DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by aztr0 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "When it works."
Bad "When it doesn't work due to weather AND when not due to weather."
Overall "They want your money, they don't care about customer satisfaction."
Mail,DNS,News:

I signed up for the Choice Package with 150 Channels, the regional sports package and also the Chinese package. I had 3 regular receivers and 1 HD receiver. I remember I had to pay for my HD receiver a couple years back even though the promotion stated free HD receiver. When I called them about why they charged me, they didn't give me a good answer, and pretty much said deal with it, because you have already paid and we can't refund you. Okay, call me stupid I guess, I got tricked. After a while, I would say a year into it, I would start losing signals on a perfectly good day/night. During the basketball season, MSG was not working, and after a while, the signal lost became very frequent. I finally gave DirecTV a call and told them the issue. Before the representative did anything, he told me that I was going to be charged the tech service fee of $49.95, but since I was a long time customer they will waive it. And how I should get the insurance. I said no, because if your service requires that I have to constantly call you to fix, then your company has a big problem.

The tech came and immediately knows the problem. He told me, that this thing in the satellite or the satellite itself will do this as time passes. So I'll have to get tech service again when it happens in another year. At this point I was mad, because of what he told me. But since the service was fixed for now, I didn't want to bother with DirecTV's customer service for a while. In comes, the next year, my receivers for my other rooms were old, and the remotes were not operational. I gave DirecTV a call, and asked them politely and nicely, whether the company can do anything about upgrading my receivers and/or replace my remotes. The rep tells me, unfortunately, they cannot do that. I will have to pay the price (I forgot how much) to replace them myself. I will note this, the rep did not give me any credit option to help me pay for some of the money, "because I was a valuable, long time customer." I kept my composure and told the rep I was going to have to think about whether I want to stay with the service any longer and hung up.

A couple months after, the losing signal on a good day/night issue occurred again, and I called for service. The rep told me they can't waive the fee, and the best they can do is take off $25 of the fee (this was after 2 calls, the first rep told me no fee waive at all, not even the $25). So I said okay, come and fix it. The tech came and fixed the thing. Then a couple months after, I noticed the problem is coming back again and I'm fuming, because I knew what the answers I was going to get from the customer service and I told them, it hasn't even been a year since the last service, you're going to charge me for having another tech to come over, when it obviously is your service issue? I ended that conversation and started to look for alternatives. In comes a mailing from Optimum about the triple play costing $69.95 a year. Since I already had Optimum, I knew what kind of customer service I was going to have. So I made the call to cancel DirecTV.

It was quite a funny call, I told them I was leaving the service. The rep asked why, I told the rep about all these issues that I had, and the fact that my remotes and receivers are all old and just not working properly due to age/use. The rep tells me that, DirecTV will be able to offer me credit up to $175 dollars for equipment replacement or something like that. So I was like WTF? I was told DirecTV can't do anything about crediting my equipment and I'll have to pay full amount from my pocket. Anyways, I was sick of this company by now. I was a loyal customer for many years and this is how they treat me. I'm sure people will ask, why I didn't leave earlier. I was hamstrung by my parents, since they like to watch the Chinese package that only DirecTV offered. It has gotten to that point where I just don't want to deal with DirecTV anymore and if my parents can't watch what they want, then tough luck, they'll have to settle with the Chinese channels from Optimum, since the triple play order has been placed.

member for 6.9 years, 618 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tristar2 See Profile

• Location: Alpharetta,Fulton,GA
Good "Great Hi-Definition and 3D content!"
Bad "Loss of signal during moderate rain"
Overall "If you don't mind the occasional loss of signal during some rain or snow events, the content and price are a winner!"
Mail,DNS,News:

The 1080P and 3D content is great. The worst thing about the service is the loss of signal during some rain and snow events.

We have 8 televisions in our home so DirecTV was a cost effective service initially. We grew tired of signal loss so after 3 years we switched to another service provider..

Comments:

Review by magicrat See Profile

• Location: Freehold,Monmouth,NJ
Good "1080p (but at additional cost), 3d content"
Bad "Service, support, pretty much every interaction I've ever had with them, 1.5 inches of snow and no TV"
Overall "Proceed with caution"

I recently switched from Cablevision Optimum because I was unhappy with
channel selection (no 3d content, no NFL network, past contract problems
with major networks). I had used DirecTV in the past while living in AZ.
With the sales/gimicks/offers that DirecTV recently made available, I
finally decided to switch. Regretting my decision - experience so far has been disappointing.
They were unable to provide the equipment I ordered... dealing with a Standard DVR as a second receiver seemed to throw
a monkey wrench into the entire operation. At least a dozen calls led to
nothing but unkept promises, misinformation, and wasted time. Inconsistent information by uninformed and
incapable service reps across the board. Took over a month to finally get
what I ordered properly installed.
October 29 - the historic snowfall on the east coast. About 1.5 inches of
snow on the ground in Central Jersey, and no TV service. Seemed to come back online sometime overnight, but very worried about the next snow storm. Standard response is to go clean the satellite dish that they mounted on the top of your house.
I head from others
in NJ that DirecTV was not good, but I didn't heed the warnings. I really want to like my DirecTV service. NFL ticket is great, HD channels as well, picture quality is solid. But seems at every turn, another unhappy experience.
Proceed with caution.

