DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by MovieLover76 See Profile

• Location: Keyport,Monmouth,NJ
Good "Excellent HD picture, Reasonable prices, On Demand"
Bad "No Multiroom DVR, Poor connection reliability"
Overall "Average, not great. Leaving for FIOS"

UPDATE -- Not great

I don't know what it is with Directv but after a year the connection reliability went downhill fast, it now goes out anytime it rains or theirs a wind gust. We've had directv here to look at it, they tinkered with it for awhile, but it wasn't any better after they left.

Moving in a few months and I'm going to make the switch to FIOS, no more depending on satellite

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------

I have the 150 channel package, which includes what seems like a lot more quality HD than cablevision had. The HD picture is simply stunning compared to cablevision, whose picture always seemed soft and overcompressed.

I like the DVR, I am not comparing it to tivo as I've never owned one, but it's a vast improvement over cablevision's dvr, I don't need anything super fancy and I am very pleased with it

The On Demand works very well, and the selection of free content is admirable. We managed to get free installation even though it was an upgrade so the price simply can't be beat.

I had considered FiOS also but went with directv since the building was already wired for directv and it would have cost $200 to get coax installed in the four rooms. The only feature I've noted that I might have liked is the Multiroom DVR feature, but so far I am happy with my decision

member for 4.5 years, 857 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by schimmy See Profile

• Location: Castle Rock,Douglas,CO
Good "Great Promo Prices, better quality then Comcast in my area"
Bad "On Demand is still lacking but getting better/iPhone app stinks"
Overall "Great for the first two years, heard canceling can be difficult."

Switch from Comcast to DirectTV after all the problems I was having with Comcast after a year and a half with them.

Signed up through Costco and got great promo rates for the first two years that Comcast could not beat. All they would offer me is a 6 month promo that wasn't much of a promo. With me signing up through Costco, I got a $180 gift card for Costco and got it within two weeks after I got everything installed.

Overall, I'm very happy with the quality of the HD and even the SD stations compared to the quality of Comcast. I have not had one problem with any recordings yet with DirectTV's DVR, unlike Comcast when I would have to monitor it every single day. They also set me up with the Whole House DVR which has worked great.

Comcast only offered the main feed of the premium channels where as DirectTV pretty much has every single HD feed that the premiums offer which is real nice if I want to record a later showing of a movie on the west feed.

I like that I can just see the channels I get in my package unlike Comcast, and that they offer the HD feed of a station at the same channel number and able to hide the SD feed. Makes surfing so much easier. Comcast had HD channels in the higher numbered channels and were in no order what so ever. Some HD feeds in the mid 600's, some in the 700's and some in the 800's. They did have everything in the 700 range for awhile then switch back to the mixed channel line ups for no reason.

I also like some of the apps they have on their DVR box for sports scores and weather to name a few. I also like I can look at a lot of the sport channels at once then pick which one I want to watch. Again, Comcast does not have.

The only bad part I've found is that they don't have BBC HD, AMC HD, E! HD, those are the only channels I still have to watch in SD. I really like their iPad app but their iPhone app stinks.

DirectTV has been increasing their OnDemand options but they are still not close to what Comcast offered. That's probably the biggest thing I do miss from Comcast. DirectTV could also change up how to look for shows and the menu for it has it's not super easy to search for stuff.

Comments:

Review by Nuckfuts See Profile

• Location: Joliet,Will,IL
Good "Excellent HD picture quality, not limited to 1 HD/DVR like U-verse, expandable HD/DVR's, not limited to 4 HD streams."
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Price & quality far exceed what I previously had with U-verse TV"
Mail,DNS,News:

