AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by alanxenos See Profile

• Location: Winnetka,Cook,IL
Good "Decent price, better than DSL"
Bad "4 stream limit ATM"
Overall "Like comcast, but less painful on the rear end."

·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Broadband..
Upgraded from AT&T DSL, which for the past year has never exceeded 512Kbps down due to crappy wiring. Was visited by a att door-to-door guy around Halloween. Sold me on the U-Verse 300 channel + 18Mbps internet service. Has been installed since 11/07 and it runs great. The only issue is we have 4 receivers in the house, and there is a limit to 4 streams so if all tv's are on, we can't record something in the background. I'll give them a temporary pass, as a tech told me there would be a 6-stream upgrade within 6 months, and 8 within 12. Also, had some initial receiver issues, called at 10p on a Monday night and had a tech out with a new one at 6p on Tuesday. All in all, a good experience so far.

Update 8-19-2014 - No idea about where the whole 6/8 stream upgrade went. Still 4 streams, but the service is rock-solid.

Comments:

Anonjp

@spcsdns.net

AT&T sucks!

Where do I begin with this company. First off when requesting internet service i clearly stated that i wanted equipment sent to apt 139 and never recieved it. went looking for equipment and found it in front of apt 11 which was a model apt! After this Sent me a bill for almost $400 dollars in charges when I had already suspended my tv service with them two months prior and asked for Internet only. They then proceeded to suspend my service due to mistakes on their end and took over a month to revise my bill. Once bill was paid I requested Internet ONLY paid $100 deposit and all of a sudden there's a problem with finding a date for technician to come out. Horrible customer service! Reps set time and date to call back and never do. Tried making $100 deposit multiple times and they keep returning it to my card. Reps lie and say they left notes on account but when I call back they've magically disappeared. The last time I finally made payment and got date for technician to come out, come to find out they've accessed my bank account and have withdrawn over $800 which I did not authorize whatsoever.Called to speak to rep and was basically blown off and told that they had no knowledge of me calling in and my account number didn't exist. Called my bank and got my money back, terrible company and customer service will NEVER give this company my business again.

J mo

@172.10.73.x

Uverse sucks

I was promised faster internet when I called about Uverse I regret changing from my legacy DSL. The service people have to come to my house at least once a week. It cuts off all the time and buffers constantly. As soon as another service is available I am changing from Uverse. If you Havel DSL don't change it's a trick if they say you can go back to DSL if not satisfied

DallasTxFam

@99.21.85.x

Att Uverse is TERRIBLE

I AGREE WITH J- MO 100%
ATT UVERSE HOME & BUSINESS SERVICE IS GARBAGE!!! I have both services and it CONSTANTLY GOES OUT, I'm in the process of switching providers as I type this. At my house I have gone whole weekends without service, and because I have a Bundle that means the WHOLE WEEKEND without internet & phone service! At the office we, the group of tenants in that office strip, were all Bamboozled into upgrading to Att Uverse and now we ALL experience the LOOONG EXTENDED Periods of NO SERVICE, which is crushing to a business. If you have great ATT service good for you but this is to warn future people. For MOST the service is TERRIBLE Google the customer reviews! I've posted on Neighborhood websites and the constant response back to me is "I know, this service is terrible I've just learned to accept it" and that's the problem u don't have to accept it, CANCELL THE SERVICE, THERE ARE OTHER SERVICE PROVIDERS OUT THERE!; maybe we should all switch back 2 smaller companies that still appreciate their customers b/c they know it's the consumer that keeps them in business unlike huge conglomerates WHO DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS. And tell others to do the same we can send Att Uverse and all companies a message... YOU WILL NOT MISTREAT YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS AND GET AWAY WITH IT! Don't just post negative reviews CANCEL SERVICE! We have to stop being lazy saying I don't want to bother with switching when u do that THEY WIN AND THE CONSUMER LOSES, BUT WE HAVE ALL THE POWER NOTHING IS MORE POWERFUL THAN THE DOLLAR/BUYING POWER!!!

