DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by fractal67

• Location: Winchester,Clark,KY
Good "incompetent"
Bad "fraudulent?"
Overall "More than one way to overcharge"

When I cancelled my Direct TV account last November, they overcharged my
credit card by $549. When I challenged this charge with the credit card
company, Direct TV did not respond to the card company's inquiries so they
reversed the charges. In addition, DirectTV alleges that they mailed me a
refund check for $549. I have not received this check. During a
conversation on January 23, I told a company representative that I had not
received the check and suggested that they stop payment on it and reconcile
my account because the amount of this check is the only amount that I owe
them. They refused claiming that the best that they could do is reissue
the check in 60 days if the check remains uncashed, but in the meantime I
still need to reimburse them for this check that they supposedly sent me.
Today (2/2) a representative told me that the check has been cashed and
that I need to pay the bill. They are researching the check and I can call
back in 10 days about this check. In the meantime I am supposed to pay
them money that I do not owe them.

Annette McGrew

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Jay FR Va

@embarqhsd.net

Direct TV, straw that broke the camel's back.

I finally had enough and kicked Direct TV to the curb after my system quit working again for the third time in the past 5 years. I've been using them since the 90's, and over the years I've watched the programming get worse, and the pricing increase. Their current offers are cheaper than what they are willing to give to their "loyal customers" unless you threaten them with cancellation. After being a loyal customer for 10+ years, I shouldn't have to threaten them, to get them to repair the system again.

My system went out a few days ago. I contacted DTV last night, and asked if they would repair the system once again? Answer was no, unless I paid them $50 or agreed to a monthly service agreement on top of the $128 I already give them a month. I said OK, I really don't want a service call, nor a protection plan. I am thinking about upgrading to HD anyway, can you upgrade my package (going to hd requires a new install anyway). Reply, no dice, we don't have any offers for you.

So today I call them back to cancel my account, but wait, now they want to bend over backwards and kiss my a**. They want to repair the system for free and give me a new package. But you know what, to hell with them, I should not have to threaten these bozos just to get them to fix their crappy equipment or offer an upgrade to me that they are offering to their new customers. These people are just as bad as some used car salespeople.

I'm done with DTV, I've ordered Dish instead, maybe they will do better, maybe not. I guess there always is cable

Review by GINA MM See Profile

• Location: Granby,Hampshire,MA
Bad "all they tell you are lies and its a scam"
Overall "the people you talk to over the phone are so clueless! and make up crap"
Mail,DNS,News:

1st Id like to start off by saying iv had to call direct tv 4 times in two days. I began by calling to sign up for direct tv. I spoke with a man who told me that I could get 150 channels and internet for $59.99 a month, with the free movies channels ( HBO, SHOWTIME, ect) for 3 montha. I thought that was a great deal. and plus I had a refer a friend and get 10 bucks off plus another 10 bucks off with my AAA membership. the man told me that id have to call a different number for the AAA discount cuz he was unable to do it. ok fine, not a big deal. I call the number, a woman answered and said she was unable to process it cuz she was the wrong department and mentioned that i could only use one discount at a time. so I called back the main number to talk to someone about it. she said she was able to give me both disounts. I thought great! that was easy to deal with. then she tells me i have to be charged $21.23 in order to use my AAA for the shipping, handling and processing. which is crap since they advertise everywhere that you dont have to pay for ANY of this. so whatever i agreed... the stupid lady charged me twice! so i had to call back and have them credit my account.

ok so now I call the number the 1st man I spoke with to have someone hook up my internet which is verizon, comes to find out that price he gave me DID NOT include the internet! it was another $30.00! plus tax and i also had to pay $44.00 for the modem and installation! AND i had to pay extra for a phone that i didnt want in the 1st place since i have a cell phone. I told the woman the issues iv had that day with direct tv. so she told me she would wave the $44.00 and she would put that in the comfirmation letter, so in the end of our coversation I mentioned about her putting it in the comfirmation letter and she said that the FEES were waved for that day so i didnt have to pay it that day but id get the bill in the mail! now correct me if im wrong but waiving a fee means i dont get charged! not delay the charge to a later date. need less to say with all this B.S I didnt go through with it. I went with charter instead where i dont need a phone.

