AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by RPM Jack See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Easy self-install, support has been responsive, technicians are capable and helpful."
Bad "Too many outages, support attempted to sell upgraded package while service was down."
Overall "Good value for existing SBC/ATT DSL customer, most of the outages are not related to my equipment, plan to stay with AT&T."

Stopped by AT&T store to purchase a new Samsung phone in 2011, representative checked account and recommended moving to U-verse DSL. Placed the order for U-verse Pro when I purchased the phone, did not switch to U-verse voice, was shipped the self-install package on a timely basis. PIN was not received via USPS until after the cutover date.

I had no significant issues performing the self-install as scheduled beyond some minor issues configuring the Linksys router; luckily I remembered the PIN. The Motorola modem functioned well for several years. I had several significant outages that were resolved without entering the premises While chatting with a support representative while I was at work during one outage, the representative attempted to sell me an upgraded package, which was poor timing on his part.

I had an outage before Thanksgiving 2013, and a technician arrived the next day (Friday), replacing the modem with a more current Motorola NVG510 modem, which eliminated the need for the Linksys router. I noticed my AT&T landline was dead on Saturday, and my U-Verse DSL died on Sunday. Another technician arrived on Monday and resolved some wiring issues at the box. He blamed the problem on the recent cold, wet weather. He also rewired the box in the wall of my bedroom to better match the standard U-Verse configuration. My speed tests after the second visit by a technician were significantly higher than after the first visit (1.7 download versus 2.8 download). Wi-Fi performance by my phone, tablet, Roku, and Windows PCs on the new modem have been excellent.

I may be moving in the near future, and at this point, I plan to stick with U-Verse DSL and I will probably move to U-Verse Voice, eliminating my landline.

member for 13 years, 6044 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Perry43

@sbcglobal.net

Att uverse

Our setvice is out as much as it works. In 6 months they have been out 7 times. Still has problems. Save yourself the time of a contract they wont let you out of. Uverse tv and internet is worthless

Review by Graystoke See Profile

• Location: Stockton,San Joaquin,CA
Good "HD Picture Quality, Support, DVR"
Bad "Several non premium cable channels, such as FX channel, not available with on demand."
Overall "Overall, I'm happy with U-verse."

I've had U-verse for seven years now. After a shaky first year with the voice portion, TV, internet, and voice, have been running smoothly all these years. Customer service, when needed, has been very good.

member for 8.3 years, 2079 visits, last login: 3 days ago

Comments:

Elaine2221

@mycingular.net

U verse

U verse internet sucks there wifi is horrible, we never get wifi signal any where in my house excep right next to the modem, and AT&T snoop around your history so if u download something your not supposed too, AT&T send u text messages saying there going to shout down your Service pulse they even look through your old history from years ago.
Expand your moderator at work

jennhynd

@myvzw.com

att sucks

I have NEVER had issues like this with Comcast. when we moved I feel as though att took advantage of us with their lies to claims of being better. dear God let this contract end so I can drop this company. three months of awful awful services, billing errors, long outages and continually messed up equipment. yay for att!
Graystoke

join:2006-03-24
Stockton, CA

Re: att sucks

Wow. I've never had any billing errors or long outages in all the years I've had U-verse. No problems with WiFi either. I have had some problems with equipment, STB/DVR, and 2Wire gateway had to be replaced, but those issues were resolved very quickly.

Review by cybrog See Profile

• Location: Westbrook,Middlesex,CT
Good "Installation went very well."
Bad "Speed is inconsistant."
Overall "Better than my old DSL"

I ordered U-Verse Downstream speed up to 18 Mbps with10 additional email addresses at introductory price of $28 monthly (50%discount) for 1 year. Ordering and installation was a breeze.

Previous speed test as follows.
Last result for your IP:
15519/941 Kbps

Speed test results just completed now.
3059/945 Kbps

Only problem I had was 1 laptop needed wireless driver update to be able to connect to Motorola NVG510.

