AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by jagnew81 See Profile

• Location: 66141
Good "nice install techs and phone Customer Service/Sales"
Bad "no want to fix customer issues if they can't be fixed over the phone."
Overall "not worth it better options in KCMO for internet Time Warner and google fiber where available."

consistently slow since we had got u-verse, customer support puts a band aid on it by "boosting the signal" and that works for about a day or two, then back to 0.25Mbps upload speeds, i am not posting this to get anything at all. I just want to warn other potential customers that At&T U-verse service will leave them wanting another service provider. »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3227314544

Comments:

biotech

VDSL or ADSL2+?

Title pretty much says all that I need to comment in here.
mshoemaker3

not at all unhappy...»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3391216904

Review by luezuve See Profile

• Location: Simi Valley,Ventura,CA
Good "Been rock solid."
Bad "Expensive for slow speed and they're liars."
Overall "Mixed feelings overall but won't put up with liars."

I've had AT&T U-Verse since 2011. I pretty much ordered them as soon as they came into my neighborhood. I've had the 24mbps plan for the same amount of time and AT&T has shown no care about upgrading our neighborhood to the 48mbps. Furthermore, they've supplied me with the same 802.11g router for that time and have never cared about upgrading that either. None of that bothered me until a recent event. I was paying almost $70 a month for 24mbps when Time Warner would give me 50mbps for less and considering many in my area have been upgraded to 100mbps, it's only a matter of time before my neighborhood is. So, I called AT&T and they agreed to give me the 24mbps plan for $37 a month if I agreed to a 1 year contract. While I was hesitant to sign up with them for another 12 months, I couldn't pass up the $37 a month so I agreed. I waited for the contract. Nothing. I get a Bill for $55, I call. "It's a mistake sir, just pay the $37." I do. I call their sales people again to make sure I don't receive another wrong bill and they tell me it's not $37 any more, it's $39.50 because their prices went up in March. Although I agreed to the contract in February, they wouldn't budge and it's not like I'm going to file a lawsuit over what comes to $30/year. So I'm about to drop them and go to Time Warner. Yes, it's "only" $2.50 a month more but it's not that, it's the principle. It's fraud. It's having me agree to one thing but then telling me it's something else. I can't stick with a company like that. I have my doubts if Time Warner will be better, but I have little choice.

Unfortunately, this site lists me as "happy overall," but I'm not. I'm not happy with liars.

Comments:

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

ETF?

Were you over 30 days since start of the new contract?
If so, did they let you out without ETF charge;
possibly rate increase was excuse enough?

emjayef

join:2007-11-25
Pleasant Hill, CA
·Astound Broadband

I feel the same way

I have AT&T wireless, and I'm fairly happy with that, and had Comcast xfinity for TV/Phone/Internet. But one time, an ATT agent offered me a uVerse deal, for same features at a supposedly lower cost, but I was still in a Comcast promotion, so I said not now. She called back a couple of times over the next few months, and at the end of my Comcast promotion, I decided to try it on a 30-day free trial.

Fortunately, I kept my Comcast setup, and knew how to do the connections. First thing I found was that I had no HD. Oops, well that can be added for an extra charge. But then I found that I wasn't saving any money after all. Next, I found out that the upload speed was was about 1/4 of the Comcast speed, even though I had asked specifically about that and been told, after someone checked for me, that the upload speed was 5 or 6 mb/s. When I got my first bill, soon after signing up, it was about twice my normal Comcast bill, although it was the first month and probably had more than one month billing.

But it didn't matter; I decided to cancel within the 30 days, and took the equipment to UPS for return. I didn't pay the bill, since I had a free trial, but it took months for them to stop calling and writing, getting really pushy about my non-payment. But finally, after many phone calls back and forth, it got settled.

Meanwhile, at about that time, Comcast raised the service to 29 mb/s where AT&T was only 16, and they gave me a 12-month promotion for internet and phone that was cheaper than AT&T.

Review by FicmanS See Profile

• Location: Brownsburg,Hendricks,IN
Good "TV and phone services are ok"
Bad "Internet Gaming is horrible"
Overall "Comcast Internet is looking good again"

We've been up and running now for 14 months, TV and phone are working very well. Internet Speeds continue to disappoint, hopeful some upgrades will be available in the future. Started pricing Comcast Internet...

Internet speeds continue to be horrible

member for 9.2 years, 2501 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

done deal

@sbcglobal.net

u- verse worse than Charter!

My bill universe is $190 per month and my cell with the same company is $115 per month. I'm not impressed and customers service can only offer me less services to make it less expensive.I got better service for less money at other companies. the universe internet that is supposed to be the best is no better than other DSL. DON'T SWITCH TO AT&T YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Review by pf2007 See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
Bad "att is a bad company"
Overall "Go to another company for internet."

ATT Internet service is the worst internet you can have. they have horrible customer service and the internet will frequently go in and out. Go with comcast instead.

Comments:

BusinessinMI

UVerse internet

Don't let At&t representatives fool you. Switched from AT&T DSL, to UVerse, TERRIBLE!!! I was assured internet speeds of 3 times greater than my existing DSL line, not the case, my internet is slower than ever, this is terrible for a business! Fooled once again by AT&T...If you have Comcast business in your area, get that instead!
golfnow

join:2012-08-19
Knoxville, TN

Re: UVerse internet

Sorry best decision I have ever made was when I left Comcast for Uverse. Much faster.

