AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by ortizdr See Profile

• Location: Euless,Tarrant,TX
Good "Steady as a rock connection wise and fast"
Bad "Took a lot of complaining to get them to acknowledge me being green"
Overall "Once you get them to actually start research, they usually pull through"

After having U-Verse ADSL2 for a year I noticed that some of our neighbors were on VDSL. The online database said only ADLS2. The normal tech support and sales channels did not help. I reached out to the social media team and Direct support here on the forums. After having them research my address it was determined I was green for VDSL. They scheduled a Saturday installation and came out within 3 days as they had to disconnect my ADSL2 line to put through the order. The onsite tech was AWESOME! He was professional and very helpful and insightful. He even went as far as to condition my second pair to my house in hopes I would get pair bonding in the future! I have had it for almost 6 months and it is solid. Never had a problem with it. I am in a newer neighborhood so our copper is newer, but I am extremely happy with our service and pricing. They discounted the modem and internet since I had to "go through the trouble" of ordering. I am just happy it works!!

member for 229 days, 193 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jimmyc65 See Profile

• Location: Brookhaven,Lincoln,MS
Good "Getting Speeds that I ordered"
Bad "none yet"
Overall "Love the speed so far and have U-Verse TV"

Back with AT&T after several years. Been with Cable One for a while and had their internet and tv service. When U-Verse became available I jumped on it. I had talked with several friends who had it and loved it.

Only had it a few days but love the internet and TV service. The process was painless and handled professorially, Mitchell the AT&T installer handled his business and install was done in a timely matter.

Over all very pleased so far!!

Comments:

mercedesgb

@107.220.83.x

breach of contract

Apparently AT&T thinks that they can arbitrarily breach contracts. Even if you have a 12 month contract with them they can increase your monthly premium and if you complaint they really don't care. But if you dare to cancel services before the 12 months are up, they charge you cancellation fees. I guess the contract is a one way contract.

Review by nwrickert See Profile

• Location: Geneva,Kane,IL
Good "Good reliable service"
Bad "No DNS configuration options in the supplied router (RG 3800HGV)"
Overall "Good value"

I was previously using AT&T dsl, barely getting the PRO package (3 mb/s). With U-verse, I am easily getting 6 mb/s and could go up to 18 mb/s if I should need that. We are perhaps 1500 to 2000 feet from the VRAD, well within the range for reliable service.

We went to U-verse because of the TV. The alternative is comcast, and we don't much like that company. We were using over-the-air TV, but that became more iffy after the switch to HDTV.

Update April 2010, after 6 months service:

The service continues to be reliable. The price just went up, because the six month new-subscriber discount has expired.

TV is reliable and high quality. Telephone (u-verse voice) has been reliable, and higher quality than we had with POTS. And the elite 6mb/s) internet continues to work well. That the nominally dynamic IP never changes (thus de facto static) is an extra bonus.

I continue to use my own router in DMZplus mode, behind the RG, so that I can have DNS settings available. I briefly tested using the DNS support through the RG, but that did not work out very well (see »So much for 6.1.9.24-enh.tm )

Update Oct 2010, after 12 months of service.

The service continues to work well, as reported above. The main change over the last 6 months, was to remove my own router from DMZplus mode. I am still using my own router, but as an ordinary client. I made this change, because I found that the router was occasionally losing its WAN IP address (apparently the dhcp renewal was failing). Service has been reliable with the router as an ordinary client. I am forwarding ports 22 and 25 to my router in RG settings, then forwarding them to my desktop computer in my router settings.

I am still using the same defacto static IP that I was assigned over a year ago.

Update April 2011. The only change since my last update was to increase the Internet speed to the 12 MB/s download speed. Service continues to be reliable, and I still have the same IP address.

Update Oct. 2011. It is now more than 2 years since installation. Service continues to he highly reliable. In the April 2010 update, I mentioned that the new subscriber discount had ended. I forgot to adjust the monthly price at that time. I have now corrected that (see top of review).

Update May 2012. The service continues to be highly reliable. There was a recent firmware update that might be cause for concern. It removed the ability to use 10.*.*.* as a private IP on the LAN. I'm not using that, so it isn't an immediate problem. But it hints that they might start assigning 10.*.*.* as WAN ip addresses soon. If this is a hint that they are about to provide IPv6, and use 10.*.*.* as an IPv4 fallback during the transition, then that is good news. If, on the other hand, they intend sticking with IPv4, and will use 10.*.*.* to conserve IP addresses, then that is bad news. I guess I will have to wait and see.

Update Dec 2012. There has been no change since the last update.

Update June 2013. The price has increased (shown in listing). The gateway modem/router (2Wire 3800HGV-B) was performing poorly last week, so I rebooted it. That is almost 15 months since the last reboot. There has not been any other change or problem of note. We still do not have IPv6, though the firmware update for that is said to be coming real soon now.

