Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by mrbrown23 See Profile

• Location: Paris,Lamar,TX
Good "works better when your in evdo range."
Bad "just as slow as dial up if not in evdo range."
Overall "don't waste your money if you don't have evdo service."

When I originally purchased this from alltel they had an agreement with sprint that they could use their 3g towers. Now that verizon purcahsed alltel sprint kick them off and it is not worth 20 a month. IMO This is in Paris Texas when you see verizons commercials and you see the the little white spot along the Oklahoma and N.E. Texas border thats us.

Comments:

Review by abotnick See Profile

• Location: Raleigh,Wake,NC
Good "Nice signs in store, courteous occasionally hot salespeople"
Bad "overpriced, connection delay accessing sites, 5 g/month limit, clueless customer service"
Overall "Avoid this service"

Technically I have an Alltell HTC Diamond Pro PDA with probably the best plan available and unlimited internet usage, $10 tethering. Alltel merged with Verizon several months ago. Immediately after the merger a connection lag was introduced that gives a 10 second delay accessing websites before every connection. Verizon also has poor planning. A few days after the merger their entire network was down for hours in the afternoon. Another problem is when I get a network unavailable message on my cell phone and I lose the connection. I think Verizon introduced the lag to intentionally get customers to switch to their Verizon phones and plans because the Verizon phones don't have the lag. Anyway, Verizon's plans are more expensive now with tethering being $30. Speed is good, around 1.5 g/s. However Verizon's 5 gig limit is way too small to use this as a primary internet connection yet I have to pay a tethering fee? Ridiculous. Exceed the limit and you're paying enormous overcharges. The service is very overpriced for 5 gig and I don't recommend it. Technical service is terrible concerning the lag, they say they are aware of it but won't/can't fix it. Sprint has better data service, is cheaper and should be picked before Verizon. I'm getting rid of them as soon as my contract is up. I have used the Verizon wireless cards and they have a slow connection time and are nothing to brag about.

Comments:

Review by Earl_Wallace See Profile

• Location: Peyton,El Paso,CO
Good "Can take the UM150 with you on trips"
Bad "The latency and bandwidth are horrible"
Overall "Avoid if possible."

Since I couldn't get anything else, I went with the Verizon Mobile Broadband service awhile back. I'm out here in Peyton, Colorado (25 miles northeast of Colorado Springs). When I first signed up for the service, I was getting downloads in the 1,900 to 2,200 kbps range. For the last few months, it's been more like 400-800 kbps at best. Sometimes it's as low as 176 kbps download and 70 kbps upload. I have always used an ampilifer and external antenna pointed at the Calhan Tower with the signal at -51 dbm (100% signal on the Cradlepoint MBR-1000 router).

It's getting so bad these days that I see ping times of over 3500 ms almost daily. I have tried in vain to get VoiP working, but it's hopeless because of the wild ping swings. You can tell this tower is getting overloaded, but Verizon keeps telling me the tower is fine. So I guess Verizon has decided it is not going to spend any more money in the Eastern Plains of Colorado, and you can just plan on the tower getting worst over time.

I personally can not recommend Verizon Mobile Broadband in this area any longer.

UPDATE (Oct 10, 2009): Verizon Wireless Broadband out here in Peyton is so bad that I'm about to drop it and go back to using a modem. If this $60 service was only $10 a month, it might be worth the hassle, but really, 4000 ms ping times? Give me a break.

Comments:

Review by Hazy Arc See Profile

• Location: Greenwood,Greenwood,SC
Good "Gives quasi-broadband speeds on the go"
Bad "Quite pricey, fairly slow speeds, high latency"
Overall "Better than satellite if you have no access to broadband"

·Embarq Now Centu..
Prior to Embarq bringing DSL to my remote location, I used Verizon's USB modem to connect to the internet. Luckily I didn't have to pay for it...my employer foot the bill. Good thing too...no way I would've shelled out 70 bucks a month for this. The 24 month contract was as laughable as the monthly price. Then again, if you are without broadband, it is a better choice than satellite (as long as you have a decent cell signal and have access to EVDO).

