DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by northalabama See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,Madison,AL
Good "On Screen Apps, HD On-Screen Guide"
Bad "Signal Reliability Is A Joke, I Can't Watch TV In The Rain"
Overall "First Look Elsewhere If You Have Other Choices"

4/2012: left directv, see comcast review

UPDATE - Directv just rolled out a new, high resolution HD on-screen user guide that looks really nice. Good news first - searching for shows in the guide is a lot faster, and the picture quality of the guide is great with the increased resolution. They have also added movie ratings from rotten tomatoes and flixster, and rearranged their menu to use icons instead of list based choices.

The bad news, when I try to pull up my playlist on my dvr's, it takes forever for the screen to load, a good 15-20 seconds after i hit the list button on the remote. That doesn't sound like a long time, but if your sitting there, waiting for the list, it seems like an eternity. I hope they get that fixed soon.

Also, just when I thought Directv on-demand couldn't get any slower, it now takes me 3-4 hours to download one HD movie. Doesn't on-demand mean right now, not ask and get it in a few hours?

I still can't wait for U-verse to come to town so I can give their service a try. I might even consider going back to Comcast if U-verse doesn't get here soon, or if Directv's service doesn't improve.

UPDATE - The on-demand selection is slim, and I have to use my own broadband connection, which is going to get interesting with caps and overage fees from at&t. Sometimes it takes 2-3 hours to download 1 HD movie.

I called customer service, and the rep didn't really know how to help. She said she didn't have high speed internet at home and had never used Directv, and that there wasn't much information given to her to help with on-demand.

In the past, Directv has rolled out software updates to my dvr that have shut down my service in the home, at least twice. Don't they test these things before sending them out to customers?

10/2009 - Pre sales info and installation was a breeze, but the tech through trash all over the yard and in the home, and i had to clean it up later. I lose service every time it rains, and sometimes when it's cloudy.

The only reason I put up with Directv is the only other alternative is Comcast.

I cant wait for U-verse to come to town.

Comments:

pisd off

@bresnan.net

Direct TV, customer service, residential service, 2 year con

I recently (3 days ago) signed up for Direct TV having been sickened to the point of vomiting by the cable networks, I chose to go with the sattelite people. Now, two days before the Super Bowl, I learn that I'm not going to be able to see the game on Sunday due to the pissing contest between cable, and local sydicated stations-or what the hell ever. The point is that I can't host the party that I planned and Direct TV can't help me/won't help me. So, if you have another way of getting your TV needs met, I sure as hell would NOT consider Direct TV.

northalabama

join:2001-06-18
Huntsville, AL

Re: Direct TV, customer service, residential service, 2 year con

i just saw your post, and i'm curious...were you able to watch the game last sunday? most times directv will provide a national access channel for major events, like the superbowl, when there's no access through local channel service providers.
The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
catbrat90

join:2007-08-10
Cincinnati, OH

Rain Fade

Your DirecTV Service should not go out durring a normal shower if it continues I would call DirecTV to have them send out a Tech to check the alignment of your satellite Dish.

northalabama

join:2001-06-18
Huntsville, AL

Re: Rain Fade

there's a line of sight issue, and unfortunately, a dish alignment won't help. it'll take trimming some trees, or relocating the dish, and neither option is favorable. so far i have no issues with any HD channels, but rain especially, and sometimes wind, are factors. i'll have to make a decision eventually if the signal degrades further.

Review by hans.gurjeet

• Location: Ocoee,Orange,FL
Good "HD quality"
Bad "They like to charge for extra things even when you do not order them"
Overall "Horrible company that does not like to issue refunds"

I thought I was getting a better deal by switching from Dish Network to
Direct TV but I soon found out that Direct TV likes to tack on other
charges even when they are supposed to be free. I soon ended up having to
email their corporate headquarters and threaten to cancel my service. After
that it the service was ok and then they did the same thing again and
charged me for the same service that was supposed to be free. I had
to explain to the billing rep that I am not supposed to be charged for the
HD access and forward her a copy of the email for their corporate. I then
called and made sure that I will not be charged for the 2012 NFL Sunday
package since I am a soccer fan and not a big football fan. The other day I
get a bill and I was charged for the NFL Sunday package early renewal as
well as the HD access both things I was not supposed to be charged for. I
called the billing department and told them I want a refund back on my
credit card and I was told I am only allowed to get a credit. If you decide
to go with direct tv look at your bill every month they like to tack on
extra charges

