AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by jgibbon4 See Profile

• Location: Knoxville,Knox,TN
Good "Consistent internet speeds. Crystal Clear Picture"
Bad "Poor on-demand offerings"
Overall "More expensive than Xfinity in this neighborhood. I have had both. Prefer Uverse."

Ordered the U-300 package
The installation was professional and quick

Comments:

Review by ultimatebob See Profile

• Location: Clinton,Middlesex,CT
Good "It's reasonably priced, and they give you a reward card when you sign up"
Bad "Unreliable"
Overall "Almost bad enough to get me to switch back to Comcast. Almost."

I've had the UVerse U200 TV and "Turbo" Internet package for 2 months, and I've found that it's highly unreliable. The TV and DVR service randomly stops working, and their wireless gateway locks up and reboots itself every two weeks. Their tech support seems to be helpful with diagnosing these issues, but I'm not sure if this is going to change once Frontier Communications takes over their service in Connecticut starting next month.

On the bright side, the installer that I had was a pretty cool guy and they sent me $225 in reward cards after having the service for a month. That said, I might find myself crawling back to Comcast once my year contract is over.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

LunaAH

@66.87.102.x

Stay away... Bad installation ...

If you looking for internet service..think twice about getting...u-verse internet (contract).
I had about 34 days since they did the installation... A really bad installation.. Until now, no technician qualify has been fixed yet and guess what I did my
first payment"" yeyyy. Thanks att. for nothing.

I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

email them direct

If it helps I will throw it out there. They have a email address for unresolved or still poor sevice issues. The address is attcustomercare@att.com.
Thanks again folks- David.
PHDinCT

join:2014-09-17
Redding, CT

Re: email them direct...and they do NOTHING! except continue THROTTLING!

So tell me David....what does one do about AT&T U-Verse "throttling" customers' broadband signal trying to get them to trade up to a higher priced Plan?
I have contacted attcustomercare@att.com NUMEROUS times and they've sent techs out to my home-office, to merely switch routers or ck wiring, but they're always unreliable and drop-out internet signal is something that these techs just don't seem to be able to fix...mmmm, wonder why? NOT!

Review by weeksben1 See Profile

• Location: Clarkston,Oakland,MI
Good "Easy install, good picture"
Bad "A bit hard to find DMZ plus mode on RG. Some Pixelation when watching TV and doing large d/l at the same time."

I ordered the U200 triple play package. I had a bit of trouble finding the DMZ plus mode, so I could use my existing router with their residential gateway. I find that there is a some pixelation when I'm watching TV and downloading large files simultaneously. One other problem is that I can't easily archive shows off the DVR, like with TIvo. I can't get the STB remote to control my older TV. But other than those three minor issues, it works well. The installer showed up on time, took about 3-4 hours, (had to do some changes on the crossbox servicing my location). It works great.

member for 10.6 years, 2699 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Darknessfall See Profile

Good "TV features, uptime, and price"
Bad "Same service for 5 years :)."
Overall "Good product, but should upgrade their speeds"

How I'm installed:

All coax except for one TV by the gateway which has Ethernet while using the 2Wire 3801.

Equipment Review:

RG -The 3800 has been going strong for 4 years so far expect for the summer of 2010 when it decided to lose signal a lot but since then it hasn't dropped out once at all.I haven't gotten to use the ethernet for my computer since it was placed as close as possible to the NID so I mainly use wireless and it has been pretty decent while only having two bars. Pinging my gateway usually gives 1-2ms latency BUT sometimes our gateway may have a random wireless seizure every couple of months for a few days where your wireless becomes incredibly laggy but other than that it has been fine. The wireless performance is kind of poor on max speed though due to using wireless G still. I kind of wished they kept the modem/router separate since it makes it a little more annoying if you want to add a router ; ).

- Changed to 3801 model after posting this. Not much difference. -
- The 3801 seems to get really hot - 6/28/2013
- Would like to add that with my WNDA4100 adapter I now get full bars through a lot of walls on my gateway. Wireless G still makes it a little at this distance though.

STB(1x Motorola VIP1216/2x VIP1200s) - While I cannot comment on the recording feature since we barely use it they still are in good condition and well... work...
- Update: I seem to see random moments when all STBs in our home refuse to turn off with the physical power button on the STB. Usually clicking the "Menu" button on the STB fixes it.

Remote - All I can say that is it's very well laid out and doesn't feel too bulky.

TV:

SD - It's pretty decent. Clear on CRT and on a HDTV it can either be clear or maybe a little blurry depending on original format.

