Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by rdljr See Profile

• Location: Raleigh,Wake,NC
Good "Not Time Warner, great Price"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Get it now!"

I got the U-450 and Power internet package after Time Warner broke the Internet after the snow from Sunday to the next Tuesday. The tech was great even though the installation took 9 hrs. because the 2nd pair wouldn't come up. We got all the newest equipment and has been rock solid for over a year. It's the greatest service anyone can ask for.

member for 105 days, 8 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by AMDUSER See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "The service works"
Bad "Some line problems that extended the install time."
Overall "Well worth it, - saved $30 vs TWC per month!"

**************UPDATED:: Sept. 6,2013 *******************

Canceled At&t IP-DSL service in favor of TWC cable internet..

**************UPDATED:: September 3, 2013 **************

Well, the year promotion is up, and the bill went up to $83 and change.. and according I ported the phone number to a VZ Wireless based home phone service to reduce the bill by $40. [VZ Wireless has great coverage locally.. or I wouldn't have moved it over.] I inquired in At&t Direct forum about getting faster internet.. not possible.. the line is not capable of it, - short of pair bonding, which is not available locally.

The service was reliable during the year or so that I've had the internet from At&t.

.... On September 5th, I will be having TWC install cable 15 Meg internet and canceling the service from At&t. [If any faster than 6 Meg was available I would have stayed put.

.....

Currently, until Sept. 5th, I have naked DSL which will be canceled after the cable internet is installed.

**************New Service Established: August 20, 2012 **************

Today the install occurred for the U-Voice and UVerse HSI [IP-DSL based]. This install occured about 17 days after placing the order as the techs were booked until then.The services costs was about $20 for 6 Meg internet, and $34.95 for unlimited local/long distance/ caller id etc. phone..

Some notes about the install:

The technician arrived within the time frame specified when the order was placed. The first thing that was checked was how the house wiring was setup.. where the phone outlets were etc. There was a few problems due to how the wiring was mainly as a result of someone doing a half baked effort wiring it,as it was in a loop which made it a little harder to identify which pair was the main line serving my townhouse. After that was corrected, the tech went out to the Nid to check the ADSL signal, only to find there was none!.The tech went to the remote terminal and checked the signal- of course it was working at the RT.. The tech called another tech as it was determined there was some bridge-tap and some splices in the line. The other tech come out and they toned the line from my house back to the RT.. it was later determine there were other issues with the line so they switched the pair out to a different one and were able to detect a signal at the Nid. They said there was some bridge-tap on the line- but just wanted to get the services up and running. The equipment they supplied was a Motorola NVG 510 which provides both the phone and internet services.. [I disabled the wireless and simply connected the existing wireless router with DD-WRT - I had- which also has a download meter as there is a 250 Gig download limit before paying for an overage.

Overall, the service works, however, there were a few kinks that could have been resolved prior to the install- mainly that the line [that originally would have been used] didn't work, as there was splices and other problems with it.. could have been swapped out prior to the date of the install. [Simply put: the line could have been tested/ conditioned / and in this case the pair -swapped.] The line had not been in use since at least 2006 - at least that I know of. At the end there were 3 ATT techs working on it who worked to get the service up and running.

This complete install was from about 11 AM to about 3 - 4 PM... a very long install- and I didn't have the Uverse Tv service setup.

Comments:

Review by weeksben1 See Profile

• Location: Clarkston,Oakland,MI
Good "Easy install, good picture"
Bad "A bit hard to find DMZ plus mode on RG. Some Pixelation when watching TV and doing large d/l at the same time."

I ordered the U200 triple play package. I had a bit of trouble finding the DMZ plus mode, so I could use my existing router with their residential gateway. I find that there is a some pixelation when I'm watching TV and downloading large files simultaneously. One other problem is that I can't easily archive shows off the DVR, like with TIvo. I can't get the STB remote to control my older TV. But other than those three minor issues, it works well. The installer showed up on time, took about 3-4 hours, (had to do some changes on the crossbox servicing my location). It works great.

Comments:

Review by plissoa See Profile

• Location: Santa Clara,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Good bandwidth as long as it works"
Bad "If it does not work, customer service has no clue how to fix it"
Overall "If you are lucky to have reliable connection, it is a good choice. Otherwise it is a nightmare."

