Dish Network page on DSLReports

Review by nwhite46 See Profile

• Location: Ada,Kent,MI
Bad "WORD OF THE WISEÖDONíT EVER USE DISH SERVICES!!! "
Mail,DNS,News:

WORD OF THE WISE…DON’T EVER USE DISH SERVICES!!! This is possibly the WORST customer service I have EVER experienced!! I chose to shop out different cable providers after my Comcast bill had proven to be too high. After talking to a Dish representative for over an hour and a half and expressing my concerns (my husband’s job potentially relocating us to the city, breaking contract, etc.) it sounded like Dish was the right move. WRONG!! I have only had this cable provider for UNDER a month and found out we’d be moving our family from Michigan to Boston. Yes, of course they can move your cable services for you to Boston… but not when you are living in a building that DOES NOT allow a DISH satellite. I called DISH to express my concerns. I spoke to Alex first who really couldn’t help me, since this issue was beyond his scope.

Next, I was transferred to Frank. Frank was an “account specialist.” He went on to tell me that regardless if the building doesn’t allow DISH and these are extenuating circumstances he could not help me and that I’d be charged a $460.00 cancellation fee. I was misled by the initial sales guy who sold me DISH services, I had expressed my concerns, but not once did he mention a HUGE cancellation fee!! All he wanted was the sale! Frank continued to tell me there was nothing he could do… isn’t he an account specialist?! He then went on to belittle me, acting as if I didn’t know what a “contract” was. Yes, I understand a contract…. And in this case, it’s very similar to a lease. If you sign a 12mo. Lease and break it midway through, you forfeit your security deposit or one month’s rent… not normally the entirety of the balance of the lease. I went on to ask for someone above Frank, who may be able to help me. Transferred to a supervisor, CJ.

I talk to CJ, express the same thing I had told both Alex and Frank, for him to tell me, “I’m sorry, you’re in a contract and the cancellation fee is $460. There is nothing I can do.” How is it that there is nobody who can do anything in this entire company?? I feel as if I were tricked into this contract and that the initial sales guy never properly enlightened me on what would happen if I were to move to a place that did not allow a DISH satellite (or any satellite for that fact.) The worst part about this is.... I did ask in the event if we had to move, what would happen!

DISH TV will lose more than $460 out of this issue…. Not only will I NEVER use DISH TV again… but, I will never recommend it to anyone!!! This was some of the worst customer service, with not even a tad of empathy or support from the DISH TV representatives/staff. If you think you’re saving yourself money by switching to DISH… do yourself a favor and don’t switch! Awful, Awful. Oh, and did I mention… On Super Bowl Sunday when I had 60 people at our house for a party, one of our boxes was failing to work and not getting a signal?! Talk about an inconvenience!!

Comments:

matt

@wideopenwest.com

No DISH for me then

That is terribly greedy on their part. The reason I came to this site was to investigate alternatives, including satellite.

I just scratched DISH off my short list!

jgkolt
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

dish

That's too bad you are having issues. I was curious why your new place wouldn't allow dish. In ohio at least landlords have to allow dish and direct tv to be used and the landlord can't restrict it.

Review by Badonkadonk See Profile

• Location: Naperville,Du Page,IL
Good "Great picture quality. Hopper with Sling is very convenient."
Bad "On demand isn't great but has improved from 2 years ago. Parental controls still lacking."
Overall "Worth the money and better value than Comcast and better whole home DVR."

On 22nd December I switched from Comcast to Dish Networks. Based on the their promotional pricing for the first two years, I save over Comcast. So far it's gone well. I chose their 200 channel package.

Installation - The installer came on the day he was scheduled. It took approximately 8 hours to do the complete installation. He had to run quite a bit of new cable since my home network is MOCA based. He had to do three new drops, but charged us for only one. The two networks are completely separate so there are no problems at all in terms of interference. The physical dish itself was placed in a very inconspicuous spot behind the chimney so it can't be seen from the front or side of the house. And even from the back, it's not terribly noticeable.

Hardware - We ordered and received 2 Hoppers (whole home DVRs) and 6 Joeys (remote terminals). Each Hopper has three tuners. In all, eight TVs are being serviced. All TVs can access content from all DVRs. It's very convenient. The Joey remote units are about the size of the older cable company DTAs (about the size of a cable modem). The Hoppers are about the same size as a cable company DVR. The system uses RF remote controls instead of IR, which is very convenient. Apparently, although not necessarily mentioned by Dish, a third Hopper and three additional Joeys can be added if needed. Cableguys forums has more information. The system also has remote locators in case you can't find what you did with the remote. The remotes themselves feel fine in the hands, although I think the Comcast and WOW remotes have better layouts.

