DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by kcwoman See Profile

• Location: Kansas City,Jackson,MO
Bad "HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE, LIARS & THIEVES"
Overall "WAIT FOR AT&T OR GOOGLE FIBER - NEVER DIRECTV"

I have had DirecTV since moving to Missouri from Colorado 4 years ago. I despise the inconsistency when there is bad weather, but have stuck it out as long as my billing is reasonable. For the last 6 months, my billing has been going up by $5 each month. I call them EVERY month, and the representative promises to credit the account and make my billing accurate for the following month. It NEVER happens. I have been trying to contact them online via their website contact option, which they promise to reply to within 24 hours. They ignore my emails. Google Fiber just opened an office up the street from me, and AT&T is working its way to my neighborhood. I can't WAIT to dump this company!!!!

Comments:

Direct TV is a horrible, despicable, lying company

Same problems here, unfortunately. Read through the rest of these reviews and I've experienced many of those same issues through my past year of service. Shoddy installation that destroyed my patio railing, horrible picture quality that only works half the time, solicitors calling daily trying to upsell you something, and the absolute worst customer service department you will ever encounter. I saw the DirectTV CEO on Undercover Boss; I say he needs to keep his butt in the office and fix this horrible company, make it policy to stop lying and cheating people, and apologize to the entire nation for inflicting this awful company upon the world.

mailcom

@bhn.net

Re: Direct TV is a horrible, despicable, lying company

Agree. I contacted customer service inquiring about the cost of registering for service, and the representative began by asking for all of my personal information-name, email and full social security number. After I questioned WHY my social was needed in order to gather cost information, the rep began to raise her voice and claimed she could not process the request without it. I then asked to speak to a manager. The manager claimed it WAS NOT needed, and was able to provide further details. After being on the phone for over 30 minutes, the manager then stated that I either had to join or all of my information would be deleted, hence I'd have to start from scratch with a new customer service representative. AND you still don't know if they'd be able to install the system in your home, but they are happy to gather your credit card, social security number, and sign you up for a 24 month contract. They are worse than cellular companies!
join:2012-06-11

Re: Direct TV is a horrible, despicable, lying company

Yep.

DirecTV is a HORRIBLE company.

From poor quality picture, and unreliable with the slightest rainfall, even with a strong signal and totally clear lie of sight.
To the horrible installers that DAMAGE your home.
To the even WORSE CSRs that are criminal in their behavior on the phone. I wrote the old CEO Mike White a certified, return receipt requested snail mail about the HORRID service, and even though I received the signed receipt back I NEVER HEARD ONE WORD FROM THE EXECUTIVE OFFICES about my legitimate concerns.

I cancelled and will NEVER USE DIRECTV again.

Jactuf

@qwest.net

Dump directtv

I agree, our Directtv in Iowa is very unreliable. Can't wait for contract to expire. Jactuf!

LikamyTV

@cox.net

Don't Get Direct TV

After 2 years of Direct TV They have Screwed Their Customers out of Millions of Dollars and will continue to do so I am going to contact the News try to Post as much as I can Its not Fair to the Direct TV Customers. I ended my ordeal with Direct TV and was told to Just turn in Boxes and My account would be Clear Come to find out They added Bogus Charges and now I owe which I shouldnt owe at all If your a Direct TV Custiomer I will Pray for you all. No one should have to deal with the undue stress that Direct TV causes please evaluate your Bills Carefully I know in my heart that this company is not right.

Pissed DML

@cogentco.com

Re: Don't Get Direct TV

I need your prayers. I am a current DirectTV customer and they are never forthcoming about their charges. Everything is to benefit them--not the consumer. I have been having fights with them since I ordered their service. I had just bought a new house and I originally wanted 4 boxes, but did not need them at the time. So I only ordered 2 boxes. Come to find out that since I didnt get the boxes when I ordered by services, then they would be $200 a piece to lease, and an additional $6 a month. Free NFL ticket is a joke. Had to pay for it year 2. Can't record movies you buy. I am soooo very done with them.

