DIRECTV page on DSLReports

Review by tiffincool33 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,La Salle,IL
Good "When it works"
Bad "No signal when it rains and never works properly"
Overall "Directv is aweful"

I have had Directv Since September 2013. I have had nothing but problems with them. We are always having issues with the signals and our DVR. Techs have come to our home a ton of times yet we are always having the same problems. The techs never switched out our receivers either. Finally my husband and I had enough and decided to cancel services. directv tried and tried to get us to stay as customers but we refused. they even offered to switch out the receiver. We had enough with the services not working. so they threatened us that they are taking away all our credits and charging us nearly $300 for early cancelation fee. we told them we refuse to pay the cancel fee because it is not our fault that the services hardly ever worked while having them. Then they threatened to take it right out of our bank account. So we made a complaint to the BBB and now waiting. I highly recommend not ever getting services from Directv. they will just screw you out of your time and money.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:
dplantz

join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA

Very Happy Directv Customer Here

You are mad because your installer did not do their job correctly. I understand that, but they should be able to get you someone to reinstall it correctly. I have been a Directv customer for nearly 10 years with great signal, hardware that just works, and great picture. Also did you not know that you were making a 24 month commitment and the termination fees equal 20 a month for the contract? Pay it and move on. Don't pay and it will hurt your credit and be on your credit file for 7 years or more depending on your state. Good luck

Review by mllryclssn See Profile

• Location: Destin,Okaloosa,FL
Good "Works Well"
Bad "Moving"
Overall "Thier moving fee is ridiculous"

I've had DirectTv for over a year, my bill is setup on automatic payments and I've never been late. I've been overall satisfied with them. We are moving in a few weeks and they want to charge me $200 including all the add on charges to move my DirectTv equipment ACROSS THE STREET! They actually told me they were discounting the service and it was "worth" $500. I don't know what the average technician looks like, but the one that installed my equipment spent ten minutes installing and twenty minutes chain smoking beside his truck. He wasn't wasting my time, but to say his time was worth $500 is insulting. I have no problem paying a transfer fee, I'm paying one with every service I have, but $200 is a little ridiculous since the second most expensive for me is $50. Bottom line-- if you have any intention of moving, I would research other options, I definitely wish I would have. The good news is it is only $260 to cancel, so I will be calling them again before our move and switching to another company.

Comments:

chriscam21

@168.244.7.x

crooks

Direct TV are nothing but scandalist crooks with the worst customer service ever. They somehow hacked my bank account and got my debit card number, because I never gave them that particular card. They took every penny I had in there and left me so I couldn't pay electric bill, rent, groceries to feed my kids, and insulin for my wifes diabetes. They say they had the card on file but they are lying because every payment we made was on another debit card my wife gave them when we signed up. Do not give them any personal info or they will hack you as well.

Review by newview See Profile

• Location: Parsonsburg,Wicomico,MD
Good "Excellent DVR Service, great HD, good channel lineups"
Bad "Leased Receiver"
Overall "DirecTV is the best company I have ever dealt with, bar none"

I dropped Comcast cableTV back in 2003 for DirecTV satellite due to a price/value comparison, Every aspect of my switch was handled professionally, and in a timely manner with absolutely no problems, The entire installation was free, with the exception of the shipping of the receiver box, just as promised by the pleasant Customer Service Rep I spoke to on the phone. It was very refreshing to be quoted a price and it actually being the price, unlike what was the norm with Comcast. It was also gratifying to see the installer actually show up at the promised time, again unlike what I was used to with Comcast.

On the occasion of my first service call a couple years later, it was again handled very courteously and professionally, again at no cost to me even though I did not have the Protection Plan that is offered. Subsequent service calls over the next few years have always been handled in the same manner, and I was usually given some extra credit on my bill, or an extra service as an "apology" for the inconvenience of whatever problem I encountered. I definitely got the feeling that DirecTV appreciated my business.