I went with the Choice Extra package for $34.99/month for 1 year and Autopay which waived the $10 HD monthly fee and whole home DVR service with 2 HD/DVR's and 2 HD receivers. First HD/DVR was free, second HD/DVR was $100, each HD receiver was $50. I also took the protection plan from the installer for $5.99/month. Installation went very well. Dish was pole-mounted in the yard in a location I really preferred. Installation technician was very cooperative and did a very good job. All the receivers were activated and running without a hitch. I had SD DirecTV in 2002 at my first home and when I purchased my first HDTV in January of 2005 DirecTV at that time did not lease HD equipment. You had to buy it outright. Well, I did not want to shell out $400-$500 bucks for HD equipment so I switched to DISH and had them till I got U-verse triple play in June of 2008. If DirecTV would of leased equipment back then I would of never left them. They by far were and are now my favorite TV service provider. When the tech activated the first receiver even my wife, who's vision is not the greatest, noticed the superior HD picture quality and color compared to what U-verse is now. I do not know how AT&T can call their service HD. All in all, I am glad I made the switch so my HDTV's can use their full potential and we can enjoy now what HD is suppose to look like and going from 160GB with U-verse DVR to 1 TB and expandable with DirecTV is nice. That and we will be saving like $40/month for the next year (we also cancelled netflix since we only watch like 2 blu-rays a month for $11.99 and Netflix streaming is okay but not worth it to us) and our bill will still be cheaper than U-verse after the one year and I like the fact that DirecTV gets movies on the release day and not a month later like Netflix. I highly recommend if you have U-verse HD to try DirecTV HD and you will be convinced it is far superior in HD.

member for 10.5 years, 1045 visits, last login: 238 days ago

Comments:

Review by bigred1324 See Profile

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Great HD picture quality"
Bad "goes out when it rains"
Overall "needs more national HD's"
Mail,DNS,News:

We switched from Frontier FiOS when they offered a bundle that would make the DTV service free for the rest of 2011. The install took about 4 hours and we got an HR24 HD-DVR and 2 H23 HD receivers.

The only real downside to the service is the rainfade. During some heavy rain it knocks out the HD channels and during some really bad storms it knocks out everything. It's a good thing to have the internet to fall back on. Plus, Direc spams your email inbox with useless emails. So if you can don't give them your main email address.

Comments:

Review by JColt See Profile

• Location: Elyria,Lorain,OH
Good "Great Picture quality"
Bad "Learning new channels"
Overall "so far so good"

sorry wrong company

Comments:

Review by glimerman See Profile

• Location: Alpharetta,Fulton,GA
Bad "very bad"
Overall "directtv scam"

I recently decided to switch from Dishnetwork to Directv as to be qualified for new promotional deals from current Dish provider. So checked promotions on line and I called Directv. Sales person on the phone promised the best deal in universe, their premiere package-285 channels , free premium movie channels for first 3 month, ability to watch all of my recorded programs on all 3 TVs in the house. It was discussed that I am going to receive 3 HD receivers. When I asked how much I’m going to pay each month during the contract I was told $50 a month for first 3 months and then $100 for next 21 months, with a promise of an email explaining everything in detail. Email showed full price for package with no discount, so called back and asked for explanation… Oh yes, they told me that I have to apply for rebates online to get the deal, so I did and once again requested an email with the confirmation of the price promised. On my numerous calls neither the person on the phone nor the salesman could give me consistent figures for the contract (RED FLAG), but all promised my three HD receivers. Finally after threatening them with a cancelation, person on the phone admitted that for the second year of my contract I will be paying full price of $134 (RED FLAG). I was willing to agree to this pricing due to a better equipment and ability to watch prerecorded programming an all 3 TVs. When the installer showed up, I discussed the details of my contract with him and my main question, the ability to watch prerecorded programming on all 3 TVs. Imagine my surprise when he told me NO! Of cause NOT, in order to have that option you MUST have 3 HD receivers not two HD and one regular receiver as they had it in my order. But note that it was the only reason that I still was going to go with DirecTV after they lied to me about the contract price!!! Well that is what NOT in my order he says…So after a couple of hours on the phone with various Directv representatives, I found out that in order for me to have that particular option- to be able to watch my prerecorded programming on all TVs, I must upgrade to a third HD receiver for another $100.

These people are scam artists, they will not give written contract under any circumstances before the installation. DIRECTV had pursued and solicited me until they have my signed contact, after that getting through to the customer service to discuss the problem was virtually impossible. Their customer service is lousy!!!! I had to talk to 5 different custeromer service representatives just to cancel my order! Most of my 30/40 minutes calls were either disconnected or transferred to other department where I had to repeat my “live” story all over again. Do not sigh up with them or at least NOT until you get a written contract detailing the pricing and technology (how many receivers, type of receivers, etc.). TERRIBLE SERVICE~ I would NOT recommend Directv to anyone unless you want to spend the rest of your TV-watching life in misery.

Comments:

Review by DirecTVSUCKS See Profile

• Location: Export,Westmoreland,PA
Bad "THEY MAKE THE MAFIA LOOK LIKE KINDERGARTEN!"
Overall "THEY MAKE THE MAFIA LOOK LIKE KINDERGARTEN!"
Mail,DNS,News:

THEY MAKE THE MAFIA LOOK LIKE KINDERGARTEN!