Review by Jaylenn See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Leaving"
Bad "Customer satisfaction, billing, customer service"
Overall "If you want your money stolen, promises broken and rude customer service sign-up...otherwise STAY AWAY!!!"
Mail,DNS,News:

The long and short of this is Direct TV has been a horrific experience. They had me sign up for auto pay then stole my money by charging me for fees that they stated I never should have been charged. They rudely continue to perpetuate the horror by not refunding money promised to me, canceling approved refund amounts, adding random charges that they reverse when I demand an explanation-which they can’t provide- and then take 30 days at a time to submit my refund for money they should never have taken. It's been 2 months and I'm still waiting on my refund! If you have money to throw away in exchange for bad customer service and bad TV service Direct TV will gladly take it off of your hands!

I signed up for Direct TV when I moved to Los Angeles. I was promised a great service, low pricing and a high customer service expectation when I first signed up. My first bill was 3 times what it was supposed to be when I signed up. I call numerous times and no one could explain why. After my 4th call the representative said she would have an "account specialist" call me back to explain the excess fees, but I never received a call. I then called three more times to try and have someone explain what was happening and no one could. When I first signed up sales person from Direct TV said that I would have 30 days to use Direct TV and if I was not completely satisfied I would be able to cancel my service without any fees. After being over charged, receiving no explanation clarifying the charges, hating the channel line up and being promised certain services that were not sent by DTV I opted to invoke my 30 day cancellation rights that were promised by the sales rep who signed me up. The person I spoke to at DTV sounded confused about what I was promised, stated that there wasn't normally a 30 period, however due to the notes on my account and DTV’s constant inability to explain what they were doing with regards to my service and billing, they would waive the early cancellation fees as long as I sent their equipment back in a timely manner. I sent everything back immediately, confirmed with DTV that the received it, however 2 weeks later I was charged an additional $400 by DTV. I called in and the person I spoke to said they were the early cancellation fees. He then began fighting with me saying that I couldn't do anything to reverse the charges. I asked him to read the notes in my account explaining that I wasn't supposed to be charged any cancellation fees. He constantly told me he couldn’t do anything about the charges until I demanded to speak to his supervisor. He placed me on hold then was suddenly able to reverse the fees and expedite the refund time from 30 days to 5-7 days. I called back 8 days later since I had yet to receive a refund and the manager I spoke to said the refund was processed then reversed and cancelled by DTV WITHOUT CALLING ME!!! He sounded perplexed and horrified and he even stated that DTV was wrong for promising a refund and then reneging on their promise...yet again. I then called my bank and disputed the charges and miraculously DTV was able to process the refund for the cancellation fees. However they only processed a partial refund and still owe me for the proration of the remaining month of service I didn’t use....and additional $100 dollars.

All in all the $29.99 monthly service package advertised by DTV was terrible TV service, terrible customer service, inexplicable charges and somehow cost me $500 for 2 weeks with DTV.

join:2012-06-11

MANY subscribers have the same experience with DIRECTV!

I hear you.

My experience was not as bad as your but close.

From the HORRIBLE installation, to poor picture quality, rude and unhelpful customer service reps, and picture loss with any kind of rain or storm even though my line of sight signal was 95% .

The final straw was when after fulfilling my 2 year contract I called to cancel. The call was transferred to "retention" I was put on the line with the most obnoxious, rude, and belligerent individual I have EVER dealt with at any company in my entire life!
Upon my saying cancel several times politely, this "man" badgered me about what it would take to get me to stay with them, I told him that 25$/mo with my same channel package and no contract would be the ONLY way I would stay with them. Well instead of just saying they couldn't do this he kept putting me on hold, and finally comes back with an offer that didn't even come close. I told this man again cancel please. Still refused to simply do what I asked, then he basically yelled and threatened me with saying they would find all the PPV movies I had ordered because my box wasn't connected to the phone line!!!!LOL I told him that they would find that only ONE PPV was on that box and it had been noted in my account that I was ordered by accident and the cost removed, finally after over 30 minutes he cancelled my account.

