DIRECTV page on DSLReports

• Location: Bingen,Klickitat,WA
Good "nothing"
Bad "everything"
Overall "You're insane to sign up with them."
Mail,DNS,News:

I would be embarrassed to put "DIRECTV Customer Service Rep" on my resume.

I've never been late, always paid on time, ideal customer. Despite
that, every time I call I'm hung up on, put on hold and they never
come back and today I was told "sorry it's been a long week" while a
rep was really cranky with me.

What the hell is going on over there? Is this slave labor or
something? I've never so consistently encountered such a miserable
group of people each and every single time I contact DIRECTV with a
simple question like: did you get the extra receiver I sent back to
you? Seriously, it took 20 minutes and one disconnect to get an answer
to that question.

It's bizarre. If there is such a thing as a call center run out of a
prison, this is one of them. I've never longed to speak to a rep in
India before today, but that would be a much more productive
experience for sure. I'll be cancelling and finding a more
professional outfit to do business with. These people are weird. And
mean. You can imagine how this spills over into money management and
billing. Night. Mare.

Beware.

You are NOT alone!

I'm glad you mentioned this because I too experienced the EXACT same attitude that you have under the same circumstances.

Signed up for 2 yr contract. Used auto pay...fulfilled the contract for the 2 yrs. Called to cancel due to the regular price being way too high for what you get. Transferred to "retention" where the OBNOXIOUS, LOUDMOUTHED, BELIGERENT, customer NO service rep went on about how he INSISTED I tell him what it would take for me to stay before he would cancel my account....Well I told him 25$/mo with current package with NO contract....puts me on hold for 15 minutes and finally returns telling me they can't do that as the market doesn't reflect that kind of price...LOL Again I say cancel for the 10th time!!! Then this asshat yelling says "We will find all your PPVs that you ordered as you don't have a phone line connected to your receiver...CLEARLY THREATENING ME! as if it would intimidate me into renewing because I had "Cheated them"...Well I told that
forking asshole that if he checked I had only ordered ONE PPV the over the entire two years BY ACCIDENT, and had called them IMMEDIATELY after the error to have it removed...

Now that shut that monkey up finally he cancelled the account...without so much as an apology for his OUTRAGEOUS behavior on the phone, I have NEVER encountered such behavior in my over 30 years of dealing with CSRs at ANY OTHER COMPANY!

I was so disgusted that I sent a return receipt requested snail mail to the then CEO a couple of years ago and recounted what happened, I asked him to investigate and get back to me about this abusive behavior....well a couple of weeks later I received the postal slip indicating that DirecTV executive manglement had received the letter, but not ONE word out of them after that.....

I will NEVER subscribe to DirecTV again and I will tell as many other people I know to STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

DIRECTV ARE CROOKS!
Couriant

join:2012-10-29
Peoria, AZ

I concur -- and I work in a cable internet call center

I had a similar experience that I haven't had the time to forward the complaint to the higher ups and BBB. We canceled cable TV (I live in an area we don't provide services) to get DirecTV as it would have been cheaper even if I was in full price. The breakdown is:

I called up for some pre-sales question - hung up on while getting some information and the person quickly came from nice to frustrated... I was also ill at the time.

We finally ordered the services as we are moving, only to find out that the CSR didn't include the wireless clients for the Genie. No problem... however they had to do the whole order again, giving us a new account number (makes no sense to me)... which we found out that she also made a mistake (missed our referral). Also we ordered the Fox Sports A La Carte (Channels 621/622) but that somehow was missed... and now to the customer/technical support...

I called technicial support and apparantely they don't know their lineups as they told me 621 and 622 is not available as a separate package/a la carte... but their channel lineup says so otherwise. They were trying to push the full package or drop to the lower teir and get sports because my current plan does not allow to add sports to it.

Also they were trying to make themselves look good for offering me their wireless access point so I can have on-demand for free... however it was already in my order and the tech did not install it/didn't have it with him.

