AT&T U-Verse page on DSLReports

Review by doechsli See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "Modern Interface"
Bad "Old copper carrying the signal, subject to damage"
Overall "equal to or better than cable for slightly less money (for 24 months)"

·Insight Communic..
Ordered the U300 package supporting 4 TV's with a DVR, telephone service and 18mb internet service. Due to a problem at the VRAD the install was delayed by several weeks. Installation was started on A Friday and not completed till a Tuesday due to a bad wire pair on the pole. Overall the order/install process went as well as could be expected with the exception of the bad pair which cause the three day delay. One thing to note is when being quoted a price, that does not include any applicable taxes or fees so your monthly bill will be higher. In my case fees/taxes amount to about $20 a month. This is a fairly new install but so far there have been no technical issues. On a side note, I did pull my own Cat5e cable to each TV set so I am not running any TV's using the wireless set top box.

member for 10.8 years, 758 visits, last login: a few hours ago
lodged a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by weeksben1 See Profile

• Location: Clarkston,Oakland,MI
Good "Easy install, good picture"
Bad "A bit hard to find DMZ plus mode on RG. Some Pixelation when watching TV and doing large d/l at the same time."

I ordered the U200 triple play package. I had a bit of trouble finding the DMZ plus mode, so I could use my existing router with their residential gateway. I find that there is a some pixelation when I'm watching TV and downloading large files simultaneously. One other problem is that I can't easily archive shows off the DVR, like with TIvo. I can't get the STB remote to control my older TV. But other than those three minor issues, it works well. The installer showed up on time, took about 3-4 hours, (had to do some changes on the crossbox servicing my location). It works great.

member for 10.5 years, 2695 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Gbcue See Profile

• Location: Santa Rosa,Sonoma,CA
Good "Great speeds, nice HD quality, free DVR!"
Bad "CAPS"
Overall "Caps stifle innovation and U-Verse has them."

Other options: Either AT&T DSL, Sonic.net (AT&T DSL re-branded) or Crapcast Cable.
Speed: 18megs, it's quite fast and the line we're using only has 54% saturation.
Order process: Great, all online.
Install process: Went fairly quickly due to the whole house being wired with CAT5e.
Equipment: Motorola DVR and 2WIRE RG.
Other thoughts: 0 stars due to 250GB cap per month + Overages!!!

member for 12.9 years, 6731 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by MyReview See Profile

• Location: Burlington,Alamance,NC
Good "TV channel choices"
Bad "When using their wireless system the remote units are VERY slow. At best 10mbs"
Overall "I won't be coming back to U-verse sadly. It looked great at first."

I have the U-verse 200 plan for tv. The internet speed is supposed to be up 18mbs. (not below 13).

The install was fantastic. The service techs were professional, fast and knowledgeable. I came to Uverse from Time Warner (roadrunner) and Dish Network to combine my services and save money. It did save me money, and the tv line up/selection is better. The Internet speed on the main server is ok as well. HOWEVER anything running on wireless in the house is extremely slow! I mean near dial up slow. At best on my laptops only 30 feet away I can only get, at best, 10mbs download. More often than not it is 5-8mbs. I was informed that I would no longer need my Linksys/NetGear router. "The AT&T U-verse router will take care of it all" was the quoted statement.

Well sports fans, "it don't". I haven't tried to put the Linksys back on line yet but after several phone calls to customer service ( they are horrible) and several service techs coming out (they are qualified and professional) I'm politely told "that's the norm for wireless". "AT&T Uverse makes no guarantees about wireless speeds, only the incoming speed to the main router". Well had they told me that up front I surely would have kept what I had. Now the Time Warner cables have been dug up (landscaping) and it will cost to have it all reinstalled. I'm very disappointed, stuck with slow internet speeds and generally angry about it. I will not go back to AT&T anything. I'd planed to switch over cell and landline. Not going to happen now. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had switched the cell over. Luckily, I happy as can be with that service and plan to keep it. When my AT&T contract runs out, I'll switch everything over to the same vendor as my cell. Live and Learn.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

backman

@76.250.81.x

Uverse service

You would not believe the issues I have had. Never in my long career have I encountered such an inept business, ATT. I wish I had time and space to take you through the horror stories with this installation I have had over the past week and it is still not working. Just take my advise, DO NOT GO Uverse.

Review by WGF_Crafty See Profile

• Location: Mesquite,Dallas,TX
Good "Very little. Quick install? "
Bad "Advertised to be the 24 down plan, so I'd say 3 is lacking. Never hot above 1MB a sec, it should be 3MB"
Overall "I also downgraded the internet four months ago. Bottom line is I'm leaving for whoever."

