AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by sfogliatelle See Profile

• Location: Baton Rouge,East Baton Rouge,LA
Good "30% less expensive than similar Cox bundle"
Bad "internet more than 30% slower than Cox; many issues with their HDTV "
Overall "if you're able to really & truly get their top tier fiber, it's worth considering"

·Cox HSI
My household went for the U-verse triple bundle: U-300 TV, U-verse Internet Max Plus and two phone lines. We also have HBO (free for the two years), Showtime, Starz, Encore, TMC, HD on three of the five boxes.

The 'main' box is a Motorola NVG589 Gateway. In my room is a Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) IPN330HD. Cat5 was run throughout the house up to the attic to all boxes. A Netgear switch box was installed next to the NVG589. The installer was accommodating to install a dual-outlet ethernet box so I could directly attach my Roku 3. The install literally took all day.

What surprised me most was the more than 30% savings (total for services less taxes & fees) the ultimate bill from AT&T was to have been over staying with Cox. In our case that translated to almost $800 a year. Price is to be honored for 24 months according to the rep, and the cancellation fee from Cox should be more than made up by rebate/promo Visa cards, courtesy of AT&T in a piggy-back referral system.

Our residential location is just a smidgen too far for FTTP so we're FTTN, which limits download speed and hence, streaming capabilities. I forget what specific technical tier AT&T call it, but we're definitely not getting the speeds we did while we were with Cox.

I've experienced a few episodes of buffering with Amazon Prime HD. It didn't last more than a few moments. By comparison, this hasn't happened with Netflix HD streaming. All things considered, the internet speed, while certainly not consistent, is more than adequate for my surfing/streaming habits.

I don't use the phones here so I can't honestly comment on the service. It *is* VOIP and no longer a hard wire land line though.

As for the TV, well, that's another story, and not a very personally pleasing one. There have been many times where the HD image has become pixelated and pauses. Very annoying. The remote has a tendency to become slow, lethargic and not responsive, also very annoying. These symptoms may be the result of our proximity to whatever-they-call-the-magic-junction box; I never did get down all the infrastructure lingo. What's even more annoying is that it appears to take user self-service to constantly remedy these issues. From what I've read on the U-verse forums The AT&T Powers That Be are well aware of these but have not as yet taken steps to alleviate them.

member for 12.6 years, 3588 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by RXDOC See Profile

• Location: Palatine,Cook,IL
Good "Quick time from order to install...solid speed...good price."
Bad "Location of Modem was not ideal...had to have a second visit for battery backup"
Overall "Happy with the product so far"

Had a professional install for both U-verse Voice and 24 MAX Pro (price waived). The installer was on time and came the day after my order was placed. He did a great job in checking all potential sites for the best possible connection. The modem had to go in a spot that was not ideal, but workable (MDU) for the best signal.

The speeds are as advertised and have been solid via WI-FI.

I have been very happy with the service and customer service thus far.

member for 12.8 years, 4640 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ortizdr See Profile

• Location: Euless,Tarrant,TX
Good "Steady as a rock connection!"
Bad "Took a lot of complaining to get them to acknowledge me being green"
Overall "Once you get them to actually start research, they usually pull through"

After having U-Verse ADSL2 for a year I noticed that some of our neighbors were on VDSL. The online database said only ADLS2. The normal tech support and sales channels did not help. I reached out to the social media team and Direct support here on the forums. After having them research my address it was determined I was green for VDSL. They scheduled a Saturday installation and came out within 3 days as they had to disconnect my ADSL2 line to put through the order. The onsite tech was AWESOME! He was professional and very helpful and insightful. He even went as far as to condition my second pair to my house in hopes I would get pair bonding in the future! I have had it for almost 6 months and it is solid. Never had a problem with it. I am in a newer neighborhood so our copper is newer, but I am extremely happy with our service and pricing. They discounted the modem and internet since I had to "go through the trouble" of ordering. I am just happy it works!!

member for 1 year, 310 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by WaukMan See Profile

• Location: Waukesha,Waukesha,WI
Good "The site tech"
Bad "The sales group"
Overall "Will stay with ATT/Uverse"

This is long and involved review due to problems with the original order. I am coming from DSL and POTS service. I had two POTS lines and moved one to MagicJack. I called ATT to make sure there was nothing blocking the port out and the person on the line convinced me to place an order that day. I was told I could cancel or modify the order as needed. My main concern was to make sure that one of my numbers was ported out BEFORE the move to Uverse. I selected a date several weeks out to give me time to adjust as needed.

The port happened a few days later and I called to reschedule. I was told I couldn't. No one could explain why. During that call I also discovered that the order was all goofed up. It seems my speed that I wanted was wrong, and the fact that I wanted to keep my old POTS number also was not captured. I was assured that the problem could be fixed. The individual was also able to give me a new install date.

