Start Communications page on DSLReports

Review by johchenb See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "friendly customer service, quick tech support response "
Bad "not capable of fixing extremely upload speed"
Overall "save your waiting time on the phone, but no speed guaranty! "

·TekSavvy Cable
Switched from Teksavvy to Start 30/5 a month ago. Pre-sales was good, very friendly and confident about their service. Phone call and email communication to remind me what to prepare about on the installation day.

Installation(switching) was done smoothly at the backstage. Since I use my own modem, the tech showed up and did nothing to my existing set up. That $50 installation fee was so easy to earn

Testing speed on the very first day was satisfying, hit 27m down and 1.7m up. Then the upload speed dropped down significantly to around 0.4m (60kbps). The tech support responded me quickly, did various test at my end but all seemed fine. Eventually, they gave me the response like all other Rogers cable resellers "we will look into it but we have nothing to do with Rogers line."

well, you might wanna find an ISP who can guaranty both upload and download speed if you have big demand on uploading (syncing files, photos to the cloud).

Comments:

Start Sam

join:2014-01-21

Welcome Aboard!

Thank you for your review and welcome to Start Communications.

If you want, send me a PM or email to support@start.ca (subject: ATTN Start Sam) and I can review your account to ensure every attempt has been made to resolve your issue with upload speed.

We've got a pretty good track record at delivering close to or at maximum speeds pending any external infrastructure or distance issues.
cutuzov

join:2007-11-21
Ajax, ON
·Start Communicat..

Re: Welcome Aboard!

said by Start Sam:

pretty good track record at delivering close to or at maximum speeds

I vouch for that. Steady 25/10 in Ajax south for a year here.

Review by SirGumby See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Good customer service; quick install; great value for $$$$"
Overall "Would highly recommend"

I subscribed to START for Home Cable 30M (250GB) service in Jan 2013. This package has since been discontinued but they grand fathered my service. Service have been flawless since I got it. My cable provider is Cogeco and installing of the service at my residence was painless (they showed up at the schedule time and the tech was both friendly and professional). I've had a few dealing with there tech support both by phone and email. I've never had to wait on hold very long or wait for a reply to my emails (never more than 1 business day). The service is always fast and I routinely check using »nexicom.speedtest.net and its always been above 27 Meg Up and 9 Meg down. Not much more you can ask for.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

Review by yronnen See Profile

• Location: Thornhill,ON
Good "Just works"
Bad "I'd like them to have 150mbps in my area"
Overall "Best ISP I had"

It just works. The only time I recall of being disconnected was for less than an hour, and when I called customer service they replied quickly. No problems with demanding services like Netflix, or Ultraviolet streaming - my smart TV is always happy.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

Review by qureshia See Profile

• Location: Milton,ON
Good "Fast installation - amazing tech support - outstanding value for $$$"
Bad "Didn't find them sooner!!!"
Overall "Get Bell (Hell)/ Rogers (Robbers) / Shaw (Claw) out of your life and get true unlimited Internet!"

Got the FTTN package 25/15... I have a very old line from Bell so D/L was sustained but upload is capped at 7Mbps MAX.

I ordered the service 9 days ago and got it done today. What a true joy; no interruptions, no downtime; straight-up switch from Bell and Loving the better speed at lower rate with NO CAP! (total switch-over time was less than 15 minutes).

I hope the service keeps up! From all the reviews here, these guys appear to have the Midas touch!

Thank you Start.ca for making it such an easy experience...

December 11-2014 Update:

Going strong as ever. Night-time download speeds even exceed my package cap. Had one bad day which turned out to be Bell digging holes in my neighbor's front yard, disrupting stuff. Seamless billing, stable connection - keep it up Start!

Signing off - a very, very happy and satisfied customer.

Comments:

Review by Kamranhyder See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Still Deciding "
Bad "Slow set up & technical issues - Poor Business Relationship with Rogers"
Overall "Amazing Customer Service... Just need to fix a few technical glitches"

After reading a few good reviews about Start Communications on this and other Forums i decided to go with them for my new house.
I ordered their services - Standard Cable Internet 30/5 200 GB for $45 + Tax on August 20th, 2014

I was provided confirmation that my Install Date would be 25th of August 2014, and that a Rogers Technician would come by and switch the internet on. On the morning of the 25th, the Technician came , saw that i had cables run in the house , went outside for a minute, and then came back saying that everything was ready to go. At this time my Thomson Modem ( I purchased it from Start) hadnt arrived, so i couldnt go online right away. The modem finally arrived on the August 27th, and i eagerly set it up .. Heres where it goes downhill FAST.

Modem set up .. But no connection. I call Start, and they tell me that its a "Technical issue with Rogers". I implore them to contact Rogers ASAP and get me online (My wife and I work at home, and are dependent on being online). The rep (Paul) said that he wold escalate the matter and everything should be good within 48 hrs.

My wife and I have frantically called Start multiple time, and each time they said that the matter was out of their hand and that they had emailed Rogers for support. I work in London now and then, and went to Starts Head Office on August 28th, where i pleaded my case, only to be told that they will escalate the matter.

