AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by PHDinCT See Profile

• Location: Redding,Fairfield,CT
Good "not much right now...maybe price."
Bad "Poor ISP signal..drop-out, lost datpackets..."
Overall "If Comcast just would get THEIR act together or state of CT would open up to other ISPs...but oh well...gotta make another appt."

So tell me ....what does one do about AT&T U-Verse "throttling" customers' broadband signal trying to get them to trade up to a higher priced Plan? Particularly when they are the ONLY DSL carrier in Connecticut?

(Nearest cable pole is 300 yards and needs a trench dug for cable = $3,000+)

I have repeatedly contacted attcustomercare@att.com NUMEROUS times and they've sent techs out to my home-office, to merely switch routers or ck wiring, but they're always unreliable and drop-out internet signal is something that these techs just don't seem to be able to fix...mmmm, wonder why? NOT!

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jgibbon4 See Profile

• Location: Knoxville,Knox,TN
Good "Consistent internet speeds. Crystal Clear Picture"
Bad "Poor on-demand offerings"
Overall "More expensive than Xfinity in this neighborhood. I have had both. Prefer Uverse."

Ordered the U-300 package
The installation was professional and quick

Comments:

Review by pulsev2 See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
Good "Easy to get Started"
Bad "PRICE AFTER CONTRACT, RENEWAL PROCESS, CUSTOMER SERVICE"
Overall "ANOTHER PAIN IN THE ASS, JUST LIKE COMCAST. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND FORGET IT"

Have the U450 package with HBO/Cinemax, Max turbo 24mb internet, and uverse voice(voip). The first year was a contract, with discounts and incentives for around $185. Multiple hardware failures, internet lags, service visits etc in first 6-9 months. Some issues with rental home wiring being substandard. All line issues dealt with by placing router directly on the interior wall next to the outside line connection box, then using a cat5 cable between the two. For phone line issues, we then plugged the cordless base directly into the router and went wireless throughout the house, as the phone wiring had gotten wet/damaged somehow. Connection issues gone.

As for performance, the TV performs well, the internet is seldom at rated speed. Right now, speedtest.net gives me 15mb dl/4.6 UL. I pay for 24. Id say I get rated internet speed probably 20% of the time or less. Phone service has been ok, but we hardly use it. We have cells.

Renegotiated new agreement for service AFTER we got the HUGE bill the month following contract expiration. 240. They have it set up so you HAVE TO GET A BIG BILL POST-CONTRACT EXPIRATION, BECAUSE IF YOU CALL BEFORE IT EXPIRES, THEY CANT NEGOTIATE THE NEXT "AGREEMENT". YOU HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL AFTER IT EXPIRES, AND AFTER A NEW OFF AGREEMENT BILL IS GENERATED. THEN THEY SAY YOUR NEW "AGREEMENT" WILL BE RETROACTIVE, IT ISN'T. AND IN MY CASE, MY "NEW AGREEMENT" I HASHED OUT ON THE PHONE WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE FOR NEARLY AN HOUR ON A SATURDAY ON THE PHONE, WAS COMPLETE RUBBISH. NO TRACE OF THE CONVERSATION EVEN HAPPENING. ANOTHER BILL FOR 280 NOW. RIDICULOUS. AND THEY ALSO CHANGED THE BILL CYCLE, BECAUSE THEY CAN, AND DIDN'T BOTHER NOTIFYING ME UNTIL I RECEIVED MY NEXT BILL FOR 280. I HAVE HAD IT WITH THIS NONSENSE FROM ALL PROVIDERS. I ACTUALLY THOUGHT AT&T WAS OK FOR A WHILE, BUT AFTER A RECENT CELL PHONE ORDERING TOTAL FAIL, ALSO RELATED TO AN AGREEMENT MADE OVER THE PHONE WHICH THEY COULD NOT HONOR, I AM THROUGH WITH CABLE TV. IM GOING FREE OVER THE AIR, AND STREAMING. THESE COMPANIES ARE SCIENTIFICALLY SCREWING EVERYBODY WHO GIVES THEM A NICKEL. ALL DONE. HENCE THIS REVIEW. WAY TO F*CK YOURSELF AT&t.

(2014092806_11_36Speedtest.netbyOoklaTheGlobalBroadbandSpeedTest.jpg)

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

oneoone

join:2010-01-20
Lagrange, GA

Hmm

So you're angry because you are paying the full price for services you agreed to when you joined?

