Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by padre44 See Profile

• Location: Powhatan,Powhatan,VA
Good "Good backup"
Bad "No 4G here yet"
Overall "Better than nothing"

Got a MiFi from Verizon to use primarily while traveling in our motor home. Verizon is available most everywhere and the service is better than the available free wifi in many RV parks. Of course it is not like our Comcast cable at home, but the Comcast cable seems to go out at times so I use the MiFi as a backup. I have the 5 gig a month for $50. I'm told that is plenty unless you stream video or download large amounts of music. We'll see. 2 laptops share the connection. Two desktops on another floor have trouble getting on it, so signal must not travel as far as the wireless router we have. If they did I'd consider dropping Comcast - it is getting more unreliable. As with other Verizon services, you hope you don't need tech support because it is a pain.

member for 14.6 years, 1313 visits, last login: 2.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by Rockin4D See Profile

• Location: Beggs,Okmulgee,OK
Good "seems to be fast when it does stay connected"
Bad "Constant disconnects Very poor battery life."
Overall "Verizon please sell devices that do one simple thing WORK RIGHT"

I joined Verizon wireless back in Jan of 2010. Started with the Mifi 2200 and complained of being constantly disconnected when i had multi chat clients connected. Was recently swapped out for a 3g 5 spot. Same results unreliable connections. Ultimately Verizon allowed me to try the Samsung 4G LTE card. That piece of plastic so far is the worst of the 3. Starting the device takes about 3 tries to get the right amount of lights lit up to connect my computer wirelessly. About every 5 to 20 minutes the blue router light turns green and dumps my computer from the local area network and thus to the internet. Takes about 20 tries of restarting and password entries over and over and i finally get back on the net. This vastly irritating behavior by a device is simply unacceptable. For years DSL modems just work dialup modems just work routers work. Wifi devices do not. I've been waiting for decent wired internet to come to my home so i dont have to write crappy reviews of all the services i'm trying out of desperation. While i wrote this i was disconnected and had to run the constant relogs to get back in. .

member for 7 years, 314 visits, last login: 2 years ago

Comments:

Review by bacchus101 See Profile

• Location: Portland,Cumberland,ME
Good "Faster than Satellite with better responsiveness."
Bad "Data cap. Overage charges are ridiculously expensive."
Overall "If you are like me and don't have DSL/Cable/Fixed Wireless as an option, this will suffice."

I purchased a Samsung 4G LTE hotspot (but can only connect via 3G from my location.)

I have great signal strength (usually around an 81 in the web interface) and see download speeds approaching 1.7MB/s and upload speeds near 900KB/s.

Overall, it is a good service when there are no other options (besides satellite/dialup.) It is expensive, but I need near broadband internet speed and thus am willing to pay the $80 a month (10GB cap) plus overage ($10 per GB.)

My connection has been reliable (except for the entire day when the Verizon network went down this week.)

I'd recommend this service for business use, but it is not a replacement for "real" internet in that the cap is so low, you can eat your entire daily allowance in mere minutes...

member for 7.7 years, 250 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by lordpuffer See Profile

• Location: Rio Rancho,Sandoval,NM
Good "Great Signal Where I Live!"
Bad "Phone Has Been Giving Me Some Problems"
Overall "Good Service, But Problems With My Droid Pro"

·CableOne
I had the iPhone with AT&T. I had pretty good service where I live. However, I got tired of the iPhone (which I do pretty quickly with a cell phone), and wanted to get the Droid Pro with Verizon. I liked it for it had the Blackberry type keyboard, and one of the latest Android OS's.

Well, I'm on my third Droid Pro. The first one just didn't work properly. The second one would re-boot by itself constantly. The third one was working fine, now it is starting to re-boot by itself. I can say though, that the Network is good, and I haven't dropped a call yet.

If the Droid Pro continues to re-boot by itself, I'm going to try to talk to Verizon to get the HTC Thunderbolt (when it comes out), at the new customer price. Whether or not they will let me, I'll have to see.

UPDATE: 3/17/11 I exchanged my defective Droid Pro for another new one. The Verizon store Manager was very understanding. I also purchased an extended battery. Now, this fourth one works fine.

UPDATE 3/25/11 After my 5th Droid Pro started re-booting by itself, VZ sold me the HTC Thunderbolt at a new customer price. Certain things didn't work properly on it (Tier 2 Tech Support told me it was defective, and to exchange it at a VZ store), the store would not exchange it, so I returned it and canceled my service.

member for 10.1 years, 3260 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by oneacn See Profile

• Location: Polk City,Polk,FL
Good "Pricing"
Bad "Verizon Customer Service Lies"

·T-Mobile US
Note:

This post will be posted in several areas of the internet to expose Verizon Wireless as a company that does not wish to play fair with their customers and is out to get money from every aspect possible and will even risk customer cancellation to get this job done.

World Of Warcraft in their attempts to fight account theft have implemented new security measures which effect verizon wireless customers without a static ip. Due to the nature of verizon's ip system bouncing from city to city to city users of the popular World Of Warcraft game who do not have a static ip address or an ip address that originates out of the same city every time will have to either A. Call Blizzard Daily to get their account unlocked or B. Purchase A Static IP address for the one time cost of $500.00 and they guarantee that you will never have this problem.

