Start Communications page on DSLReports

Review by lobstarr See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Fast, Excellent Customer Service, Extremley Helpful"
Bad "No rent-to-own option for modems and with that can be a hefty price on top of installation fee"
Overall "Reliable, Fast, Cheaper than the competition, Friendly"

On 50/10 FTTN.

Was doing my research coming in from Alberta (was currently with Shaw). It was pretty fast reaching customer service in order to put my order in and setting up the installation. Start answered all my open questions about this phase and let me change the dates around as a relative in the home had bell for 1 month minimum. Even though it was 1 month, the first couple of days on Start was such a relief in both reliability and speed.

When installation came through, internet wasn't working at all. I had requested the modem to come in bridge mode but it wasn't configured properly and at first the technician on the phone told me that the Bell technician didn't sign off on the order yet. I phoned in a couple hours later and got the same gentleman and said that it was indeed signed off. Went through a couple diagnostics and was able to setup the SmartRG modem in bridge mode properly. After a good 30 minutes troubleshooting, I was online, but if it wasn't my due diligence I would have twiddled my thumbs until this magically appeared online. No matter, the Start technician was more than patient and accommodating with my needs, which is all I could ask for.

As for the speeds, I am getting the advertised down speed but not the up speed. I range from 7.45-7.65 and was hoping someone at Start could take a look at my connection. I need to figure this issue out ASAP as I do a lot of my work uploading to clients constantly and they are usually large media files. Thinking about going the Cable root but we'll see how this pans out.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

Review by CoolCanuck See Profile

• Location: Thornton,ON
Good "ipv6 supported, friendly customer support, fair price"
Bad "Getting online took 12 days and a technician had to be sent. "
Overall "Start is worth the wait! "

*DSL - 6Mbps*

After a long wait - it was definitively worth it! I now have better internet at a fair price.
This is what ALL Canadians should be given.

I am more than impressed. I can't wait to see what Start has in store for the future !

Comments:

Review by Valendite See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "Works as advertised and better. Excellent Support. No contracts, no sneaky tactics."
Bad "No rent-to-own option for the modem"
Overall "Decent value. Excellent service."

·Cogeco Cable
·WIND Mobile
My uncle called in and they told us to call up rogers and cancel with them. So he did that and got the confirmation date and gave it to Start. Fast forward one month later, it works as advertised.. I get 11 or 12mbps down and 0.2mbps upload on a 6mbps download package. It was pretty easy, just hook up the modem with the router. Make sure you restart everything (plug in and out) because my internet didn't seem to work the next morning (the morning the service was activated) but it did after I rebooted. The usage tracker is also advantageous to you, it doesn't track uploads and it looks like its a little bit inaccurate to your favour. I downloaded a 447MB file and only 418MB was recorded. I'm also surprised since it only takes a few minutes for it to be updated while with Rogers or other ISPs it gets updated daily during maintenance times.

Right now its $29.95 + $5.00/mo rental and $39.50/mo with taxes. So far so good with day 1 of service. I'm not sure but I think they also do a check-up call in the afternoon or an e-mail depending on what preference you specified. The only downside would be there is no rent-to-own option for the modem. The shipping fee seems to be waived if you rent but not if you buy, which is weird. Anyhow my uncle had a $0 installation fee since I was switching in from another cable service provider. Since I'm staying over the service has been terrific nevertheless.

Comments:

rocca
Start.ca
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

Response

Thanks for the review. Just FYI, while there isn't an official rent-to-own program you can buy the modem out after some time when you're ready and you'll get roughly half of your rental fees put back towards a discounted rate on the buyout.

Review by wilsonlam97 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Start offers straightforward easy-to-use usage tracking and great support."
Bad "None."
Overall "I would highly recommend Start purely based on my experience with them."

I chose Start as my cable internet provider back in July and I haven't looked back since then. The service I signed up for was their $39.95 25/2 Cable plan with 150GB cap and along with that I ordered a Thomson 476 modem from them.

The installation was a breeze and Start provided excellent support by giving me follow-up calls to make sure that the activation was done on time and on the correct date. I've honestly never thought I would meet someone so dedicated to call me back personally and help me with my switch from my previous provider (Distributel). I simply had to call them over the phone, give them my billing information and credit card number, and receive a modem a few days later to plug in. It was that simple. Everything just worked and through the 4+ months I've been with them I have been more than pleased. I recommend all my friends to Start and cannot praise their service enough.

member for 3.7 years, 223 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Laidback See Profile

• Location: Woodstock,ON
Good "no wait times"
Bad "don't know yet"
Overall "rock solid"

Been with them for just about year now. Even though it is Rogers network, my Start connection has been stable and steady since day 1. The odd outage has been attributed to local upgrades. We had 1 instance where speed was way down, and 1 call to tech support clarified that we had 1 setting in router that needed to change.

I have recommended them to family and friends.

As of July 1, I changed my service to unlimited 30/5. I was on the 25/1 profile which was grandfathered a couple of times. If Hindsight was foresight, I would have changed before the new rates, but alas, since I did not need the higher service at the time, I did not bother. Maxing out my cap due to my daughter moving back home was a major factor.

The change over was seamless and doing a quick test, below is my current speed test. There have been a few hiccups over the last year, but overall, the service has been rock solid.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3606556404

member for 12.9 years, 3497 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by T Stewart See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Easy to setup, fast speed, good value for the money IMHO"
Bad "Nothing as of yet"
Overall "Would absolutely recommend Start.ca"

I will admit that I was skeptical at first but my options for getting away from Rogers were very limited so I thought I'd give them a try. After ordering a package, the new cable modem was at my door within 2 days! On the day of switchover everything went very well and my only service interruption was the time it took me to unplug the old hardware, plug in the new and within 5 minutes I was back online. I will definitely recommend Start.ca, keep up the good work!

Comments:

Review by Tristan See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Consistent high speed, consistent good service, consistent high approval rating, real referral credits"
Bad "24h to 120h delay to provision customer-owned modem if previous ISP doesn't release modem on-time. Not Start's fault!"
Overall "Best ISP I've had to date. Highly recommended. Better than Rogers, Bell and Teksavvy"

8/4/14
Saving hundreds of dollars per year, receiving higher quality of service, and being treated with respect - these pro "features" are not available from incumbents service providers.

Signed on for Start's VOIP home phone service last week. Looking forward to saving more money. Total time in the phone queue waiting for a customer service professional: less than 1 minute.

6/1/14
Here's a quick cost comparison and 6-month dslreports.com / broadbandreports.com rating of Bell, Rogers, Teksavvy and Start high-speed internet, for what I figure is the most popular speed tier. (Note, prices are after any promotions expire - the regular price, not including rental fees, installation fees, administration fees, not part of a bundle, etc.)

Bell Canada: 50/10/175 $94.95 Rating: 59%
Rogers Communications: 60/10/320 $84.99 Rating: 62%
Teksavvy: 60/10/300 $69.95 Rating: 80%
Start Communications: 60/10/300 $65.00 Rating: 97%

Why would anyone want to pay for the highest service with the lowest monthly bandwidth caps, and the lowest overall rating?

I know where I want to be.... the lowest price with decent speed and the highest overall rating.

Note the ISP ratings appears to correspond nicely with the price, monthly cap and speed.

4/20/14
Been with Start for over a year, and the service is still going strong, reliable and fast, with much less downtime than I ever had with Rogers and Teksavvy. Great value, and great service.

Rogers latest tv ads say "only ISP certified for consistent speeds". Yeah, right. Just before I left Rogers, my speeds were all over the place. My jump from Rogers to Teksavvy, and finally to Start Communications gave increasing amounts of consistency. Start has been the most consistent.

8/13/13
My Start internet service is still humming along. It's simply fantastic. This is the internet my previous ISP's were unable to deliver.

6/28/2013
Our 45/4 connection continues to deliver decent speeds. Speedtest.net testing hits 45/3.82 minimum, and I've hit over 100 down with speedboost. Start's performance is better than I expected. It has been more reliable than Rogers, and more reliable than Teksavvy.

Trust me, the $5 more it costs with Start is worth every penny.

3/28/2013
I have had consistent, fast service, with almost no problems. The one thing I definitely notice in switching to Start was that they don't play the blame card as much as other ISP's. My previous ISP seemed to always be blaming Rogers for something. I do not regret my switch to Start, and highly recommend Start to anyone wanting fast, consistent internet, from a company which consistently receives top marks by customers.

Even with Teksavvy offering the same speed tier for $5 less than Start (in June/July for Ottawa), I would not return to Teksavvy. I would gladly pay more. Start Communications is an internet service provider that matches the level of end-to-end service quality I give my own customers.

2/20/2013
Downstream and upstream speeds have been fairly consistent. The service hasn't had any real issues. I think we had a power fluctuation which caused my modem to barf, so I will watch to see if it happens again. It has only ever done this once, so if it doesn't happen again, it's an anomaly.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with Start Communications.

