Colbanet page on DSLReports

Review by Marc_Richard See Profile

• Location: Laval,QC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "price, service, no bell!!"
Bad "a bit long to schedule an instalation (5 day minimum )"

I'm with Colba Net for now 2 month and i am really happy about their service, i have the fiber-adsl 10/1 with 300go for 38$, really good, nerver had problem and execpt 2 down time for their email no problem with their backoffice. I will be with them for a long time if the service is always good like that.

Thank's Colba Net to made me saving

Comments:

Colba Net
join:2010-08-13
canada

Colba Net

Hi Marc, we are happy to have you as our custumer, we hope you will have the best service and for the best price.

Review by quickdry21 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "price, unlimited bandwidth, no throttle, no bell!"
Bad "customer service"
Overall "If you are within their zone and have line stats suitable for DSL, they are the best choice"

·ELECTRONICBOX
My dry-loop ADSL2+ service was activated yesterday. This is my first time living in Quebec/Montreal, and normally I would go with Teksavvy, but someone on the forums suggested I check out Colbanet, and since I am in their Atwater zone, I decided I would give them a shot. I was quite skeptical, as I gathered some line stats in my buildings, and they were marginally good; I'm in an old apartment building (not grounded/no 3-prong power outlets!) and not very close to the CO (1.25KM as the bird flies).

The signup process epitomized others reviews I have read on DSLR; signup was painful.

1. The rep on the phone was humming and swearing: "shit, oops I didn't mean to do that."

2. I had to repeat much of my information multiple times.

3. I had to ask about their cancellation policy three separate times, after each I was put on hold, only to be taken off as if I had never asked anything.

4. After the ordering process completed, and I was asked if there was anything else, I had to inquire about my installation date, and the answer was "Oh, yeah, you will have to be home between 8 and 5 on the 13th."

5. I was called back the next day, twice, to ask me information I had already provided them. I gave them my birthday twice when I ordered, and they called me twice the next day to ask for it again, along with my Visa information. This delayed my installation an extra day.

6. I was never sent my username/password, a receipt, or any correspondence. I had to call in twice and wait on hold before I was able to login.

Complaints aside, as long as I never have to actually deal with the company again, I'm ecstatic about the ADSL2+. Unlimited bandwidth, no throttle and best of all, no Bell. I prepaid ~$500 for 12 months: $20/month + ~$10/month dry-loop + ~$80 activation.

The installation itself was painless. On the scheduled day, I called them, got my username/password and was connected right away. The technician showed up 4 hours later and I told him I was already hooked up. He never came through the door. I was having issues with a Thomson Speedtouch 516v6 (it was showing an upstream attenuation of -2 and getting half the throughput of my profile/sync). I tried out a branded 2Wire 2701HG-G that I had flashed with unlocked firmware, and magically I was getting throughput of 650KB/s.

Even with questionable line stats, my modem reports a ~6000/450Kbps profile. The upload is half of what I would like, but I assume that is my line's fault, not Colbanet's.

Service with Colbanet feels like a gamble at this point, based off their reviews and my own experience on the phone with them I'm still not very confident prepaying for a year. However, if the connection remains stable it was worth the risk.

UPDATE: After three weeks of service, service has been reliable. I disconnected all the phone lines in my house minus the one serving the DSL (no home phone), and my line quality improved. I'm now getting speed tests consistently 5.7Mbps and 0.70Mbps.

UPDATE 2: I purchased a TP-Link as per a suggestions, and I got an instant 1Mbps downspeed bump. I'm syncing at ~ 7441Mbps now. Still slow compared to cable, but it is much more reliable in terms of speed. I would rather have 7Mbps all day instead of 1Mbps during some times of the day.

UPDATE 1 year later: 1 year prepay will be coming to an end in the coming weeks. Must say reliability has been flawless, no downtime, no problems, just the same old 7Mbps for 12 months.

Comments:

Review by cyber_06 See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Bad "High ping, bad speed, bad suport."

I get Colbanet service 2 weeks ago and I was promised service ADSL2+ with speed 8 to 9 Mbps however what I got was only 2Mbps or less.

