AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by brockalee See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Duval,FL
Good "Reliability, Upstream, Firewall, Programming, Features & Intuitive Interface, No Contract"
Bad "May cost more than some other options, cap is comming, uses mail by yahoo,"
Overall "I'm happy with the service and don't feel like I'm getting ripped off."

I started with Comcast, paid a lot, hated the DVR and I went to DirecTV.

With DirecTV, I liked it.. But I kept Comcast for the internet. Plus there were clouds to deal with..

Now I have U-verse @ 6Mb and their lowest level HD package, HD DVR receivers and two additional standard receivers (that can watch the DVR programming) for $133/mo.

I was paying more for the 8 or 10Mb, but honestly I'm fine with the 6Mb - and that surprised me. Torrents go around 900KB/s when there are lots of seeds.

I will try the VOIP when it is available to me. I'd recommend this service.

Comments:

Review by sam98177 See Profile

• Location: Orange,Orange,CA
Good "Clear picture, whole house DVR (1 main, 4 additional), stable internet (10 mb), cheaper TV package than Dish or Cable"
Bad "TV picture sometimes lag or pixilates, can't set recording from other receivers"
Overall "TV, Internet & Phone better than cable or satelite in pricing, stability and quality"

I've used COX and Time-Warner for all services. I've used Dishnetwork for TV. The order and install process is the same for all. I consistently had service problems with Time-Warner; Internet stability was not good; if Internet went down, so did telephone. Quality of TV was poor on many channels with Cable compare to good quality of Dish or Uverse. Quality of tech or customer supports is poor with all companies, although no need for tech support, yet, with Uverse.

Comments:

Review by ALFinet See Profile

• Location: Fontana,San Bernardino,CA
Good "Speed, Price, Picture Quaility, Quick Install"
Bad "STBs freeze while watching TV, can't customize network info"
Overall "Will update next month"

-- Pre U-verse availability --
After my many connection problems with Adelphia, and then Time Warner cable I switched to AT&T DSL (elite, 6Mbps/768K). AT&T DSL was rock solid for over a year and never disconnected. I was getting speeds of 5Mbps/512K (due to my distance maybe?)

As I noticed the VRADs were installed and had power I checked online and it allowed me to place an order for U-Verse (3 days after my order, I received an e-mail notification that it was available in my area).

-- Online Ordering --
The online ordering process was simple to follow yet confusing because I wasn't sure what package I wanted. After matching what I had with Time Warner Cable to AT&T channel line up, the U200 had all the channels we watched with cable, plus more HD. I ordered online, which gave me $10/mo off my internet price, and a $200 rebate that I'm supposed to receive after the 1st month.

-- Package Selection & Provided Equipment --
Programming Profile: 2 HD / 2 SD
Basic Service Level: U200
Added High Definition (HD) channels: Yes (additional $10)
Internet Max 18 - Up to 18.0 Mbps downstream and up to 1.5 Mbps upstream

Router/Gateway (RG): 3800HGV-B Gateway (Software: 5.29.105.94)
DVR STB (1 total): Motorola VIP 1216 ( »www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/···16_US-EN )
TV STBs (6 total): Motorola VIP 1200 ( »www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/···00_US-EN )

-- Installation --
Since I have Fridays off, I scheduled installation for the next Friday (January 16th). The tech called at 8am saying he would be there at 8:30am. Once arriving he stated he checked the premises and said he would be back in 20 to 30 minutes because he had to go to the VRAD to switch the cables over. About 25 minutes later, he returned. We started where my DSL modem was and he replaced 2 port phone the outlet with a 4 port one- 2 ports for DATA, 2 for POTS. He also had to bond two pairs of copper phone line together at both the DMZ and where the wall outlet was. From here we ran Cat 5 with a RJ45 jack on it from the wall outlet to the RG.

Then we connected the router to my existing network, and using the coax line I had for my cable internet many months ago, we fed the TV signal back to the splitter for the rest of the house.

-- TVs --
All STBs except the one in my room was connected via coax. The tech had to replace most of the ends on all coax in the house because it wouldn't work properly for the signal the way they were. I cannot tell the difference between the coax STBs and the Ethernet STB!

The STBs respond almost instantly to commands- even changing the channel is QUICKER than regular cable. The Adelphia/Time Warner STBs were a joke- the button responses were slow to non-existant sometimes.

I cannot stress enough about the quality on ALL channels! I have never seen picture and sound so clear! Lately I find myself watching the HD channels on non-HD TVs as these STBs will down size the picture to fit the TV. Even my 20+ year old Zenith in the garage looks like it's a HD picture. The only down fall is the non-DVR STBs can NOT pause/rewind live TV. However- you can pause/rewind/fast-forward any recorded show from ANY STB!

The only problem is that you can only have 2 incoming HD streams and 2 SD streams at once- if you try to watch any other channel you'll be informed of this situation and it gives you options to either watch an item from the DVR or turn off the other STB.

