Start Communications page on DSLReports

Review by sgaweda See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "It worked great for the 2 hours I had it"
Bad "Almost two week installation and still don't have internet"
Overall "Errors by both Start and Rogers have left me in procedural limbo"

After looking on DSLReports to see the reviews of companies I was considering signing up with I was happy to find out that a local (relatively) company by the name of Start Communication had fantastic reviews on this site. After speaking with their staff on the phone and considering the cost of similar options from other providers I decided Start was who I wanted to go with and so on Friday November 14th I called them and let them know I was interested in getting their Standard Cable Internet package. I was informed that getting a tech out to perform the installation would take 5 business days which seemed unusually long, but considering the reviews on this site I assumed it would be worth it. Within a couple hours I received a confirmation email confirming that my appointment with the technician had been schedules for the following Friday on November 21st between 11am and 2pm.

On the 21st I received a call from the technician and after some discussion it was understood that he had been sent to the wrong address one street over. I went outside and met him as he came around and he came in and did the installation. While he was performing the installation I called Start and learned that Start had sent the correct address to Rogers but Rogers had sent the work order back with the incorrect address and it had not been noticed by Start. I let the technician know what had happened figuring that it was just a simple mistake of address and we could get it resolved quickly with a couple phone calls. After completing his work, however, he realized he couldn't sign off on the installation because he didn't have a work order anymore. When he had gone to the other address he notified his manager and she had deleted it. This would cause a great deal more problems down the road. The technician left without resolving the issue and I was left without internet (or so I thought).

I called Start shortly after the technician left and we discussed the issue and I was told that it shouldn't be too difficult to fix since it was just an incorrect address. While I was speaking with start we determined that I was indeed receiving internet from Start as I had been registered with an IP on their network. Comfortable that the issue was going to be resolved soon and happy to finally have working internet I ended the call with Start with the expectation that they would call me when the address had been fixed. 2 hours later my internet was no longer working so I called Start to determine what had happened. After some discussion it was concluded that Rogers had severed the connection and that a ticket would have to be submitted to Rogers provisioning to turn the internet back on. I was told that a timetable couldn't be given but that it didn't seem like something that would take that long to accomplish. That seemed to make sense since it didn't take them that long to turn it off.

On Saturday the 22nd I still didn't have internet so I called Start to determine what issue was holding them up. They informed me that Rogers still hadn't responded to the ticket and that they would notify me when they got an update.

On Sunday the 23rd I still didn't have internet so once again I called Start to learn to there still wasn't an update on my ticket two full days after I first reported that my internet had been turned off.

On Monday the 24th I was informed that Rogers had finally responded to the ticket and was going to send out a technician to verify the installation on Wednesday between 8am and 11am. I noted that was too early for me and a ticket was submitted to have the time changed to 11am-2pm on Wednesday.

On Tuesday the 25th I was told that our request for a time change to 11am-2pm Wednesday had been approved.

Now we've reached today and I just received a phone call from Start Communication informing me that the tech isn't going to be coming today. Upon discovering that they could not find the original work order Rogers rescheduled again for Thursday 11am-2pm. I requested to speak to a manager and am currently waiting for one to contact me. In the meantime I'm writing this review so that others may know about my experience with Start.

The most frustrating thing about this whole issue is that while Start Communication's staff has been incredibly helpful and patient, they've been largely ineffective at getting this resolved in a timeframe that I can agree is reasonable. It's been almost 2 weeks now and I still do not have my installation completed. Whenever I've discussed how long this is taking everyone at Start seems so shocked, but ultimately nothing has been done to shorten it. I can't imagine that the fix is something that should be taking this long when I already had working internet and it was shut off in error by a company that isn't even the company I'm getting internet from. I've tried being patient but it's really felt like I've been getting the runaround with these constant delays.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

Start Sam

join:2014-01-21
London, ON

New Instalaltion

Very sorry to read about your experience thus far in getting a cable internet service installed by us. Definitely not the experience we aim for and it's unfortunate how it has developed.

