Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by cfordtx See Profile

• Location: Fort Stockton,Pecos,TX
Good "Great if you live in a rural area with limited choices"
Bad "My connection speeds are MUCH slower than advertised. The connection is hard to configure"
Overall "The connection is reliable but I am disappointed with the speed."

I am not particularly happy with Verizon (Alltel). I am using the Huawei EC168 modem. I have had to reinstall the modem twice in the last week and every time I did it, it installed differently than the time before. Now I have it installed properly (I think) but I am experiencing far slower speeds than the advertised 3.5mbps. In fact, it has speeds comparable to the old ISDN service. I have yet to find any information on how to boost my speeds. No tech support that I can find either.

Comments:

Review by xljk6 See Profile

• Location: Englewood,Arapahoe,CO
Good "better than nothing"
Bad "slow, unreliable"
Overall "get something else"

Chosen by my employer - large company
Sometimes OK connection in the center of the city.
Often says "connected" but does not work - must retry connection multiple times.
Drops connection randomly.
Speed is fair when connection is good (rare), otherwise is like dial-up with bad copper.
Connection quality varies wildly from minute to minute even when sitting still in "good signal" areas.
Have had this service for two years, used two different "modem" cards in three different laptops. Now have a different wireless service that actually works.

Bottom line: sending bits by smoke signal would be more reliable, and usually faster. If you have any other choice, take it.

Comments:

Review by thepcdoc See Profile

• Location: Phenix City,Russell,AL
Good "Freedom to access local MLS services while I'm on the road"
Bad "Cost, download speed has never been full, loss of signal in some parts of AL"
Overall "For use in my business as a Realtor, this is still - even with the problems - a good thing"

Looked at competing services, but didn't see anything exceptional. Chose Verizon for cell phone first over 4 yrs ago, because of excellent service. Assumed (I know) that their Broadband access would be similar. It's not nearly as comprehensive as cell phone service. Many area's of AL & GA have no broadband service at all, especially the area between Montgomery AL & Dothan AL.

I originally purchased an Express PC card modem with my laptop, which never connected at more than 33Kbps! Verizon store swapped out for the USB720, which at least makes the connection. The best download speed attained has been 301Kbps - not what they advertise, but better than nothing. The speed I am paying for is 600Kbps to 1.8Mbps.

For the service received, I believe they should have a tiered pricing system. For what I am getting, it should be no more than $29/month. After all, with these speeds, it would likely take me more than a month to download 5GB. If I didn't need this for real estate work - I would drop their service(?) in a heart beat!

Comments:

Review by waffleburger See Profile

• Location: Blairstown,Warren,NJ
Good "its mobile, available everywhere."
Bad "WAY overpriced, 5GB cap is nothing."
Overall "one of the worst choices you can make."

ive had this service for about 2 years now, and it just keeps getting worse. as more and more people get on the ev-do network, the service is getting continually less reliable and slower.

60$ a month is REEAALLLY bad for it being about 1mbps at the most.

Comments:

Review by squirrel83 See Profile

• Location: Stevensville,Ravalli,MT
Good "Internet Anywhere where Verizon Service INTERNET in Montana"
Bad "slow and not the best"
Overall "Great brodband service for Stevensville, MT"

This box just moved from Florence, MT to Stevensville, MT and they do not have Bresnan internet up here so I have to use Verizon Wireless Broadband.

The service is a little slow but usefull considering the location. I have not truly attempted to try streaming video and radio but it is looking or acting iffy. . .out here I can only get a max of two bars of service. That is a good day.

I am using the USB Internet Card purchased at Bestbuy
The current rate is 5 GB $59.99 a month and $0.25 after that. Last month for just genral internet use I only used 300 meg.

I think to be honest because of the cell tower reception qwest dsl might be the better choice for the location but other than that its niice to have.

You have to think about the location. I am still waiting for the day they put a line from Spokane to Missoula and down the Bitteroot.

Considering I have voice service there are no discounts and no bundles like other services in the area. But soon brenan will be comming soon.

Comments:

Review by phattieg See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Duval,FL
Good "Prepaids only benefit is data price."
Bad "Prepaid service, as well as post paid is very expensive for voice."
Overall "Verizon is a rich mans phone company, and does not give bargains."

I had post paid Verizon service about 3 years ago, and I was paying $79 a month for 450 anytime minutes, 9pm nights and weekends, 300 text messages, and unlimited data. I loved the reliability of the service, but I got so sick of paying the bill. It got to the point where I was occasionally getting overages, and I just had to cancel because it was totally out of hand with the bill. About 4 months ago, my Sprint Motorola Q died, and I needed a temporary phone, so I reactived my VX8300 on prepaid, and used it for a while until I got my new phone. I realized the internet was faster than the free internet my apartment was giving me, much faster. So I figured with no contract, I could afford to lose a little cash if I got kicked off for using it as my 24 hour a day internet connection. I have been online for 4 months with this connection always online, and have not been kicked off. I refill it every 30 days with $30, and I have no problems. I love the speed, and since I am not sending text, or talking on it, I never have a problem with the bill. Thumbs up for this setup, and I do recommend it if you know what you're doing, and you have this phone. If so, ask me how to enable your phone for this wonderful service!

Comments:

Review by Sady See Profile

• Location: Ludlow,Hampden,MA
Good "Reliable"
Bad "speed could be better but serves the purpose."
Overall "Nice"

I must say it is reliable and cheaper than Charter.

member for 13.5 years, 2647 visits, last login: 1.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by clementw See Profile

• Location: Cocoa,Brevard,FL
Good "easey setup"
Bad "monthly cap"
Overall "wast of money, go with one of the other wireless providers"

Tried Verizon(2007) but they dropped me without warning while i was transferring my email off of my home server to Gmail. They just cut it off and dropped a letter in snailmail. It took a couple of phone calls for them to tell me, we're canceling you because you actually use it.

Comments:

Review by flyingroach See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "slightly stronger signal in some areas of NYC and upstate NY"
Bad "Big $, slower then my Sprint treo teathered"

Verizon BlackBerry 8830, usb teather (no Bluetooth DUN? looks like) using Vista Business Not Rev A and it seems slower most times. The Rev A usb modem works faster in my area

Comments:

Review by DonG4 See Profile

• Location: Calhan,El Paso,CO
Good "Easy setup"
Bad "Slow speeds"
Overall "Not worth $90 a month!"

Verizon Wireless UM150 USB modem. The basic service is $59.99 per month, but other charges, taxes, etc. bring the cost for service to between $85 and $90 per month with a two-year contract.

The sales person on the phone told me I should get 800 kbps to 1.4 mbps download speeds. I was really looking forward to this as my present FairPoint DSL service is terrible here, about 50 miles east of Colorado Springs, Colorado.

However, what I actually GET with the Verizon Wireless modem is 200 kbps to 540 kbps. The lower speeds being east coast, and the higher speeds being west coast. Very disappointing.

Sent an e-mail to the sales person and never got a reply. Sent an e-mail to tech support and it took them two days to reply. None of their suggestions helped. So, it looks like I'll be taking them up on their 30-day return policy.