When I upgraded my TV to Hi-Def back in 2008, I once again called DirecTV to upgrade my equipment and service to take advantage of HD. Once again, DirecTV made it painless to upgrade, again at no cost except shipping for the new DVR Receiver. The installation of the new required dish was performed within a week, and went flawlessly. I did have to agree to a year commitment at the time of the upgrade, but my past experiences with DirecTV allowed me to agree with that with no problems in my mind at all.

I am extremely happy with my decision back in 2003 to subscribe to DirecTV and they have a customer for life as long as their service remains as excellent as what I have experienced these past seven years.

Saturday April 4, 20104 - My Amazon FireTV »amzn.to/1hF2k8V arrived today and 10 minutes after hooking it up I cancelled DirecTV.

I was happy with DirecTV the entire time I had service with them.

They were responsive & knowledgeable when I had a problem and the service itself was exceptional ... BUT ...

The prices have just skyrocketed to the point that that I just could not justify the expense any longer. I was paying almost $100.00 a month when I cancelled, and had previously dropped all the extras, Starz, HDNet, the Protection Plan as well as downgrading the basic service tier over the years to recover the fee increases ... and was STILL paying more than I was when I signed up 11 years ago.

I told DirecTV that I was fed up with paying for some channels or blocks of channels that I didn't want or use just to get channels that I DID want. I told them I didn't watch any of the Disney channels, or the Viacom channels nor did I watch the NBC, CBS, ABC or Fox channels and was tired of subsidizing all the crap just to get the channels I desired. I also told them that when & if they begin offering a la carte, I *might* consider coming back.

Now ... at least for the next year I'll be perfectly happy with Netflix and Amazon Prime offerings ... with NO FUCKING COMMERCIALS ... and saving about $1000.00 a year.

I just read where DirecTV has been / will be acquired by AT&T.

I'm soooo glad I cancelled.

I absolutely REFUSE to have anything to do with AT&T.

member for 12.8 years, 6052 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

emjayef

join:2007-11-25
Pleasant Hill, CA
·Anveo
·Astound Broadband

But your link is broken

The Amazon player looks pretty nice. I have an old, original Roku player, but I like the Amazon player better than the latest Roku. If I didn't have a Smart TV with the same features (except the voice control), I'd get one.

But your link is broken. Even changing the right bracket to a slash didn't help. Still, it's easy enough to just Google for Amazon fire tv.

And people should know that you still need a decent internet connection to use this.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

Re: But your link is broken

Yup ... you're right ... link fixed.
And you're right about needing a good internet connection also.

emjayef

join:2007-11-25
Pleasant Hill, CA
·Anveo
·Astound Broadband

Re: But your link is broken

That was fast.

I used to have a promotion with Comcast TV including free HBO, and I don't think I watched more than 6 hours total TV during the 3 month promotion. I just found it easier to watch Netflix or Amazon Prime than go through all the steps to watch something on TV.

phoenix775

@75.142.35.x

Direct TV Don't Do It!

I posted this previously in a site for activists against Direct TV. All the people there were screwed by DTV as well and you can review the banter and make an informed decision which I am sure will lead to you deciding against DTV as your carrier. I have also asked them to post on every Facebook site that advertises DTV and that we all go in search of Google and other sites to post our grievances on so that the public can view them and know not to get involved in Direct TV's scams. They are dishonest and very legally binding in their thievery. Look for our posts on all DTV sites before you sign up and save yourselves! Check out Direct TV Sucks!! in your FB search engine and see more posts. And do not sign up! Following is what they did to me that made me promise them I would be their worst nightmare! Please review it!

My bill with direct tv changed every month also. I dropped services constantly and they edited my basic charges to make sure I was not paying under what they wanted me to pay. They said this was in their contract; and there was a small loophole in it that does allow them to change "basic rates" while in contract. So I was locked in for 3 years and they changed my basic rates about 4 times in 1.5 years of that time.

