AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by mshemwell See Profile

• Location: Magnolia,Montgomery,TX
Good "Fast Internet Connection"
Bad "NVG589 Wifi Connection"
Overall "Great service for the price"

You have to switch to another accesspoint for WiFi I was getting slower speeds with the NVG589 and support could not get it to improve. Bought a Netgear 6250 Router and hooked it up as a Access Point plugged into the back of the NVG589 and instantly have awesome speeds wifi throughout the whole house.

Comments:

Anon01234

@166.205.68.x

Terrible AT&T

Terrible!!! My internet goes out about every 10 minutes! It's been doing this for about a month now. I've replaced the modem and it still does it! AT&T internet is horrible!

Review by a16659235 See Profile

• Location: Dixon,Solano,CA
Good "Upload speed is near advertised "
Bad "Download speed, price, equipment failure, outages, "
Overall "I am looking at cable but have reservations"

Advertised price was $39.95 x12 mos for 18Mbps down/1.5Mbps up - was a few years ago now but service and consistent line quality is spotty at best due to the way our U-Verse is installed.
Cannot remember the initial installation but the technician was hyper friendly and was quick about the installation. However the equipment failed several times over the past few years and have had two converter boxes and routers replaced. No apparent reason for the failure. Poor quality 2Wire products.
Manufacturer: Pace Plc
Model: i3812V
U-Verse failed at every Super Bowl day, and would be out of service until the next day, failed equipment, outages for no reason, horrible download speeds

U-Verse doesn't live up to it's advertised speeds.

Comments:

Review by montana3087 See Profile

• Location: Walnut Creek,Contra Costa,CA
Good "Better speeds than DSL"
Bad "Dropped Connection all the time"
Overall "Need more consistate connection."

Speed is okay, but would like faster for the cost.
Connection problems, replaced the wi-fi but still lots of dropped connections from the "modem."

Comments:

mtadruss

@72.52.96.x

Worst experience with Customer Service

I started my service with ATT U Verse for TV, Internet and Phone Services, and the second day they disconnected the three service for unknown reason. I kept calling for 4 days no one could have helped me or explained to me the real situation. My family stayed for 5 days without TV, Internet or Phone. Can anyone imagine that!!! I canceled my service withe AT&T.

Review by eDarryl See Profile

• Location: Pickerington,Fairfield,OH
Good "Good customer service."
Bad "Poor connection, very high latency."
Overall "Sorry AT&T, you lost me."

Why I subscribed to AT&T U-verse back in 2009 was because I wanted to consolidate my AT&T LandLine phone and AT&T DSL. U-Verse seemed to be the logical choice. I use DirecTV for television. Customer Service was very helpful and polite. They had very flexible times to schedule a tech to come and install.

Within a week, the tech came and installed TWO boxes inside my house and hung a big ass router outside my house, my phone and internet were converted to U-Verse. YAY! .. right?

First, the advertised speed was never consistent with my subscribed package. I had the 18d/2u internet package. SpeedTest.net always showed my speed as 12d/1u. Occasionally getting bumped to 15-18d but never, ever got more than 1.5d. And latency was always 50-90ms. That's unacceptable network latency. This was pretty much my connection over my 5 years with AT&T. That latency really screwed with Netflix picture clarity.

U-Verse caps at 250GB/month!

Now, the MAIN reason I left AT&T. A week after the tech left, a thunder storm came through. U-Verse modem disconnected and stayed that way until the electrical storm passed. I immediately thought "grounding issue". I went outside and verified that the router they hung on the side of my house was indeed grounded. I called AT&T and they ran some line tests and sent another tech out to verify grounding as well. Verified...all was grounded properly. The tech did replace my two boxes in my house (modem and that battery thing). Next storm that came through, I was working from home. It knocked me offline. U-Verse modem was disconnected again. I ignored it, waited for the storm to pass and then forgot about it. This went on for a few years. Finally I was online working from home doing an important presentation, storm came through and offline I went. I called AT&T first chance I got to express my frustration and insisted this issue be corrected immediately. Over that summer I had called AT&T three more times for this issue. Every tech came out, checked the wires, connections, made a mess of my wire cabinet. Still, storm came through and offline I went. Final straw.