Review by moose See Profile

• Location: Indianapolis,Marion,IN
Good "Excellent service and value"
Bad "none"
Overall "Happy Camper!"

U450, 45 Mbps DL/6 Mbps UL

Comments:

Never again

@sbcglobal.net

They Suck!

Horrible customer service, don't show up for tech appointments, give you the run around about why service isn't functioning properly and have incompetent techs! Overall, I will never use them again and am thinking about switching my cell service now too just because the experience was so terrible. Btw, I was a customer for 2 years and they never were fully able to fix or identify the problem! Buyer beware!

texvpd

@sbcglobal.net

new search functionality

the new search came on line about a week ago. and it is very weak.
It takes way to long for an general search. and when it goes to on demanc it is now supper slow. the old interface was fine and we don't need the on demand search to look like netflicks but takes 4 times or more longer to load than netflix with no increase in user functionality

Kt

@myvzw.com

TERRIBLE.

I am currently writing this review from my 3G cell phone because our U-verse NEVER WORKS. DO NOT GET IT. For real. It's cheap but the frustration is not worth the money you save.

senta

@tmodns.net

new customer's nightmare

My ordeal started 4 days ago when i switched to them.....i still dont have service ..the first installer did a crappy job and gave me the wrong box he wasnt supposed to...on top of that he cut the comcast cable which i still have service on...they are not supposed to cut any cables without customer authorization. It took me 2 days and conuntless hours on the phone to get another technician out...he changed the box...and did some work outside ...the service was on for about an hour then the light on the box turned red and ever since i have no internet or tv....its the 4 day since the first installer came and still nothing and im a new customer....i have spent the majority of the last 4 days on hold trying to get someone who knows what they are doing with no luck.....this is the beginning of a nightmare...dont get their service they are horrible

I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

I can help

YOu can click on my name on the left or post in the direct forum listed on the main page of this site.

Thanks

Review by snope See Profile

• Location: Merrillville,Lake,IN
Good "Somewhat Reliable Connection and Speed"
Bad "Ancient Technology in the Twenty-First Century (Where's mah fiber optikz!1)"
Overall "It's either Comcast or ATT. Thanks, Free Market!"

U-Verse Internet Elite
6 Mbps/768 kbps

Apparently, my download speed has gone down, significantly. I'm going to call and keep you posted.

I WAS on a year-long promotional deal of $30 a month that just expired. That is a MUCH more reasonable price for this slow service.

Comments:

Review by rolande See Profile

• Location: Prosper,Collin,TX
Good "Easy order. Easy install. No hassles. No surprises, yet. Performance is consistent and reliable."
Bad "My biggest gripe is the limited number of simultaneous video streams and the mediocre HD picture quality."
Overall "Majority of services just seem to work, so far, and I'm happy with the entire process from order to install to performance."

·ViaTalk
Power Tier Upgrade 45/6Meg 10/3/2013:

I placed my order to upgrade my existing 24Meg U-verse service to the Power Tier in late September of 2013, the day that ordering was made available at our location. It took just over a week for the service call to be scheduled ~9-10 days. \

The technician arrived and validated my existing install. He replaced my 2Wire 3801 residential gateway with the new Motorola NVG589 and got it provisioned and working on the existing single DSL pair that I had. He then went to the VRAD and patched the second F2 pair into a VDSL port. He came back to the pedestal and terminated that pair onto my feeder cable to my NID. He then went to my NID and ran a SELT test on the new pair. After the test was successfully complete, he terminated the second pair. We went inside to monitor the status of the NVG589 and verify it was working as expected. The 2nd pair would not negotiate. After about a half hour of tinkering with the router and the wiring, he went and called provisioning to double-check and confirm the details. He took the line apart and ran more tests. After about an hour and a half of further troubleshooting he decided to swap pairs at the pedestal and VRAD just in case. Same results. He was about out of ideas and then on a whim decided to replace the original button splice he installed in the NID. That fixed it. The button splice had not been a good connection.

