Dish Network page on DSLReports

Review by tasteen2000 See Profile

• Location: Ozark,Christian,MO
Good "Works from midnightish to 7 or 8 in the morning."
Bad "1% to 7% advertised bandwidth speed of UP TO 10Mbps (key phrase: UP TO)"
Overall "For God's sake don't do it!!!!"
Mail,DNS,News:

I signed up for the most expensive and fastest internet package (15 gigs anytime/15 gigs off-peak for a total of 30 gigs) Dish/Hughes offers. It costs $89.99 a month with modem rental. Found that between the hours (approximately 7am to midnight) my bandwidth was 100 kilobits to 700 kilobits per second or 1% to 7% advertised speed. Called and complained 3 different times. A tech was sent out each time. The first tech fiddled with dish. Didn't help. Second tech replaced outside line. Didn't help. The third and final time they sent out a field manager who stood in my living room and said, and I quote, "Dish over-advertises their internet service and Dish internet may not be for us. Dish, actually, Hughesnet routes all of their internet signals through a single satellite and throttles." I called AGAIN to complain and was told that the bandwidth speed was UP TO 10 Mbps. I asked if that claim was a bit disingenuous and they didn't have much to say to that.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

Review by dad2max See Profile

• Location: Cranston,Providence,RI
Good "started out inexpensive"
Bad "price kept rising, reception got worse"
Overall "won't let you go"

------=_Part_73836_1908354619.1414588401012
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Had Dish Network for 2 years. =C2=A0The reception problems got so bad we de=
cided to drop themand go back to OTA, just an antennae. =C2=A0Then sent us =
boxes to ship the stuff back. =C2=A0We=C2=A0would ship it back the day we g=
ot the box. =C2=A0 Direct would say it was not received backso would trace =
it thru UPS and let them know who signed for it. =C2=A0They would then admi=
tto having it, but would need another part sent part and the process starte=
d over.=C2=A0Finally got all the parts back, no more calls and final bill p=
aid. =C2=A06 months later=C2=A0started receiving mail from them asking to c=
ome back, only 1 every 2 months. =C2=A0 Afteranother 6 months called them a=
nd asked to be taken off their mailing list since we=C2=A0would never go ba=
ck. =C2=A0After the call got mailings every week. =C2=A0Sent them an e-mail=
after2 months of that. =C2=A0Now I got 2 mailings a week. =C2=A0Have calle=
d them several times and stillget 2 per week. =C2=A0Don't go to them since =
they will never let you go.

------=_Part_73836_1908354619.1414588401012
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Had Dish Network for 2 years.  The reception problems got so bad=
we decided to drop themand go back to OTA, just an antennae.  Then sent =
us boxes to ship the stuff back.  We would ship it back the day we g=
ot the box.   Direct would say it was not received backso would trace i=
t thru UPS and let them know who signed for it.  They would then admit=
to =
having it, but would need another part sent part and the process started ov=
er. Finally got all the parts back, no more calls and final bill paid. &n=
bsp;6 months later started receiving mail from them asking to come back, =
only 1 every 2 months.   Afteranother 6 months called them and asked to b=
e taken off their mailing list since we would never go back.  After =
the call got mailings every week.  Sent them an e-mail after2 months of t=
hat.  Now I got 2 mailings a week.  Have called them several time=
s and stillget 2 per week.  Don't go to them since they will never let yo=
u go.
------=_Part_73836_1908354619.1414588401012--

Comments:

Review by bmetelsky See Profile

• Location: Elyria,Lorain,OH
Good "Excellent service and equipment!"
Bad "Nothing so far."
Overall "Great service and better equipment than I had with Directv."

·DIRECTV
UPDATE: 7/26/14 - Left DISH early to go back to Directv. Price was going up and Directv made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Wish they would have done that prior to me leaving because of their unwillingness to negotiate cost at the end of my contract with them. No real problems with the DISH system, but am liking the Genie better than the Hopper.

This review is a bit late as I had the install done in February, 2013. I was a Directv customer coming off of a 2 year contract and Directv was unwilling to negotiate their cost for an out-of-contract customer. I went with DISH because I enjoyed the satellite service from Directv for 4 years and don't think that I could ever go back to cable.

I ordered on-line around 11:45pm on a Thursday night and they were able to install two days later. The install went great, most of the wiring was already present. The installer even removed the dish from the other satellite company at my request (it looked gaudy sitting right next to the new dish). The installer brought a Hopper w/Sling and one Joey. There were no problems with installation and the service was up and running within 2.5 hours of the technicians arrival time.

The service has been great, with no real issues. The equipment is awesome. I love the Hopper! It works so much better than the HR-23 and HR-24 that I had with Directv. Don't get me wrong, the other service and equipment was good, this is just better, in my opinion. Operation of the Hopper and Joey just seem so much smoother.

I am getting close to the point where the cost will go up (nearing year two of the two year commitment). I will post again if there are any updates in between now and the end of the contract. Also - we will see how willing DISH is at the end of the two years, to keep me as a satisfied customer.

member for 9.1 years, 3440 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dkim1961 See Profile

• Location: Coalgate,Coal,OK
Good "Good channel selection, Hopper, Dishanywhere"
Bad "Poor Customer Service"
Overall "If you can deal with the bad customer service, Dish is pretty decent"

·HughesNet Satell..
I had Dish two years ago and hated it because my credit did not qualify me for the hopper which meant I did not have a DVR. I was really upset about this and filed a BBB complaint. Dish immediately responded and allowed me out of the contract. Now my credit is better and I did qualify for the Hopper! I love it!!!! With Dish anywhere I can access cable tv from my computer or tablet! Literally I can watch tv on my laptop or tablet just like I was sitting at home in front of my tv. In order for that to work you need to have the hopper plugged into your internet. I travel a lot and I love being able to watch my recorded DVR shows OR watch my Dish programming no matter where I am so long as I have access to high speed internet. I have even been known to watch a show or two at Starbucks!

Whether you have satellite or regular cable tv.. the one thing they all have in common as that they are way over priced. However, I do feel that Dish is an honest company and my personal experience has shown that they do respond to customer complaints. If you do not get anywhere with customer service, then lodge a BBB complaint. They WILL respond!

Comments:

Review by dishfraud See Profile

• Location: Sedona,Yavapai,AZ
Overall "Criminals"

I SIGNED UP WITH DISH, MOVING FROM DIRECT TV BECAUSE THEIR BASIC SERVICE WAS CHEAPER THAN DIRECT TV (19.95/MONTH), EXPLAINING SEVERAL TIMES THAT MY ONLY INTEREST WAS IN PBS, AND ONLY PBS, AS I HAVE NO INTEREST IN SPORTS, MOVIES, SPECIALS, OR ANY OF THE OTHER JUNK WHATSOEVER. IN ORDER NOT TO HAVE TO MESS WITH BILLS I FOOLISHLY SIGNED UP FOR AUTO PAY ON MY AMEX ACCOUNT, ASSUMING THAT I WAS DEALING WITH A REPUTABLE COMPANY THAT ADHERED TO NORMAL, ETHICAL BUSINESS PRACTICES. I RECENTLY REALIZED THAT I HADN'T WATCH EVEN AN HOUR A MONTH, AND THAT "MASTERPIECE THEATER" AND "MYSTERY" (MY MAIN INTERESTS) ARE AVAILABLE ONLINE, I DECIDED TO CANCEL MY ACCOUNT ALTOGETHER, AND WAS ASTONISHED TO LEARN THAT MY DISH ACCOUNT HAD BEEN "UPGRADED" IN 2010, WITHOUT MY CONSENT, KNOWLEDGE, OR DESIRE, TO A "HIGHER" SERVICE WHICH INCLUDED HBO, SPORTS CHANNELS, AND ALL OTHER MANNERS OF JUNK THAT I HAD IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS EXPLAINED THAT I HAD NO INTEREST IN , AND THAT DISH HAD EXTRACTED $105,35 A MONTH FROM MY AMEX ACCOUNT SINCE 2010!!!! SO FOR 53 MONTHS DISH HAS FRAUDULENTLY EXTRACTED MORE THAN $85.00 MORE THAN I HAD AGREED TO, FROM MY AMEX ACCOUNT FOR "SERVICE" THAT I DIDN'T WANT, AGREE TO, OR USED! THIS IS FRAUD, PLAIN AND SIMPLE, AND ANYONE WHO BEHAVES IN THIS MANNER BELONGS IN JAIL!!

Comments:
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

This is funny

You are here to complain and tell us that you have paid them an extra $85/month or so for ~3 YEARS and never noticed/did anything about it.Maybe you should hire someone that can take care of your finances as you obviously is not capable of doing it yourself.Who's to blame here.............

bmetelsky
join:2005-10-16
Elyria, OH

Re: This is funny

No kidding. The poster never looked at a DISH bill or his AMEX bill in all that time. Sounds fishy to me.
adrenatek

join:2014-06-11
·Charter

Re: This is funny

to OP:

1. NEVER sign up for auto-pay
2. how did it take you so long to notice this?
3. I am on Dish's "welcome pack" which is $19.99 a month and so long as you buy your own receiver this is the regular price and does not change unless you initiate the change. it's also prepaid so if you decide you don't need it one month just don't pay the bill and it's off. pay the bill and it comes back on. couldn't be any simpler.

Review by isp10002 See Profile

• Location: Burbank,Wayne,OH
Good "Great selection of channels, available everywhere, Alot of HD channels"
Bad "Bad phone support, losing signal during storms, Overpriced Equipment."
Overall "Great service, great selection of channels, expensive in some areas."
Mail,DNS,News:

I have had dish since I moved in 7 years ago, and service is great. I have the top 200 package from them and have 2 receivers which are both the vip 722k, my monthly bill from them is about $100 dollars a month which I think is alot just for two receivers. The only time the TV gos out is when there is a bad storm, or if there are a lot of clouds above the satellite dish. I plan on staying with dish in till I move. There block buster and on demand isn't that great really and it costs 6 dollar for a on demand movie which is a bit high really. I have my hd tv connected to the 722k and the picture quality is great. The bad item is you can't connect the second tv through hd, For that you would have to get the hopper, which I'm not going to fish $200 dollars out of my pocket for. I noticed dish does not have alot of hd channels, they are only on the major channels. I have had one incident when we replaced our old standard definition tv to a hd tv, and the remote wouldn't work at all, we called dish and the tech said it's probably a problem with the remote, we argued over the phone about this and the tech would not send out a tech out, so after arguing a I had no choice but to let them ship me the new remotes, it took 2 weeks for the remotes to get to me and guess what the tech was Wrong! We had to use the receiver buttons to navigate through the channels for 2 weeks. So we called them out again and sent them back the remotes, the person on the phone said, they would send a tech out in a few days people (sigh), so a few days later the tech came and moved the antenna around and put some lines on splitters, and that fixed the problem after waiting 3 weeks almost, never listen to those people on the phone, but so far the service from dish has been great. I would recommend dish to people who can't get cable.

Update: We recently upgraded to the Hopper Dvr system. So far i am very thrilled with it. Bad thing is the equipment fees are alot, im paying 15$ more each month then when i had the 722k. If you are willing to pay some extra money for a great dvr and pretty good service with alot of hd channels, go for dish. We have 1 hopper, 3 joeys for 4 tvs, when we used to have the 722k we had 2 Recievers for 4 tvs. The hopper equipment has alot of features on it and has a great UI, when we used to have the old 722k we had only a few Hd channels. Now for some reason 80% of the channels now are HD. Dish has proved them selves with this dvr, its worth the money if you want to spend quite a bit of money for good service. We pay about 120$ now when we used to pay $105.

Install: The tech was very nice and polite, and told us everything about it and told us to watch the hopper channel for more information. Install took about 2 hours.

Comments:

Review by Cameron14 See Profile

• Location: Roanoke,Roanoke City,VA
Good "variety of channels and hopper"
Bad "na"
Overall "great price for the money"
Mail,DNS,News:
(ratings well above consensus)

·Cox HSI
Hello I had cox cable for many years, and I want to say it is great to be with dish network again I have the hopper, I like this because, one receiver can carry 2 tv's like an wireless router, and also with the hopper I can watch tv anywhere I go on my ipad 2 say like if i'm at an hotel, or somewhere. I pay 81.99 an month but thats for the american top 250 pack an hopper and 2 joey's. Now it will go up at the end of the year, but I still like the fact that each receivers, can carry 2 tv's, because we have 4 tv's so if you think on that is 2 receivers running 4 tv's. Now I still have internet with cox cable, I don't understand why an cable company that provides internet cannot do the same thing.

