Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by mc1lean See Profile

• Location: Lincolnton,Lincoln,NC
Good "1.5 years ago was great. Up to 20MB down at times."
Bad "Periods of unreliability. Down for the last week!"
Overall "Not bad when it works."

The more trouble you have, the more likely VZW is to "let you out of the contract". When did that become an acceptable way to do business?

Had Sprint then Sprint/Millenicom, overlapped with VZW, dumped Sprint, now have VZW and AT&T. Much as I hate the AT&T bureaucracy, at least they work.

member for 7 years, 158 visits, last login: 1 year ago

• Location: Palm Harbor,Pinellas,FL
Good "Coverage area"
Bad "Salesmanship"
Overall "Oversold on a contract, withheld vital information from me on the products, alternate plans, etc."

My experience with Verizon is as follows:

Superb, if not one of the best carriers as far as coverage, pretty good on
Customer Service- however, in my most recent encounter with their Reps, under the
guise of "helping me" they tried to sell me what I really didn't need instead of focusing on handling my complaint of inadequate service for the money I was paying. Fortunately, I stood my ground as I learned from my earlier mistakes and my own research.

That said, I would say that their weak point on integrity is their sales
line. I found that they had their own agenda and were not looking out for
my best interest. Specifics follow...

I am a single, middle aged woman and the best for me would have been the
plan I am on now, month to month unlimited voice, text and data for $50 per
month.

Instead I was grossly oversold on a 2 year contract with out-right lies
about the value of the products and service. Note: On contract, I would
have to pay literally 3x the amount, if not more, for the same service I am
getting now.

More specifics... As part of the contract I received an LG phone "free"
valued at $200 or so, had it stolen and a pre-owned replacement cost me
nearly the same. But get this... I just got an LG Revere- very similar
model at Walmart for $15 to initiate my pre-paid plan!

Further.... my contract was upgraded to include a broadband for "free" (valued at $75- but can be purchased for $30 or less elsewhere) that I didn't need. The salesman
neglected to inform me that I could pay a few dollars a month and access Gmail on my cell phone! It was costing me $40 per month until I got wiseto it.

On top of that I was assessed a contract breakage fee- approx $150! I now have yet another fee to pay due to ending my overall contract 2 months early- $70. But I went with it anyway as it cost me less in the long run to switch to the month to month plan.

Overall, I estimate their questionable sales tactics lost me at least $1000, if not $1500.

I'm not happy in the least and told them so and have not only asked for my
fee to be waived, but to compensated for this awful, costly experience.

KMR

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

John Lenihan

@bhn.net

Verizon

Mail a short letter (or use their online form) to

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
P.O. Box 4503
Iowa City, Iowa 52244

and tell them the story. No guarantees, but they usually try to be helpful.

Review by bkwyatt98 See Profile

• Location: Martinsville,Martinsville City,VA
Good "LTE is extremly fast for any wireless service."
Bad "10 GB caps make me laugh no heavy internet user can deal with that."
Overall "Good if your on the road or live in a rural area it will beat DSl or satellite."

I had the Pantech UML 290 I had around 20 mbps downlink and 10 uplink. If Verizon would offer a 100GB plan for their home fusion or even mobile broadband at a price of no more than 140 a month I would diffidently sign up for service again. The speeds for people in rural areas are fantastic compared to 1.5 mbps DSL. However on average I use no less than 40GB a month so even the 30GB plan for home fusion is not a option for me. If caps do not scare you off and if you only have slow DSL or worse Hughes net. You will be happy with Verizon's super fast LTE network.

Comments:

Review by Vince_C See Profile

• Location: Grayson,Caldwell,LA
Good "Easy to install and use, and it functions well."
Bad "Overpriced and bandwidth capped service."
Overall "When it's the only real option you have for a decent connection, it's a must have service."

I live in an area where there are only two real choices for Internet service. In my opinion, the Verizon service is much better than satellite hands down. I would choose Verizon over satellite 7 days a week.

However, the pricing structure needs to be more competitive.

Comments:

Review by DrDubious See Profile

• Location: Olean,Cattaraugus,NY
Good "When it works, it's good: Comparable to DSL"
Bad "Expensive; Random terrible latency; Random connection loss."
Overall "If you can't get anything else, it's better than satellite. Watch Cap."

Verizon is the ONLY service available beside satellite in this area.
Speed is slow, cost is high and customer service is awful.
Maximum speed is between 700k and 2meg down/800k up. Latency runs from 100ms to over 500ms, sometimes 700-800ms. Service stops completely at least once a day, usually around midnight.
10GB cap is easily exceeded with typical internet usage and moderate gaming and software updates. No heavy downloads or file-sharing.

member for 12.7 years, 1268 visits, last login: 118 days ago

Comments:

Review by dmc271 See Profile

• Location: Stillwater,Payne,OK
Good "Fast LTE speeds most times"
Bad "Signal can be unreliable; sometime disconnects"
Overall "A viable option if you don't have a wired connection"

LTE can be both very fast and very slow, depending on the time of day. At its best, I get speeds up to 20 Mbps. At its worst (during some peak times), my speeds have dropped to as low as 1.5 Mbps and ping times worse than dialup (400+ ms; though, see my update below). This is with a UML290 aircard.

