AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by jrs8084 See Profile

• Location: Statesville,Iredell,NC
Good "Solid Connection"
Bad "Power Flickers, Gateway has to reset-lose everything"
Overall "I am glad I upgraded from BellSouth DSL"

Price is for Triple play, U300 and 18 Mb package. Everything works well, but I am also 500 feet from the VRAD.

Installer was good and took the time to install things as I like (with Gateway in the basement). He even hard wired cat5 to my office so I can use my router versus the included one.

My line is provisioned for 18 Mb/s, but I am pulling 30 (??) Tech didn't appear to think it was a provisioning issue, but more "sometimes you get more, sometimes you get less"

member for 12.4 years, 5435 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Wily_One See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Solid connection overall, good service for the few times there have been issues."
Bad "Need more HD streams supported. TV remote is annoying."

I was an early adopter, getting U-verse back in 2008.
In the very beginning TV was glitchy, but since then those issues have been worked out.

Internet has been rock solid. Over the years there have been a couple of times when the connection was dropping. Tech Support found the issues (on their end) and rectified quickly.

UPDATE:
As of Feb 2014, AT&T has increased speeds for several tiers:
»Re: Max Turbo Upload Bumped to 5 Mbps? STARTED TONIGHT!

member for 11.7 years, 4782 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Abused

Customer Abuse

Run, don't walk, from AT&T Uverse. Based on my Extensive, Extensive experience with AT&T Uverse, no will be able to get thru to customer service for any issue. Yes, the service works well, but at what costs? If you feel like carving out 30 hours on the phone, having an area manager chew you out, multiple trips to a corporate store, placed on hold, transferred to wrong numbers, given incorrect contact numbers, incorrect answers to speciic questions, ect., ect., ect., then sign up. I would pay $200 to NOT to go thru the experience of contacting AT&T uverse. It is so bad that I believe it falls under Customer Abuse. I would love to have a VP, not a store manager, customer service manager contact me. My email is kadyco123@yahoo.com On a scale of 1 to 100, the training given by AT&T is a zero. Yes, zero point zero. It's a disgrace really? I cannot express completely the frustration trying to battle like a medieval warrior and overcome hoardes of misinformation, an incompetent web site, and people AT&T has chosen NOT to properly equip with basic knowledge to servgice customers. Hey, I know what I'm talking about - more than 30 hours on the phone with AT&T Uverse trying to get simple questions answered. Don't believe me, call Uverse sales department and ask a salesperson, "What is the current Uverse promotion"? Then ask, "What are the comparable benefits of the three plans of AT&T Uverse?" Seriously, email me. Zero point Zero.

BrandiLB

-1 recommendation

Re: Customer Abuse

I completely agree. I also have one for you. We signed up with AT&T Uverse Internet on 9/13/2013. The tech came out to install everything on 9/16/13. I made sure to set us up on Auto Debit for payments and I'm not the best at monitoring, which leads into the next part. Last night around 7:00 PM CST our service was shut off. I tried to login to our online account to see what had happened (via my mobile hotspot with Verizon thank goodness) and we did not exist. I then spent the better part of an hour with Tech Support only for them to tell me that my account does not exist and call Sales Support in the morning (They're only open until 7:00 PM). Please keep in mind we have had service since 9/13 (3 months) and have received no emails stating our account was past due, or they needed a new card on file, etc. I get up and call Sales Support only to have them tell me the same thing - our account doesn't exist. They get a manager on the phone with me who is going to reactivate our account with a $100 advance. We essentially had not paid the bill in 3 months because our account didn't exist. I am absolutely fine with paying the $100 for that reason. Here's the kicker: We both work from home so as you can imagine internet connectivity is essential, of this I made AT&T aware. I was told that they would expedite the service to get it turned back on today. I called a few hours later to find out approximately when the service would be back on today and was informed that they couldn't do anything until Monday, this is Wednesday. I explained everything again and still no help. I ask you AT&T why in the world does a tech have to come out to my house to set me up when I was just set up 3 months and 5 days ago? You can certainly shut my service off with no warning remotely so why can't you reinstate it remotely. I'm with kadyco please email me and do tell at brandilb@gmail.com. This is a horrendous load of manure and explanation is due, especially since there was not a single person at AT&T who had dealt with this issue before and I seriously doubt there is any intention to fix it.
golfnow

join:2012-08-19
Knoxville, TN

1 recommendation

Re: Customer Abuse

Uverse is excellent. Have no problems reaching customer support.

