AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by Bigbluis See Profile

• Location: Altadena,Los Angeles,CA
Good "fast connection"

Switched from "another" provider; had bad customer service experience over and over. Got AT&T Uverse U200 phone/internet/TV bundle, approx $125/mo for 24 mos. Install day came and went, no show from tech by 6pm although there were calls to advise tech was running late. Rescheduled for the following week due to late hour. Install day#2 arrives and tech was prompt and quick. Did upsell to wireless receivers and explained benefits. Have 3 TV's so being able to move them around if we wanted to rearrange furniture is a big plus. Got HD free for 30 days, the usual HBO/Cinemax for 90 days. Was done in less than 2 hours. Equipment: wireless modem/router, wireless link for TV receivers, Motorola DVR and 2 wireless receivers for other tv's. Tech hooked up main equipment in room where prior service was connected so living room isn't cluttered with all the equipment and cords. Service is great, internet speed fast & reliable. All in all, very positive experience.

Comments:
febinc

join:2000-12-06
Key West, FL

Att Uverse

Just wait they will F*** you before it's all over

pppsssddd

ATT support

We have had uverse for 2 years. Their support is THE WORST. Having an issue with their DNS server not being found by the modem. Called and the tech said they do not use DNS servers. They argued about this with me and after about 20 minutes of going back and forth they finally scheduled a service call. This was scheduled for today between 8 am and 12 noon at 11:45 I went online to check the appointment and found, to my surprise, that it had been moved to the next day between 8am and 8 pm. I change my schedule for today and now I'm to take a day off to sit and wait for a 12 hour window. Have had to have them out on multiple time for service issues. Found out that the uverse service here is not really what they advertise because they never upgraded the network here and are running it over the old phone lines. When you talk to support they almost seam like they could really give a crap about your service, or they fact that you just sat home for the last 4 hours for something that was never going to occur.

Review by JoelTR See Profile

• Location: Carmichael,Sacramento,CA
Good "Friendly phone service, consistent speed and connection"
Bad "Had to call to receive rebates."
Overall "Thus far, consistent speed and no down time."

I considered Comcast, Surewest, and AT&T DSL. I previously have Comcast at my previous house, and I considered it for my new home. However, I decided against it because of connection down times I experienced, which was about a couple of days per month. Surewest offered similar service but a little more expensive. The maximum speed I could get with AT&T DSL is 1 Mbps.

Thus, I chose AT&T U-verse. Thus far, I'm happy with the consistent speed of 3 Mbps and no down time yet.

3/23/2011 Update: Since AT&T increased the Internet cost to $35 per month for 3 Mbps, I upgraded to 6 Mbps for an additional $5 per month. In a couple of months, I'll be looking at what Surewest can offer.

11/26/2012 Update: I upgraded to 12 Mbps at $33 per month.

11/3/2013 Update: I had a one year contract that ends on 11/5/2013. My bill has been going up. Now, AT&T is charging me $2 per month for equipment. My total bill for both Internet and voice is now over $82. It started at $69. Thus, I decided to switch over to Surewest.

member for 13.3 years, 4078 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

mrjoe

uverse tv a joke

We had att uverse installed in our home 2 weeks ago and although they knew we had four people who watch tv independently they didn't say we would have any trouble..With four TV's running in evening plus some recording many,,many times we have to watch same channel since this outdated (although new) system only allows a total of 4 functions no matter how many tvs you have.. this is a real Joke and ATT is so misleading in the millions they spend for all the commercials trying to get people to use this service

Review by sheffutd See Profile

Good "Consistent"
Bad "I'm paying for 45 but provisioned for 24!"
Overall "I need to see response."

I have the new to Atl Power tier" 45/5 and am general happy with ATT, especially with the other guy in town's HR policies. Order was easy, install was easy-ish. An outside service tech had to come and make adjustments to the 2nd bonded pair coming into the house. I'm still not provisioned for the speed I'm paying for. Hopefully fixed, soon.

Comments:

Review by Rader2ksl See Profile

• Location: Grayslake,Lake,IL
Good "Reliable Connection... Only 2 minor outages in 3 years"
Bad "Overall annual price increases that exceed the inflation rate. "
Overall "Only viable broadband choice here is Comcast and U-Verse. Both are monopolies."

Only viable broadband choice here is Comcast and U-Verse and both are monopolies.

Comments:

Midtis

Customer service

By far the worst customer service I have ever received. I have wasted over 3 hours on the phone trying to resolve a billing issue that is still unresolved and AT&T still owes me money. I am canceling my service based on the poor customer service. I will never use this company again, for anything, and would never recommend them.

