AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by wadewood See Profile

• Location: Humble,Harris,TX
Good "Whole House DVR, ALL IP system"
Bad "internet speeds slow, picture quality"
Overall "probably going back to Comcast"

Since U-Verse now has Whole house DVR and 2 HD streams in my area, I decided to take them up on 30 day free trial. Signed up for Elite tier Internet (6/1) and U-300 TV package. I am a current Comcast customer.

Took 3 weeks for 1st available install date; I was not in any hurry so not an issue for me. They also send me a post card and tried to change install time. I had to call to get back my original 2 hour window (12-2PM). Tech showed up at 2PM. I walked him through install. I'm about 900ft from VRAD.. My home and all TV locations are wired with Cat 5e cable and back to Central Closet , so install was very simple.

I have one HDTV hooked with a Comcast HDTV DVR and a Uverse Box, both set to 1080i via HDMI cable to TV. I set both boxes to same channel and flipped between them. I tried several HDTV channels. Comcast picture is sharper. Uverse is not as good in details, looks more blocky up close. U-verse is also off on color, too much red (this can be adjusted).

Internet speed. I tested several times and download speed is under 5,000 Kbps. Upload averaged 355 Kbps. I pointed this out to tech and who called in and talked to support. They gave the usual answer...internet speeds are not guaranteed. If I ma going to pay extra for Elite 6,000 Kbps speed, I expect to average that speed.

Price is about the same Comcast in my area for equal service and channel package. Comcast Internet speed is faster - 7700 Kbps average.

Also, I received a postcard in mail 2 days before install with price increase notification. Extra boxes are now $7/month vs. they $5/month when I signed up. So, my monthly bill just went up $4/month. This will make U-Verse actually more than Comcast.

So, I cancel before end of 30 day trial. Unless U-Verse retention department can solve these issues, I will stick with Comcast.

member for 11.3 years, 1747 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sner66 See Profile

• Location: Hinsdale,Du Page,IL
Good "Smooth install; good price; excellent set of technical features for video and voice too."
Bad "Nothing major; wish for slightly better HD quality"
Overall "Great value"

I have been an SBC/ Ameritech dsl customer for several years. I decided to give U-verse a try after the door-to-door sales guy told me about the whole-home DVR and the bundled pricing. Technically there is no "discount" for multiple services but the voIP and iptv pricing still were lower than my POTS/direcTV totals. I switched from DirecTV on 12/2/08. My home was already wired for RG-6 and 2-pair of cat-5 to every room. Install went smoothly and took only 2.5 hours due to pre-wiring. With ethernet used for both dsl and video(separate switches). I only use RG-6 for OTA ATSC broadcasts (separate receiver). RG will synch at 63568, but currently limited to 25216 till vdsl2 deployed (2009?). This is adequate to support dsl, voice and 2HD/2SD channels.

I signed up for U-verse TV(U-200 pkg), dsl (6.0 meg package) and voice. Total monthly cost is $144 which includes two extra STBs (Cisco/Scientific Atlanta). Breakdown is : dsl-elite6.0-$35, U200-$59, u-voice-$30, HD package-$10, 2 extra STBs-$10. This saves me about $12/month over old SBC and DirecTV combination of same features.

dsl is rock-solid with pings of 20 and speed about 15% faster than the same pre-Uverse dsl from SBC/ATT. This is due to almost no errors/improved line quality. I am only 500 ft. from VRAD.

Really no negatives so far except that HD quality is not quite as good as DirecTV or OTA(which is still noticeably sharper than any other alternative).

member for 8.6 years, 1852 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by kawinma See Profile

• Location: Visalia,Tulare,CA
Good "Fast internet, great TV"
Bad "HD DVR box needs to be reset, on occasion"
Overall "Great for the price"

U-Verse came to Visalia a while back, and I kept checking and checking for eligibility, with no success, up until a few weeks ago.

I jumped on it and called AT&T rather than going through the website to make sure everything would work. The CSR was very nice; I explained that I've had mixed stories from AT&T DISH reps over being locked into a contract -- my understanding was that it was three years, and I certainly haven't had it for that long -- so she connected me with DISH, he confirmed that there was no contract, and she said that if there was a termination fee, she'd have it waived.

I ordered the U200 package, 6/1 internet, and four extra TVs. I didn't order voice because I wasn't sure of the effect it would have on the alarm system, but she gave me the same unlimited local/long distance package for POTS and kept the billing separate.

