AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Fast Activation"
Bad "WIFI on NVG510"

·DSL EXTREME
Ordered service, and 3 days later it was working. Modem shipped the day after I ordered service, and arrived on the day service was activated.

They sent a NVG510, in which the WIFI that was built in didn't work good (3Mbps on my 12Mbps connection). However it was easy enough to set-up and use my own WIFI router.

So far, our new service worked ok.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update: Cancelled service.

member for 358 days, 276 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by trix See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "The connection has been stable, web browsing 'feels' fast, attain advertised speeds at all times of the day and night."
Bad "AT&T supplied hardware is subpar. Limiting NAT connections to a session limit of 2560. Value is lost without intro price. Caps."
Overall "Good reliable, expensive service. Be aware you agree to a 250GB cap, and the modem is subpar. Speeds are as advertised."

As of 9/9/2013, I have been using AT&Ts 46/6 product. The gateway included is a Motorola NVG589, which is huge step up from the PACE 3801. The NAT session limit when I got this service was 8000, that his since been lowered to 2560. Working from home, with the only active devices on the network being my home theater receiver, home security cameras, a Windows Home Server and a work laptop, I am using 880 sessions. This can be a limitation, a limit I have gotten close to with LAN parties.

The upload stream struggles to make it to the advertised 6Mbps, the download exceeds at about 50Mbps. Line reliability has been ok, with the service dropping out once. Technical support was awful in this instance, and told me that "Firefox and IE are not compatible with U-Verse internets" and that I should use Chrome. Disappointing, yet somehow not surprising. Luckily the line came up a few hours later by itself.

IPV6 implementation by AT&T is a struggle. The 6RD tunnel mechanism they use is incompatible with some services, like Google. A native implementation would avoid some of these issues. This is not entirely AT&Ts fault, but provides an awful experience for a naive consumer (»www.reddit.com/r/ipv6/comments/2 ··· _google/).

Overall the 46/6 service is fine. It is only worth it at a promotional price. The competitors in the area are pushing their speeds well beyond what AT&T and offer, I have a feeling their price / performance ratio will be more favorable soon.

Below is service at another location.

I purchased U-Verse 24/3 service in June 2012. I received an introductory rate of 43 bucks. This was a fair price for the speeds. 24/3 is not slow, but it isn't as fast as some of my areas competitors (TWC, WOW). The initial install was easy, worked decently well for the first day.

I was given the PACE 3800 gateway. The day after install, the connection dropped. It eventually resumed with no issue. I contacted AT&T VIP support, a tech was sent out. He analyzed the line, fiddled with some wires outside of my apartment complex, replaced my RJ11 phone cable, and swapped my gateway / modem with the 3801. Since then, no issues.

The gateway itself is pretty standard. 802.11G. I used DMZPlus mode with a 802.11n AP. My biggest complain with this device is the NAT table limit. I usually do not run into an issue, but with a LAN party, all of our connections dropped consistently. I noticed in the NAT diagnostics on the gateway that 0/1024 sessions were available. Writing this review, I have 876 available, that is more than reasonable.

current secs since boot: 2079075

session table 876/1024 available, 10/512 used in inbound sessions:

sess[461560]: bkt 0, flags: 0x3b6001e0, proto: 47, cnt: 39119

I had successfully hosted LAN parties with a traditional cable modem/separate router setup.

I continue to worry about the 250GB cap that I 'agreed' to upon signing up for this service. I am sure I do not hit this cap every month. I do frequent MSDN (I do some development), Steam, Origin, Netflix, Amazon Instant video, upload high resolution pictures to Flickr, and most importantly, I subscribe to Crashplan cloud backup. I am 100% certain the past few months, I have exceeded the 250GB cap. This is not enforced as of 9/9/2013. If this becomes enforced, I have non capped ISP options, which I will move to immediately.

Comments:

gwarg

@paetec.net

Please do!

Please post about your 45/6 install, I want to get it, but I am wary about a 99 dollar install fee. I'm not sure exactly what will be swapped out.

trparky
Android... get back here
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

Re: Please do!

The gateway is swapped out for a new Motorola NVG589 gateway, a second line is ran from the poll or pedestal, and a pair-bonded setup is created.
Tom
Tom's Tech Blog

Review by Wily_One See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Tech support has been responsive. (even if they can't fix the issue...)"
Bad "Bonded connection unreliable. Need more HD streams supported. TV remote is annoying."

I was an early adopter, getting U-verse back in 2008.
In the very beginning TV was glitchy, but since then those issues have been worked out.

Internet has been rock solid. Over the years there have been a couple of times when the connection was dropping. Tech Support found the issues (on their end) and rectified quickly.

UPDATE:
As of Feb 2014, AT&T has increased speeds for several tiers:
»Re: Max Turbo Upload Bumped to 5 Mbps? STARTED TONIGHT!

