AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by ruckusronn See Profile

• Location: West Hills,Los Angeles,CA
Good "no log-jams"

·DigitalPath
order install was painless and pretty fast only two days.Ended up buying a new router(had two of my own)but it's the price of doing business I guess. Had Time Warner got tired of the log-jams especially in the evenings. This is really nice, speed is where it's supposed to be,no bottle-necks at night. I NEVER got the speeds they advertized with Time Warner. Value for the money,...well spent!

Comments:

Review by ccureau See Profile

• Location: Saint Rose,Saint Charles,LA
Good "Native IPv6"
Bad "Coordinating the installation"

This review might be a little biased against AT&T...I've had more than my share of issues with the new AT&T both in business and personal environments. When BellSouth was here, at least I could be sure that the guys on the ground were knowledgeable about how to solve the issues. No such luck so far with AT&T. Take from that what you will.

On 3/14, we were approached by an AT&T salesman who was in the neighborhood. He told us that the trucks we had been seeing around were upgrading UVerse in the area. And, after speaking with him and looking over the channel lineup, we decided to give it a try. Currently we have no ISP and no TV provider, and the $70 off the normal price for 12 months helped. And, to ease my wariness, we have 30 days after installation to cancel.

We signed up on the evening of 3/14. The first shifty thing AT&T demanded was that my payment be drafted from my checking account. They don't want to send me a paper bill. This bothers me. The next problem was the bait-and-switch tactic of telling me there is a $49 activation fee AFTER I agree to get the service installed. Big red flag...but hey, this is AT&T...I expect this. Our install date is scheduled for 3/17 between 9am and 11am. I arrange to take the morning off from work.

Bright and early on 3/17, the line tech called to confirm the appointment at 9am. He actually came early and looked over the premises. He then drove down to the VRAD to connect the wiring. He came back after about 30 minutes and tested the NID -- no signal. He then climbed the pole and still couldn't get a signal. After another trip to the VRAD we finally got voltage on the line, but no signal. So he calls in a senior tech for assistance. He then calls his supervisor, who tells him that we need to reschedule the inside install so that they can finish troubleshooting the signal to the house. We decide that 3/18 at 9am would be fine, and I arrange to take another morning off from work.

On 3/18, I wait for the technician. No one comes out. I contact support to find out the status of the appointment. The nice person on the other end tells me that there was no appointment scheduled and that we need to schedule one. I tell her that someone was supposed to be here at 9am. That didn't seem to matter. Instead, she tells me that the earliest we can get the inside installation done is 3/21. I am not happy, but we schedule for 3/21 at 9am. I get a new appointment number, this one with an A at the end.

Later in the day we get a voice message saying that the outside conditions have been corrected and a tech came to the house, but no one was there. If they came, it was after I left for work. The voice mail also told us that we needed to reschedule the inside installation.

Still later in the day, I get an email from AT&T telling me that we need to schedule the appointment. I contact their support team again, and -- there's no appointment! I have scheduled a second time for 3/21 at 9am.

I'll update when I actually get the service installed.

UPDATE - 3/21/2014

I have to admit that I didn't have all of the information correct regarding the appointment above. There was a voice mail left by my original tech who said that he couldn't schedule the new installation time and that I would have to call to schedule a new one. I missed that part.

AT&T came out today and did the inside install as promised. I unfortunately couldn't take the morning off, so a neighbor sat there from 9am to 2pm while the techs did their thing. From what was reported to me, the TV came up quickly. The Internet, however, took hours to get completed. When I get home tonight I will run speed tests and start stability testing as I am not really given a lot of confidence at how long it took them to get the signal on these lines from the VRAD two streets away.

Comments:

EYESWIDE

@12.4.17.x

Its 1:14 EST March 21, 2014 Did they ever come hook you up?

Did they ever come hook you up?
ccureau

join:2002-12-28
Slidell, LA

Re: Its 1:14 EST March 21, 2014 Did they ever come hook you up?

They just left 10 minutes ago. About to post an update.

Review by Kiwi See Profile

• Location: USA/MidWest
Good "Realiable, very reasonable price for business class."
Bad "Slow 9meg with a service plan of 12meg. 8000 feet"
Overall "What counts is reliability and AT&T does deliver that."

