Dish Network page on DSLReports

Review by tasteen2000 See Profile

• Location: Ozark,Christian,MO
Good "Works from midnightish to 7 or 8 in the morning."
Bad "1% to 7% advertised bandwidth speed of UP TO 10Mbps (key phrase: UP TO)"
Overall "For God's sake don't do it!!!!"
Mail,DNS,News:

I signed up for the most expensive and fastest internet package (15 gigs anytime/15 gigs off-peak for a total of 30 gigs) Dish/Hughes offers. It costs $89.99 a month with modem rental. Found that between the hours (approximately 7am to midnight) my bandwidth was 100 kilobits to 700 kilobits per second or 1% to 7% advertised speed. Called and complained 3 different times. A tech was sent out each time. The first tech fiddled with dish. Didn't help. Second tech replaced outside line. Didn't help. The third and final time they sent out a field manager who stood in my living room and said, and I quote, "Dish over-advertises their internet service and Dish internet may not be for us. Dish, actually, Hughesnet routes all of their internet signals through a single satellite and throttles." I called AGAIN to complain and was told that the bandwidth speed was UP TO 10 Mbps. I asked if that claim was a bit disingenuous and they didn't have much to say to that.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

Review by dad2max See Profile

• Location: Cranston,Providence,RI
Good "started out inexpensive"
Bad "price kept rising, reception got worse"
Overall "won't let you go"

------=_Part_73836_1908354619.1414588401012
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Had Dish Network for 2 years. =C2=A0The reception problems got so bad we de=
cided to drop themand go back to OTA, just an antennae. =C2=A0Then sent us =
boxes to ship the stuff back. =C2=A0We=C2=A0would ship it back the day we g=
ot the box. =C2=A0 Direct would say it was not received backso would trace =
it thru UPS and let them know who signed for it. =C2=A0They would then admi=
tto having it, but would need another part sent part and the process starte=
d over.=C2=A0Finally got all the parts back, no more calls and final bill p=
aid. =C2=A06 months later=C2=A0started receiving mail from them asking to c=
ome back, only 1 every 2 months. =C2=A0 Afteranother 6 months called them a=
nd asked to be taken off their mailing list since we=C2=A0would never go ba=
ck. =C2=A0After the call got mailings every week. =C2=A0Sent them an e-mail=
after2 months of that. =C2=A0Now I got 2 mailings a week. =C2=A0Have calle=
d them several times and stillget 2 per week. =C2=A0Don't go to them since =
they will never let you go.

------=_Part_73836_1908354619.1414588401012
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Had Dish Network for 2 years.  The reception problems got so bad=
we decided to drop themand go back to OTA, just an antennae.  Then sent =
us boxes to ship the stuff back.  We would ship it back the day we g=
ot the box.   Direct would say it was not received backso would trace i=
t thru UPS and let them know who signed for it.  They would then admit=
to =
having it, but would need another part sent part and the process started ov=
er. Finally got all the parts back, no more calls and final bill paid. &n=
bsp;6 months later started receiving mail from them asking to come back, =
only 1 every 2 months.   Afteranother 6 months called them and asked to b=
e taken off their mailing list since we would never go back.  After =
the call got mailings every week.  Sent them an e-mail after2 months of t=
hat.  Now I got 2 mailings a week.  Have called them several time=
s and stillget 2 per week.  Don't go to them since they will never let yo=
u go.
------=_Part_73836_1908354619.1414588401012--

Comments:

Review by p110011 See Profile

• Location: Oregon City,Clackamas,OR
Good "HD quality, EPG easy"
Bad "Price keeps going up, STB needs rebooting often."
Overall "Will look into a better deal after my contract is up."
Mail,DNS,News:

Price started at 39.99 for the silver 200/HD w/3 movie chls. & Cinamax for .01 a month for a year. After a year and a half my cost is now 54.99. I have the VIP222 duel tuner that really doesn't do anything special like VOD or record. Every so often the EPG will slow to a crawl, as in I push the guide button and it takes about 5 seconds for the guide to come up on the screen. I have to reboot the STB to get it to respond quickly.

