had on file, regardless. They act like a bunch of crooks/ thugs. I was so pissed that I payed the whole early termination fee+ $93 and I am free of direcTV I hope. They better not send any pamphlets, ads at my house because if DTV was the only cable provider left out there, I would rather do without than pay them a penny. I now moved to Uverse. Installation was quick and professional, I have 12MBps Internet + 360 channels and 3 HD boxes with whole house DVR, all for $104. I thought to myself they must be kidding! And no they are not. My first bill came up and it was $104 for cable TV and very high speed Internet (No contract- I could cancel tomorrow if I wanted to but why should I? service is excellent). Oh and by the way, when i asked direcTV for HD service, they said that I would have to buy HD boxes at $200 a pop AND pay for installation. Need I repeat that HD service is included in my UVerse installation?!
I am not here to glorify UVerse because I know that corporations are all the same. They always try to rape the little guy off of his money but hey, so far am happy with AT&T. So no matter what you do, DO NOT GET DIRECTV!!!! Move to Time Warner cable/ Adelphia, FIOS, DISH, whatever ..... anything but DIRECTV. They are a bunch of thieves with no conscience!
tomterrfcr

join:2012-06-25
Los Angeles, CA

Avoid DirecTV like the plague!

Never anything to watch, and even though paying a fortune, there still were endless commercials, not only on programs but even on the menu!

My father was a co-ordinator of the Hughes Satellites which DirecTV uses, and I signed up in loyalty to him, but this is one of the worst and most dishonest companies I have ever dealt with, and is far, far removed from Hughes.

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
·PHONE POWER
·VOIPO
·callwithus

All are about the same

These over the top accusations in ALL CAPS sound like they are coming from somebody who is unhinged... They are CROOKS! No, they are THIEVES! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!1I1! Frankly, you don't sound very convincing.

I've had DirecTV, Dish, and Time Warner over last 10 years. They are all about the same. Time Warner has a bigger selection of free Video-on-demand; DirecTV is a little cheaper. They also have better technical support folks on the phone than Time Warner. TW was quicker to dispatch a technician (Level 1 support often made these decisions without even getting to L2), those guys were quite knowledgeable but in several cases the problem was on the server, and the trip wasn't really necessary.

TW has better web-based programming tools, but DirecTV has a more liberal watching policies - my wife often watches the shows on her computer at work.

From billing perspective didn't have any problems with either of them. Time Warner requested that I return the receivers to the office (which is next to my daughter's school, so it wasn't a big deal); I did but TW didn't process it properly. So, they put a charge of $50 for technician visit. The first person on the phone didn't have a clue, but the supervisor apologized and reversed the charges. DirecTV sent boxes for DVRs; they didn't need non-DVR receivers. Don't remember what happened with Dish, but didn't have any problems either.

THEY ARE THE SAME!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

upset

@sbcglobal.net

changing customer policy and hidden fees from Direct TV

Initially the service with Direct TV was good, but we found a better deal with AT&T U-verse.

When it came time to cancel, we asked multiple times if there was a cancellation fee.

Months later we received a bill for a cancellation fee. Now over a year later we are still getting harassed by a collection agency.

How come Direct TV does not listen to all those recorded phone conversations and acknowledge that one of their agents assured us that there would be no cancellation fee?????

Review by karenarnold See Profile

• Location: Lewisville,Denton,TX
Mail,DNS,News:

They were extermely late. I had to keep calling them when they were not there at promised times. They did not want to give me advertised discounts and then overcharged me for first three months. When I disconnected my service after 6 months fee was $360.00 I set up payment arrangements and started meeting monthly payments after two months I started receiving calls from a collection agency. They had failed to tell me if not paid in full within two months this would happen. Collection agency is very rude and even though you are making payments to them as well they call every two days. If not paid within 1 month it will go against your credit.

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
·T-Mobile US
·Sipgate VOIP

I wouldn't pay them anything!

karenarnold, it's people like you that encourage them to try to get away with stuff like this! If they tried to overcharge me at the beginning I wouldn't pay they anymore until it was all straightened out. I certainly wouldn't pay them anything after it was cancelled!