I had been thinking about cutting the landline cord anyway. Therefore, I canceled U-Verse (both phone and internet).

I switched to Time Warner Cable, just for Internet. I got their 30d/5u package and get a strong, solid, consistent connection of 35d/6u with 15ms latency. Netflix is crystal clear HD now. Before I review TWC, let's see how TWC cable internet handles a thunderstorm and if their connection and signal stays strong and consistent as it is now.

Comments:

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

well sorry to see you go...

Thanks for trying us, and better luck next time

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX

Typical of xDSL...

Disconnects during thunderstorms are typical of xDSL technologies, no matter how strong the signal is or how close you are to the DSLAM or VRAD during thunderstorms the modem/gateway will take so many errors that it will reboot.

Cable is also vulnerable but it can handle much more and probably will not disconnect. I found a very informative site here.

»adslm.dohrenburg.net/troubleshoo···ence.php

»adslm.dohrenburg.net/
tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
·T-Mobile US

Re: Typical of xDSL...

Your link describes aDSL interference at 40 miles.. With my >12kft CO aDSL loop I could detect them out to 250 miles, within 60 miles aDSL was almost useless.

Some aDSL modems behaved very badly with noise.. Alcatel/Lucent I.E.. exceeding some limited noise threshold triggering a 10 second retraining operation, every 60 seconds.

Encapsulation protocols like PPPoE made the lost packets even worse..

For a while, I was an alpha site for DirectvDSL improving their retraining algs.

But then the powers that be killed off the aDSL division after the blocked Dish merger, and cut loose 1/4 million aDSL customers.

Review by u35828 See Profile

• Location: Evanston,Cook,IL
Good "Easy to Transition to U-Verse Express from Elite"
Bad "Service Unreliable, distance from CO a problem"
Overall "Switch if you can"

I had some connection reliability issues with the U-Verse Elite speed tier (6M/768K); it was recommended that I downgrade to Express (1.5M/384K) due to issues associated with distance from the CO. Hell, they might as well be using copper runs from the Coolidge administration, given my building's age. My neighborhood doesn't have one of those fancy AT&T roadside cabinets.

The service at the new tier is not at all reliable; I've had to reboot the Motorola ADSL2+ modem on numerous occasions whenever there's a connection failure in diagnostics. As for power being an issue; the Motorola device gets its power from an APC Smart-UPS 1500.

Comments:

upset

@70.194.193.x

more speed on my Internet

Simple job turned into a three day disaster. Still have no cable or internet. No one has the same answer to the problem. Tech. Comes out and nothing is resolved. Two so far.

Review by TNBronco See Profile

• Location: Memphis,Shelby,TN
Good "All of it!"
Bad "Haven't seen anything yet"
Overall "Great service, no hiccups, wish I had switched sooner"

U450, HD, 12meg internet, VoIP.

Ordered online, process was pretty simple. Point and click, verified the install date and time. Was given an install window for the morning of 04/25, between 9AM and 11AM. Got a call from the technician named "Marcus" at 8:50 to tell me he was on his way. Installer was VERY polite, and even put slip covers over his shoes before he came in. (which I told him not to worry about, but he insisted) He did some testing on the lines at the back of the house and went down the street to wire up the service, he had my new modem (Motorola NVG589) up and my internet service running within an hour of showing up. I only have 2 TVs in the house, but I signed up for 3 (so I could justify getting a new TV for my office). He put the DVR (Cisco) in my office and setup 2 wireless boxes for my other TVs, one of which is on the top floor of my split level home, with the office on the bottom floor, so I was a little worried that it would be a problem, but he swore it would work with no issues, and so far, he has been right.

Overall I've been really impressed. I had DirecTV and BellSouth DSL for the last 10 years, both of which worked just fine (but my DSL was limited to 1.5mbps, uggg!) I've seen some reviews that said the picture quality on at&T wasn't as good as Direct, but I don't see that. I've got just as good a picture on everything, my wife swears the HD is better, but I can't say either way. My internet speed is noticeably faster, and the installer did a great job of walking the whole house measuring the wifi strength, and he even set up my old linksys wireless router as an AP to boost the signal on the other end of the house. Internet streams netflix in HD with no issue and no buffering, even when my daughter gets on the wifi with her laptop.