I have reviewed your account with the staff you've spoken thus far and I believe you have spoken do our Customer Service Manager Richard, and he has taken control of your situation to ensure resolution.

There's a new confirmed installation for 11AM - 2PM tomorrow (Nov. 27th) and we expect to go well since the majority of the work necessary for your connection has been completed. They were quite speedy in getting the new date, so I believe there is an effort on the cable vendors part to remedy the situation as soon as possible.

Once again, I am sorry for your experience. I'll monitor the situation and our CRM Richard will followup with you tomorrow.

Feel free to send me a PM for any questions, I'll be happy to assist.

Review by qureshia See Profile

• Location: Milton,ON
Good "Fast installation - amazing tech support - outstanding value for $$$"
Bad "Didn't find them sooner!!!"
Overall "Get Bell (Hell)/ Rogers (Robbers) / Shaw (Claw) out of your life and get true unlimited Internet!"

Got the FTTN package 25/15... I have a very old line from Bell so D/L was sustained but upload is capped at 7Mbps MAX.

I ordered the service 9 days ago and got it done today. What a true joy; no interruptions, no downtime; straight-up switch from Bell and Loving the better speed at lower rate with NO CAP! (total switch-over time was less than 15 minutes).

I hope the service keeps up! From all the reviews here, these guys appear to have the Midas touch!

Thank you Start.ca for making it such an easy experience...

Comments:

Review by boblazaar See Profile

Good "Great Speeds, Reliable, Affordable, quite frankly the best Customer Service ever."
Bad "Not much yet!"
Overall "Run, don't walk to Start!"

Ordered the 30 Mbps package with unlimited about a month before Robbers was contracted was up. Got emails confirming signup and shipping of modem THAT night! Modem came 2 days later. Impressed already.

Service started and it was seamless. Not a single issue. Gave it a few days and thought, they will make service changes pretty quick, let's try the 150 Mbps service and that was my only hiccup. BUT that was my fault for owning a crap router (not a gigbit router). In the meantime went down to 60 Mbps and was good to go! Thankfully the unlimited window between 2 - 8 am mean I don't have to have the unlimited option (I work shifts) but a nice option to have at a moments notice!

Couldn't be happier that I switched for the reliability alone but the customer service is seriously second to none. Can't stress enough how helpful, quick and amazing their support is!

It's only been 2 months so I will post a follow up at the 6 month mark but so far love Start!

Comments:

Review by jonbon See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Customer Service, so far, is great, fast response (for myself)"
Bad "nothing so far, and hope nothing will be ^^"
Overall "Cheap, good speeds. no complaints."

I was either going to go with Distributel or Start Communications, the only difference between the two was that Distributel has unlimited bandwidth and Start has 300GB. I reason I went with Start Communications, and this is one of the many reasons I went with Start. Was the fast response time when I used their contact us page on their site. It was no more than a day to get a response (well this was when I email them at like 2am or something like that), but also when I emailed them in the middle of the day, they got back to me, that same day maybe a few hours later. And that is what I call fast response.

Also I ordered my service well in advanced like 15days early, since I didn't want to pay for two internet services at the same, I was with Bell internet (which was decent but not fast enough.)

The speed that I am getting with Start is amazing. I sometimes get more than the speed advertised (which I am not complaining about at all.) Also at the current time (where I am located), the usage meter is not available, so as it states when I click on the view usage, its not available and says I am will not be charged for going over my bandwidth. I am taking full advantage of that ^^.

The installation for this service was pretty easy, since the cable only needed to be like less than 10ft from where the cable comes into the house, the tech arrived a good time, had a time slot of 2pm-5pm, and the tech showed up at 2:15pm (didn't receive a call, but that did not matter to me).

It would have been nice if they had a self-install kit, where no tech was needed, but I do understand that they need to make sure the signal and all that is working.