Andy
in Freehold, NJ

Comments:

Review by RCush See Profile

• Location: Huntersville,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Best choice for Sports and to control your own system"
Bad "Be prepared to trouble shoot your own systems if something fails"
Overall "Pay the extra monthly fee for maint, they will replace anything that fails and you get to jump the queue when you call for svc."

Have used DirecTV for over 10 years. Still haven't changed to whole house but getting close. It appears I will need make sure I have two DVRs on the network on the main TVs if we want to watch recorded shows on each TV. Whole house doens't support kids watching recorded shows on all TVs at the same time. You need DVRs for each user watching a recorded show. Lame but true. So for now, still using a couple of old TiVO DVRs and the HD DirecTV DVR.

Wouldn't even think about leaving them unless I gave up sports cold turkey!

Comments:

Review by tbrown See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Lancaster,NE
Bad "Terrible!"
Mail,DNS,News:

Not only did they continue to raise there prices, they didn't even tell me they were going to until I got my bill. The connection would be interrupted if it was even sprinkling outside. Their customer service sucks. It took me 2 and 1/2 months to get a refund.

member for 3 years, 0 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by GalinMcMahon See Profile

• Location: The Dalles,Wasco,OR
Good "Good advertisements"
Bad ""Whole home" DVR, audio quality, customer service"
Overall "Dish Network was so much better"
Mail,DNS,News:

We recently switched to Directv because Dish wouldn't upgrade us to HD for free even if we signed a new contract. We got the $29 whole home DVR plus HD package which of course became the $59 package after they added all of their fees.

Initially we were displeased with the way the DVR would record. If you told it to only record first run (new) episodes of a show, it would just record all instances that the DVR hasn't seen before. Our Dish DVR didn't do that. A couple calls to tech finally got us the answer, "That shouldn't be happening." It is still happening.

Another problem with our DVR is that when you press the jump forward button, it will freeze for about 3 seconds then fast forward 30 seconds. Dish would actually jump so you'd be through 30 seconds of commercials as fast as you press the button. With DirecTV you have to actually watch all commercials albeit in fast forward.

The latest DVR problem was just noticed yesterday. We pay extra for "Whole House" DVR which is apparently a new feature they have that Dish gave us for free. But with DirecTV's version, whole house DVR is actually only 'Whole House partial DVR.' You can not pause live shows from your non-DVR receiver. You can not see what shows are scheduled to record or set the priorities on your non-DVR receiver. Yet they still call it 'Whole House' and charge extra. I spoke to a "supervisor" about this and all he could say, and I quote, is "We are not Dish Network." Well, he also said that I was stuck with my contract for another 22 months of course.

Aside from our DVR issues, we're also seeing quality issues. The HD video is just good. I'd had Dish HD a few years ago with a lower quality TV and the picture was fantastic. Also, the audio on the locals is choppy and will sometimes cut out for seconds at a time. That would be annoying with a free service but it is downright unacceptable for an expensive paid service.

Their customer service is, as can be expected, a joke. Their call center is not likely in the U.S. because I rarely get on the phone with a person I can understand. But it doesn't really matter if you can understand what they're saying because their training is so limited that you will be passed around until they find someone who is authorized to tell you that, no, "They are not Dish Network. Sorry, have a nice day."

Needless to say I will leave DirecTV as soon as my contract is up if I can't find a way out of it (i.e. false advertising...it is not "Whole" house.)

member for 3 years, 0 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by MovieLover76 See Profile

• Location: Keyport,Monmouth,NJ
Good "Excellent HD picture, Reasonable prices, On Demand"
Bad "No Multiroom DVR, Poor connection reliability"
Overall "Average, not great. Leaving for FIOS"

UPDATE -- Not great

I don't know what it is with Directv but after a year the connection reliability went downhill fast, it now goes out anytime it rains or theirs a wind gust. We've had directv here to look at it, they tinkered with it for awhile, but it wasn't any better after they left.

Moving in a few months and I'm going to make the switch to FIOS, no more depending on satellite

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------

I have the 150 channel package, which includes what seems like a lot more quality HD than cablevision had. The HD picture is simply stunning compared to cablevision, whose picture always seemed soft and overcompressed.

I like the DVR, I am not comparing it to tivo as I've never owned one, but it's a vast improvement over cablevision's dvr, I don't need anything super fancy and I am very pleased with it

The On Demand works very well, and the selection of free content is admirable. We managed to get free installation even though it was an upgrade so the price simply can't be beat.

