AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by wheelbarrow See Profile

• Location: Kansas City,Clay,MO
Good "Consistent speeds, good latency."
Bad "I wish the speeds were faster for what I'm paying."
Overall "U-Verse seems to be a good option for internet service."

·Google Fiber
·Windstream
Update 12/16/2014:

I have switched to Google Fiber and no longer subscribe to U-Verse. At this point I still would recommend the service if other options are not available. The main downside of AT&T's product is that it is an aging technology (copper) in a world filled with cable and fiber optics. They don't offer a particularly good value.

Update 5/26/2014:

Speeds and latency have been consistent. Despite paying for 18 Mbps, I'm getting 22 Mbps due to over-provisioning. I'm still unable to subscribe to the 24 Mbps or higher packages.

AT&T recently bumped up the equipment costs per month to $7 for the modem/router. I wasn't too impressed with that move, and I'm still not.

I will be moving over to Google Fiber within the next few months, as signups were recently made available to my location. I still consider U-Verse to be a decent option if Google Fiber is not available - though the price does seem to be a little high in comparison to other providers in the area, of which offer faster speeds. Considering how badly AT&T is going to be whipped once Google Fiber actually starts service in northern Kansas City, you'd think they would try to be a little bit more competitive.

member for 4.9 years, 1760 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

DAg Aligaz

@23.127.18.x

Disappointed Customer with AT&T U-verse

I was out of internet/AT &T U-verse/ for one week
lost all times and money from 5/6/ 2014 through 5/13/2014 I called tech support and they told me they gonna send me a new modem. I got the modem arrived after couple days later and I called them back, to let them knew that I had the same problems "not working”…...the AT&T U-verse Rep. apologized me for inconvenent she told me that their is a network problems around my areas they promised me to be solved within the next day which they did fixed the problems. I send back the box/modem next day and they received it no problem. The funny parts now they send me additional $100 dollars bills on the top of my regular bills…no reason why?. I called back waited about (24.19 minute) to speak to someone. I talked to Rep. ’ after waisting time she told me that I have to pay this extra $100 dollars and then later I’ll get it back in three month as a crdit .
They got wonderful system right…??? they can’t take it out this $100 dollars from there system right away according she said and apologized again …… Wow…..
I’ll wait 3 month to get my ($100dollars) credit back!
Great service AT&T U-verse….!
I was very disappointed losing time, money and I got to scwed-up charged $100.

TimeLord04

join:2014-11-13
Danville, CA
·Vonage

Danville, CA U-verse Customer.

We've been with U-verse since their roll out in this area; one of the first to sign up. We left/abandoned/ran away from Comcast.

Due to "Dedicated" Internet Speeds; we've speed tested FASTER than Comcast; and MORE CONSISTENT speeds than Comcast. Routinely under Comcast; we'd drop easily to 1.5 Mb or slower. With U-verse, we routinely hit 44 to 45 Mb on our 45 Mb package.

We've NEVER had an outage; unlike Comcast, and are VERY happy with our U-verse services.

ONLY ONE ISSUE ongoing right now; and that is random pixelations on multiple channels during Prime Time viewing on HD. AT&T has done EVERYTHING it possibly can do; and the pixelations persist. We will continue working with AT&T to resolve the issue.

12-17-2014 at 3:47 PM - PST

Review by milkman82 See Profile

• Location: Lakewood,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Internet, TV video quality, Price, Upload Speeds"
Bad "Caps! Not going back at that rate!"
Overall "great quality of service, poor billing and pricing"

·T-Mobile US
I wanted to try U-verse mainly for the upload speeds on the internet connection. However, I have noticed the overall internet connection is GREAT! Not just on the speed but also on the QOS. My Cox cable has about the same speed download, but is terrible with latency on YouTube and various sites load timing.

I was honestly surprised over all of the internet and tv quality. Just wish we did not have to use a RG to connect the service. The RG really does well overall, just bulky and I can't own it!

The guy who came out to install the service did a great job as well. I showed him where I wanted the RG and he had no problem with that. He made a very clean cat5 line in the basement and rather than drill a hole in the floor and run the cable though the hole. He ran it in between the wall and to a port he installed on the wall. Much better than the cable installers! Now, to just enjoy the service!

Update 11/8/2010

Had a few issues over the past couple weeks. However, AT&T direct forums were able to solve the issue. Still on the 24Max tier and enjoying service.

Update 9/24/2011

Service has been running smooth only had one day outage since the last problem almost a year ago. However, my feeling is the service went from a great value to middle of the road. I can't justify a good price with the low caps and increase in modem rental fees.

Update 11/9/2014

Dropped AT&T like a bad habit! Once I moved to Ohio city (2012), all they offered was low speed packages at high prices.. AND WITH CAPS! I was never a cable internet fan in my previous lifetime.. However, Time Warner did fix that for me.. much higher speeds and unlimited bandwidth.. All a great deal!

member for 8.5 years, 1533 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ldollard See Profile

• Location: Stevenson Ranch,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Stable, only had an outage once"
Bad "I rarely get my top speed"
Overall "I most hit about 10mbps down, thats bull#$%^"

The service is what I expect of an ISP, but its the worst out of TWC and Comcast. At least with them i mostly got my top speed.