2/13/2013
So far, my connection appears stable, and speeds have been reasonably consistent. Each time I have tested my speed, I've hit no less than 44Mbps down, and 3.89Mbps up, except on my furthest wireless machine, which tops out around 40Mbps down (limitations of wireless technology and distance covered).

I'm pretty happy with the speeds. The before-connection questions I asked led to a smooth and problem-free reconfiguration of my mail server.

I'm still evaluating, and cannot comment on connection reliability until I have a few more weeks under the belt.

Thank you Start for making the jump to aggregated POI's, offering fast speeds at reasonable prices, and not making me wait 30-45 minutes in a phone queue.

2/10/2013
Shortly after 10am today, my connection came roaring to life. Initial speed test:
>45Mbit down (w/ speedboost)
3.89Mbit up

Will be testing the connection over the next few weeks, then will update my ratings accordingly.

The length of time I had to wait for the connection to come online will certainly deter my friends from switching. I was lucky, I tethered to my cellphone, so I didn't lose any time, other than knocking my email server offline.

Corrected my primary and alternate numbers. In the event of connection problems, they will attempt to call my cellphone first.

Customers owning their own modems and switching providers, in conjunction with iISP's such as Teksavvy which hold on to the modem registration right up to the last possible minute are a leading cause of delays, and is something Start is trying to resolve.

Best possible way for customers to handle this: terminate your old ISP on one day, and start your new ISP on the next day.

2/10/2013
Wife retrieved our voicemails from our VOIP this morning. Turns out two different employees from Start have been trying to inform us that our service should now be online. Obvious fail, since VOIP not working. Ensure the primary number is actually a number someone can contact you at when the connection is not working. They didn't once try calling my alternate number. One of them mentioned emails they are sending me are bouncing back, which makes sense under the circumstances - my email server is still waiting for the connection to start working.

Have to call Start back at 10am (when they open) to get them looking into things. This will add another 24-48hrs. Let's see, start date: 2/7/2013, today is 2/10/2013. 4 days without service.

I am reducing the points awarded for install co-ordination.

2/9/2013
As of 12pm today, the modem has not been provisioned.

The modem was unprovisioned from Teksavvy sometime after 2am on February 8th 2013, which is actually the day after my cancelation date.

Had to call Start back to get the provisioning request resubmitted on 2/8/2013, and I believe I was told it could take up to 24hrs (maybe I misheard and the rep said 48hrs?).

During a later call, was told it could take longer. Apparently, customer-owned modems are more problematic to provision, and can take additional time. I was not originally informed of this, but have since been brought up-to-speed. In addition, Teksavvy can take longer to release a modem, as per their terms of service (must go check for myself).

I usually tell people to be prepared for it to take up to 7 days, so we're still in the ballpark. Not happy about the delay, but right now, I'm focusing on getting back online.

It's important to note, I can only review the install co-ordination at this time, which is why the rating appears low.

2/6/2013
CRTC has ruled, CNOC members do not get the new speed tiers Rogers is offering, so long as they are using the disaggregated POI model. Disaggregated model is being phased out, and service will end November 15th 2013. Start has the faster speed tiers, because they use the aggregated POI model.

2/1/2013
Just received my first invoice showing my prepayment for first months service, so my account shows a credit for $67.74. It also shows a $25 credit for a referral I made. So far, I am satisfied with Start, and my service hasn't even officially begun. If the 6 month rating for Start holds true, my satisfaction will reach new heights.

My previous iISP had a referral program too, but I never saw a single credit. Instead, I was going to have to gather the information of everyone who signed up to them on account of my recommendation. A task that was going to prove to be time consuming, and might prove difficult for at least one friend, as I had to kick him to the curb for being an insensitive dick. The lack of referral credit is not what caused me to drop my previous iISP.

Is it February 7th yet? No? Damn.

1/31/2013
Signed up with Start Communications last week. Provision date is Feb 7th 2013. Switching from Teksavvy to Start.

I ordered the Pro Cable Internet package, 45Mbps download, 4Mbps upload, 350GB/mo cap. My old service was maxed out at 28Mbps/1Mbps/300GB.

Made the switch for several reasons:

1. No install fee since I already had active cable high-speed internet service.
2. Access to Roger's new speed tiers with higher upstream speeds up to 4Mbps. This is due to Start's aggregated POI with Rogers. Some other iISP's haven't made the switch to aggregated POI's, are still on non-aggregated POI's, thus don't have access to higher speeds.
3. Reasonable price.
4. 97% rating, seems fairly consistent, iISP seems attentive.