·Google Voice

having problems? we can help

We have a AT&T direct forum here, I believe the link is even on the front page. You can also click my name and it will show a link on my profile page.

We are here to help!

Thanks
David.
02/24/14- My hours recently changed. I work 11:30 A.M. to 10 P.M. central time. I am not in the office on friday, saturday, or sunday. Thanks-David

@bellsouth.net

Re: having problems? we can help

I came across your post when I was researching ways to increase my isp speed. I currently have business service through AT&T and I have a download speed of (roughly) 2.5mb but my upload speed is where I'm having issues. I need an upload speed of .4 (sustained) but can only manage .27-.33. I called the tech support line and he told me that he could guarantee me .4 upload but in order to do that my download speed would be dropped to 512k, which is unacceptable because I need 1.5mb or better for work. The other alternative I was given (because uverse is not available in my area and they have no idea when or if it will be (his words not mine)) was to purchase another 3 mb line and (I'm assuming because he didn't go into a lot of detail) pair bond to achieve a 6mb service. My big issue with that is that I would have to pay for 2 3 mb service at $34.99 which if you ask me since they seem to be in no hurry to get uverse in my area they should give it to me for the same cost as the uverse service.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks,

Re: having problems? we can help

ahh, had to look at your location... this is in bellsouth where I believe the highest pkg is a 512kb upload, but the downstream is wide open (capped at 6mbps on the ISP side). I think 512kb is all they offer (max upstream offering) in bellsouth. For 13state if you can get the elite tier 3-6 down/ 512-768k up that probably would be better for your needs. If uverse/IPDSL isn't available they wouldn't be able to pair bond ADSL. Only other way to get a sustained upstream above 512kb would be (note: this assumes you do not have alternate providers such as cable, wireless, etc..) a t-1 1.5/1.5 symmetrical.

@bellsouth.net

Re: having problems? we can help

Just got off the phone with AT&T again....and I'm told that the service I have is the 3mb download and .384kb upload (which I don't speed test any where near those) and that is unfortunately the best available at this time. Uverse is not available and won't be for some time. I did get in contact with a cable company that's moving into the area and they are offering a 7mb download and .768kb upload for just a few bucks more. So after being a loyal AT&T customer for 15+ years it looks like I'm gonna have to switch. Thanks for getting back with me though, I appreciate it.

said by Judi :

Thanks for getting back with me though, I appreciate it.

No problem, thanks for using at&t for the long run you had and good luck.

Do call again if there is anything else needed though.

Review by o2cool8 See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Internet is stable at 12/2"
Bad "HD Picture"
Overall "If you care about picture quality, go with cable or satellite"

I had U-verse 300 with HD, home DVR, and all the premiums plus HD extra channels for about two weeks. I couldn't take it anymore, picture quality extremely bad, especially for high action programs/movies. I even had the tech look at how bad the "HD" channels looked before he left during the initial installation, and he said that's how it is. There is nothing wrong with the line or connection and I have an excellent signal. Coming from Comcast, the picture difference is night and day. I couldn't justify keeping the service any longer and canceled within the 30 day money back guarantee.

member for 12 years, 1241 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Pissed

@mycingular.net

U-verse Customer Service

I would like to share with you the dissatisfaction I received by trying to place a call to 1-800-288-2020
on a Saturday afternoon before I lost my patience & hung up. I was put on hold for 34 minutes while the "Customer Service Representatives were assisting other callers thank you for your patience". Apparently the quality of customer service is definitely not high speed & of disservice to us all.
MoneyT8

join:2014-02-16
united state

Re: U-verse Customer Service

I recently called that number on a Saturday as well and received pretty bad service. Although it was probably with that specific rep. She told me that I had called 5 times that month and was it regarding and the same issue; I can call back as many times as I please. I'm not sure if it's like that everywhere but I will not most certainly tolerate it.

Eagle1

@sbcglobal.net
I called that number yesterday and was put thru to someone in the Phillipines, she couldn't answer any of my questions, she could only read from a script. I was calling because they increased my service; ridicuously increased it: her only response was to upgrade and I'm like "what?", I'm trying to lower my bill, not increase it! I'm asking my friends what provider they use and most are responding: Xfinity. I think I'll give them a call!

Review by ImpldConsent See Profile

• Location: Mcdonough,Henry,GA
Good "FAST Service! Excellent install (except adding STBs)."
Bad "AT&T will suck you dry of every associated penny."
Overall "Fast; reliable; however, the UBB ruins the value."

·magicjack.com
* UPDATE 18FEB2014: Wow, what a year. Just got home from being deployed to Afghanistan. The day I left for combat, wife up and moved. She was kind enough to put Uverse on hold at 19.00 month. She wasn't there at the welcome home and I had to beg for a ride home. Came home to a (nearly) empty house and got served divorce papers the next day. ... K, now for review: Re-estabished Uverse with my cell phone and it was up quick. I (had) 6 receivers, but only one of me and now only 2 TVs. I dropped down to U200 and bumped up internet to 45Mb. Waited 2 days for a tech and took about an hour total from changing to a new card at the VRAD and establishing the bonded pair. Hooked up a new RG (NV589) and it went green in about 5min. I then took 4 wired receivers to UPS and gave them back to ATT. Overall, as it relates to my Uverse experience, I am quite pleased. Couldn't be happier with TV and internet.

