DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by revmichaeld See Profile

• Location: Gwynn Oak,Baltimore,MD
Good "I have had Directv for over 1 year and I couldn't be more satisfied!"
Bad "Regular rate increases."
Overall "It sure beats paying Comcast every month plus I get 1080p on demand though DTV"

Well, I have had the service for over a year now (Installed December 2010) and I have not had many major issues. I can only recall losing TV service fore 5 minutes over the summer last year but I regularly maintain solid signal strength in the 94-98 percent range on most transponders thus I don't deal with rain fade as much as someone who has signal strength in the 80 percent or lower range.

The online features of the system are nice and I love the whole home DVR system. I wish I had the 5 tuner system that Direct TV just released this year. Picture quality has been excellent as is sound quality. Most programming I watch is now broadcast in HDTV and I am able to view on my HDTV along with the Dolby Digital Surround. When there is not Dolby Digital track than Dolby Prologic II does a nice job of giving me surround as well.

Directv offers alot of programming choices and I enjoy accessing and seeing whats on with the New HD guide. I find Direct TV to surpass Comcast when it comes to PQ and features of its settop boxes. Direct seems to offer products closer to what FIOS would or is offering. (FIOS is not available in Baltimore City)

Well, that's Directv for ya.

member for 13.8 years, 1654 visits, last login: 195 days ago

Comments:

cloo

@myvzw.com

losing channels

Well its been good for a while I guess if you can call charging 1.50 extra for not having telephone line.We'll see how long you all like it when your bill keeps going up. Mine has went up 30.00 since I started with them. Thing about it I have not changed anything.How many of you are in the same boat.How much more can they go up for the same service.Sounds like time to change. You have all these channels that aren't worth having.Why are you taking channels off now you want more money for getting it. YES.

• Location: Blue Eye,Stone,MO
Good "Good service, sports channel"
Bad "Billing nightmare! If they have your credit card, they will draw off it when they want to."

Direct TV is the most unethical company I have ever had. They literally
stole $1000 from our account. When we cancelled before the contract
date, due to unforeseen financial difficulties, we were sent a $971.16
bill ($136 past due balance, $15 disconnect fee, $795 misc fees), and
they drafted it out of our account prior to our receiving it.

They had a notice at the bottom of the bill that stated, "For
your convenience, in about 15 days from the Statement Date printed near
the top of this page, any total outstanding account balance will be
automatically charged to the credit/debit card we have on file for your
account." When we can't afford the $136 a month because
we are trying to feed our 4 young children, why would they
think they could draft $1000 from our account (via pre-authorized
transaction) and call it fair collection practices! What a bunch of
cheats!!!!

Katie

(review was emailed from domain coloradosos.com)

Comments:

samiam1

@evertek.net

Direct TV are CROOKS!

They did not stand behind their service and we were told that we had 30 days to decide whether we wanted to keep their service and were told multiple times on the phone that if the service was not working properly we could opt out of our contract. We never did get satisfaction with the service (and might I add that everything about Direct was awful.) and they charged our card $575+ today even though we sent back all of the equipment and never did get it to work properly. HATE Direct Tv

Review by kiknwing See Profile

• Location: Roy,Weber,UT
Good "Great to Existing and New Customers"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Can't go wrong with directv"

Update 11/28/2011

I have had the new HD GUI for a few months now and it is fantastic. I never thought that my HR22-100 could be so fast. It's not as fast as the HR24-500 but it is a huge improvement.

I upgraded to a SWM setup in June and activated Whole Home DVR service. That was the best $40 I have ever spent (I installed the swm equipment myself). The Whole Home service is great, it allows for playback of saved content on a dvr on any hd or hd dvr receiver. It does not turn your hd receiver into a dvr, if you want dvr capabilities get a dvr. I also added a H24 to the family and it is a great receiver.