I'll update this again after I've had it 30 days to see what, if any issues come up, but so far, I'm impressed.

Comments:

Review by itsbry See Profile

• Location: Fernandina Beach,Nassau,FL
Good "Solid, consistent internet connection; crystal clear HDTV, no installation issues."
Bad "Porting number tricky, alternate number for a week; unexpected"
Overall "Beats the snot out of Comcast at the same cost with DVR to boot!"

We needed broadband internet service, so it was Comcast or DSL... I haven't had any gaming issues with the 3MB download speed compared to Comcast's 15MB (when it was up). With 6 months free internet, we're out $111 per month, jumping to just under $150 after the promo. That is still cheaper than what we paid for TV and internet with Comcast, and then adding the phone bill.

We actually made the decision to order just before Christmas, and had everything finalized by the New Year (except the phone number; it was still being ported... took an extra week). The install tech came out on the 26th. Saturday, the 26th. I was pretty shocked that they were even working, and told the tech as much!

We have a 2wire modem/router so I don't need my D-Link router anymore. I do wish that I could figure out how to change the key, though. We got a 10-digit number that I will have to write down for guests when they want to log in to the network. If that's our biggest issue, I'm in pretty good shape.

Screw Comcast. They won't get my business again.

July 2010 update: Service is up 24/7 and the TV still looks great... I've figured out how to change the SSID and password, so things are about as good as I could ask for.

January 2012 update: No changes. the phone works, the HD TV works even better, and the internet service is up 99% of the time. We all hate the increase in fees that bump the monthly rates, but I will pay for consistently good service and I bet you would too.

April 2014 Update: Still no changes, barring a slight upward trend in cost (maybe $15 over four years). We will be cutting the land phone line to save a few dollars ($35 approx.)... I'll holler if it backfires on me.

May 2014 Update: The bundling of service makes it more expensive to cut the land line... phht. I did get a better idea of how to manipulate the promos offered and ended up with a better package for the same price. Although this doesn't accomplish my goal of reducing my bills, I suppose it's the next best thing.

Comments:

Kae

@sbcglobal.net

On Demand

The Att U Verse on demand sucks! There aren't nearly as many tv shows on it as comcast.

SaynotoATT

@166.137.101.x

Att sucks!!!

Terrible customer service. All of the reps have different information, they aren't consistent. They could careless about people and the reason why their bill was late. They have no program to get back in to good standings. This is the real world, things happen!!! They are VERY greedy and it's a total rip off. They will keep billing you even if you no longer have their services. And they pray that you don't notice the mistake. And the cable isn't all that great anyway!

I start new work on

thats y att its #1 in cust services

Fireball31

@108.72.224.x

Service call

Had a problem with my DVR , this afternoon a technician came out and did a great job. His name was Michael , very professional, thanks

Review by techguyga See Profile

• Location: Cumming,Forsyth,GA
Good "Installation techs, picture quality, internet speeds, equipment"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "Great product offering!"

I have to say that so far, I am completely impressed. I have been a DirecTV customer for 14 years and was fed up with their contract renewal policy, so I decided to try Comcast. I live in a very rural area, and these have been my only choices.

After spending 6 days, including almost 17 hours on the phone with Comcast tech support, and 4 hours standing in their local office, I was almost ready to give up and switch back to satellite. Just for fun, I checked the availability page on the U-verse site and to my surprise, it was available!

I ordered at 6:45pm on Monday, and my install appointment was set from 9-11 the very NEXT MORNING. The outside tech called 10 minutes prior to arrival (9am) and was very courteous. He pulled new cable to my house from the street (900+ feet). He verified that the signal was good and started packing up.

I then received a call from the inside tech 10 minutes prior to arrival (10am). He was also very courteous and professional. He discussed placement of the equipment, told me exactly what he was about to do, said it would take about 2.5 hours, and set about his work.

