Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by Rockin4D See Profile

• Location: Beggs,Okmulgee,OK
Good "seems to be fast when it does stay connected"
Bad "Constant disconnects Very poor battery life."
Overall "Verizon please sell devices that do one simple thing WORK RIGHT"

I joined Verizon wireless back in Jan of 2010. Started with the Mifi 2200 and complained of being constantly disconnected when i had multi chat clients connected. Was recently swapped out for a 3g 5 spot. Same results unreliable connections. Ultimately Verizon allowed me to try the Samsung 4G LTE card. That piece of plastic so far is the worst of the 3. Starting the device takes about 3 tries to get the right amount of lights lit up to connect my computer wirelessly. About every 5 to 20 minutes the blue router light turns green and dumps my computer from the local area network and thus to the internet. Takes about 20 tries of restarting and password entries over and over and i finally get back on the net. This vastly irritating behavior by a device is simply unacceptable. For years DSL modems just work dialup modems just work routers work. Wifi devices do not. I've been waiting for decent wired internet to come to my home so i dont have to write crappy reviews of all the services i'm trying out of desperation. While i wrote this i was disconnected and had to run the constant relogs to get back in. .

member for 7 years, 314 visits, last login: 2 years ago

Comments:

Review by bacchus101 See Profile

• Location: Portland,Cumberland,ME
Good "Faster than Satellite with better responsiveness."
Bad "Data cap. Overage charges are ridiculously expensive."
Overall "If you are like me and don't have DSL/Cable/Fixed Wireless as an option, this will suffice."

I purchased a Samsung 4G LTE hotspot (but can only connect via 3G from my location.)

I have great signal strength (usually around an 81 in the web interface) and see download speeds approaching 1.7MB/s and upload speeds near 900KB/s.

Overall, it is a good service when there are no other options (besides satellite/dialup.) It is expensive, but I need near broadband internet speed and thus am willing to pay the $80 a month (10GB cap) plus overage ($10 per GB.)

My connection has been reliable (except for the entire day when the Verizon network went down this week.)

I'd recommend this service for business use, but it is not a replacement for "real" internet in that the cap is so low, you can eat your entire daily allowance in mere minutes...

member for 7.7 years, 240 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by lordpuffer See Profile

• Location: Rio Rancho,Sandoval,NM
Good "Great Signal Where I Live!"
Bad "Phone Has Been Giving Me Some Problems"
Overall "Good Service, But Problems With My Droid Pro"

·CableOne
I had the iPhone with AT&T. I had pretty good service where I live. However, I got tired of the iPhone (which I do pretty quickly with a cell phone), and wanted to get the Droid Pro with Verizon. I liked it for it had the Blackberry type keyboard, and one of the latest Android OS's.

Well, I'm on my third Droid Pro. The first one just didn't work properly. The second one would re-boot by itself constantly. The third one was working fine, now it is starting to re-boot by itself. I can say though, that the Network is good, and I haven't dropped a call yet.

If the Droid Pro continues to re-boot by itself, I'm going to try to talk to Verizon to get the HTC Thunderbolt (when it comes out), at the new customer price. Whether or not they will let me, I'll have to see.

UPDATE: 3/17/11 I exchanged my defective Droid Pro for another new one. The Verizon store Manager was very understanding. I also purchased an extended battery. Now, this fourth one works fine.

UPDATE 3/25/11 After my 5th Droid Pro started re-booting by itself, VZ sold me the HTC Thunderbolt at a new customer price. Certain things didn't work properly on it (Tier 2 Tech Support told me it was defective, and to exchange it at a VZ store), the store would not exchange it, so I returned it and canceled my service.

member for 10 years, 3245 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by oneacn See Profile

• Location: Polk City,Polk,FL
Good "Pricing"
Bad "Verizon Customer Service Lies"

·T-Mobile US
Note:

This post will be posted in several areas of the internet to expose Verizon Wireless as a company that does not wish to play fair with their customers and is out to get money from every aspect possible and will even risk customer cancellation to get this job done.

World Of Warcraft in their attempts to fight account theft have implemented new security measures which effect verizon wireless customers without a static ip. Due to the nature of verizon's ip system bouncing from city to city to city users of the popular World Of Warcraft game who do not have a static ip address or an ip address that originates out of the same city every time will have to either A. Call Blizzard Daily to get their account unlocked or B. Purchase A Static IP address for the one time cost of $500.00 and they guarantee that you will never have this problem.