Comments:

Review by Chris 313 See Profile

• Location: Houma,Terrebonne,LA
Good "Every channel I had from my Comcast TV service for at least 30 bucks less. A DVR that can tape 4 shows at once."
Bad "Less then stellar HD feeds, currently limited HSI speeds vs cable. Very Frustrating pre-setup"
Overall "AT&T U-Verse TV service is the best bang for my buck! Excellent features over Comcast"

·Vonage
·Comcast Digital ..
I’ve been thinking about getting U-Verse for a while at least for TV since Comcast has been failing me in features, DVR hard drive size, and the big one: Price. My triple Play package will be going up by 30 bucks once the deal is over. Their DVR is too small, limiting the amount of recording I could save and limiting the number of shows I could record at one time. As of yesterday 12/9/10, I went to the mall and to the AT&T store to get U-Verse TV set up. There began a very frustrating pre-set up. I got a woman named Lena. They had complaints about my ID and several false starts ensued until they decided they could use my ID. I was fed bunk about not being able to get TV service only and had to bundle it with Internet too.

I called her on it, as if you look online, you can get a package with TV only. Though I was kind of tempted to get 24/3 U-Verse internet since Comcast hasn’t upgraded me yet and I’m still at 8/2. I still hate to be talked into things that I don’t want at the time. Next thing that almost had me walking out was my being told that to even get service, I had to do Autopay for 6 months and if I wouldn’t that, she couldn’t set me up. (I’m still awaiting confirmation on that since those saleswomen already lied to me once about a channel I wanted added to my package.) I refused at first, but relented as I didn’t want to waste everything I did to get service started up until that point. But I was not happy in the slightest. I got 95% of everything I wanted channel wise in the package I chose, U-450. I wanted Anime Network On Demand added to my package. They looked at me funny and insisted it was part of my package and couldn’t or wouldn’t look further for it, though it’s possible in my frustration, I might’ve mis-explained it, and I really should’ve wrote it down. Another add-on I wanted was said to be included in my package, but I don’t think so. I’m still on the fence about it anyway and could do without it and save my 5 bucks. No matter as you’ll read below.

After getting things set up, choice of install dates came up and as I wanted to get rid of Comcast TV as soon as possible. Going from my friend’s U-Verse install, I was expecting at least a week delay. Instead, I got an install date for 12/10/10 for between 1-3 pm. I was shocked and happy. Still, I left angry since I had a feeling things were going to go wrong. I came home, looked up the Anime Network On Demand channel and it wasn’t a part of my package like they had insisted. I talked to a Tier 2 tech named, Matt. He got me squared away and did what he could to help me get that forced Autopay situation handled.

Lovely tech support and my pre-set up with U-Verse would’ve went much smoother and faster if he had been behind the counter and talking to me face to face.

That brings us to today.

12/10/10

I was awakened by a phone call at 8:33 am from the outside tech, Barry. He said he’d be there in 15 minutes. He showed up, replaced my NID and some wiring and was getting in his truck and driving off by 9:40 am. The first part of the install went swimmingly and I was happy. Now all that was left was to wait a few hours for the tech that was going to come do my inside work. 10 minutes after Barry left, I got another call from the 2nd tech, JB. He asked me if he could come do the install earlier then my appointment time window. I told him come on down! I was thrilled. He told me he’d be there in about an hour. He arrived at 10:43 am, introduced himself and got to looking at my set up. I was planning on reusing the cable my Comcast TV service was on if it was possible. He went and traced the wires and tested the signal and things were fine. I was also told that I was 1,054 feet from the VRAD and on the 32/5 profile. The best there is, or so I was told. A little wiring work later, he went back to his truck and brought in a 2Wire 3800HGV-B model Residential Gateway unit and a Cisco IPN4320 DVR STB. He unhooked the Comcast DVR and I was shocked to see AT&Ts boxes are about half the size of the Comcast box.