·DIRECTV

If they want to harass you then...

you need to harass them. Have a lawyer write a brief letter indicating that they have violated their terms and that you will see them in court. The best thing for you is that it is pretty clear that they were REFUSING to act in good faith when it came to the terms of your agreement. Also inform them that you will contacting the state attorney general, the BBB, and the local TV station about your situation. That needs to be sent Certified Return Receipt Requested to be opened only by the CEO of the company.

You will get a quick and satisfactory resolution for your trouble.
jli

join:2013-02-20
Pleasanton, CA

Price increase from DIRECTV

I noticed that on my March DIRECTV bill, there is a fee increase over the February bill with no service change. So I called just to find out the reason for the increase. I was told that DIRECTV had a review of their service and decided that in order to maintain the quality and the level of service, they need to adjust the Choice Xtra plan to Xtra plan with a fee increase. In addition to that, there is a $5.00 (22.5%) increase of Advance Receiver monthly rental fee. So, I asked them that if they were allowed to increase the price, would we, the customers, be able to terminate the contract prior to the two-year term? This is the 6th month using their service and I have already seen a 22.5% increase on the existing equipment alone, what change should I expect for the rest of the contract term. They told me that I could not terminate the plan before the two year term was up. If I do, I will be billed at a prorated service fee. So I asked to speak to the supervisor. He advised me that my basic service plan fee will not change for 12 mos, the price increase was caused by the $5 increase of Advance Receiver Rental fee ($25 now vs. $20 before). I argued that the receiver is hardware, sitting there in my house being depreciated at an accelerated pace day after day. How in the world can the 22.5% rental fee increase over 6 month period be justified? I encourage everyone to take a look at your new bill to see whether this price change has affected you. The important thing is not about $5 price difference, is about the contractual principles. The terms should be binding to both parties. Any price increase should be reasonable (new equipment or added service). I am surprised that no one has sued DIRECTV for such kind of business conduct.

Upset

@insightbb.com

Re: Price increase from DIRECTV

My bill goes up every single month. Usually around $7/month. The first year, it stayed the same every month, and the second year, my bill has doubled and has new stuff on it I did not add. Also, they told me that because I got a new box when I moved (which when I asked the people at set-up they said no) they automatically added another year to my contract. I specifically asked them at set-up and they said no. Now, no matter how many supervisors I speak to, its the same: too bad. They said when you change anything you automatically have another year added. Even if I want to lower my plan since its astronomical now. I thought Insight was bad...
boss

join:2013-04-07
for the record the price increase took affect on EVERYONE that has an advanced reciever, it is also in the directv contract that it is subject to change as far as price goes. it is binding on both sides. you are more than capable to read the contract before signing up and and know what youre getting into before hand

hola

@bellsouth.net
direct tv is horrible!!! they steal your money! don't even think in signing a contract with them. Literally they will steal your money

• Location: Suwanee,Gwinnett,GA
Good "Initial connection was ok"
Bad "Direct TV will quietly bill your credit card after you disconnect"
Overall "I would NEVER do business with this company. They are thieves."
Mail,DNS,News:

Beware Direct TV, they will attempt to quietly bill your credit card while NOT providing service after you cancel. I have caught them three times doing this and they have issued credits the first two times. Now on the third time they are refusing to do so. If they insist on billing I plan to report them to the police. It is no different than breaking into your home and stealing. They have not sent the return address for the return of the box after repeated requests. When I called American Express to make sure they can not bill, the person there said she had experienced the same thing! They are modern day thieves. Be careful if you decide to do business with them.

(review was emailed from domain ymail.com)

Comments:
dplantz

join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA
·RCN CABLE

did you cancel before your 2 year term was up?

Directv charges a prorated amount per month to cancel before your two year contract is over its currently 20 per month. Did you cancel before 24 months? Not return equipment. They are not thieves, just wanting the contracted termination fee just like a cellphone company would charge for terminating a 2 year contract early. I love my Directv service and to not know that you are in a contract is not a reason to call them thieves.

·DIRECTV

Typical fraudulent practices at DirecTV.

I also had problems with DirecTV.

I fulfilled my obligations with my 2 year contract to the T. I called to cancel. They connected me to retentions and I had to deal with the most obnoxious threatening idiot I have ever experienced at ANY company in all my years of dealing with customer service.

