Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by smashcraft See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "Reliable connection, price compared to cable is not bad, customer service seems to have improved"
Overall "Big improvement over cable, reliable connection"

Ordered service on March 10th and had the install take place on April 21st. The technician that arrived was professional and had me up and running in about two hours. Equipment included the 2Wire/Pace 3801 gateway and one DVR.

I had U300 television installed, 12 meg internet, and unlimited telephone service. The technician re-used some CAT5 cable and connected the gateway to the NID, back-fed the telephone service to the NID on the same line, and back-fed the television over a coax run to the cable box outside.

Service is very good. The picture is crystal clear compared to Time Warner, the internet is reliable, and the telephone service is excellent and very clear. The only complaint about the telephone service is that most features have to be activated and maintained via the Uverse Portal. For example, if I want to add someone to call blocking, dialing *60 will only activate and turn on the service. Inputting telephone numbers occurs through the Uverse Portal.

I am paying 144.00 after taxes and fees with a 24 month price guarantee. Additionally, I should receive 150.00 cash back plus 100.00 cash back for ordering online. There is a 12 month contract on the internet portion of my account.

Overall, I am pleased with the service at this time. Updates will follow.

11/23/2014: overall, services are still working flawlessly. No outages to speak of at this time, crystal clear television, and internet connection is reliable (receiving 15.02 mbps down and 1.61 up on a 12mbps package). Telephone service is working very well. The billing nightmares I experienced a few years ago have seemed to work out. All of my promotions and promises at the sign up of service have been fulfilled and are continuing.

Comments:

Review by Kiwi See Profile

• Location: USA/MidWest
Good "Realiable, reasonable price for business class."
Bad "Slow service plan "
Overall "What counts is reliability and AT&T does deliver that."

Various reviews over the years and multiple ISP's since the advent of high speed 1200baud rate

Aristotle was hard to beat with 1G/1G, while Dallas and the crew were there, using Earthlink, which left us all holding an empty bag of zero's. Now using AT&T, which I have not had since comparing them and cable around 2000.

One thing about AT&T, they may be consistently slow, but they are reliable and many understand how important that is. Averaging around 9meg, with a service of 12meg -But, I'm a couple of miles from the sweet spot. It does get under my skin that less than 800 yards away is a Uverse sweet spot I can't have because the line runs the wrong way. Living in a historic district has it's downsides with any service; we are always LAST on any service update list, regardless of what it is.

I'm happy to have a solid connection though and will not complain about pricing for a business line at all, $40 a month is ridiculously low. I'm used to $80's + and cable was $200. I'm hoping AT&T upgrades the area so that I can also get TV and will be more than happy to pay for the service; I have never, ever been a grinch when it comes to paying for broadband, I use it more than anything else PC related -So, I'm willing to pay. I have now had service a full month.

After getting service, which was delayed due to the software mishap for a week, I'm fairly content, I know the line can handle a much better connection speed (Aristotle/Earthlink) but AT&T is slow [Years] to upgrade hardware.

If there is a con, it has to be contacting AT&T -It's entirely setup for cell phone wireless customers ONLY and is horrific to get past. However the results have been great in terms of results. AT&T will not leave you hanging without a service like Comcast will.

Cheers
***********
Update April 26th, 2013 Remains 100% reliable. Satisfied.
UPDATE Oct/Nov, 2013 Remains 100% reliable. Satisfied. Would still like full Uverse services (TV), however doubt that will ever happen.
***********
Pleased to continue with AT&T.

UPDATE 03/15/2014 ---Business line
I'm patient when treated well.
Mid January a tree limb dropped all lines to the house, all were fixed, but continued to have issues with Uverse internet.
As it happens AT&T are prompt and the tech team fast to reply and for that I'm grateful enough to hang in. I have had all sorts of tech visits since having the line replaced, cat5 inside, new modem, new ground and even a new drop --In spite of that on a 12meg line I was getting 1100 baud rate [.45] Fast forward to today. The strange thing was although there was a lot of noise the line gave 10/.900 for around 4 to 6 hours after a Tech left and then dropped dead again.

