AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by CHPMustang See Profile

• Location: Richardson,Dallas,TX
Good "Uptime is 100%, minimum ping times, knowledgable linemen and cable techs."
Bad "Nothing."
Overall "Long as you're within loop length of the VRAD the service performs as expected."

With the Uverse service we only ordered it with Internet only as we have video services provided thru Dish.

We ordered the 12mb service as we have several PC's and a couple PS3 consoles, the amount of bandwidth available for the workload is more than enough.

The ordering process went well, an inside tech was dispatched for the installation but had trouble determining the loop length so a second tech(a lineman) was dispatched and quickly resolved the loop length issue due to several splices was discovered between our POE and the VRAD.

We have the 2 wire 3801HGV Gateway installed, no issues with it but it is the second one due to the original was damaged by a lightning strike in April 2012.

The Good of it all is the helpful Tier 2 people at the Richardson Center and the experienced technicians in our area of Dallas, they are the ones in the field that facilitate the service to work great!

Comments:

Review by tellyguy See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis,MO
Good "total quality in all 3 areas- tv, internet, phone"
Bad "tech support can be a crap shoot"
Overall "it's ok if you want decent service, but watch for the pricing"

It has been around a month and so far, few problems. Internet has been NO prob and Phone hasn't had any issues. Knock on wood. I can tell you that I did get a good deal, since I went through a local manager to get signed up who was going through the neighborhood.

Comments:

Review by CUBS_FAN See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Having a designated line with solid and steady latency is sight for sore eyes after using Comcast for the past 10 years"
Bad "Nothing yet. Only negative is that my package is rated at 24Mbps download and speed test's show 21 to 22 best. No biggie"
Overall "Smooth connection even while streaming Netflix on the iPad and using 2 wireless connected laptops "

·magicjack.com
·Vonage
Amazing that I placed the order early Friday morning (10/4/2013) at around 1am and had an install date of the next day Saturday morning. Install went smooth and the tech found some "bridging" issue on the line limiting my upload speeds. The installer placed a call to have it fixed. By the time he finished the install the other guy arrived to fix the bridging issue. My upload speeds average at round 2.90Mbps. That's almost exactly what's advertised. 12 month intro at $11.05 off @ 54.95 and $66 thereafter.

Comments:

Review by cb14 See Profile

• Location: Miami Beach,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "It works most of the time"
Bad "Expensive ,unpleasant to deal with ATT, deceptive, chaotic billing, customer service miserable"
Overall "We do not have a real choice."

It is difficult to separate a review of ATT U-verse from ATT. And the "new" ATT is a disaster. ( "New" because it has nothing to do with the old ATT and is rather Southwestern Bell/SBC in sheep's clothes.)

Advertisement is deceptive. You cannot rely on anything the sales people tell you.

Reliability is relatively good- we just had a 4 days outage with near zero communication from the company.

Customer service and billing are horrible. Just to get to the customer service through their terrible phone system is a challenge. Technical support is somewhat better, but if you have any problem with the gateway for which is no documentation available and they have the feeling that you are using other companies' VOIP they will not tell you anything. The gateway id proprietary, you have no choice in price or brand. It seems to have some software bugs and sometimes spontaneously resets and gives wrong readings.It is VOIP hostile tom the extend that you have to keep it DMZ with the result that you cannot connect more than one VOIP adapter.Or get an additional router and connect it to it when DMZ and use it only as a pass through and space heater( 51W consumption in stand by mode)

from the promised 18mbit down I get about 12 down and 1.5 up. The price is $ 48/ month, but that's a special and will go up to $ 56.-

For comparison : A number of European ISP provide far cheaper and better service.

I am not a happy customer but the only alternative is Comcast with it's insane pricing and miserable service for residential customers. My color bar ratings are much more optimistic than they would be if we had a real choice.

Comments:

David

Can we help?

Can we assist you with this issue?

cb14

·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
David, an AT&T direct tech. We have an AT&T direct forum here.

»AT&T Direct

you can send me an IM with this link: »Site FAQ »IMs and Privacy

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

Re: Can we help?

I actually tried to send you a message but I have not received any reply yet.

Granite City, IL
via IM or email? tried looking for cb14 in among the 221 messages cleaned out and it wasn't in there.

if it was in email can you resend it?

Review by joebob2000 See Profile

• Location: Hilliard,Franklin,OH
Good "Very reliable in my area, had no sustained outages and no hardware failures in 5 years"
Bad "Expensive service, low quality bundled wifi router"
Overall "Good choice for reliable connection, but if really high speed is needed be prepared to pay a lot"

·WOW Internet and..
I had Uverse for about 5 years, since right around when it was first offered in the area. In that time, the connection quality has been flawless. For $48 a month you only get 6/1 service though, which is painfully slow/costly compared to cable providers. Netflix streaming during peak times was poor (possibly due to the Netflix side more so than the ATT side), and aside from that the day to day usage was very fast and always reliable. The RG modem/router was reliable but antiquated, and there are no options to BYO modem or even downgrade it and BYO router (you can install your own router, but you need to go to lengths to deactivate the features on theirs and set it up for pass-through in order for it to all work right).