READ MY REVIEW !

I agree DirecTV are scam artists and fraudsters.

Review by fractal67

• Location: Winchester,Clark,KY
Good "incompetent"
Bad "fraudulent?"
Overall "More than one way to overcharge"

When I cancelled my Direct TV account last November, they overcharged my
credit card by $549. When I challenged this charge with the credit card
company, Direct TV did not respond to the card company's inquiries so they
reversed the charges. In addition, DirectTV alleges that they mailed me a
refund check for $549. I have not received this check. During a
conversation on January 23, I told a company representative that I had not
received the check and suggested that they stop payment on it and reconcile
my account because the amount of this check is the only amount that I owe
them. They refused claiming that the best that they could do is reissue
the check in 60 days if the check remains uncashed, but in the meantime I
still need to reimburse them for this check that they supposedly sent me.
Today (2/2) a representative told me that the check has been cashed and
that I need to pay the bill. They are researching the check and I can call
back in 10 days about this check. In the meantime I am supposed to pay
them money that I do not owe them.

Annette McGrew

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Jay FR Va

@embarqhsd.net

Direct TV, straw that broke the camel's back.

I finally had enough and kicked Direct TV to the curb after my system quit working again for the third time in the past 5 years. I've been using them since the 90's, and over the years I've watched the programming get worse, and the pricing increase. Their current offers are cheaper than what they are willing to give to their "loyal customers" unless you threaten them with cancellation. After being a loyal customer for 10+ years, I shouldn't have to threaten them, to get them to repair the system again.

My system went out a few days ago. I contacted DTV last night, and asked if they would repair the system once again? Answer was no, unless I paid them $50 or agreed to a monthly service agreement on top of the $128 I already give them a month. I said OK, I really don't want a service call, nor a protection plan. I am thinking about upgrading to HD anyway, can you upgrade my package (going to hd requires a new install anyway). Reply, no dice, we don't have any offers for you.

So today I call them back to cancel my account, but wait, now they want to bend over backwards and kiss my a**. They want to repair the system for free and give me a new package. But you know what, to hell with them, I should not have to threaten these bozos just to get them to fix their crappy equipment or offer an upgrade to me that they are offering to their new customers. These people are just as bad as some used car salespeople.

I'm done with DTV, I've ordered Dish instead, maybe they will do better, maybe not. I guess there always is cable

Review by GINA MM See Profile

• Location: Granby,Hampshire,MA
Bad "all they tell you are lies and its a scam"
Overall "the people you talk to over the phone are so clueless! and make up crap"
Mail,DNS,News:

1st Id like to start off by saying iv had to call direct tv 4 times in two days. I began by calling to sign up for direct tv. I spoke with a man who told me that I could get 150 channels and internet for $59.99 a month, with the free movies channels ( HBO, SHOWTIME, ect) for 3 montha. I thought that was a great deal. and plus I had a refer a friend and get 10 bucks off plus another 10 bucks off with my AAA membership. the man told me that id have to call a different number for the AAA discount cuz he was unable to do it. ok fine, not a big deal. I call the number, a woman answered and said she was unable to process it cuz she was the wrong department and mentioned that i could only use one discount at a time. so I called back the main number to talk to someone about it. she said she was able to give me both disounts. I thought great! that was easy to deal with. then she tells me i have to be charged $21.23 in order to use my AAA for the shipping, handling and processing. which is crap since they advertise everywhere that you dont have to pay for ANY of this. so whatever i agreed... the stupid lady charged me twice! so i had to call back and have them credit my account.

ok so now I call the number the 1st man I spoke with to have someone hook up my internet which is verizon, comes to find out that price he gave me DID NOT include the internet! it was another $30.00! plus tax and i also had to pay $44.00 for the modem and installation! AND i had to pay extra for a phone that i didnt want in the 1st place since i have a cell phone. I told the woman the issues iv had that day with direct tv. so she told me she would wave the $44.00 and she would put that in the comfirmation letter, so in the end of our coversation I mentioned about her putting it in the comfirmation letter and she said that the FEES were waved for that day so i didnt have to pay it that day but id get the bill in the mail! now correct me if im wrong but waiving a fee means i dont get charged! not delay the charge to a later date. need less to say with all this B.S I didnt go through with it. I went with charter instead where i dont need a phone.

