Start Communications page on DSLReports

Review by SlotTech See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "Inexpenisve, reliable, friendly sales and support staff"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Great product, price and service"

·AcroVoice
It took me almost a year after I found out about Start to make the switch but I'm glad I did. I signed up online and actually received a phone call the same or next day to confirm my order and the date that my cable internet would be transferred. They also called me the day of activation to confirm I had everything working properly. They provided friendly service when I had problems due to node congestion, they even called me back in a few days to let me know when Cogeco planned to have the problem rectified. When I upgraded my plan from 6Mbps to 20Mbps it was completed within a day. I have been a customer for about a year and a half now, overall I am very impressed with Start communications and would recommend them to anyone.

member for 1 year, 181 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by shoaibahmed See Profile

• Location: London, ON
Good "Service, Support, Connection reliability"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Great internet provider "

I've been with Start.ca for almost a year and the service has been great.

Comments:

Review by justinbkerr See Profile

Good "Speeds as advertised, first rate service!"
Bad "Issues with the transfer, but hard to 100% say if it was Start, or Rogers to blame."
Overall "Great Move."

I had been a loyal Teksavvy customer for years, but their unwillingness to compete on price made the switch to start an easy decision.
For the savings i've seen nothing but upside.
Speeds are as advertised, customer service is great, and no issues since the day I went live.

Comments:

Review by RLBL See Profile

• Location: Gloucester,ON
Good "Low Ping, getting advertised speeds... transfer from Rogers was flawless."
Bad "Still no complaints"
Overall "Great value for the coin, have had the service for one week so I will update as time passes"

I have been on Rogers for as long as I can remember. Since ditching our TV service, our internet demands have gone through the ceiling (considering the Rogers ceiling is low... it is not hard to do). As such we started paying through the nose for our internet service and I had had enough. I have been looking to leave to a TPIA for years, but I have always been a bit scared because of the forums on DSLreports...

Then I found Start Communications...

The reports are good
The forums are not cluttered with outage reports
Anyone who I have talked to is loving the experience...

So I joined on the 5th of August 2013. I called Rogers a month previous and said I was leaving. I contacted CS at Start and set an install date for 5 bus. days earlier in case I had issues. The modem was shipped the following day and it was delivered the following day!

I received email confirmations so I knew the order was ready to go when the date was to come.

On the day of the transfer, I unplugged the Rogers modem and Plugged in the one delivered from Start. By the time I came back from lunch I was up and running and I have not looked back. The next business day, I received a call from CS asking if everything went ok! Try and get a courtesy call like that from Rogers...

I just hope Rogers does not come around and cut my line in a month... I put stickers on my line just in case.

Update: August 22nd

Well Rogers did tag my line to be cut and coincidentally my internet went down for a couple of hours (area issue), but when I called the Start CS they got right on it. As my internet came back up they decided to keep the ticket alive anyways, just to have a tech come out and remove the tag.

The best part: Start CS called me the next day to ensure everything went smoothly. I was impressed by the follow-up call.

Update: October 7th

Everything has been great: No outages, no interruptions, always getting advertised speeds. VERY HAPPY!!!

Update March 7, 2014

Still been rock solid! I have never had an outage (other than anything that also effect rCable customers)

Update October 29, 2014

No complaints, at all! The service has been rock solid. Being able to communicate with directly with staff is a great bonus. I wish I have had an incident to comment on how the company reacts to issues, but I have not personally had any. Only once while there was an outage rocca updated customers to what was going on in real time (just an aside, the problem was with rCable).

I am a very happy customer, and anyone else who is with Start (whether I had referred them or not) is also very happy. rCable has thrown some deals my way, but I have not been swayed.

Update February 18, 2015

Near Flawless. Never any speed interruptions. Once I lost sync to the network; rebooted the modem and was back up instantly. I have recommended people to start, and will continue to do so

member for 2.3 years, 630 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

PhilipA

@teksavvy.com

Transferred from Rogers, zero issues and excellent service

After the recent price increases from Rogers (10% increase as of Sept 1/13) I decided to switch. The helpful Start staff guided me through the whole process and it was flawless. I received my new modem in the mail within a week. On the day of the changeover, I simply swapped modems and was up and running in literally minutes. Speeds are the same and I have no complaints with the service. Switching over to direct debit (from credit card) was simple and easy to do via the website.