The DVR has a 1TB hard drive for storing general programming. In addition, it has a 1TB storage area for storing prime time programming. If you watch network primetime shows, the Hopper lets you record all 4 network shows using a single tuner during the primetime hours. It will store 8 days worth of Primetime Anytime programming. If you want to keep the show longer, then you can store it onto the general programming disk space. An external drive up to 2TB may also be added via USB port.

Service and Support - Don't know. We haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood). But I hear that Dish S&S is not going to win any awards anytime soon.

Programming. On demand sucks. It's basically a video streaming service that uses your internet connection. Since I have a 50/15 internet service from Comcast, the videos load quickly and play smoothly. I don't know how it would be on slower connections. Fast forwarding is mostly out of the question. But the real issue here is that the programming choices are terrible. Very limited. But there are plenty of channels from which to choose, so we don't miss it too much. I liked Fearnet on Comcast, which I miss (even though it really wasn't that great).

Maybe it's my imagination, but the picture quality on Dish seems better than on Comcast.

Also, the parental control choices seem good at first, but they actually suck for movies that have been edited for viewing on TV. For example, an R rated Movie may be reclassified as a TV-14 program when shown on a regular cable channel. However, both classifications continue to apply to the show. So, if you want to restrict actual R movies but allow the PG-14 versions to be shown, it's impossible. The parental controls will lock out the PG-14 version.

Summary. Worth the money for now. I don't know what my feelings will be in two years as Comcast ups its game.

1/26/2015 Update

Reupped with Dish. We liked the service and no one in the family wanted to switch. Dish also basically gave us the same price as we got when we first signed up--minus the $150 cash rebate card.

member for 14.2 years, 6542 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tasteen2000 See Profile

• Location: Ozark,Christian,MO
Good "Works from midnightish to 7 or 8 in the morning."
Bad "1% to 7% advertised bandwidth speed of UP TO 10Mbps (key phrase: UP TO)"
Overall "For God's sake don't do it!!!!"
Mail,DNS,News:

I signed up for the most expensive and fastest internet package (15 gigs anytime/15 gigs off-peak for a total of 30 gigs) Dish/Hughes offers. It costs $89.99 a month with modem rental. Found that between the hours (approximately 7am to midnight) my bandwidth was 100 kilobits to 700 kilobits per second or 1% to 7% advertised speed. Called and complained 3 different times. A tech was sent out each time. The first tech fiddled with dish. Didn't help. Second tech replaced outside line. Didn't help. The third and final time they sent out a field manager who stood in my living room and said, and I quote, "Dish over-advertises their internet service and Dish internet may not be for us. Dish, actually, Hughesnet routes all of their internet signals through a single satellite and throttles." I called AGAIN to complain and was told that the bandwidth speed was UP TO 10 Mbps. I asked if that claim was a bit disingenuous and they didn't have much to say to that.

Comments:

slcauthen

@98.245.145.x

Dish Network Customer Service

They just won't get it I don't want their DAM service...and they call. I made one mistake on asking about their pricing...and they call. I had three family members killed in a car accident and told them to leave me alone...I did not want to be bothered by them especially at this time and they keep calling. I ask for a supervisor he assures me my number has been removed and they call and they call and they call....on and on and on.
I would not have this service if they gave it to me free for life! Today I advised them that I am going to the FCC...I have collected my cell phone log for the last THREE months, highlighted their calls, when I asked the supervisor to remove me and today's call. I advised the gentleman who answered that if they call me just one more time I am turning them into the FCC and I will. I have blocked their numbers and still they call advising them I was turning them in...GOD give me a rest...I will make sure that everyone I talk to knows how much this company sucks.....and I will post it on my face book to share with 1600 other folks as well as my professional network...I will tell them my story.... to BE WARE of DISH!! My tech told me they sucked...their reviews says they suck...so I wanted no part of them....now they are cramming it down my throat!
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

Re: Dish Network Customer Service

All Internet over satellite stinks regardless if it is Dish branded or not.What it goes for the TV with Dish i have had them for years with hardly any complaint to mention

Review by dad2max See Profile

• Location: Cranston,Providence,RI
Good "started out inexpensive"
Bad "price kept rising, reception got worse"
Overall "won't let you go"

