AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by HexMen See Profile

• Location: Kennesaw,Cobb,GA
Good "When all is working right it is fast."
Bad "The NVG589 doesn't do "Bridge Mode" well. And DNS is uneditable. High $$$/Mb"
Overall "I've had it 6 months, promotions have run out, my costs per/month will go up next month. Not sure if I will keep or replace."

My battle to get U-verse was long and arduous, and spanned a 3-year period.

Being a gamer and media streamer, the amount of available bandwidth, the quality of the service (lowest jitter and latency) usually meant "life or death" in games; and smooth HD playback and buffering vs under-buffered, low-res, and a stuttering playback. Over the years with Bellsouth and then AT&T, I progressed through dial-up, to DSL, to Cable (Comcast), then back to DSL for my data solution. DSL was at least consistent bandwidth in my neighborhood, compared to the oversaturation my neighborhood experienced during peak hours when I had Cable. It seemed the only truly viable solution was to pray for FTTN / Curb, or U-verse to come my way.

With massive road construction on the main road feeding my neighborhood, my copper line was cut 3 separate times by backhoe. After the first cut, I got to know a number of the Bellsouth / AT&T Techs, and was lucky enough to make contact with an Engineer. We discovered quickly that the drawings "on file" were very outdated (still showing my house as a plot ... after 7 years of living here), and it took a bit of searching to find the current outside-plant as-builts that showed the correct copper circuit builds in my area. By the end of the 3rd cut and interruption in my phone and DSL service, I had the engineer on speed-dial and worked closely with him and his local dispatch superintendent providing as much history and troubleshooting information to the techs as possible.

During that multi-year period of coordination, an opportunity arose such that U-verse expansion would be possible into my area to coincide with the road project. So working frequently with that engineer, he was able to -- with no small amount of effort and follow-up -- make the necessary updates to drawings and data-bases, and in turn, was finally able to start listing and updating addresses available for conversion to U-verse circuits from regular AT&T circuits. Not to surprisingly, I discovered that if your house isn't "on the map", you can never be eligible for upgrades.

So, the months passed. I watched a new Fiber Node go up, then new copper switches installed, then new copper cables down major streets, and finally a new copper box at the entrance of my neighborhood. Six months later I still had not been notified of availability so I started following up again. After multiple calls and a few weeks time, we discovered things had been put on hold and no restart date planned... what!!?? "But they have all the infrastructure already installed!" I complained... they responded with "..it is?" .. more coordination and research to find out none of the street project work had been updated. So, once again, and after more pushing and shoving, all the updates were done and I finally got the long awaited email notification "U-verse is now available in your area". Whew... but... the battle wasn't over yet.

I schedule a tech to come for 5 days out. When he shows up, for what ever reason, he didn't receive any of the updated circuit drawings, and the ones he had access to online were also not the new ones... *sigh* .. after an hour or so of telling him what I knew about everything, he was put in touch with someone who was able to help him update his work-ticket. He then tells me "ok, looks like the new increase bandwidth MAX will be 16Mb" .. o.O .. seriously? .. After playing twenty questions with him, I finally discover he is going to try and build the circuits back to my existing "old" switch, not using any of the new infrastructure. I put the brakes on the order, call the guy in engineering, and hand my cell to the tech after I confirmed that "using the old infrastructure" was not the plan. When the tech completed the call, he notifies me that a new work order will need to be done and that he wont be able to do the installation that day.

So, another appointment is scheduled for another 5 days out. That date arrives, there is again some confusion, but after a 10-minute guided tour of "where everything should be" the tech and I are finally on the same page. He does the circuit connections, does some testing, and when he turns it up .. BAM! .. 125Mbs available. Now THAT's what I'm talking about! But then he says, but the max I can give you is 45Mb down and 5Mb up.. *the past three years flies through my mind* .. ppftt.. ok, I'll take "that" then.

The installer couldn't figure out how to configure for me to be able to use my existing Wireless switch (i.e. turn the Motorola RG into a Bridge), so he left me with that to do and I used some online resources (this site and the AT&T forums) for putting the NVG589 "as close as possible" into Bridge Mode. By the end of the next day I was up and running. I still had concerns about a potential double NAT, but gave up on that after a 2+ hour, Technical Support call through Tiers 1 and 2, and not talking to anyone who could even figure out how "what I currently had working" even worked.. let alone see if "all was well".

