DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by linicx See Profile

• Location: United State
Overall "Don't. Save your stress for something important. "

·TracFone Wireless
I've had DIRECTV in three states with the same results. It's very good for about six months before service degrades and billing issues begin.

The installation was meh. He was not pleased that my cable was buried underground and he had to use it. I tire of fighting for what I pay for. It started badly when the pre-sales rep lied about availability. The came remote issues. They will not replace a bad remote. Worse, they screwed up my billing date and my credit card number.

Every month for the last four months they have told me my card was accepted and I have a zero balance for the month. Yesterday I found out they have been lying for four months. The bank affirmed it. Not once has DTV made any attempt to take one penny from my bank. Each and every time they have confirmed the correct card number and security number. YET, billing can not or will not use the correct card.

Now they are starting their various levels of threats. I don't scare. They can stand in line and wait with the other heavy-handed thugs that have tried and failed to use the same tactics. My Master Card works every where; it's why I have it. It works every where in the world except with DIRECTV.

They can have it. I am not coming back.

member for 12.3 years, 3725 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Timmn

Interesting

I must be lucky, I had exactly the opposite experience with DirecTV.

When I complained about a remote not working, they sent a guy out and he replaced both the receiver and the remote.

When I called to cancel service, I was primed to do battle, my inner warrior was disappointed when they didn't put up much of a fight.

The only reason I cancelled was because they raised their prices to the point where I could no longer afford it.

Yes, you are

You are extremely lucky. Regardless that I quit or ???, I will still have to pay the bill.

I found a solution

After scrolling through pages of junk advertising I found a number for corporate DIRECTV and called. When I mentioned I had filed a complaint with my state utility commission and I was going to contact FCC the woman I talked to decided to listen.

What I discovered after about two hours of wrangling was a massive screw up by billing and an even bigger cover-up to hide it. When they hide it, this makes the customer look guilty.

Company security is so sloppy they have no record of customer calls or complaints. If first level customer services does not like you... you did not call or complain.

The bottom line? It is just plain wrong to blame customer for company incompetency. .

The plus side is the mess is finally straightened out. DTV belatedly issued overdue credits, and I have a zero balance again. The uptick in prices on the receivers does not go into effect until all customers are advised, they say. Look in the Feb or Mar bill for your new cost.
theisonews

join:2013-09-19
Miami, FL

Re: I found a solution

I love directv. service is always good. and customer support is great. i been with them for 15 years. there are times when i can't afford the total amount of the current month directv bill. i chat with an agent online and they give me a break. And when my promotion ended. i called them and said i cant afford the regular rates then she said do you want to remove some channel packages. i said no. then she said let me see what i can do for you, 5 minutes later im on a new promotion.

Re: I found a solution

I am happy for you. Unfortunately it is not the case for all -- but it could be. And I truly hope they fix their broken billing system and soon.

Dickbellsou

@bellsouth.net
I have been with directv for 20 years and they use to be great. About 2008 they started going bad. Now customer service is HORRIBLE. They now have the attitude of if you don't like what we do or say then go somewhere else.
theisonews

join:2013-09-19
Miami, FL

Re: I found a solution

Directv gave me a $40 credit towards my next bill, why? I don't know.

Excellent. Enjoy it.

I was supposed to get a credit toward mine. Instead of the credit promised they increased the guaranteed price $15.00. These people lie out of both sides of their heads at the same time. It's amazing.
luckeylaredo

join:2015-03-26
Moody, TX
It would sure be nice to get that number. Appears this company loves to rip off the elderly. I made my first mistake getting Direct TV. They gave me all old equipment. After my son complained enough, they sent new equipment. They said, "Your father should of asked for "New". The prices change in the first month, they always had an excuse of why. I am elderly and on a fixed income. These kids tell you anything for a commission. I asked to speak to a vice President of sales. They said you get that number off the computer at Direct TV. That too is a lie. I told them I didn't want their services because they never kept their bargain and have lied from the get go. She said, "You will then have to pay us for early termination. I don't know why? They lied about everything. What are my options and who can I contact in the state of Texas.
send2dale@gmail.com

Review by icex See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Next day install, reliable "
Bad "They add things to your bill without you knowing."
Overall "Better than dish but billing tactics have me thinking about ditching them"

·Frontier Communi..
Ordered and installed next day. Installers were ok but took 2 hours to point the dish. Very unprofessional cussing at each other during the process.

I got a call a month or two ago that they were adding the xtra package to my account free of charge for 3 months and if I did not want to keep it, it would be taken off the bill automatically. Thursday I get a email saying my payment was completed for 101.73. My bill runs 70 a month usually. I call and am told I had promotions expire and added a xtra package. I told her I did not want the xtra package and just plain package. They would mot refund my card but credited my bill.

I love the quality of the tv service but not their billing practices.

