DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by Zydaco See Profile

• Location: Taylorsville,Alexander,NC
Good "When it works, it's not bad."
Bad "Low class customer support. No concern."
Overall "The reps I talked to acted like they were doing me a favor."

After trying to upgrade our Direct TV to HD the company wanted to charge $100 dollars for the HD receiver. I feel this is completely out of order because of the fact that I have been a customer for over 5 years and we were never given a free receiver when we signed on. We bought our own Zenith Direct TV receiver and have always used it. Now, Direct TV tells us that we must pay them for the receiver and we also must pay the increased monthly cost of the HD package. What happened to customer loyalty and what happened to any consideration since they never provided the receiver to start with. We were told that we could have more than one free receiver for hooking up the TV in the other bedrooms but we never got those either. We made an appointment for this past Saturday, not what we asked for but what they told us was when the tech would be here, between 12:00 noon and 4:00 pm EST April 3, 2010. The tech was a no- show after we waited all afternoon. They finally called at 5:05 pm and said they would have to reschedule. At this point, we're thinking cable TV and internet. The satellite is dodgy, goes out when it rains. Too flaky and I don't appreciate their low class customer support.

Comments:

Review by SolarPup See Profile

• Location: Greeley,Weld,CO
Good "Great picture, no problem with quality!"
Bad "Watch for billing mistakes..."
Overall "Great deal for the money, if you're ok with a contract."

I used to work for Comcast, so I was skeptical about the whole dish situation. Gave it a shot after changing jobs, and was very pleased. Enough HD channels for the masses, great quality, easy to use system. Very much cheaper than cable!

Comments:

Review by jbrewno See Profile

• Location: Port Byron,Cayuga,NY
Good "Alot of HD , Alot of sports, Alot of good channels really."
Bad "Was unreliable til the Directv guy came out and straightend it out"
Overall "Time Warner Cable > Directv > Dish Network"

·TDS Communications
I updated this review because i had a change of heart. At first my satellite would go out with the slightest change in weather. (HD not working, No Signal, Audio Loss) I called up tech support, they told me they couldnt send anyone out until "the storm" passed. But anyways they sent out a Supervisor here and he was training some kid. They re pointed my dish and i was good to go from then on. Real good really. But here is some good and bads listed below. I live in a rural area, am only 1000 FT away from Time Warners lines one way and about 3000 FT the other way. I am in the process of trying to get them to run lines down here so i can get Road Runner and if they do, Once my 2 year contract is up with Direct Tv, I would happily go back to Time Warner Cable.

THE GOOD:

A lot of sports in HD
A lot of HD in general
YES Network (Yankees)
4 Hunting / Fishing channels
Interactive Weather Chan
Channels organized pretty (good or I am used to it)
2 HD Receivers 1 having DVR capabilities
A lot of News channels i.e. CNN, HLN, FOX NEWS, MSNBC, probably a couple more i forgot.
- - - - - - - - - - -

THE BAD:

These people lie lie lie lie lie. 35$ a month my @ss
10 HD Fee
10 a month box fees
Just all kinds of fees honestly shit i cant comprehend.
Tech Support
- - - - - - - - - - -

Overall:

If you can get Time Warner id go that route personally. If you cant get Time Warner id get Directv over Dish buts that's just because i like Sports, and am a Yankee Fan. Dish refuses to carry the YES Network.

Oh and i might as well throw this in the mix. If you live in a Rural area and arent serviced by Cable or DSL. Do not get Satelite internet from theese people. The service i got through them for a week was called "Wild Blue" I had it for 6 days and went back to dial up. Check to see if your in a coverage area for Millenicom Wireless internet. You cant go wrong with the Sprint Unlimited Package. Or the Verizon 10gb a month package. Much better than Satelite speed and latency wise.

Just my .02

member for 4.7 years, 692 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by DECJ See Profile

• Location: La Sal,San Juan,UT
Good "SD DVR receiver and service great"
Bad "HD DVR receiver sucks"
Overall "SD service, equipment & PQ great; HD equipment questionable & disappointing"
Mail,DNS,News:

This really is a review in two parts. The first is for DirecTV's SD service which I give high marks for. The installation, equipment, picture quality, and service was really good for the 6 years we had that service. We had to get our original Hughes SD DVR receiver replaced at one point with their R15-100 SD DVR receiver, but that was handled fine.