Overall, 4G is still much, much better than the WISP that I was using previously. If you're like me and don't have access to a wired connection, keep 4G LTE in mind, but do some thorough speed and ping tests during your 14-day trial.

Update December 2011:The manager of the local VZW store sent a local tech to investigate the issue. It was corrected, and the speeds are now consistently high. I always keep my eye on the speeds now. In fact, I waste much of my quota just running speed tests!

• Location: Great Falls,Cascade,MT
Good "not much"
Bad "deceptive Verizon sales practices"
Overall "use Bresnan or some other provider in Missoula, MT"

My daughter, a student at Univ Montana in Missoula recently signed up for Verizon 4G Mobile broadband on my account. Internet access was lousy. She would get logged out if not using for 5-10min and often had difficultly logging back in. Also the device that connects to her laptop was bulky and cumbersome and got broken in the first month. I tried to cancel after 30 days and was told she had a 2-yr contract, could only terminate without fees for first 14 days, with $170 early termination fee thereafter. Daughter says Verizon sales rep did not tell her about these conditions and when I spoke to the rep when setting up the broadband account she certainly did not tell me about these conditions. I called the Verizon store in Missoula and they said "tough luck". I called Verizon customer service twice and they said "tough luck" too. They put me on "perpetual hold" during second call. Third call to Verizon resulted in termination fee reduced to $100. My advice is to NOT use Verizon for broadband access in Missoula, MT. If you decide to use Verizon anyway, be sure to remind your student to carefully inquire about terms of service because the sales rep we dealt with was careful to not mention these important details.

(review was emailed from domain msn.com)

Comments:

Review by hbellante See Profile

• Location: Virginia Beach,Virginia Beach City,VA
Good "The commercials used to be humorous."
Bad "Customer/tech support is WORST I've ever encountered"
Overall "Terrible customer service!"

When I moved recently, I planned to change to Verizon for my televison, phone and internet bundle. I had been disappointed in the prices through Cox in the past and wanted to try something better. Fios was not available in my area yet so they sent me direct tv. Unfortunately, directv could not get a satellite signal through my landlord's trees. Thus, I opted out of the tv part and simply kept Verizon for internet since they had already sent the equipment. I hardly know how to describe what followed over the next month. Countless phone calls to and from tech support all utilizing my phone minutes (from Sprint by the way) to who knows where (it sounded like India.) Not a single person was able to help me even though they each claimed to know why my account continued to read "pending" for weeks and why there was never any service turned on. I finally got fed up and sent the equipment back after being "assured" by a manger over the phone that I had a "0" bill and no charges because they had never turned anything on. Three months after sending everything back and HAPPILY paying the extra money to Cox, I am not only still getting bills from Verizon but have been sent to COLLECTIONS because they deseperately want to collect their $60! This company DOES NOT CARE! They have clearly become too big and don't know how to handle growth. I work for one of the top-rated customer service companies in the country and if I EVER put someone on hold for 47 mins when they asked to speak to a manager, I'd lose my job. Through my company, I also have an opportunity to get a discounted cell phone from Verizon- no thanks! I'll continue to pay more!

Comments:

Review by asdfdfdfdf7 See Profile

Good "It's better than dial up or satellite"
Bad "Cost, erratic performance, 5GB limits, punitive overages ($50/GB for me, later contracts since reduced to $10GB)"

This is for 3g service.

The service is fine for what it is, which is a service for those in areas with no wireline options. It is not something that should be considered for those who have any wireline choice, unless it is to supplement such a wireline connection with the mobility of a wireless option.

For things like browsing, email it is fine.

You can stream some audio and it generally works fine.

If gaming involves nothing more than casual games it will be fine.
The cap will limit significant gaming given the size of present games and patches.
Performance rules out shooters or any type of twitch game. You could play a rpg on it. For shooters latency is all over the place and, even after tweaking network settings, massive packet loss and corruption is an issue most of the time. If you game in the middle of the night things might be better.

The connection is reliable in the sense that I have never had a problem with the service going down. Sometimes it drops but I can reconnect quickly and I wouldn't call this a major problem.

It is a service that those suffering on dial up will find satisfying. For anyone who has had real broadband it will be a big expensive disappointment and no one should think that it can be a viable alternative to cable,dsl, fiber. For those of us who have no other options it is good enough, but I guess it has to be.

Comments:

Review by cbradioman See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Calhoun,AL
Bad "Speed is now terrible....."
Overall "If this is all you can get, then it will work, but I dont recommend it at all."

I have had this for over 4 years now and when I first got it, it was excellent. Now the service most of the time is worse than dial up, if it even loads the page. So bottom line is if you can get anything else DONT get Verizon Broadband. My cell phone coverage has decreased also. With several calls to verizon they always tell me its the terrian. The real problem is they are very overloaded here and cant keep up with the demand.

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/1393300···G][/URL]