AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by clal2kjoy See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "none"
Bad "horrible customer service"
Overall "AVOID THE U-VERSE NIGHTMARE"

I am so upset with the service i received from AT&T U-verse that i am now considering dropping my mobile , house and internet services AT&T provides because i do not feel like giving money to a company that does not deserve my business any longer.

I was lied to by the door to door sales representative right off the bat. it will only be "$30, $30, $30 = $90" as part of the special promotion and for this price i would receive and extra receiver, hd programming and the 6mbps internet and my standard phone service. When the technician finally comes out, the work order is completely wrong, and they begin to tell me about all the extra costs and how the sales person does not work for them directly and it is not their problem that he lied. My total comes out to be $130 a month and on top of all that THE TV SERVICE IS RIDICULOUS. The HD channels look horrible, pixelation happens every couple of seconds during football games and the internet disconnects every time i turn on a receiver. I called tech help and was assured by them that by rebooting my gateway the problem would be solved, and it was ok for ONE day. I am canceling this service tomorrow and would URGE anyone in the Dallas area that is considering U-Verse to save themselves their time and money and headaches and stick with thier current providers. I am going back to Time Warner tomorrow!

Comments:

Review by user4275 See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Reliable, works as advertised, no long-term contract"
Bad "None, thus far"
Overall "Good value, if you're looking for a bundled Internet/TV/Phone package"

Prior to ordering U-Verse, my Internet service was provided by AT&T on the second to lowest speed tier (not sure what that's called) but it was pure agony (slower than dial-up) as I am 16,000 ft from the CO. My TV service provider was Comcast, and my home phone service has been with AT&T as well. After the installation of a VRAD approx. 900 ft from my residence, I proceeded to order U-Verse (TV and Internet) on 11/20/08. The install date was 12/10/08. Had I opted to include phone service in U-Verse, the install date would have been pushed into January 2009 which I didn't want, so I left the phone service out of the package.

I am now on the U-200 package (plus HDTV) including Elite Broadband (6/1) for Internet service. Needless to say that I am now surfing the web at speeds I have never before experienced at home, so there is really no fair basis to compare. On the TV side, I am receiving 2 HD streams and 2 standard streams. Very pleased with that so far, except the audio occasionally skips for a split second, but nothing that would annoy me major league.

As a result of not having my phone service on U-Verse, I had a problem with really bad static for about a month which was subsequently remedied by AT&T, after the holidays. Turns out, prior to installing U-Verse, AT&T overlooked that they had to remove a bridge tap on the pole behind my house. Once, that was taken care of, the static on the phone was gone. Overall, a very pleasant experience dealing with AT&T, and U-Verse is an enjoyable product, so far.

member for 11 years, 2086 visits, last login: 6 days ago

Comments:

Review by trothatl See Profile

• Location: Decatur,Dekalb,GA
Good "Good price, cool features, if they ever get around to installing it"
Bad "Installer never showed up, nonexistent customer service"
Overall "Don't waste your time - horrible customer service"

I was excited about the roll-out of U-verse in Atlanta, but it's been impossible to get an installer here even though my order was accepted over two weeks ago. The installer did not show up for the scheduled appointment. I called customer service and after the rep spent a half hour trying to find out why the install never showed up, she told me she would have to re-place the order and give me a new appointment time. However, she said she would have to call me back several hours later with a new time. I asked to speak with a supervisor and I was told none were available. She refused to let me hold until one was available despite my insistence. She never called me back.

The next day I called customer service again. I was told my order had been closed out and I would have to go through the ordering process again and it would be at least another week before an installer could come out. I asked to speak with a supervisor and this time I was put through to one. He asked why I wanted to cancel my order and I explained that I was trying to get the order fulfilled. After 40 minutes of him putting me on and taking me off of hold while he checked with dispatch, I finally asked him to call me back. He promised to call me back as soon as he had my installation scheduled. That was 24 hours ago and, of course, no return call.

