AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by bl117 See Profile

• Location: Woodstock,Mchenry,IL
Good "Always worked, Priced Right, Installers were great, Fast, Ability to record 4 shows at once (2hd, 2sd)"
Bad "none"
Overall "Best i've ever had for tv and internet"

Moved from Comcast due to the number of DVR's which had died and service interuptions in the area. The installers were on time, helpfull, very knowledgable about the service, made extra cables for me to place the iptv boxes where i wanted them. the ability to record shows on the dvr and watch them on any of the other iptv boxes was great. The only issues i had were the occasional lockup of the iptv boxes which was later fixed with an update. the ability to set shows to record via the internet was difficult to use and log into. a minor inconvenience for a service that always worked. Also for other IT people out there, the IP never changed.

Comments:

Review by theymos See Profile

• Location: Appleton,Outagamie,WI
Good "Fast, cheap, reliable, static IP"
Bad "Static IP, forced to use a router they provide"
Overall "Perfect for some people, but not for me"

I have used one of AT&T's non-U-verse DSL plans for years, and I really liked it. When the faster U-verse came to my area, I ordered the Max plan immediately. I've been using it for a few weeks.

The time from order to installation was longer that I expected. The first thing I noticed upon installation was that they gave me a giant, ugly 2Wire router/modem. Before this, I was used to using a Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato firmware and a simple DSL modem, so I was not happy that I was forced to use this. I was able to set up a double NAT using the 2Wire's DNS Plus so that I could use my Linksys router's advanced functionality, but I would have very much preferred to just get a plain modem and use my own router.

U-verse also has an almost static IP. It has never changed for me, and from what I've read online it only ever changes when you get a new 2Wire router/modem thing. For some people this may be excellent news because you can run your own server, but I don't like it. Previously I would change my IP often to bypass the limit on sites like Rapidshare, and I didn't have to worry about sites tracking me by IP.

I'm probably going to go back to a non-U-Verse package. I need a dynamic IP. If you're fine with a static IP and you don't mind using a router that you don't really control, then U-verse will be fine for you. The U-verse TV is pretty good, too.

Comments:

Review by RonaldReagan5 See Profile

• Location: Frisco,Denton,TX
Good "Speed, Reliablility"
Bad "Cost. Firewall features"
Overall "A+"

Speed usually exceeds guaranteed download rates. Does not seem to degrade during normal peak usage times. I have had uVerse for 12 months and have experienced only one outage. I would like to see additional functionality in the firewall. I have used cable, dsl and wireless T1's and uVerse is by far the best so far. DVR is very good with 4 tuners and lots of storage. HD TV is good but some pixelation on SD TV at times.

Comments:

Review by bsar170 See Profile

• Location: Napa,Napa,CA
Good "No dish, good HD, GREAT DVR UI, exceptional installation people"
Bad "Flakey wireless out-of-the-box, Cat5 required for best case installation"
Overall "If you're all wired up with Cat5 already, you're good to go! A great alternative to DirecTV with Windows Media Center MCE,VMC"

Prior to purchasing U-Verse I had AT&T DSL "Elite" package, AT&T home phone, AT&T Wireless and DirecTV "Choice" without HD... I had two DirecTV boxes hooked up to a Windows Vista Media Center in the home office, with Xbox360s at each TV working as media extenders.

When I looked into U-Verse, I chose the options that would most closely resemble my existing setup. U-200 package with all-home DVR plus I combined all my other AT&T services (including cellphone) into the bill. The total cost ended up being $10 cheaper than my original set-up, so I went ahead and paid $10 for HD access.

I got the U-verse "Elite" Internet which is comparable to their DSL speed.

My biggest decision for changing was based on reliability of VMC/MCE -- I found myself having to restart/troubleshoot my HTPC every couple weeks. Not a big deal, but not as seamless as I liked after a while. I really like the VMC interface and the flexibility in terms of accessing different kinds of media in addition to TV -- pictures, video and music stored on my computer. I ran into troubles with DirecTV when their hardware started having issues. They offered HD for free for a limited time and I tried it out. When it was no longer free, I ditched it -- I didn't use it that much anyway. My DirecTV signal kept dropping out once in a while and I decided to move away from DirecTV, they claimed that when I accepted the free HD upgrade, I had opted to extend my contract for two additional years (yeah right!). When it came down to it, the TVs in my house were not functioning reliably as TVs -- so I decided to move away from DirecTV and VMC.