Comments:

Review by floydhig See Profile

• Location: Hermansville,Menominee,MI
Good "So far promised connect speeds or sometimes better"
Bad "Weather relevant connection"
Overall "Only if you have very limited options for high speed, reliable connections"
Mail,DNS,News:

Have Dish for over 10 years, dish.net for only 3 months after my move to the middle of nowhere, Michigan. I had Fiber so I really took advantage of the Blockbuster movie downloads; now I am limited to 15 GB per month for $79.99 for two years. That’s about 2 HD movies or so, with internet browsing. Hopper and all equipment were free. Install free. They had to add a third Dish to my roof, one for locals, one for regular programming, and one for Dish.net. Hopper was installed and not able to activate or complete its download so the Tech left at 6:45pm. His boss came the next morning at 10am and took 45 minutes to complete download and install. Been working as promised since then. (Only one modem reset). Where I am at, there is currently no 4G, limited 3g, although Verizon is promising to add tower in area, no DSL, or cable. Very Rural, but, happy as I can be with what’s available.

For those who have issues with cloudy days with losing or degrading connection, try calling dish and letting them know, they will send a tech to fine tune your signal strength. I have successfully done this twice in 10 years after upgrading equipment and having a lousy connection and now lose connect only when there are medium to severe T-Storms or heavy rain. Cloudy or overcast skies no problems.

member for 14.7 years, 2029 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

FureverFurry
join:2012-02-20
Wyoming, MI

Winter reception

How is your reception in the winter what with snow accumulations etc -- for TV? Is it recommended to get a "heater" (I think it's called) for the satellite dish?
Thanks !!
floydhig
join:2000-03-08
Hermansville, MI
·Dish Network

Re: Winter reception

Heater? Naw, not me. Dressing up to go outside is half the fun. Have to walk the dogs anyway. Heavy or wet snow and ice on the dish itself will block the signal, all I do is go out with a broom and carefully brush it off. At most 2 to 3 times a season. No signal in winter, look outside...But, heater might be a good Idea if the dish is out of reach.
*One other cheap but effective solution is to place a plastic garbage bag tightly over the dish. Preferably black, as it generates more heat. Completely cover it. Tie it at the bottom. According to the dish tech I talked to, said it worked great for him during the winter. Also said it would not degenerate the signal. Personally I would do a signal check before and after to confirm.

Review by Derwood See Profile

• Location: Dayton,Greene,OH
Good "Hopper DVR has been pretty good so far"
Bad "Hopper firmware is still kind of buggy and needs improvement"
Overall "Well worth the money for me and better than TW or AT&T"
Mail,DNS,News:

I've been a Dish subscriber now for over 11 years. I started out with the basic receivers, then got a 522 DVR, and now we've had a Hopper since January 2013.

The first few weeks with the Hopper were touchy because we had some shows that the DVR hit a bug while recording and had to be power cycled to get it to release the partially recorded show. That issue seems to have been fixed as we have not seen that happen since March or so.

The only really annoying issue we have with the Hopper is that it likes to do a reboot and diagnostics at 1am or so every night. There currently is no way to change the time that it does this. I'm a night owl. I work nights, my wife works nights so when we're relaxing and watching TV is right in the middle of when it wants to do its reboot. It pops up a warning on screen, and you can tell it no, but then it will keep asking you every hour on the hour to allow it to reboot which is a royal pain. According to info on the Dish Network forums, this is being worked on. My question is why this wasn't a standard feature from the get go? This isn't an especially difficult technical issue. 300-500 lines of code and the problem is solved. So, why is it now nearing the end of August and this issue isn't fixed?

On the whole, the Hopper is a good unit and I'm sure that these growing pains will eventually all get ironed out.

member for 11.8 years, 4548 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by UHF See Profile

• Location: Independence,Buchanan,IA
Good "Hopper and Dish Anywhere are amazing!"
Bad "Some channels (Disney owned) are not in HD"
Overall "cable in the sky"

·Mediacom
·Callcentric
I started with Dish Network in November of 1997 and switched to DirecTV in June 2011 due to a promotional offer. Once my 24 month agreement with DirecTV expired I switched back to Dish.

There was a snafu with the initial installation due to the installer having a family emergency. For some reason they didn't notify me of that, so I missed work waiting for an installer than never arrived. Dish was very apologetic and rescheduled for two days later, and gave me a very generous bill credit for the inconvenience.

The Hopper system is amazing. I've had no issues with it, and the Dish Anywhere works great, as long as I have a 4G or WiFi connection on my mobile device.

I'm very happy that I switched back.

member for 12.5 years, 5355 visits, last login: a few hours ago