I had considered FiOS also but went with directv since the building was already wired for directv and it would have cost $200 to get coax installed in the four rooms. The only feature I've noted that I might have liked is the Multiroom DVR feature, but so far I am happy with my decision

Comments:

Review by schimmy See Profile

• Location: Castle Rock,Douglas,CO
Good "Great Promo Prices, better quality then Comcast in my area"
Bad "On Demand is still lacking but getting better/iPhone app stinks"
Overall "Great for the first two years, heard canceling can be difficult."

Switch from Comcast to DirectTV after all the problems I was having with Comcast after a year and a half with them.

Signed up through Costco and got great promo rates for the first two years that Comcast could not beat. All they would offer me is a 6 month promo that wasn't much of a promo. With me signing up through Costco, I got a $180 gift card for Costco and got it within two weeks after I got everything installed.

Overall, I'm very happy with the quality of the HD and even the SD stations compared to the quality of Comcast. I have not had one problem with any recordings yet with DirectTV's DVR, unlike Comcast when I would have to monitor it every single day. They also set me up with the Whole House DVR which has worked great.

Comcast only offered the main feed of the premium channels where as DirectTV pretty much has every single HD feed that the premiums offer which is real nice if I want to record a later showing of a movie on the west feed.

I like that I can just see the channels I get in my package unlike Comcast, and that they offer the HD feed of a station at the same channel number and able to hide the SD feed. Makes surfing so much easier. Comcast had HD channels in the higher numbered channels and were in no order what so ever. Some HD feeds in the mid 600's, some in the 700's and some in the 800's. They did have everything in the 700 range for awhile then switch back to the mixed channel line ups for no reason.

I also like some of the apps they have on their DVR box for sports scores and weather to name a few. I also like I can look at a lot of the sport channels at once then pick which one I want to watch. Again, Comcast does not have.

The only bad part I've found is that they don't have BBC HD, AMC HD, E! HD, those are the only channels I still have to watch in SD. I really like their iPad app but their iPhone app stinks.

DirectTV has been increasing their OnDemand options but they are still not close to what Comcast offered. That's probably the biggest thing I do miss from Comcast. DirectTV could also change up how to look for shows and the menu for it has it's not super easy to search for stuff.

Comments:

Review by Nuckfuts See Profile

• Location: Joliet,Will,IL
Good "Excellent HD picture quality, not limited to 1 HD/DVR like U-verse, expandable HD/DVR's, not limited to 4 HD streams."
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Price & quality far exceed what I previously had with U-verse TV"
Mail,DNS,News:

I went with the Choice Extra package for $34.99/month for 1 year and Autopay which waived the $10 HD monthly fee and whole home DVR service with 2 HD/DVR's and 2 HD receivers. First HD/DVR was free, second HD/DVR was $100, each HD receiver was $50. I also took the protection plan from the installer for $5.99/month. Installation went very well. Dish was pole-mounted in the yard in a location I really preferred. Installation technician was very cooperative and did a very good job. All the receivers were activated and running without a hitch. I had SD DirecTV in 2002 at my first home and when I purchased my first HDTV in January of 2005 DirecTV at that time did not lease HD equipment. You had to buy it outright. Well, I did not want to shell out $400-$500 bucks for HD equipment so I switched to DISH and had them till I got U-verse triple play in June of 2008. If DirecTV would of leased equipment back then I would of never left them. They by far were and are now my favorite TV service provider. When the tech activated the first receiver even my wife, who's vision is not the greatest, noticed the superior HD picture quality and color compared to what U-verse is now. I do not know how AT&T can call their service HD. All in all, I am glad I made the switch so my HDTV's can use their full potential and we can enjoy now what HD is suppose to look like and going from 160GB with U-verse DVR to 1 TB and expandable with DirecTV is nice. That and we will be saving like $40/month for the next year (we also cancelled netflix since we only watch like 2 blu-rays a month for $11.99 and Netflix streaming is okay but not worth it to us) and our bill will still be cheaper than U-verse after the one year and I like the fact that DirecTV gets movies on the release day and not a month later like Netflix. I highly recommend if you have U-verse HD to try DirecTV HD and you will be convinced it is far superior in HD.

Comments:

Review by bigred1324 See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Great HD picture quality"
Bad "goes out when it rains"
Overall "needs more national HD's"
Mail,DNS,News:

We switched from Frontier FiOS when they offered a bundle that would make the DTV service free for the rest of 2011. The install took about 4 hours and we got an HR24 HD-DVR and 2 H23 HD receivers.

The only real downside to the service is the rainfade. During some heavy rain it knocks out the HD channels and during some really bad storms it knocks out everything. It's a good thing to have the internet to fall back on. Plus, Direc spams your email inbox with useless emails. So if you can don't give them your main email address.