The install was neat, clean and works real well. I have an even better SD picture then I had with Comcast’s TV service

It took about 5 minutes for the boxes to boot and then things got working. I was definitely blown by the difference in channel line up that I’ll have to relearn, but, eh. I’m a tech. I’ll figure it out (or at least my favorite channels in short order) soon. I also found out after hooking it to an HD monitor I have that the box switches resolutions between my SDTV Tube TV and my HDTV monitor. Too bad I can’t watch 2 different channels on each hookup while doing that. When watching the HD hook up, I see what others have said about U-Verse HD quality with the blurriness and slightly blocky picture. Though by the time I get an actual HDTV, they’ll have probably improved things further.

Before JB left, I checked on Anime Network On Demand and found it not working, though it kicked in a bit after he left. So far, I’m great now. All my channels are working and I’m loving the change. AT&T U-Verse TV is well worth my money and I’m glad I switched. He left at 12:30 pm. The install went well and the only thing that’s off is the fact my VCR wasn’t hooked back up, but I can do it myself later. So, no harm.

A few hours after the install, I got back in touch with Matt of Tier 2 and told him about things and he informed me that although I had 4HD channels available to me, I could only record 3 and watch 1 on another TV, which isn’t possible since only one TV is hooked up to the service. I tested it earlier and was able to record all 4 channels on the one box like I had originally wanted. This shocked him as he thought I wasn’t in a test area for that feature. (I had read on another forum that recording 4 channels was being sent to each new customer from the beginning instead of an upgrade.) So I picked a great time to sign up, eh?

The remote and various things like setting up series recordings and search will take some getting used to, but I’m rapidly adapting and I love the service. I should’ve switched before now.

The actual techs that serviced me and Matt at Tier 2 were exceptional

I’ll be dumping Comcast TV on Monday now that I’m hooked up. I’ll be updating this review when I find out what my next bill is and what the Autopay situation is.

Update: 12/15/10

Just got access to the U-Verse site and set everything up. Was able to cancel my Autopay. It remains to be seen if it'll effect anything. I believe that the lady doing my pre-order set up was lying to me saying that Auto pay is mandatory for 6 months.

Update: 12/18/10

Got a piece of mail from AT&T saying that my now canceled Autopay was approved and a warning that any services requiring Autopay, if Autopay was canceled, service would be shut off and if service is terminated, would incur ETFs, etc. If this is true, with others having U-Verse service and others without forced Autopay. I won't pay any fees and might even consider going back to Comcast if my service is shut off for something as stupid as forcing Autopay, when I fully intend to pay my bill every month without it.

Update: 12/20/10

I was just watching one of my recordings and have finally seen what others have mentioned with pixelation and micro-blocking. It was nasty. Their faces were blurred out during this few seconds. Though, this was on the SD version of the channel, HD may be better. I'll have to do some testing. Still, it's not bad enough for me to get overly pissed about it. Their DVR box is enough to keep me on the service for a long while. Being able to record 4 shows at once is too addicting to switch.

Update: 2/3/11

Since the last update, I've had the service for over a month now and I like it. I've since dropped all add on packages like Anime Network on Demand, and just went with the U-450 as it is out of the box to save the 7 dollars in add ons I was spending. I was gonna go with the HD add on package of channels in addition to the Anime Network on Demand package, so I could get the Funimation Channel, but decided against it. I'm glad I did as just as I was making the decision, U-Verse ran a week of everything they had to offer for free. So I got to see just what the HD package I was gonna order was like. I wasn't too impressed. And the Funimation Channel offered 2 shows that I wanted, but could get on DVD or Hulu anytime I chose. So here I am. Matt from Tier 2 was very helpful in getting me squared away and off I go. I've also paid my first month's bill since then and have basically shown that woman at the mall to be a liar. I don't have to have mandatory autopay like she insisted I did. Instead, I pay it with my bank's bill pay service and haven't heard a peep out of AT&T about it. My 6 month promo is up in June, so we'll see then if I make any changes to my TV package or service in general.