Comments:
missingwings

join:2004-04-12
Felton, CA

Unexpected Charges

You need to re-read your DirecTV contract. Virtually all companies that offer "free" (for a time) offers, specify that if you don't automatically cancel, you will be billed at the regular rate. This was the case when we signed up for new service. I had to call to cancel the premiums, or be charged.

Billing?

I call it gouging. Once I am done I am not going back.

icex
join:2004-05-22
USA

Re: Billing?

Agreed. I actually had the plan changed to the SMALLEST plan they had. They then called the next day and every week afterwards, I assume wanting to offer me a free promo.

Review by Bridges003 See Profile

• Location: Wildwood,Sumter,FL
Good "Lots of chanels"
Bad "they take all your money! Service goes out with the lightest rain, hidden fees"
Overall "DON'T ORDER DIRECTV!"
Mail,DNS,News:

First and foremost, DirecTV has hidden fees. My first bill was more than I was told it would be. It had hidden fees and stuff that I did not want on it... DirecTV took care of it but I feel that they should ask you if you want insurance and stuff before they just go sticking it on your bill. My bill was supposed to be $66 a month and my first bill was over $100...

Secondly, the service sucks, it went out EVERY time it rained, even light rains.

Third, they take your money, even if you say no. I canceled their service over a year early, I knew that meant early cancellation fees, which I planned on paying as soon as I could since I didn't want it on my credit... But guess what? DirecTV ran my card everyday and took every dollar I had until they got their money, they would run my card until they got an amount that it would go through for... This caused many problems with my bank, I actually had to call them and have the card canceled... I also called DirecTV and spoke with someone about this and they said the only way they would give my money back is if I reconnect their service & that they would run my card until they got ALL of their money, how is this even legal?! I just told them that they don't have permission to do that!!!!!!

DO NOT ORDER THEIR SERVICE!

Comments:

jay225

@174.16.69.x

same thing happened ran my card

I had cancelled my direct tv and truly was going to pay and was waiting for my boxes to return all equipment, they than decided to run my card for a large amount of money. I called the bank of unauthorized purchases and called the company... Spoke to a representative at Direct TV and he told me I couldn't receive the funds back until I reconnected. I spent hours going rounds with this guy and about 4 others. State of the fact is, this is in fact illegal and is considered un-authorized debit which is illegal, they half to have your permission for any and all credit card and debit purchases. I would suggest never to have service with direct tv. I am having my bank and lawyer actually help me fight this, due to the large amount of money they took out of my account without my acceptance of the charge.

No company is allowed to this, and after researching I have read multiple companies return funds no questions ask, direct tv is heartless and have horrible customer service and service in general.

FureverFurry
join:2012-02-20
Wyoming, MI
·Vonage

The problem with autopay

While autopay is convenient, it is giving the business direct and unlimited access to your payment method. The other important point is that it is up to that business to process the "stop" of autopay: not your bank, credit union or credit card. Some businesses are a bit slower than others to do so. Also, it takes at least one (usually two) billing cycles to start AND stop.
Please support Great Lakes Bengal Rescue, a 501c3 charity. Foster homes are urgently needed for the beautiful Bengal cats in rescue.

·DIRECTV

I guess I must have been lucky...

When I had DirecTV, I had problems with rain fade also, that is until they sent out a technician who seemed to know what he was doing. He replaced the dish, and most of my problems with rain fade ended. It had to be a really bad storm to quit working.

When I called to cancel, they asked me why I wanted to cancel, and I told them that I could no longer afford it, and that was it. They sent me a "recovery kit" and I sent their equipment back. Other than getting junk mail from them begging me to come back, I haven't heard anything from them.

I do have to admit that my contract had ended, and maybe that had something to do with it.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
·Power-Net Intern..

I had the rain problem also...

But when I changed to HDTV the new dish solved most of the rain and snow outages. The new HD dishes have a much higher gain at the dish than the old SD dishes.

As far as the "extra" added fees I was told up front what they would be as such I think that you may be able to blame your salesman. They are listed plainly on the website also. I am a soccer aficionado and nowhere have I found as many stations that show soccer than DirecTv. I have eight channels just for the UEFA games.

If the installer does his job correctly he will put a meter right on the dish output to aim the dish properly. I you have a helper you can do some fiddling with the dish aim yourself using the channels that show the signal strength. That is how people with travel travel trailers do it when they park for the night. If you are paying the extra fee for repair insurance you can get an installer to come out and readjust the dish for you. Remember that these guys are not very highly paid so some just do enough to get the job done and that is common for all satellite installers.
Whoever said that ignorance is bliss wasn't referring to a person with a computer at his fingertips!

Cure Disease with your computer

swyaN

@65.27.234.x

Dircet tv is a joke!!!

they give you a fair price in the beginning and then gradually it will go up, just check your bill. Then when you call to complain about it they sucker you in with a free three month package on higher end channels like HBO and cinemax. Then when your not looking they charge you for it after two months, for those same three month packages.....
Crazy.,...

RlCcRH

@209.159.248.x

Re: Dircet tv is a joke!!!

Directv bills a month in advance.. so the bill that comes out is for the month after. so for the free programming they will show up on your bill as a charge for the 4th month but if you cancel the programming right when your free 3 months are up it will auto credit your account and u wont be charged anything. you just have to make sure u cancel when your supposed to if u don't want to get charged,
and as for the bill that goes up most every company does that , most customers gets credits on their account for a certain amount of time and then after it goes up to the regular price. I don't see how it can come as a surprise when this happens, every credit shows up on your monthly bill and you have 24/7 access to your bill online as well,

Review by donws See Profile

• Location: usa
Bad "Pathetic"
Overall "This is the worst company I have dealt with in my 40 years in business."
Mail,DNS,News:

This company has got to be one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. They lie to you about programming, your bill is never the same from month to month. The customer reps have to be from India because you can't understand them. I am on social security and have sent them several letter regarding my concerns about programming in billings. I received nothing but threats and late notices from these jerks. Finally they turned it over to a collection because I wouldn't honor their terms and agreement. The scumbags turned the collection over to a collections agency which intern went against my credit rating. I am contacting the Better Business Bureau and attorney general with my complaint as well. I would never recommend this company to anyone. They are liars and thieves.

Comments:
donws

join:2014-04-21
usa
·DIRECTV

This is the worst company I have dealt with in my 40 years in business."

Bad "Pathetic"
Overall " ity:

Horrible Ser

@207.118.128.x

Re: This is the worst company I have dealt with in my 40 years in business."

Direct TV is HORRIBLE! Customer service is the worst I had ever dealt with. They push for you to upgrade when you tell them no. They charge for early cancellation fee when I was a customer for 5 years. But because I upgraded last year they started the agreement over again. That is how they get you. I spoke to one rep and a supervisor (Heidi and Brittany) kept pushing for more expensive packages. would not listen to me the customer. They do NOT value their customers!
They threatened me to pay the disconnect fee or will send me to collection. I have no written contract they "said" it was verbal. This is bullshit. Please think twice about dealing with direct TV. They will screw you over and then do it again.

cathybeth

@184.95.124.x

So sad

I had two rep's log off on me when I took two seconds to ask my husband if a $3.50 up charge would be ok. Rude people and just want to get off to get the next sale. Sticking with dish

Taewon

@148.150.0.x

Re: So sad

Direct TV is worst ever in my life. they overcharged me and said they would correct next month but I have to pay if I call. then next month repeat it again. don't even think about having their service EVER!

Review by Mike1000 See Profile

• Location: Munster,Lake,IN
Bad "Bad"
Mail,DNS,News:

They charged my credit card without my authorization, I never allowed them to charge my credit card, but they kept my credit card number in file and charged it without my authorization. It is nothing but stealing money from somebody's account, I don't know why someone within the justice system does not go after them because I read in the review they have done with other people too. They are just crooks and they will do it unless they are brought to justice.

I just read the following review about DirecTV in google.com search for their rating with other consumer rating. I hope this also be added to my review:

These people got into my bank account unauthorized. I didn't sign up for automatic bill pay and come to add up my bills, they have been charging me 2x's a month the last 6 months. So, e-mailed 20/20 to explain full story so if any of you have had problems with Direct as I seen on many reviews, please send to 20/20 and your local news channel. They are scammers and big rip offs.

I read the following on the search engine the one who wrote says that he worked for Direct TV. So as you see they keep credit card number on their file and charge you without you authorize them:

I used to work for them. The truth is without a credit check, it is impossible for the representative to tell you how much you will pay. As an example if your credit is horrible, then you will pay a 200 fee and get only standard receivers. However, if you would tell me that your credit score was excellent, and if this was truly the case, I could always quote you the actual price without a credit check. We were asked to run a credit check because that is how they feel they have you. You are now invested. It is easier to close the sale. We were reprimanded if we did not get you past credit check. The only reason why DirecTV asks for a credit card is they want one on file in case you cancel and do not return equipment. They will go into your account and take the money out. I could not do this job anymore. I felt like I was lying to people and would get in trouble if I gave out too much information.

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Doesn't add up

How did they get your credit card information if you never authorized them to charge it?

join:2014-01-06

Re: Doesn't add up

I had DirecTV and the quality of their product is middling with long outages when thunderstorms arrive in the summer.
But their Customer NO Service is what stands out the most.
In general the CSRs in every department are rude, obnoxious, arrogant, deceptive, and petulant as well. It is as if they are doing you a favor by answering your call.
When I went to cancel my service once my contract had ended the retention CSR I spoke to was outrageous and the absolute worst CSR I have ever dealt with in ANY consumer business.
When I told the jerk to cancel my service he kept asking me what it would take for me to stay, he put me on hold for 20 minutes and of course said they could not meet my requirements. Again I said cancel. He then tried to threaten me by claiming I had many PPVs on my account that I hadn't paid for. Nonsense I told him there was ONE PPV that was accidentally ordered (10 months earlier) and had called that day to have them note it in my account, that was it. Finally the drone canceled my account.

I was so disturbed by the interaction with that idiot CSR that I wrote CEO mike white a certified return receipt letter outlining the horrid experience. Almost two weeks went by before I finally received the signed postal receipt but never heard ANY response from Mr. White's office.

That is why I will NEVER EVER purchase DirecTV again!
jm13269

join:2011-11-10
Santa Fe Springs, CA

Re: Doesn't add up

Anyone who is fed up with DirecTV listen. If you want to CANCEL SERVICE, BEFORE YOU DO, CALL YOUR BANK AND HAVE THEM SEND YOU OUT A NEW CARD, TELL THEM YOU LOST IT. SINCE THE CARD IS NO LONGER VALID, DIRECTV CAN'T RAID YOUR BANK ACCOUNT. This is what I did when I got fed up with their BS. I refuse to pay for services poor or non rendered. I will not pay a TERMINATION FEE period! Screw you DIRECTV !

People Read

@bellsouth.net
Because when you pay your bill online the option to keep your card bumber stored is there, and if you click it then it keeps the card number on file. Also on the same page is the "enroll in autobill pay" that is automatically saved as the option and if you do not uncheck the box that is what happens. You have to pay close attention when payint DTV online, the same as AT&T they pull the same tricks. But if someone just went there and didn't read all the screams carefully the first time that is what happens at set up. It isn't "stealing" it is a case of they set the options to the way they want it done and then someone didn't pay close attention when they set up their account and just like when the box of "Read and Agree to the Terms" came up, I guarantee no one read that either and agreed to the terms, which allows them to keep your card on file and bill it monthly on Autopay, which is all in that agreement box too, and careful reading would have prevented this. Don't blame DTV for the fact that someone agreed to allowing them to do this because they didn't take time to read what they agreed to and this person shouldn't call it "stealing" they should tell the truth and say "I just ddidn't agree and clicked through the information screens and blindly entered my credit card without knowing what I was doing.

Re: Doesn't add up

I am sure I did not let them auto bill, and I was paying my bill myself every month, but when I cancelled my account they went and charge my account without my authorization, I did not have contract with them because when I got direct TV everything was on the roof and they told me since everything is on the roof you don't need to have any contract for certain time. But when I called them they told me everybody is under contract. They are crooks and they are doing it to so many people, I don't know why you are defending them I am sure I never authorized auto bill pay there was never a large text to read, are you working for them?

join:2014-03-29
If you authorize them one time to charge for one single month. they keep your card info in their file and later charage you without authorization. Than is what happened to me with Directv.

·DIRECTV
The following I read on goole.com search:

Gary K

DirectTV Rejection of Time Warner Cable L.A. Dodgers Network-Stand Tough

I have been with DirectTV for sometime now and I agree totally that DirectTV should not give in to Time Warner Cable to add the SportsNetLA network that carries the Dodgers...I love the Dodgers and have been a fan since the Koufax and Drysdale era...However, the new owners of the Dodgers are clones of Frank McCourt...All they are interested in is making money for themselves and the ballplayers at the expense of those who put people in the seats and buy the stuff at the ballpark...Do not give in to these Creed demands by Time Warner Cable...Todays, L.A. Times Sports shows that the Cable people are fend up with paying higher cost for a specific network at the cost of it's subcribers...Thank you, DirectTV for staying strong against paying this higher Creed fee to the Time Warner Cable people who sold their common sense when signing up to represent the SportNetTV Dodgers station...Go DirectTV...

join:2014-01-06

The criminality starts at the top of this shady operation called DirecTV.

The problem is that the top executives APPROVE of the policies and behavior of
their CSRs. I am certain that CEO Mike White knows darn well about the
questionable and possibly borderline criminal behavior of the company.

The fact that I wrote a return receipt requested letter directly to his office, and they DID receive that communication from me detailing the outrageous and threatening behavior, yet NO ONE from his office would even offer so much as a apology, and or an offer to look into the incident for me constitutes approval by Mr. White and his underlings.

DirecTV CEO Mr White, go **** yourself.
larry

join:2014-04-16
usa

liars

told me my final bill would be 62.99,got my bill its 83.44,when i got my 1st bill it says communications service tax 10.93,what the hell is this ,when i called they said its like a sales tax,,sales tax is 7percent ,this is like 14percent,i asked who gets this money,no answer,its a frikin scam tax,,i also had to switch my internet to centurylink for 19.99,when i got my estimate online it says 41.94 not 19.99 and this is before taxes,so who knows how much this final bill will be,to many hiddin charges my nightmare has just began

Re: liars

Interesting you had this same experience as I did, they placed some tax on the service that was far and above the 6% that is the norm here on ANY product, I called and the obnoxious and difficult to understand hispanic CSR tried to claim it is a SC tax but there is NO such tax at all, my guess is DirecTV is trying to recover some of the discount they initially offer on their service to you. I pushed and the women became annoyed and hung up on me.

