AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by BellaStorm See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Fast Activation"
Bad "WIFI on NVG510"

Ordered service, and 3 days later it was working. Modem shipped the day after I ordered service, and arrived on the day service was activated.

They sent a NVG510, in which the WIFI that was built in didn't work good (3Mbps on my 12Mbps connection). However it was easy enough to set-up and use my own WIFI router.

So far, our new service works great.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update: Cancelled service.

Comments:

Review by SteelersFan See Profile

• Location: Rockwall,Rockwall,TX
Good "Faster than DSL; easy installation/configuration; great price"
Bad "Router Wireless b/g only"
Overall "Best price and deal for the area"

UPDATE (06/14): Running an ASUS RTN-66U as a bridge to the Motorla NVG589 (Uverse supplied). Followed the instructions on the AT&T message boards and everything seems to be working smoothly. Now on the best speed plan and getting about 47 Mbps down and 5 Mbps. Very little downtime on the network. Pleased with the results.

UPDATE (pre 2014): So for the past 4 months (from April to August) my UVerse Internet would go down periodically. I must have called AT&T support about 8 times and had a tech out at least four. The last technician did something the others didn't. He made sure I had a homerun going from my outside box to the wall with my router. Fortunately for me, I had a patch panel for my phone line in my master closet which made it easy for him to identify which specific line it was without needing to go into my attic. Once he hooked it up (about 10 minutes later), I was basically error free on the line. I also was able to upgrade my speed from 12Mbps down to now 24Mbps down.

It seems to be working good now albeit the other morning I woke up and had a connection issue again for about 2 minutes. Also, I have a Netgear b/g/n wireless router piggybacked to the 2Wire router and for some reason my older laptop has trouble maintaining a sync with the Netgear router now which it never did before. I worked around the problem by just activating both wireless routers, but did find that odd. Other than those two issues, service has been good. Speakeasy speed tests show maximum thoroughput and I was greatly impressed and appreciative of the service provided by the AT&T technician until the problem was solved.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Long time DSL user averaging about 3Mbps down. Decided to take the plunge and upgrade to U-Verse Internet and Voice. They were running a special for the Internet with about $12 off each month. Combined with Voice I was able to cut my Internet and phone bill in half for 4 times the Internet speed and many more voice options.

I opted for the self-install which basically is AT&T mailing me out (it took two weeks) a 2Wire 3600hgv router/modem, some cables and a fairly large (and expensive looking) power back-up device. The back-up device is intended to support my Voice services if the power ever fails, but it looks big and powerful enough to probably maintain power to the router for a limited time. I was saddened when I discovered the 2Wire didn't have wireless "n" as I just purchased a Netgear router/modem which gave me that functionality. After some research, I later decided to set-up the Netgear as a WAP to maintain my "n" speed behind the 2Wire router. Works good albeit I lose a lot of the Netgear router options.

On the day of install, I received a call from an local AT&T technician who said everything was hooked up and ready to go. I didn't even need to be home! That night I plugged in the 2Wire. The configuration was very similar to my DSL service with the exception that, because I now had Voice, I had to plug a phone (not DSL line) directly into the 3600 as well as the DSL line. I plugged my laptop directly into the 2Wire and went through the set-up.

The set-up was very detail oriented. Probably too much so as I have a pretty decent technical background. When I got to the part in the set-up where I was required to activate Voice, nothing worked. I had no dial tone on my phone. I called the support line and spoke to someone who went through the typical questions and finally informed me that my Voice activation date wasn't until the following day. I found this odd since all of my activation paperwork indicated that day as the activation date. I was a little disheartened because the technician wasn't 100% sure. Wouldn't you know it though, my Voice was up-and-running the following day.

In sum, I can't believe I waited this long to try U-Verse Internet. The speeds are about 4 times faster than what I was getting with DSL and with the exception of no built-in wireless "n", there really isn't much to complain about. The features that Voice gave me with the ability to check calls on the Internet and more make this a complete package that I would recommend.

Comments:

Terry M

@165.207.0.x

u-verse junk

The U-verse system as a whole is junk. More down than in service. The third tear (BEST) service person could not fix it. More that twenty times they were called. They claimed the lines were falty. ATT lines same company, what a joke.

Review by jcar See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Fast speeds as advertised, reliable / stable"

I've always heard that AT&T's U-verse internet was horrible. I was biased I must admit against this service but am pleasantly surprised now that I have it. I just purchased a new home and due to the new neighborhood we don't have cable in the area so this is the only service I could get. The installer came out and even though it was about 150 degrees in my attic pulled CAT6 cable to my router location and the cable box connection. Once the service was up and running I immediately did a speed test online and got just about the same speed if not better than a cable modem. I initially had a 51 Mbps download and 6 upload. The stable numbers now are around 49 download and 6 upload so I am currently very happy.

