Colbanet page on DSLReports

Review by johnny5 See Profile

Good "Rien"
Bad "Constamment déconnecté"
Overall "Le pire ISP que j'ai connu"

·ELECTRONICBOX
Le prix (55.33$) inclus le service voip.

Tous les jours, au retour du travail, j'ai du passer de 10 minutes à 1h à tenter de me reconnecter.
Mon matériel n'était pas en cause, j'ai essayé plusieurs router / modems.
Ça prend toujours plusieurs essaie avant que la connexion se fasse au fournisseur.
Pendant les jeux olympiques, certains soir impossible d'avoir une connexion. Mon impression est qu'ils n'ont pas une plage d'adresse IP assez large pour le nombre de clients.

Comments:

Review by Crixox See Profile

• Location: Repentigny,QC

Ok, I admit I am an ex employee of ColbaNet, but I'm also one of their customer, this is not a personnal vandetta against them, but this is how they treat one of my customer (I'm a consultant for a non profit business and they're hosted at Colba) and I really feel like I need to let people know how they treat their customers.

For over a month (early september) we've been having a major issue with the website hosted with ColbaNet, their own mailserver was blocking emails sent from their hosting server. We've been trying to get in touch with them tech support front line explained that I had to send an email so they could forward this to their sysadmin.

That sysadmin never gave any feedback, after a week, I sent a new email asking for some details and when would the problem get fixed. Again, no answer, I sent the email directly to their CEO who replied that since their last sysadmin left (over a year ago) the situation was very difficult with the new one, and that he had no idea what to do to get things fixed... sent that info to the owner who clearly doesn't want to hear about problems his own company is having (problems? there is no such a thing!)

Basically, even if I personnaly know each one of the persons involved in the chain of command ("mr new sysadmin included") they are that unhelpful... can't even imagine how they don't care about customer they don't even know ...

Comments:
Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe

not suprised...

I am also a former employee of ColbaNet.

Unfortunately, the management lacks vision and there wasn't anyone in the company who truly understood what a modern ISP is.

The quality of colbanet depends directly therefore on the quality of the staff - so it goes in cycles (good,bad,good,mediocre) because of turnover...

Review by Jodio See Profile

Good "They pretend nice to get your money before you pay"
Bad "They are savages!"
Overall "For god sake stay away!!!!!!"

I paid them for ADSL2+ on july , till now, I still can not use it.

They didn't send any technician , when I asked they said it's bell's problem. I took one day off losing 200buck of income, not a single bird showed up. The guy call georges can say anything you wanna to hear to get your money, even promised there will be the technician to come ABSOLUTELY. But the next day he's like "I don't give a shit! you can cancel your orders. "

But after I canceled it , they are not giving u the activation fee back.!!!! I lost more then 250 buck on this shit!!

STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

update: they said they gonna give my money back. But I don't know how long will it take....

Comments:
BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

Do you know where you live?

You have Centurytel as Telco partner.For your info they have Nothing to do with Canada
Jodio

join:2012-08-04

Re: Do you know where you live?

Do you get the point?

This Forums is about ISP , not where do people live.

Centurytel probably pop up when I was trying to type 'Colba' ,drop menu short-cut 'c', hope you'll be able to figure it out...........

PS. there's a game called ‘Come to nit-pick everybody’, might fits u perfectly

Review by mlimtl See Profile

Good "no download cap"
Bad "Really poor tech support, VOIP not always working"
Overall "Run, Forest, run ! They are the Mickey Mouse of all the telco I know"

First of all, don't mind what they advertise, you need to pays over $800 to get internet and VOIP, if not, the monthly price isn't even competitive.

Their service is the worst, I'm a sysadmin and their answers for all my problems make me bang my head against the wall. They use Asterisk for there voip and only one of there guy know how it's work in Montreal so if you have a problem, wish that it happens on week day.

The price seems good at first but now that I have to go back to Bell or Videotron, I will have to fight with Colbanet to get my money back. Really bad technical service !!!

Comments:

Review by Kiba See Profile

Good "Price"
Bad "Speed"
Overall "Stay Away"

I get Colbanet service 2 weeks ago and I was promised service ADSL2+ with speed 8 to 9 Mbps however what I got was only 2Mbps or less.

