Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by cbradioman See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Calhoun,AL
Bad "Speed is now terrible....."
Overall "If this is all you can get, then it will work, but I dont recommend it at all."

I have had this for over 4 years now and when I first got it, it was excellent. Now the service most of the time is worse than dial up, if it even loads the page. So bottom line is if you can get anything else DONT get Verizon Broadband. My cell phone coverage has decreased also. With several calls to verizon they always tell me its the terrian. The real problem is they are very overloaded here and cant keep up with the demand.

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/1393300···G][/URL]

Comments:

Review by Rockin4D See Profile

• Location: Beggs,Okmulgee,OK
Good "I can at least play some popular games."
Bad "Impossible to download large updates. Your TCP instance will get snipped if on too long. Chat programs unstable connection"
Overall "pretty much all i can get. Big companies have all but abandoned rural areas. (we are have nots) Would love good cable or dsl"

Its not DSL but for what i can do i'm happy with what i've seen so far.
Purchased Verizon wireless MiFi2200
Got the highest plan possible (has 5 gig cap)
Still have to go into town for major operating system updates
and especially game or other huge software upgrades. If one is not careful
you can suck up the 5 gigs way fast before the 30 day window is up.
I just started with the service today and am counting numbers and usage.
I just need to keep it under an average of 170 mbytes a day.
The lower rating for value for money i think is accurate. Its expensive
and makes me jealous that folks with dsl or cable can download way beyond
gigs a month for 1/3 the service cost. Overall.... i'm back online and happy.
WoW plays nicely.
Been a long 18 month wait.

Updates as time goes on.

may 26th 2010
The service is beginning to demonstrate that it uses/depends on software
traffic control. I 've noticed many times i get knocked down from higher speeds
to about 14k per second (128K connection) This has been happening
alot more often as the months have gone on. Normally i wouldn't mind this but
i've also noticed alot of service hiccups where i get disconnected
about 5 to 10 times in an hours time. My chat programs suffer the worst of this.
Many times i've been logged off and didn't even know it and lost about 5 lines of text i typed
and uploaded. Hopefully this improves as 4G begins rolling out across the country.
If verizon simply left me capped at 128K connection speed without the hiccups i would not complain.
my two changes to the ratings drop service to a 3 and connection reliability to a 3 from higher numbers because of my recent experiences. Verizon improve on these please.

Update April 1, 2011
I've since upgraded to the 10 gig plan hoping for a less cramped experience.
its a bit more tolerable. Can still Play WoW and Eve Online plus a few other games.
Major downside on getting updates that wont resume. If you have a large download to complete i suggest that you pack up your whole computer and drive to town and use a friends cable or DSL connection. This service has some unwritten fair access policy rules that will slow your connection down to 14k bytes a second from the ranging 100 to 220k a second and once it happens it will not speed up again unless you restart the Mifi or stop the download. Very irritating if you have a large download to complete. I wasted over an hour downloading an Iphone update using this device. After roughly that time if you've not finished your download Verizon says your done. Thats it no resume. I fired off a complaint via email demanding this wasted data download not go towards my monthly limit but i'm sure it will fall on deaf ears. I'm on a mac pro 64 bit system using AdiumX multi client chat program, and also have the regular versions of other chat programs installed. Using the mifi wirelessly (which is the only way i can use it since its not compatable with 64 bit OSX) i've experienced utter unreliable connections to my chat programs. Every few minutes i get constant disconnects and worst of all i dont know i'm disconnected. Messages are constantly lost incoming and outgoing.

Given these latest experiences i have dropped service and connection reliability to 2's from 3's. Verizon needs to let users use their data bucket as they see fit without TCP cut offs or slowdowns.

Update July 11, 2011
Tech support has improved for me as i call them quite alot to complain of connection and contuinity of connection issues. Still unable to do a full download update on my iphone unless i save the data as a file instead of direct update.
The download will usually begin slowing after 300 or so megs and i'm fully cut off
right at the 500 meg mark. If unable to resume a download you lost it all.

The Mifi style devices such as the 2020, 5 spot, and samsung 4g device are overall unreliable if you intend to use them as a full time modem all day for long periods of time like internet should be used. I've exchanged the mifi 2020 twice, been through one 5 spot, and on my 3rd samsung device now already. Batteries
tend to get hot when your surfing or gaming for long periods (because i leave it plugged in to avoid getting disconnected when it goes dead) Verizon could really do alot better.

