AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by a16659235 See Profile

• Location: Dixon,Solano,CA
Good "Upload speed is near advertised "
Bad "Download speed, price, equipment failure, outages, "
Overall "I am looking at cable but have reservations"

Advertised price was $39.95 x12 mos for 18Mbps down/1.5Mbps up - was a few years ago now but service and consistent line quality is spotty at best due to the way our U-Verse is installed.
Cannot remember the initial installation but the technician was hyper friendly and was quick about the installation. However the equipment failed several times over the past few years and have had two converter boxes and routers replaced. No apparent reason for the failure. Poor quality 2Wire products.
Manufacturer: Pace Plc
Model: i3812V
U-Verse failed at every Super Bowl day, and would be out of service until the next day, failed equipment, outages for no reason, horrible download speeds

U-Verse doesn't live up to it's advertised speeds.

Comments:

Review by montana3087 See Profile

• Location: Walnut Creek,Contra Costa,CA
Good "Better speeds than DSL"
Bad "Dropped Connection all the time"
Overall "Need more consistate connection."

Speed is okay, but would like faster for the cost.
Connection problems, replaced the wi-fi but still lots of dropped connections from the "modem."

Comments:

mtadruss

@72.52.96.x

Worst experience with Customer Service

I started my service with ATT U Verse for TV, Internet and Phone Services, and the second day they disconnected the three service for unknown reason. I kept calling for 4 days no one could have helped me or explained to me the real situation. My family stayed for 5 days without TV, Internet or Phone. Can anyone imagine that!!! I canceled my service withe AT&T.

Review by eDarryl See Profile

• Location: Pickerington,Fairfield,OH
Good "Good customer service."
Bad "Poor connection, very high latency."
Overall "Sorry AT&T, you lost me."

Why I subscribed to AT&T U-verse back in 2009 was because I wanted to consolidate my AT&T LandLine phone and AT&T DSL. U-Verse seemed to be the logical choice. I use DirecTV for television. Customer Service was very helpful and polite. They had very flexible times to schedule a tech to come and install.

Within a week, the tech came and installed TWO boxes inside my house and hung a big ass router outside my house, my phone and internet were converted to U-Verse. YAY! .. right?

First, the advertised speed was never consistent with my subscribed package. I had the 18d/2u internet package. SpeedTest.net always showed my speed as 12d/1u. Occasionally getting bumped to 15-18d but never, ever got more than 1.5d. And latency was always 50-90ms. That's unacceptable network latency. This was pretty much my connection over my 5 years with AT&T. That latency really screwed with Netflix picture clarity.

U-Verse caps at 250GB/month!

Now, the MAIN reason I left AT&T. A week after the tech left, a thunder storm came through. U-Verse modem disconnected and stayed that way until the electrical storm passed. I immediately thought "grounding issue". I went outside and verified that the router they hung on the side of my house was indeed grounded. I called AT&T and they ran some line tests and sent another tech out to verify grounding as well. Verified...all was grounded properly. The tech did replace my two boxes in my house (modem and that battery thing). Next storm that came through, I was working from home. It knocked me offline. U-Verse modem was disconnected again. I ignored it, waited for the storm to pass and then forgot about it. This went on for a few years. Finally I was online working from home doing an important presentation, storm came through and offline I went. I called AT&T first chance I got to express my frustration and insisted this issue be corrected immediately. Over that summer I had called AT&T three more times for this issue. Every tech came out, checked the wires, connections, made a mess of my wire cabinet. Still, storm came through and offline I went. Final straw.

I had been thinking about cutting the landline cord anyway. Therefore, I canceled U-Verse (both phone and internet).

I switched to Time Warner Cable, just for Internet. I got their 30d/5u package and get a strong, solid, consistent connection of 35d/6u with 15ms latency. Netflix is crystal clear HD now. Before I review TWC, let's see how TWC cable internet handles a thunderstorm and if their connection and signal stays strong and consistent as it is now.

Comments:

David
Granite City, IL

well sorry to see you go...