The next day i called them back to ask them something about the mvoie package deals they advertised online, they told me the price, i mentioned id have 20 bucks off a month with my discounts. well now they are saying that i CANT have both!!!!!! after everything I went through with this company and the bad expeirence im cancling my cable as well!!!!!! I cant believe this place and how these employees all say something different and when I ask to speak with a supervisor or manager they wouldnt let me! she talked to them but had me on mute so i have no idea if she was even telling her boss my correct infomation. I am done with this company and i will NEVER reccomend them to anyone! On the AAA websiter its says you can use both discounts and dirct tv told me I could then I couldnt. they all have differnt stories and this is the worst company ever! I wish I read the reviwews before signing up. However atlease im not stuck in a contract! thats the only good thing coming out of my experience. VERY POOR customer service!

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Should have done some research first...

Apparently everyone but you knows that DirectTV is just TV and doesn't include internet.

·DIRECTV

DirecTV uses Deceptive practices dealing with customers~!

Re: Should have done some research first...

The real issue here is that DirecTV "customer NO service" must be the worst customer NO service in ANY consumer business period.

I was a good customer, paid with autopay, and fulfilled my two year contract to the T. When I called to cancel it was an absolute nightmare, and was THE WORST customer NO service I have EVER dealt with in ANY business in my entire 30 years of dealing with customer service reps

Re: DirecTV uses Deceptive practices dealing with customers~!

Direct TV expects me to pay for a refund check that I never received. When I cancelled my service, Direct TV overbilled me by more than $500. I thought my credit card protected me by reversing the charge. When they did that, Direct TV claims to have issued a check for the overcharge. Now, I am supposed to repay them for this "error" even though I have never received this check. On Jan. 23, this check had not been cashed and I suggested that they stop payment. They claimed that they could not do that. The best they could do is reissue the check in 60 days, but in the meantime I should pay the amount that I "owe" them. Now, the check has supposedly been cashed and I can call in 10 days to find out the results of their research, but in the meantime, I should pay the bill they invented.

Review by NYGiants See Profile

• Location: Bowling Green,Caroline,VA
Good "Service, reliablity, quality, better channel selection than dish"
Bad "Price of service"
Overall "Fraud, Fraud, Fraud (changes package without warning)"

We have had direcTV for over 10 years and the signal is 100 percent all the time execpt for tornado warnings. They have the most channels(at times) but the highest price and they scammed us by raising our packages without consent. Also local channels go out when national channels are on! The installation was below average. Programming (SD) costs almost 120 bucks a month! The only channels we watch are.

- Animal Planet
- ESPN and NFL network
- TV Land
- Nick
- BET, Centric, and MTV
-BUT HAVE TO PAY 120 BUCKS!

*Highest package (automatically switched from basic to highest = WTF!

November 20th update

-Local TV outages are due to ceiling fan is on same circuit as boxes.
- Kept TV on and when light is on the box gets no signal, I then cut off the light and my channel shows up.

Comments:

Rados

Waste of time

I have been a loyal DTV customer for over 15 yrs. NO MORE!!! We are moving into a new place and the joker fielding the call for DTV was a real idiot. He kept telling me of all the FREE stuff he was throwing in and it took over 20 minutes to even get a price out of him. The specials they advertise on line didn't pertain to me and when I asked him why he had no answer. Its like he was reading from a script and didn't really know anything at all. I'M OUT!!! Can't stand dealing with this company...Look at other options first--You will be glad you did.....

angie

@frontiernet.net

Re: Waste of time

direct tv likes to harass pple even tho they make a payment plan but they still call everyday.... not good dish is better.

sucks

@fabenobgyn.com
I HAVE BEEN A COSTUMER SINCE 2004, THE PROMISSED MOVIE PACKAGE NFL SEASON TICKET WITH MOVE. I HAVE NOT SEEN NOTHING YET. 2ND ROOM TV HAS NOT WORKED SINCE 11TH AND TODAY IS 18, THERE COSTUMER SERVICE SUCKS.THEY PROMISE THEY WILL CALL WITHIN 24 HRS TO SET UP APPOINTMENT AND THEY NEVER DO. SO TODAY WHEN I GET HOME THEY WILL FIND ALL THERE EQUIPMENT BY THE ROAD. THEY HAVE HAD GOOD SERVICE I DNT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED? THEY SUCK NOW.