Update Dec 2013: Mostly continued good service. There were two events of note. In October, the RG3800 gateway router stopped responding. I had to power-cycle it. That's the first time I have had that problem in 4 years of service. In September, the gateway firmware was upgraded to a newer version. I had thought that was supposed to bring us IPv6. But still no IPv6. It's about time AT&T got this working.

Update June 2014: The main change is that I now have IPv6. In May, I noticed that the RG had been upgraded to the "6.11.1.29-plus.tm" firmware. So I headed over to the site "https://esupport.att3.2wire.com/online-tool/compat-index.jsp" to check IPv6. That site said that everything was IPv6 compatible, and gave me a link to click in order to activate. I did that. Since then, IPv6 has been working well.

member for 9.9 years, 6569 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

lou

@107.25.122.x

customer non service

Those a holes make it easy to add extra "service", but when you cancel a package (I added the sports package), you have to call them on the phone and waste 45 minutes on the phone. F'n jerks.

coolwatersrw

@sbcglobal.net

Customer Service From Hell

I am very unhappy with my experience with AT&T Uverse. When I called in to AT&T Uverse, I found the automated system cumbersome and time consuming. The system forces you to select choices that are inaccurate for what their customers need. Then, once I did got a live human, although they were friendly, they spent too much time researching an answer to my question only come to the conclusion they did not know the answer. All in all, I spent over an hour traversing through the AT&T phone system only to be disappointed by the ineptness of those who tried to assist me. If you are looking are a company that provides great customer care to their customers AT&T Uverse is NOT the place for you. (Even the form I used to fill out my complaint wasn’t easy to find or use.) My suggestion: Find another company who knows how to treat customers because AT&T Uverse does not.

Review by HexMen See Profile

• Location: Kennesaw,Cobb,GA
Good "When all is working right it is fast."
Bad "The NVG589 doesn't do "Bridge Mode" well. And DNS is uneditable. High $$$/Mb"
Overall "I've had it 6 months, promotions have run out, my costs per/month will go up next month. Not sure if I will keep or replace."

My battle to get U-verse was long and arduous, and spanned a 3-year period.

Being a gamer and media streamer, the amount of available bandwidth, the quality of the service (lowest jitter and latency) usually meant "life or death" in games; and smooth HD playback and buffering vs under-buffered, low-res, and a stuttering playback. Over the years with Bellsouth and then AT&T, I progressed through dial-up, to DSL, to Cable (Comcast), then back to DSL for my data solution. DSL was at least consistent bandwidth in my neighborhood, compared to the oversaturation my neighborhood experienced during peak hours when I had Cable. It seemed the only truly viable solution was to pray for FTTN / Curb, or U-verse to come my way.

With massive road construction on the main road feeding my neighborhood, my copper line was cut 3 separate times by backhoe. After the first cut, I got to know a number of the Bellsouth / AT&T Techs, and was lucky enough to make contact with an Engineer. We discovered quickly that the drawings "on file" were very outdated (still showing my house as a plot ... after 7 years of living here), and it took a bit of searching to find the current outside-plant as-builts that showed the correct copper circuit builds in my area. By the end of the 3rd cut and interruption in my phone and DSL service, I had the engineer on speed-dial and worked closely with him and his local dispatch superintendent providing as much history and troubleshooting information to the techs as possible.

During that multi-year period of coordination, an opportunity arose such that U-verse expansion would be possible into my area to coincide with the road project. So working frequently with that engineer, he was able to -- with no small amount of effort and follow-up -- make the necessary updates to drawings and data-bases, and in turn, was finally able to start listing and updating addresses available for conversion to U-verse circuits from regular AT&T circuits. Not to surprisingly, I discovered that if your house isn't "on the map", you can never be eligible for upgrades.

So, the months passed. I watched a new Fiber Node go up, then new copper switches installed, then new copper cables down major streets, and finally a new copper box at the entrance of my neighborhood. Six months later I still had not been notified of availability so I started following up again. After multiple calls and a few weeks time, we discovered things had been put on hold and no restart date planned... what!!?? "But they have all the infrastructure already installed!" I complained... they responded with "..it is?" .. more coordination and research to find out none of the street project work had been updated. So, once again, and after more pushing and shoving, all the updates were done and I finally got the long awaited email notification "U-verse is now available in your area". Whew... but... the battle wasn't over yet.

I schedule a tech to come for 5 days out. When he shows up, for what ever reason, he didn't receive any of the updated circuit drawings, and the ones he had access to online were also not the new ones... *sigh* .. after an hour or so of telling him what I knew about everything, he was put in touch with someone who was able to help him update his work-ticket. He then tells me "ok, looks like the new increase bandwidth MAX will be 16Mb" .. o.O .. seriously? .. After playing twenty questions with him, I finally discover he is going to try and build the circuits back to my existing "old" switch, not using any of the new infrastructure. I put the brakes on the order, call the guy in engineering, and hand my cell to the tech after I confirmed that "using the old infrastructure" was not the plan. When the tech completed the call, he notifies me that a new work order will need to be done and that he wont be able to do the installation that day.

So, another appointment is scheduled for another 5 days out. That date arrives, there is again some confusion, but after a 10-minute guided tour of "where everything should be" the tech and I are finally on the same page. He does the circuit connections, does some testing, and when he turns it up .. BAM! .. 125Mbs available. Now THAT's what I'm talking about! But then he says, but the max I can give you is 45Mb down and 5Mb up.. *the past three years flies through my mind* .. ppftt.. ok, I'll take "that" then.

The installer couldn't figure out how to configure for me to be able to use my existing Wireless switch (i.e. turn the Motorola RG into a Bridge), so he left me with that to do and I used some online resources (this site and the AT&T forums) for putting the NVG589 "as close as possible" into Bridge Mode. By the end of the next day I was up and running. I still had concerns about a potential double NAT, but gave up on that after a 2+ hour, Technical Support call through Tiers 1 and 2, and not talking to anyone who could even figure out how "what I currently had working" even worked.. let alone see if "all was well".

So, here I sit, six months after installation with a new, yet very weird, problem. But, that's a tale to be found in a different forum. Up until now however, it has worked as it should.

Comments:

Review by Ziemowit See Profile

• Location: Gilberts,Kane,IL
Good "Hardly any outages. The internet gateway/modem is great."
Bad "45 mbps connection seems a bit laggy. Very expansive for what you're getting. Company doesn't negotiate at all."
Overall "There are only two choices for this area and the alternative is even more expansive and less reliable."

I have a 45 mbps business internet only package. The price is $120/month.

The installation was good but an hour after the person left, the internet went down and I had to wait few days for someone to come out. Since then it's been very reliable.

Currently I have a Motorola VDSL2 gateway. It works by using two lines at the same time to increase the bandwidth. Strangely enough during bandwidth tests the connection goes upto 24 mbps and then after a little-bit, jumps to full 45 mbps. I originally started with slower service, but upgrading didn't actually improve latency, it actually got worse... perhaps because use of two lines?

My only major issue is that this service in areas closer to Chicago is a lot less. 50 mbps business internet costs $55/month. This is most likely due to the fact that there is nearly no competition. MediaCom, the cable company in my area, charges $149 for the same type of service and is super unreliable. So naturally you have no choice but stay with ATT.

Comments:

Review by mshemwell See Profile

• Location: Magnolia,Montgomery,TX
Good "Fast Internet Connection"
Bad "NVG589 Wifi Connection"
Overall "Great service for the price"

You have to switch to another accesspoint for WiFi I was getting slower speeds with the NVG589 and support could not get it to improve. Bought a Netgear 6250 Router and hooked it up as a Access Point plugged into the back of the NVG589 and instantly have awesome speeds wifi throughout the whole house.

Comments:

Anon01234

@166.205.68.x

Terrible AT&T

Terrible!!! My internet goes out about every 10 minutes! It's been doing this for about a month now. I've replaced the modem and it still does it! AT&T internet is horrible!

Review by a16659235 See Profile

• Location: Dixon,Solano,CA
Good "Upload speed is near advertised "
Bad "Download speed, price, equipment failure, outages, "
Overall "I am looking at cable but have reservations"

Advertised price was $39.95 x12 mos for 18Mbps down/1.5Mbps up - was a few years ago now but service and consistent line quality is spotty at best due to the way our U-Verse is installed.
Cannot remember the initial installation but the technician was hyper friendly and was quick about the installation. However the equipment failed several times over the past few years and have had two converter boxes and routers replaced. No apparent reason for the failure. Poor quality 2Wire products.
Manufacturer: Pace Plc
Model: i3812V
U-Verse failed at every Super Bowl day, and would be out of service until the next day, failed equipment, outages for no reason, horrible download speeds

U-Verse doesn't live up to it's advertised speeds.

Comments:

Review by montana3087 See Profile

• Location: Walnut Creek,Contra Costa,CA
Good "Better speeds than DSL"
Bad "Dropped Connection all the time"
Overall "Need more consistate connection."

Speed is okay, but would like faster for the cost.
Connection problems, replaced the wi-fi but still lots of dropped connections from the "modem."

Comments:

mtadruss

@72.52.96.x

Worst experience with Customer Service

I started my service with ATT U Verse for TV, Internet and Phone Services, and the second day they disconnected the three service for unknown reason. I kept calling for 4 days no one could have helped me or explained to me the real situation. My family stayed for 5 days without TV, Internet or Phone. Can anyone imagine that!!! I canceled my service withe AT&T.

