Start Communications page on DSLReports

Review by LaZ3R See Profile

Good "Easy and fast install, close enough to advertised speeds, haven't had any downtime!"
Bad "None yet!"
Overall "So far so good!"

Ordered the 25/10 FTTN DSL package and getting close to the advertised speeds! Install went really well with the Bell tech. Really appreciated the follow up call the afternoon following the install to follow up and ensure the install went well! We'll see how the next few months go! I also like the fact that it's all contract free, which is important for me.

Comments:

Review by rajeevetech See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Exceptional Tech support"
Bad "Nothing "
Overall "wow! I have never experienced service like this."

This is my 3rd service provider since I got a home phone. Initially I was with Rogers when I was in Toronto/Mississauga, but when I moved to Burlington I couldn't carry over my Rogers service so I had to subscribe either Bell or Cogeco due to my location. So I didn't want get Bell nor Cogeco as my home phone service provider. So I had to go ahead and get Vonage as my home phone service provider. $45 unlimited calling Canada/US and 60 other countries (fair usage policy (5000 mins/mth).

Recently Vonage increased their price to $47 for the same above noted service, so I had a choice accept the price increase or look for another service provider. Then I came across Start Communications VoIP service which was $15 + tax for Unlimited Canada wide calling which was what I was looking for. I have never dealt with 3rd party independent service providers before so I was a bit reluctant to make the switch. So I did some research at DSLreports and to my surprise the reviews were amazing and bad reviews were handled in a professional manner by the company. So I thought of giving it a try to port my number from Vonage to Start.

My initial contact with Start was on Oct 1st 2014 and I purchased the modem and gave my consent to Start to move my number. I was told that within 10 days which is 11th of Oct will be my transition date to Start. On the 3rd of Oct 2014 I did get my Grandstream H701 VoIP adapter via Canada Post. For my surprise it was plug and play just out of the box and I was able to make outgoing calls no issues.

Then came the issue that I never wanted but all this were user (which is me) related issue nothing to do with Start. The adapter came with the default password so I wanted to change it, so I did change it and the device rebooted after applying the settings then after the reboot I was not able to log in back as I couldn't remember what password which I enter, so had to do a full hardware reset which erased the settings which was in placed before. So now I had to configure the device by myself as I thought what’s there to loose and gave it a shot. Somehow I got outgoing calls working, when Start switched my number from Vonage on the 10th of Oct 2014 (one day before) I couldn’t receive any incoming calls.

Called the tech support and it was Laurie who answered the 1st call and she was so pleasant and didn’t interrupt me while I was telling my whole story. Got the relevant information and walked me with some settings over the phone but still she couldn’t figure it out so advised me that she will have to talk to their network team about this and will get in touch with me soon, after that I was held up with my personal work I couldn’t attend to this issue. During that time I did get several calls from Start from various techs trying to make sure that my service was up and running or needed help in resolving this issue. Laurie even sent me an email link to the Grandstream H701 emulator to cross check the settings which was really good.

Today 12th of Oct I found some time to sit down and try to fix this issue which was caused by me, called Tech support and Andrew picked up and started working on this issue. It took some time for him to fix it but all in all he was exceptional person in fixing this issue. What he did was reset the whole device and reconfigured from start and to my amazement it worked.

I’m never a person who gives feedback but today I wanted to give this lengthy one as I was fully satisfied with their service which in years I have never got one from others. This is only the start hope they keep the service as it is.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

Start Sam

join:2014-01-21

Welcome Aboard!

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear your phone service with us working and my colleagues assisted you and getting everything resolved.

If you ever have any questions or concerns, in addition to calling us or email; feel free to send rocca or myself a PM here on the forums and we'll be happy to assist!

Review by elec999 See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Excellent for the great price, excellent support and great response time"
Overall "Excellent for the money, great customer support! Way to go to Rocca!"

*****I wanted to update my Review, this company is been amazing from DAY ONE!! and still going STRONG. THANK YOU ROCCA***

Switched from Rogers to Start. Reason paying too much getting too little. I am happy so far, the transfer was really smooth, their customer service was always there to assist me and made sure everything went smoothly. Even more amazing Rocca, the CEO is actually there, like no other company. And also excellent forum here on DSLreports for Start Communication. Would recommend to anyone.

Standard Cable Internet 25 Mbps 2 Mbps 150 GB $39.95
Modem Technicolor DCM476

Comments:

Review by koira See Profile

• Location: Coboconk,ON
Good "Low cost, No contract, easy set up. Billed monthly on credit card, email statement. "
Bad "Slow data transfer especially as I only connect at 25K, but that's the nature of dialup"
Overall "will use again come spring time"

For the second year now, I Subscribed to 56K dialup for light email and browsing at the cottage in northern Kawartha Lakes Ontario. DSL is not available and wireless cost too high for my liking. The max attainable is 25k, sufficient for viewing simple web pages like news, weather radar and email. Accelerator application seems flakey at times, it disconnects. Similarly new pages sometimes require reload. This may be due to my phone line though, its distant to the CO and sometimes phone calls drop connection as well. Come November I am terminating service for the winter but will be back with Start dialup in spring. Reconnected this spring with one call, only spoke to one person. Smart sales customer service was knowledgeable and quick. Same for disconnect process last fall.

member for 10.6 years, 1811 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by gojets See Profile

Good "Great Connection, Great Service & Great Value So Far"
Bad "No bad experiences to date."
Overall "At first hesitant after being with a big incumbent for so long. I could not be happier."