The field tech was nice and did a good job and so far I have had no issues with the service or it's quality (living in Arizona has it's benefits... unless you are in the north )

Now our move is done... time to rip into a manager about these inconsistencies. If it wasn't for conflict of interest, i would demand the CS Managers job and fix this ugly mess.

• Location: Hicksville,Nassau,NY
Mail,DNS,News:

payback time for direct tv. a guy named ken called me last week to offer me
a dvr and other stuff he called me at work during the night shift and was
told NO and do not call me again ,well he called back tonight and was not
given a warm welcome , i was up on a ladder and had to stop my crew to deal
with him. he thought it was so funny he blocked his number and called me
three more times . help me fill his calender . i need as many people to
call him at 1 800 375 8211 ex 105 and tell him this is what happens when
you screw with customers . it's MY money and if i chose not to give it to
you . i hold the upper hand, i'm the customer . please call often and every
time you want to vent a little tyvm dno

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:
Technicholas

join:2010-11-11
Winterset, IA

It isn't

»800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-800-375-8211 its not a corporate directv its a reseller.

mjybt

@bellsouth.net

Re: It isn't

they got me with an NFL package I didn't order for an extra 30/month. I told them on the phone to just cancell service. the ass clown told me no ! and hung up. I paid the last bill for the month, they turned off the service, but continued to bill me. again I called and asked where to send equipment to, they said they would not terminate service and charges and LAUGHED and hung up. 3 months later direct TV STOLE $435.38 out of my bank account. I cancelled the bank card and my bank said that direct tv can use the info from the cancelled card and find my wifes card info to continue to charge. I had to close bank account. they are still calling and sending bills for large amounts of money. how can 4 months at $55.00/mo. add up to over $700.00? *this is why you cannot open service without a credit card. * Iwent to AT&T who set up the service and have been hanging around telling people about what they do to you. a few have changed their minds after talking to me, but more needs to be done. I guess it's time to take it to probate court.

Nickie

@bresnan.net

Horrible Choice

Choosing to go with Directv was the worst choice I ever made!!! This is a HORRIBLE company. They continued to add false charges to my account so I closed it. I paid them in full but began receiving calls months later from a collection agency stating I owed for some charge that they could not explain. Take some advice and DO NOT make the same mistake I did. Go with another cable provider.

Marcos

@galaxyvisions.com

Re: Horrible Choice

Agreed. I cancelled my service while still in contract, I was 11 months into a 2 year contract so I have to pay for 13 months @ 20 USD each. (Please note, all other providers only charge 10 USD). The rep I spoke to during the cancellation also confirmed this period of cancellation. I understood this and accepted it perfectly, even made payments towards the cancellation charge before those charges were posted, but then they have said the charges were for an additional 6 months. After several calls trying to figure why, one rep said it was because my contract was extended when I added an additional receiver (although, I paid for it 99.99 USD) and this had reset my contract. NO ONE and absolutely NO NOTIFICATION that adding additional equipment will result in EXTENSION OF CONTRACT. After continueing to contact them about this, they came to the conclusion that this was a valid charge and that I would be responsible for it. Please take note, before this decision was reached, a manager had authorized a reimbursment for the receiver, and explained the contract was not supposed to have been extended. Unfortunately, no one honored the refund and after several more hours and calls I was left with a charge and warning that if I didnt pay, I would be taken to collections. NEVER AGAIN DIRECT TV. Incompetent personnel which everytime I called gave a different answer, lack of communication (never got called back when I was promised) and most importantly illigal extension of contract as they never asked for my consent to do so!

SALYSUEFUKU

@comcast.net
DTV IS A SATELLITE PROVIDER. NOT A CABLE PROVIDER.