Review by jonathanlord See Profile

• Location: Fort Lauderdale,Broward,FL
Good "Options, quality, tech support"
Bad "prices starting to creap up just like cable companies. new fees are appearing"
Overall "This is a great service, but they are beginning to become more like the cable company"

U300, 12 MB Internet with Voice.
Price OK, but new fees are starting to make it less competitive.

Comments:

Review by tobymccann See Profile

• Location: Fort Worth,Tarrant,TX
Good "U-Verse has partnerships with several of the content providers to allow viewing over iphone/ipad"
Bad "Service in my area is deplorable. Slow connection speeds, frequent outages and interruptions in service."
Overall "How they can charge a premium for this product should be illegal. It might be better in neighborhoods that actually have fiber."

We live in an established neighborhood in a nice part of town. Buying a home in this area isn't cheap these days. With that said, its shocking AT&T hasn't updated their infrastructure to provide a level of service comparable to newer neighborhoods. The original marketing of U-verse was fiber to the house to offer blazing speeds and amazing content. However, our neighborhood is utilizing catTV infrastructure which is too far from the VRAD to provide speeds and level of service consistent with rate-plans and marketing claims. We ordered U300 & HSIA MAX VDSL @ 12Mbps, but rarely if ever get those speeds. One of the techs who came to our house said they actually gave us a higher rate to help ensure we get more consistent results since we are too far from the VRAD and the infrastructure is poor.

We do get a $10/mo service credit, but after all of that, taxes and fees I feel more than ripped off to be paying $175/mo for two cable boxes, HD and crappy Internet. By the way, we can only watch and/or record two HD channels at once. If we are using both receivers for HD (who watches anything in SD these days???), we cannot record another program - an issue that haunts us on a regular basis. Rarely, if ever can we make it through one program, movie or sporting event without a freeze, or blue-screen of interrupted service. We've had U-verse out more times than I can care so I don't believe it to be a quick fix, they just need to invest in their customer base. Not many alternatives in my neighborhood either, which gives AT&T little reason to invest, which is sorry.

Comments:

David

Can we help?

Can we assist if possible?
cmarslett

·T-Mobile US
·Clearwire Wireless

Re: Can we help?

Toby,

I would recommend you try help from David. When I had AT&T DSL and U-verse, I got the only useful customer service the company ever provided through the monitors here in the AT&T specific forum.

Texas (at least Pflugerville) tech support is REALLY marginal.
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

Get Dish Network

and the Hopper.Record 6 channels and much more

Review by nma851 See Profile

• Location: Indianapolis,Marion,IN
Good "Wide-Array of channel selection, Internet Speeds, & Single-Bill for all Services (Including Wireless) w/nice rates (Bundled)"
Bad "Higher-speed Internet stability/speed needs some work"
Overall "Pricing for services (Bundles) are competitive, retention pricing is always welcome, but technicians needs some training"

BACKGROUND:

As a (going on) 7 year customer of AT&T U-Verse, I have always kept up with the "latest & greatest" while also being loyal to AT&T. Therefore I don't even look elsewhere, which is only one other provider for my area anyway (BrightHouse Cable). It is unfortunate that having such a great TV lineup and being able to "Bundle" all my AT&T services into one bill (TV/Internet/Voice/Wireless) are all being put at risk due to the inability to resolve the inability to achieve AT&T's advertised 45MB Power-Tier Internet speeds. I am no longer even dealing with "regular" customer care, I must now deal with Tier 2 and corporate levels only.

As a loyal customer of seven years, AT&T has done well for 5-6 of those years; it has been this last year of services that now have me exploring any/all other available options.

SERVICES (THE "GOOD"):

I have the U-450, Premium "add-on's" (HBO, SHO, etc.), 2HD/2SD at $109/month.

I (now) have the "45MB Power-Tier Internet" at $60/month ($75-$15 for a year for being a "loyal" customer). Previously had the "Max-Turbo" Internet at $51/month/

THE DOWNFALL(S) AND INSTALL/REPAIR (STILL ONGOING):

When the U-Verse Power Tier (45MB) became available, I was sure excited & ready to get it. I already had the Motorola NVG589 Modem capable for this service & all that was required was the outside installation of the "Bonded-Pair" to bring that 45M's to life. The only reason I had the modem already was due to connectivity issues & one of the several techs out here swapped it to the Motorola NVG589 bringing the TV/Internet back to life PRIOR to the Power Tier upgrade. As a loyal customer, I received $15/month off for a year for the upgrade to this speed. That was what was supposed to happen, not what actually happened.