I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Comments:

Review by missionbbs See Profile

• Location: Derby,New Haven,CT
Good "Fair price for the 10Meg speed"
Bad "Sound for there internet phone could be clearer"
Overall "Not bad for there price with all the features."

I have the AT&T U-Verse Internet and U-Verse Internet phone service.
For the price I pay it is a bargan, the phone end could be clearer.
If I did not get the 10Meg speed it would be $69.00 a month for 3 Meg speed,
for $20.00 more get the 10 Meg speed.

Derby CT

Comments:

Review by donkeycooter See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
Good "Great Price, Great Technology, Best bang for the buck"
Bad "occasional freezing glitches"
Overall "I wish this was available at my other home in Santa Cruz"

First Report after two weeks of service

We recently moved to Sacramento, CA for a consulting job and found out that U-verse was available. At my permanent residence in Santa Cruz, we have a choice of minimal HD with Comcast, or Satellite without Local HD Channels. I've read the complaints about U-verse HD Quality but it doesn't even compare to worse HD quality of Comcast in Santa Cruz. Some of the same network channels are bad like CBS. Anyway, I'm enjoying everything I had from Comcast + 50% more channels, Better DVR, and nearly half the price. Comcast does beat them on the On Demand HD. The internet seems fine and reasonably priced, but Comcast always had great internet for me. I didn't get the phone since it was going to delay the install by two weeks. I just went for a skype home phone number for the telemarketers and our usual cell phones for everything else.

Comments:

Review by Clo4 See Profile

• Location: Hollywood,Broward,FL
Good "Speed / Standard Definition TV Picture Looks Great"
Bad "Terrible Customer Service / HD Quality Looks Awful"
Overall "If you can deal with crappy tech support and bad HD quality this service is for you."

Order was placed on 12-3-08 after a DSL tech had advised me that U-Verse was available. The service was to be installed on 12-8-08.

12-08-08 U-Verse tech shows. He quickly checks for a signal and tells me its a no go since I still had DSL service. Rescheduled for 12-10-08. That right still a no go. Rescheduled for 12-18-08.

12-18-08 that’s right the tech blows me off. Not even a phone call. The support promises to have someone out on 12-24-08.

12-24-08 8PM still no call no show Lovely.

12-26-08 I get a call that someone will be out on 12-28-08.

12-28-08 tech shows up and laughs at me telling to reschedule at which point I told him to cancel. He quickly gets on the horn and makes things happen. 6 hours later U-Verse was installed and he was on his way. That night we start to have TV picture quality issues when watching HD. Support tech was called and told me he would have someone on 12-30-08.

12-30-08 tech shows up . He looks around and checks the phone jack with his handheld test. He walks outside and never comes back in. Awesome !!!. Called support who was extremely nice and apologetic and promised me a call back from a supervisor. Supervisor promptly calls back and says he will have someone come back and resolve the issue.

12-31-08 No call No Show.

1-8-09 Tech calls me that he will be there in 30 minutes. Tech promptly shows up and starts testing the line. Sure enough there were errors. He replaces almost every single component up to the nid outside my home. Even after all that the HD picture looks terrible on both my HDTV's. He runs another test and the quality was worse than when he started. He calls for an ST to come out.20 Minutes later the ST was at the front door. He quickly replaces the EBN and Power protector on the NID. Still the signal is a no go. He walks over to the VRAD and replaces a wire. Still a no go. The ST then tells me that the HD picture that is being displayed on my TV looks great and that was as good as it can get. I look and laughed at him and tell him to compare my OTA HD picture and then look at your Crappy HD picture. He doesn't like where I was taking the conversation and quickly makes a B line for the exit. Mean while the U-Verse tech is on the horn with a level 2 support that tells him that she is going to lunch and will be back in one hour. It is now 8:30 in the evening and I tell the poor guy to call it a day. He gets up and starts packing his things while still being on the phone with level 2. She suggested that I call back and get some sort of credit for the service. Over all I am not happy with the service. The HD sucks at best. The Internet Service has lots of latency compared to my DSL service. Customer Service Sucks. Dish Network Here I Come!!!!

