Pavlov Media page on DSLReports

Review by raerae06985 See Profile

• Location: Carteret,Middlesex,NJ
Good "NOTHING"
Bad "EVERYTHING"
Overall "THE OWNER SHOULD KILL HIMSELF"

Their customer service model is to repeat everything you said which is annoying. Your bill is never correct. They charge your account twice. The service is always out. God forbid if it drizzles a little. This is the worst company in the entire world! I have never gone to such lenghts to wrote reviews for any company. I will post reviews on any website i possibly can for the rest of my life.

Comments:

Review by dslsurfer See Profile

• Location: Jersey City,Hudson,NJ
Good "On the average, it works"
Bad "Customer support, reliability"
Overall "If you don't have options, it's ok"

Here we go. The only reason I'm taking the time to write this is the lackluster experience I just had with the customer rep over chat.

I live in a nice part of town. High-rises and stuff. So I find the following highly annoying.
While PavlovMedia works most of the time, I just can't believe that connectivity completely drops to *nothing*, not even _one_ ICMP packet, when it rains. Now, I'll agree that around here it doesn't rain very often, but when it does, why does it have to take down my internet, I wonder? What year is it? 1986? Oh, wait, it's 2014. I hear we have the technology down by now.

I can't understand why some rain means that I can't continue to work/stream movies/catch up on reading/etc.

So, because I didn't understand, I went online (with my Verizon "MiFi") and started looking at my options to contact PavlovMedia. (While I was doing this on my laptop, I saw that the pings were starting to get acknowledged on my desktop. This will be relevant in a minute.)
I find the "Contact us" page, which has a "chat" option. Great! I proceed to fill in the details to launch the chat session, and I get connected with the rep that handled my question. Oh boy. Little did I know I was in for a treat.
The lady(?) proceeds to write the usual, off-the-book questions, to which I reply that all I was looking for is to know why the rain breaks my connection. I also tell her that I can see it is working now, but that I'd like to know why the rain is a problem, since this has happened multiple times already. So many, in fact, that it has motivated my lazy back to get in touch with them. She takes about 30 seconds, and gets back to me with the oldie-but-goodie "we don't see any disruption to our service, sir". At this point I couldn't help but smile. "So, this is how they cover their backs" I thought to myself. "Ok, but don't you have monitoring in place for past events, even recent ones? I know it is working right now, but it wasn't just a few minutes ago". Her reply was just priceless, and it happens to be the very reason why I've taken half an hour to write this review. She said: "I'm sorry sir, but since your internet is working, I cannot help you with the issue".

Let that sink in for a bit...

I'm in a chat session with my ISP.
Over the internet.
And they tell me "Because you have internet, I cannot help you".
So, from the above, I gather that they are either unable or unwilling to help you with your connectivity problems *after the fact*.
You *must* call them *on the spot*.
Do not hesitate.
Do not try to do anything to fix your connection while you are trying to reach them.
Do not move.
Just call them.
Or, if you are as lucky as I am, use your Internet-Over-Cellphone dongle to try to chat with a rep.
But know, just know, that if your connection happens to come back to life while you are waiting, you will be doomed to the "I cannot help you" dead-end.

So much for customer support.

And thus I left, ranting about whether other ISPs break when it rains, and my options, and such. Thankfully I was presented with a "survey" as I was making my way out, which I promptly proceeded to fill out, marking many items as 'fair', the second-lowest option, when not straight "Unsatisfactory".
I doubt they will read it, though. I went and checked other review sites. Interestingly, glassdoor.com came up. Plenty of little jewels on there, from insiders nonetheless. Highly recommended.
And that's how I got here, the next review site.
And that's how I wrote this.
If you made it this far, I hope you found it useful. I sincerely hope this helps improve the service. Even if not the customer service, at least just the internet service. All I needed was that, the internet service. Which breaks when it rains.