The best part? I'm saving $15/mo vs. Rogers for the same speed with arguably better service.

Thank you Start Communications!

Review by coaxguy See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "Leading class customer service, best available value/dollar"
Bad "Nothing comes to mind"
Overall "A dedicated, customer oriented local ISP"

·Bell Fibe
Updated Feb 09 2015:
--------------------
Been with Start for a long time now. Have since had 50/10 installed.
VDSL 50/10 has been smooth sailing since day 1 of service.
Always getting advertised speeds with no known issues.
Price has remained the same.
Billing and customer service calls are always answered in a timely manner without delay.
New cCable area packages are giving me a temptation to switch over and save another $10.
A+++

END UPDATE

I heard about Start many months ago, and was skeptical at first that it was too good to be true. They offered the same leading class speed as the big ISP around here (Cogeco), but much roomier caps, and a much cheaper and unbundled rate.

I have turned 3 people onto Start now, including 2 family members. My family turned to me as being the super tech in the family for help. Both tired of Bell and Cogecos expensive services and underwhelming performance. I recommended Start based on what I have heard on DSLreports.

Keep in mind, that being a former technician, I installed brand new coax from the drop, to where the modem would be going, as well as a new ground. I am always leery of contractors working for Cogeco getting 3rd party inet orders.

From the order (super pleasant young lady).
To the confirmation (again, another polite young woman).
To the after install call (another courteous individual).
Everything went so smooth.

The modems came 1 business day after the order, and in one case, where the drop was already connected, the service worked a day before the activation.

Speed is always 50/10 when testing from my hard wired connection.

Overall, an amazing ISP with a bright future. Couldn't recommend them more. Don't hesitate, switch today!!!

Comments:

Start Sam

join:2014-01-21
London, ON

Thanks!

Thank you for your continued effort in writing and updating this review.

Glad to hear everything has worked out well and has remained the same, exactly what we aim to offer to every customer.

Ff you ever need help or have question, we're here.

Review by cbuch See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "Everything"
Overall "The best"

I've now been with start for over 1.5 years on a number of their packages and I don't have a single complaint. I was going to wait until something went wrong before I wrote a review in order to see what the tech supports like, but I haven't needed to. Usage is easy to check. I've never experienced any slowdowns. Changing packages and updating info is easy and fast both via the web and by phone. To make things better they raised my speed and cut my bill at the same time.

Comments:

Review by kuddles See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Excellent customer service; reasonable price; reliable speed"
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "Stellar internet provider, deserves more attention"

I was a reasonably satisfied TekSavvy customer for several years who moved in with my partner in the Fall. She was currently on Bell but was looking to change once her contract was up a couple months later. Hearing good things about Start, I decided to give it a try since I was starting from scratch anyways. Since I was happy with cable service before and her apartment was already wired for it, I decided to go with that option.

Right from the get-go, this company provided a level of customer service I never have gotten from another ISP ever. The same day I entered my order request to their website, I received a phone call to confirm all the information I inputted, then the following day received an email giving me a confirmation on the date and time of the connection. Later that same week, the modem I requested arrived in the mail. This included a specific request to have my modem delivered to a different address (at my workplace) which they accommodated.

The contractor showed up a little late and had some difficulty getting things sorted out, but the connection did happen. I tested it the morning after and it was running issue-free. I then received yet another phone call that following day to confirm that the contractor had arrived and that the connection was working. Very nice!

To date, the internet has worked fine in the house without any noticeable downtime or significant slowdown. 200 GB/month has turned out to be a reasonable amount of data for our household, especially since that cap does not include uploads, and they offer a free usage period between 2AM-8AM, so if I'm downloading a lot of games off Steam that month, I just set things up within that timeframe accordingly.