Comments:

Marinla

@72.190.99.x

Installation

AT&T schedule my installation I stay in home waiting to find out that they had cancel the installation, didn't give a reason or who canceled, I am trying to have another date and they are no help. Really socks be on their hands and are unable to do anything I will look for another provider, AT&T lost my business.

Review by ortizdr See Profile

• Location: Euless,Tarrant,TX
Good "Steady as a rock connection wise and fast"
Bad "Took a lot of complaining to get them to acknowledge me being green"
Overall "Once you get them to actually start research, they usually pull through"

After having U-Verse ADSL2 for a year I noticed that some of our neighbors were on VDSL. The online database said only ADLS2. The normal tech support and sales channels did not help. I reached out to the social media team and Direct support here on the forums. After having them research my address it was determined I was green for VDSL. They scheduled a Saturday installation and came out within 3 days as they had to disconnect my ADSL2 line to put through the order. The onsite tech was AWESOME! He was professional and very helpful and insightful. He even went as far as to condition my second pair to my house in hopes I would get pair bonding in the future! I have had it for almost 6 months and it is solid. Never had a problem with it. I am in a newer neighborhood so our copper is newer, but I am extremely happy with our service and pricing. They discounted the modem and internet since I had to "go through the trouble" of ordering. I am just happy it works!!

Comments:

Review by nwrickert See Profile

• Location: Geneva,Kane,IL
Good "Good reliable service"
Bad "No DNS configuration options in the supplied router (RG 3800HGV)"
Overall "Good value"

I was previously using AT&T dsl, barely getting the PRO package (3 mb/s). With U-verse, I am easily getting 6 mb/s and could go up to 18 mb/s if I should need that. We are perhaps 1500 to 2000 feet from the VRAD, well within the range for reliable service.

We went to U-verse because of the TV. The alternative is comcast, and we don't much like that company. We were using over-the-air TV, but that became more iffy after the switch to HDTV.

Update April 2010, after 6 months service:

The service continues to be reliable. The price just went up, because the six month new-subscriber discount has expired.

TV is reliable and high quality. Telephone (u-verse voice) has been reliable, and higher quality than we had with POTS. And the elite 6mb/s) internet continues to work well. That the nominally dynamic IP never changes (thus de facto static) is an extra bonus.

I continue to use my own router in DMZplus mode, behind the RG, so that I can have DNS settings available. I briefly tested using the DNS support through the RG, but that did not work out very well (see »So much for 6.1.9.24-enh.tm )

Update Oct 2010, after 12 months of service.

The service continues to work well, as reported above. The main change over the last 6 months, was to remove my own router from DMZplus mode. I am still using my own router, but as an ordinary client. I made this change, because I found that the router was occasionally losing its WAN IP address (apparently the dhcp renewal was failing). Service has been reliable with the router as an ordinary client. I am forwarding ports 22 and 25 to my router in RG settings, then forwarding them to my desktop computer in my router settings.

I am still using the same defacto static IP that I was assigned over a year ago.

Update April 2011. The only change since my last update was to increase the Internet speed to the 12 MB/s download speed. Service continues to be reliable, and I still have the same IP address.

Update Oct. 2011. It is now more than 2 years since installation. Service continues to he highly reliable. In the April 2010 update, I mentioned that the new subscriber discount had ended. I forgot to adjust the monthly price at that time. I have now corrected that (see top of review).

Update May 2012. The service continues to be highly reliable. There was a recent firmware update that might be cause for concern. It removed the ability to use 10.*.*.* as a private IP on the LAN. I'm not using that, so it isn't an immediate problem. But it hints that they might start assigning 10.*.*.* as WAN ip addresses soon. If this is a hint that they are about to provide IPv6, and use 10.*.*.* as an IPv4 fallback during the transition, then that is good news. If, on the other hand, they intend sticking with IPv4, and will use 10.*.*.* to conserve IP addresses, then that is bad news. I guess I will have to wait and see.

Update Dec 2012. There has been no change since the last update.

Update June 2013. The price has increased (shown in listing). The gateway modem/router (2Wire 3800HGV-B) was performing poorly last week, so I rebooted it. That is almost 15 months since the last reboot. There has not been any other change or problem of note. We still do not have IPv6, though the firmware update for that is said to be coming real soon now.

Update Dec 2013: Mostly continued good service. There were two events of note. In October, the RG3800 gateway router stopped responding. I had to power-cycle it. That's the first time I have had that problem in 4 years of service. In September, the gateway firmware was upgraded to a newer version. I had thought that was supposed to bring us IPv6. But still no IPv6. It's about time AT&T got this working.