* UPDATE 8JAN2013: We dumped telephone service in lieu of VOIP. We are effectively saving 40./month (480./yr). We transferred our number so no loss. Ordered another STB (wireless) and should be in soon. I'll update the review if there are issues, but not anticipating any. Internet and TV are still ROCK SOLID.

* UPDATE 11JUN2012: No real updates. Still up and running while I'm still here in Afghanistan (at least my wife hasn't complained yet). We still pay a lot, but I can say this for U-Verse - it's stable and it's fast.

* UPDATE 6JUL2011: Added another STB for our 5th TV with this caveat: I pre-wired my house cat 5 to every liveable space (exclude bathrooms). I insisted that I wanted to do a self-install instead of paying them 55.00 to have a tech plug it in. AT&T insisted that there was more to it than just plugging it in. I relented. 'Lo and behold all the AT&T tech did was plug it in. AT&T SUCKS for not being able to determine the technical ability of it's customers.

PHASE III update now in place. FINALLY, my kids can pause live TV in any room. Great update.

* UPDATE 2MAR2011: UBB is going to be implemented May 2011. For me, that means I have to trust AT&T to tell me how much data is being downloaded and to tell me what is internet traffic and what is TV/Phone. I'm reducing my "Value for money" to "Worst" until I see what this does. For what it's worth - I have Max Turbo (24/3), 450 TV, Unlimited Phone (for now). I pay a lot of money for that service and a reasonable price for "Unlimited". Capping me now brings that to unreasonable.

* UPDATE NOV2010: OK, had this over 1 month now. Internet is awesome; however, TV is not so good. We have great signal, very few errors / corrections; however, most shows we watch are HD. It's fair, but not great. There is pixelization that you have to deal with. Wife is pissed. I think we might dump TV in favor of going to DTV (certainly NOT cable).

/////

ORIGINAL REVIEW: 18days from notification of availability to installation up and running. I cannot complain about the length of time for service. The installer (Richard) was fantastic. Had the "outside" guy come out, do his thing, then the inside guy (Richard) come out and do the house. He had internet up an running within 30min, then spent the rest of the 4hrs connecting phone and TV (4 of them).

ATT used HDMI cables (thank you) for connectivity on each TV. The RG (wired + wireless) is working flawlessly. I did a speed test and am getting 22Mbps down and about 2.2Mbps up. A little loss of latency, but overall, I'm impressed. All this speed is coming to my house on copper. I couldn't imagine if I was on FTTH.

For speed freaks, this is fantastic. For TV freaks... dump the Dish! I did. The service is 1080i, not sure if I'll see 1080p just yet or maybe sometime in the future. The 65.00 I quoted is for internet only. For the U200 TV, VOIP phone and Internet, runs about 171.00 month. I'm saving about 50.00/month dumping Dish.

member for 13.1 years, 1986 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

NoNeB

@tamuk.edu

at&t uverse in kingsville TX

**Warning, this is a really long ranting blog posting. If you stay, there will be kittens.**

I'm deviating a bit today, to talk about my absolutely wretched experience with AT&T U-verse. It's rare that I get THIS worked up about something, but seriously? This has been a nightmare and a half.

It started with a series of emails and paper letters - eight in all - stating that AT&T High Speed DSL Internet was being discontinued in my area and I would have to upgrade to AT&T U-verse. I have been an AT&T DSL customer since late 2002 while living with my parents, and I've had an AT&T phone account since 2007, so I'm not a stranger to AT&T. In fact, I pretty much like it. Yes, I have had some problems, like when they charged me a full month of service twice to switch from my Mom's name to my name on my Internet account (they wrote off the extra month of charges), or when they told me that I couldn't bundle my AT&T phone and AT&T Internet because my phone number is a California number (work purposes) but my Internet address is in Texas... despite them both being under my account name and social security number, and the fact that the bills go to the exact same email address and physical address.... but hey! For the most part, it's been smooth sailing.

After letter 3, I called to set up my AT&T U-verse. I've been paying for the AT&T Elite (6 Mbps at ~$40 a month) internet for over a year so I was excited to be getting anywhere from 12-24 Mbps a second (since I was told it would be faster service). Despite me calling on September 12th to set up my order, I was told that the first installation date wasn't until November 8th. That didn't stop AT&T from overnighting my modem and router to my house - thankfully at no cost to me.

My friend Nick decided he was going to switch to AT&T U-verse as well, and called after I did and received an installation date of December 27th. However, his representative gave him an email address to write to see if they could "install faster", and sure enough, he was able to get his installation date moved up first to November 22nd, then all the way to October 13th. AT&T sent out his modem and router but it never arrived to his apartment (AT&T later reported it lost/stolen) so he asked the AT&T technician if he could borrow my router/modem, use it for a few days until his replacement ones arrived, and then give them back to me to use. The AT&T technician said that was no problem so I handed over my stuff to him, and waited for his to arrive. He also never received an email with the confirmation of either modem being sent, so he never had a way to track either package.