Wily_One
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

"Abused", "BrandiLB",
hmmm, so I just said I've had GOOD customer service from AT&T, and you come along to tell me I "won't be able to get through." LOL.

The last issue I had the office of the president (of AT&T) was calling me to make sure I was taken care of. I got primo service; what you state is a lie.

You Anonymous posters need to go back to your Comcrap masters and report your failure.

Hey

@bhn.net

Re: Comcrap plants

What I just went through today with AT&T coaster service, I hope no one goes through! I only picked up the phone when I heard the representative start to yell at me pregnant wife! I heard him yelling from across the room! Then the battle went on for the next thirty minutes to try and cancel! Glad you were taken care of, but I will suggest people stay away!

deb127

Re: Comcrap plants

I have spent hours today trying to get my DSL turned back on. I was going to change my internet and phone to u-verse. Couldn't install the internet change due to snow and not safe to put an extension ladder up to the house.

Told it would happen last nite after the system updated or by the end of business (9 pm) Then a calling saying by morning, this morning - no internet - after talking to 7 people, it finally got turned back on.

I will be canceling my u-verse rescheduled install and keeping things as is. I'll be canceling the install mainly because i don't want digital landline phone service.

Jennifer P

Re: Customer Abuse

I agree. Horrible customer service. Issues are never resolved. Billing never correct. Have spent countless hours on the phone minth after month. Worth the extra $$ to go back to cox

AustinTX6543

AT&T Uverse

Thank you! The Internet is great! Hoping that you bring faster speeds to Del Valle,TX 78617 one day. They are advertising same price I pay for 45mbps for an even faster speed on TV. I am patiently awaiting. Thank you for you services AT&T. I play online gaming and MMO. Also downloads from iTunes. There are about Ten devices on my modems wifi/LAN. So you can see why I am waiting. I hope to get the faster speed advertised on TV at that price if possible. My connection is not coaxial it is a LAN based direct to my house. They just do not have the speed advertised on TV at my location, but you pay to receive and support them to create better services for other areas eventually. I also do not have a problem receiving customer support from them via live chat/phone. I think AT&T is an excellent service! Thank you.
martyp

join:2004-01-30
Vallejo, CA

AT&T Internet has been great

I have had AT&T for Internet since back in the day when DSL was 128mb. I now have uverse for phone and internet and it has been great.

I do have a problem with the wireless that developed late Friday night , but I am sure that I will get a new modem ordered on Monday .

I am using a net gear as a access point and using that for wireless and even when I get a new modem may want to keep it this way

Review by CmmTch See Profile

• Location: High Ridge,Jefferson,MO
Good "Ordered on 7-16 with DD of 7-20. On 7-20am it's in and works great."
Bad "Nothing bad"
Overall "Upgraded from Uverse VDSL Pro 3M to 18M. Very happy with the service"

I ordered Uverse HSI 3M Pro self install ($30 per mo, no term, employee) on Monday 7-16, internet only, not phone or TV. Was given due date of Fri 7-20, received the equipment on 7-18, a 2wire 3600HGV 4 port modem/router. The tech showed up at 10am, appointment time was 11a to 1p. He wired at the NID, had to go back to the SAI to fix cross connect from the PG to the VRAD for dial tone both services where up at 10:45am.

I asked him about the "do not connect your modem until 8:00pm on due date" verbiage in the Uverse documentation, he said your connection is up right now and you can set up the modem and register. I did that and used my existing ID to register and all is working great.

Also the tech put a VDSL2/POTS splitter on at the NID for me, I already had a CAT5 homerun for the computer.

5-19-2013 Have upgraded to 18M down (speedtest shows 17.2M down, 1.5M up »www.speedtest.net/index.php) very happy with the service. Also using the wireless from the 3600HGV for a laptop upstairs which is working great too.

