AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

• Location: Willoughby,Lake,OH
Good "Picture Quality"
Bad "None Yet"
Overall "New service"

Uverse U400 plus cvoip (formerly two landlines) plus HD premier plus Elite internet (ported over from 6 mb DSL) installed in four hours on 26Jan09. Tech used my CAT5E locations with my permission and installed coax where necessary. Left me a New 8 port netgear gigabit router for my future use with Blue Ray, WII, and a couple of other devices. Wife marveled at HD quality compared to Dishnetwork. Of course no HD compares to 4DTV and OTA which I also have. Install went easy and learning curve has been okay. Only problem is the lack of an actual user manual for the DVR unit and slave units. My overall cost will be reduced by up to $60.00 per month with an increase in programming and services.

Price differential jump of $20 to go to 10 mb internet is a current stopper. The difference between Pro and Elite was only $5.00 per month.

Motorola vip 1200 and 1216 for TV's. Residential Gateway is from 2wire 3800 series with belkin battery backup for phone service.

Cost includes 3 Uverse TV boxes (one DVR), Internet, two digitial phones, and lots of programs with Full Moon VOD added.

member for 14.9 years, 104 visits, last login: 3.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by Carnifax17 See Profile

• Location: Richardson,Dallas,TX
Good "Works well, excellent install tech, good wireless, plays well with LAN"
Bad "Clunky migration of prior sub-accounts, 1st tier support incompetent"
Overall "Happy so far, decent throughput"

Here in Richardson, Tx have had legacy SBC FTTN for years but running at 1.5 Mbps which has been inadequate for awhile and non-upgradable. Many years ago we had such a bad experience with cable that we will never consider it under any circumstance. FIOS not available in neighborhood. AT&T replaced node 60 feet from house so we took advantage of introductory Elite 6 Mbps for 18 mos. for $27. Was not offered HDTV for now which was not a deal breaker because we prefer Dish's less compressed 1080p and HD selections anyway. Telephone sales confused about the difference between FTTN & FTTH. I called back twice to confirm FTTH and figured someone's pants was on fire when install tech arrived before any trench in the back yard. Not real happy with using existing CAT3 from box even if it tested strong. Got lucky with a very good install tech. U-Verse's installation program has a glitch with migrating old sub-accounts: one of our accounts was so old that we did not have the account password--going forward reset existing sub-accounts so had to go to 2nd tier install support to back out and re-install. The RG is a 2wire 3800HGV-B. We're running our LAN through an 8 port gig ethernet Linksys and took out a Ver.1 WRT54GS to run the 2Wire. I am very surprised that were no issues with getting everything up and running. Even got a much stronger wireless signal. Reset the password to 64 random character ASCII password and now everything chugs along well. Happy campers all.

Comments:

Review by tyspeed29 See Profile

• Location: Simi Valley,Ventura,CA
Good "Its a dedicated connection, and fiber to atleast the curb, fast"
Bad "Connection sharing with your HD signal tend to slow connection, or vise versa"
Overall "The picture is great on every channel, HD channels are great also."

·Charter
I have only been with ATT uverse for a week now, starting to figure out all the little things, like when set top box is out of sync you get audio but no picture, then you have to reset the box, the Fiber DSL is good, but having a dedicated line, compared to cable is better. The picture quality of HD, some channels are comparable to Time Warner, but other are not. Some of the channels the picture is so dark, you can barely make it out. Not so with my time warner box. Overall a good setup, ATT has somethin good here, now they just need to get all the kinks out of it.

Comments:

Review by kcurtis0 See Profile

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "Crystal clear reception and fast Internet connection"
Bad "Took nearly six hours to install"
Overall "Great price, great service, great alternative to cable"

I ordered ATT U-verse last month. Thankfully I ordered it early because the technician told me that AT&T is no longer accepting orders in Central Florida due to the demand. I've had AT&T DSL for years and cable for television. Since I live in an apartment, satellite is not an option and I've wanted to kick cable to curb for years. Now I finally got the opportunity!

I ordered the AT&T U-verse 400 package. I was given a special price of $145/month for my video as well as 18Mbps DSL. The U-verse 400 package has every imaginable station available. It has more high-definition channels than cable (not sure how many its too much to count).

The technicians showed up at their scheduled appointment time. Here in Central Florida, U-verse requires a field/plant technician to run all the wires and connect the frame. Then an inside technician installs the U-verse Gateway (2Wire) and all the receivers. Because I'm the first in the neighborhood to order it, the technicians were a little uncertain about the wires in the apartment but it has worked great so far.

Both technicians and the supervisor were awesome! Both had pleasant attitudes and were great to work with. The inside technician even upgraded our DVR to a 360GB hard drive!

The only downfall that I've found is that with the U-verse, all the receivers are connected via Ethernet to the gateway. If your house is not already wired with Ethernet, you will have to run Ethernet. In some cases, the technician can do it for you but be prepared in case he can't.

Comments:

Review by pmcatl See Profile

• Location: Alpharetta,Fulton,GA
Good "Promise of service down the road"
Bad "A NIGHTMARE THAT WON'T GO AWAY"
Overall "Absolutely the worst technology experience ever."

I am a technology savvy person that loved the promise of what U-verse could offer in my home. I was notified that U-Verse was available in my area, and made the call to switch in December. On December 5th, I was scheduled to have my system installed, but no one showed. After THREE HOURS on the phone, a technician was sent to my home in the afternoon. He told me that I was having six boxes put in my home, and warned me that the system would not do what the sales rep told me it would do - 2 HD signals and 2 SD signals. I tried to call the sales guy, but couldn't get anyone, so I told the technician not to install the system until we could figure this out. We rescheduled the installation for January.

I called AT&T to get an update at the beginning of January, and was told that my order had been CANCELLED. I restarted the process with another sales rep - and a date was set for installation. When that date came, once again no one showed up. After FOUR HOURS on the telephone, a crew was sent to my home. After a brief inspection inside, he went outside to begin the work, and found that there was no signal at the interface box. He sat in my driveway for TWO HOURS trying to get someone to fix the problem, with no luck. Three more days passed, and they said they were ready to go. The installer was a nice guy, and did a great job, and the television and internet were finally working, along with my two phone lines that were ported from Comcast.

Last night, my daughter called me and told me that she called the house, and received a message that the number had been DISCONNECTED! I called AT&T, and was told that there was an order to disconnect that number, which wasn't true. Today, I have spent over TWO HOURS trying to find someone to get the line reconnected, without success. I just get more numbers to call.

If I had this to do over again, I would never do it. U-Verse needs to get serious about Customer Service, and assign Project Management at the first sign of an issue. Instead, huge amounts of time are wasted by both customers and AT&T people. The saddest thing? No one seems to care - they just push it off on others. There is no name, address, or number to call to make anyone aware of this disaster.

Comments:

Review by brockalee See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Duval,FL
Good "Reliability, Upstream, Firewall, Programming, Features & Intuitive Interface, No Contract"
Bad "May cost more than some other options, cap is comming, uses mail by yahoo,"
Overall "I'm happy with the service and don't feel like I'm getting ripped off."

I started with Comcast, paid a lot, hated the DVR and I went to DirecTV.

With DirecTV, I liked it.. But I kept Comcast for the internet. Plus there were clouds to deal with..

Now I have U-verse @ 6Mb and their lowest level HD package, HD DVR receivers and two additional standard receivers (that can watch the DVR programming) for $133/mo.

I was paying more for the 8 or 10Mb, but honestly I'm fine with the 6Mb - and that surprised me. Torrents go around 900KB/s when there are lots of seeds.

I will try the VOIP when it is available to me. I'd recommend this service.

Comments:

Review by sam98177 See Profile

• Location: Orange,Orange,CA
Good "Clear picture, whole house DVR (1 main, 4 additional), stable internet (10 mb), cheaper TV package than Dish or Cable"
Bad "TV picture sometimes lag or pixilates, can't set recording from other receivers"
Overall "TV, Internet & Phone better than cable or satelite in pricing, stability and quality"

I've used COX and Time-Warner for all services. I've used Dishnetwork for TV. The order and install process is the same for all. I consistently had service problems with Time-Warner; Internet stability was not good; if Internet went down, so did telephone. Quality of TV was poor on many channels with Cable compare to good quality of Dish or Uverse. Quality of tech or customer supports is poor with all companies, although no need for tech support, yet, with Uverse.

Comments:

Review by ALFinet See Profile

• Location: Fontana,San Bernardino,CA
Good "Speed, Price, Picture Quaility, Quick Install"
Bad "STBs freeze while watching TV, can't customize network info"
Overall "Will update next month"

-- Pre U-verse availability --
After my many connection problems with Adelphia, and then Time Warner cable I switched to AT&T DSL (elite, 6Mbps/768K). AT&T DSL was rock solid for over a year and never disconnected. I was getting speeds of 5Mbps/512K (due to my distance maybe?)

As I noticed the VRADs were installed and had power I checked online and it allowed me to place an order for U-Verse (3 days after my order, I received an e-mail notification that it was available in my area).

-- Online Ordering --
The online ordering process was simple to follow yet confusing because I wasn't sure what package I wanted. After matching what I had with Time Warner Cable to AT&T channel line up, the U200 had all the channels we watched with cable, plus more HD. I ordered online, which gave me $10/mo off my internet price, and a $200 rebate that I'm supposed to receive after the 1st month.

-- Package Selection & Provided Equipment --
Programming Profile: 2 HD / 2 SD
Basic Service Level: U200
Added High Definition (HD) channels: Yes (additional $10)
Internet Max 18 - Up to 18.0 Mbps downstream and up to 1.5 Mbps upstream

Router/Gateway (RG): 3800HGV-B Gateway (Software: 5.29.105.94)
DVR STB (1 total): Motorola VIP 1216 ( »www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/ ··· 16_US-EN )
TV STBs (6 total): Motorola VIP 1200 ( »www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/ ··· 00_US-EN )

-- Installation --
Since I have Fridays off, I scheduled installation for the next Friday (January 16th). The tech called at 8am saying he would be there at 8:30am. Once arriving he stated he checked the premises and said he would be back in 20 to 30 minutes because he had to go to the VRAD to switch the cables over. About 25 minutes later, he returned. We started where my DSL modem was and he replaced 2 port phone the outlet with a 4 port one- 2 ports for DATA, 2 for POTS. He also had to bond two pairs of copper phone line together at both the DMZ and where the wall outlet was. From here we ran Cat 5 with a RJ45 jack on it from the wall outlet to the RG.

Then we connected the router to my existing network, and using the coax line I had for my cable internet many months ago, we fed the TV signal back to the splitter for the rest of the house.

-- TVs --
All STBs except the one in my room was connected via coax. The tech had to replace most of the ends on all coax in the house because it wouldn't work properly for the signal the way they were. I cannot tell the difference between the coax STBs and the Ethernet STB!

The STBs respond almost instantly to commands- even changing the channel is QUICKER than regular cable. The Adelphia/Time Warner STBs were a joke- the button responses were slow to non-existant sometimes.

I cannot stress enough about the quality on ALL channels! I have never seen picture and sound so clear! Lately I find myself watching the HD channels on non-HD TVs as these STBs will down size the picture to fit the TV. Even my 20+ year old Zenith in the garage looks like it's a HD picture. The only down fall is the non-DVR STBs can NOT pause/rewind live TV. However- you can pause/rewind/fast-forward any recorded show from ANY STB!

The only problem is that you can only have 2 incoming HD streams and 2 SD streams at once- if you try to watch any other channel you'll be informed of this situation and it gives you options to either watch an item from the DVR or turn off the other STB.

-- DVR capability --
The storage capacity in the DVR box is massive compared to the measly 20 hours of HD my Time Warner box gave me. You can only do DVR functions such as setting schedules, view upcoming, etc etc from the main DVR box OR from online!

-- Internet --
I was pretty happy with my AT&T DSL, the U-Verse Internet is fast. Speakeasy speed tests put me right where I'm supposed to be. If all the TVs are off I see 25Mbps/2Mbps- when people are watching TV I'm getting NO-less than 18Mbps/1Mbps.

-- Hardware --
The Router/Gateway provided seems sturdy enough. But as with more "simple" setups, I do not have options in this router to set my own DNS servers (I use OpenDNS). You also cannot change the DHCP range. I will have to for-go my OpenDNS unless I manually enter it into my devices.

-- Final Thoughts --
So far I am very pleased with the U-Verse service- The cost of my U-Verse service is exactly what my DSL & Cable bill together were. Hopefully being one service now I will see a reduction in taxes (but I'm not holding my breath- we'll see when the first bill gets here).

Currently the STBs like to freeze a few times an hour- A simple channel up, channel down solves the issue. While not an issue yet, I can see it will cause problems. I'm going to schedule a tech to come out and check signal next week.

Comments:

Review by clal2kjoy See Profile

• Location: Dallas,Dallas,TX
Good "none"
Bad "horrible customer service"
Overall "AVOID THE U-VERSE NIGHTMARE"

I am so upset with the service i received from AT&T U-verse that i am now considering dropping my mobile , house and internet services AT&T provides because i do not feel like giving money to a company that does not deserve my business any longer.

I was lied to by the door to door sales representative right off the bat. it will only be "$30, $30, $30 = $90" as part of the special promotion and for this price i would receive and extra receiver, hd programming and the 6mbps internet and my standard phone service. When the technician finally comes out, the work order is completely wrong, and they begin to tell me about all the extra costs and how the sales person does not work for them directly and it is not their problem that he lied. My total comes out to be $130 a month and on top of all that THE TV SERVICE IS RIDICULOUS. The HD channels look horrible, pixelation happens every couple of seconds during football games and the internet disconnects every time i turn on a receiver. I called tech help and was assured by them that by rebooting my gateway the problem would be solved, and it was ok for ONE day. I am canceling this service tomorrow and would URGE anyone in the Dallas area that is considering U-Verse to save themselves their time and money and headaches and stick with thier current providers. I am going back to Time Warner tomorrow!

Comments:

Review by user4275 See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Reliable, works as advertised, no long-term contract"
Bad "None, thus far"
Overall "Good value, if you're looking for a bundled Internet/TV/Phone package"

Prior to ordering U-Verse, my Internet service was provided by AT&T on the second to lowest speed tier (not sure what that's called) but it was pure agony (slower than dial-up) as I am 16,000 ft from the CO. My TV service provider was Comcast, and my home phone service has been with AT&T as well. After the installation of a VRAD approx. 900 ft from my residence, I proceeded to order U-Verse (TV and Internet) on 11/20/08. The install date was 12/10/08. Had I opted to include phone service in U-Verse, the install date would have been pushed into January 2009 which I didn't want, so I left the phone service out of the package.

I am now on the U-200 package (plus HDTV) including Elite Broadband (6/1) for Internet service. Needless to say that I am now surfing the web at speeds I have never before experienced at home, so there is really no fair basis to compare. On the TV side, I am receiving 2 HD streams and 2 standard streams. Very pleased with that so far, except the audio occasionally skips for a split second, but nothing that would annoy me major league.

As a result of not having my phone service on U-Verse, I had a problem with really bad static for about a month which was subsequently remedied by AT&T, after the holidays. Turns out, prior to installing U-Verse, AT&T overlooked that they had to remove a bridge tap on the pole behind my house. Once, that was taken care of, the static on the phone was gone. Overall, a very pleasant experience dealing with AT&T, and U-Verse is an enjoyable product, so far.

member for 11.2 years, 2096 visits, last login: 4 days ago