AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by CompTech210 See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "Tier 2 Is the best in getting any sort of issue resolved."
Bad "Wiring in the area creates a very long loop length from the VRAD"
Overall "YMMV Wiring Wise but if it shows available i recommend you give it a try."

As of August 2014 I moved back to U-Verse as the 45/6 internet package became available and I couldn't stand DirecTV anymore with the constant price hikes and no extra add ons being given. Plus faster internet is a plus when i manage multiple servers at once.

initial order was:
45/5 Internet
Home Phone Unlimited
U200 + HD + HBO + 3 Wired Receivers (Two eventually switched to wireless for free later)

The install was a full rewire due to I still had DirecTV installed and running for a few days to test everything so the installer and his apprentice ran 4 new Ethernet runs from my server closet where the modem was to be placed to the three TV's and one to where my old DSL Modem was to backfeed a switch.
The switch fed three legacy ethernet runs i hadn't moved over yet to the new closet arrangement as i was still getting things configured on the PfSense box.
As of XMAS 2014 I ran all new lines to the equipment and removed that switch from operation so now I have a spare ethernet jack in my living room for any extra devices/lan party activities.

For the install they sadly started with a faulty NVG589, Within one hour of being online the modem started dropping service on both VDSL links and would drop/loose all configuration settings relating to passthrough mode for all internet data to my router.
It was an easy swap since they were still on site doing the TV setups and they noticed the issues with the links dropping before I had.

Other then that the TV Service has been rock solid! I subscribe to the U200 Package with HBO added on.

Internet is speedy fast and reliable, haven't had any downtime yet with an uptime on the NVG598 of 75+ days thanks to the provided BBU and my UPS keeping all the rest of my networking equipment online.

Sadly due my to line distance from the VRAD the 55/6 profile is as fast as I can possibly go with AT&T for the time being as my Max Sync on both lines is 31 and 34 Mbps respectively.
Other then that I am very pleased with the service and with the reliability and uptime.

Comments:

Buttcheeks

@charter.com

45/6

To qualify for he 45 Meg HSIA you must be within 2000 feet from the SAI. Please post a screen shot of the residential gateway diagnostic page. If each cable pair only shows a maximum of 31 and 32 Meg, you might either have a possible bridge tap issue, or possibly still be serviced by an "F" card hat has a much lower max attainable on the upload and download.
CompTech210

join:2008-09-14
San Antonio, TX
·AT&T DSL Service
·Clearwire Wireless

Re: 45/6

My current line stats.
I am on a K line card and the line techs cleaned up my lines by removing all bridge taps and other possible issues.

The lines are working great FEC count is about 200 an hour from what I am seeing and all services are working perfectly.

ATT retiree

@73.44.39.x
Uverse SUCKS!!! I am a retired AT&T employee. I had DSL for quite a few years and decided to go with Uverse. Little did I know that what AT&T said was available to me was not TRUE UVERSE, and DID NOT work through a VRAD. I ordered 6.0 mbps and AT&T couldn't get it to work at my location because I was told I am too far from the Central Office where the signal comes from. Consequently, I couldn't get the Uverse service, but THEY WOULD NOT REPLACE MY DSL SERVICE. (even as a retiree from AT&T) I cancelled the service completely and got Comcast -- THE BEST MOVE I COULD HAVE MADE. IT WAS ALL DONE WITH ONE (1) PHONE CALL, UNLIKE WHAT IT TOOK WITH AT&T TO ESTABLISH SERVICE. And, Comcast is 20 times faster than the Uverse they were trying to install for me, and less money as well. AT&T is going backwards, and their products, as well as their service, is diminishing rapidly.

Buttcheeks

@charter.com
To qualify for the 45 Meg HSIA you must be within 2000 feet from the SAI. Please post a screen shot of the residential gateway diagnostic page. If each cable pair only shows a maximum of 31 and 32 Meg, you might either have a possible bridge tap issue, or possibly still be serviced by an "F" card hat has a much lower max attainable on the upload and download.