Thanks for trying us, and better luck next time

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX

Typical of xDSL...

Disconnects during thunderstorms are typical of xDSL technologies, no matter how strong the signal is or how close you are to the DSLAM or VRAD during thunderstorms the modem/gateway will take so many errors that it will reboot.

Cable is also vulnerable but it can handle much more and probably will not disconnect. I found a very informative site here.

»adslm.dohrenburg.net/troubleshoo···ence.php

»adslm.dohrenburg.net/
tkdslr

join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL
·T-Mobile US
·Speakeasy

Re: Typical of xDSL...

Your link describes aDSL interference at 40 miles.. With my >12kft CO aDSL loop I could detect them out to 250 miles, within 60 miles aDSL was almost useless.

Some aDSL modems behaved very badly with noise.. Alcatel/Lucent I.E.. exceeding some limited noise threshold triggering a 10 second retraining operation, every 60 seconds.

Encapsulation protocols like PPPoE made the lost packets even worse..

For a while, I was an alpha site for DirectvDSL improving their retraining algs.

But then the powers that be killed off the aDSL division after the blocked Dish merger, and cut loose 1/4 million aDSL customers.

Review by wheelbarrow See Profile

• Location: Kansas City,Clay,MO
Good "Consistent speeds, good latency."
Bad "I wish the speeds were faster for what I'm paying."
Overall "U-Verse seems to be a good option for internet service."

·Windstream
Update 5/26/2014:

Speeds and latency have been consistent. Despite paying for 18 Mbps, I'm getting 22 Mbps due to over-provisioning. I'm still unable to subscribe to the 24 Mbps or higher packages.

AT&T recently bumped up the equipment costs per month to $7 for the modem/router. I wasn't too impressed with that move, and I'm still not.

I will be moving over to Google Fiber within the next few months, as signups were recently made available to my location. I still consider U-Verse to be a decent option if Google Fiber is not available - though the price does seem to be a little high in comparison to other providers in the area, of which offer faster speeds. Considering how badly AT&T is going to be whipped once Google Fiber actually starts service in northern Kansas City, you'd think they would try to be a little bit more competitive.

member for 4.5 years, 1657 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

DAg Aligaz

@23.127.18.x

Disappointed Customer with AT&T U-verse

I was out of internet/AT &T U-verse/ for one week
lost all times and money from 5/6/ 2014 through 5/13/2014 I called tech support and they told me they gonna send me a new modem. I got the modem arrived after couple days later and I called them back, to let them knew that I had the same problems "not working”…...the AT&T U-verse Rep. apologized me for inconvenent she told me that their is a network problems around my areas they promised me to be solved within the next day which they did fixed the problems. I send back the box/modem next day and they received it no problem. The funny parts now they send me additional $100 dollars bills on the top of my regular bills…no reason why?. I called back waited about (24.19 minute) to speak to someone. I talked to Rep. ’ after waisting time she told me that I have to pay this extra $100 dollars and then later I’ll get it back in three month as a crdit .
They got wonderful system right…??? they can’t take it out this $100 dollars from there system right away according she said and apologized again …… Wow…..
I’ll wait 3 month to get my ($100dollars) credit back!
Great service AT&T U-verse….!
I was very disappointed losing time, money and I got to scwed-up charged $100.

Review by techguyga See Profile

• Location: Cumming,Forsyth,GA
Good "Installation techs, picture quality, internet speeds, equipment"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "Great product offering!"

I have to say that so far, I am completely impressed. I have been a DirecTV customer for 14 years and was fed up with their contract renewal policy, so I decided to try Comcast. I live in a very rural area, and these have been my only choices.

After spending 6 days, including almost 17 hours on the phone with Comcast tech support, and 4 hours standing in their local office, I was almost ready to give up and switch back to satellite. Just for fun, I checked the availability page on the U-verse site and to my surprise, it was available!

