AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by Wily_One See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Tech support has been responsive. (even if they can't fix the issue...)"
Bad "Bonded connection unreliable. Need more HD streams supported. TV remote is annoying."

I was an early adopter, getting U-verse back in 2008.
In the very beginning TV was glitchy, but since then those issues have been worked out.

Internet has been rock solid. Over the years there have been a couple of times when the connection was dropping. Tech Support found the issues (on their end) and rectified quickly.

UPDATE:
As of Feb 2014, AT&T has increased speeds for several tiers:
»Re: Max Turbo Upload Bumped to 5 Mbps? STARTED TONIGHT!

UPDATE: Feb 2015
Between last year and now, I was upgraded to the 45Mb bonded channel tier. This has proven to be a nightmare. Even if one channel stays up, any drop of the other causes the whole connection to freeze, affecting both TV and Internet. TV shows freeze, dropping frames, and Internet sessions are broken.

Premise Techs have been out multiple times. Linemen have been out multiple times. Bottom line is the two channel setup is LESS reliable than just one. (The exact opposite of my experience with bonding in the server world.)

The drop/retrain issue got so bad I have cancelled service and reluctantly gone back to Comcast.

member for 12.2 years, 5093 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Abused

Customer Abuse

Run, don't walk, from AT&T Uverse. Based on my Extensive, Extensive experience with AT&T Uverse, no will be able to get thru to customer service for any issue. Yes, the service works well, but at what costs? If you feel like carving out 30 hours on the phone, having an area manager chew you out, multiple trips to a corporate store, placed on hold, transferred to wrong numbers, given incorrect contact numbers, incorrect answers to speciic questions, ect., ect., ect., then sign up. I would pay $200 to NOT to go thru the experience of contacting AT&T uverse. It is so bad that I believe it falls under Customer Abuse. I would love to have a VP, not a store manager, customer service manager contact me. My email is kadyco123@yahoo.com On a scale of 1 to 100, the training given by AT&T is a zero. Yes, zero point zero. It's a disgrace really? I cannot express completely the frustration trying to battle like a medieval warrior and overcome hoardes of misinformation, an incompetent web site, and people AT&T has chosen NOT to properly equip with basic knowledge to servgice customers. Hey, I know what I'm talking about - more than 30 hours on the phone with AT&T Uverse trying to get simple questions answered. Don't believe me, call Uverse sales department and ask a salesperson, "What is the current Uverse promotion"? Then ask, "What are the comparable benefits of the three plans of AT&T Uverse?" Seriously, email me. Zero point Zero.

BrandiLB

-1 recommendation

Re: Customer Abuse

I completely agree. I also have one for you. We signed up with AT&T Uverse Internet on 9/13/2013. The tech came out to install everything on 9/16/13. I made sure to set us up on Auto Debit for payments and I'm not the best at monitoring, which leads into the next part. Last night around 7:00 PM CST our service was shut off. I tried to login to our online account to see what had happened (via my mobile hotspot with Verizon thank goodness) and we did not exist. I then spent the better part of an hour with Tech Support only for them to tell me that my account does not exist and call Sales Support in the morning (They're only open until 7:00 PM). Please keep in mind we have had service since 9/13 (3 months) and have received no emails stating our account was past due, or they needed a new card on file, etc. I get up and call Sales Support only to have them tell me the same thing - our account doesn't exist. They get a manager on the phone with me who is going to reactivate our account with a $100 advance. We essentially had not paid the bill in 3 months because our account didn't exist. I am absolutely fine with paying the $100 for that reason. Here's the kicker: We both work from home so as you can imagine internet connectivity is essential, of this I made AT&T aware. I was told that they would expedite the service to get it turned back on today. I called a few hours later to find out approximately when the service would be back on today and was informed that they couldn't do anything until Monday, this is Wednesday. I explained everything again and still no help. I ask you AT&T why in the world does a tech have to come out to my house to set me up when I was just set up 3 months and 5 days ago? You can certainly shut my service off with no warning remotely so why can't you reinstate it remotely. I'm with kadyco please email me and do tell at brandilb@gmail.com. This is a horrendous load of manure and explanation is due, especially since there was not a single person at AT&T who had dealt with this issue before and I seriously doubt there is any intention to fix it.
golfnow

join:2012-08-19
Knoxville, TN

1 recommendation

Re: Customer Abuse

Uverse is excellent. Have no problems reaching customer support.

Wily_One
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

"Abused", "BrandiLB",
hmmm, so I just said I've had GOOD customer service from AT&T, and you come along to tell me I "won't be able to get through." LOL.

The last issue I had the office of the president (of AT&T) was calling me to make sure I was taken care of. I got primo service; what you state is a lie.

