AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by Darknessfall See Profile

Good "TV features, uptime, and price"
Bad "Same service for 5 years :)."
Overall "Good product, but should upgrade their speeds"

How I'm installed:

All coax except for one TV by the gateway which has Ethernet while using the 2Wire 3801.

Equipment Review:

RG -The 3800 has been going strong for 4 years so far expect for the summer of 2010 when it decided to lose signal a lot but since then it hasn't dropped out once at all.I haven't gotten to use the ethernet for my computer since it was placed as close as possible to the NID so I mainly use wireless and it has been pretty decent while only having two bars. Pinging my gateway usually gives 1-2ms latency BUT sometimes our gateway may have a random wireless seizure every couple of months for a few days where your wireless becomes incredibly laggy but other than that it has been fine. The wireless performance is kind of poor on max speed though due to using wireless G still. I kind of wished they kept the modem/router separate since it makes it a little more annoying if you want to add a router ; ).

- Changed to 3801 model after posting this. Not much difference. -
- The 3801 seems to get really hot - 6/28/2013
- Would like to add that with my WNDA4100 adapter I now get full bars through a lot of walls on my gateway. Wireless G still makes it a little at this distance though.

STB(1x Motorola VIP1216/2x VIP1200s) - While I cannot comment on the recording feature since we barely use it they still are in good condition and well... work...
- Update: I seem to see random moments when all STBs in our home refuse to turn off with the physical power button on the STB. Usually clicking the "Menu" button on the STB fixes it.

Remote - All I can say that is it's very well laid out and doesn't feel too bulky.

TV:

SD - It's pretty decent. Clear on CRT and on a HDTV it can either be clear or maybe a little blurry depending on original format.

HD - Clear and soft edged. Some channels seem a little blurry at times though while others are great.

Audio - Clear and no drop outs.

Pixelization - I barely see any at all except for the rare moment it may randomly do it for less than a second after months.

On Demand - No comment since we barely use but movie buying was quick and easy. One thing I like to note is that the On Demand section is a little empty at times.
Note: Movie rentals last 2 days I believe.

Menu - Always fast and no lag but sometimes I find myself going through menu options that should of been closer to the start of it all.

Channels - We love the channel selection on U-verse that other companies such as Comcast do not have. There are usually two or so channels of the same channel in case you want to watch something else on that channel during a certain time.

Phone:

Quality - Decent

Caller ID on TV - We've always loved this feature and it hasn't had a glitch for us.
Caller ID on Phone - Works, sometimes. Usually get "Incoming call" on the phone.

Responsiveness - Good but when we first got the service we had dial problems that fixed themselves.

Internet:(No longer have internet service)

Latency - We usually get about 25ish with 1ms jitter.(Wireless)

Advertised vs real world - We are only on the 3 down/ 1 up plan and get about 3.1 down/ 1 up(Wireless)

Speeds - Decent for an average user.

Internet Consistency - Always on. Never went down when our power remained on.

Billing:

Errors - None

Problems - None

Price changes - Get yourself on a promo price .

Paying a bill: Fast

Old customer bonuses: Well... pretty poor. Most they give you is $5 off for a few months when you upgrade and such. They give out free previews of the other channels over major holidays though. $10 promo card to upgrade to paperless billing made me laugh a little though.

- Update: Got added onto promo pricing .

Support:

Opinion - We hadn't had much luck with support at all. First time the rep helped give us a temp solve that we would have to keep using at the time then another rep began to blame our computer and repeatedly ask us to buy something for $99 until we said we were hanging up(Turns out the whole issue was because of the cheap 2wire USB adapters we had). I also had good reps over live chat that seemed to be nice and answer my questions well. Like most companies you can either get the dumb or the great people. The wait time wasn't too bad but they like to swap you around to other people a lot. When we recently asked for new equipment there were no questions asked, quick and easy. We got our equipment the next business day.

Update: Got 3 free remotes. Declined offer for free wireless receiver upgrade.