Due to the nature of this issue Verizon Wireless stands to lose a lot of money from customers who use Verizon Mobile Broadband as a way of connecting to World Of Warcraft and other blizzard games.

What do we as customers think about this.. I am actually on the phone right now with Verizon Wireless to cancel my service because I will find another company that will work with me to accomplish what I am looking to do.

Any other suggestions

Ken

you may e mail me at wings.tigers.wolverines at gmail.com it forwards to my PDA

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.5.4
click START to begin

** Starting test 1 of 1 **
Connected to: speedtest.umflint.edu -- Using IPv4 address
Another client is currently being served, your test will begin within 45 seconds
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
checking for firewalls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 360.0kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 1.67Mb/s
Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

Comments:

Review by jdbob See Profile

• Location: John Day,Grant,OR
Good "Faster than our local DSL"
Bad "Cost"
Overall "Just glad it's available"

Update 22 Sept. 2010:

I noticed that a download was going faster than I had expected the other day so I tried a new speedtest. New test showed a ping of 111 ms, download of 2.16 Mbps, and an upload of 0.63 Mbps. Quite an improvement from the 1 Mbps download speed before. I'm using a UM175 modem and CTR-350 wireless router.

Original:

The only option to dial-up here until 6 months ago was satellite. I had been using Tachyon commercial satellite since moving here in 2003, but it was slow (128K/64K) and it was limited to 1.5GB per month.

A few months ago our local telephone company (CenturyLink) started offering "Extended Internet" which is a euphemism for "we're too cheap to install a remote terminal" which is 256K/128K. The only good thing about it is the lower ping time and the ability to run servers without violating their T.O.S.

Tachyon's change in satellite later this month (and the old age of the equipment, originally purchased in 2000 for use in New Mexico) prompted me to look into Verizon.

I generally get around 800K-1000K down and 200-300K up so it's quite a bit faster than the third-world DSL service. I've reconfigured the internal network to use DSL for the servers, Verizon for general browsing and email, and to dump the satellite.

Since there has already been a 66 hour DSL outage I don't feel comfortable making it my only internet connection, so having two connections provides more reliability.

member for 5.3 years, 1221 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ggultra2764 See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,Washington,NY
Good "Large amounts of rural coverage, beats dial-up, great connection speeds."
Bad "The 5 GB monthly download limit, BroadbandAccess speeds make it tempting to go over 5 GB quickly."
Overall "Worth it if you are often on the go, but can be a problem if you use more than 5 GB in a month."

·Millenicom
·AT&T Wireless Br..
For six months after I left college, I was desperately searching around for broadband Internet for my laptop. DSL and cable connections were tempting. But, they had no coverage in my area and TimeWarner Cable wanted me to cough up over $900 to get a cable out where I live which was way too costly for me, especially since I just got out of college. And I heard enough evil things about sattelite Internet so I didn't want to venture into their territory.

But while Christmas shopping for my family at Best Buy, I came across a Verizon Wireless salesman selling wireless USB modems. He was quite understanding of my situation and gave me plenty of information about Verizon's wireless Internet network, including the NationalAccess connections possible in places that couldn't normally get dial-up. Tempted, I subscribed to the network right on the spot and the cost for the USB modem was reduced since I now had a subscription.

Installation of the modem was simple enough once I installed the hardware for it on my computer via CD and setting up the modem for one of my computer's USB port. The installation of the modem only took me about 5 minutes.

As for connections, I can only get the NationalAccess connection out where I live, but the connection's quite good and I can get download and upload speeds 4 times faster than my old dial-up connection on AOL when I ran a speed test on the modem (120 kbps Down/ 123 kbps Up).

There are two major problems that I do have with Verizon Wireless's services though. First, would be the 5 GB monthly download limit. With my regular Internet use at college, I would normally use about 25 to 30 GB a month doing Internet browsing, video streaming, and peer-to-peer downloads using Bittorrent. My laptop only has about 25 GB of hard drive space so I can't overhaul my laptop with downloaded files as heavily as those with higher storage capacities for their computer. 5 GB is a bit limiting for what I would like to get off my new connection, especially since I can only get the NationalAccess connection from Verizon Wireless out where I live.

Second of course, would be the limitations of what you can do with Verizon's connection. Verizon Wireless's Terms of Service specifically state their service is only meant to be used for basic Internet uses such as Internet browsing and e-mailing. Peer-to-peer programs and video streaming, my two frequent uses of the Internet at college, are of prohibited use in their services and I've heard of enough folks who made the jump from Verizon to Sprint because they felt limited in what they could do online while with Verizon Wireless.

With both of these issues, I think Verizon Wireless has a poor preconceived notion of what they think all people like to do online much like sattelite Internet providers have with their Fair Access Policies.

If you live in the boonies, can't get DSL or cable out where you live, and can't stand dial-up or sattelite Internet, then Verizon Wireless could be for you. Just be prepared for a limited online experience if you like doing more online besides Internet browsing and e-mailing.

UPDATE (12/14/07): During the past few days, my area was hit by a series of snow storms. This obviously effected how good my connection was as both my download and upload rates had dropped into the lower-90 kbps on Thursday and my connection was at two bars most of the time up to early today. Right now, my connection is back up to three bars and my download rate improved from Wednesday's speed test.

UPDATE (4/6/08): It's been over four months now since I went on Verizon Wireless for an ISP. I can still only get NationalAccess connections here at my house and even with an antenna I bought for my USB modem, I can still only get NationalAccess. The only benefit with the antenna is an improved signal with my connection.

My Internet use during the week is normally close to or over 100 MB a day since I work most of the day and around 200 MB a day on weekends. A good chunk of my data usage comes from seeing videos on Youtube, frequent downloading, and updating my virus and spyware protection.

NationalAccess seems more of a blessing for me since videos and downloaded files do take time to load up on the 1XRTT connection of NationalAccess. I would be more tempted to use more of my monthly data if I did have BroadbandAccess capable speeds out where I lived which could give me problems thanks to the 5 GB cap VZW has set up. It would be better if they either gave higher data usage for the month or actually give Sprint a run for their money by actually offering unlimited data usage at a cheaper price.

Otherwise, the connection has been able to hold up very well and I rarely lose my signal. If VZW were to just lighten up on their Terms of Service and their monthly caps, then I could do more with the connection without worrying about my data usage.

UPDATE (4/8/08): I checked Verizon's Terms of Service today and it looks like they have lightened up on what you can use their connection for. Online gaming and streaming are now allowed. I still wish they can lighten up on their monthly caps.

UPDATE (6/2/08): I now have BroadbandAccess Rev. A coverage out where I live. After doing a speed test, I got 953 kbps down, 500 kbps up. While the greater speed is a great asset to me, now I'm gonna have to be more wary of how much I download since I can get things faster. I still think VZW should lighten up on their caps.

UPDATE (6/3/08): Speed tests came up with 831 kbps down, 397 kbps up. And the speeds I got from yesterday had me tempted to do some downloading which within an hour, I already used over 100 MB of my data usage. I've already used over 3 GB of my data usage for this billing period so far and it won't be for two weeks until my data account is reset for the next billing period. I see no reason to having such a large amount of download speed if I have such a small monthly cap put on it which is why I could deal with NationalAccess easier since it took me longer to get stuff downloaded.

UPDATE (7/13/08): As of Friday, I went over my 5 GB cap yet so far I haven't been throttled which must mean my area isn't too reliant on the wireless tower near my house. And topping off the fact that I signed up for VZW back in December of last year, I also don't have to worry about overage fees so I'm in a bit of a lucky situation at this moment. But, this doesn't change my criticism of being wary of Verizon's caps, especially if you got a contract with them after March of this year. Latest speed test results are 778 kbps down, 380 kbps up.

UPDATE (9/18/08): I got my bandwidth throttled last month from using 8 GB in a month due to the fact I'm currently unemployed. I have heard rumors that those with an 'unlimited' account can use up to 7 GB in a month before having their speed throttled which could explain why the two months I went over 5 GB didn't get me throttled. I'm now back at full speed as of today. Latest speed test results are 1035 kbps down, 388 kbps up.

UPDATE (12/2/08): It's now been just over a year since I first made my contract with VZW. I've been throttled for a second month since I used nearly 8 GB in two consecutive months which goes to show where a tight monthly cap can get you while bored and unemployed. But of course, I don't have overage fees to worry about since I'm still on an 'unlimited' contract. As far as my connection is concerned, it still holds up well in most circumstances. I've had occasions where I can't connect to web sites or lose my connection due to heavy weather. But, this is expected since it's a wireless connection after all.