I have this service for 3.5 years. First, I had problems with hanging up NVG-510 residential gateway requiring hourly reboots. Fortunately, I found a way to hack it, to login via telnet and to map one of the LAN ports as a passthru for PPPoE. Being connected via this port, it works just like a plain modem. All other routing, WiFi, NAT and QoS functionality got disabled. It worked like a charm since that time for over three years. I never has to reboot it, the connection was stable and the bandwidth slightly exceeded the promised.

Than one day due to still unknown reason the service fell of a cliff. It started to randomly loose connection, to remain down for hours in endless reconnect loop and then to recover itself and to work flawlessly until next service disruption. Technical support is helpless. Service is down now? Ok, the technician can only visit you in two days. Obviously at that time the service already restores itself and the technician find absolutely no problems with the RG or the line. I tried it multiple time, no luck. Can you provide me with the equipment to run the tests when the service is down? No, we cannot do that. Can you temporarily provide me with an additional RG to exclude the RG malfunction factor? No, we can only replace the existing one and charge you for that. Can I schedule the appointment every day just in case of the service failure? Please don't. If you start calling us too frequently we will charge $100 for each visit. Obviously, this nightmare will never end with this attitude.

Personally I suspect AT&T DSLAM equipment either got overloaded by too many customer connections or buggy firmware was rolled out for that equipment. However I see no way to convince the technical support to check this equipment and my connection to this equipment.

Good buy, AT&T. I was your happy customer for three years, than suffered daily for three month. I cannot tolerate it any longer. I have no hope it can be fixed.

Comments:

David
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

call me curious

I am not understanding why you would use an NVG510 which is an IP based DSL modem for PPPoE? if PPPoE is what you need a att netgear 7550 or a pace 4111n would do the trick.

For uverse there is no PPPoE just the DHCP IP address you get from the IPDSLAM. no PPPoE needed. now if you had legacy DSL, then yes I would agree you would need a username/password for the PPPoE.
Thanks again folks- David.

Nixx

@att.net

Re: call me curious

I agree. If this was a nvg-510. There is no way to disable the qos, as this would affect the voip. You also would not be able to disable the nat, which is a common gripe on other threads.

·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
Actually, I discovered something about that disabling nat recently. You can do the IP pass through and get the IP address the modem gets right to the device and it doesn't affect the VoIP.

This was on the Arris version of the NVG510 if that helps.

Reason being is the 166.x.x.x address I had passed right through to my router and I was still able to make VoIP calls. Now granted I haven't done any extensive port testing but from what I see I think it works. It passed the public IP it got right to the WAN1 port of my router.
Thanks again folks- David.

Review by DLT See Profile

• Location: Oologah,Rogers,OK
Good "None"
Bad "Slower than my old DSL. Stalling while streaming video. Never stalled before on DSL"
Overall "Wish I could go back to DSL"

I understood that ATT was phasing our old DSL service. I saw an ad to upgrade to UVerse for less money $29.95/mo for 12 months versus $52/mo and the equipment fee was waived. Order process was quick but the equipment and Technician visit to my home took about 4 days. Equipment supplied is ARRIS NVG 510. I now have noticeably slower internet connection and streaming video stalls so bad that you cannot watch it. If I could go back to my old DSL I would, but I'm hoping that there is a solution to get faster speeds.

Comments:

dogshort

@sbcglobal.net

Slow speed

Have a few questions?

Ask how far are you away from the starting connection.

Ask for a 5168 or 5031 each of these work better.

See if they installed a cat5e line in your house if not you need to get an install done.

Anon

@frontier.com

Slower speeds

You still have DSL just not ADSL but ADSL+2.It may help if you request a bonded pair which can give you a significant difference.

Review by Nuckfuts See Profile

• Location: Joliet,Will,IL
Good "Total Home DVR, good internet speeds, wireless RG, service is always up, no downtime."
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Internet is always up and HD PQ has improved. Bigger HDD in DVR and new dvr is alot smaller and compact."