I was so disgusted with the behavior of this idiot CSR that I wrote a
snail mail to the then CEO of DirecTV, Mike White, detailing the HORRID experience, and sent it return receipt requested to their executive offices. After two weeks I finally had the signed receipt that they had received my letter, BUT NOT ONE WORD MORE FOLLOWED from their offices!

DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO DIRECTV. WORST SERVICE EVER!!!!

LinRenHan

@army.mil

Stole my money!!!

I had the same experience. I did cancel early, but I paid $170 when the statement came in for that specific reason. Then my balance was $0. That same week, as instructed, I mailed off the 2 DVR units I had. According to their own records they received them, ON TIME, a few days later. However ELEVEN days after receiving the boxes, $378.44 was charged to my checking account! I called, they could give me no explanation - for some reason I was being charged for the boxes, even though their records showed they had received them before the due date! They said I should see the money back in my account within 48 hours. Then I call again 2 days later, I was told 5-7 business days. On the 7th day, today, I call and they tell me they just "released" the money to my checking account today so I should see it show up in 48 hours. What the heck?! So you STEAL my money, then HOLD it for a week, then expect me to wait longer... what the heck did you steal it for anyway?! Why is it so easy to take out, but they keep it from you for a week before giving you your own money back. You want me to say thank you. Not to mention the guy on the phone today was quite rude about it, seemed annoyed that I wanted my money back. But I have checks pending and if they go through before I get my money back I have to pay NSF fees for each one! So, they cost me more that just the money they took! The guy just kept saying "sorry for the inconvenience." Thanks, pal. Because that's all this is... an inconveniece. I have bills to pay, I just had a baby a few weeks ago (added expenses just right there)... but this is just a little inconvenience.
Unhappycust

join:2012-08-22
Bernville, PA

Directv makes NO SENSE!

I had Directv installed back in March, whole home DVR and an additional unit that we rarely use. I must say the install was very professional and the charges have been correct since day 1. My problem is that, we went to use the second unit tonight to find that the LIST option did not work, you could not pause live TV if you wanted to run out of the room, nor could you record from the additional unit. After 50 minutes with customer service running me back and forth between the two units, 6 system resets on each unit, several system default resets, system tests, IP address verifications ETC I got disconnected. I called back, this time I explained the issue up to the point where I was disconnected. HERE is where it gets weird....

Turns out the whole home DVR was not working because of the Ethernet cable that they provided us with, to connect to our wireless router, to access OnDemand, when you connect this way to the internet it does not allow the whole home DVR to work. Only the main unit will function in full capacity. I was told about a wireless connector and that it was free if I ordered it online. I went online and it was $25.00 plus shipping. I called back because I thought A.) This should have been given to me on install and B.) Therefore it should be free.

Third rep comes online, cannot figure out why there is a charge but there is, then says I needed to order this within 90 days of install for it to be free and here we are five months out so there is a fee of $25. I asked for a supervisor. I spoke with them and it was explained to me that unless it was on my original statement I do not get this wireless adapter, I can order it now for $25 PLUS shipping PLUS $50 install fee and here is the kicker PLUS ANOTHER $50 because I am a 'newer' customer with less than 6 months to a year of service. WTF?! Are you kidding me?? I have a two year contract auto paid to a credit card, I don't care if I am new or not, the bills automatically paid THAT makes me an excellent customer. This makes no sense. So now we have to plug and unplug the Ethernet cable for any on demand service and Pay Per View that we want, this requires system resets and default resets over and over if we want the second unit to function as it was meant to.

Honestly, I get more and more disenchanted with corporations like this. WHAT is $25 to them when they are collecting $150.00 a month for our services for the next two years. When I worked for a Phone Company years ago we would apologize for the mistake and send out the equipment, shipping fees on us. Does anyone believe in customer service anymore? Shouldn't companies care if there customers are satisfied or not? Anyway, in a nutshell, if you order Directv, make sure you know every piece of equipment you are entitled to at no cost upon installation because once they start that billing you are screwed. Especially in that first year when you are status: Crap.

