AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by itsbry See Profile

• Location: Fernandina Beach,Nassau,FL
Good "Solid, consistent internet connection; crystal clear HDTV, no installation issues."
Bad "Porting number tricky, alternate number for a week; unexpected"
Overall "Beats the snot out of Comcast at the same cost with DVR to boot!"

We needed broadband internet service, so it was Comcast or DSL... I haven't had any gaming issues with the 3MB download speed compared to Comcast's 15MB (when it was up). With 6 months free internet, we're out $111 per month, jumping to just under $150 after the promo. That is still cheaper than what we paid for TV and internet with Comcast, and then adding the phone bill.

We actually made the decision to order just before Christmas, and had everything finalized by the New Year (except the phone number; it was still being ported... took an extra week). The install tech came out on the 26th. Saturday, the 26th. I was pretty shocked that they were even working, and told the tech as much!

We have a 2wire modem/router so I don't need my D-Link router anymore. I do wish that I could figure out how to change the key, though. We got a 10-digit number that I will have to write down for guests when they want to log in to the network. If that's our biggest issue, I'm in pretty good shape.

Screw Comcast. They won't get my business again.

July 2010 update: Service is up 24/7 and the TV still looks great... I've figured out how to change the SSID and password, so things are about as good as I could ask for.

January 2012 update: No changes. the phone works, the HD TV works even better, and the internet service is up 99% of the time. We all hate the increase in fees that bump the monthly rates, but I will pay for consistently good service and I bet you would too.

April 2014 Update: Still no changes, barring a slight upward trend in cost (maybe $15 over four years). We will be cutting the land phone line to save a few dollars ($35 approx.)... I'll holler if it backfires on me.

May 2014 Update: The bundling of service makes it more expensive to cut the land line... phht. I did get a better idea of how to manipulate the promos offered and ended up with a better package for the same price. Although this doesn't accomplish my goal of reducing my bills, I suppose it's the next best thing.

Comments:

Kae

On Demand

The Att U Verse on demand sucks! There aren't nearly as many tv shows on it as comcast.

SaynotoATT

@166.137.101.x

Att sucks!!!

Terrible customer service. All of the reps have different information, they aren't consistent. They could careless about people and the reason why their bill was late. They have no program to get back in to good standings. This is the real world, things happen!!! They are VERY greedy and it's a total rip off. They will keep billing you even if you no longer have their services. And they pray that you don't notice the mistake. And the cable isn't all that great anyway!

David

thats y att its #1 in cust services

Fireball31

@108.72.224.x

Service call

Had a problem with my DVR , this afternoon a technician came out and did a great job. His name was Michael , very professional, thanks

Review by techguyga See Profile

• Location: Cumming,Forsyth,GA
Good "Installation techs, picture quality, internet speeds, equipment"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "Great product offering!"

I have to say that so far, I am completely impressed. I have been a DirecTV customer for 14 years and was fed up with their contract renewal policy, so I decided to try Comcast. I live in a very rural area, and these have been my only choices.

After spending 6 days, including almost 17 hours on the phone with Comcast tech support, and 4 hours standing in their local office, I was almost ready to give up and switch back to satellite. Just for fun, I checked the availability page on the U-verse site and to my surprise, it was available!

I ordered at 6:45pm on Monday, and my install appointment was set from 9-11 the very NEXT MORNING. The outside tech called 10 minutes prior to arrival (9am) and was very courteous. He pulled new cable to my house from the street (900+ feet). He verified that the signal was good and started packing up.

I then received a call from the inside tech 10 minutes prior to arrival (10am). He was also very courteous and professional. He discussed placement of the equipment, told me exactly what he was about to do, said it would take about 2.5 hours, and set about his work.

At 12:15, he was sitting down with me on the couch and explaining my package, how it operates, and all the controls and equipment. At 12:30, he was on his way, exactly as promised.