Yes, DirecTV is a shady, crooked company.

@larry:

why not send a return receipt requested snail mail to the
head crook, CEO mike white, and post back the response to your issues.

Review by Labyert See Profile

• Location: Estherville,Emmet,IA
Bad "Horrible company!!"
Mail,DNS,News:

I started with Direct TV in 2013. I was told for one year my bill would be 61.98 the following year would only go up $10 for receivers. After 2 months with this company I get a bill of $300 they said it's "how their billing cycle works" to be charged over 3 months. Told me I would receive credits on my next three bills. They messed up my credits every month. I had called them with every month bill in the last year with mistakes. 6 months ago I agrees to pay 4 payments of 44.99 for Sunday Ticket. I've now paid 6 months and they are telling me there was nothing in my notes to only have it for 4 months. Now my year is up and I'm getting charged double. Multiple times I've asked for a manager and they tell me they don't have one. I've never been so unhappy or cheated from a company in my life. JOKE of a company.

member for 1 year, 1 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

BigRedCheese

@156.110.24.x

Curious

I have Cox Cable in my area, I've been with them for years. Currently I'm being charged 69.00 a month for "expanded" basic cable, I don't have HD, no movie channels, no DVR, just what seems to me to be a very basic package. About 60 channels or so, of which I watch AMC, A&E, CNN, occasionally, a show or two, and the news channel when a big story breaks; gave up on History because of all the reality programming. That price seems high to me, even if I regularly watch most of the channels, only watching one or two cable programs, it seems insanely high.

Recently, at Walmart, a Direct TV rep offered me a deal for 35.00 a month, "for as long as I have Direct TV." Coming with a free DVR, free installation, yada, yada, yada. It's very tempting, but I decided to research it before taking the bait, and now I have found all these horror stories about overcharging, hiding things in long contracts, etc.

My sister had Dish, and after watching what she went through with that, Dish is not an option for me, but she switched back to Direct and seems to be happy with it. But all these stories are giving me pause, this isn't the only place I've seen horror stories like this about Direct.

I'm wondering if I should roll the dice and try it, or if I should just forget it, and continue to pay the kings ransom for a handful of shows I do like to see as they come out. Maybe I just want to be talked out of it, lol. Do you think I should try and negotiate a better deal with Cox, or is that a waste of time? I would appreciate some good advice from either end of the issue.

two_Amandas

@216.145.95.x

Re: Curious

Well I'm not sure yet about long-term but I can tell you that we just had DirecTv service installed in our home today. 2 TV's connected, a Genie DVR Recorder, Mini-Genie DVR Recorder for the 2nd TV, super fast installation-less than 24 hours after subscribing by phone we had a very efficient & well-mannered technicion at our home installing our new system, a $100 Visa gift card, and a 12-month price discount of $65.99 for all HD Ultimate Package-all of this cost only $21.01. That's all. Of course they want you to do auto-pay, which is fine with me. This includes On Demand & DirecTv Cinema, & many other neat little things. I know that my price will go up after the 12-month period. The package will then cost $81.99 I believe , or a number very close to it. So, I know that I'm VERY pleased with everything so far, I hope to feel this way throughout my relationship with DirecTV!

storegirl122

Re: Curious

I have just finished the first year with DirecTV. My bill went from $68 to $110. I called DirecTV and had my package reduced and now i will be paying $81. I will be so glad when I fulfill this 24 month agreement so I can cancel and explore other options. On my bill this month there was a note that next month I would be charged $39.99 for MLB extra innings and if i didn't want to be charged i needed to cancel by April 9th. DirecTV is one big scam!!!
shrraga

join:2012-07-22

I doubt that you will pay that low... I have 4 tvs connected, with the bottom tier programming (entertainment) and HBO. My monthly bill is $118 a month. We have 1 basic DVR (not genie or tivo) and 3 HD recievers (which... yeah... use around $25/ month worth of power combined...). Directv keeps adding NFL Sunday ticket to our bill even though we've unsubscribed 15 times now.

Oh, Amandas, make sure you cancel the premium movie channels trial that comes with all new sign ups (and requires you to call, no canceling on the website) or your bill will go up by... I think it was $40?

join:2014-03-29
Wait, until you see their true face. Until then enjoy it.

Bruno

@198.73.28.x
Do not get Direct Tv. They tell you whatever you want to hear to get you roped into the contract. It is a very lousy service and the customer service reps are terrible. Stick with what you have or anything else!

