Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by bkwyatt98 See Profile

• Location: Martinsville,Martinsville City,VA
Good "LTE is extremly fast for any wireless service."
Bad "10 GB caps make me laugh no heavy internet user can deal with that."
Overall "Good if your on the road or live in a rural area it will beat DSl or satellite."

I had the Pantech UML 290 I had around 20 mbps downlink and 10 uplink. If Verizon would offer a 100GB plan for their home fusion or even mobile broadband at a price of no more than 140 a month I would diffidently sign up for service again. The speeds for people in rural areas are fantastic compared to 1.5 mbps DSL. However on average I use no less than 40GB a month so even the 30GB plan for home fusion is not a option for me. If caps do not scare you off and if you only have slow DSL or worse Hughes net. You will be happy with Verizon's super fast LTE network.

Comments:

Review by Vince_C See Profile

• Location: Grayson,Caldwell,LA
Good "Easy to install and use, and it functions well."
Bad "Overpriced and bandwidth capped service."
Overall "When it's the only real option you have for a decent connection, it's a must have service."

I live in an area where there are only two real choices for Internet service. In my opinion, the Verizon service is much better than satellite hands down. I would choose Verizon over satellite 7 days a week.

However, the pricing structure needs to be more competitive.

Comments:

Review by DrDubious See Profile

• Location: Olean,Cattaraugus,NY
Good "When it works, it's good: Comparable to DSL"
Bad "Expensive; Random terrible latency; Random connection loss."
Overall "If you can't get anything else, it's better than satellite. Watch Cap."

Verizon is the ONLY service available beside satellite in this area.
Speed is slow, cost is high and customer service is awful.
Maximum speed is between 700k and 2meg down/800k up. Latency runs from 100ms to over 500ms, sometimes 700-800ms. Service stops completely at least once a day, usually around midnight.
10GB cap is easily exceeded with typical internet usage and moderate gaming and software updates. No heavy downloads or file-sharing.

Comments:

Review by dmc271 See Profile

• Location: Stillwater,Payne,OK
Good "Fast LTE speeds most times"
Bad "Signal can be unreliable; sometime disconnects"
Overall "A viable option if you don't have a wired connection"

LTE can be both very fast and very slow, depending on the time of day. At its best, I get speeds up to 20 Mbps. At its worst (during some peak times), my speeds have dropped to as low as 1.5 Mbps and ping times worse than dialup (400+ ms; though, see my update below). This is with a UML290 aircard.

Overall, 4G is still much, much better than the WISP that I was using previously. If you're like me and don't have access to a wired connection, keep 4G LTE in mind, but do some thorough speed and ping tests during your 14-day trial.

Update December 2011:The manager of the local VZW store sent a local tech to investigate the issue. It was corrected, and the speeds are now consistently high. I always keep my eye on the speeds now. In fact, I waste much of my quota just running speed tests!

member for 5.9 years, 1120 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: Great Falls,Cascade,MT
Good "not much"
Bad "deceptive Verizon sales practices"
Overall "use Bresnan or some other provider in Missoula, MT"

My daughter, a student at Univ Montana in Missoula recently signed up for Verizon 4G Mobile broadband on my account. Internet access was lousy. She would get logged out if not using for 5-10min and often had difficultly logging back in. Also the device that connects to her laptop was bulky and cumbersome and got broken in the first month. I tried to cancel after 30 days and was told she had a 2-yr contract, could only terminate without fees for first 14 days, with $170 early termination fee thereafter. Daughter says Verizon sales rep did not tell her about these conditions and when I spoke to the rep when setting up the broadband account she certainly did not tell me about these conditions. I called the Verizon store in Missoula and they said "tough luck". I called Verizon customer service twice and they said "tough luck" too. They put me on "perpetual hold" during second call. Third call to Verizon resulted in termination fee reduced to $100. My advice is to NOT use Verizon for broadband access in Missoula, MT. If you decide to use Verizon anyway, be sure to remind your student to carefully inquire about terms of service because the sales rep we dealt with was careful to not mention these important details.