Various reviews over the years and multiple ISP's since the advent of high speed 1200baud rate

Aristotle was hard to beat with 1G/1G, while Dallas and the crew were there, using Earthlink, which left us all holding an empty bag of zero's. Now using AT&T, which I have not had since comparing them and cable around 2000.

One thing about AT&T, they may be consistently slow, but they are reliable and many understand how important that is. Averaging around 9meg, with a service of 12meg -But, I'm a couple of miles from the sweet spot. It does get under my skin that less than 800 yards away is a Uverse sweet spot I can't have because the line runs the wrong way. Living in a historic district has it's downsides with any service; we are always LAST on any service update list, regardless of what it is.

I'm happy to have a solid connection though and will not complain about pricing for a business line at all, $40 a month is ridiculously low. I'm used to $80's + and cable was $200. I'm hoping AT&T upgrades the area so that I can also get TV and will be more than happy to pay for the service; I have never, ever been a grinch when it comes to paying for broadband, I use it more than anything else PC related -So, I'm willing to pay. I have now had service a full month.

After getting service, which was delayed due to the software mishap for a week, I'm fairly content, I know the line can handle a much better connection speed (Aristotle/Earthlink) but AT&T is slow [Years] to upgrade hardware.

If there is a con, it has to be contacting AT&T -It's entirely setup for cell phone wireless customers ONLY and is horrific to get past. However the results have been great in terms of results. AT&T will not leave you hanging without a service like Comcast will.

Cheers
***********
Update April 26th, 2013 Remains 100% reliable. Satisfied.
UPDATE Oct/Nov, 2013 Remains 100% reliable. Satisfied. Would still like full Uverse services (TV), however doubt that will ever happen.
***********
Pleased to continue with AT&T.

UPDATE 03/15/2014 ---Business line
I'm patient when treated well.
Mid January a tree limb dropped all lines to the house, all were fixed, but continued to have issues with Uverse internet.
As it happens AT&T are prompt and the tech team fast to reply and for that I'm grateful enough to hang in. I have had all sorts of tech visits since having the line replaced, cat5 inside, new modem, new ground and even a new drop --In spite of that on a 12meg line I was getting 1100 baud rate [.45] Fast forward to today. The strange thing was although there was a lot of noise the line gave 10/.900 for around 4 to 6 hours after a Tech left and then dropped dead again.

Allen (Roy) came out, it was pretty easy to see he was committed to resolving the problem and did! Now here is the catch, lines running from the box on the pole (street) had a boot spike through the middle (half way up the pole), the lines it seems touched enough with a wind to provide a connection (They really were broken in half) almost like working with WIFI 1/8 inch apart.
Nobody can tell me these lines can't take abuse. KUDO's to Allen.

AT&T continue to treat customers well with regard internet issues and in spite of this difficult to discern problem, still came through.

Comments:

brookeKrige

join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

Had SDSL at 1G/1G, on (what became) U-Verse lines?

Guess you meant 1Mbps/1Mbps; else it was FTTP or FTTC (very short copper length before fiber interface) not SDSL.

Recent variants of SDSL I believe don't exceed 5/5Mbps even when using two pairs.

Review by lonnyb See Profile

• Location: Dayton,Montgomery,OH
Good "Access to four tuners, wireless commo between boxes"
Bad "Only one aspect at a time seems to have good access to Internet."
Overall "I'm mostly happy. But I had to go back to TWC."

This is a new install so I am still getting used to its features. What I mean by "four tuners" is I can record 4 shows at the same time. Or, I can record 3 shows and watch another with no problem. Both boxes in my house share the same DVR pool; this means I can watch a recorded show on either TV. My second box is wireless; so, for some insane reason, if I want to watch TV in my back yard, no problem, I may with no communication wire. Another nice feature, these boxes allow your TV to have limited access to the Internet.

The package I got (U-300) comes with a wireless router. All equipment seemed to be new from the manufacturer.

The telephone service works as well as I had expected.

I have noticed a vast reduction in bandwidth unless I am the ONLY user in my network. That includes all TV's, boxes and computers. There seems to be a bit of competition. There is, however, no competition with other users outside of my network, so the time of day does not matter.

That is all I have for now.

********************************************************************************************

I had to disconnect from AT&T Uverse!! All services would shut off many days at about 0930 or so and reconnect at 1800. (This was very irritating during tax preparation time.) We decided it was a "vampire" connection. I kept calling customer service and technicians would work for a while and assure me that the problem was resolved. I think this process might have happened for 5 or so repetitions. On the last scheduled visit, I scheduled a visit for one day and the technician did not show. I called customer service to be informed that I had the wrong day. I scheduled no other visits and decided to stop service and go back to Time Warner Cable. I don't like TWC's technology as well, but at least they are reliable.

member for 10.2 years, 2991 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

doggy

@charter.com

AT&T DSL or any internet-related product sucks as hell

I have ordered u-verse internet and the person on the service line said it was available in two hours. however, it didnt work out and i had to call them back after 4 hours and talked to for mre than an hour.
at the end, what they say was that they do not know why someone said it was available in 2 hours. the fastest day to activate was about a week after. also, they wanted me to call back next day to spend my private time again.
AT&T sucks and they should go to hell.
Customer service is worse than dog crab.people speaking on the phones are not eduated well as employees and dont even know whtat they are doing.
If i have a chance to go back to time when i first talked for the activation, i would rather go to the public library and use the internet.
AT&T internet is such a garbage in many different ways such as customer services and etc.

Review by golfnow See Profile

• Location: Knoxville,Knox,TN
Good "Everything woks great"
Bad "n/a"
Overall "Excellent service."

Have U-verse internet !8mbps, Television, home phone and cell phone. Each service is very good. Every hooked up with no problems.

Still well satisfied with service. Internet now ay !8. No slowdowns. Price still the same.

Service has been great Up all the time.

member for 1.6 years, 249 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Shocked

So Shocked

$235 a month for 8MBPS!?!?!?! Where do you live?!?!?

Paying $120 for 42MBPS, TV, and Phone service, and I thought I was overpaying!

oneoone

join:2010-01-20
Lagrange, GA

Re: So Shocked

if you read he has all 3 services plus cell phones (no telling how many he has, I would guess 2).

Catguy

AT&T

Be extremely careful signing up for AT&T U Verse Internet service by phone. I was assured over and over the $49 activation fee would be waived and there was no other start-up fees. I got my first bill, which I had been assured would be $19.95 plus a prorated amount of about $7, and there was the $49 activation fee plus another $108 in start-up fees. AT&T phone sales people will tell you anything to get you to sign on. They are trained liars.

not worth it

@172.56.31.x

don't get attuverse

Service is alright not gonna lie, but they put extra charges on my bill every month. So every month we have to be calling for them to fix it they said that we owe a modem. We send it in and apparently they never got it so there still charging us $100. Not really worth getting if you have to be calling every month

Review by tabernak See Profile

• Location: Lucedale,George,MS
Good "Reliable, good latency, great speed for rural location"
Bad "Upstream speeds"
Overall "As a rural customer, I can't complain"

·AT&T DSL Service
I have U-verse High Speed Internet Max Plus for $63 not including discounts (although the 1st year I do get $11 off). That gets me an advertised 18 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up, the maximum offered at my location. Recently they seem to have increased the upstream to 2 Mbps and they've always over provisioned on the downstream since I got service in December of 2013. I regularly test at about 20 Mbps down and 1.8 Mbps up, which is quite good. My latency is ~40 ms to Dallas and then 60+ ms elsewhere. Plenty of gaming servers in Dallas, so that's no issue, although that's far from the closest city to me.

Service is pair bonded VDSL2 on a NVG589. Over the last 3 months I've only had 3 brief disconnects while I was using the service and a few times I noticed my speeds were slow, although the slow speeds certainly could have been a wireless issue. Installation happened the day they planned and went well, I got a new NID and they installed the NVG589 about 20 feet away in my laundry room. Installer said his instruments read I was ~4100 feet from the VRAD, the other technician who was a local that came in the bucket truck to connect my second line for the pair bonding was surprised I could get U-verse at my location.