Update: 6/28/2013
Service is still running good with no downtime. Line seemed to have dropped in quality VERY slightly. I get a couple thousand corrected blocks over time in my RG's error table. Random link retrains/ DSL Training errors on bootup.

I'm hoping we get the new RG in our area soon. Still no RG firmware update for our 2wire 3801 and Motorola STBs.
- Got the RG firmware update today - 6/29/2013

Was offered Max Turbo for $33 for 2 years but didn't take it at this time. Will look later to see if Comcast can offer me Blast for $34.99. Hopefully AT&T decides to speed up their upgrades.

Update: 11/27/2013

Still only U300 + Unlimited Home Phone

No real issues still. Dreading the annual price increases. The price has gone up by quite a bit since almost 5 years ago.

Line stats at the time of this update:
Downstream Upstream
Max User Rate 59785 kbs Not Available
Noise Margin 19.2 dB Not Available
Attenuation 10.3 dB Not Available
Output Power 14.3 dBm -21.2 dBm

Update: 2/17/14

Have U300(3 receivers) + Unlimited Home Phone + Max Turbo now

Got into another promotion and everything together totals $124. May downgrade to the 200 minute plan.

It's been 5 years now of having U-verse.
Update: 7/28/14

I recently upgraded our broken VIP1200 to an ISB7005 which is must faster. I also downgraded from Max Turbo to Max Plus(getting 23/2). We also downgraded to the 200 minute plan a few months ago. My bill is now $109.

Line stats at the time of the update:

Down/ Up
Max User Rate 60168 kbs Not Available
Noise Margin 19.4 dB Not Available
Attenuation 10.8 dB Not Available
Output Power 14.2 dBm -20.7 dBm

member for 1.9 years, 1051 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Darknessfall
join:2012-08-17

Update - Data Collected for 15 Hours

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
·magicjack.com

Re: Update - Data Collected for 15 Hours

Good review. Detailed and a good read. My only confusion is why the screenshot with only 15hrs of time? It'd be more helpful with about a week of data collected.
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.
Darknessfall
join:2012-08-17

Re: Update - Data Collected for 15 Hours

said by ImpldConsent:

I just reset my gateway then decided to post it so it was too late . I'll probably post another error table soon to replace it. Still looks the same at the time of this post.

Review by adrenatek See Profile

• Location: Asheville,Buncombe,NC
Good "connection quality is excellent, very stable"
Bad "had some initial issues upon starting service but they were resolved"
Overall "surprisingly good!"

·Charter
I have ADSL2+ Uverse "Max", and it has been great so far. I get the expected/advertised speeds and the connection is more stable than my cable internet connection ever was. Had a line noise issue at first but the local office fixed that within the first week. Have not yet bothered switching to fastpath but the ping times are still better and more consistent than my prior cable internet ever was. Glad I subscribed.

Comments:

earthfriend

@24.240.219.x

Plastic advertising cards

just received an 81/2"x6" HARD PLASTIC advertising card from AT&T. It is not recyclable! Why on earth would you send out thousands if not more non-recyclable hard plastic cards for advertising?
Another reason not to use your services. So anti-environmental...

Review by Archangel83 See Profile

• Location: Kent,Portage,OH
Good "Happy with the service"

I have the Max Plus plan is good for downloading large files quickly as well as uploading large files. The tech who Installed the service was top notch fixed many problems on my line and installed a new jack. The gateway is a Pace 5031NV-030 and is easily configurable. The only problems I have encountered with the service is during those primetime hours HD streaming of netflix can be tough.

Comments:

Review by kramsde2 See Profile

• Location: Toledo,Lucas,OH
Good "Good quality service"
Bad "Packet loss during hard rain storms"
Overall "Great product for less money"

AT&T U-verse truly is a good product. I had a hard time getting U-verse as AT&T's online database and customer service reps told me U-verse was not available at my home YET lots of my neighbors had it and a AT&T sales rep came to my house wanting me to go with the product. At that time, I was not interested in switching. I was extremely hesitant switching from cable to U-verse however U-verse has proved to be a stable and reliable product.

