AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by BruceN See Profile

• Location: Roswell,Fulton,GA
Good "Good install crew"
Bad "Choppy internet speed, not a good price"
Overall "Killed service durning 30 day trial"

I signed up for U200 T and net package. I currently have Comcast, and was not concerned about TV as much as internet. Found streaming internet to be very choppy even though we are right near the cross connect!

TV was OK, but Comcast gives me free HD on my sets without a box. Similar service with uverse on 4 sets would have been a giant cost!

Sticking with Comcast, waiting for 20 meg net.

Comments:

Review by Hookem99 See Profile

• Location: Pflugerville,Travis,TX
Good "Great price, Great internet, Good HD picture, No contract"
Bad "Only 4 total streams lacks most others"
Overall "Great product, great value, but not for everyone"

I ordered U400 TV and Max(10/1.5) internet.

From order to install, all the reps were very friendly and helpful. I did have to contact tech support after install, and the tech canceled my appointment. They did call and try to reschedule.

The internet is extremely fast and stable. Much more so than my prior 10/1 cable connection. I do not like the fact that the residential gateway is a 'all in one'. I would prefer to use my own router. With only a 4 port if you wire your receivers Cat5 rather than RG6, there is no room for other LAN components.

The TV area is were my biggest issues are. I have been using Uverse TV for one week. Coming from DirecTV, my expectations were high. Uverse has a great HD picture, comparable to DTV. However, I am going to cancel the TV portion of Uverse, only because of my personal preference. With DTV I have 2 HD TV's and 2 DVR's that I use regularly. I also record 1 or more HD programs while watching other HD programs quite often. I can not do this with Uverse yet. I also use my Over The Air antenna often. Uverse does not support this. I did have some issues with the DVR. Over the week I have had it, I scheduled 5 shows to record. Only 2 actually did. I also had to reset the unit often to get it to work. I do not believe these issues to be service related, as im sure I got a bad unit, which is not the fault of ATT. Uverse is a great option for a home with lite HD and DVR use, but at this point, it is not for me. I will not hesitate to switch back if they offer more HD streams and channels, which I am sure is in the future.

I did not purchase Uverse voice. However I would love to try it if the price were to fall in line with other VOIP company's. $40/mo seems a bit steep for VOIP service.

Overall, I have been very happy with the general experience of Uverse. I would recommend anyone to try it and form your own opinion.

Update 2/6/2009:

I had U-voice installed. While the service seems stable to this point, I have found the feature set to be extremely lacking compared to other, less expensive VOIP providers. I believe U-voice is a great alternative for someone looking to simply replace a POTS line, however, for someone looking for an advanced feature set, I would look else where.

Missing features I would use regularly:

1. Custom inbound caller id
2. Custom call routing(blocking/forwarding)- While you can block/screen calls(up to 20 #'s), the caller gets a message saying that they are being blocked/screened. There is no forward to VM or busy signal.
3. VM to email- You can get an email notification saying you have a new VM but there is not even a link to go get it. I like having the message delivered to my inbox directly. You can listen to messages in your CP! But again there is no link to this in the email notification.

These are simply my opinions, and I encourage you to form your own.

member for 7.6 years, 1722 visits, last login: 2.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by redfst See Profile

• Location: Port Saint Lucie,Saint Lucie,FL
Good "Solid internet, very good picture and great price package"
Bad "HD is not quite at Directv's level, but still a very good picture, no other issues"
Overall "Good product and happy with paying less money for more."

I used to have Directv for television service and Comcast for internet. Never had a problem with either, but those 2 combined versus using at&t uverse for tv and internet saves me about $60-$70 a month. There was never any DSL service where I live b/c it was one of the few pockets left out for some reason when the DSL boom began. A VRAD was placed at my crossbox last year and was finally turned up at the beginning of the year. I placed my order with a live person and ordered the U300 and the 6mg service. 10 and 18 mg service is also available with the UVerse signal, but the 6mg level was fine with me.

