AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by wheelbarrow See Profile

• Location: Kansas City,Clay,MO
Good "Consistent speeds, good latency."
Bad "I wish the speeds were faster for what I'm paying."
Overall "U-Verse seems to be a good option for internet service."

·Windstream
Update 5/26/2014:

Speeds and latency have been consistent. Despite paying for 18 Mbps, I'm getting 22 Mbps due to over-provisioning. I'm still unable to subscribe to the 24 Mbps or higher packages.

AT&T recently bumped up the equipment costs per month to $7 for the modem/router. I wasn't too impressed with that move, and I'm still not.

I will be moving over to Google Fiber within the next few months, as signups were recently made available to my location. I still consider U-Verse to be a decent option if Google Fiber is not available - though the price does seem to be a little high in comparison to other providers in the area, of which offer faster speeds. Considering how badly AT&T is going to be whipped once Google Fiber actually starts service in northern Kansas City, you'd think they would try to be a little bit more competitive.

member for 4.6 years, 1677 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

DAg Aligaz

@23.127.18.x

Disappointed Customer with AT&T U-verse

I was out of internet/AT &T U-verse/ for one week
lost all times and money from 5/6/ 2014 through 5/13/2014 I called tech support and they told me they gonna send me a new modem. I got the modem arrived after couple days later and I called them back, to let them knew that I had the same problems "not working”…...the AT&T U-verse Rep. apologized me for inconvenent she told me that their is a network problems around my areas they promised me to be solved within the next day which they did fixed the problems. I send back the box/modem next day and they received it no problem. The funny parts now they send me additional $100 dollars bills on the top of my regular bills…no reason why?. I called back waited about (24.19 minute) to speak to someone. I talked to Rep. ’ after waisting time she told me that I have to pay this extra $100 dollars and then later I’ll get it back in three month as a crdit .
They got wonderful system right…??? they can’t take it out this $100 dollars from there system right away according she said and apologized again …… Wow…..
I’ll wait 3 month to get my ($100dollars) credit back!
Great service AT&T U-verse….!
I was very disappointed losing time, money and I got to scwed-up charged $100.

Review by u35828 See Profile

• Location: Evanston,Cook,IL
Good "Easy to Transition to U-Verse Express from Elite"
Bad "Service Unreliable, distance from CO a problem"
Overall "Switch if you can"

I had some connection reliability issues with the U-Verse Elite speed tier (6M/768K); it was recommended that I downgrade to Express (1.5M/384K) due to issues associated with distance from the CO. Hell, they might as well be using copper runs from the Coolidge administration, given my building's age. My neighborhood doesn't have one of those fancy AT&T roadside cabinets.

The service at the new tier is not at all reliable; I've had to reboot the Motorola ADSL2+ modem on numerous occasions whenever there's a connection failure in diagnostics. As for power being an issue; the Motorola device gets its power from an APC Smart-UPS 1500.

Comments:

upset

@70.194.193.x

more speed on my Internet

Simple job turned into a three day disaster. Still have no cable or internet. No one has the same answer to the problem. Tech. Comes out and nothing is resolved. Two so far.

Review by TNBronco See Profile

• Location: Memphis,Shelby,TN
Good "All of it!"
Bad "Haven't seen anything yet"
Overall "Great service, no hiccups, wish I had switched sooner"

U450, HD, 12meg internet, VoIP.

Ordered online, process was pretty simple. Point and click, verified the install date and time. Was given an install window for the morning of 04/25, between 9AM and 11AM. Got a call from the technician named "Marcus" at 8:50 to tell me he was on his way. Installer was VERY polite, and even put slip covers over his shoes before he came in. (which I told him not to worry about, but he insisted) He did some testing on the lines at the back of the house and went down the street to wire up the service, he had my new modem (Motorola NVG589) up and my internet service running within an hour of showing up. I only have 2 TVs in the house, but I signed up for 3 (so I could justify getting a new TV for my office). He put the DVR (Cisco) in my office and setup 2 wireless boxes for my other TVs, one of which is on the top floor of my split level home, with the office on the bottom floor, so I was a little worried that it would be a problem, but he swore it would work with no issues, and so far, he has been right.

Overall I've been really impressed. I had DirecTV and BellSouth DSL for the last 10 years, both of which worked just fine (but my DSL was limited to 1.5mbps, uggg!) I've seen some reviews that said the picture quality on at&T wasn't as good as Direct, but I don't see that. I've got just as good a picture on everything, my wife swears the HD is better, but I can't say either way. My internet speed is noticeably faster, and the installer did a great job of walking the whole house measuring the wifi strength, and he even set up my old linksys wireless router as an AP to boost the signal on the other end of the house. Internet streams netflix in HD with no issue and no buffering, even when my daughter gets on the wifi with her laptop.

I'll update this again after I've had it 30 days to see what, if any issues come up, but so far, I'm impressed.

Comments:

Review by itsbry See Profile

• Location: Fernandina Beach,Nassau,FL
Good "Solid, consistent internet connection; crystal clear HDTV, no installation issues."
Bad "Porting number tricky, alternate number for a week; unexpected"
Overall "Beats the snot out of Comcast at the same cost with DVR to boot!"

