MSTAR page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by mrefish See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Fast connection (with serious problems), low cost, offers internet/phone/tv bundles"
Bad "Throttles bandwidth, poor customer service, medium reliability, terrible phone service"
Overall "Good connection, very bad people"

When Utopia Fiber first became available in my area, mstar came through door to door asking people to sign up. At this point I was fed up with Comcast cable, so I switched. I signed up for their internet/phone bundle ~$70/month. The phone service was horrific from the very start and never got any better, but this review is about the internet.

One month I went over the somewhat hidden traffic limit of 100GB/month. I received a call from customer service saying that I had gone over but they were not going to charge me the $2/GB over fee (would have cost me an additional $40).

From that point on my connection seemed much slower, and I did my best to try and troubleshoot any problems on my end of the line. When I first suspected my connection was being throttled (all the way down to 50Kb/sec at some points) I was furious. I called up mstar, there was almost always a phone or internet outage somewhere so customer support takes a while to get ahold of. The first person I spoke to told me that they did not throttle any accounts and offered some poor advice (restart your computer, clean out browser cache....if you've ever called an ISP for support you know the rest) when they found out I had a router they said it was causing the problem (it wasn't, I still use it today and now I get 20Mb/20Mb at least).

I called up tech support one last time to see if there was a problem with my connection and this time they told me that since I had gone over my traffic allotment in a previous month, my connection was being throttled. I said that I was paying for 15Mb/15Mb connection and that they should give it to me regardless of my going over the traffic limit in one month. I asked them how they could justify throttling my connection and they put me on hold for several minutes and came back with telling me to read the User Agreement, Attachment A, 3, d. (they did not read it to me on the phone) which reads

"Bandwidth changes and throughput fluctuations. Mstar will provision the subscriber-network demarc at contracted bandwidth. Mstar may, when necessary to control network congestion, re-provision Subscriber's bandwidth and/or impose reasonable throughput limits on Subscriber's use of the Service in order to ensure equitable access for other subscribers. Mstar will use commercially reasonable efforts to provide the throughput described in this Attachment, but Subscriber acknowledges that throughput may fluctuate from time to time throughout the day and that Subscriber may observe throughput less than bandwidth provisioned at the subscriber-network demark at all times during the day. At Mstar's discretion, Mstar may impose restrictions that will limit upload throughput. Mstar reserves the right to perform bandwidth management to ensure all customers experience the highest level of service possible"

(short version, mstar can throttle your account for any reason at any time)

This is contradictory to three of their main points for their Fiber internet

*15Mbps standard connection or upgrade to a 50Mbps connection (where available)

*Symmetrical bandwidth – upload as fast as you download

and the WORST!

*Always a dedicated line – never share speeds with your neighbors

If I never share speeds with my neighbors then why can they throttle my connection for the sake of my neighbors?

I was completely disgusted with this customer support experience and when I told the person on the phone I consider this a good reason to find another ISP, they said fine.

I am now with Xmission's Utopia fiber and I love it, and I use AT&T's callvantage for VOIP (better than Mstar's phone service)

Comments:

Review by unbonami See Profile

• Location: Sainte-Therese,QC
Bad "No information about bandwidth limit per month"

Well they offer fast 15Mbps Fiber Internet bout they say nothing about the monthly limit of bandwidth. (It says in the user agreement that there is a fee per additional GB but nothing about the limit) So I called the tech support since I couldn't find the information on the site. The lady didn't even know what I was talking about.. she called some one else. I was on hold for about 5minutes and then she told me that they didn't have any answer for me and that I should call back during the week when full staff will be there...

I have to say that it's a real hard question... bandwidth limit...

member for 11.8 years, 173 visits, last login: 5.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Wottcc See Profile

• Location: Payson,Utah,UT
Good "Fast, Symmetrical Speed"
Bad "Customer service is hit and miss, Routing for online gaming is awful"
Overall "Decent ISP"

Overall, service with mstar has been decent. Some problems getting things configured early on took much longer than it should have, and emailing tech support issues didnt get me anywhere, just a generic canned answer. The symmetrical speed is a nice unique feature. The routing paths to most of the game servers i like to play on is lousy, making mstar a poor choice for gamers IMHO.

member for 10.1 years, 1245 visits, last login: 3.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by utahluge See Profile

• Location: Provo,Utah,UT
Good "Fast Internet - 10Mb / Faster Within Mstar Network"
Bad "Contract"
Overall "Good Fast Internet At A GREAT Price"

I got my internet @ $39.95 per month with a 12 month contract. Everything has been good and the only real downtime has been when some of MY equipment was faulty. I can easily download a total of 1MB (yes megabyte!) per second from multiple servers. Testing across one mstar router to a friends house showed us we were getting 2MB per second on the mstar network!!! Mstar has the right idea.

Update: MStar now offers a 50Mb Up / 50Mb Down tier for $39.95! Yeah!!

Comments:

Review by jaker1983 See Profile

• Location: Provo,Utah,UT
Good "Fast Speeds, No capping as far as I can tell, and great install techs"
Bad "Going through iProvo, took forever to install."
Overall "Great service once iProvo gets their part of the install completed."

I recently moved and decided to order MSTAR services. I got a deal with their triple play, TV, Phone and Internet all for $86. You can't beat that. I considered both Qwest and Comcast, but their speeds just can't compare to what you can get over Fiber, especially the up speeds. I love having 15Mb both ways. The install went smoothly on the MSTAR part. Their techs came in and ran CAT5 all over the house because the TV's are IPTV's. They did a great job and you can't even see the wires they ran. The iProvo installers on the other hand took forever and when they thought that they were done there was a problem with the fiber (it was dark.) They got it fixed the same day though, so that still is quite good.

All in all you can't beat MSTAR's pricing and packages unless you can get it on UTOPIA's network.