Allen (Roy) came out, it was pretty easy to see he was committed to resolving the problem and did! Now here is the catch, lines running from the box on the pole (street) had a boot spike through the middle (half way up the pole), the lines it seems touched enough with a wind to provide a connection (They really were broken in half) almost like working with WIFI 1/8 inch apart.
Nobody can tell me these lines can't take abuse. KUDO's to Allen.

AT&T continue to treat customers well with regard internet issues and in spite of this difficult to discern problem, still came through.

Update 11/22/2014.
I won't hold my breathe for the Politics of broadband to end in the next decade, meanwhile the struggle between consumers and broadband providers are at odds.
AT&T remains stable compared to the only other option, Comcast in this area. It's unique in that Comcast and Bank of America hold the distain of the majority of their customers, neither need people to work for them as the results are worse than having an automated response regardless of the issues. Arkansas remains the bastard child regards servicing broadband, along with a few other Southern States.

Added another Uverse business line 6mgsec /700kbsec to the account of 12mgsec /1mgsec because if two devices were hooked, not much chance off a functional internet connect. I require an uninterrupted VPN access, for work.

The added line resulted in 5.5mgsec / 356kbsec and a slight increase on the 12/1 account 10.5mgsec / 1mgsec. I'm not complaining based on the 3,800' distance from the CO. Basically in my area that means more than 1,200 potential customers for greater than 18mgsec service just waiting, perhaps in the next decade, maybe not. It's an Historic area, simply put the lowest 'Pawns' in the city for service because of an upgrade need, upgrades simply don't ever happen. Comcast serves the area no better with 50mgsec which is approximately 20% over provisioned for service, can't go over 25mgsec without constant interruptions. One day an ISP will allow Americans to join the economic powers of the remaining World consumers in establishing reasonable ecommerce. The truth is providers are trying to push customers on to the ridiculously priced LTE service.

Out of the services available at least AT&T is prompt, trouble free and does not incur that terrible practice of twice a year price jumps, with no change in service.
Thanks goes out to the prompt lineman who replaced a pole to pole broken wire bundle and Joey for the hookup.

$45 Line one
$35 Line two.

Cheers

Comments:

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

Had SDSL at 1G/1G, on (what became) U-Verse lines?

Guess you meant 1Mbps/1Mbps; else it was FTTP or FTTC (very short copper length before fiber interface) not SDSL.

Recent variants of SDSL I believe don't exceed 5/5Mbps even when using two pairs.

attuverse_1

@108.214.114.x

too big or we're just too small

From one problem to the next ATT is what is wrong when large companies crush small ones to take over a market. What ever happened to all those neighborhood internet providers.

First to go is customer service, though they always say (from a script I'd imagine) when answering the call "i'm sorry your having problems today, how can i help you"... they have no actual care or sincerity in the statement and it literally sounds like they are reading it word for word.

All one needs to do is call them with a problem to find you'd be transferred minimum 4 times, go through about 3 of those with a machine that doesn't understand a word you're saying and only in the end to be told, "I'm sorry but that falls under our charge for service" department, I will transfer you now"... then the rep answering the phone (though all very nice) will tell you that they really don't know about that problem and will be happy to break out the manual to troubleshoot with you. All while you're getting charged now for support for equipment you're already paying for to work...

I find it also curious that ATT on their main site will display positive 4 star customer feedback, but there is absolutely no where to create or provide customer feedback. Are those posts simply fake? Class action suit to follow soon...

Does anyone have statistics on how often those computer answering services really work? 2% of the time? less?