Comments:

Review by wirphotos See Profile

• Location: Green Bay,Brown,WI
Good "Better value, faster internet, receive all channels on all tv's!"
Bad "Install takes to long, customer service sucks"
Overall "Great value, superb service!"

I switched from Time Warner Cable. It was either DSL or U-Verse. We have the U200 Package, the slowest internet and 4 boxes.

The order was easy, the install was painful. Failed to show up on install date and was 4 hours late on the make up date.

Tech went well above the call of duty and made sure everything would work right from that point forward.

Comments:

Review by rcbrcb See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Better HD selection than TWC, Good ISP Speeds"
Bad "The lack of ability to Pause Live TV and Record Programs from Secondary STB's,"
Overall "Great product"

The time lead time form order to install was about 30 days. Tech that came to do the install was well informed about the product and how to do the work but he had to call out a lineman to redo the wiring setup in my buildings Telco Room, so the install of 2 TV's and Internet Service took well over 6.5 Hours. I am glad that I did not get U-verse Phone as it seems to be a problem to get it working for several in my building. They had their TV and Internet installed over a month ago but AT&T still cant get the phone service to work.

The only downside I have come across so far is the lack of ability to pause live TV and set recordings from the secondary STB. I guess I am spoiled by TiVo. The Whole House DVR is a nice function so you can watch recordings in multiple locations but it is rather annoying to get out of bed to run to the Living Room to set a recording or not being able to pause a live TV show in the bedroom when the phone rings or nature calls.

Overall I am very happy with the end product.

Comments:

Review by BuriedCaesar See Profile

• Location: Richardson,Dallas,TX
Good "Excellent, very knowledgeable and competent assistance from on-site tech."
Bad "Not really given a choice about upgrading to U-Verse in Richardson, TX"
Overall "Call Tech Support directly if you own a Mac, or hope for a competent on-site tech. Any install CD/DVD disk will be useless."

See my updated review on the SBC Yahoo! Review area - I'm now a U-Verse customer, though not of my own choosing - »Review of AT&T Yahoo by BuriedCaesar - didn't make sense to post it twice...

member for 10.6 years, 1584 visits, last login: 3.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by wadewood See Profile

• Location: Humble,Harris,TX
Good "Whole House DVR, ALL IP system"
Bad "internet speeds slow, picture quality"
Overall "probably going back to Comcast"

Since U-Verse now has Whole house DVR and 2 HD streams in my area, I decided to take them up on 30 day free trial. Signed up for Elite tier Internet (6/1) and U-300 TV package. I am a current Comcast customer.

Took 3 weeks for 1st available install date; I was not in any hurry so not an issue for me. They also send me a post card and tried to change install time. I had to call to get back my original 2 hour window (12-2PM). Tech showed up at 2PM. I walked him through install. I'm about 900ft from VRAD.. My home and all TV locations are wired with Cat 5e cable and back to Central Closet , so install was very simple.

I have one HDTV hooked with a Comcast HDTV DVR and a Uverse Box, both set to 1080i via HDMI cable to TV. I set both boxes to same channel and flipped between them. I tried several HDTV channels. Comcast picture is sharper. Uverse is not as good in details, looks more blocky up close. U-verse is also off on color, too much red (this can be adjusted).

Internet speed. I tested several times and download speed is under 5,000 Kbps. Upload averaged 355 Kbps. I pointed this out to tech and who called in and talked to support. They gave the usual answer...internet speeds are not guaranteed. If I ma going to pay extra for Elite 6,000 Kbps speed, I expect to average that speed.

Price is about the same Comcast in my area for equal service and channel package. Comcast Internet speed is faster - 7700 Kbps average.

Also, I received a postcard in mail 2 days before install with price increase notification. Extra boxes are now $7/month vs. they $5/month when I signed up. So, my monthly bill just went up $4/month. This will make U-Verse actually more than Comcast.

So, I cancel before end of 30 day trial. Unless U-Verse retention department can solve these issues, I will stick with Comcast.