You Anonymous posters need to go back to your Comcrap masters and report your failure.

Hey

@bhn.net

Re: Comcrap plants

What I just went through today with AT&T coaster service, I hope no one goes through! I only picked up the phone when I heard the representative start to yell at me pregnant wife! I heard him yelling from across the room! Then the battle went on for the next thirty minutes to try and cancel! Glad you were taken care of, but I will suggest people stay away!

deb127

Re: Comcrap plants

I have spent hours today trying to get my DSL turned back on. I was going to change my internet and phone to u-verse. Couldn't install the internet change due to snow and not safe to put an extension ladder up to the house.

Told it would happen last nite after the system updated or by the end of business (9 pm) Then a calling saying by morning, this morning - no internet - after talking to 7 people, it finally got turned back on.

I will be canceling my u-verse rescheduled install and keeping things as is. I'll be canceling the install mainly because i don't want digital landline phone service.

Jennifer P

@mycingular.net

Re: Customer Abuse

I agree. Horrible customer service. Issues are never resolved. Billing never correct. Have spent countless hours on the phone minth after month. Worth the extra $$ to go back to cox

AustinTX6543

AT&T Uverse

Thank you! The Internet is great! Hoping that you bring faster speeds to Del Valle,TX 78617 one day. They are advertising same price I pay for 45mbps for an even faster speed on TV. I am patiently awaiting. Thank you for you services AT&T. I play online gaming and MMO. Also downloads from iTunes. There are about Ten devices on my modems wifi/LAN. So you can see why I am waiting. I hope to get the faster speed advertised on TV at that price if possible. My connection is not coaxial it is a LAN based direct to my house. They just do not have the speed advertised on TV at my location, but you pay to receive and support them to create better services for other areas eventually. I also do not have a problem receiving customer support from them via live chat/phone. I think AT&T is an excellent service! Thank you.
martyp

join:2004-01-30
Vallejo, CA

AT&T Internet has been great

I have had AT&T for Internet since back in the day when DSL was 128mb. I now have uverse for phone and internet and it has been great.

I do have a problem with the wireless that developed late Friday night , but I am sure that I will get a new modem ordered on Monday .

I am using a net gear as a access point and using that for wireless and even when I get a new modem may want to keep it this way

Review by clbowen2 See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Reliable connection"
Bad "TV video quality could be better on certain stations; DVR/STB could use improvement; need faster speeds"
Overall "Overall, I am satisfied...for now"

We have the U300 TV package bundled with the Max (12/1.5 Mbps) internet plan. I've had this service since 2009, so I don't remember the install experience.

So let's get the internet service out of the way. I have the Max plan, but regularly get 15/1.8 Mbps speeds on speed tests. Also, the speed tests give me a consistent 20ms ping (of course, that's a ping to a server less than 50 miles away). And I have never had an internet interruption. So that has been rock solid.

Now, their equipment is another issue. I am on my second gateway (WiFi issues), second DVR box (DVR issues). I have 2 other STB's, both have been replaced over the years (various issues). All of this has been done at no charge (I pay for this Home Wiring Protection, if that matters). At this point, the only issue I have is audio dropout on AMC. But still trying to pinpoint the problem.

Their customer service is ok. Sometimes when I call them, I can tell that I've been routed to India or somewhere. The tech are nice when they come by and show up in the time window they say they will.

Now, for the future. I just bought a 4K TV. With 4K streaming requiring a 20Mbps+ connection, and I'm only have to upgrade to a 18Mbps plan at my location, I may down the line switch to a competitor when that becomes more popular. Also, when TV stations start doing 4K broadcasts, I'm not sure if their current system will be able to handle that.

Another thing I would say is that their packages are a LOT simpler to understand than their competition here (Cox).

Another bad, their prices have gone up at least once a year (sometimes more) since I've had them. But every company does that, so it's par for the course.

So, overall I would say I'm satisfied, for now. When 4K become more mainstream, I think I will become less and less satisfied.

member for 14.4 years, 2009 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ImpldConsent See Profile

• Location: Mcdonough,Henry,GA
Good "FAST Service! Excellent install (except adding STBs)."
Bad "AT&T will suck you dry of every associated penny."
Overall "Fast; reliable; however, the UBB ruins the value."

* UPDATE 26FEB2015: I know y'all want horror stories, but it's just not happening. AT&T U-Verse has been a solid, reliable and fast connection. I recently dropped down from U300 to Family. I noticed that I'm watching more online content that actual TV.