Shady tactics, didn't happen to me, but I worked for two days trying to sell these plans. They would lie straight to your face about how it's fiber like FIOS, and just hope the people weren't smart enough to tell the difference between FTTH and fiber to the node. Jerks.

Horrible pricing. I started with the 6Mbit plan and got about 1.2MB down or about 90KB up, not shabby.

I upgraded to a 24Mbit plan, my speed should have more than doubled (about four months ago) the speed never increased, at all. Upload went to 200KB, but so? I'm not hosting servers. I downgraded it, dropped the phone, and dropped the premium channels they snuck on in early May. I've talked to them four times hearing promises that they'd get it right, despite being billed for a month and then comped, they STILL have the home phone, and the wrong overpriced internet plan.

They always ask stupid questions for verification which I don't remember the answers to (in order to talk to you) and detailed data inside the online account (Say, what I paid for everything 13, 4, and 2 months ago won't cut it.) This is to downgrade the plans. They wanted me to go to a ATT store where I don't even have a phone. Hell Why can't I email you a picture of me and my ID in front of the login page? Cause they want me to get an ATT phone.

So, I'm checking out other providers this very second, I've convinced the rest of the house to ditch cable and get internet and a VPN and HD local TV, save money watch Netflix+Amazon and get whatever else you need... cheaply. (garage sales).

Screw you UVerse, unless you offer me 2-3 MONTHS for free I'm gone for good. And I liked the configuration on their router. But I have two DDWRT54G-TMs laying around begging to be played with

I promise this isn't a fake review lol. Look elsewhere, or if you live near me, pray to the FTTH gods Verizon inches a bit more this way.

Comments:

MJohn

@99.181.56.x

Same

I have been running U-Verse for about 3 months and I have nothing but complaints. I have the 6mb plan and we are getting .3 down and .1 up most times. They tried over charging us by 200 dollars for an instillation fee that we were told we didnt have to pay. After we called them and went into the store, they said they would get rid of it, but instead of doing so, they gave us a late fee for not paying it. It is the internet service i have ever used. A shame, really.

Review by benwaynet See Profile

• Location: Grand Haven,Ottawa,MI
Good "Uptime on service has been great."
Bad "wish I could use my own DNS servers for all devices via DHCP"
Overall "Good service, higher ping times. But very solid"

I've had the service for a year with very little if any down time. The speeds have been good, we stream two netflix sessions with no issues.
I would love to be able to use openDNS without having to jump through another router. I know its because the set top boxes use the same IP network and DNS.

Comments:

Review by gagem44 See Profile

• Location: Howell,Livingston,MI
Good "Steady speed, decent T.V."
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Good"

It's okay.

Comments:

Thecomedian

join:2013-12-09

You pissed someone off.

There is the question on "how the attacker obtained your IP address again". The only way that would happen is if your name (or your known alias) is left somewhere with your IP address, such as a message board or game server, AND the attacker is on that same service and has it out for you. (Or one of your family members).

You might want to try a different approach and see what "triggers" the DDOS once you get a new IP, and perhaps being able to pinpoint the attacker. AT&T might be able to assist you with an IP change, but they aren't going to do it if you call once a month because the attacker found you again.

First, investigate HOW exactly they find you, through what service, before you ask for an IP change.

Re: You pissed someone off.

Multiple places, on a game server through steam, skype; anywhere truly. "AT&T might be able to assist you with an IP change" > When I read that I laughed and this would just keep happening it's not just one person. The fact the have to fight for an IP change is a tell tale sign of a shi**y ISP.

Howell, MI
Also you got most of that from this
»Re: Changing my IP. (Being DDOS'd)

Thecomedian

join:2013-12-09

Re: You pissed someone off.

Yes, I did. Just do a little research and be nice to people online, and I am sure the problem will fix itself. A simple reboot will give you a new ip.

Re: You pissed someone off.

Ha only if it were that easy. I thank you for at least trying to give me tips but I tried everything under the moon :P

Review by Darknessfall See Profile

Good "TV features, uptime, and price"
Bad "Same service for 5 years :)."
Overall "Good product, but should upgrade their speeds"

How I'm installed:

All coax except for one TV by the gateway which has Ethernet while using the 2Wire 3801.

Equipment Review:

RG -The 3800 has been going strong for 4 years so far expect for the summer of 2010 when it decided to lose signal a lot but since then it hasn't dropped out once at all.I haven't gotten to use the ethernet for my computer since it was placed as close as possible to the NID so I mainly use wireless and it has been pretty decent while only having two bars. Pinging my gateway usually gives 1-2ms latency BUT sometimes our gateway may have a random wireless seizure every couple of months for a few days where your wireless becomes incredibly laggy but other than that it has been fine. The wireless performance is kind of poor on max speed though due to using wireless G still. I kind of wished they kept the modem/router separate since it makes it a little more annoying if you want to add a router ; ).

- Changed to 3801 model after posting this. Not much difference. -
- The 3801 seems to get really hot - 6/28/2013
- Would like to add that with my WNDA4100 adapter I now get full bars through a lot of walls on my gateway. Wireless G still makes it a little at this distance though.

STB(1x Motorola VIP1216/2x VIP1200s) - While I cannot comment on the recording feature since we barely use it they still are in good condition and well... work...
- Update: I seem to see random moments when all STBs in our home refuse to turn off with the physical power button on the STB. Usually clicking the "Menu" button on the STB fixes it.

Remote - All I can say that is it's very well laid out and doesn't feel too bulky.

TV:

SD - It's pretty decent. Clear on CRT and on a HDTV it can either be clear or maybe a little blurry depending on original format.

HD - Clear and soft edged. Some channels seem a little blurry at times though while others are great.

Audio - Clear and no drop outs.

Pixelization - I barely see any at all except for the rare moment it may randomly do it for less than a second after months.

On Demand - No comment since we barely use but movie buying was quick and easy. One thing I like to note is that the On Demand section is a little empty at times.
Note: Movie rentals last 2 days I believe.

Menu - Always fast and no lag but sometimes I find myself going through menu options that should of been closer to the start of it all.

Channels - We love the channel selection on U-verse that other companies such as Comcast do not have. There are usually two or so channels of the same channel in case you want to watch something else on that channel during a certain time.

Phone:

Quality - Decent

Caller ID on TV - We've always loved this feature and it hasn't had a glitch for us.
Caller ID on Phone - Works, sometimes. Usually get "Incoming call" on the phone.

Responsiveness - Good but when we first got the service we had dial problems that fixed themselves.

Internet:(No longer have internet service)

Latency - We usually get about 25ish with 1ms jitter.(Wireless)

Advertised vs real world - We are only on the 3 down/ 1 up plan and get about 3.1 down/ 1 up(Wireless)

Speeds - Decent for an average user.

Internet Consistency - Always on. Never went down when our power remained on.

Billing:

Errors - None

Problems - None

Price changes - Get yourself on a promo price .

Paying a bill: Fast

Old customer bonuses: Well... pretty poor. Most they give you is $5 off for a few months when you upgrade and such. They give out free previews of the other channels over major holidays though. $10 promo card to upgrade to paperless billing made me laugh a little though.

- Update: Got added onto promo pricing .

Support:

Opinion - We hadn't had much luck with support at all. First time the rep helped give us a temp solve that we would have to keep using at the time then another rep began to blame our computer and repeatedly ask us to buy something for $99 until we said we were hanging up(Turns out the whole issue was because of the cheap 2wire USB adapters we had). I also had good reps over live chat that seemed to be nice and answer my questions well. Like most companies you can either get the dumb or the great people. The wait time wasn't too bad but they like to swap you around to other people a lot. When we recently asked for new equipment there were no questions asked, quick and easy. We got our equipment the next business day.

Update: Got 3 free remotes. Declined offer for free wireless receiver upgrade.

Update: 6/28/2013
Service is still running good with no downtime. Line seemed to have dropped in quality VERY slightly. I get a couple thousand corrected blocks over time in my RG's error table. Random link retrains/ DSL Training errors on bootup.

I'm hoping we get the new RG in our area soon. Still no RG firmware update for our 2wire 3801 and Motorola STBs.
- Got the RG firmware update today - 6/29/2013

Was offered Max Turbo for $33 for 2 years but didn't take it at this time. Will look later to see if Comcast can offer me Blast for $34.99. Hopefully AT&T decides to speed up their upgrades.

Update: 11/27/2013

Still only U300 + Unlimited Home Phone

No real issues still. Dreading the annual price increases. The price has gone up by quite a bit since almost 5 years ago.

