Millry Communications page on DSLReports

Review by wade1976 See Profile

• Location: Gilbertown,Choctaw,AL
Good "Extremely fast service, service in very rural areas, excellent local tech support"
Bad "Price vs, major telcos"
Overall "The best choice in west-central Alabama for those in its coverage area"

Millry Communications is a relatively small local telephone company that started providing DSL service to its customers about three years ago. I was one of the first to sign up. I live in a remote area of Choctaw County, Alabama. We were without electricity for two weeks during Hurricane Ivan, and 11 days during Hurricane Katrina. However, not only did I not lose a dial tone even during the worst of the storms thanks to their system being completely buried, I never lost DSL service either as I have a generator at my home. Since Hurricane Katrina, they have installed generators and propane tanks at all of their central offices. I will say that 75.99 for 1536 down/ 512 down seemed a bit much, and the installation costs are 95.00 plus an additional 15.00 or so for a network interface seemed like a bit much, until I compared it to my only alternatives, DirecWay and Sky Blue. The 3 times I have had trouble, twice they fixed it from the main office, and once they came out the same day. From my order date to install was about 5 days, and I was supplied with a Sprint modem (leased for an additional 8.99). All in all, for an area as remote as this, I couldn't ask for better service.

Comments: