AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by rab See Profile

• Location: Saratoga,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Fast (compared to old AT&T DSL), very reliable"
Bad "AT&T billing/customer support is nightmarish"
Overall "Happy, once they figured out how to bill (3 months of crap)"

The service is great. Fast and reliable.
Installation was pretty painless.
The customer support is as bad as Comcast, maybe worse. Mixing wireless, UVerse and "home phone" services and billing, these guys don't know how to route a call. Add to that the geographic differences ("Oh, you're in California -- I'll transfer you...") and you'll never speak to someone who knows anything.
Billing is able to adjust your bill UNTIL you reach a $100 adjustment, at which point, no one at AT&T has authority. So, never have them owe you $100 or more.
Now that I pay what I contracted for, I'm happy.

Comments:

rock122

@108.220.141.x

DVR box

The DVR stops working at times. This very very annoying. When the technician come to repair it, he can never fine anything wrong. All the other services work well except of course the TV service.

Jrstobbe1058

@99.175.90.x

Re: DVR box

Is your DVR wired via coax or Ethernet? I'm betting it's coax. If possible use a Ethernet wire. Needs to be connected to the RG/modem (yellow port)

Review by psiu See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Oakland,MI
Good "We have internet"
Bad "Slow on nights and weekends"
Overall "it sort of works"

Moved to a new city and options were limited, ended up with Uverse. We signed up for a 12 month package, internet only, $55/month at 24 download, and they are evasive on the upload. Appears to be 2 mbps upload. Pretty disappointing after years on Comcast.

Install tech was competent and got everything up and running. There was an issue where somewhere in the process a login name was spelled wrong, took a couple weeks to resolve in the great grinding maw of AT&T.

Had to pay for equipment, had to pay for install (no self install option, despite the fact I am an IBEW LU 58 LE Installer/Tech -- I was like, "I AM A PROFESSIONAL", but alas, the website ignored my pleas).

It appears to bog down in the evenings and weekends, which is hilarious since it was always the selling point of the phone companies that they offered a direct connection and the cable company shared their hookups...evidently the cable co's didn't have their back end running on a bunch of dial up modems though.

I hate our bought and paid for American telecom infrastructure setup, no choices, no speed...ugh. It was like choosing between a free colonoscopy with 2 ingrown nail removals or a year long subscription to catheter insertion services with bonus blood draws every time. WHERE DO I SIGN UP?!?

Comments:

Review by jrstobbe82 See Profile

• Location: Oak Creek,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Everything... Internet speeds & picture quality"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Great value for a great service!"

Uverse has been great. I had it before at my last apt & had no issues, got it installed at my new apt. 2 months ago and it has been working great. My internet speeds are always in the tier I am paying for, I am able to stream online content & play online gaming without any issues. No complaints here, install was professional. And for some reason my hd picture seems sharper than what I was previously getting from twc. I have the u300 package with hd programming and 2 STB's(1 wireless). What I love is the fact that I can log into ATT's website or directly into my nvg589 RG and run diagnostic tests when ever I want. The price is fair, I'd rather pay a few extra bucks for a better product.

Comments:

Terrible

@104.15.50.x

Uverse

The absolute WORST customer service! You are promised one thing when you first get it then magically your promotions end before there supposed to and your bill raises an unreasonable amount. It took me 4 phone calls and I talked with 6 different people to get them to correct their mistake. I am extremely disappointed and wish I would have stayed with direct tv.

Review by CaliNine See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Customer service, and technical support"
Bad "High ping, internet doesn't drop just shows 30-47 mbps at times"
Overall "If you want reliable internet and good customer support, at&t."

Great customer service and technical support overall. Only issues I have is a high ping I had 10-14 ping with my previous provider now I have around 25-30 which to some is not a big deal but I mostly use my internet for gaming. Also my XboX One doesn't receive the full speeds which on speedtest it shows 47mbps I get about 20-30mbps with a 140 ping on previous provider I get around 20-30 ping and the full speeds I paid for. Both are connected through ethernet cable. Technician is coming today hopefully fixes the issue.

UPDATE: I decided to cancel the service they did offer me 1 year contract $47 for 45mbps but I don't want to be tied down to a contract.

member for 100 days, 148 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by BellaStorm See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Fast Activation"
Bad "WIFI on NVG510"

Ordered service, and 3 days later it was working. Modem shipped the day after I ordered service, and arrived on the day service was activated.

They sent a NVG510, in which the WIFI that was built in didn't work good (3Mbps on my 12Mbps connection). However it was easy enough to set-up and use my own WIFI router.

So far, our new service works great.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update: Cancelled service.

member for 135 days, 116 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by SteelersFan See Profile

• Location: Rockwall,Rockwall,TX
Good "Faster than DSL; easy installation/configuration; great price"
Bad "Router Wireless b/g only"
Overall "Best price and deal for the area"

UPDATE (06/14): Running an ASUS RTN-66U as a bridge to the Motorla NVG589 (Uverse supplied). Followed the instructions on the AT&T message boards and everything seems to be working smoothly. Now on the best speed plan and getting about 47 Mbps down and 5 Mbps. Very little downtime on the network. Pleased with the results.

UPDATE (pre 2014): So for the past 4 months (from April to August) my UVerse Internet would go down periodically. I must have called AT&T support about 8 times and had a tech out at least four. The last technician did something the others didn't. He made sure I had a homerun going from my outside box to the wall with my router. Fortunately for me, I had a patch panel for my phone line in my master closet which made it easy for him to identify which specific line it was without needing to go into my attic. Once he hooked it up (about 10 minutes later), I was basically error free on the line. I also was able to upgrade my speed from 12Mbps down to now 24Mbps down.

It seems to be working good now albeit the other morning I woke up and had a connection issue again for about 2 minutes. Also, I have a Netgear b/g/n wireless router piggybacked to the 2Wire router and for some reason my older laptop has trouble maintaining a sync with the Netgear router now which it never did before. I worked around the problem by just activating both wireless routers, but did find that odd. Other than those two issues, service has been good. Speakeasy speed tests show maximum thoroughput and I was greatly impressed and appreciative of the service provided by the AT&T technician until the problem was solved.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Long time DSL user averaging about 3Mbps down. Decided to take the plunge and upgrade to U-Verse Internet and Voice. They were running a special for the Internet with about $12 off each month. Combined with Voice I was able to cut my Internet and phone bill in half for 4 times the Internet speed and many more voice options.

I opted for the self-install which basically is AT&T mailing me out (it took two weeks) a 2Wire 3600hgv router/modem, some cables and a fairly large (and expensive looking) power back-up device. The back-up device is intended to support my Voice services if the power ever fails, but it looks big and powerful enough to probably maintain power to the router for a limited time. I was saddened when I discovered the 2Wire didn't have wireless "n" as I just purchased a Netgear router/modem which gave me that functionality. After some research, I later decided to set-up the Netgear as a WAP to maintain my "n" speed behind the 2Wire router. Works good albeit I lose a lot of the Netgear router options.

On the day of install, I received a call from an local AT&T technician who said everything was hooked up and ready to go. I didn't even need to be home! That night I plugged in the 2Wire. The configuration was very similar to my DSL service with the exception that, because I now had Voice, I had to plug a phone (not DSL line) directly into the 3600 as well as the DSL line. I plugged my laptop directly into the 2Wire and went through the set-up.

The set-up was very detail oriented. Probably too much so as I have a pretty decent technical background. When I got to the part in the set-up where I was required to activate Voice, nothing worked. I had no dial tone on my phone. I called the support line and spoke to someone who went through the typical questions and finally informed me that my Voice activation date wasn't until the following day. I found this odd since all of my activation paperwork indicated that day as the activation date. I was a little disheartened because the technician wasn't 100% sure. Wouldn't you know it though, my Voice was up-and-running the following day.