NotHappy

@clearwire-wmx.net

Dvr recording

They suck !!! Direct tv lie to
Me bottom line they lie to me when I sign up promising record up to 5 programs at the same time , not so only 2 programs at the same time I ask for a change and they say 200$ for a change total rip off

Review by meka2710 See Profile

• Location: Stillwater,Payne,OK
Good "Many channels"
Bad "Expensive, unauthorized charges, poor customer service"
Overall "I would not recommend DirecTV"
Mail,DNS,News:

DirecTV "gave" us an NFL package without notice. Apparently, it was a free trial offer with an auto renew, but they never informed us. We didn't use it because we didn't even know we had it. DirecTV then added the NFL package to our plan without our consent and started charging us $33 per month. Our bill went up to $197 a month! When I finally noticed it, I called to cancel the NFL pkg. I didn't ask for a refund for the past charges, I just asked to cancel the $33 pkg from that day forward. They said I couldn't cancel because I was bound by contract. They said I should have called them within days of the first charge. How could I be bound by contract when I never authorized the extra package in the first place? I wish I could switch to Dish Network but I can't until next summer without paying a big cancellation fine. I did an online search and DirecTV has a ton of negative reviews and complaints about unauthorized charges. I have paperless billing and auto payment set up for the convenience, but now I will have to check my DirecTV bill line by line for unauthorized charges every single month in case they try and do this again. A DirecTV call center employee anonymously posted on a blog that every customer needs to read ALL of the fine print on their DirecTV contract, because it states that they have the right to add packages to your plan without your consent. The employee basically stated it is the customer's fault since it is perfectly legal. I had Dish Network for over 10 years and they never added anything without our consent first. I will switch back to Dish as soon as our DirecTV contract ends.

join:2012-06-11

DirecTV is run by CRIMINALS!

I hear you.

Call them and tell that because they have NOT LIVED UP TO THEIR PART OF THE CONTRACT (by adding services they charge for without the consent of the customer) have VIOLATED their agreement with you, what they have done constitutes FRAUD!

Tell them that you IMMEDIATELY dissolve the contract because DirecTV violated it. If they refuse or give you ANY trouble ask to speak with a supervisor and inform them that if they refuse to end the contract (WITH NO FEES OR CHARGES FOR THE TERMINATION) you will be contacting your state's attorney general, and the local media.

Don't use DirecTV they are crooks.

DebbieG

@bhn.net

Re: DirecTV is run by CRIMINALS!

I agree they are crooks. I contacted my state's attorney general but it didn't do any good.
Trolling

join:2013-01-14
Ogden, UT
If you have read directv contract, You would understand that is not violating it in any way.Nfl Sunday ticket does auto renew. if You dont want that charge on your bill, Call to cancel before the season starts. I have recieved a letter with my bill that informs me to cancel that service before i get charged. if you disregarded the letter without reading it thats your fault and you sound like a jackass complaining about something you could of easily avoided.

Review by Jackarino See Profile

• Location: Allendale,Bergen,NJ
Good "Alot of channels and features"
Bad "Storms"
Overall "Excellent if there isn't a storm outside"
Mail,DNS,News:

I loved directv! I had a ton of channels and an excellent DVR service. Price is good, a little on the high side after a year or two. If there's any kind of storm or light drizzle outside, don't plan on watching tv, because this service is terrible in those situations!

member for 7.6 years, 1970 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by backtodt See Profile

• Location: Frisco,Collin,TX
Good "dependable and interface is nice to use"
Overall "so glad to have it back and be rid of Dish"
Mail,DNS,News:

Had DirecTV but switched to Dish for a good deal. Lousy service and interface with Dish was awful. Nothing was easy to use. Swithched back to DirecTV. I have so many free things that Dish said would cost extra so they only seemed cheaper than DirecTV. Now I can record 5 shows at once where I was limited to 2. I LOVE DirecTV!!

Comments:

Russelld

@centurytel.net

Dish vs. directv

I switched from dish to directv and I've had nothing but trouble with directv. The screen freezes when you do anything, so I have to reboot the whole system about once a day. Techs have been out twice in the first month, still problems. I've call tech support maybe three times in addition to tech guys being out here. They say I have the best top of the line directv receiver in my house. At least the reset button works without fail, but that's about it.

