AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by FicmanS See Profile

• Location: Brownsburg,Hendricks,IN
Good "TV and phone services are ok"
Bad "Internet Gaming is horrible"
Overall "Comcast Internet is looking good again"

We've been up and running now for 14 months, TV and phone are working very well. Internet Speeds continue to disappoint, hopeful some upgrades will be available in the future. Started pricing Comcast Internet...

Internet speeds continue to be horrible

member for 9.2 years, 2502 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

done deal

@sbcglobal.net

u- verse worse than Charter!

My bill universe is $190 per month and my cell with the same company is $115 per month. I'm not impressed and customers service can only offer me less services to make it less expensive.I got better service for less money at other companies. the universe internet that is supposed to be the best is no better than other DSL. DON'T SWITCH TO AT&T YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Review by tabernak See Profile

• Location: Lucedale,George,MS
Good "Reliable, good latency, great speed for rural location"
Bad "Upstream speeds"
Overall "As a rural customer, I can't complain"

·AT&T DSL Service
I have U-verse High Speed Internet Max Plus for $63 not including discounts (although the 1st year I do get $11 off). That gets me an advertised 18 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up, the maximum offered at my location. Recently they seem to have increased the upstream to 2 Mbps and they've always over provisioned on the downstream since I got service in December of 2013. I regularly test at about 20 Mbps down and 1.8 Mbps up, which is quite good. My latency is ~40 ms to Dallas and then 60+ ms elsewhere. Plenty of gaming servers in Dallas, so that's no issue, although that's far from the closest city to me.

Service is pair bonded VDSL2 on a NVG589. Over the last 3 months I've only had 3 brief disconnects while I was using the service and a few times I noticed my speeds were slow, although the slow speeds certainly could have been a wireless issue. Installation happened the day they planned and went well, I got a new NID and they installed the NVG589 about 20 feet away in my laundry room. Installer said his instruments read I was ~4100 feet from the VRAD, the other technician who was a local that came in the bucket truck to connect my second line for the pair bonding was surprised I could get U-verse at my location.

At&t U-verse is a national product and your mileage will vary wildly. It may be surprising how happy I am with my installation, but you have to consider I previously considered myself lucky to just have 6 Mbps DSL service as I live ~3 miles from a town of just 1000 people. There is no cable competition, yet At&t is providing me with a reliable broadband connection far above what's available in most rural areas.

The limited upstream will keep me from using some cloud services, but nothing that I will miss personally. Downstream is sufficient for everything currently and should be for a few years to come, at this speed the only thing limited is the speed of downloads. Hopefully by then they'll be getting around to upgrading my area with the 17a profiles or vectoring.

member for 253 days, 118 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ramsaso

join:2014-01-04
Houston, TX

What about other providers?

Such as DSLExtreme or any CLEC comapny?
tabernak

join:2013-08-10
·AT&T DSL Service

Re: What about other providers?

I've searched before and have never been able to find any CLECs here on the Mississippi gulf coast. Prior to moving to this house last year I researched my alternatives in case the DSL here was atrocious, my choices would have been Millenicom (Verizon MVNO w/ 20 GB cap) or potentially a WISP (they had a terrible website and I never investigated further). Even the 6 Mb DSL I had prior to this beat those alternatives as it delivered the advertised speeds.

So long as they continue to provide my current speeds and quality I'm not currently worried about shopping around. Perhaps in a few years it could be a concern if they haven't implemented any upgrades to boost the speeds.

Review by pf2007 See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
Bad "att is a bad company"
Overall "Go to another company for internet."

ATT Internet service is the worst internet you can have. they have horrible customer service and the internet will frequently go in and out. Go with comcast instead.

Comments:

BusinessinMI

UVerse internet

Don't let At&t representatives fool you. Switched from AT&T DSL, to UVerse, TERRIBLE!!! I was assured internet speeds of 3 times greater than my existing DSL line, not the case, my internet is slower than ever, this is terrible for a business! Fooled once again by AT&T...If you have Comcast business in your area, get that instead!
golfnow

join:2012-08-19
Knoxville, TN

Re: UVerse internet

Sorry best decision I have ever made was when I left Comcast for Uverse. Much faster.

·Google Voice

having problems? we can help

We have a AT&T direct forum here, I believe the link is even on the front page. You can also click my name and it will show a link on my profile page.