In sum, I can't believe I waited this long to try U-Verse Internet. The speeds are about 4 times faster than what I was getting with DSL and with the exception of no built-in wireless "n", there really isn't much to complain about. The features that Voice gave me with the ability to check calls on the Internet and more make this a complete package that I would recommend.

Comments:

Terry M

@165.207.0.x

u-verse junk

The U-verse system as a whole is junk. More down than in service. The third tear (BEST) service person could not fix it. More that twenty times they were called. They claimed the lines were falty. ATT lines same company, what a joke.

Review by jcar See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Fast speeds as advertised, reliable / stable"

I've always heard that AT&T's U-verse internet was horrible. I was biased I must admit against this service but am pleasantly surprised now that I have it. I just purchased a new home and due to the new neighborhood we don't have cable in the area so this is the only service I could get. The installer came out and even though it was about 150 degrees in my attic pulled CAT6 cable to my router location and the cable box connection. Once the service was up and running I immediately did a speed test online and got just about the same speed if not better than a cable modem. I initially had a 51 Mbps download and 6 upload. The stable numbers now are around 49 download and 6 upload so I am currently very happy.

Comments:

Marinla

@72.190.99.x

Installation

AT&T schedule my installation I stay in home waiting to find out that they had cancel the installation, didn't give a reason or who canceled, I am trying to have another date and they are no help. Really socks be on their hands and are unable to do anything I will look for another provider, AT&T lost my business.

Review by ortizdr See Profile

• Location: Euless,Tarrant,TX
Good "Steady as a rock connection wise and fast"
Bad "Took a lot of complaining to get them to acknowledge me being green"
Overall "Once you get them to actually start research, they usually pull through"

After having U-Verse ADSL2 for a year I noticed that some of our neighbors were on VDSL. The online database said only ADLS2. The normal tech support and sales channels did not help. I reached out to the social media team and Direct support here on the forums. After having them research my address it was determined I was green for VDSL. They scheduled a Saturday installation and came out within 3 days as they had to disconnect my ADSL2 line to put through the order. The onsite tech was AWESOME! He was professional and very helpful and insightful. He even went as far as to condition my second pair to my house in hopes I would get pair bonding in the future! I have had it for almost 6 months and it is solid. Never had a problem with it. I am in a newer neighborhood so our copper is newer, but I am extremely happy with our service and pricing. They discounted the modem and internet since I had to "go through the trouble" of ordering. I am just happy it works!!

member for 216 days, 181 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jimmyc65 See Profile

• Location: Brookhaven,Lincoln,MS
Good "Getting Speeds that I ordered"
Bad "none yet"
Overall "Love the speed so far and have U-Verse TV"

Back with AT&T after several years. Been with Cable One for a while and had their internet and tv service. When U-Verse became available I jumped on it. I had talked with several friends who had it and loved it.

Only had it a few days but love the internet and TV service. The process was painless and handled professorially, Mitchell the AT&T installer handled his business and install was done in a timely matter.

Over all very pleased so far!!

Comments:

mercedesgb

@107.220.83.x

breach of contract

Apparently AT&T thinks that they can arbitrarily breach contracts. Even if you have a 12 month contract with them they can increase your monthly premium and if you complaint they really don't care. But if you dare to cancel services before the 12 months are up, they charge you cancellation fees. I guess the contract is a one way contract.

Review by nwrickert See Profile

• Location: Geneva,Kane,IL
Good "Good reliable service"
Bad "No DNS configuration options in the supplied router (RG 3800HGV)"
Overall "Good value"

I was previously using AT&T dsl, barely getting the PRO package (3 mb/s). With U-verse, I am easily getting 6 mb/s and could go up to 18 mb/s if I should need that. We are perhaps 1500 to 2000 feet from the VRAD, well within the range for reliable service.

We went to U-verse because of the TV. The alternative is comcast, and we don't much like that company. We were using over-the-air TV, but that became more iffy after the switch to HDTV.

Update April 2010, after 6 months service:

The service continues to be reliable. The price just went up, because the six month new-subscriber discount has expired.

