AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by gig_gy See Profile

• Location: Bay Saint Louis,Hancock,MS
Good "Professional Installation "
Bad "2 DSL Line Bad"
Overall "Sometimes slow - not speeds as advertised"

Installation was conducted very professional - used all the proper tools for installation. Was an employee for AT&T and not a sub-contractor. Speed test was as advertised, however more and more neighborhood ordering Uverse the speeds started to decrease, (WHAT THIS IS NOT CABLE). Speed test was normal - but when I would visit sites the pages would load very slow, I couldn't even close the browser until it page cached. 30 t0 60 seconds. I called numerous times but the tech says everything is fine. For 12 meg for 63.00 and 30 meg for 45.00 from cable company - what do you thing is the better solution?

Comments:

teebox27

@rr.com

UVERSE

I switched to ATT Uverse in January because I was having far too many problems with Time Warner Turbo. So far today is the first outage for ATT and I called and they said the problem was in our area and was being resolved, we'll see. Other than that, the service is just as fast as TWC and much more reliable at a cheaper price. I think that the service you get with either company depends on the area in which you live. Time Warner customer service is a disgrace and my blood pressure has gone down since I've stopped dealing with them. That alone was worth the switch.

atchisonkans

AT&T UVERSE IS SLOW

Had Max Plus for an entire year. Speed test.net shows high speeds but it's only a burst speed!
NetFlix re-buffers and webpages don't load fast like they should. It's kind of like the pipe is to small or they are throttling the connection. Promotion ended and I got this big bill in my email for $65...
Thought what the crap... This service is not work $65 and down graded to Basic. Was so slow I can tether faster with my boost G-2 or so called G-3 cell phone for the same price I was paying for Max on promotion. You pay double for everything in the Midwest and in most places AT&T is the only game in town.

andyseaview

Re: AT&T UVERSE IS SLOW

my internet on at&t is great, and fast, 100mbs for me is perfect but sometimes watching hi def movies it does slow down

Review by jagnew81 See Profile

• Location: 66141
Good "nice install techs and phone Customer Service/Sales"
Bad "no want to fix customer issues if they can't be fixed over the phone."
Overall "not worth it better options in KCMO for internet Time Warner and google fiber where available."

consistently slow since we had got u-verse, customer support puts a band aid on it by "boosting the signal" and that works for about a day or two, then back to 0.25Mbps upload speeds, i am not posting this to get anything at all. I just want to warn other potential customers that At&T U-verse service will leave them wanting another service provider. »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3227314544

Comments:

biotech

VDSL or ADSL2+?

Title pretty much says all that I need to comment in here.
mshoemaker3

not at all unhappy...»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3391216904

Review by ccureau See Profile

• Location: Saint Rose,Saint Charles,LA
Good "Native IPv6"
Bad "Coordinating the installation"

This review might be a little biased against AT&T...I've had more than my share of issues with the new AT&T both in business and personal environments. When BellSouth was here, at least I could be sure that the guys on the ground were knowledgeable about how to solve the issues. No such luck so far with AT&T. Take from that what you will.

On 3/14, we were approached by an AT&T salesman who was in the neighborhood. He told us that the trucks we had been seeing around were upgrading UVerse in the area. And, after speaking with him and looking over the channel lineup, we decided to give it a try. Currently we have no ISP and no TV provider, and the $70 off the normal price for 12 months helped. And, to ease my wariness, we have 30 days after installation to cancel.

We signed up on the evening of 3/14. The first shifty thing AT&T demanded was that my payment be drafted from my checking account. They don't want to send me a paper bill. This bothers me. The next problem was the bait-and-switch tactic of telling me there is a $49 activation fee AFTER I agree to get the service installed. Big red flag...but hey, this is AT&T...I expect this. Our install date is scheduled for 3/17 between 9am and 11am. I arrange to take the morning off from work.

Bright and early on 3/17, the line tech called to confirm the appointment at 9am. He actually came early and looked over the premises. He then drove down to the VRAD to connect the wiring. He came back after about 30 minutes and tested the NID -- no signal. He then climbed the pole and still couldn't get a signal. After another trip to the VRAD we finally got voltage on the line, but no signal. So he calls in a senior tech for assistance. He then calls his supervisor, who tells him that we need to reschedule the inside install so that they can finish troubleshooting the signal to the house. We decide that 3/18 at 9am would be fine, and I arrange to take another morning off from work.

On 3/18, I wait for the technician. No one comes out. I contact support to find out the status of the appointment. The nice person on the other end tells me that there was no appointment scheduled and that we need to schedule one. I tell her that someone was supposed to be here at 9am. That didn't seem to matter. Instead, she tells me that the earliest we can get the inside installation done is 3/21. I am not happy, but we schedule for 3/21 at 9am. I get a new appointment number, this one with an A at the end.

