AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by trothatl See Profile

• Location: Decatur,Dekalb,GA
Good "Good price, cool features, if they ever get around to installing it"
Bad "Installer never showed up, nonexistent customer service"
Overall "Don't waste your time - horrible customer service"

I was excited about the roll-out of U-verse in Atlanta, but it's been impossible to get an installer here even though my order was accepted over two weeks ago. The installer did not show up for the scheduled appointment. I called customer service and after the rep spent a half hour trying to find out why the install never showed up, she told me she would have to re-place the order and give me a new appointment time. However, she said she would have to call me back several hours later with a new time. I asked to speak with a supervisor and I was told none were available. She refused to let me hold until one was available despite my insistence. She never called me back.

The next day I called customer service again. I was told my order had been closed out and I would have to go through the ordering process again and it would be at least another week before an installer could come out. I asked to speak with a supervisor and this time I was put through to one. He asked why I wanted to cancel my order and I explained that I was trying to get the order fulfilled. After 40 minutes of him putting me on and taking me off of hold while he checked with dispatch, I finally asked him to call me back. He promised to call me back as soon as he had my installation scheduled. That was 24 hours ago and, of course, no return call.

I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Comments:

Review by missionbbs See Profile

• Location: Derby,New Haven,CT
Good "Fair price for the 10Meg speed"
Bad "Sound for there internet phone could be clearer"
Overall "Not bad for there price with all the features."

I have the AT&T U-Verse Internet and U-Verse Internet phone service.
For the price I pay it is a bargan, the phone end could be clearer.
If I did not get the 10Meg speed it would be $69.00 a month for 3 Meg speed,
for $20.00 more get the 10 Meg speed.

Derby CT

Comments:

Review by donkeycooter See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
Good "Great Price, Great Technology, Best bang for the buck"
Bad "occasional freezing glitches"
Overall "I wish this was available at my other home in Santa Cruz"

First Report after two weeks of service

We recently moved to Sacramento, CA for a consulting job and found out that U-verse was available. At my permanent residence in Santa Cruz, we have a choice of minimal HD with Comcast, or Satellite without Local HD Channels. I've read the complaints about U-verse HD Quality but it doesn't even compare to worse HD quality of Comcast in Santa Cruz. Some of the same network channels are bad like CBS. Anyway, I'm enjoying everything I had from Comcast + 50% more channels, Better DVR, and nearly half the price. Comcast does beat them on the On Demand HD. The internet seems fine and reasonably priced, but Comcast always had great internet for me. I didn't get the phone since it was going to delay the install by two weeks. I just went for a skype home phone number for the telemarketers and our usual cell phones for everything else.

Comments:

Review by Clo4 See Profile

• Location: Hollywood,Broward,FL
Good "Speed / Standard Definition TV Picture Looks Great"
Bad "Terrible Customer Service / HD Quality Looks Awful"
Overall "If you can deal with crappy tech support and bad HD quality this service is for you."

Order was placed on 12-3-08 after a DSL tech had advised me that U-Verse was available. The service was to be installed on 12-8-08.

12-08-08 U-Verse tech shows. He quickly checks for a signal and tells me its a no go since I still had DSL service. Rescheduled for 12-10-08. That right still a no go. Rescheduled for 12-18-08.

12-18-08 that’s right the tech blows me off. Not even a phone call. The support promises to have someone out on 12-24-08.

12-24-08 8PM still no call no show Lovely.

12-26-08 I get a call that someone will be out on 12-28-08.

12-28-08 tech shows up and laughs at me telling to reschedule at which point I told him to cancel. He quickly gets on the horn and makes things happen. 6 hours later U-Verse was installed and he was on his way. That night we start to have TV picture quality issues when watching HD. Support tech was called and told me he would have someone on 12-30-08.

12-30-08 tech shows up . He looks around and checks the phone jack with his handheld test. He walks outside and never comes back in. Awesome !!!. Called support who was extremely nice and apologetic and promised me a call back from a supervisor. Supervisor promptly calls back and says he will have someone come back and resolve the issue.

12-31-08 No call No Show.