I just left them and it took over a week to get the stuff to send it all back via the mail. Then they hit my act for $166 final charges in early disconnect fees 15 days after the day I said I wanted to cancel. They said this is in the "contract"...the "contract" for this being that they put on the last bill that they will bill you 15 days after disconnect "for your convenience". THAT IS NOT A CONTRACT...But since I had given them banking payments it opened the gates for them to steal legally from me. I have reversed the charges via my bank. From all of the other posts I have seen, they will try to re-bill me again. I have allotted for that money to be a tug of war match until I get the actual money from Charter whom are buying out my disconnect charges for switching over. This may also be a good option for any of you in the Nv area who have, like me, signed up for a contract with these thugs. If YOU HAVE NOT SIGNED UP WITH DIRECT TV DON"T! TELL ALL OF YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS ABOUT THE CROOKEDNESS OF THIS COMPANY! REPORT THEM TO BBB IF YOU HAVE HAD ISSUES. REVERSE CJARGES THAT MAY BE STOLEN FROM YOUR ACCOUNTS AND PLAN AROUND THEM SO YOU CAN KEEP DOING IT. FIGHT BACK!

FOR YOU, DIRECT TV PERSONNEL: Give me what I want and I will go away. You have stolen from me and lied to me. I want my cancellation fees back for the inconvenience and I want a letter from the CEO saying that you were wrong and apologize that you geared your services and contracts so...and will be fixing the issue for your future business. $166 may not be much to you but it is enough for me to write on all your sites everyday until you do or you go out of business. I am also telling every single person that remotely mentions cable services in my grocery checkout line in a major city that you people are crooks and not to go with your services. Nothing would please me more at the moment than to hear that you have gone out of business for good. Give me what I want and I will go away.

Review by GypsyRN See Profile

• Location: Dayton,Montgomery,OH
Good "Geat service so far...no outages w. rain or thunderstorms so far..."
Bad "nothing to report yet"
Overall "Good deal and better then TWC for TV"
Mail,DNS,News:

I decided to dump TWC for TV.....I did keep Roadrunner 15mbs for 41.00 a month....I called and talked to Direct TV they told me why they were better then Dish that I tried years ago...4 of my neighbors have Direct and all swear by it, not at it. I had trouble w/ Dish and was leery of satellite....I charged ahead and got it....the install went great, took about 90 min to do the HD TV in the den and the HD in my bedroom. I can record 5 channels at one time. Picture quality is great, actually seems a bit more robust then TWC. So far all has gone great. I saved money doing this also, that was the main reason.....the package for my TV and Internet w/ TWC was 208.00/mon....they gave me a deal for 143.00/mon. I know charter is soon to take over this area and was not wanting to have to deal w/ them. Direct TV is 68.00/mon so that saves me some money over all. I do love roadrunner though it is the best internet around here. If I chose to use Uverse I would have to pay 300.00 for installation of DSL and the speeds were not nearly as fast for the money. That is my story and I am sticking to it! for now!

member for 13.9 years, 5705 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Genie

@70.57.94.x

1 recommendation

Directv

I love DIRECTV'S GENIE better than dish's hopper.Because you can only record primetime anytime channels.with DIRECTV'S GENIE you can Record any 5 shows at the same time.GENIE has genies recomonds that recmonds shows for you.hopper dose not do that. i highlyrecmond DIRECTV

Review by donws See Profile

• Location: usa
Bad "Pathetic"
Overall "This is the worst company I have dealt with in my 40 years in business."
Mail,DNS,News:

This company has got to be one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. They lie to you about programming, your bill is never the same from month to month. The customer reps have to be from India because you can't understand them. I am on social security and have sent them several letter regarding my concerns about programming in billings. I received nothing but threats and late notices from these jerks. Finally they turned it over to a collection because I wouldn't honor their terms and agreement. The scumbags turned the collection over to a collections agency which intern went against my credit rating. I am contacting the Better Business Bureau and attorney general with my complaint as well. I would never recommend this company to anyone. They are liars and thieves.

Comments:
donws

join:2014-04-21
usa
·DIRECTV

This is the worst company I have dealt with in my 40 years in business."

Bad "Pathetic"
Overall " ity:

Horrible Ser

@207.118.128.x

Re: This is the worst company I have dealt with in my 40 years in business."

