AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by trparky See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Works fine."
Bad "Nothing."
Overall "No issues in the year and a half that I've had service."

I've not had any issues with my uVerse that I've had for the last year and a half. Stable service, I even have 45 Mbps because I'm so close to the VRAD.

member for 14.8 years, 8840 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Dazarise See Profile

• Location: Modesto,Stanislaus,CA
Good "Always up and running"

Have had UVerse for 3 years now and it has been rock solid consistent.

Comments:

Review by dayfour18 See Profile

• Location: Wheaton,Du Page,IL
Bad "Leaving AT&T"

This is the companion review to my recent Comcast Xfinity installation...

After 12 years on DSL, and with Uverse finally available, I made the switch from 6Mbps DSL and POTS, to UVerse 12Mbps with voice. My experiences pushed me out of the AT&T family, and over to Comcast, a move I never thought I'd make.

Uverse TV was not offered/available to us, likely due to being a co-branded DirecTV subscriber. The problems I experienced may not be present with the TV-enabled gateway, but were definitely present in the Internet/Voice gateway. Every time I made any advanced changes to the gateway (eg. Firewall port forwards, or trying to set "DMZ+" to forward all traffic to my secondary WiFi router) the voice service broke. Initially the service tech that replaced the gateway the 1st time suggested I call and ask for 'tier 2' support. There was no such thing. The only answer I received from multiple calls was that 'advanced changes like that are not supported.' As a network professional, I completely agree with that from the Internet data perspective...if you make changes and hose your internet, that's your fault. However, this IS AT&T, and voice service should just WORK. I don't care what changes I make to firewall or other 'advanced' network settings on your gateway...voice should be ROCK SOLID.

Very unhappy with the service, I confirmed I could cancel within the 30-day window after installation, and did so. So far the move to Comcast has been trouble-free, including voice. The Xfinity gateway is much more substantial than the AT&T Pace gatway. Quality of the service can hardly be compared. Comcast/Xfinity is providing the service level that AT&T should in my opinion. YMMV

Comments:

KennyWest

@rr.com

Tier 2

Actually there is a Tier 2 Support. All support desks have a level 1, 2 and 3. 3 is the highest on the phone. You just have to know how to get to them. And the router/firewall controls the entire gateway. If you change a service/line in the device that controls the phone, yes you will lose phone.
ham3843

join:2015-01-15
USA

Re: Tier 2

So KennyWest how do you go about reaching a Tier 3 phone support tech? I have a problem that requires a DSL network maintenance engineer to investigate problems at the DSLAM, RT or CO and the best I could do is have a prem tech check my lines and confirm they are OK.

Justin2016

@windstream.net

Re: Tier 2

Are you still with AT&T? You have to ask for a Supervisor then ask to speak to higher authority after that they will suggest a call back.
dayfour18

join:2012-06-14
Wheaton, IL
said by KennyWest :

If this is true, then maybe AT&T should re-think how they are doing things. If that is even possible. To me, and based on my experience as a network and telecom professional, this is an unforgivable compromise. They are AT&T, or at least what used to be 'AT&T'. Voice should ALWAYS work. There is nothing an end-user should be able to do to kill the voice like that. Enabling something as simple as a few port-forwards for Xbox support should NOT cause voice to stop working.

My Comcast/Xfinity gateway has had no such problems after configuring port-forwards for the kids' Xbox...voice works without giving it a thought. This same thing killed voice on the AT&T Pace gateway. IMO Comcast is beating AT&T at their own game with voice support and reliability.

Review by JonLahmani See Profile

• Location: Fountain Valley,Orange,CA
Overall "AT&T Uverse - worst ever!"