Later in the day we get a voice message saying that the outside conditions have been corrected and a tech came to the house, but no one was there. If they came, it was after I left for work. The voice mail also told us that we needed to reschedule the inside installation.

Still later in the day, I get an email from AT&T telling me that we need to schedule the appointment. I contact their support team again, and -- there's no appointment! I have scheduled a second time for 3/21 at 9am.

I'll update when I actually get the service installed.

UPDATE - 3/21/2014

I have to admit that I didn't have all of the information correct regarding the appointment above. There was a voice mail left by my original tech who said that he couldn't schedule the new installation time and that I would have to call to schedule a new one. I missed that part.

AT&T came out today and did the inside install as promised. I unfortunately couldn't take the morning off, so a neighbor sat there from 9am to 2pm while the techs did their thing. From what was reported to me, the TV came up quickly. The Internet, however, took hours to get completed. When I get home tonight I will run speed tests and start stability testing as I am not really given a lot of confidence at how long it took them to get the signal on these lines from the VRAD two streets away.

Comments:

EYESWIDE

@12.4.17.x

Its 1:14 EST March 21, 2014 Did they ever come hook you up?

Did they ever come hook you up?
ccureau

join:2002-12-28
Slidell, LA

Re: Its 1:14 EST March 21, 2014 Did they ever come hook you up?

They just left 10 minutes ago. About to post an update.

Review by Kiwi See Profile

• Location: USA/MidWest
Good "Realiable, very reasonable price for business class."
Bad "Slow 9meg with a service plan of 12meg. 8000 feet"
Overall "What counts is reliability and AT&T does deliver that."

Various reviews over the years and multiple ISP's since the advent of high speed 1200baud rate

Aristotle was hard to beat with 1G/1G, while Dallas and the crew were there, using Earthlink, which left us all holding an empty bag of zero's. Now using AT&T, which I have not had since comparing them and cable around 2000.

One thing about AT&T, they may be consistently slow, but they are reliable and many understand how important that is. Averaging around 9meg, with a service of 12meg -But, I'm a couple of miles from the sweet spot. It does get under my skin that less than 800 yards away is a Uverse sweet spot I can't have because the line runs the wrong way. Living in a historic district has it's downsides with any service; we are always LAST on any service update list, regardless of what it is.

I'm happy to have a solid connection though and will not complain about pricing for a business line at all, $40 a month is ridiculously low. I'm used to $80's + and cable was $200. I'm hoping AT&T upgrades the area so that I can also get TV and will be more than happy to pay for the service; I have never, ever been a grinch when it comes to paying for broadband, I use it more than anything else PC related -So, I'm willing to pay. I have now had service a full month.

After getting service, which was delayed due to the software mishap for a week, I'm fairly content, I know the line can handle a much better connection speed (Aristotle/Earthlink) but AT&T is slow [Years] to upgrade hardware.

If there is a con, it has to be contacting AT&T -It's entirely setup for cell phone wireless customers ONLY and is horrific to get past. However the results have been great in terms of results. AT&T will not leave you hanging without a service like Comcast will.

Cheers
***********
Update April 26th, 2013 Remains 100% reliable. Satisfied.
UPDATE Oct/Nov, 2013 Remains 100% reliable. Satisfied. Would still like full Uverse services (TV), however doubt that will ever happen.
***********
Pleased to continue with AT&T.

UPDATE 03/15/2014 ---Business line
I'm patient when treated well.
Mid January a tree limb dropped all lines to the house, all were fixed, but continued to have issues with Uverse internet.
As it happens AT&T are prompt and the tech team fast to reply and for that I'm grateful enough to hang in. I have had all sorts of tech visits since having the line replaced, cat5 inside, new modem, new ground and even a new drop --In spite of that on a 12meg line I was getting 1100 baud rate [.45] Fast forward to today. The strange thing was although there was a lot of noise the line gave 10/.900 for around 4 to 6 hours after a Tech left and then dropped dead again.

Allen (Roy) came out, it was pretty easy to see he was committed to resolving the problem and did! Now here is the catch, lines running from the box on the pole (street) had a boot spike through the middle (half way up the pole), the lines it seems touched enough with a wind to provide a connection (They really were broken in half) almost like working with WIFI 1/8 inch apart.
Nobody can tell me these lines can't take abuse. KUDO's to Allen.

AT&T continue to treat customers well with regard internet issues and in spite of this difficult to discern problem, still came through.

Comments:

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

Had SDSL at 1G/1G, on (what became) U-Verse lines?

Guess you meant 1Mbps/1Mbps; else it was FTTP or FTTC (very short copper length before fiber interface) not SDSL.

Recent variants of SDSL I believe don't exceed 5/5Mbps even when using two pairs.

Review by luezuve See Profile

• Location: Simi Valley,Ventura,CA
Good "Been rock solid."
Bad "Expensive for slow speed and they're liars."
Overall "Mixed feelings overall but won't put up with liars."

I've had AT&T U-Verse since 2011. I pretty much ordered them as soon as they came into my neighborhood. I've had the 24mbps plan for the same amount of time and AT&T has shown no care about upgrading our neighborhood to the 48mbps. Furthermore, they've supplied me with the same 802.11g router for that time and have never cared about upgrading that either. None of that bothered me until a recent event. I was paying almost $70 a month for 24mbps when Time Warner would give me 50mbps for less and considering many in my area have been upgraded to 100mbps, it's only a matter of time before my neighborhood is. So, I called AT&T and they agreed to give me the 24mbps plan for $37 a month if I agreed to a 1 year contract. While I was hesitant to sign up with them for another 12 months, I couldn't pass up the $37 a month so I agreed. I waited for the contract. Nothing. I get a Bill for $55, I call. "It's a mistake sir, just pay the $37." I do. I call their sales people again to make sure I don't receive another wrong bill and they tell me it's not $37 any more, it's $39.50 because their prices went up in March. Although I agreed to the contract in February, they wouldn't budge and it's not like I'm going to file a lawsuit over what comes to $30/year. So I'm about to drop them and go to Time Warner. Yes, it's "only" $2.50 a month more but it's not that, it's the principle. It's fraud. It's having me agree to one thing but then telling me it's something else. I can't stick with a company like that. I have my doubts if Time Warner will be better, but I have little choice.

Unfortunately, this site lists me as "happy overall," but I'm not. I'm not happy with liars.

Comments:

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

ETF?

Were you over 30 days since start of the new contract?
If so, did they let you out without ETF charge;
possibly rate increase was excuse enough?

emjayef

join:2007-11-25
Pleasant Hill, CA
·Astound Broadband
·Anveo

I feel the same way

I have AT&T wireless, and I'm fairly happy with that, and had Comcast xfinity for TV/Phone/Internet. But one time, an ATT agent offered me a uVerse deal, for same features at a supposedly lower cost, but I was still in a Comcast promotion, so I said not now. She called back a couple of times over the next few months, and at the end of my Comcast promotion, I decided to try it on a 30-day free trial.

Fortunately, I kept my Comcast setup, and knew how to do the connections. First thing I found was that I had no HD. Oops, well that can be added for an extra charge. But then I found that I wasn't saving any money after all. Next, I found out that the upload speed was was about 1/4 of the Comcast speed, even though I had asked specifically about that and been told, after someone checked for me, that the upload speed was 5 or 6 mb/s. When I got my first bill, soon after signing up, it was about twice my normal Comcast bill, although it was the first month and probably had more than one month billing.

But it didn't matter; I decided to cancel within the 30 days, and took the equipment to UPS for return. I didn't pay the bill, since I had a free trial, but it took months for them to stop calling and writing, getting really pushy about my non-payment. But finally, after many phone calls back and forth, it got settled.

Meanwhile, at about that time, Comcast raised the service to 29 mb/s where AT&T was only 16, and they gave me a 12-month promotion for internet and phone that was cheaper than AT&T.

Review by lonnyb See Profile

• Location: Dayton,Montgomery,OH
Good "Access to four tuners, wireless commo between boxes"
Bad "Only one aspect at a time seems to have good access to Internet."
Overall "I'm mostly happy. But I had to go back to TWC."

This is a new install so I am still getting used to its features. What I mean by "four tuners" is I can record 4 shows at the same time. Or, I can record 3 shows and watch another with no problem. Both boxes in my house share the same DVR pool; this means I can watch a recorded show on either TV. My second box is wireless; so, for some insane reason, if I want to watch TV in my back yard, no problem, I may with no communication wire. Another nice feature, these boxes allow your TV to have limited access to the Internet.

The package I got (U-300) comes with a wireless router. All equipment seemed to be new from the manufacturer.

The telephone service works as well as I had expected.

I have noticed a vast reduction in bandwidth unless I am the ONLY user in my network. That includes all TV's, boxes and computers. There seems to be a bit of competition. There is, however, no competition with other users outside of my network, so the time of day does not matter.

That is all I have for now.