While waiting, I decided to call AT&T to see if my installation date could also be moved up and was told yes - I could have it installed on October 18th. I wouldn't have to do anything at all but wait until 8 p.m. to install my modem/router.

October 18th arrives and my technician arrives nice and early. From there, it's all been downhill. First, he asked me if I had canceled my existing DSL. I told him no - I just transferred to U-verse. He informed me that if I didn't explicitly say "Cancel my DSL", I would keep being charged for DSL and also start being charged for U-verse at the same time. He specifically said "This has been a problem for a lot of AT&T customers who are transferring to U-verse from DSL and they don't realize it for several months of getting double bills." Now granted, I'd notice after bill one, but that's because I don't have a random $40 to throw out the window. I immediately called AT&T who confirmed that my DSL had not been canceled and placed the blame on my U-verse representative who "should have said that first thing before staring a U-verse order"... Right. Despite my DSL being manually cut by the technician that day, AT&T wouldn't issue a disconnect until October 20th. My billing cycle had just ended 3 days prior, so I asked if I would be charged a pro-rated bill from October 15-18 (actual days I'm having service) or October 15-20 and was told I'd be charged the 5 days. I'd only be losing around $2.50 so I figured whatever - have your $2.50 for your mistake.

The actual installation also had problems. First, the technician had to get to my phone box. Unfortunately, that box had been placed behind a wall that we put in when we closed in our carport. This meant we had to take down the wall (thankfully it wasn't finished - just plywood) and remove the insulation (not fun) so he could get to the box. We agreed to cut a hole into the wall for future maintenance as it would cost us up to $150 for AT&T to run a new line to the outside of the new garage. Now granted, my Dad argued with the technician for good long while because when AT&T originally ran the lines, they ran part of it under our walkway without any type of protection to the line, and we haven't been able to do any kind of maintenance to the walkway because of it, but that's not this technician's fault. After much testing and retesting of the lines, the technician said that he was finished and even though he was getting a strong 6 Mbps signal, my U-verse account was only set up for 3 Mbps. I was pretty upset at this point because why would I upgrade to U-verse, just to have my account downgraded in speed? He told me not to worry, wait until I got my modem/router installed, and call AT&T in the morning to upgrade back to 6 Mbps.

That night, Nick brought my modem/router back so we could install it. We were able to get everything done except the actual validation of the account. We called AT&T and explained how the modem/router had been used already, but was told that was not an issue. We were bumped to Tier 2 (the second level of customer service that most people never have to deal with) and spent over an hour on the phone trying to figure out why my modem/router wouldn't work. The Tier 2 representative couldn't figure it out, and said he would send out a special U-verse technician in the morning to fix it.

October 19th: The technician arrives and first thing he asks me is if we've used the modem/router before. I said we have, and he said that was the issue - the modems/routers are proprietary to an U-verse account and cannot be used twice. This is to insure users don't try to resell the modems/routers if they choose to use something not provided by the company (to get more ports or smaller equipment etc). I told him that Tier 2 assured us that the modems/routers are NOT proprietary and he just shrugged and said "Well, they are." He went to grab another one from his truck which SURPRISE - didn't work either. He returned to his truck to get a third set which finally worked. He also confirmed that I was getting a 6.7 Mbps signal but that my U-verse account was only wired for 3 Mbps and that I should call to get it upgraded.

After he left, I called AT&T and asked to have my account upgraded and was told that because of my address location, it could not go higher than 3 Mbps. I tried to explain that not one but two technicians plugged into my modem got a solid 6 Mbps signal and the response from AT&T was that I had to call the technician that was in my house (thankfully, he did leave his number), who would then have to call the engineer, who then could verify my address location, who then could call sales, who then could upgrade my account. I wish I was making this stuff up.

Mike (I'll leave out his last name and phone number) told me that he would attempt to get a hold of the engineer but "he's really hard to get a hold of." And that's where I was left with that.

At this point, I had Internet (yay!) but a decreased speed. For most people, this probably wouldn't matter much. I work full time for an Internet gaming company, so having Internet isn't just fun - it's work. I am very wired from my computer to my laptop, my iPhones (yes phones) and iPad... I even have my DirecTV, my XBOX and my Blu-Ray all connected. And that's just for me... when I have friends or family over, they tend to bring their electronics too. This was also a matter of principle for me. I wanted as much Internet speed as I had before - why would I upgrade to downgrade?

This is when I sought out the AT&T Social Media - as I was told that they had whole teams to help out. After my 3rd attempt at getting someone to answer me, I got an answer to email x address. This is the email I sent out (I've removed my personal info):

This is response to the Tweet located here: »twitter.com/#!/ATTTeamSusan/stat···92786688

My DSL account was xxx-xxx-xxxx-xxx-x I was paying for AT&T HSI Elite (6 mb)
My U-verse account is xxxxxxxxx.
My cell phone number is (xxx) xxx.xxxx
My service address is
[removed]

I was informed that by upgrading to U-verse, I'd be getting the "same speed for only $14.95 for the first year."