Comments:

HollyN

@sbcglobal.net

Service difficult - Quality and speed for price is terrible

I've had u-verse for several years and every year the speed and quality of the service has gotten worse. When trying to get anyone on the phone to investigate you get the lovely menu options and get stuck in some stupid loop. When you finally get in cue to actually talk to someone they continue to pass you back and forth to people that cannot or will not help you.
When you get technical support on the line they say they are going to call you back and then they never do. I am already shopping for a new internet service provider. Should not have to pay $50 a month for crap.

Review by mbellaire See Profile

• Location: Canton,Wayne,MI
Good "Stable line"
Bad "Need to call periodically to get a better price"
Overall "Very reliable internet connection"

Had an AT&T DSL line for many years, and finally switched to AT&T U-verse a few years ago. I am internet only and so far the line reliability has been spectacular, with no slowdowns during the evening.

The move from DSL to U-verse was painless, AT&T sent a 2Wire 3600 (self-install) and I connected it on the appointed day and everything came up fine (this device isn't well regarded, but so far mine has been working just fine).

Comments:

Review by owine See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Stable connection, easy install process"
Bad "Poor speed choices"
Overall "It's the best option in my building, but it could be way worse"

I live in a high rise condo building so I had the following options for wired internet service in the building:

1) "Cable" internet from the DirecTV reseller contracted with the building ($50 for 6MB down)
2) AT&T U-verse ADSL2+ (video is exclusive to the DirecTV reseller so no VDSL)

It was a no-brainer choice. Coming from RCN, it was an adjustment to have only 18MB down instead of 75MB, but for my usage (moderate streaming and downloading) it has been passable.

The installer did a very thorough job and actually corrected some incorrect wiring in the apartment. I have no complaints at all about the connection reliability. I do wish, however, that all phone jacks in my apartment were live for U-verse instead of just the initial one. Luckily, the data cable is long enough that I can move the modem to a more convenient location. I run my own router inside of the AT&T RG (NVG510) with IP-Passthrough and it works flawlessly. I have just configured router to use AT&T native 6rd as well for IPv6 service.

Overall, I would have never thought I'd be a satisfied AT&T customer, but I am. Hopefully, higher speeds will be available at some point.

member for 11.6 years, 2515 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sloe See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "no longer dealing with Time Warner Cable. HD Picture is much better, and more HD streams to record."
Bad "NVG589 modem is rebooting at random times, usually when TV is being watched by people who think it's my fault and I get yelled @"
Overall "Cheaper than cable, better picture quality, not quite fast enough"

·ooma
Was tired of the escalating costs of Time Warner and jumped back into the fold of AT&T when we got the flyer saying I could get 18/1.5 HSI and U200 TV with HD-DVR for under $100/mo. The biggest hurdle so far is the phone, but the only thing that is AT&T's fault is that they wouldn't honor the price that was quoted in the brochure. The other issues are with TWC and Ooma.

The install day got pushed back twice, a total of three weeks past the original install date. Turns out they had to have linemen out here twice to fix the lines before the premise tech could hook me up. The PT was a subcontractor for AT&T, and knew his stuff. He was very courteous and took the time to explain things I was fuzzy on - he understood that I was a network engineer myself, and was able to speak on my level.

As mentioned, I have the 18/1.5 tier, Power Plus I think. I have an NVG589 modem, and a VIP1215 STB. The modem is flaky, the STB is worlds ahead of the Samsung from TWC that it replaced.

I'm still currently fighting some line problems (which the fellas here in the Direct forum haven't addressed yet) which could be the problem with the modem. Once the lines can get cleaned up, I should be good to go for 24/3, even though I'm 4300' from the VRAD.

Comments:

David

I sent this on

As of this message my contacts in san antonio, tx have it. They should be in touch no later than 24-72 hours. They may be in touch by end of business today, or no later than monday at most.

Review by dcolanduno See Profile

• Location: Roswell,Fulton,GA
Good "Solid connection, gives speeds quite close to advertised."
Overall "We upgraded from the old AT&T DSL to U-Verse DSL, the price and speed difference were worth it."

When we added a couple new mobile phones to our old Fast Access DSL line, the person helping us at the AT&T store let us know that our old DSL connection we had been using for almost 10 years was using a package which was old, and expensive compared to the newer, faster U-Verse DSL system.

She was correct.

Comments:

Review by mshoemaker3 See Profile

• Location: Lees Summit,Jackson,MO
Good "Crystal Clear, Set up DVR Recording remotely online or using my iPhone!! MANY HD channels...keeps getting better!!!"
Overall "Considering U-Verse is still a work in progress...AWESOME!!"

Ordered U-verse u400 w Elite HSI

No Problems with installation, very professional and courteous technicians.

Internet speed is nearly the advertised speed, up and down...

Have upgraded to U450 and MaxPlus and still VERY HAPPY with U-Verse!

I have always wondered how many of the issues posted here are self inflicted...