-- DVR capability --
The storage capacity in the DVR box is massive compared to the measly 20 hours of HD my Time Warner box gave me. You can only do DVR functions such as setting schedules, view upcoming, etc etc from the main DVR box OR from online!

-- Internet --
I was pretty happy with my AT&T DSL, the U-Verse Internet is fast. Speakeasy speed tests put me right where I'm supposed to be. If all the TVs are off I see 25Mbps/2Mbps- when people are watching TV I'm getting NO-less than 18Mbps/1Mbps.

-- Hardware --
The Router/Gateway provided seems sturdy enough. But as with more "simple" setups, I do not have options in this router to set my own DNS servers (I use OpenDNS). You also cannot change the DHCP range. I will have to for-go my OpenDNS unless I manually enter it into my devices.

-- Final Thoughts --
So far I am very pleased with the U-Verse service- The cost of my U-Verse service is exactly what my DSL & Cable bill together were. Hopefully being one service now I will see a reduction in taxes (but I'm not holding my breath- we'll see when the first bill gets here).

Currently the STBs like to freeze a few times an hour- A simple channel up, channel down solves the issue. While not an issue yet, I can see it will cause problems. I'm going to schedule a tech to come out and check signal next week.

Comments:

Review by clal2kjoy See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "none"
Bad "horrible customer service"
Overall "AVOID THE U-VERSE NIGHTMARE"

I am so upset with the service i received from AT&T U-verse that i am now considering dropping my mobile , house and internet services AT&T provides because i do not feel like giving money to a company that does not deserve my business any longer.

I was lied to by the door to door sales representative right off the bat. it will only be "$30, $30, $30 = $90" as part of the special promotion and for this price i would receive and extra receiver, hd programming and the 6mbps internet and my standard phone service. When the technician finally comes out, the work order is completely wrong, and they begin to tell me about all the extra costs and how the sales person does not work for them directly and it is not their problem that he lied. My total comes out to be $130 a month and on top of all that THE TV SERVICE IS RIDICULOUS. The HD channels look horrible, pixelation happens every couple of seconds during football games and the internet disconnects every time i turn on a receiver. I called tech help and was assured by them that by rebooting my gateway the problem would be solved, and it was ok for ONE day. I am canceling this service tomorrow and would URGE anyone in the Dallas area that is considering U-Verse to save themselves their time and money and headaches and stick with thier current providers. I am going back to Time Warner tomorrow!

Comments:

Review by user4275 See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Reliable, works as advertised, no long-term contract"
Bad "None, thus far"
Overall "Good value, if you're looking for a bundled Internet/TV/Phone package"

Prior to ordering U-Verse, my Internet service was provided by AT&T on the second to lowest speed tier (not sure what that's called) but it was pure agony (slower than dial-up) as I am 16,000 ft from the CO. My TV service provider was Comcast, and my home phone service has been with AT&T as well. After the installation of a VRAD approx. 900 ft from my residence, I proceeded to order U-Verse (TV and Internet) on 11/20/08. The install date was 12/10/08. Had I opted to include phone service in U-Verse, the install date would have been pushed into January 2009 which I didn't want, so I left the phone service out of the package.

I am now on the U-200 package (plus HDTV) including Elite Broadband (6/1) for Internet service. Needless to say that I am now surfing the web at speeds I have never before experienced at home, so there is really no fair basis to compare. On the TV side, I am receiving 2 HD streams and 2 standard streams. Very pleased with that so far, except the audio occasionally skips for a split second, but nothing that would annoy me major league.

As a result of not having my phone service on U-Verse, I had a problem with really bad static for about a month which was subsequently remedied by AT&T, after the holidays. Turns out, prior to installing U-Verse, AT&T overlooked that they had to remove a bridge tap on the pole behind my house. Once, that was taken care of, the static on the phone was gone. Overall, a very pleasant experience dealing with AT&T, and U-Verse is an enjoyable product, so far.

member for 11 years, 2086 visits, last login: 30 days ago

Comments:

Review by trothatl See Profile

• Location: Decatur,Dekalb,GA
Good "Good price, cool features, if they ever get around to installing it"
Bad "Installer never showed up, nonexistent customer service"
Overall "Don't waste your time - horrible customer service"

I was excited about the roll-out of U-verse in Atlanta, but it's been impossible to get an installer here even though my order was accepted over two weeks ago. The installer did not show up for the scheduled appointment. I called customer service and after the rep spent a half hour trying to find out why the install never showed up, she told me she would have to re-place the order and give me a new appointment time. However, she said she would have to call me back several hours later with a new time. I asked to speak with a supervisor and I was told none were available. She refused to let me hold until one was available despite my insistence. She never called me back.