The other half of this review has to do with out move to upgrade to HD which we did last December. The installation was scheduled immediately and the installer was totally professional and competent. We got DirecTV's Slimline 3 HD dish and their model HR23NC-700 HD DVR receiver to go along with our new 42" Vizio SV421XVT HDTV and a home theater set up.

The problem is that we have experienced glacially slow performance with respect to the new HR23 HD DVR as compared to their SD DVR's. This is most noticeable when you use the remote to call up "Guide", or to then select and switch to a new channel, or to initiate other such functions. Where DirecTV's SD DVR works as fast as you could push the buttons on the remote, the same keystrokes on the HD DVR remote versus something actually happening on the TV takes a ridiculously long time (and I am typically talking about seconds and not milli-seconds here). Additionally, I don't know if this has to do with the new DirecTV HD DVR remote or the new HD DVR, but we notice that something isn't working as well as before as to either transmission or receiving. We have the same exact remote, and the HD DVR is located in the same very good direct line-of-sight location as the previous SD DVR, and yet, trying to change channels can often be challenging even when the remote is pointed directly at the DVR. For example, if you go to select channel "235", the first or second try yields a "2" or "23". It will often take 3 to 4 tries before the entire "235" gets received and appears on the TV before the channel switch finally occurs.

I understand that DirecTV is going to be coming out soon with a "new & improved" HD DVR to address the problems with the HR series of HD DVR's. However, it will be for a price, which I feel only adds insult to injury for those who already paid for the HR23 model.

Comments:

Review by Derch See Profile

• Location: Tulsa,Tulsa,OK
Good "Fast, easy install. What seemed to be a hassle free cable transition."
Bad "The signal is spotty when it's really cloudy, but thats a given."
Overall "A heck of a lot better than U-Verse and Cox cost and support wise."

I'm very impressed with Directv, there pricing is a lot better than Cox and support is a ton better than AT&T's.

member for 10 years, 2004 visits, last login: 7 days ago

Comments:

Review by Mdg See Profile

• Location: Allentown,Lehigh,PA
Good "Hardware, interface, picture quality"
Bad "no longer tops in HD, pricing"
Overall "too spendy when compared to dish"

I have had directv for 3 years, I think the picture quality is excellent on HD and SD. The menu's and graphic interfaces are easier to navigate than dish. When they had their HD roll out 2 years they were the king of HD, now it appears they have started to slip adding HD channels that I want to watch. Their pricing is higher than the competition after the 1st years of your contract. Their video on demand is easier to navigate and has more choices than dish. They could be a bit more competitive if they offered a decent package between family and choice

Comments:

Review by tobyn See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "It worked for about 30 minutes"
Bad "The entire rest of the time"
Overall "Most expensive 30 minutes of TV ever"

I moved into one of the large apartment buildings in NYC's financial district. I was happily surprised to find out I could get internet service from my previous provider (who I won't name because this isn't about them), but I had to go elsewhere for TV. It was between DirecTV and the cable company that served the building, so I flipped a coin and chose DirecTV.

I called up their installer that handled service to my building, and got a basic package. I don't really care too much about TV, but Thanksgiving was coming up and I was going to have family in town who would want to watch the parade, football games, etc. Fortunately they were able to send somebody out Wednesday morning to set things up.

The installer was prompt, I assume I was his first appointment of the day, and he showed up right at the beginning of my install window, which was nice. The install took a bit longer than I expected considering the dish is already on the roof and the whole building is wired up already, but the picture was crystal clear when the guy left, so I can't say anything bad about the process. I was enjoying channel surfing for the first time in a couple weeks, thought the DVR UI was nice, and was generally pleased with myself for picking DirecTV.

That's when the trouble started.

A couple of my relatives decided to watch an On Demand movie. Shortly after the beginning of said movie, the picture started getting blocky artifacts and the sound clicked, popped, and periodically cut out. I figured it was just the movie, so we switched it back to TV. Sadly, it was the same there. Many channels wouldn't come in at all, and those that would were completely unwatchable due to the artifacts, sound problems, and an occasional switch of the picture or sound (or even both) to a completely different channel.

I tried to contact the installer, but they hadn't left a card or any other piece of paper and their website was down (it was down for well over a day, but appears to be back now). Concerned about a scam (even though they didn't have any of my personal or financial info since setup was free), I went to DirecTV's website and tried to sign up for my account there. They didn't see me as a customer. Great.