In 08/2010, I purchased a package through AAA that would include DirecTV for my TV and Windstream for my landline and internet.

The Windstream part is still not functioning properly.

Although the package was set up through DirecTV, they send separate bills and hold themselves completely blameless both for any lack of service their "partner" provides, and for any lies their own DirecTV employees tell you over the phone.

I was told my rebate was for my "bundle-that's-not-bundled". I did not submit my rebate over the internet UNTIL I HAD SEMI-FUNCTIONING INTERNET. DirecTV will not honor my rebate.

They pass me around to wrong departments over the phone, until they either hang up on me or promise to have a manager call back. Which is invariably a lie. I have sat on the phone with DirecTV for hours, repeatedly. I am refused contact to anyone at DirecTV who has the authority to correct their endless bungling.

Comments:

Review by maartena See Profile

• Location: Orange,Orange,CA
Good "Much better HD quality then cable, more HD channels, better selection."
Bad "No analog channels for my TV card."
Overall "Wish I had switched from cable sooner."
Mail,DNS,News:

Got DirecTV since early october 2010.

First thing I noticed once the installer finished setting it all up was how much clearer the channels were, the SD channels, but especially the HD channels. HD quality is much, much better then what I used to have with TWC. On top of that, I get many more HD channels.

I also like that the channel number stays the same.... Channel 2 is CBS, and if you have an HD receiver it is in HD, and if you don't you see it in SD. Not channel way-up-there like 402 if you want to see the HD version.

Further the in-house DVR works nice (although sometimes you have to try it twice before a show plays) and I love it that you can program your DVR online and even through a cell phone app.

Downside: still no BBC America HD as of writing this review, and I only have 8 HBO channels where on cable I had 11.

member for 11.9 years, 4186 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Mail,DNS,News:

My husband and I have been going through difficult times. We had a bill
coming up for Direct TV that I knew would put us over-drawn in our bank
account. I called them a week before the bill was due and told them I
could pay it the week after. I was then informed that they could not put
a stop payment on an automatic withdrawal. This I found confusing seeing
as how every other automatic bill pay I had could be stopped. I then
called my bank and put a stop payment on the payment. IT CAME OUT
ANYWAYS! I called the bank again and was informed that they removed the
money from my Debit card so there would be no way to stop it....Is this
not illegal? I thought companies could not remove money from a debt card
without the customers ok.....I did NOT give the ok! When I called DTV
back and confronted them about this I was told there was no way to get
the money back even though they made us over-drawn! But I was offered a
credit to my account. I am sorry but I can not feed my family with a
television credit! I am discussed and shocked with this company's lack
of understanding during these tough times. Honestly, this company is the
ONLY company who has been unwilling to work with us during our difficult
time. They have made it very clear that they don't care about their
customers and will take money from their empty pockets. Shame on Direct
TV!!!!!! SHAME!!!!!!!!

(review was emailed from domain bellagioresort.com)

Comments:

Review by dustman81 See Profile

• Location: Tallmadge,Summit,OH
Good "Great price, Whole House DVR"
Bad "TV Apps not working"
Overall "Good alternative for cable"

9/18/10 - After TWC decided to raise my rate from $93/mth to $132/mth, I switched to DirecTV. I signed up under the 5 month free Premier package with the purchase of NFL Sunday Ticket. I also get the free HD for life and the AAA discount of $10 off a month for 20 months, making my total for the first 5 months $74.62.

9/22/10 - The tech arrived in the scheduled 4PM to 8PM window (he came at about 7PM). I showed him the south side of the house and he said there was good line of sight. There was a old Dish Network 500 dish on the roof left by the former owners. However, since the Slimline3 dish requires a 2" pole and the Dish 500 dish was a 1 3/4" pole, he couldn't use it. He installed a new mount on the roof and removed the old Dish 500 dish. A SWiM was used.

He brought a HR24 DVR, H24 receiver and the broadband DECA I had requested. The HR24, H24 and DECA work flawlessly. I'm getting high 90s on my transponders, the picture quality is excellent and I've only had one instance of rain fade which was during a heavy rain. I'm able to use all of my On-Demands and watch my recordings on my second receiver. I am even able to watch my recordings on my computer with Direct2PC. My TV Apps aren't working, giving me an error code 11, but that is an annoyance.

All and all, more channels for less money than TWC.