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

• Location: Chipley,Washington,FL
Good "overpriced hidden cost"
Bad "high price movies 1 dollars red box hulu netflix 8 dollars watch what you want when you want"
Overall "you might watch 10 channel but you have to buy a hundred to get the ten you want free tv online uk tv"

SAVE YOUR MONEY- TV IS FREE ONLINE- 8 DOLLARS WITH NETFLIX-READ THE FINE
PRINT- DONT SIGN YOU BE SORRY- HIDDEN CHARGES- DONT SIGN AWAY ALL YOUR
RIGHTS

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Horrible

@qwest.net

I'd rather pay more with Comcast than waste time w/ DirectTV

It took DirectTV 3 scheduled times to not show up and NOT install our pre-paid satellite dish and we finally just ended up canceling because we wasted a total of 14 hours waiting for DirectTV to install our new cable system, only to not show up. i'd rather pay more money and have a cable company who actually respects my time, than pay less for a company who doesn't respect me as a customer.

Average Joe

@myvzw.com

Be careful what you ask for

We had many years of excellent service from Direct TV. This was all completely ruined in one horrible afternoon. I called six times waiting on hold for 20 minutes each time to cancel my service. I started by asking the automatic call system to cancel - 20 minutes of hold. I then called the change service line which was answered immediately by a live person and was put on hold repeatedly. I finally called the move line and found someone who could cancel our service. This all took 1 1/2 hours. Never again. Never. This level of manipulation is quite simply wrong. Be very careful what you ask for.

Review by UHF See Profile

• Location: Independence,Buchanan,IA
Good "Cheaper than Dish for first 24 months"
Bad "Lost signal, lots of misinformation at sign up"
Overall "Dish Network was much better for me"

·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
I was with DishNetwork for 13 years and loved it, but the prices kept creeping up. Received a flier in the mail for DirecTV at a very significant savings for 24 months, so signed up.

Told them I wanted IDENTICAL features to what I had with Dish. Namely, Two Dual Tuner HD DVRs that can record OTA channels, and two regular HD receivers. What I actually got was 3 HD boxes, and one dual tuner "whole house" DVR. When they say "whole house DVR" all they really mean is you can play back a (ONE) show on any TV in the house. Want to watch two recorded shows at the same time? Too bad, can't be done. It also doesn't record OTA channels without paying to "upgrade" to the AM21 module. That module lets you get SOME over the air channels, but not all. DirecTV decides what you can and cannot watch over the air, regardless of what signals are available.

Install was a nightmare. A 17 day nightmare, in fact. That's correct, it took SEVENTEEN DAYS for the tech to finish the install from the time he started. Also, he arrived outside of the install window I was given, he was nearly 2 hours late. He worked until midnight the first night. Seventeen days and lots of calls later he came back to finish.

I lose signal every time it rains. Often for 30 minutes or more. With Dish Network I would lose signal during only extremely heavy rain, and usually only for a few minutes. Calls to DirecTV to get this fixed result in a tech coming to the house and saying I had the strongest signal he's ever seen and the first guy that was there trained him, so there's no way he'll be able to make it better. "Besides, your coax is too long and the frequency isn't strong enough to push through it when it gets wet". Whatever, buddy... Either I have the strongest signal you've ever seen, or my coax is too long, make up your mind.

Update: I bought a DVR on ebay, and I called with the receiver number to verify it could be activated on my account before purchasing it. The CSR said, "It should work just fine". The same day it arrived I got an email from the seller apologizing for unknowingly selling me bad receivers. I was confused, since I had already verified that I could activate mine. So I called for activation and was told that I can't activate a "leased" receiver that I purchased on ebay as it was now considered "stolen property". What?

A call to the executive resolution department to straighten out the matter didn't help. I was once again told the box was "stolen". I told them I had already been told it could be used. They actually reviewed the tape recording of the call and pointed out that I was not told that it would work, only that it "should" work. They were so sorry for my misunderstanding. Oddly, they never asked for the receiver to be returned, so I still have it, even though it's a doorstop at this point. They did however offer to let me lease another DVR for half the up front price normally charged and would not require an extension of my original agreement. I declined.