When the technician arrived on 18 October, he asked me if I had canceled my DSL account. I didn't know I was supposed to, and he told me yes, I had to. I called AT&T and canceled my DSL but was told I was not getting it disconnected until 20 October, even though the tech had manually cut the line as of 18 October.

The technician verified that my account was receiving 6 mb but said that U-verse only had my account set at 3 mb. I said that was a mistake, and it should be 6 mb. He told me to call customer service after I set up my modem/router to resolve this issue.

At 8 p.m. (the designated time to set up your U-verse), we had nothing but problems with the modem/router, which Tier 2 was not able to resolve. Another technician had to be sent out 19 October.

That technician figured out immediately the issues with the modem (that they are proprietary to one U-verse activation, and my modem had been used by another U-verse account member under the guidance of an AT&T tech). He also verified that he was showing 6.7 mb speed but my account was only set for 3 mb. I asked if I could be upgraded to the 12 mb, but was told I lived at 10,045 feet and the signal for 12 mb stopped at 8,000 feet.

I called AT&T to upgrade my account back to the 6mb and was told "it is not available for your area." This is obviously untrue since I was paying for and receiving 6 mb prior to switching to U-verse, and both technicians were able to see the signal holding strong at 6 mb. I was told I had to call the technician personally, who would have to call the engineer, who then could override Customer Service's computer screen to upgrade me to 6 mb.

When I called the technician (who probably regrets giving me his number at this point), he said that he would "try" to call the engineer but that the engineer is "really hard to get a hold of." That was on 20 October and I haven't heard anything since.

That was sent on October 24th. On October 26th, I received a phone call saying "We received an email from you saying that you wanted to cancel your U-verse service. Please verify so we may proceed."

Head. Desk.

Next I spoke to James in Tier 2 who assured me that if I was getting 6 Mbps signal before, I should be getting it now. He said he would send out a technician for an Address Validation to show that yes, my house gets 6 Mbps, the sales system would be updated and bam - done. And it would only take 48 hours max.

Now it's October 28th, 10 days since this all started. I asked to talk to Tier 2 but was first asked to "answer some questions." When the woman had no idea what I was talking about, I told her to get me a manager. For the first time in 10 days, I got really upset on the phone. The manager told me that he had no record of James saying that he would send out a technician - the ticket had been closed out and that he could set up a technician visit but it would cost me anywhere from $75-$150 depending on what was wrong and I'd have to pay the technician, not AT&T, and it would take a few days to send a technician out. I told him that my case was with Tier 2, and that I needed to speak to them and he told me "I'm not going to argue with you. Either take this, or we can't help you."

That's when I started screaming and crying. Not my hottest most mature moment, but I was beyond angry. I said to get me another manager NOW.

The "floor manager" - Kristen - got on the phone and I told her "Look, this is obviously a losing battle. I've spent 10 days and several hours on the phone just to be told that my case was closed so I wanted to cancel my U-verse and put me back on DSL. I know I could get 6 Mbps with DSL, and I wanted it back. She explained to me that because the area was transitioning, DSL might not be available but she would get the retention department back on the line.

However, she never got back on the line, and neither did retention. I'm sure I was labeled as a "difficult customer" after my little fit... Instead, I spoke to Patrick in Tier 2 - the first person to not only explain everything in detail but gave me his employee number so I could contact him again, and not get caught up in the "normal" customer service line that I had to deal with earlier.

Patrick explained that James did NOT close my ticket, but rather had escalated it but forgot to expedite it. Because AT&T is "so far behind", Address Validation takes 5 weeks, not 48 hours unless you expedite it. He told me that he would have the Address Validation expedited and if I hadn't heard anything by Halloween, call back, ask for Tier 2, and give his employee number to who ever answered the phone and he would deal with it personally. Finally, a sigh of relief.

Unfortunately though, Halloween was spent with me in a dark quiet room as I had my first migraine in months. We didn't even go Trick or Treating as I couldn't even sit up without crying. If you have had a migraine, you know what I'm talking about.

When I called the next day, Patrick wasn't working (which I knew would be the case as he said he was working Sunday and Monday, but not Tuesday). I was told that my account had been escalated once again to "Miami", and that the notes in my account said that any time I called it, to be routed to her (note: it was said "her" - as in a person). The first person I talked to tried calling Miami 3 times and left 2 messages and told me that I would get a phone call back.

You know I didn't get a phone call back.

To continue my frustration, I got a "final DSL bill" from AT&T. If you recall, it was supposed to be prorated for 5 days of service (even though I only had 3 days of service), but no, it was for a full month. When I called to inquire, I was told that the bill was posted before the cancellation (I called on the 18th, the bill was printed on the 19th, the cancellation went through on the 20th), and that a new prorated bill for $5.25 would be sent out. I'm happy to say that I did get that new bill (corrected) and paid it promptly.