I was with a much bigger company previous to being with Start Communications. They always offered a decent connection and would always offer me good to great deals upon wanting to leave. I finally grew tired of that game and wanted to try to support a smaller independent and local ISP. After following the forums here for while and listening to reviews from Start customers and the feedback from Start support staff and the owner himself, I was impressed at how focused they were at making sure everything was running fine for there customers. So on Aug 28th I finally made the commitment and signed up with Start and I must say my first month has been great. The transition to Start was seamless. They had even arranged for my equipment to be picked up on a holiday. My connection which is probably most important to everyone in my family has been flawless to date and to top it all off I save a few bucks also. I would suggest that if there are others who are hesitant to make the switch to an independent ISP like Start, like I was for many years. I can tell you it was the easiest and most satisfying transition of service I have experienced. Thank you to the staff at Start and please keep up the great connectivity and the great service.

Comments:

Review by BellisHell See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Fast transfer without a hitch and getting what I have paid for."
Bad "Nothing whatsoever."
Overall "Wow, I'm impressed."

·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy TekTalk
I'll be doing a new ongoing review of Start Communications. As of right now my transfer date is set at May 3rd. Hope this transfer will be as pleasant as it was with TekSavvy when I switched from Bell.

Update: I received an email yesterday about activating my connection for May 5th and I got connected at 6 AM in the morning. I didn't even need to call support for any problems... I just got my connection. This is a first ever that I actually got what I signed up for with extremely minimal to non-existent down time. And right at the start (no pun intended :P), I got exactly the speeds I signed up for. This was an extremely refreshing experience, and at this point I will not hesitate to recommend Start Communications. Seriously, switch if you haven't from Rogers, Bell, or any other sub par IISP (Exception: A little props to TekSavvy for de-provisioning the modem fast enough for the transfer). Even though the price may be a bit more expensive than others, it is well worth it.

Update: After using this connection for a day, I can say for sure that the speeds are very consistent through the day and the connection is extremely reliable (Just streamed Netflix HD and a few youtube videos, not a single buffer judder).

Update (Jun. 1 2014): Have been using the connection for close to a month now and no problems so far! Speeds are consistent, and the connection is exceptionally reliable. I'm blown away by how refreshing this is.

Update (Jul. 9 2014): Just got a slow down from the "core network" problem (3 down / 3 up), but after an hour (with a couple of resets in between) the connection was all hunky-dory again (same result from previous speed test). The connection is still rockin'!

Update (Jul. 11 2014): Thought I should update on my line stats and speeds.
»www.pingtest.net/result/101648451.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/3618406410.png
As I have said before, the connection is very consistent and reliable. You really can't go wrong with Start.

Update (Aug. 4 2014): I've decided to change my current plan of 35/3 to 60/10. I contacted Start via email about the change and after 2-3 minutes, I receive a call from a rep from Start to confirm the change. I'm actually amazed at the speed of responses to my inquiries. I received an email today confirming the date of change (tomorrow, Aug. 5). I will test the speed, connection quality and keep this review up-to-date.

Update (Aug. 5 2014): I got my speed change this morning, and I'm getting pretty close to what I pay for. (The speed was a little slower since someone was Skype conferencing when I was speed testing)
Here are the results:

»www.speedtest.net/result/3669876595.png
»www.pingtest.net/result/103404949.png

Update (Aug. 16 2014): Just doing a connection update. It is as reliable as ever! No joke!

»www.speedtest.net/result/3693404204.png
»www.pingtest.net/result/104195441.png

I'm just amazed at how 90 bucks a month could feel so worth it. I take back what I said about Start being expensive now since it's actually a bit cheaper than the major IISP competition, especially with the unlimited plans.

Update (Sept. 23rd 2014): It's been 5 months, and the connection is still excellent! The only gripe with Start is the plans they offer. I currently need 150+ mbps unlimited as students are renting out the place and Start.ca doesn't offer such a plan. My service has been set to be cancelled by Sept. 30th and will update on the cancellation process.

Update (Oct. 3rd 2014): Start released my modem by the end of Oct. 1st, but I was told via email that it may be released by the 6th. A very slight confusion on their behalf but other than that everything else was excellent. They tried to keep my status as transparent as possible and I find it exceptional. Despite moving back to TekSavvy, I'd still recommmend Start to people who want to start using smaller ISPs for their internet means.

Comments:

Start Sam

join:2014-01-21

Welcome Aboard!

Helllo,

Thank you for your review and continued updates!

Awesome to hear about the smooth transfer process and conistent performance is to your liking. Thats exactly what target with our network management!

Enjoy.

BellisHell

join:2011-09-01
Brampton, ON

Re: Welcome Aboard!