I was in a 100% online MBA program with UVerse when my connection went down. My regular schedule was 630am to 530 pm, and after loosing connection to the internet, my time to deal with the issue was after 530pm. Apparently AT&T UVerse has NO customer service after 530pm. They have an automated system that takes you in circles, with NO options to speak to a live representative for assistance. The next 3 days with multiple attempts I was still not able to make communication with anyone at AT&T UVerse, and I was a missing student in my online program. AT&T forced me to get another provider after 1 week of service, or I would fail my classes. AT&T finally contacted me after almost 1 year and told me I owe them $350. They said I did not try hard enough to reach someone, and that I should have written a letter to contact them. They said they have service after 5, basically telling me im lying. AT&T refuses to listen to my situation as they believe I could have just written a letter and not participate in my classes. Up until now they refused to talk to me. AT&T will not back their service nor do they care about their customer’s experience. I relied on their service to complete my educational program, and they let me down giving me no other choice but to find another provider so I could pursue my goals. But AT&T dose not care about their customers experience nor do they care to admit they failed me by waving some $350 fee. I cant express how disappointing my experience has been and small a service provider can make you feel. My credit is about to be ruined if I don’t pay.

Jonathan Lahmani

Comments:

connectr

@sbcglobal.net

AT&T UVerse

Unfortunately, unless you get very lucky and get the right person, this is exactly the way AT&T treats everyone. If they pursue their charges, you can always sue them for messing with your credit.

Review by caseywor See Profile

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "In my past experience, set top box is responsive, channels change quickly."
Bad "Installation Coordination, in the past, tech support"
Overall "After some initial go live delays, it has been reliable and I have experienced no outages or issues. "

·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·Mediacom
Packages: U350 and 18Mbps – included, and mandatory, in utilities from complex for $110, about $15 extra a month as I have ordered it - $10 Hi Def and $5 for 24Mbps

Installation:

For the first 9 days, in my new location, the experience was initially bad. I was scheduled for an installation on August 15, 2014 from 9:00 am – 11:00 am EDT in my new apartment in Orlando, FL. After they didn’t show up within appointment window, I called only to find out that my appointment had been cancelled due to an line tech finding a problem “on the outside’ on the previous day and telling dispatch to have me reschedule. The problem is that AT&T never called me to do so, so I was expecting an installation today that never occurred. I was then rescheduled for the next Saturday. I had to do a Saturday since I was starting a new job on Monday and couldn't take off work to get this done during the week. Due to these delays at first, I was kind of thinking it may have been a bad thing to have moved into a complex that had U-Verse as its only choice.

The day installation actually took place, the installer was prompt and courteous. The whole process took only about 2 hours or so. I found out that my apartment has a fiber terminating at an ONT in my closet, each apartment where I live is fiber fed. The installer connected the residential gateway (RG) to the ONT, and connected a coax connection to my main DVR box in the living room, and the TV in my bedroom via a wireless access point. The installer was actually willing to connect my cordless phone base in my living room to my Vonage adapter in the closet where my RG is located, something he really didn't have to do.

Experience since the install:

So far, I have had no outages or issues or any kind. I have since used my networking skills and test equipment (tone generator/line tester) to connect my laptop in my bedroom and my Slingbox to the RG via Ethernet.

TV Service: I really like the DVR. It has a very logical and easy to navigate menu system. Furthermore, the channels change really quickly, something that id often not the case with satellite and cable. It appears to me that the HD picture quality isn't quite where it is with satellite, but seems to be on par with cable systems these days, perhaps some better.

Internet Service: The internet service has been reliable, no outages so far that I know of. However, the speed tiers offered to me, a max of 24Mbps (despite the fact I have fiber into my home) is beat by cable it seems in most areas. I had 60 Mbps when I left Charter in Birmingham this past summer. The ping times are actually incredible, according to Speedtest.net about 5-10 ms most times. When I had Uverse before in another home that was fed with copper telephone lines, they were about 100 ms or so normally.

More details to come as I get time.

Comments:

Review by nwrickert See Profile

• Location: Geneva,Kane,IL
Good "Good reliable service"
Bad "No DNS configuration options in the supplied router (RG 3800HGV)"
Overall "Good value"

I was previously using AT&T dsl, barely getting the PRO package (3 mb/s). With U-verse, I am easily getting 6 mb/s and could go up to 18 mb/s if I should need that. We are perhaps 1500 to 2000 feet from the VRAD, well within the range for reliable service.

We went to U-verse because of the TV. The alternative is comcast, and we don't much like that company. We were using over-the-air TV, but that became more iffy after the switch to HDTV.