U-Verse had an offer of $200 cash back when you order online, which will pretty much pay for the DirecTV cancellation fee. Comcast made no such offer and besides, their UI is horrible!

I went online to AT&T's website and did the "chat with customer rep" option. When I chatted, I expressed my interest in any other offers they could make and they offered an additional $50 off the order. So $250 back total -- haven't gotten the rebate yet.

I placed the order on a Thursday afternoon and it was scheduled to be installed the following Tuesday. That Tuesday I was at work and the installer called me. He said he'd finished his other installs for the day and wanted to start the install at my house early. No problem except I was at work for another two hours! He was very flexible and he would just get started at the "node" down the street and meet me at the house when I got home.

I got home about two hours later and he still hadn't finished at the node! My house was built in 1955 and I doubt any work had been done on the wires since then -- hah -- so I'm not surprised it took a little extra work.

When he got to the house, he was happy to see I had Cat5 run through the house to each TV. I had set each TV with an Xbox connected to the network anyway, so no problem. The install tech said Cat5 would be the best set-up for the HDTV/DVR setup.

He had an issue syncing up to the NID (the telephone box outside) with the existing Cat5 that AT&T had installed for phone/DSL. I pulled a replacement wire in place of the old one (they supplied the wire) and they got the gateway to sync without a problem.

Boxes were put on the upstairs and downstairs televisions and plugged into the existing Cat5 wall plugs. The little green "link" light blinked on and the set-top boxes downloaded some kind of update. While we waited for the boxes to update, we went through the installation process on the computer -- which consisted of opening up a browser. The browser automatically gets redirected to an AT&T registration page that takes about 30 seconds to complete. Wired network was up and running.

The wireless was a little more difficult. I had to turn off my wireless N router because it "conflicted" with AT&T's 2wire residential gateway. I had MAC filtering, security, etc. etc. on that N router -- which I ended up having to configure manually into my 2wire RG -- eventually. For the first 2-3 days, the wireless worked off and on. It would lose bandwidth and sometimes lose internet connectivity completely. TV was never interrupted. After a few days, things seemed to settle out.

TV was not a problem, HD worked right away. We have two TVs in the house and can have HD on both without a problem.

We really like the U-verse DVR setup. The UI is simple (unlike DirecTV) but not like something out of the 80s (like comcast). Channels change instantly and the DVR brings up recorded TV quickly. The whole-house DVR is great, but you can only set things to record or erase from the main DVR -- not the extra receivers. The install technician said there was an update scheduled for beginning of March that will enable extra receivers to act just like the main DVR. I'll believe it when I see it -- but the way it stands is not a big inconvenience.

Phone (VOIP) installed with no issues.

Bottom line is an easy install (if you have Cat5 wired through the house already), a clean and responsive DVR setup, seamless wired Internet, somewhat flaky wireless, hassle-free VOIP. A good alternative to the HTPC.

member for 6 years, 1 visits, last login: 6 years ago

Comments:

Review by attuser4 See Profile

• Location: Grayslake,Lake,IL
Good "Install was quick and easy, the coast, the features, everything really"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "If you can get Uverse, GET IT!!!"

Today I got uverse installed and so far so good. I ordered the u100 with hd, the 1.5 mbps insternet package, and uvoice. The install was suppose to come at 12 but ended up coming earlier. It took about 3 hours to install everything. The hd looks amazing and there are so many hd channels as well. The internet is great and so is the phone service. I really can't say anything else than getting Uverse was probably one of the best decisions I have made when it comes to entertainment. If Uverse is available in your area GET IT!!!!!!!!!!

Update 3/02:

Decided that the 1.5 mbps was too slow since I experienced lagging on xbox live when other people where on different computers at the same time so I decided to upgrade to Pro. It was really how cool how I did that to. After I placed my order for it it, my RG restarted and after it did, I got my Pro speed. I was really impressed with how fast it worked.

Comments:

Review by WhiteWizard See Profile

• Location: Madison,Dane,WI
Good "Good internet speed"
Bad "Wireless in my gateway stopped working for some reason"
Overall "Overall I really like this service"

I had my install last week 2/18/09 and everything went pretty smoothly,The tech showed up on time. We had to wait for installation and repair though for an hour because the prem tech was not allowed to fix it himself the problem himself which turns out that i was not hooked up in the terminal because I didn't have phone service since I moved here. I have 2 STB's and 1 DVR. The " whole home DVR" is great, now the wife and I can watch whatever we want instead of hogging the TV with the DVR

I ordered the U400 package and the 10meg internet, and the lady on the phone told me it was going to be 135/month.

The only bad experience I've had so far is that my wireless from the gateway hasn't worked in a week. I talked to a nice lady from tier 1, but she could not send out a trouble call for a wireless issue.

Comments:

Review by BruceN See Profile

• Location: Roswell,Fulton,GA
Good "Good install crew"
Bad "Choppy internet speed, not a good price"
Overall "Killed service durning 30 day trial"

I signed up for U200 T and net package. I currently have Comcast, and was not concerned about TV as much as internet. Found streaming internet to be very choppy even though we are right near the cross connect!

TV was OK, but Comcast gives me free HD on my sets without a box. Similar service with uverse on 4 sets would have been a giant cost!

Sticking with Comcast, waiting for 20 meg net.

Comments:

Review by Hookem99 See Profile

• Location: Pflugerville,Travis,TX
Good "Great price, Great internet, Good HD picture, No contract"
Bad "Only 4 total streams lacks most others"
Overall "Great product, great value, but not for everyone"

I ordered U400 TV and Max(10/1.5) internet.

From order to install, all the reps were very friendly and helpful. I did have to contact tech support after install, and the tech canceled my appointment. They did call and try to reschedule.

The internet is extremely fast and stable. Much more so than my prior 10/1 cable connection. I do not like the fact that the residential gateway is a 'all in one'. I would prefer to use my own router. With only a 4 port if you wire your receivers Cat5 rather than RG6, there is no room for other LAN components.

The TV area is were my biggest issues are. I have been using Uverse TV for one week. Coming from DirecTV, my expectations were high. Uverse has a great HD picture, comparable to DTV. However, I am going to cancel the TV portion of Uverse, only because of my personal preference. With DTV I have 2 HD TV's and 2 DVR's that I use regularly. I also record 1 or more HD programs while watching other HD programs quite often. I can not do this with Uverse yet. I also use my Over The Air antenna often. Uverse does not support this. I did have some issues with the DVR. Over the week I have had it, I scheduled 5 shows to record. Only 2 actually did. I also had to reset the unit often to get it to work. I do not believe these issues to be service related, as im sure I got a bad unit, which is not the fault of ATT. Uverse is a great option for a home with lite HD and DVR use, but at this point, it is not for me. I will not hesitate to switch back if they offer more HD streams and channels, which I am sure is in the future.

I did not purchase Uverse voice. However I would love to try it if the price were to fall in line with other VOIP company's. $40/mo seems a bit steep for VOIP service.

Overall, I have been very happy with the general experience of Uverse. I would recommend anyone to try it and form your own opinion.

Update 2/6/2009:

I had U-voice installed. While the service seems stable to this point, I have found the feature set to be extremely lacking compared to other, less expensive VOIP providers. I believe U-voice is a great alternative for someone looking to simply replace a POTS line, however, for someone looking for an advanced feature set, I would look else where.

Missing features I would use regularly:

1. Custom inbound caller id
2. Custom call routing(blocking/forwarding)- While you can block/screen calls(up to 20 #'s), the caller gets a message saying that they are being blocked/screened. There is no forward to VM or busy signal.
3. VM to email- You can get an email notification saying you have a new VM but there is not even a link to go get it. I like having the message delivered to my inbox directly. You can listen to messages in your CP! But again there is no link to this in the email notification.

