DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by karenarnold See Profile

• Location: Lewisville,Denton,TX
Mail,DNS,News:

They were extermely late. I had to keep calling them when they were not there at promised times. They did not want to give me advertised discounts and then overcharged me for first three months. When I disconnected my service after 6 months fee was $360.00 I set up payment arrangements and started meeting monthly payments after two months I started receiving calls from a collection agency. They had failed to tell me if not paid in full within two months this would happen. Collection agency is very rude and even though you are making payments to them as well they call every two days. If not paid within 1 month it will go against your credit.

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

I wouldn't pay them anything!

karenarnold, it's people like you that encourage them to try to get away with stuff like this! If they tried to overcharge me at the beginning I wouldn't pay they anymore until it was all straightened out. I certainly wouldn't pay them anything after it was cancelled!
join:2012-06-11

If they want to harass you then...

you need to harass them. Have a lawyer write a brief letter indicating that they have violated their terms and that you will see them in court. The best thing for you is that it is pretty clear that they were REFUSING to act in good faith when it came to the terms of your agreement. Also inform them that you will contacting the state attorney general, the BBB, and the local TV station about your situation. That needs to be sent Certified Return Receipt Requested to be opened only by the CEO of the company.

You will get a quick and satisfactory resolution for your trouble.
jli

join:2013-02-20
Pleasanton, CA

Price increase from DIRECTV

I noticed that on my March DIRECTV bill, there is a fee increase over the February bill with no service change. So I called just to find out the reason for the increase. I was told that DIRECTV had a review of their service and decided that in order to maintain the quality and the level of service, they need to adjust the Choice Xtra plan to Xtra plan with a fee increase. In addition to that, there is a $5.00 (22.5%) increase of Advance Receiver monthly rental fee. So, I asked them that if they were allowed to increase the price, would we, the customers, be able to terminate the contract prior to the two-year term? This is the 6th month using their service and I have already seen a 22.5% increase on the existing equipment alone, what change should I expect for the rest of the contract term. They told me that I could not terminate the plan before the two year term was up. If I do, I will be billed at a prorated service fee. So I asked to speak to the supervisor. He advised me that my basic service plan fee will not change for 12 mos, the price increase was caused by the $5 increase of Advance Receiver Rental fee ($25 now vs. $20 before). I argued that the receiver is hardware, sitting there in my house being depreciated at an accelerated pace day after day. How in the world can the 22.5% rental fee increase over 6 month period be justified? I encourage everyone to take a look at your new bill to see whether this price change has affected you. The important thing is not about $5 price difference, is about the contractual principles. The terms should be binding to both parties. Any price increase should be reasonable (new equipment or added service). I am surprised that no one has sued DIRECTV for such kind of business conduct.

Upset

@insightbb.com

Re: Price increase from DIRECTV

My bill goes up every single month. Usually around $7/month. The first year, it stayed the same every month, and the second year, my bill has doubled and has new stuff on it I did not add. Also, they told me that because I got a new box when I moved (which when I asked the people at set-up they said no) they automatically added another year to my contract. I specifically asked them at set-up and they said no. Now, no matter how many supervisors I speak to, its the same: too bad. They said when you change anything you automatically have another year added. Even if I want to lower my plan since its astronomical now. I thought Insight was bad...
boss

join:2013-04-07
for the record the price increase took affect on EVERYONE that has an advanced reciever, it is also in the directv contract that it is subject to change as far as price goes. it is binding on both sides. you are more than capable to read the contract before signing up and and know what youre getting into before hand

hola

@bellsouth.net
direct tv is horrible!!! they steal your money! don't even think in signing a contract with them. Literally they will steal your money

• Location: Suwanee,Gwinnett,GA
Good "Initial connection was ok"
Bad "Direct TV will quietly bill your credit card after you disconnect"
Overall "I would NEVER do business with this company. They are thieves."
Mail,DNS,News:

Beware Direct TV, they will attempt to quietly bill your credit card while NOT providing service after you cancel. I have caught them three times doing this and they have issued credits the first two times. Now on the third time they are refusing to do so. If they insist on billing I plan to report them to the police. It is no different than breaking into your home and stealing. They have not sent the return address for the return of the box after repeated requests. When I called American Express to make sure they can not bill, the person there said she had experienced the same thing! They are modern day thieves. Be careful if you decide to do business with them.

(review was emailed from domain ymail.com)

Comments:
dplantz

join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA

did you cancel before your 2 year term was up?

Directv charges a prorated amount per month to cancel before your two year contract is over its currently 20 per month. Did you cancel before 24 months? Not return equipment. They are not thieves, just wanting the contracted termination fee just like a cellphone company would charge for terminating a 2 year contract early. I love my Directv service and to not know that you are in a contract is not a reason to call them thieves.
join:2012-06-11

Typical fraudulent practices at DirecTV.

I also had problems with DirecTV.

I fulfilled my obligations with my 2 year contract to the T. I called to cancel. They connected me to retentions and I had to deal with the most obnoxious threatening idiot I have ever experienced at ANY company in all my years of dealing with customer service.

READ MY REVIEW !

I agree DirecTV are scam artists and fraudsters.

Review by fractal67

• Location: Winchester,Clark,KY
Good "incompetent"
Bad "fraudulent?"
Overall "More than one way to overcharge"

When I cancelled my Direct TV account last November, they overcharged my
credit card by $549. When I challenged this charge with the credit card
company, Direct TV did not respond to the card company's inquiries so they
reversed the charges. In addition, DirectTV alleges that they mailed me a
refund check for $549. I have not received this check. During a
conversation on January 23, I told a company representative that I had not
received the check and suggested that they stop payment on it and reconcile
my account because the amount of this check is the only amount that I owe
them. They refused claiming that the best that they could do is reissue
the check in 60 days if the check remains uncashed, but in the meantime I
still need to reimburse them for this check that they supposedly sent me.
Today (2/2) a representative told me that the check has been cashed and
that I need to pay the bill. They are researching the check and I can call
back in 10 days about this check. In the meantime I am supposed to pay
them money that I do not owe them.

Annette McGrew

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Jay FR Va

@embarqhsd.net

Direct TV, straw that broke the camel's back.

I finally had enough and kicked Direct TV to the curb after my system quit working again for the third time in the past 5 years. I've been using them since the 90's, and over the years I've watched the programming get worse, and the pricing increase. Their current offers are cheaper than what they are willing to give to their "loyal customers" unless you threaten them with cancellation. After being a loyal customer for 10+ years, I shouldn't have to threaten them, to get them to repair the system again.

My system went out a few days ago. I contacted DTV last night, and asked if they would repair the system once again? Answer was no, unless I paid them $50 or agreed to a monthly service agreement on top of the $128 I already give them a month. I said OK, I really don't want a service call, nor a protection plan. I am thinking about upgrading to HD anyway, can you upgrade my package (going to hd requires a new install anyway). Reply, no dice, we don't have any offers for you.

So today I call them back to cancel my account, but wait, now they want to bend over backwards and kiss my a**. They want to repair the system for free and give me a new package. But you know what, to hell with them, I should not have to threaten these bozos just to get them to fix their crappy equipment or offer an upgrade to me that they are offering to their new customers. These people are just as bad as some used car salespeople.

I'm done with DTV, I've ordered Dish instead, maybe they will do better, maybe not. I guess there always is cable

Review by GINA MM See Profile

• Location: Granby,Hampshire,MA
Bad "all they tell you are lies and its a scam"
Overall "the people you talk to over the phone are so clueless! and make up crap"
Mail,DNS,News:

1st Id like to start off by saying iv had to call direct tv 4 times in two days. I began by calling to sign up for direct tv. I spoke with a man who told me that I could get 150 channels and internet for $59.99 a month, with the free movies channels ( HBO, SHOWTIME, ect) for 3 montha. I thought that was a great deal. and plus I had a refer a friend and get 10 bucks off plus another 10 bucks off with my AAA membership. the man told me that id have to call a different number for the AAA discount cuz he was unable to do it. ok fine, not a big deal. I call the number, a woman answered and said she was unable to process it cuz she was the wrong department and mentioned that i could only use one discount at a time. so I called back the main number to talk to someone about it. she said she was able to give me both disounts. I thought great! that was easy to deal with. then she tells me i have to be charged $21.23 in order to use my AAA for the shipping, handling and processing. which is crap since they advertise everywhere that you dont have to pay for ANY of this. so whatever i agreed... the stupid lady charged me twice! so i had to call back and have them credit my account.

ok so now I call the number the 1st man I spoke with to have someone hook up my internet which is verizon, comes to find out that price he gave me DID NOT include the internet! it was another $30.00! plus tax and i also had to pay $44.00 for the modem and installation! AND i had to pay extra for a phone that i didnt want in the 1st place since i have a cell phone. I told the woman the issues iv had that day with direct tv. so she told me she would wave the $44.00 and she would put that in the comfirmation letter, so in the end of our coversation I mentioned about her putting it in the comfirmation letter and she said that the FEES were waved for that day so i didnt have to pay it that day but id get the bill in the mail! now correct me if im wrong but waiving a fee means i dont get charged! not delay the charge to a later date. need less to say with all this B.S I didnt go through with it. I went with charter instead where i dont need a phone.

The next day i called them back to ask them something about the mvoie package deals they advertised online, they told me the price, i mentioned id have 20 bucks off a month with my discounts. well now they are saying that i CANT have both!!!!!! after everything I went through with this company and the bad expeirence im cancling my cable as well!!!!!! I cant believe this place and how these employees all say something different and when I ask to speak with a supervisor or manager they wouldnt let me! she talked to them but had me on mute so i have no idea if she was even telling her boss my correct infomation. I am done with this company and i will NEVER reccomend them to anyone! On the AAA websiter its says you can use both discounts and dirct tv told me I could then I couldnt. they all have differnt stories and this is the worst company ever! I wish I read the reviwews before signing up. However atlease im not stuck in a contract! thats the only good thing coming out of my experience. VERY POOR customer service!

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Should have done some research first...

Apparently everyone but you knows that DirectTV is just TV and doesn't include internet.
join:2012-06-11

DirecTV uses Deceptive practices dealing with customers~!

Re: Should have done some research first...

The real issue here is that DirecTV "customer NO service" must be the worst customer NO service in ANY consumer business period.

I was a good customer, paid with autopay, and fulfilled my two year contract to the T. When I called to cancel it was an absolute nightmare, and was THE WORST customer NO service I have EVER dealt with in ANY business in my entire 30 years of dealing with customer service reps

Re: DirecTV uses Deceptive practices dealing with customers~!

Direct TV expects me to pay for a refund check that I never received. When I cancelled my service, Direct TV overbilled me by more than $500. I thought my credit card protected me by reversing the charge. When they did that, Direct TV claims to have issued a check for the overcharge. Now, I am supposed to repay them for this "error" even though I have never received this check. On Jan. 23, this check had not been cashed and I suggested that they stop payment. They claimed that they could not do that. The best they could do is reissue the check in 60 days, but in the meantime I should pay the amount that I "owe" them. Now, the check has supposedly been cashed and I can call in 10 days to find out the results of their research, but in the meantime, I should pay the bill they invented.

Review by NYGiants See Profile

• Location: Bowling Green,Caroline,VA
Good "Service, reliablity, quality, better channel selection than dish"
Bad "Price of service"
Overall "Fraud, Fraud, Fraud (changes package without warning)"

·Verizon Broadban..
We have had direcTV for over 10 years and the signal is 100 percent all the time execpt for tornado warnings. They have the most channels(at times) but the highest price and they scammed us by raising our packages without consent. Also local channels go out when national channels are on! The installation was below average. Programming (SD) costs almost 120 bucks a month! The only channels we watch are.

- Animal Planet
- ESPN and NFL network
- TV Land
- Nick
- BET, Centric, and MTV
-BUT HAVE TO PAY 120 BUCKS!