1-8-09 Tech calls me that he will be there in 30 minutes. Tech promptly shows up and starts testing the line. Sure enough there were errors. He replaces almost every single component up to the nid outside my home. Even after all that the HD picture looks terrible on both my HDTV's. He runs another test and the quality was worse than when he started. He calls for an ST to come out.20 Minutes later the ST was at the front door. He quickly replaces the EBN and Power protector on the NID. Still the signal is a no go. He walks over to the VRAD and replaces a wire. Still a no go. The ST then tells me that the HD picture that is being displayed on my TV looks great and that was as good as it can get. I look and laughed at him and tell him to compare my OTA HD picture and then look at your Crappy HD picture. He doesn't like where I was taking the conversation and quickly makes a B line for the exit. Mean while the U-Verse tech is on the horn with a level 2 support that tells him that she is going to lunch and will be back in one hour. It is now 8:30 in the evening and I tell the poor guy to call it a day. He gets up and starts packing his things while still being on the phone with level 2. She suggested that I call back and get some sort of credit for the service. Over all I am not happy with the service. The HD sucks at best. The Internet Service has lots of latency compared to my DSL service. Customer Service Sucks. Dish Network Here I Come!!!!

Comments:

Review by wirphotos See Profile

• Location: Green Bay,Brown,WI
Good "Better value, faster internet, receive all channels on all tv's!"
Bad "Install takes to long, customer service sucks"
Overall "Great value, superb service!"

I switched from Time Warner Cable. It was either DSL or U-Verse. We have the U200 Package, the slowest internet and 4 boxes.

The order was easy, the install was painful. Failed to show up on install date and was 4 hours late on the make up date.

Tech went well above the call of duty and made sure everything would work right from that point forward.

Comments:

Review by rcbrcb See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Better HD selection than TWC, Good ISP Speeds"
Bad "The lack of ability to Pause Live TV and Record Programs from Secondary STB's,"
Overall "Great product"

The time lead time form order to install was about 30 days. Tech that came to do the install was well informed about the product and how to do the work but he had to call out a lineman to redo the wiring setup in my buildings Telco Room, so the install of 2 TV's and Internet Service took well over 6.5 Hours. I am glad that I did not get U-verse Phone as it seems to be a problem to get it working for several in my building. They had their TV and Internet installed over a month ago but AT&T still cant get the phone service to work.

The only downside I have come across so far is the lack of ability to pause live TV and set recordings from the secondary STB. I guess I am spoiled by TiVo. The Whole House DVR is a nice function so you can watch recordings in multiple locations but it is rather annoying to get out of bed to run to the Living Room to set a recording or not being able to pause a live TV show in the bedroom when the phone rings or nature calls.

Overall I am very happy with the end product.

Comments:

Review by BuriedCaesar See Profile

• Location: Richardson,Dallas,TX
Good "Excellent, very knowledgeable and competent assistance from on-site tech."
Bad "Not really given a choice about upgrading to U-Verse in Richardson, TX"
Overall "Call Tech Support directly if you own a Mac, or hope for a competent on-site tech. Any install CD/DVD disk will be useless."

See my updated review on the SBC Yahoo! Review area - I'm now a U-Verse customer, though not of my own choosing - »Review of AT&T Yahoo by BuriedCaesar - didn't make sense to post it twice...

member for 10.5 years, 1584 visits, last login: 3.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by wadewood See Profile

• Location: Humble,Harris,TX
Good "Whole House DVR, ALL IP system"
Bad "internet speeds slow, picture quality"
Overall "probably going back to Comcast"

Since U-Verse now has Whole house DVR and 2 HD streams in my area, I decided to take them up on 30 day free trial. Signed up for Elite tier Internet (6/1) and U-300 TV package. I am a current Comcast customer.

Took 3 weeks for 1st available install date; I was not in any hurry so not an issue for me. They also send me a post card and tried to change install time. I had to call to get back my original 2 hour window (12-2PM). Tech showed up at 2PM. I walked him through install. I'm about 900ft from VRAD.. My home and all TV locations are wired with Cat 5e cable and back to Central Closet , so install was very simple.

I have one HDTV hooked with a Comcast HDTV DVR and a Uverse Box, both set to 1080i via HDMI cable to TV. I set both boxes to same channel and flipped between them. I tried several HDTV channels. Comcast picture is sharper. Uverse is not as good in details, looks more blocky up close. U-verse is also off on color, too much red (this can be adjusted).