I called tech support and they, right away without checking anything, blamed the line and asked me if they can send Bell Tech to check it. After next day they contacting me telling me that Bell Tech checked the line and phone nothing is wrong with it so I have to pay them $100 because they are innocent and it is my mistake to have only 2Mbps for the unknown reason even though the week before I had DSL internet with Acanac with more than 3 Mbps!

I got charged $100 without even fixing their problem!

Their tech manager Jean-Francois is useless to talk to... He doesn't understand anything what service means and that they should provide the customers with what they promised. He keeps talking about their modem which you bought from them as your responsibility to troubleshoot and figure out and they only give you the line good to your building ( not even your apartment).

It is a big fraud.... I recommend to stay away, there is so many other better customer and tech services out there.

member for 10.1 years, 794 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by GrumpyGuy See Profile

Good "Reliable, no DL cap, decent speed, offers IP television, great price"
Bad "IP television service lacks fancy stuff"
Overall "Good quality/price ratio. Worth it if you live near telco central."

I had to find a new ISP since my cable company stopped offering services (TV + internet). My appt is roughly 750m from colbanet telco so it seemed like it was worth a try despite the mixed reviews, even more so because they were introducing a new IPTV service.

I pay 46,90$ (ADSL2+ and IP television) + 9,95 dry loop per month plus tax. Activation was 70$ + 18$ for dry loop. The 65$ price in the header includes taxes.

The ordering process went smoothly. When you call to order the ADSL2+ service, they give you an estimation of the speed that you should expect. For me it was 10 Mbps. Appointment to install the dry loop with Bell was the following week (between 8 am an 6 pm, and of course the guy never shows up at 8 am...). The service was up and running as soon as the bell tech did his thingy.

I signed up for internet only first, for one month, to avoid being stuck with a 1 year contract if the service was not satisfactory. They said that I could switch to the one year contract whenever I would like.

I didn't buy their modem, I had a 2wire 2700hg-b (branded At&t, with singtel firmware 5.?? ) lying around, and it worked fine. I had it setup in bridge mode and I use a Netgear WNR3500L running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/16/11) vpnkong - build 18010M, as the PPPoE client, since it is a better router (gigabit, more options) than the 2wire 100/10Mbps router.

So far, so good. I'm getting fairly consistent speed and there was only one outage that lasted a few hours, but they sent a warning email the week before, saying that they would be doing maintenance during that night.

Speed and line stats, using new modem Zhone 6518 (which I had to buy from them eventually, see below for explaination).
Approximate speedtest averages:
Output Power (dBm): 19,7 -8
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 10544 1285
Rate (Kbps): 10616 1018

2wire 2700hg-b
Downstream Rate Cap: 18004 kbps (was, at first, 22500)
Sync rate (Down/UP) 8269/945 Kbps
SNR: 12 (was 8 when I was using this modem and not the zhone 6518)
Downstream Atten. at 300kHz: 13.3 dB
Excessive Impulse Noise: 0 Ok
Impulse noise protection: 1.12
Delay of latency path: 14.26 ms
Output pwr (Down/UP): 17.5/10.9

When I first got the Zhone modem, which I needed for IPTV, I was getting speeds around 15Mbps DL 1,2Mbps UL for the first day (with, in consequence a lower SNR around 7-8dB, which is what I had with the 2wire modem) and the sp. But then, the following day, it dropped to the speed which I'm reporting now.

Which makes me wonder, are they adjusting customers line profile to keep a 10Mbps cap on their 24Mbps max advertised service??? That would not be cool, and it will be an eventual deal breaker, if it turns out to be the case.

Anyways, I figured the service was reliable enough so that I would sign up for IPTV. When you only get the ADSL2+ service, you have to sign up for one year if you want to get their 19,99$ a month deal. But it turns out that if you get IPTV+DSL, you get to have that 46,95$/month (plus dry loop) deal for both without having to sign up for a whole year. So I called and picked up an Amino a140 set-top box (150 bucks) at their office the same day. They told me that it wouldn't work if I didn't use their modem/router, without really being able to explain why, so I also got the Zhone 6518 (109$), considering that I could return it within 30 days if it turned out that I didn't need it. So at the Colba office they preconfigure the Zhone modem to be the PPPoE client and they set it up so that the IPTV multicast stream is output through the 4th LAN port of the modem/router, and instruct you to hook-up the set-top box directly in that port, leaving the other 3 available for network devices. If that setup is suitable for you, it's gonna work right out of the box. Otherwise it could turn out to be a big PITA if you're planning to hook things up differently and intergrate the IPTV thing in your home network like I did.