Guy

@cox.net

Horrible Service, Rude People, Bait and Switch Tactics

The worst experience in 2012. Ordered Services and they tried to "bait and switch" to a higher price. Called President Mike White informed he Never talks to customers, too bad. went to a customer service department who didn't care, told me in essence to take it or leave it. talked to a supervisor Kelly Morgan and she was rude and said it was my problem. i couldn't believe in todays business market a company operated like this. I will never recommend them to anyone and anytime anyone asks me they are the very worst! too bad.

Unhappy Cust

@sonic.net

Too high a PRICE and POOR Customer Service

The price jumps to ridiculous amounts and the customer service is really shit. We canceled only to find that the bill doesn't - haha. I would not want to inflict this kind of service on my worse enemy.

Service reps ROBO talk and little in the way of customer satisfaction was received.

LIED TO

@sonic.net

Talk to So Asia - and Get Satisfaction?????

I cancelled my service with DIRECT TV and in the process have found them to have NO ETHICS or INTEGRITY. At the cancellation we were told by the "Resolutions Department" that we just needed to ship back the equipment and that our balance would be zero. Today I received a bill for $101.01 I have talked to 3 Customer Service Agents - one of which told me that the account would be "zeroed out" and to a supervisor in So Asia.

I asked the supervisor for some INTEGRITY - that they would actually stand behind what their PEOPLE SAID - she said that "INTEGRITY is being consistent." Maybe I just don't get it - but I always thought it was "STANDING BEHIND YOUR WORD."

DirectTV must be consistent in misleading and screwing people.

Dissapointed

@fau.edu

Re: Talk to So Asia - and Get Satisfaction?????

Same experience, but I did not cancelled, instead I moved and downgraded the service. Direct TV customer service, never switch the package, therefore I was paying for a program that i did not receive. Called and talked to two supervisors and they didn't care, they stated that the program will be switched to the new package but have to pay for the premier programer. I will never recommend Direct TV, they are a ripoff.

Review by grimlock See Profile

• Location: Tampa,Hillsborough,FL
Good "Crystal clear HD and outstanding channel line-up"
Bad "Pre-sales information about prices and fees"
Overall "It's the best bang for the buck I've ever gotten"

I really wanted to be a good cord-cutter and just go with OTA signals in addition to the various apps I get on my PS3, but unfortunately, physics precludes this. OTA signals are line-of-sight and I cannot receive them. But I also enjoy sports quite a bit so I have to have some good sports programming.

Keeping this in mind, I had two choices: DirecTV and Verizon FiOS. DirecTV offered the channel line-up I want for about $35/month (later went up to $50); Verizon offered the same selection for ~$75/month. That, in addition to the fact that Verizon does not carry NasaTV which is FREE, quickly eliminated Verizon. So I signed up for DirecTV's "Choice" package with an HD receiver (I did not want the DVR and its extra fees). I ordered it on a Sunday and the best they could do was to install it on Friday. That seemed below average to me, but the technician was awesome. He was friendly and knew what he was doing. Installation took maybe 20 minutes at the most. However he didn't have to install anything but the receiver and get it programmed and I was off to the races. (FYI: I live in a condo which already has the dishes installed, so it's satellite TV but from my perspective it's really great cable.)

Since then, it's been rock-solid reliable. I love the channels I get, the HD is crystal clear all the time, and I only pay ~$50/month for the next year. After the first 12 months, it will go up to ~$73/month for another 12 months, then the mandatory 2 year contract ends and I will re-assess my OTA situation. I also love their onscreen tv guide menu...

The only thing I noticed and didn't like was that the fees add up faster than I was led to believe. They say the first HD receiver is free, and I only have 1 HD set, then they charge me a $10 fee for HD service. I thought I could get my payments down to about ~$45/month, but they always seem to have another fee they can throw in there to keep it at least $50. Or maybe I just really stink at math, that wouldn't surprise me either lol. But even after all that, only paying $50/month for 12 months and getting all these channels, I really couldn't be happier.

Comments:

Review by jdharshfield See Profile

• Location: Eagle River,Anchorage,AK
Bad "Directv"
Overall "Bad customer service, misleading services, stick with cable!"

Directv sucks!