********************************************************************************************

I had to disconnect from AT&T Uverse!! All services would shut off many days at about 0930 or so and reconnect at 1800. (This was very irritating during tax preparation time.) We decided it was a "vampire" connection. I kept calling customer service and technicians would work for a while and assure me that the problem was resolved. I think this process might have happened for 5 or so repetitions. On the last scheduled visit, I scheduled a visit for one day and the technician did not show. I called customer service to be informed that I had the wrong day. I scheduled no other visits and decided to stop service and go back to Time Warner Cable. I don't like TWC's technology as well, but at least they are reliable.

Comments:

doggy

@charter.com

AT&T DSL or any internet-related product sucks as hell

I have ordered u-verse internet and the person on the service line said it was available in two hours. however, it didnt work out and i had to call them back after 4 hours and talked to for mre than an hour.
at the end, what they say was that they do not know why someone said it was available in 2 hours. the fastest day to activate was about a week after. also, they wanted me to call back next day to spend my private time again.
AT&T sucks and they should go to hell.
Customer service is worse than dog crab.people speaking on the phones are not eduated well as employees and dont even know whtat they are doing.
If i have a chance to go back to time when i first talked for the activation, i would rather go to the public library and use the internet.
AT&T internet is such a garbage in many different ways such as customer services and etc.

Review by golfnow See Profile

• Location: Knoxville,Knox,TN
Good "Everything woks great"
Bad "n/a"
Overall "Excellent service."

Have U-verse internet !8mbps, Television, home phone and cell phone. Each service is very good. Every hooked up with no problems.

Still well satisfied with service. Internet now ay !8. No slowdowns. Price still the same.

Service has been great Up all the time.

member for 2.1 years, 291 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Shocked

So Shocked

$235 a month for 8MBPS!?!?!?! Where do you live?!?!?

Paying $120 for 42MBPS, TV, and Phone service, and I thought I was overpaying!

oneoone

join:2010-01-20
Lagrange, GA

Re: So Shocked

if you read he has all 3 services plus cell phones (no telling how many he has, I would guess 2).

Catguy

AT&T

Be extremely careful signing up for AT&T U Verse Internet service by phone. I was assured over and over the $49 activation fee would be waived and there was no other start-up fees. I got my first bill, which I had been assured would be $19.95 plus a prorated amount of about $7, and there was the $49 activation fee plus another $108 in start-up fees. AT&T phone sales people will tell you anything to get you to sign on. They are trained liars.

not worth it

@172.56.31.x

don't get attuverse

Service is alright not gonna lie, but they put extra charges on my bill every month. So every month we have to be calling for them to fix it they said that we owe a modem. We send it in and apparently they never got it so there still charging us $100. Not really worth getting if you have to be calling every month

Review by FicmanS See Profile

• Location: Brownsburg,Hendricks,IN
Good "TV and phone services are ok"
Bad "Internet Gaming is horrible"
Overall "Comcast Internet is looking good again"

We've been up and running now for 14 months, TV and phone are working very well. Internet Speeds continue to disappoint, hopeful some upgrades will be available in the future. Started pricing Comcast Internet...

Internet speeds continue to be horrible

Comments:

done deal

@sbcglobal.net

u- verse worse than Charter!

My bill universe is $190 per month and my cell with the same company is $115 per month. I'm not impressed and customers service can only offer me less services to make it less expensive.I got better service for less money at other companies. the universe internet that is supposed to be the best is no better than other DSL. DON'T SWITCH TO AT&T YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Review by tabernak See Profile

• Location: Lucedale,George,MS
Good "Reliable, good latency, great speed for rural location"
Bad "Upstream speeds"
Overall "As a rural customer, I can't complain"

·AT&T DSL Service
I have U-verse High Speed Internet Max Plus for $63 not including discounts (although the 1st year I do get $11 off). That gets me an advertised 18 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up, the maximum offered at my location. Recently they seem to have increased the upstream to 2 Mbps and they've always over provisioned on the downstream since I got service in December of 2013. I regularly test at about 20 Mbps down and 1.8 Mbps up, which is quite good. My latency is ~40 ms to Dallas and then 60+ ms elsewhere. Plenty of gaming servers in Dallas, so that's no issue, although that's far from the closest city to me.

Service is pair bonded VDSL2 on a NVG589. Over the last 3 months I've only had 3 brief disconnects while I was using the service and a few times I noticed my speeds were slow, although the slow speeds certainly could have been a wireless issue. Installation happened the day they planned and went well, I got a new NID and they installed the NVG589 about 20 feet away in my laundry room. Installer said his instruments read I was ~4100 feet from the VRAD, the other technician who was a local that came in the bucket truck to connect my second line for the pair bonding was surprised I could get U-verse at my location.