In just a little under 6 months we've had multiple problems with ATT Uverse, our TV service goes on/off randomly, our internet is just "ok" and not something i'd recommend to anyone. Our billing is HIGH (actually through the roof, normally customer service is good to be honest but the constant "I'm sorry" seems placating and not sincere at all and actually getting through to customer service is harder than washing a cat. Every transfer (and you will be guaranteed minimum 3) results in a computer system that can not understand a thing you are saying and a rep that wants all your account information again and again and again (the machine tries to get it as well) and in the end will say "I'm sorry your experiencing this problem let me transfer you to our specialist. Is there every really a specialist? Let's take a look at what this customer service team org chart must look like;

machine - "please say or enter your account number", "sorry I don't understand that response", "please say or enter your account number", "sorry I don't understand that response", "please say or enter your account number", "sorry I don't understand that response", "please say or enter your account number", "sorry I don't understand that response", "I'm sorry I'm having difficulty, I'll transfer you now" (isn't maybe just 2x enough to warrant a transfer to a person and what ever happens to the immediate opt-out option "representative please".)

- receptionist (has a list of departments to transfer you to only - don't get too excited you talking to a real person yet - in some cases I'm still not sure they are human or maybe it's just that they don't speak my language very well...) "hi, can I have your account and billing information please", "I'm sorry you're having difficulty, how can I help you". "I'm sorry that's not something I can help you with, let me transfer you to the right department". (right before they transfer you they always ask "Is there something else I can help you with before I transfer you")

- dept 1 (say tech support) Machine 2 "please say or enter your account number", "sorry I don't understand that response", "please say or enter your account number", "sorry I don't understand that response", "I'm sorry I'm having difficulty, I'll transfer you now"

- tech receptionist ("what is your account information, what is the problem you're experiencing, sorry that's not something I can help you with, I'll transfer you now, is there anything else I can help you with before I transfer you)

- customer service "tech support 1" (I'm sorry you're having these problems let me get some information about your account up on my computer... "what is your account #, What is the problem you are experiencing..., that must me very frustrating, I'm going to help you right now..., it appears your problem requires a "specialist", we're going to get you help immediately, I'll transfer you now to our paid services department") WHAT?

- specialist 1 (vague description/title - "Master Techster" of ATT&T), "I'm sorry your experiencing these problems, can you provide me your account information please.... please give me a minute to look that up". "i'm sorry i'm not familiar with this problem but I'm going to try to help you". (what! I thought this was the specialist). "I'm going to escalate this to our supreme support team please hold".

- god team, "Hi, very sorry your experiencing these problems how can I help you"... (finally you're thinking I'm here, I can now get help, you take a breath, your heart slows a bit, you can again feel your fingertips as you relax them on the phone, and patiently with anxious gitty excitement in a trembling voice you ask)

"How do I reset my router password"

hmmmmmm, so this is the future of customer service as it would appear.

Not that this rant matters much in persuading the masses from switching back to small hungry and motivated local business services as they are a long gone market sector and unfortunately it's highly unlikely any of the other carriers are much better, ATT very well might be the "best of the worst" in service and support. But its a good example of what not to do if you own/manage a business and want to keep your customers.

Review by milkman82 See Profile

• Location: Lakewood,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Internet, TV video quality, Price, Upload Speeds"
Bad "Caps! Not going back at that rate!"
Overall "great quality of service, poor billing and pricing"

·T-Mobile US
I wanted to try U-verse mainly for the upload speeds on the internet connection. However, I have noticed the overall internet connection is GREAT! Not just on the speed but also on the QOS. My Cox cable has about the same speed download, but is terrible with latency on YouTube and various sites load timing.

I was honestly surprised over all of the internet and tv quality. Just wish we did not have to use a RG to connect the service. The RG really does well overall, just bulky and I can't own it!

The guy who came out to install the service did a great job as well. I showed him where I wanted the RG and he had no problem with that. He made a very clean cat5 line in the basement and rather than drill a hole in the floor and run the cable though the hole. He ran it in between the wall and to a port he installed on the wall. Much better than the cable installers! Now, to just enjoy the service!

Update 11/8/2010

Had a few issues over the past couple weeks. However, AT&T direct forums were able to solve the issue. Still on the 24Max tier and enjoying service.

Update 9/24/2011

Service has been running smooth only had one day outage since the last problem almost a year ago. However, my feeling is the service went from a great value to middle of the road. I can't justify a good price with the low caps and increase in modem rental fees.