At&t U-verse is a national product and your mileage will vary wildly. It may be surprising how happy I am with my installation, but you have to consider I previously considered myself lucky to just have 6 Mbps DSL service as I live ~3 miles from a town of just 1000 people. There is no cable competition, yet At&t is providing me with a reliable broadband connection far above what's available in most rural areas.

The limited upstream will keep me from using some cloud services, but nothing that I will miss personally. Downstream is sufficient for everything currently and should be for a few years to come, at this speed the only thing limited is the speed of downloads. Hopefully by then they'll be getting around to upgrading my area with the 17a profiles or vectoring.

member for 249 days, 115 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ramsaso

join:2014-01-04
Houston, TX

What about other providers?

Such as DSLExtreme or any CLEC comapny?
tabernak

join:2013-08-10
·AT&T DSL Service

Re: What about other providers?

I've searched before and have never been able to find any CLECs here on the Mississippi gulf coast. Prior to moving to this house last year I researched my alternatives in case the DSL here was atrocious, my choices would have been Millenicom (Verizon MVNO w/ 20 GB cap) or potentially a WISP (they had a terrible website and I never investigated further). Even the 6 Mb DSL I had prior to this beat those alternatives as it delivered the advertised speeds.

So long as they continue to provide my current speeds and quality I'm not currently worried about shopping around. Perhaps in a few years it could be a concern if they haven't implemented any upgrades to boost the speeds.

Review by jrs8084 See Profile

• Location: Statesville,Iredell,NC
Good "Solid Connection"
Bad "Power Flickers, Gateway has to reset-lose everything"
Overall "I am glad I upgraded from BellSouth DSL"

Price is for Triple play, U300 and 18 Mb package. Everything works well, but I am also 500 feet from the VRAD.

Installer was good and took the time to install things as I like (with Gateway in the basement). He even hard wired cat5 to my office so I can use my router versus the included one.

My line is provisioned for 18 Mb/s, but I am pulling 30 (??) Tech didn't appear to think it was a provisioning issue, but more "sometimes you get more, sometimes you get less"

member for 12.1 years, 5240 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Wily_One See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Solid connection overall, good service for the few times there have been issues."
Bad "Need more HD streams supported. TV remote is annoying."

I was an early adopter, getting U-verse back in 2008.
In the very beginning TV was glitchy, but since then those issues have been worked out.

Internet has been rock solid. Over the years there have been a couple of times when the connection was dropping. Tech Support found the issues (on their end) and rectified quickly.

UPDATE:
As of Feb 2014, AT&T has increased speeds for several tiers:
»Re: Max Turbo Upload Bumped to 5 Mbps? STARTED TONIGHT!

member for 11.4 years, 4587 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Abused

Customer Abuse

Run, don't walk, from AT&T Uverse. Based on my Extensive, Extensive experience with AT&T Uverse, no will be able to get thru to customer service for any issue. Yes, the service works well, but at what costs? If you feel like carving out 30 hours on the phone, having an area manager chew you out, multiple trips to a corporate store, placed on hold, transferred to wrong numbers, given incorrect contact numbers, incorrect answers to speciic questions, ect., ect., ect., then sign up. I would pay $200 to NOT to go thru the experience of contacting AT&T uverse. It is so bad that I believe it falls under Customer Abuse. I would love to have a VP, not a store manager, customer service manager contact me. My email is kadyco123@yahoo.com On a scale of 1 to 100, the training given by AT&T is a zero. Yes, zero point zero. It's a disgrace really? I cannot express completely the frustration trying to battle like a medieval warrior and overcome hoardes of misinformation, an incompetent web site, and people AT&T has chosen NOT to properly equip with basic knowledge to servgice customers. Hey, I know what I'm talking about - more than 30 hours on the phone with AT&T Uverse trying to get simple questions answered. Don't believe me, call Uverse sales department and ask a salesperson, "What is the current Uverse promotion"? Then ask, "What are the comparable benefits of the three plans of AT&T Uverse?" Seriously, email me. Zero point Zero.