2-23-14 All is still good, Uverse HSI working as advertised

member for 12 years, 1950 visits, last login: 3 days ago

Comments:

Review by o2cool8 See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Internet is stable at 12/2"
Bad "HD Picture"
Overall "If you care about picture quality, go with cable or satellite"

I had U-verse 300 with HD, home DVR, and all the premiums plus HD extra channels for about two weeks. I couldn't take it anymore, picture quality extremely bad, especially for high action programs/movies. I even had the tech look at how bad the "HD" channels looked before he left during the initial installation, and he said that's how it is. There is nothing wrong with the line or connection and I have an excellent signal. Coming from Comcast, the picture difference is night and day. I couldn't justify keeping the service any longer and canceled within the 30 day money back guarantee.

Comments:

Pissed

U-verse Customer Service

I would like to share with you the dissatisfaction I received by trying to place a call to 1-800-288-2020
on a Saturday afternoon before I lost my patience & hung up. I was put on hold for 34 minutes while the "Customer Service Representatives were assisting other callers thank you for your patience". Apparently the quality of customer service is definitely not high speed & of disservice to us all.
MoneyT8

join:2014-02-16
united state

Re: U-verse Customer Service

I recently called that number on a Saturday as well and received pretty bad service. Although it was probably with that specific rep. She told me that I had called 5 times that month and was it regarding and the same issue; I can call back as many times as I please. I'm not sure if it's like that everywhere but I will not most certainly tolerate it.

Eagle1

@sbcglobal.net
I called that number yesterday and was put thru to someone in the Phillipines, she couldn't answer any of my questions, she could only read from a script. I was calling because they increased my service; ridicuously increased it: her only response was to upgrade and I'm like "what?", I'm trying to lower my bill, not increase it! I'm asking my friends what provider they use and most are responding: Xfinity. I think I'll give them a call!

Review by SimiVoice See Profile

• Location: Simi Valley,Ventura,CA
Good "Pair bonding, rewards, Motorola NVG589, IPv6"
Bad "More expensive (without contract) than TWC, multiple techs to fix line issue"
Overall "Needs pair bonding and you're golden!"

My service install/changes are documented on this thread: »New Uverse User w/ Line Stats -- Advice From You?

Ordered U200 TV and 12Mbps Internet on the 19th of December. Got service professionally installed (without charge) on the 24th of December.

On install day, new CAT5e ran from drop to residential gateway. The old residential gateway was a 2Wire 3801 . . . It only has wireless-G speeds!? Ended up installing my own wireless-N router behind the 2Wire for decent WiFi.

TV is very clear and changes channels ridiculously fast. DVR box is much slower than the Dish Hopper (which we are comparing U-verse TV to). Internet speeds are very consistent and have not had any dropouts (»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3226754179).

About two weeks later, line statistics fall off a cliff. A splicing/lineman is dispatched the next morning after calling the problem in. He cleans, tests, and fixes the line, line stats are even better than original. He leaves a clean and tested second pair ready for a bonded pair install two days later.

On bonded pair install day, very friendly tech comes out and hooks up the second pair. I get an upgrade from the 2Wire 3801 to my current residential gateway, the Motorola NVG589. Line stats have since been exceptional and have not had any problems.

Overall = satisfied! Price is a little more than the comparable service/speed from the local cable company (Time Warner Cable), and there are initial problems getting the service to actually function properly/reliably, but stable connection overall and more than advertised speeds.

---------------------------

EDIT (2/4/2014)

Canceled U-verse TV, as the box is too slow for even basic functions such as opening up the on-screen menu. Dish Hopper still remains ridiculously fast, responsive, and more superior.

Also, I noticed that I got upgraded to the newest profile being offered to U-verse customers, the 55/6 profile. This upgrade has made me eligible to receive not only Max Turbo, but the new Power internet tier (45Mbps/6Mbps) as well. Pricewise, any U-verse service is usually more than competitors, but they do make up for the relatively expensive service with innovative features (such as the U-verse TV Wireless Receiver). See the attached picture in this review for my Power internet tier eligibility and pricing.

Still staying with U-verse Internet for the foreseeable future. We will see how it goes.

