AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by Gbcue See Profile

• Location: Santa Rosa,Sonoma,CA
Good "Great speeds, nice HD quality, free DVR!"
Bad "CAPS"
Overall "Caps stifle innovation and U-Verse has them."

Other options: Either AT&T DSL, Sonic.net (AT&T DSL re-branded) or Crapcast Cable.
Speed: 18megs, it's quite fast and the line we're using only has 54% saturation.
Order process: Great, all online.
Install process: Went fairly quickly due to the whole house being wired with CAT5e.
Equipment: Motorola DVR and 2WIRE RG.
Other thoughts: 0 stars due to 250GB cap per month + Overages!!!

member for 13.1 years, 6840 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by MyReview See Profile

• Location: Burlington,Alamance,NC
Good "TV channel choices"
Bad "When using their wireless system the remote units are VERY slow. At best 10mbs"
Overall "I won't be coming back to U-verse sadly. It looked great at first."

I have the U-verse 200 plan for tv. The internet speed is supposed to be up 18mbs. (not below 13).

The install was fantastic. The service techs were professional, fast and knowledgeable. I came to Uverse from Time Warner (roadrunner) and Dish Network to combine my services and save money. It did save me money, and the tv line up/selection is better. The Internet speed on the main server is ok as well. HOWEVER anything running on wireless in the house is extremely slow! I mean near dial up slow. At best on my laptops only 30 feet away I can only get, at best, 10mbs download. More often than not it is 5-8mbs. I was informed that I would no longer need my Linksys/NetGear router. "The AT&T U-verse router will take care of it all" was the quoted statement.

Well sports fans, "it don't". I haven't tried to put the Linksys back on line yet but after several phone calls to customer service ( they are horrible) and several service techs coming out (they are qualified and professional) I'm politely told "that's the norm for wireless". "AT&T Uverse makes no guarantees about wireless speeds, only the incoming speed to the main router". Well had they told me that up front I surely would have kept what I had. Now the Time Warner cables have been dug up (landscaping) and it will cost to have it all reinstalled. I'm very disappointed, stuck with slow internet speeds and generally angry about it. I will not go back to AT&T anything. I'd planed to switch over cell and landline. Not going to happen now. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had switched the cell over. Luckily, I happy as can be with that service and plan to keep it. When my AT&T contract runs out, I'll switch everything over to the same vendor as my cell. Live and Learn.

Comments:

backman

@76.250.81.x

Uverse service

You would not believe the issues I have had. Never in my long career have I encountered such an inept business, ATT. I wish I had time and space to take you through the horror stories with this installation I have had over the past week and it is still not working. Just take my advise, DO NOT GO Uverse.

Review by WGF_Crafty See Profile

• Location: Mesquite,Dallas,TX
Good "Very little. Quick install? "
Bad "Advertised to be the 24 down plan, so I'd say 3 is lacking. Never hot above 1MB a sec, it should be 3MB"
Overall "I also downgraded the internet four months ago. Bottom line is I'm leaving for whoever."

Shady tactics, didn't happen to me, but I worked for two days trying to sell these plans. They would lie straight to your face about how it's fiber like FIOS, and just hope the people weren't smart enough to tell the difference between FTTH and fiber to the node. Jerks.

Horrible pricing. I started with the 6Mbit plan and got about 1.2MB down or about 90KB up, not shabby.

I upgraded to a 24Mbit plan, my speed should have more than doubled (about four months ago) the speed never increased, at all. Upload went to 200KB, but so? I'm not hosting servers. I downgraded it, dropped the phone, and dropped the premium channels they snuck on in early May. I've talked to them four times hearing promises that they'd get it right, despite being billed for a month and then comped, they STILL have the home phone, and the wrong overpriced internet plan.

They always ask stupid questions for verification which I don't remember the answers to (in order to talk to you) and detailed data inside the online account (Say, what I paid for everything 13, 4, and 2 months ago won't cut it.) This is to downgrade the plans. They wanted me to go to a ATT store where I don't even have a phone. Hell Why can't I email you a picture of me and my ID in front of the login page? Cause they want me to get an ATT phone.

So, I'm checking out other providers this very second, I've convinced the rest of the house to ditch cable and get internet and a VPN and HD local TV, save money watch Netflix+Amazon and get whatever else you need... cheaply. (garage sales).