UnhappyCust1

LIES

When I first enrolled in DirecTV I was quoted $29.99 a month for a year. I was excited! Then after the first month, the bill I recieved was $35.00. Not what I was promised, but still, not too bad. The next few months it seemed to increase 10, 15 dollars everytime. I am positive they nickel and dime you and all the while, we are clueless because they convince you to sign up for their auto draft system for $10 off per month, yet another lie. And don't get me started on the "Free HD for Life" what a crock. It dissappears and can never be reinstated if you downgrade a tier. I dropped ONE tier and *poof* it was gone. So much for free for life. I have been on the phone with them at least once per month since I became a customer, and cannot wait until my contract runs out. The customer service reps can put any discounts they want on it, it just depends on their mood when they answer your phone call. This month, my bill is $96.58. Just for tv, not internet, no DVR. Just Choice package and HD. Don't buy into their lies, it'll break the bank.

Re: LIES

I was with DirecTV for a couple of years, their customer service is
almost nonexistent.

SD picture quality is HORRIBLE looks like you are watching a YouTube video in lowest res with lots of digital blocks...the worst, DISH has the best SD picture quality, followed by most cable outlets.

CSRs are most rude the retention ass I spoke to was absolutely the worst CSR I have EVER spoken to in my 30 years of dealing with customer service reps. The guy was yelling at me and threatening as well kept me on the phone after I had requested to cancel at least TEN times.

It was so bad I wrote a snail mail return receipt requested to the former CEO of DirecTV, someone at the executive offices signed for the letter, but I never heard ONE PEEP from anyone at the executive offices!!!!!!!

Cancelled.

I hope this scam company goes out of business.

directv lies

@mpowercom.net

direct tv lies

when i first signed up they told me that if i moved all i would have to do is bring my box and just plug it in and it would work. i moved into a house that already had a direct tv satellite on it that they actually verified that it worked and they still charged me $200 to "activate it" which meant that a guy came and pressed a button and in 2 seconds it was magically on. later on we ended up moving to an apartment complex where i could not recieve satellite because of the apartment complex and they said they would have to charge me an "early termination fee" my ass. i told them i'm just not going to pay anything at all anymore and forget about them. screw direct tv they just take you for as much money as they can get away with!

toxfinity

@clearwire-wmx.net

searching for satellite signal

For the last past month I come home from work, pick up the remote control and all I get is...you guessed it! "searching for satellite signal. I'm home this week becomes I'm not feeling well. I have on the tv but guess what I'm watching...you guessed it! "searching for satellite signal". Called customer service to no avail! I have to pay them to be my own service technician to there faulty equipment! I am done....going back to my beloved Comcast...To Xfinity And Beyond!!!!!!!!
bull16

join:2013-01-22
Roy, UT

Re: searching for satellite signal

To get free service calls you need the protection plan. if you would of had that it would cover your equiptment and you wouldnt of had to pay a fee. simple as that

gnubee

Re: searching for satellite signal

Think about how you stated that. It would have covered your equipment. It wasn't his equipment. He is being charged to rent this equipment and use it. So if you ask me this company should make sure their equipment is working properly without extra cost!!

Wiccawoman

@cvgs.net

Re: searching for satellite signal

First off, Directv does not charge a lease fee. There is a $6 mirroring fee that is applied for every additional receiver but no monthly lease fee. When you first start service you get this equipment free it is leased yes but there are no lease fees. If you want to upgrade there may be a ONE time lease fee but not a recurring lease fee. And the protection plan covers your sattelite dish even though once it is installed it is YOUR property. And to be perfectly honest if there is something wrong with your equipment along the road then it is not Directv's fault. When they sent it to you it was working fine. It's not their fault if it develops a problem down the road. Please learn your facts.

unhappy new

@spcsdns.net

sham

I have had your service for 2weeks now & I want to let everyone know how horrible your company is being run. From the poor installation to the promotional promises u made that u refuse to honor. I have had to call on 4 different occasions regarding different issues with my service & have about 7 hours of my time wasted on the phone dealing with them just to get transferred to a total of 9 people between all 4 calls. Your company can't seem to patch me threw to anyone that knows what they are doing. Your services are a sham & your ripping off hard working people. U should be ashamed. I will make sure that I recommend to everyone I talk to not to use your services!! I will send as many emails, Facebook posts, tweets, letters & even publish articles in all the local papers in my area informing people of how u treat your customers. DO NOT SIGNUP FOR DIRECTV. THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF!!!