I checked online with the uverse account number on order status. I now had two orders in the system. One with the old date and a new date. I called ATT back and after many hours on the phone I finally cancelled the entire deal. During this call I was told that the number port would not take place until the 2nd install date. The order, at least to me, was so screwed up that I had no idea what I was going to get OR when I was going to get it. Even the cancel of the order was not with out challenges. That took over 30 min and I even got hung up on during that call and no one ever called me back. I called ATT back and the next person I talked to indicated that both orders were canceled. I then asked to VERIFY that my current service wasn't going to be 'disconnected' by mistake as a result of all of this. They transferred me to someone in the DSL tech support group. I have to say that ATT owes a great deal to the staff at the chicago office. After ranting (and apologizing for yelling at the rep) the rep assured me that the port should happen at the same time as the move to UVerse. I placed a new order for UVerse.

A few days later I was called by ATT asking how my new uverse service was. Well, this was a result of the canceled order, not the 'real' order. I have to say ATT does have some issues.

Today, the real UVerse install happened. The tech was great. He arrived on time, was able to set me up in no time, was even able to determine that my location from the box was so close I should be able to go up higher on speeds than what ATT sales would allow. He also 'ported' the old POTS line number to UVerse in short order.

I think the tech support folk and the folks in the Chicago DSL office did a great job. The sales folks. Well they are not good at all.

I am very happy today. I have a 30M download speed today which is way higher then what I had with old DSL.

Comments:

Review by joeam See Profile

• Location: Saint Clair,Saint Clair,MI
Good "After not having decent HS internet for years, it is awesome! "
Bad "AT&T seems to have trouble keeping track of where they have service."
Overall "The technicians are great the service representatives are a different story."

I haven't been able to get any high speed internet here on Wadhams Road in St. Clair Township, Michigan for years. You just can't imagine the excitement I experienced when my neighbor informed me that AT&T was installing VRADS on BOTH corners of my block. Early this May He informed me that he had an installer coming out to give him service. He said I should call, so they could install service at my house at the same time. I did and herein lies the story.

Our houses are about 140 feet apart with the utility right-of-way running right up the property line between our lots. For two solid weeks AT&T denied they served my house. Even as they came out and laid a new cable (partially across my property!) and hooked up his service, they kept denying they serviced my address! He had service that day. I called, and I called, and I called and informed them of this and they vehemently stuck to the story that they did not service this area. I spoke to operators, I spoke to supervisors and was promised someone would check it out and call me back. NEVER HAPPENED, and no one ever called me back.

Oddly enough, about this time I received a letter in the mail from an Arizona AT&T center announcing service in this area, it was not the Texas center I had been calling (which is the number you get online). I called them. They listened to me but, once again, said service was not available in my area. And again I explained to the operator about my immediate neighbor having service, and she went to the supervisor. He listened to me and let her sign me up for a bundle. a few days later the technician showed up. It took two days and after a second visit by another technician, but finally I was all hooked up.

AT&T missed a lot opportunities in this instance and it costs them a lot of money. They had to come out here AGAIN and remark the gas and electric lines and bury another cable to my house.

That said, I got the U300 HDTV service with 18MB internet service with unlimited phone service, in my bundle. Every technician that came out here was outstanding. They were polite, knowledgeable and worked quickly. They arrived right when they said they would.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3579164424

Update 9/8/2014:

Our service was disconnected because they somehow had the wrong service address in their system. Because of this, I was almost charged for a new install. We went for a day without service. We were jerked around about getting our service restarted. After much complaining, it was taken care of. Still not happy about all the time I wasted trying to handle it, but if you can talk to the right person at AT&T, they will make things right eventually. Put my ratings back up.

join:2012-06-11

I experienced the same sort of issues !

Because they did not want to come out and put in a new line from the node to my NID they lost at least 2 years worth of business from me.

I called their customer service number ordered and paid for service in advance, and tried to have a ticket opened up so that the new line could be installed but at least several times those tickets were closed with no explanation or resolution, finally the new line was installed because I wrote a certified return receipt letter to their executive offices.
It was stunning how quickly they provided me with service and the previously uninterested rep from office of the president did her job correctly this time, before she was lazy and uninterested in solving my issue and actually was trying to get me to do all the leg work between departments. I think she was told ...get the job done or be fired.