Began noticing that while on youtube or any streaming video sites i get smacked back to slower speeds quite frequently. This is very frustrating. Apparently the customer base is getting crowded now and i expect to see alot more of this network behavior in the future. Still wishing and wishing and waiting for a wired internet solution to come to my home.

Comments:

Review by padre44 See Profile

• Location: Powhatan,Powhatan,VA
Good "Good backup"
Bad "No 4G here yet"
Overall "Better than nothing"

Got a MiFi from Verizon to use primarily while traveling in our motor home. Verizon is available most everywhere and the service is better than the available free wifi in many RV parks. Of course it is not like our Comcast cable at home, but the Comcast cable seems to go out at times so I use the MiFi as a backup. I have the 5 gig a month for $50. I'm told that is plenty unless you stream video or download large amounts of music. We'll see. 2 laptops share the connection. Two desktops on another floor have trouble getting on it, so signal must not travel as far as the wireless router we have. If they did I'd consider dropping Comcast - it is getting more unreliable. As with other Verizon services, you hope you don't need tech support because it is a pain.

member for 14.7 years, 1313 visits, last login: 2.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by Rockin4D See Profile

• Location: Beggs,Okmulgee,OK
Good "seems to be fast when it does stay connected"
Bad "Constant disconnects Very poor battery life."
Overall "Verizon please sell devices that do one simple thing WORK RIGHT"

I joined Verizon wireless back in Jan of 2010. Started with the Mifi 2200 and complained of being constantly disconnected when i had multi chat clients connected. Was recently swapped out for a 3g 5 spot. Same results unreliable connections. Ultimately Verizon allowed me to try the Samsung 4G LTE card. That piece of plastic so far is the worst of the 3. Starting the device takes about 3 tries to get the right amount of lights lit up to connect my computer wirelessly. About every 5 to 20 minutes the blue router light turns green and dumps my computer from the local area network and thus to the internet. Takes about 20 tries of restarting and password entries over and over and i finally get back on the net. This vastly irritating behavior by a device is simply unacceptable. For years DSL modems just work dialup modems just work routers work. Wifi devices do not. I've been waiting for decent wired internet to come to my home so i dont have to write crappy reviews of all the services i'm trying out of desperation. While i wrote this i was disconnected and had to run the constant relogs to get back in. .

Comments:

Review by bacchus101 See Profile

• Location: Portland,Cumberland,ME
Good "Faster than Satellite with better responsiveness."
Bad "Data cap. Overage charges are ridiculously expensive."
Overall "If you are like me and don't have DSL/Cable/Fixed Wireless as an option, this will suffice."

I purchased a Samsung 4G LTE hotspot (but can only connect via 3G from my location.)

I have great signal strength (usually around an 81 in the web interface) and see download speeds approaching 1.7MB/s and upload speeds near 900KB/s.

Overall, it is a good service when there are no other options (besides satellite/dialup.) It is expensive, but I need near broadband internet speed and thus am willing to pay the $80 a month (10GB cap) plus overage ($10 per GB.)

My connection has been reliable (except for the entire day when the Verizon network went down this week.)

I'd recommend this service for business use, but it is not a replacement for "real" internet in that the cap is so low, you can eat your entire daily allowance in mere minutes...

Comments:

Review by lordpuffer See Profile

• Location: Rio Rancho,Sandoval,NM
Good "Great Signal Where I Live!"
Bad "Phone Has Been Giving Me Some Problems"
Overall "Good Service, But Problems With My Droid Pro"

·CableOne
I had the iPhone with AT&T. I had pretty good service where I live. However, I got tired of the iPhone (which I do pretty quickly with a cell phone), and wanted to get the Droid Pro with Verizon. I liked it for it had the Blackberry type keyboard, and one of the latest Android OS's.

Well, I'm on my third Droid Pro. The first one just didn't work properly. The second one would re-boot by itself constantly. The third one was working fine, now it is starting to re-boot by itself. I can say though, that the Network is good, and I haven't dropped a call yet.

If the Droid Pro continues to re-boot by itself, I'm going to try to talk to Verizon to get the HTC Thunderbolt (when it comes out), at the new customer price. Whether or not they will let me, I'll have to see.

UPDATE: 3/17/11 I exchanged my defective Droid Pro for another new one. The Verizon store Manager was very understanding. I also purchased an extended battery. Now, this fourth one works fine.

