Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by marksquared See Profile

• Location: North Las Vegas,Clark,NV
Overall "Don't buy the Verizon Jetpack"

Ordered the Jetpack mobile wifi with 4g monthly cap for $50/mo before tax. We wanted the Jetpack because we saw others using similar products in their RVs and we were told (by the sales staff at the the Verizon brick and mortar store) that we could use it at home or travelling and the 4g cap shouldn't be a problem as long as we weren't downloading videos, etc. We only use it, or have tried to use it, for email, social media and the occasional shopping. IT WON'T STAY CONNECTED. Sometimes it will remain online for up to an hour; most typically it will fail after a minute or so. We began complaining 30 days after we received the first product. In the 6 months we have been trapped into this contract we have received 3 replacement devices and a new sim card. We have logged many, many hours with their tech 'support' folks. They refuse to let us out of the contract without penalty because we live in an urban area with, supposedly, good reception and didn't complain within the first 14 days. They acknowledge that it is a nuisance to be constantly disconnected but as long as we are able to coax, cajole and beg the device to deliver our meager monthly allowance we are stuck with it. They are now sending us our 4th replacement device. Not only should you avoid the Jetpack - AVOID VERIZON!

Comments:
bbtech6650
join:2004-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Which Model?

Which model did you receive? I had constant connectivity problems with my 4620le sold through Mellenicom. I picked up a different model direct post-paid through Verizon and haven't had an issue with it.

Review by oldfart74 See Profile

• Location: Gwinn,Marquette,MI
Overall "Decieving and baiting"

Home Fusion 4G They did not tell us that because of the faster speed that your usage will increase substantially because the quality of the down loads increases and data usage is not proportional to what you get at slower connections like 3G. As far as I am concerned it is a big rip off compared to what the price of hard line connections are. The speed was fine but who needs 600 mph to go a mile when 70 gets you there just fine. Same picture looks the same.

Comments:
tdumaine
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

Lulz

So since you can download faster you have decided to download more, and thats deceptive? Self control is the key here

Review by Ricahard61 See Profile

• Location: Plattsmouth,Cass,NE
Bad "paying for 12 might be getting 4"
Overall "Not worth tring to get on line"

No other internet provider en close to us. Have to reset modem all the time.

Comments:

Review by rblenkhorn See Profile

• Location: Bangor,Penobscot,ME
Good "15-20 MB download 5-8 MB upload"
Bad "6 GIG LIMIT"
Overall "works very good for what it is, would be super great if higher cap"

Verizon. Its reliable. It works. that is about it. It is expensive, that is a fact. I have never dealt with customer service I pay the bill when it comes. I use the service. that is all

Comments:

Review by SanAntonioTx See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "Extreme 4G LTE speeds"
Bad "The price the data caps"
Overall "Great for wireless data"

The 4g LTE is outstanding sometimes near the tower i get over 60mbps down and 25mbps up *in most 4g lte areas* but for the most part its around 15/20mbps down and 5/15mbps up Great for everything Its very expensive service and the *SHARE EVERYTHING PLANS* are bad how ever ive been able to stream HD videos *netflix and youtube in the past at 1080p while being in the middle of no where in a country field here in South Texas while at the same time allowing 5 other people to be on my phone and streaming and uploading and downloading in the vehicle Set up an HDTV and watched a netflix video in the middle of a country field so yes verizon has great service in remote areas the 3G is also really good up to 2.6mbps down and 1/1.5mbps up in some areas and ping is below 150ms! so thats not bad for basic gaming The price though is whats going to get you. its expensive for my data plan is 22GB with hot spot 69.99 for unlimited talk and text and 10 for 1,000 Text messages but.since i fix extra computers i can afford that but for most people they say they use less then 2 Gigs of data that's a lie.. you pay for what you get but VZW still over charges in my opinion the plus side to all this is with less people on the tower you get more download speed and the upload speed far surpasses ATT 4G LTE upload speed on most speedtests

Verizon is great for wireless data. and the 700mhz spectrum

Comments:

Review by isp10002 See Profile

Good "Good if you have no wireline alternitives"
Bad "Crappy Caps, Slow Speeds, High cost"
Overall "I have nothing really good to say"

·Frontier Communi..
·Dish Network
NOTE: I dumped Verizon for frontier dsl, Also i do not have Verizon anymore and im writing this review right after i dumped them.

