Nexicom page on DSLReports

Review by olaz_b See Profile

• Location: Campbellford,ON
Good "Professional and friendly service"
Bad "Overloaded wireless tower, only informed of after we set up our own equipment ready for hook up."
Overall "Will sign up for service if more capaciy becomes available on tower"

When we lived in Peterborough, we were very happy Nexicom customers. 10 years ago, we moved about 45 minutes away into a rural area and had to, unfortunately, sign up with Bell and use their internet stick, then hub for “high speed” internet.

We have a very large hill on our property that we thought would be helpful in getting a strong wireless signal from at least one WISP, but Xplornet had no signal and we thought that Nexicom was too far away also. But, this past summer, we found out that a house across the valley from our home had wireless Nexicom internet.

So, about a month ago, we called up Nexicom, in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, we could get their signal. Within a week, the Nexicom guys came out and to our great excitement, got a strong signal from their tower. We could not have been more overjoyed. They recommended that we set up a tower and get plastic tubing to protect the cable since it will be at least 100m away from the house. We spent several hundred dollars setting this up and were really looking forward to Nexicom coming back to hook us up.

The day came, they came out and got a strong signal again, but this time said they can’t connect us because the sector of the tower the signal was coming from was overloaded. What?! While we do appreciate not being connected to a service that won’t work well, why were we not told earlier that too many people were signed up and there was no room for us on the tower? Supposedly, we are now on a waiting list for hook up, and despite this bump in the road, we hope to eventually become Nexicom customers again. We hope to hear from them soon.

Comments:

Review by fishboy112 See Profile

• Location: Port Hope,ON
Good "Great customer service, fast email responses, stable speeds, ulimited usage"
Bad "none"
Overall "Great company"

I am very happy with Nexicom, i went with dsl from them at first and they charge less for installation than everyone else and they dont require you to have or buy a modem and they have unlimited usage, the dsl speeds were not the greatest tho, i got the 6/1 mbps package and was only getting 5/.7 with it dropping to as low as 2.5 mbps d/l at times but this was not their fault, it was an issue on bells end, so i decided to switch to cable internet with them and once again i didnt have to rent/buy or have my own modem, they loan you one while you are a customer, also since i signed up for the 2 year plan they didnt charge me any installation fee, once i got the cable hooked up i did have a small speed issue with d/l but it was sorted later the same day and i am getting the max speeds of the package i ordered, and the whole while i have been with them i have sent them a ton of emails especially when i had dsl, trying to get the speeds sorted, frankly i was probably a little annoying at times, but they always answered fast and were polite, and they have always taken care of any problem i have had, and any issues i did have were not on their end, i am extremely pleased with them and suggest them to all my friends.

Comments:

Review by qzenxh

• Location: echarpe
Good "echarpe burberry"
Bad "echarpe burberry"
Overall "echarpe burberry"

I acknowledge! For Ferrari recognized headphones, they appearance great. I could very well never with my life display that seem.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:
PX Eliezer
join:2013-03-10
Outland

Bizarre

This review is bizarre and totally irrelevant to anything.

ajhaji

Outland

Re: Bizarre

said by ajhaji:

Looks like spam to me.

Problem is, there is no Mod button for Reviews.

Review by Crashrun2003 See Profile

Good "To be fair, Nexicom was a fast, congestion free ISP."
Bad "Too many fees"
Overall "Tis a good company until I wanted to change services and they wanted to charge me for literally everything."

To be honest, Nexicom is a fair ISP. Connection is solid at all times, atleast for me. The downside is that I called in, the person didnt know if I qualified for VDSL, nor knew what it was. However I was told a $100 install fee would apply if I was successful. No worries, new gear, thats fine. I wanted to change my POTS line to VOIP, and was told it was $50 to switch. Paid on time for a year, and all these fee's? No thanks.

member for 1.7 years, 51 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by agreen416 See Profile

Good "Giganews access included. Huge plus as I never need torrents anymore."
Overall "Most stable network of all DSL providers I've used"

Awesome provider. Never once had a network issue. Giganews Newsgroups access included makes it far superior than the others. Keep up the great work.