Review by smashcraft See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "Reliable connection, price compared to cable is not bad"
Bad "Customer Service "
Overall "Big improvement over cable, reliable connection, customer service is hard to deal with"

Ordered service on March 10th and had the install take place on April 21st. The technician that arrived was professional and had me up and running in about two hours. Equipment included the 2Wire/Pace 3801 gateway and one DVR.

I had U300 television installed, 12 meg internet, and unlimited telephone service. The technician re-used some CAT5 cable and connected the gateway to the NID, back-fed the telephone service to the NID on the same line, and back-fed the television over a coax run to the cable box outside.

Service is very good. The picture is crystal clear compared to Time Warner, the internet has reliable speeds, and the telephone service is excellent. The only complaint about the telephone service is that most features have to be activated and maintained via the Uverse Portal. For example, if I want to add someone to call blocking, dialing *60 will only activate and turn on the service. The ability to add a telephone number via your telephone is non-existent at this time.

I am paying 144.00 after taxes and fees with a 24 month price guarantee. Additionally, I should receive 150.00 cash back plus 100.00 cash back for ordering online. There is a 12 month contract on the internet portion of my account.

Overall, I am pleased with the service at this time. Updates will follow.

Comments:

Review by eDarryl See Profile

• Location: Pickerington,Fairfield,OH
Good "Good customer service."
Bad "Poor connection, very high latency."
Overall "Sorry AT&T, you lost me."

Why I subscribed to AT&T U-verse back in 2009 was because I wanted to consolidate my AT&T LandLine phone and AT&T DSL. U-Verse seemed to be the logical choice. I use DirecTV for television. Customer Service was very helpful and polite. They had very flexible times to schedule a tech to come and install.

Within a week, the tech came and installed TWO boxes inside my house and hung a big ass router outside my house, my phone and internet were converted to U-Verse. YAY! .. right?

First, the advertised speed was never consistent with my subscribed package. I had the 18d/2u internet package. SpeedTest.net always showed my speed as 12d/1u. Occasionally getting bumped to 15-18d but never, ever got more than 1.5d. And latency was always 50-90ms. That's unacceptable network latency. This was pretty much my connection over my 5 years with AT&T. That latency really screwed with Netflix picture clarity.

U-Verse caps at 250GB/month!

Now, the MAIN reason I left AT&T. A week after the tech left, a thunder storm came through. U-Verse modem disconnected and stayed that way until the electrical storm passed. I immediately thought "grounding issue". I went outside and verified that the router they hung on the side of my house was indeed grounded. I called AT&T and they ran some line tests and sent another tech out to verify grounding as well. Verified...all was grounded properly. The tech did replace my two boxes in my house (modem and that battery thing). Next storm that came through, I was working from home. It knocked me offline. U-Verse modem was disconnected again. I ignored it, waited for the storm to pass and then forgot about it. This went on for a few years. Finally I was online working from home doing an important presentation, storm came through and offline I went. I called AT&T first chance I got to express my frustration and insisted this issue be corrected immediately. Over that summer I had called AT&T three more times for this issue. Every tech came out, checked the wires, connections, made a mess of my wire cabinet. Still, storm came through and offline I went. Final straw.

I had been thinking about cutting the landline cord anyway. Therefore, I canceled U-Verse (both phone and internet).

I switched to Time Warner Cable, just for Internet. I got their 30d/5u package and get a strong, solid, consistent connection of 35d/6u with 15ms latency. Netflix is crystal clear HD now. Before I review TWC, let's see how TWC cable internet handles a thunderstorm and if their connection and signal stays strong and consistent as it is now.

Comments:

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

well sorry to see you go...

Thanks for trying us, and better luck next time

David
etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX

Typical of xDSL...

Disconnects during thunderstorms are typical of xDSL technologies, no matter how strong the signal is or how close you are to the DSLAM or VRAD during thunderstorms the modem/gateway will take so many errors that it will reboot.

Cable is also vulnerable but it can handle much more and probably will not disconnect. I found a very informative site here.

»adslm.dohrenburg.net/troubleshoo···ence.php

»adslm.dohrenburg.net/
tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
·T-Mobile US
·Speakeasy

Re: Typical of xDSL...

Your link describes aDSL interference at 40 miles.. With my >12kft CO aDSL loop I could detect them out to 250 miles, within 60 miles aDSL was almost useless.

Some aDSL modems behaved very badly with noise.. Alcatel/Lucent I.E.. exceeding some limited noise threshold triggering a 10 second retraining operation, every 60 seconds.

Encapsulation protocols like PPPoE made the lost packets even worse..

For a while, I was an alpha site for DirectvDSL improving their retraining algs.

But then the powers that be killed off the aDSL division after the blocked Dish merger, and cut loose 1/4 million aDSL customers.