As of 6:52 pm on August 29th, 2014 ... 9 days after i ordered (and paid for) Starts services i'm still no closer to receiving any services and am in limbo. What started off as a great experiment is turning out to be a nightmare. What i dont understand is that why Start Communications, who is dependent on Rogers doesnt have a better communication channel with them. I asked the multiple reps to call Rogers and explain the situation, but they all said that they can only email Rogers, and could not call ... this makes no sense at all.

Will i be in Internet Limbo forever. Since we are dependent on Internet service for work, i might have to cancel my order and go directly with Rogers which i really dont want to do, but i feel that my hands are tied. I hope this issue can be resolved by tomorrow.

Rocca ... Please look into this as soon as possible

UPDATE : August 29th, 2014 ...

I arrived home in the evening, expecting my wife to be standing in a doorway with a cleaver ... but luckily she wasnt. The Internet was up and running.
Thank you for your diligence in resolving the issue, and allowing me to finally start my journey with Start (and obviously continue living).

I know i didnt mention it explicitly before, but Start Communication's customer service is bar none. I truly am impressed with how i was kept in contact throughout my installation concern. I even received a call in the evening to make sure that everything was running smoothly.

Looking forward to writing another review soon

Thanks again

Comments:

rocca
Start.ca
join:2008-11-16

Response

Hi Kamran and sorry to hear of the problem you're having. I see that today the 28th we've escalated it again (and I just sent it to our account manager as well). The issue has been assigned to the cable vendors engineering team - ie has been escalated out of their help desk to the network engineers to find out why this is happening - it's a bit of a unique problem as it seems the CMTS is not accepting the provisioning for your account and hence why you're getting the unprovisioned modem IP address. The good news is that a field tech should not be required, and we'll keep on it to get this resolved as quickly as possible.
Kamranhyder

join:2014-08-28
Mississauga, ON

Re: Response

Thanks for the response Rocca. Just keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping i'll be connected today.

rocca
Start.ca
join:2008-11-16

Re: Response

My pleasure, looks like you're online now - if you have any problems just let us know. Have a great long weekend.
Kamranhyder

join:2014-08-28
Mississauga, ON

Re: Response

Thanks Peter ... Am glad to finally start enjoying your services .. will keep you updated

Review by Anzio See Profile

• Location: Innisfil,ON
Good "Excellent service, fantastic speeds, extremely reliable, price is right"
Overall "Great bang for your buck, depending on your usage. Incredibly friendly service"

Update: We've been on the 60/10 plan for quite some time now and decided it was time to update our review.

Additionally, we have just signed up for Business DSL and now have that active at our office and see the same speeds as expected. Only had to call Start one time to add a couple of people as authorized on the account, and there was literally zero hold/wait time.

The constant up-to-date status updates from Start (especially information about upcoming unreleased products) are absolutely amazing. This is truly the ISP to be with.

»www.speedtest.net/result/3700753193.png

---------
After being with Start for a bit now, I can fully back them. Their service is unmatchable, and their reliability is fantastic (depending on your area, of course).

Their pre-sales information was fantastic, and their sales staff were extremely helpful and didn't push you to buy (the CEO even steps in to assist!) I cancelled Rogers and notified Start, and got confirmation of the install date the next day. Received my modem in just a few days. My Rogers modem worked a day past my cancellation date, so there was no downtime during the switch. It was an effortless purchase/switch.

I'm getting the same speeds (slightly slower) with SpeedBoost as I did with Rogers, and with a much larger data bucket. I signed up on the Pro plan at 45/4 and consistently see these speeds.

Their service/support, although unused so far– is seemingly excellent. I got a call on my install date to notify me that I can plug in the modem (which I had already done) from an extremely friendly gentleman.

I feel like they want me as a customer, and I will stick with them so long as this feeling remains. I would never hesitate to recommend them!

Earlier speed test: »www.speedtest.net/result/2527798076.png

Comments:

Anzio

join:2008-11-22
Innisfil, ON

Updated?

Interesting. It says I updated this review a few hours ago, but I never touched it. Nothing has changed. Everything is still great!

Review by rockfire See Profile

Good "Great company to deal with. Getting advertised speeds with low latency"
Bad "Nothing so far"
Overall "Excellent customer oriented internet provider "

Nov 2014

Its been over a year that I have had Start FTTN and rCable internet. I did have a week of unusable rCable in March 2014 of some unknown cmts rogers issue. I was put in the Start congestion pile although it was not congestion issue but a rogers cmts issue. Can't blame Start because they have no visibility to rogers equipment.

Other then the rCable issue in March 2014, things have been excellent with both services. It was refreshing at my year end that I did not have to call any kind of retentions to get the same price I am paying each month.

I have made a number of changes on my account over the year with both services and each time my requests have been handed with care and completed as requested. I always confirm two or three times my changes due to my previous experience with rogers or bell. I have distrust from previous experiences with rogers and bell, but I have learned I don't need to do this with Start.

Overall, I am very pleased with my services and I recommend them to anyone whom want "old fashion" caring customer service. Its refreshing to have a company such as Start Communications.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------
My review is for both Start standard FTTN and rCable internet.