Update: 7/8/11

This month, my 6 month U-Verse TV promotion expired and my bill went from 113 to 124. The expected price increase to 117 happened and the rest was just fees and taxes. I don't use a lot of the channels such as HBO and others, so I decided to cut my package down to something below 100 bucks that doesn't have premium channels included. Since I watch only maybe 20-30 channels regularly, I looked for a package with those and went from U-450 (their top package with every Premium channel) down to U-200. It has everything that I use of the U-450 package, and nothing I don't. I'll also save 25 if not more, dollars a month from the switch. Don't know what my exact bill will be now. but it will be less then 100 bucks. I'm expecting around 80 or slightly less.

Also, on the 5th, I got the fabled Phase 3 update and my DVR matches what Comcast had in terms of being able to see how much recording space my DVR has left without having to go through a bunch of menus first. It is a bit slower, though. And they changed the fast forward controls. Can't say I like that, but it's an extra hit on the button and the slowness? Maybe it's just me. We'll see.

Will update when I get my latest bill in with the U-200 plan changes.

Update: 9/22/12

Wednesday night at 7:30 pm, my RG lost connection and I was left with a blinking red light. I can't use my TV service for the time being. I suspect the RG is fried. This will have been the second RG to break since I got my service on 12/10/10.

I'm awaiting replacement and will update with how that goes.

Update: 9/24/12

After a bit of a false start with Tech support, I got an appointment for 9/24/12 for them to send a tech out about my issue. Talked to a nice guy named Travis, who to my shock, said that it wasn't my RG as I thought, but that there was a break in the line between the VRAD and my home wiring. Whether or not it was at my house wasn't known at the time.

I gleaned an appointment from 12-4 pm. At 3:22 PM, an inside tech named Jason came and a few minutes into running his tests says that I'm dead at the house and it isn't my house wiring. So they have to get a line tech into the mix as there is nothing more Jason can do on his end. He leaves after this and I'm waiting for the Line tech to come.

At 4:11 PM, the Line tech, Mike calls. We talked for a few minutes and I surprised him with my knowledge of the setup, as regular customers don't know these things. I'm not your regular customer as I make it my business to know everything I can about a given tech as it helps with troubleshooting.

About 4:30, he comes, tells me that he's got good signal down the road, so it must be the box closer to my house. 100 feet away line wise is the box that my wires connect to. He goes and opens that up and low and behold. There is a pair of cut wires that lead back to my home and the reason why I've not got service. They weren't labeled as active either. So he hooks they back up and hopefully labeled them as he said he would do and he runs his tests while I go back inside and check things on my end.

By the time I get back in, my TV is already playing live, DVR hasn't come up yet. But after a few minutes, everything is working. By 5:00, it's like nothing happened and I'm catching up on my missed TV eps.

I also got a credit on my account for the days that I wasn't able to use my service. I need a real case of bad weather to really put the repair work through it's paces, but I'm happy and hope that I don't have any more problems for a good while.

Update: 1/13/14

Well, on 12/10/13, it's been my 3 year anniversary with U-Verse TV. It's been quite a ride so far. 2 box swaps and an RG later, here I still am. Though, maybe not for much longer. There is a price increase coming at the end of the month. I'll be looking for a Promo. If I don't get one, I'll be shopping around to carry out my threat of leaving. I have no interest in U-Verse phone or their slower internet. Cable has been making good strides in catching up to the TV service that snagged me. So we'll see.

