Dish Network page on DSLReports

Review by bmetelsky See Profile

• Location: Elyria,Lorain,OH
Good "Excellent service and equipment!"
Bad "Nothing so far."
Overall "Great service and better equipment than I had with Directv."

·DIRECTV
UPDATE: 7/26/14 - Left DISH early to go back to Directv. Price was going up and Directv made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Wish they would have done that prior to me leaving because of their unwillingness to negotiate cost at the end of my contract with them. No real problems with the DISH system, but am liking the Genie better than the Hopper.

This review is a bit late as I had the install done in February, 2013. I was a Directv customer coming off of a 2 year contract and Directv was unwilling to negotiate their cost for an out-of-contract customer. I went with DISH because I enjoyed the satellite service from Directv for 4 years and don't think that I could ever go back to cable.

I ordered on-line around 11:45pm on a Thursday night and they were able to install two days later. The install went great, most of the wiring was already present. The installer even removed the dish from the other satellite company at my request (it looked gaudy sitting right next to the new dish). The installer brought a Hopper w/Sling and one Joey. There were no problems with installation and the service was up and running within 2.5 hours of the technicians arrival time.

The service has been great, with no real issues. The equipment is awesome. I love the Hopper! It works so much better than the HR-23 and HR-24 that I had with Directv. Don't get me wrong, the other service and equipment was good, this is just better, in my opinion. Operation of the Hopper and Joey just seem so much smoother.

I am getting close to the point where the cost will go up (nearing year two of the two year commitment). I will post again if there are any updates in between now and the end of the contract. Also - we will see how willing DISH is at the end of the two years, to keep me as a satisfied customer.

member for 9.1 years, 3480 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by isp10002 See Profile

• Location: Burbank,Wayne,OH
Good "Great selection of channels, available everywhere, Alot of HD channels"
Bad "Bad phone support, losing signal during storms, Overpriced Equipment."
Overall "Great service, great selection of channels, expensive in some areas."
Mail,DNS,News:

I have had dish since I moved in 7 years ago, and service is great. I have the top 200 package from them and have 2 receivers which are both the vip 722k, my monthly bill from them is about $100 dollars a month which I think is alot just for two receivers. The only time the TV gos out is when there is a bad storm, or if there are a lot of clouds above the satellite dish. I plan on staying with dish in till I move. There block buster and on demand isn't that great really and it costs 6 dollar for a on demand movie which is a bit high really. I have my hd tv connected to the 722k and the picture quality is great. The bad item is you can't connect the second tv through hd, For that you would have to get the hopper, which I'm not going to fish $200 dollars out of my pocket for. I noticed dish does not have alot of hd channels, they are only on the major channels. I have had one incident when we replaced our old standard definition tv to a hd tv, and the remote wouldn't work at all, we called dish and the tech said it's probably a problem with the remote, we argued over the phone about this and the tech would not send out a tech out, so after arguing a I had no choice but to let them ship me the new remotes, it took 2 weeks for the remotes to get to me and guess what the tech was Wrong! We had to use the receiver buttons to navigate through the channels for 2 weeks. So we called them out again and sent them back the remotes, the person on the phone said, they would send a tech out in a few days people (sigh), so a few days later the tech came and moved the antenna around and put some lines on splitters, and that fixed the problem after waiting 3 weeks almost, never listen to those people on the phone, but so far the service from dish has been great. I would recommend dish to people who can't get cable.

Update: We recently upgraded to the Hopper Dvr system. So far i am very thrilled with it. Bad thing is the equipment fees are alot, im paying 15$ more each month then when i had the 722k. If you are willing to pay some extra money for a great dvr and pretty good service with alot of hd channels, go for dish. We have 1 hopper, 3 joeys for 4 tvs, when we used to have the 722k we had 2 Recievers for 4 tvs. The hopper equipment has alot of features on it and has a great UI, when we used to have the old 722k we had only a few Hd channels. Now for some reason 80% of the channels now are HD. Dish has proved them selves with this dvr, its worth the money if you want to spend quite a bit of money for good service. We pay about 120$ now when we used to pay $105.

