AT&T FTTP page on DSLReports

Review by parkerbryan See Profile

• Location: Rockwall,Rockwall,TX
Good "Reliable"
Bad "None, at this time."
Overall "For what we use it for, it just works."

Currently, my company utilizes the services of an AT&T dedicated FTTP line. This line is located in Rockwall, Texas.

I have no information about the original installation/cost, so I cannot provide that info, however I can attest to the great tech support and reliability of this line.

I will update this review as more information is gathered, it simply hasn't been a priority of mine.

Comments:

Review by Aidens Daddy See Profile

• Location: united state
Good "Low Pings (DSLReports in 35ms)"
Bad "PITA to order"
Overall "Lows Pings / Decent Speed / Servers Allowed"

Well, I purchased a new house in metro east IL about 20 miles east of St Louis. The first thing I noticed is pedestals with spools of fiber around them. One of these pedestals happened to be in my backyard. I call back in May regarding DSL, Cable, any form of Internet....

No sign from anybody. SBC/ATT didn't have a clue about the fiber in my backyard. So I ended up with Sprint EVDO service which works great for the job.

One day I notice a lot 2WIRE APs broadcasting with really strong signals. So I called ATT three different times and get different answers. Most saying we can't find your house in our system. So I call back one last time and spew my address info again. I don't even get a chance to breath and she says that I am on Fiber. I did a double take.

I asked her if it was called U-Verse and she said yes, but we do not have TV yet. She said that the tech would have to install two box, one on the outside and the "data port" on the inside. She also said that if the power goes out that I will lose all services. Sounds like fiber to me. She didn't say and I didn't ask, so I do not know if they will provide so form of backup power like a small UPS.

So they will be here next Monday to install it. It's only 6 megs but that beats the pants off the 1.5 megs I get with Sprint. I was also instructed to a totally different number as the other CSRs may not be aware of this program.

Update:

Installed only took about 4 hours. Tech did a great job, wired how I asked, etc. Great speeds and pings compared to Sprint's EVDO (Anything is better than nothing). U-Verse is coming soon.... Overall I wished they would have advertised better.

Comments:

Review by ripvanbl See Profile

• Location: Cedar Park,Williamson,TX
Good "Expandability, Great Field Techs"
Bad "Comparably slow 6mb/768kb got even worse 6mb/384kb"
Overall "Great field techs, Solid package, but not competitive speed vs. price"

The fact that the "fastest" internet speed (when I signed up in Feb. 2007 moving from California thus the 30 days) was suppose to be 6mb/1mb according to the salesman, but no matter how many calls I made once the service went live (in Mar. 2007), I only received 6mb/768kb per the package.

It was made even worse in the middle of Aug. 2007 when the upload was effectively halved to 384kb. The field techs did everything in their power to get this corrected, but the corporate stance was that upload was not guaranteed and that "400kbps was pretty good". This day in age, especially on a FTTP circuit, I didn't expect a downgrade.

The phone service was solid (had the all inclusive phone package thus the higher monthly cost .... internet was only $35/mo.), but the internet went down once in Apr. 2007 as they apparently ran out of bandwidth at the switching station. A call to the field manager and it was fixed in 2 days.

Again, I cannot stress how good the field techs were (Wes & Paul specifically), but in the end, the lack of competitiveness and 2 subsequent downgrades on the upload forced me to go with TW/RR 10Mb/1Mb service.

member for 10.3 years, 150 visits, last login: 2.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by netbob11 See Profile

• Location: Richardson,Dallas,TX
Good "Upload fast after I begged them to speed it up"
Bad "Install and tech support"
Overall "AT&T's right hand does not know what it's a%$#@ is doing."

Had the service for over a year now. The price jumped after the intro offer but I called and somehow got a helpful person that gave me an upgrade to pro service for cheaper than the jumped price. The service has been reliable but the order and install reminded me why I had changed services from the big phone company in the first place.

I ordered the service after all my neighbors had gotten there service installed. It took them a while to get the appointment for me because they did not know what FTTP was. When they came out they cut my copper phone line and then could not finish the install so I was out of phone service for a couple of days. Finally they got one line working then had to come back to setup the other line.

I was hoping for TV and internet over the FTTP. They are just now offering the U-verse service for me and I will think hard before I give up my dish after the AT&T experience.

Comments:

Review by MarkyD See Profile

• Location: Oklahoma City,Oklahoma,OK
Good "Fiber to the home, pretty reliable, good price."
Bad "Slow speeds for Fiber, PPPoE"
Overall "AT&T has bastardized FTTP."

I recently moved into a new development in SW Oklahoma City. This is one of the first neighborhoods in Oklahoma to have FTTP (fiber to the premises) from AT&T. The install tech told me that they will be rolling FTTP on all new homes from this point forward. AWESOME, right? Well, sort of.

First of all, the service is very reliable. I have not had it go down at all. I'm a little disappointed, however, in the performance. The latency is nothing special. Come to find out, AT&T's FTTP customers are still on the clunky DSL backbone and uses PPPoE. UVERSE users, which only have FTTN, get DHCP and don't have to deal with PPPoE. On top of that, no FTTP areas are able to get UVERSE TV right now, unless I'm mistaken. I see a few things wrong with this. FTTP offers much more capacity than FTTN. FTTN UVERSE has limitations right now, such as only 1 HD stream into the home at a time due to bandwidth constraints. FTTP SHOULD fix all that, but AT&T doesn't even offer TV over FTTP! Really stupid if you ask me.

Now, the bandwidth issue. The top speed offered is 6/1mbps. Yes, 6/1 over fiber. That's pretty pathetic, and there's really no reason for it that I know of.

Now, the good:

The techs AT&T sent out to do the install were really top notch. They showed up the day before the scheduled install to run the fiber from the street to the home, since the house is brand new. They got the ONT all set up the day before my install. The next morning my install was scheduled for 9am, and they showed up at 9:00 on the dot. Both techs were courteous and professional, and were happy to discuss technical details with me. One of them even asked if I was a member of BBR. He told me his BBR name but he's not here in an official capacity, so I won't repeat it. They set up the APC UPS in the garage, ran CAT5 to my office, put in a jack, hooked everything up and tested it...everything worked great right away. The techs that came out for my install really are the redeeming factor for this silly slow FTTP service.

Overall, I'm happy. However, I'd be much happier if they offered 12mbps or better download like Cox does in the area. 15/2 would be appropriate, I think.

member for 12.1 years, 3619 visits, last login: 161 days ago