PHONE- When switching from my old cable provider to U-verse, getting my phone number ported from the old company to u-verse was nothing less than a nightmare. It took over 2 months to get my number ported over. I called AT&T and would get the answer that my old provider did not release the number. I'd call the cable company to figure out why they did not release the number and would get the answer that they did release the number and U-verse did not pick it up yet. Nevertheless, this went on for WEEKS! I got to the point where I'd do a three a way call between Buckeye (old provider) and AT&T U-verse to get this problem figured out. When that didn't work, I contacted the FCC to get the problem resolved. Before I did get the FCC's final letter, AT&T did port over my number. In this case, I don't believe it was Buckeye's fault. The FCC report to me found that AT&T continued to cancel my order to port my number over. Why...I'll never know. After getting my number ported over, I had an issue that anyone calling me from a Buckeye phone (whom was my old provider) could not call my U-verse phone although I could call a Buckeye phone without any problems. I called Buckeye and they fixed the issue. So total time getting my old number back was about 2 1/2 months.

TV- I truly think this is the best part of U-verse. While I do NOT subscribe to their HD service, the picture & sound is very clear and crisp. Whole home DVR works great too. I find it much easier to schedule my shows from my phone/computer opposed to the TV. I find scheduling on the TV's much more cumbersome. An issue I've noticed (not often - once in a blue moon) is that my TVs will freeze during very heavy rain storms. I'm not sure if this is because there is a leak in the line someplace or what. I had AT&T come out and they told me everything was perfect with my setup and no issues were found yet customer service found issues on my lines. I've not pressed the issue because it doesn't hardly happen.

INTERNET- Works great and I get the speed that I pay for (sometimes a bit more too). I did get faster speeds with cable, but in my neighborhood 18Mbps is the max AT&T offers.

Overall - I'm very happy with AT&T and I don't regret switching. It's a great product for the price!

member for 29 days, 23 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ZeCanard See Profile

• Location: Euless,Tarrant,TX
Good "Fast, cheap and very stable"
Bad "Very slow to fix the one time I had an issue"
Overall "Awesome when it works, but thankfully extremely reliable"

I got lucky that I moved into my new house in January 2010 just when AT&T had a 999-month (lifetime) promotion for Max Plus at a fixed $40 per month. Around 2013 however, I’ve had the equipment rental fee tacked on to my bill, but it’s nothing compared to the base prince increases that I’ve been protected against (I believe this tier now costs $61/mo., but I’m still only paying $40).

Service has always been quite reliable, and my speeds very stable. I was getting a consistent 16/1.6 Mbps originally, slowly increasing until the speed bumps late last year, which originally took me up to 23/1.9 Mbps, then back down to 22/1.9 Mbps. Now it’s back up to 23/2 Mbps while my monthly cost hasn’t changed.

The installation itself was very painless. I had it scheduled for the day I moved in, and the tech worked while I was still driving my U-Haul back and forth. Since the house was already wired with coax for U-verse, everything went smoothly and he was done within an hour or two.

In 2011 I started having intermittent disconnection issues for a week and had a tech come to my house to investigate. He blamed it on my signal being too strong because I was too close to the node so he installed an attenuator. Of course since my disconnections were intermittent everything was fine when he left, and the problems started again within 15 minutes. The next tech came a few days later and threw his hands up in the air. After I told him about the attenuator he said he wasn’t surprised it didn’t resolve my issue. He said it might be the box outside my house that had defective wiring but that it was very unlikely, so he didn’t want to bother. Since he was out of ideas anyway I asked him to go outside and check. He was out there for half an hour. When he came back inside he said the wiring had degraded and he simply replaced everything to be safe. Everything was fixed from there on out. If I remember correctly he still said my signal was running too hot and he still attenuated it from the node, but I can’t remember for sure.