Direct TV is HORRIBLE! Customer service is the worst I had ever dealt with. They push for you to upgrade when you tell them no. They charge for early cancellation fee when I was a customer for 5 years. But because I upgraded last year they started the agreement over again. That is how they get you. I spoke to one rep and a supervisor (Heidi and Brittany) kept pushing for more expensive packages. would not listen to me the customer. They do NOT value their customers!
They threatened me to pay the disconnect fee or will send me to collection. I have no written contract they "said" it was verbal. This is bullshit. Please think twice about dealing with direct TV. They will screw you over and then do it again.

cathybeth

@184.95.124.x

So sad

I had two rep's log off on me when I took two seconds to ask my husband if a $3.50 up charge would be ok. Rude people and just want to get off to get the next sale. Sticking with dish

Taewon

@148.150.0.x

Re: So sad

Direct TV is worst ever in my life. they overcharged me and said they would correct next month but I have to pay if I call. then next month repeat it again. don't even think about having their service EVER!

Review by Edward 7 See Profile

Good "IT WAS REALLY MY LACK OF COMMUNICATING THAT CAUSED THE PROBLEM"
Mail,DNS,News:

I would advise customer to keep a line of communication open with Direct TV. I failed to do so caused Direct TV to debit my account without my authorization. That's when they got my attention. But by the Grace of the Good Lord Direct TV have credit part of my money back. But I am still in a pending status for the overwhelming over draft affect it had on my bank account. I believe Direct TV will do the right thing and clear up those bank issues as well.

I am a satisfied customer and I was wrong in my lack of communication. But I felt Direct could have spared me the bank domino affect that occurred. But overall Direct is a Great Company and the Customer Service Rep was very kind and caring. Peace and Amen

A Satisfied Customer'
Edward L.

Comments:

Cuteness

@108.235.211.x

Direct TV

I can not say they are like any other company I know. They are scammers and now how to say everything is taken care of to find out they made it worse. You get nothing you wanted and everything they eant you to have to end up paying hundreds for it. Shame on Direct TV... Tired of hearing their commercials... Lies Lies Lies

Still lookin

Direct tv

Wow, I am so glad I came to this site, thanks to all for your reviews! I was about to order direct tv and thought I would google their reviews and whoa, sounds like the kind of company I wanna stay away from!
Sorry to all those who got screwed by them but thanks for taking the time to warn others.

Mari AZ

@204.43.204.x

Re: Direct tv

Yes' I am one of those who should have read this before I got involved with this company. I started in January and only paid the price they quoted me once the other bills are totally different now they are charging me an additional 48 dollars for premium channels, I immediately took them off. I am so stupid not to have read the these REVIEWS! Now comparing this company with DISH, I should have kept DISH.

CopaAz

@70.57.106.x

Re: Direct tv

Dish is absolutely horrible!! Direct is the way to go. Call and cancel the extra stuff and you will find yourself at a very reasonable price.

Taewon

@148.150.0.x

Re: Direct tv

I don't agree at all as I have absolutely opposite experience.
You will never be able to get the bill as promised

Review by Mike1000 See Profile

• Location: Munster,Lake,IN
Bad "Bad"
Mail,DNS,News:

They charged my credit card without my authorization, I never allowed them to charge my credit card, but they kept my credit card number in file and charged it without my authorization. It is nothing but stealing money from somebody's account, I don't know why someone within the justice system does not go after them because I read in the review they have done with other people too. They are just crooks and they will do it unless they are brought to justice.

I just read the following review about DirecTV in google.com search for their rating with other consumer rating. I hope this also be added to my review:

These people got into my bank account unauthorized. I didn't sign up for automatic bill pay and come to add up my bills, they have been charging me 2x's a month the last 6 months. So, e-mailed 20/20 to explain full story so if any of you have had problems with Direct as I seen on many reviews, please send to 20/20 and your local news channel. They are scammers and big rip offs.