(review was emailed from domain msn.com)

Comments:

Review by hbellante See Profile

• Location: Virginia Beach,Virginia Beach City,VA
Good "The commercials used to be humorous."
Bad "Customer/tech support is WORST I've ever encountered"
Overall "Terrible customer service!"

When I moved recently, I planned to change to Verizon for my televison, phone and internet bundle. I had been disappointed in the prices through Cox in the past and wanted to try something better. Fios was not available in my area yet so they sent me direct tv. Unfortunately, directv could not get a satellite signal through my landlord's trees. Thus, I opted out of the tv part and simply kept Verizon for internet since they had already sent the equipment. I hardly know how to describe what followed over the next month. Countless phone calls to and from tech support all utilizing my phone minutes (from Sprint by the way) to who knows where (it sounded like India.) Not a single person was able to help me even though they each claimed to know why my account continued to read "pending" for weeks and why there was never any service turned on. I finally got fed up and sent the equipment back after being "assured" by a manger over the phone that I had a "0" bill and no charges because they had never turned anything on. Three months after sending everything back and HAPPILY paying the extra money to Cox, I am not only still getting bills from Verizon but have been sent to COLLECTIONS because they deseperately want to collect their $60! This company DOES NOT CARE! They have clearly become too big and don't know how to handle growth. I work for one of the top-rated customer service companies in the country and if I EVER put someone on hold for 47 mins when they asked to speak to a manager, I'd lose my job. Through my company, I also have an opportunity to get a discounted cell phone from Verizon- no thanks! I'll continue to pay more!

Comments:

Review by asdfdfdfdf7 See Profile

Good "It's better than dial up or satellite"
Bad "Cost, erratic performance, 5GB limits, punitive overages ($50/GB for me, later contracts since reduced to $10GB)"

This is for 3g service.

The service is fine for what it is, which is a service for those in areas with no wireline options. It is not something that should be considered for those who have any wireline choice, unless it is to supplement such a wireline connection with the mobility of a wireless option.

For things like browsing, email it is fine.

You can stream some audio and it generally works fine.

If gaming involves nothing more than casual games it will be fine.
The cap will limit significant gaming given the size of present games and patches.
Performance rules out shooters or any type of twitch game. You could play a rpg on it. For shooters latency is all over the place and, even after tweaking network settings, massive packet loss and corruption is an issue most of the time. If you game in the middle of the night things might be better.

The connection is reliable in the sense that I have never had a problem with the service going down. Sometimes it drops but I can reconnect quickly and I wouldn't call this a major problem.

It is a service that those suffering on dial up will find satisfying. For anyone who has had real broadband it will be a big expensive disappointment and no one should think that it can be a viable alternative to cable,dsl, fiber. For those of us who have no other options it is good enough, but I guess it has to be.

Comments:

Review by cbradioman See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Calhoun,AL
Bad "Speed is now terrible....."
Overall "If this is all you can get, then it will work, but I dont recommend it at all."

I have had this for over 4 years now and when I first got it, it was excellent. Now the service most of the time is worse than dial up, if it even loads the page. So bottom line is if you can get anything else DONT get Verizon Broadband. My cell phone coverage has decreased also. With several calls to verizon they always tell me its the terrian. The real problem is they are very overloaded here and cant keep up with the demand.

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/1393300···G][/URL]

Comments:

Review by Rockin4D See Profile

• Location: Beggs,Okmulgee,OK
Good "I can at least play some popular games."
Bad "Impossible to download large updates. Your TCP instance will get snipped if on too long. Chat programs unstable connection"
Overall "pretty much all i can get. Big companies have all but abandoned rural areas. (we are have nots) Would love good cable or dsl"

Its not DSL but for what i can do i'm happy with what i've seen so far.
Purchased Verizon wireless MiFi2200
Got the highest plan possible (has 5 gig cap)
Still have to go into town for major operating system updates
and especially game or other huge software upgrades. If one is not careful
you can suck up the 5 gigs way fast before the 30 day window is up.
I just started with the service today and am counting numbers and usage.
I just need to keep it under an average of 170 mbytes a day.
The lower rating for value for money i think is accurate. Its expensive
and makes me jealous that folks with dsl or cable can download way beyond
gigs a month for 1/3 the service cost. Overall.... i'm back online and happy.
WoW plays nicely.
Been a long 18 month wait.