Speaking of which, my area (luckily) had EVDO Rev A, so speeds were decent (1.5mbps or so). Latency was rough (150-200ms), but much better than satellite. I was able to connect to Xbox Live successfully through my PC's internet connection sharing feature, but the latency made gameplay a little difficult.

The 5GB caps are a joke...one ISO or a few heavy YouTube sessions and you're done. Verizon needs to take care of this, especially since many people use these cards as their primary internet connection.

Comments:

Review by screavic4 See Profile

• Location: Paron,Saline,AR
Good "Faster than dialup at times"
Bad "Disconnects, Latency spikes"
Overall "Not worth the time / money I have put into the service now"

You can't do hardly anything besides do basic web browsing on this piece of crap. Contacting support as many "alltel" refugee's have found out is worthless.

I don't play on xbox live anymore because their connection latency is so skiddish. I DO try to use it to download new content to get more out of the game but that doesn't even happen anymore. Everytime I connect to Xbox live this service disconnects me.

I dislike this company, they ruined a decent company's network. At least with Alltel after I got my connection fine tuned it would stay connected more.

9/16/09
As the 2nd commenter said about my review, I don't have any other options at this time. As soon as I get another option that will work (satellite not an option, T1 too expensive) I am going to give them a shot and give them a fair chance just as I am doing Verizon.

Also on another note: I have talked to a Verizon rep that agreed with Alltel on the part of me being in the "fringe" of service and that is where the majority of my problems come from. Weekends I don't even try to use the net cause it don't work the majority of the time.

Comments:

Review by Tubisten See Profile

• Location: Farmersville,Collin,TX
Bad "Download speed"
Overall "Not reliable"

It works great when it works, but the connection is not always the Broadband (Rev-A), antenna signal varies from -90dbm to -106dbm. Just not strong enough. Speed is hit and miss, sometimes lower than dialup. I am returning it within the 30 day trial period.

Comments:

Review by pistachionut See Profile

• Location: Waverly,Wood,WV
Good "Latency, Consistent Speed, Convienience"
Bad "Price vs. Speed, Data Caps worse than Satellite"
Overall "Reliable but not worth price,caps,2yr contract"

·HughesNet Satell..
UPDATE: 9-6-09

-Ended up taking the mifi device back and canceling the service (you get 30 days to test it). While the pings were much better than satellite and speeds more consistent, I couldnt justify the startup costs and getting locked into another 2yr contract.

-Also the data cap is horrendous. All these companies tout that "rarely does the normal user go over 5GB in a month". Not sure who they consider a "normal" user, but 5GB is way too low for $67 a month AND a two year contract AND startup costs exceeding $100. This is not the year 2000, and their spin doctors are doing a poor job convincing all of us 5GB is reasonable. After about a week of testing I could tell that it was going to be way too low, especially if you have multiple computers in a household utilizing the connection.

-Oh yeah, their rep on the phone said they do have a 10GB plan, FOR $199 A MONTH?! Give me a break. And if you go over their cap they charge by the MEGABYTE. And it isnt cheap. At least HughesNet has a 5 hour free window each day you can use for updates and large downloads, Wildblue has a rolling 30 day period but has more generous caps based on the plan you get, and Starband has a 7 day rolling period.

-Anyways, seems Ill be with satellite indefinitely at this point.

------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL REVIEW BELOW

------------------------------------------

-CONS-

Cost: Too expensive, cell companies continue to gouge customers on pricing.

Caps: Why? How is 5 GB chosen? It seems like nothing more than a random number, though Im certain they use some quasi formula to determine that 5 is the magic number to keep bandwith issues to a minimum or force overages for the ridiculous costs, but in todays market 5GB is paltry and pathetic, especially for $65.00+ a month. Honestly their caps are even worse than satellites.

Contract: Still requires a 2yr contract unless you want to pay full price for the device (200+ dollars)

-PROS- (*I am within an EVDO footprint with Rev.A so keep that in mind*)

Speeds: More consistent than satellite, averaging 500k to 1M+ down, 200k-500k up, and pings at 100-200ms. Compare this to satellite which would have wild flucuations and pings 1000-2000ms.

