Telebec page on DSLReports

Review by TelebecUser See Profile

• Location: Mistissini,QC
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Customer Service and Technical Support are easily accessible"
Bad "Quality of internet connection extremely poor"
Overall "Avoid Telebec at all costs"

I'm a long time customer of Telebec. Until very recently, I've had no choice but to be a Telebec customer. Now they have some competition, as Xplornet has begun operating in my area – but for the time being they cannot accept new customers so I'm stuck with Telebec. Telebec is the worst ISP I've ever had dealings with. They are utterly pathetic. They claim 5mbps and my connection tests out to be roughly that, but I am still unable to do the simplest things such as online gaming, Skype, online conferencing (I was recently attempting to take an online course in business administration and had to withdraw because my internet connection just couldn't handle the Adobe Connect meetings), etc. For that matter, whatever the speed of my connection when tested, I've never seen anything download faster than 500kbps, ever.

For the better part of 10 years our service was intermittent... cutting out every time we placed or received a phone call. And tech support would blame us every time, claiming we must not have the proper filters installed, etc., until finally one of their repair technicians noticed that one of our phone lines was being pinched by some device that one of their technicians had installed previously. Our service then became more “reliable”, which is to say that it stopped cutting out when our phone rang.

However, to this day, as mentioned above, I can't do the simplest things that most people with broadband now take for granted. It's infuriating. I guess this is what happens when a company enjoys a monopoly in a region for too long... You get customers paying modern, 21st century prices for third-world 20th century access to the internet. Shame on Telebec for advetising their service as “high-speed”. As soon as Xplornet is able to accept me as a customer, I'm making the switch. I'd rather experience the pitfalls of satellite internet, than the torment of Telebec DSL.

Comments:

Review by edugas See Profile

• Location: Mont-Laurier,QC
Good "Vitesse faible, service a la clientele OK"
Bad "Pas de flexibilité"
Overall "Seul service disponible dans la localité"

·Videotron
·Electronic Box
Ligne DSL 5Mbits commercial avec IP statique

Positif
- Service a la clientèle OK
- Soutien technique vraiment "technique"

Negatif
- Vitesse obtenue: 1Mbps (~4.5km du CO)
- Adresse IP statique 10$/mois
- Pas moyen d'avoir un PTR record sauf celui de Telebec (même sur un compte commercial)

Update 2008

Service toujours stable. Je ne travaille plus pour la compagnie qui est client chez Telebec.

Comments:

Review by FrostSoul See Profile

Bad "Cout Élévé, Stabilité NULLE , service a la clientele inutile"

le support internet de cablevision du nord a été transféré chez télébec et j'ai des problemes d'internet et de télévision. Cela va bientot faire autour de 2 ans que mon internet "plante" au moins 2 fois par jour et la réponse que j'ai au service a la clientele est que si je cherche de la stabilité je me dois de prendre un forfait plus cher chez télébec mais que sinon la stabilité n'est pas garantie. En plus de cela ils n'arrête pas de me dire que c'est mon modem qui est en tort alors que si j'essai un modem neuf que eux me prete le probleme demeure... j'ai meme essayer sans mon routeur rien a y faire. Sérieusement j'espere qu'une autre compagnie example videotron arriva très bientot dans la région pour leur faire compétition car nous payons absolument pour rien.

Comments:

Review by warthunder2k See Profile

• Location: Rouyn-Noranda,QC
Good "Fast customer service, never had to wait more than 5 min to speak to someone"
Bad "Very very very slow, expensive, years of bad service, worthy of third world country"
Overall "I don't like them andif I had to choose I would take anyone else rather then them."

The good: technical support and customer service is fast, I usually have to wait less than 1 min before I speak to someone.

The bad: Everything else, you name it. Speed? it's 1 mbits, it has been that way for more then 10 years. For 2 LONG LONG years I have no been able to play games online because my ping was constantly over 400. The techs I spoke to, probably tired of hearing from me, told be sometimes it was because of the ''alignement of the planets'' , because a ''neighbour must be doing electrical work'' , etc. Years after the fact I learned from someone who works there it's because there was not enough capacity (lines where overused). Of course no one ever told me that was the problem, it was always a ''problem at my end''. My ''third world country internet'' as I call it. Oh, there is of course no way of having a speed faster than 1 mbit.

install was fast and conveniant, the cost was 60$ but I got it for free with a promo they were doing. I took a 1 year contract, seeing as they are the only provider it seemed to me like a good idea to save 5$ a month. So the price is 45$/ month if you dont take a contract. My modem is bought by myself, else it's 5 extra dollars a month.

They finally upgraded the lines 6 months ago, so I can again play games over the internet, but i'm still bitter.

member for 12.9 years, 1500 visits, last login: 244 days ago