·DIRECTV
U-Verse was installed on 6/30/2008. U200 with HD and 6/1 internet. Kept the POTS line for awhile. Initially install was suppose to be on 6/3/2008. Prem tech came out then went to the VRAD only to come back and tell me it is not available yet even though they called me and said it was. Customer service was clueless. I was pissed. My brother-in-law is a CO Tech for AT&T. I immediately called him and he got a manager to call me with all the apologies and explanations as to why it is not up. Seems engineering and CS do not communicate so XBOX and VRAD were not wired yet, just the VRAD was active. So to start my first U-Verse experience was not so good. Just a note, if you ever have issues contact Tier 2 here, they are excellent at getting you taken care of. I will start with the TV first, then internet, and then VOIP which I just got last year. Also, 1000' from the VRAD and currently on the 32/5 profile with 1SD/3HD, 24/3 internet, and unlimited VOIP. Live in a newer subdivision with underground utilities and newer copper. My max sync in the RG is around 60,000.

1. IPTV - Just ordered DirecTV on 5/14/2011. I cannot stand watching U-verse over-compressed crappy HD PQ anymore. I refuse to pay for it and will be cancelling it on 5/21/11 when DirecTV is installed. I liked the whole home DVR but everyone is going with that now. I would not recommend U-verse HD to anyone. I am 900' feet from the VRAD and no line issues.

2. Internet- I am currently on the 18/1.5 package. I never had any problems with this service except an RG swap and new homerun last year and I am a loyal AT&T internet customer but that might change in the future due to the caps. I am a gamer and play mostly on Xbox LIVE and host full rooms with no issues and everyone loves the connection and to be honest I really did not get too much higher ping times when I switched. I had DSL prior which was 6/768 profile and my pings where normally on first hop 15-19ms. U-Verse first hops are around 19-28ms. I have had internet with AT&T since 2002 in the SBC days and started with the 384/128 package and never had issues, down times, etc. This is AT&T's strong point for me. My internet has always been excellent. It does also always help to have a family member keeping an on on my line all the time too!!!

3. VOIP - I had it activated in July of '09. On the unlimited plan for $33/month. Has been down twice for very short periods due to outages according to AT&T. It had alot of background noise at first but is pretty clear now. Works as intended and is cheaper than POTS. That is the plus for me. I do not use the phone too much but the wife has family down south so no more long distance bills!!! Overall I would say I am satisfied with the VOIP.

So in conclusion, I am pretty happy with my service and price. I am not a big fan of the heavily compressed HD and limited streams so if I had to rate U-verse out of 10 I would give it an 4. Why you say? Because of their HD feed, limited streams, only 1 DVR, and not up to par Tier 1 customer service and possible bandwidth caps. Thanks for stopping by.....

Update* Returned to U-Verse 11/8/14. Even though the sales people are still idiots and totally messed up the order and install date and after 3 weeks of phone calls and escalated emails to the office of the president of AT&T the install went well and my service works great. I am glad U-Verse finally put 500GD HDD in their DVR's and I like the new Pace DVR. The NVG589 gateway kinda sucks as I liked the 3800 better but the NVG was needed for pair-bond. I have U450 with 45/6 internet. Got a 2 year promo due to all their mistakes so I pay $135 plus tax per month. I must say at least in my area the HD picture has drastically improved and is just as good as Comcast. Still not up to par with DirecTV but it will do. Overall, so far I am satisfied.

Comments:

Review by Chris 313 See Profile

• Location: Houma,Terrebonne,LA
Good "Every channel I had from my Comcast TV service for at least 30 bucks less."
Bad "Less then stellar TV bitrates, limited HSI speeds vs cable. Very Frustrating pre-setup. Dated 4 tuner DVR, limited HDD space"
Overall "AT&T U-Verse TV service was the best bang for my buck! Interesting alternative over Comcast"

·Vonage
·Comcast Digital ..
I’ve been thinking about getting U-Verse for a while at least for TV since Comcast has been failing me in features, DVR hard drive size, and the big one: Price. My triple Play package will be going up by 30 bucks once the deal is over. Their DVR is too small, limiting the amount of recording I could save and limiting the number of shows I could record at one time. As of yesterday 12/9/10, I went to the mall and to the AT&T store to get U-Verse TV set up. There began a very frustrating pre-set up. I got a woman named Lena. They had complaints about my ID and several false starts ensued until they decided they could use my ID. I was fed bunk about not being able to get TV service only and had to bundle it with Internet too.