*Highest package (automatically switched from basic to highest = WTF!

November 20th update

-Local TV outages are due to ceiling fan is on same circuit as boxes.
- Kept TV on and when light is on the box gets no signal, I then cut off the light and my channel shows up.

Comments:

Rados

Waste of time

I have been a loyal DTV customer for over 15 yrs. NO MORE!!! We are moving into a new place and the joker fielding the call for DTV was a real idiot. He kept telling me of all the FREE stuff he was throwing in and it took over 20 minutes to even get a price out of him. The specials they advertise on line didn't pertain to me and when I asked him why he had no answer. Its like he was reading from a script and didn't really know anything at all. I'M OUT!!! Can't stand dealing with this company...Look at other options first--You will be glad you did.....

angie

@frontiernet.net

Re: Waste of time

direct tv likes to harass pple even tho they make a payment plan but they still call everyday.... not good dish is better.

sucks

@fabenobgyn.com
I HAVE BEEN A COSTUMER SINCE 2004, THE PROMISSED MOVIE PACKAGE NFL SEASON TICKET WITH MOVE. I HAVE NOT SEEN NOTHING YET. 2ND ROOM TV HAS NOT WORKED SINCE 11TH AND TODAY IS 18, THERE COSTUMER SERVICE SUCKS.THEY PROMISE THEY WILL CALL WITHIN 24 HRS TO SET UP APPOINTMENT AND THEY NEVER DO. SO TODAY WHEN I GET HOME THEY WILL FIND ALL THERE EQUIPMENT BY THE ROAD. THEY HAVE HAD GOOD SERVICE I DNT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED? THEY SUCK NOW.

UnhappyCust1

LIES

When I first enrolled in DirecTV I was quoted $29.99 a month for a year. I was excited! Then after the first month, the bill I recieved was $35.00. Not what I was promised, but still, not too bad. The next few months it seemed to increase 10, 15 dollars everytime. I am positive they nickel and dime you and all the while, we are clueless because they convince you to sign up for their auto draft system for $10 off per month, yet another lie. And don't get me started on the "Free HD for Life" what a crock. It dissappears and can never be reinstated if you downgrade a tier. I dropped ONE tier and *poof* it was gone. So much for free for life. I have been on the phone with them at least once per month since I became a customer, and cannot wait until my contract runs out. The customer service reps can put any discounts they want on it, it just depends on their mood when they answer your phone call. This month, my bill is $96.58. Just for tv, not internet, no DVR. Just Choice package and HD. Don't buy into their lies, it'll break the bank.

Re: LIES

I was with DirecTV for a couple of years, their customer service is
almost nonexistent.

SD picture quality is HORRIBLE looks like you are watching a YouTube video in lowest res with lots of digital blocks...the worst, DISH has the best SD picture quality, followed by most cable outlets.

CSRs are most rude the retention ass I spoke to was absolutely the worst CSR I have EVER spoken to in my 30 years of dealing with customer service reps. The guy was yelling at me and threatening as well kept me on the phone after I had requested to cancel at least TEN times.

It was so bad I wrote a snail mail return receipt requested to the former CEO of DirecTV, someone at the executive offices signed for the letter, but I never heard ONE PEEP from anyone at the executive offices!!!!!!!

Cancelled.

I hope this scam company goes out of business.

directv lies

@mpowercom.net

direct tv lies

when i first signed up they told me that if i moved all i would have to do is bring my box and just plug it in and it would work. i moved into a house that already had a direct tv satellite on it that they actually verified that it worked and they still charged me $200 to "activate it" which meant that a guy came and pressed a button and in 2 seconds it was magically on. later on we ended up moving to an apartment complex where i could not recieve satellite because of the apartment complex and they said they would have to charge me an "early termination fee" my ass. i told them i'm just not going to pay anything at all anymore and forget about them. screw direct tv they just take you for as much money as they can get away with!