Review by ultimatebob See Profile

• Location: Clinton,Middlesex,CT
Good "It's reasonably priced, and they give you a reward card when you sign up"
Bad "Unreliable"
Overall "Almost bad enough to get me to switch back to Comcast. Almost."

I've had the UVerse U200 TV and "Turbo" Internet package for 2 months, and I've found that it's highly unreliable. The TV and DVR service randomly stops working, and their wireless gateway locks up and reboots itself every two weeks. Their tech support seems to be helpful with diagnosing these issues, but I'm not sure if this is going to change once Frontier Communications takes over their service in Connecticut starting next month.

On the bright side, the installer that I had was a pretty cool guy and they sent me $225 in reward cards after having the service for a month. That said, I might find myself crawling back to Comcast once my year contract is over.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

LunaAH

@66.87.102.x

Stay away... Bad installation ...

If you looking for internet service..think twice about getting...u-verse internet (contract).
I had about 34 days since they did the installation... A really bad installation.. Until now, no technician qualify has been fixed yet and guess what I did my
first payment"" yeyyy. Thanks att. for nothing.

David
I start new work on
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

email them direct

If it helps I will throw it out there. They have a email address for unresolved or still poor sevice issues. The address is attcustomercare@att.com.
Thanks again folks- David.
PHDinCT

join:2014-09-17
Redding, CT

Re: email them direct...and they do NOTHING! except continue THROTTLING!

So tell me David....what does one do about AT&T U-Verse "throttling" customers' broadband signal trying to get them to trade up to a higher priced Plan?
I have contacted attcustomercare@att.com NUMEROUS times and they've sent techs out to my home-office, to merely switch routers or ck wiring, but they're always unreliable and drop-out internet signal is something that these techs just don't seem to be able to fix...mmmm, wonder why? NOT!

Review by doechsli See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "Modern Interface"
Bad "Old copper carrying the signal, subject to damage"
Overall "equal to or better than cable for slightly less money (for 24 months)"

·Insight Communic..
Ordered the U300 package supporting 4 TV's with a DVR, telephone service and 18mb internet service. Due to a problem at the VRAD the install was delayed by several weeks. Installation was started on A Friday and not completed till a Tuesday due to a bad wire pair on the pole. Overall the order/install process went as well as could be expected with the exception of the bad pair which cause the three day delay. One thing to note is when being quoted a price, that does not include any applicable taxes or fees so your monthly bill will be higher. In my case fees/taxes amount to about $20 a month. This is a fairly new install but so far there have been no technical issues. On a side note, I did pull my own Cat5e cable to each TV set so I am not running any TV's using the wireless set top box.

Comments:

Review by weeksben1 See Profile

• Location: Clarkston,Oakland,MI
Good "Easy install, good picture"
Bad "A bit hard to find DMZ plus mode on RG. Some Pixelation when watching TV and doing large d/l at the same time."

I ordered the U200 triple play package. I had a bit of trouble finding the DMZ plus mode, so I could use my existing router with their residential gateway. I find that there is a some pixelation when I'm watching TV and downloading large files simultaneously. One other problem is that I can't easily archive shows off the DVR, like with TIvo. I can't get the STB remote to control my older TV. But other than those three minor issues, it works well. The installer showed up on time, took about 3-4 hours, (had to do some changes on the crossbox servicing my location). It works great.

member for 10.6 years, 2699 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Gbcue See Profile

• Location: Santa Rosa,Sonoma,CA
Good "Great speeds, nice HD quality, free DVR!"
Bad "CAPS"
Overall "Caps stifle innovation and U-Verse has them."

Other options: Either AT&T DSL, Sonic.net (AT&T DSL re-branded) or Crapcast Cable.
Speed: 18megs, it's quite fast and the line we're using only has 54% saturation.
Order process: Great, all online.
Install process: Went fairly quickly due to the whole house being wired with CAT5e.
Equipment: Motorola DVR and 2WIRE RG.
Other thoughts: 0 stars due to 250GB cap per month + Overages!!!

member for 13 years, 6743 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by MyReview See Profile

• Location: Burlington,Alamance,NC
Good "TV channel choices"
Bad "When using their wireless system the remote units are VERY slow. At best 10mbs"
Overall "I won't be coming back to U-verse sadly. It looked great at first."

I have the U-verse 200 plan for tv. The internet speed is supposed to be up 18mbs. (not below 13).