UPDATE: Feb 2015
Between last year and now, I was upgraded to the 45Mb bonded channel tier. This has proven to be a nightmare. Even if one channel stays up, any drop of the other causes the whole connection to freeze, affecting both TV and Internet. TV shows freeze, dropping frames, and Internet sessions are broken.

Premise Techs have been out multiple times. Linemen have been out multiple times. Bottom line is the two channel setup is LESS reliable than just one. (The exact opposite of my experience with bonding in the server world.)

The drop/retrain issue got so bad I have cancelled service and reluctantly gone back to Comcast.

member for 12.3 years, 5138 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Abused

Customer Abuse

Run, don't walk, from AT&T Uverse. Based on my Extensive, Extensive experience with AT&T Uverse, no will be able to get thru to customer service for any issue. Yes, the service works well, but at what costs? If you feel like carving out 30 hours on the phone, having an area manager chew you out, multiple trips to a corporate store, placed on hold, transferred to wrong numbers, given incorrect contact numbers, incorrect answers to speciic questions, ect., ect., ect., then sign up. I would pay $200 to NOT to go thru the experience of contacting AT&T uverse. It is so bad that I believe it falls under Customer Abuse. I would love to have a VP, not a store manager, customer service manager contact me. My email is kadyco123@yahoo.com On a scale of 1 to 100, the training given by AT&T is a zero. Yes, zero point zero. It's a disgrace really? I cannot express completely the frustration trying to battle like a medieval warrior and overcome hoardes of misinformation, an incompetent web site, and people AT&T has chosen NOT to properly equip with basic knowledge to servgice customers. Hey, I know what I'm talking about - more than 30 hours on the phone with AT&T Uverse trying to get simple questions answered. Don't believe me, call Uverse sales department and ask a salesperson, "What is the current Uverse promotion"? Then ask, "What are the comparable benefits of the three plans of AT&T Uverse?" Seriously, email me. Zero point Zero.

BrandiLB

-1 recommendation

Re: Customer Abuse

I completely agree. I also have one for you. We signed up with AT&T Uverse Internet on 9/13/2013. The tech came out to install everything on 9/16/13. I made sure to set us up on Auto Debit for payments and I'm not the best at monitoring, which leads into the next part. Last night around 7:00 PM CST our service was shut off. I tried to login to our online account to see what had happened (via my mobile hotspot with Verizon thank goodness) and we did not exist. I then spent the better part of an hour with Tech Support only for them to tell me that my account does not exist and call Sales Support in the morning (They're only open until 7:00 PM). Please keep in mind we have had service since 9/13 (3 months) and have received no emails stating our account was past due, or they needed a new card on file, etc. I get up and call Sales Support only to have them tell me the same thing - our account doesn't exist. They get a manager on the phone with me who is going to reactivate our account with a $100 advance. We essentially had not paid the bill in 3 months because our account didn't exist. I am absolutely fine with paying the $100 for that reason. Here's the kicker: We both work from home so as you can imagine internet connectivity is essential, of this I made AT&T aware. I was told that they would expedite the service to get it turned back on today. I called a few hours later to find out approximately when the service would be back on today and was informed that they couldn't do anything until Monday, this is Wednesday. I explained everything again and still no help. I ask you AT&T why in the world does a tech have to come out to my house to set me up when I was just set up 3 months and 5 days ago? You can certainly shut my service off with no warning remotely so why can't you reinstate it remotely. I'm with kadyco please email me and do tell at brandilb@gmail.com. This is a horrendous load of manure and explanation is due, especially since there was not a single person at AT&T who had dealt with this issue before and I seriously doubt there is any intention to fix it.
golfnow

join:2012-08-19
Knoxville, TN

1 recommendation

Re: Customer Abuse

Uverse is excellent. Have no problems reaching customer support.

Wily_One
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

"Abused", "BrandiLB",
hmmm, so I just said I've had GOOD customer service from AT&T, and you come along to tell me I "won't be able to get through." LOL.

The last issue I had the office of the president (of AT&T) was calling me to make sure I was taken care of. I got primo service; what you state is a lie.

You Anonymous posters need to go back to your Comcrap masters and report your failure.

Hey

@bhn.net

Re: Comcrap plants

What I just went through today with AT&T coaster service, I hope no one goes through! I only picked up the phone when I heard the representative start to yell at me pregnant wife! I heard him yelling from across the room! Then the battle went on for the next thirty minutes to try and cancel! Glad you were taken care of, but I will suggest people stay away!

deb127

Re: Comcrap plants

I have spent hours today trying to get my DSL turned back on. I was going to change my internet and phone to u-verse. Couldn't install the internet change due to snow and not safe to put an extension ladder up to the house.

