AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by dayfour18 See Profile

• Location: Wheaton,Du Page,IL
Bad "Leaving AT&T"

This is the companion review to my recent Comcast Xfinity installation...

After 12 years on DSL, and with Uverse finally available, I made the switch from 6Mbps DSL and POTS, to UVerse 12Mbps with voice. My experiences pushed me out of the AT&T family, and over to Comcast, a move I never thought I'd make.

Uverse TV was not offered/available to us, likely due to being a co-branded DirecTV subscriber. The problems I experienced may not be present with the TV-enabled gateway, but were definitely present in the Internet/Voice gateway. Every time I made any advanced changes to the gateway (eg. Firewall port forwards, or trying to set "DMZ+" to forward all traffic to my secondary WiFi router) the voice service broke. Initially the service tech that replaced the gateway the 1st time suggested I call and ask for 'tier 2' support. There was no such thing. The only answer I received from multiple calls was that 'advanced changes like that are not supported.' As a network professional, I completely agree with that from the Internet data perspective...if you make changes and hose your internet, that's your fault. However, this IS AT&T, and voice service should just WORK. I don't care what changes I make to firewall or other 'advanced' network settings on your gateway...voice should be ROCK SOLID.

Very unhappy with the service, I confirmed I could cancel within the 30-day window after installation, and did so. So far the move to Comcast has been trouble-free, including voice. The Xfinity gateway is much more substantial than the AT&T Pace gatway. Quality of the service can hardly be compared. Comcast/Xfinity is providing the service level that AT&T should in my opinion. YMMV

Comments:

KennyWest

@rr.com

Tier 2

Actually there is a Tier 2 Support. All support desks have a level 1, 2 and 3. 3 is the highest on the phone. You just have to know how to get to them. And the router/firewall controls the entire gateway. If you change a service/line in the device that controls the phone, yes you will lose phone.
ham3843

join:2015-01-15
USA

Re: Tier 2

So KennyWest how do you go about reaching a Tier 3 phone support tech? I have a problem that requires a DSL network maintenance engineer to investigate problems at the DSLAM, RT or CO and the best I could do is have a prem tech check my lines and confirm they are OK.

Justin2016

@windstream.net

Re: Tier 2

Are you still with AT&T? You have to ask for a Supervisor then ask to speak to higher authority after that they will suggest a call back.
dayfour18

join:2012-06-14
Wheaton, IL
said by KennyWest :

If this is true, then maybe AT&T should re-think how they are doing things. If that is even possible. To me, and based on my experience as a network and telecom professional, this is an unforgivable compromise. They are AT&T, or at least what used to be 'AT&T'. Voice should ALWAYS work. There is nothing an end-user should be able to do to kill the voice like that. Enabling something as simple as a few port-forwards for Xbox support should NOT cause voice to stop working.

My Comcast/Xfinity gateway has had no such problems after configuring port-forwards for the kids' Xbox...voice works without giving it a thought. This same thing killed voice on the AT&T Pace gateway. IMO Comcast is beating AT&T at their own game with voice support and reliability.

Review by JonLahmani See Profile

• Location: Fountain Valley,Orange,CA
Overall "AT&T Uverse - worst ever!"

I was in a 100% online MBA program with UVerse when my connection went down. My regular schedule was 630am to 530 pm, and after loosing connection to the internet, my time to deal with the issue was after 530pm. Apparently AT&T UVerse has NO customer service after 530pm. They have an automated system that takes you in circles, with NO options to speak to a live representative for assistance. The next 3 days with multiple attempts I was still not able to make communication with anyone at AT&T UVerse, and I was a missing student in my online program. AT&T forced me to get another provider after 1 week of service, or I would fail my classes. AT&T finally contacted me after almost 1 year and told me I owe them $350. They said I did not try hard enough to reach someone, and that I should have written a letter to contact them. They said they have service after 5, basically telling me im lying. AT&T refuses to listen to my situation as they believe I could have just written a letter and not participate in my classes. Up until now they refused to talk to me. AT&T will not back their service nor do they care about their customer’s experience. I relied on their service to complete my educational program, and they let me down giving me no other choice but to find another provider so I could pursue my goals. But AT&T dose not care about their customers experience nor do they care to admit they failed me by waving some $350 fee. I cant express how disappointing my experience has been and small a service provider can make you feel. My credit is about to be ruined if I don’t pay.

Jonathan Lahmani

Comments:

connectr

@sbcglobal.net

AT&T UVerse

Unfortunately, unless you get very lucky and get the right person, this is exactly the way AT&T treats everyone. If they pursue their charges, you can always sue them for messing with your credit.