Install: The tech was very nice and polite, and told us everything about it and told us to watch the hopper channel for more information. Install took about 2 hours.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Cameron14 See Profile

• Location: Roanoke,Roanoke City,VA
Good "variety of channels and hopper"
Bad "na"
Overall "great price for the money"
Mail,DNS,News:
(ratings well above consensus)

·Cox HSI
Hello I had cox cable for many years, and I want to say it is great to be with dish network again I have the hopper, I like this because, one receiver can carry 2 tv's like an wireless router, and also with the hopper I can watch tv anywhere I go on my ipad 2 say like if i'm at an hotel, or somewhere. I pay 81.99 an month but thats for the american top 250 pack an hopper and 2 joey's. Now it will go up at the end of the year, but I still like the fact that each receivers, can carry 2 tv's, because we have 4 tv's so if you think on that is 2 receivers running 4 tv's. Now I still have internet with cox cable, I don't understand why an cable company that provides internet cannot do the same thing.

Comments:

Review by floydhig See Profile

• Location: Hermansville,Menominee,MI
Good "So far promised connect speeds or sometimes better"
Bad "Weather relevant connection"
Overall "Only if you have very limited options for high speed, reliable connections"
Mail,DNS,News:

Have Dish for over 10 years, dish.net for only 3 months after my move to the middle of nowhere, Michigan. I had Fiber so I really took advantage of the Blockbuster movie downloads; now I am limited to 15 GB per month for $79.99 for two years. That’s about 2 HD movies or so, with internet browsing. Hopper and all equipment were free. Install free. They had to add a third Dish to my roof, one for locals, one for regular programming, and one for Dish.net. Hopper was installed and not able to activate or complete its download so the Tech left at 6:45pm. His boss came the next morning at 10am and took 45 minutes to complete download and install. Been working as promised since then. (Only one modem reset). Where I am at, there is currently no 4G, limited 3g, although Verizon is promising to add tower in area, no DSL, or cable. Very Rural, but, happy as I can be with what’s available.

For those who have issues with cloudy days with losing or degrading connection, try calling dish and letting them know, they will send a tech to fine tune your signal strength. I have successfully done this twice in 10 years after upgrading equipment and having a lousy connection and now lose connect only when there are medium to severe T-Storms or heavy rain. Cloudy or overcast skies no problems.

member for 14.7 years, 2053 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

FureverFurry
join:2012-02-20
Wyoming, MI

Winter reception

How is your reception in the winter what with snow accumulations etc -- for TV? Is it recommended to get a "heater" (I think it's called) for the satellite dish?
Thanks !!
floydhig
join:2000-03-08
Hermansville, MI
·Dish Network

Re: Winter reception

Heater? Naw, not me. Dressing up to go outside is half the fun. Have to walk the dogs anyway. Heavy or wet snow and ice on the dish itself will block the signal, all I do is go out with a broom and carefully brush it off. At most 2 to 3 times a season. No signal in winter, look outside...But, heater might be a good Idea if the dish is out of reach.
*One other cheap but effective solution is to place a plastic garbage bag tightly over the dish. Preferably black, as it generates more heat. Completely cover it. Tie it at the bottom. According to the dish tech I talked to, said it worked great for him during the winter. Also said it would not degenerate the signal. Personally I would do a signal check before and after to confirm.

Review by Derwood See Profile

• Location: Dayton,Greene,OH
Good "Hopper DVR has been pretty good so far"
Bad "Hopper firmware is still kind of buggy and needs improvement"
Overall "Well worth the money for me and better than TW or AT&T"
Mail,DNS,News:

I've been a Dish subscriber now for over 11 years. I started out with the basic receivers, then got a 522 DVR, and now we've had a Hopper since January 2013.

The first few weeks with the Hopper were touchy because we had some shows that the DVR hit a bug while recording and had to be power cycled to get it to release the partially recorded show. That issue seems to have been fixed as we have not seen that happen since March or so.

The only really annoying issue we have with the Hopper is that it likes to do a reboot and diagnostics at 1am or so every night. There currently is no way to change the time that it does this. I'm a night owl. I work nights, my wife works nights so when we're relaxing and watching TV is right in the middle of when it wants to do its reboot. It pops up a warning on screen, and you can tell it no, but then it will keep asking you every hour on the hour to allow it to reboot which is a royal pain. According to info on the Dish Network forums, this is being worked on. My question is why this wasn't a standard feature from the get go? This isn't an especially difficult technical issue. 300-500 lines of code and the problem is solved. So, why is it now nearing the end of August and this issue isn't fixed?