Original Review

I have never had a better customer service experience with a company. The service ans install techs are very friendly and skilled. Only have had one billing problem but that was taken care of in minutes. If you get the chance, make sure you get a HR24 for your DVR. This is Directv's newest and fastest dvr to date. I have a HR22 & HR24 and the HR24 blows the doors off the HR22. As far as rain fade, it only goes out one or two times a year. Snow is not a problem if you fill a squirt gun with hot water. I think that I will be a customer for at least another 12 years.

Comments:

jenner7

@24.49.166.x

Horrible company

I have never dealt with such horrible customer service in my life!!! I have both NFL Sunday ticket and NHL center Ice through this provider, since the military brought me to a base far from home and I wanted to be able to still watch my teams, and what they don't tell you is that you will be paying a cap load of money for programs and won't necessarily be able to watch the games you want. I am a huge sports fan and was promised that I would get all of the games with these packages, and was completely lied to. When I called to ask why these games were being blacked out, they couldn't give me a reason, they had no clue, but they would also not do anything for me, and told me I could terminate my service and pay the early cancellation fee if I did that. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER! Glad I can fight for your freedom so you can be such an A hole!!

Review by MacThrasher See Profile

• Location: Chagrin Falls,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "HD, tons of channels, great reliability, good installation"
Bad "Delays in installation, momentary lapse when changing channels"
Overall "So much better then TWC, I am VERY happy"

Update 11-17-11: Still very happy with their service.

Got sick of Time Warner. Thankfully I do not have them for internet access.
I had the "optimum" step up from basic cable. It went up by $15 and we lost 15 channels. I decided to start looking. AT&T wanted to offer Dish, but I decided... no. I want DirecTV.

Installed something like 3/28/08 after three delays by BlueGrass. Fine. They at least sent out a great install tech, Anthony. Some of the remotes had to be tweaked, but 2 reg def and two HD receivers were installed in about 3-4 hours.

For about 90 bucks? 185 channels? most in HD?
OK. One little complaint.
All HD channels appear first usually then the lo-res standard after, except for Fox Sports Ohio and Sports Time Ohio... they appear AFTER the lo-res version ... FSN is 657_1 rather then giving me the HD first.

Other than that. I give them a B+

Comments:

Review by aztr0 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "When it works."
Bad "When it doesn't work due to weather AND when not due to weather."
Overall "They want your money, they don't care about customer satisfaction."

·Optimum Online
I signed up for the Choice Package with 150 Channels, the regional sports package and also the Chinese package. I had 3 regular receivers and 1 HD receiver. I remember I had to pay for my HD receiver a couple years back even though the promotion stated free HD receiver. When I called them about why they charged me, they didn't give me a good answer, and pretty much said deal with it, because you have already paid and we can't refund you. Okay, call me stupid I guess, I got tricked. After a while, I would say a year into it, I would start losing signals on a perfectly good day/night. During the basketball season, MSG was not working, and after a while, the signal lost became very frequent. I finally gave DirecTV a call and told them the issue. Before the representative did anything, he told me that I was going to be charged the tech service fee of $49.95, but since I was a long time customer they will waive it. And how I should get the insurance. I said no, because if your service requires that I have to constantly call you to fix, then your company has a big problem.

The tech came and immediately knows the problem. He told me, that this thing in the satellite or the satellite itself will do this as time passes. So I'll have to get tech service again when it happens in another year. At this point I was mad, because of what he told me. But since the service was fixed for now, I didn't want to bother with DirecTV's customer service for a while. In comes, the next year, my receivers for my other rooms were old, and the remotes were not operational. I gave DirecTV a call, and asked them politely and nicely, whether the company can do anything about upgrading my receivers and/or replace my remotes. The rep tells me, unfortunately, they cannot do that. I will have to pay the price (I forgot how much) to replace them myself. I will note this, the rep did not give me any credit option to help me pay for some of the money, "because I was a valuable, long time customer." I kept my composure and told the rep I was going to have to think about whether I want to stay with the service any longer and hung up.