Review by Nuckfuts See Profile

• Location: Joliet,Will,IL
Good "Total Home DVR, good internet speeds, wireless RG, service is always up, no downtime."
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Internet is always up and HD PQ has improved. Bigger HDD in DVR and new dvr is alot smaller and compact."

·DIRECTV
U-Verse was installed on 6/30/2008. U200 with HD and 6/1 internet. Kept the POTS line for awhile. Initially install was suppose to be on 6/3/2008. Prem tech came out then went to the VRAD only to come back and tell me it is not available yet even though they called me and said it was. Customer service was clueless. I was pissed. My brother-in-law is a CO Tech for AT&T. I immediately called him and he got a manager to call me with all the apologies and explanations as to why it is not up. Seems engineering and CS do not communicate so XBOX and VRAD were not wired yet, just the VRAD was active. So to start my first U-Verse experience was not so good. Just a note, if you ever have issues contact Tier 2 here, they are excellent at getting you taken care of. I will start with the TV first, then internet, and then VOIP which I just got last year. Also, 1000' from the VRAD and currently on the 32/5 profile with 1SD/3HD, 24/3 internet, and unlimited VOIP. Live in a newer subdivision with underground utilities and newer copper. My max sync in the RG is around 60,000.

1. IPTV - Just ordered DirecTV on 5/14/2011. I cannot stand watching U-verse over-compressed crappy HD PQ anymore. I refuse to pay for it and will be cancelling it on 5/21/11 when DirecTV is installed. I liked the whole home DVR but everyone is going with that now. I would not recommend U-verse HD to anyone. I am 900' feet from the VRAD and no line issues.

2. Internet- I am currently on the 18/1.5 package. I never had any problems with this service except an RG swap and new homerun last year and I am a loyal AT&T internet customer but that might change in the future due to the caps. I am a gamer and play mostly on Xbox LIVE and host full rooms with no issues and everyone loves the connection and to be honest I really did not get too much higher ping times when I switched. I had DSL prior which was 6/768 profile and my pings where normally on first hop 15-19ms. U-Verse first hops are around 19-28ms. I have had internet with AT&T since 2002 in the SBC days and started with the 384/128 package and never had issues, downtimes, etc. This is AT&T's strong point for me. My internet has always been excellent. It does also always help to have a family member keeping an on on my line all the time too!!!

3. VOIP - I had it activated in July of '09. On the unlimited plan for $33/month. Has been down twice for very short periods due to outages according to AT&T. It had alot of background noise at first but is pretty clear now. Works as intended and is cheaper than POTS. That is the plus for me. I do not use the phone too much but the wife has family down south so no more long distance bills!!! Overall I would say I am satisfied with the VOIP.

So in conclusion, I am pretty happy with my service and price. I am not a big fan of the heavily compressed HD and limited streams so if I had to rate U-verse out of 10 I would give it an 4. Why you say? Because of their HD feed, limited streams, only 1 DVR, and not up to par Tier 1 customer service and possible bandwidth caps. Thanks for stopping by.....

Returned to U-Verse 11/8/14. Even though the sales people are still idiots and totally messed up the order and install date and after 3 weeks of phone calls and escalated emails to the office of the president of AT&T the install went well and my service works great. I am glad U-Verse finally put 500GD HDD in their dvr's and I like the new motorola dvr. The NVG589 gateway kinda sucks as I liked the 3800 better but the NVG was needed for pair-bond. I have U450 with 45/6 internet. Got a 2 year promo due to all their mistakes so I pay $135 plus tax per month. I must say at least in my area the HD picture has drastically improved and is just as good as Comcast. Still not up to par with DirecTV but it will do. Overall, so far I am satisfied.