TV is reliable and high quality. Telephone (u-verse voice) has been reliable, and higher quality than we had with POTS. And the elite 6mb/s) internet continues to work well. That the nominally dynamic IP never changes (thus de facto static) is an extra bonus.

I continue to use my own router in DMZplus mode, behind the RG, so that I can have DNS settings available. I briefly tested using the DNS support through the RG, but that did not work out very well (see »So much for 6.1.9.24-enh.tm )

Update Oct 2010, after 12 months of service.

The service continues to work well, as reported above. The main change over the last 6 months, was to remove my own router from DMZplus mode. I am still using my own router, but as an ordinary client. I made this change, because I found that the router was occasionally losing its WAN IP address (apparently the dhcp renewal was failing). Service has been reliable with the router as an ordinary client. I am forwarding ports 22 and 25 to my router in RG settings, then forwarding them to my desktop computer in my router settings.

I am still using the same defacto static IP that I was assigned over a year ago.

Update April 2011. The only change since my last update was to increase the Internet speed to the 12 MB/s download speed. Service continues to be reliable, and I still have the same IP address.

Update Oct. 2011. It is now more than 2 years since installation. Service continues to he highly reliable. In the April 2010 update, I mentioned that the new subscriber discount had ended. I forgot to adjust the monthly price at that time. I have now corrected that (see top of review).

Update May 2012. The service continues to be highly reliable. There was a recent firmware update that might be cause for concern. It removed the ability to use 10.*.*.* as a private IP on the LAN. I'm not using that, so it isn't an immediate problem. But it hints that they might start assigning 10.*.*.* as WAN ip addresses soon. If this is a hint that they are about to provide IPv6, and use 10.*.*.* as an IPv4 fallback during the transition, then that is good news. If, on the other hand, they intend sticking with IPv4, and will use 10.*.*.* to conserve IP addresses, then that is bad news. I guess I will have to wait and see.

Update Dec 2012. There has been no change since the last update.

Update June 2013. The price has increased (shown in listing). The gateway modem/router (2Wire 3800HGV-B) was performing poorly last week, so I rebooted it. That is almost 15 months since the last reboot. There has not been any other change or problem of note. We still do not have IPv6, though the firmware update for that is said to be coming real soon now.

Update Dec 2013: Mostly continued good service. There were two events of note. In October, the RG3800 gateway router stopped responding. I had to power-cycle it. That's the first time I have had that problem in 4 years of service. In September, the gateway firmware was upgraded to a newer version. I had thought that was supposed to bring us IPv6. But still no IPv6. It's about time AT&T got this working.

Update June 2014: The main change is that I now have IPv6. In May, I noticed that the RG had been upgraded to the "6.11.1.29-plus.tm" firmware. So I headed over to the site "https://esupport.att3.2wire.com/online-tool/compat-index.jsp" to check IPv6. That site said that everything was IPv6 compatible, and gave me a link to click in order to activate. I did that. Since then, IPv6 has been working well.

member for 9.9 years, 6545 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

lou

@107.25.122.x

customer non service

Those a holes make it easy to add extra "service", but when you cancel a package (I added the sports package), you have to call them on the phone and waste 45 minutes on the phone. F'n jerks.

coolwatersrw

@sbcglobal.net

Customer Service From Hell

I am very unhappy with my experience with AT&T Uverse. When I called in to AT&T Uverse, I found the automated system cumbersome and time consuming. The system forces you to select choices that are inaccurate for what their customers need. Then, once I did got a live human, although they were friendly, they spent too much time researching an answer to my question only come to the conclusion they did not know the answer. All in all, I spent over an hour traversing through the AT&T phone system only to be disappointed by the ineptness of those who tried to assist me. If you are looking are a company that provides great customer care to their customers AT&T Uverse is NOT the place for you. (Even the form I used to fill out my complaint wasn’t easy to find or use.) My suggestion: Find another company who knows how to treat customers because AT&T Uverse does not.