We needed broadband internet service, so it was Comcast or DSL... I haven't had any gaming issues with the 3MB download speed compared to Comcast's 15MB (when it was up). With 6 months free internet, we're out $111 per month, jumping to just under $150 after the promo. That is still cheaper than what we paid for TV and internet with Comcast, and then adding the phone bill.

We actually made the decision to order just before Christmas, and had everything finalized by the New Year (except the phone number; it was still being ported... took an extra week). The install tech came out on the 26th. Saturday, the 26th. I was pretty shocked that they were even working, and told the tech as much!

We have a 2wire modem/router so I don't need my D-Link router anymore. I do wish that I could figure out how to change the key, though. We got a 10-digit number that I will have to write down for guests when they want to log in to the network. If that's our biggest issue, I'm in pretty good shape.

Screw Comcast. They won't get my business again.

July 2010 update: Service is up 24/7 and the TV still looks great... I've figured out how to change the SSID and password, so things are about as good as I could ask for.

January 2012 update: No changes. the phone works, the HD TV works even better, and the internet service is up 99% of the time. We all hate the increase in fees that bump the monthly rates, but I will pay for consistently good service and I bet you would too.

April 2014 Update: Still no changes, barring a slight upward trend in cost (maybe $15 over four years). We will be cutting the land phone line to save a few dollars ($35 approx.)... I'll holler if it backfires on me.

May 2014 Update: The bundling of service makes it more expensive to cut the land line... phht. I did get a better idea of how to manipulate the promos offered and ended up with a better package for the same price. Although this doesn't accomplish my goal of reducing my bills, I suppose it's the next best thing.

Comments:

Kae

@sbcglobal.net

On Demand

The Att U Verse on demand sucks! There aren't nearly as many tv shows on it as comcast.

SaynotoATT

@166.137.101.x

Att sucks!!!

Terrible customer service. All of the reps have different information, they aren't consistent. They could careless about people and the reason why their bill was late. They have no program to get back in to good standings. This is the real world, things happen!!! They are VERY greedy and it's a total rip off. They will keep billing you even if you no longer have their services. And they pray that you don't notice the mistake. And the cable isn't all that great anyway!

David

thats y att its #1 in cust services

Fireball31

@108.72.224.x

Service call

Had a problem with my DVR , this afternoon a technician came out and did a great job. His name was Michael , very professional, thanks

Review by techguyga See Profile

• Location: Cumming,Forsyth,GA
Good "Installation techs, picture quality, internet speeds, equipment"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "Great product offering!"

I have to say that so far, I am completely impressed. I have been a DirecTV customer for 14 years and was fed up with their contract renewal policy, so I decided to try Comcast. I live in a very rural area, and these have been my only choices.

After spending 6 days, including almost 17 hours on the phone with Comcast tech support, and 4 hours standing in their local office, I was almost ready to give up and switch back to satellite. Just for fun, I checked the availability page on the U-verse site and to my surprise, it was available!

I ordered at 6:45pm on Monday, and my install appointment was set from 9-11 the very NEXT MORNING. The outside tech called 10 minutes prior to arrival (9am) and was very courteous. He pulled new cable to my house from the street (900+ feet). He verified that the signal was good and started packing up.

I then received a call from the inside tech 10 minutes prior to arrival (10am). He was also very courteous and professional. He discussed placement of the equipment, told me exactly what he was about to do, said it would take about 2.5 hours, and set about his work.

At 12:15, he was sitting down with me on the couch and explaining my package, how it operates, and all the controls and equipment. At 12:30, he was on his way, exactly as promised.

I have only had the service for a couple of days now, but internet speeds are as advertised and the TV picture quality is exquisite. I am a happy customer so far.

2wire 3801HGV RG
Cisco IPN4320 DVR
Cisco ISB7005/VEN401 Wireless receiver/AP
U300 - HD - 18/1.5Mb internet

****UPDATE - 22-October-2012****

Since service was installed a little over 2 months ago, we have had zero issues, no calls to tech support, and could not be happier with our service. Internet speeds are exactly where they should be, and picture quality is still excellent. No drops in either service. Billing is accurate each month with proper discounts applied. Still a very happy customer.

****UPDATE - 2-May-2014****

No technical issues at all since my last update. I've done a few changes to my package and lost some of my promotional pricing, so my bill is getting on the hefty side now, hence the drop in the value rating. We will hopefully be moving in the next few weeks and the new area unfortunately does not have service. I can truly say that I will miss it once we're gone. Bundle now includes U-300, Power Internet and home phone.

Comments:

guygettinguv

@spcsdns.net

anxious

Ill bet getting uverse set up tomorrow. Will post all aspects if service connection, speeds customer service and hospitality.

Review by AbstraKT See Profile

• Location: Bellflower,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Cheap. $15 Monthly for Express. $40 Regular"
Bad "Super Slow. Speed was NOT as advertised."
Overall "Get something else. Definitely not worth it, despite the good deal."