BrandiLB

-1 recommendation

Re: Customer Abuse

I completely agree. I also have one for you. We signed up with AT&T Uverse Internet on 9/13/2013. The tech came out to install everything on 9/16/13. I made sure to set us up on Auto Debit for payments and I'm not the best at monitoring, which leads into the next part. Last night around 7:00 PM CST our service was shut off. I tried to login to our online account to see what had happened (via my mobile hotspot with Verizon thank goodness) and we did not exist. I then spent the better part of an hour with Tech Support only for them to tell me that my account does not exist and call Sales Support in the morning (They're only open until 7:00 PM). Please keep in mind we have had service since 9/13 (3 months) and have received no emails stating our account was past due, or they needed a new card on file, etc. I get up and call Sales Support only to have them tell me the same thing - our account doesn't exist. They get a manager on the phone with me who is going to reactivate our account with a $100 advance. We essentially had not paid the bill in 3 months because our account didn't exist. I am absolutely fine with paying the $100 for that reason. Here's the kicker: We both work from home so as you can imagine internet connectivity is essential, of this I made AT&T aware. I was told that they would expedite the service to get it turned back on today. I called a few hours later to find out approximately when the service would be back on today and was informed that they couldn't do anything until Monday, this is Wednesday. I explained everything again and still no help. I ask you AT&T why in the world does a tech have to come out to my house to set me up when I was just set up 3 months and 5 days ago? You can certainly shut my service off with no warning remotely so why can't you reinstate it remotely. I'm with kadyco please email me and do tell at brandilb@gmail.com. This is a horrendous load of manure and explanation is due, especially since there was not a single person at AT&T who had dealt with this issue before and I seriously doubt there is any intention to fix it.
golfnow

join:2012-08-19
Knoxville, TN

1 recommendation

Re: Customer Abuse

Uverse is excellent. Have no problems reaching customer support.

Wily_One
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

"Abused", "BrandiLB",
hmmm, so I just said I've had GOOD customer service from AT&T, and you come along to tell me I "won't be able to get through." LOL.

The last issue I had the office of the president (of AT&T) was calling me to make sure I was taken care of. I got primo service; what you state is a lie.

You Anonymous posters need to go back to your Comcrap masters and report your failure.

Hey

@bhn.net

Re: Comcrap plants

What I just went through today with AT&T coaster service, I hope no one goes through! I only picked up the phone when I heard the representative start to yell at me pregnant wife! I heard him yelling from across the room! Then the battle went on for the next thirty minutes to try and cancel! Glad you were taken care of, but I will suggest people stay away!

deb127

Re: Comcrap plants

I have spent hours today trying to get my DSL turned back on. I was going to change my internet and phone to u-verse. Couldn't install the internet change due to snow and not safe to put an extension ladder up to the house.

Told it would happen last nite after the system updated or by the end of business (9 pm) Then a calling saying by morning, this morning - no internet - after talking to 7 people, it finally got turned back on.

I will be canceling my u-verse rescheduled install and keeping things as is. I'll be canceling the install mainly because i don't want digital landline phone service.

Jennifer P

@mycingular.net

Re: Customer Abuse

I agree. Horrible customer service. Issues are never resolved. Billing never correct. Have spent countless hours on the phone minth after month. Worth the extra $$ to go back to cox

AustinTX6543

AT&T Uverse

Thank you! The Internet is great! Hoping that you bring faster speeds to Del Valle,TX 78617 one day. They are advertising same price I pay for 45mbps for an even faster speed on TV. I am patiently awaiting. Thank you for you services AT&T. I play online gaming and MMO. Also downloads from iTunes. There are about Ten devices on my modems wifi/LAN. So you can see why I am waiting. I hope to get the faster speed advertised on TV at that price if possible. My connection is not coaxial it is a LAN based direct to my house. They just do not have the speed advertised on TV at my location, but you pay to receive and support them to create better services for other areas eventually. I also do not have a problem receiving customer support from them via live chat/phone. I think AT&T is an excellent service! Thank you.
martyp

join:2004-01-30
Vallejo, CA

AT&T Internet has been great

I have had AT&T for Internet since back in the day when DSL was 128mb. I now have uverse for phone and internet and it has been great.

I do have a problem with the wireless that developed late Friday night , but I am sure that I will get a new modem ordered on Monday .