Will update this review as I evaluate the service.

member for 8 years, 1544 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

NewToStart

Start Problems from the Start

Just emailed Start this message:
"Help !!
Got cable package installed and it is awful.
Got 20Mbps package and can't stream a movie (whether through Wifi or connected directly to modem) without buffering every few seconds.
Tried different movies on different sites.
Tried different wireless routers and tried connected directly to modem.
Download speeds ridiculously slow through Wifi and connected directly to modem.
Tried different files through torrent, through direct download.
No matter what time of day or night.
Really need fixed right away.
Otherwise, unfortunately makes no sense continuing with service at this rate, because not getting to do anything I use internet for."

Little bit frustrated right now just because I had high expectations of internet service but will keep updated re: how / if Start fixes issues. Want to give them a chance. Maybe they can simply fix and make me happy.

NewToStart

Start Problems from the Start

Update: 20-something minutes to download Roboscan free antivirus (approx 140MB) from official Roboscan site. Doubly frustrated.

rocca
Start.ca
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

Re: Start Problems from the Start

Sorry to hear you have problems but I'm not sure why you would scream this from the top of every mountain as per your identical post on dslr, Facebook and reviews without so much as contacting us for support first? Not really fair is it to be posting negative reviews without giving us a chance to address your problem? We ended up calling you after having to ask for your number on Facebook and I see from the notes that you are getting full speeds without your router in the mix but nonetheless are trying to assist you with your router speed problems. You don't need to try and blanket shame us into helping, we are happy to be helpful and you just need to call or email us when you need support.

AnonymousNam

Re: Start Problems from the Start

Update:

To above post, not sure what screaming from top of every mountain and blanket shame means. But last time I checked internet was open forum for exercising freely and openly thoughts and opinions. Being honest and open, so hope you don't have a prob re being honest and open. Or with being highly frustrated re: circumstances. And did speak to tech before posting. Don't appreciate the "blanket shame us" etc comments (as a customer or otherwise) because its implying that that was my intention which is not at all the case.

However, back to issue update, spoke to Start tech agent yesterday (and don't want to give name because I'm always mindful of privacy) and we dealt with issue for almost 2 hours on the phone. And I came out of conversation thinking that that was possibly the best customer service I ever received (that I can recall at this point). Tech agent was so helpful in trying to sort out issue and whatever problem came up, trying to figure it out. Also, he kept saying thank you for your patience all the time which I really appreciated. And it really helped ease the frustration I was feeling re the issue. And, at the end of it, I was able to stream a movie last night. So I'll try it again over the week etc and see if it continues to be good. Bottom line: what that tech agent did (his superb customer service) really smoothed things over for me and made me a much happier customer.

SicknTired

@start.ca
I have issues with them too & although I will say that I do like their internet speed a lot, I don't know if it justifys me staying with them or going elsewhere, but.... I am fed up with the terrible Customer Sercvice from Billing!!!! Tech is okay cant really complain there, but for a business with 10- people they certainily have no idea what is going on with my account half the time!

No one has a clue what is going on in Billing, billed 2 times for the same service :S, Yet they justify it, it ridiculas. Kinda pissess me off

·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico
·TekSavvy Cable

Re: Start Problems from the Start

You are posting in the wrong place dude. This is my review. Sounds like you either need to post your own review, or seek help in the forums or through Start's tech support.

There's no sense complaining about it here. I can't help you.

Sorry to hear you're frustrated. I'm sure with a bit of work dealing with the right people, your connection will get diagnosed and brought ship shape.

WiMax

join:2003-07-12
Canada
·Cogeco Cable

AnonymousNam

@allstream.net

Re: Start

Re: SicknTired – I’d understand your frustration. To give my fair opinion, if Start can sort out (the obviously important) issue of billing, then they do have pros to them. So you may want to consider that and weigh options. I read reviews on DSL Reports and Canadian ISP forums on all / most companies and that helped me a lot because I felt people were fair and honest (good or bad). Actually, that’s how I found out about Start in the first place. Do hope your issue gets resolved.