So, here I sit, six months after installation with a new, yet very weird, problem. But, that's a tale to be found in a different forum. Up until now however, it has worked as it should.

Comments:

Review by Ziemowit See Profile

• Location: Gilberts,Kane,IL
Good "Hardly any outages. The internet gateway/modem is great."
Bad "45 mbps connection seems a bit laggy. Very expansive for what you're getting. Company doesn't negotiate at all."
Overall "There are only two choices for this area and the alternative is even more expansive and less reliable."

I have a 45 mbps business internet only package. The price is $120/month.

The installation was good but an hour after the person left, the internet went down and I had to wait few days for someone to come out. Since then it's been very reliable.

Currently I have a Motorola VDSL2 gateway. It works by using two lines at the same time to increase the bandwidth. Strangely enough during bandwidth tests the connection goes upto 24 mbps and then after a little-bit, jumps to full 45 mbps. I originally started with slower service, but upgrading didn't actually improve latency, it actually got worse... perhaps because use of two lines?

My only major issue is that this service in areas closer to Chicago is a lot less. 50 mbps business internet costs $55/month. This is most likely due to the fact that there is nearly no competition. MediaCom, the cable company in my area, charges $149 for the same type of service and is super unreliable. So naturally you have no choice but stay with ATT.

Comments:

Review by mshemwell See Profile

• Location: Magnolia,Montgomery,TX
Good "Fast Internet Connection"
Bad "NVG589 Wifi Connection"
Overall "Great service for the price"

You have to switch to another accesspoint for WiFi I was getting slower speeds with the NVG589 and support could not get it to improve. Bought a Netgear 6250 Router and hooked it up as a Access Point plugged into the back of the NVG589 and instantly have awesome speeds wifi throughout the whole house.

Comments:

Anon01234

@166.205.68.x

Terrible AT&T

Terrible!!! My internet goes out about every 10 minutes! It's been doing this for about a month now. I've replaced the modem and it still does it! AT&T internet is horrible!

Review by a16659235 See Profile

• Location: Dixon,Solano,CA
Good "Upload speed is near advertised "
Bad "Download speed, price, equipment failure, outages, "
Overall "I am looking at cable but have reservations"

Advertised price was $39.95 x12 mos for 18Mbps down/1.5Mbps up - was a few years ago now but service and consistent line quality is spotty at best due to the way our U-Verse is installed.
Cannot remember the initial installation but the technician was hyper friendly and was quick about the installation. However the equipment failed several times over the past few years and have had two converter boxes and routers replaced. No apparent reason for the failure. Poor quality 2Wire products.
Manufacturer: Pace Plc
Model: i3812V
U-Verse failed at every Super Bowl day, and would be out of service until the next day, failed equipment, outages for no reason, horrible download speeds

U-Verse doesn't live up to it's advertised speeds.

Comments:

Review by montana3087 See Profile

• Location: Walnut Creek,Contra Costa,CA
Good "Better speeds than DSL"
Bad "Dropped Connection all the time"
Overall "Need more consistate connection."

Speed is okay, but would like faster for the cost.
Connection problems, replaced the wi-fi but still lots of dropped connections from the "modem."

Comments:

mtadruss

@72.52.96.x

Worst experience with Customer Service

I started my service with ATT U Verse for TV, Internet and Phone Services, and the second day they disconnected the three service for unknown reason. I kept calling for 4 days no one could have helped me or explained to me the real situation. My family stayed for 5 days without TV, Internet or Phone. Can anyone imagine that!!! I canceled my service withe AT&T.

Review by smashcraft See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "Reliable connection, price compared to cable is not bad"
Bad "Customer Service "
Overall "Big improvement over cable, reliable connection, customer service is hard to deal with"

Ordered service on March 10th and had the install take place on April 21st. The technician that arrived was professional and had me up and running in about two hours. Equipment included the 2Wire/Pace 3801 gateway and one DVR.

I had U300 television installed, 12 meg internet, and unlimited telephone service. The technician re-used some CAT5 cable and connected the gateway to the NID, back-fed the telephone service to the NID on the same line, and back-fed the television over a coax run to the cable box outside.

Service is very good. The picture is crystal clear compared to Time Warner, the internet has reliable speeds, and the telephone service is excellent. The only complaint about the telephone service is that most features have to be activated and maintained via the Uverse Portal. For example, if I want to add someone to call blocking, dialing *60 will only activate and turn on the service. The ability to add a telephone number via your telephone is non-existent at this time.

