Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by Jackarino See Profile

• Location: Allendale,Bergen,NJ
Good "4G LTE, Quality"
Bad "4G in select areas for now"
Overall "Great provider! #1"
(ratings well above consensus)

I am very satisfied with Verizon Wireless. I have had TMoblie, Att, Cingular, Nextel, and Sprint. I have to say, of all of the carriers I've had, this is by far the best. I have a 2 line 700min talk/text plan with a iPhone and a Thunderbolt. 4G LTE is like having a residential tier of internet in your pocket with out any congestion. Even when i'm on 3G its very good. The only downside is that 4G is still fairly new and not available everywhere yet. Call quality is excellent everywhere I go. I am getting a much better deal then i got on ATT. Verizon is the way to go!

member for 7.3 years, 1745 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by quatra See Profile

• Location: Matthews,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Nationwide coverage"
Bad "coverage is not perfect - slow and unreliable in some areas"
Overall "Good 3g wireless but not good enough to give up your cable/dsl landline"

While it mostly gets local use around town I do sometimes take it across country with excellent results. Even driving through the mountains of west virginia it's working 98% of the time. Where I am right now I have 80ms latency which is about as good as it gets. Normally I would expect around 60-200ms latency (wiht a perfect signal) and of course when you are in a bad area 600+ and packet loss is to be expected. If you are unlucky enough to be in a bad spot you are pretty much always within a mile of a spot that you can get enough connection to send/receive email.

BTW - If you haven't had the pleasure of dealing with tech support I have contacted them for several reasons and always get to talk to someone right away.

Comments:

Review by jmdomini See Profile

• Location: Sycamore,Dekalb,IL
Good "Faster and more reliable than Frontier DSL!"
Bad "A bit more expensive then cable, upload speed a little slow."
Overall "Works well and is the best option available in my area at this time."

I live in a rural area that was previously a Verizon market that was transferred to Frontier. It has been a downward spiral since they took over last year. During peak times, speeds were getting down to near dialup. Comcast service recently became available, however going that route would have required trenching cable some distance. Cost prohibitive and too much trouble.

That left mobile broadband as my only option. I decided to go with Verizon Mobile Broadband via Millenicom. The plan I chose is $59.99 a month with a 20GB cap. Service is provided by Verizon hence my reason for posting this review under Verizon Wireless Broadband. The order process was a little rocky, my wonderful Frontier DSL connection dropped during the order process the first time around. My credit card was charged but the order never actually went through. I had to place a new order from scratch. The duplicate charge was credited back however the next day after emailing Millenicom's billing department. A Novatel MC760 was provided and I'm using it with a Zoom 4501 3G router to integrate it with my home network.

It's been about two weeks so far and I'm very happy with the service. Web sites load very quickly and I can even watch streaming media like Youtube without it constantly breaking up. Something I couldn't do on Frontier for a long time.

My only real complaint is with the price. It's much more expensive then Frontier DSL, and about $10 more expensive then Comcast (cable run issue aside). However being able to take the USB dongle with me when I'm traveling is a big plus!

Comments:

Review by deont See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Super Fast!!!!"
Bad "Having to drop back to 3G in cities where LTE is unavailable and the 5GB cap."
Overall "This technology can really take off once it goes nationwide!!"
(ratings well above consensus)

I tried Sprint's Overdrive and it wasn't bad in the areas where WiMAX was available. However, the speeds that I'm getting now with LTE are far better than what I was getting with Sprint's 4G. I have the LG VL600 which is fairly easy to setup on Windows 7. So far, I've been able to perform speed tests in Charlotte (NC), Philadelphia (PA), Plymouth Meeting (PA), Chicago (IL), and New Castle (DE). On average, I've gotten download speeds of approx 17 MB/s downlink and around 6 MB/s uplink which is better than advertised so far!!! The only negative is the fact that there is a 5GB cap and LTE coverage is not nationwide. If VZW removed the 5G cap, they could easily take a chunk of home internet service!