Updates as time goes on.

may 26th 2010
The service is beginning to demonstrate that it uses/depends on software
traffic control. I 've noticed many times i get knocked down from higher speeds
to about 14k per second (128K connection) This has been happening
alot more often as the months have gone on. Normally i wouldn't mind this but
i've also noticed alot of service hiccups where i get disconnected
about 5 to 10 times in an hours time. My chat programs suffer the worst of this.
Many times i've been logged off and didn't even know it and lost about 5 lines of text i typed
and uploaded. Hopefully this improves as 4G begins rolling out across the country.
If verizon simply left me capped at 128K connection speed without the hiccups i would not complain.
my two changes to the ratings drop service to a 3 and connection reliability to a 3 from higher numbers because of my recent experiences. Verizon improve on these please.

Update April 1, 2011
I've since upgraded to the 10 gig plan hoping for a less cramped experience.
its a bit more tolerable. Can still Play WoW and Eve Online plus a few other games.
Major downside on getting updates that wont resume. If you have a large download to complete i suggest that you pack up your whole computer and drive to town and use a friends cable or DSL connection. This service has some unwritten fair access policy rules that will slow your connection down to 14k bytes a second from the ranging 100 to 220k a second and once it happens it will not speed up again unless you restart the Mifi or stop the download. Very irritating if you have a large download to complete. I wasted over an hour downloading an Iphone update using this device. After roughly that time if you've not finished your download Verizon says your done. Thats it no resume. I fired off a complaint via email demanding this wasted data download not go towards my monthly limit but i'm sure it will fall on deaf ears. I'm on a mac pro 64 bit system using AdiumX multi client chat program, and also have the regular versions of other chat programs installed. Using the mifi wirelessly (which is the only way i can use it since its not compatable with 64 bit OSX) i've experienced utter unreliable connections to my chat programs. Every few minutes i get constant disconnects and worst of all i dont know i'm disconnected. Messages are constantly lost incoming and outgoing.

Given these latest experiences i have dropped service and connection reliability to 2's from 3's. Verizon needs to let users use their data bucket as they see fit without TCP cut offs or slowdowns.

Update July 11, 2011
Tech support has improved for me as i call them quite alot to complain of connection and contuinity of connection issues. Still unable to do a full download update on my iphone unless i save the data as a file instead of direct update.
The download will usually begin slowing after 300 or so megs and i'm fully cut off
right at the 500 meg mark. If unable to resume a download you lost it all.

The Mifi style devices such as the 2020, 5 spot, and samsung 4g device are overall unreliable if you intend to use them as a full time modem all day for long periods of time like internet should be used. I've exchanged the mifi 2020 twice, been through one 5 spot, and on my 3rd samsung device now already. Batteries
tend to get hot when your surfing or gaming for long periods (because i leave it plugged in to avoid getting disconnected when it goes dead) Verizon could really do alot better.

Began noticing that while on youtube or any streaming video sites i get smacked back to slower speeds quite frequently. This is very frustrating. Apparently the customer base is getting crowded now and i expect to see alot more of this network behavior in the future. Still wishing and wishing and waiting for a wired internet solution to come to my home.

Comments:

Review by padre44 See Profile

• Location: Powhatan,Powhatan,VA
Good "Good backup"
Bad "No 4G here yet"
Overall "Better than nothing"

Got a MiFi from Verizon to use primarily while traveling in our motor home. Verizon is available most everywhere and the service is better than the available free wifi in many RV parks. Of course it is not like our Comcast cable at home, but the Comcast cable seems to go out at times so I use the MiFi as a backup. I have the 5 gig a month for $50. I'm told that is plenty unless you stream video or download large amounts of music. We'll see. 2 laptops share the connection. Two desktops on another floor have trouble getting on it, so signal must not travel as far as the wireless router we have. If they did I'd consider dropping Comcast - it is getting more unreliable. As with other Verizon services, you hope you don't need tech support because it is a pain.

member for 14.4 years, 1313 visits, last login: 2.6 years ago