Update June 2014: The main change is that I now have IPv6. In May, I noticed that the RG had been upgraded to the "6.11.1.29-plus.tm" firmware. So I headed over to the site "https://esupport.att3.2wire.com/online-tool/compat-index.jsp" to check IPv6. That site said that everything was IPv6 compatible, and gave me a link to click in order to activate. I did that. Since then, IPv6 has been working well.

member for 10 years, 6597 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

lou

@107.25.122.x

customer non service

Those a holes make it easy to add extra "service", but when you cancel a package (I added the sports package), you have to call them on the phone and waste 45 minutes on the phone. F'n jerks.

coolwatersrw

@sbcglobal.net

Customer Service From Hell

I am very unhappy with my experience with AT&T Uverse. When I called in to AT&T Uverse, I found the automated system cumbersome and time consuming. The system forces you to select choices that are inaccurate for what their customers need. Then, once I did got a live human, although they were friendly, they spent too much time researching an answer to my question only come to the conclusion they did not know the answer. All in all, I spent over an hour traversing through the AT&T phone system only to be disappointed by the ineptness of those who tried to assist me. If you are looking are a company that provides great customer care to their customers AT&T Uverse is NOT the place for you. (Even the form I used to fill out my complaint wasn’t easy to find or use.) My suggestion: Find another company who knows how to treat customers because AT&T Uverse does not.

Review by HexMen See Profile

• Location: Kennesaw,Cobb,GA
Good "When all is working right it is fast."
Bad "The NVG589 doesn't do "Bridge Mode" well. And DNS is uneditable. High $$$/Mb"
Overall "I've had it 6 months, promotions have run out, my costs per/month will go up next month. Not sure if I will keep or replace."

My battle to get U-verse was long and arduous, and spanned a 3-year period.

Being a gamer and media streamer, the amount of available bandwidth, the quality of the service (lowest jitter and latency) usually meant "life or death" in games; and smooth HD playback and buffering vs under-buffered, low-res, and a stuttering playback. Over the years with Bellsouth and then AT&T, I progressed through dial-up, to DSL, to Cable (Comcast), then back to DSL for my data solution. DSL was at least consistent bandwidth in my neighborhood, compared to the oversaturation my neighborhood experienced during peak hours when I had Cable. It seemed the only truly viable solution was to pray for FTTN / Curb, or U-verse to come my way.

With massive road construction on the main road feeding my neighborhood, my copper line was cut 3 separate times by backhoe. After the first cut, I got to know a number of the Bellsouth / AT&T Techs, and was lucky enough to make contact with an Engineer. We discovered quickly that the drawings "on file" were very outdated (still showing my house as a plot ... after 7 years of living here), and it took a bit of searching to find the current outside-plant as-builts that showed the correct copper circuit builds in my area. By the end of the 3rd cut and interruption in my phone and DSL service, I had the engineer on speed-dial and worked closely with him and his local dispatch superintendent providing as much history and troubleshooting information to the techs as possible.

During that multi-year period of coordination, an opportunity arose such that U-verse expansion would be possible into my area to coincide with the road project. So working frequently with that engineer, he was able to -- with no small amount of effort and follow-up -- make the necessary updates to drawings and data-bases, and in turn, was finally able to start listing and updating addresses available for conversion to U-verse circuits from regular AT&T circuits. Not to surprisingly, I discovered that if your house isn't "on the map", you can never be eligible for upgrades.

So, the months passed. I watched a new Fiber Node go up, then new copper switches installed, then new copper cables down major streets, and finally a new copper box at the entrance of my neighborhood. Six months later I still had not been notified of availability so I started following up again. After multiple calls and a few weeks time, we discovered things had been put on hold and no restart date planned... what!!?? "But they have all the infrastructure already installed!" I complained... they responded with "..it is?" .. more coordination and research to find out none of the street project work had been updated. So, once again, and after more pushing and shoving, all the updates were done and I finally got the long awaited email notification "U-verse is now available in your area". Whew... but... the battle wasn't over yet.

I schedule a tech to come for 5 days out. When he shows up, for what ever reason, he didn't receive any of the updated circuit drawings, and the ones he had access to online were also not the new ones... *sigh* .. after an hour or so of telling him what I knew about everything, he was put in touch with someone who was able to help him update his work-ticket. He then tells me "ok, looks like the new increase bandwidth MAX will be 16Mb" .. o.O .. seriously? .. After playing twenty questions with him, I finally discover he is going to try and build the circuits back to my existing "old" switch, not using any of the new infrastructure. I put the brakes on the order, call the guy in engineering, and hand my cell to the tech after I confirmed that "using the old infrastructure" was not the plan. When the tech completed the call, he notifies me that a new work order will need to be done and that he wont be able to do the installation that day.