However, since the "Power Tier" upgrade, I have had 2 months to the day of HALF the advertised 45MB speed. 6 technicians later, we're no better off than we were with the previous speed (Max-Turbo). Despite the 2 months of speeds FAR less than advertised, I am beginning to believe it is simply NOT capable of obtaining the Power Tier speeds. At least 5 "Inside Premises Techs" have been out in 2 months, at least 3 "Outside Line Techs" have been out in 2 months, and as of the date of this review, the latest SpeedTest's are still around the following:

MAX ATTAINABLE SPEED (LAST 2 MONTHS):

17.69 Mb/s 5.29 Mb/s 50 ms

(Test# #841954295 Indianapolis, IN in the U-Verse 45Mbps Tier Users Needed for SpeedTests" thread/forum »U-Verse 45Mbps Tier Users NEEDED for speedtests...).

FINAL THOUGHTS:

This is quite unfortunate that I am now battling AT&T at the corporate level and their only answer, instead of getting to the root of the problem for their loyal 7 (seven) year customer, is to continue sending out more & more techs to keep swapping modems/gateways. On the bright side, at least we have one GREAT selection for the TV side of things. The U-450 offers much to watch/record/etc. ALL at the same time (2HD/2SD) so that $109 is spent VERY WELL! :). However, as far as the Internet-side goes, AT&T is obviously NOT ready to have rolled out this particular "Power-Tier Internet Speed Package" in Indianapolis.

UPDATE 20 OCT 2013

Given the nature of the problems associated with failing to achieve anywhere close to the 45Mbps Tier, I have to give credit where credit is due to the last set of three technicians that spent 10 hours here yesterday. They DID get the service restored by finding a "main line" that runs into the VRAD, being damaged from rodents & water, which was likely the original problem all along. New lines have been installed from this VRAD box to my home as well, just to ensure NO splicing has occurred, and this type of dedication to getting the job done right is WORTH NOTING. I applaud the efforts, although the timing was awful, as I can honestly sit here & say I now feel U-Verse has exhausted ALL options as far as "Premises Problems" are concerned.

U-verse did what it took - and again, credit is being given to these 3 guys for the hard work done to get the service back up & running 95% "right". This all being said, the ratings for tech, reliability, and value have all been raised. Granted, this should not have taken an email to the Executive Offices to gain their attention in the matter, however after 10 hours of what was done to get me back up and running deserves an overall change in the "Grades" originally given. In other words, U-Verse redeemed itself with this customer & I want this rating to reflect such.

Comments:

David

Can we help?

Can we help? we are only a direct post, email, or IM away.

Let me know.

Review by whamel See Profile

• Location: Hinsdale,Dupage,IL
Good "Dedicated bonded pair VDSL2, GREAT TV, Handles heavy load..."
Bad "Had rewiring with CAT 5e, Unstable pings/high latency/routing issues"
Overall "Rewiring solved a lot of problems, overall when you bundle all 3, U-Verse is NOW well worth it!"

·Verizon Broadban..
AT&T U-verse TV U450
AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet Power (45Mbps/6Mbps)
AT&T U-verse Voice Unlimited

Installed all CAT5e wiring with jacks to each STB. RG installed now is the Motorola NVG258. Excellent TV reliability.

Have had U-Verse since 2008. GLAD they finally upgraded the speed tiers using pair bonding...
See my install notes, photos, etc here:
»45 meg tier available in CHICAGO...AFTER INSTALL NOTES, etc

Comments:

Tntbal

@myvzw.com

Junk wifi

I had cable tv for years so I thought I would try uverse. They had a great price and channel selection. After having uverse for a year, I couldn't keep a wifi connection and had to call several times to fix the problem. That didn't happen, so I switched back to cable. After a few years, I decided to give uverse a shot again. Same crap Internet problems. Can't get on any of my wireless devices. Can't get ahold of anyone to rectify the problem. I have purchased a personal wifi hotspot just to be able to use my wireless devices. I will be switching back to cable ASAP.

·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

2 edits

Re: Junk wifi

What wifi problems are you having? If the WiFi is that "terrible" why not just buy a $30-50 router and connect it in one of the 4 ports on the RG and connect wirelessly to that?

if it helps, I actually use one of these:
»www.ebay.com/itm/Sapido-RB-1602G···85db81e3

Fantastic little units, they can be configured for Wifi AP, Wifi router or Wifi bridge. I have mine configured in wi-fi ap mode currently. I actually have 3 SSIDs at my house.

Naboo- does b, and g with WPA
eNd0r- does G, and N with Wpa2,
dag0bah- does b only and WEP (currently disabled as it is not needed)

So far I haven't had a lick of problems with Wi-Fi at all with that device and probably 20-50% cheaper than the personal hotspot.