We'll see where it goes from here. And I'll update with whatever I find out.

member for 10 years, 5888 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

nacho

@172.56.6.x

att uverse customer service SUCKS

We called these people to get service from them. We after they gave a time and date I had to ask for half a day off work. We these people decided to call me after I got home at about seven pm the day before to tell me they couldn't come afterall and sorry for the inconvenience. So here I am with 1/2 day off work wasted . These company sucks and by the way I tried calling them and guess what I was connected to someone in India. This is crap. ATTSucks

Review by tperl See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "quick and easy install, schedule dvr on att.net"
Bad "rebate issues, cost of additional boxes, price increases"
Overall "worth it"

Found out Uverse was available so I signed up. Quick and easy install. Installer was very professional and knowledgeable. Signed up for U200 and 3mb. I did not get the rebate amount that was promised but they mailed me a visa gift card when I called to complain. Cable co here is Insight which has been filling my mailbox with offers almost daily. Standard 2wire modem and VIP1225 for Dvr. I have had the tv picture freeze up for a few seconds several times but not that big of a deal. (Blacklick 43004)

update 11/11/09
Everything still working fine but I am moving soon. I think uverse is available where I am moving but I am just going to cancel and turn in the equipment. Will set up install at new place at some point if available and update review.

update 4/27/10
Install was done at new place awhile ago. Everything basically same as before other than price increase. (New Albany 43054)

update 2/28/11
Just moved again and this time uverse is not available. Overall I was satisfied with the service we had although they just raised the price pretty significantly. We told them when we called to cancel that we were doing so because of the price increase.

update 7/2012
Moved into a temporary rental house and had a new install. Tech gave us a wireless receiver for our 2nd tv for no extra charge. Signed up for U300, don't recall internet speed but speedtest.net showing 10 mbps dl. Approx $100 per/mo for a 6 month promo with no contract. (Columbus 43209)

update 12/31/12
Just purchased a home (no more moving!) and had the previous service transferred. Tech came out and had to run a new drop from the pole while it was snowing. He did a great job with the crappy conditions he had to deal with, weather, bad house wiring etc. They extended my promo rate for another 6 months. (Columbus 43209)

update 11/9/13
Due to a large price increase we dropped uverse and switched to wow. They tried dropping me from u300 to u200 and lowering the internet speed and the retention rep still wanted $15 more per month and wanted me to agree to a 1 year contract. It seems the reps don't even try until you say the word "cancel". We did not have any issues with the service other than price increases.

Comments:

Review by uberroot See Profile

• Location: Saratoga,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Quite reliable and stable, reasonably priced..compared to comcast"
Bad "Upload is really slow, no ADSL2+, nothing faster than 18/1.5"
Overall "Need more options/Fiber/self install"

Moved here in August and had issues with co-ax wiring in the house so ditched comcast and moved to Uverse which was available in the area. Price is lower than comparable comcast product. Install took longer than i needed.. it took me 10 days to get online, since ATT insists on technician install. This is really inconvenient since i use voip for phone service.

1.5 mbps is upload is okay for browsing and working but not for photo/video upload, it takes for ever to upload a bunch of photos from a trip to flickr.

Comments:

Review by shamelin See Profile

• Location: Naperville,Du Page,IL
Good "Very pleased. "
Overall "great service for the price."

U300 with the MaxPlus internet.
The door to door sale person was nice as it was new to the area. It was not available at the time I moved in.
the GW is a 3801HGV - 2Wire and the DVR is the Cisco ISB7500

Install was quick ran new cat5 to the living room from the NID. I did have to have a service call to clean up the line after a couple weeks. Service is great and no down time other then the repair today.

Comments:

Rusty

@sbcglobal.net

What a Joke

I call ATT about internet and they ask what will I be using the internet for. I inform them basic email and Netflix including 3d. They tell me 6mbs speed will work just fine for this, so I get it upgraded. Tech shows up and makes proper adjustments but 3d not working. He informed me I needed at least 12mbs to make this work. Lie after lie and when I call about a problem with my internet never working, I end up speaking to people in India or the Philippians who I cant understand. I made a huge mistake choosing ATT and will rectify the problem soon. If you want internet that actually works and you want to get the speed you pay for, DO NOT CHOOSE ATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Review by gagem44 See Profile

• Location: Howell,Livingston,MI
Good "Ha what a joke nothing."
Bad "Everything, literally everything."
Overall "This service is the purest forum of cancer."