toxfinity

@clearwire-wmx.net

searching for satellite signal

For the last past month I come home from work, pick up the remote control and all I get is...you guessed it! "searching for satellite signal. I'm home this week becomes I'm not feeling well. I have on the tv but guess what I'm watching...you guessed it! "searching for satellite signal". Called customer service to no avail! I have to pay them to be my own service technician to there faulty equipment! I am done....going back to my beloved Comcast...To Xfinity And Beyond!!!!!!!!
bull16

join:2013-01-22
Roy, UT

Re: searching for satellite signal

To get free service calls you need the protection plan. if you would of had that it would cover your equiptment and you wouldnt of had to pay a fee. simple as that

gnubee

Re: searching for satellite signal

Think about how you stated that. It would have covered your equipment. It wasn't his equipment. He is being charged to rent this equipment and use it. So if you ask me this company should make sure their equipment is working properly without extra cost!!

Wiccawoman

@cvgs.net

Re: searching for satellite signal

First off, Directv does not charge a lease fee. There is a $6 mirroring fee that is applied for every additional receiver but no monthly lease fee. When you first start service you get this equipment free it is leased yes but there are no lease fees. If you want to upgrade there may be a ONE time lease fee but not a recurring lease fee. And the protection plan covers your sattelite dish even though once it is installed it is YOUR property. And to be perfectly honest if there is something wrong with your equipment along the road then it is not Directv's fault. When they sent it to you it was working fine. It's not their fault if it develops a problem down the road. Please learn your facts.

unhappy new

@spcsdns.net

sham

I have had your service for 2weeks now & I want to let everyone know how horrible your company is being run. From the poor installation to the promotional promises u made that u refuse to honor. I have had to call on 4 different occasions regarding different issues with my service & have about 7 hours of my time wasted on the phone dealing with them just to get transferred to a total of 9 people between all 4 calls. Your company can't seem to patch me threw to anyone that knows what they are doing. Your services are a sham & your ripping off hard working people. U should be ashamed. I will make sure that I recommend to everyone I talk to not to use your services!! I will send as many emails, Facebook posts, tweets, letters & even publish articles in all the local papers in my area informing people of how u treat your customers. DO NOT SIGNUP FOR DIRECTV. THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF!!!

They picked the WRONG customer to screw with! LOL

See my post above.

When I sent their CEO a certified mail return receipt requested letter I expect as a paying customer that someone will look into the matter and at least send an brief summary of their findings....I felt my account security and private information was in jeopardy with that ass clown that was handing the cancellation of my account that day. The CSR was obnoxious, threatening, possibly off shore, and sure enough my personal info was all there in front of him on the computer screen...That is why although I was being abused and blustered at by this monkey I kept my composure and level head and proceeded to not let his outrageous behavior to get the best of me even though I was the customer.

You clowns at DirecTV goofed when you dropped the ball because I at EVERY possible opportunity post my horrific experience.

Whether it is on line, in person, or on the phone, I tell EVERYONE I speak to...... NEVER to subscribe to DirecTV.

thinking

@comcast.net

scared

I am thinking of becoming a new customer after reading all these reviews I am afraid... IF I SIGN UP i want what is going to be promised to me and I dont need or ask for a lot... What can you do to make sure I get what I want or need ? And I want something in writing that if not happy or do not get what I am told I can cancel without penalty...

Re: scared - you should be

Based on my experiences, I STRONGLY advise against doing business with Direct TV. I thought my credit card would protect me from an outrageous overcharge, but they found a way around that protection. They claim that they have issued a check for the overcharge and that my card company should not have reversed the overcharge. Now, I am supposed to reimburse them for a check that I have not received - and they can't produce a copy of it. I can't prove it, but this seems like fraud and harassment to me. At best, DIRECT TV has ineffective and inefficient business practices - at worst, it perpetrates fraud against people who make the mistake of doing business with them.
NYGiants

join:2012-08-31
united state

Re: scared

directv has good service but abuses it with overcharging you, and scamming you, keep your comcast, etc.