The next day I called customer service again. I was told my order had been closed out and I would have to go through the ordering process again and it would be at least another week before an installer could come out. I asked to speak with a supervisor and this time I was put through to one. He asked why I wanted to cancel my order and I explained that I was trying to get the order fulfilled. After 40 minutes of him putting me on and taking me off of hold while he checked with dispatch, I finally asked him to call me back. He promised to call me back as soon as he had my installation scheduled. That was 24 hours ago and, of course, no return call.

I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Comments:

Review by missionbbs See Profile

• Location: Derby,New Haven,CT
Good "Fair price for the 10Meg speed"
Bad "Sound for there internet phone could be clearer"
Overall "Not bad for there price with all the features."

I have the AT&T U-Verse Internet and U-Verse Internet phone service.
For the price I pay it is a bargan, the phone end could be clearer.
If I did not get the 10Meg speed it would be $69.00 a month for 3 Meg speed,
for $20.00 more get the 10 Meg speed.

Derby CT

Comments:

Review by donkeycooter See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
Good "Great Price, Great Technology, Best bang for the buck"
Bad "occasional freezing glitches"
Overall "I wish this was available at my other home in Santa Cruz"

First Report after two weeks of service

We recently moved to Sacramento, CA for a consulting job and found out that U-verse was available. At my permanent residence in Santa Cruz, we have a choice of minimal HD with Comcast, or Satellite without Local HD Channels. I've read the complaints about U-verse HD Quality but it doesn't even compare to worse HD quality of Comcast in Santa Cruz. Some of the same network channels are bad like CBS. Anyway, I'm enjoying everything I had from Comcast + 50% more channels, Better DVR, and nearly half the price. Comcast does beat them on the On Demand HD. The internet seems fine and reasonably priced, but Comcast always had great internet for me. I didn't get the phone since it was going to delay the install by two weeks. I just went for a skype home phone number for the telemarketers and our usual cell phones for everything else.

Comments:

Review by Clo4 See Profile

• Location: Hollywood,Broward,FL
Good "Speed / Standard Definition TV Picture Looks Great"
Bad "Terrible Customer Service / HD Quality Looks Awful"
Overall "If you can deal with crappy tech support and bad HD quality this service is for you."

Order was placed on 12-3-08 after a DSL tech had advised me that U-Verse was available. The service was to be installed on 12-8-08.

12-08-08 U-Verse tech shows. He quickly checks for a signal and tells me its a no go since I still had DSL service. Rescheduled for 12-10-08. That right still a no go. Rescheduled for 12-18-08.

12-18-08 that’s right the tech blows me off. Not even a phone call. The support promises to have someone out on 12-24-08.

12-24-08 8PM still no call no show Lovely.

12-26-08 I get a call that someone will be out on 12-28-08.

12-28-08 tech shows up and laughs at me telling to reschedule at which point I told him to cancel. He quickly gets on the horn and makes things happen. 6 hours later U-Verse was installed and he was on his way. That night we start to have TV picture quality issues when watching HD. Support tech was called and told me he would have someone on 12-30-08.

12-30-08 tech shows up . He looks around and checks the phone jack with his handheld test. He walks outside and never comes back in. Awesome !!!. Called support who was extremely nice and apologetic and promised me a call back from a supervisor. Supervisor promptly calls back and says he will have someone come back and resolve the issue.

12-31-08 No call No Show.

1-8-09 Tech calls me that he will be there in 30 minutes. Tech promptly shows up and starts testing the line. Sure enough there were errors. He replaces almost every single component up to the nid outside my home. Even after all that the HD picture looks terrible on both my HDTV's. He runs another test and the quality was worse than when he started. He calls for an ST to come out.20 Minutes later the ST was at the front door. He quickly replaces the EBN and Power protector on the NID. Still the signal is a no go. He walks over to the VRAD and replaces a wire. Still a no go. The ST then tells me that the HD picture that is being displayed on my TV looks great and that was as good as it can get. I look and laughed at him and tell him to compare my OTA HD picture and then look at your Crappy HD picture. He doesn't like where I was taking the conversation and quickly makes a B line for the exit. Mean while the U-Verse tech is on the horn with a level 2 support that tells him that she is going to lunch and will be back in one hour. It is now 8:30 in the evening and I tell the poor guy to call it a day. He gets up and starts packing his things while still being on the phone with level 2. She suggested that I call back and get some sort of credit for the service. Over all I am not happy with the service. The HD sucks at best. The Internet Service has lots of latency compared to my DSL service. Customer Service Sucks. Dish Network Here I Come!!!!

Comments:

Review by wirphotos See Profile

• Location: Green Bay,Brown,WI
Good "Better value, faster internet, receive all channels on all tv's!"
Bad "Install takes to long, customer service sucks"
Overall "Great value, superb service!"

I switched from Time Warner Cable. It was either DSL or U-Verse. We have the U200 Package, the slowest internet and 4 boxes.

The order was easy, the install was painful. Failed to show up on install date and was 4 hours late on the make up date.

Tech went well above the call of duty and made sure everything would work right from that point forward.