Equipment: Took maybe 10 minutes to get online, and with their new MiFi device allowing up to 5 wireless connections, you dont have to buy those overpriced routers designed for wirless internet cards anymore.

As I stated earlier, this is a 24 hour first impression review. Ill update a couple weeks from now to see if anything has changed. So far my sticking point is going to be the 5GB cap, I will average my weekly usage to see if it is realistic, especially since updates to windows, etc can almost reach gigabyte levels at times. Other than the cap, if you are within the Rev.A footprint for wireless internet I would say it soundly defeats satellite (as far as service quality goes).

Comments:

Review by cameronsfx See Profile

• Location: Pensacola,Escambia,FL
Good "Is there any unless you have FIOS?"
Bad "It's Verizon Wireless that Ruined Alltel's Superior Network!!"
Overall "Ruined Alltel's Superior Network!"

Was a 5 year customer of Alltel. Now, with Verizon's takeover completed, customer service, unless you get a former Alltel rep, TOTALLY SUCKS! They can't read a bill, supervisors never call back, and they just plain suck.

Alltel tethered at 300 down/100 up. No caps. VZ is like dialup. Latency is like 200-300ms on VZ. It was like 50ms on Alltel.

WHY IN THE BLUE HELL DID ALLTEL SELLOUT TO THESE LOSERS? EVEN ALLTEL REPS ARE LIKE, "YEAH, I KNOW THEY SUCK!"

I cancelled them since no contract. I am not dealing with VZ wireless or Satan or AT&T. I'd rather live in a bus down by the river than deal with VZ Wireless's incompetence. Go on YouTube and search "Verizon Wireless Sucks" and laugh you rearend off.

Alltel would get all 5s. VZ would get 0 if possible. They SUCK!

Comments:

Review by YellowSnow See Profile

• Location: Temecula,Riverside,CA
Good "You get internet were dsl and other services arent avaliable"
Bad "Crappy connectivity and a very low 5 gb cap wich you will definatly go overin 1 month."
Overall "Dont be a sucker and pay 65 bucks a month for a 5 gb limit (which once reached speeds are reduced to less than dial up)"

I am a big gamer wheather it be xbox or pc i play just about anything... If your looking to to have an extremely high ping and a 3 secound latency then this is for you... Bassicaly this is their only plan and ill just say it, "verizon broadband sucks"

Their 5 gb cap is just an excuse to upgrade their hardware. There service can even be compared to dial-up.

If verizon broadband was smart they would up their hardware and beat out their compitition whome all have the gay 5 gb cap. (just my opinion though)

Comments:

Review by stenman See Profile

• Location: Salinas,Monterey,CA
Good "great for travel in urban areas of US"
Bad "slow speed, 5GB monthly data cap with $50/GB surcharge if exceeded"
Overall "not a good choice for reliable internet access or speed"

I have been using HughesNet satellite "service" for the past 7 years and hoped to switch over to EV-DO wireless broadband. I found that I had excellent signal strength at my home and signed up for service on July 25th. Nearly 2 months later I do not have service and can connect only when I drive into town.

My nearest tower has had technical problems for the past 6 weeks and Verizon will generate a trouble ticket and then close it without resolving the matter or even bothering to send a technician out to check the tower. With only one tower to access I am totally at the mercy of Verizon's business practices which do not include providing timely technical support or repairs to problem towers.

The 5GB data limit per month is also not overly generous, especially when compared to the 350GB cap by Comcast.

Good for traveling and having Internet connectivity where you can leave a dead area and go to another or if one tower is down you may have access to a second tower. Otherwise it is not a reliable technology and Verizon makes the matter even worse with its dismal customer support practices.

Although I spent over $700 for an external antenna, mast, roof mount, cable, and amplifier, and get excellent signal strength of -72db t -79, my download performance from my local tower is usually worse than dial-up with speeds averaging under 16Kbps over the past month. With EVDO you are a prisoner of the performance of your nearest tower. If you live near an upgraded tower you may get great performance but according to Verizon network support personnel my local tower is not slated for upgrade for at least another months at the earliest.

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/4781200···G][/URL]