Start Communications page on DSLReports

Review by whelang See Profile

• Location: Etobicoke,ON
Good "Download Speeds"
Bad "Customer Service, Reliability, Technical Support"
Overall "Avoid unless price is your only consideration"

Here is what I learned from my time with an "Independent" Service provider Start Communications. I have had their Cable Internet Service for some months now and had several long extensive periods of downtime.

Every problem is not their fault, it’s with the infrastructure owned by Rogers.

They have little to no influence with their service provider. If they have an SLA with Rogers it’s an embarrassment to the industry. As a direct customer of Rogers you will have much more influence than it appears Start Communications have. You may not Rogers service, or the cost, but why go with an Independent who takes your money but gives you nothing in return?

Technical support is limited and toothless. Unless you have a problem with the operation of your computer they add no value to you as a customer other than as a contact center.

Creativity is non-existent. I begged their technical support to look at the information in front of them and look for alternative solutions. Maybe validate the information they got back from Rogers since it seemed to me to have some significant inconsistencies. Nothing. This is our process, this is all we can do was the response.

As long as your say "Please" or "I'm sorry to hear that" then you have met all your responsibilities as a Customer Care representative at Start Communications. Problem resolution is not a core objective, politeness fixes all issues.

Now I live in Toronto, the 416 area code. My service went out (was disconnected by Rogers, not Starts fault of course) on Monday. I'm to expect a technician to look into the problem on Saturday. Toronto is listed as one of the top ten developed countries in the world and yet I'm being told it will take 5 days to find an engineer to turn back on service that they turned off in error. Really? This is acceptable? I'm sure I could go much much farther down the list of developed countries and still have better service than this.

Comments:
whelang

join:2014-08-27
Etobicoke, ON

Poor Service from Start Communications, long outages

Every problem is not their fault, it’s with the infrastructure owned by Rogers.

Re: Poor Service from Start Communications, long outages

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me today. Again, I appreciate your feedback and sorry things didn't work out. Any third-party provider in any industry will have an additional layer but the one with Rogers definitely needs thinning. The experience you had is certainly not typical but happens more frequently than it should and through my involvement in CRTC and government, we are working very hard to make a positive difference for all Canadian ISP's (including our competitors) where service intervals are uniform across all providers. We hope to see the fruits of that hard work early next year.

As mentioned on the phone I think the root cause of the issue was in the transfer to another TPIA provider and we actioned every step of the way within minutes, and even got a response back from Rogers in a record amount of time to identify where the problem was and then booked the repair, but the issue with the extended delay is due to a busy installation/repair schedule due to a combination of back to school and vacations.

I wish things had ended differently and again we're working hard to make a difference in providing service repair equivalence in the industry.

Best regards.

Re: Poor Service from Start Communications, long outages

Just a quick follow-up. Looks like it was a Rogers provisioning error (modem got removed from the database when pending disconnect for transfer was processed) and not a physical disconnect. Glad we were able to get things fixed up today and you're back online. All the best.

Shikomu

join:2007-11-16
Ontario

Re: Poor Service from Start Communications, long outages

This is a Top Notch Response. Well done Rocca.

Review by MoE See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Bad "Technical support refuse to help, arrogant and prejudice against old people"

Service was suspended at my mothers request because she went away for 6 months. Requested reconnect. was suppose to be done on Thursday, it got rescheduled 3 times. SC sent a invoice for the connection and service. As of today June 3rd, six days later the service is not working. They insisted to trouble shoot with her despite being made aware that this 80YO lady has no computing competencies and English is her second language. They have called her twice and humiliated her for her inability to follow their instructions. They refuse to send a real person and deal with the problem. As to speak to their owner and the tech support said the owners are too busy to listen to customer complaints and hung up.

Comments:

rocca

3 recommendations

Conversation

Hi Mo,

I returned your call within 40 minutes of receiving your request, unfortunately not fast enough for this review to be prevented I guess but it was good talking with you now.

As we discussed, unfortunately we do not provide an onsite router/wifi configuration service and although we're happy to provide technical support over the phone for pretty much any device, we do require the customers to be able to help walk through those screens since we can't reach the device remotely. As you mentioned, you have someone going onsite and calling us and we'll be more than happy to provide comprehensive configuration support to get your mother online. I hope that our continued efforts will be successful and your review may be reconsidered.