> If you like gaming stay away.

> If you like T.V. stay away.

> If you like home phones stay away.

Problem 1. with AT&T U-Verse is their "Dynamic IPs" Which are anything but they're practically Static; the reason this is a problem is because if you game a lot, then I hope you don't like having internet 99.999999% of the time due to people ddosing other people. It's not rare at all to get ddosed; not even close. Once someone online decides to ddos you I hope you don't like anything digital or working for a matter of fact. Due to AT&T's Sticky Dynamic IP system your IP is as good as yours might as well not even buy a static IP; but back to what I was saying if you get ddosed then you T.V., Internet, and home phone will go down. Since the IP is practically static and will not change, there's nothing you can do about the attack your stuck without service until the attack subsides which the person attacking can do it for how ever long they want. So if you get attacked by a ddoser then you as good as Fu**ed

Problem 2. with AT&T U-Verse is the fact that you don't get what you pay for I paid for their 24Mbps and I'm hardly getting 15Mbps on a good day. Not to mention the ping is like over 100MS. Also they enjoy doing the bare minimal they broadcast 720p to you and slap the H.D. T.V. label on it. While other company's broadcast full 1080p without trouble AT&T can hardly get 720p without it constantly glitching and dropping.

Problem 3. with AT&T U-Verse is their customer service I've had countless people hang up on me, I wasn't even being rude or irate to them then have the ones that don't hang up tell me they don't know what's wrong with the service. Not to mention all 6 techs that came out didn't even know what ddos was. Like holy Sh*t you're a tech how do you not know basic networking?

Problem 4. Their modem/routers they don't save settings half the time...

Problem 5. Their T.V. service in general. The remote is like 5-10 seconds delayed reaction when controlling the T.V./T.V. box.

Problem 6. The bill literally changes monthly it ranges from like 180.00$-260.00$ it randomly goes up and down...

>>>>>>>> Wherever you get AT&T you probably get a cable company if you value your sanity go with them... It's to late for me. Can't stress this enough.

Before anyone questions how much I know about this I know AT&T is VDSL and not to expect much from it due to it's limitations but holy fu*k how shitty can you be?

Comments:

Thecomedian

join:2013-12-09

You pissed someone off.

There is the question on "how the attacker obtained your IP address again". The only way that would happen is if your name (or your known alias) is left somewhere with your IP address, such as a message board or game server, AND the attacker is on that same service and has it out for you. (Or one of your family members).

You might want to try a different approach and see what "triggers" the DDOS once you get a new IP, and perhaps being able to pinpoint the attacker. AT&T might be able to assist you with an IP change, but they aren't going to do it if you call once a month because the attacker found you again.

First, investigate HOW exactly they find you, through what service, before you ask for an IP change.

Re: You pissed someone off.

Multiple places, on a game server through steam, skype; anywhere truly. "AT&T might be able to assist you with an IP change" > When I read that I laughed and this would just keep happening it's not just one person. The fact the have to fight for an IP change is a tell tale sign of a shi**y ISP.

Howell, MI
Also you got most of that from this
»Re: Changing my IP. (Being DDOS'd)

Thecomedian

join:2013-12-09

Re: You pissed someone off.

Yes, I did. Just do a little research and be nice to people online, and I am sure the problem will fix itself. A simple reboot will give you a new ip.

Re: You pissed someone off.

Ha only if it were that easy. I thank you for at least trying to give me tips but I tried everything under the moon :P

Review by dcmehl See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "Price is a little better than DSL, voice, and DirecTV from AT&T"
Bad "HD TV is not as good as DirecTV"
Overall "I moved off of AT&T DSL, which they are not supporting very well."