The next day i called them back to ask them something about the mvoie package deals they advertised online, they told me the price, i mentioned id have 20 bucks off a month with my discounts. well now they are saying that i CANT have both!!!!!! after everything I went through with this company and the bad expeirence im cancling my cable as well!!!!!! I cant believe this place and how these employees all say something different and when I ask to speak with a supervisor or manager they wouldnt let me! she talked to them but had me on mute so i have no idea if she was even telling her boss my correct infomation. I am done with this company and i will NEVER reccomend them to anyone! On the AAA websiter its says you can use both discounts and dirct tv told me I could then I couldnt. they all have differnt stories and this is the worst company ever! I wish I read the reviwews before signing up. However atlease im not stuck in a contract! thats the only good thing coming out of my experience. VERY POOR customer service!

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Should have done some research first...

Apparently everyone but you knows that DirectTV is just TV and doesn't include internet.
join:2012-06-11

DirecTV uses Deceptive practices dealing with customers~!

Re: Should have done some research first...

The real issue here is that DirecTV "customer NO service" must be the worst customer NO service in ANY consumer business period.

I was a good customer, paid with autopay, and fulfilled my two year contract to the T. When I called to cancel it was an absolute nightmare, and was THE WORST customer NO service I have EVER dealt with in ANY business in my entire 30 years of dealing with customer service reps

Re: DirecTV uses Deceptive practices dealing with customers~!

Direct TV expects me to pay for a refund check that I never received. When I cancelled my service, Direct TV overbilled me by more than $500. I thought my credit card protected me by reversing the charge. When they did that, Direct TV claims to have issued a check for the overcharge. Now, I am supposed to repay them for this "error" even though I have never received this check. On Jan. 23, this check had not been cashed and I suggested that they stop payment. They claimed that they could not do that. The best they could do is reissue the check in 60 days, but in the meantime I should pay the amount that I "owe" them. Now, the check has supposedly been cashed and I can call in 10 days to find out the results of their research, but in the meantime, I should pay the bill they invented.

Review by NYGiants See Profile

• Location: Bowling Green,Caroline,VA
Good "Service, reliablity, quality, better channel selection than dish"
Bad "Price of service"
Overall "Fraud, Fraud, Fraud (changes package without warning)"

We have had direcTV for over 10 years and the signal is 100 percent all the time execpt for tornado warnings. They have the most channels(at times) but the highest price and they scammed us by raising our packages without consent. Also local channels go out when national channels are on! The installation was below average. Programming (SD) costs almost 120 bucks a month! The only channels we watch are.

- Animal Planet
- ESPN and NFL network
- TV Land
- Nick
- BET, Centric, and MTV
-BUT HAVE TO PAY 120 BUCKS!

*Highest package (automatically switched from basic to highest = WTF!

November 20th update

-Local TV outages are due to ceiling fan is on same circuit as boxes.
- Kept TV on and when light is on the box gets no signal, I then cut off the light and my channel shows up.

Comments:

Rados

Waste of time

I have been a loyal DTV customer for over 15 yrs. NO MORE!!! We are moving into a new place and the joker fielding the call for DTV was a real idiot. He kept telling me of all the FREE stuff he was throwing in and it took over 20 minutes to even get a price out of him. The specials they advertise on line didn't pertain to me and when I asked him why he had no answer. Its like he was reading from a script and didn't really know anything at all. I'M OUT!!! Can't stand dealing with this company...Look at other options first--You will be glad you did.....

angie

@frontiernet.net

Re: Waste of time

direct tv likes to harass pple even tho they make a payment plan but they still call everyday.... not good dish is better.

sucks

@fabenobgyn.com
I HAVE BEEN A COSTUMER SINCE 2004, THE PROMISSED MOVIE PACKAGE NFL SEASON TICKET WITH MOVE. I HAVE NOT SEEN NOTHING YET. 2ND ROOM TV HAS NOT WORKED SINCE 11TH AND TODAY IS 18, THERE COSTUMER SERVICE SUCKS.THEY PROMISE THEY WILL CALL WITHIN 24 HRS TO SET UP APPOINTMENT AND THEY NEVER DO. SO TODAY WHEN I GET HOME THEY WILL FIND ALL THERE EQUIPMENT BY THE ROAD. THEY HAVE HAD GOOD SERVICE I DNT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED? THEY SUCK NOW.