You can’t watch on demand shows from any TV without recording the show on the DVR first!

On demand show are downloaded via your internet connection forcing you to upgrade your bandwidth!

If you have the average WIFI router in your home you’ll have to buy one that pushed out more bandwidth or no other devices can is the WIFI.

Directv has the worst customer service I’ve even encountered!

On 14 September 2012 we had Directv installed in our home. We are big on demand fans as we enjoy watching TV on our schedule not the networks. When directv was installed they did not install the Home Cinema Kit which lets you access on demand shows. We called Directv and they sent us the kit but to the wrong address twice, taking over a week in a half for one to actually get to us. I hooked it up and we could now get on demand shows but only on the DVR not the other 3 Directv boxes. I called Directv for the 10th about this issue and was informed for the first time that only the DVR would allow us to watch on demand shows. But if we wanted we could download the show via the DVR and then watch it on any other TV. We were sold this system under the impression that it would work just like cable, which it doesn’t! To resolve this Directv will send us another DVR for $280 or disconnect for a huge fee.

join:2012-06-11

DirecTV are SCAM ARTISTS.

DirectTV are scam artists.

Customer service is THE ABSOLUTE worst I have EVER encountered.

SD picture is like watching youtube at 240p resolution with huge blocky digital artifacts and poor color and contrast quality. Any cable service will be better.

When cancelling my service I was connected with
"customer retention". The OUTRAGEOUS csr was practically yelling at me after I told him at least ten times to simply cancel the service (I was thankfully OUT of my contract!) And thought he could "threaten:" me to stay by accusing me of ordering a lot of PPVs I hadn't payed for, blatant LIE! Only had ONE PPV ordered accidentally which was noted on my account.

I was so horrified by the experience that I sent a snail mail return requested to the then CEO of DirecTV. After about ten days I received the post office receipt that the executive offices had received the letter, but NO ONE from the executive offices ever contacted me about the issue, NOT ONE WORD FROM THEM!

DO NOT USE DirecTV, they are scam artists and crooks.

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Mail,DNS,News:

I have had nothing but issues with directv from the moment I started
service. I requested specific services and the rep yes'd me to death and
when it came time for service to be set up, nothing was correct. There was
no internet set up. I didn't have the channels I requested. There was no
whole home dvr set up and when I called them after everything was installed
they told me that they did not have whole home dvr and that it would be an
extra charge to get the channels I wanted. The channel issue and internet
was set up that day. A couple weeks later I get one of their sales emails
and it says whole home dvr. I call them to ask why it wasn't set up and
they said they could and quoted me the price and they were going to charge
me close to $300 to have the technician come out and set it up. It took me
contacting the better business bureau to get everything I asked for without
the extra charges and hassle.

Now it's over a year later and I moved. It was cheaper for me to just pay
the cancellation fee so when I called to set up a payment plan for that as
I've since been laid off, they told me they will automatically debit my
credit card on file after 20 days. The rep told me that if I tell the bank
to reject the payment, they wll send be a bill after that. I asked for the
card they have on file and so I set that up. I checked another card
account I have today and they took it from an old card. I contacted
directv again and they "don't know why the other rep told me that" that was
the card on file and they will not be issuing a refund since the money is
owed. I explained that now my first month's rent check is going to bounce
because of them and she kept repeating that they have every right to debit
the account even though I told them they did not.

Stay away from them. Even if it's in writing it's on their terms at all
times.

join:2012-06-11

DirecTV are scam artists!

I agree they are crooks, and stiff arm bandits.

Outrageously obnoxious customer service reps! Bullies, that attempt to threaten you . Fraudulent practices abound.

See my other post I made about DirecTV in the other recent review about them listed in the reviews.

bond007

@verizon.net

Re: DirecTV are scam artists!

Directv cannot be trusted; they mislead - quote you a price, say $29.99, but by the time they done with you by adding charges here and there you total bill easily doubles what they quote you initially. Their business model is among those I avoid - they are deceptive.