I called tech support and they, right away without checking anything, blamed the line and asked me if they can send Bell Tech to check it. After next day they contacting me telling me that Bell Tech checked the line and phone nothing is wrong with it so I have to pay them $100 because they are innocent and it is my mistake to have only 2Mbps for the unknown reason even though the week before I had DSL internet with Acanac with more than 3 Mbps!

I got charged $100 without even fixing their problem!

Their tech manager Jean-Francois is useless to talk to... He doesn't understand anything what service means and that they should provide the customers with what they promised. He keeps talking about their modem which you bought from them as your responsibility to troubleshoot and figure out and they only give you the line good to your building ( not even your apartment).

It is a big fraud.... I recommend to stay away, there is so many other better customer and tech services out there.

Comments:

Review by SRad See Profile

• Location: h2x2b
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Service"
Overall "STAY AWAY from this company"

I have been a customer for about two months now. Recently my modem
doesn't detect the DSL signal. I called Colba and they told me that if
they investigate the problem and the problem is "proved to be the
equipment inside
the house (telephone wiring, plugs, filters ADSL Modem computer, or
any other problem has proved inside the house.) $87.70 fee will
apply". Is that even legal? Should I ask my landlord to pay it if it's
from the building wiring?

Comments:

Review by Guspaz See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "They didn't beat me with baseball bats."
Bad "Everything, primarily that nobody in the area ever got working service."
Overall "They're probably some sort of money-laundering operation"

First, as a note, the only thing that went relatively well was the installation. There was some confusion as to when the Bell tech would come, but at least he came without too many delays. However, other than that, nothing else about the experience was anything the worst:

- The sign-up process involved calling a number, waiting on hold, speaking to a person at a callcentre whose only job is to take our name and number so that a REAL employee can call us back.

- They promised 24-mbit service, provided 0.3mbit service, a problem experienced by everybody on the CO/neighbourhood

- The issues were not isolated, but widespread, affecting everyone on their DSLAM at the CO

- Their tech support was unreachable, causing (me) to waste $30-40 on cellphone charges. Call them, wait on hold for 20 minutes, get sent to voicemail, leave a message, never get called back. Ever. At least other people probably only lost the time and not the money like I did.

- When you did manage to reach their tech support, they barely spoke English, were incompetent (kept telling us our poor performance was an issue with the e-mail server, which is insane), and lied (every day for at least two weeks they claimed it would be fixed the next day)

- Their staff disappeared from DSLR right after they signed the lot of us up, and hasn't been heard from since

- They charged us $80 for modems with an MSRP of $35

- Apparently, in addition to their broken equipment in the CO, their actual transit links are oversaturated

- Invoices, bills, and documentation for the service arrived from a completely different company without any explanation or warning.

- Canceling the service was an AOL-like nightmare, with them refusing to allow cancellation via phone, requiring e-mail (even though it was from gmail). Some of their contact e-mail addresses returned account-not-found errors. They then proceeded to ignore the cancellation e-mails. I only managed to cancel my service after mail-bombing every single e-mail address I could find on their English site, their French site (the two sites have different contact info), and the mysterious "other" company's site. They were then so confusing in their lack of English comprehension that they had me convinced that they intended to charge me for the next months' service even though I was still halfway through the first month when I canceled.

- Most of these issues were not isolated to just me, but experienced by all other Colba customers in the area. Most of us signed up about the same time, and canceled about the same time.

In short, they seem to be some sort of scam ring or money laundering operation. We're not sure, but obviously no company that provides this level of customer service could still be in business, so there must be something else going on here.

Avoid this ISP at all costs. The fact that I can rate them "worst" score 1 for almost every category and DSLR will say "ratings match consensus" should tell you something.

member for 12.8 years, 3454 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by uncle62 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Polite Customer Service"
Bad "ADSL2+ (Max Speed 600 kbps) Customer Service Lie and Lie"
Overall "Don't Sign Up With Colbanet - You'll Be Sorry"

On August 29th, 2007 Colbanet switched me from ADSL to ADSL2+. The same day my INTERNET SERVICE PROCEEDED TO BE DISCONNECTED FOR 14 DAYS! The worst part was trying to get a hold of the technical support personnel. I would be on the line for 30 minutes until their automated answering service instructed me to leave a message and that my call would be returned in priority. Try up to 36 hours later for a response on avergae 24 hours later. And when I did get through to a tech person, they reassured me each day that the problem would be resolved within 24 hrs. The truth was 24 hrs times 14 days.