UnhappyCust1

LIES

When I first enrolled in DirecTV I was quoted $29.99 a month for a year. I was excited! Then after the first month, the bill I recieved was $35.00. Not what I was promised, but still, not too bad. The next few months it seemed to increase 10, 15 dollars everytime. I am positive they nickel and dime you and all the while, we are clueless because they convince you to sign up for their auto draft system for $10 off per month, yet another lie. And don't get me started on the "Free HD for Life" what a crock. It dissappears and can never be reinstated if you downgrade a tier. I dropped ONE tier and *poof* it was gone. So much for free for life. I have been on the phone with them at least once per month since I became a customer, and cannot wait until my contract runs out. The customer service reps can put any discounts they want on it, it just depends on their mood when they answer your phone call. This month, my bill is $96.58. Just for tv, not internet, no DVR. Just Choice package and HD. Don't buy into their lies, it'll break the bank.

Re: LIES

I was with DirecTV for a couple of years, their customer service is
almost nonexistent.

SD picture quality is HORRIBLE looks like you are watching a YouTube video in lowest res with lots of digital blocks...the worst, DISH has the best SD picture quality, followed by most cable outlets.

CSRs are most rude the retention ass I spoke to was absolutely the worst CSR I have EVER spoken to in my 30 years of dealing with customer service reps. The guy was yelling at me and threatening as well kept me on the phone after I had requested to cancel at least TEN times.

It was so bad I wrote a snail mail return receipt requested to the former CEO of DirecTV, someone at the executive offices signed for the letter, but I never heard ONE PEEP from anyone at the executive offices!!!!!!!

Cancelled.

I hope this scam company goes out of business.

directv lies

@mpowercom.net

direct tv lies

when i first signed up they told me that if i moved all i would have to do is bring my box and just plug it in and it would work. i moved into a house that already had a direct tv satellite on it that they actually verified that it worked and they still charged me $200 to "activate it" which meant that a guy came and pressed a button and in 2 seconds it was magically on. later on we ended up moving to an apartment complex where i could not recieve satellite because of the apartment complex and they said they would have to charge me an "early termination fee" my ass. i told them i'm just not going to pay anything at all anymore and forget about them. screw direct tv they just take you for as much money as they can get away with!

toxfinity

@clearwire-wmx.net

searching for satellite signal

For the last past month I come home from work, pick up the remote control and all I get is...you guessed it! "searching for satellite signal. I'm home this week becomes I'm not feeling well. I have on the tv but guess what I'm watching...you guessed it! "searching for satellite signal". Called customer service to no avail! I have to pay them to be my own service technician to there faulty equipment! I am done....going back to my beloved Comcast...To Xfinity And Beyond!!!!!!!!
bull16

join:2013-01-22
Roy, UT

Re: searching for satellite signal

To get free service calls you need the protection plan. if you would of had that it would cover your equiptment and you wouldnt of had to pay a fee. simple as that

gnubee

Re: searching for satellite signal

Think about how you stated that. It would have covered your equipment. It wasn't his equipment. He is being charged to rent this equipment and use it. So if you ask me this company should make sure their equipment is working properly without extra cost!!

Wiccawoman

@cvgs.net

Re: searching for satellite signal

First off, Directv does not charge a lease fee. There is a $6 mirroring fee that is applied for every additional receiver but no monthly lease fee. When you first start service you get this equipment free it is leased yes but there are no lease fees. If you want to upgrade there may be a ONE time lease fee but not a recurring lease fee. And the protection plan covers your sattelite dish even though once it is installed it is YOUR property. And to be perfectly honest if there is something wrong with your equipment along the road then it is not Directv's fault. When they sent it to you it was working fine. It's not their fault if it develops a problem down the road. Please learn your facts.

unhappy new

@spcsdns.net

sham

I have had your service for 2weeks now & I want to let everyone know how horrible your company is being run. From the poor installation to the promotional promises u made that u refuse to honor. I have had to call on 4 different occasions regarding different issues with my service & have about 7 hours of my time wasted on the phone dealing with them just to get transferred to a total of 9 people between all 4 calls. Your company can't seem to patch me threw to anyone that knows what they are doing. Your services are a sham & your ripping off hard working people. U should be ashamed. I will make sure that I recommend to everyone I talk to not to use your services!! I will send as many emails, Facebook posts, tweets, letters & even publish articles in all the local papers in my area informing people of how u treat your customers. DO NOT SIGNUP FOR DIRECTV. THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF!!!

They picked the WRONG customer to screw with! LOL

See my post above.