I called her on it, as if you look online, you can get a package with TV only. Though I was kind of tempted to get 24/3 U-Verse internet since Comcast hasn’t upgraded me yet and I’m still at 8/2. I still hate to be talked into things that I don’t want at the time. Next thing that almost had me walking out was my being told that to even get service, I had to do Autopay for 6 months and if I wouldn’t that, she couldn’t set me up. (I’m still awaiting confirmation on that since those saleswomen already lied to me once about a channel I wanted added to my package.) I refused at first, but relented as I didn’t want to waste everything I did to get service started up until that point. But I was not happy in the slightest. I got 95% of everything I wanted channel wise in the package I chose, U-450. I wanted Anime Network On Demand added to my package. They looked at me funny and insisted it was part of my package and couldn’t or wouldn’t look further for it, though it’s possible in my frustration, I might’ve mis-explained it, and I really should’ve wrote it down. Another add-on I wanted was said to be included in my package, but I don’t think so. I’m still on the fence about it anyway and could do without it and save my 5 bucks. No matter as you’ll read below.

After getting things set up, choice of install dates came up and as I wanted to get rid of Comcast TV as soon as possible. Going from my friend’s U-Verse install, I was expecting at least a week delay. Instead, I got an install date for 12/10/10 for between 1-3 pm. I was shocked and happy. Still, I left angry since I had a feeling things were going to go wrong. I came home, looked up the Anime Network On Demand channel and it wasn’t a part of my package like they had insisted. I talked to a Tier 2 tech named, Matt. He got me squared away and did what he could to help me get that forced Autopay situation handled.

Lovely tech support and my pre-set up with U-Verse would’ve went much smoother and faster if he had been behind the counter and talking to me face to face.

That brings us to today.

12/10/10

I was awakened by a phone call at 8:33 am from the outside tech, Barry. He said he’d be there in 15 minutes. He showed up, replaced my NID and some wiring and was getting in his truck and driving off by 9:40 am. The first part of the install went swimmingly and I was happy. Now all that was left was to wait a few hours for the tech that was going to come do my inside work. 10 minutes after Barry left, I got another call from the 2nd tech, JB. He asked me if he could come do the install earlier then my appointment time window. I told him come on down! I was thrilled. He told me he’d be there in about an hour. He arrived at 10:43 am, introduced himself and got to looking at my set up. I was planning on reusing the cable my Comcast TV service was on if it was possible. He went and traced the wires and tested the signal and things were fine. I was also told that I was 1,054 feet from the VRAD and on the 32/5 profile. The best there is, or so I was told. A little wiring work later, he went back to his truck and brought in a 2Wire 3800HGV-B model Residential Gateway unit and a Cisco IPN4320 DVR STB. He unhooked the Comcast DVR and I was shocked to see AT&Ts boxes are about half the size of the Comcast box.

The install was neat, clean and works real well. I have an even better SD picture then I had with Comcast’s TV service

It took about 5 minutes for the boxes to boot and then things got working. I was definitely blown by the difference in channel line up that I’ll have to relearn, but, eh. I’m a tech. I’ll figure it out (or at least my favorite channels in short order) soon. I also found out after hooking it to an HD monitor I have that the box switches resolutions between my SDTV Tube TV and my HDTV monitor. Too bad I can’t watch 2 different channels on each hookup while doing that. When watching the HD hook up, I see what others have said about U-Verse HD quality with the blurriness and slightly blocky picture. Though by the time I get an actual HDTV, they’ll have probably improved things further.

Before JB left, I checked on Anime Network On Demand and found it not working, though it kicked in a bit after he left. So far, I’m great now. All my channels are working and I’m loving the change. AT&T U-Verse TV is well worth my money and I’m glad I switched. He left at 12:30 pm. The install went well and the only thing that’s off is the fact my VCR wasn’t hooked back up, but I can do it myself later. So, no harm.