I am paying 144.00 after taxes and fees with a 24 month price guarantee. Additionally, I should receive 150.00 cash back plus 100.00 cash back for ordering online. There is a 12 month contract on the internet portion of my account.

Overall, I am pleased with the service at this time. Updates will follow.

Comments:

Review by eDarryl See Profile

• Location: Pickerington,Fairfield,OH
Good "Good customer service."
Bad "Poor connection, very high latency."
Overall "Sorry AT&T, you lost me."

Why I subscribed to AT&T U-verse back in 2009 was because I wanted to consolidate my AT&T LandLine phone and AT&T DSL. U-Verse seemed to be the logical choice. I use DirecTV for television. Customer Service was very helpful and polite. They had very flexible times to schedule a tech to come and install.

Within a week, the tech came and installed TWO boxes inside my house and hung a big ass router outside my house, my phone and internet were converted to U-Verse. YAY! .. right?

First, the advertised speed was never consistent with my subscribed package. I had the 18d/2u internet package. SpeedTest.net always showed my speed as 12d/1u. Occasionally getting bumped to 15-18d but never, ever got more than 1.5d. And latency was always 50-90ms. That's unacceptable network latency. This was pretty much my connection over my 5 years with AT&T. That latency really screwed with Netflix picture clarity.

U-Verse caps at 250GB/month!

Now, the MAIN reason I left AT&T. A week after the tech left, a thunder storm came through. U-Verse modem disconnected and stayed that way until the electrical storm passed. I immediately thought "grounding issue". I went outside and verified that the router they hung on the side of my house was indeed grounded. I called AT&T and they ran some line tests and sent another tech out to verify grounding as well. Verified...all was grounded properly. The tech did replace my two boxes in my house (modem and that battery thing). Next storm that came through, I was working from home. It knocked me offline. U-Verse modem was disconnected again. I ignored it, waited for the storm to pass and then forgot about it. This went on for a few years. Finally I was online working from home doing an important presentation, storm came through and offline I went. I called AT&T first chance I got to express my frustration and insisted this issue be corrected immediately. Over that summer I had called AT&T three more times for this issue. Every tech came out, checked the wires, connections, made a mess of my wire cabinet. Still, storm came through and offline I went. Final straw.

I had been thinking about cutting the landline cord anyway. Therefore, I canceled U-Verse (both phone and internet).

I switched to Time Warner Cable, just for Internet. I got their 30d/5u package and get a strong, solid, consistent connection of 35d/6u with 15ms latency. Netflix is crystal clear HD now. Before I review TWC, let's see how TWC cable internet handles a thunderstorm and if their connection and signal stays strong and consistent as it is now.

Comments:

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

well sorry to see you go...

Thanks for trying us, and better luck next time

David
etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX

Typical of xDSL...

Disconnects during thunderstorms are typical of xDSL technologies, no matter how strong the signal is or how close you are to the DSLAM or VRAD during thunderstorms the modem/gateway will take so many errors that it will reboot.

Cable is also vulnerable but it can handle much more and probably will not disconnect. I found a very informative site here.

»adslm.dohrenburg.net/troubleshoo···ence.php

»adslm.dohrenburg.net/
tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
·T-Mobile US
·Speakeasy

Re: Typical of xDSL...

Your link describes aDSL interference at 40 miles.. With my >12kft CO aDSL loop I could detect them out to 250 miles, within 60 miles aDSL was almost useless.

Some aDSL modems behaved very badly with noise.. Alcatel/Lucent I.E.. exceeding some limited noise threshold triggering a 10 second retraining operation, every 60 seconds.

Encapsulation protocols like PPPoE made the lost packets even worse..

For a while, I was an alpha site for DirectvDSL improving their retraining algs.

But then the powers that be killed off the aDSL division after the blocked Dish merger, and cut loose 1/4 million aDSL customers.

Review by wheelbarrow See Profile

• Location: Kansas City,Clay,MO
Good "Consistent speeds, good latency."
Bad "I wish the speeds were faster for what I'm paying."
Overall "U-Verse seems to be a good option for internet service."

·Windstream
Update 5/26/2014:

Speeds and latency have been consistent. Despite paying for 18 Mbps, I'm getting 22 Mbps due to over-provisioning. I'm still unable to subscribe to the 24 Mbps or higher packages.