When I sent their CEO a certified mail return receipt requested letter I expect as a paying customer that someone will look into the matter and at least send an brief summary of their findings....I felt my account security and private information was in jeopardy with that ass clown that was handing the cancellation of my account that day. The CSR was obnoxious, threatening, possibly off shore, and sure enough my personal info was all there in front of him on the computer screen...That is why although I was being abused and blustered at by this monkey I kept my composure and level head and proceeded to not let his outrageous behavior to get the best of me even though I was the customer.

You clowns at DirecTV goofed when you dropped the ball because I at EVERY possible opportunity post my horrific experience.

Whether it is on line, in person, or on the phone, I tell EVERYONE I speak to...... NEVER to subscribe to DirecTV.

thinking

scared

I am thinking of becoming a new customer after reading all these reviews I am afraid... IF I SIGN UP i want what is going to be promised to me and I dont need or ask for a lot... What can you do to make sure I get what I want or need ? And I want something in writing that if not happy or do not get what I am told I can cancel without penalty...

Re: scared - you should be

Based on my experiences, I STRONGLY advise against doing business with Direct TV. I thought my credit card would protect me from an outrageous overcharge, but they found a way around that protection. They claim that they have issued a check for the overcharge and that my card company should not have reversed the overcharge. Now, I am supposed to reimburse them for a check that I have not received - and they can't produce a copy of it. I can't prove it, but this seems like fraud and harassment to me. At best, DIRECT TV has ineffective and inefficient business practices - at worst, it perpetrates fraud against people who make the mistake of doing business with them.
NYGiants

join:2012-08-31
united state

Re: scared

directv has good service but abuses it with overcharging you, and scamming you, keep your comcast, etc.

MNComcastCus

@comcast.net
I was thinking about leaving Comcast because of the cost but after reading reviews I'm going to stay with them. They have great service and DTV has no customer service. I'd rather pay more than deal with a headache of calling them every month.

Thanks to all for your reviews.

Review by candysofia24

• Location: Seneca,Newton,MO
Good "the promotional promises they make"
Bad "the installation, the customer service"
Overall "i do not recommend there services to anyone!!"

I have had your service for 2weeks now & I want to let everyone know how
horrible your company is being run. From the poor installation to the
promotional promises u made that u refuse to honor. I have had to call on 4
different occasions regarding different issues with my service & have about
7 hours of my time wasted on the phone dealing with them just to get
transferred to a total of 9 people between all 4 calls. Your company can't
seem to patch me threw to anyone that knows what they are doing. Your
services are a sham & your ripping off hard working people. U should be
ashamed. I will make sure that I recommend to everyone I talk to not to use
your services!! I will send as many emails, Facebook posts, tweets, letters
& even publish articles in all the local papers in my area informing people
of how u treat your customers.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by liz1983 See Profile

• Location: Chantilly,Fairfax,VA
Good "I get nbc so I can watch Ellen!"
Bad "If I record Ellen I wont be able to watch it since DVR doesnt connect"
Overall "Dont sign up"

·DIRECTV

It all started in August! Hubby LOVES football, we were tired of crappy
verizon, so we make the leap and sign up with Directv! Installed without
programming remotes but thats ok. Day 2 of having service...no playlist on
other tv's??? We have 4 kids and like to record their shows for "tv time".
I call about the DVR...no fix. Now we see that the playlist will disappear
all together or if it is there it will be from last week (shows we've
already deleted will show up and new shows from that day are MIA?) I have
reset the box, had directv to my house MANY times and even had a case
manager (had a code 47 and 48..had these codes this morning!) STILL NO FIX

November when directv is tired of us calling, assign us a case
manager...who should not work in customer service..ever, told me "in 3
weeks OR SO our new SOFTWARE will fix ALL your problems, no you cannot get
out of your contract unless you pay $450" So, now its January:) December
4th my tv showed new software BUT I found out this morning that wasnt "THE"
software so my problems are still ongoing! So, NOW, JAnuary 8th I still
have directv and it still doesnt work BUT IM STILL PAYING BECASUE ITS NOT
THEIR FAULT ITS THE SOFTWARE!!!! Isnt that your fault? I feel like I should
get an hourly pay because Im always reseting, unhooking or speaking to
DIRECTV.

Tv is such a small thing in life and shouldnt be this difficult. I pay you
for a SERVICE, YOU PROVIDE ME THAT SERVICE..RIGHT? Not at directv...you pay
them and you kinda get service BUT they are working on it so as a paying
customer,I WAIT, wait until the engineers release "THE" software. Well Ive
been patient since AUGUST and IVE HAD IT.