Comments:

Review by sfogliatelle See Profile

• Location: Baton Rouge,East Baton Rouge,LA
Good "30% less expensive than similar Cox bundle"
Bad "internet more than 30% slower than Cox; many issues with their HDTV "
Overall "if you're able to really & truly get their top tier fiber, it's worth considering"

·Cox HSI
My household went for the U-verse triple bundle: U-300 TV, U-verse Internet Max Plus and two phone lines. We also have HBO (free for the two years), Showtime, Starz, Encore, TMC, HD on three of the five boxes.

The 'main' box is a Motorola NVG589 Gateway. In my room is a Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) IPN330HD. Cat5 was run throughout the house up to the attic to all boxes. A Netgear switch box was installed next to the NVG589. The installer was accommodating to install a dual-outlet ethernet box so I could directly attach my Roku 3. The install literally took all day.

What surprised me most was the more than 30% savings (total for services less taxes & fees) the ultimate bill from AT&T was to have been over staying with Cox. In our case that translated to almost $800 a year. Price is to be honored for 24 months according to the rep, and the cancellation fee from Cox should be more than made up by rebate/promo Visa cards, courtesy of AT&T in a piggy-back referral system.

Our residential location is just a smidgen too far for FTTP so we're FTTN, which limits download speed and hence, streaming capabilities. I forget what specific technical tier AT&T call it, but we're definitely not getting the speeds we did while we were with Cox.

I've experienced a few episodes of buffering with Amazon Prime HD. It didn't last more than a few moments. By comparison, this hasn't happened with Netflix HD streaming. All things considered, the internet speed, while certainly not consistent, is more than adequate for my surfing/streaming habits.

I don't use the phones here so I can't honestly comment on the service. It *is* VOIP and no longer a hard wire land line though.

As for the TV, well, that's another story, and not a very personally pleasing one. There have been many times where the HD image has become pixelated and pauses. Very annoying. The remote has a tendency to become slow, lethargic and not responsive, also very annoying. These symptoms may be the result of our proximity to whatever-they-call-the-magic-junction box; I never did get down all the infrastructure lingo. What's even more annoying is that it appears to take user self-service to constantly remedy these issues. From what I've read on the U-verse forums The AT&T Powers That Be are well aware of these but have not as yet taken steps to alleviate them.

member for 12.8 years, 3661 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

EdHusk

@sbcglobal.net

Recording shows with AT&T

I biggest issue we have seen in our household is that when the DVR is recording, at least one TV will not respond in any way. You keep getting the message to interrupt a TV or your only options are to watch what is being recorded (then what's the point) or stop recording (again what is the point).

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA
·Cox HSI

Re: Recording shows with AT&T

said by EdHusk :

- OR, view a program previously recorded, which is 95% of the time what I do.

Still, like many of the other U-verse DVR annoyances I'd mentioned, not being within prime proximity to the outside magic boxes, and as a result limiting your system's download speed, makes for user/subscriber irritation.

Review by RXDOC See Profile

• Location: Palatine,Cook,IL
Good "Quick time from order to install...solid speed...good price."
Bad "Location of Modem was not ideal...had to have a second visit for battery backup"
Overall "Happy with the product so far"

Had a professional install for both U-verse Voice and 24 MAX Pro (price waived). The installer was on time and came the day after my order was placed. He did a great job in checking all potential sites for the best possible connection. The modem had to go in a spot that was not ideal, but workable (MDU) for the best signal.

The speeds are as advertised and have been solid via WI-FI.

I have been very happy with the service and customer service thus far.

Comments:

Review by r81984 See Profile

• Location: Katy,Harris,TX
Good "Nothing, They are a monopoly"
Bad "Everything, ATT has no idea what they are doing."
Overall "Avoid unless you have no reasonably priced alternatives."