I read the following on the search engine the one who wrote says that he worked for Direct TV. So as you see they keep credit card number on their file and charge you without you authorize them:

I used to work for them. The truth is without a credit check, it is impossible for the representative to tell you how much you will pay. As an example if your credit is horrible, then you will pay a 200 fee and get only standard receivers. However, if you would tell me that your credit score was excellent, and if this was truly the case, I could always quote you the actual price without a credit check. We were asked to run a credit check because that is how they feel they have you. You are now invested. It is easier to close the sale. We were reprimanded if we did not get you past credit check. The only reason why DirecTV asks for a credit card is they want one on file in case you cancel and do not return equipment. They will go into your account and take the money out. I could not do this job anymore. I felt like I was lying to people and would get in trouble if I gave out too much information.

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Doesn't add up

How did they get your credit card information if you never authorized them to charge it?

join:2014-01-06

Re: Doesn't add up

I had DirecTV and the quality of their product is middling with long outages when thunderstorms arrive in the summer.
But their Customer NO Service is what stands out the most.
In general the CSRs in every department are rude, obnoxious, arrogant, deceptive, and petulant as well. It is as if they are doing you a favor by answering your call.
When I went to cancel my service once my contract had ended the retention CSR I spoke to was outrageous and the absolute worst CSR I have ever dealt with in ANY consumer business.
When I told the jerk to cancel my service he kept asking me what it would take for me to stay, he put me on hold for 20 minutes and of course said they could not meet my requirements. Again I said cancel. He then tried to threaten me by claiming I had many PPVs on my account that I hadn't paid for. Nonsense I told him there was ONE PPV that was accidentally ordered (10 months earlier) and had called that day to have them note it in my account, that was it. Finally the drone canceled my account.

I was so disturbed by the interaction with that idiot CSR that I wrote CEO mike white a certified return receipt letter outlining the horrid experience. Almost two weeks went by before I finally received the signed postal receipt but never heard ANY response from Mr. White's office.

That is why I will NEVER EVER purchase DirecTV again!
jm13269

join:2011-11-10
Santa Fe Springs, CA

Re: Doesn't add up

Anyone who is fed up with DirecTV listen. If you want to CANCEL SERVICE, BEFORE YOU DO, CALL YOUR BANK AND HAVE THEM SEND YOU OUT A NEW CARD, TELL THEM YOU LOST IT. SINCE THE CARD IS NO LONGER VALID, DIRECTV CAN'T RAID YOUR BANK ACCOUNT. This is what I did when I got fed up with their BS. I refuse to pay for services poor or non rendered. I will not pay a TERMINATION FEE period! Screw you DIRECTV !

People Read

@bellsouth.net
Because when you pay your bill online the option to keep your card bumber stored is there, and if you click it then it keeps the card number on file. Also on the same page is the "enroll in autobill pay" that is automatically saved as the option and if you do not uncheck the box that is what happens. You have to pay close attention when payint DTV online, the same as AT&T they pull the same tricks. But if someone just went there and didn't read all the screams carefully the first time that is what happens at set up. It isn't "stealing" it is a case of they set the options to the way they want it done and then someone didn't pay close attention when they set up their account and just like when the box of "Read and Agree to the Terms" came up, I guarantee no one read that either and agreed to the terms, which allows them to keep your card on file and bill it monthly on Autopay, which is all in that agreement box too, and careful reading would have prevented this. Don't blame DTV for the fact that someone agreed to allowing them to do this because they didn't take time to read what they agreed to and this person shouldn't call it "stealing" they should tell the truth and say "I just ddidn't agree and clicked through the information screens and blindly entered my credit card without knowing what I was doing.

Re: Doesn't add up

I am sure I did not let them auto bill, and I was paying my bill myself every month, but when I cancelled my account they went and charge my account without my authorization, I did not have contract with them because when I got direct TV everything was on the roof and they told me since everything is on the roof you don't need to have any contract for certain time. But when I called them they told me everybody is under contract. They are crooks and they are doing it to so many people, I don't know why you are defending them I am sure I never authorized auto bill pay there was never a large text to read, are you working for them?

join:2014-03-29
If you authorize them one time to charge for one single month. they keep your card info in their file and later charage you without authorization. Than is what happened to me with Directv.