------=_Part_73836_1908354619.1414588401012
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Had Dish Network for 2 years. =C2=A0The reception problems got so bad we de=
cided to drop themand go back to OTA, just an antennae. =C2=A0Then sent us =
boxes to ship the stuff back. =C2=A0We=C2=A0would ship it back the day we g=
ot the box. =C2=A0 Direct would say it was not received backso would trace =
it thru UPS and let them know who signed for it. =C2=A0They would then admi=
tto having it, but would need another part sent part and the process starte=
d over.=C2=A0Finally got all the parts back, no more calls and final bill p=
aid. =C2=A06 months later=C2=A0started receiving mail from them asking to c=
ome back, only 1 every 2 months. =C2=A0 Afteranother 6 months called them a=
nd asked to be taken off their mailing list since we=C2=A0would never go ba=
ck. =C2=A0After the call got mailings every week. =C2=A0Sent them an e-mail=
after2 months of that. =C2=A0Now I got 2 mailings a week. =C2=A0Have calle=
d them several times and stillget 2 per week. =C2=A0Don't go to them since =
they will never let you go.

------=_Part_73836_1908354619.1414588401012
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Had Dish Network for 2 years.  The reception problems got so bad=
we decided to drop themand go back to OTA, just an antennae.  Then sent =
us boxes to ship the stuff back.  We would ship it back the day we g=
ot the box.   Direct would say it was not received backso would trace i=
t thru UPS and let them know who signed for it.  They would then admit=
to =
having it, but would need another part sent part and the process started ov=
er. Finally got all the parts back, no more calls and final bill paid. &n=
bsp;6 months later started receiving mail from them asking to come back, =
only 1 every 2 months.   Afteranother 6 months called them and asked to b=
e taken off their mailing list since we would never go back.  After =
the call got mailings every week.  Sent them an e-mail after2 months of t=
hat.  Now I got 2 mailings a week.  Have called them several time=
s and stillget 2 per week.  Don't go to them since they will never let yo=
u go.
------=_Part_73836_1908354619.1414588401012--

Comments:

Review by bmetelsky See Profile

• Location: Elyria,Lorain,OH
Good "Excellent service and equipment!"
Bad "Nothing so far."
Overall "Great service and better equipment than I had with Directv."

·DIRECTV
UPDATE: 7/26/14 - Left DISH early to go back to Directv. Price was going up and Directv made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Wish they would have done that prior to me leaving because of their unwillingness to negotiate cost at the end of my contract with them. No real problems with the DISH system, but am liking the Genie better than the Hopper.

This review is a bit late as I had the install done in February, 2013. I was a Directv customer coming off of a 2 year contract and Directv was unwilling to negotiate their cost for an out-of-contract customer. I went with DISH because I enjoyed the satellite service from Directv for 4 years and don't think that I could ever go back to cable.

I ordered on-line around 11:45pm on a Thursday night and they were able to install two days later. The install went great, most of the wiring was already present. The installer even removed the dish from the other satellite company at my request (it looked gaudy sitting right next to the new dish). The installer brought a Hopper w/Sling and one Joey. There were no problems with installation and the service was up and running within 2.5 hours of the technicians arrival time.

The service has been great, with no real issues. The equipment is awesome. I love the Hopper! It works so much better than the HR-23 and HR-24 that I had with Directv. Don't get me wrong, the other service and equipment was good, this is just better, in my opinion. Operation of the Hopper and Joey just seem so much smoother.

I am getting close to the point where the cost will go up (nearing year two of the two year commitment). I will post again if there are any updates in between now and the end of the contract. Also - we will see how willing DISH is at the end of the two years, to keep me as a satisfied customer.

member for 9.4 years, 3624 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dkim1961 See Profile

• Location: Coalgate,Coal,OK
Good "Good channel selection, Hopper, Dishanywhere"
Bad "Poor Customer Service"
Overall "If you can deal with the bad customer service, Dish is pretty decent"

·HughesNet Satell..
I had Dish two years ago and hated it because my credit did not qualify me for the hopper which meant I did not have a DVR. I was really upset about this and filed a BBB complaint. Dish immediately responded and allowed me out of the contract. Now my credit is better and I did qualify for the Hopper! I love it!!!! With Dish anywhere I can access cable tv from my computer or tablet! Literally I can watch tv on my laptop or tablet just like I was sitting at home in front of my tv. In order for that to work you need to have the hopper plugged into your internet. I travel a lot and I love being able to watch my recorded DVR shows OR watch my Dish programming no matter where I am so long as I have access to high speed internet. I have even been known to watch a show or two at Starbucks!