The install was fantastic. The service techs were professional, fast and knowledgeable. I came to Uverse from Time Warner (roadrunner) and Dish Network to combine my services and save money. It did save me money, and the tv line up/selection is better. The Internet speed on the main server is ok as well. HOWEVER anything running on wireless in the house is extremely slow! I mean near dial up slow. At best on my laptops only 30 feet away I can only get, at best, 10mbs download. More often than not it is 5-8mbs. I was informed that I would no longer need my Linksys/NetGear router. "The AT&T U-verse router will take care of it all" was the quoted statement.

Well sports fans, "it don't". I haven't tried to put the Linksys back on line yet but after several phone calls to customer service ( they are horrible) and several service techs coming out (they are qualified and professional) I'm politely told "that's the norm for wireless". "AT&T Uverse makes no guarantees about wireless speeds, only the incoming speed to the main router". Well had they told me that up front I surely would have kept what I had. Now the Time Warner cables have been dug up (landscaping) and it will cost to have it all reinstalled. I'm very disappointed, stuck with slow internet speeds and generally angry about it. I will not go back to AT&T anything. I'd planed to switch over cell and landline. Not going to happen now. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had switched the cell over. Luckily, I happy as can be with that service and plan to keep it. When my AT&T contract runs out, I'll switch everything over to the same vendor as my cell. Live and Learn.

Comments:

backman

@76.250.81.x

Uverse service

You would not believe the issues I have had. Never in my long career have I encountered such an inept business, ATT. I wish I had time and space to take you through the horror stories with this installation I have had over the past week and it is still not working. Just take my advise, DO NOT GO Uverse.

Review by WGF_Crafty See Profile

• Location: Mesquite,Dallas,TX
Good "Very little. Quick install? "
Bad "Advertised to be the 24 down plan, so I'd say 3 is lacking. Never hot above 1MB a sec, it should be 3MB"
Overall "I also downgraded the internet four months ago. Bottom line is I'm leaving for whoever."

Shady tactics, didn't happen to me, but I worked for two days trying to sell these plans. They would lie straight to your face about how it's fiber like FIOS, and just hope the people weren't smart enough to tell the difference between FTTH and fiber to the node. Jerks.

Horrible pricing. I started with the 6Mbit plan and got about 1.2MB down or about 90KB up, not shabby.

I upgraded to a 24Mbit plan, my speed should have more than doubled (about four months ago) the speed never increased, at all. Upload went to 200KB, but so? I'm not hosting servers. I downgraded it, dropped the phone, and dropped the premium channels they snuck on in early May. I've talked to them four times hearing promises that they'd get it right, despite being billed for a month and then comped, they STILL have the home phone, and the wrong overpriced internet plan.

They always ask stupid questions for verification which I don't remember the answers to (in order to talk to you) and detailed data inside the online account (Say, what I paid for everything 13, 4, and 2 months ago won't cut it.) This is to downgrade the plans. They wanted me to go to a ATT store where I don't even have a phone. Hell Why can't I email you a picture of me and my ID in front of the login page? Cause they want me to get an ATT phone.

So, I'm checking out other providers this very second, I've convinced the rest of the house to ditch cable and get internet and a VPN and HD local TV, save money watch Netflix+Amazon and get whatever else you need... cheaply. (garage sales).

Screw you UVerse, unless you offer me 2-3 MONTHS for free I'm gone for good. And I liked the configuration on their router. But I have two DDWRT54G-TMs laying around begging to be played with

I promise this isn't a fake review lol. Look elsewhere, or if you live near me, pray to the FTTH gods Verizon inches a bit more this way.

member for 12.9 years, 1345 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

MJohn

@99.181.56.x

Same

I have been running U-Verse for about 3 months and I have nothing but complaints. I have the 6mb plan and we are getting .3 down and .1 up most times. They tried over charging us by 200 dollars for an instillation fee that we were told we didnt have to pay. After we called them and went into the store, they said they would get rid of it, but instead of doing so, they gave us a late fee for not paying it. It is the internet service i have ever used. A shame, really.

Review by benwaynet See Profile

• Location: Grand Haven,Ottawa,MI
Good "Uptime on service has been great."
Bad "wish I could use my own DNS servers for all devices via DHCP"
Overall "Good service, higher ping times. But very solid"

I've had the service for a year with very little if any down time. The speeds have been good, we stream two netflix sessions with no issues.
I would love to be able to use openDNS without having to jump through another router. I know its because the set top boxes use the same IP network and DNS.