Install went very well. As a recommendation to any considering Uverse, ALWAYS ask for the first appointment of 8 to 10 am. Outside lineman called to say he was on way to test line and activate signal at VRAD. I am 1800ft from VRAD. Half hour later, inside premise tech called to let me know he was in route. Install was very easy for the inside tech. I have both coax and cat5 ethernet to my 3 tv locations and a homerun for the RG gateway from the NID to the master spot with all the cat5 wires that will go to the 3 tv locations. I wanted to and we used cat5 for the feeds to the 3 rooms. All 3 receivers worked right away and internet account setup and registration was a simple 5-7 minute process online. DVR works great and is a nice feature to be able to access recorded shows at the other receivers.

Overall, very happy with the product. I know that Uverse is still working out the growing pains, but in time will be a good product. It would be helpful to do your own research on the advantages and offerings for Uverse rather than from the business office b/c you will get a different answer every time in regards to asking an agent. Keeping it simple for the install such as prerun wires and not getting too complex with your order will greatly reduce any snags or problems during install.

Comments:

Review by dean_machine9 See Profile

• Location: West Sacramento,Yolo,CA
Good "FAST channel changes, 75 HD channels, clear picture, 18Mbps internet"
Bad "Fiber tech didn't show on time to install the ONT, delayed install by a day"
Overall "Great value for the money with $200 cashback + $50 visa card +$25 visa card = $275 in savings!!"

I had placed the order back on 12/17 because they were running a $50 visa card online offer if I submitted order by 12/20. Install was scheduled for 2/2 8am-10am (I didn't move in until 1/31), tech named Ed showed up promptly at 8am and I immediately could tell he was very knowledgeable and friendly, was very willing to help. After checking the wiring (new home already pre-wired with cat5 and coax), he found out that there is fiber going directly to the home (FTTP) but the fiber tech never came to install the ONT. He said he would have to return later that afternoon, and he escalated the issue to his manager so that the fiber tech would show that day. I was hesitant to believe that he would come back, but I was reassured when he gave me his cell number.

Ed did come back around 12pm and still could not find out why the fiber tech hadn't come to install the ONT. He was very persistent and would not give up on the issue, if it weren't for him, I would have cancelled everything and gone with Wave Broadband! He installed the HD- DVR receiver and the 2nd receiver with the 2WIRE wireless gateway and said the fiber tech should show later that evening and he even told me to call his work cell when he was at home so he could walk me through configuring the boxes once the ONT was installed. I was very impressed with his service!

Well, turns out the fiber tech didn't come by that evening and showed up the next morning, so I waited until I got home from work to call Ed, and he came over in a matter of minutes to make sure everything was working properly. It was! He then closed the ticket once he knew everything was working. Although I was disappointed that the fiber tech didn't come out before the install, Ed was so awesome that I was willing to overlook that.

Overall, I LOVE the service! Have the U200 with HD package, 2 receivers and 18Mbps MAX internet (no phone), got a fantastic deal with $200 cash back, $50 visa debit card offer, and another $25 debit cart for completing my order online! That's $275 total, gotta love it!

Comments:

Review by marrow See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "Picture Quality, Pricing (comared to Comcast), Courteous Staff"
Bad "Dispatch not calling to cancel tech appointments (5 times)"
Overall "If the service works, it is a value"

I love the AT&T Uverse TV and Internet services. They are priced well and have great quality (when they are working). I have had alot of issues with the gateway losing connection/link since I have had the service (until it was recently fixed). Getting the problem fixed and finding the right person to fix it was the majority of the issue. Everyone at AT&T Uverse was very helpful and courteous as they tried to fix the problem. Below is my whole story on the installation and repair attempts.

I had Uverse installed on December 23rd 2008. Since then, I have experienced numerous issues where the Gateway will randomly drop service (red or green blinking light). This will usually occur in the late afternoon or night (between 6pm & 11pm), although it has occurred in the morning on rare occasions.

I had a field tech (tech who comes into the house) come out around January 5th and take a look at the issue. He said that he thought the Gateway was shutting down because of a power surge or it thought it had a power surge. He said to move the power cord to another outlet and the problem should be fixed. I tried this and it did not resolve the problem.

About January 15th, I had another field tech come out and check out the Gateway again. He said that all the tests that he was running had showed that it was an exterior line problem and that he would have to send an INR tech (linesman) to fix the outside lines. This INR tech was suppose to come the next day, but never did. I had to call another field tech out and re-request an INR tech.

On January 12th, I called AT&T to see if the INR tech ever came out. They said that he did and closed the ticket. About 1 hour later, my gateway was still randomly dropping. I called back and re-requested an INR tech.