Whether you have satellite or regular cable tv.. the one thing they all have in common as that they are way over priced. However, I do feel that Dish is an honest company and my personal experience has shown that they do respond to customer complaints. If you do not get anywhere with customer service, then lodge a BBB complaint. They WILL respond!

Comments:

Review by dishfraud See Profile

• Location: Sedona,Yavapai,AZ
Overall "Criminals"

I SIGNED UP WITH DISH, MOVING FROM DIRECT TV BECAUSE THEIR BASIC SERVICE WAS CHEAPER THAN DIRECT TV (19.95/MONTH), EXPLAINING SEVERAL TIMES THAT MY ONLY INTEREST WAS IN PBS, AND ONLY PBS, AS I HAVE NO INTEREST IN SPORTS, MOVIES, SPECIALS, OR ANY OF THE OTHER JUNK WHATSOEVER. IN ORDER NOT TO HAVE TO MESS WITH BILLS I FOOLISHLY SIGNED UP FOR AUTO PAY ON MY AMEX ACCOUNT, ASSUMING THAT I WAS DEALING WITH A REPUTABLE COMPANY THAT ADHERED TO NORMAL, ETHICAL BUSINESS PRACTICES. I RECENTLY REALIZED THAT I HADN'T WATCH EVEN AN HOUR A MONTH, AND THAT "MASTERPIECE THEATER" AND "MYSTERY" (MY MAIN INTERESTS) ARE AVAILABLE ONLINE, I DECIDED TO CANCEL MY ACCOUNT ALTOGETHER, AND WAS ASTONISHED TO LEARN THAT MY DISH ACCOUNT HAD BEEN "UPGRADED" IN 2010, WITHOUT MY CONSENT, KNOWLEDGE, OR DESIRE, TO A "HIGHER" SERVICE WHICH INCLUDED HBO, SPORTS CHANNELS, AND ALL OTHER MANNERS OF JUNK THAT I HAD IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS EXPLAINED THAT I HAD NO INTEREST IN , AND THAT DISH HAD EXTRACTED $105,35 A MONTH FROM MY AMEX ACCOUNT SINCE 2010!!!! SO FOR 53 MONTHS DISH HAS FRAUDULENTLY EXTRACTED MORE THAN $85.00 MORE THAN I HAD AGREED TO, FROM MY AMEX ACCOUNT FOR "SERVICE" THAT I DIDN'T WANT, AGREE TO, OR USED! THIS IS FRAUD, PLAIN AND SIMPLE, AND ANYONE WHO BEHAVES IN THIS MANNER BELONGS IN JAIL!!

Comments:
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

This is funny

You are here to complain and tell us that you have paid them an extra $85/month or so for ~3 YEARS and never noticed/did anything about it.Maybe you should hire someone that can take care of your finances as you obviously is not capable of doing it yourself.Who's to blame here.............

bmetelsky
join:2005-10-16
Elyria, OH

Re: This is funny

No kidding. The poster never looked at a DISH bill or his AMEX bill in all that time. Sounds fishy to me.
adrenatek

join:2014-06-11
·Charter

Re: This is funny

to OP:

1. NEVER sign up for auto-pay
2. how did it take you so long to notice this?
3. I am on Dish's "welcome pack" which is $19.99 a month and so long as you buy your own receiver this is the regular price and does not change unless you initiate the change. it's also prepaid so if you decide you don't need it one month just don't pay the bill and it's off. pay the bill and it comes back on. couldn't be any simpler.

Review by isp10002 See Profile

• Location: Burbank,Wayne,OH
Good "Great selection of channels, available everywhere, Alot of HD channels"
Bad "Bad phone support, losing signal during storms, Overpriced Equipment."
Overall "Great service, great selection of channels, expensive in some areas."
Mail,DNS,News:

I have had dish since I moved in 7 years ago, and service is great. I have the top 200 package from them and have 2 receivers which are both the vip 722k, my monthly bill from them is about $100 dollars a month which I think is alot just for two receivers. The only time the TV gos out is when there is a bad storm, or if there are a lot of clouds above the satellite dish. I plan on staying with dish in till I move. There block buster and on demand isn't that great really and it costs 6 dollar for a on demand movie which is a bit high really. I have my hd tv connected to the 722k and the picture quality is great. The bad item is you can't connect the second tv through hd, For that you would have to get the hopper, which I'm not going to fish $200 dollars out of my pocket for. I noticed dish does not have alot of hd channels, they are only on the major channels. I have had one incident when we replaced our old standard definition tv to a hd tv, and the remote wouldn't work at all, we called dish and the tech said it's probably a problem with the remote, we argued over the phone about this and the tech would not send out a tech out, so after arguing a I had no choice but to let them ship me the new remotes, it took 2 weeks for the remotes to get to me and guess what the tech was Wrong! We had to use the receiver buttons to navigate through the channels for 2 weeks. So we called them out again and sent them back the remotes, the person on the phone said, they would send a tech out in a few days people (sigh), so a few days later the tech came and moved the antenna around and put some lines on splitters, and that fixed the problem after waiting 3 weeks almost, never listen to those people on the phone, but so far the service from dish has been great. I would recommend dish to people who can't get cable.

