Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by stenman See Profile

• Location: Salinas,Monterey,CA
Good "great for travel in urban areas of US"
Bad "slow speed, 5GB monthly data cap with $50/GB surcharge if exceeded"
Overall "not a good choice for reliable internet access or speed"

I have been using HughesNet satellite "service" for the past 7 years and hoped to switch over to EV-DO wireless broadband. I found that I had excellent signal strength at my home and signed up for service on July 25th. Nearly 2 months later I do not have service and can connect only when I drive into town.

My nearest tower has had technical problems for the past 6 weeks and Verizon will generate a trouble ticket and then close it without resolving the matter or even bothering to send a technician out to check the tower. With only one tower to access I am totally at the mercy of Verizon's business practices which do not include providing timely technical support or repairs to problem towers.

The 5GB data limit per month is also not overly generous, especially when compared to the 350GB cap by Comcast.

Good for traveling and having Internet connectivity where you can leave a dead area and go to another or if one tower is down you may have access to a second tower. Otherwise it is not a reliable technology and Verizon makes the matter even worse with its dismal customer support practices.

Although I spent over $700 for an external antenna, mast, roof mount, cable, and amplifier, and get excellent signal strength of -72db t -79, my download performance from my local tower is usually worse than dial-up with speeds averaging under 16Kbps over the past month. With EVDO you are a prisoner of the performance of your nearest tower. If you live near an upgraded tower you may get great performance but according to Verizon network support personnel my local tower is not slated for upgrade for at least another months at the earliest.

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/4781200···G][/URL]

• Location: Silverado,Orange,CA
Good "It's all I can get, short of Wildblue sat."
Bad "Slow. Expensive."
Overall "Better than dialup, but not much. Only game in town."

Got Verizon broadband b/c no DSL or cable was available at my location.
Didn't want to commit to Wildblue sat internet.
Was able to stand dial up again for about two weeks, then had to get the
cellular broadband.

Got a Verizon USB727 USM modem, with a Cradlepoint router and a big OMNI
antenna to mount on the house.
W/o antenna, got 1 bar or less, and no speed. W/antenna getting 4/5 bars,
and 1X speed. Not sure they offer the faster EVDO in my location. Got moden
at Verizon store, and router and antenna from 3GStore.com.

Seems to be lots of lag (latency?) in system, but much better than dial up.

Latency to server: 152mS

D/L speed to local Los Angeles is 191Kbps

U/L 24Kbps

Better than dial up, but lots of room for improvement.

Cheers.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by sharksfan3 See Profile

• Location: Poughkeepsie,Dutchess,NY
Good "Great for mobile access, large coverage"
Bad "SLOW speeds."
Overall "If you are looking for dialup like mobile access look here."

My work provides me with this VZW card for use with a company issued laptop. It is too slow for anything other than the occasional exchange/vpn access. Its very painful to send email attachments of any size, access webinars, or anything other than browsing basic websites. I usually end up taking my personal AT&T card with me if I need high speed access away from home.

As a quick test with a 1200k flash video stream:
on AT&T 3G it played perfectly.
on VZW EVDO it wouldn't even buffer.
on the free hotel internet it was very choppy.

member for 10.7 years, 3259 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by cfordtx See Profile

• Location: Fort Stockton,Pecos,TX
Good "Great if you live in a rural area with limited choices"
Bad "My connection speeds are MUCH slower than advertised. The connection is hard to configure"
Overall "The connection is reliable but I am disappointed with the speed."

I am not particularly happy with Verizon (Alltel). I am using the Huawei EC168 modem. I have had to reinstall the modem twice in the last week and every time I did it, it installed differently than the time before. Now I have it installed properly (I think) but I am experiencing far slower speeds than the advertised 3.5mbps. In fact, it has speeds comparable to the old ISDN service. I have yet to find any information on how to boost my speeds. No tech support that I can find either.

Comments:

Review by xljk6 See Profile

• Location: Englewood,Arapahoe,CO
Good "better than nothing"
Bad "slow, unreliable"
Overall "get something else"

Chosen by my employer - large company
Sometimes OK connection in the center of the city.
Often says "connected" but does not work - must retry connection multiple times.
Drops connection randomly.
Speed is fair when connection is good (rare), otherwise is like dial-up with bad copper.
Connection quality varies wildly from minute to minute even when sitting still in "good signal" areas.
Have had this service for two years, used two different "modem" cards in three different laptops. Now have a different wireless service that actually works.