The HD quality looks very nice, and I get HD Theater on channel 5710. It lists as "Test" Not sure if I'm getting this one for free, but it's a good channel.

member for 12.9 years, 2545 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by BankerMama See Profile

• Location: Brookston,White,IN
Good "Good reliability"
Bad "Confusing prices"
Overall "Better than Cable TV"

I've had Dish Network 15 years or so. They've been pretty reliable for that time. I upgraded about 2 years ago and the install wasn't pleasant. They dish tech (contractor) they sent to set everything up showed up with his kids. They played on my trampoline, drank my sodas, and then had to come into the house because it started raining. Nice huh! The tech tried every short cut in the book, but I wouldn't allow them. First he stated all wiring had to be on outside of house. Not. I went into crawlspace and pulled the wire through for him. Next, he forgot to crimp one of the connections. I noticed this days later when it went out and I inspected the ends. There was more to his install but I won't bore you anymore. The pre sales info lacked info. They offered to buy back a receiver I had and give me a new one with an 18 month contract. I took it only to find out they didn't give me anything. They leased me a receiver for $6 a month. I've been paying it ever since.

The signal doesn't go out often. Only really bad storms. I'm satisfied with the packages and prices. I wish the add-ons were easier to figure out. DVR, Receiver fees are things that confuse me on the website. Maybe it's just me.

Updated 04/15/2011

After 15+ years of service, I have decided to cancel. The price increase was a factor but mostly I am still mad at the way they played switch-a-roo when I signed up for a DVR two years ago. When you mislead your customers, eventually it will cost the company.

I will say that signal was usually good. Programming was lacking and I got tired of watching reruns. Not dishes fault on that one. Price increases became a problem for me. I am now going to try going with just my antenna for the summer. So we'll see how that goes. I need to get out more anyway.

Comments:

Review by jchambers28 See Profile

• Location: Alma,Crawford,AR
Good "lots of HD channels"
Bad "treat's good paying customers like trash, instead of fixing equipment issues they cancle your service"
Overall "dont use dish network"
Mail,DNS,News:

they canceled my service because I complained too much about equipment issues. Instead of fixing the issues they canceled my service I went back to cox for TV. I may pay more and get less HD channels but I do not have to put with any BS.

member for 7.5 years, 4001 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by DECJ See Profile

• Location: La Sal,San Juan,UT
Good "Initially a good relationship with satisfactory service, equipment, channel selection, and PQ"
Bad "Took away our local channels & ripped us off for new equipment that didn't work"
Overall "I would never go back to using Dish Network for any reason"
Mail,DNS,News:

When I first got Dish SD in the very remote & rural area we moved to in 1999 (and it was our first foray into satellite), we were very satisfied with the service, equipment, channel selection, and picture quality. However, about 2 years into the relationship, we started losing our local channels for longer and longer periods of time each day and without any notice or information coming from Dish. After a lot of back-and-forth with customer service and tech support, they finally admitted that Dish had elected to go with a new "spot beam" satellite transmission for Utah, and that we resided in a fringe area that would cause our locals to be lost for most if not all of the day. When we wouldn't agree to going with "local" channels from Denver (versus Salt Lake City), they then talked us into going with a larger diameter secondary dish with some special switching box, all of which was supposed to not cost us anything (including installation). When the installer got here, he was a total jerk, was bad-mouthing Dish as a company the whole time, and stated emphatically that he had installed a lot of these secondary dishes and that it never worked to bring in the locals better (and in fact, that it often made the situation worse), and that Dish knew it. Then to add insult to injury, he had an invoice for over $300 in parts and labor for the new installation. We paid it under protest, and when I called customer support, I got the total run-around with no acknowledgment that they had previously told me that there would be no charge. The final insult was that there was absolutely no improvement in receiving our local channels.

Since DirecTV had also come to our area (and offered our locals with no problems), we switched at that point and were very happy with DirecTV's SD service. Dish tried to get us back many times over the next couple of years, however, this was still at a time where they couldn't truly deliver local programming to our area. Since then, Dish resolved the locals issue, but I would never go back to them, especially after being ripped-off for over $300 for a bogus solution that they in fact knew was no solution at all.