Screw you UVerse, unless you offer me 2-3 MONTHS for free I'm gone for good. And I liked the configuration on their router. But I have two DDWRT54G-TMs laying around begging to be played with

I promise this isn't a fake review lol. Look elsewhere, or if you live near me, pray to the FTTH gods Verizon inches a bit more this way.

Comments:

MJohn

@99.181.56.x

Same

I have been running U-Verse for about 3 months and I have nothing but complaints. I have the 6mb plan and we are getting .3 down and .1 up most times. They tried over charging us by 200 dollars for an instillation fee that we were told we didnt have to pay. After we called them and went into the store, they said they would get rid of it, but instead of doing so, they gave us a late fee for not paying it. It is the internet service i have ever used. A shame, really.

Review by benwaynet See Profile

• Location: Grand Haven,Ottawa,MI
Good "Uptime on service has been great."
Bad "wish I could use my own DNS servers for all devices via DHCP"
Overall "Good service, higher ping times. But very solid"

I've had the service for a year with very little if any down time. The speeds have been good, we stream two netflix sessions with no issues.
I would love to be able to use openDNS without having to jump through another router. I know its because the set top boxes use the same IP network and DNS.

Comments:

Review by gagem44 See Profile

• Location: Howell,Livingston,MI
Good "Steady speed, decent T.V."
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Good"

It's okay.

Comments:

Thecomedian

join:2013-12-09

You pissed someone off.

There is the question on "how the attacker obtained your IP address again". The only way that would happen is if your name (or your known alias) is left somewhere with your IP address, such as a message board or game server, AND the attacker is on that same service and has it out for you. (Or one of your family members).

You might want to try a different approach and see what "triggers" the DDOS once you get a new IP, and perhaps being able to pinpoint the attacker. AT&T might be able to assist you with an IP change, but they aren't going to do it if you call once a month because the attacker found you again.

First, investigate HOW exactly they find you, through what service, before you ask for an IP change.

Re: You pissed someone off.

Multiple places, on a game server through steam, skype; anywhere truly. "AT&T might be able to assist you with an IP change" > When I read that I laughed and this would just keep happening it's not just one person. The fact the have to fight for an IP change is a tell tale sign of a shi**y ISP.

Howell, MI
Also you got most of that from this
»Re: Changing my IP. (Being DDOS'd)

Thecomedian

join:2013-12-09

Re: You pissed someone off.

Yes, I did. Just do a little research and be nice to people online, and I am sure the problem will fix itself. A simple reboot will give you a new ip.

Re: You pissed someone off.

Ha only if it were that easy. I thank you for at least trying to give me tips but I tried everything under the moon :P

Review by CUBS_FAN See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Having a designated line with solid and steady latency is sight for sore eyes after using Comcast for the past 10 years"
Bad "Nothing yet. Only negative is that my package is rated at 24Mbps download and speed test's show 21 to 22 best. No biggie"
Overall "Smooth connection even while streaming Netflix on the iPad and using 2 wireless connected laptops "

·magicjack.com
·Vonage
Amazing that I placed the order early Friday morning (10/4/2013) at around 1am and had an install date of the next day Saturday morning. Install went smooth and the tech found some "bridging" issue on the line limiting my upload speeds. The installer placed a call to have it fixed. By the time he finished the install the other guy arrived to fix the bridging issue. My upload speeds average at round 2.90Mbps. That's almost exactly what's advertised. 12 month intro at $11.05 off @ 54.95 and $66 thereafter.

8/28/14 - About 10 months later (time fly's so fast) and not experiencing any issues. After 2 months I upgraded to the 45/5 power package and can even get impressive speed tests while connected via WiFi.

Comments:

dallas ebest

@75.1.100.x

double billing

Feb. a year ago my router died. I called to get a new one and was told that me old one was a relic of by gone days and no longer serviced .. had to go the newer verse route I was told it would be less expensive .. first bill arrived about triple of what the old bill was( No note that I was billed for new equipment) second bill arrived -- same thing I called your hot line and was told the problem would be corrected it was never corrected ,, according to my figures you owe me about $700 in overcharges . I have written and phoned but nothing has taken place. I called and cancelled my internet and phone. and told the person I talked to that AT&T could take their bill and service and shove it where the sunshine would never see it again . I have no intention of paying your(Obama type of billing)

Review by CmmTch See Profile

• Location: High Ridge,Jefferson,MO
Good "Ordered on 7-16-12 with DD of 7-20. On 7-20 am it's in and works great."
Bad "Nothing bad"
Overall "Upgraded from Uverse VDSL Pro 3M to 18M. Very happy with the service"

I ordered Uverse HSI 3M Pro self install ($30 per mo, no term, employee) on Monday 7-16-12, internet only, not phone or TV. Was given due date of Fri 7-20-12, received the equipment on 7-18-12, a 2wire 3600HGV 4 port modem/router. The tech showed up at 10am, appointment time was 11a to 1p. He wired at the NID, had to go back to the SAI to fix cross connect from the PG to the VRAD for dial tone both services where up at 10:45am.