* UPDATE 18FEB2014: Wow, what a year. Just got home from being deployed to Afghanistan. The day I left for combat, wife up and moved. She was kind enough to put Uverse on hold at 19.00 month. She wasn't there at the welcome home and I had to beg for a ride home. Came home to a (nearly) empty house and got served divorce papers the next day. ... K, now for review: Re-estabished Uverse with my cell phone and it was up quick. I (had) 6 receivers, but only one of me and now only 2 TVs. I dropped down to U200 and bumped up internet to 45Mb. Waited 2 days for a tech and took about an hour total from changing to a new card at the VRAD and establishing the bonded pair. Hooked up a new RG (NV589) and it went green in about 5min. I then took 4 wired receivers to UPS and gave them back to ATT. Overall, as it relates to my Uverse experience, I am quite pleased. Couldn't be happier with TV and internet.

* UPDATE 8JAN2013: We dumped telephone service in lieu of VOIP. We are effectively saving 40./month (480./yr). We transferred our number so no loss. Ordered another STB (wireless) and should be in soon. I'll update the review if there are issues, but not anticipating any. Internet and TV are still ROCK SOLID.

* UPDATE 11JUN2012: No real updates. Still up and running while I'm still here in Afghanistan (at least my wife hasn't complained yet). We still pay a lot, but I can say this for U-Verse - it's stable and it's fast.

* UPDATE 6JUL2011: Added another STB for our 5th TV with this caveat: I pre-wired my house cat 5 to every liveable space (exclude bathrooms). I insisted that I wanted to do a self-install instead of paying them 55.00 to have a tech plug it in. AT&T insisted that there was more to it than just plugging it in. I relented. 'Lo and behold all the AT&T tech did was plug it in. AT&T SUCKS for not being able to determine the technical ability of it's customers.

PHASE III update now in place. FINALLY, my kids can pause live TV in any room. Great update.

* UPDATE 2MAR2011: UBB is going to be implemented May 2011. For me, that means I have to trust AT&T to tell me how much data is being downloaded and to tell me what is internet traffic and what is TV/Phone. I'm reducing my "Value for money" to "Worst" until I see what this does. For what it's worth - I have Max Turbo (24/3), 450 TV, Unlimited Phone (for now). I pay a lot of money for that service and a reasonable price for "Unlimited". Capping me now brings that to unreasonable.

* UPDATE NOV2010: OK, had this over 1 month now. Internet is awesome; however, TV is not so good. We have great signal, very few errors / corrections; however, most shows we watch are HD. It's fair, but not great. There is pixelization that you have to deal with. Wife is pissed. I think we might dump TV in favor of going to DTV (certainly NOT cable).

/////

ORIGINAL REVIEW: 18days from notification of availability to installation up and running. I cannot complain about the length of time for service. The installer (Richard) was fantastic. Had the "outside" guy come out, do his thing, then the inside guy (Richard) come out and do the house. He had internet up an running within 30min, then spent the rest of the 4hrs connecting phone and TV (4 of them).

ATT used HDMI cables (thank you) for connectivity on each TV. The RG (wired + wireless) is working flawlessly. I did a speed test and am getting 22Mbps down and about 2.2Mbps up. A little loss of latency, but overall, I'm impressed. All this speed is coming to my house on copper. I couldn't imagine if I was on FTTH.

For speed freaks, this is fantastic. For TV freaks... dump the Dish! I did. The service is 1080i, not sure if I'll see 1080p just yet or maybe sometime in the future. The 65.00 I quoted is for internet only. For the U200 TV, VOIP phone and Internet, runs about 171.00 month. I'm saving about 50.00/month dumping Dish.

member for 14 years, 2244 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Jeff Robin

@mycingular.net

AT&T lied bate and switch

They sold me with 92 a month then I got a bill for $230 and the boxes suck don't believe uvers promise

desertdebbie

a sucker is born every minute with AT&t -stay away U-VERSE

I have nothing but trouble with AT&T billing in the past so it was with great great trepidation I called and got Uverse for $14.95 a month - told the modem was free (when I told them I did not want their modem) - no mention of any activation fee - only informed about data limits when I am activating it with a rep who tells me I am wrong - there's no data limit. Just got the bill - my $14.95 service morphed into a bill for $228. - UNBELIVEABLE - went to complain on the PUC site and discovered they don't handle internet complaints - where can I go - BBB???

Review by smogrady See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Much better speed than previous DSL"
Bad "Price"
Overall "Not bad"

·AT&T Midwest
12/2014:
Upgraded to AT&T u-verse, 12mbps download. Used to be a DSL customer

Comments:

Review by RavenZ7 See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "Good speeds and good TV. Like that I can record 4 shows and still have full internet speed."
Bad "Sometimes a little slow down during prime time."
Overall "Comparable to Comcast but know that sometime this year Gigapower will be available to me."