Re: WiMax – “Anyone that uses the name anonymous and then changes to a different user is highly suspect. And, if you have been mouthing off on other forums about the same thing and not calling Start or responding to their attempts to help you, then maybe Start is not for you. Have you tried iKtel? www.iktel.ca”
>>>> Is Wi your first name, and is Max your last? And what’s your phone number and email address? Just to connect the dots, what makes “WiMax” any less anonymous than the username “Anonymous” or any other username?
>>>> And are you sure I didn’t try calling Start before posting or respond to Start’s attempts to help? Are you really sure about that? Maybe I did. Maybe I didn’t. But you have no clue, right?
>>>> Also, do you know what the other forums are? Could it have been a private facebook message to Start Communications vs a wall post? Or could it have been front page news in the Toronto Star? Maybe it was. Maybe it wasn't. But you have no clue, right?
>>>> And re: “mouthing off”, seriously now … have you seen your ikTel Networks “book / novel” review lately? The one that has 6 updates to the post including … and I quote … “This company gets nothing right.” … “Yet another failed promise.” … “UPDATE 29Jan13” … “UPDATE 28Sep12” … “UPDATE 26Sep12 9am” … “UPDATE 25Sep12” … “UPDATE 26Aug12” … “UPDATE 10Mar12” …

So come on now, be fair.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
In any event, would just like to request for all to stop posting to this. This is my last post here. Just because Tristan indicated this is his post and he is quite right. Didn’t mean to post here initially. A mistake. New at posting / open forums.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
·Bell Fibe

Unrealistic expectations

Just wondering why, in your review, you criticize the delay that was caused by using the modem you were bringing from TekSavvy, but then mention that it was TekSavvy who does not release the modem MAC until the last possible moment.

You also mentioned that the delay you endured would deter your friends from switching. Why would this very isolated (based on the 97%+ approval rate of this ISP) deter a switch?

·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico
·TekSavvy Cable

Hi Coaxguy.

I told Teksavvy to push the request through, to not leave it, but the CSR didn't seem to understand. As a result, the modem remained locked to an account longer than it was supposed to, possibly into late Feb 8th or early Feb 9th. When Start tried to get Rogers to provision the modem I own on Feb 7th, they couldn't. Considering requests take time, and the defacto response is 24 to 48hrs, timing is kinda important. Same-day turned into next day, turned into the next day, turned into the next day.

My friends are not as patient as I. Not all my friends would be deterred however, but some certainly will.

I have compiled a nice little doc my friends, family and associates can have to explain the process (for cable), including potential delays. I always tell people, do the switch-over at a time when you don't need the internet for about a week.

Let's face it, you and I check dslreports.com, but not everyone will. I do tell people Start has a 97% rating. My friends whom followed my progress on facebook, and noticed I wasn't posting as much as I usually do, will stop and think if they want the delays or potential frustration. Sure, it took longer than it should have. I have tried to explain why, and that it should happen same-day usually, and that the gains are worth the pains. In the end, some people will choose to steer clear, when someone they know experiences delays.

Start is trying to work this out because it's an ongoing concern for them. They are genuinely interested in providing a smooth transition for everyone who want to switch providers

So far, I think Start has done a great job, and my rating for install coordination and pre-sales information reflects the fact that they are still working out the kinks, and still have room to improve.

I think customers need to be better armed with more information.

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
·Bell Fibe

Re: Unrealistic expectations

I can totally see your point. I know my house hold relies on the internet heavily for work, entertainment and communications, so I can see your frustration with the 4+ day absence.

In the long run after reading your reply I can understand the rating now. Hope it's smooth sailing here on out. I've got 2 family members and a buddy switched over and it's been perfect for them in terms of line quality and reliability.

Cheers.

Re: Unrealistic expectations

So far, very happy with the speeds. Watched Netflix Super-HD stream yesterday with not so much as a single hiccup.
pcfxer

join:2006-12-11
Orleans, ON

Start is doing what others can not

Extremely helpful service from the customer service representatives. The CSR was able to explain and discuss very technical aspects of the service in question and was able to still provide the down to Earth service that made me come away from the call with the only decision I could make; go with Start.

It seems that Start expands after they have figured out the pros/cons and worked out any relationships with Rogers/Bell. This shows and it also happens that I'm paying the same that I was for 28/1 cable - heavily congested for 25/10 and just about no congestion.

Review by daeron See Profile

• Location: Ottawa
Good "Excellent product, amazing customer service"
Bad "None!"
Overall "You won't be disappointed"

May 24, 2012 Original review

Package: Advanced Cable Internet
Speed: 28 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload
Usage: 300 GB
Price: $49.95
Modem: Purchased my own

I called in to Rogers on April 11th to give them my one month notice and ordered the Start service for May 11th.