I ordered at 6:45pm on Monday, and my install appointment was set from 9-11 the very NEXT MORNING. The outside tech called 10 minutes prior to arrival (9am) and was very courteous. He pulled new cable to my house from the street (900+ feet). He verified that the signal was good and started packing up.

I then received a call from the inside tech 10 minutes prior to arrival (10am). He was also very courteous and professional. He discussed placement of the equipment, told me exactly what he was about to do, said it would take about 2.5 hours, and set about his work.

At 12:15, he was sitting down with me on the couch and explaining my package, how it operates, and all the controls and equipment. At 12:30, he was on his way, exactly as promised.

I have only had the service for a couple of days now, but internet speeds are as advertised and the TV picture quality is exquisite. I am a happy customer so far.

2wire 3801HGV RG
Cisco IPN4320 DVR
Cisco ISB7005/VEN401 Wireless receiver/AP
U300 - HD - 18/1.5Mb internet

****UPDATE - 22-October-2012****

Since service was installed a little over 2 months ago, we have had zero issues, no calls to tech support, and could not be happier with our service. Internet speeds are exactly where they should be, and picture quality is still excellent. No drops in either service. Billing is accurate each month with proper discounts applied. Still a very happy customer.

****UPDATE - 2-May-2014****

No technical issues at all since my last update. I've done a few changes to my package and lost some of my promotional pricing, so my bill is getting on the hefty side now, hence the drop in the value rating. We will hopefully be moving in the next few weeks and the new area unfortunately does not have service. I can truly say that I will miss it once we're gone. Bundle now includes U-300, Power Internet and home phone.

Comments:

guygettinguv

@spcsdns.net

anxious

Ill bet getting uverse set up tomorrow. Will post all aspects if service connection, speeds customer service and hospitality.

Review by AbstraKT See Profile

• Location: Bellflower,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Cheap. $15 Monthly for Express. $40 Regular"
Bad "Super Slow. Speed was NOT as advertised."
Overall "Get something else. Definitely not worth it, despite the good deal."

- We ordered the 1 year $15/month package. It was advertised as the "Express" Package @ 1.5 Down / 0.5 Up

- The order was pretty easy. The "agreed" activation date was 2 weeks from the date we ordered it. However, they didn't activate the service until we called them 2 weeks "after" the agreed activation date. NOT TO mention we had to pay ($50) for a tech guy to come and activate the service. (Which we were not told about)

- We were supplied the Motorola NVG510

- The only thing that was bothersome was the speed. SUPER SLOW. We were definitely not getting 1.5 Up and 0.5 Down. It was more along the lines of 300KB Up / 100KB Down EVEN THOUGH all I planned to use it for was to surf the web. FYI This package is obviously not for gaming. (tried it, failed miserably lol) Downloads were horribly slow. Didn't even bother with uploading anything.

Don't get this deal, spend the extra money to get something better, this package is NOT worth it, despite the price. At least in the area. (90706)

Comments:

thatguythere

@69.178.189.x

Those

speeds are correct. 1.5 mbit down and 0.5 mbit up comes out to around the speeds you're getting in kiloBYTES per second.

join:2014-01-06

Not even close to the correct speeds something is WRONG!

That's not correct, his speeds are way low even using the conversion. If you allow for overhead with ADSL he should still be getting about 1.1 / 0.35

@AbstraKT:

Your profile at ATT is NOT correct. Call them and have them rebuild your account profile. If that doesn't work there is a line problem somewhere, have them do a line test as well.
MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

Re: Not even close to the correct speeds something is WRONG!

1.5 megabits equates to 187.5 kilobytes, without factoring in overhead. 500 kilobits (0.5 megabits) equates to 62.5 kilobytes. It's not hard.
AbstraKT

join:2014-04-29
United State

Re: Not even close to the correct speeds something is WRONG!

"187.5 kilobytes"

Yeah, that's the average speed the downloads were at. It fluctuated a lot though.

How did you know that without even knowing if I'm near a CO or not?

davidc

@108.69.182.x

might have him post in at&t direct

this is david, I am currently logged out, might post in direct and we can check into this tomorrow if you wish.