We are here to help!

Thanks
David.
02/24/14- My hours recently changed. I work 11:30 A.M. to 10 P.M. central time. I am not in the office on friday, saturday, or sunday. Thanks-David

@bellsouth.net

Re: having problems? we can help

I came across your post when I was researching ways to increase my isp speed. I currently have business service through AT&T and I have a download speed of (roughly) 2.5mb but my upload speed is where I'm having issues. I need an upload speed of .4 (sustained) but can only manage .27-.33. I called the tech support line and he told me that he could guarantee me .4 upload but in order to do that my download speed would be dropped to 512k, which is unacceptable because I need 1.5mb or better for work. The other alternative I was given (because uverse is not available in my area and they have no idea when or if it will be (his words not mine)) was to purchase another 3 mb line and (I'm assuming because he didn't go into a lot of detail) pair bond to achieve a 6mb service. My big issue with that is that I would have to pay for 2 3 mb service at $34.99 which if you ask me since they seem to be in no hurry to get uverse in my area they should give it to me for the same cost as the uverse service.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks,

Re: having problems? we can help

ahh, had to look at your location... this is in bellsouth where I believe the highest pkg is a 512kb upload, but the downstream is wide open (capped at 6mbps on the ISP side). I think 512kb is all they offer (max upstream offering) in bellsouth. For 13state if you can get the elite tier 3-6 down/ 512-768k up that probably would be better for your needs. If uverse/IPDSL isn't available they wouldn't be able to pair bond ADSL. Only other way to get a sustained upstream above 512kb would be (note: this assumes you do not have alternate providers such as cable, wireless, etc..) a t-1 1.5/1.5 symmetrical.

@bellsouth.net

Re: having problems? we can help

Just got off the phone with AT&T again....and I'm told that the service I have is the 3mb download and .384kb upload (which I don't speed test any where near those) and that is unfortunately the best available at this time. Uverse is not available and won't be for some time. I did get in contact with a cable company that's moving into the area and they are offering a 7mb download and .768kb upload for just a few bucks more. So after being a loyal AT&T customer for 15+ years it looks like I'm gonna have to switch. Thanks for getting back with me though, I appreciate it.

said by Judi :

Thanks for getting back with me though, I appreciate it.

No problem, thanks for using at&t for the long run you had and good luck.

Do call again if there is anything else needed though.

Review by MoneyT8 See Profile

• Location: united state
Good "Availablity of service"
Bad "Customer Service; Slow compared to Cable; Out of date equipment "
Overall "If it's you're only choice than it's ok"

Hello, I ordered the U verse internet max at 12mb/1.5up at $36/month after discount. The process was pretty much straight forward. The equipment is a all-in-one modem and wireless router which is great, however it's only up to wireless g. Initially there were some phone line problems but that was fixed by AT&T.

The change of financial of responsibility was a painful and long process. Once it was initiated it was a long 2 week wait with no confirmation email in sight. I had to go through multiple online chats and phone reps to finally get it done. I tried negotiating on price since Time Warner Cable is another competitor in my area and the best they could offer me was the same as before $36 a month which wasn't good enough but here is the kicker the rep ended up applying the discount anyways after I told him not to. The rep was trying to lock me into a contract which meant that there was a cancellation fee of up to $180. I can do better with Time Warner.

Also the same rep lied to me. He stated that U verse max plus which is an upgrade to my current plan was not available in my area LIE!!! I checked it on AT&T's website and it said it was.

I would not recommend AT&T at least not in my area; Time Warner would be the better choice with no contracts, datacaps and overall faster and cheaper than AT&T. This maybe my last time with AT&T.

Comments:

Review by jrs8084 See Profile

• Location: Statesville,Iredell,NC
Good "Solid Connection"
Bad "Power Flickers, Gateway has to reset-lose everything"
Overall "I am glad I upgraded from BellSouth DSL"

Price is for Triple play, U300 and 18 Mb package. Everything works well, but I am also 500 feet from the VRAD.

Installer was good and took the time to install things as I like (with Gateway in the basement). He even hard wired cat5 to my office so I can use my router versus the included one.

