AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by mjwise See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
Good "Fast, reliable for me, reasonably priced"
Bad "Availability is spotty, not for the uber-hardcore"
Overall "If this available to you, try it out"

I moved into my new condo back in April 2008. My options for internet/cable were Comcast or AT&T. I had wanted to try out U-verse at my previous residence but it wasn't available.I placed an order via phone for U-100 (one TV only - you cannot order U-100 online, you have to call) + Pro (3Mbps) internet and set up an install date 2 weeks in advance (earlier dates were available - I was still in the process of moving at the time. Since my new place was in an area where only 768kbps DSL was available, I was allowed to order internet-only but the $95 installation fee would not have been waived then, so I decided to try out the TV option. When I moved in there was a rat's nest of coax wiring from an old satellite system so I removed all of it and decided to start from scratch.

On install day (a Saturday), I was given a window of 8-10AM and the tech arrived at 9:30. He was considerate and competent and was interested in listening to how I wanted my place wired. I wanted a very simple set up consisting of a Cat 5 "home run" bypassing the 40+ year old wiring in the walls) directly to the RG (residential gateway - VDSL modem + HPNA switch + Ethernet switch + wireless access point) with two more network drops to the first floor, one for TV and one for PC. I have an all Cat5 installation, and if this is an option for you, I would pursue it.

The tech was very efficient, didn't mind me watching/asking what he was doing, and my installation was finished by noon. He even wore plastic booties when he was inside. The TV receiver by far took the longest time to set up and it needed to download something like 4 or 5 updates which each took ~10 minutes each. That was the biggest snag in the whole install - it's kind of silly they need that many updates out of the box.

The internet is as advertised - 3 down/1 up 24/7. Latency is a tad higher because the DSL is interleaved but the gamer in the house has not complained.

The TV service is good. The guide interface is a lot nicer (both in eye candy and functionality) than the Time Warner and Comcast boxes I've used in the past, channel changing is nearly instantaneous, and the SD picture is flawless. When I go over to a friend's place and see analog cable SD, the difference is readily apparent even on older TVs. I have no HDTV to test with the service and I did not subscribe to the HD option. I very occasionally (1 a week) get stutter/freezing on a channel.

Overall I recommend the service and will be keeping it for the foreseeable future.

UPDATE: 11/08 - I dropped the TV service as I just didn't watch enough TV to make it worthwhile. I upgraded to 6/1 internet and it's fine. I plan on keeping the service unless AT&T's decides to take service caps national - then I will have to reconsider and possibly go to Comcast instead. My usage is generally under the current trial cap at 6/1 of 80GB a month but I may start doing more work from home and 80GB is way too stingy for a 6/1 service (you'll reach it in just 30 hours of downloading...ignoring any uploading!).

Comments:

Review by joeaseo See Profile

• Location: Fremont,Alameda,CA
Good "Excellent picture quality for standard definition TV, blazing fast DSL speed"
Bad "DVR features are hard to use"
Overall "Happy that I dumped Comcast/DirecTV/Dish Network"

I've been a PacBell/SBC/ATT&T customer so long that I had a static IP address that they charged me just the cheapest DHCP service. But I never really been happy with the DSL speeds (as low as 250 Kbps), so I was one of the first customers on the block to sign up for U-Verse service when it was available in my neighborhood (with telephone poles still running in the back). I consistently get 6.6 Mbps on my Ethernet connection, 1.1 Mbps on my 802.11g connection, and 1.8 Mbps on my Airport Express (802.11n) connection. I telecommute to a major computer company, so a high speed connection is mandatory to run VPN sessions.

And did I mention that I get a great TV picture too (U-Verse 300 package).? After fair to middlin' service from TCI/Comcast/DirecTV/DishTV over the past 11 years, the picture on 36" CRT TV rivals those $1000+ flat panel displays (and I didn't have to pay extra for all the frivolous HiDef programming packages).

I got a steal...

Comments:

Review by otterson See Profile

• Location: Marietta,Cobb,GA
Good "fast & cheap"
Bad "unreliable, unstable, and the poorest of customer service"
Overall "not ready for prime time"

I was very excited to hear about AT&T U-verse, and was very much looking forward to getting free of DirecTV.

I asked the door-to-door sales drone if I could still have a static IP, like I had with my Extreme 6.0 DSL from BellSouth, and was assured that it would be no problem.

I asked when the Total Home DVR service would be active,and they said "the end of this month" -- which was September.

So, I went ahead and scheduled the install.

On the install date, at about 8 AM, a serviceman replaced the NID on the side of my house, and then fussed with the wiring from there to the VRAD. He said that the error rate was too high to be succesful.

At about 9 AM, the inside guy came, and I asked him about the static IP. "I'm sure that's
no problem."

By then the outside wiring guy had swapped my phone pair to the VRAD with a less noisy pair. By this point there were four AT&T vehicles outside my house. The cable tech said "this will never work here, they never should have sold this to you. You are 4,100 feet from the VRAD, and this is only supported to 3,000." The inside guy disagreed with him, and continued the installation.

Now it's 6:30 PM, and the DVR and other set top box is installed, and the internet connection finally set up and working. No static IP. The tech told me that would get straightened out the next day (wednesday)

Using the internet that night, the second thing I noticed (the first was that browsing was fast) was that my VOIP calls were suffering from a high degree of packet loss and jitter. Not good.

The next day, I get a call -- we are still working on your static IP. Then, on Friday, I got a call that said they could not deliver the static IP, and that the salesperson must have been confused. Hmmm. Not good.

When I got home from work that day, one of the TV set top boxes had failed, and there was no TV to be watched in our family room. Not good, either. That got fixed two days later, when the installing technician came out and replaced the set top box.

The next thing I noticed was that there were significant drops in audio on the optical digital output from the DVR, long enough to miss words and phrases while watching TV. more un-goodness.

The final straw was trying to watch recorded programs on the DVR one day. The programs apparently recorded, but would not play.

Thankfully, I had not yet canceled my DirecTV service, so I hooked up the DirecTV set top boxes only lost 2 days of recorded TV programming. My family was not happy.

I canceled the U-Verse service after 10 days, and asked that my DSL service be restored, so I would not have a long interruption in internet service. Well, apparently AT&T does not like it if you call their baby ugly, because the turned off my U-Verse service, and could not get the DSL going again within 5 days, at which point I ordered Comcast internet service.

This review, while negative, does not properly describe my level of frustration dealing with "the new AT&T", the countless hours on the phone, etc. I can say that I was very disappointed with their service, and they just did not care. This new AT&T is not like BellSouth, which was basically a local company that actually cared about their customers.

Bottom line is that I canceled U-Verse, and then canceled my DSL service when they could not get it turned back on even after 5 days and countless phone calls. My wife and I were so frustrated with the new AT&T that we also canceled our local telephone service with them, too. Now using Comcast for voice and data. At least they seem to care a little.

I strongly encourage anyone thinking of switching to U-Verse from something that is working to think again.

Comments:

Review by wrenchinfool See Profile

• Location: Lakewood,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "i like the amount of channels in the package internet is ok speeds could be better for price"
Bad "hdmi support/optical support i still cant seem to find the right settngs for my tv without having to stretch channels"
Overall "so i am happy with the service i havent used the technical yet so we will cross that bridge when i come to it"

i have ut400 hd tv package with motorola boxes /internet is the pro-package i havent been able to run any of speed tests so i still have to figure that out i do wish the uploads speeds were faster but that should come later/the one thing that is better so far is commication when they added channels i knew it was coming or changed anything so far i was informed, when i had cox they didnt tell you, it just popped up one day/the one thing i didnt like was the fact they used the old cable wire instead of installing new if i would have known this i might ran my own cable

member for 10.9 years, 447 visits, last login: 1.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by cschlik See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis City,MO
Good "Price and Speed, No Contract, Free Install. Not an Introductory Rate"
Bad "HD tv and DVR not quite up to Par with Dish Network"
Overall "Has potential..."

Ordered TV and Internet as soon as it was available in my area. Had previously had DSL, but went to cable internet due to speed limitations. Had UVERSE installed with 10 meg internet and the TV packge. I only wanted the internet portion but decided to try TV as ordering with TV included a free month of service, free install and a $200 rebate.

Install went well. Installer was nice, though a bit sloppy with routing coax.

Internet is quick and delivers advertised speeds. My RG syncs at 25megs.

I did not plan on keeping the TV service, but did play with it a bit. Occasional macro blocking and audio dropouts on HD frustrated me a lot. Also, the HDMI output did not work on my mitsubishi TV.

When using the TV service I missed the way Dish Networks Favorites list worked and the DVR functionality.

I will follow the forums and may try again in the future. Cancelation of the TV portion was Painless.

I will sign up for UVOICE when it comes to St. Louis

Comments:

Review by ryanrands See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "Speed and stable service and a more or less static IP for a reasonable price"
Bad "Upload speed - the install was quick, but they ran a temporary line and it took 2 weeks and multiple calls to fix"
Overall "The broadband part of U-Verse is great along with TV service"

I've been a customer of SBC DSL (now at&t), Qwest (wanted to stab myself in the eye - who's business plan was it to give *everyone* IDSL?!?) and recently Comcast.

I ordered the Elite package (6/1) for $35 and I'm very happy with the speed. I'm getting about 5/1 in practice, but it's plenty quick for basic browsing. I would really prefer a faster upload and I think that a 1.5 cap is pretty pathetic. 2-3 Mb up would be much more acceptable.

I pay about $110 total for TV and Broadband (including HD and currently 2 of the 3 free set top boxes) (see my thread about separating triple play prices: »[request] Price/month for "Fiber To The Home Providers" mislea). I originally looked at phone service, but they aren't offering digital voice in my area, so the POTS would have been like $40 more. We kept Comcast for phone service because it's only $25 total and they offer web-based v-mail retrieval (how weird is it to get phone service from cable and TV from telco?!?). When at&t offers digital voice here we will switch because it will be cheaper overall.

One time after a power outage the service didn't come back and I had to manually refresh the IP from my router. Overall the service has been great. The U-Verse install techs seem pretty well trained and knowledgeable. The tech arrived on time and worked quickly. Except for taking 4 or more calls and two service tech visits to bury a temporary line, I've had no complaints. I quickly realized the difference between the actual U-Verse staff and the old school POTS phone support and onsite techs. When we wanted to add a second STB, at&t did it for free which blows my mind. That's great service. I love the flexibility the service has to run wiring over cat5/6 or coax. I have both running in my house depending on the room, etc. The RG seems to be very stable and I'm now running it up to an old MS BB router and then out to 3 more wired and wireless routers/switches with no issues. I've had some pretty severe issues in the past with provider modems, but this one seems solid.

Although the HD picture isn't as good as I've seen, overall I love the TV service. Surprisingly HD actually looks alot better on the new 40" Samsung 1080p LCD in the bedroom than it does on my 57" Sony 1080i rear projection, even though the picture is only around 1080i anyway. There's supposedly HD upgrades coming in the near future and we just got a second STB to take advantage of Whole Home DVR. Although some features are currently missing (adding/deleting shows from non-DVR) the service is pretty awesome and the web remote will do most everything, including deleting shows.

Can't wait for DVR in the cloud, but content owners are the main roadblock to that happening. at&t already has the technology to deliver, they will just need to add a few more hard drives.

Shopping for the service online was very straightfoward and although we did call once to get more info on price and features (around digital voice availability), we got all of our questions answered up front so there were no suprises on installation day.

Comments:

Review by crwolv See Profile

• Location: Trenton,Wayne,MI
Good "fast,reliable,good service!!!"
Bad "none"
Overall "Great for price!!!!!"

Love it no problems EVER!!!!

member for 12.5 years, 159 visits, last login: 4.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by mjt5282 See Profile

• Location: Old Greenwich,Fairfield,CT
Good "DHCP (no more PPPOE),sticky IP, fast DNS, seems fast so far,can use own router with DMZ+"
Bad "none found so far"
Overall "VDSL faster than ordinary DSL, seems good value for money"

VDSL from AT&T UVERSE seems great so far, simple install, I used my existing Linksys router in DMZ+ mode, so my local LAN settings didn't change at all

Stable so far, the RG (the residential gateway) seems like an impressive piece of equipment

Speed was slower than I was paying for the first day, but the second day it improved after a power cycle of the RG.

Impressively trouble free installation. Time will tell if the service provided will be as stable as my previous ISP.

Comments:

Review by DinnerOut See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "Cost, boxes included, internet speed, picture quality is impressive for as compressed as it is."
Bad "None...other than its a total cluster to move service to new loaction!!!"
Overall "Install was easy in apartment...but moving service is a pain!!"

On 1/25/06 I received 4 automated phone calls notifying me of my install, either way I really didnt mind.

Today, 1/26/08 I had U-Verse installed in Columbus, Ohio.

Install window was from 8-10am. Installer called at 8:15, said he would be there in less than half an hour. Showed up 15 mins later.

He came in a scoped everything out and then went over to the VRAD. I am 541 ft (line distance) from the VRAD (according to tech). I had 3 TVs installed, the 1 DVR and 2 STBs.

There were no issues at all with the install, he went around to all of the phone jacks and did the tests he needed to do. Got the gateway plugged in and he went off to lunch for 30 mins. During that time I set up the remotes on all 3 TVs and made sure the STB set ups had power and were connect to the boxes. While he was gone the gateway synced in about 15 mins.

Once he came back he ran the Ethernet from the gateway to the DVR. Powered it on and everything came up just fine. I played around with that for a bit while he went outside to install the box on the side of the building. He then came back in and hooked up the gateway to the existing coax and we went upstairs to plug those boxes in and make sure things were alright.

All and all the install took about 5 hours. The installer was very professional and did a great job.

Once the DVR came up and I was viewing some things in HD I did notice a little lip flap/sync issues but those seem to come and go. I know its a new technology so things like that will happen.

I have the 6/1 internet pkg. My ping times right now seem to be in the area of 50-60ms. That isnt bad but its not great...I do play some PS3 games online so we'll see how that goes.

Speed tests seem to be right in the neighborhood of where they should be.

The 2Wire gateway is not bad and fairly easy to set up and manage. Have not used tech support yet but will be making a phone call to double check the discount/money back offer that I should be receiving.

Overall I'm impressed so far and I hope ATT keeps it up.

_____________________________

1/29/08

Called ATT yesterday to just make sure that things with my account are kosher.

The first ATT number I called was to actual ATT and I had to be transfered to the U-Verse people.

Once there a really nice guy answered my questions.

- I made sure that my account has the 10.00 bundle discount.
- And that I would be receiving the 100.00 money back offer as well.

Should have asked for a direct number for them, but I didn't.

_______________________________

1/31/08

Got a call from the supervisor of the installer. He asked me a few questions about how the install went. He asked some basic questions, did the installer wear his boot covers, did he offer to go over everything, was he on time...I had a great experience and made sure I let this supervisor know that.

I did let him know that on the local NBC station in SD I do get some flash frames of green, and on a few channels, only every few days or so the audio cut out happens, HD or SD. (SD - boxes are connected via RCA cables & HD - box connected via Component)

He offered to send someone out but I'm okay with it right now it does not seem to be a huge issue.

Also told me to save his number and to give him a call if anything at all comes up and I dont feel like I'm getting what I'm paying for. Thought that was a great gesture and great customer service on their end.

_____________________

8/6/08

Its August already...I'm going to be moving the service in a few weeks and the way they want you to go about that is so dumb.

They send you a box, ship your gear back to them, then they send a tech out to set everything up with NEW gear. I'm not happy with their handling of that but we'll see what they can do for me if they want me to stay.

I also now have the 10/1.5 internet package. Along with the adding of the HD channels things have been going well.

I wish they had a better procedure in place for moving the service.
________________________________

8/27/08

I'm moving into a new place and I have everything set up to be installed in the new place.

Though I'm not moving into the new place until October, so it'll be a little while without U-Verse.
_________________________________

10/11/08

Got my U-Verse installed. The U300 and 10mb internet.

Great installer, had a few little issues finding the home run from the VRAD on the blue pair so he ended up switching to the green pair and it worked just fine.

Really happy to have the service again, like the DVR a lot and its nice to be able to play PS3 games online again.

Have I mentioned that its a pain to move service to a new location?

member for 13.1 years, 3676 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by emead See Profile

• Location: Danbury,Fairfield,CT
Good "Good service, faster then DSL"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Good service in my area, with fast enough for now speeds."

10/1.5Mb service. I never had problems with my ATT DSL and probably won't with ATT U-verse. Install went as planned, but I had them just use what I had already installed for my network.

member for 13.9 years, 8119 visits, last login: a few hours ago