Told it would happen last nite after the system updated or by the end of business (9 pm) Then a calling saying by morning, this morning - no internet - after talking to 7 people, it finally got turned back on.

I will be canceling my u-verse rescheduled install and keeping things as is. I'll be canceling the install mainly because i don't want digital landline phone service.

Jennifer P

@mycingular.net

Re: Customer Abuse

I agree. Horrible customer service. Issues are never resolved. Billing never correct. Have spent countless hours on the phone minth after month. Worth the extra $$ to go back to cox

AustinTX6543

AT&T Uverse

Thank you! The Internet is great! Hoping that you bring faster speeds to Del Valle,TX 78617 one day. They are advertising same price I pay for 45mbps for an even faster speed on TV. I am patiently awaiting. Thank you for you services AT&T. I play online gaming and MMO. Also downloads from iTunes. There are about Ten devices on my modems wifi/LAN. So you can see why I am waiting. I hope to get the faster speed advertised on TV at that price if possible. My connection is not coaxial it is a LAN based direct to my house. They just do not have the speed advertised on TV at my location, but you pay to receive and support them to create better services for other areas eventually. I also do not have a problem receiving customer support from them via live chat/phone. I think AT&T is an excellent service! Thank you.
martyp

join:2004-01-30
Vallejo, CA

AT&T Internet has been great

I have had AT&T for Internet since back in the day when DSL was 128mb. I now have uverse for phone and internet and it has been great.

I do have a problem with the wireless that developed late Friday night , but I am sure that I will get a new modem ordered on Monday .

I am using a net gear as a access point and using that for wireless and even when I get a new modem may want to keep it this way

Review by clbowen2 See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Reliable connection"
Bad "TV video quality could be better on certain stations; DVR/STB could use improvement; need faster speeds"
Overall "Overall, I am satisfied...for now"

We have the U300 TV package bundled with the Max (12/1.5 Mbps) internet plan. I've had this service since 2009, so I don't remember the install experience.

So let's get the internet service out of the way. I have the Max plan, but regularly get 15/1.8 Mbps speeds on speed tests. Also, the speed tests give me a consistent 20ms ping (of course, that's a ping to a server less than 50 miles away). And I have never had an internet interruption. So that has been rock solid.

Now, their equipment is another issue. I am on my second gateway (WiFi issues), second DVR box (DVR issues). I have 2 other STB's, both have been replaced over the years (various issues). All of this has been done at no charge (I pay for this Home Wiring Protection, if that matters). At this point, the only issue I have is audio dropout on AMC. But still trying to pinpoint the problem.

Their customer service is ok. Sometimes when I call them, I can tell that I've been routed to India or somewhere. The tech are nice when they come by and show up in the time window they say they will.

Now, for the future. I just bought a 4K TV. With 4K streaming requiring a 20Mbps+ connection, and I'm only have to upgrade to a 18Mbps plan at my location, I may down the line switch to a competitor when that becomes more popular. Also, when TV stations start doing 4K broadcasts, I'm not sure if their current system will be able to handle that.

Another thing I would say is that their packages are a LOT simpler to understand than their competition here (Cox).

Another bad, their prices have gone up at least once a year (sometimes more) since I've had them. But every company does that, so it's par for the course.

So, overall I would say I'm satisfied, for now. When 4K become more mainstream, I think I will become less and less satisfied.

member for 14.4 years, 2031 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ImpldConsent See Profile

• Location: Mcdonough,Henry,GA
Good "FAST Service! Excellent install (except adding STBs)."
Bad "AT&T will suck you dry of every associated penny."
Overall "Fast; reliable; however, the UBB ruins the value."

* UPDATE 26FEB2015: I know y'all want horror stories, but it's just not happening. AT&T U-Verse has been a solid, reliable and fast connection. I recently dropped down from U300 to Family. I noticed that I'm watching more online content that actual TV.

* UPDATE 18FEB2014: Wow, what a year. Just got home from being deployed to Afghanistan. The day I left for combat, wife up and moved. She was kind enough to put Uverse on hold at 19.00 month. She wasn't there at the welcome home and I had to beg for a ride home. Came home to a (nearly) empty house and got served divorce papers the next day. ... K, now for review: Re-estabished Uverse with my cell phone and it was up quick. I (had) 6 receivers, but only one of me and now only 2 TVs. I dropped down to U200 and bumped up internet to 45Mb. Waited 2 days for a tech and took about an hour total from changing to a new card at the VRAD and establishing the bonded pair. Hooked up a new RG (NV589) and it went green in about 5min. I then took 4 wired receivers to UPS and gave them back to ATT. Overall, as it relates to my Uverse experience, I am quite pleased. Couldn't be happier with TV and internet.