So i signed up for verizons 3g aircard 3+ years ago, It was good for us because back then we dident have dsl. The thing i stress the most about this service is its extremely expensive and has crappy caps. So around 2012 i noticed 3g got alot slower, and had high ping times. from 2010-2011 i noticed good speeds. We got 4g in 2012 (Thats probally why 3g was so slow) but we signed another 2 year contract for something on the account. Playing games was impossible and i was so fed up with verizon. So after we found out we can get dsl we dumped verizons sorry butt, Bye Verizon.

Comments:

Review by shakawkaw See Profile

• Location: Monroe,Snohomish,WA
Good "Speed"
Bad "Data caps, excessive overage charges"
Overall "Avoid as a main internet connection"

I used to be a Verizon employee installing FiOS, which I still think is the best thing out there for internet by a mile. Recently I moved to an area where the only options are satellite (no thanks), dial-up (hell no!), or a 4g solution like HomeFusion. I decided to give the HF a try. I am more than happy with the speeds. Often I will test around 27 Mb download over 17 Mb upload. This is awesome. What is not so awesome is a defect in the firmware of the "cantenna" that causes my connection to go down multiple times a day, sometimes for as long as 20 minutes.

Even with that known issue, by far, the worst part is that the highest possible monthly allowance is 30GB. As a main internet connection for two people, this just does NOT cut it. Even with scaling back on streaming there is no way we can stay below this limit, and at $10/GB, once you exceed it, the cost can be atrocious. To make matters worse, because of the great speed, you can literally eat through hundreds of dollars' worth of bandwidth in the span of an hour as I unfortunately just did when I made the mistake of installing a game on Steam that I thought was 1.5GB but was actually 15GB. Next time I opened my email I saw the 15 warnings there waiting for me at $10 a pop. Needless to say, I was NOT happy.

When I called VZ customer service they said there was nothing they were willing/able to do, and that I essentially just need to stay under 30GB to avoid paying any overage.

Bottom line - Avoid HomeFusion as your main source of internet connectivity unless you are seriously ok with using it to do nothing other than web browsing and email! Netflix, Steam, Vudu, Hulu, PlayStation Network or X-Box Live purchases......all of these things will become impossible to do affordably, and if anyone happens to decide to watch an HD movie be ready to shell out up to $50 with no chance of a mulligan.

Comments:

whocares256
Tag?, What Tag? TAG You're it.

join:2002-03-10
Anna, TX

Verizon wireless

Are you on a grandfathered Verizon wireless cellphone plan with data? Can you get unlimited data on your cellphone?
corvette1963

join:2013-04-30
Everett, WA

Re: Verizon wireless

I Think so

Review by Jeremy1976 See Profile

• Location: Belfast,Waldo,ME
Good "good bandwidth"
Bad "go through data cap fast, not very good latency"
Overall "good if its the only option you have"

I have verizon 4g hotspot enabled on my phone as a backup for when i travel or if i lose my dsl. The bandwidth is pretty good i get 30/15 mbps at my house. I have 10 GB's it eats through it pretty fast depending on what your doing. Browsing internet youd be fine but watching videos ordownloading a game or update for ps3 will really use it up fast. Its pretty expensive. My average ping times were around 90-100 ms. I guess if you cant get dsl or cable it would be good but just watch your data so you dont go over.

Comments:

admin123

@myvzw.com

wow your pings

My pings are 45/ 55 and gaming is smooth as butter.

Review by RobnLoudoun See Profile

• Location: 20141-2445
Good "Fastest connection available since there is no cable or del available locally"
Bad "Requires constant resets to maintain connection"
Overall "Not really ready for prime time - good when it works, but annoying when it requires resets"

Only broadband options available in many areas of Western Loudoun are satellite, and wireless broadband. I could have had a cable run to the house for $3,000, but didn't want to spend the money and then be in thrall to one cable company. Verizon Homefusion works nicely when it's connected, but it constantly disconnects and requires resetting the Cantenna.