A couple months after, the losing signal on a good day/night issue occurred again, and I called for service. The rep told me they can't waive the fee, and the best they can do is take off $25 of the fee (this was after 2 calls, the first rep told me no fee waive at all, not even the $25). So I said okay, come and fix it. The tech came and fixed the thing. Then a couple months after, I noticed the problem is coming back again and I'm fuming, because I knew what the answers I was going to get from the customer service and I told them, it hasn't even been a year since the last service, you're going to charge me for having another tech to come over, when it obviously is your service issue? I ended that conversation and started to look for alternatives. In comes a mailing from Optimum about the triple play costing $69.95 a year. Since I already had Optimum, I knew what kind of customer service I was going to have. So I made the call to cancel DirecTV.

It was quite a funny call, I told them I was leaving the service. The rep asked why, I told the rep about all these issues that I had, and the fact that my remotes and receivers are all old and just not working properly due to age/use. The rep tells me that, DirecTV will be able to offer me credit up to $175 dollars for equipment replacement or something like that. So I was like WTF? I was told DirecTV can't do anything about crediting my equipment and I'll have to pay full amount from my pocket. Anyways, I was sick of this company by now. I was a loyal customer for many years and this is how they treat me. I'm sure people will ask, why I didn't leave earlier. I was hamstrung by my parents, since they like to watch the Chinese package that only DirecTV offered. It has gotten to that point where I just don't want to deal with DirecTV anymore and if my parents can't watch what they want, then tough luck, they'll have to settle with the Chinese channels from Optimum, since the triple play order has been placed.

Comments:

Review by tristar2 See Profile

• Location: Alpharetta,Fulton,GA
Good "Great Hi-Definition and 3D content!"
Bad "Loss of signal during moderate rain"
Overall "If you don't mind the occasional loss of signal during some rain or snow events, the content and price are a winner!"
Mail,DNS,News:

The 1080P and 3D content is great. The worst thing about the service is the loss of signal during some rain and snow events.

We have 8 televisions in our home so DirecTV was a cost effective service initially. We grew tired of signal loss so after 3 years we switched to another service provider..

Comments:
ke4pym
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..

Don't put up with it!

If you are losing signal during a moderate storm, I'd call DirecTV up and make them come out there and re-peak your ODU.

There has to be a monsoon over my house before I experience any signal loss. Or freezing rain. Freezing rain will knock it out in a heartbeat.

Review by magicrat See Profile

• Location: Freehold,Monmouth,NJ
Good "1080p (but at additional cost), 3d content"
Bad "Service, support, pretty much every interaction I've ever had with them, 1.5 inches of snow and no TV"
Overall "Proceed with caution"

I recently switched from Cablevision Optimum because I was unhappy with
channel selection (no 3d content, no NFL network, past contract problems
with major networks). I had used DirecTV in the past while living in AZ.
With the sales/gimicks/offers that DirecTV recently made available, I
finally decided to switch. Regretting my decision - experience so far has been disappointing.
They were unable to provide the equipment I ordered... dealing with a Standard DVR as a second receiver seemed to throw
a monkey wrench into the entire operation. At least a dozen calls led to
nothing but unkept promises, misinformation, and wasted time. Inconsistent information by uninformed and
incapable service reps across the board. Took over a month to finally get
what I ordered properly installed.
October 29 - the historic snowfall on the east coast. About 1.5 inches of
snow on the ground in Central Jersey, and no TV service. Seemed to come back online sometime overnight, but very worried about the next snow storm. Standard response is to go clean the satellite dish that they mounted on the top of your house.
I head from others
in NJ that DirecTV was not good, but I didn't heed the warnings. I really want to like my DirecTV service. NFL ticket is great, HD channels as well, picture quality is solid. But seems at every turn, another unhappy experience.
Proceed with caution.

Andy
in Freehold, NJ

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

The snow isn't their fault.

Why don't you quit complaining and go out and adjust the dish?

