Start Communications page on DSLReports

Review by rickybo See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Advertised speed, Fair Price, Reliable and Good Customer Support"
Overall "Great company probably the best I've ever had"

I've had many Internet providers during my lifetime, I'm now 22. I had rogers, bell then teksavvy to distributel and I've been with Start for more than 9 months now.

First the customer service on this company is excellent, everyone speaks proper English and knows what they are talking about, they even call you to check up on your connection upon install and email you info etc..

Second I know this company uses their service from bell but I've never had any down time with this connection since I had it for 9 months now.

Third, the price is reasonably priced way cheaper than bell and rogers etc.. I first had 6mb DSL for 29.99 and 100GB CAP I now switched to FTTN 15mb and 300GB cap for 39.99 definitely worth 10$ more for 2.5x speed and cap, and its FTTN.

Overall I am very impressed about this service and so far the best I ever had. I won't be switching anytime soon unless something stupid on their end happens. These major 3 features I have listed give this company a perfect score from me, I couldn't be happier than I am now. Thanks to the company and staff from Start. Very good job. 10/10

Comments:

Review by Rory See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Great transition from another ISP!"

I've just transferred service from another ISP and I'm just up and running now.

I just wanted to take a quick moment to say how positive the whole experience was moving to Start...

Throughout the whole ordeal I never once felt worried about my choice. I was really impressed with calls made by the people at Start asking me if I had any questions after I first signed up and then another call when my modem was finally transferred and service was up and running.

Looking forward to being a customer of Start from here on in.

Will also update this review after a bit of time has gone by to comment on the actual service.

Thanks again Start!

member for 5.2 years, 125 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Djmitch99 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Excellent"

I've been a Start customer for approx. 1 year. I signed up when they offered cable service in the Niagara area. The transfer from CCable went smoothly after providing 30 days notice. I had received the modem i purchased in 3 days. I swapped out the Ccable modem with the new modem and my speed was the 30Mbps as advertised. I have since changed to the 20Mbps/10/Unlimted.

Very happy with service and support.

It is good to see the Management so active in DSL Reports forum.

Thanks for setting the bar high for customer service, it is appreciated.

November 1, 2014- Switched to 50Mbps line and just as before, speeds were great and the switch happened within a couple of hours of calling in. »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3991642407

member for 238 days, 292 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sgaweda See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Stable and quick internet!"
Bad "Installation did not go as planned"
Overall "Once it's running Start's internet service is impeccable "

UPDATE:

Two weeks ago my internet was finally connected and I've been enjoying it ever since. I've experienced a stable and fast connection the entire time with the exception of a short 5 minute disconnection once at 3am. I've left the install coordination rated low because I still feel like the install did not go well but have adjusted other scores to reflect my new found confidence with Start's service. The slight hits to pre-sales info and tech support are related to the installation and miscommunication that occurred during that process. That being said, overall I'm very happy with my internet service and only wish there was more I could say about how great it has been to finally have it.

I would like to extend special thanks to Josh the sales representative who helped keep me patient as the installation dragged on and Richard who helped me reach a favorable resolution to the installation.

I have left the original review included below for anyone who wishes to read it, but from what I understand my particular case has only ever occurred once. Keep in mind that it is likely not representative of any typical installation.

ORIGINAL REVIEW BELOW:

After looking on DSLReports to see the reviews of companies I was considering signing up with I was happy to find out that a local (relatively) company by the name of Start Communication had fantastic reviews on this site. After speaking with their staff on the phone and considering the cost of similar options from other providers I decided Start was who I wanted to go with and so on Friday November 14th I called them and let them know I was interested in getting their Standard Cable Internet package. I was informed that getting a tech out to perform the installation would take 5 business days which seemed unusually long, but considering the reviews on this site I assumed it would be worth it. Within a couple hours I received a confirmation email confirming that my appointment with the technician had been schedules for the following Friday on November 21st between 11am and 2pm.

On the 21st I received a call from the technician and after some discussion it was understood that he had been sent to the wrong address one street over. I went outside and met him as he came around and he came in and did the installation. While he was performing the installation I called Start and learned that Start had sent the correct address to Rogers but Rogers had sent the work order back with the incorrect address and it had not been noticed by Start. I let the technician know what had happened figuring that it was just a simple mistake of address and we could get it resolved quickly with a couple phone calls. After completing his work, however, he realized he couldn't sign off on the installation because he didn't have a work order anymore. When he had gone to the other address he notified his manager and she had deleted it. This would cause a great deal more problems down the road. The technician left without resolving the issue and I was left without internet (or so I thought).