The manager this morning tried to comfort me in telling me " THIS IS AN
ONGOING PROBLEM, YOU ARE NOT 1st PERSON I'VE TALKED TO TODAY WHO HAS THE
SAME ISSUE. Thats sad! It sure didnt make me feel better, it made me come
come online and WARN others. If you want to pay for a service and not
receive it...PICK DIRECTV...if you want a constant headache and always be
"on hold"...PICK DIRECTV If you dont want your kids watching that much
tv...PICK DIRECTV...If you like a big blue box informing you "your playlist
is disconnected" every 2 minutes...PICK DIRECTV

If you want to be in the boat of people with the "same" problem for 6
months with no fix in sight...PICK DIRECTV

The promise on their website is a script not a "promise". If that were true
I would be out the the contract, like requested, without paying you $450! I
feel you breeched the contract and have not fufilled your end...not even
close. But...the little people pay and the suits win! I cannot believe a
"new" customer has had such a horrrible experience with your company is on
the hook for the cancellation fee. Maybe you should pay me the fee and do
me a favor for once! I thought it was cheaper to keep an "old" customer
than to advertise for a "new" customer??? I hope if you have a similar
problem you TELL THE WORLD...warn people not to get involved until this
MAGIC SOFTWARE IS RELEASED! GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO ARE NEW IN MY SHOES, AND
TO THOSE WHO ARE "OLD" CUSTOMER WHO CANT GET OUT..

Comments:
johnlm

join:2013-04-08
Eldon, MO

Package deals and the referral bonus

DirecTV advertises all the time that they offer $10 off your bill if your refer someone else to join them. But, they also pair will all kinds of telecom companies to get customers to join. I referred my mother to DirecTV and since she needed to get a new phone company at her new place, we got her a bundle with Century Link and DirecTV. As we signed her up for the bundle, Century Link informed me that we would have to contact DirecTV to get the referral discount. I spent nearly 30 minutes on the phone with a lady in the Philippines who felt it more important to lecture me on the necessity for my mother to give my account number when she signed up, than to stop for a minute an listen to what I was trying to tell her. It was obvious she had her little flow chart in front of her and was totally unable to deviate from the page she was on. I finally got an answer to have my mother call this special number and have HER give them my account number to get the discount. My mother is 73 years old and, following several strokes, is easily confused and exhausted. There is no way she could handle this on her own. I called my sister, who lives across the street from her, and asked her to call, with my mother there, so she could take care of this. Now, my sister is a 55 year old lawyer who has worked in the office of a Federal Judge for over 30 years. She is a very capable woman. She called me back later that night saying she was giving up. She said she was transferred at least 10 times, and was finally told that, yes, we could do it, but that mom was already getting a $5.00 discount for signing up with a bundle, but that if we wanted the $10.00 off both of our bills (as the referral commercial states) we would have to cancel the original work order and create a new one. My mother was moving into her new place that weekend and the original work order was scheduled for two days before she was going to be in the house. If we canceled now, she wouldn't have tv for about a week. This was unacceptable.

DirecTV gets out of giving the referral bonus by giving you a runaround that no one could possibly stand, and then by making you (working people) change your schedule to accommodate their mismanaged processes. I can't wait for the day when there is true competition between television providers. The public is always taken advantage of because most places only have one cable company, or two lame satellite providers.

Review by mospat See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
Good "Great Video Quality, Great Variety of Channels"
Bad "Their phone support is almost useless"
Overall "Better than traditional cable TV"

·Knology
I have been a customer of Directv for 10+ years now and I have very little bad that I can say about their services.

The only issue I ever have with the reception is during heavy rains but only very heavy rain. All other times the quality is perfect!

I installed everything myself so I don't know anything about their installation services.. I have had to deal with their phone support a couple of times over the past few years and most times it is beyond useless if powering the receiver off doesn't fix the issue now.

I have two receivers, one with DVR and one standard bot have been reliable.

As with most services of this type I believe they overcharge and are overly restrictive but maybe the proliferation of online video services will help bring some competition?

I would recommend them!

member for 1.6 years, 18 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by liz1983 See Profile

• Location: Chantilly,Fairfax,VA
Bad "The multiroom DVR is REALLY not an option until new software is installed!"
Overall "I feel ripped off and stuck in a contract with a company who doesnt hold up their end!"