MNComcastCus

@comcast.net
I was thinking about leaving Comcast because of the cost but after reading reviews I'm going to stay with them. They have great service and DTV has no customer service. I'd rather pay more than deal with a headache of calling them every month.

Thanks to all for your reviews.

Review by candysofia24

• Location: Seneca,Newton,MO
Good "the promotional promises they make"
Bad "the installation, the customer service"
Overall "i do not recommend there services to anyone!!"

I have had your service for 2weeks now & I want to let everyone know how
horrible your company is being run. From the poor installation to the
promotional promises u made that u refuse to honor. I have had to call on 4
different occasions regarding different issues with my service & have about
7 hours of my time wasted on the phone dealing with them just to get
transferred to a total of 9 people between all 4 calls. Your company can't
seem to patch me threw to anyone that knows what they are doing. Your
services are a sham & your ripping off hard working people. U should be
ashamed. I will make sure that I recommend to everyone I talk to not to use
your services!! I will send as many emails, Facebook posts, tweets, letters
& even publish articles in all the local papers in my area informing people
of how u treat your customers.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by liz1983 See Profile

• Location: Chantilly,Fairfax,VA
Good "I get nbc so I can watch Ellen!"
Bad "If I record Ellen I wont be able to watch it since DVR doesnt connect"
Overall "Dont sign up"

·DIRECTV

It all started in August! Hubby LOVES football, we were tired of crappy
verizon, so we make the leap and sign up with Directv! Installed without
programming remotes but thats ok. Day 2 of having service...no playlist on
other tv's??? We have 4 kids and like to record their shows for "tv time".
I call about the DVR...no fix. Now we see that the playlist will disappear
all together or if it is there it will be from last week (shows we've
already deleted will show up and new shows from that day are MIA?) I have
reset the box, had directv to my house MANY times and even had a case
manager (had a code 47 and 48..had these codes this morning!) STILL NO FIX

November when directv is tired of us calling, assign us a case
manager...who should not work in customer service..ever, told me "in 3
weeks OR SO our new SOFTWARE will fix ALL your problems, no you cannot get
out of your contract unless you pay $450" So, now its January:) December
4th my tv showed new software BUT I found out this morning that wasnt "THE"
software so my problems are still ongoing! So, NOW, JAnuary 8th I still
have directv and it still doesnt work BUT IM STILL PAYING BECASUE ITS NOT
THEIR FAULT ITS THE SOFTWARE!!!! Isnt that your fault? I feel like I should
get an hourly pay because Im always reseting, unhooking or speaking to
DIRECTV.

Tv is such a small thing in life and shouldnt be this difficult. I pay you
for a SERVICE, YOU PROVIDE ME THAT SERVICE..RIGHT? Not at directv...you pay
them and you kinda get service BUT they are working on it so as a paying
customer,I WAIT, wait until the engineers release "THE" software. Well Ive
been patient since AUGUST and IVE HAD IT.

The manager this morning tried to comfort me in telling me " THIS IS AN
ONGOING PROBLEM, YOU ARE NOT 1st PERSON I'VE TALKED TO TODAY WHO HAS THE
SAME ISSUE. Thats sad! It sure didnt make me feel better, it made me come
come online and WARN others. If you want to pay for a service and not
receive it...PICK DIRECTV...if you want a constant headache and always be
"on hold"...PICK DIRECTV If you dont want your kids watching that much
tv...PICK DIRECTV...If you like a big blue box informing you "your playlist
is disconnected" every 2 minutes...PICK DIRECTV

If you want to be in the boat of people with the "same" problem for 6
months with no fix in sight...PICK DIRECTV

The promise on their website is a script not a "promise". If that were true
I would be out the the contract, like requested, without paying you $450! I
feel you breeched the contract and have not fufilled your end...not even
close. But...the little people pay and the suits win! I cannot believe a
"new" customer has had such a horrrible experience with your company is on
the hook for the cancellation fee. Maybe you should pay me the fee and do
me a favor for once! I thought it was cheaper to keep an "old" customer
than to advertise for a "new" customer??? I hope if you have a similar
problem you TELL THE WORLD...warn people not to get involved until this
MAGIC SOFTWARE IS RELEASED! GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO ARE NEW IN MY SHOES, AND
TO THOSE WHO ARE "OLD" CUSTOMER WHO CANT GET OUT..

Comments:
johnlm

join:2013-04-08
Eldon, MO

Package deals and the referral bonus

DirecTV advertises all the time that they offer $10 off your bill if your refer someone else to join them. But, they also pair will all kinds of telecom companies to get customers to join. I referred my mother to DirecTV and since she needed to get a new phone company at her new place, we got her a bundle with Century Link and DirecTV. As we signed her up for the bundle, Century Link informed me that we would have to contact DirecTV to get the referral discount. I spent nearly 30 minutes on the phone with a lady in the Philippines who felt it more important to lecture me on the necessity for my mother to give my account number when she signed up, than to stop for a minute an listen to what I was trying to tell her. It was obvious she had her little flow chart in front of her and was totally unable to deviate from the page she was on. I finally got an answer to have my mother call this special number and have HER give them my account number to get the discount. My mother is 73 years old and, following several strokes, is easily confused and exhausted. There is no way she could handle this on her own. I called my sister, who lives across the street from her, and asked her to call, with my mother there, so she could take care of this. Now, my sister is a 55 year old lawyer who has worked in the office of a Federal Judge for over 30 years. She is a very capable woman. She called me back later that night saying she was giving up. She said she was transferred at least 10 times, and was finally told that, yes, we could do it, but that mom was already getting a $5.00 discount for signing up with a bundle, but that if we wanted the $10.00 off both of our bills (as the referral commercial states) we would have to cancel the original work order and create a new one. My mother was moving into her new place that weekend and the original work order was scheduled for two days before she was going to be in the house. If we canceled now, she wouldn't have tv for about a week. This was unacceptable.

DirecTV gets out of giving the referral bonus by giving you a runaround that no one could possibly stand, and then by making you (working people) change your schedule to accommodate their mismanaged processes. I can't wait for the day when there is true competition between television providers. The public is always taken advantage of because most places only have one cable company, or two lame satellite providers.

Review by mospat See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
Good "Great Video Quality, Great Variety of Channels"
Bad "Their phone support is almost useless"
Overall "Better than traditional cable TV"

·Knology
I have been a customer of Directv for 10+ years now and I have very little bad that I can say about their services.

The only issue I ever have with the reception is during heavy rains but only very heavy rain. All other times the quality is perfect!

I installed everything myself so I don't know anything about their installation services.. I have had to deal with their phone support a couple of times over the past few years and most times it is beyond useless if powering the receiver off doesn't fix the issue now.

I have two receivers, one with DVR and one standard bot have been reliable.

As with most services of this type I believe they overcharge and are overly restrictive but maybe the proliferation of online video services will help bring some competition?

I would recommend them!

Comments:

Review by liz1983 See Profile

• Location: Chantilly,Fairfax,VA
Bad "The multiroom DVR is REALLY not an option until new software is installed!"
Overall "I feel ripped off and stuck in a contract with a company who doesnt hold up their end!"

·DIRECTV
It all started in August! Hubby LOVES football, we were tired of crappy verizon, so we made the leap and signed up with Directv! Installed without programming remotes but thats ok. Day 2 of having service...no playlist on other tv's??? We have 4 kids and like to record their shows for "tv time". I call about the DVR...no fix. Now we see that the playlist will disappear all together or if it is there it will be from last week (shows we've already deleted will show up and new shows from that day are MIA?) I have reset the box, had directv to my house MANY times and even had a case manager (had a code 47 and 48..had these codes this morning!) STILL NO FIX

November when directv is tired of us calling, assign us a case manager...who should not work in customer service..ever, told me "in 3 weeks OR SO our new SOFTWARE will fix ALL your problems, no you cannot get out of your contract unless you pay $450" So, now its January:) December 4th my tv showed new software BUT I found out this morning that wasnt "THE" software so my problems are still ongoing! So, NOW, JAnuary 8th I still have directv and it still doesnt work BUT IM STILL PAYING BECASUE ITS NOT THEIR FAULT ITS THE SOFTWARE!!!! Isnt that your fault? I feel like I should get an hourly pay because Im always reseting, unhooking or speaking to DIRECTV.

Tv is such a small thing in life and shouldnt be this difficult. I pay you for a SERVICE, YOU PROVIDE ME THAT SERVICE..RIGHT? Not at directv...you pay them and you kinda get service BUT they are working on it so as a paying customer,I WAIT, wait until the engineers release "THE" software. Well Ive been patient since AUGUST and IVE HAD IT.

The manager this morning tried to comfort me in telling me " THIS IS AN ONGOING PROBLEM, YOU ARE NOT 1st PERSON I'VE TALKED TO TODAY WHO HAS THE SAME ISSUE. Thats sad! It sure didnt make me feel better, it made me come online and WARN others. If you want to pay for a service and not receive it...PICK DIRECTV...if you want a constant headache and always be "on hold"...PICK DIRECTV If you dont want your kids watching that much tv...PICK DIRECTV...If you like a big blue box informing you "your playlist is disconnected" every 2 minutes...PICK DIRECTV

If you want to be in the boat of people with the "same" problem for 6 months with no fix in sight...PICK DIRECTV

The promise on their website is a script not a "promise". If that were true I would be out the the contract, like requested, without paying you $450! I feel you breeched the contract and have not fufilled your end...not even close. But...the little people pay and the suits win! I cannot believe a "new" customer has had such a horrrible experience with your company is on the hook for the cancellation fee. Directv should pay me the fee and do me a favor for once! I thought it was cheaper to keep an "old" customer than to advertise for a "new" customer??? I hope if you have a similar problem you TELL THE WORLD...warn people not to get involved until this MAGIC SOFTWARE IS RELEASED! GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO ARE NEW IN MY SHOES, AND TO THOSE WHO ARE "OLD" CUSTOMER WHO CANT GET OUT..

Comments:

capt jack

@verizon.net

Direct TV

Sounds so much better than crappy Verizon!
join:2012-06-11

You CAN get out of the contract!

If they are NOT delivering what they promised you, they are in breach of contract, and as such you have a legal right to end that contract WITHOUT any penalties or fees as a result. You have given them MORE THAN ADEQUATE TIME TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM YOU ARE EXPERIENCING!

Call them back and politely tell them that you wish to cancel because they are in breach of their part of the contact. Also send a snail mail return receipt requested to the executive offices briefly stating what you have communicated here.

batman69

@cvgs.net

Re: You CAN get out of the contract!

Ok for one, the directv promise is that we provide tv programing that is their agreement to all of there customers. If the equipment is faulty yet its a know issue and it be worked on then they do not let you out of the agreement, you agreed to get T.V SERVICES which means u can watch live t.v then they have every right to charge a early cancel fee cause your tv is working and you are getting programing

Review by lawson4212 See Profile

• Location: Madison,Dane,WI
Good "Great product, only lose service in terrible weather, great HD"
Bad "Offer promotions but don't follow through, plead ignorance later"
Overall "If they were honest about promotions and charges, this would be great"
Mail,DNS,News:

I signed up for DirecTV at a Best Buy in the summer of 2010 because there was a promotion when I bought my TV. I was supposed to get $300 in Best Buy money from DirecTV, as well as $20/month off my bill for my 1 year contract. I never received any of this. DirecTV claimed me living in an apartment (already wired for DirecTV) is why I didn't qualify for the $20 off. They also claimed I didn't sign up for their services at Best Buy-why I didn't get the $300. They knew my address before I signed the papers and I definitely purchased it at Best Buy. I love their product they put out. It has terrific channel selection and HD quality. I'm still bitter about losing out on $500+ in promotions from the first year, as well as the local internet company that goes with the service is complete garbage. I'm considering a switch to Charter for better internet and comparable TV that works in storms.