I am using a net gear as a access point and using that for wireless and even when I get a new modem may want to keep it this way

Review by CmmTch See Profile

• Location: High Ridge,Jefferson,MO
Good "Ordered on 7-16 with DD of 7-20. On 7-20am it's in and works great."
Bad "Nothing bad"
Overall "Upgraded from Uverse VDSL Pro 3M to 18M. Very happy with the service"

I ordered Uverse HSI 3M Pro self install ($30 per mo, no term, employee) on Monday 7-16, internet only, not phone or TV. Was given due date of Fri 7-20, received the equipment on 7-18, a 2wire 3600HGV 4 port modem/router. The tech showed up at 10am, appointment time was 11a to 1p. He wired at the NID, had to go back to the SAI to fix cross connect from the PG to the VRAD for dial tone both services where up at 10:45am.

I asked him about the "do not connect your modem until 8:00pm on due date" verbiage in the Uverse documentation, he said your connection is up right now and you can set up the modem and register. I did that and used my existing ID to register and all is working great.

Also the tech put a VDSL2/POTS splitter on at the NID for me, I already had a CAT5 homerun for the computer.

5-19-2013 Have upgraded to 18M down (speedtest shows 17.2M down, 1.5M up »www.speedtest.net/index.php) very happy with the service. Also using the wireless from the 3600HGV for a laptop upstairs which is working great too.

2-23-14 All is still good, Uverse HSI working as advertised

Comments:

Review by SimiVoice See Profile

• Location: Simi Valley,Ventura,CA
Good "Pair bonding, rewards, Motorola NVG589, IPv6"
Bad "More expensive (without contract) than TWC, multiple techs to fix line issue"
Overall "Needs pair bonding and you're golden!"

My service install/changes are documented on this thread: »New Uverse User w/ Line Stats -- Advice From You?

Ordered U200 TV and 12Mbps Internet on the 19th of December. Got service professionally installed (without charge) on the 24th of December.

On install day, new CAT5e ran from drop to residential gateway. The old residential gateway was a 2Wire 3801 . . . It only has wireless-G speeds!? Ended up installing my own wireless-N router behind the 2Wire for decent WiFi.

TV is very clear and changes channels ridiculously fast. DVR box is much slower than the Dish Hopper (which we are comparing U-verse TV to). Internet speeds are very consistent and have not had any dropouts (»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3226754179).

About two weeks later, line statistics fall off a cliff. A splicing/lineman is dispatched the next morning after calling the problem in. He cleans, tests, and fixes the line, line stats are even better than original. He leaves a clean and tested second pair ready for a bonded pair install two days later.

On bonded pair install day, very friendly tech comes out and hooks up the second pair. I get an upgrade from the 2Wire 3801 to my current residential gateway, the Motorola NVG589. Line stats have since been exceptional and have not had any problems.

Overall = satisfied! Price is a little more than the comparable service/speed from the local cable company (Time Warner Cable), and there are initial problems getting the service to actually function properly/reliably, but stable connection overall and more than advertised speeds.

---------------------------

EDIT (2/4/2014)

Canceled U-verse TV, as the box is too slow for even basic functions such as opening up the on-screen menu. Dish Hopper still remains ridiculously fast, responsive, and more superior.

Also, I noticed that I got upgraded to the newest profile being offered to U-verse customers, the 55/6 profile. This upgrade has made me eligible to receive not only Max Turbo, but the new Power internet tier (45Mbps/6Mbps) as well. Pricewise, any U-verse service is usually more than competitors, but they do make up for the relatively expensive service with innovative features (such as the U-verse TV Wireless Receiver). See the attached picture in this review for my Power internet tier eligibility and pricing.

Still staying with U-verse Internet for the foreseeable future. We will see how it goes.

---------------------------

EDIT (2/20/2014)
It seems that AT&T increased the upload speeds on their Max (1.5Mbps >> 2.0 Mbps), Max Plus (1.5Mbps >> 2.0 Mbps), and Turbo (3Mbps >> 5 Mbps) plans. Thus, I can confirm that on my connection, I received the speed bump also (Max internet tier).