I called again the next day and was told that my account had to be routed to Miami. The representative tried twice to get Miami on the line but couldn't. He asked me to please hold because he was going to try and get authorization to give me Miami's direct number. Sir, I don't remember your name, but I still wish I could hug you. A few minutes later, I had a number. A real number - not a 800 or 888. I didn't recognize the area code, so I asked where it was so I could call in the proper time limits for the time zone and was told "Miami is in Florida." I don't know why my first representative talked about Miami like a person and that she would call me back and she wasn't answering the phone but whatever.

Of course I called right away and got a busy signal but I wasn't going to stand for a busy signal. I called and called until someone answered "AT&T". I explained that I was routed to them and he said "Well this isn't a customer service number" to which I explained I knew that but this is what I was told - so kind of... fix it? :] He then told me that the Address Validation was being done and he would call me back by the end of the day.

Do I really need to tell you that no one called? Again?

Move to November 7th and I called and talked to "Jackie" who promised me she would call me back in 24 hours to update me.

So after the 24 hours that she didn't call, I decided to call back and she was called to the line and told me that she talked to an engineer but that it's a lot of technical jargon so she didn't want to confuse me. She said "We're looking to pair..." to which I interrupted her and said "Pair two lines to my house so that instead of one single 3 Mbps, you'll be pulling 2 different 3 Mbps, which will give me a 6 Mbps signal again, right?" She laughed and said "Oh you do understand?" I tried to find the humor, but this was now day 22 and I was tired of fighting. She told me she'd call me back by noon of the next day (but that she was working until 4).

Day 23: Jackie didn't call me back at noon, so I waited until 3:45 to call her back and she told me that they couldn't pair my account but they would look at getting me back to my 6 Mbps DSL. I told her that I asked for that a week ago and was told no, but she said that she would try anyway.

Day 25: Yesterday. I got a phone call from the Miami office but it wasn't Jackie. The guy on the line told me that they were able to push my speed back to 6 Mbps U-verse. "Have a great day."

I wanted to see how many times and how many minutes I spent on the phone with AT&T, because I know it was a lot. The day that I spoke to Patrick and the 2 managers (including the one that I had the fight with) was a three hour phone call. I pulled my most recent phone bill to find out SURPRISE! AT&T doesn't include/record phone calls that are made to their phone numbers (in this case, an 800 number). How convenient, hmm?

Now, despite my obvious reservations with my experience, I set my little brother up with AT&T U-verse as well in his apartment. We did have installation issues as well (no 4 digit pin was ever provided to set up the account) and had to call Tier 2 to fix it but otherwise it was fine... until today. We received his first bill and instead of the original $100 charge for the modem/router/installation and $20 for the service (one year at $19.95/month), he was charged the full $48.05 a month for a 3 Mbps signal. When I called billing, the system hung up on me saying it was closed, despite the online website saying that it's open on Saturdays until 4 PM CST.

And Nick? He got his first bill and was charged for the the replacement modem/router that was reported stolen/lost so now he has to call to remove the $100 in charges. They also originally told him that he'd have his $36 installation charge waved, but they didn't wave it on his bill.

I don't expect AT&T to really do anything about this. I'm not looking for compensation for my time and irritation, as I don't think they'd give it to me anyway. I did fill out every single email survey that was sent to me about my experience and I haven't been shy to explain how I am very dissatisfied and I would cancel my account today if something else was available in my area. Unfortunately, the only other option in my town is cable internet at 7Mbps for $82 compared to AT&T 6Mbps for $38. (How my brother's 3Mbps is $48 and my 6 Mbps is $38, I don't understand - more stuff for me to ask on Monday...)

So there you have it. AT&T, I'm not happy with you.

For those who read this all, here is your kitten!

UVERSE night

@sbcglobal.net

Re: at&t uverse in kingsville TX

No Kitten please. My story has been going on for over a year now. Bottom line, fiber optics ends more than 2500 ft away and then pushed through old copper lines and then underground to house. They would not let me out of contract but I was allowed to drop the TV part so now it is just Phone and Internet with both go down several times a day. I finally filed FCC complaint after ATT Rep Nancy ID#NR8400 told me to go home and call her from house (phone don't work) so she could do a test. I reminded her phone did not work so she suggested I go around the neighborhood and borrow a cell phone to make the call. When my blood pressure finally calmed down I called back and goat a nicer person.

I also received a call from a ATT Supervisor asking when they could do to fix problem. They said FCC would not allow them to keep offering service if they could not do it 100% so they offered me $200 for all my time and aggravation. At lease I can watch TV when phone and internet go down.

Frustrated in Costa Mesa

Jeff Robin

@mycingular.net

AT&T lied bate and switch

They sold me with 92 a month then I got a bill for $230 and the boxes suck don't believe uvers promise

desertdebbie

a sucker is born every minute with AT&t -stay away U-VERSE

I have nothing but trouble with AT&T billing in the past so it was with great great trepidation I called and got Uverse for $14.95 a month - told the modem was free (when I told them I did not want their modem) - no mention of any activation fee - only informed about data limits when I am activating it with a rep who tells me I am wrong - there's no data limit. Just got the bill - my $14.95 service morphed into a bill for $228. - UNBELIVEABLE - went to complain on the PUC site and discovered they don't handle internet complaints - where can I go - BBB???