---------------------------

EDIT (2/20/2014)
It seems that AT&T increased the upload speeds on their Max (1.5Mbps >> 2.0 Mbps), Max Plus (1.5Mbps >> 2.0 Mbps), and Turbo (3Mbps >> 5 Mbps) plans. Thus, I can confirm that on my connection, I received the speed bump also (Max internet tier).

Comments:

Review by ImpldConsent See Profile

• Location: Mcdonough,Henry,GA
Good "FAST Service! Excellent install (except adding STBs)."
Bad "AT&T will suck you dry of every associated penny."
Overall "Fast; reliable; however, the UBB ruins the value."

·magicjack.com
* UPDATE 18FEB2014: Wow, what a year. Just got home from being deployed to Afghanistan. The day I left for combat, wife up and moved. She was kind enough to put Uverse on hold at 19.00 month. She wasn't there at the welcome home and I had to beg for a ride home. Came home to a (nearly) empty house and got served divorce papers the next day. ... K, now for review: Re-estabished Uverse with my cell phone and it was up quick. I (had) 6 receivers, but only one of me and now only 2 TVs. I dropped down to U200 and bumped up internet to 45Mb. Waited 2 days for a tech and took about an hour total from changing to a new card at the VRAD and establishing the bonded pair. Hooked up a new RG (NV589) and it went green in about 5min. I then took 4 wired receivers to UPS and gave them back to ATT. Overall, as it relates to my Uverse experience, I am quite pleased. Couldn't be happier with TV and internet.

* UPDATE 8JAN2013: We dumped telephone service in lieu of VOIP. We are effectively saving 40./month (480./yr). We transferred our number so no loss. Ordered another STB (wireless) and should be in soon. I'll update the review if there are issues, but not anticipating any. Internet and TV are still ROCK SOLID.

* UPDATE 11JUN2012: No real updates. Still up and running while I'm still here in Afghanistan (at least my wife hasn't complained yet). We still pay a lot, but I can say this for U-Verse - it's stable and it's fast.

* UPDATE 6JUL2011: Added another STB for our 5th TV with this caveat: I pre-wired my house cat 5 to every liveable space (exclude bathrooms). I insisted that I wanted to do a self-install instead of paying them 55.00 to have a tech plug it in. AT&T insisted that there was more to it than just plugging it in. I relented. 'Lo and behold all the AT&T tech did was plug it in. AT&T SUCKS for not being able to determine the technical ability of it's customers.

PHASE III update now in place. FINALLY, my kids can pause live TV in any room. Great update.

* UPDATE 2MAR2011: UBB is going to be implemented May 2011. For me, that means I have to trust AT&T to tell me how much data is being downloaded and to tell me what is internet traffic and what is TV/Phone. I'm reducing my "Value for money" to "Worst" until I see what this does. For what it's worth - I have Max Turbo (24/3), 450 TV, Unlimited Phone (for now). I pay a lot of money for that service and a reasonable price for "Unlimited". Capping me now brings that to unreasonable.

* UPDATE NOV2010: OK, had this over 1 month now. Internet is awesome; however, TV is not so good. We have great signal, very few errors / corrections; however, most shows we watch are HD. It's fair, but not great. There is pixelization that you have to deal with. Wife is pissed. I think we might dump TV in favor of going to DTV (certainly NOT cable).

/////

ORIGINAL REVIEW: 18days from notification of availability to installation up and running. I cannot complain about the length of time for service. The installer (Richard) was fantastic. Had the "outside" guy come out, do his thing, then the inside guy (Richard) come out and do the house. He had internet up an running within 30min, then spent the rest of the 4hrs connecting phone and TV (4 of them).

ATT used HDMI cables (thank you) for connectivity on each TV. The RG (wired + wireless) is working flawlessly. I did a speed test and am getting 22Mbps down and about 2.2Mbps up. A little loss of latency, but overall, I'm impressed. All this speed is coming to my house on copper. I couldn't imagine if I was on FTTH.

