AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by kramsde2 See Profile

• Location: Toledo,Lucas,OH
Good "Good quality service"
Bad "Packet loss during hard rain storms"
Overall "Great product for less money"

AT&T U-verse truly is a good product. I had a hard time getting U-verse as AT&T's online database and customer service reps told me U-verse was not available at my home YET lots of my neighbors had it and a AT&T sales rep came to my house wanting me to go with the product. At that time, I was not interested in switching. I was extremely hesitant switching from cable to U-verse however U-verse has proved to be a stable and reliable product.

PHONE- When switching from my old cable provider to U-verse, getting my phone number ported from the old company to u-verse was nothing less than a nightmare. It took over 2 months to get my number ported over. I called AT&T and would get the answer that my old provider did not release the number. I'd call the cable company to figure out why they did not release the number and would get the answer that they did release the number and U-verse did not pick it up yet. Nevertheless, this went on for WEEKS! I got to the point where I'd do a three a way call between Buckeye (old provider) and AT&T U-verse to get this problem figured out. When that didn't work, I contacted the FCC to get the problem resolved. Before I did get the FCC's final letter, AT&T did port over my number. In this case, I don't believe it was Buckeye's fault. The FCC report to me found that AT&T continued to cancel my order to port my number over. Why...I'll never know. After getting my number ported over, I had an issue that anyone calling me from a Buckeye phone (whom was my old provider) could not call my U-verse phone although I could call a Buckeye phone without any problems. I called Buckeye and they fixed the issue. So total time getting my old number back was about 2 1/2 months.

TV- I truly think this is the best part of U-verse. While I do NOT subscribe to their HD service, the picture & sound is very clear and crisp. Whole home DVR works great too. I find it much easier to schedule my shows from my phone/computer opposed to the TV. I find scheduling on the TV's much more cumbersome. An issue I've noticed (not often - once in a blue moon) is that my TVs will freeze during very heavy rain storms. I'm not sure if this is because there is a leak in the line someplace or what. I had AT&T come out and they told me everything was perfect with my setup and no issues were found yet customer service found issues on my lines. I've not pressed the issue because it doesn't hardly happen.

INTERNET- Works great and I get the speed that I pay for (sometimes a bit more too). I did get faster speeds with cable, but in my neighborhood 18Mbps is the max AT&T offers.

Overall - I'm very happy with AT&T and I don't regret switching. It's a great product for the price!

member for 213 days, 42 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by rab See Profile

• Location: Saratoga,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Fast (compared to old AT&T DSL), very reliable"
Bad "AT&T billing/customer support is nightmarish"
Overall "Happy, once they figured out how to bill (3 months of crap)"

The service is great. Fast and reliable.
Installation was pretty painless.
The customer support is as bad as Comcast, maybe worse. Mixing wireless, UVerse and "home phone" services and billing, these guys don't know how to route a call. Add to that the geographic differences ("Oh, you're in California -- I'll transfer you...") and you'll never speak to someone who knows anything.
Billing is able to adjust your bill UNTIL you reach a $100 adjustment, at which point, no one at AT&T has authority. So, never have them owe you $100 or more.
Now that I pay what I contracted for, I'm happy.

Comments:

rock122

@108.220.141.x

DVR box

The DVR stops working at times. This very very annoying. When the technician come to repair it, he can never fine anything wrong. All the other services work well except of course the TV service.

Jrstobbe1058

@99.175.90.x

Re: DVR box

Is your DVR wired via coax or Ethernet? I'm betting it's coax. If possible use a Ethernet wire. Needs to be connected to the RG/modem (yellow port)

Review by psiu See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Oakland,MI
Good "We have internet"
Bad "Slow on nights and weekends"
Overall "it sort of works"

Moved to a new city and options were limited, ended up with Uverse. We signed up for a 12 month package, internet only, $55/month at 24 download, and they are evasive on the upload. Appears to be 2 mbps upload. Pretty disappointing after years on Comcast.

Install tech was competent and got everything up and running. There was an issue where somewhere in the process a login name was spelled wrong, took a couple weeks to resolve in the great grinding maw of AT&T.

Had to pay for equipment, had to pay for install (no self install option, despite the fact I am an IBEW LU 58 LE Installer/Tech -- I was like, "I AM A PROFESSIONAL", but alas, the website ignored my pleas).