I asked him about the "do not connect your modem until 8:00pm on due date" verbiage in the Uverse documentation, he said your connection is up right now and you can set up the modem and register. I did that and used my existing ID to register and all is working great.

Also the tech put a VDSL2/POTS splitter on at the NID for me, I already had a CAT5 homerun for the computer.

8-24-2014 Have upgraded to 18M down (speedtest shows 21.9M down, 1.9M up »www.speedtest.net/index.php) very happy with the service. Also using the wireless from the 3600HGV for a laptop upstairs which is working great too.

member for 12.3 years, 1979 visits, last login: 4 days ago

Comments:

Review by alanxenos See Profile

• Location: Winnetka,Cook,IL
Good "Decent price, better than DSL"
Bad "4 stream limit ATM"
Overall "Like comcast, but less painful on the rear end."

·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Broadband..
Upgraded from AT&T DSL, which for the past year has never exceeded 512Kbps down due to crappy wiring. Was visited by a att door-to-door guy around Halloween. Sold me on the U-Verse 300 channel + 18Mbps internet service. Has been installed since 11/07 and it runs great. The only issue is we have 4 receivers in the house, and there is a limit to 4 streams so if all tv's are on, we can't record something in the background. I'll give them a temporary pass, as a tech told me there would be a 6-stream upgrade within 6 months, and 8 within 12. Also, had some initial receiver issues, called at 10p on a Monday night and had a tech out with a new one at 6p on Tuesday. All in all, a good experience so far.

Update 8-19-2014 - No idea about where the whole 6/8 stream upgrade went. Still 4 streams, but the service is rock-solid.

Comments:

Anonjp

@spcsdns.net

AT&T sucks!

Where do I begin with this company. First off when requesting internet service i clearly stated that i wanted equipment sent to apt 139 and never recieved it. went looking for equipment and found it in front of apt 11 which was a model apt! After this Sent me a bill for almost $400 dollars in charges when I had already suspended my tv service with them two months prior and asked for Internet only. They then proceeded to suspend my service due to mistakes on their end and took over a month to revise my bill. Once bill was paid I requested Internet ONLY paid $100 deposit and all of a sudden there's a problem with finding a date for technician to come out. Horrible customer service! Reps set time and date to call back and never do. Tried making $100 deposit multiple times and they keep returning it to my card. Reps lie and say they left notes on account but when I call back they've magically disappeared. The last time I finally made payment and got date for technician to come out, come to find out they've accessed my bank account and have withdrawn over $800 which I did not authorize whatsoever.Called to speak to rep and was basically blown off and told that they had no knowledge of me calling in and my account number didn't exist. Called my bank and got my money back, terrible company and customer service will NEVER give this company my business again.

J mo

@172.10.73.x

Uverse sucks

I was promised faster internet when I called about Uverse I regret changing from my legacy DSL. The service people have to come to my house at least once a week. It cuts off all the time and buffers constantly. As soon as another service is available I am changing from Uverse. If you Havel DSL don't change it's a trick if they say you can go back to DSL if not satisfied

From the OC

@172.56.38.x

Re: Uverse sucks

I have legacy DSL, with DSLExtream and I am looking to switch. But I didn't want to fall into the Uverse poor service trap if Uverse had not improved from 5 years ago when my 85 year old mothers service was Slammed over to Uverse without her permission. I have been on conference calls with employees who drop off the call because Uverse froze on them.

It appears from your post "Uverse Sucks" would frustrate me if I joined a poor service. So I think I will just go with Megapath or someone other than Uverse.