We are very passionate about providing an excellent service and support, unfortunately there was some difference in expectations but I hope we're able to resolve the problem and move past that.

Thanks for the opportunity to respond and I wish you a better evening.

2 recommendations

Re: Conversation

Looks like she's online now, glad it was just a case of getting things plugged in.
spikernum1

join:2010-03-03
Burlington, ON
·Cogeco Cable
quote:
I wonder if there is any truth to this. Or if the customer is wording it to look like Start support hung up when in actuality, he hung up?

FYI - no isp would send a technician to assist with your router issues. They are not responsible for the network you setup. They will usually ask you to plug directly into your modem so that they can rule out any issues with that device. I would guess that in most cases, the modem connected directly to the computer will have a successful connection, and it is something with the user's private network that is causing the issues - again, not something the ISP is responsible for.
Expand your moderator at work
docbill

join:2006-10-24
Stoney Creek, ON
·Bell Fibe
·PortBridge Inter..

Re: Conversation

Not quite true. Some companies in the states do exactly that. My mother has not abilities to maintain her own router and such. I live in Canada, so I'm normally not much help. AT&T however installed her router, her phones, her TV. Usually they help her to resolve the problem over the phone, but there have been times when they decided to send a technician. They even programmed the universal remote for her. It is called customer service. Believe me, they charge her for it, but it is worth every penny.

Really, all ISP's should have someone available for this type of service. If the customer needs it, and is will to pay a reasonable price for it, it is a win-win for everyone.

Bagnon
Snoogans

join:2000-11-19
St Catharines, ON

3 recommendations

lets hope...

...that the OP will change this.

RLBL

join:2012-11-26
Gloucester, ON

Re: lets hope...

Not change, but add a follow-up...

It is better to show a company resolving (few) issues rather than never having them. Continuous glowing reports is good; a bad report here and there with a resolution (which shows a company's integrity and character) is even better.

I would not hope for a retraction as their experience is as real as they believe it be. But I would hope they make an update on how easy it was to get them online, and how they did get the help they needed.

Review by lapedrera See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Bad "The misinformation regarding my cable internet transfer"
Overall "At this point, do not recommend."

Firstly, Everything that is marked in the middle for score is not applicable to my situation. I am ONLY rating the install co-ordination and tech support (or dealing with staff members to sort out the installation transfer).

+++ NOTE - I did not see any way to not have certain options chosen as N/A

I have never gotten Start internet connected, as the connection, in the words of the manager I dealt with, was " a disaster from the get go "

My issues are regarding misleading / incorrect information that was relayed to me during the initial cable internet transfer.

I initially signed up for internet (online) on the 9th of March, as a transfer, with a selected date of install that allowed me to choose the 25th of March as the hookup / connection date for Start.

On the 13th day of March (I believe) I received a call from Start about confirming my date, to which I was advised them that the 25th was the date that it was allowing me to select (if you have ever joined start, you know the drop down I am referring do on the setup pages).

The 25th came and went, on which Rogers attended my location and advised me that the disconnect was complete, and I would be good to have my new internet provider setup. I did not hear anything from start up to that date.

On the 26th I called Start to inquire to where things were, and was advised that they did not setup anything for me as they could not find an account under my name with Rogers. They also told me that had I called the prior day (25th) that they could have rescheduled it for me, but as I had not called, they would do this as a new installation, including an installation fee.

At this point, I did request a manager. (I will not post names, as I note that this forum does not permit so as I do not have permission from them)

After several discussions with the manager, it eventually came to be that (as of April 5th) that he would check with his manager and / or the CEO of the company (which he stated were the only 2 people / levels above him). During our call on Friday, he repeatedly advised me that I could set up this as a new installation and have it hooked up in 5 days (approximately) and then deal with costs later.

After multiple queries about doing so, whether I would get in to a situation of whether I would be stuck paying for something that I should not be (as per multiple discussions with agents / managers) we agreed not to do that, as I did not want to be stuck with a bill for something.

I was also advised I would be contacted by this manager today (April 8th) at 1:00pm, of which I never was. (this has happened on previous occasions as well)

(NOTE - when I had spoken to this manager on previous occasions, he did advise me that he had emailed me, as well as that he uses email as a last resort. I had advised him on prior occasions that I would NOT have access to email, as given the last month, due to the install issues with Start, I do not have internet access - seems that important information as such should be heeded as opposed to ignored)

It seems that Start is very keen on getting people to sign up for their services with a sign up / deal with payment later mentality.