On the whole, the Hopper is a good unit and I'm sure that these growing pains will eventually all get ironed out.

member for 11.9 years, 4548 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by UHF See Profile

• Location: Independence,Buchanan,IA
Good "Hopper and Dish Anywhere are amazing!"
Bad "Some channels (Disney owned) are not in HD"
Overall "cable in the sky"

·Mediacom
·Callcentric
I started with Dish Network in November of 1997 and switched to DirecTV in June 2011 due to a promotional offer. Once my 24 month agreement with DirecTV expired I switched back to Dish.

There was a snafu with the initial installation due to the installer having a family emergency. For some reason they didn't notify me of that, so I missed work waiting for an installer than never arrived. Dish was very apologetic and rescheduled for two days later, and gave me a very generous bill credit for the inconvenience.

The Hopper system is amazing. I've had no issues with it, and the Dish Anywhere works great, as long as I have a 4G or WiFi connection on my mobile device.

I'm very happy that I switched back.

Comments:

Review by CnCz See Profile

• Location: Dunnellon,Marion,FL
Good "Works better than I expected"
Bad "Quality of connection subject to weather"
Mail,DNS,News:

This is a review of Dish Networks _Internet_ service.

There is no DSL, Cable, Fiber Optic, 3G, 4G or LTE availability here. In other words, there is no local broadband connection of any type here except for {possibly} Verizon 3G. However, people in this area have had difficulties with Verizon 3G every since Verizon made 4G available down the road {too far} from us.

As the only available broadband connection, we opted for the 10G anytime/10G off peak monthly package.

The order process was reasonable with no apparent hidden "gotchas". Installation was professionally done by the assigned installer.

====

Pros:

Download speeds {1Mb nominal} match what I was paying for from Brighthouse at my previous residence. This was a pleasant surprise.

Response time is reasonable considering it's Satellite. Ping times are about 0.600ms longer for the same sites I normally go to compared to the ping times I experienced with Brighthouse cable.

Customer service has been very helpful with no games the few times we've needed them.

====

Cons:

Connection quality is subject to weather. This means even if it's not raining {water on the dish signal distortion}, even small cumulus clouds will distort the signal. Sufficiently bad weather will block the signal completely. You have to be prepared to live with this issue without getting annoyed.

There doesn't appear to be any way to view prior months usage. We find this annoying.

Even under ideal conditions, video streams seem to be more jerky than through other types of broadband connection.

Differences:

Satellite is _not_ cable/DSL/Fiber/mobile data. If you're expecting the same type broadband connection as any of these alternatives, you're only going to agitate yourself.

The 10G/10G cap is something you'll need to live within. While my Brighthouse bottom tier service was no faster than Dish Network, Brighthouse's unlimited data feature allowed me to download as much as 1TB per month.

The impact of this means you need to limit your activities in several ways:
Don't bother with any movies or shows.
Don't bother with ISO image files of any kind.
Monitor your usage regularly during the month.
Don't participate in torrents.

We use our Dish broadband connection to/for:
normal web surfing.
email.
participation in forums.
job sites.
eBay.
as our local WiFi hotspot for our net/notebook, tablet and smart phone devices.
various {WinXP, Win7, Linux and Android} OS updates.

Your mileage may vary and all that.

Comments:

Review by dragonman300 See Profile

• Location: Anaheim,Orange,CA
Good "Professional installation!"
Bad "No primetime OnDemand with VIP722k"
Overall "I paid $34 a month and that included DVR!:D"

4-16-13

I recently have Dish service installed three day ago. The installer arrived on time and look around my house. Install take about 3 hours. I got Dish VIP 722k. Once finish, installer teach me how to use the remote and the DVR. Very helpful. I noticed the Dish took longer to lock signal and I asked him why. He said right now, it is cloudy outside so that why Dish having hard time connecting to the satellite. Next day, it was much better, the HD channels is somewhat fine. TWC offer better picture quality imo. Overall, Im satiated.

member for 3.8 years, 1262 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Badonkadonk See Profile

• Location: Naperville,Du Page,IL
Good "Great picture quality. Hopper is convenient"
Bad "On demand is hideous and parental controls aren't very good"
Overall "Worth the money and better value than Comcast."