Review by wheelbarrow See Profile

• Location: Kansas City,Clay,MO
Good "Consistent speeds, good latency."
Bad "I wish the speeds were faster for what I'm paying."
Overall "U-Verse seems to be a good option for internet service."

·Google Fiber
·Windstream
Update 12/16/2014:

I have switched to Google Fiber and no longer subscribe to U-Verse. At this point I still would recommend the service if other options are not available. The main downside of AT&T's product is that it is an aging technology (copper) in a world filled with cable and fiber optics. They don't offer a particularly good value.

Update 5/26/2014:

Speeds and latency have been consistent. Despite paying for 18 Mbps, I'm getting 22 Mbps due to over-provisioning. I'm still unable to subscribe to the 24 Mbps or higher packages.

AT&T recently bumped up the equipment costs per month to $7 for the modem/router. I wasn't too impressed with that move, and I'm still not.

I will be moving over to Google Fiber within the next few months, as signups were recently made available to my location. I still consider U-Verse to be a decent option if Google Fiber is not available - though the price does seem to be a little high in comparison to other providers in the area, of which offer faster speeds. Considering how badly AT&T is going to be whipped once Google Fiber actually starts service in northern Kansas City, you'd think they would try to be a little bit more competitive.

member for 5 years, 1778 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

DAg Aligaz

@23.127.18.x

Disappointed Customer with AT&T U-verse

I was out of internet/AT &T U-verse/ for one week
lost all times and money from 5/6/ 2014 through 5/13/2014 I called tech support and they told me they gonna send me a new modem. I got the modem arrived after couple days later and I called them back, to let them knew that I had the same problems "not working”…...the AT&T U-verse Rep. apologized me for inconvenent she told me that their is a network problems around my areas they promised me to be solved within the next day which they did fixed the problems. I send back the box/modem next day and they received it no problem. The funny parts now they send me additional $100 dollars bills on the top of my regular bills…no reason why?. I called back waited about (24.19 minute) to speak to someone. I talked to Rep. ’ after waisting time she told me that I have to pay this extra $100 dollars and then later I’ll get it back in three month as a crdit .
They got wonderful system right…??? they can’t take it out this $100 dollars from there system right away according she said and apologized again …… Wow…..
I’ll wait 3 month to get my ($100dollars) credit back!
Great service AT&T U-verse….!
I was very disappointed losing time, money and I got to scwed-up charged $100.

TimeLord04

join:2014-11-13
Danville, CA
·Vonage

Danville, CA U-verse Customer.

We've been with U-verse since their roll out in this area; one of the first to sign up. We left/abandoned/ran away from Comcast.

Due to "Dedicated" Internet Speeds; we've speed tested FASTER than Comcast; and MORE CONSISTENT speeds than Comcast. Routinely under Comcast; we'd drop easily to 1.5 Mb or slower. With U-verse, we routinely hit 44 to 45 Mb on our 45 Mb package.

We've NEVER had an outage; unlike Comcast, and are VERY happy with our U-verse services.

ONLY ONE ISSUE ongoing right now; and that is random pixelations on multiple channels during Prime Time viewing on HD. AT&T has done EVERYTHING it possibly can do; and the pixelations persist. We will continue working with AT&T to resolve the issue.

12-17-2014 at 3:47 PM - PST

Review by milkman82 See Profile

• Location: Lakewood,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Internet, TV video quality, Price, Upload Speeds"
Bad "Caps! Not going back at that rate!"
Overall "great quality of service, poor billing and pricing"

·T-Mobile US
I wanted to try U-verse mainly for the upload speeds on the internet connection. However, I have noticed the overall internet connection is GREAT! Not just on the speed but also on the QOS. My Cox cable has about the same speed download, but is terrible with latency on YouTube and various sites load timing.

I was honestly surprised over all of the internet and tv quality. Just wish we did not have to use a RG to connect the service. The RG really does well overall, just bulky and I can't own it!

The guy who came out to install the service did a great job as well. I showed him where I wanted the RG and he had no problem with that. He made a very clean cat5 line in the basement and rather than drill a hole in the floor and run the cable though the hole. He ran it in between the wall and to a port he installed on the wall. Much better than the cable installers! Now, to just enjoy the service!

Update 11/8/2010

Had a few issues over the past couple weeks. However, AT&T direct forums were able to solve the issue. Still on the 24Max tier and enjoying service.