Review by northalabama See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
Good "On Screen Apps, HD On-Screen Guide"
Bad "Signal Reliability Is A Joke, I Can't Watch TV In The Rain"
Overall "First Look Elsewhere If You Have Other Choices"

4/2012: left directv, see comcast review

UPDATE - Directv just rolled out a new, high resolution HD on-screen user guide that looks really nice. Good news first - searching for shows in the guide is a lot faster, and the picture quality of the guide is great with the increased resolution. They have also added movie ratings from rotten tomatoes and flixster, and rearranged their menu to use icons instead of list based choices.

The bad news, when I try to pull up my playlist on my dvr's, it takes forever for the screen to load, a good 15-20 seconds after i hit the list button on the remote. That doesn't sound like a long time, but if your sitting there, waiting for the list, it seems like an eternity. I hope they get that fixed soon.

Also, just when I thought Directv on-demand couldn't get any slower, it now takes me 3-4 hours to download one HD movie. Doesn't on-demand mean right now, not ask and get it in a few hours?

I still can't wait for U-verse to come to town so I can give their service a try. I might even consider going back to Comcast if U-verse doesn't get here soon, or if Directv's service doesn't improve.

UPDATE - The on-demand selection is slim, and I have to use my own broadband connection, which is going to get interesting with caps and overage fees from at&t. Sometimes it takes 2-3 hours to download 1 HD movie.

I called customer service, and the rep didn't really know how to help. She said she didn't have high speed internet at home and had never used Directv, and that there wasn't much information given to her to help with on-demand.

In the past, Directv has rolled out software updates to my dvr that have shut down my service in the home, at least twice. Don't they test these things before sending them out to customers?

10/2009 - Pre sales info and installation was a breeze, but the tech through trash all over the yard and in the home, and i had to clean it up later. I lose service every time it rains, and sometimes when it's cloudy.

The only reason I put up with Directv is the only other alternative is Comcast.

I cant wait for U-verse to come to town.

Comments:

Review by hans.gurjeet

• Location: Ocoee,Orange,FL
Good "HD quality"
Bad "They like to charge for extra things even when you do not order them"
Overall "Horrible company that does not like to issue refunds"

I thought I was getting a better deal by switching from Dish Network to
Direct TV but I soon found out that Direct TV likes to tack on other
charges even when they are supposed to be free. I soon ended up having to
email their corporate headquarters and threaten to cancel my service. After
that it the service was ok and then they did the same thing again and
charged me for the same service that was supposed to be free. I had
to explain to the billing rep that I am not supposed to be charged for the
HD access and forward her a copy of the email for their corporate. I then
called and made sure that I will not be charged for the 2012 NFL Sunday
package since I am a soccer fan and not a big football fan. The other day I
get a bill and I was charged for the NFL Sunday package early renewal as
well as the HD access both things I was not supposed to be charged for. I
called the billing department and told them I want a refund back on my
credit card and I was told I am only allowed to get a credit. If you decide
to go with direct tv look at your bill every month they like to tack on
extra charges

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

• Location: Chipley,Washington,FL
Good "overpriced hidden cost"
Bad "high price movies 1 dollars red box hulu netflix 8 dollars watch what you want when you want"
Overall "you might watch 10 channel but you have to buy a hundred to get the ten you want free tv online uk tv"

SAVE YOUR MONEY- TV IS FREE ONLINE- 8 DOLLARS WITH NETFLIX-READ THE FINE
PRINT- DONT SIGN YOU BE SORRY- HIDDEN CHARGES- DONT SIGN AWAY ALL YOUR
RIGHTS

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Horrible

@qwest.net

I'd rather pay more with Comcast than waste time w/ DirectTV

It took DirectTV 3 scheduled times to not show up and NOT install our pre-paid satellite dish and we finally just ended up canceling because we wasted a total of 14 hours waiting for DirectTV to install our new cable system, only to not show up. i'd rather pay more money and have a cable company who actually respects my time, than pay less for a company who doesn't respect me as a customer.