·DIRECTV
It all started in August! Hubby LOVES football, we were tired of crappy verizon, so we made the leap and signed up with Directv! Installed without programming remotes but thats ok. Day 2 of having service...no playlist on other tv's??? We have 4 kids and like to record their shows for "tv time". I call about the DVR...no fix. Now we see that the playlist will disappear all together or if it is there it will be from last week (shows we've already deleted will show up and new shows from that day are MIA?) I have reset the box, had directv to my house MANY times and even had a case manager (had a code 47 and 48..had these codes this morning!) STILL NO FIX

November when directv is tired of us calling, assign us a case manager...who should not work in customer service..ever, told me "in 3 weeks OR SO our new SOFTWARE will fix ALL your problems, no you cannot get out of your contract unless you pay $450" So, now its January:) December 4th my tv showed new software BUT I found out this morning that wasnt "THE" software so my problems are still ongoing! So, NOW, JAnuary 8th I still have directv and it still doesnt work BUT IM STILL PAYING BECASUE ITS NOT THEIR FAULT ITS THE SOFTWARE!!!! Isnt that your fault? I feel like I should get an hourly pay because Im always reseting, unhooking or speaking to DIRECTV.

Tv is such a small thing in life and shouldnt be this difficult. I pay you for a SERVICE, YOU PROVIDE ME THAT SERVICE..RIGHT? Not at directv...you pay them and you kinda get service BUT they are working on it so as a paying customer,I WAIT, wait until the engineers release "THE" software. Well Ive been patient since AUGUST and IVE HAD IT.

The manager this morning tried to comfort me in telling me " THIS IS AN ONGOING PROBLEM, YOU ARE NOT 1st PERSON I'VE TALKED TO TODAY WHO HAS THE SAME ISSUE. Thats sad! It sure didnt make me feel better, it made me come online and WARN others. If you want to pay for a service and not receive it...PICK DIRECTV...if you want a constant headache and always be "on hold"...PICK DIRECTV If you dont want your kids watching that much tv...PICK DIRECTV...If you like a big blue box informing you "your playlist is disconnected" every 2 minutes...PICK DIRECTV

If you want to be in the boat of people with the "same" problem for 6 months with no fix in sight...PICK DIRECTV

The promise on their website is a script not a "promise". If that were true I would be out the the contract, like requested, without paying you $450! I feel you breeched the contract and have not fufilled your end...not even close. But...the little people pay and the suits win! I cannot believe a "new" customer has had such a horrrible experience with your company is on the hook for the cancellation fee. Directv should pay me the fee and do me a favor for once! I thought it was cheaper to keep an "old" customer than to advertise for a "new" customer??? I hope if you have a similar problem you TELL THE WORLD...warn people not to get involved until this MAGIC SOFTWARE IS RELEASED! GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO ARE NEW IN MY SHOES, AND TO THOSE WHO ARE "OLD" CUSTOMER WHO CANT GET OUT..

Comments:

capt jack

@verizon.net

Direct TV

Sounds so much better than crappy Verizon!
join:2012-06-11

You CAN get out of the contract!

If they are NOT delivering what they promised you, they are in breach of contract, and as such you have a legal right to end that contract WITHOUT any penalties or fees as a result. You have given them MORE THAN ADEQUATE TIME TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM YOU ARE EXPERIENCING!

Call them back and politely tell them that you wish to cancel because they are in breach of their part of the contact. Also send a snail mail return receipt requested to the executive offices briefly stating what you have communicated here.

batman69

@cvgs.net

Re: You CAN get out of the contract!

Ok for one, the directv promise is that we provide tv programing that is their agreement to all of there customers. If the equipment is faulty yet its a know issue and it be worked on then they do not let you out of the agreement, you agreed to get T.V SERVICES which means u can watch live t.v then they have every right to charge a early cancel fee cause your tv is working and you are getting programing

Review by lawson4212 See Profile

• Location: Madison,Dane,WI
Good "Great product, only lose service in terrible weather, great HD"
Bad "Offer promotions but don't follow through, plead ignorance later"
Overall "If they were honest about promotions and charges, this would be great"
Mail,DNS,News:

I signed up for DirecTV at a Best Buy in the summer of 2010 because there was a promotion when I bought my TV. I was supposed to get $300 in Best Buy money from DirecTV, as well as $20/month off my bill for my 1 year contract. I never received any of this. DirecTV claimed me living in an apartment (already wired for DirecTV) is why I didn't qualify for the $20 off. They also claimed I didn't sign up for their services at Best Buy-why I didn't get the $300. They knew my address before I signed the papers and I definitely purchased it at Best Buy. I love their product they put out. It has terrific channel selection and HD quality. I'm still bitter about losing out on $500+ in promotions from the first year, as well as the local internet company that goes with the service is complete garbage. I'm considering a switch to Charter for better internet and comparable TV that works in storms.