I am hoping within the next year that VZW loosens up on its tight caps before I have to renew my contract. It would be a pain to have to pay overage fees just because I decide to go giddy on watching Youtube videos one night in a single sitting.

I've even heard that T-Mobile offers a 10 GB cap or unlimited data usage with its customers which seems far more flexible than what I'm getting out of VZW. Too bad there's no T-Mobile coverage out here. Otherwise, I would consider jumping WISPs once my contract with VZW expired if Verizon still doesn't loosen up on caps.than

UPDATE (6/9/09): It's been over 18 months now since I first got on a contract with VZW. Connection still holds up well and I'm still not happy with the 5 GB bandwidth cap. While it does look like VZW's easing on its overage fees, the price is still costly for my regular monthly usage being between 7 and 8 GB. I still don't have to worry about overage fees for another 6 months since my contract is still on VZW's old terms. But I'd like something more better than paying over $100 in overage fees every month if I choose to renew my contract with them.

UPDATE (9/3/2010): Still on VZW and I've been on my old contract for nearly 3 years meaning I can now jump ship whenever without being charged an ETF. Being unemployed's led me to make more use of my Internet connection with me normally using 10-11 GB a month which has led to my connection speed getting throttled every other month. Connection still holds up well in most situations, despite frequent throttling. Unless VZW learns to not be so tight with their caps (doubtful!) or I find similar/ faster Internet speeds at a better price (unless I escape from the boonies, fat chance for another 3-4 years when LTE is deployed), I plan to stay on my grandfathered contract where I don't get charged overage fees for as long as possible.

member for 7.1 years, 2760 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sswheeler06 See Profile

• Location: Carlisle,Warren,IA
Good "Free hardware"
Bad "Connection drops, price and caps"
Overall "It will do for now."

I live in the country and this is sorta the best thing now. I get decent speeds, seem to be better than satellite, but I do have a lot of drops. I am past my 2 year contract and I really don't want to get new hardware and sign a new one. I am a little curious to see how WildBlue will do when the new sat is launched and see if they can compete with DSL and so forth. that is what their claim is. So we will see.

Comments:

Review by reddog4321 See Profile

• Location: Olney,Montgomery,MD
Good "You can get fast internet access from the road"
Bad "Gouge rates for going over 5Gb. Get very slow connections at times, including when in a high speed network area!"
Overall "Its probbaly the most available service but be careful you are not gouged going over 5Gb"

This service will keep you connected. When it works well you get very fast service. Not DSL fast but good enough. However I find myself in areas, where the EVDO network is available but get horrible connection speed. For examplem, Internet Speed Test any where from 250ms to 750ms. .57Mbs down and .11Mbs up which is just terrible and renders it useless as even most webpages take too long to load.

The 5Gb limit is enforced with absolutely absurd rip off rates. Fall asleep at the switch and just leaving it on overnight might run up a bill in the thousands of dollars. It is no where near VZW's cost, so they are basically gouging their customers.

Comments:

Review by only1lala See Profile

• Location: Axton,Henry,VA
Good "Better than dial up sometimes"
Bad "Not reliable. Speed fluctuates."
Overall "I do not think it is worth the money. I preferred HughesNet satellite."

I have spent way too much money trying to get Verizon Wireless Broadband to work the way it is supposed to. Speed test this morning at 7:00 a.m. EST showed Ping 163, DL 0.55 Mb/s, UL 0.25 Mb/s. Seriously give me a break here. I have antennas and boosters and a mini tower to get the antenna up in the "sky" and this is all I get. I truly preferred HughesNet to this very unreliable service.

Comments:

Review by JonBoySC See Profile

• Location: Pickens,Pickens,SC
Good "At least we have 3G coverage here"
Bad "Slow; 5gig cap; Too much money for the speed"
Overall "Only option here; I would much rather pay AT&T 20 for the same speed; Get something else if possible"

Update- This has long since been cancelled. Had it cancelled when U-verse was installed.

59.99 for around 500k/100k is ridiculous. Alas, 15 for dial-up is a worse deal. In today's world and web applications dial-up is just not an option, so I'll continue to take it from Verizon until AT&T offers me Uverse. Expensive for the bandwidth, and be sure to read the small print as there is a 5 gigabyte cap for "Unlimited" wireless broadband. The FCC shouldn't even allow Verizon to advertise "Unlimited" for a service that is severely limited. Stay away if you are using at a fixed location. Good for people who are on the road and are needing a faster speed where ever they are traveling.