Comments:

TucsonOne

@qwest.net

HomeFusion Problems

Conclusion: Verizon HomeFusion Problems - Product Inoperable

Observations from 22 Days of Verizon & Homeowner Efforts
Dates: Jan 17- Feb 6, 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ near Prince Rd & Soldier Trail Rd, stated by Verizon to be “in a very good 4G zone for reception, one mile from the cell phone tower supplying the 4G service”

Sales: Verizon store personnel didn’t know how to complete sales documentation, having sold very few units

Installation: well-trained, responsive, polite installer

The Cantenna: four different ones were replaced, all but one failed to maintain an internet connection longer than 12 hours, breaking connection (and failing to reconnect until power cycled via unplugging) up to eight times a day

The Router: twice replaced, no observations

The Tech Support:

- multiple failed attempts stopped cold at the Verizon main phone number (disconnected, wrong extension, Spanish language, etc.)

- first level technical personnel could offer only two interventions: unplug the cantennae or unplug the cable router; they had no other information available of any kind

- second level technical support were surly and had no further assistance

- third level (“trouble ticket”) personnel had access to the network functioning in the area but their interventions were also limited to hardware replacement or rebooting; they pointed towards ‘a drive around’ to access 4G reception in the area but could not schedule same within install time frames, ‘or for several weeks’

- when asked the third time via different technical support personnel, the Company agreed to extend the 14 day window of free use of the product for another 14 days; customer ended effort at 22 days having no confidence in the product nor the technical support and having spent nearly thirty hours trouble-shooting the devices

The Internet Connection:

- speeds as advertised, but wildly variable on ping, download and upload, and showing many spikes on Speedtest.net graphs suggesting poor connections; no Verizon personnel had access to devices nor online data that could pinpoint and remedy the problems

sbken

join:2002-03-09
Etowah, NC

Re: HomeFusion Problems

In my location AT&T DSL quality is extremely poor and slow. To add to the insult AT&T will not install any new DSL service! If you move into the area there is no AT&T DSL available and, according to AT&T, the reason for my slow/inferior service is that the service had to be "capped" as they are over capacity with no plans to upgrade their equipment. When I was made aware of Verizon's Homefusion I thought I finally had a good broadband option. Was was very wrong!

Starting with an installation scheduling disaster - the installer was not informed of the correct installation time - to technical problems and a gigantic data usage I canceled the service five days after unsuccessfully trying to resolve the issues. Technical support was unable to explain or resolve my problems and when they elevated the problem to the highest tier of Verizon technical support the problems were not even addressed.

Data usage issue: Although my pattern of internet usage remained the same after Homefusion installation my data usage rose from approximately 6BG/month with AT&T to approximately 5 GB in 24 hours! No one at Verizon Tech Support could explain the discrepancy. Since my Homefusion contract allowed 10 GB/month I would have been in deep financial trouble had I continued to use the service. (AT&T has an allowance of 150 GB/month.)

Speed: This is a real puzzler and Verizon Tech Support remained mystified. My download speed rarely exceeded 6 Mb/second and my upload speed was usually GREATER than the download speed.

When I finally called to cancel the service I was told to bring the Router to the Verizon store where I purchased the service. When I arrived at the store, after a considerable wait, I was informed that I had to *send* the Router back to Verizon and that Verizon would send me a prepaid shipping box. Seven days later I'm still waiting for that box.

Finally, I discovered that even though I canceled my service withing the fourteen-day trial period I would be charged a $35 "restocking fee". Oddly, Verizon does not want the large outside antenna "drum" returned, even though it is obviously an expensive item. It will remain a fixture on the outside of my house as a reminder that while Verizon is different from AT&, it is just as inept.

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Stealing money from you"
Bad "Stealing money from you"
Overall "Verizon wireless is just a bunch of thieves"

Beware of this business, no more than a bunch thieves. It took money from
my credit card in Nov 2012. When I complained, they told me the money will
be applied back to my credit card within 24-48 hours, which did not happen.
So far I had to called 16 times and go to the local store 4 times to get my
money back. Most of the time they promised me I would receive the money in
24-48 hours. They acknowledged that they wrongfully took my money, but
hesitated to return it. What a crooked thieves!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)