Update 11/9/2014

Dropped AT&T like a bad habit! Once I moved to Ohio city (2012), all they offered was low speed packages at high prices.. AND WITH CAPS! I was never a cable internet fan in my previous lifetime.. However, Time Warner did fix that for me.. much higher speeds and unlimited bandwidth.. All a great deal!

member for 8.7 years, 1624 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by pmedlock See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "Fast reliable speed, same with the service"
Bad "none yet"

I have not had any trouble with my service, I just recently upgraded from 24 to 45 meg. I think I only dropped signal 1 time during the 2 years I had the service and it came right back up. I work from home so I am always online. Both the first modem and the new modem are made by Motorola. Install tech's make sure they do everything right the first time so they do not have to come back.

Comments:

Review by grcore See Profile

• Location: usa
Good "Uptime has been excellent so far"
Bad "Deals only last so long, RG's have limited options, upstream is not great"
Overall "I would keep it if they kept the price down"

Have had U-verse for 9 months, uptime has been excellent, perhaps that is due to being close to the RT. Their gateways are limited, wish they had a bridge mode, and not some baloney DMZ. I have WiFi shut off on the RG, use my own router, and forward the ports I need.

I do not have video service, and I bought the RG on ebay for $20, so i sent the $100 RG they gave me back for a refund (even though they were not supposed to send one, they did).

I had some initial trouble after the install, but that was to the daisy chained inside wiring in the house. I ran a separate cat5e from the NID to my modem and the connection has been rock solid.

The tech that did the install appeared to do things right, and reterminated everything in the NID with new parts. (no more rj11 jack in the NID, they put in IDC termination gear).

Overall its been a pleasant experience, if they can keep the price down after this 12mo. deal, I would keep it. But I doubt they would make me any offers other than adding TV service (which I have no use for). I get offers every week from them to add video service, it must be a money maker for them.

Comments:

Myhrddin

join:2003-12-12
Beaumont, TX

It's gone out again

I have just gotten a credit due to the last outage. And it has gone out again. I find it interesting that it tends to go out after midnight most of the time. If I didn't use it still it'd be alright until dawn. Of course, no phone either.
I am having trouble with this being an actual failure since its so regular.
Whatever the reasons, I'm quite tired of this pattern of outages.!

May be that the only thing that will put a stop to it is having to credit me every time it vanishes.
I'd rather have the service than the credit but, whatever it takes I guess.

Review by ldollard See Profile

• Location: Stevenson Ranch,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Stable, only had an outage once"
Bad "I rarely get my top speed"
Overall "I most hit about 10mbps down, thats bull#$%^"

The service is what I expect of an ISP, but its the worst out of TWC and Comcast. At least with them i mostly got my top speed.

I pay double for this max speed of 30mbps down. I usually get maybe 9-10mbps. Just unacceptable. Sadly, i can only use ATT in my complex. What a joke.

No i do not recommend them.

Comments:

Vanessa

@108.201.228.x

-1 recommendation

U-Verse..ripoff

Iam paying $200 for a U-300 and a bad quality internet. I called today to lower my bill. An agent insulted my intelligence trying to hook me up on a worst deal, for hours he refused me to give me answers. I am cancelling my service, it's worst than a divorce, ATT what a big scammers, embarrassing that a big corporation handle costumer service matter so poorly. Shame on you...
Vanessa from Fort Lauderdale, Fl

Myhrddin

join:2003-12-12
Beaumont, TX

Re: U-Verse..ripoff

Yes, the sales reps can be pretty bad sometimes. I'd suggest you call again and tell the rep if you can't get decent service at a decent price you are going to give your service to someone else. That usually will get you to someone with the power to make you a good deal and get your service cleared up to working fairly well. ..That is, if you would still be interested in clearing up your issues and getting the price down. If you do, and get a deal you actually can live with, be sure that you have it in an email that it's for 12 months and not one of their famous 6 mo. surprises.
Depending on if you're needing service in town or in a rural situation, there are different options for you should you decide to leave AT&T.