I have only had the service for a couple of days now, but internet speeds are as advertised and the TV picture quality is exquisite. I am a happy customer so far.

2wire 3801HGV RG
Cisco IPN4320 DVR
Cisco ISB7005/VEN401 Wireless receiver/AP
U300 - HD - 18/1.5Mb internet

****UPDATE - 22-October-2012****

Since service was installed a little over 2 months ago, we have had zero issues, no calls to tech support, and could not be happier with our service. Internet speeds are exactly where they should be, and picture quality is still excellent. No drops in either service. Billing is accurate each month with proper discounts applied. Still a very happy customer.

****UPDATE - 2-May-2014****

No technical issues at all since my last update. I've done a few changes to my package and lost some of my promotional pricing, so my bill is getting on the hefty side now, hence the drop in the value rating. We will hopefully be moving in the next few weeks and the new area unfortunately does not have service. I can truly say that I will miss it once we're gone. Bundle now includes U-300, Power Internet and home phone.

Comments:

guygettinguv

@spcsdns.net

anxious

Ill bet getting uverse set up tomorrow. Will post all aspects if service connection, speeds customer service and hospitality.

Review by AbstraKT See Profile

• Location: Bellflower,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Cheap. $15 Monthly for Express. $40 Regular"
Bad "Super Slow. Speed was NOT as advertised."
Overall "Get something else. Definitely not worth it, despite the good deal."

- We ordered the 1 year $15/month package. It was advertised as the "Express" Package @ 1.5 Down / 0.5 Up

- The order was pretty easy. The "agreed" activation date was 2 weeks from the date we ordered it. However, they didn't activate the service until we called them 2 weeks "after" the agreed activation date. NOT TO mention we had to pay ($50) for a tech guy to come and activate the service. (Which we were not told about)

- We were supplied the Motorola NVG510

- The only thing that was bothersome was the speed. SUPER SLOW. We were definitely not getting 1.5 Up and 0.5 Down. It was more along the lines of 300KB Up / 100KB Down EVEN THOUGH all I planned to use it for was to surf the web. FYI This package is obviously not for gaming. (tried it, failed miserably lol) Downloads were horribly slow. Didn't even bother with uploading anything.

Don't get this deal, spend the extra money to get something better, this package is NOT worth it, despite the price. At least in the area. (90706)

Comments:

thatguythere

@69.178.189.x

Those

speeds are correct. 1.5 mbit down and 0.5 mbit up comes out to around the speeds you're getting in kiloBYTES per second.

join:2014-01-06

Not even close to the correct speeds something is WRONG!

That's not correct, his speeds are way low even using the conversion. If you allow for overhead with ADSL he should still be getting about 1.1 / 0.35

@AbstraKT:

Your profile at ATT is NOT correct. Call them and have them rebuild your account profile. If that doesn't work there is a line problem somewhere, have them do a line test as well.
MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

Re: Not even close to the correct speeds something is WRONG!

1.5 megabits equates to 187.5 kilobytes, without factoring in overhead. 500 kilobits (0.5 megabits) equates to 62.5 kilobytes. It's not hard.
AbstraKT

join:2014-04-29
United State

Re: Not even close to the correct speeds something is WRONG!

"187.5 kilobytes"

Yeah, that's the average speed the downloads were at. It fluctuated a lot though.

How did you know that without even knowing if I'm near a CO or not?

davidc

@108.69.182.x

might have him post in at&t direct

this is david, I am currently logged out, might post in direct and we can check into this tomorrow if you wish.

Have a good night-
David

Review by cprussak See Profile

• Location: San Diego,San Diego,CA
Bad "Service seems to be deteriorating. "
Overall "Uverse vs. regular DSL is not all it was made to sound like."

Speed has slowed down from 10+ megabit download to mid 6s. Also seems to be a burst mode that rolls back fairly fast. Streaming from Amazon has become problematical.