Update April 2010, after 6 months service:

The service continues to be reliable. The price just went up, because the six month new-subscriber discount has expired.

TV is reliable and high quality. Telephone (u-verse voice) has been reliable, and higher quality than we had with POTS. And the elite 6mb/s) internet continues to work well. That the nominally dynamic IP never changes (thus de facto static) is an extra bonus.

I continue to use my own router in DMZplus mode, behind the RG, so that I can have DNS settings available. I briefly tested using the DNS support through the RG, but that did not work out very well (see »So much for 6.1.9.24-enh.tm )

Update Oct 2010, after 12 months of service.

The service continues to work well, as reported above. The main change over the last 6 months, was to remove my own router from DMZplus mode. I am still using my own router, but as an ordinary client. I made this change, because I found that the router was occasionally losing its WAN IP address (apparently the dhcp renewal was failing). Service has been reliable with the router as an ordinary client. I am forwarding ports 22 and 25 to my router in RG settings, then forwarding them to my desktop computer in my router settings.

I am still using the same defacto static IP that I was assigned over a year ago.

Update April 2011. The only change since my last update was to increase the Internet speed to the 12 MB/s download speed. Service continues to be reliable, and I still have the same IP address.

Update Oct. 2011. It is now more than 2 years since installation. Service continues to he highly reliable. In the April 2010 update, I mentioned that the new subscriber discount had ended. I forgot to adjust the monthly price at that time. I have now corrected that (see top of review).

Update May 2012. The service continues to be highly reliable. There was a recent firmware update that might be cause for concern. It removed the ability to use 10.*.*.* as a private IP on the LAN. I'm not using that, so it isn't an immediate problem. But it hints that they might start assigning 10.*.*.* as WAN ip addresses soon. If this is a hint that they are about to provide IPv6, and use 10.*.*.* as an IPv4 fallback during the transition, then that is good news. If, on the other hand, they intend sticking with IPv4, and will use 10.*.*.* to conserve IP addresses, then that is bad news. I guess I will have to wait and see.

Update Dec 2012. There has been no change since the last update.

Update June 2013. The price has increased (shown in listing). The gateway modem/router (2Wire 3800HGV-B) was performing poorly last week, so I rebooted it. That is almost 15 months since the last reboot. There has not been any other change or problem of note. We still do not have IPv6, though the firmware update for that is said to be coming real soon now.

Update Dec 2013: Mostly continued good service. There were two events of note. In October, the RG3800 gateway router stopped responding. I had to power-cycle it. That's the first time I have had that problem in 4 years of service. In September, the gateway firmware was upgraded to a newer version. I had thought that was supposed to bring us IPv6. But still no IPv6. It's about time AT&T got this working.

Update June 2014: The main change is that I now have IPv6. In May, I noticed that the RG had been upgraded to the "6.11.1.29-plus.tm" firmware. So I headed over to the site "https://esupport.att3.2wire.com/online-tool/compat-index.jsp" to check IPv6. That site said that everything was IPv6 compatible, and gave me a link to click in order to activate. I did that. Since then, IPv6 has been working well.

Update Dec 2014: Not much has changed since the last review. The monthly cost has increased a little. The increase is mostly the TV part of the fee. Yahoo is annoying. They can't keep my location straight. I check their page and it gives the weather for Richardson, TX. I change that to Geneva, IL. A few hours later, they give the weather for Sunnyvale, CA. I again have to change to Geneva. They should be able to understand that if there is no GPS on the computer, then it probably isn't a cell phone and its location doesn't change all that often.

member for 10.5 years, 6911 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by TimeLord04 See Profile

• Location: Danville,Contra Costa,CA
Good "We've NEVER had an outage. (Unlike Comcast.)"
Bad "We've been experiencing random pixelations for the past couple of months."
Overall "We'd HIGHLY recommend U-verse to others."

·Vonage
12-17-2014

We've been an AT&T U-verse family since the roll out in Danville, CA. MANY years now... We left/abandoned/ran away from Comcast.