The TV service was functional the next day. One major disapointment is that there is no on screen programming guide. The software in the set-top box (STB) is pretty basic and leaves much room for improvement. The picture quality is pretty decent, although, i must admit, not as good on HD channels as other cable services like Bell or Videotron. There is some slight but noticeable blurring when there is a lot of movement. However, it is excellent if I compare it to the analog cable I had before. The STB's max resolution is 720p. Be aware that it only comes with a component RGB cable so I had to get another HDMI cable.

This is the software and interface that runs on the set-top box: »www.netup.tv/en-EN/stb_client.php

The IPTV stream, when the TV is on, uses up to 6Mbps (constant). So that bandwith is unavailable for other internet use when you are watching TV. Since it's based on multicasting IP packets, I presume that having more than one TV hooked-up would not use anymore bandwidth.

So overall, considering the price, both internet and TV services are pretty decent. I cannot comment much on tech support, I prefered to figure things out by myself, because, as they admitted themselves, the IPTV thing is pretty new to them as well. As a result, they are not yet very familiar with the technical issues. Hopefully, I'll be able to figure out whether they are actually capping the download speeds, or if the system is just reacting to variable line conditions the way it's supposed to.

I got the TV thing to work through my existing network after doing some obscure and definitely not user-friendly dd-wrt router witchcraft. I will post that somewhere eventually.

Comments:
nabil

join:2012-05-24

how...?

Do you mean you figured out how to use IPTV using your 2wire modem and a dd-wrt router? How did you manage to do that? do you know where I could find instructions? That's exactly what I intend to do!

Thanks for your help and your great review!

Biz

@videotron.ca

Re: how...?

I'm also interested in these instructions... My plan is to bypass the set-top box entirely and get the stream working inside XBMC somehow.

Review by GuyLeger See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Reasonable cost, No limit to download, good average speed (7-8 Mbps)"
Bad "Frequent connexion drops due to Zhone 1518 router/modem"

Opting for a DSL (ADSL2+) connexion vs cable is like buying a Loto ticket. If everything turns fine you are fine but if you have even one single problem your nearly done. Colbanet looks at the signal quality and if it shows ok they get stuked with phone line length between house outlet and modem... or they say that the problem is on local company side (Bell Canada in my case). They may ask the Bell technician to go for a check, which will cost 100$ if Bell says everything is fine with them... As in my case, I contracted with VoIP phone line you can imagine what will be the interest of Bell Canada! So you are in between two parties that put the fault to each other.

I thus had the upsetting issue of frequent connexion drops (4-10 times a day) which means that apart from not having internet, I had no phone service!

It is not easy to try to finetune the router/modem as they warn that if you mess the configuration, they will charge 20$ for a reconfiguration. Colba tech didn't even want to let me know the router's IP address so to have a look at the configuration. They don't want you to solely change the SSID name...

What I did : I dared buy another brand router/modem : TP-Link TD-W8960N and I configured it with the exact same parameters found on the Zhone 1518A router/modem as can be seen with the modem IP address 192.168.1.1.

And what ?? It readily connected to internet and I since it is connected (6 days) I had
0 connexion drop and so for the phone service.

Too bad they charged my 125$ (taxes included) for the poor Zhone router. But it is still a lot cheaper than Videotron.

Comments:

Review by rkml See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "ADSL2+ with Annex M and G.BOND!, Price, Level 2 Support, Unlimited, No Bell (other than Dry Loop due to Monopoly)."
Bad "Tech Support (unless it is level 2), Account Activation Fee for second line?"
Overall "If you are in the 2+ Zone, Great Alternative for Telco/CableCo Haters."

Hi All,

We run 2 ADSL2+ lines with Colba. We had problems at the start where our DSL line quality was not good and had to get about 3-4 dry loops to test the quality of the lines. Eventually we settled with 2 ADSL2+ lines.