One word of warning about AT&T: I only very rarely have issues with my service, but in my experience whenever AT&T’s Internet service goes down, it goes down for the rest of the day/night. I had AT&T DSL for 6 years before switching to U-verse and I found this to be consistently the case. It pretty much never came back up that night if it died in the evening. I don’t know if they only sent techs out to fix issues in the morning, but you should keep this in mind if you opt for U-verse voice.

member for 11.8 years, 794 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by psiu See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Oakland,MI
Good "We have internet"
Bad "Slow on nights and weekends"
Overall "it sort of works"

Moved to a new city and options were limited, ended up with Uverse. We signed up for a 12 month package, internet only, $55/month at 24 download, and they are evasive on the upload. Appears to be 2 mbps upload. Pretty disappointing after years on Comcast.

Install tech was competent and got everything up and running. There was an issue where somewhere in the process a login name was spelled wrong, took a couple weeks to resolve in the great grinding maw of AT&T.

Had to pay for equipment, had to pay for install (no self install option, despite the fact I am an IBEW LU 58 LE Installer/Tech -- I was like, "I AM A PROFESSIONAL", but alas, the website ignored my pleas).

It appears to bog down in the evenings and weekends, which is hilarious since it was always the selling point of the phone companies that they offered a direct connection and the cable company shared their hookups...evidently the cable co's didn't have their back end running on a bunch of dial up modems though.

I hate our bought and paid for American telecom infrastructure setup, no choices, no speed...ugh. It was like choosing between a free colonoscopy with 2 ingrown nail removals or a year long subscription to catheter insertion services with bonus blood draws every time. WHERE DO I SIGN UP?!?

member for 10.5 years, 2832 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jrstobbe82 See Profile

• Location: Oak Creek,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Everything... Internet speeds & picture quality"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Great value for a great service!"

Uverse has been great. I had it before at my last apt & had no issues, got it installed at my new apt. 2 months ago and it has been working great. My internet speeds are always in the tier I am paying for, I am able to stream online content & play online gaming without any issues. No complaints here, install was professional. And for some reason my hd picture seems sharper than what I was previously getting from twc. I have the u300 package with hd programming and 2 STB's(1 wireless). What I love is the fact that I can log into ATT's website or directly into my nvg589 RG and run diagnostic tests when ever I want. The price is fair, I'd rather pay a few extra bucks for a better product.

Comments:

Terrible

@104.15.50.x

Uverse

The absolute WORST customer service! You are promised one thing when you first get it then magically your promotions end before there supposed to and your bill raises an unreasonable amount. It took me 4 phone calls and I talked with 6 different people to get them to correct their mistake. I am extremely disappointed and wish I would have stayed with direct tv.

Review by CaliNine See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Customer service, and technical support"
Bad "High ping, internet doesn't drop just shows 30-47 mbps at times"
Overall "If you want reliable internet and good customer support, at&t."

Great customer service and technical support overall. Only issues I have is a high ping I had 10-14 ping with my previous provider now I have around 25-30 which to some is not a big deal but I mostly use my internet for gaming. Also my XboX One doesn't receive the full speeds which on speedtest it shows 47mbps I get about 20-30mbps with a 140 ping on previous provider I get around 20-30 ping and the full speeds I paid for. Both are connected through ethernet cable. Technician is coming today hopefully fixes the issue.

UPDATE: I decided to cancel the service they did offer me 1 year contract $47 for 45mbps but I don't want to be tied down to a contract.

member for 78 days, 116 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by SteelersFan See Profile

• Location: Rockwall,Rockwall,TX
Good "Faster than DSL; easy installation/configuration; great price"
Bad "Router Wireless b/g only"
Overall "Best price and deal for the area"

UPDATE (06/14): Running an ASUS RTN-66U as a bridge to the Motorla NVG589 (Uverse supplied). Followed the instructions on the AT&T message boards and everything seems to be working smoothly. Now on the best speed plan and getting about 47 Mbps down and 5 Mbps. Very little downtime on the network. Pleased with the results.