FLridaPhilly

@cox.net
I have canceled my DirecTV after having them for 3 years. I have to say that I was extremely happy with them. No problems with the service or the billing whatsoever. Before having DirecTV I had Dish for one month. WHAT A DISASTER! They promised all kinds of this and that...including the monthly bill. EVERYTHING they said was a lie. They wanted to charge me the money for an entire year when I told them to stick it. I canceled my debit card that they had initially used and told them to go ahead and take me to court! Never heard another word from them! I only quit getting DirecTV because I don't watch TV enough to warrant 100 bucks a month and really couldn't afford it. NOT because of anything they did or didn't do. I bought an outdoor antenna and get several stations. That coupled with Netflix and Hulu Plus, I get to watch as much as I did for $100. Also, if you go to the network's websites you can watch full episodes of their programs.
Free TV....can't beat it!
stridr69

join:2003-05-19
San Luis Obispo, CA

Re: Curious

Actually the "networks" are going to the requirement of one having at least a basic cable/satellite service these days. No more "free ride". Like the recent Olympic Games on NBC.

Lisa RI

@cox.net
I am also a Cox customer and pay 170.00 a month for a bundle with HBO. I've been with them for years and come April I'm going to find some other service and get rid of my phone. Cox is way too expensive!!

Dee13

DO NOT get DirectTv

I hate DirecTv so much. It doesn't work when it is raining, snowing, or even SUNNY (I swear I got a memo on my TV saying interference with the sun). So half the time I don't get a picture and the rest of the time it's all pixelated and the words don't match with their mouths, it's so frustrating. I live in an apartment and other people's cable is working but mine isn't. Strange. They said they'd send out a technician, ONE WEEK LATER. So I have to wait a week to watch freaking TV and they told me if it's not a dish related issue they will charge me $75 so I gave them a piece of my mind and expect a credit the moment the guy comes out here and fixes whatever is wrong with this horrible device.
This is only one of my many problems.
Don't get it you WILL be disappointed.

Anon123

Do not get Directv

I got directv in August of 2012 along with internet to be bundled through AT&T... It was ok for a while... then our neighbor got directv and when they came to install it, they put a splitter on our line going to our dish to hook his up and our reception was horrible. I called numerous times with no results. Even another Directv tech told us they were supposed to put it on the dish itself instead of splitting our line. Anyway, then they "gave " us the movies for 3 months "free" -- adding them to the bill then subtracting them out-- but even after I called they kept on adding them in. I wound up getting a bill for 195.00 when my original bill was 81.00. Ridiculous!! I canceled my service. I had enough! Then one person said the cancellation fee was $100. When I got the final bill, it was 175.00... PLEASE WATCH OUT!!! THEY WILL SCAM YOU ANY WAY THEY CAN!

Review by songsrmyjob See Profile

• Location: usa
Bad "THESE GUS ARE CROOKS AND LOSERS"

I WAS TOLDD 44.95 TURNED OUT TO BE 74.99
HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE FROM JUMP STREET
WORST COMPANY ON THE PLANET AN THEIR PACKAGE PARTNERS ARE EVEN WORSE
CENTURY LINK,AND HUGES NET

Comments:

mamayama

@qwest.net

Feel like I have been robbed

went too direct tv because I am on disability and could not afford the other company I was with, I called Direct tv because I had gotten some mail stating they were doing a special for like 29.95 a month, I thought perfect that is what I need the gentleman on the phone kept telling me I was paying way to much with the other company, and he will get me fixed up. BIG MISTAKE nothing he said was right he never told me they would take it right out of my bank account every month ( I had to give them the info about my bank account to get it hooked up, it cost 21.00 that you had to pay up front) I have never received a bill from them, and each month it got hire and hire then today when I went and checked my bank account they had taken 145.02 out of my account. to say the least I was so shocked and devastated when I called them I could barely understand the lady, we ended up getting disconnected ( how convientent) so I called right back and got a man who ended up hanging up on me, never did get it straightened out all I know is for sure now they are going to send me a bill in the mail so no more surprises, I still feel like I have been violated by ths company and will tell other people to beware r think twice before going to this company. Very Very Sad

Direct TV Co

Re: Feel like I have been robbed

Wowwwww did they explain what package you were receiving, how long have you had us, I am a sales rep for Direct TV, maybe I can help you

DTB

@windstream.net
I understand. I was told I would be paying about 75 a month. I signed up for 24 months understanding my bill would be 75. Well that didn't last. Now I'm paying 160 a month but my contract is up in November. If I have money to make it that long.

lovebug

@sbcglobal.net
I used to work for them & seen this all the time. I bet the $100 something bill was after 3 months so your payng for the movie channels & you didn't submit your rebates.