On 22nd December I switched from Comcast to Dish Networks. Based on the their promotional pricing for the first two years, I save over Comcast. So far it's gone well. I chose their 200 channel package.

Installation - The installer came on the day he was scheduled. It took approximately 8 hours to do the complete installation. He had to run quite a bit of new cable since my home network is MOCA based. He had to do three new drops, but charged us for only one. The two networks are completely separate so there are no problems at all in terms of interference. The physical dish itself was placed in a very inconspicuous spot behind the chimney so it can't be seen from the front or side of the house. And even from the back, it's not terribly noticeable.

Hardware - We ordered and received 2 Hoppers (whole home DVRs) and 6 Joeys (remote terminals). Each Hopper has three tuners. In all, eight TVs are being serviced. All TVs can access content from all DVRs. It's very convenient. The Joey remote units are about the size of the older cable company DTAs (about the size of a cable modem). The Hoppers are about the same size as a cable company DVR. The system uses RF remote controls instead of IR, which is very convenient. Apparently, although not necessarily mentioned by Dish, a third Hopper and three additional Joeys can be added if needed. Cableguys forums has more information. The system also has remote locators in case you can't find what you did with the remote. The remotes themselves feel fine in the hands, although I think the Comcast and WOW remotes have better layouts.

The DVR has a 1TB hard drive for storing general programming. In addition, it has a 1TB storage area for storing prime time programming. If you watch network primetime shows, the Hopper lets you record all 4 network shows using a single tuner during the primetime hours. It will store 8 days worth of Primetime Anytime programming. If you want to keep the show longer, then you can store it onto the general programming disk space. An external drive up to 2TB may also be added via USB port.

Service and Support - Don't know. We haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood). But I hear that Dish S&S is not going to win any awards anytime soon.

Programming. On demand sucks. It's basically a video streaming service that uses your internet connection. Since I have a 50/15 internet service from Comcast, the videos load quickly and play smoothly. I don't know how it would be on slower connections. Fast forwarding is mostly out of the question. But the real issue here is that the programming choices are terrible. Very limited. But there are plenty of channels from which to choose, so we don't miss it too much. I liked Fearnet on Camcast, which I miss (even though it really wasn't that great).

Maybe it's my imagination, but the picture quality on Dish seems better than on Comcast.

Also, the parental control choices seem good at first, but they actually suck for movies that have been edited for viewing on TV. For example, an R rated Movie may be reclassified as a TV-14 program when shown on a regular cable channel. However, both classifications continue to apply to the show. So, if you want to restrict actual R movies but allow the PG-14 versions to be shown, it's impossible. The parental controls will lock out the PG-14 version.

Summary. Worth the money for now. I don't know what my feelings will be in two years as Comcast ups its game.

member for 14 years, 6425 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by hnd4me See Profile

• Location: Colton,Saint Lawrence,NY
Good "great pricing and equipment features!"
Bad "nothing in the 10+ years we have had them"
Overall "Great tv service for a great price!"
Mail,DNS,News:

Have had Dish Network for many years and haven't had a better tv provider. They offer a great selection of channel lineups that are in our budget. There receivers are high end in terms of functionality. New equipment offered auto skips commercials. Some of the receivers are made in mexico and have had our vip722 hard drive crash a year after it was in use, but new one has been flawless since 2009. I love how i can program my dvr from any computer or my smartphone anywhere and if I purchase the sling adapter i can watch any of my recorded shows or live tv from any computer to smartphone with an internet connection. Tech support has always been very helpful and solved any of my problems very quickly and to my satisfaction. Offer innovative 2 room tv boxes that doesn't cost extra. HD is included when you have auto payment and paperless billing or pay 100$. They offer our local channels and we live in very very rual upstate ny, Directv to my knowledge still doesn't offer locals here. Dish also doesn't have a extortion tiered rebate plan like directv either. Overall fantastic service for the price and cant recommend them enough!