I have been with U-Verse for 2-3 years now and the ups and downs as an Internet Connection have continued. The techs (who typically are great) have told me that the copper in my neighborhood is old and fairly cut up. My downlink is spliced several times, and when the service gets bad I have to get them out to repunch down the splices. There have also been issues with the internal house wiring. The last visit they pulled all my coax and moved my home service to cat 5 which has helped tremendously. I have fairly high downlink speeds; around 4 MB. My uplink runs under 1 MB but is good enough. All in all, I am sticking with AT&T because there is no better alternative for the price. I could switch to cable...

I am not happy with the U-Verse TV and am considering switching back to DirecTV soon.

First review from 2-3 years ago.

I've been a 10+ year user of AT&T DSL and fairly happy with that service. However, the DSL service in our area has been failing more often lately. The service techs claimed that AT&T was moving off the technology and they had poor local support. I decided to move my POTS and DSL onto U-Verse and pickup my TV as well (which had been on DirecTV) when they made me a price offer I could not pass up.

The order and setup process was fairly easy. I went with 6 M down and 1M up Internet Access speeds, which has been plenty for me on DSL. I had been getting about 4.8 M up and 0.6 Mb down on DSL.

The install was fairly smooth however it did take about 5 hours.

I did keep my DirecTV working for now alongside the U-Verse. I'm glad I did. All the TV boxes failed soon after the install. My reboots of the system did not help.

There is a chance that I had changed something incorrectly in the 2Wire 3801 Gateway since I am running my own router behind the 2Wire. I did not want to resetup my Home Network which is fairly complex and I did not want to give up my use of OpenDNS. My speed tests for the same tier Internet service now are running 5.5 M down and 0.9 up.

It took an onsite visit from tech support to get TV up and running correctly the next day. He reset the GW to out-of-box settings and then rebooted the entire system. I then very carefully setup my router-behind-router after the tech left planning to back that off if anything failed. However, the GW and my Internet setup have been working fine since then, as has the TV service.

The U-Verse Internet and Voice phone have been fine. The TV service has been working OK for several days (since the tech left). I have seen a couple of reboots of the TV Box, which is a Motorola VIP 1216. I do have a 2nd TV box hooked up to my SD TV, but I am rarely using it anymore and can not saw how well it is working.

Although we are mostly watching TV off of U-Vverse and ar fairly happy with it, I have yet to turn off my DirecTV service. I want to get a couple weeks of stable service under my belt before I give up DirecTV. And when my 12 month cheap contract with U-Verse is finished, I may decide to keep the Internet and phone on U-Verse and split my TV back to DirecTV or Dish Network.

Comments:

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
·Vonage

had issues with u-verse tv also

My parents are on the west side of Houston off of Dairy Ashford and Briar Forest and had constant issues with U-Verse tv dropping or signal pixelating. At&t was out numerous times checking and rewiring from the ped in the yard all the way to the tv boxes and we still had issues. They eventually said cancel the tv service and went back to DirecTV. They have had no issues with DirecTV and still use U-Verse for VDSL and phone and have had no issues with either ever.

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

Listen

@bhn.net

AT&T uverse

At first, it seemed like a great deal, same service options as Brighthouse with a considerable lower monthly price. Upon our first bill, which was over $200.00 (which was supposed to be $129.00 before taxes) we called to figure out why. After explaining the issue the coaster service representative stated there was nothing he could do and that's just our bill. We tole him we wanted to speak to a manager and he began to yell at us saying "he's not going to tell you nothing I didn't". So after arguing with him for about ten minutes he finally transferred us to a manager. Who told us our bill was about $160.00 and that's what we agreed on. We told him that's not what we agree on as we have our contract in front of us, he stared he didn't know. He was very condescending. So I told him we were over it and just wanted to cancel our service so he transferred us to someone else. This guy told us if we faxed our contract we would lower our bill to whatnots said, however, I was over AT&T at this point and told them I wouldn't use their service if they gave it to me for free. Then he told me to drive to UPS and send their equptiment back. I told them it wasn't right to have someone to that and they should send a tech to pick it up. He said we would be charged if we didn't.