Review by kcwoman See Profile

• Location: Kansas City,Jackson,MO
Bad "HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE, LIARS & THIEVES"
Overall "WAIT FOR AT&T OR GOOGLE FIBER - NEVER DIRECTV"

I have had DirecTV since moving to Missouri from Colorado 4 years ago. I despise the inconsistency when there is bad weather, but have stuck it out as long as my billing is reasonable. For the last 6 months, my billing has been going up by $5 each month. I call them EVERY month, and the representative promises to credit the account and make my billing accurate for the following month. It NEVER happens. I have been trying to contact them online via their website contact option, which they promise to reply to within 24 hours. They ignore my emails. Google Fiber just opened an office up the street from me, and AT&T is working its way to my neighborhood. I can't WAIT to dump this company!!!!

member for 2 years, 0 visits, last login: 2 years ago

Comments:

Direct TV is a horrible, despicable, lying company

Same problems here, unfortunately. Read through the rest of these reviews and I've experienced many of those same issues through my past year of service. Shoddy installation that destroyed my patio railing, horrible picture quality that only works half the time, solicitors calling daily trying to upsell you something, and the absolute worst customer service department you will ever encounter. I saw the DirectTV CEO on Undercover Boss; I say he needs to keep his butt in the office and fix this horrible company, make it policy to stop lying and cheating people, and apologize to the entire nation for inflicting this awful company upon the world.

mailcom

@bhn.net

Re: Direct TV is a horrible, despicable, lying company

Agree. I contacted customer service inquiring about the cost of registering for service, and the representative began by asking for all of my personal information-name, email and full social security number. After I questioned WHY my social was needed in order to gather cost information, the rep began to raise her voice and claimed she could not process the request without it. I then asked to speak to a manager. The manager claimed it WAS NOT needed, and was able to provide further details. After being on the phone for over 30 minutes, the manager then stated that I either had to join or all of my information would be deleted, hence I'd have to start from scratch with a new customer service representative. AND you still don't know if they'd be able to install the system in your home, but they are happy to gather your credit card, social security number, and sign you up for a 24 month contract. They are worse than cellular companies!

Re: Direct TV is a horrible, despicable, lying company

Yep.

DirecTV is a HORRIBLE company.

From poor quality picture, and unreliable with the slightest rainfall, even with a strong signal and totally clear lie of sight.
To the horrible installers that DAMAGE your home.
To the even WORSE CSRs that are criminal in their behavior on the phone. I wrote the old CEO Mike White a certified, return receipt requested snail mail about the HORRID service, and even though I received the signed receipt back I NEVER HEARD ONE WORD FROM THE EXECUTIVE OFFICES about my legitimate concerns.

I cancelled and will NEVER USE DIRECTV again.

Jactuf

@qwest.net

Dump directtv

I agree, our Directtv in Iowa is very unreliable. Can't wait for contract to expire. Jactuf!

LikamyTV

@cox.net

Don't Get Direct TV

After 2 years of Direct TV They have Screwed Their Customers out of Millions of Dollars and will continue to do so I am going to contact the News try to Post as much as I can Its not Fair to the Direct TV Customers. I ended my ordeal with Direct TV and was told to Just turn in Boxes and My account would be Clear Come to find out They added Bogus Charges and now I owe which I shouldnt owe at all If your a Direct TV Custiomer I will Pray for you all. No one should have to deal with the undue stress that Direct TV causes please evaluate your Bills Carefully I know in my heart that this company is not right.

Pissed DML

@cogentco.com

Re: Don't Get Direct TV

I need your prayers. I am a current DirectTV customer and they are never forthcoming about their charges. Everything is to benefit them--not the consumer. I have been having fights with them since I ordered their service. I had just bought a new house and I originally wanted 4 boxes, but did not need them at the time. So I only ordered 2 boxes. Come to find out that since I didnt get the boxes when I ordered by services, then they would be $200 a piece to lease, and an additional $6 a month. Free NFL ticket is a joke. Had to pay for it year 2. Can't record movies you buy. I am soooo very done with them.