Currently we are using ADSL2+ with G.BOND, on the ATM level, the DSL Lines are combined to double the speed. I am 3.8km away from the CO with the following stats:
Link Power State: L0
Down Up
SNR (dB): 12.4 5.7
Attn(dB): 45.5 26.0
Pwr(dBm): 19.5 0.6
Max(Kbps): 8204 1339 (This is only one line of the 2 pairs that are connected)
Rate (Kbps): 5151 975 (This is only one line of the 2 pairs that are connected)

Here is my speedtest results. »speedtest.net/result/1575324221.png
Getting 11.44Mb/s down and 1.58 Mb/s up!!!
Using a Zhone 6228-I2-200 DSL modem/Wireless Router.

I was getting problems with lines losing data/delaying traffic because my SNR was around 5.5-6.0 dBm, I reconfigured each line to approximately 12dBm and after 24 hours, the DSL lines have cleared themselves up and I have no more further problems.

The one thing that we are still waiting is for Annex M to be turned on. Problem is, the tech who can turn it on is unreachable from the support desk. Waiting patiently.

All in all, we are extremely pleased with their service and have been recommending their services to many people.

• Location: H4B
Good "high internet speed, no-limit"
Bad "some of the customer service reps"
Overall "Good price for high speed and no limit"

Hi,
this is a review of Colbanet Customer Service mainly Francois - customer service representative.

I want to complain about a stupid response from Colbanet customer service rep.

I am a satisfied DSL user for more than 3 years. I am with Colbanet for 2 months - no problems, high internet speed 8 Mbps "stable-ish". Last week sept. 24, 2011, my internet connection started to crash every few minutes. I don't know how it works during the day (i am at work), but at nights and early mornings it is terrible. On the modem the internet/dsl light is off every few minutes; the modem home page shows the service down.
I called them today, Saturday Oct 1st (this was the first time I could call them during their working hours) and the tech guy, Francois - as he presented himself, asked me how long is my cable from the jack to the modem. It is 5 m and he said it is way too long, it should be 2 m (what about the tens of meters in the walls?). He didn't even check anything - logs or what they have there. When I asked to talk to someone else he said he is the only one there during the weekend. I used other ISP's with the same configuration and never had any problems.

Satisfaction scale:
Colbanet internet: 4/5 (because of this week disconnection and NO SOLUTION yet)
Customer service - Francois tech guy: 1/5

Thank you.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by wlym See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Fast, cheap, unlimited."
Bad "Old, slow and overpriced modem offered. Buy your own."
Overall "Awesome!"

I was on Bell Fibre 25 and hating it. Slow (never got a speed over 2mbps and that was a short-lived rarity), inconsistent connection, ridiculously expensive, greedily data-capped, and the absolutely most useless, uninformed tech "support" imaginable! I have horror stories.

So, after much research and gnashing of teeth, I decided to go with Colba.net as I live a block away from one of their COs and the sales rep felt that I'd get great speeds depending on the line quality in my apartment (it's a 100 year old building and a maze of wires). I needed a dry-loop as I have no land-line (take THAT, Bell!). Their ADSL2+ modem is double the same model's retail price elsewhere and slow (Wifi is G and not N for example) so I bought a TP-Link (TD-W8960N) modem/router from Futureshop for $75. This choice means that Colba won't help me with any modem configs if I have trouble.

Bell showed up to install the dry loop. The technician was really friendly and after testing the line-quality for interference, he disabled a couple of old jacks that were causing line noise. Done in 20 minutes. The modem setup was dead simple: I just plugged in my username and password and I was online.

With a theoretical top speed of 24mbps, my speed test resulted in about 12mbps. Way better than Bell in my experience. Connection has been solid since plugging in two days ago so the jury is out on reliability in the long term.

I prepaid for a year so not including the $60 activation fee and the $18 dry-loop visit, I'm paying less than $30/month for fast, unlimited internet.

What a difference after a year on $80/month BELLch. I wish I had done this sooner.

Comments:

Review by amsk See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Great price, great speed, no throttling, no caps!"
Bad "As of now, nothing about which to complain."
Overall "If you can get good ADSL2+ speeds relative to your location, it's a fantastic deal."