Due to the nature of this issue Verizon Wireless stands to lose a lot of money from customers who use Verizon Mobile Broadband as a way of connecting to World Of Warcraft and other blizzard games.

What do we as customers think about this.. I am actually on the phone right now with Verizon Wireless to cancel my service because I will find another company that will work with me to accomplish what I am looking to do.

Any other suggestions

Ken

you may e mail me at wings.tigers.wolverines at gmail.com it forwards to my PDA

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.5.4
click START to begin

** Starting test 1 of 1 **
Connected to: speedtest.umflint.edu -- Using IPv4 address
Another client is currently being served, your test will begin within 45 seconds
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
checking for firewalls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 360.0kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 1.67Mb/s
Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

Comments:

Review by jdbob See Profile

• Location: John Day,Grant,OR
Good "Faster than our local DSL"
Bad "Cost"
Overall "Just glad it's available"

Update 22 Sept. 2010:

I noticed that a download was going faster than I had expected the other day so I tried a new speedtest. New test showed a ping of 111 ms, download of 2.16 Mbps, and an upload of 0.63 Mbps. Quite an improvement from the 1 Mbps download speed before. I'm using a UM175 modem and CTR-350 wireless router.

Original:

The only option to dial-up here until 6 months ago was satellite. I had been using Tachyon commercial satellite since moving here in 2003, but it was slow (128K/64K) and it was limited to 1.5GB per month.

A few months ago our local telephone company (CenturyLink) started offering "Extended Internet" which is a euphemism for "we're too cheap to install a remote terminal" which is 256K/128K. The only good thing about it is the lower ping time and the ability to run servers without violating their T.O.S.

Tachyon's change in satellite later this month (and the old age of the equipment, originally purchased in 2000 for use in New Mexico) prompted me to look into Verizon.

I generally get around 800K-1000K down and 200-300K up so it's quite a bit faster than the third-world DSL service. I've reconfigured the internal network to use DSL for the servers, Verizon for general browsing and email, and to dump the satellite.

Since there has already been a 66 hour DSL outage I don't feel comfortable making it my only internet connection, so having two connections provides more reliability.

Comments:

Review by sswheeler06 See Profile

• Location: Carlisle,Warren,IA
Good "Free hardware"
Bad "Connection drops, price and caps"
Overall "It will do for now."

I live in the country and this is sorta the best thing now. I get decent speeds, seem to be better than satellite, but I do have a lot of drops. I am past my 2 year contract and I really don't want to get new hardware and sign a new one. I am a little curious to see how WildBlue will do when the new sat is launched and see if they can compete with DSL and so forth. that is what their claim is. So we will see.

Comments:

Review by reddog4321 See Profile

• Location: Olney,Montgomery,MD
Good "You can get fast internet access from the road"
Bad "Gouge rates for going over 5Gb. Get very slow connections at times, including when in a high speed network area!"
Overall "Its probbaly the most available service but be careful you are not gouged going over 5Gb"

This service will keep you connected. When it works well you get very fast service. Not DSL fast but good enough. However I find myself in areas, where the EVDO network is available but get horrible connection speed. For examplem, Internet Speed Test any where from 250ms to 750ms. .57Mbs down and .11Mbs up which is just terrible and renders it useless as even most webpages take too long to load.

The 5Gb limit is enforced with absolutely absurd rip off rates. Fall asleep at the switch and just leaving it on overnight might run up a bill in the thousands of dollars. It is no where near VZW's cost, so they are basically gouging their customers.

Comments:

Review by only1lala See Profile

• Location: Axton,Henry,VA
Good "Better than dial up sometimes"
Bad "Not reliable. Speed fluctuates."
Overall "I do not think it is worth the money. I preferred HughesNet satellite."

I have spent way too much money trying to get Verizon Wireless Broadband to work the way it is supposed to. Speed test this morning at 7:00 a.m. EST showed Ping 163, DL 0.55 Mb/s, UL 0.25 Mb/s. Seriously give me a break here. I have antennas and boosters and a mini tower to get the antenna up in the "sky" and this is all I get. I truly preferred HughesNet to this very unreliable service.

Comments:

Review by JonBoySC See Profile

• Location: Pickens,Pickens,SC
Good "At least we have 3G coverage here"
Bad "Slow; 5gig cap; Too much money for the speed"
Overall "Only option here; I would much rather pay AT&T 20 for the same speed; Get something else if possible"

Update- This has long since been cancelled. Had it cancelled when U-verse was installed.

59.99 for around 500k/100k is ridiculous. Alas, 15 for dial-up is a worse deal. In today's world and web applications dial-up is just not an option, so I'll continue to take it from Verizon until AT&T offers me Uverse. Expensive for the bandwidth, and be sure to read the small print as there is a 5 gigabyte cap for "Unlimited" wireless broadband. The FCC shouldn't even allow Verizon to advertise "Unlimited" for a service that is severely limited. Stay away if you are using at a fixed location. Good for people who are on the road and are needing a faster speed where ever they are traveling.