Review by tim See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Pricing (if on promo) and reliability are great, static IPs on residential service"
Bad "Off shore support is useless, get ready to explain basic networking concepts."
Overall "Best value around when it comes to reliability and performance."

Ordered AT&T U-Verse 45mbps service on a promotion, $38/mo. Added a /29 of statics for $15, plus a forced $7 for their gateway, a Motorola NVG589.

I placed the order at an AT&T store on a Friday, was given $150 in AT&T gift-cards for signing up in store, free installation, etc. Service was installed 3 days later, Monday, and the tech arrived 15 minutes prior to the scheduled 9a-12p window, calling ahead to let me know. Technician was professional, and was able to get my service turned up and ready to go rather quickly.

I don't use much functionality of the NVG589 unit as I have my own firewall, but the 589 handles routing the static IPs to my firewall just fine. I should note that during the install process, I noticed that the wireless radio on the 589 was relatively weak... again, I don't use it, so not a huge issue.

Service has been extremely reliable, I haven't had an outage once, since signing up in May of this year. When calling support to have my static IP block added, the process was quite tedious, as the multiple support agents I spoke to had no clue what static IPs were, and indicated to me that my single 'sticky-static' address assigned to the gateway was more than sufficient. Once you get past that, the service is great.

I can't comment on their TV or voice service, as I use DirecTV for satellite TV, and a SIP provider (Flowroute) for voice.

Overall, I'm rather pleased, and would definitely not go back to Comcast... AT&T fits the bill just fine.

Comments:

Review by Darknessfall See Profile

Good "TV features, uptime, and price"
Bad "Same service for 5 years :)."
Overall "Good product, but should upgrade their speeds"

·Frontier Communi..
How I'm installed:

All coax except for one TV by the gateway which has Ethernet while using the 2Wire 3801.

Equipment Review:

RG -The 3800 has been going strong for 4 years so far expect for the summer of 2010 when it decided to lose signal a lot but since then it hasn't dropped out once at all.I haven't gotten to use the ethernet for my computer since it was placed as close as possible to the NID so I mainly use wireless and it has been pretty decent while only having two bars. Pinging my gateway usually gives 1-2ms latency BUT sometimes our gateway may have a random wireless seizure every couple of months for a few days where your wireless becomes incredibly laggy but other than that it has been fine. The wireless performance is kind of poor on max speed though due to using wireless G still. I kind of wished they kept the modem/router separate since it makes it a little more annoying if you want to add a router ; ).

- Changed to 3801 model after posting this. Not much difference. -
- The 3801 seems to get really hot - 6/28/2013
- Would like to add that with my WNDA4100 adapter I now get full bars through a lot of walls on my gateway. Wireless G still makes it a little at this distance though.

STB(1x Motorola VIP1216/2x VIP1200s) - While I cannot comment on the recording feature since we barely use it they still are in good condition and well... work...
- Update: I seem to see random moments when all STBs in our home refuse to turn off with the physical power button on the STB. Usually clicking the "Menu" button on the STB fixes it.

Remote - All I can say that is it's very well laid out and doesn't feel too bulky.

TV:

SD - It's pretty decent. Clear on CRT and on a HDTV it can either be clear or maybe a little blurry depending on original format.

HD - Clear and soft edged. Some channels seem a little blurry at times though while others are great.

Audio - Clear and no drop outs.

Pixelization - I barely see any at all except for the rare moment it may randomly do it for less than a second after months.

On Demand - No comment since we barely use but movie buying was quick and easy. One thing I like to note is that the On Demand section is a little empty at times.
Note: Movie rentals last 2 days I believe.

Menu - Always fast and no lag but sometimes I find myself going through menu options that should of been closer to the start of it all.

Channels - We love the channel selection on U-verse that other companies such as Comcast do not have. There are usually two or so channels of the same channel in case you want to watch something else on that channel during a certain time.