A few hours after the install, I got back in touch with Matt of Tier 2 and told him about things and he informed me that although I had 4HD channels available to me, I could only record 3 and watch 1 on another TV, which isn’t possible since only one TV is hooked up to the service. I tested it earlier and was able to record all 4 channels on the one box like I had originally wanted. This shocked him as he thought I wasn’t in a test area for that feature. (I had read on another forum that recording 4 channels was being sent to each new customer from the beginning instead of an upgrade.) So I picked a great time to sign up, eh?

The remote and various things like setting up series recordings and search will take some getting used to, but I’m rapidly adapting and I love the service. I should’ve switched before now.

The actual techs that serviced me and Matt at Tier 2 were exceptional

I’ll be dumping Comcast TV on Monday now that I’m hooked up. I’ll be updating this review when I find out what my next bill is and what the Autopay situation is.

Update: 12/15/10

Just got access to the U-Verse site and set everything up. Was able to cancel my Autopay. It remains to be seen if it'll effect anything. I believe that the lady doing my pre-order set up was lying to me saying that Auto pay is mandatory for 6 months.

Update: 12/18/10

Got a piece of mail from AT&T saying that my now canceled Autopay was approved and a warning that any services requiring Autopay, if Autopay was canceled, service would be shut off and if service is terminated, would incur ETFs, etc. If this is true, with others having U-Verse service and others without forced Autopay. I won't pay any fees and might even consider going back to Comcast if my service is shut off for something as stupid as forcing Autopay, when I fully intend to pay my bill every month without it.

Update: 12/20/10

I was just watching one of my recordings and have finally seen what others have mentioned with pixelation and micro-blocking. It was nasty. Their faces were blurred out during this few seconds. Though, this was on the SD version of the channel, HD may be better. I'll have to do some testing. Still, it's not bad enough for me to get overly pissed about it. Their DVR box is enough to keep me on the service for a long while. Being able to record 4 shows at once is too addicting to switch.

Update: 2/3/11

Since the last update, I've had the service for over a month now and I like it. I've since dropped all add on packages like Anime Network on Demand, and just went with the U-450 as it is out of the box to save the 7 dollars in add ons I was spending. I was gonna go with the HD add on package of channels in addition to the Anime Network on Demand package, so I could get the Funimation Channel, but decided against it. I'm glad I did as just as I was making the decision, U-Verse ran a week of everything they had to offer for free. So I got to see just what the HD package I was gonna order was like. I wasn't too impressed. And the Funimation Channel offered 2 shows that I wanted, but could get on DVD or Hulu anytime I chose. So here I am. Matt from Tier 2 was very helpful in getting me squared away and off I go. I've also paid my first month's bill since then and have basically shown that woman at the mall to be a liar. I don't have to have mandatory autopay like she insisted I did. Instead, I pay it with my bank's bill pay service and haven't heard a peep out of AT&T about it. My 6 month promo is up in June, so we'll see then if I make any changes to my TV package or service in general.

Update: 7/8/11

This month, my 6 month U-Verse TV promotion expired and my bill went from 113 to 124. The expected price increase to 117 happened and the rest was just fees and taxes. I don't use a lot of the channels such as HBO and others, so I decided to cut my package down to something below 100 bucks that doesn't have premium channels included. Since I watch only maybe 20-30 channels regularly, I looked for a package with those and went from U-450 (their top package with every Premium channel) down to U-200. It has everything that I use of the U-450 package, and nothing I don't. I'll also save 25 if not more, dollars a month from the switch. Don't know what my exact bill will be now. but it will be less then 100 bucks. I'm expecting around 80 or slightly less.

Also, on the 5th, I got the fabled Phase 3 update and my DVR matches what Comcast had in terms of being able to see how much recording space my DVR has left without having to go through a bunch of menus first. It is a bit slower, though. And they changed the fast forward controls. Can't say I like that, but it's an extra hit on the button and the slowness? Maybe it's just me. We'll see.

Will update when I get my latest bill in with the U-200 plan changes.

Update: 9/22/12

Wednesday night at 7:30 pm, my RG lost connection and I was left with a blinking red light. I can't use my TV service for the time being. I suspect the RG is fried. This will have been the second RG to break since I got my service on 12/10/10.