Bottom line: sending bits by smoke signal would be more reliable, and usually faster. If you have any other choice, take it.

Comments:

Review by thepcdoc See Profile

• Location: Phenix City,Russell,AL
Good "Freedom to access local MLS services while I'm on the road"
Bad "Cost, download speed has never been full, loss of signal in some parts of AL"
Overall "For use in my business as a Realtor, this is still - even with the problems - a good thing"

Looked at competing services, but didn't see anything exceptional. Chose Verizon for cell phone first over 4 yrs ago, because of excellent service. Assumed (I know) that their Broadband access would be similar. It's not nearly as comprehensive as cell phone service. Many area's of AL & GA have no broadband service at all, especially the area between Montgomery AL & Dothan AL.

I originally purchased an Express PC card modem with my laptop, which never connected at more than 33Kbps! Verizon store swapped out for the USB720, which at least makes the connection. The best download speed attained has been 301Kbps - not what they advertise, but better than nothing. The speed I am paying for is 600Kbps to 1.8Mbps.

For the service received, I believe they should have a tiered pricing system. For what I am getting, it should be no more than $29/month. After all, with these speeds, it would likely take me more than a month to download 5GB. If I didn't need this for real estate work - I would drop their service(?) in a heart beat!

member for 6 years, 0 visits, last login: 6 years ago

Comments:

Review by waffleburger See Profile

• Location: Blairstown,Warren,NJ
Good "its mobile, available everywhere."
Bad "WAY overpriced, 5GB cap is nothing."
Overall "one of the worst choices you can make."

ive had this service for about 2 years now, and it just keeps getting worse. as more and more people get on the ev-do network, the service is getting continually less reliable and slower.

60$ a month is REEAALLLY bad for it being about 1mbps at the most.

Comments:

Review by squirrel83 See Profile

• Location: Stevensville,Ravalli,MT
Good "Internet Anywhere where Verizon Service INTERNET in Montana"
Bad "slow and not the best"
Overall "Great brodband service for Stevensville, MT"

This box just moved from Florence, MT to Stevensville, MT and they do not have Bresnan internet up here so I have to use Verizon Wireless Broadband.

The service is a little slow but usefull considering the location. I have not truly attempted to try streaming video and radio but it is looking or acting iffy. . .out here I can only get a max of two bars of service. That is a good day.

I am using the USB Internet Card purchased at Bestbuy
The current rate is 5 GB $59.99 a month and $0.25 after that. Last month for just genral internet use I only used 300 meg.

I think to be honest because of the cell tower reception qwest dsl might be the better choice for the location but other than that its niice to have.

You have to think about the location. I am still waiting for the day they put a line from Spokane to Missoula and down the Bitteroot.

Considering I have voice service there are no discounts and no bundles like other services in the area. But soon brenan will be comming soon.

Comments:

Review by phattieg See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Duval,FL
Good "Prepaids only benefit is data price."
Bad "Prepaid service, as well as post paid is very expensive for voice."
Overall "Verizon is a rich mans phone company, and does not give bargains."

I had post paid Verizon service about 3 years ago, and I was paying $79 a month for 450 anytime minutes, 9pm nights and weekends, 300 text messages, and unlimited data. I loved the reliability of the service, but I got so sick of paying the bill. It got to the point where I was occasionally getting overages, and I just had to cancel because it was totally out of hand with the bill. About 4 months ago, my Sprint Motorola Q died, and I needed a temporary phone, so I reactived my VX8300 on prepaid, and used it for a while until I got my new phone. I realized the internet was faster than the free internet my apartment was giving me, much faster. So I figured with no contract, I could afford to lose a little cash if I got kicked off for using it as my 24 hour a day internet connection. I have been online for 4 months with this connection always online, and have not been kicked off. I refill it every 30 days with $30, and I have no problems. I love the speed, and since I am not sending text, or talking on it, I never have a problem with the bill. Thumbs up for this setup, and I do recommend it if you know what you're doing, and you have this phone. If so, ask me how to enable your phone for this wonderful service!

Comments:

Review by Sady See Profile

• Location: Ludlow,Hampden,MA
Good "Reliable"
Bad "speed could be better but serves the purpose."
Overall "Nice"

I must say it is reliable and cheaper than Charter.

member for 14.1 years, 2647 visits, last login: 2.1 years ago