·DIRECTV
The following I read on goole.com search:

Gary K

DirectTV Rejection of Time Warner Cable L.A. Dodgers Network-Stand Tough

I have been with DirectTV for sometime now and I agree totally that DirectTV should not give in to Time Warner Cable to add the SportsNetLA network that carries the Dodgers...I love the Dodgers and have been a fan since the Koufax and Drysdale era...However, the new owners of the Dodgers are clones of Frank McCourt...All they are interested in is making money for themselves and the ballplayers at the expense of those who put people in the seats and buy the stuff at the ballpark...Do not give in to these Creed demands by Time Warner Cable...Todays, L.A. Times Sports shows that the Cable people are fend up with paying higher cost for a specific network at the cost of it's subcribers...Thank you, DirectTV for staying strong against paying this higher Creed fee to the Time Warner Cable people who sold their common sense when signing up to represent the SportNetTV Dodgers station...Go DirectTV...

join:2014-01-06

The criminality starts at the top of this shady operation called DirecTV.

The problem is that the top executives APPROVE of the policies and behavior of
their CSRs. I am certain that CEO Mike White knows darn well about the
questionable and possibly borderline criminal behavior of the company.

The fact that I wrote a return receipt requested letter directly to his office, and they DID receive that communication from me detailing the outrageous and threatening behavior, yet NO ONE from his office would even offer so much as a apology, and or an offer to look into the incident for me constitutes approval by Mr. White and his underlings.

DirecTV CEO Mr White, go **** yourself.
larry

join:2014-04-16
usa

liars

told me my final bill would be 62.99,got my bill its 83.44,when i got my 1st bill it says communications service tax 10.93,what the hell is this ,when i called they said its like a sales tax,,sales tax is 7percent ,this is like 14percent,i asked who gets this money,no answer,its a frikin scam tax,,i also had to switch my internet to centurylink for 19.99,when i got my estimate online it says 41.94 not 19.99 and this is before taxes,so who knows how much this final bill will be,to many hiddin charges my nightmare has just began
join:2012-06-11

Re: liars

Interesting you had this same experience as I did, they placed some tax on the service that was far and above the 6% that is the norm here on ANY product, I called and the obnoxious and difficult to understand hispanic CSR tried to claim it is a SC tax but there is NO such tax at all, my guess is DirecTV is trying to recover some of the discount they initially offer on their service to you. I pushed and the women became annoyed and hung up on me.

Yes, DirecTV is a shady, crooked company.

@larry:

why not send a return receipt requested snail mail to the
head crook, CEO mike white, and post back the response to your issues.

Review by mnmramirez See Profile

• Location: usa

I started with Direct TV in August 2013.

1st, I had a plan that should have been $24.95 but I was getting billed $29.95. It took a few months to get a credit for that,

2nd, I did not get my bundle package discount of $10.

I have been calling them every month since about October about the bundle discount that I did not receive. I have had 2 or 3 reps tell me they are expediting the refund. Today I find out that it does not show I ever had a bundle request put in. I was on my cell with them for over 30 minutes while the supervisor reviewed the account AGAIN. She told me the refund was already done and I should it expect it on my next bill. They are doing a one time credit for the year of $120. I guess I have to wait and see what the bill comes to next month. Not happy with the service they have provided me.(in ref to billing) Having to call each month and go through the whole story each time.

I will not recommend any one to them because I do not want them to go through the same thing.

Comments:

Ddddmcsp

@67.121.239.x

Worst company I've ever dealt with!

Ditto to other comments. Promised 1st yr $24.95/mo. Never happened, was $35, then $45 then $55 & $65 first year. After 1st yr went up to $73/mo. Have called every month to correct bill or programming. The "customer service" reps are horrible!! Called today to cancel they threatened me with 24 month contract! Ha! Contract is mutually binding agreement which here $$ in exchange for agreed service. Direct is not fulfilling their end of contract so if anyone is not fulfilling the agreement it's them. I've paid more than agreed amt each month for less service. No more stopped payment with bank & credit card!