Update 9/24/2011

Service has been running smooth only had one day outage since the last problem almost a year ago. However, my feeling is the service went from a great value to middle of the road. I can't justify a good price with the low caps and increase in modem rental fees.

Update 11/9/2014

Dropped AT&T like a bad habit! Once I moved to Ohio city (2012), all they offered was low speed packages at high prices.. AND WITH CAPS! I was never a cable internet fan in my previous lifetime.. However, Time Warner did fix that for me.. much higher speeds and unlimited bandwidth.. All a great deal!

member for 8.6 years, 1561 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ldollard See Profile

• Location: Stevenson Ranch,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Stable, only had an outage once"
Bad "I rarely get my top speed"
Overall "I most hit about 10mbps down, thats bull#$%^"

The service is what I expect of an ISP, but its the worst out of TWC and Comcast. At least with them i mostly got my top speed.

I pay double for this max speed of 30mbps down. I usually get maybe 9-10mbps. Just unacceptable. Sadly, i can only use ATT in my complex. What a joke.

No i do not recommend them.

Comments:

Vanessa

@108.201.228.x

-1 recommendation

U-Verse..ripoff

Iam paying $200 for a U-300 and a bad quality internet. I called today to lower my bill. An agent insulted my intelligence trying to hook me up on a worst deal, for hours he refused me to give me answers. I am cancelling my service, it's worst than a divorce, ATT what a big scammers, embarrassing that a big corporation handle costumer service matter so poorly. Shame on you...
Vanessa from Fort Lauderdale, Fl

Myhrddin

join:2003-12-12
Beaumont, TX

Re: U-Verse..ripoff

Yes, the sales reps can be pretty bad sometimes. I'd suggest you call again and tell the rep if you can't get decent service at a decent price you are going to give your service to someone else. That usually will get you to someone with the power to make you a good deal and get your service cleared up to working fairly well. ..That is, if you would still be interested in clearing up your issues and getting the price down. If you do, and get a deal you actually can live with, be sure that you have it in an email that it's for 12 months and not one of their famous 6 mo. surprises.
Depending on if you're needing service in town or in a rural situation, there are different options for you should you decide to leave AT&T.

Review by PHDinCT See Profile

• Location: Redding,Fairfield,CT
Good "not much right now...maybe price."
Bad "Poor ISP signal..drop-out, lost datpackets..."
Overall "If Comcast just would get THEIR act together or state of CT would open up to other ISPs...but oh well...gotta make another appt."

So tell me ....what does one do about AT&T U-Verse "throttling" customers' broadband signal trying to get them to trade up to a higher priced Plan? Particularly when they are the ONLY DSL carrier in Connecticut?

(Nearest cable pole is 300 yards and needs a trench dug for cable = $3,000+)

I have repeatedly contacted attcustomercare@att.com NUMEROUS times and they've sent techs out to my home-office, to merely switch routers or ck wiring, but they're always unreliable and drop-out internet signal is something that these techs just don't seem to be able to fix...mmmm, wonder why? NOT!

Comments:

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL

Comcast

Regarding Comcast:

A 900ft distance is not too bad for a cable plant extension - the underground part is probably driving up the costs. I assume you tried singing up for business class service?

They will often waive minor construction like this if you sign a business class contract for 2 or 3 years.

If they only come down a little on construction costs, you could offer to have the trench dug yourself (rent the machine for a day) and then Comcast's crews would bury the lines.

That is if you own the land.

Good luck dealing with Frontier in the future....

Review by Gbcue See Profile

• Location: Santa Rosa,Sonoma,CA
Good "Great speeds, nice HD quality, free DVR!"
Bad "CAPS"
Overall "Caps stifle innovation and U-Verse has them."

Other options: Either AT&T DSL, Sonic.net (AT&T DSL re-branded) or Crapcast Cable.
Speed: 18megs, it's quite fast and the line we're using only has 54% saturation.
Order process: Great, all online.
Install process: Went fairly quickly due to the whole house being wired with CAT5e.
Equipment: Motorola DVR and 2WIRE RG.
Other thoughts: 0 stars due to 250GB cap per month + Overages!!!

member for 13.3 years, 6951 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by MyReview See Profile

• Location: Burlington,Alamance,NC
Good "TV channel choices"
Bad "When using their wireless system the remote units are VERY slow. At best 10mbs"
Overall "I won't be coming back to U-verse sadly. It looked great at first."

I have the U-verse 200 plan for tv. The internet speed is supposed to be up 18mbs. (not below 13).

The install was fantastic. The service techs were professional, fast and knowledgeable. I came to Uverse from Time Warner (roadrunner) and Dish Network to combine my services and save money. It did save me money, and the tv line up/selection is better. The Internet speed on the main server is ok as well. HOWEVER anything running on wireless in the house is extremely slow! I mean near dial up slow. At best on my laptops only 30 feet away I can only get, at best, 10mbs download. More often than not it is 5-8mbs. I was informed that I would no longer need my Linksys/NetGear router. "The AT&T U-verse router will take care of it all" was the quoted statement.

Well sports fans, "it don't". I haven't tried to put the Linksys back on line yet but after several phone calls to customer service ( they are horrible) and several service techs coming out (they are qualified and professional) I'm politely told "that's the norm for wireless". "AT&T Uverse makes no guarantees about wireless speeds, only the incoming speed to the main router". Well had they told me that up front I surely would have kept what I had. Now the Time Warner cables have been dug up (landscaping) and it will cost to have it all reinstalled. I'm very disappointed, stuck with slow internet speeds and generally angry about it. I will not go back to AT&T anything. I'd planed to switch over cell and landline. Not going to happen now. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had switched the cell over. Luckily, I happy as can be with that service and plan to keep it. When my AT&T contract runs out, I'll switch everything over to the same vendor as my cell. Live and Learn.

Comments:

backman

@76.250.81.x

Uverse service

You would not believe the issues I have had. Never in my long career have I encountered such an inept business, ATT. I wish I had time and space to take you through the horror stories with this installation I have had over the past week and it is still not working. Just take my advise, DO NOT GO Uverse.

Review by WGF_Crafty See Profile

• Location: Mesquite,Dallas,TX
Good "Very little. Quick install? "
Bad "Advertised to be the 24 down plan, so I'd say 3 is lacking. Never hot above 1MB a sec, it should be 3MB"
Overall "I also downgraded the internet four months ago. Bottom line is I'm leaving for whoever."

Shady tactics, didn't happen to me, but I worked for two days trying to sell these plans. They would lie straight to your face about how it's fiber like FIOS, and just hope the people weren't smart enough to tell the difference between FTTH and fiber to the node. Jerks.

Horrible pricing. I started with the 6Mbit plan and got about 1.2MB down or about 90KB up, not shabby.

I upgraded to a 24Mbit plan, my speed should have more than doubled (about four months ago) the speed never increased, at all. Upload went to 200KB, but so? I'm not hosting servers. I downgraded it, dropped the phone, and dropped the premium channels they snuck on in early May. I've talked to them four times hearing promises that they'd get it right, despite being billed for a month and then comped, they STILL have the home phone, and the wrong overpriced internet plan.

They always ask stupid questions for verification which I don't remember the answers to (in order to talk to you) and detailed data inside the online account (Say, what I paid for everything 13, 4, and 2 months ago won't cut it.) This is to downgrade the plans. They wanted me to go to a ATT store where I don't even have a phone. Hell Why can't I email you a picture of me and my ID in front of the login page? Cause they want me to get an ATT phone.

So, I'm checking out other providers this very second, I've convinced the rest of the house to ditch cable and get internet and a VPN and HD local TV, save money watch Netflix+Amazon and get whatever else you need... cheaply. (garage sales).

Screw you UVerse, unless you offer me 2-3 MONTHS for free I'm gone for good. And I liked the configuration on their router. But I have two DDWRT54G-TMs laying around begging to be played with

I promise this isn't a fake review lol. Look elsewhere, or if you live near me, pray to the FTTH gods Verizon inches a bit more this way.

member for 13.3 years, 1345 visits, last login: 122 days ago

Comments:

MJohn

@99.181.56.x

Same

I have been running U-Verse for about 3 months and I have nothing but complaints. I have the 6mb plan and we are getting .3 down and .1 up most times. They tried over charging us by 200 dollars for an instillation fee that we were told we didnt have to pay. After we called them and went into the store, they said they would get rid of it, but instead of doing so, they gave us a late fee for not paying it. It is the internet service i have ever used. A shame, really.

Review by snope See Profile

• Location: Merrillville,Lake,IN
Good "Somewhat Reliable Connection and Speed"
Bad "Ancient Technology in the Twenty-First Century (Where's mah fiber optikz!1)"
Overall "It's either Comcast or ATT. Thanks, Free Market!"

U-Verse Internet Elite
6 Mbps/768 kbps

Apparently, my download speed has gone down, significantly. I'm going to call and keep you posted.

I WAS on a year-long promotional deal of $30 a month that just expired. That is a MUCH more reasonable price for this slow service.