UnKown
The Underground Network

join:2002-09-08
Orlando, FL

Re: The snow isn't their fault.

while not their fault, its a critical downfall of an aging line of sight technology. it's something that needs to be expected with this type of technology, and almost all wireless technology is subject to certain interference.
tristar2

join:2002-01-04
Alpharetta, GA

DirecTV

Our household had DirecTV for about 3 years here in Alpharetta, GA. After a rough start with the (contract) installer being very unprofessional, we enjoyed our service. The variety of content was good, and the 1080p was great! After upgrading a tv to 3D plasma, DirecTV's 3D content was excellent!

Our problem was loss of signal during almost any precipitation event of slightly less than moderate and above. Anytime along the path of "line of sight" that this precipitation occurred we would experience poor or no signal. If you live in areas prone to moderate or better intensity precipitation you will unfortunately have a strong chance of signal loss. Just as the worst weather (tornadoes and severe thunderstorms here) arrives, your DirecTV leaves...

Review by RCush See Profile

• Location: Huntersville,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Best choice for Sports and to control your own system"
Bad "Be prepared to trouble shoot your own systems if something fails"
Overall "Pay the extra monthly fee for maint, they will replace anything that fails and you get to jump the queue when you call for svc."

Have used DirecTV for over 10 years. Still haven't changed to whole house but getting close. It appears I will need make sure I have two DVRs on the network on the main TVs if we want to watch recorded shows on each TV. Whole house doens't support kids watching recorded shows on all TVs at the same time. You need DVRs for each user watching a recorded show. Lame but true. So for now, still using a couple of old TiVO DVRs and the HD DirecTV DVR.

Wouldn't even think about leaving them unless I gave up sports cold turkey!

Comments:

Review by tbrown See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Lancaster,NE
Bad "Terrible!"
Mail,DNS,News:

Not only did they continue to raise there prices, they didn't even tell me they were going to until I got my bill. The connection would be interrupted if it was even sprinkling outside. Their customer service sucks. It took me 2 and 1/2 months to get a refund.

Comments:

Review by GalinMcMahon See Profile

• Location: The Dalles,Wasco,OR
Good "Good advertisements"
Bad ""Whole home" DVR, audio quality, customer service"
Overall "Dish Network was so much better"
Mail,DNS,News:

We recently switched to Directv because Dish wouldn't upgrade us to HD for free even if we signed a new contract. We got the $29 whole home DVR plus HD package which of course became the $59 package after they added all of their fees.

Initially we were displeased with the way the DVR would record. If you told it to only record first run (new) episodes of a show, it would just record all instances that the DVR hasn't seen before. Our Dish DVR didn't do that. A couple calls to tech finally got us the answer, "That shouldn't be happening." It is still happening.

Another problem with our DVR is that when you press the jump forward button, it will freeze for about 3 seconds then fast forward 30 seconds. Dish would actually jump so you'd be through 30 seconds of commercials as fast as you press the button. With DirecTV you have to actually watch all commercials albeit in fast forward.

The latest DVR problem was just noticed yesterday. We pay extra for "Whole House" DVR which is apparently a new feature they have that Dish gave us for free. But with DirecTV's version, whole house DVR is actually only 'Whole House partial DVR.' You can not pause live shows from your non-DVR receiver. You can not see what shows are scheduled to record or set the priorities on your non-DVR receiver. Yet they still call it 'Whole House' and charge extra. I spoke to a "supervisor" about this and all he could say, and I quote, is "We are not Dish Network." Well, he also said that I was stuck with my contract for another 22 months of course.

Aside from our DVR issues, we're also seeing quality issues. The HD video is just good. I'd had Dish HD a few years ago with a lower quality TV and the picture was fantastic. Also, the audio on the locals is choppy and will sometimes cut out for seconds at a time. That would be annoying with a free service but it is downright unacceptable for an expensive paid service.

Their customer service is, as can be expected, a joke. Their call center is not likely in the U.S. because I rarely get on the phone with a person I can understand. But it doesn't really matter if you can understand what they're saying because their training is so limited that you will be passed around until they find someone who is authorized to tell you that, no, "They are not Dish Network. Sorry, have a nice day."

Needless to say I will leave DirecTV as soon as my contract is up if I can't find a way out of it (i.e. false advertising...it is not "Whole" house.)