As stated, the manager told me on no less that two occasions that my setup process has been a complete mess from the get go. It is unfortunate that Start seems to have a very poor record of performance when things do not go cleanly.

If you are considering start, just please be aware of things and buyer beware is the best way I can put things.

Comments:
Guru

join:2008-10-01
·TekSavvy DSL

Sorry to hear about your issues!

Sorry to hear about your issues.

From your review, I can't make out whether you talked to the CEO but if you didn't, I would recommend you get in touch with him. He is active on this forum and username is rocca.

When is your install date? Are you staying with Start, giving them a chance to fix? You didn't mention anything so just curious. Keep us updated!

Re: Sorry to hear about your issues!

I have not spoken / contacted him. I believe he has replied to a post on Canadian isp, but I have not had a chance do.

At this point, I do not have an install date, as I was awaiting to hear back from the manager yesterday at 1300 hrs, which has not occurred.

said by lapedrera:

Richard tried to call you twice at 1pm yesterday, the first time it was answered but no voice on the other side, he called right back and got a 'customer unavailable', tried again shortly after with the same result and then sent a followup email to you at 1:55pm after not being able to reach you by phone. We are trying very hard to reach you but have not had much success as I see from the notes at least a dozen other times that we tried but could not get in touch with you with no voicemail and/or customer not available messages. I think if we had been able to get a hold of you we could have resolved this much more quickly. Is there an alternate number we can reach you at, if so please PM me the details so we can get to the bottom of this or please call in today and either speak with Richard (who is available at 1pm) or speak with Al our service desk manager who is here until 4pm.

Re: Sorry to hear about your issues!

Actually, that is a complete fabrication. I was available at 1:00pm, at which I received no telephone call. There was one, however, that came in at 1:39pm.

I do not have an alternate phone number to be reached at.

I have absolutely no intent of speaking with Richard, as he is the source of a large portion of these problems as well, after this above post, the possible source of falsehoods or exaggerations.

As confirmation, I have attached the screen shot from my phone showing that call time on Monday.

(sorry, uploading seems to be having issues - will keep trying to upload screen cap)

I have messaged the MODS about not being able to upload the image (56kb) but will keep trying, in case it is a just a temporary issue??
Guru

join:2008-10-01
said by lapedrera:

Rocca has replied to this review of yours. Before this turns into hit n' miss game, I suggest you provide alternative number as Rocca suggested. Please let us know how it goes.

Re: Sorry to hear about your issues!

They have a number to contact me at, but I am not sure what you mean by a " hit n' miss game " ??

said by lapedrera:

I just tried to call you twice but no answer, if there is a better number to reach you at right now please PM me the details. Thanks.

Re: Sorry to hear about your issues!

No there is only the 1 number that I believe Start has.
What is PM?

Re: Sorry to hear about your issues!

PM is a personal message (ie where information is private as I won't share private information in a public forum) you should see my name flashing at the top of the screen from a message I sent you - you can click on that to view/reply.

I have tried 4 times in the past 30 minutes to reach you but you are not answering the phone and there is no voicemail, can you please let me know when a good time to call you would be?

Thanks.

Ok. I'll look for it.

I do not have a specific time when I will be back to my phone, however, as I have this medium, I am fine with this. It seems that both of us have quick access to it at the moment.

Re: Sorry to hear about your issues!

I am happy to work with you in DSLR about it, but cannot post the private information required to resolve. You can view your private messages here by clicking on »/instant although I think this would be much faster with a 3 minute phone call, I can get all the info and we can move forward.

Re: Sorry to hear about your issues!

I did just post a reply with information. please let me know what else you need, if anything.

Also regarding the private messages (PM). My computer system won't recognize the link (the letter icon at the top, as you mentioned) to be accessed.

I like Workbench, but it has some issues as such.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
said by lapedrera:

it sounds like you're refusing to pickup the phone, do you even have voicemail? i know when Start confirmed my service and I didn't answer they left a message.

Re: Sorry to hear about your issues!