On January 13th, another INR tech came to the house and reran the drop from the pole to my house. He said that he was still seeing the issues with the line, but his tests show that the issue is within the house. I call tech support back and they still say that their tests show it is outside the house on the line. The INR tech (still at the house) says that there is nothing more he can do.

I reschedule another field tech (supposedly more experienced) for January 15th night to come back inside the house and figure this out. The tech was suppose to come between 4pm & 9pm. At 8:45pm the tech had not shown up, so I call dispatch and they say that the person that was suppose to come had been moved to another job and this job had been dropped. I was suppose to get a call, but it never came through.

Same thing occured on the night of January 16th and the morning of January 17th. Ticket was in the system, but no one showed up or called.

On February 4th my issues were resolved. Here is what was done over the course of a month and a half to fix this problem:

1. Re-grounded the NID (box outside your house where the drop connects) (AT&T field tech)

2. Replaced the HISA Balum (box inside the NID) (AT&T field tech)

3. Replaced the line drop from the pole to the NID (AT&T INR tech)

4. Replaced the line from the NID to the gateway X 2 (I have coax, phone line, and cat 5 that can be and have been used to go into the gateway). (AT&T field tech)

5. Replaced the Gateway X 2 (AT&T field tech)

6. New Ground for the gateway plug (Electrician)

7. Replace Ground for the NID (AT&T field tech and INR tech)

8. Replaced two of the protectors (plastic piece with two screws on the top) within the NID (I think this is what fixed the problem as the other fixes showed minimal improvements) (AT&T field tech)

If someone is having a similar problem and the suggestions above do not help, have the field tech test the line at the drop. If he/she can see the problem there, then they need to send an INR tech (line tech). If the problem is not there, have the field tech test on the other side of the NID and on down the line until they find where the problem is occurring.

Hopefully this will help you and anyone else that is having this problem. Persistence is key.

member for 12.8 years, 457 visits, last login: 3.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by wguimb See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "Fast internet, Lower Price than cable, Reliability, TV is great"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Great service and value for the price. I like it very much."

I have been a Comcast cable subscriber (Internet, TV and phone) for many years. I was mostly pleased with the service but the price kept going up, up, up... Finally I could not afford it any longer. I switched to AT&T U-Verse and I am so glad I did.

I have the U100 package on the AT&T U-Verse service. I upgraded the internet service in the package to 6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. The installation for the land line phone service was fast and easy. I had to wait a month for the U-Verse installation but it was well worth the wait. The installer was very experienced and had everything working in less than an hour.

I have been using the service for a month now and I must say overall I am very pleased.

member for 13.8 years, 887 visits, last login: 1.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by docbiohazard See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "Excellent cable service, great channel lineup and value added features like UBar. Cheaper than Comcast."
Bad "Broadband expensive for higher tiers. Can't seem to search guide by category. Install knocked out my landline."
Overall "I've only had it one day, but I'm super pleased so far."

So just an initial install report, tech showed up on time as scheduled and did a great job installing everything. There is a problem with my old landline wiring so someone is supposed to come out and upgrade it. It didn't happen today, so may have to call to follow up on that. But with internet and television working, almost don't care about the landline. I was getting close to 8 down / 1 up from Comcast, and UVerse's broadband tiers jump from 6/1 to 10/1.5 at a hefty price increase, so I'm trying the 6/1 for now. I wish the 10/1.5 and 18/1.5 were more affordable. Thus far, very very pleased. Also quality is fantastic on my 57" 1080i DLP, I have a feeling the service has been upgraded since its original rollout.

Comments:

Review by gmeeper See Profile

• Location: O Fallon,Saint Clair,IL
Good "Good install tech, good picture quality"
Bad "Poor customer service, wrong DVR"
Overall "Better than cable (esp Charter), but go with satellite until AT&T works out the kinks."

We ordered this service two weeks and it was installed yesterday. We placed an order for ATT UVerse 200, 6Meg DSL, and VoIP.