It appears to bog down in the evenings and weekends, which is hilarious since it was always the selling point of the phone companies that they offered a direct connection and the cable company shared their hookups...evidently the cable co's didn't have their back end running on a bunch of dial up modems though.

I hate our bought and paid for American telecom infrastructure setup, no choices, no speed...ugh. It was like choosing between a free colonoscopy with 2 ingrown nail removals or a year long subscription to catheter insertion services with bonus blood draws every time. WHERE DO I SIGN UP?!?

member for 11 years, 2932 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jrstobbe82 See Profile

• Location: Oak Creek,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Everything... Internet speeds & picture quality"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Great value for a great service!"

Uverse has been great. I had it before at my last apt & had no issues, got it installed at my new apt. 2 months ago and it has been working great. My internet speeds are always in the tier I am paying for, I am able to stream online content & play online gaming without any issues. No complaints here, install was professional. And for some reason my hd picture seems sharper than what I was previously getting from twc. I have the u300 package with hd programming and 2 STB's(1 wireless). What I love is the fact that I can log into ATT's website or directly into my nvg589 RG and run diagnostic tests when ever I want. The price is fair, I'd rather pay a few extra bucks for a better product.

member for 292 days, 2 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Terrible

@104.15.50.x

Uverse

The absolute WORST customer service! You are promised one thing when you first get it then magically your promotions end before there supposed to and your bill raises an unreasonable amount. It took me 4 phone calls and I talked with 6 different people to get them to correct their mistake. I am extremely disappointed and wish I would have stayed with direct tv.

Review by CaliNine See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Customer service, and technical support"
Bad "High ping, internet doesn't drop just shows 30-47 mbps at times"
Overall "If you want reliable internet and good customer support, at&t."

Great customer service and technical support overall. Only issues I have is a high ping I had 10-14 ping with my previous provider now I have around 25-30 which to some is not a big deal but I mostly use my internet for gaming. Also my XboX One doesn't receive the full speeds which on speedtest it shows 47mbps I get about 20-30mbps with a 140 ping on previous provider I get around 20-30 ping and the full speeds I paid for. Both are connected through ethernet cable. Technician is coming today hopefully fixes the issue.

UPDATE: I decided to cancel the service they did offer me 1 year contract $47 for 45mbps but I don't want to be tied down to a contract.

Comments:

Review by BellaStorm See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Fast Activation"
Bad "WIFI on NVG510"

Ordered service, and 3 days later it was working. Modem shipped the day after I ordered service, and arrived on the day service was activated.

They sent a NVG510, in which the WIFI that was built in didn't work good (3Mbps on my 12Mbps connection). However it was easy enough to set-up and use my own WIFI router.

So far, our new service works great.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update: Cancelled service.

member for 297 days, 201 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by SteelersFan See Profile

• Location: Rockwall,Rockwall,TX
Good "Faster than DSL; easy installation/configuration; great price"
Bad "Router Wireless b/g only"
Overall "Best price and deal for the area"

UPDATE (06/14): Running an ASUS RTN-66U as a bridge to the Motorla NVG589 (Uverse supplied). Followed the instructions on the AT&T message boards and everything seems to be working smoothly. Now on the best speed plan and getting about 47 Mbps down and 5 Mbps. Very little downtime on the network. Pleased with the results.

UPDATE (pre 2014): So for the past 4 months (from April to August) my UVerse Internet would go down periodically. I must have called AT&T support about 8 times and had a tech out at least four. The last technician did something the others didn't. He made sure I had a homerun going from my outside box to the wall with my router. Fortunately for me, I had a patch panel for my phone line in my master closet which made it easy for him to identify which specific line it was without needing to go into my attic. Once he hooked it up (about 10 minutes later), I was basically error free on the line. I also was able to upgrade my speed from 12Mbps down to now 24Mbps down.

It seems to be working good now albeit the other morning I woke up and had a connection issue again for about 2 minutes. Also, I have a Netgear b/g/n wireless router piggybacked to the 2Wire router and for some reason my older laptop has trouble maintaining a sync with the Netgear router now which it never did before. I worked around the problem by just activating both wireless routers, but did find that odd. Other than those two issues, service has been good. Speakeasy speed tests show maximum thoroughput and I was greatly impressed and appreciative of the service provided by the AT&T technician until the problem was solved.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Long time DSL user averaging about 3Mbps down. Decided to take the plunge and upgrade to U-Verse Internet and Voice. They were running a special for the Internet with about $12 off each month. Combined with Voice I was able to cut my Internet and phone bill in half for 4 times the Internet speed and many more voice options.