No. I am simply not at home. I have to be out to access internet in wifi, given the last month with Start.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02

said by lapedrera:

i'm not saying you should have working email and voicemail, but it seems like it would make it hard for people to reach you, i'm not sure how you expect any company to be able to.

regardless you should call in and ask to speak to rocca already.

Re: Sorry to hear about your issues!

Agreed, and if you have a suggestion as to how to do that from a free wifi when I have not my phone with me, please let me know.

join:2013-04-08
Agreed, to the contacting Rocca, and if you have a suggestion as to how to do that from a free wifi when I have not my phone with me, please let me know.

said by jmck:

said by lapedrera:

regardless you should call in and ask to speak to rocca already.

London, ON
That explains why you're not answering the phone then.

Can you call in and dial extension 811 and you'll be connected with Al our service desk manager, or if you prefer to talk with me, I'll be available at about 11:30, you can reach me at extension 801. Or please let me know when a good time to call you is and I will try you again, although we haven't had much luck reaching you by phone.

Thanks.

Re: Sorry to hear about your issues!

Indeed, it most certainly is.

I can try calling it, however, what is the purpose if it?
Agreed, there has not been much luck, as the time they say that they are calling in has never happened.

1:00 to 1:39 is not slightly delayed, as per yesterday's occurrence with Richard.

Re: Sorry to hear about your issues!

The purpose to calling would be so we can get this resolved. I don't understand how we can get this resolved if you're not available to be called, not willing to call in nor willing reply to the private messages here that I've sent you? I can't share your information publicly so it's impossible for me to assist you at the level required in a public forum. I have provided several avenues for you to get this resolved, please use one of them and we'd be happy to make things right.

Re: Sorry to hear about your issues!

If by resolved, you mean setup, great. I am fine with this avenue, as I currently have access to it.

MODERATION EDIT: private information removed

What else do you need?

Re: Sorry to hear about your issues!

I need you to call in please, I will try to make myself as available as possible this afternoon, 1-866-434-5888, extension 801. I am not comfortable sharing your private information in public. A 3 minute phone call gets things in motion, let's get this done - we've both spent too much time all morning going back and forth in emails. Thanks.

Re: Sorry to hear about your issues!

Can you please let me know when you expect to be able to call in, and/or when I can call you and I'll make myself available at that time. I am currently unavailable between 3pm and 4pm.

Re: Sorry to hear about your issues!

Got this after my previous post. Since you are not available between 1500 and 1600 hrs, I will try you at 1600 hrs (edited to correct time), or just shortly afterward.

Is that still feasible from your perspective?

join:2013-04-08
My apologies, I mean to say 1600 hrs or shortly past then.

Re: Sorry to hear about your issues!

Hi Chris, yes 4pm will be fine, I will be awaiting your call. Thanks.

Re: Sorry to hear about your issues!

Ok. Expect between 1600-1615hrs.

That is the toll free number and extension 801 for you? Should I ask for Mr. Rocca?

I genuinely hope to have this sorted today (or at least in that direction) but given the last month, I have serious concerns otherwise.

Is there anything I should have for our conversation that I may need to access from the internet, as I can do that now whilst I have access to it.

join:2013-04-08
Certainly. I should be finished some appointments and return home by 3 pm. I can call you then.

Agreed, it has been a month to the day since this has all commenced.

Review

Again I'm sorry to hear of your issue and I also replied to the other site where you posted the same review and also sent you a detailed email this evening regarding your situation to see how I can help you.

The issue was that you placed a transfer order online through our web site on the 9th for the 25th but had your cable disconnected on the 20th. We had the order rejected by Rogers on the 10th since there would be no active service on the 25th and you cannot transfer a deactivated service. We tried to get a hold of you for several days, finally successfully on the 13th to advise that a free transfer was not applicable as free transfers are only available when you have an active service to transfer as per our web site and signup pages. You refused to accept the installation fee and had the order cancelled. A couple weeks later and you call asking why your service isn't installed and we explained the install fee again.

We try to make our web site very clear about the transfer policies and it currently reads on the signup page when you clicked the transfer option - "Transfers must be scheduled at least 10 business days in advance to qualify for a free transfer. If your cable internet service is already scheduled to be cancelled sooner than 10 business days or is no longer active please deselect the active service option."