HD - Clear and soft edged. Some channels seem a little blurry at times though while others are great.

Audio - Clear and no drop outs.

Pixelization - I barely see any at all except for the rare moment it may randomly do it for less than a second after months.

On Demand - No comment since we barely use but movie buying was quick and easy. One thing I like to note is that the On Demand section is a little empty at times.
Note: Movie rentals last 2 days I believe.

Menu - Always fast and no lag but sometimes I find myself going through menu options that should of been closer to the start of it all.

Channels - We love the channel selection on U-verse that other companies such as Comcast do not have. There are usually two or so channels of the same channel in case you want to watch something else on that channel during a certain time.

Phone:

Quality - Decent

Caller ID on TV - We've always loved this feature and it hasn't had a glitch for us.
Caller ID on Phone - Works, sometimes. Usually get "Incoming call" on the phone.

Responsiveness - Good but when we first got the service we had dial problems that fixed themselves.

Internet:(No longer have internet service)

Latency - We usually get about 25ish with 1ms jitter.(Wireless)

Advertised vs real world - We are only on the 3 down/ 1 up plan and get about 3.1 down/ 1 up(Wireless)

Speeds - Decent for an average user.

Internet Consistency - Always on. Never went down when our power remained on.

Billing:

Errors - None

Problems - None

Price changes - Get yourself on a promo price .

Paying a bill: Fast

Old customer bonuses: Well... pretty poor. Most they give you is $5 off for a few months when you upgrade and such. They give out free previews of the other channels over major holidays though. $10 promo card to upgrade to paperless billing made me laugh a little though.

- Update: Got added onto promo pricing .

Support:

Opinion - We hadn't had much luck with support at all. First time the rep helped give us a temp solve that we would have to keep using at the time then another rep began to blame our computer and repeatedly ask us to buy something for $99 until we said we were hanging up(Turns out the whole issue was because of the cheap 2wire USB adapters we had). I also had good reps over live chat that seemed to be nice and answer my questions well. Like most companies you can either get the dumb or the great people. The wait time wasn't too bad but they like to swap you around to other people a lot. When we recently asked for new equipment there were no questions asked, quick and easy. We got our equipment the next business day.

Update: Got 3 free remotes. Declined offer for free wireless receiver upgrade.

Update: 6/28/2013
Service is still running good with no downtime. Line seemed to have dropped in quality VERY slightly. I get a couple thousand corrected blocks over time in my RG's error table. Random link retrains/ DSL Training errors on bootup.

I'm hoping we get the new RG in our area soon. Still no RG firmware update for our 2wire 3801 and Motorola STBs.
- Got the RG firmware update today - 6/29/2013

Was offered Max Turbo for $33 for 2 years but didn't take it at this time. Will look later to see if Comcast can offer me Blast for $34.99. Hopefully AT&T decides to speed up their upgrades.

Update: 11/27/2013

Still only U300 + Unlimited Home Phone

No real issues still. Dreading the annual price increases. The price has gone up by quite a bit since almost 5 years ago.

Line stats at the time of this update:
Downstream Upstream
Max User Rate 59785 kbs Not Available
Noise Margin 19.2 dB Not Available
Attenuation 10.3 dB Not Available
Output Power 14.3 dBm -21.2 dBm

Update: 2/17/14

Have U300(3 receivers) + Unlimited Home Phone + Max Turbo now

Got into another promotion and everything together totals $124. May downgrade to the 200 minute plan.

It's been 5 years now of having U-verse.
Update: 7/28/14

I recently upgraded our broken VIP1200 to an ISB7005 which is must faster. I also downgraded from Max Turbo to Max Plus(getting 23/2). We also downgraded to the 200 minute plan a few months ago. My bill is now $109.

Line stats at the time of the update:

Down/ Up
Max User Rate 60168 kbs Not Available
Noise Margin 19.4 dB Not Available
Attenuation 10.8 dB Not Available
Output Power 14.2 dBm -20.7 dBm
Update: 8/30/14

Since the last review we replaced our second VIP1200 with a ISB7005 and our VIP1225 with a VIP2250.

member for 2.1 years, 1163 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Darknessfall
join:2012-08-17

Update - Data Collected for 15 Hours

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
·magicjack.com

Re: Update - Data Collected for 15 Hours

Good review. Detailed and a good read. My only confusion is why the screenshot with only 15hrs of time? It'd be more helpful with about a week of data collected.
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.