- We ordered the 1 year $15/month package. It was advertised as the "Express" Package @ 1.5 Down / 0.5 Up

- The order was pretty easy. The "agreed" activation date was 2 weeks from the date we ordered it. However, they didn't activate the service until we called them 2 weeks "after" the agreed activation date. NOT TO mention we had to pay ($50) for a tech guy to come and activate the service. (Which we were not told about)

- We were supplied the Motorola NVG510

- The only thing that was bothersome was the speed. SUPER SLOW. We were definitely not getting 1.5 Up and 0.5 Down. It was more along the lines of 300KB Up / 100KB Down EVEN THOUGH all I planned to use it for was to surf the web. FYI This package is obviously not for gaming. (tried it, failed miserably lol) Downloads were horribly slow. Didn't even bother with uploading anything.

Don't get this deal, spend the extra money to get something better, this package is NOT worth it, despite the price. At least in the area. (90706)

Comments:

thatguythere

@69.178.189.x

Those

speeds are correct. 1.5 mbit down and 0.5 mbit up comes out to around the speeds you're getting in kiloBYTES per second.

join:2014-01-06

Not even close to the correct speeds something is WRONG!

That's not correct, his speeds are way low even using the conversion. If you allow for overhead with ADSL he should still be getting about 1.1 / 0.35

@AbstraKT:

Your profile at ATT is NOT correct. Call them and have them rebuild your account profile. If that doesn't work there is a line problem somewhere, have them do a line test as well.
MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

Re: Not even close to the correct speeds something is WRONG!

1.5 megabits equates to 187.5 kilobytes, without factoring in overhead. 500 kilobits (0.5 megabits) equates to 62.5 kilobytes. It's not hard.
AbstraKT

join:2014-04-29
United State

Re: Not even close to the correct speeds something is WRONG!

"187.5 kilobytes"

Yeah, that's the average speed the downloads were at. It fluctuated a lot though.

How did you know that without even knowing if I'm near a CO or not?

davidc

@108.69.182.x

might have him post in at&t direct

this is david, I am currently logged out, might post in direct and we can check into this tomorrow if you wish.

Have a good night-
David

Review by cprussak See Profile

• Location: San Diego,San Diego,CA
Bad "Service seems to be deteriorating. "
Overall "Uverse vs. regular DSL is not all it was made to sound like."

Speed has slowed down from 10+ megabit download to mid 6s. Also seems to be a burst mode that rolls back fairly fast. Streaming from Amazon has become problematical.

Comments:

Review by banana_fing See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "The connection only went down three times, and at that, they were brief downtime. Advertised as 6mbit, I was quite satisfied. "
Bad "The cost. Really expensive if your contract runs out. At renewal, the prices and packages and prices may be different. "
Overall "It's a good company, but be on the lookout for deals because otherwise you might end up with a larger bill after the contract. "

I had this service for a year -- and it included very limited phone service (I opted for the cheapest landline). Customer service is what you expect anywhere -- it might take a few tries to get your issues sorted, in my case, re-negotiation of a contract, but if you're patient and consistent, will be resolved.

Comments:

Review by Hermana See Profile

• Location: La Crescenta,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Works great"
Bad "Took a couple truck rolls to resolve a stuttering connection"
Overall "Reasonable value; happy camper"

·AT&T DSL Service
In December 2013, I called ATT sales to explore how to reduce my overall service cost. I was offered a U-verse bundled package (6.0 internet $29 / phone $35 12 month promo price) with a free truck rolled installation. While the original DSL 3.0 $35 / phone service $35 had more than adequately satisfied my technical needs, I was happy to pay less to get more.

The installation was schedule for 2 days later with a 4 hour afternoon time slot. The on-time, installation technician swapped out the existing 2-Wire modem for a PACE Model 5031NV modem. The service was up and running in about 5 minutes.

A few weeks later, I realized that while streaming Netflix that the new "faster" U-verse connection intermittently stalled whereas the previous DSL "slower" connection had been rock steady. Additionally, I realized that I wasn't able to pick up my voicemail.

The night owl in me called tech support at 2 AM, got a tech to test the line and a truck roll was scheduled for the next day. The field repair tech tested the line and indicated that he had identified a Central Office provisioning issue that caused the intermittent stuttering connection and he instructed me on how use the U-verse voice mail portal.

A few nights later while again streaming Netflix, the connection seemed to stutter again. My midnight call to 611 resulted in the answering technician testing the line, his declaration that he saw an issue and his dispatching another truck roll for the following day. This time the field tech diagnosed the problem as "bridge tap" and indicated he was able to resolve the problem.

The connection appears to be reasonable reliable and my Netflix "binge streaming" appetite is now unimpeded. The delivered download speed of 7.9 exceeds the promised speed of 6.0. Bottom line—happy camper.

Comments:

Review by StevenCL See Profile

• Location: Belton,Bell,TX
Good "Price"
Bad "You get what you pay for"
Overall "There is nothing else available in my area"

AT$T U-verse service has never given us even half the speed they advertise. The service drops up to a dozen times a day for no apparent reason. Their have never pro rated our bill. It feels like they don't care that the service is this bad where I am located. The first service provider that offers service to my house other than AT&T is getting my business.