DallasTxFam

@99.21.85.x

Att Uverse is TERRIBLE

I AGREE WITH J- MO 100%
ATT UVERSE HOME & BUSINESS SERVICE IS GARBAGE!!! I have both services and it CONSTANTLY GOES OUT, I'm in the process of switching providers as I type this. At my house I have gone whole weekends without service, and because I have a Bundle that means the WHOLE WEEKEND without internet & phone service! At the office we, the group of tenants in that office strip, were all Bamboozled into upgrading to Att Uverse and now we ALL experience the LOOONG EXTENDED Periods of NO SERVICE, which is crushing to a business. If you have great ATT service good for you but this is to warn future people. For MOST the service is TERRIBLE Google the customer reviews! I've posted on Neighborhood websites and the constant response back to me is "I know, this service is terrible I've just learned to accept it" and that's the problem u don't have to accept it, CANCELL THE SERVICE, THERE ARE OTHER SERVICE PROVIDERS OUT THERE!; maybe we should all switch back 2 smaller companies that still appreciate their customers b/c they know it's the consumer that keeps them in business unlike huge conglomerates WHO DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS. And tell others to do the same we can send Att Uverse and all companies a message... YOU WILL NOT MISTREAT YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS AND GET AWAY WITH IT! Don't just post negative reviews CANCEL SERVICE! We have to stop being lazy saying I don't want to bother with switching when u do that THEY WIN AND THE CONSUMER LOSES, BUT WE HAVE ALL THE POWER NOTHING IS MORE POWERFUL THAN THE DOLLAR/BUYING POWER!!!

oneoone

join:2010-01-20
Lagrange, GA

Re: Att Uverse is TERRIBLE

Stop trolling this guy's review. If you don't like the service write your own review.
Expand your moderator at work

apanapa78

@4.20.98.x

ATT is the worse company and they lie to you all the time

I always thinked that ATT was a good company but now everything is bad they lie to you with prices they treat you bad and they ignore you when you have problems. I have a plan with them for 1 week they give me a broken tables that I can even use but I paid $ 160. they open a new account for me without my authorization and they want me to pay again, this is a nightmare and I can't wake up. I had called ATT customer service 9 times in the past 2 weeks and nothing. I have the corporate number but they never answer either. ATT is a bad company and someone need to do something . I really hope that someone from ATT that cares about customer help me with all the issues I have

Review by moose See Profile

• Location: Indianapolis,Marion,IN
Good "Excellent service and value"
Bad "none"
Overall "Happy Camper!"

U450, 45 Mbps DL/6 Mbps UL

Comments:

Never again

@sbcglobal.net

They Suck!

Horrible customer service, don't show up for tech appointments, give you the run around about why service isn't functioning properly and have incompetent techs! Overall, I will never use them again and am thinking about switching my cell service now too just because the experience was so terrible. Btw, I was a customer for 2 years and they never were fully able to fix or identify the problem! Buyer beware!

texvpd

@sbcglobal.net

new search functionality

the new search came on line about a week ago. and it is very weak.
It takes way to long for an general search. and when it goes to on demanc it is now supper slow. the old interface was fine and we don't need the on demand search to look like netflicks but takes 4 times or more longer to load than netflix with no increase in user functionality

Kt

@myvzw.com

TERRIBLE.

I am currently writing this review from my 3G cell phone because our U-verse NEVER WORKS. DO NOT GET IT. For real. It's cheap but the frustration is not worth the money you save.

senta

@tmodns.net

new customer's nightmare

My ordeal started 4 days ago when i switched to them.....i still dont have service ..the first installer did a crappy job and gave me the wrong box he wasnt supposed to...on top of that he cut the comcast cable which i still have service on...they are not supposed to cut any cables without customer authorization. It took me 2 days and conuntless hours on the phone to get another technician out...he changed the box...and did some work outside ...the service was on for about an hour then the light on the box turned red and ever since i have no internet or tv....its the 4 day since the first installer came and still nothing and im a new customer....i have spent the majority of the last 4 days on hold trying to get someone who knows what they are doing with no luck.....this is the beginning of a nightmare...dont get their service they are horrible

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

I can help

YOu can click on my name on the left or post in the direct forum listed on the main page of this site.

Thanks
David

Review by snope See Profile

• Location: Merrillville,Lake,IN
Good "Somewhat Reliable Connection and Speed"
Bad "Ancient Technology in the Twenty-First Century (Where's mah fiber optikz!1)"
Overall "It's either Comcast or ATT. Thanks, Free Market!"

U-Verse Internet Elite
6 Mbps/768 kbps

Apparently, my download speed has gone down, significantly. I'm going to call and keep you posted.

I WAS on a year-long promotional deal of $30 a month that just expired. That is a MUCH more reasonable price for this slow service.