Colbanet page on DSLReports

Review by johnny5 See Profile

Good "Rien"
Bad "Constamment déconnecté"
Overall "Le pire ISP que j'ai connu"

·ELECTRONICBOX
Le prix (55.33$) inclus le service voip.

Tous les jours, au retour du travail, j'ai du passer de 10 minutes à 1h à tenter de me reconnecter.
Mon matériel n'était pas en cause, j'ai essayé plusieurs router / modems.
Ça prend toujours plusieurs essaie avant que la connexion se fasse au fournisseur.
Pendant les jeux olympiques, certains soir impossible d'avoir une connexion. Mon impression est qu'ils n'ont pas une plage d'adresse IP assez large pour le nombre de clients.

Comments:

Review by Crixox See Profile

• Location: Repentigny,QC

Ok, I admit I am an ex employee of ColbaNet, but I'm also one of their customer, this is not a personnal vandetta against them, but this is how they treat one of my customer (I'm a consultant for a non profit business and they're hosted at Colba) and I really feel like I need to let people know how they treat their customers.

For over a month (early september) we've been having a major issue with the website hosted with ColbaNet, their own mailserver was blocking emails sent from their hosting server. We've been trying to get in touch with them tech support front line explained that I had to send an email so they could forward this to their sysadmin.

That sysadmin never gave any feedback, after a week, I sent a new email asking for some details and when would the problem get fixed. Again, no answer, I sent the email directly to their CEO who replied that since their last sysadmin left (over a year ago) the situation was very difficult with the new one, and that he had no idea what to do to get things fixed... sent that info to the owner who clearly doesn't want to hear about problems his own company is having (problems? there is no such a thing!)

Basically, even if I personnaly know each one of the persons involved in the chain of command ("mr new sysadmin included") they are that unhelpful... can't even imagine how they don't care about customer they don't even know ...

Comments:
Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

not suprised...

I am also a former employee of ColbaNet.

Unfortunately, the management lacks vision and there wasn't anyone in the company who truly understood what a modern ISP is.

The quality of colbanet depends directly therefore on the quality of the staff - so it goes in cycles (good,bad,good,mediocre) because of turnover...

Review by Marc_Richard See Profile

• Location: Laval,QC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "price, service, no bell!!"
Bad "a bit long to schedule an instalation (5 day minimum )"

I'm with Colba Net for now 2 month and i am really happy about their service, i have the fiber-adsl 10/1 with 300go for 38$, really good, nerver had problem and execpt 2 down time for their email no problem with their backoffice. I will be with them for a long time if the service is always good like that.

Thank's Colba Net to made me saving

member for 1 year, 1 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Colba Net
join:2010-08-13
canada

Colba Net

Hi Marc, we are happy to have you as our custumer, we hope you will have the best service and for the best price.

Review by quickdry21 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "price, unlimited bandwidth, no throttle, no bell!"
Bad "customer service"
Overall "If you are within their zone and have line stats suitable for DSL, they are the best choice"

·ELECTRONICBOX
My dry-loop ADSL2+ service was activated yesterday. This is my first time living in Quebec/Montreal, and normally I would go with Teksavvy, but someone on the forums suggested I check out Colbanet, and since I am in their Atwater zone, I decided I would give them a shot. I was quite skeptical, as I gathered some line stats in my buildings, and they were marginally good; I'm in an old apartment building (not grounded/no 3-prong power outlets!) and not very close to the CO (1.25KM as the bird flies).

The signup process epitomized others reviews I have read on DSLR; signup was painful.

1. The rep on the phone was humming and swearing: "shit, oops I didn't mean to do that."

2. I had to repeat much of my information multiple times.

3. I had to ask about their cancellation policy three separate times, after each I was put on hold, only to be taken off as if I had never asked anything.

4. After the ordering process completed, and I was asked if there was anything else, I had to inquire about my installation date, and the answer was "Oh, yeah, you will have to be home between 8 and 5 on the 13th."

5. I was called back the next day, twice, to ask me information I had already provided them. I gave them my birthday twice when I ordered, and they called me twice the next day to ask for it again, along with my Visa information. This delayed my installation an extra day.

6. I was never sent my username/password, a receipt, or any correspondence. I had to call in twice and wait on hold before I was able to login.

Complaints aside, as long as I never have to actually deal with the company again, I'm ecstatic about the ADSL2+. Unlimited bandwidth, no throttle and best of all, no Bell. I prepaid ~$500 for 12 months: $20/month + ~$10/month dry-loop + ~$80 activation.

The installation itself was painless. On the scheduled day, I called them, got my username/password and was connected right away. The technician showed up 4 hours later and I told him I was already hooked up. He never came through the door. I was having issues with a Thomson Speedtouch 516v6 (it was showing an upstream attenuation of -2 and getting half the throughput of my profile/sync). I tried out a branded 2Wire 2701HG-G that I had flashed with unlocked firmware, and magically I was getting throughput of 650KB/s.

Even with questionable line stats, my modem reports a ~6000/450Kbps profile. The upload is half of what I would like, but I assume that is my line's fault, not Colbanet's.

Service with Colbanet feels like a gamble at this point, based off their reviews and my own experience on the phone with them I'm still not very confident prepaying for a year. However, if the connection remains stable it was worth the risk.

UPDATE: After three weeks of service, service has been reliable. I disconnected all the phone lines in my house minus the one serving the DSL (no home phone), and my line quality improved. I'm now getting speed tests consistently 5.7Mbps and 0.70Mbps.

UPDATE 2: I purchased a TP-Link as per a suggestions, and I got an instant 1Mbps downspeed bump. I'm syncing at ~ 7441Mbps now. Still slow compared to cable, but it is much more reliable in terms of speed. I would rather have 7Mbps all day instead of 1Mbps during some times of the day.

UPDATE 1 year later: 1 year prepay will be coming to an end in the coming weeks. Must say reliability has been flawless, no downtime, no problems, just the same old 7Mbps for 12 months.

member for 5.2 years, 929 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cyber_06 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Bad "High ping, bad speed, bad suport."

·FreePhoneLine
I get Colbanet service 2 weeks ago and I was promised service ADSL2+ with speed 8 to 9 Mbps however what I got was only 2Mbps or less.

I called tech support and they, right away without checking anything, blamed the line and asked me if they can send Bell Tech to check it. After next day they contacting me telling me that Bell Tech checked the line and phone nothing is wrong with it so I have to pay them $100 because they are innocent and it is my mistake to have only 2Mbps for the unknown reason even though the week before I had DSL internet with Acanac with more than 3 Mbps!

I got charged $100 without even fixing their problem!

Their tech manager Jean-Francois is useless to talk to... He doesn't understand anything what service means and that they should provide the customers with what they promised. He keeps talking about their modem which you bought from them as your responsibility to troubleshoot and figure out and they only give you the line good to your building ( not even your apartment).

It is a big fraud.... I recommend to stay away, there is so many other better customer and tech services out there.

member for 9.7 years, 659 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Jodio See Profile

Good "They pretend nice to get your money before you pay"
Bad "They are savages!"
Overall "For god sake stay away!!!!!!"

I paid them for ADSL2+ on july , till now, I still can not use it.

They didn't send any technician , when I asked they said it's bell's problem. I took one day off losing 200buck of income, not a single bird showed up. The guy call georges can say anything you wanna to hear to get your money, even promised there will be the technician to come ABSOLUTELY. But the next day he's like "I don't give a shit! you can cancel your orders. "

But after I canceled it , they are not giving u the activation fee back.!!!! I lost more then 250 buck on this shit!!

STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

update: they said they gonna give my money back. But I don't know how long will it take....

Comments:
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

Do you know where you live?

You have Centurytel as Telco partner.For your info they have Nothing to do with Canada
Jodio

join:2012-08-04
·Colbanet

Re: Do you know where you live?

Do you get the point?

This Forums is about ISP , not where do people live.

Centurytel probably pop up when I was trying to type 'Colba' ,drop menu short-cut 'c', hope you'll be able to figure it out...........

PS. there's a game called ‘Come to nit-pick everybody’, might fits u perfectly

Review by mlimtl See Profile

Good "no download cap"
Bad "Really poor tech support, VOIP not always working"
Overall "Run, Forest, run ! They are the Mickey Mouse of all the telco I know"

First of all, don't mind what they advertise, you need to pays over $800 to get internet and VOIP, if not, the monthly price isn't even competitive.

Their service is the worst, I'm a sysadmin and their answers for all my problems make me bang my head against the wall. They use Asterisk for there voip and only one of there guy know how it's work in Montreal so if you have a problem, wish that it happens on week day.

The price seems good at first but now that I have to go back to Bell or Videotron, I will have to fight with Colbanet to get my money back. Really bad technical service !!!

Comments:

Review by GrumpyGuy See Profile

Good "Reliable, no DL cap, decent speed, offers IP television, great price"
Bad "IP television service lacks fancy stuff"
Overall "Good quality/price ratio. Worth it if you live near telco central."

I had to find a new ISP since my cable company stopped offering services (TV + internet). My appt is roughly 750m from colbanet telco so it seemed like it was worth a try despite the mixed reviews, even more so because they were introducing a new IPTV service.

I pay 46,90$ (ADSL2+ and IP television) + 9,95 dry loop per month plus tax. Activation was 70$ + 18$ for dry loop. The 65$ price in the header includes taxes.

The ordering process went smoothly. When you call to order the ADSL2+ service, they give you an estimation of the speed that you should expect. For me it was 10 Mbps. Appointment to install the dry loop with Bell was the following week (between 8 am an 6 pm, and of course the guy never shows up at 8 am...). The service was up and running as soon as the bell tech did his thingy.

I signed up for internet only first, for one month, to avoid being stuck with a 1 year contract if the service was not satisfactory. They said that I could switch to the one year contract whenever I would like.

I didn't buy their modem, I had a 2wire 2700hg-b (branded At&t, with singtel firmware 5.?? ) lying around, and it worked fine. I had it setup in bridge mode and I use a Netgear WNR3500L running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/16/11) vpnkong - build 18010M, as the PPPoE client, since it is a better router (gigabit, more options) than the 2wire 100/10Mbps router.

So far, so good. I'm getting fairly consistent speed and there was only one outage that lasted a few hours, but they sent a warning email the week before, saying that they would be doing maintenance during that night.

Speed and line stats, using new modem Zhone 6518 (which I had to buy from them eventually, see below for explaination).
Approximate speedtest averages:
Output Power (dBm): 19,7 -8
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 10544 1285
Rate (Kbps): 10616 1018

2wire 2700hg-b
Downstream Rate Cap: 18004 kbps (was, at first, 22500)
Sync rate (Down/UP) 8269/945 Kbps
SNR: 12 (was 8 when I was using this modem and not the zhone 6518)
Downstream Atten. at 300kHz: 13.3 dB
Excessive Impulse Noise: 0 Ok
Impulse noise protection: 1.12
Delay of latency path: 14.26 ms
Output pwr (Down/UP): 17.5/10.9

When I first got the Zhone modem, which I needed for IPTV, I was getting speeds around 15Mbps DL 1,2Mbps UL for the first day (with, in consequence a lower SNR around 7-8dB, which is what I had with the 2wire modem) and the sp. But then, the following day, it dropped to the speed which I'm reporting now.

Which makes me wonder, are they adjusting customers line profile to keep a 10Mbps cap on their 24Mbps max advertised service??? That would not be cool, and it will be an eventual deal breaker, if it turns out to be the case.

Anyways, I figured the service was reliable enough so that I would sign up for IPTV. When you only get the ADSL2+ service, you have to sign up for one year if you want to get their 19,99$ a month deal. But it turns out that if you get IPTV+DSL, you get to have that 46,95$/month (plus dry loop) deal for both without having to sign up for a whole year. So I called and picked up an Amino a140 set-top box (150 bucks) at their office the same day. They told me that it wouldn't work if I didn't use their modem/router, without really being able to explain why, so I also got the Zhone 6518 (109$), considering that I could return it within 30 days if it turned out that I didn't need it. So at the Colba office they preconfigure the Zhone modem to be the PPPoE client and they set it up so that the IPTV multicast stream is output through the 4th LAN port of the modem/router, and instruct you to hook-up the set-top box directly in that port, leaving the other 3 available for network devices. If that setup is suitable for you, it's gonna work right out of the box. Otherwise it could turn out to be a big PITA if you're planning to hook things up differently and intergrate the IPTV thing in your home network like I did.

The TV service was functional the next day. One major disapointment is that there is no on screen programming guide. The software in the set-top box (STB) is pretty basic and leaves much room for improvement. The picture quality is pretty decent, although, i must admit, not as good on HD channels as other cable services like Bell or Videotron. There is some slight but noticeable blurring when there is a lot of movement. However, it is excellent if I compare it to the analog cable I had before. The STB's max resolution is 720p. Be aware that it only comes with a component RGB cable so I had to get another HDMI cable.

This is the software and interface that runs on the set-top box: »www.netup.tv/en-EN/stb_client.php

The IPTV stream, when the TV is on, uses up to 6Mbps (constant). So that bandwith is unavailable for other internet use when you are watching TV. Since it's based on multicasting IP packets, I presume that having more than one TV hooked-up would not use anymore bandwidth.

So overall, considering the price, both internet and TV services are pretty decent. I cannot comment much on tech support, I prefered to figure things out by myself, because, as they admitted themselves, the IPTV thing is pretty new to them as well. As a result, they are not yet very familiar with the technical issues. Hopefully, I'll be able to figure out whether they are actually capping the download speeds, or if the system is just reacting to variable line conditions the way it's supposed to.

I got the TV thing to work through my existing network after doing some obscure and definitely not user-friendly dd-wrt router witchcraft. I will post that somewhere eventually.

Comments:
nabil

join:2012-05-24

how...?

Do you mean you figured out how to use IPTV using your 2wire modem and a dd-wrt router? How did you manage to do that? do you know where I could find instructions? That's exactly what I intend to do!

Thanks for your help and your great review!

Biz

@videotron.ca

Re: how...?

I'm also interested in these instructions... My plan is to bypass the set-top box entirely and get the stream working inside XBMC somehow.

Review by GuyLeger See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Reasonable cost, No limit to download, good average speed (7-8 Mbps)"
Bad "Frequent connexion drops due to Zhone 1518 router/modem"

Opting for a DSL (ADSL2+) connexion vs cable is like buying a Loto ticket. If everything turns fine you are fine but if you have even one single problem your nearly done. Colbanet looks at the signal quality and if it shows ok they get stuked with phone line length between house outlet and modem... or they say that the problem is on local company side (Bell Canada in my case). They may ask the Bell technician to go for a check, which will cost 100$ if Bell says everything is fine with them... As in my case, I contracted with VoIP phone line you can imagine what will be the interest of Bell Canada! So you are in between two parties that put the fault to each other.

I thus had the upsetting issue of frequent connexion drops (4-10 times a day) which means that apart from not having internet, I had no phone service!

It is not easy to try to finetune the router/modem as they warn that if you mess the configuration, they will charge 20$ for a reconfiguration. Colba tech didn't even want to let me know the router's IP address so to have a look at the configuration. They don't want you to solely change the SSID name...

What I did : I dared buy another brand router/modem : TP-Link TD-W8960N and I configured it with the exact same parameters found on the Zhone 1518A router/modem as can be seen with the modem IP address 192.168.1.1.

And what ?? It readily connected to internet and I since it is connected (6 days) I had
0 connexion drop and so for the phone service.

Too bad they charged my 125$ (taxes included) for the poor Zhone router. But it is still a lot cheaper than Videotron.

Comments:

Review by Kiba See Profile

Good "Price"
Bad "Speed"
Overall "Stay Away"

I got charged $100 without even fixing their problem!