AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by arush See Profile

• Location: Bolingbrook,Will,IL
Bad "Sales Rep Straight Up LIED!"
Overall "Beware of an Alex Torres At&t Sales Rep in the Bolingbrook Area"

Had a door to door sales rep interrupt dinnertime one evening, giving us a fabulous deal for Uverse internet, phone & tv for $103 a month for 24 months with free HBO. He left us an order receipt with the amount to be charged each month of $103. Low and behold the first bill arrives and the monthly total reads $171!!!! After 5 consecutive days of calling, scanning & emailing them a copy of the order receipt we signed and finally going into an At&t store, they negotiated a price for my bundle to $138. Not honoring at all the order receipt the sales guy completed and we signed. The sales guy is a scam! At&t customer service told me there is no package at a rate of $103 so they could not honor what he sold us!! So ticked!!

Comments:

none

new for less than 6 months

Service sucks. Programs lost, system freezing, Programs that were on record lost. TV freezes or audio is distorted, have had AT&T out multiple times. Have similar family members going thru thru the same stuff and going back to Comcast. I am about to go back to my Direct TV and Comcast

we can help

We can work on these, either click on my name (takes you to my contact page) or post in the direct forum here: »AT&T Direct
horseathalt7

join:2012-06-11

Re: we can help

Last time I checked, that is outright FRAUD. Which is a felony!
@Arush:
You should contact the FTC and your state consumer protection agency.

@David: If what Arush states is true you need to IMMEDIATELY FIRE Mr. Alex Torres!

·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

Re: we can help

said by horseathalt7:

My guess is probably a contractor, all the alex torres 's in company are in CA, TX and CT. None of them do sales.

Herpaderp

@rr.com

Bills

"He left us an order receipt with the amount to be charged each month of $103. Low and behold the first bill arrives and the monthly total reads $171!!!!"

Same thing happened to me. Turns out, the first bill is for 45 days instead of 30 for some reason, and there is an activation fee. The next bill should be around $103.

Review by alanxenos See Profile

• Location: Winnetka,Cook,IL
Good "Decent price, better than DSL"
Bad "4 stream limit ATM"
Overall "Like comcast, but less painful on the rear end."

·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Broadband..
Upgraded from AT&T DSL, which for the past year has never exceeded 512Kbps down due to crappy wiring. Was visited by a att door-to-door guy around Halloween. Sold me on the U-Verse 300 channel + 18Mbps internet service. Has been installed since 11/07 and it runs great. The only issue is we have 4 receivers in the house, and there is a limit to 4 streams so if all tv's are on, we can't record something in the background. I'll give them a temporary pass, as a tech told me there would be a 6-stream upgrade within 6 months, and 8 within 12. Also, had some initial receiver issues, called at 10p on a Monday night and had a tech out with a new one at 6p on Tuesday. All in all, a good experience so far.

member for 5.5 years, 443 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Anonjp

@spcsdns.net

AT&T sucks!

Where do I begin with this company. First off when requesting internet service i clearly stated that i wanted equipment sent to apt 139 and never recieved it. went looking for equipment and found it in front of apt 11 which was a model apt! After this Sent me a bill for almost $400 dollars in charges when I had already suspended my tv service with them two months prior and asked for Internet only. They then proceeded to suspend my service due to mistakes on their end and took over a month to revise my bill. Once bill was paid I requested Internet ONLY paid $100 deposit and all of a sudden there's a problem with finding a date for technician to come out. Horrible customer service! Reps set time and date to call back and never do. Tried making $100 deposit multiple times and they keep returning it to my card. Reps lie and say they left notes on account but when I call back they've magically disappeared. The last time I finally made payment and got date for technician to come out, come to find out they've accessed my bank account and have withdrawn over $800 which I did not authorize whatsoever.Called to speak to rep and was basically blown off and told that they had no knowledge of me calling in and my account number didn't exist. Called my bank and got my money back, terrible company and customer service will NEVER give this company my business again.

Review by suchageek See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis,MO
Good "Reliable Internet."
Bad "Watch out for supposed deal when extending. Not always what's quoted over phone."
Overall "Affordable, reliable service. Do not like dealing with AT&T. "

·ooma
Internet only Uverse. Even though I have no other Uverse service I received a 3801 HGV gateway (combo modem/router).

I have been using it for about a 1.5 years. It's been reliable for me. Noticed noise on landline, called and tech found the issue on their side and fixed it. For some reason my Internet speed also jumped up another 2 Mbps. Ooma Telo device arrived Friday, so will be dumping landline soon.

Previously had 12Mbps. Contract up in January so I called to see what kind of deal there was. Was quoted $33 for 24Mbps speed. Of course I agreed. Faster speed and saving $36 a year. Unfortunately, when I went online and checked my account there was the full $66 a month charge. I got that resolved but I will never trust what they say over the phone again. Apparently they can and will say anything. Did the rep think I would not notice twice the quoted price on next bill? The pricing issue was resolved easily enough but it took more effort on my part.

The actual product for me is good. Speed is all I need. Just wish AT&T wasn't such a PITA to deal with. Multiple phone transfers to different departments for simple things remind me of Dell support except that most of them are U.S. based.

Comments:

David
Granite City, IL

You can always contact us

in the direct forum.

suchageek
join:2002-12-22
Saint Louis, MO

Re: You can always contact us

I did via AT&T Uverse forums and customer care (not phone customer support) took care of the discrepancy. I will edit my review.

Review by Bigbluis See Profile

• Location: Altadena,Los Angeles,CA
Good "fast connection"

Switched from "another" provider; had bad customer service experience over and over. Got AT&T Uverse U200 phone/internet/TV bundle, approx $125/mo for 24 mos. Install day came and went, no show from tech by 6pm although there were calls to advise tech was running late. Rescheduled for the following week due to late hour. Install day#2 arrives and tech was prompt and quick. Did upsell to wireless receivers and explained benefits. Have 3 TV's so being able to move them around if we wanted to rearrange furniture is a big plus. Got HD free for 30 days, the usual HBO/Cinemax for 90 days. Was done in less than 2 hours. Equipment: wireless modem/router, wireless link for TV receivers, Motorola DVR and 2 wireless receivers for other tv's. Tech hooked up main equipment in room where prior service was connected so living room isn't cluttered with all the equipment and cords. Service is great, internet speed fast & reliable. All in all, very positive experience.

Comments:
febinc

join:2000-12-06
Key West, FL

Att Uverse

Just wait they will F*** you before it's all over

pppsssddd

ATT support

We have had uverse for 2 years. Their support is THE WORST. Having an issue with their DNS server not being found by the modem. Called and the tech said they do not use DNS servers. They argued about this with me and after about 20 minutes of going back and forth they finally scheduled a service call. This was scheduled for today between 8 am and 12 noon at 11:45 I went online to check the appointment and found, to my surprise, that it had been moved to the next day between 8am and 8 pm. I change my schedule for today and now I'm to take a day off to sit and wait for a 12 hour window. Have had to have them out on multiple time for service issues. Found out that the uverse service here is not really what they advertise because they never upgraded the network here and are running it over the old phone lines. When you talk to support they almost seam like they could really give a crap about your service, or they fact that you just sat home for the last 4 hours for something that was never going to occur.

Review by JoelTR See Profile

• Location: Carmichael,Sacramento,CA
Good "Friendly phone service, consistent speed and connection"
Bad "Had to call to receive rebates."
Overall "Thus far, consistent speed and no down time."

I considered Comcast, Surewest, and AT&T DSL. I previously have Comcast at my previous house, and I considered it for my new home. However, I decided against it because of connection down times I experienced, which was about a couple of days per month. Surewest offered similar service but a little more expensive. The maximum speed I could get with AT&T DSL is 1 Mbps.

Thus, I chose AT&T U-verse. Thus far, I'm happy with the consistent speed of 3 Mbps and no down time yet.

3/23/2011 Update: Since AT&T increased the Internet cost to $35 per month for 3 Mbps, I upgraded to 6 Mbps for an additional $5 per month. In a couple of months, I'll be looking at what Surewest can offer.

11/26/2012 Update: I upgraded to 12 Mbps at $33 per month.

11/3/2013 Update: I had a one year contract that ends on 11/5/2013. My bill has been going up. Now, AT&T is charging me $2 per month for equipment. My total bill for both Internet and voice is now over $82. It started at $69. Thus, I decided to switch over to Surewest.