Comments:

Review by banana_fing See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "The connection only went down three times, and at that, they were brief downtime. Advertised as 6mbit, I was quite satisfied. "
Bad "The cost. Really expensive if your contract runs out. At renewal, the prices and packages and prices may be different. "
Overall "It's a good company, but be on the lookout for deals because otherwise you might end up with a larger bill after the contract. "

I had this service for a year -- and it included very limited phone service (I opted for the cheapest landline). Customer service is what you expect anywhere -- it might take a few tries to get your issues sorted, in my case, re-negotiation of a contract, but if you're patient and consistent, will be resolved.

Comments:

Review by Hermana See Profile

• Location: La Crescenta,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Works great"
Bad "Took a couple truck rolls to resolve a stuttering connection"
Overall "Reasonable value; happy camper"

·AT&T DSL Service
In December 2013, I called ATT sales to explore how to reduce my overall service cost. I was offered a U-verse bundled package (6.0 internet $29 / phone $35 12 month promo price) with a free truck rolled installation. While the original DSL 3.0 $35 / phone service $35 had more than adequately satisfied my technical needs, I was happy to pay less to get more.

The installation was schedule for 2 days later with a 4 hour afternoon time slot. The on-time, installation technician swapped out the existing 2-Wire modem for a PACE Model 5031NV modem. The service was up and running in about 5 minutes.

A few weeks later, I realized that while streaming Netflix that the new "faster" U-verse connection intermittently stalled whereas the previous DSL "slower" connection had been rock steady. Additionally, I realized that I wasn't able to pick up my voicemail.

The night owl in me called tech support at 2 AM, got a tech to test the line and a truck roll was scheduled for the next day. The field repair tech tested the line and indicated that he had identified a Central Office provisioning issue that caused the intermittent stuttering connection and he instructed me on how use the U-verse voice mail portal.

A few nights later while again streaming Netflix, the connection seemed to stutter again. My midnight call to 611 resulted in the answering technician testing the line, his declaration that he saw an issue and his dispatching another truck roll for the following day. This time the field tech diagnosed the problem as "bridge tap" and indicated he was able to resolve the problem.

The connection appears to be reasonable reliable and my Netflix "binge streaming" appetite is now unimpeded. The delivered download speed of 7.9 exceeds the promised speed of 6.0. Bottom line—happy camper.

Comments:

Review by StevenCL See Profile

• Location: Belton,Bell,TX
Good "Price"
Bad "You get what you pay for"
Overall "There is nothing else available in my area"

AT$T U-verse service has never given us even half the speed they advertise. The service drops up to a dozen times a day for no apparent reason. Their have never pro rated our bill. It feels like they don't care that the service is this bad where I am located. The first service provider that offers service to my house other than AT&T is getting my business.

Comments:

Review by ruckusronn See Profile

• Location: West Hills,Los Angeles,CA
Good "no log-jams"

·DigitalPath
order install was painless and pretty fast only two days.Ended up buying a new router(had two of my own)but it's the price of doing business I guess. Had Time Warner got tired of the log-jams especially in the evenings. This is really nice, speed is where it's supposed to be,no bottle-necks at night. I NEVER got the speeds they advertized with Time Warner. Value for the money,...well spent!

Comments:

Review by smithmg66 See Profile

• Location: Bowling Green,Warren,KY
Good "Cheaper than just phone service alone"
Bad "Tech incompetent and slower than DSL"
Overall "Can't have "

A small nonprofit that I work with was interested in updating their phone service and considering internet service in the future. AT&T offered local phone at $35 and long distance phone at $10 along with Uverse $35 which was cheaper than what we had been paying for just local and long distance. We delayed installation to get approval of the building owners, and AT&T assured us that we could cancel the 36-month Uverse deal and still get the cheaper phone. The phone connection was so bad when making this agreement that we missed about every third word and the guy apologized saying that AT&T use internet phone service and that it was a really bad connection that day. Maybe that should have been a sign that a communication company with bad internet phone service is not a good thing. The guy later called to say that we wouldn't be getting the Samsung tablet after all since it wasn't part of the special package along with the $100 gift card after 90 days.