Started out with the U300+18Mbps+phone. Now have U400+45Mbps+phone. Never use the phone but it was part of the discount package. No real issues but when we upgraded to the 45Mbps speed tier they had to replace the gateway. The tech came out but they had the upgrade on hold for about 2 hours for some reason. So a simple 20 min swap took 2 hrs.

member for 11.2 years, 1902 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

why60loss

join:2012-09-20

How do you know if you are getting gigapower?

A AT&T rep told me that 45mbs customers in a gigapower market would all get gigapower at some point. But I haven't seen anything official yet.

In Raleigh it was by June if the guess the rep made is right. But I know so far the roll out has been limited to very few customers in the markets it is in.
If only the FCC set standards on what ISP's can do on customer level connection's with rated "upto" speeds, packet loss and down time.

Review by adobe75 See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Pretty reliable"
Bad "had to fight hard to get good price - tech support is useless"
Overall "more expensive and slower than Comcast"

Meh.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

Review by martyp See Profile

• Location: Vallejo,Solano,CA
Good "Works well"
Bad "Gateway wifi is crap"
Overall "Works well and in 12 years less then 2 days down time total"

I have had AT&T DSL since back in the days when it was 128kb up and 128 kb down.

It has always worked well and with out fail. I have had a few times when it has gone down due to down lines and such, but know for a fact much better then comcast which a neighbor says goes down all the time.

Comments:

Review by netreaper See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX

Had had U-verse internet for last 8 years.
Never a problem with speed or connection.

member for 11.9 years, 3719 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by CompTech210 See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "Tier 2 Is the best in getting any sort of issue resolved."
Bad "Wiring in the area creates a very long loop length from the VRAD"
Overall "YMMV Wiring Wise but if it shows available i recommend you give it a try."

As of August 2014 I moved back to U-Verse as the 45/6 internet package became available and I couldn't stand DirecTV anymore with the constant price hikes and no extra add ons being given. Plus faster internet is a plus when i manage multiple servers at once.

initial order was:
45/5 Internet
Home Phone Unlimited
U200 + HD + HBO + 3 Wired Receivers (Two eventually switched to wireless for free later)

The install was a full rewire due to I still had DirecTV installed and running for a few days to test everything so the installer and his apprentice ran 4 new Ethernet runs from my server closet where the modem was to be placed to the three TV's and one to where my old DSL Modem was to backfeed a switch.
The switch fed three legacy ethernet runs i hadn't moved over yet to the new closet arrangement as i was still getting things configured on the PfSense box.
As of XMAS 2014 I ran all new lines to the equipment and removed that switch from operation so now I have a spare ethernet jack in my living room for any extra devices/lan party activities.

For the install they sadly started with a faulty NVG589, Within one hour of being online the modem started dropping service on both VDSL links and would drop/loose all configuration settings relating to passthrough mode for all internet data to my router.
It was an easy swap since they were still on site doing the TV setups and they noticed the issues with the links dropping before I had.

Other then that the TV Service has been rock solid! I subscribe to the U200 Package with HBO added on.

Internet is speedy fast and reliable, haven't had any downtime yet with an uptime on the NVG598 of 75+ days thanks to the provided BBU and my UPS keeping all the rest of my networking equipment online.

Sadly due my to line distance from the VRAD the 55/6 profile is as fast as I can possibly go with AT&T for the time being as my Max Sync on both lines is 31 and 34 Mbps respectively.
Other then that I am very pleased with the service and with the reliability and uptime.

Comments:

Buttcheeks

@charter.com

45/6

To qualify for he 45 Meg HSIA you must be within 2000 feet from the SAI. Please post a screen shot of the residential gateway diagnostic page. If each cable pair only shows a maximum of 31 and 32 Meg, you might either have a possible bridge tap issue, or possibly still be serviced by an "F" card hat has a much lower max attainable on the upload and download.
CompTech210

join:2008-09-14
San Antonio, TX
·AT&T DSL Service
·Clearwire Wireless

Re: 45/6

My current line stats.
I am on a K line card and the line techs cleaned up my lines by removing all bridge taps and other possible issues.

The lines are working great FEC count is about 200 an hour from what I am seeing and all services are working perfectly.