My line is provisioned for 18 Mb/s, but I am pulling 30 (??) Tech didn't appear to think it was a provisioning issue, but more "sometimes you get more, sometimes you get less"

member for 12.1 years, 5244 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Wily_One See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Solid connection overall, good service for the few times there have been issues."
Bad "Need more HD streams supported. TV remote is annoying."

I was an early adopter, getting U-verse back in 2008.
In the very beginning TV was glitchy, but since then those issues have been worked out.

Internet has been rock solid. Over the years there have been a couple of times when the connection was dropping. Tech Support found the issues (on their end) and rectified quickly.

UPDATE:
As of Feb 2014, AT&T has increased speeds for several tiers:
»Re: Max Turbo Upload Bumped to 5 Mbps? STARTED TONIGHT!

member for 11.4 years, 4593 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Abused

Customer Abuse

Run, don't walk, from AT&T Uverse. Based on my Extensive, Extensive experience with AT&T Uverse, no will be able to get thru to customer service for any issue. Yes, the service works well, but at what costs? If you feel like carving out 30 hours on the phone, having an area manager chew you out, multiple trips to a corporate store, placed on hold, transferred to wrong numbers, given incorrect contact numbers, incorrect answers to speciic questions, ect., ect., ect., then sign up. I would pay $200 to NOT to go thru the experience of contacting AT&T uverse. It is so bad that I believe it falls under Customer Abuse. I would love to have a VP, not a store manager, customer service manager contact me. My email is kadyco123@yahoo.com On a scale of 1 to 100, the training given by AT&T is a zero. Yes, zero point zero. It's a disgrace really? I cannot express completely the frustration trying to battle like a medieval warrior and overcome hoardes of misinformation, an incompetent web site, and people AT&T has chosen NOT to properly equip with basic knowledge to servgice customers. Hey, I know what I'm talking about - more than 30 hours on the phone with AT&T Uverse trying to get simple questions answered. Don't believe me, call Uverse sales department and ask a salesperson, "What is the current Uverse promotion"? Then ask, "What are the comparable benefits of the three plans of AT&T Uverse?" Seriously, email me. Zero point Zero.

BrandiLB

-1 recommendation

Re: Customer Abuse

I completely agree. I also have one for you. We signed up with AT&T Uverse Internet on 9/13/2013. The tech came out to install everything on 9/16/13. I made sure to set us up on Auto Debit for payments and I'm not the best at monitoring, which leads into the next part. Last night around 7:00 PM CST our service was shut off. I tried to login to our online account to see what had happened (via my mobile hotspot with Verizon thank goodness) and we did not exist. I then spent the better part of an hour with Tech Support only for them to tell me that my account does not exist and call Sales Support in the morning (They're only open until 7:00 PM). Please keep in mind we have had service since 9/13 (3 months) and have received no emails stating our account was past due, or they needed a new card on file, etc. I get up and call Sales Support only to have them tell me the same thing - our account doesn't exist. They get a manager on the phone with me who is going to reactivate our account with a $100 advance. We essentially had not paid the bill in 3 months because our account didn't exist. I am absolutely fine with paying the $100 for that reason. Here's the kicker: We both work from home so as you can imagine internet connectivity is essential, of this I made AT&T aware. I was told that they would expedite the service to get it turned back on today. I called a few hours later to find out approximately when the service would be back on today and was informed that they couldn't do anything until Monday, this is Wednesday. I explained everything again and still no help. I ask you AT&T why in the world does a tech have to come out to my house to set me up when I was just set up 3 months and 5 days ago? You can certainly shut my service off with no warning remotely so why can't you reinstate it remotely. I'm with kadyco please email me and do tell at brandilb@gmail.com. This is a horrendous load of manure and explanation is due, especially since there was not a single person at AT&T who had dealt with this issue before and I seriously doubt there is any intention to fix it.
golfnow

join:2012-08-19
Knoxville, TN

1 recommendation

Re: Customer Abuse

Uverse is excellent. Have no problems reaching customer support.

Wily_One
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

"Abused", "BrandiLB",
hmmm, so I just said I've had GOOD customer service from AT&T, and you come along to tell me I "won't be able to get through." LOL.

The last issue I had the office of the president (of AT&T) was calling me to make sure I was taken care of. I got primo service; what you state is a lie.

You Anonymous posters need to go back to your Comcrap masters and report your failure.