Darknessfall
join:2012-08-17

Re: Update - Data Collected for 15 Hours

said by ImpldConsent:

I just reset my gateway then decided to post it so it was too late . I'll probably post another error table soon to replace it. Still looks the same at the time of this post.

Review by CUBS_FAN See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Having a designated line with solid and steady latency is sight for sore eyes after using Comcast for the past 10 years"
Bad "Nothing yet. Only negative is that my package is rated at 24Mbps download and speed test's show 21 to 22 best. No biggie"
Overall "Smooth connection even while streaming Netflix on the iPad and using 2 wireless connected laptops "

·magicjack.com
·Vonage
Amazing that I placed the order early Friday morning (10/4/2013) at around 1am and had an install date of the next day Saturday morning. Install went smooth and the tech found some "bridging" issue on the line limiting my upload speeds. The installer placed a call to have it fixed. By the time he finished the install the other guy arrived to fix the bridging issue. My upload speeds average at round 2.90Mbps. That's almost exactly what's advertised. 12 month intro at $11.05 off @ 54.95 and $66 thereafter.

8/28/14 - About 10 months later (time fly's so fast) and not experiencing any issues. After 2 months I upgraded to the 45/5 power package and can even get impressive speed tests while connected via WiFi.

Comments:

dallas ebest

@75.1.100.x

double billing

Feb. a year ago my router died. I called to get a new one and was told that me old one was a relic of by gone days and no longer serviced .. had to go the newer verse route I was told it would be less expensive .. first bill arrived about triple of what the old bill was( No note that I was billed for new equipment) second bill arrived -- same thing I called your hot line and was told the problem would be corrected it was never corrected ,, according to my figures you owe me about $700 in overcharges . I have written and phoned but nothing has taken place. I called and cancelled my internet and phone. and told the person I talked to that AT&T could take their bill and service and shove it where the sunshine would never see it again . I have no intention of paying your(Obama type of billing)

Review by CmmTch See Profile

• Location: High Ridge,Jefferson,MO
Good "Ordered on 7-16-12 with DD of 7-20. On 7-20 am it's in and works great."
Bad "Nothing bad"
Overall "Upgraded from Uverse VDSL Pro 3M to 18M. Very happy with the service"

I ordered Uverse HSI 3M Pro self install ($30 per mo, no term, employee) on Monday 7-16-12, internet only, not phone or TV. Was given due date of Fri 7-20-12, received the equipment on 7-18-12, a 2wire 3600HGV 4 port modem/router. The tech showed up at 10am, appointment time was 11a to 1p. He wired at the NID, had to go back to the SAI to fix cross connect from the PG to the VRAD for dial tone both services where up at 10:45am.

I asked him about the "do not connect your modem until 8:00pm on due date" verbiage in the Uverse documentation, he said your connection is up right now and you can set up the modem and register. I did that and used my existing ID to register and all is working great.

Also the tech put a VDSL2/POTS splitter on at the NID for me, I already had a CAT5 homerun for the computer.

8-24-2014 Have upgraded to 18M down (speedtest shows 21.9M down, 1.9M up »www.speedtest.net/index.php) very happy with the service. Also using the wireless from the 3600HGV for a laptop upstairs which is working great too.

member for 12.1 years, 1969 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by alanxenos See Profile

• Location: Winnetka,Cook,IL
Good "Decent price, better than DSL"
Bad "4 stream limit ATM"
Overall "Like comcast, but less painful on the rear end."

·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Broadband..
Upgraded from AT&T DSL, which for the past year has never exceeded 512Kbps down due to crappy wiring. Was visited by a att door-to-door guy around Halloween. Sold me on the U-Verse 300 channel + 18Mbps internet service. Has been installed since 11/07 and it runs great. The only issue is we have 4 receivers in the house, and there is a limit to 4 streams so if all tv's are on, we can't record something in the background. I'll give them a temporary pass, as a tech told me there would be a 6-stream upgrade within 6 months, and 8 within 12. Also, had some initial receiver issues, called at 10p on a Monday night and had a tech out with a new one at 6p on Tuesday. All in all, a good experience so far.

Update 8-19-2014 - No idea about where the whole 6/8 stream upgrade went. Still 4 streams, but the service is rock-solid.

Comments:

Anonjp

@spcsdns.net

AT&T sucks!