The day we placed the order, the customer service rep decided to cancel our DSL service that day instead of waiting until the upgrade date two weeks later like we had requested. We had to spend 2 days on the phone with ATT to get service turned back on. Of course the issue was the customer service reps don't listen to the customer because they think they know better. We told them the issue and what was the most likely cause, but it took them 2 days and a dozen reps in several departments to figure out how to fix it. We finally got a competent rep who fixed it in 5 minutes and she admitted that had any of the reps before her listen to what we had been saying they to could have resolved the issue immediately.

We we ordered the UVerse TV service we got the U200 with HD service and the HD DVR. We specifically asked to get the new VIP1225 which can hold more hours of HD recording (37 or 55 hours, I've heard both from various sources) then the standard VIP1216 (22-24 hours of HD). Anyways, the rep taking our order told us that all new customers ordering HD service would get the DVR with the larger hard drive. When the technician showed up, he had the VIP1216 because that was what was on his order sheet. He told us that the sales rep have no idea how to put in for the newer DVRs even though they have been promising this to customers. He told us they had a pallet of them sitting in their local supply room, but couldn't install them because all the orders are inputted for the VIP1216s. He recommended that we call customer service and explain to them the issue and it should be upgraded without any issues. We call customer service the next day and they told us the technician was wrong and misinformed and that he has no idea of what DVRs are available. They also told us that the new VIP1225s are given out at random and we weren't lucky enough to be one of the ones selected.

Kudos to the technician for doing the best he could given the situation created by his customer service reps. Maybe if the customer service reps actually went out in the field and dealt with the customers in person, they would be more careful about selling lies that the poor technicians have to later try and explain to the customers.

member for 6 years, 1 visits, last login: 6 years ago

Comments:

Review by jhelmoreii See Profile

• Location: Willoughby,Lake,OH
Good "Picture Quality"
Bad "None Yet"
Overall "New service"

Uverse U400 plus cvoip (formerly two landlines) plus HD premier plus Elite internet (ported over from 6 mb DSL) installed in four hours on 26Jan09. Tech used my CAT5E locations with my permission and installed coax where necessary. Left me a New 8 port netgear gigabit router for my future use with Blue Ray, WII, and a couple of other devices. Wife marveled at HD quality compared to Dishnetwork. Of course no HD compares to 4DTV and OTA which I also have. Install went easy and learning curve has been okay. Only problem is the lack of an actual user manual for the DVR unit and slave units. My overall cost will be reduced by up to $60.00 per month with an increase in programming and services.

Price differential jump of $20 to go to 10 mb internet is a current stopper. The difference between Pro and Elite was only $5.00 per month.

Motorola vip 1200 and 1216 for TV's. Residential Gateway is from 2wire 3800 series with belkin battery backup for phone service.

Cost includes 3 Uverse TV boxes (one DVR), Internet, two digitial phones, and lots of programs with Full Moon VOD added.

member for 14.9 years, 104 visits, last login: 3.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by Carnifax17 See Profile

• Location: Richardson,Dallas,TX
Good "Works well, excellent install tech, good wireless, plays well with LAN"
Bad "Clunky migration of prior sub-accounts, 1st tier support incompetent"
Overall "Happy so far, decent throughput"

Here in Richardson, Tx have had legacy SBC FTTN for years but running at 1.5 Mbps which has been inadequate for awhile and non-upgradable. Many years ago we had such a bad experience with cable that we will never consider it under any circumstance. FIOS not available in neighborhood. AT&T replaced node 60 feet from house so we took advantage of introductory Elite 6 Mbps for 18 mos. for $27. Was not offered HDTV for now which was not a deal breaker because we prefer Dish's less compressed 1080p and HD selections anyway. Telephone sales confused about the difference between FTTN & FTTH. I called back twice to confirm FTTH and figured someone's pants was on fire when install tech arrived before any trench in the back yard. Not real happy with using existing CAT3 from box even if it tested strong. Got lucky with a very good install tech. U-Verse's installation program has a glitch with migrating old sub-accounts: one of our accounts was so old that we did not have the account password--going forward reset existing sub-accounts so had to go to 2nd tier install support to back out and re-install. The RG is a 2wire 3800HGV-B. We're running our LAN through an 8 port gig ethernet Linksys and took out a Ver.1 WRT54GS to run the 2Wire. I am very surprised that were no issues with getting everything up and running. Even got a much stronger wireless signal. Reset the password to 64 random character ASCII password and now everything chugs along well. Happy campers all.