Internet speed. I tested several times and download speed is under 5,000 Kbps. Upload averaged 355 Kbps. I pointed this out to tech and who called in and talked to support. They gave the usual answer...internet speeds are not guaranteed. If I ma going to pay extra for Elite 6,000 Kbps speed, I expect to average that speed.

Price is about the same Comcast in my area for equal service and channel package. Comcast Internet speed is faster - 7700 Kbps average.

Also, I received a postcard in mail 2 days before install with price increase notification. Extra boxes are now $7/month vs. they $5/month when I signed up. So, my monthly bill just went up $4/month. This will make U-Verse actually more than Comcast.

So, I cancel before end of 30 day trial. Unless U-Verse retention department can solve these issues, I will stick with Comcast.

member for 11.4 years, 1765 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sner66 See Profile

• Location: Hinsdale,Du Page,IL
Good "Smooth install; good price; excellent set of technical features for video and voice too."
Bad "Nothing major; wish for slightly better HD quality"
Overall "Great value"

I have been an SBC/ Ameritech dsl customer for several years. I decided to give U-verse a try after the door-to-door sales guy told me about the whole-home DVR and the bundled pricing. Technically there is no "discount" for multiple services but the voIP and iptv pricing still were lower than my POTS/direcTV totals. I switched from DirecTV on 12/2/08. My home was already wired for RG-6 and 2-pair of cat-5 to every room. Install went smoothly and took only 2.5 hours due to pre-wiring. With ethernet used for both dsl and video(separate switches). I only use RG-6 for OTA ATSC broadcasts (separate receiver). RG will synch at 63568, but currently limited to 25216 till vdsl2 deployed (2009?). This is adequate to support dsl, voice and 2HD/2SD channels.

I signed up for U-verse TV(U-200 pkg), dsl (6.0 meg package) and voice. Total monthly cost is $144 which includes two extra STBs (Cisco/Scientific Atlanta). Breakdown is : dsl-elite6.0-$35, U200-$59, u-voice-$30, HD package-$10, 2 extra STBs-$10. This saves me about $12/month over old SBC and DirecTV combination of same features.

dsl is rock-solid with pings of 20 and speed about 15% faster than the same pre-Uverse dsl from SBC/ATT. This is due to almost no errors/improved line quality. I am only 500 ft. from VRAD.

Really no negatives so far except that HD quality is not quite as good as DirecTV or OTA(which is still noticeably sharper than any other alternative).

Comments:

Review by kawinma See Profile

• Location: Visalia,Tulare,CA
Good "Fast internet, great TV"
Bad "HD DVR box needs to be reset, on occasion"
Overall "Great for the price"

U-Verse came to Visalia a while back, and I kept checking and checking for eligibility, with no success, up until a few weeks ago.

I jumped on it and called AT&T rather than going through the website to make sure everything would work. The CSR was very nice; I explained that I've had mixed stories from AT&T DISH reps over being locked into a contract -- my understanding was that it was three years, and I certainly haven't had it for that long -- so she connected me with DISH, he confirmed that there was no contract, and she said that if there was a termination fee, she'd have it waived.

I ordered the U200 package, 6/1 internet, and four extra TVs. I didn't order voice because I wasn't sure of the effect it would have on the alarm system, but she gave me the same unlimited local/long distance package for POTS and kept the billing separate.

The total was $115 for the first six months, and $130 thereafter (for the internet and TVs)

Jumping forward to the install date -- Dec 5 -- the guy came right on time, was in for about four and a half hours. During that time he went to the VRAD for about thirty or so minutes, installed a new NID (it looks very, very nice compared to the old one that got painted over), replaced the ends of the coax cables in the house, set up the RG and the four boxes, and showed me the basics.

He had to come back one time for a huge spool of RG6 cable though, and after that I found some (very nice) RG6 connectors, which he never came back for and I subsequently lost.

TiVo took a bit of cajoling to work with the Cisco STB in my room (non-DVR) and I had to put in Fresno's ZIP code, but it works great now.

Picture quality is amazing, even with SD content on the HDTV in the living room. I'm on the 2/2 profile.