Also after the tech was finished (didn't stay around to see if it worked, nor did he really have to), I hooked it all up and got the rogers activation page. I called Start tech support was only on hold for less than 10minutes (which in my opinion is good and I have seen worse.) I was told to wait 2hrs after it was installed before they could do anything, no complaints there, but I did ask the tech if I can confirm the MAC address to make sure it was on my account, it was. So not more than 30-45mins later (as I was not home when it started) the internet was working and ran a speed test and got 36.90Mbps download / 0.99Mbps upload, which is above the 28Mbps download and I've been pretty much getting 28Mbps or higher when I run speed test.

Also I would like to point out that another thing that caught my eye when choosing a new ISP was the fact I didn't have to shell out money to purchase my modem, I loved it when I saw I was able rent. And yes I know in the long run its more expensive but that does not bother me.

If someone ever did ask me what ISP should I look into, I would recommend Start Communications. (even though its only been about a week since I got service^^)

member for 2.2 years, 835 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by faidwen7 See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Absolutely fabulous service, and the ability to communicate intelligently with folks in the "
Bad "I haven't had any "
Overall "Pleasant experience."

I am a tough user of the internet. With some serious needs and demands when it comes to the quality of service I have, and its availability. I have the 150/15 package, initially starting off with a lower package, but upgrading easily once the 150/10 (now 15) came out. I also still have Bell as a backup, but haven't had the need to use the crossover since switching to Start.

Primarily, the thing that I find the most beneficial, is the ability to ACTUALLY converse with the folks at Start. They actively engage with their subscribers on a regular basis. Conveying upgrades, ideas, and issues as they arise.

I eagerly await the next service level, and applaud Start for its continued support, quality, and availability.

Thanks again!

member for 8.6 years, 36 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dmbcanada See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Speeds as advertised, excellent pre and post sale support"
Bad "Temp line, website could be better"
Overall "Much better than Teksavvy"

·TekSavvy DSL
I decided to switch to Start from Teksavvy after 4 years of service. Teksavvy was good at the beginning but the last few years they have grown and I feel they dropped in customer service, as well as constant email issues the last few months. Researched Start and heard very good things and they were a local company which was even better. Talked to people on the forums as well as Rocca himself and had all my questions and concerns answered when it came to what package to choose. I opted to go with the Standard Cable Internet (30/5) which was recommended as I also wanted to sign up for their VOIP service. Got my preferred install date which could have been a lot sooner, but due to my work schedule it was not possible. Rogers tech came out and installed a temp line which I am not too happy about since it won't be buried until next summer most likely. Other than that he was able to install the line in my preferred location and also mentioned he could not touch my modem but I was good to go. 5 minutes after he left I plugged in the modem and it was already provisioned and I was getting the full speeds! Start called a few hours later to follow up on the install which was a nice touch. Now just waiting for my phone number to port over from Teksavvy on the 11th.

In summary I am happy so far with Start, getting the speeds as advertised and had all my questions answered accurately. I have already recommended them to co-workers and family members in the London area who are looking to switch from Big Red or BHELL.

Comments:

Review by WaterdownInt See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Tech support is initially friendly and helpful, no contract "
Bad "Congestion issues, tech support is limited to checking the modem"
Overall "Service quality is limited by your local isp"

Paying for a 20Mpbs cable package but I am speedtesting at 3Mbps through weekday evenings. Tech support is initially friendly to help troubleshoot but as soon as it is clear there is nothing wrong with my equipment the support ends and there is nothing more they can do.

Comments:

rocca
Start.ca
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

Hi WatertownInt,

Unfortunately as we've discussed a few times, there is a congestion issue in your particular neighbourhood that is affecting all cable providers. The area is scheduled for augmentation as soon as possible but not as soon as you nor I would hope, but alas there are construction and permits required to complete this work. We have accommodated you with your request for the modem rental and it's certainly your prerogative to keep bumping this review up to the top of our list, but we have done everything possible to detail your options while this sub-optimal peak congestion period in your neighbourhood is resolved. Again, sorry there isn't a magic bullet solution to your issue but it is being worked on and as soon as the augmentation is complete you'll be back to full speeds 24/7. Thanks and have a good weekend.