I pay double for this max speed of 30mbps down. I usually get maybe 9-10mbps. Just unacceptable. Sadly, i can only use ATT in my complex. What a joke.

No i do not recommend them.

Comments:

Vanessa

@108.201.228.x

-1 recommendation

U-Verse..ripoff

Iam paying $200 for a U-300 and a bad quality internet. I called today to lower my bill. An agent insulted my intelligence trying to hook me up on a worst deal, for hours he refused me to give me answers. I am cancelling my service, it's worst than a divorce, ATT what a big scammers, embarrassing that a big corporation handle costumer service matter so poorly. Shame on you...
Vanessa from Fort Lauderdale, Fl

Myhrddin

join:2003-12-12
Beaumont, TX

Re: U-Verse..ripoff

Yes, the sales reps can be pretty bad sometimes. I'd suggest you call again and tell the rep if you can't get decent service at a decent price you are going to give your service to someone else. That usually will get you to someone with the power to make you a good deal and get your service cleared up to working fairly well. ..That is, if you would still be interested in clearing up your issues and getting the price down. If you do, and get a deal you actually can live with, be sure that you have it in an email that it's for 12 months and not one of their famous 6 mo. surprises.
Depending on if you're needing service in town or in a rural situation, there are different options for you should you decide to leave AT&T.

Review by PHDinCT See Profile

• Location: Redding,Fairfield,CT
Good "not much right now...maybe price."
Bad "Poor ISP signal..drop-out, lost datpackets..."
Overall "If Comcast just would get THEIR act together or state of CT would open up to other ISPs...but oh well...gotta make another appt."

So tell me ....what does one do about AT&T U-Verse "throttling" customers' broadband signal trying to get them to trade up to a higher priced Plan? Particularly when they are the ONLY DSL carrier in Connecticut?

(Nearest cable pole is 300 yards and needs a trench dug for cable = $3,000+)

I have repeatedly contacted attcustomercare@att.com NUMEROUS times and they've sent techs out to my home-office, to merely switch routers or ck wiring, but they're always unreliable and drop-out internet signal is something that these techs just don't seem to be able to fix...mmmm, wonder why? NOT!

Comments:

Zenit

join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon Online DSL

Comcast

Regarding Comcast:

A 900ft distance is not too bad for a cable plant extension - the underground part is probably driving up the costs. I assume you tried singing up for business class service?

They will often waive minor construction like this if you sign a business class contract for 2 or 3 years.

If they only come down a little on construction costs, you could offer to have the trench dug yourself (rent the machine for a day) and then Comcast's crews would bury the lines.

That is if you own the land.

Good luck dealing with Frontier in the future....

Review by Gbcue See Profile

• Location: Santa Rosa,Sonoma,CA
Good "Great speeds, nice HD quality, free DVR!"
Bad "CAPS"
Overall "Caps stifle innovation and U-Verse has them."

Other options: Either AT&T DSL, Sonic.net (AT&T DSL re-branded) or Crapcast Cable.
Speed: 18megs, it's quite fast and the line we're using only has 54% saturation.
Order process: Great, all online.
Install process: Went fairly quickly due to the whole house being wired with CAT5e.
Equipment: Motorola DVR and 2WIRE RG.
Other thoughts: 0 stars due to 250GB cap per month + Overages!!!

member for 13.2 years, 6873 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by MyReview See Profile

• Location: Burlington,Alamance,NC
Good "TV channel choices"
Bad "When using their wireless system the remote units are VERY slow. At best 10mbs"
Overall "I won't be coming back to U-verse sadly. It looked great at first."

I have the U-verse 200 plan for tv. The internet speed is supposed to be up 18mbs. (not below 13).

The install was fantastic. The service techs were professional, fast and knowledgeable. I came to Uverse from Time Warner (roadrunner) and Dish Network to combine my services and save money. It did save me money, and the tv line up/selection is better. The Internet speed on the main server is ok as well. HOWEVER anything running on wireless in the house is extremely slow! I mean near dial up slow. At best on my laptops only 30 feet away I can only get, at best, 10mbs download. More often than not it is 5-8mbs. I was informed that I would no longer need my Linksys/NetGear router. "The AT&T U-verse router will take care of it all" was the quoted statement.

Well sports fans, "it don't". I haven't tried to put the Linksys back on line yet but after several phone calls to customer service ( they are horrible) and several service techs coming out (they are qualified and professional) I'm politely told "that's the norm for wireless". "AT&T Uverse makes no guarantees about wireless speeds, only the incoming speed to the main router". Well had they told me that up front I surely would have kept what I had. Now the Time Warner cables have been dug up (landscaping) and it will cost to have it all reinstalled. I'm very disappointed, stuck with slow internet speeds and generally angry about it. I will not go back to AT&T anything. I'd planed to switch over cell and landline. Not going to happen now. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had switched the cell over. Luckily, I happy as can be with that service and plan to keep it. When my AT&T contract runs out, I'll switch everything over to the same vendor as my cell. Live and Learn.