So, I was a little annoyed that it took almost 4 hours to finish the install. TV, Voice, and Internet were all offline most of that time. If the original button splice had been clean, the install would have taken about 45 minutes total.

Service has been great since the upgrade. I can achieve download speeds right around 47Mbps and upload peaks around 5.8MBps. The NVG589 residential gateway has been more stable and has been simpler to configure than the 2Wire unit. The TV and Voice services work the same as expected. I have not noticed Video On Demand pauses since the upgrade, as I had seen previously but that could be purely coincidental. I regularly work from home and consume a fair amount of bandwidth on video calls and screen sharing and remote desktop apps, my wife regularly is recording 4 HD shows on the DVR simultaneously, and I have 2 kids who are becoming little bandwidth hogs watching video and non-stop sharing photos and video on Instagram. We also recently got NetFlix and have had a really good experience with it so far.

Service cost breakdown including taxes and fees:

U-verse TV U200 w/HD plus 4 add'l receivers - $148.05

High speed equip fee - $7

U-verse Voice Unlimited - $43.44

Voice Unlimited base - $35

Original U-verse order for TV/Voice/Internet with 18Meg service:

I have been a long time AT&T ADSL customer in both Chicago and Columbus Ohio. We moved to the northern suburbs of Dallas, Texas in June of 2012 and were eligible for U-Verse service. So, I placed the order online in anticipation of our move to a temporary apartment. The entire process was fairly simple and easy to navigate from start to finish. I did not consider any other providers, as I prefer to use DSL versus a Cable provider. If Verizon FiOS had been available, I likely would have opted for that given the exceptional price/performance ratio and available high bandwidth options. In my opinion, U-Verse was the best available option. AT&T has definitely far exceeded my expectations based on my past experiences.

The technician called ahead of time. He arrived 10-15 minutes earlier than his 9-11am window and completed all the outside wiring work first. It took about 3 hours total to install the main gateway, 2 TV boxes/DVR, phone and register for the Internet service. He didn't even have to ask, he automatically put booties on to avoid walking with his boots directly on the carpet. He was friendly and professional and efficiently knocked the work out.

I ordered the Triple Play service including Uverse U200 channel package ($89), the Internet Max Plus package at up to 18Mbps downstream and 1.5Mbps upstream ($59), and Voice Unlimited for phone ($35).

I have the 2Wire 3801HGV gateway with a Motorola VIP2250 as the DVR on the main TV in our living area and a Cisco ISB7005 as a wireless set top box in another bedroom. They include a Belkin battery backup unit for the main gateway for the phone service. There is also a small Cisco external Wireless Access Point attached.

The wireless signal is nice and strong and I ran a preliminary speed test to a local service provider. I got up to 16.81Mbps down and 1.45Mbps upstream. I'm seeing about 28 milliseconds of latency to the upstream gateway at at&t.

They offered discounts for all of the install fees because I ordered triple play. They also offered $350 of AT&T rewards that are provided on a promotional card they deliver in the mail after 30 days of service. It appears I also get 3 months of free HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and all of the On-Demand movie options for those channels as well. That will help pass the time in temp housing.

So, at this point, I have absolutely nothing to complain about. The order to install experience has been seamless and without issues. At this point, I am one happy camper.

We moved into our new house at the end of September 2012 and scheduled our U-Verse service to be moved from the temporary apartment we were in. I was amazed at how easy the process was. We brought the boxes we had with us. The tech showed up to do the install and everything just worked.

I had my first service outage several weeks ago. I was able to quickly isolate the problem outside as the gateway was unable to synch the DSL signal. A tech was dispatched that same day. The problem appeared to clear on its own about an hour and a half after I called. The tech still came out to test and was not able to identify the root cause. They blamed it on a firmware push to my router but I was able to confirm there has never been a firmware push to my router. So, it does cause me a little concern. Hopefully this is a rare transient event.