Review by Jaylenn See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Leaving"
Bad "Customer satisfaction, billing, customer service"
Overall "If you want your money stolen, promises broken and rude customer service sign-up...otherwise STAY AWAY!!!"
Mail,DNS,News:

The long and short of this is Direct TV has been a horrific experience. They had me sign up for auto pay then stole my money by charging me for fees that they stated I never should have been charged. They rudely continue to perpetuate the horror by not refunding money promised to me, canceling approved refund amounts, adding random charges that they reverse when I demand an explanation-which they can’t provide- and then take 30 days at a time to submit my refund for money they should never have taken. It's been 2 months and I'm still waiting on my refund! If you have money to throw away in exchange for bad customer service and bad TV service Direct TV will gladly take it off of your hands!

I signed up for Direct TV when I moved to Los Angeles. I was promised a great service, low pricing and a high customer service expectation when I first signed up. My first bill was 3 times what it was supposed to be when I signed up. I call numerous times and no one could explain why. After my 4th call the representative said she would have an "account specialist" call me back to explain the excess fees, but I never received a call. I then called three more times to try and have someone explain what was happening and no one could. When I first signed up sales person from Direct TV said that I would have 30 days to use Direct TV and if I was not completely satisfied I would be able to cancel my service without any fees. After being over charged, receiving no explanation clarifying the charges, hating the channel line up and being promised certain services that were not sent by DTV I opted to invoke my 30 day cancellation rights that were promised by the sales rep who signed me up. The person I spoke to at DTV sounded confused about what I was promised, stated that there wasn't normally a 30 period, however due to the notes on my account and DTV’s constant inability to explain what they were doing with regards to my service and billing, they would waive the early cancellation fees as long as I sent their equipment back in a timely manner. I sent everything back immediately, confirmed with DTV that the received it, however 2 weeks later I was charged an additional $400 by DTV. I called in and the person I spoke to said they were the early cancellation fees. He then began fighting with me saying that I couldn't do anything to reverse the charges. I asked him to read the notes in my account explaining that I wasn't supposed to be charged any cancellation fees. He constantly told me he couldn’t do anything about the charges until I demanded to speak to his supervisor. He placed me on hold then was suddenly able to reverse the fees and expedite the refund time from 30 days to 5-7 days. I called back 8 days later since I had yet to receive a refund and the manager I spoke to said the refund was processed then reversed and cancelled by DTV WITHOUT CALLING ME!!! He sounded perplexed and horrified and he even stated that DTV was wrong for promising a refund and then reneging on their promise...yet again. I then called my bank and disputed the charges and miraculously DTV was able to process the refund for the cancellation fees. However they only processed a partial refund and still owe me for the proration of the remaining month of service I didn’t use....and additional $100 dollars.

All in all the $29.99 monthly service package advertised by DTV was terrible TV service, terrible customer service, inexplicable charges and somehow cost me $500 for 2 weeks with DTV.

join:2012-06-11

MANY subscribers have the same experience with DIRECTV!

I hear you.

My experience was not as bad as your but close.

From the HORRIBLE installation, to poor picture quality, rude and unhelpful customer service reps, and picture loss with any kind of rain or storm even though my line of sight signal was 95% .

The final straw was when after fulfilling my 2 year contract I called to cancel. The call was transferred to "retention" I was put on the line with the most obnoxious, rude, and belligerent individual I have EVER dealt with at any company in my entire life!
Upon my saying cancel several times politely, this "man" badgered me about what it would take to get me to stay with them, I told him that 25$/mo with my same channel package and no contract would be the ONLY way I would stay with them. Well instead of just saying they couldn't do this he kept putting me on hold, and finally comes back with an offer that didn't even come close. I told this man again cancel please. Still refused to simply do what I asked, then he basically yelled and threatened me with saying they would find all the PPV movies I had ordered because my box wasn't connected to the phone line!!!!LOL I told him that they would find that only ONE PPV was on that box and it had been noted in my account that I was ordered by accident and the cost removed, finally after over 30 minutes he cancelled my account.