UPDATE 3/25/11 After my 5th Droid Pro started re-booting by itself, VZ sold me the HTC Thunderbolt at a new customer price. Certain things didn't work properly on it (Tier 2 Tech Support told me it was defective, and to exchange it at a VZ store), the store would not exchange it, so I returned it and canceled my service.

member for 10.2 years, 3344 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by oneacn See Profile

• Location: Polk City,Polk,FL
Good "Pricing"
Bad "Verizon Customer Service Lies"

·T-Mobile US
Note:

This post will be posted in several areas of the internet to expose Verizon Wireless as a company that does not wish to play fair with their customers and is out to get money from every aspect possible and will even risk customer cancellation to get this job done.

World Of Warcraft in their attempts to fight account theft have implemented new security measures which effect verizon wireless customers without a static ip. Due to the nature of verizon's ip system bouncing from city to city to city users of the popular World Of Warcraft game who do not have a static ip address or an ip address that originates out of the same city every time will have to either A. Call Blizzard Daily to get their account unlocked or B. Purchase A Static IP address for the one time cost of $500.00 and they guarantee that you will never have this problem.

Due to the nature of this issue Verizon Wireless stands to lose a lot of money from customers who use Verizon Mobile Broadband as a way of connecting to World Of Warcraft and other blizzard games.

What do we as customers think about this.. I am actually on the phone right now with Verizon Wireless to cancel my service because I will find another company that will work with me to accomplish what I am looking to do.

Any other suggestions

Ken

you may e mail me at wings.tigers.wolverines at gmail.com it forwards to my PDA

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.5.4
click START to begin

** Starting test 1 of 1 **
Connected to: speedtest.umflint.edu -- Using IPv4 address
Another client is currently being served, your test will begin within 45 seconds
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
checking for firewalls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 360.0kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 1.67Mb/s
Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

Comments:

Review by jdbob See Profile

• Location: John Day,Grant,OR
Good "Faster than our local DSL"
Bad "Cost"
Overall "Just glad it's available"

Update 22 Sept. 2010:

I noticed that a download was going faster than I had expected the other day so I tried a new speedtest. New test showed a ping of 111 ms, download of 2.16 Mbps, and an upload of 0.63 Mbps. Quite an improvement from the 1 Mbps download speed before. I'm using a UM175 modem and CTR-350 wireless router.

Original:

The only option to dial-up here until 6 months ago was satellite. I had been using Tachyon commercial satellite since moving here in 2003, but it was slow (128K/64K) and it was limited to 1.5GB per month.

A few months ago our local telephone company (CenturyLink) started offering "Extended Internet" which is a euphemism for "we're too cheap to install a remote terminal" which is 256K/128K. The only good thing about it is the lower ping time and the ability to run servers without violating their T.O.S.

Tachyon's change in satellite later this month (and the old age of the equipment, originally purchased in 2000 for use in New Mexico) prompted me to look into Verizon.

I generally get around 800K-1000K down and 200-300K up so it's quite a bit faster than the third-world DSL service. I've reconfigured the internal network to use DSL for the servers, Verizon for general browsing and email, and to dump the satellite.

Since there has already been a 66 hour DSL outage I don't feel comfortable making it my only internet connection, so having two connections provides more reliability.

Comments:

Review by sswheeler06 See Profile

• Location: Carlisle,Warren,IA
Good "Free hardware"
Bad "Connection drops, price and caps"
Overall "It will do for now."

I live in the country and this is sorta the best thing now. I get decent speeds, seem to be better than satellite, but I do have a lot of drops. I am past my 2 year contract and I really don't want to get new hardware and sign a new one. I am a little curious to see how WildBlue will do when the new sat is launched and see if they can compete with DSL and so forth. that is what their claim is. So we will see.

Comments:

Review by reddog4321 See Profile

• Location: Olney,Montgomery,MD
Good "You can get fast internet access from the road"
Bad "Gouge rates for going over 5Gb. Get very slow connections at times, including when in a high speed network area!"
Overall "Its probbaly the most available service but be careful you are not gouged going over 5Gb"

This service will keep you connected. When it works well you get very fast service. Not DSL fast but good enough. However I find myself in areas, where the EVDO network is available but get horrible connection speed. For examplem, Internet Speed Test any where from 250ms to 750ms. .57Mbs down and .11Mbs up which is just terrible and renders it useless as even most webpages take too long to load.

The 5Gb limit is enforced with absolutely absurd rip off rates. Fall asleep at the switch and just leaving it on overnight might run up a bill in the thousands of dollars. It is no where near VZW's cost, so they are basically gouging their customers.