Originally, I was planning on going with TekSavvy because of all the fantastic reviews it has. The speeds weren't looking amazing, but better than some other options. I e-mailed TekSavvy about what speeds I could expect at my location and with several other questions. A day later, I got an e-mail autoreply to wait 24 hours for a reply (from this e-mail or my original e-mail?). No reply until 4 days later. It basically said, in one sentence, that they cannot confirm what is available for my location at this time. Nothing else.

I'm not trying to trash TekSavvy, this is just the response I got. So, I decided to take a chance with Colba.net. The reviews are very mixed, but the CO is about 1km away from my apartment. I sent them an e-mail one evening with several questions. The next morning, I got a prompt, full answer to everything, promising about 10Mbps speeds at my residence for ADSL2+.

I went on their website, sent in the subscription form, and several hours later got a phone call where I ordered the service ($34.95 monthly plus $9.95 dry loop fee; there was also a $60.00 activation fee plus an extra $18.91 for dry loop installation; the total with tax was $141.05). Today, 5 business days later (7 days in all), is the planned activation day. Their e-mail to me said I'd need to stay home all day in case someone had to come by, which did not please me.

I didn't feel like waiting too long and plugged in the modem/router I bought on eBay for cheap (TP-LINK TD-W8960N), and went to the quick setup page. I didn't know about which values to plug in, so I left everything default and put in the username and password Colba e-mailed me into the PPP user/pass boxes. Finished the set-up, and lo and behold, everything worked swimmingly.

I only wish I hadn't waited all that time and done the set-up earlier. I just assumed from the sound of the e-mails I exchanged with Colba that someone would probably come over. So far, this has not been the case, nor do I anticipate it to be.

The connection is faster than promised and works very well. It's only day 0, so I can't provide any long-term review as of yet, but I'll update every so often as I continue with the service.

Speedtest.net results: »www.speedtest.net/result/1439130744.png

Comments:

Review by epack See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "16.5 *ACTUAL* megabits/second! I love this. Tech support is hit/miss, but the last guy *ROCKED*"

·TekSavvy DSL
I am a happy Teksavvy customer (and will not be getting rid of them) and wanted a little more speed. Alas, Teksavvy doesn't offer adsl2+, and are still slaves to Bell's dreaded infrastructure. I was very pleasantly surprised to discover Colba.net uses their OWN infrastructure (so Bell can't rate-shape you).

I ordered their $20/month (for a year's prepaid subscription) service for ADSL2+ (24 megabits). The order process was easy enough. Pop by their office (!) and cough some cash, and a bell technician shows up in a few days to hook up a ready-to-go line. Simple. I used my own Motorola Netopia modem, which seamlessly worked on the first try, and squealed with delight when the modem established a connection at 21 megabits/sec.

Sadly, while the DSL worked, actual IP throughput was fairly terrible. Packet loss was orders of magnitude higher than my trusty Teksavvy link, and throughput was about 2.5 megabits per second instead of the potential 21.

I called tech support, and was met by someone who instantly blamed my modem, and wouldn't talk to me further until I agree to try one of theirs. This is rather inconvenient for me, as I could demonstrate a clean DSL connection. Nerdrage caused me to run some formal speed tests and send the dismal and damning results to Colba.net's CEO.

*10 minutes later* at 11pm, the CEO REPLIED, and suggested he'd have someone call me in the morning.

Sure enough, next morning I had a pleasantly erudite chat with a backbone guy, who admitted there's a known congestion issue that they're already right about to fix. Sure enough, 2 weeks later, packet loss dropped to near-zero levels, and all was well, except I still only attained 5 megs throughput.

Nerd rage may have ensued

But it wasn't Colba.net's fault this time

I could demonstrate my modem was connecting at 21 megabits at the DSL level, but could only attain 5 megabits of IP throughput. Their techs suggested everything is fine, and I'm not being rate shaped, so it must be on my end (*more nerdrage*) the CEO gets involved again, politely, patiently, and dispatches a senior tech guy to my local central office to run some experiments for me (wow).. and he demonstrated that his modem and laptop can get 16 megabits on my connection. He suggested I just factory reset my modem because "What have I got to lose" (*extreme nerdrage*). So I did this, and to my infinite shame and humility, it worked. I now have more throughput at home than at work. Colba net really went above and beyond, and I must say, I have no idea why I didn't sign on with them sooner.