Phone:

Quality - Decent

Caller ID on TV - We've always loved this feature and it hasn't had a glitch for us.
Caller ID on Phone - Works, sometimes. Usually get "Incoming call" on the phone.

Responsiveness - Good but when we first got the service we had dial problems that fixed themselves.

Internet:(No longer have internet service)

Latency - We usually get about 25ish with 1ms jitter.(Wireless)

Advertised vs real world - We are only on the 3 down/ 1 up plan and get about 3.1 down/ 1 up(Wireless)

Speeds - Decent for an average user.

Internet Consistency - Always on. Never went down when our power remained on.

Billing:

Errors - None

Problems - None

Price changes - Get yourself on a promo price .

Paying a bill: Fast

Old customer bonuses: Well... pretty poor. Most they give you is $5 off for a few months when you upgrade and such. They give out free previews of the other channels over major holidays though. $10 promo card to upgrade to paperless billing made me laugh a little though.

- Update: Got added onto promo pricing .

Support:

Opinion - We hadn't had much luck with support at all. First time the rep helped give us a temp solve that we would have to keep using at the time then another rep began to blame our computer and repeatedly ask us to buy something for $99 until we said we were hanging up(Turns out the whole issue was because of the cheap 2wire USB adapters we had). I also had good reps over live chat that seemed to be nice and answer my questions well. Like most companies you can either get the dumb or the great people. The wait time wasn't too bad but they like to swap you around to other people a lot. When we recently asked for new equipment there were no questions asked, quick and easy. We got our equipment the next business day.

Update: Got 3 free remotes. Declined offer for free wireless receiver upgrade.

Update: 6/28/2013
Service is still running good with no downtime. Line seemed to have dropped in quality VERY slightly. I get a couple thousand corrected blocks over time in my RG's error table. Random link retrains/ DSL Training errors on bootup.

I'm hoping we get the new RG in our area soon. Still no RG firmware update for our 2wire 3801 and Motorola STBs.
- Got the RG firmware update today - 6/29/2013

Was offered Max Turbo for $33 for 2 years but didn't take it at this time. Will look later to see if Comcast can offer me Blast for $34.99. Hopefully AT&T decides to speed up their upgrades.

Update: 11/27/2013

Still only U300 + Unlimited Home Phone

No real issues still. Dreading the annual price increases. The price has gone up by quite a bit since almost 5 years ago.

Line stats at the time of this update:
Downstream Upstream
Max User Rate 59785 kbs Not Available
Noise Margin 19.2 dB Not Available
Attenuation 10.3 dB Not Available
Output Power 14.3 dBm -21.2 dBm

Update: 2/17/14

Have U300(3 receivers) + Unlimited Home Phone + Max Turbo now

Got into another promotion and everything together totals $124. May downgrade to the 200 minute plan.

It's been 5 years now of having U-verse.
Update: 7/28/14

I recently upgraded our broken VIP1200 to an ISB7005 which is must faster. I also downgraded from Max Turbo to Max Plus(getting 23/2). We also downgraded to the 200 minute plan a few months ago. My bill is now $109.

Line stats at the time of the update:

Down/ Up
Max User Rate 60168 kbs Not Available
Noise Margin 19.4 dB Not Available
Attenuation 10.8 dB Not Available
Output Power 14.2 dBm -20.7 dBm
Update: 8/30/14

Since the last review we replaced our second VIP1200 with a ISB7005 and our VIP1225 with a VIP2250.
Update 10/23/14

I will no longer have AT&T U-verse in a few days. I will soon be on Frontier U-verse(or however they will call it) due to the Frontier transaction for Connecticut.

member for 2.6 years, 1487 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Darknessfall
join:2012-08-17

Update - Data Collected for 15 Hours

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA

Re: Update - Data Collected for 15 Hours

Good review. Detailed and a good read. My only confusion is why the screenshot with only 15hrs of time? It'd be more helpful with about a week of data collected.
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.

Darknessfall
join:2012-08-17
·Frontier Communi..