Comments:

Review by Awesome Dave See Profile

• Location: Lindsay,ON
Good "downloads from some sources like peer to peer"
Bad "speeds for streaming videos, web site load times, customer service"

I switched from Bell to Nexicom, and I actually wish I had stayed with Bell. I switched to Nexicom because they offered unlimited bandwidth at the same advertised speeds for half the price of my limited bandwidth Bell account. However, after being told I was set up (and of course, billing starting), there was major problems getting it to work.. I had to wait 4 days to get a tech to come fix it after I called in the problem. That's after taking 2 days to actually get someone to answer on the tech support line. Now my internet works, but it is half the speed of what I had with Bell. If I want to watch a streaming video, be it from Youtube, Netflix, or any other site, it takes on average 3x the video length to properly buffer it so I watch it. If I don't let it completely buffer, the videos play choppy and the play catches up to the buffer and I have to wait anyway. I tried calling their tech support for 3 days about this, and eventually gave up. One of the main reasons I switched was my friend (who only lives a few streets away) was consistantly getting 14Mbps speeds at Speedtest.net. I get 3.45Mbps (when I'm lucky). So sure, the package had a great price, but not when you compare the service. Bell had better speeds, better customer support (even if it was a call center in India). I used to have Nexicom dial-up years ago... and I feel like I have it again, and the company isn't willing to make it better. I'm moving at the end of April, and will be dropping the Nexicom internet (even tho I'll have to pay for 3 months when I have only used 2... great business model, what a greedy company) and I will never even consider Nexicom as an option again, and I will advise anyone else who asks me to stay away from them. Bad products I can handle, but bad customer service is another thing completely. Maybe it's better in a bigger city like Peterborough, but in Lindsay, it's one of the worst companies I've had the misfortune of dealing with.

Comments:

NexiCSM

@nexicom.net

Your Review

Hello,

Your experience is certainly unique. There is no reason why you are not getting the same speeds you received from Bell providing the package you had with Bell is the same speed package you choose with Nexicom.
Please give us the opportunity to resolve your issue.

As for the Helpdesk, they are open until 10pm during the week and 5pm on the weekend. When you call you remain in a queue - no voice mail. Perhaps you were calling the wrong number?
Please call 1-888-639-4266, Option 2 and Option 3.

We also do not start billing until your service is working.

Nexicom CSM

pstewart
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON

Problems

Please call in to 1-888-639-4266 and ask to talk to a supervisor. The supervisor will be able to look up your history and see what has been going on and suggest how to resolve it. This is not the typical customer experience.

Please feel free to PM me your contact information if you prefer and I will forward to our Customer Service Manager by all means. Thanks.
abongard

join:2011-01-31
Markham, ON

Speed issues

We are a DSL/Cable reseller/VoIP Provider in Markham and do not think your issue is unique at all. We have noticed issues like this many times. Most likely when they changed your service they put you on a different DSLAM port and pair that is just not as good as your original.

We have also experienced the Bell switcheroo where your friend next door has opted for the new Bell higher price "guaranteed" service and when the tech comes to install he finds that the wire to the house is not very good.... but yours is so they swap the lines. Why not your friend next door is paying more and you are only on an "up to" service. too bad you lose..... that's the great Bell philosophy we are all supposed to get used to... I don't think so but the rest of us are only resellers... Bell and Rogers are the only game in town. Can you spell monopoly?

Bell will tell you its not true but we were told otherwise...

Stick to the reseller and just get them to help you... They will have to open tickets until it gets resolved but don't give up.... The smaller companies want your business more than Bell or Rogers...!

Bell will eventually have to listen once they lose more market share.

Regards,
Andrew Bongard
tube-e.com
onecentld.com

pstewart
join:2005-10-12

Re: Speed issues

In this scenario, the customer pair would have remained the same.. customer would have been moved on the same pair over to our DSLAM's.

Chris2012

@bell.ca

Re: Speed issues

I am currently considering the switch from Bell in Lindsay but this review concerns me. What concerns me more is that I called Nexicom just now and got a recording the offices were closed. The hours of operation on the web site indicate they are open on Saturdays. This is not the case and I tried different options to get to talk to someone.

If I'm not going to get a hold of anyone when I have questions about making the switch, what's going to happen when I need tech support down the line, seems risky.

On paper the service definitely makes you think twice about being with Bell but a degradation in service and possibly speed? Doesn't look too promising.

bbuchanan
join:2004-02-05

Re: Speed issues

Our support line is certainly open on Saturdays (and Sundays). What time did you call - I'll take a look and see what happened on Saturday.

You can also drop by our office in Lindsay (corner of York and Kent). I can't remember the hours of that office off the top of my head though right now.
Nexicom - »www.nexicom.net

bbuchanan
join:2004-02-05
Peterborough, ON
Sorry, I got trigger happy and posted.