Review by tperl See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Franklin,OH
Good "quick and easy install, schedule dvr on att.net"
Bad "rebate issues, cost of additional boxes, price increases"
Overall "worth it"

·WOW Internet and..
Found out Uverse was available so I signed up. Quick and easy install. Installer was very professional and knowledgeable. Signed up for U200 and 3mb. I did not get the rebate amount that was promised but they mailed me a visa gift card when I called to complain. Cable co here is Insight which has been filling my mailbox with offers almost daily. Standard 2wire modem and VIP1225 for Dvr. I have had the tv picture freeze up for a few seconds several times but not that big of a deal. (Blacklick 43004)

update 11/11/09
Everything still working fine but I am moving soon. I think uverse is available where I am moving but I am just going to cancel and turn in the equipment. Will set up install at new place at some point if available and update review.

update 4/27/10
Install was done at new place awhile ago. Everything basically same as before other than price increase. (New Albany 43054)

update 2/28/11
Just moved again and this time uverse is not available. Overall I was satisfied with the service we had although they just raised the price pretty significantly. We told them when we called to cancel that we were doing so because of the price increase.

update 7/2012
Moved into a temporary rental house and had a new install. Tech gave us a wireless receiver for our 2nd tv for no extra charge. Signed up for U300, don't recall internet speed but speedtest.net showing 10 mbps dl. Approx $100 per/mo for a 6 month promo with no contract. (Columbus 43209)

update 12/31/12
Just purchased a home (no more moving!) and had the previous service transferred. Tech came out and had to run a new drop from the pole while it was snowing. He did a great job with the crappy conditions he had to deal with, weather, bad house wiring etc. They extended my promo rate for another 6 months. (Columbus 43209)

update 11/9/13
Due to a large price increase we dropped uverse and switched to wow. They tried dropping me from u300 to u200 and lowering the internet speed and the retention rep still wanted $15 more per month and wanted me to agree to a 1 year contract. It seems the reps don't even try until you say the word "cancel". We did not have any issues with the service other than price increases.

update 9/10/14
My wife decided she hated wow and wanted to switch back. They were supposed to install on 8/29 but had to cancel due to outside wiring issues. Rescheduled for 9/6. Tech insisted on running new cat5 wiring from drop. Apparently the newest uverse router does not even support coax. Tech had trouble running wire where it was before so they placed router in a different room. Promo rate is supposed to be approx $104/mo for u300 and 18meg dl, not sure about upload.

Comments:

Review by mitchflorida See Profile

• Location: Deerfield Beach,Broward,FL
Good "I pay for 12 Mbps , get 15 Mbps"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "very reliable, no outages"

I pay $41 for 12 Mbps plus $75 for U-300 and HD

The Internet is very reliable, almost no downtime, though some DNS outages. They over-deliver on downloads 15 when I pay for 12 Mbps.

The TV service is a good bargain considering the $250 Visa Gift card and extended discounts.

They have many HD channels, though the Picture Quality of HD isn't as good as Dish or Directv. Also the receiver has only 500 gb storage, half of what it should be. Still I will stay with them at least one year and see who has the best deal after that.

Their customer service is the best out there, miles ahead of Dish or Comcast.

member for 10.4 years, 289 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by yzor See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Duval,FL
Good "new install took about 6 days from order."
Bad "upload speed really needs to hit at least half the download speed in this day."
Overall "so far so good. speed is a tad variable, not sure if i own modem or not"

NEW:

got new install today. the top 45 meg price uverse 1/5/2015 of 2 pairs Uverse, speed is 51meg and almost 6 up. Service man was on time and perfect. got a new NID again. LOL. I ran the cat 5 to old jack to save time and save the plants. new modem slow to flash and re-sync but hopefully that will not happen much. Latency is about the same.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/4035797964

Happy witht he speed, the cost is kind of high, plus I bet I have to pay for modem forever.

OLD:

I been happy so far with my upgrade from adsl to vdsl. Not sure if I get to own my modem or not, not one of the 2 techs that came out knew. They were late as usual but nothing new there they always late, I just hope the line is reliable as the ADSL was. Nothing to really complain about, other than they were late. I ran a cat 5e line for them to prevent them from stepping in the flower gardens. I still don't really understand why they had to have two installers come out, but I can sort of see why. I guess I had no way to get inside the nid box, to run a separate line. I can live with it. they did not warn me before they shut down the dslam, but reading others reviews I expected they would do what they did. All in all since I had just the uverse internet only install it only took about 1.5 hours, though I ran the cat 5 line for them ahead of time. I would have liked if they would have tried the cat 3 line that existed first but again i can live with it.

Time will tell but the interleaved VDSL seems slower latency wise, pings to wow servers are allot slower, there are allot more hops in between me and them now, and speed tests seem faster to Dallas than Atlanta, which is weird. because I live in Florida so go figure.

member for 12 years, 401 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Justin2016

@windstream.net

AT&T Customer My Self At School At The Moment

What kind of modem might you be using?

Review by trparky See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Works fine."
Bad "Nothing."
Overall "No issues in the year and a half that I've had service."

I've not had any issues with my uVerse that I've had for the last year and a half. Stable service, I even have 45 Mbps because I'm so close to the VRAD.

member for 14.6 years, 8741 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Dazarise See Profile

• Location: Modesto,Stanislaus,CA
Good "Always up and running"

Have had UVerse for 3 years now and it has been rock solid consistent.

member for 13.8 years, 874 visits, last login: a few hours ago