Have a good night-

Review by jagnew81 See Profile

• Location: 66141
Good "nice install techs and phone Customer Service/Sales"
Bad "no want to fix customer issues if they can't be fixed over the phone."
Overall "not worth it better options in KCMO for internet Time Warner and google fiber where available."

consistently slow since we had got u-verse, customer support puts a band aid on it by "boosting the signal" and that works for about a day or two, then back to 0.25Mbps upload speeds, i am not posting this to get anything at all. I just want to warn other potential customers that At&T U-verse service will leave them wanting another service provider. »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3227314544

Comments:

biotech

VDSL or ADSL2+?

Title pretty much says all that I need to comment in here.
mshoemaker3

not at all unhappy...»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3391216904

Review by luezuve See Profile

• Location: Simi Valley,Ventura,CA
Good "Been rock solid."
Bad "Expensive for slow speed and they're liars."
Overall "Mixed feelings overall but won't put up with liars."

I've had AT&T U-Verse since 2011. I pretty much ordered them as soon as they came into my neighborhood. I've had the 24mbps plan for the same amount of time and AT&T has shown no care about upgrading our neighborhood to the 48mbps. Furthermore, they've supplied me with the same 802.11g router for that time and have never cared about upgrading that either. None of that bothered me until a recent event. I was paying almost $70 a month for 24mbps when Time Warner would give me 50mbps for less and considering many in my area have been upgraded to 100mbps, it's only a matter of time before my neighborhood is. So, I called AT&T and they agreed to give me the 24mbps plan for $37 a month if I agreed to a 1 year contract. While I was hesitant to sign up with them for another 12 months, I couldn't pass up the $37 a month so I agreed. I waited for the contract. Nothing. I get a Bill for $55, I call. "It's a mistake sir, just pay the $37." I do. I call their sales people again to make sure I don't receive another wrong bill and they tell me it's not $37 any more, it's $39.50 because their prices went up in March. Although I agreed to the contract in February, they wouldn't budge and it's not like I'm going to file a lawsuit over what comes to $30/year. So I'm about to drop them and go to Time Warner. Yes, it's "only" $2.50 a month more but it's not that, it's the principle. It's fraud. It's having me agree to one thing but then telling me it's something else. I can't stick with a company like that. I have my doubts if Time Warner will be better, but I have little choice.

Unfortunately, this site lists me as "happy overall," but I'm not. I'm not happy with liars.

Comments:

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

ETF?

Were you over 30 days since start of the new contract?
If so, did they let you out without ETF charge;
possibly rate increase was excuse enough?

emjayef

join:2007-11-25
Pleasant Hill, CA
·Anveo
·Astound Broadband

I feel the same way

I have AT&T wireless, and I'm fairly happy with that, and had Comcast xfinity for TV/Phone/Internet. But one time, an ATT agent offered me a uVerse deal, for same features at a supposedly lower cost, but I was still in a Comcast promotion, so I said not now. She called back a couple of times over the next few months, and at the end of my Comcast promotion, I decided to try it on a 30-day free trial.

Fortunately, I kept my Comcast setup, and knew how to do the connections. First thing I found was that I had no HD. Oops, well that can be added for an extra charge. But then I found that I wasn't saving any money after all. Next, I found out that the upload speed was was about 1/4 of the Comcast speed, even though I had asked specifically about that and been told, after someone checked for me, that the upload speed was 5 or 6 mb/s. When I got my first bill, soon after signing up, it was about twice my normal Comcast bill, although it was the first month and probably had more than one month billing.

But it didn't matter; I decided to cancel within the 30 days, and took the equipment to UPS for return. I didn't pay the bill, since I had a free trial, but it took months for them to stop calling and writing, getting really pushy about my non-payment. But finally, after many phone calls back and forth, it got settled.

Meanwhile, at about that time, Comcast raised the service to 29 mb/s where AT&T was only 16, and they gave me a 12-month promotion for internet and phone that was cheaper than AT&T.