They picked the WRONG customer to screw with! LOL

See my post above.

When I sent their CEO a certified mail return receipt requested letter I expect as a paying customer that someone will look into the matter and at least send an brief summary of their findings....I felt my account security and private information was in jeopardy with that ass clown that was handing the cancellation of my account that day. The CSR was obnoxious, threatening, possibly off shore, and sure enough my personal info was all there in front of him on the computer screen...That is why although I was being abused and blustered at by this monkey I kept my composure and level head and proceeded to not let his outrageous behavior to get the best of me even though I was the customer.

You clowns at DirecTV goofed when you dropped the ball because I at EVERY possible opportunity post my horrific experience.

Whether it is on line, in person, or on the phone, I tell EVERYONE I speak to...... NEVER to subscribe to DirecTV.

thinking

scared

I am thinking of becoming a new customer after reading all these reviews I am afraid... IF I SIGN UP i want what is going to be promised to me and I dont need or ask for a lot... What can you do to make sure I get what I want or need ? And I want something in writing that if not happy or do not get what I am told I can cancel without penalty...

Re: scared - you should be

Based on my experiences, I STRONGLY advise against doing business with Direct TV. I thought my credit card would protect me from an outrageous overcharge, but they found a way around that protection. They claim that they have issued a check for the overcharge and that my card company should not have reversed the overcharge. Now, I am supposed to reimburse them for a check that I have not received - and they can't produce a copy of it. I can't prove it, but this seems like fraud and harassment to me. At best, DIRECT TV has ineffective and inefficient business practices - at worst, it perpetrates fraud against people who make the mistake of doing business with them.
NYGiants

join:2012-08-31
united state

Re: scared

directv has good service but abuses it with overcharging you, and scamming you, keep your comcast, etc.

MNComcastCus

@comcast.net
I was thinking about leaving Comcast because of the cost but after reading reviews I'm going to stay with them. They have great service and DTV has no customer service. I'd rather pay more than deal with a headache of calling them every month.

Thanks to all for your reviews.

Review by candysofia24

• Location: Seneca,Newton,MO
Good "the promotional promises they make"
Bad "the installation, the customer service"
Overall "i do not recommend there services to anyone!!"

I have had your service for 2weeks now & I want to let everyone know how
horrible your company is being run. From the poor installation to the
promotional promises u made that u refuse to honor. I have had to call on 4
different occasions regarding different issues with my service & have about
7 hours of my time wasted on the phone dealing with them just to get
transferred to a total of 9 people between all 4 calls. Your company can't
seem to patch me threw to anyone that knows what they are doing. Your
services are a sham & your ripping off hard working people. U should be
ashamed. I will make sure that I recommend to everyone I talk to not to use
your services!! I will send as many emails, Facebook posts, tweets, letters
& even publish articles in all the local papers in my area informing people
of how u treat your customers.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by liz1983 See Profile

• Location: Chantilly,Fairfax,VA
Good "I get nbc so I can watch Ellen!"
Bad "If I record Ellen I wont be able to watch it since DVR doesnt connect"
Overall "Dont sign up"

It all started in August! Hubby LOVES football, we were tired of crappy
verizon, so we make the leap and sign up with Directv! Installed without
programming remotes but thats ok. Day 2 of having service...no playlist on
other tv's??? We have 4 kids and like to record their shows for "tv time".
I call about the DVR...no fix. Now we see that the playlist will disappear
all together or if it is there it will be from last week (shows we've
already deleted will show up and new shows from that day are MIA?) I have
reset the box, had directv to my house MANY times and even had a case
manager (had a code 47 and 48..had these codes this morning!) STILL NO FIX

November when directv is tired of us calling, assign us a case
manager...who should not work in customer service..ever, told me "in 3
weeks OR SO our new SOFTWARE will fix ALL your problems, no you cannot get
out of your contract unless you pay $450" So, now its January:) December
4th my tv showed new software BUT I found out this morning that wasnt "THE"
software so my problems are still ongoing! So, NOW, JAnuary 8th I still
have directv and it still doesnt work BUT IM STILL PAYING BECASUE ITS NOT
THEIR FAULT ITS THE SOFTWARE!!!! Isnt that your fault? I feel like I should
get an hourly pay because Im always reseting, unhooking or speaking to
DIRECTV.