I opted for the self-install which basically is AT&T mailing me out (it took two weeks) a 2Wire 3600hgv router/modem, some cables and a fairly large (and expensive looking) power back-up device. The back-up device is intended to support my Voice services if the power ever fails, but it looks big and powerful enough to probably maintain power to the router for a limited time. I was saddened when I discovered the 2Wire didn't have wireless "n" as I just purchased a Netgear router/modem which gave me that functionality. After some research, I later decided to set-up the Netgear as a WAP to maintain my "n" speed behind the 2Wire router. Works good albeit I lose a lot of the Netgear router options.

On the day of install, I received a call from an local AT&T technician who said everything was hooked up and ready to go. I didn't even need to be home! That night I plugged in the 2Wire. The configuration was very similar to my DSL service with the exception that, because I now had Voice, I had to plug a phone (not DSL line) directly into the 3600 as well as the DSL line. I plugged my laptop directly into the 2Wire and went through the set-up.

The set-up was very detail oriented. Probably too much so as I have a pretty decent technical background. When I got to the part in the set-up where I was required to activate Voice, nothing worked. I had no dial tone on my phone. I called the support line and spoke to someone who went through the typical questions and finally informed me that my Voice activation date wasn't until the following day. I found this odd since all of my activation paperwork indicated that day as the activation date. I was a little disheartened because the technician wasn't 100% sure. Wouldn't you know it though, my Voice was up-and-running the following day.

In sum, I can't believe I waited this long to try U-Verse Internet. The speeds are about 4 times faster than what I was getting with DSL and with the exception of no built-in wireless "n", there really isn't much to complain about. The features that Voice gave me with the ability to check calls on the Internet and more make this a complete package that I would recommend.

Comments:

Terry M

@165.207.0.x

u-verse junk

The U-verse system as a whole is junk. More down than in service. The third tear (BEST) service person could not fix it. More that twenty times they were called. They claimed the lines were falty. ATT lines same company, what a joke.

Review by jcar See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Fast speeds as advertised, reliable / stable"

I've always heard that AT&T's U-verse internet was horrible. I was biased I must admit against this service but am pleasantly surprised now that I have it. I just purchased a new home and due to the new neighborhood we don't have cable in the area so this is the only service I could get. The installer came out and even though it was about 150 degrees in my attic pulled CAT6 cable to my router location and the cable box connection. Once the service was up and running I immediately did a speed test online and got just about the same speed if not better than a cable modem. I initially had a 51 Mbps download and 6 upload. The stable numbers now are around 49 download and 6 upload so I am currently very happy.

Comments:

Marinla

@72.190.99.x

Installation

AT&T schedule my installation I stay in home waiting to find out that they had cancel the installation, didn't give a reason or who canceled, I am trying to have another date and they are no help. Really socks be on their hands and are unable to do anything I will look for another provider, AT&T lost my business.

Review by HexMen See Profile

• Location: Kennesaw,Cobb,GA
Good "When all is working right it is fast."
Bad "The NVG589 doesn't do "Bridge Mode" well. And DNS is uneditable. High $$$/Mb"
Overall "I've had it 6 months, promotions have run out, my costs per/month will go up next month. Not sure if I will keep or replace."

My battle to get U-verse was long and arduous, and spanned a 3-year period.

Being a gamer and media streamer, the amount of available bandwidth, the quality of the service (lowest jitter and latency) usually meant "life or death" in games; and smooth HD playback and buffering vs under-buffered, low-res, and a stuttering playback. Over the years with Bellsouth and then AT&T, I progressed through dial-up, to DSL, to Cable (Comcast), then back to DSL for my data solution. DSL was at least consistent bandwidth in my neighborhood, compared to the oversaturation my neighborhood experienced during peak hours when I had Cable. It seemed the only truly viable solution was to pray for FTTN / Curb, or U-verse to come my way.