Re: Update - Data Collected for 15 Hours

said by ImpldConsent:

I just reset my gateway then decided to post it so it was too late . I'll probably post another error table soon to replace it. Still looks the same at the time of this post.

Review by DarienRedSox See Profile

• Location: Darien,Fairfield,CT
Good "Whole House DVR works great, Boxes are responsive"
Bad "Price goes up when promo is up"
Overall "We will see"

PT aackage: U-200 (was U-Family but they upgraded me), 3Mbs Internet, 250Min Phone. Install done in Aug. of 2011

Website was easy to order and set up the install appointment

Installer was great, it dose take a wile to get an appointment though, about 60 days at the time of the order. AT&lso messed up my order so the installer was on the phone with the office trying to fix it. Install ended up taking most of the day

Connection Reliability
Only went out once for about 5 to 10 min. in Sandy AT&T gave me credit for the whole day.

Tech Support
Called about a DVR issue, first time I got disconnected the the person did not call me back at the callback number. Second call the person was more helpful and put in a request for a tech to come out. When tech came out they had given him all of the wrong information, once again on site tech was great, he wound up giving me an upgraded DVR unit.

Value for money
Like any thing in TV, Internet, and Phone these days, the price was cheap to begin with and went up as soon as the contract ended. Was able to talk them down once, but not a second time. Will be switching to cable because of the price. I will be comparing thee DVR to the U-verse DVR once I get it installed.

Update: 2/17/2013
Called to disconnect, was told that the phone rep I talked to last week should have given me a better deal, if so I would have stayed. Too late though because the cable installer disconnected a bunch of the U-verse wiring. If AT&T comes back to me with a better price (under $100 a month) as well as sends a tech out at no charge to fix the wiring that Cablevision disconnected I would be happy to switch back.

Update: 3/02/2013
Called back to reorder two weeks ago. Got service reinstalled yesterday. Installer was great, one or two issues with the outside lines and the iNID which took a wile to resolve. AT&T even through in a wireless box.

Update: 4/30/2013
So far so good. Install took a wile, some of the original equipment had gone bad in a lighting strike and needed to be replaced. Tech took his time at the install making sure everything looked good and all cables were organised. Tech. even through in a wireless box at no additional charge. Also got an updated DVR with more storage space. All of this and I only have the basic plan.

Had one issue on my first bill which I was being charged for a 2nd box which was suppose to be free for a year. I called about and the rep was happy to take care of it, and even through in an additional credit on my current bill.

Update: 12/9/2013
Still loving the service, I get lots of stations that cable in my area dose not carry, including BYU-TV, INSP, DIY, I would say that about 50% of my TV usage is on these stations. My internet speed is almost 8MBs even though I am only paying for 6. Had one issue back in July which was handled very well.

Update: 10/23/14
Still happy, there is a "cap" at 250 GB a month but it is not enforced. We in CT are being sold out to Frontier so I will see how that goes.

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

CV

CV should not have disconnected any wiring that belongs/ed to AT&T. If you sign back up- AT&T will make you pay for that since you had it disconnected by a non-authorized person/company.
DarienRedSox

join:2013-02-10
Darien, CT

Re: CV

AT&T had no issues reconnecting the wiring that was removed. The even left all of the stuff the CV guy had done active.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Re: CV

They had no issues now, but I wouldn't bet anything on that later.

Review by breese See Profile

• Location: Arlington Heights,Cook,IL
Good "Video and Audo Excellent"
Bad "Not enough info on hardware - DHCP cannot find equipment names"
Overall "I have already recommended to friends"

·AT&T DSL Service
·AT&T Midwest
My wife and I live in a Cape cod home built in the 50's.
For a few years I had been trying everything possible to get AT&T to install U-Verse in our area.
After some phone like outages I contacted the office of the president, explained the phone issue and they we would like to have U-Verse.
After a few weeks we started to get tech's showing up. Long story short, the lines in the area (as I told the office of the president) were 50 years old and one tech called the phone access box for the area a "Rats Nest".
Later the U-Verse teams showed up preparing the area for U-Verse to go live, but while do their job, they removed about a dozen houses from all phone service.
A few more calls and 3 days later (along with teams of tech's) all was repaired. Special teams from all over (and orders coming from the office of the president), we were told of the new buried fiber and that all lines were triple checked for communications.