I recently decided to increase my Internet package from the 18Meg to 24Meg service mostly for the increased upstream capacity from 1.5Meg to 3Meg for video conferencing. I submitted the change to my account online and within 2 business days the updated profile was pushed to my router. I am now seeing 22.58Mbps downstream and 2.83Mbps upstream. I was even given a 6 month discount of $5 a month on the upgrade. I'm now paying $66/month for the Max Turbo service plus a $6/month equipment fee less the $5/month discount.

I experienced another problem this past week that caused unstable service. I had another Tech visit. They found a jumper pair in the NID was pinched and accidentally stripped bare. They re-terminated my home run in my wiring closet with a female RJ14 insert and replaced my RG which was acting strange. They ran tests on my line and found a significant number of FEC errors. It was isolated to the buried cable from my NID to the pedestal out front. So, they installed a new cable to be buried and resolved the errors on the line. Hopefully this was the last of our issues and things will be stable from here on out.

After replacing the feeder cable from my NID to the pedestal, I continued to experience outages every 2-4 weeks. I would reboot the 2Wire 3801 gateway and things would go back to "normal". This continued from February to July of 2013. I called in a trouble ticket every time it occurred. Finally, in July, after seemingly getting nowhere on the issue for months and swapping out every component on the line, the last tech who came out decided to have my line provisioned to a different port on the VRAD. They moved me from the older F series card in the VRAD to a newer K series card. All problems disappeared after that and my line stats improved dramatically.

member for 12.2 years, 4216 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Davy49

join:2007-04-10
Waxahachie, TX

1 recommendation

Your Review

Hi,
I really enjoyed reading every word of your review, I currently live in Jacksonville,FL, here I'm using Comcast. I'm moving to Waxahachie,Texas on 06-02, at the address of the home I'm moving to, my communication option's are limited. Charter Communications is in the process of performing a major upgrade in that area, so except for satellite tv service, I'm rather limited to U-verse @ that address. I've never had their service before, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm scheduled for installation on 06-03, I'm getting the U450 TV pkg., Power internet (45 Mbps download) and digital phone service. I'm hoping I'll be as satisfied as you.

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
·ViaTalk

Re: Your Review

Best of luck with the install. I've had a great experience with it and have been really happy with the TV service compared to Time Warner Cable and the legacy AT&T DSL service I had back in Ohio, before we moved here. You will likely be on a pair bonded VDSL2+ connection. That is essentially 2 physical copper pairs each with their own discrete VDSL connection that is then treated as a single virtual connection by the residential gateway at your house and the VRAD box you connect to upstream. Both copper pairs have to be fairly balanced for signal and noise. Because of the sensitivity around the VDSL connections, it is possible you can experience outside RF interference that can create intermittent issues.

Follow the U-verse forum here and post questions. You will find a ton of advice on how to ensure you obtain the most stable connection possible and if you do run into issues, how to quickly get to resolution whether it requires assistance from AT&T or you can fix it on your own. The good thing is with the pair bonded connection you will most likely get the new Motorola NVG589 router. It appears to have resolved many of the constant issues that used to be complained about here. It is much more stable than the 2Wire product. I've had it since October and it has been solid as a rock for me.
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/
Davy49

join:2007-04-10
Waxahachie, TX
Dear rolande,
Thanks for your reply, this morning while online..something told me to go to the AT&T Welcome site, and check the status of my order. When I did so...I thought I was going to have a heart attack, it stated my order had been cancelled ! So of course I called the toll free # and talked with a customer service rep., after giving them the need information..they found my order was still in their system, as was to be completed as scheduled. I surely hope everything works out with this..I guess the previous people that lived in the home had U-verse service, and when they moved out..didn't cancel their service properly.

