Start Communications page on DSLReports

Review by jacks See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Friendly Tech Support, Speeds as advertised"
Bad "None!"
Overall "What are you waiting for?"

- Signed up on a Thursday evening for 25/2 cable + unlimited
- Received confirmation of installation date the next day after signing up

- Speeds were initially erratic and below advertised
- Called tech support the day after to troubleshoot the issue
- Called twice, both times picked up quicky and tech support was extremely friendly and patient
- Initially went through diagnostics and tried modem reset, but issue persisted
- Called second time and after providing them with more information, the issue was identified to be with my router
- Re-configured router and all was good
- Very impressed by tech support -- service was excellent

- Since fix, consistently getting 25/2 as advertised and never any slowdowns
- Had DSL before (different provider), and am so glad I switched!
- Low bandwidth caps, but $10 extra for unlimited
- The math worked out to be cheaper with other providers for my level of usage, but after I read the positive reviews I chose Start -- do not regret it at all

Thanks Start Communications!

Comments:

Review by zenderxt See Profile

Good "Excellent customer service. Full speed at any time of day. Easy transition from big red. Generous usage caps."
Bad "none"
Overall "Would recommend to anyone."

We switched to Start back in October of last year after red decided that another rate hike was in order for us and the usage caps were just too ridiculous. We started out at 25/2 with the 150GB cap since it's easy for us to shift our larger downloads to the free off peak time. My Wife asked if we could opt into the 10 upload speed to make it faster to upload to her teacher websites as well as pictures etc... So now we are on the 25/10 plan which we will most likely be sticking with for the time being. We have not had any downtime in the months that we have been customers nor have we experienced any slowdowns or dns issues. I've already had two people sign up on referrals and am currently working on a 3rd. Would highly recommend them to anyone.

Thanks for the great service!

Comments:

Review by a_large_rock See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Good speed, Fantastic customer service, unlimated nightly downloads"
Bad "Still have to wait on Rogers to setup cable account"
Overall "Fantastic provider, doesn't screw you over like Rogers."

I was a Rogers cable customer, paying $59/month for a 15/1 package with rogers 60gb cap. Switched over to a 25/2 package with Start Communications paying $39/month with a 150gb cap and unlimited usage at night.

The switch over took a while; 15 days is required for the account to get setup. First day with Start Communications went smoothly, service started right when they said it would and they even phoned me up to make sure everything was up and running. Talk about customer service!

Since first getting the service the up time has been fantastic; going down only when my cable tv goes down as well so not a Start Communication issue. The support on the DSL Forum is fantastic with Rocca getting back to users within a few hours.

Speed tests on my 25/2 package are always 24/2 or above. Never experienced the nightly slowdowns I had with Rogers.

With Rogers I never fully understood just how restrictive they made there service with a 60gb cap. With start 150gb gives me enough data for watching Netflix in full HD during the day, and the unlimited downloading at nights allows me to get any of my large downloads done without effecting my usage. My first month with Start Communications I transferred an additional 600gb at night without it costing me a dime.

Also rogers would charge you up to $100 if you went over your cap, where as start charges only $25. Big difference if you mistakenly leave something running for days.. oh and No contract!

There website for signing up could be a little better, but just give them a call and they answer any questions you have and are quite accommodating.

Comments:

Review by kahicir See Profile

• Location: Wallaceburg,ON
Good "Everything from the start"
Overall "Top Shelf!"

You couldn't ask for more from any ISP, the service and support have never been short of amazing for me. Always looking out for the customer and doing anything within their power to help if it's needed. I would recommend to anyone looking for new/alternative ISP and always do.

Comments:

Review by ladybugg1629 See Profile

• Location: Midland,ON
Good "Everything so far "
Bad "Not a single thing "
Overall "I'm very happy I made the switch "

I can't get FTTN in my area yet, so I was maxed out at 6/.8 with my current ISP. I signed up 6 days ago, for cable 25/2, booked my install appt for today between 8am-11am. Start called me and sent an email to confirm my install date within 2 days of sign up. Received my modem by expresspost on Monday. Rogers tech called at 8:10 this morning and was in my driveway within 2 minutes. Within 45 minutes, everything was up and running (small issue with my cable line, otherwise they would have been done in about 10 minutes). Plugged in my new modem and away I go.

Speeds are as advertised, and customer service is outstanding. Where else can you call and get a live person after pressing only ONE selection AND they answer within 1 minute? I had an issue with Internet Explorer on one of my computers after hooking up my router and Start's tech support helped me troubleshoot for 45 minutes, with something that is clearly not their issue. That's customer service. The setup process was so painless I was expecting something to go wrong, but everything went off without a hitch. Start's business model is something other companies should measure themselves against.

I want to thank all the reviewers on DSLR for taking the time to share their overwhelmingly positive reviews of Start (even the one *bad* review). That's what sealed my decision to switch (and getting 4 times the speed I used to have for less money per month ).

Comments:

Review by DawnoftheOld See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Great people to work with and talk to, better price points than competitors."
Bad "Slight problems getting Dry-Loop installed on ADSL (not VDSL) due to building and Bell technicians."
Overall "Can't recommend a better company."

Been with Start Communications since roughly Janurary 2013 Previously I had Bell Internet at that time. Can only receive 6mb/800kb service for now. Been saving a lot of money since switching.

We're paying $30 for Basic Service without unlimited because we don't need it. We're paying an extra $10 for Dry-Loop so we can have VoIP which is much less than what Bell can offer.

Ported my land line over to VoIP this past January and switched from Wet-Loop service to Dry-Loop.

There were some troubles at first everything was working but the modem died when the Wet-Loop card was taken out at the Central Office for the land line. I called Start to fix the problem and was told it was done.
After I got a new modem back from RMA, service still didn't work, called in again to get a technician out. After the scheduled visit things still weren't working.
Received some help from "Start Sam" on the forums here and a new technician was sent and the visit went well. Bell Technician John came and resolved issues coming to the demarcation point.

Comments:

Start Sam

join:2014-01-21
London, ON

Glad to help!

Hello,

I'm glad I could assist in getting everything resolved for your DSL connection. If you have any further issues, let me know via the forums, email or call in to support and I'll be glad to assist!

Review by Cowboys17 See Profile

• Location: Oshawa,ON
Good "should of made the change "
Bad "None at all"

Was paying 150 dollars just for internet with bell and was getting 50/10 i am so happy i made the change thank you start i would tell everyone about this internet best isp ever Cheap and Fast. No waiting on hold for ever like bell and rogers the longest i been on the phone with start was 5 min you can understand them. Not like bell or rogers you dont get overcharged with start with bell and rogers i did. all you have to do is give them your phone number and they pull up your account they dont put you on hold for that

Comments:

Review by Comfrtbly See Profile

• Location: Peterborough,ON
Good "Everything"
Bad "Nothing, except maybe the cap"
Overall "Great value for your dollar!"

·Cogeco Cable
Moved from Cogeco to Start.

Note: price is $49.95 for service + $5.00 for modem rental + HST = $62

With the move I got a 2mbps speed increase, monthly cap went from 80G to 300G, better customer service and tech support.

Rental modem is a Cisco DPC3000.

member for 14.6 years, 1442 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ell See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "Reliability,Support"
Bad "Non"
Overall "Great service and Value"

I am very happy with Start speed is always around 30 mbps no slow downs and easy to get support!

Comments:

Review by Contrex See Profile

• Location: Pointe-Claire,QC
Good "Great customer service, reliable service, good rates"
Bad "nothing at all..."
Overall "I should've switched earlier"

When I moved a few months ago, it looked like my last ISP was about to screw up my order once again (like they did last time), so I gambled and switched to Start, figuring they couldn't do any worse.

Well — Start did EVERYTHING RIGHT. Customer service was top-notch, right from the beginning, promptly confirming my orders, and keeping me up-to-date on my status.

And even when the Bell technician didn't show up on the first date, Start was right on top of the situation, and everything went through smoothly on the second try.

Since then (about 5 months ago) I had no problems whatsoever with the service (I work from home, and would notice any hiccups right away). It's been rock solid, and while the upload speed a bit low, I do live in the "ancient" suburbs, so the line quality may not be what it is the newer neighborhoods, or in the city.

I love the unmetered time during the night, and schedule most of my massive downloads for that, so I hardly ever reach the 300GB limit.