The worst company and customer service I have ever encountered!!!!!! STAY AWAY from AT&T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless you like getting treated like a piece of crap!!!!

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

Re: AT&T uverse

if you guys have billing or sales complaints with uverse we take those in direct and assign (sp?- I am thinking i misspelled that sorry!). I have an entire team that works on those, and usually with good results.

Review by ymhee_bcex See Profile

• Location: Tarzana,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Voice quality with third party VOIP provider better than cable"
Bad "Gateway (modem) outdated; support incompetent"
Overall "decide for yourself, what's important"

·PHONE POWER
·VOIPO
Initial review - January, 2013

I had internet from Time Warner for 5 years. However, it looks like my voice communications (Voipo, Google Voice, my home PBX) all suffered all suffered poor voice quality. So, I tried AT&T U-Verse. The price is about the same. Voice quality notably improved.

The installation was terribly mis-coordinated. It was scheduled for 3 weeks ahead (strange, but OK). I got the gateway in mail (from 2Wire, which is now acquired by Pace, and you can't find manuals for this thing. Also, the device is huge). On the day of installation got a call from field tech that everything is connected, and I can go ahead. Well, it wasn't. First, support guy said that they didn't update the system, and I should try next morning. Next morning it still wasn't working, and they had to dispatch another field tech. The guy came within an hour (nice!) and fixed everything. I have no idea what the first guy did since AT&T box was actually inside my garage.

The bigger problem is what I see with DSL equipment in general. The gateway includes router and wireless that can't be turned off. Wireless is b/g and the signal is dead beyond 10ft (literally, I am not exaggerating). And the wired router is 100Mbs, which is slow for streaming HD video to the TV. So, I had to reconfigure my router to be an Access Point. For some people it's not a big deal (using built-in router, that is; reconfiguring is *always* big deal). But I had advanced functionality on the router that I was using, so using crippled built-in router is quite annoying.

That said, voice quality improved significantly, so until Time Warner makes the fixes, I am stuck with AT&T

=== Update: December 25, 2013 ===

It has been a year, and "1-year promotion" was over. I called AT&T Customer Retention department and asked if they wanted to keep me as a customer. They certainly did! They (1) extended $30/mo price for another year; (2) doubled the bandwidth for this price; and (3) the technician came *the next business day* and replaced the modem with 5031NV.

I can't find a manual for 5031, there is no way to *really* turn off the router on it - but at least it gives decent wireless signal.

Comments:

ILpt4U
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL

If internet only...

There is a U-Verse Internet Only Modem Only device out there, as long as you do not have a Static IP Block on your account. The Motorola/Arris 2310 is a single pair VDSL2 "modem only" device, no wireless, and minimal if no router functionality.

That being said, if you use the 2Wire/Pace's "DMZ+" mode, and plug in a 3rd party router to the 2Wire/Pace, it will pass the Public IP to that device, and you can also disable the 2Wire/Pace's WiFi as well. No, it is not a true "bridge mode" but it does get fairly close, functionality wise

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
·PHONE POWER
·VOIPO

Re: If internet only...

On first point, it is probably geography-specific. At least I asked very specifically for a modem like that (although, I didn't mention a specific model by name, since I obviously didn't know about it) - and the guy who seemed very knowledgeable said that they didn't have a residential gateway like that and the best way is to put a router in DMZ (similar to what you are describing)

On your second point there is a looooong (18-page long) thread on AT&T forum: »forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Ga···/2707755 Some of the questions are really clueless; but the main point is exactly the same. For me it is occasionally not good enough - I am setting up and testing IP phone and "double-NATting" (that is, two different network segments) introduces another variable into the picture that I'd rather not have.

But I learned to live with it for the last year...
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues