Start Communications page on DSLReports

Review by qureshia See Profile

• Location: Milton,ON
Good "Fast installation - amazing tech support - outstanding value for $$$"
Bad "Didn't find them sooner!!!"
Overall "Get Bell (Hell)/ Rogers (Robbers) / Shaw (Claw) out of your life and get true unlimited Internet!"

Got the FTTN package 25/15... I have a very old line from Bell so D/L was sustained but upload is capped at 7Mbps MAX.

I ordered the service 9 days ago and got it done today. What a true joy; no interruptions, no downtime; straight-up switch from Bell and Loving the better speed at lower rate with NO CAP! (total switch-over time was less than 15 minutes).

I hope the service keeps up! From all the reviews here, these guys appear to have the Midas touch!

Thank you Start.ca for making it such an easy experience...

Comments:

Review by boblazaar See Profile

Good "Great Speeds, Reliable, Affordable, quite frankly the best Customer Service ever."
Bad "Not much yet!"
Overall "Run, don't walk to Start!"

Ordered the 30 Mbps package with unlimited about a month before Robbers was contracted was up. Got emails confirming signup and shipping of modem THAT night! Modem came 2 days later. Impressed already.

Service started and it was seamless. Not a single issue. Gave it a few days and thought, they will make service changes pretty quick, let's try the 150 Mbps service and that was my only hiccup. BUT that was my fault for owning a crap router (not a gigbit router). In the meantime went down to 60 Mbps and was good to go! Thankfully the unlimited window between 2 - 8 am mean I don't have to have the unlimited option (I work shifts) but a nice option to have at a moments notice!

Couldn't be happier that I switched for the reliability alone but the customer service is seriously second to none. Can't stress enough how helpful, quick and amazing their support is!

It's only been 2 months so I will post a follow up at the 6 month mark but so far love Start!

Comments:

Review by jonbon See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Customer Service, so far, is great, fast response (for myself)"
Bad "nothing so far, and hope nothing will be ^^"
Overall "Cheap, good speeds. no complaints."

I was either going to go with Distributel or Start Communications, the only difference between the two was that Distributel has unlimited bandwidth and Start has 300GB. I reason I went with Start Communications, and this is one of the many reasons I went with Start. Was the fast response time when I used their contact us page on their site. It was no more than a day to get a response (well this was when I email them at like 2am or something like that), but also when I emailed them in the middle of the day, they got back to me, that same day maybe a few hours later. And that is what I call fast response.

Also I ordered my service well in advanced like 15days early, since I didn't want to pay for two internet services at the same, I was with Bell internet (which was decent but not fast enough.)

The speed that I am getting with Start is amazing. I sometimes get more than the speed advertised (which I am not complaining about at all.) Also at the current time (where I am located), the usage meter is not available, so as it states when I click on the view usage, its not available and says I am will not be charged for going over my bandwidth. I am taking full advantage of that ^^.

The installation for this service was pretty easy, since the cable only needed to be like less than 10ft from where the cable comes into the house, the tech arrived a good time, had a time slot of 2pm-5pm, and the tech showed up at 2:15pm (didn't receive a call, but that did not matter to me).

It would have been nice if they had a self-install kit, where no tech was needed, but I do understand that they need to make sure the signal and all that is working.

Also after the tech was finished (didn't stay around to see if it worked, nor did he really have to), I hooked it all up and got the rogers activation page. I called Start tech support was only on hold for less than 10minutes (which in my opinion is good and I have seen worse.) I was told to wait 2hrs after it was installed before they could do anything, no complaints there, but I did ask the tech if I can confirm the MAC address to make sure it was on my account, it was. So not more than 30-45mins later (as I was not home when it started) the internet was working and ran a speed test and got 36.90Mbps download / 0.99Mbps upload, which is above the 28Mbps download and I've been pretty much getting 28Mbps or higher when I run speed test.

Also I would like to point out that another thing that caught my eye when choosing a new ISP was the fact I didn't have to shell out money to purchase my modem, I loved it when I saw I was able rent. And yes I know in the long run its more expensive but that does not bother me.

If someone ever did ask me what ISP should I look into, I would recommend Start Communications. (even though its only been about a week since I got service^^)

member for 2.2 years, 830 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by faidwen7 See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Absolutely fabulous service, and the ability to communicate intelligently with folks in the "
Bad "I haven't had any "
Overall "Pleasant experience."

I am a tough user of the internet. With some serious needs and demands when it comes to the quality of service I have, and its availability. I have the 150/15 package, initially starting off with a lower package, but upgrading easily once the 150/10 (now 15) came out. I also still have Bell as a backup, but haven't had the need to use the crossover since switching to Start.

Primarily, the thing that I find the most beneficial, is the ability to ACTUALLY converse with the folks at Start. They actively engage with their subscribers on a regular basis. Conveying upgrades, ideas, and issues as they arise.

I eagerly await the next service level, and applaud Start for its continued support, quality, and availability.

Thanks again!

member for 8.6 years, 30 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dmbcanada See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Speeds as advertised, excellent pre and post sale support"
Bad "Temp line, website could be better"
Overall "Much better than Teksavvy"

·TekSavvy DSL
I decided to switch to Start from Teksavvy after 4 years of service. Teksavvy was good at the beginning but the last few years they have grown and I feel they dropped in customer service, as well as constant email issues the last few months. Researched Start and heard very good things and they were a local company which was even better. Talked to people on the forums as well as Rocca himself and had all my questions and concerns answered when it came to what package to choose. I opted to go with the Standard Cable Internet (30/5) which was recommended as I also wanted to sign up for their VOIP service. Got my preferred install date which could have been a lot sooner, but due to my work schedule it was not possible. Rogers tech came out and installed a temp line which I am not too happy about since it won't be buried until next summer most likely. Other than that he was able to install the line in my preferred location and also mentioned he could not touch my modem but I was good to go. 5 minutes after he left I plugged in the modem and it was already provisioned and I was getting the full speeds! Start called a few hours later to follow up on the install which was a nice touch. Now just waiting for my phone number to port over from Teksavvy on the 11th.

In summary I am happy so far with Start, getting the speeds as advertised and had all my questions answered accurately. I have already recommended them to co-workers and family members in the London area who are looking to switch from Big Red or BHELL.

Comments:

Review by RLBL See Profile

• Location: Gloucester,ON
Good "Low Ping, getting advertised speeds... transfer from Rogers was flawless."
Bad "Still no complaints"
Overall "Great value for the coin, have had the service for one week so I will update as time passes"

I have been on Rogers for as long as I can remember. Since ditching our TV service, our internet demands have gone through the ceiling (considering the Rogers ceiling is low... it is not hard to do). As such we started paying through the nose for our internet service and I had had enough. I have been looking to leave to a TPIA for years, but I have always been a bit scared because of the forums on DSLreports...

Then I found Start Communications...

The reports are good
The forums are not cluttered with outage reports
Anyone who I have talked to is loving the experience...

So I joined on the 5th of August 2013. I called Rogers a month previous and said I was leaving. I contacted CS at Start and set an install date for 5 bus. days earlier in case I had issues. The modem was shipped the following day and it was delivered the following day!

I received email confirmations so I knew the order was ready to go when the date was to come.

On the day of the transfer, I unplugged the Rogers modem and Plugged in the one delivered from Start. By the time I came back from lunch I was up and running and I have not looked back. The next business day, I received a call from CS asking if everything went ok! Try and get a courtesy call like that from Rogers...

I just hope Rogers does not come around and cut my line in a month... I put stickers on my line just in case.

Update: August 22nd

Well Rogers did tag my line to be cut and coincidentally my internet went down for a couple of hours (area issue), but when I called the Start CS they got right on it. As my internet came back up they decided to keep the ticket alive anyways, just to have a tech come out and remove the tag.

The best part: Start CS called me the next day to ensure everything went smoothly. I was impressed by the follow-up call.

Update: October 7th

Everything has been great: No outages, no interruptions, always getting advertised speeds. VERY HAPPY!!!

Update March 7, 2014

Still been rock solid! I have never had an outage (other than anything that also effect rCable customers)

Update October 29, 2014

No complaints, at all! The service has been rock solid. Being able to communicate with directly with staff is a great bonus. I wish I have had an incident to comment on how the company reacts to issues, but I have not personally had any. Only once while there was an outage rocca updated customers to what was going on in real time (just an aside, the problem was with rCable).

I am a very happy customer, and anyone else who is with Start (whether I had referred them or not) is also very happy. rCable has thrown some deals my way, but I have not been swayed.

Comments:

PhilipA

@teksavvy.com

Transferred from Rogers, zero issues and excellent service

After the recent price increases from Rogers (10% increase as of Sept 1/13) I decided to switch. The helpful Start staff guided me through the whole process and it was flawless. I received my new modem in the mail within a week. On the day of the changeover, I simply swapped modems and was up and running in literally minutes. Speeds are the same and I have no complaints with the service. Switching over to direct debit (from credit card) was simple and easy to do via the website.

The best part? I'm saving $15/mo vs. Rogers for the same speed with arguably better service.

Thank you Start Communications!

Review by Comfrtbly See Profile

• Location: Peterborough,ON
Good "Everything"
Bad "Nothing, except maybe the cap"
Overall "Great value for your dollar!"