Concerned that I had somehow fell for something, I called DirecTV directly trying to get to the bottom of the issue. Of course, before I could talk to someone I had to go through 10 minutes of automated troubleshooting. This process tries to reset your box, which (in my case at least) takes longer than the robot is willing to hold, so don't bother doing it, because if you wait until it's done the robot will simply declare that you've used too much of its valuable time and hang up on you (once it says it's doing this, there's no way to stop it, and there's no warning, so seriously don't bother).

Some time later I got to a very polite and upbeat CSR with virtually no hold time. After explaining what happened, and that I wasn't sure if I had run into some criminals acting like a third party installer (I told her the company name and everything; this bit of info is important later...), I was both happy and a little disturbed to find out that "everything was fine" as far as they were concerned and I was a customer in their system (one that apparently their website couldn't look up for some reason) with the right service package and everything. The nice lady on the other end of the phone offered to help me resolve my online account woes, but I figured we could wait until the TV was working first since scheduling my DVR remotely wasn't exactly top priority.

After reassuring me that this was a very common problem that she could resolve easily, she ran me through the basic reset process for the box which was listed in the troubleshooting steps in the manual that came with it. I had already done this, and it took about 10 minutes, but I complied and the results were as expected: no change. She reactivated things on her end a couple times, with no change either. That was pretty much the end of her ability, so she scheduled a service call for the day after Thanksgiving (Sweet! No football or parade! Thanks DirecTV! Fortunately my building has a lounge with cable...).

On the day of the service call, I received a call from their technician stating that I was in a multiple-dwelling unit building (which I had told them) and that a third party contractor (whose name I had already given them) had to handle all of the installation and service issues. I told the guy fine, and not to come, and since he had no solution for me other than to call the company I couldn't reach, I decided I should cancel my service.

Upon calling to cancel my service, I was told the operator could get in touch with my contractor. Too little, too late. I was not offered any sort of compensation (other than not being forced to pay for the service I already "used" -- THANKS!) for the hassle, so I told them to put the cancellation through. At that point I was informed that I would be charged $200+ because I had agreed to the service for 12 months, which is of course a complete scam since I never actually got to use the service, but I figured it was par for the course at that point and I remembered reading something like that in the fine print so I didn't press the issue. Rest assured I'll deal with that when the bill comes.

So here I am. Four days after ordering DirecTV I am: without television, slightly embarrassed that my family spent the holiday floating between my apartment and the building lounge, waiting on an empty box and a bill for $200.

Comments:

Review by obeythelaw See Profile

• Location: Bayonne,Hudson,NJ
Good "Excellent HD picture and good SD picture; a good DVR; on Demand works very good"
Bad "not much; sometimes get rain fade in really bad thunderstorm or snow storm"
Overall "When comparing to cable company, Directv is an excellent option in terms of picture quality and technology"

I'm a "new" Directv subscriber. My parents have had it for years and so I was used to Directv already. Now, at my place, I decided to go with Directv after a few years with Cablevision. With Cablevision I would have macroblocking on some channels and the set top boxes were slow and outdated. With Directv the HD quality is outstanding and the SD picture is very good. The boxes are great. The DVR isn't as good as a Tivo but it's better than what I had with Cablevision. Directv's channel lineup is very good with all of the channels that you want and a lot of sports too. The only drawback which isn't limited to Directv, but in severe thunderstorms, the signal will fade in and out and may take a few minutes to come back. I'm really loving directv!

member for 11.5 years, 5062 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by rcbrcb See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Great HD Programming, NFL Sunday Ticket"
Bad "Equipment Leases"
Overall "Great Provider, so much better than the FCO....."

Love DIRECTV........

Comments:

Review by twgbf See Profile

• Location: Utica,Oneida,NY
Good "Great picture quality, good selection of HD channels"
Bad "No local channels"
Overall "Go for it"
Mail,DNS,News:

I've been thinking about getting Directv for a while and finally decided to do it. I made the order on a Monday and Thursday morning the installer came. The install went well...a few minor issues but overall a smooth process. I have it installed in four rooms - 1 hd dvr, 1 hd receiver and 2 standard receivers. The picture quality is much better than Time Warner and the hd channels look great. I had to call customer service a few times when I got it and they were helpful and courteous.

I am very pleased so far...will update this review in a few months.

Update: 10/15/2009

Still loving Direct TV. The NFL Sunday Ticket is great for a football junkie like me. The dvr makes a little noise now and then but still works fine. To solve the local channel issue I put a Channel Master 4228HD on my roof. I now get crystal clear high def network stations from over 50 miles away. I am much happier with this setup than I ever was with Time Warner.