After a year on DirecTV I'm considering paying the early termination fee and cancelling. I just don't care for the service compared to Dish Network. It doesn't help that I switched to save money and my bill is now higher than it was with Dish. I don't understand why.

member for 12.3 years, 5281 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by revmichaeld See Profile

• Location: Gwynn Oak,Baltimore,MD
Good "I have had Directv for over 1 year and I couldn't be more satisfied!"
Bad "Regular rate increases."
Overall "It sure beats paying Comcast every month plus I get 1080p on demand though DTV"

Well, I have had the service for over a year now (Installed December 2010) and I have not had many major issues. I can only recall losing TV service fore 5 minutes over the summer last year but I regularly maintain solid signal strength in the 94-98 percent range on most transponders thus I don't deal with rain fade as much as someone who has signal strength in the 80 percent or lower range.

The online features of the system are nice and I love the whole home DVR system. I wish I had the 5 tuner system that Direct TV just released this year. Picture quality has been excellent as is sound quality. Most programming I watch is now broadcast in HDTV and I am able to view on my HDTV along with the Dolby Digital Surround. When there is not Dolby Digital track than Dolby Prologic II does a nice job of giving me surround as well.

Directv offers alot of programming choices and I enjoy accessing and seeing whats on with the New HD guide. I find Direct TV to surpass Comcast when it comes to PQ and features of its settop boxes. Direct seems to offer products closer to what FIOS would or is offering. (FIOS is not available in Baltimore City)

Well, that's Directv for ya.

member for 14.2 years, 1654 visits, last login: 347 days ago

Comments:

cloo

@myvzw.com

losing channels

Well its been good for a while I guess if you can call charging 1.50 extra for not having telephone line.We'll see how long you all like it when your bill keeps going up. Mine has went up 30.00 since I started with them. Thing about it I have not changed anything.How many of you are in the same boat.How much more can they go up for the same service.Sounds like time to change. You have all these channels that aren't worth having.Why are you taking channels off now you want more money for getting it. YES.

• Location: Blue Eye,Stone,MO
Good "Good service, sports channel"
Bad "Billing nightmare! If they have your credit card, they will draw off it when they want to."

Direct TV is the most unethical company I have ever had. They literally
stole $1000 from our account. When we cancelled before the contract
date, due to unforeseen financial difficulties, we were sent a $971.16
bill ($136 past due balance, $15 disconnect fee, $795 misc fees), and
they drafted it out of our account prior to our receiving it.

They had a notice at the bottom of the bill that stated, "For
your convenience, in about 15 days from the Statement Date printed near
the top of this page, any total outstanding account balance will be
automatically charged to the credit/debit card we have on file for your
account." When we can't afford the $136 a month because
we are trying to feed our 4 young children, why would they
think they could draft $1000 from our account (via pre-authorized
transaction) and call it fair collection practices! What a bunch of
cheats!!!!

Katie

(review was emailed from domain coloradosos.com)

Comments:

Review by kiknwing See Profile

• Location: Roy,Weber,UT
Good "Great to Existing and New Customers"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Can't go wrong with directv"

Update 11/28/2011

I have had the new HD GUI for a few months now and it is fantastic. I never thought that my HR22-100 could be so fast. It's not as fast as the HR24-500 but it is a huge improvement.

I upgraded to a SWM setup in June and activated Whole Home DVR service. That was the best $40 I have ever spent (I installed the swm equipment myself). The Whole Home service is great, it allows for playback of saved content on a dvr on any hd or hd dvr receiver. It does not turn your hd receiver into a dvr, if you want dvr capabilities get a dvr. I also added a H24 to the family and it is a great receiver.

Original Review

I have never had a better customer service experience with a company. The service ans install techs are very friendly and skilled. Only have had one billing problem but that was taken care of in minutes. If you get the chance, make sure you get a HR24 for your DVR. This is Directv's newest and fastest dvr to date. I have a HR22 & HR24 and the HR24 blows the doors off the HR22. As far as rain fade, it only goes out one or two times a year. Snow is not a problem if you fill a squirt gun with hot water. I think that I will be a customer for at least another 12 years.

Comments:

Review by MacThrasher See Profile

• Location: Chagrin Falls,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "HD, tons of channels, great reliability, good installation"
Bad "Delays in installation, momentary lapse when changing channels"
Overall "So much better then TWC, I am VERY happy"

Update 11-17-11: Still very happy with their service.

Got sick of Time Warner. Thankfully I do not have them for internet access.
I had the "optimum" step up from basic cable. It went up by $15 and we lost 15 channels. I decided to start looking. AT&T wanted to offer Dish, but I decided... no. I want DirecTV.