Hey

@bhn.net

Re: Comcrap plants

What I just went through today with AT&T coaster service, I hope no one goes through! I only picked up the phone when I heard the representative start to yell at me pregnant wife! I heard him yelling from across the room! Then the battle went on for the next thirty minutes to try and cancel! Glad you were taken care of, but I will suggest people stay away!

deb127

Re: Comcrap plants

I have spent hours today trying to get my DSL turned back on. I was going to change my internet and phone to u-verse. Couldn't install the internet change due to snow and not safe to put an extension ladder up to the house.

Told it would happen last nite after the system updated or by the end of business (9 pm) Then a calling saying by morning, this morning - no internet - after talking to 7 people, it finally got turned back on.

I will be canceling my u-verse rescheduled install and keeping things as is. I'll be canceling the install mainly because i don't want digital landline phone service.

Jennifer P

@mycingular.net

Re: Customer Abuse

I agree. Horrible customer service. Issues are never resolved. Billing never correct. Have spent countless hours on the phone minth after month. Worth the extra $$ to go back to cox

AustinTX6543

AT&T Uverse

Thank you! The Internet is great! Hoping that you bring faster speeds to Del Valle,TX 78617 one day. They are advertising same price I pay for 45mbps for an even faster speed on TV. I am patiently awaiting. Thank you for you services AT&T. I play online gaming and MMO. Also downloads from iTunes. There are about Ten devices on my modems wifi/LAN. So you can see why I am waiting. I hope to get the faster speed advertised on TV at that price if possible. My connection is not coaxial it is a LAN based direct to my house. They just do not have the speed advertised on TV at my location, but you pay to receive and support them to create better services for other areas eventually. I also do not have a problem receiving customer support from them via live chat/phone. I think AT&T is an excellent service! Thank you.
martyp

join:2004-01-30
Vallejo, CA

AT&T Internet has been great

I have had AT&T for Internet since back in the day when DSL was 128mb. I now have uverse for phone and internet and it has been great.

I do have a problem with the wireless that developed late Friday night , but I am sure that I will get a new modem ordered on Monday .

I am using a net gear as a access point and using that for wireless and even when I get a new modem may want to keep it this way

Review by CmmTch See Profile

• Location: High Ridge,Jefferson,MO
Good "Ordered on 7-16 with DD of 7-20. On 7-20am it's in and works great."
Bad "Nothing bad"
Overall "Upgraded from Uverse VDSL Pro 3M to 18M. Very happy with the service"

I ordered Uverse HSI 3M Pro self install ($30 per mo, no term, employee) on Monday 7-16, internet only, not phone or TV. Was given due date of Fri 7-20, received the equipment on 7-18, a 2wire 3600HGV 4 port modem/router. The tech showed up at 10am, appointment time was 11a to 1p. He wired at the NID, had to go back to the SAI to fix cross connect from the PG to the VRAD for dial tone both services where up at 10:45am.

I asked him about the "do not connect your modem until 8:00pm on due date" verbiage in the Uverse documentation, he said your connection is up right now and you can set up the modem and register. I did that and used my existing ID to register and all is working great.

Also the tech put a VDSL2/POTS splitter on at the NID for me, I already had a CAT5 homerun for the computer.

5-19-2013 Have upgraded to 18M down (speedtest shows 17.2M down, 1.5M up »www.speedtest.net/index.php) very happy with the service. Also using the wireless from the 3600HGV for a laptop upstairs which is working great too.

2-23-14 All is still good, Uverse HSI working as advertised

member for 11.7 years, 1876 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by o2cool8 See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Internet is stable at 12/2"
Bad "HD Picture"
Overall "If you care about picture quality, go with cable or satellite"

I had U-verse 300 with HD, home DVR, and all the premiums plus HD extra channels for about two weeks. I couldn't take it anymore, picture quality extremely bad, especially for high action programs/movies. I even had the tech look at how bad the "HD" channels looked before he left during the initial installation, and he said that's how it is. There is nothing wrong with the line or connection and I have an excellent signal. Coming from Comcast, the picture difference is night and day. I couldn't justify keeping the service any longer and canceled within the 30 day money back guarantee.