...if you have suggestions on how we can make those conditions more clear please let me know as we'd like to help avoid any other misunderstandings in the future.

Regardless I gave you my email address which you can reach me at and we can discuss your order again in more detail.

edit: I've also PM'd you here as you mentioned you don't have access to email now. Thanks.
MichelR

join:2011-07-03

Hi rocca,

If I could suggest anything to clarify the transfer option (it's clear, but I had to re-read it twice with my pre-coffee brain this morning), it would be giving an example to go along with what you put in italics above. This situation here about the service being canceled 5 days before the Start activation date is a good one. Sometimes "an image is worth a thousand words", and, well, an example is the next best thing.
Start Communications Forum

·Start Communicat..
Hello, I did respond to the other site as well. As a result of the last month with the installation issues of Start, I do not have access to my email due to lack of internet access at home (where my computer / email account is configured)

Please do not state falsehoods Mr. Rocca.
I never cancelled anything. On my most recent installation date, I was not even aware that it was cancelled and refunded, which is why I was waiting the entire 3 hour window for the Start installation to occur.

I did not have my cable disconnected on the 20th. As I have stated, on the 25th is the day they came. I also called your company on the 26th to which they advised me that had I called on the prior day, they could have rescheduled, but as it was the next day, they could not.

Of course I have issues when the entire process was setup and confirmed by your staff / company as a transfer and then to be told that it would be a chargeable transaction.

I am simply looking for what was advised to be provided.

I really find it appalling that your company is very

Re: Review

I just tried calling you again but there was no answer. Can you please call in and speak with Al or Richard today, we will get things made right - thanks.

Re: Review

Apologies, late reply, but I have messaged you since to arrange to speak with you if you are free at the proposed time.

As I have stated prior (in other messages) I have no interest in speaking with Richard after this entire process.
Tristan

join:2006-09-10
Nepean, ON
·TekSavvy Cable

Improve the web form

I had to re-read the op's complaint, then Rocca's response a few times to understand where things went wrong.

I think the website could certainly use some improvement.

Make the web form more intelligent.

The form should ask the user if it's a transfer. If so, the form should dynamically update to ask for more information, including the user's disconnection date. At that point, it should be able to determine if there is going to be a problem, and report it to the user before they proceed past that page. It could also suggest a termination date if the user wants their transferred service started on a specific date, although I'm not sure if putting such a suggestion on this form is appropriate, maybe a new form?

The form as it currently exists is an issue. Start is leaving it to the customer to decide, and it can be confusing. Keep it simple, and don't make the customer think.

•••••

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
·Bell Fibe

Why not just call

I am overly confused as to why you are being so uncooperative in fixing this situation, especially when the CEO is going hand over foot trying to contact you. It seems you're most interested in having to track down free wifi, not having your own connection and complaining, than you are in resolving the situation.

Starts rep got a "customer unavailable" message which clearly means you have a cell phone, and by the looks of it you simply do not want to take the call. Wether you have a case of telephobia or not, Start seems more interested in correcting the situation than you are.

Why not answer your phone, and get things going so you can stop having to hunt down free wifi.

••••••••

cpsycho

join:2008-06-03
HarperLand

...

Rocca you should inform a moderator to have the post with his name and address removed. I also vote for this review to be removed in the near future, since there is an issues with this guys cell phone and use of it. I think he is using a wifi connection from the church around the corner or something and that's why he cant use his cell phone. But there is no excuse for not calling in and talking to Rocca.

Chris, you made a mistake and did not read the website properly and went click happy. Website made a mistake by allowing options to be picked that you should not be allowed to pick.

••••
Tristan

join:2006-09-10
Nepean, ON
·TekSavvy Cable

Conclusion?

So, is this resolved now? Is the service up and running, and is it working great?

If so, I would recommend re-considering your ratings a bit. I have no problem with people giving bad ratings, I do it myself, but I always re-adjust things as things stabilize and I get some experience under the belt. Zero is a very harsh rating, and well-below consensus. Surely things have gotten better?

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
·FreePhoneLine

RE;

People are quick to write how they get scammed or are upset but when things are working they don't care to think this negative review may be a little harsh and come back to adjust it.

Instead it sits here from an uncooperative customer and an unjustified review. Normally mods should leave reviews alone but when one is written with malice it should be removed.

heck i even vote to have this removed

••••