Review by jrushing See Profile

• Location: Downers Grove,Du Page,IL
Good "installation was on time and well done"
Bad "nothing so far"
Overall "so far, so good"

in the course of talking with AT&T about a billing issue with our mobile phones, the service rep went into their spiel about U-verse. we listened and asked questions and were quoted a price of 143.00 for 24 mb internet, tv, and phone service. we've been with Comcast for a few years. started with the old AtHome service. have not been unhappy with Comcast in general other than the creeping rise in rates. AT&T offered to waive installation fee if we jumped ship. my main concern was with internet speed since i liked the 20 mb or so download speeds we were getting with Comcast. i was also told they don't have data caps which is not actually true. they have a 250 gb cap which is currently not being enforced. so we said, let's do it. installation was scheduled and they came out yesterday to install.

installer called 1/2 hour before promised time to let me know he was on the way. was a very pleasant individual. did all the outside work needed then came in to wire everything up. we have 5 televisions and he got them all connected and setup. helped me make sure internet was working fine. during set up of the tvs, i realized my wife had chosen the U-family pkg which does not include HD. the installer was able to change the service to the U-200 tier which includes HD. he checked the phone lines, cleaned up empty boxes and cables. he gave me his card and told me to call him if anything was wonky. i tried to give him a tip when he left but he politely refused.

all in all, i don't think the install could have gone any better.

7/13/14 things were great for the first day and half of day 2. then for no apparent reason televisions would lose signal and internet would drop. checked everything i could think of checking but it was still dropping. by Sunday it was intolerable so i called support and arranged for onsite visit. tech arrived on Monday morning and of course by then it had stabilized somewhat. he checked everything outside and said all looked good. as we were talking the service dropped. he looked at the line and saw massive bursts of noise. after checking inside connections he decided to swap out the modem. things were fine rest of the day but the drops started again in the evening. eventually got them to send a line tech out who determined there was a bridge tap on the line causing the interference. he terminated it and it's been rock solid since. i called billing and politely raised holy hell and they adjusted my bill to reflect the days with interrupted service.

member for 13.6 years, 1968 visits, last login: 1 days ago

Comments:

Smile4vball

@166.147.123.x

Wrong.

Go look on yelp for the real story.

ILpt4U
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL

FYI

U200 does not include HD -- HD is only included in the U450 package

Watch that your price paid may be about $25/month higher than the initial quote -- $15/month more for U200 over U-Family, and $10/month more for HD add on, not counting promotional considerations

jrushing
smart, sober, hostile

join:2000-12-14
Downers Grove, IL

Re: FYI

thanks for the heads up. will keep on an eye this.
tu ne cede malis...

Review by Trihexagonal See Profile

• Location: US
Good "Great deal, friendly and professional phone rep and tech support install"
Overall "AT&T continues to provide me good service after over 10 years on the job"

·AT&T Midwest
The promo ran out on the old deal I had with AT&T for DSL and phone service last month, and my monthly bill went up almost 50%, which I found unacceptable. I called Customer Retention to see if I could work something out, or I might have to switch to Charter.

The phone rep was very polite and helpful, and offered to bump me up from my old 6MBps DSL plan to U-verse at 18MBps, at the same price I had been paying for DSL HSI. My phone plan had also gone up and he stated everything would stay at the old rate with a 12 month contract, and he would give me an additional 200 free minutes long distance a month. Plus, he waived the $100 cost of the Motorola NVG510 router and the fee for the service tech call to install the new service.

The tech guy was very friendly and polite was well. He called to let me know he was getting ready to arrive and was very knowledgeable about what he was doing, although I set up my own voice service and logged onto the AT&T page to go through the steps to get online myself, and he just basically walked me through what I needed to do. The whole service call took less than 30 minutes and I was very happy with the way things went.

Comments:

Review by joeam See Profile

• Location: Saint Clair,Saint Clair,MI
Good "After not having decent HS internet for years, it is awesome!"
Bad "AT&T seems to have trouble keeping track of where they have service."
Overall "People at the company are great, but corporate intercommunication is terrible."

I haven't been able to get any high speed internet here on Wadhams Road in St. Clair Township, Michigan for years. You just can't imagine the excitement I experienced when my neighbor informed me that AT&T was installing VRADS on BOTH corners of my block. Early this May He informed me that he had an installer coming out to give him service. He said I should call, so they could install service at my house at the same time. I did and herein lies the story.