Smoochz

@rr.com
I don't know if anyone took the initiative to do it.....I feel this company needs to be reported to the better business bureau & FCC, so others will know the scam they run on their customers. I have been reading a lot of positive with mostly negative feed-backs, because i was trying to decide to leave time Warner because it changed to insight .....but now reviewing all negative comments I might just stay with twc.....or in the future go back to AT&T it was super, just a little pricey but great csr & great fiber optics tv....Just voiced my opinion because i too am currently on disability & I understand how you feel.....

POd Cust

@pstel.net

Watch for overdrafts from them

It started when my debit card declined at the gas station, I called my bank and was told my account was over drawn by $300 because of a recent charge by Directv of $957.23!?!? My normal bill is $75, so I called customer service and when I was finally able to talk to someone I could understand, I found out it was a mistake and was charged to the wrong account. It was a couple of weeks before Christmas and I still had shopping to do for my boys so I said "OK, just credit me back the money and everything will be ok" I was told that refunds take about 30 days to go through!!! Needless to say I was not happy, and apparently nobody could help me with this or wanted to explain to my boys why Santa wasn't bringing much this year. I found the CEO's email and told him the whole thing, he was very apologetic and said he would expedite it. It was back in my account the next day. My hat's off to the CEO for making it right, but for the customer service and their mistake, there is no excuse for that kind of incompetence. I have not been under contract with them for over a year now, so after that fiasco, I will be a Dish customer. My brother and a few co-workers have dish and said they have awesome customer service but don't offer as many channels. I think I will sacrifice a couple of channels for service because that's what both of these company's business is, providing service. I will update on my Dish experience when I get set up.

Ron

@embarqhsd.net

Re: Watch for overdrafts from them

I had this same issue. My family moved over 1,000 miles. customer service told me I cold freeze my account until we got settled. only a week after getting settled in our new home Direct tv took over $1,000.00 out of my bank account for non payment of one month. skipping over lots of phone battles with VERY rude service reps. everything was cleared up they added 2 years to my contract ( prison term ) and the money was never returned instead I didn't have to pay a bill until the money took was at a zero balance. This was just as we started Christmas shopping and broke! If ever your stuck indoors with your family due to weather you better go rent a movie Direct tv rarely gets reception during bad weather. Don't ever get Direct Tv oh by the way they have been dropping lots of channels lately

Review by cpeagle1 See Profile

• Location: Saint Paul,Ramsey,MN
Good "When the service works, it's good quality"
Bad "Read on..."
Overall "Don't waste your time and money"
Mail,DNS,News:

Direct TV is terrible, don't ever give them your money. They lie to you about how much you have to pay when you sign up. Their customer service is difficult to work with and inconsistent. Their service is inconsistent, ours has been going in and out over the past three weeks and has now been out for nearly 14 hours and they can't get someone out till tomorrow(after a full sunday worth of football) and they charge you when their stuff doesn't work and they have to come out to fix it.

Get Dish network or comcast, at least comcast is upfront about how much it will cost. Direct TV had at least 5 "special discounts" that I was enrolled in at the beginning, even though I was promised my rate wouldn't change, as these "special discounts" ended, my price rose month after month, and now I can't cancel or downgrade my service or I will be subjected to crazy fees.

Comments:

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX

Dish sucks

Had Dish Network for 8 years and for the 6-7 they were great, then cs and general service quality began to get worse and worse. Went back to DirecTV and they are way better than Dish or Comcast in service quality and support.

Dot Vernon

@myvzw.com

Re: Dish sucks

I have had DirecTV for many years and pretty happy with it especially compared to others. I never sign up anywhere for these deals. It's called baiting the hook.

DTV best

@verizon.net

1 recommendation

IT's all in the documetation online and in print.

OP should have read the contract. It's all there and he shouldn't have been surprised when his rate went up when the promotions ended. No surprises.

Obrien

@myvzw.com

Direct tv

Direct tv is the worst decision I've ever made. Dont send checks in. I have had to call in every month and had to fax bank statements in because they"lose" them or can't find them until the bank statement comes through. The service is garbage. Don't do it!!!

Re: Direct tv

I agree DirecTV is the WORST provider of television in the USA.

And why should the OP have to be a lawyer reading the tiny print in that unreasonable contract to understand his obligations?

Read the contract...LOL...it is written so that it is confusing deliberately.

I had DirecTV and their CSRs are the worst in the industry.
Read my review of DirecTV!

Re: Direct tv

said by 15444104:

I agree DirecTV is the WORST provider of television in the USA.

Apparently,you have never dealt with Comcast, I won't let anybody from Comcast in my house.

Ever since DirecTV changed the dish on the roof, I've had no issues with their service, and have no problems with their CSRs.