Comments:

Pissed

@mycingular.net

U-verse Customer Service

I would like to share with you the dissatisfaction I received by trying to place a call to 1-800-288-2020
on a Saturday afternoon before I lost my patience & hung up. I was put on hold for 34 minutes while the "Customer Service Representatives were assisting other callers thank you for your patience". Apparently the quality of customer service is definitely not high speed & of disservice to us all.
MoneyT8

join:2014-02-16
united state

Re: U-verse Customer Service

I recently called that number on a Saturday as well and received pretty bad service. Although it was probably with that specific rep. She told me that I had called 5 times that month and was it regarding and the same issue; I can call back as many times as I please. I'm not sure if it's like that everywhere but I will not most certainly tolerate it.

Eagle1

@sbcglobal.net
I called that number yesterday and was put thru to someone in the Phillipines, she couldn't answer any of my questions, she could only read from a script. I was calling because they increased my service; ridicuously increased it: her only response was to upgrade and I'm like "what?", I'm trying to lower my bill, not increase it! I'm asking my friends what provider they use and most are responding: Xfinity. I think I'll give them a call!

Review by wheelbarrow See Profile

• Location: Kansas City,Clay,MO
Good "Consistent speeds, good latency."
Bad "I wish the speeds were faster for what I'm paying."
Overall "U-Verse seems to be a good option for internet service."

·Windstream
Update 2/21/2014:

My thoughts are still the same.

U-Verse has been working well for me since I first got it set up. I can't think of any outages that have occurred, despite having a couple rounds of snow storms earlier this year. The speeds have been consistent and the latency has been good - never had any issues.

As of current, I'm subscribed to their 18 Mbps for $56 a month. I'm unable to receive their 24 Mbps option.

Comments:

Review by SimiVoice See Profile

• Location: Simi Valley,Ventura,CA
Good "Pair bonding, rewards, Motorola NVG589, IPv6"
Bad "More expensive (without contract) than TWC, multiple techs to fix line issue"
Overall "Needs pair bonding and you're golden!"

My service install/changes are documented on this thread: »New Uverse User w/ Line Stats -- Advice From You?

Ordered U200 TV and 12Mbps Internet on the 19th of December. Got service professionally installed (without charge) on the 24th of December.

On install day, new CAT5e ran from drop to residential gateway. The old residential gateway was a 2Wire 3801 . . . It only has wireless-G speeds!? Ended up installing my own wireless-N router behind the 2Wire for decent WiFi.

TV is very clear and changes channels ridiculously fast. DVR box is much slower than the Dish Hopper (which we are comparing U-verse TV to). Internet speeds are very consistent and have not had any dropouts (»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3226754179).

About two weeks later, line statistics fall off a cliff. A splicing/lineman is dispatched the next morning after calling the problem in. He cleans, tests, and fixes the line, line stats are even better than original. He leaves a clean and tested second pair ready for a bonded pair install two days later.

On bonded pair install day, very friendly tech comes out and hooks up the second pair. I get an upgrade from the 2Wire 3801 to my current residential gateway, the Motorola NVG589. Line stats have since been exceptional and have not had any problems.

Overall = satisfied! Price is a little more than the comparable service/speed from the local cable company (Time Warner Cable), and there are initial problems getting the service to actually function properly/reliably, but stable connection overall and more than advertised speeds.

---------------------------

EDIT (2/4/2014)

Canceled U-verse TV, as the box is too slow for even basic functions such as opening up the on-screen menu. Dish Hopper still remains ridiculously fast, responsive, and more superior.

Also, I noticed that I got upgraded to the newest profile being offered to U-verse customers, the 55/6 profile. This upgrade has made me eligible to receive not only Max Turbo, but the new Power internet tier (45Mbps/6Mbps) as well. Pricewise, any U-verse service is usually more than competitors, but they do make up for the relatively expensive service with innovative features (such as the U-verse TV Wireless Receiver). See the attached picture in this review for my Power internet tier eligibility and pricing.

Still staying with U-verse Internet for the foreseeable future. We will see how it goes.

---------------------------

EDIT (2/20/2014)
It seems that AT&T increased the upload speeds on their Max (1.5Mbps >> 2.0 Mbps), Max Plus (1.5Mbps >> 2.0 Mbps), and Turbo (3Mbps >> 5 Mbps) plans. Thus, I can confirm that on my connection, I received the speed bump also (Max internet tier).