UPDATE (pre 2014): So for the past 4 months (from April to August) my UVerse Internet would go down periodically. I must have called AT&T support about 8 times and had a tech out at least four. The last technician did something the others didn't. He made sure I had a homerun going from my outside box to the wall with my router. Fortunately for me, I had a patch panel for my phone line in my master closet which made it easy for him to identify which specific line it was without needing to go into my attic. Once he hooked it up (about 10 minutes later), I was basically error free on the line. I also was able to upgrade my speed from 12Mbps down to now 24Mbps down.

It seems to be working good now albeit the other morning I woke up and had a connection issue again for about 2 minutes. Also, I have a Netgear b/g/n wireless router piggybacked to the 2Wire router and for some reason my older laptop has trouble maintaining a sync with the Netgear router now which it never did before. I worked around the problem by just activating both wireless routers, but did find that odd. Other than those two issues, service has been good. Speakeasy speed tests show maximum thoroughput and I was greatly impressed and appreciative of the service provided by the AT&T technician until the problem was solved.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Long time DSL user averaging about 3Mbps down. Decided to take the plunge and upgrade to U-Verse Internet and Voice. They were running a special for the Internet with about $12 off each month. Combined with Voice I was able to cut my Internet and phone bill in half for 4 times the Internet speed and many more voice options.

I opted for the self-install which basically is AT&T mailing me out (it took two weeks) a 2Wire 3600hgv router/modem, some cables and a fairly large (and expensive looking) power back-up device. The back-up device is intended to support my Voice services if the power ever fails, but it looks big and powerful enough to probably maintain power to the router for a limited time. I was saddened when I discovered the 2Wire didn't have wireless "n" as I just purchased a Netgear router/modem which gave me that functionality. After some research, I later decided to set-up the Netgear as a WAP to maintain my "n" speed behind the 2Wire router. Works good albeit I lose a lot of the Netgear router options.

On the day of install, I received a call from an local AT&T technician who said everything was hooked up and ready to go. I didn't even need to be home! That night I plugged in the 2Wire. The configuration was very similar to my DSL service with the exception that, because I now had Voice, I had to plug a phone (not DSL line) directly into the 3600 as well as the DSL line. I plugged my laptop directly into the 2Wire and went through the set-up.

The set-up was very detail oriented. Probably too much so as I have a pretty decent technical background. When I got to the part in the set-up where I was required to activate Voice, nothing worked. I had no dial tone on my phone. I called the support line and spoke to someone who went through the typical questions and finally informed me that my Voice activation date wasn't until the following day. I found this odd since all of my activation paperwork indicated that day as the activation date. I was a little disheartened because the technician wasn't 100% sure. Wouldn't you know it though, my Voice was up-and-running the following day.

In sum, I can't believe I waited this long to try U-Verse Internet. The speeds are about 4 times faster than what I was getting with DSL and with the exception of no built-in wireless "n", there really isn't much to complain about. The features that Voice gave me with the ability to check calls on the Internet and more make this a complete package that I would recommend.

member for 13.4 years, 1237 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Terry M

@165.207.0.x

u-verse junk

The U-verse system as a whole is junk. More down than in service. The third tear (BEST) service person could not fix it. More that twenty times they were called. They claimed the lines were falty. ATT lines same company, what a joke.

Review by jcar See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Fast speeds as advertised, reliable / stable"

I've always heard that AT&T's U-verse internet was horrible. I was biased I must admit against this service but am pleasantly surprised now that I have it. I just purchased a new home and due to the new neighborhood we don't have cable in the area so this is the only service I could get. The installer came out and even though it was about 150 degrees in my attic pulled CAT6 cable to my router location and the cable box connection. Once the service was up and running I immediately did a speed test online and got just about the same speed if not better than a cable modem. I initially had a 51 Mbps download and 6 upload. The stable numbers now are around 49 download and 6 upload so I am currently very happy.

Comments:

Marinla

@72.190.99.x

Installation

AT&T schedule my installation I stay in home waiting to find out that they had cancel the installation, didn't give a reason or who canceled, I am trying to have another date and they are no help. Really socks be on their hands and are unable to do anything I will look for another provider, AT&T lost my business.