Line stats at the time of this update:
Downstream Upstream
Max User Rate 59785 kbs Not Available
Noise Margin 19.2 dB Not Available
Attenuation 10.3 dB Not Available
Output Power 14.3 dBm -21.2 dBm

Update: 2/17/14

Have U300(3 receivers) + Unlimited Home Phone + Max Turbo now

Got into another promotion and everything together totals $124. May downgrade to the 200 minute plan.

It's been 5 years now of having U-verse.
Update: 7/28/14

I recently upgraded our broken VIP1200 to an ISB7005 which is must faster. I also downgraded from Max Turbo to Max Plus(getting 23/2). We also downgraded to the 200 minute plan a few months ago. My bill is now $109.

Line stats at the time of the update:

Down/ Up
Max User Rate 60168 kbs Not Available
Noise Margin 19.4 dB Not Available
Attenuation 10.8 dB Not Available
Output Power 14.2 dBm -20.7 dBm
Update: 8/30/14

Since the last review we replaced our second VIP1200 with a ISB7005 and our VIP1225 with a VIP2250.

member for 2.1 years, 1151 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Darknessfall
join:2012-08-17

Update - Data Collected for 15 Hours

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
·magicjack.com

Re: Update - Data Collected for 15 Hours

Good review. Detailed and a good read. My only confusion is why the screenshot with only 15hrs of time? It'd be more helpful with about a week of data collected.
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.

Darknessfall
join:2012-08-17

Re: Update - Data Collected for 15 Hours

said by ImpldConsent:

I just reset my gateway then decided to post it so it was too late . I'll probably post another error table soon to replace it. Still looks the same at the time of this post.

Review by CUBS_FAN See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Having a designated line with solid and steady latency is sight for sore eyes after using Comcast for the past 10 years"
Bad "Nothing yet. Only negative is that my package is rated at 24Mbps download and speed test's show 21 to 22 best. No biggie"
Overall "Smooth connection even while streaming Netflix on the iPad and using 2 wireless connected laptops "

·magicjack.com
·Vonage
Amazing that I placed the order early Friday morning (10/4/2013) at around 1am and had an install date of the next day Saturday morning. Install went smooth and the tech found some "bridging" issue on the line limiting my upload speeds. The installer placed a call to have it fixed. By the time he finished the install the other guy arrived to fix the bridging issue. My upload speeds average at round 2.90Mbps. That's almost exactly what's advertised. 12 month intro at $11.05 off @ 54.95 and $66 thereafter.

8/28/14 - About 10 months later (time fly's so fast) and not experiencing any issues. After 2 months I upgraded to the 45/5 power package and can even get impressive speed tests while connected via WiFi.

Comments:

dallas ebest

@75.1.100.x

double billing

Feb. a year ago my router died. I called to get a new one and was told that me old one was a relic of by gone days and no longer serviced .. had to go the newer verse route I was told it would be less expensive .. first bill arrived about triple of what the old bill was( No note that I was billed for new equipment) second bill arrived -- same thing I called your hot line and was told the problem would be corrected it was never corrected ,, according to my figures you owe me about $700 in overcharges . I have written and phoned but nothing has taken place. I called and cancelled my internet and phone. and told the person I talked to that AT&T could take their bill and service and shove it where the sunshine would never see it again . I have no intention of paying your(Obama type of billing)

Review by CmmTch See Profile

• Location: High Ridge,Jefferson,MO
Good "Ordered on 7-16-12 with DD of 7-20. On 7-20 am it's in and works great."
Bad "Nothing bad"
Overall "Upgraded from Uverse VDSL Pro 3M to 18M. Very happy with the service"

I ordered Uverse HSI 3M Pro self install ($30 per mo, no term, employee) on Monday 7-16-12, internet only, not phone or TV. Was given due date of Fri 7-20-12, received the equipment on 7-18-12, a 2wire 3600HGV 4 port modem/router. The tech showed up at 10am, appointment time was 11a to 1p. He wired at the NID, had to go back to the SAI to fix cross connect from the PG to the VRAD for dial tone both services where up at 10:45am.

I asked him about the "do not connect your modem until 8:00pm on due date" verbiage in the Uverse documentation, he said your connection is up right now and you can set up the modem and register. I did that and used my existing ID to register and all is working great.

Also the tech put a VDSL2/POTS splitter on at the NID for me, I already had a CAT5 homerun for the computer.

8-24-2014 Have upgraded to 18M down (speedtest shows 21.9M down, 1.9M up »www.speedtest.net/index.php) very happy with the service. Also using the wireless from the 3600HGV for a laptop upstairs which is working great too.

member for 12.1 years, 1966 visits, last login: 2 days ago