Our original AT&T U-verse install was over straight COAX. We started with the 6 Mb Internet Package, and U-verse U-300 services. Over time, we upgraded our Internet Package, (several times), and are now on the 45 Mb package, still on U-300 for TV.

We also had our own personal Network on a separate router with two dedicated Network Printers, an All-In-One Printer/Scanner/Fax machine, and three Vonage devices. All personal equipment goes through personal router; either directly attached, or attached to a switch and then attached to router. The personal router then attaches to the U-verse Gateway. We have three wired computers, and two wireless computers.

We've been upgraded many times on our DVR; and have had our Gateway changed at routine intervals. Due to present 45 Mb package, we are now on the NVG589 Gateway connected via Cat5 to NID; and back-feeding on COAX to DVR and one 1200 Box. We also have two Wireless Boxes.

All equipment works as expected. Any issues are promptly worked on by U-verse Technicians. Only issue remaining unresolved is random pixelations on multiple channels in HD during Prime Time. (Ongoing since September, 2014.)

Initial install took 7 Hours to complete. Upgrades/changes to install took extra time over the years; nothing more than a couple hours per service.

Our initial package of 6 Mb Internet and U-300 TV came out MUCH cheaper than Comcast, (pre XFINITY days), and has remained cheaper than Comcast over the years. (Even with annual increases in Package Prices and Fees.)

U-verse Techs are professional and courteous and are there when they say they will be there.

We would, (and have), recommended U-verse to others.

member for 137 days, 43 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by wheelbarrow See Profile

• Location: Kansas City,Clay,MO
Good "Consistent speeds, good latency."
Bad "I wish the speeds were faster for what I'm paying."
Overall "U-Verse seems to be a good option for internet service."

·Google Fiber
·Windstream
Update 12/16/2014:

I have switched to Google Fiber and no longer subscribe to U-Verse. At this point I still would recommend the service if other options are not available. The main downside of AT&T's product is that it is an aging technology (copper) in a world filled with cable and fiber optics. They don't offer a particularly good value.

Update 5/26/2014:

Speeds and latency have been consistent. Despite paying for 18 Mbps, I'm getting 22 Mbps due to over-provisioning. I'm still unable to subscribe to the 24 Mbps or higher packages.

AT&T recently bumped up the equipment costs per month to $7 for the modem/router. I wasn't too impressed with that move, and I'm still not.

I will be moving over to Google Fiber within the next few months, as signups were recently made available to my location. I still consider U-Verse to be a decent option if Google Fiber is not available - though the price does seem to be a little high in comparison to other providers in the area, of which offer faster speeds. Considering how badly AT&T is going to be whipped once Google Fiber actually starts service in northern Kansas City, you'd think they would try to be a little bit more competitive.

Comments:

DAg Aligaz

@23.127.18.x

Disappointed Customer with AT&T U-verse

I was out of internet/AT &T U-verse/ for one week
lost all times and money from 5/6/ 2014 through 5/13/2014 I called tech support and they told me they gonna send me a new modem. I got the modem arrived after couple days later and I called them back, to let them knew that I had the same problems "not working”…...the AT&T U-verse Rep. apologized me for inconvenent she told me that their is a network problems around my areas they promised me to be solved within the next day which they did fixed the problems. I send back the box/modem next day and they received it no problem. The funny parts now they send me additional $100 dollars bills on the top of my regular bills…no reason why?. I called back waited about (24.19 minute) to speak to someone. I talked to Rep. ’ after waisting time she told me that I have to pay this extra $100 dollars and then later I’ll get it back in three month as a crdit .
They got wonderful system right…??? they can’t take it out this $100 dollars from there system right away according she said and apologized again …… Wow…..
I’ll wait 3 month to get my ($100dollars) credit back!
Great service AT&T U-verse….!
I was very disappointed losing time, money and I got to scwed-up charged $100.

TimeLord04

join:2014-11-13
Danville, CA
·Vonage

Danville, CA U-verse Customer.

We've been with U-verse since their roll out in this area; one of the first to sign up. We left/abandoned/ran away from Comcast.