Review by FicmanS See Profile

• Location: Brownsburg,Hendricks,IN
Good "TV and phone services are ok"
Bad "Internet Gaming is horrible"
Overall "Comcast Internet is looking good again"

We've been up and running now for 14 months, TV and phone are working very well. Internet Speeds continue to disappoint, hopeful some upgrades will be available in the future. Started pricing Comcast Internet...

Internet speeds continue to be horrible

member for 9.5 years, 2578 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

done deal

@sbcglobal.net

u- verse worse than Charter!

My bill universe is $190 per month and my cell with the same company is $115 per month. I'm not impressed and customers service can only offer me less services to make it less expensive.I got better service for less money at other companies. the universe internet that is supposed to be the best is no better than other DSL. DON'T SWITCH TO AT&T YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Review by pf2007 See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
Bad "att is a bad company"
Overall "Go to another company for internet."

ATT Internet service is the worst internet you can have. they have horrible customer service and the internet will frequently go in and out. Go with comcast instead.

Comments:

BusinessinMI

UVerse internet

Don't let At&t representatives fool you. Switched from AT&T DSL, to UVerse, TERRIBLE!!! I was assured internet speeds of 3 times greater than my existing DSL line, not the case, my internet is slower than ever, this is terrible for a business! Fooled once again by AT&T...If you have Comcast business in your area, get that instead!
golfnow

join:2012-08-19
Knoxville, TN

Re: UVerse internet

Sorry best decision I have ever made was when I left Comcast for Uverse. Much faster.

·Google Voice

having problems? we can help

We have a AT&T direct forum here, I believe the link is even on the front page. You can also click my name and it will show a link on my profile page.

We are here to help!

Thanks
David.
02/24/14- My hours recently changed. I work 11:30 A.M. to 10 P.M. central time. I am not in the office on friday, saturday, or sunday. Thanks-David

@bellsouth.net

Re: having problems? we can help

I came across your post when I was researching ways to increase my isp speed. I currently have business service through AT&T and I have a download speed of (roughly) 2.5mb but my upload speed is where I'm having issues. I need an upload speed of .4 (sustained) but can only manage .27-.33. I called the tech support line and he told me that he could guarantee me .4 upload but in order to do that my download speed would be dropped to 512k, which is unacceptable because I need 1.5mb or better for work. The other alternative I was given (because uverse is not available in my area and they have no idea when or if it will be (his words not mine)) was to purchase another 3 mb line and (I'm assuming because he didn't go into a lot of detail) pair bond to achieve a 6mb service. My big issue with that is that I would have to pay for 2 3 mb service at $34.99 which if you ask me since they seem to be in no hurry to get uverse in my area they should give it to me for the same cost as the uverse service.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks,

Re: having problems? we can help

ahh, had to look at your location... this is in bellsouth where I believe the highest pkg is a 512kb upload, but the downstream is wide open (capped at 6mbps on the ISP side). I think 512kb is all they offer (max upstream offering) in bellsouth. For 13state if you can get the elite tier 3-6 down/ 512-768k up that probably would be better for your needs. If uverse/IPDSL isn't available they wouldn't be able to pair bond ADSL. Only other way to get a sustained upstream above 512kb would be (note: this assumes you do not have alternate providers such as cable, wireless, etc..) a t-1 1.5/1.5 symmetrical.

@bellsouth.net

Re: having problems? we can help

Just got off the phone with AT&T again....and I'm told that the service I have is the 3mb download and .384kb upload (which I don't speed test any where near those) and that is unfortunately the best available at this time. Uverse is not available and won't be for some time. I did get in contact with a cable company that's moving into the area and they are offering a 7mb download and .768kb upload for just a few bucks more. So after being a loyal AT&T customer for 15+ years it looks like I'm gonna have to switch. Thanks for getting back with me though, I appreciate it.

said by Judi :

Thanks for getting back with me though, I appreciate it.

No problem, thanks for using at&t for the long run you had and good luck.

Do call again if there is anything else needed though.