Tv is such a small thing in life and shouldnt be this difficult. I pay you
for a SERVICE, YOU PROVIDE ME THAT SERVICE..RIGHT? Not at directv...you pay
them and you kinda get service BUT they are working on it so as a paying
customer,I WAIT, wait until the engineers release "THE" software. Well Ive
been patient since AUGUST and IVE HAD IT.

The manager this morning tried to comfort me in telling me " THIS IS AN
ONGOING PROBLEM, YOU ARE NOT 1st PERSON I'VE TALKED TO TODAY WHO HAS THE
SAME ISSUE. Thats sad! It sure didnt make me feel better, it made me come
come online and WARN others. If you want to pay for a service and not
receive it...PICK DIRECTV...if you want a constant headache and always be
"on hold"...PICK DIRECTV If you dont want your kids watching that much
tv...PICK DIRECTV...If you like a big blue box informing you "your playlist
is disconnected" every 2 minutes...PICK DIRECTV

If you want to be in the boat of people with the "same" problem for 6
months with no fix in sight...PICK DIRECTV

The promise on their website is a script not a "promise". If that were true
I would be out the the contract, like requested, without paying you $450! I
feel you breeched the contract and have not fufilled your end...not even
close. But...the little people pay and the suits win! I cannot believe a
"new" customer has had such a horrrible experience with your company is on
the hook for the cancellation fee. Maybe you should pay me the fee and do
me a favor for once! I thought it was cheaper to keep an "old" customer
than to advertise for a "new" customer??? I hope if you have a similar
problem you TELL THE WORLD...warn people not to get involved until this
MAGIC SOFTWARE IS RELEASED! GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO ARE NEW IN MY SHOES, AND
TO THOSE WHO ARE "OLD" CUSTOMER WHO CANT GET OUT..

Comments:
johnlm

join:2013-04-08
Eldon, MO

Package deals and the referral bonus

DirecTV advertises all the time that they offer $10 off your bill if your refer someone else to join them. But, they also pair will all kinds of telecom companies to get customers to join. I referred my mother to DirecTV and since she needed to get a new phone company at her new place, we got her a bundle with Century Link and DirecTV. As we signed her up for the bundle, Century Link informed me that we would have to contact DirecTV to get the referral discount. I spent nearly 30 minutes on the phone with a lady in the Philippines who felt it more important to lecture me on the necessity for my mother to give my account number when she signed up, than to stop for a minute an listen to what I was trying to tell her. It was obvious she had her little flow chart in front of her and was totally unable to deviate from the page she was on. I finally got an answer to have my mother call this special number and have HER give them my account number to get the discount. My mother is 73 years old and, following several strokes, is easily confused and exhausted. There is no way she could handle this on her own. I called my sister, who lives across the street from her, and asked her to call, with my mother there, so she could take care of this. Now, my sister is a 55 year old lawyer who has worked in the office of a Federal Judge for over 30 years. She is a very capable woman. She called me back later that night saying she was giving up. She said she was transferred at least 10 times, and was finally told that, yes, we could do it, but that mom was already getting a $5.00 discount for signing up with a bundle, but that if we wanted the $10.00 off both of our bills (as the referral commercial states) we would have to cancel the original work order and create a new one. My mother was moving into her new place that weekend and the original work order was scheduled for two days before she was going to be in the house. If we canceled now, she wouldn't have tv for about a week. This was unacceptable.

DirecTV gets out of giving the referral bonus by giving you a runaround that no one could possibly stand, and then by making you (working people) change your schedule to accommodate their mismanaged processes. I can't wait for the day when there is true competition between television providers. The public is always taken advantage of because most places only have one cable company, or two lame satellite providers.