Update: We recently upgraded to the Hopper Dvr system. So far i am very thrilled with it. Bad thing is the equipment fees are alot, im paying 15$ more each month then when i had the 722k. If you are willing to pay some extra money for a great dvr and pretty good service with alot of hd channels, go for dish. We have 1 hopper, 3 joeys for 4 tvs, when we used to have the 722k we had 2 Recievers for 4 tvs. The hopper equipment has alot of features on it and has a great UI, when we used to have the old 722k we had only a few Hd channels. Now for some reason 80% of the channels now are HD. Dish has proved them selves with this dvr, its worth the money if you want to spend quite a bit of money for good service. We pay about 120$ now when we used to pay $105.

Install: The tech was very nice and polite, and told us everything about it and told us to watch the hopper channel for more information. Install took about 2 hours.

Comments:

Review by Cameron14 See Profile

• Location: Roanoke,Roanoke City,VA
Good "variety of channels and hopper"
Bad "na"
Overall "great price for the money"

·Cox HSI
Hello I had cox cable for many years, and I want to say it is great to be with dish network again I have the hopper, I like this because, one receiver can carry 2 tv's like an wireless router, and also with the hopper I can watch tv anywhere I go on my ipad 2 say like if i'm at an hotel, or somewhere. I pay 81.99 an month but thats for the american top 250 pack an hopper and 2 joey's. Now it will go up at the end of the year, but I still like the fact that each receivers, can carry 2 tv's, because we have 4 tv's so if you think on that is 2 receivers running 4 tv's. Now I still have internet with cox cable, I don't understand why an cable company that provides internet cannot do the same thing.

Comments:

Review by floydhig See Profile

• Location: Hermansville,Menominee,MI
Good "So far promised connect speeds or sometimes better"
Bad "Weather relevant connection"
Overall "Only if you have very limited options for high speed, reliable connections"
Mail,DNS,News:

Have Dish for over 10 years, dish.net for only 3 months after my move to the middle of nowhere, Michigan. I had Fiber so I really took advantage of the Blockbuster movie downloads; now I am limited to 15 GB per month for $79.99 for two years. That’s about 2 HD movies or so, with internet browsing. Hopper and all equipment were free. Install free. They had to add a third Dish to my roof, one for locals, one for regular programming, and one for Dish.net. Hopper was installed and not able to activate or complete its download so the Tech left at 6:45pm. His boss came the next morning at 10am and took 45 minutes to complete download and install. Been working as promised since then. (Only one modem reset). Where I am at, there is currently no 4G, limited 3g, although Verizon is promising to add tower in area, no DSL, or cable. Very Rural, but, happy as I can be with what’s available.

For those who have issues with cloudy days with losing or degrading connection, try calling dish and letting them know, they will send a tech to fine tune your signal strength. I have successfully done this twice in 10 years after upgrading equipment and having a lousy connection and now lose connect only when there are medium to severe T-Storms or heavy rain. Cloudy or overcast skies no problems.

member for 15 years, 2168 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

FureverFurry
join:2012-02-20
Wyoming, MI

Winter reception

How is your reception in the winter what with snow accumulations etc -- for TV? Is it recommended to get a "heater" (I think it's called) for the satellite dish?
Thanks !!
floydhig
join:2000-03-08
Hermansville, MI
·Dish Network

Re: Winter reception

Heater? Naw, not me. Dressing up to go outside is half the fun. Have to walk the dogs anyway. Heavy or wet snow and ice on the dish itself will block the signal, all I do is go out with a broom and carefully brush it off. At most 2 to 3 times a season. No signal in winter, look outside...But, heater might be a good Idea if the dish is out of reach.
*One other cheap but effective solution is to place a plastic garbage bag tightly over the dish. Preferably black, as it generates more heat. Completely cover it. Tie it at the bottom. According to the dish tech I talked to, said it worked great for him during the winter. Also said it would not degenerate the signal. Personally I would do a signal check before and after to confirm.