Moved from Cogeco to Start.

Note: price is $49.95 for service + $5.00 for modem rental + HST = $62.09

With the move I got a 2mbps speed increase, monthly cap went from 80G to 300G, better customer service and tech support.

Rental modem is a Cisco DPC3000.

Comments:

Review by LaZ3R See Profile

Good "Easy and fast install, close enough to advertised speeds, haven't had any downtime!"
Bad "None yet!"
Overall "So far so good!"

Ordered the 25/10 FTTN DSL package and getting close to the advertised speeds! Install went really well with the Bell tech. Really appreciated the follow up call the afternoon following the install to follow up and ensure the install went well! We'll see how the next few months go! I also like the fact that it's all contract free, which is important for me.

member for 11.8 years, 4937 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by rajeevetech See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Exceptional Tech support"
Bad "Nothing "
Overall "wow! I have never experienced service like this."

This is my 3rd service provider since I got a home phone. Initially I was with Rogers when I was in Toronto/Mississauga, but when I moved to Burlington I couldn't carry over my Rogers service so I had to subscribe either Bell or Cogeco due to my location. So I didn't want get Bell nor Cogeco as my home phone service provider. So I had to go ahead and get Vonage as my home phone service provider. $45 unlimited calling Canada/US and 60 other countries (fair usage policy (5000 mins/mth).

Recently Vonage increased their price to $47 for the same above noted service, so I had a choice accept the price increase or look for another service provider. Then I came across Start Communications VoIP service which was $15 + tax for Unlimited Canada wide calling which was what I was looking for. I have never dealt with 3rd party independent service providers before so I was a bit reluctant to make the switch. So I did some research at DSLreports and to my surprise the reviews were amazing and bad reviews were handled in a professional manner by the company. So I thought of giving it a try to port my number from Vonage to Start.

My initial contact with Start was on Oct 1st 2014 and I purchased the modem and gave my consent to Start to move my number. I was told that within 10 days which is 11th of Oct will be my transition date to Start. On the 3rd of Oct 2014 I did get my Grandstream H701 VoIP adapter via Canada Post. For my surprise it was plug and play just out of the box and I was able to make outgoing calls no issues.

Then came the issue that I never wanted but all this were user (which is me) related issue nothing to do with Start. The adapter came with the default password so I wanted to change it, so I did change it and the device rebooted after applying the settings then after the reboot I was not able to log in back as I couldn't remember what password which I enter, so had to do a full hardware reset which erased the settings which was in placed before. So now I had to configure the device by myself as I thought what’s there to loose and gave it a shot. Somehow I got outgoing calls working, when Start switched my number from Vonage on the 10th of Oct 2014 (one day before) I couldn’t receive any incoming calls.

Called the tech support and it was Laurie who answered the 1st call and she was so pleasant and didn’t interrupt me while I was telling my whole story. Got the relevant information and walked me with some settings over the phone but still she couldn’t figure it out so advised me that she will have to talk to their network team about this and will get in touch with me soon, after that I was held up with my personal work I couldn’t attend to this issue. During that time I did get several calls from Start from various techs trying to make sure that my service was up and running or needed help in resolving this issue. Laurie even sent me an email link to the Grandstream H701 emulator to cross check the settings which was really good.

Today 12th of Oct I found some time to sit down and try to fix this issue which was caused by me, called Tech support and Andrew picked up and started working on this issue. It took some time for him to fix it but all in all he was exceptional person in fixing this issue. What he did was reset the whole device and reconfigured from start and to my amazement it worked.

I’m never a person who gives feedback but today I wanted to give this lengthy one as I was fully satisfied with their service which in years I have never got one from others. This is only the start hope they keep the service as it is.

Comments:

Start Sam

join:2014-01-21
London, ON

Welcome Aboard!

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear your phone service with us working and my colleagues assisted you and getting everything resolved.

If you ever have any questions or concerns, in addition to calling us or email; feel free to send rocca or myself a PM here on the forums and we'll be happy to assist!

Review by elec999 See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Excellent for the great price, excellent support and great response time"
Overall "Excellent for the money, great customer support! Way to go to Rocca!"

*****I wanted to update my Review, this company is been amazing from DAY ONE!! and still going STRONG. THANK YOU ROCCA***

Switched from Rogers to Start. Reason paying too much getting too little. I am happy so far, the transfer was really smooth, their customer service was always there to assist me and made sure everything went smoothly. Even more amazing Rocca, the CEO is actually there, like no other company. And also excellent forum here on DSLreports for Start Communication. Would recommend to anyone.

Standard Cable Internet 25 Mbps 2 Mbps 150 GB $39.95