Comments:

Review by wreinke See Profile

• Location: Frisco,Denton,TX
Good "Great broadband 3G connectivity"
Bad "New plans limit data usage"
Overall "Still a great service and great connection"
(ratings well above consensus)

I got my broandband wireless device over two years ago when data usage was unlimited. I've kept that plan so that if I ever need to use more I won't have to pay more. The new plans limit data usage but if you don't regularly connect you and only check emails or surf the web shouldn't have a problem.

Verizon Wireless Broadband is excellent by far. I vacation to Destin Florida from Dallas Texas every year and my wife usually drives most of the way. While she's driving I'm doing work using my Verizon Wireless Broadband connection. And yes it is broandband most of the way to Florida on major highways. Also broadband all the way to Houston on I-45. It's great. Try getting that quality with AT&T or Sprint. I don't think so.

4G just came out but waiting for 4G mobile hotspot devices to show up before I give that a try.

Comments:

Review by tonystewart See Profile

• Location: Delray Beach,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Fast"
Bad "When on the fringe of 3g 4g territory it drops, disconnects then reconnects every 3-5 minutes"
Overall "I hope it improves"

·AT&T Southeast
After 4 years wonderful years of Verizon Wireless Broadband, 2 with PCMCIA modem card & 2 with USB Modem I received an opportunity to upgrade to a new 4G LTE USB UML290 Modem for $100 & $50 5GB monthly plan.

This new technology is much faster, but it sucks when you are on the fringe of 3G-4G reception area. It won't hold a connection, constantly switching between 3g & 4g. I have been in contact with tech support and they are great. Using the extension cord & getting it away from all emi's seems to help a little.

I am able to turn off 4g during the day, so my connection is as solid as before using 3g & only use the 4g at night

»www.speedtest.net/result/1098938002.png

member for 13.6 years, 1725 visits, last login: 107 days ago

Comments:

Review by dsttexas See Profile

• Location: Cameron,Milam,TX
Good "Easy install, much improved performance"
(ratings well above consensus)

Only 2 hours with it so far, but it blows away my Hughesnet satellite performance, and probably at $30.00 less per month based on expected / past usage. Anyone want a satellite antenna and modem?

Comments:

Review by emhl See Profile

• Location: Miami Beach,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Amazing speeds on the go! Something never possible before!"
Bad "You can use your entire monthly allowance in a couple of hours!"
Overall "It works for the money, comparable to cable beats any DSL!"
(ratings well above consensus)

I walk to a nearby Verizon store on Sunday(5th) morning and decided to go with the Pantech 4g/lte usb (instead the LG, it has a flexible usb plug and provision for external antenna) It took like 15min to activate and maybe another hour to figure out how to configure it on my MacBook (there is no vzw manager for Mac so far, it requires network settings manual configuration) Once live, I got consisted speed tests around 10Mbps download/upload. Also I travel around the city with the notebook streaming tv from my slingbox with a steady, always over 2Mbps (limited by my home u-verse 3Mbps upload) The only problem is video streaming/downloading can eat the 10G allowance very quickly. I use 5G on the first day testing and have to deal with the remaining 5G for the entire month. After a couple of weeks everything so far so good. Much better than expected, maybe due the vzw/lte network almost unpopulated but anyway results are amazing. I will update the review if anything changes.

Comments:

Review by digitalrao See Profile

• Location: Rosenberg,Fort Bend,TX
Good "Ok speed on easyTether for android"
Bad "kinda a slow"
Overall "Verizon Gets me when I am away from Home"

fast and but kinda slow 1.56 mbps which is half of my DSL from AT&T HSI/DSL at home . I wish it was faster . I might try kClear /Rover for bacbak up wireles broadbrand for my line of work I do ..

Comments:

Review by texstory See Profile

• Location: Bullard,Smith,TX
Good "When it works, it works well."
Bad "It only works in a few large cities."
Overall "It beats the alternatives."

This is for use in a tractor/trailer rig going coast-to-coast. Broadband service is limited to localities like some large cities, otherwise there is only "regular" access. This service is generally better than truck stop wifi, and averages out a lot cheaper in the long run. Coverage areas are expanding over time. One advantage I have is a "grandfathered-in" Alltel unlimited usage contract.