Where do I begin with this company. First off when requesting internet service i clearly stated that i wanted equipment sent to apt 139 and never recieved it. went looking for equipment and found it in front of apt 11 which was a model apt! After this Sent me a bill for almost $400 dollars in charges when I had already suspended my tv service with them two months prior and asked for Internet only. They then proceeded to suspend my service due to mistakes on their end and took over a month to revise my bill. Once bill was paid I requested Internet ONLY paid $100 deposit and all of a sudden there's a problem with finding a date for technician to come out. Horrible customer service! Reps set time and date to call back and never do. Tried making $100 deposit multiple times and they keep returning it to my card. Reps lie and say they left notes on account but when I call back they've magically disappeared. The last time I finally made payment and got date for technician to come out, come to find out they've accessed my bank account and have withdrawn over $800 which I did not authorize whatsoever.Called to speak to rep and was basically blown off and told that they had no knowledge of me calling in and my account number didn't exist. Called my bank and got my money back, terrible company and customer service will NEVER give this company my business again.

J mo

@172.10.73.x

Uverse sucks

I was promised faster internet when I called about Uverse I regret changing from my legacy DSL. The service people have to come to my house at least once a week. It cuts off all the time and buffers constantly. As soon as another service is available I am changing from Uverse. If you Havel DSL don't change it's a trick if they say you can go back to DSL if not satisfied

From the OC

@172.56.38.x

Re: Uverse sucks

I have legacy DSL, with DSLExtream and I am looking to switch. But I didn't want to fall into the Uverse poor service trap if Uverse had not improved from 5 years ago when my 85 year old mothers service was Slammed over to Uverse without her permission. I have been on conference calls with employees who drop off the call because Uverse froze on them.

It appears from your post "Uverse Sucks" would frustrate me if I joined a poor service. So I think I will just go with Megapath or someone other than Uverse.

DallasTxFam

@99.21.85.x

Att Uverse is TERRIBLE

I AGREE WITH J- MO 100%
ATT UVERSE HOME & BUSINESS SERVICE IS GARBAGE!!! I have both services and it CONSTANTLY GOES OUT, I'm in the process of switching providers as I type this. At my house I have gone whole weekends without service, and because I have a Bundle that means the WHOLE WEEKEND without internet & phone service! At the office we, the group of tenants in that office strip, were all Bamboozled into upgrading to Att Uverse and now we ALL experience the LOOONG EXTENDED Periods of NO SERVICE, which is crushing to a business. If you have great ATT service good for you but this is to warn future people. For MOST the service is TERRIBLE Google the customer reviews! I've posted on Neighborhood websites and the constant response back to me is "I know, this service is terrible I've just learned to accept it" and that's the problem u don't have to accept it, CANCELL THE SERVICE, THERE ARE OTHER SERVICE PROVIDERS OUT THERE!; maybe we should all switch back 2 smaller companies that still appreciate their customers b/c they know it's the consumer that keeps them in business unlike huge conglomerates WHO DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS. And tell others to do the same we can send Att Uverse and all companies a message... YOU WILL NOT MISTREAT YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS AND GET AWAY WITH IT! Don't just post negative reviews CANCEL SERVICE! We have to stop being lazy saying I don't want to bother with switching when u do that THEY WIN AND THE CONSUMER LOSES, BUT WE HAVE ALL THE POWER NOTHING IS MORE POWERFUL THAN THE DOLLAR/BUYING POWER!!!

oneoone

join:2010-01-20
Lagrange, GA

Re: Att Uverse is TERRIBLE

Stop trolling this guy's review. If you don't like the service write your own review.
Expand your moderator at work

apanapa78

@4.20.98.x

ATT is the worse company and they lie to you all the time

I always thinked that ATT was a good company but now everything is bad they lie to you with prices they treat you bad and they ignore you when you have problems. I have a plan with them for 1 week they give me a broken tables that I can even use but I paid $ 160. they open a new account for me without my authorization and they want me to pay again, this is a nightmare and I can't wake up. I had called ATT customer service 9 times in the past 2 weeks and nothing. I have the corporate number but they never answer either. ATT is a bad company and someone need to do something . I really hope that someone from ATT that cares about customer help me with all the issues I have

Review by moose See Profile

• Location: Indianapolis,Marion,IN
Good "Excellent service and value"
Bad "none"
Overall "Happy Camper!"

U450, 45 Mbps DL/6 Mbps UL

Comments:

Never again

@sbcglobal.net

They Suck!