On the day of my switch over there was an issue. I called in to see what was up, I waited no longer than 30 seconds before talking to someone. They were polite, straightforward and knew exactly what to do and what to look for. Low and behold Rogers for whatever reason didn't provision my modem correctly, I was stuck in their walled garden. My case was sent up to the provisioning team to get Rogers to put my modem on the network.

I called up the next day and there had not been an update from Rogers. I updated my situation on DSLR and Rocca picked up on it almost instantly. He asked me to email him the updates and from that point on he personally kept me in the loop on what was happening with my account. It had to be escalated once more with Rogers, but I was up and running on the 15th.

The service has been fantastic. On rogers they had provisioned my modem as a D2 (even though it's a D3) and had capped my speed regardless of what package I was on. On Start I'm actually receiving the speed I'm paying for. I went from a 120GB cap to a 300GB for 10 bucks less than what I was paying for.

The support was awesome. You never want to have to call in, but when you do you want someone who is polite and knowledgeable. Start support is that and more, they seem to genuinely care about your situation and want to help in whatever way possible.

I highly recommend this service, I can't say enough good things. It's so nice to finally be free from Rogers and on an ISP who actually cares about their customer.

Will update again in a couple months.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update August 9th, 2012

So it's been almost three months and I wanted to leave a little update. I have had zero issues since being with Start. My speeds have been consistent and my connection has been rock solid. Highly recommend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update July 15th, 2014

After a few years I thought it would be worthwhile to update my review. Summer of 2013 I moved to a new house and received rogers services for free for 6 months (I couldn't turn down 6 months TV/internet for free). What a disaster that was...as soon as the 6 months was up I went right back to Start. The transfer was seamless this time through (I bumped my install coordination to the top as the first run through there were a few wrinkles that happened). I was on the 45/4 profile but decided to make the switch to the 60/10 when the new speeds were announced. I had put in my request for the speed change and 48 hours later I was on the new profile. Perfect.

I can honestly say I'd had only one blip since being on start which lasted a total of 5 minutes downtime which I can assume was rogers doing work in my area as it's a new build and still looks like a construction site. My speeds have always been consistent even during peak times.

I currently have FTTH available to me but because of the CRTC only Bell is currently allowed to offer me anything on it, no thanks. I'm hoping in the next 6-12 months that CNOC will have made some headway on the issue and get third parties the ability to use the FTTH infrastructure.

All in all, super happy to be a customer of Start and I highly recommend the service.

member for 2.3 years, 540 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

want cheap

@99.250.91.x

Start

Glad to read your update and positive feedback about Start. I'm going to try it. Rogers sucks. Do they have any kind of TV packages or do you know of anything besides Bell and Rogers?
daeron

join:2012-05-11
Ottawa

Re: Start

There are a few options out there with IPTV (such as VMedia and Zazeen). In order to use these services you have to have internet with them as well though which is a big of a bugger (you can thank CRTC for that).

Review by Zed071 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "FANTASTIC customer support and relations"
Bad "They still have to deal with Bell and Rogers"
Overall "Great value and support"

First tried to migrate a DSL circuit to Start, but the local telco screwed up the order. Start suggested cable and was able to get a quicker than normal install date.

Everything is running fast and smooth! Can't do any better than that!

Tech support and billing have been outstanding to deal with. They understood my frustration - and were experiencing the same. We were able to work through the install issues as quick as the incumbents will allow them to to get the service up, and billing handled everything behind the scenes so I didn't get charged for an extra month with no service.

Highly recommended!

member for 4 years, 1263 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Proteus See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Service,Customer Service, Tech support = Awesome"
Bad "Nothig To Report, Solid So Far"
Overall "Excellent service so far"

Just thought I'd post my "2 cents" on what was rather a flawless transition from Robbers cable to Start Communication's cable service.
Had a Rogers cable cancellation date for the 30th of July (service ran until just after midnight), and a cable activation date with "Start" for the 31st of July.
Swapped out my modems this morning and setup a wireless router and presto service is alive, alive I tell you..Was initially concerned as I work remotely from my home office and I didn't want to experience any downtime.
Did a speed test via »www.speedtest.net/, and the service is as advertised.

Package: Standard Cable Internet (30 Mbps down, 5 Mbps up).
Modem: Thomson DCM476 Docsis 3.0
Router: Asus RT-N66U

What I liked from start communication initially was their positive reviews, which in turn led me to consider & switch ISP's, in addition no activation fee charged, no hidden fees, outstanding customer service, and a nice price point for the services they offer, plus no contract!

So far so good for the first day ...Now if only they offered IPTV