At 12:15, he was sitting down with me on the couch and explaining my package, how it operates, and all the controls and equipment. At 12:30, he was on his way, exactly as promised.

I have only had the service for a couple of days now, but internet speeds are as advertised and the TV picture quality is exquisite. I am a happy customer so far.

2wire 3801HGV RG
Cisco IPN4320 DVR
Cisco ISB7005/VEN401 Wireless receiver/AP
U300 - HD - 18/1.5Mb internet

****UPDATE - 22-October-2012****

Since service was installed a little over 2 months ago, we have had zero issues, no calls to tech support, and could not be happier with our service. Internet speeds are exactly where they should be, and picture quality is still excellent. No drops in either service. Billing is accurate each month with proper discounts applied. Still a very happy customer.

****UPDATE - 2-May-2014****

No technical issues at all since my last update. I've done a few changes to my package and lost some of my promotional pricing, so my bill is getting on the hefty side now, hence the drop in the value rating. We will hopefully be moving in the next few weeks and the new area unfortunately does not have service. I can truly say that I will miss it once we're gone. Bundle now includes U-300, Power Internet and home phone.

Comments:

guygettinguv

@spcsdns.net

anxious

Ill bet getting uverse set up tomorrow. Will post all aspects if service connection, speeds customer service and hospitality.

Review by AbstraKT See Profile

• Location: Bellflower,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Cheap. $15 Monthly for Express. $40 Regular"
Bad "Super Slow. Speed was NOT as advertised."
Overall "Get something else. Definitely not worth it, despite the good deal."

- We ordered the 1 year $15/month package. It was advertised as the "Express" Package @ 1.5 Down / 0.5 Up

- The order was pretty easy. The "agreed" activation date was 2 weeks from the date we ordered it. However, they didn't activate the service until we called them 2 weeks "after" the agreed activation date. NOT TO mention we had to pay ($50) for a tech guy to come and activate the service. (Which we were not told about)

- We were supplied the Motorola NVG510

- The only thing that was bothersome was the speed. SUPER SLOW. We were definitely not getting 1.5 Up and 0.5 Down. It was more along the lines of 300KB Up / 100KB Down EVEN THOUGH all I planned to use it for was to surf the web. FYI This package is obviously not for gaming. (tried it, failed miserably lol) Downloads were horribly slow. Didn't even bother with uploading anything.

Don't get this deal, spend the extra money to get something better, this package is NOT worth it, despite the price. At least in the area. (90706)

Comments:

thatguythere

@69.178.189.x

Those

speeds are correct. 1.5 mbit down and 0.5 mbit up comes out to around the speeds you're getting in kiloBYTES per second.

join:2014-01-06

Not even close to the correct speeds something is WRONG!

That's not correct, his speeds are way low even using the conversion. If you allow for overhead with ADSL he should still be getting about 1.1 / 0.35

@AbstraKT:

Your profile at ATT is NOT correct. Call them and have them rebuild your account profile. If that doesn't work there is a line problem somewhere, have them do a line test as well.
MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

Re: Not even close to the correct speeds something is WRONG!

1.5 megabits equates to 187.5 kilobytes, without factoring in overhead. 500 kilobits (0.5 megabits) equates to 62.5 kilobytes. It's not hard.
AbstraKT

join:2014-04-29
United State

Re: Not even close to the correct speeds something is WRONG!

"187.5 kilobytes"

Yeah, that's the average speed the downloads were at. It fluctuated a lot though.

How did you know that without even knowing if I'm near a CO or not?

davidc

@108.69.182.x

might have him post in at&t direct

this is david, I am currently logged out, might post in direct and we can check into this tomorrow if you wish.

Have a good night-

Review by cprussak See Profile

• Location: San Diego,San Diego,CA
Bad "Service seems to be deteriorating. "
Overall "Uverse vs. regular DSL is not all it was made to sound like."

Speed has slowed down from 10+ megabit download to mid 6s. Also seems to be a burst mode that rolls back fairly fast. Streaming from Amazon has become problematical.