Our houses are about 140 feet apart with the utility right-of-way running right up the property line between our lots. For two solid weeks AT&T denied they served my house. Even as they came out and laid a new cable (partially across my property!) and hooked up his service, they kept denying they serviced my address! He had service that day. I called, and I called, and I called and informed them of this and they vehemently stuck to the story that they did not service this area. I spoke to operators, I spoke to supervisors and was promised someone would check it out and call me back. NEVER HAPPENED, no one ever called me back.

Oddly enough, about this time I received a letter in the mail from an Arizona AT&T center announcing service in this area, it was not the Texas center I had been calling (which is the number you get online). I called them. They listened to me but, once again, said service was not available in my area. And again I explained to the operator about my immediate neighbor having service, and she went to the supervisor. He listened to me and let her sign me up for a bundle. a few days later the technician showed up. It took two days and after a second visit by another technician, but finally I was all hooked up.

AT&T missed a lot opportunities in this instance and it costs them a lot of money. They now have to come out here AGAIN and remark the gas lines to bury another cable to my house.

That said, I got the U300 HDTV service with 18MB internet service with unlimited phone service, in my bundle. Every technician that came out here was outstanding. They were polite, knowledgeable and worked quickly. They arrived right when they said they would.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3579164424

join:2012-06-11

I experienced the same sort of issues !

Because they did not want to come out and put in a new line from the node to my NID they lost at least 2 years worth of business from me.

I called their customer service number ordered and paid for service in advance, and tried to have a ticket opened up so that the new line could be installed but at least several times those tickets were closed with no explanation or resolution, finally the new line was installed because I wrote a certified return receipt letter to their executive offices.
It was stunning how quickly they provided me with service and the previously uninterested rep from office of the president did her job correctly this time, before she was lazy and uninterested in solving my issue and actually was trying to get me to do all the leg work between departments. I think she was told ...get the job done or be fired.

Review by caseywor See Profile

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "In my past experience, set top box is responsive, channels change quickly."
Bad "Installation Coordination, in the past, tech support"
Overall "It seems that when you live somewhere with no other choice, they act accordingly"

·Charter
·Mediacom
8/15/2014

I am completely rewriting this review as I am now again becoming a U-Verse customer in a new location after a few years of not having the service. I am not live yet, due to AT&T now communicating with me as they should. I will add to this post as time goes on.

Packages: U350 and 18Mbps – included, and mandatory, in utilities from complex for $110, about $15 extra a month as I have ordered it - $10 Hi Def and $5 for 24Mbps

Installation:

So far, in my new location, the experience has been bad. I was scheduled for an installation today from 9:00 am – 11:00 am EDT in my new apartment I Orlando, FL. After they didn’t show up within appointment window, I called only to find out that my appointment had been cancelled due to an line tech finding a problem “on the outside’ on the previous day and telling dispatch to have me reschedule. The problem is that AT&T never called me to do so, so I was expecting an installation today that never occurred. I am rescheduled for next Saturday since I am starting a new job on Monday and can’t take off work to get this done during the week.

Updates to come once I am finally able to go live. I am kind of thinking it may be a bad thing to have moved into a complex that had U-Verse as its only choice. Will just have to spend a week using a Sprint MiFi air card and an antenna for TV.

member for 10.3 years, 709 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

NOWAY

@musc.edu

RE: FAILED INSTALL

I didn't even get the service installed. The saleswoman who stopped by our house a couple weeks ago painted a picture of complete home entertainment bliss, HD this and wireless that tremendous internet speeds, and a monthly savings to the amount of a dinner out every month. When the installer showed up and started unhooking my Directv my wife called me at work, I asked her why he was unhooking the Directv, as we were only trying ATT for 30 days I wanted to do a side by side comparison. She had him give me a call and oh boy was I informed, not only did he have to run new lines to all my tv's if I wanted to keep the Directv hooked up but there are only four channels coming in and only three of those would be HD at a time, this means if I'm recording one HD show, watching another in the living room only one more tv in the house could provide HD, and only one additional tv could even be watched and that would be in SD, really ? the sale woman failed to mention that. She also failed to mention the wireless receiver in the add was not even possible every room would have to have a home run back to the gateway, I certainly don't want more unsightly coax cables run through my house and out holes in the wall, considering the house has coax to every room already plus another line from the directv install. ATT failed miserably in their inaccurate sales pitch, At least the installer was honest enough to let us know we would never get the package we were sold in time for me to halt the install.