I was so disgusted with the behavior of this idiot CSR that I wrote a
snail mail to the then CEO of DirecTV, Mike White, detailing the HORRID experience, and sent it return receipt requested to their executive offices. After two weeks I finally had the signed receipt that they had received my letter, BUT NOT ONE WORD MORE FOLLOWED from their offices!

DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO DIRECTV. WORST SERVICE EVER!!!!

LinRenHan

@army.mil

Stole my money!!!

I had the same experience. I did cancel early, but I paid $170 when the statement came in for that specific reason. Then my balance was $0. That same week, as instructed, I mailed off the 2 DVR units I had. According to their own records they received them, ON TIME, a few days later. However ELEVEN days after receiving the boxes, $378.44 was charged to my checking account! I called, they could give me no explanation - for some reason I was being charged for the boxes, even though their records showed they had received them before the due date! They said I should see the money back in my account within 48 hours. Then I call again 2 days later, I was told 5-7 business days. On the 7th day, today, I call and they tell me they just "released" the money to my checking account today so I should see it show up in 48 hours. What the heck?! So you STEAL my money, then HOLD it for a week, then expect me to wait longer... what the heck did you steal it for anyway?! Why is it so easy to take out, but they keep it from you for a week before giving you your own money back. You want me to say thank you. Not to mention the guy on the phone today was quite rude about it, seemed annoyed that I wanted my money back. But I have checks pending and if they go through before I get my money back I have to pay NSF fees for each one! So, they cost me more that just the money they took! The guy just kept saying "sorry for the inconvenience." Thanks, pal. Because that's all this is... an inconveniece. I have bills to pay, I just had a baby a few weeks ago (added expenses just right there)... but this is just a little inconvenience.
Unhappycust

join:2012-08-22
Bernville, PA

Directv makes NO SENSE!

I had Directv installed back in March, whole home DVR and an additional unit that we rarely use. I must say the install was very professional and the charges have been correct since day 1. My problem is that, we went to use the second unit tonight to find that the LIST option did not work, you could not pause live TV if you wanted to run out of the room, nor could you record from the additional unit. After 50 minutes with customer service running me back and forth between the two units, 6 system resets on each unit, several system default resets, system tests, IP address verifications ETC I got disconnected. I called back, this time I explained the issue up to the point where I was disconnected. HERE is where it gets weird....

Turns out the whole home DVR was not working because of the Ethernet cable that they provided us with, to connect to our wireless router, to access OnDemand, when you connect this way to the internet it does not allow the whole home DVR to work. Only the main unit will function in full capacity. I was told about a wireless connector and that it was free if I ordered it online. I went online and it was $25.00 plus shipping. I called back because I thought A.) This should have been given to me on install and B.) Therefore it should be free.

Third rep comes online, cannot figure out why there is a charge but there is, then says I needed to order this within 90 days of install for it to be free and here we are five months out so there is a fee of $25. I asked for a supervisor. I spoke with them and it was explained to me that unless it was on my original statement I do not get this wireless adapter, I can order it now for $25 PLUS shipping PLUS $50 install fee and here is the kicker PLUS ANOTHER $50 because I am a 'newer' customer with less than 6 months to a year of service. WTF?! Are you kidding me?? I have a two year contract auto paid to a credit card, I don't care if I am new or not, the bills automatically paid THAT makes me an excellent customer. This makes no sense. So now we have to plug and unplug the Ethernet cable for any on demand service and Pay Per View that we want, this requires system resets and default resets over and over if we want the second unit to function as it was meant to.

Honestly, I get more and more disenchanted with corporations like this. WHAT is $25 to them when they are collecting $150.00 a month for our services for the next two years. When I worked for a Phone Company years ago we would apologize for the mistake and send out the equipment, shipping fees on us. Does anyone believe in customer service anymore? Shouldn't companies care if there customers are satisfied or not? Anyway, in a nutshell, if you order Directv, make sure you know every piece of equipment you are entitled to at no cost upon installation because once they start that billing you are screwed. Especially in that first year when you are status: Crap.