As long as you are fed off of the CO in Lindsay (corner of William & Bond), then you will be on our DSLAM that is colocated there, and will NOT be on Bell's DSLAM.

I can't guarantee the speeds, as the speeds are dependent on the quality of the copper pair, but we can certainly do our best to get you the best service possible.
Nexicom - »www.nexicom.net

Review by OVERKILL See Profile

• Location: Peterborough,ON
Good "Fantastic speed, reliability and customer service"
Overall "Unbeatable in the market they serve"

I signed up with Nexicom years ago as I had heard that they were a local alternative to Bell, offering better customer service and support.

I have been at my current location for over three years now. And have been using their service the entire time.

They have Annex-M ADSL2+ on their DSLAM, which is located in downtown Peterborough.

They had no issue with me providing my own equipment, which was also nice.

Initially I used a D-Link ADSL2+ modem (Annex-A) which sync'd to their DSLAM at 19Mbit/1Mbit. I later switched to a Cisco router with an ADSL2+ HWIC card, which is what I'm presently using and syncs at 20Mbit/1Mbit.

No throttling, no caps. Coupled with fantastic service and support (I had to have my DSLAM profile modified when I switched to the Cisco equipment, as it initially only sync'd at 14Mbit), they truly are the best option in this area. And if you can sync to their DSLAM, you will get speeds that rival Cogeco cable, but without the bandwidth cap and the other "not so niceties" that come along with it.

I recently began using Nexicom's telephone service as well. I had been using Rogers Home Phone, but they stopped offering it in the area, which actually worked out well, as I had been wanting to switch (for matters of convenience, there were no issues with Rogers Home Phone service itself, and it was far cheaper than Bell) to Nexicom, and this allowed me to do so with no contract issues.

Comments:

Review by bjlockie See Profile

• Location: Millbrook,ON
Good "perfect sync, excellent reliability"
Bad "no choice in this small town BUT Nexicom is pretty good"
Overall "recommended, way better than nothing"

·TekSavvy DSL
I am reviewing this for my parents because they never would and I am a member.
They love Nexicom.
There have been a couple of problems but they were short and over 4 years, a very small percentage.
Service has always been very good.
The price could be better but there is no choice here (small town) so they are lucky to have high speed.
That said, my parents are happy with the price.
The central office is really close so my parents have perfect line stats.
I think they sync at 7Mbps/800Mbps (I don't have modem stats).

member for 6.8 years, 2152 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tayls See Profile

• Location: Lindsay,ON
Good "Pricing, speed, unlimited bandwidth, premium newsgroups."
Bad "none"
Overall "I wish I had made the switch years ago."

I was with Bell for years, but they kept upping the price. I knew Nexicom was available in my area so it was time to make a decision, I checked their price and was shocked to see that $63.95 would not only get me high speed but phone service as well...The same as what I was paying Bell for just my internet, so Bell lost my business on both accounts. The phone service was set up almost immediately with no issues and the internet after my 30 day notice to Bell. A little hiccup on first hook up but rock solid ever since. Not to mention I know my download speed is faster than with Bell, that makes me a very happy camper.

Comments:

Review by a1_Andy See Profile

• Location: Peterborough,ON
Good "Nexicom has there own ADSL2+ Equiment, more in reveiw read on"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Good service"

I am very pleased and lucky to be able to receive Nexicom's Turbo DSL service. I am 4.2 Km from the Hunter st Co in Peterborough and receive 7 Mbps. When the service was first activated I received 8.5 Mbps but the error rate was too high to sustain that speed. If I cleaned up the phone lines in my place here I may be able to get that speed again or higher. When Nexicom sells you 'up to' you can bet that they will give you that speed if its possible.

With Nexicom I am also able to alleviate myself from the crap that bell is trying to pull on Canadians because my internet connection is on Nexicom's equipment. No Bill by the Byte (UBB) to worry about and no slowing down of the speed (Throttling) that I signed up for . I was assured by Nexicom that they have no plans to implement UBB on their own equipment.

Streaming movies, TV shows, Youtube all work well. No pausing or buffering. I canceled the cable TV because we don't need it no more, it's all TV on demand here (and saving $40 a month). I haven't noticed any congestion.

Nexicom offers free Giganews access to their subscribers at full speed (another saving of $11 a month).

Nexicom doesn't out source their support or sales staff which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, just knowing that we are helping keep jobs in our community (and Canada).

The Bottom line is; If you can get on Nexicom with their own equipment, your golden (this includes the rural wireless), if your on bells equipment not so golden.