Comments:

mrjoe

uverse tv a joke

We had att uverse installed in our home 2 weeks ago and although they knew we had four people who watch tv independently they didn't say we would have any trouble..With four TV's running in evening plus some recording many,,many times we have to watch same channel since this outdated (although new) system only allows a total of 4 functions no matter how many tvs you have.. this is a real Joke and ATT is so misleading in the millions they spend for all the commercials trying to get people to use this service

Review by sheffutd See Profile

Good "Consistent"
Bad "I'm paying for 45 but provisioned for 24!"
Overall "I need to see response."

I have the new to Atl Power tier" 45/5 and am general happy with ATT, especially with the other guy in town's HR policies. Order was easy, install was easy-ish. An outside service tech had to come and make adjustments to the 2nd bonded pair coming into the house. I'm still not provisioned for the speed I'm paying for. Hopefully fixed, soon.

Comments:

Review by Rader2ksl See Profile

• Location: Grayslake,Lake,IL
Good "Reliable Connection... Only 2 minor outages in 3 years"
Bad "Overall annual price increases that exceed the inflation rate. "
Overall "Only viable broadband choice here is Comcast and U-Verse. Both are monopolies."

Only viable broadband choice here is Comcast and U-Verse and both are monopolies.

Comments:

Midtis

Customer service

By far the worst customer service I have ever received. I have wasted over 3 hours on the phone trying to resolve a billing issue that is still unresolved and AT&T still owes me money. I am canceling my service based on the poor customer service. I will never use this company again, for anything, and would never recommend them.

Review by jonathanlord See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
Good "Options, quality, tech support"
Bad "prices starting to creap up just like cable companies. new fees are appearing"
Overall "This is a great service, but they are beginning to become more like the cable company"

U300, 12 MB Internet with Voice.
Price OK, but new fees are starting to make it less competitive.

Comments:

Review by tobymccann See Profile

• Location: Fort Worth,Tarrant,TX
Good "U-Verse has partnerships with several of the content providers to allow viewing over iphone/ipad"
Bad "Service in my area is deplorable. Slow connection speeds, frequent outages and interruptions in service."
Overall "How they can charge a premium for this product should be illegal. It might be better in neighborhoods that actually have fiber."

We live in an established neighborhood in a nice part of town. Buying a home in this area isn't cheap these days. With that said, its shocking AT&T hasn't updated their infrastructure to provide a level of service comparable to newer neighborhoods. The original marketing of U-verse was fiber to the house to offer blazing speeds and amazing content. However, our neighborhood is utilizing catTV infrastructure which is too far from the VRAD to provide speeds and level of service consistent with rate-plans and marketing claims. We ordered U300 & HSIA MAX VDSL @ 12Mbps, but rarely if ever get those speeds. One of the techs who came to our house said they actually gave us a higher rate to help ensure we get more consistent results since we are too far from the VRAD and the infrastructure is poor.

We do get a $10/mo service credit, but after all of that, taxes and fees I feel more than ripped off to be paying $175/mo for two cable boxes, HD and crappy Internet. By the way, we can only watch and/or record two HD channels at once. If we are using both receivers for HD (who watches anything in SD these days???), we cannot record another program - an issue that haunts us on a regular basis. Rarely, if ever can we make it through one program, movie or sporting event without a freeze, or blue-screen of interrupted service. We've had U-verse out more times than I can care so I don't believe it to be a quick fix, they just need to invest in their customer base. Not many alternatives in my neighborhood either, which gives AT&T little reason to invest, which is sorry.

Comments:

David

Can we help?

Can we assist if possible?
cmarslett

·T-Mobile US
·Clearwire Wireless

Re: Can we help?

Toby,

I would recommend you try help from David. When I had AT&T DSL and U-verse, I got the only useful customer service the company ever provided through the monitors here in the AT&T specific forum.

Texas (at least Pflugerville) tech support is REALLY marginal.
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

Get Dish Network

and the Hopper.Record 6 channels and much more

Review by nma851 See Profile

• Location: Indianapolis,Marion,IN
Good "Wide-Array of channel selection, Internet Speeds, & Single-Bill for all Services (Including Wireless) w/nice rates (Bundled)"
Bad "Higher-speed Internet stability/speed needs some work"
Overall "Pricing for services (Bundles) are competitive, retention pricing is always welcome, but technicians needs some training"

BACKGROUND:

As a (going on) 7 year customer of AT&T U-Verse, I have always kept up with the "latest & greatest" while also being loyal to AT&T. Therefore I don't even look elsewhere, which is only one other provider for my area anyway (BrightHouse Cable). It is unfortunate that having such a great TV lineup and being able to "Bundle" all my AT&T services into one bill (TV/Internet/Voice/Wireless) are all being put at risk due to the inability to resolve the inability to achieve AT&T's advertised 45MB Power-Tier Internet speeds. I am no longer even dealing with "regular" customer care, I must now deal with Tier 2 and corporate levels only.

As a loyal customer of seven years, AT&T has done well for 5-6 of those years; it has been this last year of services that now have me exploring any/all other available options.

SERVICES (THE "GOOD"):

I have the U-450, Premium "add-on's" (HBO, SHO, etc.), 2HD/2SD at $109/month.

I (now) have the "45MB Power-Tier Internet" at $60/month ($75-$15 for a year for being a "loyal" customer). Previously had the "Max-Turbo" Internet at $51/month/

THE DOWNFALL(S) AND INSTALL/REPAIR (STILL ONGOING):

When the U-Verse Power Tier (45MB) became available, I was sure excited & ready to get it. I already had the Motorola NVG589 Modem capable for this service & all that was required was the outside installation of the "Bonded-Pair" to bring that 45M's to life. The only reason I had the modem already was due to connectivity issues & one of the several techs out here swapped it to the Motorola NVG589 bringing the TV/Internet back to life PRIOR to the Power Tier upgrade. As a loyal customer, I received $15/month off for a year for the upgrade to this speed. That was what was supposed to happen, not what actually happened.

However, since the "Power Tier" upgrade, I have had 2 months to the day of HALF the advertised 45MB speed. 6 technicians later, we're no better off than we were with the previous speed (Max-Turbo). Despite the 2 months of speeds FAR less than advertised, I am beginning to believe it is simply NOT capable of obtaining the Power Tier speeds. At least 5 "Inside Premises Techs" have been out in 2 months, at least 3 "Outside Line Techs" have been out in 2 months, and as of the date of this review, the latest SpeedTest's are still around the following:

MAX ATTAINABLE SPEED (LAST 2 MONTHS):

17.69 Mb/s 5.29 Mb/s 50 ms

(Test# #841954295 Indianapolis, IN in the U-Verse 45Mbps Tier Users Needed for SpeedTests" thread/forum »U-Verse 45Mbps Tier Users NEEDED for speedtests...).

FINAL THOUGHTS:

This is quite unfortunate that I am now battling AT&T at the corporate level and their only answer, instead of getting to the root of the problem for their loyal 7 (seven) year customer, is to continue sending out more & more techs to keep swapping modems/gateways. On the bright side, at least we have one GREAT selection for the TV side of things. The U-450 offers much to watch/record/etc. ALL at the same time (2HD/2SD) so that $109 is spent VERY WELL! :). However, as far as the Internet-side goes, AT&T is obviously NOT ready to have rolled out this particular "Power-Tier Internet Speed Package" in Indianapolis.

UPDATE 20 OCT 2013

Given the nature of the problems associated with failing to achieve anywhere close to the 45Mbps Tier, I have to give credit where credit is due to the last set of three technicians that spent 10 hours here yesterday. They DID get the service restored by finding a "main line" that runs into the VRAD, being damaged from rodents & water, which was likely the original problem all along. New lines have been installed from this VRAD box to my home as well, just to ensure NO splicing has occurred, and this type of dedication to getting the job done right is WORTH NOTING. I applaud the efforts, although the timing was awful, as I can honestly sit here & say I now feel U-Verse has exhausted ALL options as far as "Premises Problems" are concerned.

U-verse did what it took - and again, credit is being given to these 3 guys for the hard work done to get the service back up & running 95% "right". This all being said, the ratings for tech, reliability, and value have all been raised. Granted, this should not have taken an email to the Executive Offices to gain their attention in the matter, however after 10 hours of what was done to get me back up and running deserves an overall change in the "Grades" originally given. In other words, U-Verse redeemed itself with this customer & I want this rating to reflect such.

Comments:

David

Can we help?

Can we help? we are only a direct post, email, or IM away.

Let me know.