* UPDATE 8JAN2013: We dumped telephone service in lieu of VOIP. We are effectively saving 40./month (480./yr). We transferred our number so no loss. Ordered another STB (wireless) and should be in soon. I'll update the review if there are issues, but not anticipating any. Internet and TV are still ROCK SOLID.

* UPDATE 11JUN2012: No real updates. Still up and running while I'm still here in Afghanistan (at least my wife hasn't complained yet). We still pay a lot, but I can say this for U-Verse - it's stable and it's fast.

* UPDATE 6JUL2011: Added another STB for our 5th TV with this caveat: I pre-wired my house cat 5 to every liveable space (exclude bathrooms). I insisted that I wanted to do a self-install instead of paying them 55.00 to have a tech plug it in. AT&T insisted that there was more to it than just plugging it in. I relented. 'Lo and behold all the AT&T tech did was plug it in. AT&T SUCKS for not being able to determine the technical ability of it's customers.

PHASE III update now in place. FINALLY, my kids can pause live TV in any room. Great update.

* UPDATE 2MAR2011: UBB is going to be implemented May 2011. For me, that means I have to trust AT&T to tell me how much data is being downloaded and to tell me what is internet traffic and what is TV/Phone. I'm reducing my "Value for money" to "Worst" until I see what this does. For what it's worth - I have Max Turbo (24/3), 450 TV, Unlimited Phone (for now). I pay a lot of money for that service and a reasonable price for "Unlimited". Capping me now brings that to unreasonable.

* UPDATE NOV2010: OK, had this over 1 month now. Internet is awesome; however, TV is not so good. We have great signal, very few errors / corrections; however, most shows we watch are HD. It's fair, but not great. There is pixelization that you have to deal with. Wife is pissed. I think we might dump TV in favor of going to DTV (certainly NOT cable).

/////

ORIGINAL REVIEW: 18days from notification of availability to installation up and running. I cannot complain about the length of time for service. The installer (Richard) was fantastic. Had the "outside" guy come out, do his thing, then the inside guy (Richard) come out and do the house. He had internet up an running within 30min, then spent the rest of the 4hrs connecting phone and TV (4 of them).

ATT used HDMI cables (thank you) for connectivity on each TV. The RG (wired + wireless) is working flawlessly. I did a speed test and am getting 22Mbps down and about 2.2Mbps up. A little loss of latency, but overall, I'm impressed. All this speed is coming to my house on copper. I couldn't imagine if I was on FTTH.

For speed freaks, this is fantastic. For TV freaks... dump the Dish! I did. The service is 1080i, not sure if I'll see 1080p just yet or maybe sometime in the future. The 65.00 I quoted is for internet only. For the U200 TV, VOIP phone and Internet, runs about 171.00 month. I'm saving about 50.00/month dumping Dish.

member for 14 years, 2268 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by smogrady See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Much better speed than previous DSL"
Bad "Price"
Overall "Not bad"

·AT&T Midwest
12/2014:
Upgraded to AT&T u-verse, 12mbps download. Used to be a DSL customer

Comments:

Review by RavenZ7 See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "Good speeds and good TV. Like that I can record 4 shows and still have full internet speed."
Bad "Sometimes a little slow down during prime time."
Overall "Comparable to Comcast but know that sometime this year Gigapower will be available to me."

Started out with the U300+18Mbps+phone. Now have U400+45Mbps+phone. Never use the phone but it was part of the discount package. No real issues but when we upgraded to the 45Mbps speed tier they had to replace the gateway. The tech came out but they had the upgrade on hold for about 2 hours for some reason. So a simple 20 min swap took 2 hrs.

member for 11.3 years, 1941 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

why60loss
join:2012-09-20

How do you know if you are getting gigapower?

A AT&T rep told me that 45mbs customers in a gigapower market would all get gigapower at some point. But I haven't seen anything official yet.

In Raleigh it was by June if the guess the rep made is right. But I know so far the roll out has been limited to very few customers in the markets it is in.
If only the FCC set standards on what ISP's can do on customer level connection's with rated "upto" speeds, packet loss and down time.

Review by adobe75 See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Pretty reliable"
Bad "had to fight hard to get good price - tech support is useless"
Overall "more expensive and slower than Comcast"

Meh.

Comments:

Review by martyp See Profile

• Location: Vallejo,Solano,CA
Good "Works well"
Bad "Gateway wifi is crap"
Overall "Works well and in 12 years less then 2 days down time total"

I have had AT&T DSL since back in the days when it was 128kb up and 128 kb down.

It has always worked well and with out fail. I have had a few times when it has gone down due to down lines and such, but know for a fact much better then comcast which a neighbor says goes down all the time.

Comments:

Review by netreaper See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX

Had had U-verse internet for last 8 years.
Never a problem with speed or connection.

member for 12 years, 3756 visits, last login: a few hours ago