Comments:

backman

@76.250.81.x

Uverse service

You would not believe the issues I have had. Never in my long career have I encountered such an inept business, ATT. I wish I had time and space to take you through the horror stories with this installation I have had over the past week and it is still not working. Just take my advise, DO NOT GO Uverse.

Review by WGF_Crafty See Profile

• Location: Mesquite,Dallas,TX
Good "Very little. Quick install? "
Bad "Advertised to be the 24 down plan, so I'd say 3 is lacking. Never hot above 1MB a sec, it should be 3MB"
Overall "I also downgraded the internet four months ago. Bottom line is I'm leaving for whoever."

Shady tactics, didn't happen to me, but I worked for two days trying to sell these plans. They would lie straight to your face about how it's fiber like FIOS, and just hope the people weren't smart enough to tell the difference between FTTH and fiber to the node. Jerks.

Horrible pricing. I started with the 6Mbit plan and got about 1.2MB down or about 90KB up, not shabby.

I upgraded to a 24Mbit plan, my speed should have more than doubled (about four months ago) the speed never increased, at all. Upload went to 200KB, but so? I'm not hosting servers. I downgraded it, dropped the phone, and dropped the premium channels they snuck on in early May. I've talked to them four times hearing promises that they'd get it right, despite being billed for a month and then comped, they STILL have the home phone, and the wrong overpriced internet plan.

They always ask stupid questions for verification which I don't remember the answers to (in order to talk to you) and detailed data inside the online account (Say, what I paid for everything 13, 4, and 2 months ago won't cut it.) This is to downgrade the plans. They wanted me to go to a ATT store where I don't even have a phone. Hell Why can't I email you a picture of me and my ID in front of the login page? Cause they want me to get an ATT phone.

So, I'm checking out other providers this very second, I've convinced the rest of the house to ditch cable and get internet and a VPN and HD local TV, save money watch Netflix+Amazon and get whatever else you need... cheaply. (garage sales).

Screw you UVerse, unless you offer me 2-3 MONTHS for free I'm gone for good. And I liked the configuration on their router. But I have two DDWRT54G-TMs laying around begging to be played with

I promise this isn't a fake review lol. Look elsewhere, or if you live near me, pray to the FTTH gods Verizon inches a bit more this way.

Comments:

MJohn

@99.181.56.x

Same

I have been running U-Verse for about 3 months and I have nothing but complaints. I have the 6mb plan and we are getting .3 down and .1 up most times. They tried over charging us by 200 dollars for an instillation fee that we were told we didnt have to pay. After we called them and went into the store, they said they would get rid of it, but instead of doing so, they gave us a late fee for not paying it. It is the internet service i have ever used. A shame, really.

Review by snope See Profile

• Location: Merrillville,Lake,IN
Good "Somewhat Reliable Connection and Speed"
Bad "Ancient Technology in the Twenty-First Century (Where's mah fiber optikz!1)"
Overall "It's either Comcast or ATT. Thanks, Free Market!"

U-Verse Internet Elite
6 Mbps/768 kbps

Apparently, my download speed has gone down, significantly. I'm going to call and keep you posted.

I WAS on a year-long promotional deal of $30 a month that just expired. That is a MUCH more reasonable price for this slow service.

Comments:

Review by a16659235 See Profile

• Location: Dixon,Solano,CA
Good "Upload speed is near advertised "
Bad "Download speed, price, equipment failure, outages, "
Overall "I am looking at cable but have reservations"

Advertised price was $39.95 x12 mos for 18Mbps down/1.5Mbps up - was a few years ago now but service and consistent line quality is spotty at best due to the way our U-Verse is installed.
Cannot remember the initial installation but the technician was hyper friendly and was quick about the installation. However the equipment failed several times over the past few years and have had two converter boxes and routers replaced. No apparent reason for the failure. Poor quality 2Wire products.
Manufacturer: Pace Plc
Model: i3812V
U-Verse failed at every Super Bowl day, and would be out of service until the next day, failed equipment, outages for no reason, horrible download speeds

U-Verse doesn't live up to it's advertised speeds.

Comments:

Review by montana3087 See Profile

• Location: Walnut Creek,Contra Costa,CA
Good "Better speeds than DSL"
Bad "Dropped Connection all the time"
Overall "Need more consistate connection."

Speed is okay, but would like faster for the cost.
Connection problems, replaced the wi-fi but still lots of dropped connections from the "modem."

Comments:

mtadruss

@72.52.96.x

Worst experience with Customer Service

I started my service with ATT U Verse for TV, Internet and Phone Services, and the second day they disconnected the three service for unknown reason. I kept calling for 4 days no one could have helped me or explained to me the real situation. My family stayed for 5 days without TV, Internet or Phone. Can anyone imagine that!!! I canceled my service withe AT&T.