Horrible customer service, don't show up for tech appointments, give you the run around about why service isn't functioning properly and have incompetent techs! Overall, I will never use them again and am thinking about switching my cell service now too just because the experience was so terrible. Btw, I was a customer for 2 years and they never were fully able to fix or identify the problem! Buyer beware!

texvpd

@sbcglobal.net

new search functionality

the new search came on line about a week ago. and it is very weak.
It takes way to long for an general search. and when it goes to on demanc it is now supper slow. the old interface was fine and we don't need the on demand search to look like netflicks but takes 4 times or more longer to load than netflix with no increase in user functionality

Kt

@myvzw.com

TERRIBLE.

I am currently writing this review from my 3G cell phone because our U-verse NEVER WORKS. DO NOT GET IT. For real. It's cheap but the frustration is not worth the money you save.

senta

@tmodns.net

new customer's nightmare

My ordeal started 4 days ago when i switched to them.....i still dont have service ..the first installer did a crappy job and gave me the wrong box he wasnt supposed to...on top of that he cut the comcast cable which i still have service on...they are not supposed to cut any cables without customer authorization. It took me 2 days and conuntless hours on the phone to get another technician out...he changed the box...and did some work outside ...the service was on for about an hour then the light on the box turned red and ever since i have no internet or tv....its the 4 day since the first installer came and still nothing and im a new customer....i have spent the majority of the last 4 days on hold trying to get someone who knows what they are doing with no luck.....this is the beginning of a nightmare...dont get their service they are horrible

I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

I can help

YOu can click on my name on the left or post in the direct forum listed on the main page of this site.

Thanks

Review by Trihexagonal See Profile

• Location: US
Good "Great deal, friendly and professional phone rep and tech support install"
Overall "AT&T continues to provide me good service after over 10 years on the job"

·AT&T Midwest
The promo ran out on the old deal I had with AT&T for DSL and phone service last month, and my monthly bill went up almost 50%, which I found unacceptable. I called Customer Retention to see if I could work something out, or I might have to switch to Charter.

The phone rep was very polite and helpful, and offered to bump me up from my old 6MBps DSL plan to U-verse at 18MBps, at the same price I had been paying for DSL HSI. My phone plan had also gone up and he stated everything would stay at the old rate with a 12 month contract, and he would give me an additional 200 free minutes long distance a month. Plus, he waived the $100 cost of the Motorola NVG510 router and the fee for the service tech call to install the new service.

The tech guy was very friendly and polite was well. He called to let me know he was getting ready to arrive and was very knowledgeable about what he was doing, although I set up my own voice service and logged onto the AT&T page to go through the steps to get online myself, and he just basically walked me through what I needed to do. The whole service call took less than 30 minutes and I was very happy with the way things went.

Comments:

Review by anderboy See Profile

• Location: Leander,Williamson,TX
Good "Fast and Reliable"
Bad "Install time"
Overall "Good for me"

Before I got U-verse I had AT&T ADSL service. It was fine for me, but they said I was required to pay for their basic phone service (I understand that isn't the case anymore...). U-verse on the other hand required me to sign up for the TV package. The multicast IP TV sounded cool to me, so I signed up and canceled the basic phone service in favor of VOIP (callcentric).

I ordered the 3Mbps and U200 service, but later my wife was told that we could have the 6Mbps internet for no additional charge so she upgraded it.

I educated myself about U-verse, and how it was copper to the home over VDSL. I prepared cat5 cabling for the TV locations and wrote notes to the installers on how I would have liked it done (I couldn't be home at the time, and only my wife was there). On install day I came home after they had been working for 2-3 hours already. They went the extra mile to cut my stupid bushes to get to the NID. But they didn't set up the network as I had expected. Instead of using the cat5 cable, then insisted on using all coax (who knows why?). I had pushed the coax cables up into the wall panel because I didn't think I would need them, so the installers were very confused. After I showed them where all the coax was, they quickly found which was connected at the NID, and which ran to the TV locations. Then they connected the TV boxes using HPNA and I had them connect the RG to my central switch to which my computers were already connected.

It was a strange install, because all they really had to do was plug in the phone wire, install the filter at the NID, and plug in some ethernet cables (like I had set it up).

In any case, it has been smooth sailing ever since. I get the promised 6Mbps bandwidth, and the ping-time is good enough to play the games I like. And my wife loves being able to record/watch 4 shows at once.

2/20/2009

My bill for last month went down... imagine that.

8/15/2014

We cancelled the TV portion long ago and kept the 6Mbps internet. It's been working fine except for one DNS problem that I remember, but it's not hard to use a 3rd party DNS.