With massive road construction on the main road feeding my neighborhood, my copper line was cut 3 separate times by backhoe. After the first cut, I got to know a number of the Bellsouth / AT&T Techs, and was lucky enough to make contact with an Engineer. We discovered quickly that the drawings "on file" were very outdated (still showing my house as a plot ... after 7 years of living here), and it took a bit of searching to find the current outside-plant as-builts that showed the correct copper circuit builds in my area. By the end of the 3rd cut and interruption in my phone and DSL service, I had the engineer on speed-dial and worked closely with him and his local dispatch superintendent providing as much history and troubleshooting information to the techs as possible.

During that multi-year period of coordination, an opportunity arose such that U-verse expansion would be possible into my area to coincide with the road project. So working frequently with that engineer, he was able to -- with no small amount of effort and follow-up -- make the necessary updates to drawings and data-bases, and in turn, was finally able to start listing and updating addresses available for conversion to U-verse circuits from regular AT&T circuits. Not to surprisingly, I discovered that if your house isn't "on the map", you can never be eligible for upgrades.

So, the months passed. I watched a new Fiber Node go up, then new copper switches installed, then new copper cables down major streets, and finally a new copper box at the entrance of my neighborhood. Six months later I still had not been notified of availability so I started following up again. After multiple calls and a few weeks time, we discovered things had been put on hold and no restart date planned... what!!?? "But they have all the infrastructure already installed!" I complained... they responded with "..it is?" .. more coordination and research to find out none of the street project work had been updated. So, once again, and after more pushing and shoving, all the updates were done and I finally got the long awaited email notification "U-verse is now available in your area". Whew... but... the battle wasn't over yet.

I schedule a tech to come for 5 days out. When he shows up, for what ever reason, he didn't receive any of the updated circuit drawings, and the ones he had access to online were also not the new ones... *sigh* .. after an hour or so of telling him what I knew about everything, he was put in touch with someone who was able to help him update his work-ticket. He then tells me "ok, looks like the new increase bandwidth MAX will be 16Mb" .. o.O .. seriously? .. After playing twenty questions with him, I finally discover he is going to try and build the circuits back to my existing "old" switch, not using any of the new infrastructure. I put the brakes on the order, call the guy in engineering, and hand my cell to the tech after I confirmed that "using the old infrastructure" was not the plan. When the tech completed the call, he notifies me that a new work order will need to be done and that he wont be able to do the installation that day.

So, another appointment is scheduled for another 5 days out. That date arrives, there is again some confusion, but after a 10-minute guided tour of "where everything should be" the tech and I are finally on the same page. He does the circuit connections, does some testing, and when he turns it up .. BAM! .. 125Mbs available. Now THAT's what I'm talking about! But then he says, but the max I can give you is 45Mb down and 5Mb up.. *the past three years flies through my mind* .. ppftt.. ok, I'll take "that" then.

The installer couldn't figure out how to configure for me to be able to use my existing Wireless switch (i.e. turn the Motorola RG into a Bridge), so he left me with that to do and I used some online resources (this site and the AT&T forums) for putting the NVG589 "as close as possible" into Bridge Mode. By the end of the next day I was up and running. I still had concerns about a potential double NAT, but gave up on that after a 2+ hour, Technical Support call through Tiers 1 and 2, and not talking to anyone who could even figure out how "what I currently had working" even worked.. let alone see if "all was well".

So, here I sit, six months after installation with a new, yet very weird, problem. But, that's a tale to be found in a different forum. Up until now however, it has worked as it should.

Comments:

Review by Ziemowit See Profile

• Location: Gilberts,Kane,IL
Good "Hardly any outages. The internet gateway/modem is great."
Bad "45 mbps connection seems a bit laggy. Very expansive for what you're getting. Company doesn't negotiate at all."
Overall "There are only two choices for this area and the alternative is even more expansive and less reliable."

I have a 45 mbps business internet only package. The price is $120/month.

The installation was good but an hour after the person left, the internet went down and I had to wait few days for someone to come out. Since then it's been very reliable.

Currently I have a Motorola VDSL2 gateway. It works by using two lines at the same time to increase the bandwidth. Strangely enough during bandwidth tests the connection goes upto 24 mbps and then after a little-bit, jumps to full 45 mbps. I originally started with slower service, but upgrading didn't actually improve latency, it actually got worse... perhaps because use of two lines?

My only major issue is that this service in areas closer to Chicago is a lot less. 50 mbps business internet costs $55/month. This is most likely due to the fact that there is nearly no competition. MediaCom, the cable company in my area, charges $149 for the same type of service and is super unreliable. So naturally you have no choice but stay with ATT.