For speed freaks, this is fantastic. For TV freaks... dump the Dish! I did. The service is 1080i, not sure if I'll see 1080p just yet or maybe sometime in the future. The 65.00 I quoted is for internet only. For the U200 TV, VOIP phone and Internet, runs about 171.00 month. I'm saving about 50.00/month dumping Dish.

member for 13.4 years, 2103 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Jeff Robin

@mycingular.net

AT&T lied bate and switch

They sold me with 92 a month then I got a bill for $230 and the boxes suck don't believe uvers promise

desertdebbie

a sucker is born every minute with AT&t -stay away U-VERSE

I have nothing but trouble with AT&T billing in the past so it was with great great trepidation I called and got Uverse for $14.95 a month - told the modem was free (when I told them I did not want their modem) - no mention of any activation fee - only informed about data limits when I am activating it with a rep who tells me I am wrong - there's no data limit. Just got the bill - my $14.95 service morphed into a bill for $228. - UNBELIVEABLE - went to complain on the PUC site and discovered they don't handle internet complaints - where can I go - BBB???

Review by oldgringo See Profile

• Location: Marfa,Presidio,TX
Good "No down time"
Bad "System buggy "
Overall "Not as advertised"

Installation was done in a decent time-frame, however my impression of the installer was he had limited knowledge in the field. The system is reliable but appears to have unresolvable issues. AT&T has many 3rd party vendors involved in the service, and as a result the service is not what it could be. There seems to be no communication between these 3rd party vendors and AT&T in regards to the quality of service provided to the consumer. Over all, not bad but far from good.

Comments:

Review by trinity350 See Profile

• Location: Anaheim,Orange,CA
Good "They let me out of my contract"
Bad "Unacceptable service to the area"
Overall "I have little choice as a consumer."

I moved to Anaheim, CA about 2 months ago. I live less than 4 miles from Disneyland!! Yet, I could not get REAL Uverse service from AT&T and no feedback as to when it might improve. This was documented by their technician and to their credit will be excused from the contract.

To be fair, my building is not cabled so my modem must connect to the nearest "box". I'm told I'm too far away!!
Again, I don't live in a rural area. I have Target, restaurants and business all-around me.

Because of the exact placement, I cannot use a satellite service.

This is so ridiculous. - I'm hoping AT&T will read this and make plans to better service this area. - Co workers say "yeh. AT&T sucks!".

I know i could use a hot spot, but (like millions of people) I like to stream movies. - I'm trying CLEAR internet. - It's not great but for now a little better and AT&T.I called Sales to inquire if there had been any upgrades to Internet in my area. I was told they had upgraded the equipment and I should get increased DSL speeds. (I had the service 6 months ago and AT&T confirmed that I could not get 1.5 Mps download speed.)

Fed. 2014
I wanted to see if there were upgrades to the area.
Everything seemed good while speaking to the sales team, but things changed.

1) A day later, I received an email that something was wrong with the order. I was given an order # and phone number to call. It took 3 days of waiting on hold to get someone who could address the issue.
2) I referenced the order # in the email. The attendant could not locate the order this number.
3) I was transferred to someone else, even though I called the number provided.
4) I was on hold for 3 different people.
5) I asked for a refund for the $19.95 I was charged for Geek Squad DSL installation assistance. - I was told I would set up the equipment but that they wanted everything to go well and that the Geek Squad would check my settings upon installation. - Since I had decided to cancel DSL service, I wanted a refund.
6) There was no record of AT&T taking my money. I was told to call Geek Sqad. - This didn't make sense to me since I had not completed the order or called them (as instructed by AT&T). Through more phone calls, I was given a phone number that "might" help me get my money back from the Geek Squad.
7)Rather than wait on hold again, I search on line and found a Geek Sqad/AT&T support web site. I emailed 2 of the email addresses listed. They bounced back as invalid. - I am waiting on a response from a third email message.

All of this and my DSL speed might not have improved at all. - I asked originally if a new tower or CO or something had been installed in my area. I was told the sales person didn't have that info, but the equipment was upgraded. - After my experience this past week, my confidence in AT&T is even lower than before.

Comments:

kerlin

review

This service is poor. I've had recorded programs get cut off after only a few minutes left or cut off before the program is to begin, leaving only 15-17 minutes of the end of the program. today, the weekly recorded program of Resolution displayed that it recorded in the recording list but when I opened it to watch, the whole program was a black screen! We pay a lot of money with little service!

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

We can work on the problems if you wish.