I called Start shortly after the technician left and we discussed the issue and I was told that it shouldn't be too difficult to fix since it was just an incorrect address. While I was speaking with start we determined that I was indeed receiving internet from Start as I had been registered with an IP on their network. Comfortable that the issue was going to be resolved soon and happy to finally have working internet I ended the call with Start with the expectation that they would call me when the address had been fixed. 2 hours later my internet was no longer working so I called Start to determine what had happened. After some discussion it was concluded that Rogers had severed the connection and that a ticket would have to be submitted to Rogers provisioning to turn the internet back on. I was told that a timetable couldn't be given but that it didn't seem like something that would take that long to accomplish. That seemed to make sense since it didn't take them that long to turn it off.

On Saturday the 22nd I still didn't have internet so I called Start to determine what issue was holding them up. They informed me that Rogers still hadn't responded to the ticket and that they would notify me when they got an update.

On Sunday the 23rd I still didn't have internet so once again I called Start to learn to there still wasn't an update on my ticket two full days after I first reported that my internet had been turned off.

On Monday the 24th I was informed that Rogers had finally responded to the ticket and was going to send out a technician to verify the installation on Wednesday between 8am and 11am. I noted that was too early for me and a ticket was submitted to have the time changed to 11am-2pm on Wednesday.

On Tuesday the 25th I was told that our request for a time change to 11am-2pm Wednesday had been approved.

Now we've reached today and I just received a phone call from Start Communication informing me that the tech isn't going to be coming today. Upon discovering that they could not find the original work order Rogers rescheduled again for Thursday 11am-2pm. I requested to speak to a manager and am currently waiting for one to contact me. In the meantime I'm writing this review so that others may know about my experience with Start.

The most frustrating thing about this whole issue is that while Start Communication's staff has been incredibly helpful and patient, they've been largely ineffective at getting this resolved in a timeframe that I can agree is reasonable. It's been almost 2 weeks now and I still do not have my installation completed. Whenever I've discussed how long this is taking everyone at Start seems so shocked, but ultimately nothing has been done to shorten it. I can't imagine that the fix is something that should be taking this long when I already had working internet and it was shut off in error by a company that isn't even the company I'm getting internet from. I've tried being patient but it's really felt like I've been getting the runaround with these constant delays.

Comments:

Start Sam

join:2014-01-21

New Instalaltion

Very sorry to read about your experience thus far in getting a cable internet service installed by us. Definitely not the experience we aim for and it's unfortunate how it has developed.

I have reviewed your account with the staff you've spoken thus far and I believe you have spoken do our Customer Service Manager Richard, and he has taken control of your situation to ensure resolution.

There's a new confirmed installation for 11AM - 2PM tomorrow (Nov. 27th) and we expect to go well since the majority of the work necessary for your connection has been completed. They were quite speedy in getting the new date, so I believe there is an effort on the cable vendors part to remedy the situation as soon as possible.

Once again, I am sorry for your experience. I'll monitor the situation and our CRM Richard will followup with you tomorrow.

Feel free to send me a PM for any questions, I'll be happy to assist.

rocca
Start.ca
join:2008-11-16

Online

I'm sorry to hear that Rogers put the wrong street on the order, and a definitely rocky start but glad to see you're online now and hopefully you'll find the services and value more than 0% going forward.

In regards to taking 5 days to schedule the initial install, unfortunately that's a current restriction Rogers puts on competitors to give themselves an advantage but this is something we're in front of the CRTC about (amongst some other issues) right now. We hope that we will be able to have some changes implemented that will help improve competitive access for all Canadians' whether our customers or those of other providers.

Again sorry about the rocky process to get here but I hope that you'll enjoy your time with us and find that we really do aim to provide a better experience for our customers. Thanks and enjoy your weekend.
sgaweda

join:2014-11-26

Re: Online

I've changed my review to reflect my current happiness with the service. It is definitely not 0%. I'm happy to have fast and affordable internet service!
Tristan

join:2006-09-10
Nepean, ON
·Start Communicat..
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico

Unfortunate

Sorry to hear about the rocky start.

I can testify that once I was up and running with Start (too about a week - should have been same-day), I began enjoying greater up-time than when I was with my two previous ISP's. If I was to sum all the downtime I had with Big Red and Black Thunder (pseudonames I gave my previous ISP's), it would easily have been a minimum of about three to four weeks of downtime, so I'm already ahead of the game.