I'm awaiting replacement and will update with how that goes.

Update: 9/24/12

After a bit of a false start with Tech support, I got an appointment for 9/24/12 for them to send a tech out about my issue. Talked to a nice guy named Travis, who to my shock, said that it wasn't my RG as I thought, but that there was a break in the line between the VRAD and my home wiring. Whether or not it was at my house wasn't known at the time.

I gleaned an appointment from 12-4 pm. At 3:22 PM, an inside tech named Jason came and a few minutes into running his tests says that I'm dead at the house and it isn't my house wiring. So they have to get a line tech into the mix as there is nothing more Jason can do on his end. He leaves after this and I'm waiting for the Line tech to come.

At 4:11 PM, the Line tech, Mike calls. We talked for a few minutes and I surprised him with my knowledge of the setup, as regular customers don't know these things. I'm not your regular customer as I make it my business to know everything I can about a given tech as it helps with troubleshooting.

About 4:30, he comes, tells me that he's got good signal down the road, so it must be the box closer to my house. 100 feet away line wise is the box that my wires connect to. He goes and opens that up and low and behold. There is a pair of cut wires that lead back to my home and the reason why I've not got service. They weren't labeled as active either. So he hooks they back up and hopefully labeled them as he said he would do and he runs his tests while I go back inside and check things on my end.

By the time I get back in, my TV is already playing live, DVR hasn't come up yet. But after a few minutes, everything is working. By 5:00, it's like nothing happened and I'm catching up on my missed TV eps.

I also got a credit on my account for the days that I wasn't able to use my service. I need a real case of bad weather to really put the repair work through it's paces, but I'm happy and hope that I don't have any more problems for a good while.

Update: 1/13/14

Well, on 12/10/13, it's been my 3 year anniversary with U-Verse TV. It's been quite a ride so far. 2 box swaps and an RG later, here I still am. Though, maybe not for much longer. There is a price increase coming at the end of the month. I'll be looking for a Promo. If I don't get one, I'll be shopping around to carry out my threat of leaving. I have no interest in U-Verse phone or their slower internet. Cable has been making good strides in catching up to the TV service that snagged me. So we'll see.

We'll see where it goes from here. And I'll update with whatever I find out.

Update: 3/25/15

On 3/6/15, after a few months debate, I dropped AT&T U-Verse TV, which was the only service I had from them. They offered me a package deal to stay. Even tried to hook me with internet (Yeah, right, when Comcast has them beat and has to do very little to continue to do so) and cell phone service. (I was tempted since I could've gotten an iPhone 5 for a penny, but I was tired and wanted to make sure of all the hidden fees and things before I committed.) U-Verse TV service, especially all the SD stuff my package had just wasn't doing it for me anymore. Recently, I paid for a month's service and never even used the DVR. That woke me up. I also took stock of everything I had DVR'd, only to find I could get it on Netflix, Amazon Prime instant video, or Hulu for a lot less then the 89.30 I was paying a month. After almost 5 years, the 4 tuner DVR and 500GB hard drive was showing it's age. The picture quality, even as HD, left things to be desired over services like Netflix, etc. So, I called up on the 6th and after about a 40 minute wait on hold, got a nice CSR named David, who took care of me. He also said I was owed a refund for the rest of the unused month, which equated to 45-50 bucks. The only thing that sucked was that they have 45 days to pay it out. All in all, a satisfying end to almost 5 years of service.

Though, about a day after the disconnect, I started getting bothersome "We want you back" and survey calls. If I was happy with the service, I'd not have disconnected it in the first place. Though, David definitely deserved his kudos.

On 3/17/15, I took the boxes in and mailed them off at the UPS store, and despite appearances, it was confirmed by another CSR I talked to today, Brandon, that they got the boxes on the 20th and I owed nothing now.

