AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by iancaz See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
Good "Great installer, no contract, no equipment costs."
Bad "Bundled"
Overall "A Great alternative to cable, seeing MUCH faster speeds!"

I've tried Cox Cable & AT&T DSL. DSL speeds were horrible (1.5 on a 3meg line) & Cox continues to disappoint on both quality & service. I was excited to see the newest offering from AT&T.

If you order online you get a better price & more cash back. Also, by bundling in more features you also get more. Right now they don't bundle in Voice, but when they do, sign me up.

The AT&T U-Verse install was amazingly straight-forward & painless. The installer was pleasant & flexible on where/how I wanted things connected & placed.

The speed of the service is amazing & I haven't had any quality issues this first month.

Add me to the list of U-Verse "Fan Boys".

Comments:

Review by Vtr_Racing See Profile

• Location: Pflugerville,Travis,TX
Good "Great TV and DVR"
Bad "Bad for online gameing (so far)"
Overall "Would not recommend for gaming"

I hope ATT reads this. I am getting high pings while playing online games. I was not getting this with my DSL. It worked great with DSL and no TV/Uverse hooked up to it. I would like to change this part of the review for the better. If it happens I will update this review.

Comments:

Review by rerkert See Profile

• Location: Libertyville,Lake,IL
Good "U Verse Max is right quick!"
Bad "Higher latency,"
Overall "Install coordination was terrible."

After a month of terrible coordination by AT&T, I finally have U verse. I live close to the VRAD and get Max speed (10/1.5), and its great. The latency is a little high but I can live with it. The installation was okay, had to convince the tech to use Cat 5 instead of Coax. There is a mess of telephone wires in my basement that the tech didn't clean up, so I need them to come out and do that,

Comments:

Review by gachte01 See Profile

• Location: Austin,Travis,TX
Good "Reliable Internet, Great SD pic, Good HD pic, Large DVR capacity, Nice UI"
Bad "No Whole House DVR, Availability"
Overall "Good Value"

TV U300 + cinemax
Internet 10m down/1.5m up
did the order online without issue
install was done in just over 3.5 hours without issue
hardware one 2wire 3800HGV-B, one Motorola vip1216, and two Motorola vip1200
only had the service for about 3 months

The Internet throughput seemed exactly what I asked for just under 10m on download tests and just under 1.4m on upload test - the latency was about 10ms slower than my roadrunner

I have no idea why but our one SD TV has never had a better picture, the HD to me is just slightly behind TWC HD mainly due to occasional very brief but noticeable skips and a small amount of blocking

Overall for the price U-verse has value - movie channels, additional receivers, and wireless internet - web based DVR managment - plus hey it's IPTV and I like that idea. Yeah, paint me as a technophile.

The DVR capacity has really been surprising, several times more than I had before with my cable DVR - Another thing that surprised me was the User Interface - I had not seen any of the ads prior to getting the service but i really like the UI

Just to be clear - currently, I can only watch *TWO* HD programs period - doesn't matter if I use a different receivers - the limit for the whole house is 2 HD streams and 2 SD streams simultaneously.

Finally, I'm glad they implemented the 2 HD streams. So, there is still some hope for me waiting on the Whole House DVR this year.

member for 13.1 years, 112 visits, last login: 3.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by inkspot See Profile

• Location: Cupertino,Santa Clara,CA
Good "friendly personel, talk your ear off, and they call this excellent support."
Bad "pixelation, picture skip - sound continues, or not."
Overall "Don't bother, truly; walk away if you can, don't look back."

I was having hiccups with comcast in early 2007 when an AT&T salesman showed up at my door with a sweet package deal. In March 2007, I left comcast for AT&T U-verse. When AT&T arrived to install the package, I got four people that spent nearly four hours inside and outside my house; part of the 'sweet' package deal I suppose. I got this DVR that is so limited it's rather sad in this millennium.

AT&T uverse was good stuff with some hiccups now and then until June 2008 when I had them on the phone for more than 20 hours, at my house five (5) different times to finally resolve the oddest problem and the one that repeats most often: pixelation. After much recourse, the 5th visit, the tech contacted sales and they gave me a month off my AT&T bill because of the sheer number of line errors. Kudos to the sweet people that suffer to work for AT&T.

Last week, AT&T uverse hammered the final nail in their coffin.

I play an online game called Everquest (EQ); have been playing since 2000. Up until last week, it was rare that the lag-o-meter (latency) in the game showed above 70ms (when I first played EQ, I was on a 56k dialup and that was never above 60ms!). On Monday, 8-11-08 at 12:49am, I was playing EQ around 63ms. On Tuesday, 8-12-08 just past 12am, the EQ latency doubled to 119ms. The detail that I know these exact times is interesting: illegal actions by others advertise directly at EQplayers. I have been collecting proofs of these actions via snapshots when they occur (for later legal actions against these scum).

I contacted Uverse technical support and was told by tier 2 that AT&T were only responsible for throughput, not latency. Over the course of that week, the TV reception began pixelating. I made an appointment with AT&T uverse, they arrived on Saturday afternoon, 8-16-08, replaced the gateway, fixed the problem of pixelation (the sound/picture error still occurs but less frequenty), and failed to address the latency problem. I contacted sales and was given an upgrade of a sort, it's going to cost me an extra $5.00, with 10Mb download and a 1.5Mb upload. The latency of their idea of download and upload is absurd; it takes time for it to become truly close to those speeds but NEVER reaches those speeds. In a sense, AT&T uverse is cheating its customers by not attaining that which they promise.

Suffice to say, I am done with AT&T uverse. As soon as I find a replacement service, not only will I never use them again, I am fully and completely against them. I view them as, tho' made mostly of sweet people, ...I was taught if you can't say something nice, don't say anything.

Now to address this issue to Sony and Disney. Dogs of War.

Comments:

Review by Klintus Fang See Profile

• Location: Tracy,San Joaquin,CA
Good "internet data is fast and reliable"
Bad "voip service goes out frequently. tv reliability is horrible."
Overall "excellent data service. non-data services are immature and unreliable."

I have the 6M download, 1M upload service.

data service is as reliable as my previous dsl service. upload and download speeds are also consistent. the only problem is that the 6M data service is tied to the TV and VOIP service.

the voip service goes out about once a week. usually only for 10 minutes at a time, but... compared to plain-old-television-service reliability (which didn't go out once in 15 years), the u-verse voice service reliability is pathetic.

u-verse television service is also unreliable. the quality is excellent when it works, but it frequently goes out as well. u-verse TV has gone out more times in the first 2 months of service then my dish network satellite did in 10 years.

the poor reliability of the voip and tv service continues. the dvr is also buggy. it sometimes corrupts the data file of the program recorded program. and the access to the DVR goes out whenever the Video on Demand service goes out.

the dvr freq

Comments:

Review by lkmd See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "fast upload, fast download"
Bad "double the latency, att customer service"
Overall "stay away and keep your sanity"

Had the opportunity to have both adsl (6mb/600kb) and uverse vdsl (10mb/1.5mb)
First two days my voice and data lines were routed incorrectly. My neighbor got my phone calls.
The digital signal was placed on wrong line.
That got sorted out and we were up and running. 9.5mb down and 1.5mb up
Everyone in the house was complaining the internet was slower??????
Turns out VDSL has twice the latency or delay. Go to yahoo.com and wait longer. Longer ping times locally and across the country. Really tried to like the service but at 20+ dollars a month could not justify a slower internet. Replaced router , line checks, etc. VDSL has LONGER LATENCY PERIOD......

Now the fun. Get adsl reactivated and cancel Vdsl. 5 hrs and 9 different operators, even the managers didnt know what to do. It was an ATT nightmare. Finally I found one tech in the level two tier customer support at 11pm at night who knew what he was doing.

Once again if it isnt broken do not upgrade!!!!!!
Bottom line ....Stay Away..... its not good for the internet period. lk

Comments:

Review by imakeholsinu See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis City,MO
Good "Fast Installation, better than advertised speeds, beats DSL for the price vs. speed"
Bad "Abysmal ordering, "one hand does not talk to the other" mentality of CSR and departments. Notes on order ignored."
Overall "You shouldn't have to fight for a service you want to pay for...."

My debacle with U-Verse started when I noticed my Dry Loop went from 23.99 for 1.5Mbps to 29.00 in just one month after I was told that I would have it for a full year at the 23.99 price. After speaking retentions on how/why my bill was inflated to this price I asked for U-Verse service which had been heavily advertised in my apartment complex almost since I moved in. The CSR did her best to try and sell me the TV package but I explained to her that DirecTV offered more HD channels and content then what she was offering. She then informed me I would have to pay for the 10/2 package just to get internet since DSL was available in my area. Livid, I asked for 3MB DSL which she promptly said was not available in my area which I knew was a lie since my neighbors have it. AT&T is trying desperately to get people off of the DSL line and move them to U-verse type service so if you are a DSL user take this as a warning.

The CSR then attempted to sign me up for u-verse service but her system software was having all sorts of issues and kept crashing on her while she was trying to place the order. She said she would call me back later in the day once she got the issue resolved and was able to talk to her manager to get my dry loop disconnected. Another thing they told me was that I needed to have my dryloop disconnected at least 24 hours prior to installation. Not that big of a deal but I do work in IT and I do get off hours calls where I need to VPN into work from home. Finally I get a call back from the CSR who finishes the order and makes the appointment for a tech to come out to my apartment on a Tuesday. I take a half-a-day of work on tuesday in order to wait for the CSR who is to show up between noon and 2pm. I was running a bit late because of a personal issue and I phoned AT&T to see if they had already dispatched the tech and to let him know I was 10 min away from home. Dispatch had no knowledge of an order and orders only saw a canceled order. No one could tell me who canceled the order because I sure had not canceled the order myself. By this time it is to late to send a tech out so I ask if there is another time slot available tomorrow in the morning to which AT&T responds "Yes between 8 and 10am". Perfect, so I call into work and say I will be out for the day. AT&T even calls me at 8pm in the evening to confirm my appointment in the morning. I wake up and get ready to wait for the tech to come out. 10:30 rolls around and still no call or sign of a tech. I call into AT&T and they have no record of a tech being dispatched at all today. I have them check the notes in the account which say there is supposed to be someone coming out today which they finally are able to do and say I've been scheduled for the afternoon...EVEN AFTER THEY CALLED ME THE NIGHT BEFORE TO CONFIRM A MORNING APPOINTMENT!

Finally the tech arrives in the afternoon. He is very nice and I feel bad because it is pouring down rain when he is at the loop (which is less than 500 feet away from my apartment). 30 minutes later he rewired my one and only phone jack and set up the gateway. I thank him and I do a speed test. I pay for 6MB, I get about 8MB since I'm so close to the loop. He said that at the loop they get 43% load, at my jack I got 45%. Set up was a breeze and I was able to use the firewall fairly easily to setup my port configurations since I had experience with a prior 2wire DSL modem/gateway.

Aside from dealing with a flaky ordering system and a CSR bureaucracy more inept than our present government I'm satisfied with the service I'm receiving. Though it did cost me an extra vacation day.

member for 6.2 years, 1554 visits, last login: 1.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by tkarr See Profile

• Location: Deerfield,Lake,IL
Good "none"
Bad "24 hour tech support not on weekends"
Overall "I cant wait to go back to comcast"

I am now in the fourth day of my 4 hour install no internet,phone,tv the install techs dont have a clue at one point i had three techs at my home for hours they dont even know what dvi is tech support no help two days in a row i was told they would finish my install NO SHOW & NO CALL when i do get to talk to a real person they lie & say that we are very sorry and it wont happen again i have given up as soon as i repair my home network system that worked fine before they showed up i will be calling comcast & beg them to take me back

THEY CANT EVEN SCHEDULE AN INSTALL

Comments:

Review by ajmckay See Profile

• Location: Auburn Hills,Oakland,MI
Good "Seems like a decent competitor"
Bad "I feel somewhat cheated switching from Comcast"
Overall "I'm satisfied for now."

It started with 2 very professional looking older salesmen coming to our door. My wife talked with them for about 30 seconds then came in and said that I should check it out. So after talking with them I decided, based on what they offered, that it might be worth the risk of switching from Comcast, who I have had superb service from for the past 9 years. Here is what I told the salesman we had:

Comcast extended cable, high speed cable internet, $75 per month. Granted I think this was a promotional price, but all I had to do was call and ask for it and they gave it to me.

I asked him if he could beat this. He replied that for $64 per month I could get:

a free DVR, no contracts, a free wireless router (I already had one so that wasn't a major point), AND all the same channels that I already had (I specifically asked about comedy central, cartoon network, golf channel, and discovery), and 3mbps "fiber optic" internet that "has no shared bandwidth, so it will seem as fast as the comcast 6mb connection".

The nearest install date was about 20 days away, on a saturday morning. So I signed up since they gave me the premium cable package free the first month, and a $100 bonus.

The install took about 5 hours, which was surprising given our small townhouse with only 1 computer and 1 tv, but nonetheless I was satisfied as he was professional, funny, and did a good job. Most of the time he spent in his truck it seemed though waiting for a second installer to come out and "upgrade" an older phone line coming to the house.

So the service is up and running and I must say that I did like some things right away:

1) The TV picture seemed to be a smidge better than comcast. And channel changing is much faster.

2) The DVR works flawlessly and I love it

3) all the channels!!! woohoo HBO! (but only for a month...)

4) The 3mb internet gives me respectable ping levels. I tested my comcast cable at www.speakeasy.net and I got a solid 6.7-7mbps with 1.5-2.5 upload. My new speed was exactly what it said it was.. 3mbps download and 1.2-1.5 upload. My half life 2 ping was a decent 40-60, which is about what I had before.

Okay, so now onto what I don't like about the service:

1) The channel packages are more scattered than with Comcast. With AT&T you have a choice of 5 different packages, and when we signed up the salesman said that those channels I mentioned (discovery, cartoon network, comedy central, golf channel) were on the cheapest package that would cost me $64 per month. Turns out that the channels are NOT on the uFamily, but the U100 package and if I want the golf channel I have to go to the U200 package which would increase my bill to even more than comcast!!! On top of that, the uFamily package wasn't on the list supplied by the salesman, so when he showed me the listing I supposed that the U100 was the lowest and cheapest package. I suppose it's my own fault for not reading into it more before the install date, but I still feel cheated by the salesman.

2) The internet seems to work fine, but I specifically asked the salesman if I would be getting DSL and he said no, that it was "fiber optic" internet. No disrespect to DSL, but my only experience with DSL was not good, and every one of my experiences with cable internet have been phenomenal, so I said that I did not want DSL! Well... the installer came and of course went for the phone line and that made me suspect... Until I receive some more technical proof that AT&T isn't DSL I still think it is. And while the internet seems to be performing great, I feel misled by the salesman.

Bottom line:

The value of AT&T isn't really as great as they portray it as being... AT&T is a decent competitor, but doesn't offer a better service than Comcast... After the free month is over (in just a few days) I will have a nice, shiny DVR recorder, and a slightly better picture, which is really cool. But I won't have the golf channel or the encore movie channels which were included with comcast, and I wont have 7mbps internet. On top of that I'm going to end up paying the same price as with Comcast because the uFamily package doesn't have any good channels so now I have to get the U100. Now what if I want the 6meg internet? Now my bill is $85... and I only have one TV... at least with Comcast I was able to use a splitter and get extended cable on my basement TV... now it just sits there... Not worth the extra $10/month in my opinion to have it, but it was convenient before.

My advice is stay with what you have if you are happy with the service... I'm sure that Comcast and similar cable companies will be beaten by a really great media service someday, just not by AT&T U-verse.