Contacted the building owner and they were not supportive in having Uverse installed. The year before they had had it installed and have continued to have problems with it and could not recommend it. They produce short video segments and the Uverse has never had the speed promised and has actually been slower than the DSL they had before. We had not realized it last year that they had gotten Uverse, but the tech who installed their new service actually disconnected our office's phone lines at the time. We didn't have phone service for almost two weeks because we first thought it was our phones, not realizing that the lines had been worked on. AT&T kept telling us that it wasn't the lines and it had to be our interior phones and lines. Another tech finally came out and was able to reconnect our service. We did get credit for the two weeks we didn't have service.

We now understand why the building owners don't want any other techs coming to work on the lines. I called to cancel our new Uverse service installation and was told that so many were canceling their services that the cancel order wouldn't go through until the day after the installation. The guy even checked with his supervisor and said that that was the only way it would go through the AT&T software. We were assured that the phone services would still be at the cheaper rate since they were a separate deal. Sure enough, the day of the cancelled install the tech called to double check on the address and I had to tell him it had been cancelled. Called AT&T and she was able to cancel it for that day, however, she said that we would not get the phone service as cheap as agreed because it was part of a bundle after all. Nothing was said about the $100 gift card. It will be interesting to see what we are finally charged for the phone service now. I explained that we had to cancel the new Uverse service because the building owner did not want any further work done on the lines. She checked and we cannot get DSL service. She suggested "mifi" for our small nonprofit at $50 per month. We don’t know anyone who has this service or if it is really compatible. Is "mifi" something that would work for our small single phone line nonprofit?

Comments:
Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Regarding MiFi

MiFi is not a reasonable alternative. It's a cellular Wi-Fi hotspot with a very limited amount of data per month and it's not cheap. It would essentially be useless unless people only used it for very basic things.

Review by gig_gy See Profile

• Location: Bay Saint Louis,Hancock,MS
Good "Professional Installation "
Bad "2 DSL Line Bad"
Overall "Sometimes slow - not speeds as advertised"

Installation was conducted very professional - used all the proper tools for installation. Was an employee for AT&T and not a sub-contractor. Speed test was as advertised, however more and more neighborhood ordering Uverse the speeds started to decrease, (WHAT THIS IS NOT CABLE). Speed test was normal - but when I would visit sites the pages would load very slow, I couldn't even close the browser until it page cached. 30 t0 60 seconds. I called numerous times but the tech says everything is fine. For 12 meg for 63.00 and 30 meg for 45.00 from cable company - what do you thing is the better solution?

Comments:

teebox27

@rr.com

UVERSE

I switched to ATT Uverse in January because I was having far too many problems with Time Warner Turbo. So far today is the first outage for ATT and I called and they said the problem was in our area and was being resolved, we'll see. Other than that, the service is just as fast as TWC and much more reliable at a cheaper price. I think that the service you get with either company depends on the area in which you live. Time Warner customer service is a disgrace and my blood pressure has gone down since I've stopped dealing with them. That alone was worth the switch.

atchisonkans

AT&T UVERSE IS SLOW

Had Max Plus for an entire year. Speed test.net shows high speeds but it's only a burst speed!
NetFlix re-buffers and webpages don't load fast like they should. It's kind of like the pipe is to small or they are throttling the connection. Promotion ended and I got this big bill in my email for $65...
Thought what the crap... This service is not work $65 and down graded to Basic. Was so slow I can tether faster with my boost G-2 or so called G-3 cell phone for the same price I was paying for Max on promotion. You pay double for everything in the Midwest and in most places AT&T is the only game in town.

andyseaview

Re: AT&T UVERSE IS SLOW

my internet on at&t is great, and fast, 100mbs for me is perfect but sometimes watching hi def movies it does slow down