·row44
I had a 6meg adsl line. I moved apartments in the same complex. One building over. They said my new building had Uverse instead of adsl.
The person I called at the 1800 move website said I would have to give them $100 for a new modem. He said I could not buy a used Uverse modem off ebay for $50, they would not activate it.
Then he said he cant switch the adsl to Uverse and had to transfer me to a Uverse tech. The Uverse tech also confirmed I cannot activate a used Uverse modem and I would have to pay them $100 for a new modem. He said the modem I already own for adsl will also not work for Uverse. Well he says he cant set me up and has to transfer me to sales. I get on hold for 25 minutes and hang up. I call back the 1800 move number and this person says he can do everything.
I saw online that some people got a $100 gift card, and because I asked he would give me that to. He set up the Uverse and said I would get my modem in 3 days and my service would be activated the same day. Then he says he cant cancel my adsl account and must transfer me to someone else. WTF??? Why cant 1 person do everything at ATT??? Its all the same damn computer system.
Anyways they wasted 1hr and 30 minutes of my life just to switch my adsl from one apartment to another next door to each other.
Then 2 days later I get an email saying they ran out of Uverse modems and now I have to wait another 9 days to get it.
I hate ATT!!!!! They used to be the best ISP and now they suck. Dont forget they have a 150GB cap which not one person setting me up said anything about caps or asked if I agree to any caps or overage fees. They set me up with a 6meg Uverse line.
----------
Update - 1 month
----------
I signed up for the $25 a month plan and they charged me $48, so now I will probably have to waste hours on the phone for them to fix the billing problems.

I hate ATT.

-----------
Update 1/24/14
-----------

I have 18 meg plan and I have to call every year to keep it at the $28/mo price otherwise it goes to over $50.
Speedtest.net
19ms pings
10.23 mbps down and .96 mbps up

»www.att.com/speedtest/
10.86 mbps down and .97 mbps up

But, the NVG510 modem was pure garbage and did not work right. It had disconnect issues that required reboots every few days for 3 months. ATT support kept sending me replacements and I ended up with 3 NVG510 modems that all had the same stupid problems. I still have them not being used in my closet.
I bought a used 2210-02-1ATT off ebay and that older modem worked without any issues. Did not have to ever call support again.
Connection has worked flawlessly for 2 years. Only had to reset modem 1 time.

Pro - if you can live with slower speeds then it is cheaper than comcast.
As far as I know there are no caps. Last month I used over 350 GB.
Con - Some of their modems are garbage and dont work.

Comments:
mitchflorida

join:2004-09-01
Deerfield Beach, FL

Monopoly?

You must not know the definition of monopoly.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

Re: Monopoly?

You must not know what the definition of a monopoly is. You are confused.
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX

350TB?

I don't think it is possible to use 350TB on a 18Mbps connection in a month. I think you meant GB.

Different

@sbcglobal.net

Not quite

By the way, ATT Uverse and Att "legacy" DSL dont use the same computer systems. There is a BIG WALL inbetween the two. Why? UVERSE is ip based services, thus doesn't fall under the same rules for "legacy" imposed by the PUC! Uverse mirrors more like Comcast, not regulated ad older DSL & POTS.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
·row44

Re: Not quite

said by Different :

You talk like computers cant talk to each other.
If only there was some kind of inter net of cables to connect computers.

FYI, everyone knows the difference between Uverse IP-DSLAM ADSL2/2+ and their older ATM DSLAM ADSL services. ATT clearly mismanaged everything in their transition. They actually used the transition to steal money from customers.
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Review by ortizdr See Profile

• Location: Euless,Tarrant,TX
Good "Steady as a rock connection!"
Bad "Took a lot of complaining to get them to acknowledge me being green"
Overall "Once you get them to actually start research, they usually pull through"