ATT retiree

@73.44.39.x
Uverse SUCKS!!! I am a retired AT&T employee. I had DSL for quite a few years and decided to go with Uverse. Little did I know that what AT&T said was available to me was not TRUE UVERSE, and DID NOT work through a VRAD. I ordered 6.0 mbps and AT&T couldn't get it to work at my location because I was told I am too far from the Central Office where the signal comes from. Consequently, I couldn't get the Uverse service, but THEY WOULD NOT REPLACE MY DSL SERVICE. (even as a retiree from AT&T) I cancelled the service completely and got Comcast -- THE BEST MOVE I COULD HAVE MADE. IT WAS ALL DONE WITH ONE (1) PHONE CALL, UNLIKE WHAT IT TOOK WITH AT&T TO ESTABLISH SERVICE. And, Comcast is 20 times faster than the Uverse they were trying to install for me, and less money as well. AT&T is going backwards, and their products, as well as their service, is diminishing rapidly.

Buttcheeks

@charter.com
To qualify for the 45 Meg HSIA you must be within 2000 feet from the SAI. Please post a screen shot of the residential gateway diagnostic page. If each cable pair only shows a maximum of 31 and 32 Meg, you might either have a possible bridge tap issue, or possibly still be serviced by an "F" card hat has a much lower max attainable on the upload and download.

Review by Nuckfuts See Profile

• Location: Joliet,Will,IL
Good "Total Home DVR, good internet speeds, wireless RG, service is always up, no downtime."
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Internet is always up and HD PQ has improved. Bigger HDD in DVR and new dvr is alot smaller and compact."

·DIRECTV
U-Verse was installed on 6/30/2008. U200 with HD and 6/1 internet. Kept the POTS line for awhile. Initially install was suppose to be on 6/3/2008. Prem tech came out then went to the VRAD only to come back and tell me it is not available yet even though they called me and said it was. Customer service was clueless. I was pissed. My brother-in-law is a CO Tech for AT&T. I immediately called him and he got a manager to call me with all the apologies and explanations as to why it is not up. Seems engineering and CS do not communicate so XBOX and VRAD were not wired yet, just the VRAD was active. So to start my first U-Verse experience was not so good. Just a note, if you ever have issues contact Tier 2 here, they are excellent at getting you taken care of. I will start with the TV first, then internet, and then VOIP which I just got last year. Also, 1000' from the VRAD and currently on the 32/5 profile with 1SD/3HD, 24/3 internet, and unlimited VOIP. Live in a newer subdivision with underground utilities and newer copper. My max sync in the RG is around 60,000.

1. IPTV - Just ordered DirecTV on 5/14/2011. I cannot stand watching U-verse over-compressed crappy HD PQ anymore. I refuse to pay for it and will be cancelling it on 5/21/11 when DirecTV is installed. I liked the whole home DVR but everyone is going with that now. I would not recommend U-verse HD to anyone. I am 900' feet from the VRAD and no line issues.

2. Internet- I am currently on the 18/1.5 package. I never had any problems with this service except an RG swap and new homerun last year and I am a loyal AT&T internet customer but that might change in the future due to the caps. I am a gamer and play mostly on Xbox LIVE and host full rooms with no issues and everyone loves the connection and to be honest I really did not get too much higher ping times when I switched. I had DSL prior which was 6/768 profile and my pings where normally on first hop 15-19ms. U-Verse first hops are around 19-28ms. I have had internet with AT&T since 2002 in the SBC days and started with the 384/128 package and never had issues, downtimes, etc. This is AT&T's strong point for me. My internet has always been excellent. It does also always help to have a family member keeping an on on my line all the time too!!!

3. VOIP - I had it activated in July of '09. On the unlimited plan for $33/month. Has been down twice for very short periods due to outages according to AT&T. It had alot of background noise at first but is pretty clear now. Works as intended and is cheaper than POTS. That is the plus for me. I do not use the phone too much but the wife has family down south so no more long distance bills!!! Overall I would say I am satisfied with the VOIP.

So in conclusion, I am pretty happy with my service and price. I am not a big fan of the heavily compressed HD and limited streams so if I had to rate U-verse out of 10 I would give it an 4. Why you say? Because of their HD feed, limited streams, only 1 DVR, and not up to par Tier 1 customer service and possible bandwidth caps. Thanks for stopping by.....

Returned to U-Verse 11/8/14. Even though the sales people are still idiots and totally messed up the order and install date and after 3 weeks of phone calls and escalated emails to the office of the president of AT&T the install went well and my service works great. I am glad U-Verse finally put 500GD HDD in their dvr's and I like the new motorola dvr. The NVG589 gateway kinda sucks as I liked the 3800 better but the NVG was needed for pair-bond. I have U450 with 45/6 internet. Got a 2 year promo due to all their mistakes so I pay $135 plus tax per month. I must say at least in my area the HD picture has drastically improved and is just as good as Comcast. Still not up to par with DirecTV but it will do. Overall, so far I am satisfied.