The total was $115 for the first six months, and $130 thereafter (for the internet and TVs)

Jumping forward to the install date -- Dec 5 -- the guy came right on time, was in for about four and a half hours. During that time he went to the VRAD for about thirty or so minutes, installed a new NID (it looks very, very nice compared to the old one that got painted over), replaced the ends of the coax cables in the house, set up the RG and the four boxes, and showed me the basics.

He had to come back one time for a huge spool of RG6 cable though, and after that I found some (very nice) RG6 connectors, which he never came back for and I subsequently lost.

TiVo took a bit of cajoling to work with the Cisco STB in my room (non-DVR) and I had to put in Fresno's ZIP code, but it works great now.

Picture quality is amazing, even with SD content on the HDTV in the living room. I'm on the 2/2 profile.

Comments:

Review by peteip74 See Profile

• Location: Irving,Dallas,TX
Good "Install was quick and painless, Tech was very knowledgable and did a great job"
Bad "none at this point"
Overall "i should have switched over sooner"

have had Dish Network, Time Warner, Comcast.
i have the u400 and the 6mb DSL.
install took less than an hour for a 1 bedroom apartment and 2 set top boxes.
Motorola equipment
i was surprised with how quick the service came up. Tech did not have to make any calls at all.

Comments:

Review by JessieLC See Profile

• Location: 32829-8748
Good "UVerse is much cheaper then ATT&T DSL +Dish.net"
Bad "HD DVR is bad am getting it replaced 12/20"
Overall "Cust Service was great no problems getting the DVR recognized as bad"

Have had AT&T DSL Extreme 6.0 for >5years, we live close to the switch with great speed. now changed to AT&T UVerse. only real problem is the DVR we have is bad, will not record shows. But was able to get them to see it was bad and replace it quickly without fuss. Am going to be able to save $50-60/month with this change. Have the same capabilities as with Dish.net with UVerseTV. UVerse Internet is as fast and at times faster then AT&T DSL. Order went through 2 weeks before they were able to install. We got service the day Orlando was turned on to UVerse.Because they had to run new cat5 cable install was a 2day experience because of house issues, but they did a good job and cleaned up well after themselves.WE have the CISCO HD DVR and CISCO STB. We do get 4 streams and will be able to record 2 HD shows or 4 SD shows at a time. The residential 2Wiregateway is in or office close to my network. They connected the gateway to my wired network without a fuss.Wish the DVR held more only 120h SD/40h HD but for the price we can't beat it. would I do it again, yes!

Comments:

Review by fire3 See Profile

• Location: Barrington,Lake,IL
Good "Good price, Value, and Service"
Bad "Program is still a little buggy but very usable"
Overall "For the price and no contract a good value"

I had Uverse installed in mid October and the install went well with the installer being on time. I did do research prior to ordering the Service to make sure the RG could be located where I needed it and it also gave me a heads up for potential problems.

Things I noticed: VOIP quality is very good no hissing and very reliable with a ATT battery backup included. The switch from POTS to VOIP took a little longer then planned but was full done inside 6hrs. (Home alarm and Fax still work with no modifacation).

TV: Good quality and the ability to stream recorded content to any TV is a big + HD picture is good too.

Internet: Good but still a bit buggy everything works fine but the download speed is throttled to demand so single down loads will only use the bottom of your teir. However you can download away and max out your teir with no problem.

Overall a good service and value and considered there is no contract not bad at all. Just keep in mind the service is still evolving for the better and a little patients could be helpful.

Comments:

Review by kjeffp24 See Profile

• Location: O Fallon,Saint Clair,IL
Good "Great TV"
Bad "Latency on the DSL is terrible"
Overall "If you like great TV and don't mind high ping times then this is for you."

I've tried every package they have for internet. The fact that this service uses interleaving rather than fast path DSL is a deal killer. I know, they have to use the interleave format because they're also sending TV over IP but the response from this service is just terrible. It will hold a steady connection at max speed once you make the initial connection but you may never get there. Lag when trying to play games is also really bad. I've tried using open DNS and it helps but not enough. I'm going to keep the TV but I'm going back to cable for the internet.