Comments:

Review by zeke56 See Profile

• Location: Naperville,Du Page,IL
Good "inexpensive"
Bad "poor channel selection"
Overall "Not a good value for most people"

·WOW Internet and..
With the alternate sources of video entertainment currently available, we watch much less "TV" these days. The exception is sporting events, most of which aren't available anywhere but satellite or cable. Our criterion for choosing a TV provider therefore boiled down to which one provided a good selection of the ESPN channels plus Comcast Sportsnet at the lowest cost (after the promotional period). By that standard, Dish Network's America's Top 120 package is a good value. However, if overall channel selection is important to you, as I would guess it is for most people, it is very poor. Dish claims that this package includes over 120 channels, but that total includes about 20 audio-only channels. It also includes 18 shopping channels. Just a couple of the channels we became used to that aren't included in Dish's service are the Science channel and Animal Planet. The HD coverage of local channels is also poor. Only about 1/2 of the included local channels are provided in HD. For example, our local PBS station is not provided in HD, nor is WCIU in Chicago, which broadcasts a lot of Bulls, Cubs, and Sox games. Dish also lists Comcast Sportsnet as an HD channel, but only games (and I'm not sure if it's all of them) are shown in HD. The other 95% of the programming is only in standard def.

Time will tell whether we have actually been weaned from traditional TV enough to live without the many channels that Dish does not provide, but after a month or so, I would say I probably would not make the decision to go with Dish again.

Comments:

Review by spamsnare See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "They are desperate to keep their customers"
Bad "They need to be desperate to keep their customers"
Overall "They'll only act to separate you from your money"
Mail,DNS,News:

Service dropped every time it rained. DVR that wants to record adult programs on 2nd tuner in daughter's room--and that crashed receiver when stopped. A movie recorded in 23 one minute segments. Screens are oriented toward making it too easy for anyone in household to order pay services or upgrades. Too many problems to list. Certainly not TIVO quality. Using their latest receivers too.

I wanted to cancel immediately at install, three days into service, and then 13 days into service. Customer service did anything to try to make right and said I had 30 days to try service and cancel without cost. On day 26 I canceled. They claimed they never had a 30 day period to cancel and insist on charging me $360 early termination fee. Quite simply, they lied, they didn't keep the phone recordings, they claim they aren't even capable of contacting the representatives by the codes they had given as contacts.

Calls get transferred from one person to the next and nobody is capable of terminating the contract. They are a desperate company with inferior technology that will do whatever they can to make a buck and that doesn't deserve to remain in business. Don't give them your business. Look at U-Verse if you can, or else Comcast with TIVO series 3. If you do go with Dish then do it with them directly instead of through one of their resellers. The resellers just add unnecessary costs and terms.

A lawyer may contact me for action against Dish Network. I expected to be able to terminate the contract within 30 days without cost as I was assured multiple times. Also please contact me if you were told of a 30 day period.

Paul Baumann

Marietta, GA

spamsnare@gmail.com

Comments:

Review by Bye0 See Profile

• Location: White Salmon,Klickitat,WA
Good "Can't Say"
Bad "Customer Service"
Overall "Way To Lose A Good Customer"

Today I signed up for Dish Network via their website. I wanted a no commitment plan where I pay $99 installation fee and $29.99 monthly charge with my credit card. Shortly after I signed up, a Dish Network sales rep called me to tell me my credit was not good enough for the plan. However, there was a plan identical to what I wanted, but at higher cost.

Let's see; my credit rating(about 800), was not good enough to cover a no contract deal; total financial commitment: $99, which was being paid for with a credit card with a $17,000 spending limit. Since there was no commitment, the "liability" for Dish Networks was $29.99 a month, auto pay with my credit card. I offered to pay a year in advance(with my credit card), they refused.

Even though Dish is not going to provide service, they have told me they are going to keep my social security number and credit card number on file. WHY?

Dish Network = BAIT AND SWITCH

member for 12.9 years, 117 visits, last login: 4.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by Equalizer See Profile

• Location: Alpharetta,Fulton,GA
Good "Great selection of channels"
Bad "Terrible reception during bad weather; horrible customer service (outsourced to India)"
Overall "Go to DirectTV if you need satellite"
Mail,DNS,News:

I had the full HD DVR and a "bronze" channel selection (no premium movie channels); we had no home phone line so we could not use any on-demand features, so I can't comment on those. Anytime it so much as rained, we would have signal problems. It may go out for only a couple of seconds, but it was still annoying, especially when watching a movie. The hard drive inside the DVR was also unreliable and would need to be reset constantly, and would often malfunction. The Indian tech support was the most annoying, as they simply couldn't understand my problems. They sent me an extra HD DVR and billed my account when all I wanted was to replace my existing one! I will admit, I really miss the Monster and Kung-Fu channels, but those are not worth the hassle. My friend in Vegas has DishNetwork and loves it; obviously, he has less weather issues.