Headaches are not just caused by incumbent ISP's, but also with some smaller independent ISP's (Black Thunder - evil stare). Thankfully Start hasn't given me a reason to regret my move, or give them a pseudoname. Kudos!
sgaweda

join:2014-11-26

Re: Unfortunate

I'm happy to say that I'm glad I toughed it out. I was able to negotiable a favorable resolution that I felt was fair and I have had stable and reliable internet since my installation was completed!

Review by cybersaga See Profile

• Location: Welland,ON
Good "Fantastic customer service. Good prices."
Overall "I'd recommend them to everyone"

I've had Start for several months now. The service has been reliable, and their customer service has been fantastic. There was a billing mishap in the beginning because I had to change my start date after I arranged my stop date with Cogeco. I ended up being billed from the original start date instead of the revised date. Instead of refunding the difference in days, they just refunded the first whole month!

member for 3.1 years, 901 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by drm1983 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "quick support, fast speeds, CEO on call"
Bad "difficulties with Rogers"
Overall "You get what you pay for. "

Edit: I eventually did get what I paid for. It was a real headache getting connected, but, as I say below, I readily believe that this was Rogers' fault, and I would have had the same problem with another ISP. I do wish tech support had been able to help more, but, as I said, the real power to solve my problem was in Rogers' hands. On the Start side, I can say that I have dealt with many major ISPs, mainly in the US--AT&T, Comcast, Time Warner, etc.--and Start has been by far the most accessible. Really, it reminds me of the old days, in the mid 90s, when there were many small, local dial-up ISPs, and if you found the right one, you were golden. As you can see below, the CEO quickly responded to this post and looked into my problem; I have no idea if the provisioning request would have eventually gone through without his intervention, but it couldn't have hurt, and he certainly made it right monetarily. Very happy with speed and reliability so far.

------

Actually, you don't get what you pay for. Or at least I didn't. It may be gauche to post a review before the service is actually working, but I wanted to provide a counterpoint to the generally very positive reviews and a warning. If everything goes right, as it has for most posters, I'm sure everything is great. But it didn't go right for me, despite my best efforts. And it may not go right for you, either.

I was moving to Toronto. Of course, moving is always a huge hassle, so I tried to do my homework. I didn't have an address in the city yet, so I bought a new modem and packed it with me. I scheduled installation about ten days in advance, and gave them the appropriate information. Rogers actually came on time to do the install, right on the edge of the installation window. About five minutes before that, I called Start to ask about the installation status. They said that Rogers was doing its own thing, and they couldn't do anything about it until they were late. That should have forewarned me.

An hour after installation, no Internet. I called, and they said to wait - - it can take a few hours.

Six hours after installation, no Internet. I called, and they said that it was a modem provisioning thing. They'd send a request to Rogers, and we'd hear back in 24-48 hours.

46 hours later, no Internet. I called, and they said that it should be working real soon, and Rogers has a tendency to wait until the last minute.

Next day, no Internet. I called and they said that Rogers ought to take care of it soon.

The next day is today. And tonight, still no Internet. What's hilarious is that they won't even give an ETA anymore. Before, it was a bunch of broken promises that were all Rogers' fault--6 hours, 24-48 hours, whatever. Now, they won't even put a number on it. It could be an hour, another day, another week. Of course, I was charged for installation and my first month of service right on time.

I admit that this may be a weird fringe case. Clearly a lot of people have had good experiences. And their support has generally been quite nice and readily available (except for tonight--I couldn't get anyone on the line). But if something goes wrong, they simply can't help you. It may all indeed be Rogers' fault, but what does it matter to me? I didn't pay Rogers my money, but I should have. Start doesn't seem to be able to help me in any way. If I had been told up front that there was some chance that I'd have no Internet five days after the installation (and for an indeterminate number of days more) I just would have gone with Rogers (or Telus or whatever) in the first place.

Be forewarned.

Comments:

rocca
Start.ca
join:2008-11-16

response

Hi. I'm sorry to hear things didn't go smoothly for you and we haven't been able to resolve it yet. As you're new to this board it won't let you pm me yet but shoot me a quick email to rocca @start.ca with your account number as I'd like to see what the circumstances are here and if it's not already assigned to a supervisor then get that done. Thanks and we'll get things fixed up.
drm1983

join:2014-09-08

Re: response

Many thanks, email sent.

Review by imtiax See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Excellent Customer Service"
Overall "Don't look anywhere else, go with Start."

Before I decided to sign up for their service I gave them a call a few times to get a feel of their customer service, and how they interact with their customers, etc. I was very impressed. Another thing that blew my mind was how fast I was able to get connected to a real person. Each time I called I was able to talk to a person within 20-30 seconds of calling. When ever I call Rogers I have to wait at least 5 - 15 minutes. I also like how they always have people active on DSLReports and interact with their customers.