Average Joe

@myvzw.com

Be careful what you ask for

We had many years of excellent service from Direct TV. This was all completely ruined in one horrible afternoon. I called six times waiting on hold for 20 minutes each time to cancel my service. I started by asking the automatic call system to cancel - 20 minutes of hold. I then called the change service line which was answered immediately by a live person and was put on hold repeatedly. I finally called the move line and found someone who could cancel our service. This all took 1 1/2 hours. Never again. Never. This level of manipulation is quite simply wrong. Be very careful what you ask for.

Review by UHF See Profile

• Location: Independence,Buchanan,IA
Good "Cheaper than Dish for first 24 months"
Bad "Lost signal, lots of misinformation at sign up"
Overall "Dish Network was much better for me"

·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
I was with DishNetwork for 13 years and loved it, but the prices kept creeping up. Received a flier in the mail for DirecTV at a very significant savings for 24 months, so signed up.

Told them I wanted IDENTICAL features to what I had with Dish. Namely, Two Dual Tuner HD DVRs that can record OTA channels, and two regular HD receivers. What I actually got was 3 HD boxes, and one dual tuner "whole house" DVR. When they say "whole house DVR" all they really mean is you can play back a (ONE) show on any TV in the house. Want to watch two recorded shows at the same time? Too bad, can't be done. It also doesn't record OTA channels without paying to "upgrade" to the AM21 module. That module lets you get SOME over the air channels, but not all. DirecTV decides what you can and cannot watch over the air, regardless of what signals are available.

Install was a nightmare. A 17 day nightmare, in fact. That's correct, it took SEVENTEEN DAYS for the tech to finish the install from the time he started. Also, he arrived outside of the install window I was given, he was nearly 2 hours late. He worked until midnight the first night. Seventeen days and lots of calls later he came back to finish.

I lose signal every time it rains. Often for 30 minutes or more. With Dish Network I would lose signal during only extremely heavy rain, and usually only for a few minutes. Calls to DirecTV to get this fixed result in a tech coming to the house and saying I had the strongest signal he's ever seen and the first guy that was there trained him, so there's no way he'll be able to make it better. "Besides, your coax is too long and the frequency isn't strong enough to push through it when it gets wet". Whatever, buddy... Either I have the strongest signal you've ever seen, or my coax is too long, make up your mind.

Update: I bought a DVR on ebay, and I called with the receiver number to verify it could be activated on my account before purchasing it. The CSR said, "It should work just fine". The same day it arrived I got an email from the seller apologizing for unknowingly selling me bad receivers. I was confused, since I had already verified that I could activate mine. So I called for activation and was told that I can't activate a "leased" receiver that I purchased on ebay as it was now considered "stolen property". What?

A call to the executive resolution department to straighten out the matter didn't help. I was once again told the box was "stolen". I told them I had already been told it could be used. They actually reviewed the tape recording of the call and pointed out that I was not told that it would work, only that it "should" work. They were so sorry for my misunderstanding. Oddly, they never asked for the receiver to be returned, so I still have it, even though it's a doorstop at this point. They did however offer to let me lease another DVR for half the up front price normally charged and would not require an extension of my original agreement. I declined.

After a year on DirecTV I'm considering paying the early termination fee and cancelling. I just don't care for the service compared to Dish Network. It doesn't help that I switched to save money and my bill is now higher than it was with Dish. I don't understand why.

Comments:

Review by revmichaeld See Profile

• Location: Gwynn Oak,Baltimore,MD
Good "I have had Directv for over 1 year and I couldn't be more satisfied!"
Bad "Regular rate increases."
Overall "It sure beats paying Comcast every month plus I get 1080p on demand though DTV"

Well, I have had the service for over a year now (Installed December 2010) and I have not had many major issues. I can only recall losing TV service fore 5 minutes over the summer last year but I regularly maintain solid signal strength in the 94-98 percent range on most transponders thus I don't deal with rain fade as much as someone who has signal strength in the 80 percent or lower range.