Update: 3/30/15

Today, I logged into my former AT&T U-Verse account and found they listed my credit as 51.32. Slightly more then I expected. Yay! The only sad thing about it is that I have to wait up to 6 weeks to get it. I wish it was just deposited into my bank account and ready for use, immediately.

member for 10.7 years, 6309 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

nacho

@172.56.6.x

att uverse customer service SUCKS

We called these people to get service from them. We after they gave a time and date I had to ask for half a day off work. We these people decided to call me after I got home at about seven pm the day before to tell me they couldn't come afterall and sorry for the inconvenience. So here I am with 1/2 day off work wasted . These company sucks and by the way I tried calling them and guess what I was connected to someone in India. This is crap. ATTSucks

Review by flashhuge13 See Profile

• Location: Lebec,Kern,CA
Good "?"
Bad "Horrible speeds, horrible connections. "
Overall "NVG510 is the worst gateway I've ever had to deal with. Too bad Brighthouse isn't up here on the Grapevine (from Bakersfield)"

·Charter
Forced to use AT&T DSL (they call it uVerse). But it is DSL. 3 up promised, only get 2 most days when it is connected. Their box is in our front yard so distance isn't the problem. Tech has been out numerous times and finds nothing wrong...what's wrong with THAT? If you have ANY choice between cable and AT&T, take cable internet. I had cable in Montana and in Bakersfield. It was the best.

***UPDATE 3/29/15****

Once again we had a service call. The tech on site replaced the modem/router again. Two years and this is the 5th time we've had a modem/router change. This time the tech replaced ALL outside lines from the pole to the box on the house and it has made a difference in at least staying online now. Speeds are fairly consistent, hanging in about 2.7mbps(we're supposed to get 3.0) so that's pretty good. This is the top tier in our area, no cable available.

Comments:

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19

Really

You probability have adsl2 vs your old asdl1.Adsl2 is marketed as uverse buit aint vdsl is just plain old dsl

Adsl2 or better known as "advance digital service line" vs just plain "digital service line"is still just dsl.

Adsl2 has higher speeds at very short loops.Legacy dsl at longer loop lengths perform/issues better than adsl2.

TV service from T is just vdsl which is just another version of dsl.

flashhuge13

join:2008-06-15
Lebec, CA

Re: Really

Yes you are correct. ADSL2 is what I have. No TV from AT&T is available up on the Grapevine(I-5 South of Bakersfield/North of LA). All in all, I guess it's better than nothing, huh?

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma

Stretching the limits of DSL

They managed to stretch ADSL2+ to 12,000 feet at my location, but with a lot of
noise and errors on the line . .

3 mbps was the highest speed . . . 400kbps upload.

We did get cable out where I live, so I switched (not worth keeping at&t when cable was only $25 more a month for 60mbps.)

Review by suchageek See Profile

• Location: Saint Louis,Saint Louis,MO
Good "Reliable Internet."
Bad "Watch out for supposed deal when extending. Not always what's quoted over phone."
Overall "Affordable, reliable service. Do not like dealing with AT&T. "

·ooma
No longer using AT&T U-verse. Did not like the constant buffering of Netflix even with 24 down.

Comments:

David
Granite City, IL

You can always contact us

in the direct forum.

suchageek
join:2002-12-22
Saint Louis, MO

Re: You can always contact us

I did via AT&T Uverse forums and customer care (not phone customer support) took care of the discrepancy. I will edit my review.

Review by Uverse guy See Profile

• Location: Carrollton,Dallas,TX
Good "Everything (except the lack of FTTP)"
Bad "No Gigpower in my area"
Overall "Great service. No issues thus far. "

U450. HSIA18. Order was processed internally. 589 gateway, but soon to be 599. 8 stb. Only 5 in use. 32 Mbps profile. IHP8010 DVR, two 2500 WSTB. Two 2200 stbs. VAP 2500.

I have had Time Warner Cable, Charter, Dish Network, and Uverse personally. Uverse has been far more reliable than Charter and Dish. It has many more features than TWC (Time Warner Cable). Speed seems comparable, even though I had almost twice the speed with Time Warner Cable. Uverse is simply the best service I have ever had.

About three month ago I had an open (lines not connecting) on ONE side of my pair at the terminal. Though I am close to the SAI (~1200 ft), I was still impressed by the robustness of Uverse to function with half the signal expected. AT&T Uverse is a great service.

member for 29 days, 23 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Porthos

@sbcglobal.net

Ethics

Would it be appropriate for a reviewer to state their employment by the company they are reviewing?