Installed something like 3/28/08 after three delays by BlueGrass. Fine. They at least sent out a great install tech, Anthony. Some of the remotes had to be tweaked, but 2 reg def and two HD receivers were installed in about 3-4 hours.

For about 90 bucks? 185 channels? most in HD?
OK. One little complaint.
All HD channels appear first usually then the lo-res standard after, except for Fox Sports Ohio and Sports Time Ohio... they appear AFTER the lo-res version ... FSN is 657_1 rather then giving me the HD first.

Other than that. I give them a B+

Comments:

Review by aztr0 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "When it works."
Bad "When it doesn't work due to weather AND when not due to weather."
Overall "They want your money, they don't care about customer satisfaction."
Mail,DNS,News:

I signed up for the Choice Package with 150 Channels, the regional sports package and also the Chinese package. I had 3 regular receivers and 1 HD receiver. I remember I had to pay for my HD receiver a couple years back even though the promotion stated free HD receiver. When I called them about why they charged me, they didn't give me a good answer, and pretty much said deal with it, because you have already paid and we can't refund you. Okay, call me stupid I guess, I got tricked. After a while, I would say a year into it, I would start losing signals on a perfectly good day/night. During the basketball season, MSG was not working, and after a while, the signal lost became very frequent. I finally gave DirecTV a call and told them the issue. Before the representative did anything, he told me that I was going to be charged the tech service fee of $49.95, but since I was a long time customer they will waive it. And how I should get the insurance. I said no, because if your service requires that I have to constantly call you to fix, then your company has a big problem.

The tech came and immediately knows the problem. He told me, that this thing in the satellite or the satellite itself will do this as time passes. So I'll have to get tech service again when it happens in another year. At this point I was mad, because of what he told me. But since the service was fixed for now, I didn't want to bother with DirecTV's customer service for a while. In comes, the next year, my receivers for my other rooms were old, and the remotes were not operational. I gave DirecTV a call, and asked them politely and nicely, whether the company can do anything about upgrading my receivers and/or replace my remotes. The rep tells me, unfortunately, they cannot do that. I will have to pay the price (I forgot how much) to replace them myself. I will note this, the rep did not give me any credit option to help me pay for some of the money, "because I was a valuable, long time customer." I kept my composure and told the rep I was going to have to think about whether I want to stay with the service any longer and hung up.

A couple months after, the losing signal on a good day/night issue occurred again, and I called for service. The rep told me they can't waive the fee, and the best they can do is take off $25 of the fee (this was after 2 calls, the first rep told me no fee waive at all, not even the $25). So I said okay, come and fix it. The tech came and fixed the thing. Then a couple months after, I noticed the problem is coming back again and I'm fuming, because I knew what the answers I was going to get from the customer service and I told them, it hasn't even been a year since the last service, you're going to charge me for having another tech to come over, when it obviously is your service issue? I ended that conversation and started to look for alternatives. In comes a mailing from Optimum about the triple play costing $69.95 a year. Since I already had Optimum, I knew what kind of customer service I was going to have. So I made the call to cancel DirecTV.

It was quite a funny call, I told them I was leaving the service. The rep asked why, I told the rep about all these issues that I had, and the fact that my remotes and receivers are all old and just not working properly due to age/use. The rep tells me that, DirecTV will be able to offer me credit up to $175 dollars for equipment replacement or something like that. So I was like WTF? I was told DirecTV can't do anything about crediting my equipment and I'll have to pay full amount from my pocket. Anyways, I was sick of this company by now. I was a loyal customer for many years and this is how they treat me. I'm sure people will ask, why I didn't leave earlier. I was hamstrung by my parents, since they like to watch the Chinese package that only DirecTV offered. It has gotten to that point where I just don't want to deal with DirecTV anymore and if my parents can't watch what they want, then tough luck, they'll have to settle with the Chinese channels from Optimum, since the triple play order has been placed.

member for 6.8 years, 612 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tristar2 See Profile

• Location: Alpharetta,Fulton,GA
Good "Great Hi-Definition and 3D content!"
Bad "Loss of signal during moderate rain"
Overall "If you don't mind the occasional loss of signal during some rain or snow events, the content and price are a winner!"
Mail,DNS,News:

The 1080P and 3D content is great. The worst thing about the service is the loss of signal during some rain and snow events.

We have 8 televisions in our home so DirecTV was a cost effective service initially. We grew tired of signal loss so after 3 years we switched to another service provider..