:P Don't know if my joining in on the Start wagon is exciting enough to cause grammar and spelling mistakes, but I digress. Thanks for welcoming me aboard!

rocca
Start.ca
join:2008-11-16

Unlimited

Sorry to see you go, but understand your circumstances. Hopefully our efforts in Ottawa will be successful this Fall and we'll get sustainable capacity rates that will enable us to provide unlimited on this tier. Thanks for your past support and hope to see you back again one day soon.

BellisHell

join:2011-09-01
Brampton, ON

Re: Unlimited

I sure hope you guys succeed in that endeavor. I would really love to see an unlimited option for that!

Review by lobstarr See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Fast, Excellent Customer Service, Extremley Helpful"
Bad "No rent-to-own option for modems and with that can be a hefty price on top of installation fee"
Overall "Reliable, Fast, Cheaper than the competition, Friendly"

On 50/10 FTTN.

Was doing my research coming in from Alberta (was currently with Shaw). It was pretty fast reaching customer service in order to put my order in and setting up the installation. Start answered all my open questions about this phase and let me change the dates around as a relative in the home had bell for 1 month minimum. Even though it was 1 month, the first couple of days on Start was such a relief in both reliability and speed.

When installation came through, internet wasn't working at all. I had requested the modem to come in bridge mode but it wasn't configured properly and at first the technician on the phone told me that the Bell technician didn't sign off on the order yet. I phoned in a couple hours later and got the same gentleman and said that it was indeed signed off. Went through a couple diagnostics and was able to setup the SmartRG modem in bridge mode properly. After a good 30 minutes troubleshooting, I was online, but if it wasn't my due diligence I would have twiddled my thumbs until this magically appeared online. No matter, the Start technician was more than patient and accommodating with my needs, which is all I could ask for.

As for the speeds, I am getting the advertised down speed but not the up speed. I range from 7.45-7.65 and was hoping someone at Start could take a look at my connection. I need to figure this issue out ASAP as I do a lot of my work uploading to clients constantly and they are usually large media files. Thinking about going the Cable root but we'll see how this pans out.

Comments:

Review by CoolCanuck See Profile

• Location: Thornton,ON
Good "ipv6 supported, friendly customer support, fair price"
Bad "Getting online took 12 days and a technician had to be sent. "
Overall "Start is worth the wait! "

*DSL - 6Mbps*

After a long wait - it was definitively worth it! I now have better internet at a fair price.
This is what ALL Canadians should be given.

I am more than impressed. I can't wait to see what Start has in store for the future !

Comments:

Review by Valendite See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,ON
Good "Works as advertised and better. Excellent Support. No contracts, no sneaky tactics."
Bad "No rent-to-own option for the modem"
Overall "Decent value. Excellent service."

·Cogeco Cable
·WIND Mobile
My uncle called in and they told us to call up rogers and cancel with them. So he did that and got the confirmation date and gave it to Start. Fast forward one month later, it works as advertised.. I get 11 or 12mbps down and 0.2mbps upload on a 6mbps download package. It was pretty easy, just hook up the modem with the router. Make sure you restart everything (plug in and out) because my internet didn't seem to work the next morning (the morning the service was activated) but it did after I rebooted. The usage tracker is also advantageous to you, it doesn't track uploads and it looks like its a little bit inaccurate to your favour. I downloaded a 447MB file and only 418MB was recorded. I'm also surprised since it only takes a few minutes for it to be updated while with Rogers or other ISPs it gets updated daily during maintenance times.

Right now its $29.95 + $5.00/mo rental and $39.50/mo with taxes. So far so good with day 1 of service. I'm not sure but I think they also do a check-up call in the afternoon or an e-mail depending on what preference you specified. The only downside would be there is no rent-to-own option for the modem. The shipping fee seems to be waived if you rent but not if you buy, which is weird. Anyhow my uncle had a $0 installation fee since I was switching in from another cable service provider. Since I'm staying over the service has been terrific nevertheless.

Comments:

rocca
Start.ca
join:2008-11-16

Response

Thanks for the review. Just FYI, while there isn't an official rent-to-own program you can buy the modem out after some time when you're ready and you'll get roughly half of your rental fees put back towards a discounted rate on the buyout.

Review by wilsonlam97 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Start offers straightforward easy-to-use usage tracking and great support."
Bad "None."
Overall "I would highly recommend Start purely based on my experience with them."

I chose Start as my cable internet provider back in July and I haven't looked back since then. The service I signed up for was their $39.95 25/2 Cable plan with 150GB cap and along with that I ordered a Thomson 476 modem from them.

The installation was a breeze and Start provided excellent support by giving me follow-up calls to make sure that the activation was done on time and on the correct date. I've honestly never thought I would meet someone so dedicated to call me back personally and help me with my switch from my previous provider (Distributel). I simply had to call them over the phone, give them my billing information and credit card number, and receive a modem a few days later to plug in. It was that simple. Everything just worked and through the 4+ months I've been with them I have been more than pleased. I recommend all my friends to Start and cannot praise their service enough.