Comments:

Review by brettarmstrong93

• Location: Opelika,Lee,AL
Mail,DNS,News:

I was told to be here at noon and the installer would come between noon and 4. At 4, a lady three states away called and told me the guy would be here between 4 & 5. It is now 5:20, no one has arrived & the automated calling service says my installer is 45 minutes away! Would not recommend.

Sent from my iPhone

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Mp

Direct tv is a SCAM!

Direct tv is a scam because they sent me a flyer for 200 dollar debit card for signin up for direct tv an then I called an spoke to multiple people and they all were saying that I wasn't eligible for the debit card when that was the whole reason I signed up they just suck you in an then scam you I would not recommend direct tv too anyone. This is ridiculous. Because they said the people that signed me up for it didn't put the debit card on my account saying that I was able to get the debit card. That is a scam.

Suckered

@cox.net

Re: Direct tv is a SCAM!

Wow! Same issue here just tonight. Suppose to be here by 4pm, automated call came after we got a call around 5 minutes after 4 from installer. Automated called said same, 45 minutes away. The installer got here around 4:30, had to call in a friend to help and they left here at 7:30.
ollie71

join:2013-01-02

Unhappy with new DTV install

DTV was installed 10/18/12. Installation rep did not go over what he was installing, to see if it was what I ordered/wanted. He had probems connecting to my WiFi, but said it was corrected, then left. I had intermittent trouble since then with WiFi connections & pixillation. Called them 10/28/12 c/o pixillating on tv screen & they assisted with correcting it. Thought all issues were resolved, but NO they weren't. Called them again 11/22/12 about loss of WiFi connection. Received new ethernet cable after Thanksgiving. Still had problems, so called them again. Today, tech came to house & said there were initial install problems & corrected them, got rid of ethernet & WiFi works great! But we discovered that we did not have GENIE DVR, as I had requested in the first place. Called Customer Service & they said they had only one record of my calling with complaints, & that I couldn't get the free GENIE because I waited too long to tell them that what I had wasn't what I ordered. The GENIE would be $500, not free like the ads state! Rep gave me every excuse in the book, blaming ME for not knowing that I didn't have a GENIE, not accepting any responsibility for the 'bait and switch'! How was I to know that what looked like a GENIE wasn't one? As I said my reception was intermittent. I would NEVER recommend DTV to anyone! I now know that many of my friends/family have also had negative reviews of DTV.

Janet

@mycingular.net

Direct tv sucks

Direct tv sucks they told me I could cancel at no cost 30 days after activation n when I called to cancel due to unsatisfactory service they told me that I have to pay $460 are u kidding me?? Do not recommend. Dish is much better service

Richga

@wayport.net

Re: Direct tv sucks

same thing here.. this was the only reason i had dtv installed. a 30 day cancellation option. called on day 28 only to hear the same thing. $480 in fees. they said i had to cncel within the first 24 hour. i can't wait for this contract to be gone..

blxiblues

@comcast.net

SLIMY Sales Technique !!!

Although they talk a good talk, DIRECT TV is just as slimy as all the others. I called to explore the option of switching from COMCAST. I just wanted info. My bad: I allowed myself to be railroaded into scheduling a tentative installation appt. Their bad: Even though I cancelled the appt 12 hours later, the installation charge still appeared on my credit card, and now I will wait 10 days for a refund. Just as bad as COMCAST, maybe worse.

Keel

@bellsouth.net

Direc TV

In comparison to Dishnetwork, DirecT TV is a thief. It is obvious that Dishnetwork are honest people; they are upfront as to what you will pay for your monthly services. I signed a contract for a fixed monthly payment during a promotion for two years. When I received my first month bill, it was on target. When the second bill arrived, the payment had ballooned up. They are deceitful when they tell the customers about their initial sign-on, and once the contract is signed they manipulate your account to their satisfaction. "DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH DIRECT TV," it is a scam, and they come up with all kinds of lies to cover their backs. Apparently, they think that the American public is stupid. Well, those same customers have friends and they have friends that will give them heads up about Direct tv's scams. Eventually, their business/wall will come tumbling down. YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW DIRECT TV!!! One pissed off unsatisfied short-term customer.