Comments:

Review by jnc2000 See Profile

• Location: Akron,Summit,OH
Good "Great picture quality, consistant speeds, unbeatable pricing and no contract to boot"
Bad "Install took 7 hours."
Overall "Give it a try... highly unlikly that you'll be disapointed"

I have had TWC in multiple residences. Overall I was very satisfied with what Time Warner offered. I had consistent reliability, good speeds and a decent price. That all changed when I took a job that required me to move. I transfered my Time Warner account, but unbeknownst to me the house where I was moving to resided on the an older aquired Adelphia network. Speeds were inconsistent. Picture quality dropped off - realibilty quickly became unacceptable. I gave them a few months and it did turn around. The kicker was on a campain that was expiring. I couldn't renew without signing a contract. So I did a little research and found out U-verse was available.

I had multiple problems trying to order the service, all stemming from the previous owner of the house still having equipment on his account. This caused the system to think the account was still active, and thus it did not allow me to place an order online. I called up and got everything fixed after a few calls. The rep even took $10 off a month for all the multiple calls trying to fix this. I signed up for the U300 + HD and Max internet (10/1.5) which came out to ~$80 per month.

I received and email a week before the install notifying me of my install date and time, and two postcards in the mail. The installer called that morning as well, and called again when he was 30 minutes out. Overall, I found that the installer had a very good, well versed technical background and was a true professional. I ended up helping him fish wires through my walls to help expedite the process as I choose to have everything wired via Cat5e. I had no qualms providing refreshments, and a light snack as well seeing as he was there for almost 7 hours.

I'm ~800ft out from the VRAD and my sync speeds were 70000/60000 (forgive me I don't have access to the exact numbers right now - so I'm rounding down... the actual speeds were a bit higher.)

Overall, I'm very happy with how things went, and how it is running thus far. I will have to come back in a month to provide an update once I get to really testing this during the holiday break.

I have had no need to contact tech support, thus my reasoning rating them a 3. I don't feel I can accurately rate a service for which I have had no interaction with...

member for 11.1 years, 675 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by ktchristie See Profile

• Location: Mckinney,Collin,TX
Good "Internet speed is fast"
Bad "If you're too far from the AT&T equipment you only get a SINGLE HD Stream."
Overall "Too far from their signal and you're not going to be happy"

I ordered U-Verse in McKinney Texas and the installer showed up right on time. The problem was he told me I'd only get a single HD Stream because I was 3500 ft plus away from their equipment. Given this O was dropped into the 19MB Category. Apparently near their equipment the installer is getting 50+ mb at some houses demarcation with 4 HD Streams. In essence, if we went ahead with the install, we can only watch a single HD Channel. If I wanted to record an HD Channel, I could not watch another HD Channel while the DVR was recording. If we were watching an HD Channel we couldn't record another NOR could my kids watch HD channels on another HD TV. They do not provide IP telephony in my location either. The cost to AT&T to upgrade their equipment is about 4-5K. The returns they would see by signing up other residents in or neighborhood would far outweigh the costs. I hear the picture quality is awesome however until AT&T can guarantee me 4 HD Streams, I won't be moving to U-verse anytime soon. Unfortunately I’ve decided to stay with Tim Warner for the time being. We'll make a decision on satellite and faster internet later. Bundling with TW is out of the question as their Internet service drops repeatedly in my home.

Comments:

Review by kbromdhane See Profile

• Location: Temple City,Los Angeles,CA
Good "availability of international channels"
Bad "very bad transmission and service"
Overall "I am looking for other and better options!"

After a little over two years with Charter, my husband and I decided to switch to AT&T U-verse that "made us an offer we couldn't refuse". The problems have started from the day the technicians were supposed to come. They did not come on the day and time they set up for me, and they did not even call!!! I had to call customer service and wait for over half an hour to get someone to apologize and promise to send someone the next day. Once we got the internet and cable, we were quickly disappointed and frustrated. The image kept freezing, and the internet signal would come and go. My phone, with Vonage, was unusable so, I could not call customer service to complain. I had to use my cell phone! After a week, a technician came and did not find anything wrong with the installation. He told me I had to reset the modem, the DVR... The service got better, meaning less freezing and resetting, except for the phone reception.

After a month of AT&T U-Verse, nobody in my family has been able to watch a full program! The image keeps freezing, or gets scrambled, the phone does not even ring; calls get forwarded to my cell-phone so, I am losing my minutes, and my patience. From Charter to AT&T U-verse, It has been a change for the worse. What other options do I have?