Review by flybige See Profile

• Location: Clinton Township,Macomb,MI
Good "a 30 minute upgrade took the techs 5+ hours"
Bad "Still don't have my full internet speed"
Overall "I'm probably going to go to comcast. AT&T is getting too pricey"

Got uverse several years ago when they came in and had the whole house DVR. It was great and I got a good deal. Now my rates seem to be going up every 6-12 months for the fee or some new tax. My guaranteed lifetime rate on my phone has changed 3 times now due to fees and other increase they claim are out of their hands. I am now over 200+ a month for the U300 package.

My install took all day...my upgrade took over 5 hours to complete and I still don't have the promised speed.

The good think I got out of it is a Motorola NVG569 RG that has a built in backup battery and wireless N capability.

The installers were nice but just ran into problems and it took awhile for them to troubleshoot everything. The problem resulted from and incorrect initial install.

UPDATE:
Techs back again trying to fix the service....Tech also calling for more support as stuff appears to be screwed up in the boxes outside as well.....

Comments:

Att tech

Upgrade

I'm guessing you either had an Inid or just upgraded to 45 meg downstream (available in very few areas). Regardless of which applies to you the point is that if you have an Inid or the nvg589 your service is now a bonded pair, except in the rare case where you have single pair service and recieved a nvg589 (logistics issue at garage). Regular uverse is ran off a twisted pair - 1 pair (2 wires) in a cat5 cable. Bonded pair is ran off of 2 pairs (4 wires) in a cat5 cable. Those two pairs need to go all the way to your modem, which if you have bad wiring in your home poses as a problem. Another issue may be the actual wire center that you live in ( main telephone cable). If your neighborhood wasn't designed to manage bonded pair capabilities (which most aren't and cost billions to fix) or your wire center has an old main cable, these can pose as potential prolonged installations and not reaching your internet speeds. Also keep in mind that even with an RG (modem) with N capabilities you may never reach full internet potential due to distance from RG, interferences between wifi device and RG, ect. Hope this helped you out.

Review by idmd See Profile

• Location: Fairfield,Fairfield,CT
Good "When it's working Uverse has superior DVRs to Cablevision"
Bad "Inconsistent service and techs who can't fix problems, substandard internet speeds and terrible sounding phone"
Overall "Uverse has forced me back to Cablevision and their 1990's technology - at least it works"

·Optimum Online
I had Cablevision for years with no "problems" although their DVRs were ancient and my bill was getting pretty high. A friend of mine was talking about Uverse and how much better the DVRs are and suggested I try them. I ordered their triple play - installation went well with no surprises. We had 5 set-top boxes installed as well as internet and phone.

My initial impression was their DVRs were in fact superior to Cablevision's DVRs. PQ was equal to CV on HD channels although their SD channels were much worse than CVs - not a problem since I hardly ever watch SD with the exception of BBC America which is STILL SD on Uverse. Phone quality is poorer than CV's in both sound quality and consistency - voices drop out in and out constantly. Internet from the start was very disappointing with speeds not even remotely close to what I paid for and constant latency problems. The first 6 months of service was stable with few issues and then that all changed.

Starting about 6 months ago all three services started dropping multiple time per day. I'd loose TV signal, internet and phone for anywhere between 10 seconds and 5 mins multiple times per day. I called tech support who ran some line tests and I was told "my second line was down" and someone would need to come out to the house.

The first tech came out, said no problem and then spent an hour looking around and then said he had "No idea how this system was installed" and someone else would need to come out. He confirmed we had a "line fault 3000 feet from the node" but he couldn't find the fault....a more senior guy needed to come out - sounds good.

Tech 2 comes out and he has no idea what the problem is so I get him up to speed, he quickly declares the first tech an idiot and goes about looking around for TWO hours before he comes up and says "my second line keeps going down" but "I don't really understand the install so I'm going to try and get the guy who installed your system out here".

Tech 3 (Not the guy who installed the system) comes out, again has NO IDEA what has already been done or ANY of the history. He's here for about 2 mins, leaves for 10 mins and comes back and says "All fixed! I tightened your connections at the box down the street and you're all set. Both lines are up and running". Within 20 mins of him leaving same problems occur.

Tech 4 comes out and looks around for 20 mins and says "I need to get a bucket truck out here....there's nothing wrong with your equipment or install...problem is probably between the node, pole and house."

Tech 5 bucket truck guy AGAIN has no idea why he's here. He goes up in the bucket and says "problem is not at the pole or node". He said I "probably need a new box (the one located in the basement next to the breaker) but ATT doesn't supply bucket guys with these" so he can't help me out. Someone else needs to come out.

Tech 6 replaces box and problems still present.

At the moment all three services drop multiple times per day. Even when TV is up and running if you pause the current channel and begin watching (even after only pausing for 2 mins) it skips ahead to current TV 100% of the time after a few mins. Internet even when "working" is only giving 8-9Mbps and latency is +200-300ms. So I was forced to wait out my 12 month contract and go back to CV with their ancient technology since I never had a problem with their service, CV's internet is SUPERIOR in EVERY WAY as is their phone quality. My feeling is Uverse is good technology in the home but it's using an ancient infrastructure between the nodes and houses and my guess is that's where my problem is but ATT doesn't want to restring lines. In the end I don't really care what the problem is I just want my service up and running and Uverse just can't provide that.

