AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by ryanrands See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "Speed and stable service and a more or less static IP for a reasonable price"
Bad "Upload speed - the install was quick, but they ran a temporary line and it took 2 weeks and multiple calls to fix"
Overall "The broadband part of U-Verse is great along with TV service"

I've been a customer of SBC DSL (now at&t), Qwest (wanted to stab myself in the eye - who's business plan was it to give *everyone* IDSL?!?) and recently Comcast.

I ordered the Elite package (6/1) for $35 and I'm very happy with the speed. I'm getting about 5/1 in practice, but it's plenty quick for basic browsing. I would really prefer a faster upload and I think that a 1.5 cap is pretty pathetic. 2-3 Mb up would be much more acceptable.

I pay about $110 total for TV and Broadband (including HD and currently 2 of the 3 free set top boxes) (see my thread about separating triple play prices: »[request] Price/month for "Fiber To The Home Providers" mislea). I originally looked at phone service, but they aren't offering digital voice in my area, so the POTS would have been like $40 more. We kept Comcast for phone service because it's only $25 total and they offer web-based v-mail retrieval (how weird is it to get phone service from cable and TV from telco?!?). When at&t offers digital voice here we will switch because it will be cheaper overall.

One time after a power outage the service didn't come back and I had to manually refresh the IP from my router. Overall the service has been great. The U-Verse install techs seem pretty well trained and knowledgeable. The tech arrived on time and worked quickly. Except for taking 4 or more calls and two service tech visits to bury a temporary line, I've had no complaints. I quickly realized the difference between the actual U-Verse staff and the old school POTS phone support and onsite techs. When we wanted to add a second STB, at&t did it for free which blows my mind. That's great service. I love the flexibility the service has to run wiring over cat5/6 or coax. I have both running in my house depending on the room, etc. The RG seems to be very stable and I'm now running it up to an old MS BB router and then out to 3 more wired and wireless routers/switches with no issues. I've had some pretty severe issues in the past with provider modems, but this one seems solid.

Although the HD picture isn't as good as I've seen, overall I love the TV service. Surprisingly HD actually looks alot better on the new 40" Samsung 1080p LCD in the bedroom than it does on my 57" Sony 1080i rear projection, even though the picture is only around 1080i anyway. There's supposedly HD upgrades coming in the near future and we just got a second STB to take advantage of Whole Home DVR. Although some features are currently missing (adding/deleting shows from non-DVR) the service is pretty awesome and the web remote will do most everything, including deleting shows.

Can't wait for DVR in the cloud, but content owners are the main roadblock to that happening. at&t already has the technology to deliver, they will just need to add a few more hard drives.

Shopping for the service online was very straightfoward and although we did call once to get more info on price and features (around digital voice availability), we got all of our questions answered up front so there were no suprises on installation day.

Comments:

Review by crwolv See Profile

• Location: Trenton,Wayne,MI
Good "fast,reliable,good service!!!"
Bad "none"
Overall "Great for price!!!!!"

Love it no problems EVER!!!!

member for 12.5 years, 159 visits, last login: 4.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by mjt5282 See Profile

• Location: Old Greenwich,Fairfield,CT
Good "DHCP (no more PPPOE),sticky IP, fast DNS, seems fast so far,can use own router with DMZ+"
Bad "none found so far"
Overall "VDSL faster than ordinary DSL, seems good value for money"

VDSL from AT&T UVERSE seems great so far, simple install, I used my existing Linksys router in DMZ+ mode, so my local LAN settings didn't change at all

Stable so far, the RG (the residential gateway) seems like an impressive piece of equipment

Speed was slower than I was paying for the first day, but the second day it improved after a power cycle of the RG.

Impressively trouble free installation. Time will tell if the service provided will be as stable as my previous ISP.

member for 13.5 years, 3119 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by DinnerOut See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "Cost, boxes included, internet speed, picture quality is impressive for as compressed as it is."
Bad "None...other than its a total cluster to move service to new loaction!!!"
Overall "Install was easy in apartment...but moving service is a pain!!"

On 1/25/06 I received 4 automated phone calls notifying me of my install, either way I really didnt mind.

Today, 1/26/08 I had U-Verse installed in Columbus, Ohio.

Install window was from 8-10am. Installer called at 8:15, said he would be there in less than half an hour. Showed up 15 mins later.

He came in a scoped everything out and then went over to the VRAD. I am 541 ft (line distance) from the VRAD (according to tech). I had 3 TVs installed, the 1 DVR and 2 STBs.

There were no issues at all with the install, he went around to all of the phone jacks and did the tests he needed to do. Got the gateway plugged in and he went off to lunch for 30 mins. During that time I set up the remotes on all 3 TVs and made sure the STB set ups had power and were connect to the boxes. While he was gone the gateway synced in about 15 mins.

Once he came back he ran the Ethernet from the gateway to the DVR. Powered it on and everything came up just fine. I played around with that for a bit while he went outside to install the box on the side of the building. He then came back in and hooked up the gateway to the existing coax and we went upstairs to plug those boxes in and make sure things were alright.

All and all the install took about 5 hours. The installer was very professional and did a great job.

Once the DVR came up and I was viewing some things in HD I did notice a little lip flap/sync issues but those seem to come and go. I know its a new technology so things like that will happen.

I have the 6/1 internet pkg. My ping times right now seem to be in the area of 50-60ms. That isnt bad but its not great...I do play some PS3 games online so we'll see how that goes.

Speed tests seem to be right in the neighborhood of where they should be.

The 2Wire gateway is not bad and fairly easy to set up and manage. Have not used tech support yet but will be making a phone call to double check the discount/money back offer that I should be receiving.

Overall I'm impressed so far and I hope ATT keeps it up.

_____________________________

1/29/08

Called ATT yesterday to just make sure that things with my account are kosher.

The first ATT number I called was to actual ATT and I had to be transfered to the U-Verse people.

Once there a really nice guy answered my questions.

- I made sure that my account has the 10.00 bundle discount.
- And that I would be receiving the 100.00 money back offer as well.

Should have asked for a direct number for them, but I didn't.

_______________________________

1/31/08

Got a call from the supervisor of the installer. He asked me a few questions about how the install went. He asked some basic questions, did the installer wear his boot covers, did he offer to go over everything, was he on time...I had a great experience and made sure I let this supervisor know that.

I did let him know that on the local NBC station in SD I do get some flash frames of green, and on a few channels, only every few days or so the audio cut out happens, HD or SD. (SD - boxes are connected via RCA cables & HD - box connected via Component)

He offered to send someone out but I'm okay with it right now it does not seem to be a huge issue.

Also told me to save his number and to give him a call if anything at all comes up and I dont feel like I'm getting what I'm paying for. Thought that was a great gesture and great customer service on their end.

_____________________

8/6/08

Its August already...I'm going to be moving the service in a few weeks and the way they want you to go about that is so dumb.

They send you a box, ship your gear back to them, then they send a tech out to set everything up with NEW gear. I'm not happy with their handling of that but we'll see what they can do for me if they want me to stay.

I also now have the 10/1.5 internet package. Along with the adding of the HD channels things have been going well.

I wish they had a better procedure in place for moving the service.
________________________________

8/27/08

I'm moving into a new place and I have everything set up to be installed in the new place.

Though I'm not moving into the new place until October, so it'll be a little while without U-Verse.
_________________________________

10/11/08

Got my U-Verse installed. The U300 and 10mb internet.

Great installer, had a few little issues finding the home run from the VRAD on the blue pair so he ended up switching to the green pair and it worked just fine.

Really happy to have the service again, like the DVR a lot and its nice to be able to play PS3 games online again.

Have I mentioned that its a pain to move service to a new location?

Comments:

Review by emead See Profile

• Location: Danbury,Fairfield,CT
Good "Good service, faster then DSL"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Good service in my area, with fast enough for now speeds."

10/1.5Mb service. I never had problems with my ATT DSL and probably won't with ATT U-verse. Install went as planned, but I had them just use what I had already installed for my network.

member for 13.9 years, 8092 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by Obideuce See Profile

• Location: Grand Blanc,Genesee,MI
Good "Beautiful IPTV service, THDVR, Stable internet"
Bad "distance limitations beyond 3000ft, ordering system hits too many systems"
Overall "Great, Stable Service. Dedicated to making my exp. great."

I am on the elite speed, coming from Elite ADSLl, and am very happy. installer was knowledgeable, but my order was all screwed up. i actually got as far up as the VP of ATT Michigan before the issue got resolved. But, once they dedicated people to me, it was fixed in a day.

HDTV service is gorgeous, despite the negative reviews I've read here. They must have line issues, as my initial HD quality was poor before the bridge taps were found that were laying on my line.

overall, I'd recommend. Stick with it thru all the order issues, and you'll definitely be satisfied. AT&T Utalk page about my issues: »utalk.att.com/utalk/board/messag···.id=730&

Comments:

Review by timex18 See Profile

• Location: Davis,Yolo,CA
Good "Fast, cheap, and it just works, plus no caps!"
Bad "Can lag at times, wireless is mediocre at best, HD so-so"
Overall "Cheap and fast with TV and internet in 1 package"

Ordered U-verse with U-300 tv package with HD and Elite 3.0-6.0MB down/ 1MB up internet and it was installed 20 days later. I was switching over from ATT DSL/phone service. Order was pretty easy and the install was painless. Took the tech about 3 1/2 hours to install. He was very nice and confirmed everything for me and made sure all was working right before I left. TV works like it should. It does look like their HD isn't as crisp as what I had with Direct TV. DTV looked great on our set. U-Verse HD is still better than SD but not nearly as good as DTV. Channel changing is super quick and the DVR is very user friendly. Called up ATT and had POTS canceled along with DSL line with no hassle.

I consistently get 5.8 MB download and 933 kb/s up even when watching a HD channel. I was getting a pretty big lag clicking on links at first but when I switched over to my Linksys N router and got my wireless from there it went away. Range and speeds are much better now.

I am getting the whole package for $59 for 6 months before it goes up to $79 because the rep was sorry they could not get out to me sooner. No contract so I can quit any time. Overall, I am pretty happy with everything and would recommend this service.

member for 11.8 years, 1477 visits, last login: 3.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by Horn951 See Profile

• Location: Corona,Riverside,CA
Good "Great speed for having 5 t.v.'s 2 wireless laptops & 1 desk top running off 1 router and stiil have a great internet conncection"
Bad "No bad points..Im not just limted to my house for wireless internet connection you can go to hot spots free of charge"
Overall "Cant get better than this elite package all t.v. channels + HD and internet for 150 & no contract term plus $200 dollars back"

The other options I had was dsl which I had with AT&T before I switched to there newley installed U-verse cable/fiber optic hybrid conncection I was paying $65 bucks for 300kbps download speed plus my another 25 for my land line with long distance I also had to buy a linksys wireless G router to be able to have a wireless connection for my laptop so were lookin at $90 bucks a month for dsl and my house phone plus the router which at the time was $120 plus Cat5 cables and one $75 dollar wireless notebook card alot of money right?..Well i got a knock on the door one day and it was AT&T customer service guy He was goin door to door down my street to let everyone know the there new U-verse service was up and running so he told me a little about the service than try to sell me the service I told him I dont know I dont want to pay the early termanation fee for the DSL I already had he told me you know what no bodys Knows tthis right now but if you go online and order a package you want ther is no fee as long as you stay with AT&T plus there is no contract and her told me the first 2months are free and that I can get $200 cash back depending on the package i get so I told him thanks for all the info and i went straight to my computer to reasearch this deal and the service well I ordered the Service online I got the best T.V. package they had with HD channels and I got 5 T.V./DVR/HDMI recievers one for each room the first 3 are free the other 2 were extra $5bucks a month..Than i upgraded my internet package to 600kbps+ which comes with a linksys wireless router and I got the long distance phone service... All i had to do is type all my info in and pick the day I wanted the guy to come and install everything than hit the check out button I didnt have to pay a penny plus I'm getin a $200 dollar check mailed to me + the first two months were free. to good to be true you say order it im saving so much money I had Dish Network for T.V. service there were charging me $85 for all the channels no movie channels I had to pay a extra $14 a month just for HBO. not Only that I wanted to upgrage my recievers cause i wanted HD cause I bought a couple of flat screens dish network said that a extra $15 dollars a moth for the HD channels for each reciever and another $10 for each DVR and I had to pay a extra $4 bucks per reciever a month to lease the Recievers from them..... I said F**K that I got all the movies channels all the HD channels 5 recievers all with DVR plus my internet service with WiFi and I can go any where they where there is a WiFi conncection for free plus my home phone with long distance all for $150 a month not strings attached cancel when I want THE BEST THING I DID...Alway Have A CONNECTION NEVER SLOWS DOWN EVEN WITH ALL 5 T.V.'S RUNNING EACH RECORDING 4 DIFFERENT SHOWS AT THE SAME TIME ALL IN HD PLUS HAVING 2LAPTOPS ONLINE DOWNLOADING MOVIES & ONE DESKTOP RUNNING MY WEBPAGE AND WHILE IM WORKIN ONLINE so if you want the best service at a great price and its available in your area dont think about it get it you will be glad you did it.

Comments:

Review by DynaPat See Profile

• Location: Bolton,Tolland,CT
Good "Good channel line ups"
Bad "Fails completely every 2 to 3 days."
Overall "No good at all - not working for me."

Here's my tale of woe after 2 months of UVERSE.

I was initially drawn to the AT&T Uverse package for a couple of reasons. 1, the channel line up for the money appeared to be better than what was being offered by Comcast. Comcast seemed to have a bewildering array of selections, and it seemed like I couldn't get what I wanted without going to their top of the line mega-digital package. I also poked around a bit right here at dslreports.com and it seemed that most were satisfied with UVERSE. Nobody at work I know has it so this was all I had to go on. We already had DSL. I forgot which one it was other than it was the mid-level speed which was more than adequate for my needs. Combining TV, Internet & phone service saved us a few bucks every month compared to what we had.

Not a big deal, but it should be mentioned. The installation was postponed twice. Luckily, since someone else was going to be home at the time, I didn't need to take any time off of work. If I had to take time off from work to be here two or three times for a no show I probably would be a little more upset about that. The installation apparently went smoothly and everything was working when I got home. The phone had not yet been switched over due to some screwup at AT&T, but so what? Not a problem, the phone still worked and life was good.

About a week later a tech came out here and changed the phone service over to the UVERSE system. Very nice guy, and within 15 minutes and a RG reset later everything was working.

Then the fun began. The very next day (less than 24 hours later), I couldn't make or receive telephone calls. TV & Intenet still working. I called the AT&T service, They were able to do something remotely to the RG and got it all working again. Hmmmm. Oh well, having been in electronics in one form or another for 35 years I as well as or better than most understand that s**t happens, things break, and nothing is perfect. That's life. Ok, I'll give them a pass on this one.

I wasn't keeping records, but maybe 2 weeks later it failed completely. No phone, internet or tv. No "BROADBAND" or "SERVICE" leds. Tried resetting the RG, checked to make sure everything plugged in, all the usual stuff. Nope, it's dead Jim. Called AT&T using my cellphone and reported the problem that morning before going to work. It was still out when I got home. On a lark, I reset the RG and it worked!

For the sake of brevity, there were 8 or 9 failures that followed that basic pattern. Several calls to AT&T service, tier 2, etc, ad nauseum. And here I am. 2 months later, and I still don't have a reliable service.

The techs have been in and out 8+ times now, have fiddled with the RG, fiddled down in the VRAD box, checked and double checked the new lines they ran, and have tried their best to get this pile of stuff working. It just leaves me with the sense that I'm nothing more than a beta tester for untested technology, or AT&T fired too many of their good knowledgeable people for the sake of management bonuses.

Hey - if the people that have this UVERSE service are happy with it and it's been reliable, that's great. Good for you, I'm happy it's working for you. Sadly, based upon my experience and the facts, I can not in good conscious recommend UVERSE to anyone.

They're supposed to come out again tomorrow and replace the RG and switch to another Port down in the VRAD. I really do hope this fixes it. I'm sure they hope it fixes it too as they can't be making any money from this customer if they're sending someone out here every 2 to 4 days and have yet to resolve the problem.

I will follow up with another more positive review if it works for more than 30 days without failing. I'm hopeful, but I don't expect this to happen.

While I was writing this, then entire service went out and came back twice.

Comments:

Review by rprather12 See Profile

• Location: Modesto,Stanislaus,CA
Good "Speed as sold (9500/1400), Excellent HD, DVR works great, Stong Wireless signal"
Bad "Can't seem to get the VOIP order correct - 2x's"
Overall "Had it for a few days and it's working great (still waiting for VoIP)"

First install was scheduled for about ten days ago. Tech showed up (late) and when we started comparing the order to what he was installing he said I hadn't ordered VoIP. After I showed him the original order form he said the node wasn't set up for VoIP so he would have to have that done and re-scheduled us for a week later for the install.

Second tech showed up (early) but again he said we weren't set up for VoIP. He detected (smart fellow) my irritation and decided to install the Broadband and TV and scheduled another appointment in a week for the VoIP addition. He did volunteer to set us up with a temporary number but that was not an acceptable solution since we would miss any calls to our regular number for a couple of weeks.

The install went well. He had trouble getting the line quality he wanted but found out it was their balun. He got that fixed, ran three coax runs under the house. Hooked up my main TV and added the HD that had been missed on the original order. He also added another SD TV that we decided to include.

Internet fired up right away at full speed and the change over of my account was easy since I was moving from an at&t standard DSL account.

Complete installation took about five hours and went fairly smoothly.

Now I am waiting for the next appointment to get the VoIP added.

Since I have a Macbook next to the TV that I had connected to my LAN I was pleased to find that I could run an enet cable from the back of the DVR to the Macbook and put it on my LAN without running additional wiring or using wireless.