The online features of the system are nice and I love the whole home DVR system. I wish I had the 5 tuner system that Direct TV just released this year. Picture quality has been excellent as is sound quality. Most programming I watch is now broadcast in HDTV and I am able to view on my HDTV along with the Dolby Digital Surround. When there is not Dolby Digital track than Dolby Prologic II does a nice job of giving me surround as well.

Directv offers alot of programming choices and I enjoy accessing and seeing whats on with the New HD guide. I find Direct TV to surpass Comcast when it comes to PQ and features of its settop boxes. Direct seems to offer products closer to what FIOS would or is offering. (FIOS is not available in Baltimore City)

Well, that's Directv for ya.

member for 14.4 years, 1654 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

• Location: Blue Eye,Stone,MO
Good "Good service, sports channel"
Bad "Billing nightmare! If they have your credit card, they will draw off it when they want to."

Direct TV is the most unethical company I have ever had. They literally
stole $1000 from our account. When we cancelled before the contract
date, due to unforeseen financial difficulties, we were sent a $971.16
bill ($136 past due balance, $15 disconnect fee, $795 misc fees), and
they drafted it out of our account prior to our receiving it.

They had a notice at the bottom of the bill that stated, "For
your convenience, in about 15 days from the Statement Date printed near
the top of this page, any total outstanding account balance will be
automatically charged to the credit/debit card we have on file for your
account." When we can't afford the $136 a month because
we are trying to feed our 4 young children, why would they
think they could draft $1000 from our account (via pre-authorized
transaction) and call it fair collection practices! What a bunch of
cheats!!!!

Katie

(review was emailed from domain coloradosos.com)

Comments:

Review by kiknwing See Profile

• Location: Roy,Weber,UT
Good "Great to Existing and New Customers"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Can't go wrong with directv"

Update 11/28/2011

I have had the new HD GUI for a few months now and it is fantastic. I never thought that my HR22-100 could be so fast. It's not as fast as the HR24-500 but it is a huge improvement.

I upgraded to a SWM setup in June and activated Whole Home DVR service. That was the best $40 I have ever spent (I installed the swm equipment myself). The Whole Home service is great, it allows for playback of saved content on a dvr on any hd or hd dvr receiver. It does not turn your hd receiver into a dvr, if you want dvr capabilities get a dvr. I also added a H24 to the family and it is a great receiver.

Original Review

I have never had a better customer service experience with a company. The service ans install techs are very friendly and skilled. Only have had one billing problem but that was taken care of in minutes. If you get the chance, make sure you get a HR24 for your DVR. This is Directv's newest and fastest dvr to date. I have a HR22 & HR24 and the HR24 blows the doors off the HR22. As far as rain fade, it only goes out one or two times a year. Snow is not a problem if you fill a squirt gun with hot water. I think that I will be a customer for at least another 12 years.

Comments:

Review by MacThrasher See Profile

• Location: Chagrin Falls,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "HD, tons of channels, great reliability, good installation"
Bad "Delays in installation, momentary lapse when changing channels"
Overall "So much better then TWC, I am VERY happy"

Update 11-17-11: Still very happy with their service.

Got sick of Time Warner. Thankfully I do not have them for internet access.
I had the "optimum" step up from basic cable. It went up by $15 and we lost 15 channels. I decided to start looking. AT&T wanted to offer Dish, but I decided... no. I want DirecTV.

Installed something like 3/28/08 after three delays by BlueGrass. Fine. They at least sent out a great install tech, Anthony. Some of the remotes had to be tweaked, but 2 reg def and two HD receivers were installed in about 3-4 hours.

For about 90 bucks? 185 channels? most in HD?
OK. One little complaint.
All HD channels appear first usually then the lo-res standard after, except for Fox Sports Ohio and Sports Time Ohio... they appear AFTER the lo-res version ... FSN is 657_1 rather then giving me the HD first.

Other than that. I give them a B+