Review by Labyert See Profile

• Location: Estherville,Emmet,IA
Bad "Horrible company!!"
Mail,DNS,News:

I started with Direct TV in 2013. I was told for one year my bill would be 61.98 the following year would only go up $10 for receivers. After 2 months with this company I get a bill of $300 they said it's "how their billing cycle works" to be charged over 3 months. Told me I would receive credits on my next three bills. They messed up my credits every month. I had called them with every month bill in the last year with mistakes. 6 months ago I agrees to pay 4 payments of 44.99 for Sunday Ticket. I've now paid 6 months and they are telling me there was nothing in my notes to only have it for 4 months. Now my year is up and I'm getting charged double. Multiple times I've asked for a manager and they tell me they don't have one. I've never been so unhappy or cheated from a company in my life. JOKE of a company.

Comments:

BigRedCheese

@156.110.24.x

Curious

I have Cox Cable in my area, I've been with them for years. Currently I'm being charged 69.00 a month for "expanded" basic cable, I don't have HD, no movie channels, no DVR, just what seems to me to be a very basic package. About 60 channels or so, of which I watch AMC, A&E, CNN, occasionally, a show or two, and the news channel when a big story breaks; gave up on History because of all the reality programming. That price seems high to me, even if I regularly watch most of the channels, only watching one or two cable programs, it seems insanely high.

Recently, at Walmart, a Direct TV rep offered me a deal for 35.00 a month, "for as long as I have Direct TV." Coming with a free DVR, free installation, yada, yada, yada. It's very tempting, but I decided to research it before taking the bait, and now I have found all these horror stories about overcharging, hiding things in long contracts, etc.

My sister had Dish, and after watching what she went through with that, Dish is not an option for me, but she switched back to Direct and seems to be happy with it. But all these stories are giving me pause, this isn't the only place I've seen horror stories like this about Direct.

I'm wondering if I should roll the dice and try it, or if I should just forget it, and continue to pay the kings ransom for a handful of shows I do like to see as they come out. Maybe I just want to be talked out of it, lol. Do you think I should try and negotiate a better deal with Cox, or is that a waste of time? I would appreciate some good advice from either end of the issue.

two_Amandas

@216.145.95.x

Re: Curious

Well I'm not sure yet about long-term but I can tell you that we just had DirecTv service installed in our home today. 2 TV's connected, a Genie DVR Recorder, Mini-Genie DVR Recorder for the 2nd TV, super fast installation-less than 24 hours after subscribing by phone we had a very efficient & well-mannered technicion at our home installing our new system, a $100 Visa gift card, and a 12-month price discount of $65.99 for all HD Ultimate Package-all of this cost only $21.01. That's all. Of course they want you to do auto-pay, which is fine with me. This includes On Demand & DirecTv Cinema, & many other neat little things. I know that my price will go up after the 12-month period. The package will then cost $81.99 I believe , or a number very close to it. So, I know that I'm VERY pleased with everything so far, I hope to feel this way throughout my relationship with DirecTV!

storegirl122

Re: Curious

I have just finished the first year with DirecTV. My bill went from $68 to $110. I called DirecTV and had my package reduced and now i will be paying $81. I will be so glad when I fulfill this 24 month agreement so I can cancel and explore other options. On my bill this month there was a note that next month I would be charged $39.99 for MLB extra innings and if i didn't want to be charged i needed to cancel by April 9th. DirecTV is one big scam!!!
shrraga

join:2012-07-22

I doubt that you will pay that low... I have 4 tvs connected, with the bottom tier programming (entertainment) and HBO. My monthly bill is $118 a month. We have 1 basic DVR (not genie or tivo) and 3 HD recievers (which... yeah... use around $25/ month worth of power combined...). Directv keeps adding NFL Sunday ticket to our bill even though we've unsubscribed 15 times now.

Oh, Amandas, make sure you cancel the premium movie channels trial that comes with all new sign ups (and requires you to call, no canceling on the website) or your bill will go up by... I think it was $40?

join:2014-03-29
Wait, until you see their true face. Until then enjoy it.

Bruno

@198.73.28.x
Do not get Direct Tv. They tell you whatever you want to hear to get you roped into the contract. It is a very lousy service and the customer service reps are terrible. Stick with what you have or anything else!