Prior to U-Verse we had AT&T phone service, AT&T DSL 6M (maxed), and WOW Cable TV.
When we moved into the house all services were Ameritech but do to the split up, we got shuffled all over the place.
As we were informed U-Verse was now available, I got to work.
As I said the house was built in the 50's. After pulling put all the old phone cable, I built an area in the basement and began running cat6 and coax to every room.
Every cable throughout is properly labeled and the backbone of it all is a 24 port 1gig managed switch.

We ordered Phone Unlimited, Internet Max Plus 18M, TV U450.
When the installer came to put everything in, all that was required was plug and play after he switched the incoming line over.

First negative was when I asked to have a Bonded Pair.... The installer told me it was not needed. I informed him that I have the only buried lines in the area and having the bonded pair was an insurance in case of a line failure. Still did not get the pair.
(I will be making a separate request)

The next morning I was checking out all the new equipment. As I began to log into my NVG589 the main page informed me that the battery backup battery was not installed.
I opened the bottom and sure enough, no battery. The tech was kind enough before leaving to give me his phone number. Later in the morning I called him and before I returned home from work he had dropped a battery in my mail box as we had talked about.

With all the rewiring the setup is somewhat straight forward.
All the main components are in my living room entertainment center.
The phone line comes in from the basement (punch down block) and up to the NVG589. The output of the NVG589 returns to the a separate section of the punch down block and the house phone all connect to it.
With the NVG589 being the heart of the video and wireless, the connections are:
#4 to the DVR: IPH8005
#3 to the AP: VEN401 feeding the bedroom Rec ISB7005
#2 to the Rec IPN330HD
#1 to the gigabit switch in the basement.

Equipment Positives:
Internally there have been some positive changes to gateway that others have complained about including:
DHCP renewals are now adjustable
ICMP Pings can be enabled

I had adjusted the DHCP renewals to happen every 10 days. The evening of 10/17 - 10/18 (10 days after install) the VEN401 wireless lost connection to the AP. At the moment I am going to the leave the 10 day renewal in place to see if it duplicates my issue.

Documentation of the functions within NVG589 is poor at best. Trying to understand some of the available functions requires an internet search.

Over all the service has been reliable as we had hoped.
Overall quality:
Video has been exceptional. HD is very clear
Audio has been exceptional. Shows and Movie changes from Stereo to Surround sound are predominant and clear.

Hardware issues:

192.168.1.65 / Cisco_AP_ATT c8:fb:26:10:19:9d on Ethernet dhcp
192.168.1.66 / unknownbcc810c460c7 bc:c8:10:c4:60:c7 on Ethernet dhcp
192.168.1.67 / unknown7cb21b696d09 7c:b2:1b:69:6d:09 on Ethernet dhcp
192.168.1.69 / unknown4844873f0842 48:44:87:3f:08:42 on Ethernet dhcp

2 devices (once you manually verify mac address) do not match what is in DHCP.
Last digit increased by 1
DVR IPH8005 54E2E0090EA3
Rec IPN330HD 4844873F0843

NVG589 and IPN330HD supplied optical connection gets dropped on some switching from commercial to show changes. Causes a loud Pop from surround sound base.
Verified on both devices and happens at every commercial to show change on channel 1118 Smithsonian channel

NVG589 Controller / Remote issues
There is no direct button to get to user created Favorites
Creating favorites, scowling to find channels is long and cumbersome
Manual creation of favorites has to be done on each box. Could not find any way of transferring from one to another.

Speed and NDT testing is all over the place

NDT Test
1.85Mb/s Up
22.26Mb/S Down
55 packets retransmitted, 355 duplicate acks received, and 410 SACK blocks received

Speed Tests