Comments:

David

Can we help?

can we in at&t direct help put an end to the madness?

Let me know and thanks- David
idmd

join:2011-01-13
Fairfield, CT
·Optimum Online

Re: Can we help?

I appreciate the offer David but I'm already back with Cablevision. I'm pulling 58Mbps down and 28Mbps up (something ATT could never match) with equivalent PQ and contrary to other's experiences while a little quirky Multi-room DVR has been flawless for me. I'm impressed that the day of the install three TVs failed their internal test and a second tech was at my house working till 9:30PM to get them all to pass - yes they even asked if this would be an inconvenience and said I could boot him out at any time and he'd come back tomorrow. In the end he solved the issues same day - I gave ATT 6 tried with no resolution. Any way Happy Holidays!

Granite City, IL
oh well, better luck next time hopefully.

Thanks
david
MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC
·Frontier Communi..

Remote problems

So have the techs ever actually checked your pair(s) at the VRAD/DSLAM? I mean, if AT&T operates anything like CenturyLink or Frontier they probably have oversold nodes and this is why your bandwidth is significantly below provisioning. They keep sending techs with bucket trucks to your house, but the problem is pretty obviously not on your end.
idmd

join:2011-01-13
Fairfield, CT

Re: Remote problems

I don't know what they checked....just that it was not fixed and I was constantly shocked how every new tech had NO IDEA what had been done before him. In the end 6 or 7 chances is just too many.

Review by JoelTR See Profile

• Location: Carmichael,Sacramento,CA
Good "Friendly phone service, consistent speed and connection"
Bad "Had to call to receive rebates."
Overall "Thus far, consistent speed and no down time."

I considered Comcast, Surewest, and AT&T DSL. I previously have Comcast at my previous house, and I considered it for my new home. However, I decided against it because of connection down times I experienced, which was about a couple of days per month. Surewest offered similar service but a little more expensive. The maximum speed I could get with AT&T DSL is 1 Mbps.

Thus, I chose AT&T U-verse. Thus far, I'm happy with the consistent speed of 3 Mbps and no down time yet.

3/23/2011 Update: Since AT&T increased the Internet cost to $35 per month for 3 Mbps, I upgraded to 6 Mbps for an additional $5 per month. In a couple of months, I'll be looking at what Surewest can offer.

11/26/2012 Update: I upgraded to 12 Mbps at $33 per month.

11/3/2013 Update: I had a one year contract that ends on 11/5/2013. My bill has been going up. Now, AT&T is charging me $2 per month for equipment. My total bill for both Internet and voice is now over $82. It started at $69. Thus, I decided to switch over to Surewest.

member for 13.3 years, 4078 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

mrjoe

uverse tv a joke

We had att uverse installed in our home 2 weeks ago and although they knew we had four people who watch tv independently they didn't say we would have any trouble..With four TV's running in evening plus some recording many,,many times we have to watch same channel since this outdated (although new) system only allows a total of 4 functions no matter how many tvs you have.. this is a real Joke and ATT is so misleading in the millions they spend for all the commercials trying to get people to use this service

Review by tobymccann See Profile

• Location: Fort Worth,Tarrant,TX
Good "U-Verse has partnerships with several of the content providers to allow viewing over iphone/ipad"
Bad "Service in my area is deplorable. Slow connection speeds, frequent outages and interruptions in service."
Overall "How they can charge a premium for this product should be illegal. It might be better in neighborhoods that actually have fiber."

We live in an established neighborhood in a nice part of town. Buying a home in this area isn't cheap these days. With that said, its shocking AT&T hasn't updated their infrastructure to provide a level of service comparable to newer neighborhoods. The original marketing of U-verse was fiber to the house to offer blazing speeds and amazing content. However, our neighborhood is utilizing catTV infrastructure which is too far from the VRAD to provide speeds and level of service consistent with rate-plans and marketing claims. We ordered U300 & HSIA MAX VDSL @ 12Mbps, but rarely if ever get those speeds. One of the techs who came to our house said they actually gave us a higher rate to help ensure we get more consistent results since we are too far from the VRAD and the infrastructure is poor.

We do get a $10/mo service credit, but after all of that, taxes and fees I feel more than ripped off to be paying $175/mo for two cable boxes, HD and crappy Internet. By the way, we can only watch and/or record two HD channels at once. If we are using both receivers for HD (who watches anything in SD these days???), we cannot record another program - an issue that haunts us on a regular basis. Rarely, if ever can we make it through one program, movie or sporting event without a freeze, or blue-screen of interrupted service. We've had U-verse out more times than I can care so I don't believe it to be a quick fix, they just need to invest in their customer base. Not many alternatives in my neighborhood either, which gives AT&T little reason to invest, which is sorry.

Comments:

David

Can we help?

Can we assist if possible?
cmarslett

·T-Mobile US
·Clearwire Wireless

Re: Can we help?

Toby,

I would recommend you try help from David. When I had AT&T DSL and U-verse, I got the only useful customer service the company ever provided through the monitors here in the AT&T specific forum.

Texas (at least Pflugerville) tech support is REALLY marginal.
BigVe