m320753aim

@charter.com

Re: RE: FAILED INSTALL

I've had nothing but problems from day 1. the girl who came to my home also said everything would be 10x better than Charter. on the install day against my wishes the tech cut every wire at the connector . he couldn't run his wires properly, he said his meter detected some kind of problems, so he drilled 7 holes in my exterior walls. i found that their present technology only permitted 4 TVs to be on at one time; 2 if someone was recording. talk to their expert team and got a box from UPS to send the equipment back. called 4 times about billing ? got a cardboard box with in 3 days. I got a call from Charter wanted me back. they hooked us up last week and everything is working 10x better than u-verse

Review by anderboy See Profile

• Location: Leander,Williamson,TX
Good "Fast and Reliable"
Bad "Install time"
Overall "Good for me"

Before I got U-verse I had AT&T ADSL service. It was fine for me, but they said I was required to pay for their basic phone service (I understand that isn't the case anymore...). U-verse on the other hand required me to sign up for the TV package. The multicast IP TV sounded cool to me, so I signed up and canceled the basic phone service in favor of VOIP (callcentric).

I ordered the 3Mbps and U200 service, but later my wife was told that we could have the 6Mbps internet for no additional charge so she upgraded it.

I educated myself about U-verse, and how it was copper to the home over VDSL. I prepared cat5 cabling for the TV locations and wrote notes to the installers on how I would have liked it done (I couldn't be home at the time, and only my wife was there). On install day I came home after they had been working for 2-3 hours already. They went the extra mile to cut my stupid bushes to get to the NID. But they didn't set up the network as I had expected. Instead of using the cat5 cable, then insisted on using all coax (who knows why?). I had pushed the coax cables up into the wall panel because I didn't think I would need them, so the installers were very confused. After I showed them where all the coax was, they quickly found which was connected at the NID, and which ran to the TV locations. Then they connected the TV boxes using HPNA and I had them connect the RG to my central switch to which my computers were already connected.

It was a strange install, because all they really had to do was plug in the phone wire, install the filter at the NID, and plug in some ethernet cables (like I had set it up).

In any case, it has been smooth sailing ever since. I get the promised 6Mbps bandwidth, and the ping-time is good enough to play the games I like. And my wife loves being able to record/watch 4 shows at once.

2/20/2009

My bill for last month went down... imagine that.

8/15/2014

We cancelled the TV portion long ago and kept the 6Mbps internet. It's been working fine except for one DNS problem that I remember, but it's not hard to use a 3rd party DNS.

Comments:

Review by ZeCanard See Profile

• Location: Euless,Tarrant,TX
Good "Fast, cheap and very stable"
Bad "Very slow to fix the one time I had an issue"
Overall "Awesome when it works, but thankfully extremely reliable"

I got lucky that I moved into my new house in January 2010 just when AT&T had a 999-month (lifetime) promotion for Max Plus at a fixed $40 per month. Around 2013 however, I’ve had the equipment rental fee tacked on to my bill, but it’s nothing compared to the base prince increases that I’ve been protected against (I believe this tier now costs $61/mo., but I’m still only paying $40).

Service has always been quite reliable, and my speeds very stable. I was getting a consistent 16/1.6 Mbps originally, slowly increasing until the speed bumps late last year, which originally took me up to 23/1.9 Mbps, then back down to 22/1.9 Mbps. Now it’s back up to 23/2 Mbps while my monthly cost hasn’t changed.

The installation itself was very painless. I had it scheduled for the day I moved in, and the tech worked while I was still driving my U-Haul back and forth. Since the house was already wired with coax for U-verse, everything went smoothly and he was done within an hour or two.