After having U-Verse ADSL2 for a year I noticed that some of our neighbors were on VDSL. The online database said only ADLS2. The normal tech support and sales channels did not help. I reached out to the social media team and Direct support here on the forums. After having them research my address it was determined I was green for VDSL. They scheduled a Saturday installation and came out within 3 days as they had to disconnect my ADSL2 line to put through the order. The onsite tech was AWESOME! He was professional and very helpful and insightful. He even went as far as to condition my second pair to my house in hopes I would get pair bonding in the future! I have had it for almost 6 months and it is solid. Never had a problem with it. I am in a newer neighborhood so our copper is newer, but I am extremely happy with our service and pricing. They discounted the modem and internet since I had to "go through the trouble" of ordering. I am just happy it works!!

member for 1.1 years, 368 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by WaukMan See Profile

• Location: Waukesha,Waukesha,WI
Good "The site tech"
Bad "The sales group"
Overall "Will stay with ATT/Uverse"

This is long and involved review due to problems with the original order. I am coming from DSL and POTS service. I had two POTS lines and moved one to MagicJack. I called ATT to make sure there was nothing blocking the port out and the person on the line convinced me to place an order that day. I was told I could cancel or modify the order as needed. My main concern was to make sure that one of my numbers was ported out BEFORE the move to Uverse. I selected a date several weeks out to give me time to adjust as needed.

The port happened a few days later and I called to reschedule. I was told I couldn't. No one could explain why. During that call I also discovered that the order was all goofed up. It seems my speed that I wanted was wrong, and the fact that I wanted to keep my old POTS number also was not captured. I was assured that the problem could be fixed. The individual was also able to give me a new install date.

I checked online with the uverse account number on order status. I now had two orders in the system. One with the old date and a new date. I called ATT back and after many hours on the phone I finally cancelled the entire deal. During this call I was told that the number port would not take place until the 2nd install date. The order, at least to me, was so screwed up that I had no idea what I was going to get OR when I was going to get it. Even the cancel of the order was not with out challenges. That took over 30 min and I even got hung up on during that call and no one ever called me back. I called ATT back and the next person I talked to indicated that both orders were canceled. I then asked to VERIFY that my current service wasn't going to be 'disconnected' by mistake as a result of all of this. They transferred me to someone in the DSL tech support group. I have to say that ATT owes a great deal to the staff at the chicago office. After ranting (and apologizing for yelling at the rep) the rep assured me that the port should happen at the same time as the move to UVerse. I placed a new order for UVerse.

A few days later I was called by ATT asking how my new uverse service was. Well, this was a result of the canceled order, not the 'real' order. I have to say ATT does have some issues.

Today, the real UVerse install happened. The tech was great. He arrived on time, was able to set me up in no time, was even able to determine that my location from the box was so close I should be able to go up higher on speeds than what ATT sales would allow. He also 'ported' the old POTS line number to UVerse in short order.

I think the tech support folk and the folks in the Chicago DSL office did a great job. The sales folks. Well they are not good at all.

I am very happy today. I have a 30M download speed today which is way higher then what I had with old DSL.

Comments:

Review by tperl See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "quick and easy install, schedule dvr on att.net"
Bad "rebate issues, cost of additional boxes, price increases"
Overall "worth it"

·WOW Internet and..
Found out Uverse was available so I signed up. Quick and easy install. Installer was very professional and knowledgeable. Signed up for U200 and 3mb. I did not get the rebate amount that was promised but they mailed me a visa gift card when I called to complain. Cable co here is Insight which has been filling my mailbox with offers almost daily. Standard 2wire modem and VIP1225 for Dvr. I have had the tv picture freeze up for a few seconds several times but not that big of a deal. (Blacklick 43004)

update 11/11/09
Everything still working fine but I am moving soon. I think uverse is available where I am moving but I am just going to cancel and turn in the equipment. Will set up install at new place at some point if available and update review.

update 4/27/10
Install was done at new place awhile ago. Everything basically same as before other than price increase. (New Albany 43054)

update 2/28/11
Just moved again and this time uverse is not available. Overall I was satisfied with the service we had although they just raised the price pretty significantly. We told them when we called to cancel that we were doing so because of the price increase.