FLridaPhilly

@cox.net
I have canceled my DirecTV after having them for 3 years. I have to say that I was extremely happy with them. No problems with the service or the billing whatsoever. Before having DirecTV I had Dish for one month. WHAT A DISASTER! They promised all kinds of this and that...including the monthly bill. EVERYTHING they said was a lie. They wanted to charge me the money for an entire year when I told them to stick it. I canceled my debit card that they had initially used and told them to go ahead and take me to court! Never heard another word from them! I only quit getting DirecTV because I don't watch TV enough to warrant 100 bucks a month and really couldn't afford it. NOT because of anything they did or didn't do. I bought an outdoor antenna and get several stations. That coupled with Netflix and Hulu Plus, I get to watch as much as I did for $100. Also, if you go to the network's websites you can watch full episodes of their programs.
Free TV....can't beat it!
stridr69

join:2003-05-19
San Luis Obispo, CA

Re: Curious

Actually the "networks" are going to the requirement of one having at least a basic cable/satellite service these days. No more "free ride". Like the recent Olympic Games on NBC.

Lisa RI

@cox.net
I am also a Cox customer and pay 170.00 a month for a bundle with HBO. I've been with them for years and come April I'm going to find some other service and get rid of my phone. Cox is way too expensive!!

Dee13

DO NOT get DirectTv

I hate DirecTv so much. It doesn't work when it is raining, snowing, or even SUNNY (I swear I got a memo on my TV saying interference with the sun). So half the time I don't get a picture and the rest of the time it's all pixelated and the words don't match with their mouths, it's so frustrating. I live in an apartment and other people's cable is working but mine isn't. Strange. They said they'd send out a technician, ONE WEEK LATER. So I have to wait a week to watch freaking TV and they told me if it's not a dish related issue they will charge me $75 so I gave them a piece of my mind and expect a credit the moment the guy comes out here and fixes whatever is wrong with this horrible device.
This is only one of my many problems.
Don't get it you WILL be disappointed.

Anon123

@comcast.net

Do not get Directv

I got directv in August of 2012 along with internet to be bundled through AT&T... It was ok for a while... then our neighbor got directv and when they came to install it, they put a splitter on our line going to our dish to hook his up and our reception was horrible. I called numerous times with no results. Even another Directv tech told us they were supposed to put it on the dish itself instead of splitting our line. Anyway, then they "gave " us the movies for 3 months "free" -- adding them to the bill then subtracting them out-- but even after I called they kept on adding them in. I wound up getting a bill for 195.00 when my original bill was 81.00. Ridiculous!! I canceled my service. I had enough! Then one person said the cancellation fee was $100. When I got the final bill, it was 175.00... PLEASE WATCH OUT!!! THEY WILL SCAM YOU ANY WAY THEY CAN!

Review by ValkyrieZero See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "Good service so far, good customer service"
Bad "Glitch in their system over my gift card"
Overall "It's better than TWC and Dish. "
Mail,DNS,News:

I finally got sick and tired of paying Time Warner $200 a month for my 3 services and their terrible customer service that you see so many complain about. Their service has not been very reliable since they took over Insight Communications. I never had any issues with Insight but when Time Warner came and took over the service took a nosedive.

I saw that DTV was having a pretty decent offer for the 1st year and even after that their prices seem reasonable but I guess I'll see in a year. And they are even throwing a $100 Visa gift card. I ordered on Wednesday and the installer came on Friday. The installer was really nice and informative and did a great job. The picture from the dish is great so far as well and the box is pretty too lol.

My only complaint was when I went to redeem my rebate for the gift card it said I wasn't eligible even though I was and followed all the protocols to a T. I contacted customer service and was respectful towards the woman and she was respectful right back to me and escalated my issue to higher management and told me they will contact me via email or phone. Not even 24 hours later I received an email saying I will be receiving my card in 2-4 weeks.

So I was impressed it was resolved quickly. Now if I don't see my card in 2-4 weeks then I might change my tune. My family has DTV and they have had no problems whatsoever.