At&t U-verse is a national product and your mileage will vary wildly. It may be surprising how happy I am with my installation, but you have to consider I previously considered myself lucky to just have 6 Mbps DSL service as I live ~3 miles from a town of just 1000 people. There is no cable competition, yet At&t is providing me with a reliable broadband connection far above what's available in most rural areas.

The limited upstream will keep me from using some cloud services, but nothing that I will miss personally. Downstream is sufficient for everything currently and should be for a few years to come, at this speed the only thing limited is the speed of downloads. Hopefully by then they'll be getting around to upgrading my area with the 17a profiles or vectoring.

Comments:
ramsaso

join:2014-01-04
Houston, TX

What about other providers?

Such as DSLExtreme or any CLEC comapny?
tabernak

join:2013-08-10
·AT&T DSL Service

Re: What about other providers?

I've searched before and have never been able to find any CLECs here on the Mississippi gulf coast. Prior to moving to this house last year I researched my alternatives in case the DSL here was atrocious, my choices would have been Millenicom (Verizon MVNO w/ 20 GB cap) or potentially a WISP (they had a terrible website and I never investigated further). Even the 6 Mb DSL I had prior to this beat those alternatives as it delivered the advertised speeds.

So long as they continue to provide my current speeds and quality I'm not currently worried about shopping around. Perhaps in a few years it could be a concern if they haven't implemented any upgrades to boost the speeds.

Review by pf2007 See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
Bad "att is a bad company"
Overall "Go to another company for internet."

ATT Internet service is the worst internet you can have. they have horrible customer service and the internet will frequently go in and out. Go with comcast instead.

Comments:

BusinessinMI

UVerse internet

Don't let At&t representatives fool you. Switched from AT&T DSL, to UVerse, TERRIBLE!!! I was assured internet speeds of 3 times greater than my existing DSL line, not the case, my internet is slower than ever, this is terrible for a business! Fooled once again by AT&T...If you have Comcast business in your area, get that instead!
golfnow

join:2012-08-19
Knoxville, TN

Re: UVerse internet

Sorry best decision I have ever made was when I left Comcast for Uverse. Much faster.

·Google Voice

having problems? we can help

We have a AT&T direct forum here, I believe the link is even on the front page. You can also click my name and it will show a link on my profile page.

We are here to help!

Thanks
David.
02/24/14- My hours recently changed. I work 11:30 A.M. to 10 P.M. central time. I am not in the office on friday, saturday, or sunday. Thanks-David

@bellsouth.net

Re: having problems? we can help

I came across your post when I was researching ways to increase my isp speed. I currently have business service through AT&T and I have a download speed of (roughly) 2.5mb but my upload speed is where I'm having issues. I need an upload speed of .4 (sustained) but can only manage .27-.33. I called the tech support line and he told me that he could guarantee me .4 upload but in order to do that my download speed would be dropped to 512k, which is unacceptable because I need 1.5mb or better for work. The other alternative I was given (because uverse is not available in my area and they have no idea when or if it will be (his words not mine)) was to purchase another 3 mb line and (I'm assuming because he didn't go into a lot of detail) pair bond to achieve a 6mb service. My big issue with that is that I would have to pay for 2 3 mb service at $34.99 which if you ask me since they seem to be in no hurry to get uverse in my area they should give it to me for the same cost as the uverse service.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks,

Re: having problems? we can help

ahh, had to look at your location... this is in bellsouth where I believe the highest pkg is a 512kb upload, but the downstream is wide open (capped at 6mbps on the ISP side). I think 512kb is all they offer (max upstream offering) in bellsouth. For 13state if you can get the elite tier 3-6 down/ 512-768k up that probably would be better for your needs. If uverse/IPDSL isn't available they wouldn't be able to pair bond ADSL. Only other way to get a sustained upstream above 512kb would be (note: this assumes you do not have alternate providers such as cable, wireless, etc..) a t-1 1.5/1.5 symmetrical.

@bellsouth.net

Re: having problems? we can help

Just got off the phone with AT&T again....and I'm told that the service I have is the 3mb download and .384kb upload (which I don't speed test any where near those) and that is unfortunately the best available at this time. Uverse is not available and won't be for some time. I did get in contact with a cable company that's moving into the area and they are offering a 7mb download and .768kb upload for just a few bucks more. So after being a loyal AT&T customer for 15+ years it looks like I'm gonna have to switch. Thanks for getting back with me though, I appreciate it.

said by Judi :

Thanks for getting back with me though, I appreciate it.

No problem, thanks for using at&t for the long run you had and good luck.

Do call again if there is anything else needed though.