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX

I had Direct TV for 2 years and at least 3 times per year I would have a
serious problem. One time they added an NFL Football channel to my package
without my consent and charged me an extra $35 per month. I called and they
told me that they did that as a "favor" apparently thinking I wanted it but
was too stupid to order it. I never watch NFL Football. When I finally
cancelled I paid the $180 penalty and then they also hit my credit card for
an additional cancellation fee, doubling the cancellation charge. When I
called, I was told that it takes 30 days for them to generate a credit
adjustment on a credit card account. They did not have my authorization to
charge my credit card in the first place. If any readers want to use Direct
TV, be sure to check every invoice for over charges (there will be many) and
never give them a credit card number.

(review was emailed from domain sbcglobal.net)

Comments:

ihatedirectv

I hate direct tv

I ABSOLUTELY HATE DIRECT TV THEY TOOK 600.00 OUT OFF MY DEBIT CARD WITHOUT PERMISSSION ,EXCEPT IT WAS ALREADY "ON FILE" FOR CANCELLING THEIR HIGH ASS BULLSHIT SERVICE THATS ALOT TO CANCEL A CONTRACT DONT YA THINK ANYWHO I TRIED TO EVERYTHING TO GET MY MONEY BACK AND THEY TOLD ME THAT IF I RE-ACTIVATE THE SERVICE THEYD GIVE IT BACK..LIKE A DAME GAME OR SOMETHING... SO IF YOU HAVE A CARD ON FILE WITH THEM YOUD BETTER TAKE IT OFF ASAP..LESSON LEARNED

Review by karenarnold See Profile

• Location: Lewisville,Denton,TX
Mail,DNS,News:

They were extermely late. I had to keep calling them when they were not there at promised times. They did not want to give me advertised discounts and then overcharged me for first three months. When I disconnected my service after 6 months fee was $360.00 I set up payment arrangements and started meeting monthly payments after two months I started receiving calls from a collection agency. They had failed to tell me if not paid in full within two months this would happen. Collection agency is very rude and even though you are making payments to them as well they call every two days. If not paid within 1 month it will go against your credit.

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

I wouldn't pay them anything!

karenarnold, it's people like you that encourage them to try to get away with stuff like this! If they tried to overcharge me at the beginning I wouldn't pay they anymore until it was all straightened out. I certainly wouldn't pay them anything after it was cancelled!
join:2012-06-11

If they want to harass you then...

you need to harass them. Have a lawyer write a brief letter indicating that they have violated their terms and that you will see them in court. The best thing for you is that it is pretty clear that they were REFUSING to act in good faith when it came to the terms of your agreement. Also inform them that you will contacting the state attorney general, the BBB, and the local TV station about your situation. That needs to be sent Certified Return Receipt Requested to be opened only by the CEO of the company.

You will get a quick and satisfactory resolution for your trouble.
jli

join:2013-02-20
Pleasanton, CA

Price increase from DIRECTV

I noticed that on my March DIRECTV bill, there is a fee increase over the February bill with no service change. So I called just to find out the reason for the increase. I was told that DIRECTV had a review of their service and decided that in order to maintain the quality and the level of service, they need to adjust the Choice Xtra plan to Xtra plan with a fee increase. In addition to that, there is a $5.00 (22.5%) increase of Advance Receiver monthly rental fee. So, I asked them that if they were allowed to increase the price, would we, the customers, be able to terminate the contract prior to the two-year term? This is the 6th month using their service and I have already seen a 22.5% increase on the existing equipment alone, what change should I expect for the rest of the contract term. They told me that I could not terminate the plan before the two year term was up. If I do, I will be billed at a prorated service fee. So I asked to speak to the supervisor. He advised me that my basic service plan fee will not change for 12 mos, the price increase was caused by the $5 increase of Advance Receiver Rental fee ($25 now vs. $20 before). I argued that the receiver is hardware, sitting there in my house being depreciated at an accelerated pace day after day. How in the world can the 22.5% rental fee increase over 6 month period be justified? I encourage everyone to take a look at your new bill to see whether this price change has affected you. The important thing is not about $5 price difference, is about the contractual principles. The terms should be binding to both parties. Any price increase should be reasonable (new equipment or added service). I am surprised that no one has sued DIRECTV for such kind of business conduct.

Upset

@insightbb.com

Re: Price increase from DIRECTV

My bill goes up every single month. Usually around $7/month. The first year, it stayed the same every month, and the second year, my bill has doubled and has new stuff on it I did not add. Also, they told me that because I got a new box when I moved (which when I asked the people at set-up they said no) they automatically added another year to my contract. I specifically asked them at set-up and they said no. Now, no matter how many supervisors I speak to, its the same: too bad. They said when you change anything you automatically have another year added. Even if I want to lower my plan since its astronomical now. I thought Insight was bad...
boss

join:2013-04-07
for the record the price increase took affect on EVERYONE that has an advanced reciever, it is also in the directv contract that it is subject to change as far as price goes. it is binding on both sides. you are more than capable to read the contract before signing up and and know what youre getting into before hand

hola

@bellsouth.net
direct tv is horrible!!! they steal your money! don't even think in signing a contract with them. Literally they will steal your money