AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by jaywhit See Profile

• Location: South Bend,St Joseph,IN
Good "Good pricing. Fast connection."
Bad "Long installation time. Occasional problems with TV/cable service."
Overall "Cheaper than big cable company for near equal service."

Went with the Phone/Internet/TV bundle. Very competitvely priced. Installation took approximately 6 hours, and there were some problems with TV afterwards. However the internet connectivity was uneffected. It has been six months and the internet has been rock solid. There is an occasional hiccup on the TV side but nothing that has made me considering going back. The Total Home DVR which allows you to watch DVRed proograms on any tv in the house is an excellent feature. One minor drawback is the quality of the HD feeds does not seem to be as sharp/clear as Comcast.

Comments:

Review by nerd3d See Profile

• Location: Bakersfield,Kern,CA
Good "Better features than roadrunner"
Bad "Installer's phone system knowledge seemed pretty weak"
Overall "Better value than Roadrunner all in one deal"

This is AT&T's new all in one FiOS service. Cable TV, Phone service and Internet all in one. We opted for A pretty much every thing. Nearly 500 channels, 6mbps Internet and 2 phone lines. The whole operation is $164 / mo and there's no service contract.

We went down to a local AT&T store to place the actual order. I wanted clarification on some of the options and somebody to yell at if it goes sour. I'm glad I did that because the guy taking the order had a really hard time getting the order to go through.

The equipment is branded AT&T but it's Cisco at heart. They included an external Belkin UPS for phone service during a power outage.

I was surprised to learn that they don't run fiber right to the house. It's in the box at the end of the street. No matter, it works and so far it isn't flakey like DSL. During the setup we tested it uncapped... the link did 20mbps. Wow.

I wanted to keep my existing router as it's a gigabit setup and I need that for work in the office. I was surprised that it actually worked. One router to another and it's live. The only thing that I can't get working is port forwarding. I can't get it through both routers. I wish their box was gigabit so I could just use it.

The TV service (I keep wanting to call it "cable" and it really isn't) is fantastic. They included a DVR that can do 4 shows at once. The channel browser thing is really cool too. It has a search feature so you can find what you want in the hundreds of channels. The HD content looks fantastic and I believe it's sharper than the same stuff from Brighthouse. Their universal remote operated all our components new and old.

Right after the installer left I noticed a glitch with the TV signal I just switched from component video to HDMI and it fixed it. Not sure if that's a real problem or not.

We've only had it for 2 days so we'll see but so far it's been great. The Internet speed is constant right at the purchased bandwidth and is constant even during peak hours. The phone is clear and the TV picture is great. Thumbs up so far

Comments:

Review by StarFish267 See Profile

• Location: Fort Worth,Tarrant,TX
Good "Low Price"
Bad "If you live to far from V-Rad you get bad service."
Overall "If you can't get Verizon FiOS, and live in U-Verse area, Just do it."

·Cbeyond
·MetroPCS
My Install Tech Was Cool, Did it all perfect. I Love IPTV. U-verse Ain't for everyone, But Is truely for me.

Comments:

Review by gklimeck See Profile

• Location: Euless,Tarrant,TX
Good "2Wire Wirleless gateway Router is impressive for Range."
Bad "No VOIP yet"

I had the standard AT&T Yahoo DSL line for years and I finally had AT&T U-Verse (Internet Only) installed. VOIP is not here yet, but they are giving me the VOIP cost which is a deal. I waited 22 days to get a tech due to lack of engineers. The tech called me & showed up on time and was completed within 2 hours. No issues other than a broken 2Wire USB Wireless card that they provide.

Before the tech left, I logged on to my Apple iTunes account and downloaded a rental. A download on the old DSL too 4 hours and this took 23 minutes! Sweet!!!!

Comments:

Review by tekadikt See Profile

• Location: Wixom,Oakland,MI
Good "I love the speed. The install tech was great. Awsome HD"
Bad "Customer service waits, and order to install time unacceptable."
Overall "Worth the wait though."

I'm really enjoying the service. One drawback is 1 DVR per system, and I can't delete or record shows from other boxes, although you can record/delete from the internet, and watch your recordings on any set.

member for 12.5 years, 1276 visits, last login: 112 days ago

Comments:

Review by NowVOIP See Profile

• Location: Round Lake,Lake,IL
Good "Great SD quality, Huge Channel Selection, E & W Feeds"
Bad "Audio Issues, HDMI Headaches,"
Overall "A growing service with nice features, but some growing pains"

Have had U-verse since it became available in my area in May 08. So far the service has been decent. The SD picture is far better then, that of dish network or comcast. The HD picture is decent, but certainly not the best out there. Price wise it's about the best deal out there. Having both the east and west feeds of nets like TNT & TBS is an added bonus as well. Its a growing service so expect to have some issues, like any new service it has growing pains. The recent addition of 2 HD streams and THDVR (Phase 1) is a nice start, but the service still lacks some of the more advance features it could offer. It also needs to work out some of the bugs. Over all, its a good service for a good price, just expect to have issues with video and audio. But I would think as the service matures these issues should be fixed.

As for the internet portion of U-verse overall its pretty stable. Have had a couple issues were the wireless connection won't work on the 2wire. But these have been few and far between. The speeds have been inline with what one would expect from their package. Much better than DSL.

Conclusion: Try it out and see for yourself, but be warned it's still fairly new and so don't walk into thinking everything is going to be perfect and work just right, and then you won't be disappointed.

Comments:

Review by mjwise See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
Good "Fast, reliable for me, reasonably priced"
Bad "Availability is spotty, not for the uber-hardcore"
Overall "If this available to you, try it out"

I moved into my new condo back in April 2008. My options for internet/cable were Comcast or AT&T. I had wanted to try out U-verse at my previous residence but it wasn't available.I placed an order via phone for U-100 (one TV only - you cannot order U-100 online, you have to call) + Pro (3Mbps) internet and set up an install date 2 weeks in advance (earlier dates were available - I was still in the process of moving at the time. Since my new place was in an area where only 768kbps DSL was available, I was allowed to order internet-only but the $95 installation fee would not have been waived then, so I decided to try out the TV option. When I moved in there was a rat's nest of coax wiring from an old satellite system so I removed all of it and decided to start from scratch.

On install day (a Saturday), I was given a window of 8-10AM and the tech arrived at 9:30. He was considerate and competent and was interested in listening to how I wanted my place wired. I wanted a very simple set up consisting of a Cat 5 "home run" bypassing the 40+ year old wiring in the walls) directly to the RG (residential gateway - VDSL modem + HPNA switch + Ethernet switch + wireless access point) with two more network drops to the first floor, one for TV and one for PC. I have an all Cat5 installation, and if this is an option for you, I would pursue it.

The tech was very efficient, didn't mind me watching/asking what he was doing, and my installation was finished by noon. He even wore plastic booties when he was inside. The TV receiver by far took the longest time to set up and it needed to download something like 4 or 5 updates which each took ~10 minutes each. That was the biggest snag in the whole install - it's kind of silly they need that many updates out of the box.

The internet is as advertised - 3 down/1 up 24/7. Latency is a tad higher because the DSL is interleaved but the gamer in the house has not complained.

The TV service is good. The guide interface is a lot nicer (both in eye candy and functionality) than the Time Warner and Comcast boxes I've used in the past, channel changing is nearly instantaneous, and the SD picture is flawless. When I go over to a friend's place and see analog cable SD, the difference is readily apparent even on older TVs. I have no HDTV to test with the service and I did not subscribe to the HD option. I very occasionally (1 a week) get stutter/freezing on a channel.

Overall I recommend the service and will be keeping it for the foreseeable future.

UPDATE: 11/08 - I dropped the TV service as I just didn't watch enough TV to make it worthwhile. I upgraded to 6/1 internet and it's fine. I plan on keeping the service unless AT&T's decides to take service caps national - then I will have to reconsider and possibly go to Comcast instead. My usage is generally under the current trial cap at 6/1 of 80GB a month but I may start doing more work from home and 80GB is way too stingy for a 6/1 service (you'll reach it in just 30 hours of downloading...ignoring any uploading!).

Comments:

Review by joeaseo See Profile

• Location: Fremont,Alameda,CA
Good "Excellent picture quality for standard definition TV, blazing fast DSL speed"
Bad "DVR features are hard to use"
Overall "Happy that I dumped Comcast/DirecTV/Dish Network"

I've been a PacBell/SBC/ATT&T customer so long that I had a static IP address that they charged me just the cheapest DHCP service. But I never really been happy with the DSL speeds (as low as 250 Kbps), so I was one of the first customers on the block to sign up for U-Verse service when it was available in my neighborhood (with telephone poles still running in the back). I consistently get 6.6 Mbps on my Ethernet connection, 1.1 Mbps on my 802.11g connection, and 1.8 Mbps on my Airport Express (802.11n) connection. I telecommute to a major computer company, so a high speed connection is mandatory to run VPN sessions.

And did I mention that I get a great TV picture too (U-Verse 300 package).? After fair to middlin' service from TCI/Comcast/DirecTV/DishTV over the past 11 years, the picture on 36" CRT TV rivals those $1000+ flat panel displays (and I didn't have to pay extra for all the frivolous HiDef programming packages).

I got a steal...

Comments:

Review by otterson See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "fast & cheap"
Bad "unreliable, unstable, and the poorest of customer service"
Overall "not ready for prime time"

I was very excited to hear about AT&T U-verse, and was very much looking forward to getting free of DirecTV.

I asked the door-to-door sales drone if I could still have a static IP, like I had with my Extreme 6.0 DSL from BellSouth, and was assured that it would be no problem.

I asked when the Total Home DVR service would be active,and they said "the end of this month" -- which was September.

So, I went ahead and scheduled the install.

On the install date, at about 8 AM, a serviceman replaced the NID on the side of my house, and then fussed with the wiring from there to the VRAD. He said that the error rate was too high to be succesful.

At about 9 AM, the inside guy came, and I asked him about the static IP. "I'm sure that's
no problem."

By then the outside wiring guy had swapped my phone pair to the VRAD with a less noisy pair. By this point there were four AT&T vehicles outside my house. The cable tech said "this will never work here, they never should have sold this to you. You are 4,100 feet from the VRAD, and this is only supported to 3,000." The inside guy disagreed with him, and continued the installation.

Now it's 6:30 PM, and the DVR and other set top box is installed, and the internet connection finally set up and working. No static IP. The tech told me that would get straightened out the next day (wednesday)

Using the internet that night, the second thing I noticed (the first was that browsing was fast) was that my VOIP calls were suffering from a high degree of packet loss and jitter. Not good.

The next day, I get a call -- we are still working on your static IP. Then, on Friday, I got a call that said they could not deliver the static IP, and that the salesperson must have been confused. Hmmm. Not good.

When I got home from work that day, one of the TV set top boxes had failed, and there was no TV to be watched in our family room. Not good, either. That got fixed two days later, when the installing technician came out and replaced the set top box.

The next thing I noticed was that there were significant drops in audio on the optical digital output from the DVR, long enough to miss words and phrases while watching TV. more un-goodness.

The final straw was trying to watch recorded programs on the DVR one day. The programs apparently recorded, but would not play.

Thankfully, I had not yet canceled my DirecTV service, so I hooked up the DirecTV set top boxes only lost 2 days of recorded TV programming. My family was not happy.

I canceled the U-Verse service after 10 days, and asked that my DSL service be restored, so I would not have a long interruption in internet service. Well, apparently AT&T does not like it if you call their baby ugly, because the turned off my U-Verse service, and could not get the DSL going again within 5 days, at which point I ordered Comcast internet service.

This review, while negative, does not properly describe my level of frustration dealing with "the new AT&T", the countless hours on the phone, etc. I can say that I was very disappointed with their service, and they just did not care. This new AT&T is not like BellSouth, which was basically a local company that actually cared about their customers.

Bottom line is that I canceled U-Verse, and then canceled my DSL service when they could not get it turned back on even after 5 days and countless phone calls. My wife and I were so frustrated with the new AT&T that we also canceled our local telephone service with them, too. Now using Comcast for voice and data. At least they seem to care a little.

I strongly encourage anyone thinking of switching to U-Verse from something that is working to think again.

Comments:

Review by wrenchinfool See Profile

• Location: Lakewood,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "i like the amount of channels in the package internet is ok speeds could be better for price"
Bad "hdmi support/optical support i still cant seem to find the right settngs for my tv without having to stretch channels"
Overall "so i am happy with the service i havent used the technical yet so we will cross that bridge when i come to it"

i have ut400 hd tv package with motorola boxes /internet is the pro-package i havent been able to run any of speed tests so i still have to figure that out i do wish the uploads speeds were faster but that should come later/the one thing that is better so far is commication when they added channels i knew it was coming or changed anything so far i was informed, when i had cox they didnt tell you, it just popped up one day/the one thing i didnt like was the fact they used the old cable wire instead of installing new if i would have known this i might ran my own cable

member for 10.8 years, 447 visits, last login: 1.8 years ago