Review by RLBL See Profile

• Location: Gloucester,ON
Good "Low Ping, getting advertised speeds... transfer from Rogers was flawless."
Bad "Still no complaints"
Overall "Great value for the coin, have had the service for one week so I will update as time passes"

I have been on Rogers for as long as I can remember. Since ditching our TV service, our internet demands have gone through the ceiling (considering the Rogers ceiling is low... it is not hard to do). As such we started paying through the nose for our internet service and I had had enough. I have been looking to leave to a TPIA for years, but I have always been a bit scared because of the forums on DSLreports...

Then I found Start Communications...

The reports are good
The forums are not cluttered with outage reports
Anyone who I have talked to is loving the experience...

So I joined on the 5th of August 2013. I called Rogers a month previous and said I was leaving. I contacted CS at Start and set an install date for 5 bus. days earlier in case I had issues. The modem was shipped the following day and it was delivered the following day!

I received email confirmations so I knew the order was ready to go when the date was to come.

On the day of the transfer, I unplugged the Rogers modem and Plugged in the one delivered from Start. By the time I came back from lunch I was up and running and I have not looked back. The next business day, I received a call from CS asking if everything went ok! Try and get a courtesy call like that from Rogers...

I just hope Rogers does not come around and cut my line in a month... I put stickers on my line just in case.

Update: August 22nd

Well Rogers did tag my line to be cut and coincidentally my internet went down for a couple of hours (area issue), but when I called the Start CS they got right on it. As my internet came back up they decided to keep the ticket alive anyways, just to have a tech come out and remove the tag.

The best part: Start CS called me the next day to ensure everything went smoothly. I was impressed by the follow-up call.

Update: October 7th

Everything has been great: No outages, no interruptions, always getting advertised speeds. VERY HAPPY!!!

Update March 7, 2014

Still been rock solid! I have never had an outage (other than anything that also effect rCable customers)

Update October 29, 2014

No complaints, at all! The service has been rock solid. Being able to communicate with directly with staff is a great bonus. I wish I have had an incident to comment on how the company reacts to issues, but I have not personally had any. Only once while there was an outage rocca updated customers to what was going on in real time (just an aside, the problem was with rCable).

I am a very happy customer, and anyone else who is with Start (whether I had referred them or not) is also very happy. rCable has thrown some deals my way, but I have not been swayed.

Comments:

PhilipA

@teksavvy.com

Transferred from Rogers, zero issues and excellent service

After the recent price increases from Rogers (10% increase as of Sept 1/13) I decided to switch. The helpful Start staff guided me through the whole process and it was flawless. I received my new modem in the mail within a week. On the day of the changeover, I simply swapped modems and was up and running in literally minutes. Speeds are the same and I have no complaints with the service. Switching over to direct debit (from credit card) was simple and easy to do via the website.

The best part? I'm saving $15/mo vs. Rogers for the same speed with arguably better service.

Thank you Start Communications!

Review by Comfrtbly See Profile

• Location: Peterborough,ON
Good "Everything"
Bad "Nothing, except maybe the cap"
Overall "Great value for your dollar!"

Moved from Cogeco to Start.

Note: price is $49.95 for service + $5.00 for modem rental + HST = $62.09

With the move I got a 2mbps speed increase, monthly cap went from 80G to 300G, better customer service and tech support.

Rental modem is a Cisco DPC3000.

member for 15.2 years, 1538 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by LaZ3R See Profile

Good "Easy and fast install, close enough to advertised speeds, haven't had any downtime!"
Bad "None yet!"
Overall "So far so good!"

Ordered the 25/10 FTTN DSL package and getting close to the advertised speeds! Install went really well with the Bell tech. Really appreciated the follow up call the afternoon following the install to follow up and ensure the install went well! We'll see how the next few months go! I also like the fact that it's all contract free, which is important for me.

member for 11.8 years, 4942 visits, last login: a few hours ago