Due to "Dedicated" Internet Speeds; we've speed tested FASTER than Comcast; and MORE CONSISTENT speeds than Comcast. Routinely under Comcast; we'd drop easily to 1.5 Mb or slower. With U-verse, we routinely hit 44 to 45 Mb on our 45 Mb package.

We've NEVER had an outage; unlike Comcast, and are VERY happy with our U-verse services.

ONLY ONE ISSUE ongoing right now; and that is random pixelations on multiple channels during Prime Time viewing on HD. AT&T has done EVERYTHING it possibly can do; and the pixelations persist. We will continue working with AT&T to resolve the issue.

12-17-2014 at 3:47 PM - PST

Review by gadawg See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "very little downtime"
Bad "Cost going up after contract, have to use STB's."
Overall "Good"

·Insight Communic..
We have had reliable service except for one week. After several service calls our outside lines were repaired and a port swap at the VRAD solved all our problems. Dropping TV service due to high cost and we don't watch specialty channels. Using an OTA antenna for local channels and internet for movies(netflix), ESPN and network shows we may miss live. U300 TV and 12 mb internet.

Added TV back since the wife and daughter missed the DVR. Have U200 with 1 DVR and a wireless STB and 18 meg now. All services work well.

member for 9.1 years, 1740 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jimmyc65 See Profile

• Location: Brookhaven,Lincoln,MS
Good "Getting Speeds that I ordered"
Bad "none yet"
Overall "Love the speed so far and have U-Verse TV"

Back with AT&T after several years. Been with Cable One for a while and had their internet and tv service. When U-Verse became available I jumped on it. I had talked with several friends who had it and loved it.

Only had it a few days but love the internet and TV service. The process was painless and handled professorially, Mitchell the AT&T installer handled his business and install was done in a timely matter.

Over all very pleased so far!!

Well I guess it's time to update my review of my U Verse service. I have yet to find anything wrong with the service. I've had it for 2 yrs now and with the exception of the hurricane that came through right after we go the service I've not had any down time with the tv service or the internet. All of my speed s meet or exceed their advertised rates. The price has gone up but I have added some channels and increased my speed so that was to be expected. Like I said I have more than pleased with the tv and internet service. I've yet to call customer service since I arranged the installation. All I can say about the service is if you live in a area where it s offered get it.

member for 13.7 years, 2210 visits, last login: 200 days ago

Comments:

mercedesgb

@107.220.83.x

breach of contract

Apparently AT&T thinks that they can arbitrarily breach contracts. Even if you have a 12 month contract with them they can increase your monthly premium and if you complaint they really don't care. But if you dare to cancel services before the 12 months are up, they charge you cancellation fees. I guess the contract is a one way contract.

oneoone

join:2010-01-20
Lagrange, GA

Re: breach of contract

^^ Stop trying to hijack someone else's review with post your own irrelevant views or dislikes.

Grateful

@108.192.74.x

Re: breach of contract

Let me express a different view - 1. Thank you for your addition to the review. I am interested in the performance of the service but also the cost. If the vendor is not a stickler about legality, I care. If I can't trust the vendor, what difference do their service/cost terms make. 2. Post what you want as long as it's respectful. Don't let me tell you what to do just because I'm having one of my bossy and obnoxious days.

my thoughts

@24.209.161.x

Re: breach of contract

The company has annual increases the end of January each year. These increases are both promotion package which while retail goes up so does your discount, net promo stays same, till your promo (normally 12 months) expires.

At the same time there are below line increases on fees, hsia fee is staying same ($7), receivers are increasing $1 (8 to 9) and local TV broadcast increase $1 (2.99 to 3.99). The average 3 TV internet account will see an increase of $3 February 1st 2015. This is stated in the terms of service agreement that very few seem to read.

Some say company not honoring price quoted XXX, truth is quote discount of XXX from retail pricing.... Fine print details, below line fees not a part of promo price quote, including local franchise fee and sales tax.

helper

@68.231.149.x
Often times you can find that one person who cares.they will warm transfer to retentions and make sure you get a good deal if not they assure you its ok we will try again until we get you a deal you deserve.it depends on who awnsers your call.