In 2011 I started having intermittent disconnection issues for a week and had a tech come to my house to investigate. He blamed it on my signal being too strong because I was too close to the node so he installed an attenuator. Of course since my disconnections were intermittent everything was fine when he left, and the problems started again within 15 minutes. The next tech came a few days later and threw his hands up in the air. After I told him about the attenuator he said he wasn’t surprised it didn’t resolve my issue. He said it might be the box outside my house that had defective wiring but that it was very unlikely, so he didn’t want to bother. Since he was out of ideas anyway I asked him to go outside and check. He was out there for half an hour. When he came back inside he said the wiring had degraded and he simply replaced everything to be safe. Everything was fixed from there on out. If I remember correctly he still said my signal was running too hot and he still attenuated it from the node, but I can’t remember for sure.

One word of warning about AT&T: I only very rarely have issues with my service, but in my experience whenever AT&T’s Internet service goes down, it goes down for the rest of the day/night. I had AT&T DSL for 6 years before switching to U-verse and I found this to be consistently the case. It pretty much never came back up that night if it died in the evening. I don’t know if they only sent techs out to fix issues in the morning, but you should keep this in mind if you opt for U-verse voice.

===============

08/13/2014: Internet started going down intermittently for 5-15 minutes at a time about every hour starting the evening of 08/12. Outages seemed to last longer and longer. Called around 2:30 p.m. on 08/13, was told by the IVR that the soonest AT&T could send a technician over was today (I was shocked) between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.

The technician arrived at 4:15 p.m. and checked the box outside my house (NID?). His tests indicated that the signal was very strong and clean, but that I might have a defective filter. I had previously had problems with the installation, which is as old as the house, so I wasn't too surprised. He replaced it, then unplugged the coax splitter (since I don't have any TVs) to make a direct connection from the line coming in to the RG. He ran some additional tests to make sure everything else was fine, and that was it. In total, he was over for about half an hour. He left me his direct phone number as well as his manager's in case my problem isn't addressed.

In the past I've been pretty jaded with AT&T's support, with technicians showing up long after the scheduled window, then needing 2 or 3 visits at least to fix my problems. If my disconnects are fixed, I'll be very impressed indeed.

Comments:

GLW

@108.67.76.x

-1 recommendation

AT&T U-Verse

I was enticed about 3 years ago to switch from High Speed DSL to U-Verse by a lower price and faster internet. Since then, I have lost phone service and internet at least every other month and sometimes twice a month. After spending 30-40 minutes on the phone with AT&T Tech Support, they do a reset and most of the time it comes right back live. About 5 times they have sent a technician to our home (which involves waiting for someone who has a 4 hour window to respond) and have pulled in new wires twice, changed modems 3 times, and found problems at the main panel 3/4 miles from our house. AT&T has given me a free month of service and reduced my rate to retain me as a customer. I have requested they replace my High Speed DSL, to which they tell me that once you have U-Verse, there is no going back even though they can't keep it running.
My advice to anyone considering AT&T U-Verse is save yourself the grief and stay with DSL. Also, unload any AT&T stock you own because AT&T reps tell me that eventually, U-Verse will be the only options their customers will have. This means AT&T is going to get slaughtered in the marketplace, because their U-Verse is a horribly un-reliable product that was apparently untested and unproven before putting it on the market. This is quite apparent as their technicians have replaced my equipment with newer versions since the equipment they installed 3 years ago is considered obsolete. Hence, the customer becomes the research and development guinea pig.

april

@172.56.10.x

att u verse

Its not all its suppose to be just changing your tv or room around you need a tech for that and it cost you 150.00 just to change your room around then the bill is high each month make no sense at all im leaving and getting comcast back

kelly

@172.56.10.x
When you sign up for package deal it suppose to be one payment each month no it dont each gets higher and higher comcast is a lot cheaper it do go higher and higher and for a tech to come out not 150.00 bye-bye att