update 7/2012
Moved into a temporary rental house and had a new install. Tech gave us a wireless receiver for our 2nd tv for no extra charge. Signed up for U300, don't recall internet speed but speedtest.net showing 10 mbps dl. Approx $100 per/mo for a 6 month promo with no contract. (Columbus 43209)

update 12/31/12
Just purchased a home (no more moving!) and had the previous service transferred. Tech came out and had to run a new drop from the pole while it was snowing. He did a great job with the crappy conditions he had to deal with, weather, bad house wiring etc. They extended my promo rate for another 6 months. (Columbus 43209)

update 11/9/13
Due to a large price increase we dropped uverse and switched to wow. They tried dropping me from u300 to u200 and lowering the internet speed and the retention rep still wanted $15 more per month and wanted me to agree to a 1 year contract. It seems the reps don't even try until you say the word "cancel". We did not have any issues with the service other than price increases.

update 9/10/14
My wife decided she hated wow and wanted to switch back. They were supposed to install on 8/29 but had to cancel due to outside wiring issues. Rescheduled for 9/6. Tech insisted on running new cat5 wiring from drop. Apparently the newest uverse router does not even support coax. Tech had trouble running wire where it was before so they placed router in a different room. Promo rate is supposed to be approx $104/mo for u300 and 18meg dl, not sure about upload.

Comments:

Review by mitchflorida See Profile

• Location: Deerfield Beach,Broward,FL
Good "I pay for 12 Mbps , get 15 Mbps"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "very reliable, no outages"

I pay $41 for 12 Mbps plus $75 for U-300 and HD

The Internet is very reliable, almost no downtime, though some DNS outages. They over-deliver on downloads 15 when I pay for 12 Mbps.

The TV service is a good bargain considering the $250 Visa Gift card and extended discounts.

They have many HD channels, though the Picture Quality of HD isn't as good as Dish or Directv. Also the receiver has only 500 gb storage, half of what it should be. Still I will stay with them at least one year and see who has the best deal after that.

Their customer service is the best out there, miles ahead of Dish or Comcast.

Comments:

Review by yzor See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Duval,FL
Good "new install took about 6 days from order."
Bad "upload speed really needs to hit at least half the download speed in this day."
Overall "so far so good. speed is a tad variable, not sure if i own modem or not"

NEW:

got new install today. the top 45 meg price uverse 1/5/2015 of 2 pairs Uverse, speed is 51meg and almost 6 up. Service man was on time and perfect. got a new NID again. LOL. I ran the cat 5 to old jack to save time and save the plants. new modem slow to flash and re-sync but hopefully that will not happen much. Latency is about the same.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/4035 ··· 35797964

Happy witht he speed, the cost is kind of high, plus I bet I have to pay for modem forever.

OLD:

I been happy so far with my upgrade from adsl to vdsl. Not sure if I get to own my modem or not, not one of the 2 techs that came out knew. They were late as usual but nothing new there they always late, I just hope the line is reliable as the ADSL was. Nothing to really complain about, other than they were late. I ran a cat 5e line for them to prevent them from stepping in the flower gardens. I still don't really understand why they had to have two installers come out, but I can sort of see why. I guess I had no way to get inside the nid box, to run a separate line. I can live with it. they did not warn me before they shut down the dslam, but reading others reviews I expected they would do what they did. All in all since I had just the uverse internet only install it only took about 1.5 hours, though I ran the cat 5 line for them ahead of time. I would have liked if they would have tried the cat 3 line that existed first but again i can live with it.

Time will tell but the interleaved VDSL seems slower latency wise, pings to wow servers are allot slower, there are allot more hops in between me and them now, and speed tests seem faster to Dallas than Atlanta, which is weird. because I live in Florida so go figure.

Comments:

Justin2016

@windstream.net

AT&T Customer My Self At School At The Moment

What kind of modem might you be using?