The running theme I have with this company is that nobody has heard of them when I mention them to others. I hope to be a small part in rectifying it by recommending them wherever I can. Extremely satisfied customer here.

Comments:

Review by fink See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Perfect.. reliable cable.. 30 down, 5 up. No peak hour slowdowns."
Bad "None so far."
Overall "Excellent service. I could not be more pleased."

·TekSavvy Cable
·VMedia
Very good company to deal with. I made my order to switch from another ISP and they were extremely helpful when it became apparent the previous cable supplier (CIK) was slow to send an order to Rogers to release my modem (Technicolor DCM476). Finally Rogers got the info necessary and we were good to go.

There were 24 hours of no service between providers but it was Rogers fault for pushing a bad file to provision my modem. It got sorted thanks to Start and they even called me regularly to find out how it was working out. There was also a billing error which I pointed out to them and that was sorted quickly as well. Phone wait times for the tech/billing issues were very short even on a day when they said they were swamped with callers.

Also worth noting is that they pointed out that the 50 dollar transfer fee was not applicable since I already had cable service with Rogers. Two other ISP's I was looking at told me the fee was necessary.

member for 12.6 years, 2426 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sauga_1 See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Great customer service, great attitude, good knowledge about the service"
Bad "nothing"
Overall "go with it, you wont be disappointed"

I had been rogers for almost 12 years and recently they increased my internet price 76$ / month. I decided to call rogers and see if they offer me something similar to start. after spending almost 30 minutes with retention what they offer me is free modem for a year and also I have to give them a 30 days notice, so i end up paying $76.
I called start, my call was picked up quickly and was talking to csr within a minute. I placed my order and book the activation for next month. my order was complete with in 3 minutes and i was told that i will get the modem in the mail. after two days. i was charged $50 for the first month + modem rental. after a week i decided to change my activation date from 8 to 1st of the month. i called start and again within few minutes my activation date was changed.
The good thing was start offered me a 8 days of free internet because of my activation date changed by me. have you ever get this kind of good service from any company. at least me (NO).
on activation date i plugged my modem and waited for half an hour and I have internet. same day i got a call from start asking about the internet activation and problem if i have any. I told them all is good. I have tested the speed and i am getting exactly the advertised speed.
I am really very happy with the service and i might switch to unlimited package.
Keep it up Start and other companies should learn from Start also.

UPDATE (June 24):

Its been 5 months and the service is great. no down time at all. I have tested my service at different times and I am getting constant 24.6 Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload. I have already referred two friend to start and they are also very happy with the service.
very satisfied with the service

UPDATE (Feb 2, 2015)

I have completed my first year with Start communication, so far not a single down time, speed as advertised and constant 24.4 - 24.7 Mbps any time of day.
very happy with the service. Thanks Start!! keep up the good work.

Comments:

Start Sam

join:2014-01-21
London, ON

Welcome Aboard!

Hello sauga_1,

Glad to hear your interactions with our sales team have been been pleasant and that the service has been successfully activated. Welcome aboard!

If you ever have concerns or issues, please do contact us.

Review by rickybo See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Advertised speed, Fair Price, Reliable and Good Customer Support"
Overall "Great company probably the best I've ever had"

I've had many Internet providers during my lifetime, I'm now 22. I had rogers, bell then teksavvy to distributel and I've been with Start for more than 9 months now.

First the customer service on this company is excellent, everyone speaks proper English and knows what they are talking about, they even call you to check up on your connection upon install and email you info etc..

Second I know this company uses their service from bell but I've never had any down time with this connection since I had it for 9 months now.

Third, the price is reasonably priced way cheaper than bell and rogers etc.. I first had 6mb DSL for 29.99 and 100GB CAP I now switched to FTTN 15mb and 300GB cap for 39.99 definitely worth 10$ more for 2.5x speed and cap, and its FTTN.

Overall I am very impressed about this service and so far the best I ever had. I won't be switching anytime soon unless something stupid on their end happens. These major 3 features I have listed give this company a perfect score from me, I couldn't be happier than I am now. Thanks to the company and staff from Start. Very good job. 10/10