These are simply my opinions, and I encourage you to form your own.

Comments:

Review by redfst See Profile

• Location: Port Saint Lucie,Saint Lucie,FL
Good "Solid internet, very good picture and great price package"
Bad "HD is not quite at Directv's level, but still a very good picture, no other issues"
Overall "Good product and happy with paying less money for more."

I used to have Directv for television service and Comcast for internet. Never had a problem with either, but those 2 combined versus using at&t uverse for tv and internet saves me about $60-$70 a month. There was never any DSL service where I live b/c it was one of the few pockets left out for some reason when the DSL boom began. A VRAD was placed at my crossbox last year and was finally turned up at the beginning of the year. I placed my order with a live person and ordered the U300 and the 6mg service. 10 and 18 mg service is also available with the UVerse signal, but the 6mg level was fine with me.

Install went very well. As a recommendation to any considering Uverse, ALWAYS ask for the first appointment of 8 to 10 am. Outside lineman called to say he was on way to test line and activate signal at VRAD. I am 1800ft from VRAD. Half hour later, inside premise tech called to let me know he was in route. Install was very easy for the inside tech. I have both coax and cat5 ethernet to my 3 tv locations and a homerun for the RG gateway from the NID to the master spot with all the cat5 wires that will go to the 3 tv locations. I wanted to and we used cat5 for the feeds to the 3 rooms. All 3 receivers worked right away and internet account setup and registration was a simple 5-7 minute process online. DVR works great and is a nice feature to be able to access recorded shows at the other receivers.

Overall, very happy with the product. I know that Uverse is still working out the growing pains, but in time will be a good product. It would be helpful to do your own research on the advantages and offerings for Uverse rather than from the business office b/c you will get a different answer every time in regards to asking an agent. Keeping it simple for the install such as prerun wires and not getting too complex with your order will greatly reduce any snags or problems during install.

Comments:

Review by dean_machine9 See Profile

• Location: West Sacramento,Yolo,CA
Good "FAST channel changes, 75 HD channels, clear picture, 18Mbps internet"
Bad "Fiber tech didn't show on time to install the ONT, delayed install by a day"
Overall "Great value for the money with $200 cashback + $50 visa card +$25 visa card = $275 in savings!!"

I had placed the order back on 12/17 because they were running a $50 visa card online offer if I submitted order by 12/20. Install was scheduled for 2/2 8am-10am (I didn't move in until 1/31), tech named Ed showed up promptly at 8am and I immediately could tell he was very knowledgeable and friendly, was very willing to help. After checking the wiring (new home already pre-wired with cat5 and coax), he found out that there is fiber going directly to the home (FTTP) but the fiber tech never came to install the ONT. He said he would have to return later that afternoon, and he escalated the issue to his manager so that the fiber tech would show that day. I was hesitant to believe that he would come back, but I was reassured when he gave me his cell number.

Ed did come back around 12pm and still could not find out why the fiber tech hadn't come to install the ONT. He was very persistent and would not give up on the issue, if it weren't for him, I would have cancelled everything and gone with Wave Broadband! He installed the HD- DVR receiver and the 2nd receiver with the 2WIRE wireless gateway and said the fiber tech should show later that evening and he even told me to call his work cell when he was at home so he could walk me through configuring the boxes once the ONT was installed. I was very impressed with his service!

Well, turns out the fiber tech didn't come by that evening and showed up the next morning, so I waited until I got home from work to call Ed, and he came over in a matter of minutes to make sure everything was working properly. It was! He then closed the ticket once he knew everything was working. Although I was disappointed that the fiber tech didn't come out before the install, Ed was so awesome that I was willing to overlook that.

Overall, I LOVE the service! Have the U200 with HD package, 2 receivers and 18Mbps MAX internet (no phone), got a fantastic deal with $200 cash back, $50 visa debit card offer, and another $25 debit cart for completing my order online! That's $275 total, gotta love it!