AT&T recently bumped up the equipment costs per month to $7 for the modem/router. I wasn't too impressed with that move, and I'm still not.

I will be moving over to Google Fiber within the next few months, as signups were recently made available to my location. I still consider U-Verse to be a decent option if Google Fiber is not available - though the price does seem to be a little high in comparison to other providers in the area, of which offer faster speeds. Considering how badly AT&T is going to be whipped once Google Fiber actually starts service in northern Kansas City, you'd think they would try to be a little bit more competitive.

Comments:

DAg Aligaz

@23.127.18.x

Disappointed Customer with AT&T U-verse

I was out of internet/AT &T U-verse/ for one week
lost all times and money from 5/6/ 2014 through 5/13/2014 I called tech support and they told me they gonna send me a new modem. I got the modem arrived after couple days later and I called them back, to let them knew that I had the same problems "not working”…...the AT&T U-verse Rep. apologized me for inconvenent she told me that their is a network problems around my areas they promised me to be solved within the next day which they did fixed the problems. I send back the box/modem next day and they received it no problem. The funny parts now they send me additional $100 dollars bills on the top of my regular bills…no reason why?. I called back waited about (24.19 minute) to speak to someone. I talked to Rep. ’ after waisting time she told me that I have to pay this extra $100 dollars and then later I’ll get it back in three month as a crdit .
They got wonderful system right…??? they can’t take it out this $100 dollars from there system right away according she said and apologized again …… Wow…..
I’ll wait 3 month to get my ($100dollars) credit back!
Great service AT&T U-verse….!
I was very disappointed losing time, money and I got to scwed-up charged $100.

Review by u35828 See Profile

• Location: Evanston,Cook,IL
Good "Easy to Transition to U-Verse Express from Elite"
Bad "Service Unreliable, distance from CO a problem"
Overall "Switch if you can"

I had some connection reliability issues with the U-Verse Elite speed tier (6M/768K); it was recommended that I downgrade to Express (1.5M/384K) due to issues associated with distance from the CO. Hell, they might as well be using copper runs from the Coolidge administration, given my building's age. My neighborhood doesn't have one of those fancy AT&T roadside cabinets.

The service at the new tier is not at all reliable; I've had to reboot the Motorola ADSL2+ modem on numerous occasions whenever there's a connection failure in diagnostics. As for power being an issue; the Motorola device gets its power from an APC Smart-UPS 1500.

Comments:

upset

@70.194.193.x

more speed on my Internet

Simple job turned into a three day disaster. Still have no cable or internet. No one has the same answer to the problem. Tech. Comes out and nothing is resolved. Two so far.

Review by TNBronco See Profile

• Location: Memphis,Shelby,TN
Good "All of it!"
Bad "Haven't seen anything yet"
Overall "Great service, no hiccups, wish I had switched sooner"

U450, HD, 12meg internet, VoIP.

Ordered online, process was pretty simple. Point and click, verified the install date and time. Was given an install window for the morning of 04/25, between 9AM and 11AM. Got a call from the technician named "Marcus" at 8:50 to tell me he was on his way. Installer was VERY polite, and even put slip covers over his shoes before he came in. (which I told him not to worry about, but he insisted) He did some testing on the lines at the back of the house and went down the street to wire up the service, he had my new modem (Motorola NVG589) up and my internet service running within an hour of showing up. I only have 2 TVs in the house, but I signed up for 3 (so I could justify getting a new TV for my office). He put the DVR (Cisco) in my office and setup 2 wireless boxes for my other TVs, one of which is on the top floor of my split level home, with the office on the bottom floor, so I was a little worried that it would be a problem, but he swore it would work with no issues, and so far, he has been right.

Overall I've been really impressed. I had DirecTV and BellSouth DSL for the last 10 years, both of which worked just fine (but my DSL was limited to 1.5mbps, uggg!) I've seen some reviews that said the picture quality on at&T wasn't as good as Direct, but I don't see that. I've got just as good a picture on everything, my wife swears the HD is better, but I can't say either way. My internet speed is noticeably faster, and the installer did a great job of walking the whole house measuring the wifi strength, and he even set up my old linksys wireless router as an AP to boost the signal on the other end of the house. Internet streams netflix in HD with no issue and no buffering, even when my daughter gets on the wifi with her laptop.

I'll update this again after I've had it 30 days to see what, if any issues come up, but so far, I'm impressed.