Re: Junk wifi

May I ask, what that is, what is it for and how and where do I get it?

Re: Junk wifi

I got mine from ebay, I think they are up to generation 3 now. Small device. A store equivalent would cost $50 or better. That is what I use for my wi-fi in my house.

Thank you!

@sbcglobal.net
I've never heard of that company. How does it compare to Linksys??

·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

Re: Junk wifi

well for core routing I don't use a all in one box appliance. For this device as far as wifi b/g/n I don't have any problems using it in wi-fi ap mode. it's only 2.4 Ghz and light N, but I don't have any connectivity problems with it or wi-fi problems and I can have a wi-fi phone call for as long as I want, no matter where I am at on the property.

I am not a fond fan of WPA and WPA2 in one setting- this seems (least for me) to cause some devices to have a lot more problems than others. The sapido unit allows you to create multiple AP's which you can seperate WPA and WPA2 in their own SSID's.

For instance at my house:

the base AP is named "naboo" it is WPA only (B+G enabled)
virtual AP 1: Named "eNdor" it is WPA2 only (G+N enabled)
Virtual AP 2: named "dagobah" it is WEP only (b only)

I can also set two more AP's for when say, I have guests, I can set up a open "guest wifi" SSID and set it's max to 1mbps 802.11b only. Then after I am done, just go into it and disable it. reboot the little box, and go on my merry way. It will grab a local IP address from your router and allow you to manage it remotely.

Now bear in mind- when I bought this unit a few years back, my purpose was just to get better "G" connectivity. Back then a lot of consumer grade routers were coming out with light 2.4Ghz N only wifi N. At the time, B and G only routers were starting to drop in price/ Most times on Wifi N I get as least 65mbps. Granted not landline speed, but not too shabby either.

My son streams netflix all the time with the wifi g naboo access point. None of his devices have any problems at all.

I kind of took my lottery money ( I play very infrequently) and spent it on one of these devices. Needless to say this was one round of lottery money better well spent.
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

panda4life

@myvzw.com
I feel your pain. Im at the point now where I should just pay the early termination fee and go back to cable internet. AT&T is terrible and they wont do anything no matter what I say and how many times I call them.

Re: Junk wifi

What wifi problems are you having?

whamel
billhamel .net
join:2002-05-09
Hinsdale, IL

c

c

Review by rooftop235 See Profile

• Location: Winter Park,Orange,FL
Good "Faster speeds than Brighthouse for the lower tier. ATT: 13/1.4 BH:10/1 "
Bad "Blocked access to a properly hosted website of mine nationwide, losing me work."
Overall "They don't even know why fuav.com is blocked. So far two days in and they still cannot fix the problem."

I am having Brighthouse install 60 megabit this evening. Going to tell AT&T to pound sand.

Overall the u-verse is a significant upgrade compared to regular DSL. And for a slightly lower cost, you get about 13mb down, 1.3 or so up.

AT&T uses Yahoo servers and FPL fiber here in Florida.
They are cobbled together. I have had a problem with a website for over two weeks. They have been working on it for two days. Somehow fuav.com is blocked in their DNS. There have no idea why and have been unable to resolve. The site is up and running on 3G and cable. But on ATT, no go. Using RDP I showed some ATT techs that indeed it is on their end. They are full of derp.

Comments:
DnEtDe6c

join:2007-02-02
Athens, GA

It could be worse

While I'm sorry to hear about your problems, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed your delightful mix of old-school and modern insults.

Although it may be of small consolation, be grateful that you have another option. We're not all so fortunate.

Review by CHPMustang See Profile

• Location: Richardson,Dallas,TX
Good "Uptime is 100%, minimum ping times, knowledgable linemen and cable techs."
Bad "Nothing."
Overall "Long as you're within loop length of the VRAD the service performs as expected."

With the Uverse service we only ordered it with Internet only as we have video services provided thru Dish.

We ordered the 12mb service as we have several PC's and a couple PS3 consoles, the amount of bandwidth available for the workload is more than enough.

The ordering process went well, an inside tech was dispatched for the installation but had trouble determining the loop length so a second tech(a lineman) was dispatched and quickly resolved the loop length issue due to several splices was discovered between our POE and the VRAD.

We have the 2 wire 3801HGV Gateway installed, no issues with it but it is the second one due to the original was damaged by a lightning strike in April 2012.

The Good of it all is the helpful Tier 2 people at the Richardson Center and the experienced technicians in our area of Dallas, they are the ones in the field that facilitate the service to work great!