Start standard FTTN:

Ordered standard FTTN and was given my installation date. Bell tech showed up at 10am. Early, but I was up with DSL by 10:30am.
Speeds for my 15/1 service is as advertised. Speed tests are approx 14.83/0.93. I have had this service for a month.

Start rCable:

Cancelled my Rogers internet and tv and requested a transfer to cable pro 45/4 rCable internet. Speeds for
my 45/4 service is as advertised. Speed tests are approx 44.48/4.04. My service is just a couple of days old.
My transfer was earlier then my Rogers service cancellation so I can be up with Start before my Rogers is out.

With both services, sales was excellent to deal with. Any questions I had about the services were answered.
I received phone calls for each service to ensure my connection was working. I have also called in and spoke to billing.
They were just as nice as the sales team.

It is rare to find such a customer oriented internet provider such as Start Communications. I am happy so far with my services.

member for 3.9 years, 135 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by boblazaar See Profile

Good "Great Speeds, Reliable, Affordable, quite frankly the best Customer Service ever."
Bad "Not much yet!"
Overall "Run, don't walk to Start!"

Ordered the 30 Mbps package with unlimited about a month before Robbers was contracted was up. Got emails confirming signup and shipping of modem THAT night! Modem came 2 days later. Impressed already.

Service started and it was seamless. Not a single issue. Gave it a few days and thought, they will make service changes pretty quick, let's try the 150 Mbps service and that was my only hiccup. BUT that was my fault for owning a crap router (not a gigbit router). In the meantime went down to 60 Mbps and was good to go! Thankfully the unlimited window between 2 - 8 am mean I don't have to have the unlimited option (I work shifts) but a nice option to have at a moments notice!

Couldn't be happier that I switched for the reliability alone but the customer service is seriously second to none. Can't stress enough how helpful, quick and amazing their support is!

It's only been 2 months so I will post a follow up at the 6 month mark but so far love Start!

member for 64 days, 6 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jonbon See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Customer Service, so far, is great, fast response (for myself)"
Bad "nothing so far, and hope nothing will be ^^"
Overall "Cheap, good speeds. no complaints."

I was either going to go with Distributel or Start Communications, the only difference between the two was that Distributel has unlimited bandwidth and Start has 300GB. I reason I went with Start Communications, and this is one of the many reasons I went with Start. Was the fast response time when I used their contact us page on their site. It was no more than a day to get a response (well this was when I email them at like 2am or something like that), but also when I emailed them in the middle of the day, they got back to me, that same day maybe a few hours later. And that is what I call fast response.

Also I ordered my service well in advanced like 15days early, since I didn't want to pay for two internet services at the same, I was with Bell internet (which was decent but not fast enough.)

The speed that I am getting with Start is amazing. I sometimes get more than the speed advertised (which I am not complaining about at all.) Also at the current time (where I am located), the usage meter is not available, so as it states when I click on the view usage, its not available and says I am will not be charged for going over my bandwidth. I am taking full advantage of that ^^.

The installation for this service was pretty easy, since the cable only needed to be like less than 10ft from where the cable comes into the house, the tech arrived a good time, had a time slot of 2pm-5pm, and the tech showed up at 2:15pm (didn't receive a call, but that did not matter to me).

It would have been nice if they had a self-install kit, where no tech was needed, but I do understand that they need to make sure the signal and all that is working.

Also after the tech was finished (didn't stay around to see if it worked, nor did he really have to), I hooked it all up and got the rogers activation page. I called Start tech support was only on hold for less than 10minutes (which in my opinion is good and I have seen worse.) I was told to wait 2hrs after it was installed before they could do anything, no complaints there, but I did ask the tech if I can confirm the MAC address to make sure it was on my account, it was. So not more than 30-45mins later (as I was not home when it started) the internet was working and ran a speed test and got 36.90Mbps download / 0.99Mbps upload, which is above the 28Mbps download and I've been pretty much getting 28Mbps or higher when I run speed test.

Also I would like to point out that another thing that caught my eye when choosing a new ISP was the fact I didn't have to shell out money to purchase my modem, I loved it when I saw I was able rent. And yes I know in the long run its more expensive but that does not bother me.

If someone ever did ask me what ISP should I look into, I would recommend Start Communications. (even though its only been about a week since I got service^^)

member for 2.3 years, 858 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by faidwen7 See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Absolutely fabulous service, and the ability to communicate intelligently with folks in the "
Bad "I haven't had any "
Overall "Pleasant experience."

I am a tough user of the internet. With some serious needs and demands when it comes to the quality of service I have, and its availability. I have the 150/15 package, initially starting off with a lower package, but upgrading easily once the 150/10 (now 15) came out. I also still have Bell as a backup, but haven't had the need to use the crossover since switching to Start.

Primarily, the thing that I find the most beneficial, is the ability to ACTUALLY converse with the folks at Start. They actively engage with their subscribers on a regular basis. Conveying upgrades, ideas, and issues as they arise.

I eagerly await the next service level, and applaud Start for its continued support, quality, and availability.

Thanks again!