So, another appointment is scheduled for another 5 days out. That date arrives, there is again some confusion, but after a 10-minute guided tour of "where everything should be" the tech and I are finally on the same page. He does the circuit connections, does some testing, and when he turns it up .. BAM! .. 125Mbs available. Now THAT's what I'm talking about! But then he says, but the max I can give you is 45Mb down and 5Mb up.. *the past three years flies through my mind* .. ppftt.. ok, I'll take "that" then.

The installer couldn't figure out how to configure for me to be able to use my existing Wireless switch (i.e. turn the Motorola RG into a Bridge), so he left me with that to do and I used some online resources (this site and the AT&T forums) for putting the NVG589 "as close as possible" into Bridge Mode. By the end of the next day I was up and running. I still had concerns about a potential double NAT, but gave up on that after a 2+ hour, Technical Support call through Tiers 1 and 2, and not talking to anyone who could even figure out how "what I currently had working" even worked.. let alone see if "all was well".

So, here I sit, six months after installation with a new, yet very weird, problem. But, that's a tale to be found in a different forum. Up until now however, it has worked as it should.

Comments:

Review by Ziemowit See Profile

• Location: Gilberts,Kane,IL
Good "Hardly any outages. The internet gateway/modem is great."
Bad "45 mbps connection seems a bit laggy. Very expansive for what you're getting. Company doesn't negotiate at all."
Overall "There are only two choices for this area and the alternative is even more expansive and less reliable."

I have a 45 mbps business internet only package. The price is $120/month.

The installation was good but an hour after the person left, the internet went down and I had to wait few days for someone to come out. Since then it's been very reliable.

Currently I have a Motorola VDSL2 gateway. It works by using two lines at the same time to increase the bandwidth. Strangely enough during bandwidth tests the connection goes upto 24 mbps and then after a little-bit, jumps to full 45 mbps. I originally started with slower service, but upgrading didn't actually improve latency, it actually got worse... perhaps because use of two lines?

My only major issue is that this service in areas closer to Chicago is a lot less. 50 mbps business internet costs $55/month. This is most likely due to the fact that there is nearly no competition. MediaCom, the cable company in my area, charges $149 for the same type of service and is super unreliable. So naturally you have no choice but stay with ATT.

Comments:

Review by mshemwell See Profile

• Location: Magnolia,Montgomery,TX
Good "Fast Internet Connection"
Bad "NVG589 Wifi Connection"
Overall "Great service for the price"

You have to switch to another accesspoint for WiFi I was getting slower speeds with the NVG589 and support could not get it to improve. Bought a Netgear 6250 Router and hooked it up as a Access Point plugged into the back of the NVG589 and instantly have awesome speeds wifi throughout the whole house.

Comments:

Anon01234

@166.205.68.x

Terrible AT&T

Terrible!!! My internet goes out about every 10 minutes! It's been doing this for about a month now. I've replaced the modem and it still does it! AT&T internet is horrible!

Review by a16659235 See Profile

• Location: Dixon,Solano,CA
Good "Upload speed is near advertised "
Bad "Download speed, price, equipment failure, outages, "
Overall "I am looking at cable but have reservations"

Advertised price was $39.95 x12 mos for 18Mbps down/1.5Mbps up - was a few years ago now but service and consistent line quality is spotty at best due to the way our U-Verse is installed.
Cannot remember the initial installation but the technician was hyper friendly and was quick about the installation. However the equipment failed several times over the past few years and have had two converter boxes and routers replaced. No apparent reason for the failure. Poor quality 2Wire products.
Manufacturer: Pace Plc
Model: i3812V
U-Verse failed at every Super Bowl day, and would be out of service until the next day, failed equipment, outages for no reason, horrible download speeds

U-Verse doesn't live up to it's advertised speeds.

Comments:

Review by montana3087 See Profile

• Location: Walnut Creek,Contra Costa,CA
Good "Better speeds than DSL"
Bad "Dropped Connection all the time"
Overall "Need more consistate connection."

Speed is okay, but would like faster for the cost.
Connection problems, replaced the wi-fi but still lots of dropped connections from the "modem."

Comments:

mtadruss

@72.52.96.x

Worst experience with Customer Service

I started my service with ATT U Verse for TV, Internet and Phone Services, and the second day they disconnected the three service for unknown reason. I kept calling for 4 days no one could have helped me or explained to me the real situation. My family stayed for 5 days without TV, Internet or Phone. Can anyone imagine that!!! I canceled my service withe AT&T.