Re: Direc TV

Well Dish Network is a joke. They lie, lie, lie!!! My bill has never been right. I should be paying around $130.00 give or take a dollar or two but my bills have been over $200.00. Every time you talk to someone they change their story. My husband was talking to some lady and wanted to fax her our statements for the last year and a half, she wanted no part of it. She got defensive and said she was looking at the same statement but it wasn't reading what was on ours. They are liers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scamed

@spcsdns.net

thief

direct tv is a thief got my atm card number for hookup charged me and then canceled said soneone else lived their before so they had to keep my money now I have to cancel my debit card.

Review by marsha See Profile

• Location: Schuylkill Haven,Schuylkill,PA
Bad "Poor Customer Service..... Beware"
Overall "Would not recommend"
Mail,DNS,News:

I have Direct TV for a year now and I would not recommend them to anyone... At first they leave you with this warm and fuzzy feeling ..... till they have you sign on the line. When I was first researching Direct TV people who were unhappy with them all said the same thing. They will tell you what you want to hear BUT be concerned with what they are not telling you. And they only help you and make promises to you when it is time to renew... Which I will be not doing at the end of my contract and I am counting the months. I have had the service for for a year and got 3 receiver boxes FREE because of my credit at time of installation (And was told today I could have gotten 4 FREE with the deal I joined under)....Now a year later and never being a day late with my payment I call to get another box and I am told that it will cost me 99.99 for box PLUS a 6.00 a month extra fee. I can understand the monthly extra fee because another tv will be receiving signal HOWEVER I will not pay 99.99 for another box that in one year they will offer to give me for free to keep me when I disconnect and go back to Comcast.... Would you not want to keep a customer happy??? The lady on the phone just told me " After one year of service you are not considered a loyal customer" let me guess.... one year from now when my contract is gonna run out I will then be a loyal customer....I have to say next year I will be a Comcast customer AGAIN....Please listen to someone who has lived and learned Direct TV is not what they tell you they are..Beware of what they are NOT telling you.

LISTEN to this MAN!

I too have the same opinion of DirecTV.

Had been a solid customer for two years with a contract, allowed them to use auto pay to deduct payments on time automatically.
When I went to cancel after MEETING ALL OF MY OBLIGATIONS it was the worst experience I have EVER had in my 30 years of dealing with CSRs at ANY company!!!!!

Check out my other reviews on DirecTV.

DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO DIRECTV.

THEY ARE CROOKS AND SCAMMERS!
whozzit

join:2003-03-26
Westwood, CA
·DigitalPath

DirecTV...

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I had DirecTV (analog) for a few years; two boxes and three TV's; and when I called them about one thing or another about a year and a half ago the girl, when looking at my service said, "OMG!" "You're entitled to a new HDTV dish and two new HDTV receivers at no cost to you what so ever!" So I asked her what was the holdup? It was a couple of bucks extra for the HD but it wasn't much. The installation and all of the equipment was free. And I've still got the old dish and the two other receivers out in the garage (right next to the old DishNetwork dish and receivers from a few years before I went with DirecTV). The DirecTV setup hasn't done a thing wrong in the last couple of years. I've been cutting down the "package" some, over the last year or so. I've made up for more than I've cut with a Roku device that's attached to the TV and connects wireless to my wireless router so the Roku programming is there 24/7 as well. Any more I find myself watching movies and things over the internet and on my computer than I do watching things on the TV's.

overit

@myvzw.com

look closely everytime

We have been loyal DTV customers for 12 years, due to a lack of choices where we live. Back in September we moved to a new place and took it with us,, no problem they even upgraded us to HDTV receivers we pay the bills, one day my husband gets to looking at the bill and sees that they are charging us for 3 receivers, we only have 2, he calls customer service and they tell him he has to pay the bill in full before they can credit us back the money. We owed 60$ they owed us 48$, didn't understand why after 12 years they couldn't credit it back. Fast forward to today, I wake up to watch the news and it says we have no service, call customer service and it won't let us talk to a person, keeps telling us to make a payment-we owed $88, paid $100 last week, so that would be extra money? Plus they still owe us the other credit! Now that we live closer to civilization I think it's time we just get CABLE!