Now that I am finally connected via ADSL2+ my download/upload speed, which I have checked with numerous speed test sites before and after the changes, has decreased from 1500 kbps to a maximum of 600 kbps and all this on the ADSL2+. When I mentioned this to the tech support they said they knew of the problem and it would be fixed shortly. That was 10 days ago and no one has called back since.

Summary:

The ADSL2+ offered by Colbanet is a total bust. In the NDG area of Montreal, it's just 10 times faster than regular dial-up speed. Their tech support are dishonest, and the company doesn't care about their clients, at least ones with major problems. The low download speed of 600 kbps persists and I still get the standard answer each time I call that the problem will be fixed in a few days and that was 10 days ago. If you call the tech support expect to be on the line listening to the annoying customer service message, "Your call is very important to us, please stay on the line and the customer service representative will be with you shortly." Again, what a lie! Don't choose Colbanet, you'll be sorry.

Comments:

Review by wisechild See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "I can check my email! Yay!"
Bad "Forget ADSL2+, you're lucky to get a reliable 5Mbps"
Overall "Make sure they have what ADSL2+ in your area from some1 you know, don't trust the rep"

»/speak/slidesh···MA%3D%3D

The picture above was taken while connected directly at the demarc. Enuff said. If not, well here's my little Colba.net story.

Joined their ADSL2+ in January 2007. Had 5Mbps.

30 calls to their tech support and 2-3 months later. Not a single change. All stories and lies. I've been a tech support before as well, I am a very empathic person, but even for me that was too much.

Decided to post in this forum, that finally grabbed their attention. Gerhard here helped, at least he tried. Did a few tweaks on their side, connection got worse, he undone the tweak. Emails back and forth. Got a Bell tech to finally come, tech said he fixed a short circuit then left: only my upload was a bit better but that's it. Gerhard even came to my house, couldn't fix it, but he raised the possibility that my old wiring could be the culprit.

At that point for some reason I dropped to 3Mbps, tweaks on or off didn't matter. The problem got assigned to Michael who had to schedule another Bell tech to come and test the connection on my De-marc. He opened tickets after tickets but no Bell tech ever came. Michael says the Bell guys doesn't understand what he wants. This paragraph took another 3 months...

Come today June 28th. My legendary patience just ran out. Called Bell, they say it cost 100$ to change a de-marc (mine doesn't have a phone jack). So I took a knife and gutted my phone wire into 2, brought a laptop, their crappy ADSL2+ modem and the powerline right next to the demarc on the 2nd floor balcony. Sorted through the wires and plugged it all in. Behold, SAME crappy connection (see picture)! My wiring is good, all the tests on Bell side are OK, the problem is with Colba.net

28th June: Now trying to cancel and get a refund. I will post back the result. I'll try Acanac next.

Now 19th July: Still can't get a deactivation going. Just when I finally get to speak to a human, everyone is on vacation it says. Just great.

End of my story.

I just learned a few days ago that a co-worker of mine switched to Colba.net as well. He only have 5Mbps also. There is no problem with his location, we checked with the map. The support guy told him that some profile somewhere needs to be changed and that they are on it. My poor co-worker is still buying all that bull... The beginning of another story?

Edit 19th July: no big surprise there, my coworker still stuck with "just" 5Mbps. I envy him. That says a lot.

Edit: 10 minutes later:
They just called me again saying that I will get a full refund on August 1st if I return the modem. I'll have to call again tomorrow for the deactivation date. Let's wait and see if they keep their promises this time.

Last Edit: 24 August
I got my check for a full refund 2 days ago. It better not bounce! There's one good person at Colba call Ginette she did keep her word. In retrospect although it was definitively Colba fault I was unlucky as well for a few things... Anyways, I'm happy with Acanac 5MB now, full speed no problems.

Comments:

Review by sp33d_fr3ak See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (month by month)