I ordered Starts VOIP $30 World plan the day they launched the service (August 1st), received the ATA on the 7th. Only thing I was disappointed in was the bad packaging material, (pics can be found here »Re: VoIP announcement soon? )

Since I was one of the first few people that ordered the service, my ATA was shipped out with the old packaging material (confirmed by rocca in that thread I linked above). Anyways, the packaging material was not a big deal.

After plugging in the VOIP adapter I ran into an issue where with my calls were being dropped after around 30 seconds.

I contacted support about the call drop issue, and Darren (I believe he is a manager) was assigned to help me with my issue after I talked to a few people about it. He spent a few hours with me trying to figure out what was wrong, we did a lot of testing, and he found that a lot of people reported using the Rogers gateway modem with VOIP had the same issue.

So I went out to CanadaComputers and bought an ASUS RT-N66U that day and the VOIP service has been perfect ever since. Plus I get the added benefit of having better wifi coverage.

There were a few other issues with the service during the month of August (Which was the first month of them offering the service), but every company has a few kinks/issues when they first launch a new service. The main part is that when ever there was an issue, they would always get on it right away.

Their service is flawless now. No downtimes, no dropped calls, and very low latency. I live in downtown Toronto and have 26ms latency to their VOIP server.

I've been using Starts VOIP for over 5 months now and it has already saved me around $400 in phone cards. So I will definitely stick with the service.

I plan on switching my internet to Start in the future. At the moment I have Rogers retention offer from their famous "winback" department (search it up on redflagdeals if you are interested). The plan I have is 60 down 10 up with unlimited usage for $61.01 a month including taxes, with free modem rental which is perfect for me as I burn through 1.5-2 terabytes of usage every month. No internet company here can beat that price point at the moment.

Over all, I'd definitely rate Starts VOIP service 10/10. There's nothing better than a company with superior customer service/support.

If your looking for a new VOIP company, go with Start.

Cheers.

member for 252 days, 270 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Abilek See Profile

• Location: Harrow,ON
Good "quick... reliable... great customer service"
Bad "a little on the pricey side... esp for the unlimited"
Overall "recommend it to others"

·Bell Sympatico
I had cable, the 20M down and 10 up with a 150g cap... happy with the service, consistent speeds... every time I ran a speed test, it was right on, the lowest test I ever seen was 19.4... but that could because of a small town with new cable lines... anyways, no complaints, I purchase my own modem ahead of time and when the cable tech came down, every thing when seamless...

overall... recommend it to others... great service with reasonable prices... except the unlimited packages ($67.8 for 20M) which are alittle on the high side

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

Review by sbs6 See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Installation co-ordination, Technical Support, Reliability"
Bad "None at this point"
Overall "Great service so far"

I have been a customer of Start for approximately three weeks at this point. Six months ago my brother in law wanted to switch away from Rogers and was inquiring me to which ISP he should move to. After reading DSLR, it seemed that Start Communication would be his best avenue (although not absolutely the cheapest; cheapest typically != best). His experience has been so positive that he couldn't stop raving about it. This is of course a huge positive as I hate recommending things that I don't have first hand experience in.

Six months later I decided to follow suite and my experience has been great. The perfect example of the difference between Rogers (who I had my service with previously) and Start was the experience of reaching their support personnel (to disconnect for Rogers and to connect with Start). It took me 30+ minutes on hold to get a hold of Rogers personnel, while it took less than a minute with Start. There is definitely something to be said of the company who values your time.

All in all, nothing but good things to say. The great feature i just started taking advantage of was having unlimited capacity downloads between 2am-8am.

Stevan

Comments:

Review by invictive See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Fast stable Internet, relatively fast connection time"
Bad "None Really"
Overall "Great internet Service from a small(er) company"

·AtomHost
I signed up for the 50/10 VDSL package since the CO is directly across the street and I had heard bad things about the Rogers node for my building being overloaded (Apartment). The install was pretty quick and painless, Bell actually showed up when they said they would and it took about 20 minutes. I think it was 4 or 5 days after ordering.

The SmartRG modem is excellent although a little pricey. Don't go resetting too many settings on it or you may lock yourself out. A quick call to support will get you the password though.

Speeds are consistent and stable. I can only get 8 out of a full 10Mbps upload. I put that down to bad wiring in my building since it is 40 years old.

Overall I'm very happy with the service, support has been easy to deal with the few times I've had to call. (Password and Billing)