Contact me if you need help, it's what we are here for.

Review by Matt7 See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "Great speed, great tv picture... Overall very happy"
Bad "None at this time"
Overall "Great deal go for it!"

·Insight Communic..
Very happy with my AT&T UVerse install so far.

Ordered Uverse on 10/12/09 with an install date of 10/26/09.

Tech called me about 11:30 am on his way here from his previous job (my window was 11a-1pm).

Tech showed up. We chatted a few.. I have DT (POTS) so he checked my phone heard the DT then said he needed to go jumper (at the VRAD)

He was gone a few mins and then came back... brought the equipment including his test set.. Could get DT but could not see a response back from the VRAD.. so he headed out again after checking the wiring in the MDU ( We chatted about how awful MDU wiring can be) ... etc...

He went out and sure enough the place he jumper on the VRAD was bad ( he said he sees this often on a lot of VRADs) I chuckled and said "it's amazing that this technology works on such old phone system.."

He then replaced my wall plate (installing a baun in the wall to separate the POTS from the jack for the UVerse RG)

Then he setup the RG and the DVR box... while he did that (I was talking tech with him as I do support for a cable company in another state) while he finished setting up the DVR I configured my laptop with the provided SSID and WPA key... and we where online

Great install.. Overall I am very pleased with the service. the 6 MB / 1MB is on target with the speed tests and so far the DVR is working wonderful and the picture (even on my SD TV) is better than what I had with Digital cable with Time Warner.

Currently subscribing to UVerse U200 for Video and 6MB/1MB for the Data.

Update 03/12/12 : I got rid of DVR in NOV 09 due to cost... Finally moving to cable 3/12. Uverse was nice but I really want a higher bandwidth package than 24/3 and AT*T seems not willing to update to Fiber to support DOCSIS 3 type speeds.

Update 10/1/12 : Signed back up with UVerse for HSI. Great service so far (64mbps sync as I am only a stones throw away from the VRAD)

Constant speed on the 18M down / 1.5M up Tier - Little pricey $56.00 a month and they started to charge a $6.00 equipment fee.

Downgraded on 4/10/13 to 3M down / 1M up Tier .. Looking at cable again as DOCSIS 3 will be here this summer and offer faster tier speeds.

** 9/2/13 called and requested AT&T UVerse install U200 with 12/1.5 Speed Tier.

Service installed on 9/7/13 between 11-1pm. Very great tech -- Installed a RG3800 - Max Sync 61,000 - 400 ft from the VRAD -- Service great so far.. Hoping they come out with a single pair solution for 45/6 soon

11/08/13 - Terminate Uverse HSI but keep UVerse U200 video service for $44 a month on promo.

1/29/14 - RG went down and came back up .. my RG 3800 is now synced at 61,000 kbps down / 9800 kbps up Max rate (which means I got moved to a K or N Card).

member for 13.6 years, 4692 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Mr Fel See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "Works Great, Get Full Speed"
Bad "Caps, order screw up"
Overall "Past initial install works fine."

·AT&T DSL Service
02/03/14 Finally got my own place, and with that my own hsia connection. Being a UVerse tech is nice with the employee discount, went with only the Max (12Mbps) hsia package since it is the fastest that can be ordered for a self install. No need for the tv service, get all of my content online or just buy season box sets. Got my own 5031NV from work and took care of all the wiring inside my apartment. My coworker pulled the facility ticket and had sync for me in under half an hour from his arrival at the xbox and onto to the pedestal serving the mdu. He did have to smart chat in however, whoever wrote my order put it in wrong and locked up the account so that service would not flow through. So he contacted order management and got that fixed. From time of arrival to finish was just a little under an hour. Getting my full speed on ethernet, about half on wifi, to be expected in mdu's, will probably buy a 5Ghz access point to bypass the slow 2.4Ghz speeds. Will contact sales again now that I have the service up and upgrade to Max Plus (18M). Most of the time on pure ethernet it will pull 20M+ down, worth the extra $10 a month I believe, and by going the csi route don't have to pay for the fti either. Not a fan of the caps though, but still a soft cap from what I've seen.

member for 6.4 years, 2812 visits, last login: a few hours ago