-dslSurfer

Comments:

Review by hdiffly See Profile

• Location: Jersey City,Hudson,NJ
Good "Very Fast & Reliable In Jersey City Apt. Building"
Overall "Not a shared DSL like some Apartments using Pavlov. Blame your Management if your Pavlov service is on DSL."

Living in

Comments:

Review by gbeer11

• Location: East Lansing,Ingham,MI
Good "It's free in my college complex"
Bad "Everything"

Hello! I would like to give a quick review of pavlov in the East Lansing
Michigan area. My large complex (20+ buildings) uses pavlov for their
internet connection, and while the download speeds are tolerable (because it's free) at 2.5 mbps the packet loss and constant disconnections are where they fall short.
Pretty much the only thing they are usable for is casually browsing web
sites. Anything that requires reliability (school work, gaming, youtube,
netflix etc.) don't even dream of.

Overall out of 5 stars i give them 1/2 a star.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

• Location: Tucson,Pima,AZ
Good "NONE"
Bad "EVERYTHING"
Overall "Worst internet experience of my life"

Hi,

I am a student and Northpointe Apartments in Tucson AZ. My complex uses this provider.

They are soo horrible. The internet connection dies during peak hours. You can never stream movies, period. It disconnects regularly, their 1-800 number calls overseas. You will want to commit suicide if you use their service.

My recommendation to potential buyers: "I wouldn't force this shit company on prisoners."

(review was emailed from domain comcast.net)

Comments:

Review by Mongoose46 See Profile

• Location: Simpsonville,Greenville,SC
Good "None"
Bad "Horrible internet service anywhere"
Overall "Avoid like the plague"

I've compiled a huge report of complaints against Pavlov media and will be working to bring this before Mark Scifres himself, the owner of Pavlov media. If anyone would like to support this, please email me at noxthox@hotmail.com or add me on MSN.

Comments:

Review by Leyth See Profile

• Location: Central,Pickens,SC
Good "Fast internet when you're the only one in the apartment using it"
Bad "EVERYTHING"
Overall "Save yourself the money and get dialup, or save yourself the trouble and use a different ISP"

Everyone's reviews are negative and my experience with pavlov wasn't very good either. I figured I would try to contact them and attempt to make some progress with them before I write a review.

First when I moved everyone had a 5.0mbit cap. The internet was practically non-existant during peak hours but nice and fast when not alot of people in the apartment complex was on. Football games, vacations, and weekends helped the internet out. I think they realized the problem and then limited everyone to 750kb/s. In my opinion, that was a great idea and with the bandwidth split up it should let everyone have a stable internet connection. Then the packetloss began. I take a few classes online when I can and I also like to watch and listen to video's and music off of youtube. I game sometimes as well. While doing homework or taking exams the internet would randomly disconnect like every 10 minutes. I've gotten screwed over on 1 exam because of this because the internet would not come back and i ran out of time on an exam i only had 1 attempt for. Pretty rediculous, I constantly have to redo homework because of this connection.

I am a computer technician so i have a good bit of experience with computers and networking. I contacted them letting them know of my knowledge and the issues i'm experiencing. Either way they wanted some test logs for proof. So i ran packetloss tests on the servers they wanted me to run, and it clearly showed packet loss and connection just hanging up. They told me this was an issue at my entire site and they were working on it. That was 3 weeks ago, i sent 1 email back trying to find out if they have been able to address the problem and no reply. I've talked to these guys on the phone before and its a painful process, because these guys are reading right off a sheet of instructions with possibly no technical computer experience. I'm going into the office tommorrow to speak with the management and see if I can talk them into looking into a better solution in providing internet to the apartment complex, or if i have any other choices for ISP in the area.

Comments:

Review by chaser324 See Profile

• Location: Central,Pickens,SC
Good "Just slightly better than no internet connection at all."
Bad "A failure in virtually every way."
Overall "Avoid at all costs!!"

I just want to say that I agree with pretty much all of the other reviews made about Pavlov. I'm living at University Village (Clemson, SC), and they have a contract with Pavlov Media to provide internet service for the entire apartment complex. From the very first day I moved in here, I've had problems.

Lag spikes are a massive problem all day, every day. I would say every 5-10 minutes you are guaranteed to get at least one noticeable spike in the lag. This makes online gaming virtually impossible. Everything will seem fine for a while, and then...the lag comes...and it always comes. This problem carries over into just regular internet surfing as well though. You'll just be looking at stuff online and then all of a sudden everything will come to a screeching halt for a minute or more.

At least once a week you're also pretty much guaranteed to completely lose internet access for a couple of hours. I'm not really sure why, but it seems to always happen. On at least a couple of occasions in the past year, there were times when internet access would be unavailable for an entire day or more. There was also two entire weeks where the connection quality was such complete crap that it may as well have been dead.

As far as download speeds, that's been a variable thing. From the time I moved in up until a few months ago it was pretty much always the case that during high traffic times you would get download bandwidth somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-300 kbps. Unacceptably slow. However during lower traffic times I could get 4-5 Mbps. There was a "fair-share" system in place that was supposed to give less priority to your connection if you downloaded over 500 MB in a 24 hour period, but it didn't really seem to have any real effect. A couple of months ago though the entire situation seems to have changed. It would appear to me that some sort of cap has been placed on downloads that never allow them to get over 1 Mbps. My download speed now tends to always float at right around 600-700 kbps sometimes jumping up to 800-900 kbps during low traffic times. I guess maybe I should be happy about the improved consistency...but I'm not really...it should still be better than this.

As far as customer service...there isn't any real "service". There was one time when I tried interfacing with their customer support (during the two week period mentioned previously where the internet was virtually inaccessible), and this is pretty much how it went. I send an initial e-mail with a thorough explanation of the situation along with the piles of information that they request (pings, traceroutes, various internet bandwidth tests, etc.). A few days later I get a reply that says they aren't aware of any current quality issues in my area, and that in order for them to further assist me I need to answer an entire page or more of general questions. So I begrudgingly answer all of the additional questions that they sent me. I wait an entire week, and never hear any sort of reply. I e-mail them once again. The reply the next day with an e-mail saying that they were sorry for the delay, they are now aware that there is an issue and they are investigating it. A few days later, I get an e-mail from one of the apartment complex admins that the issue has been resolved...and I suppose it was...the internet quality had returned to its previous level of crappiness.

Also one additional complaint I would like to put forth (this one is rather small in comparison to the others) is that I hate ISPs that have these stupid registration web pages that you are forced to view the first time you try to connect a new device. At the very least, if you are going to do this, provide me with an easy way to register additional MAC addresses so that I can easily register devices that don't have a web browser (XBox, PS3, etc.).

Comments:

Review by darkking See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Duval,FL
Good "I would have to make them up"
Bad "UnFREAKING bearable,ive seen dialup faster"
Overall "UTTER %$&* of a CO. I Hope they go down in flames"

promised 3m/768, current..today and they day before and the day before that... 185/600

They pass the buck with excuses,they lie or they just do nothing
Ive given them traceroutes,speedtests and more...NO results
I'm in a new Development and im rallying all the neighbors to get them kicked and replaced with a cable service.

I hope YOU dont choose them....

Comments:

Review by Shripe3 See Profile

• Location: Madison,Dane,WI
Good "None"
Bad "Frequent downtime, horrible service"
Overall "Bigger, local companies are better than this crap"

There were several times this semester where the internet was down for more than 24 hours, including a span of nearly three days in April. The customer service representatives seem somewhat knowledgeable, but it takes them forever to act on a support ticket. It took a lengthy call from the marketing director of the five University House buildings to get any work done. Very unreliable service, and when you have a problem, it takes a lot of time to even tell them to get it fixed.