Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by digitalrao See Profile

• Location: Rosenberg,Fort Bend,TX
Good "Ok speed on easyTether for android"
Bad "kinda a slow"
Overall "Verizon Gets me when I am away from Home"

·AT&T DSL Service
fast and but kinda slow 1.56 mbps which is half of my DSL from AT&T HSI/DSL at home . I wish it was faster . I might try kClear /Rover for bacbak up wireles broadbrand for my line of work I do ..

Comments:

Review by texstory See Profile

• Location: Bullard,Smith,TX
Good "When it works, it works well."
Bad "It only works in a few large cities."
Overall "It beats the alternatives."

This is for use in a tractor/trailer rig going coast-to-coast. Broadband service is limited to localities like some large cities, otherwise there is only "regular" access. This service is generally better than truck stop wifi, and averages out a lot cheaper in the long run. Coverage areas are expanding over time. One advantage I have is a "grandfathered-in" Alltel unlimited usage contract.

Comments:

Review by alanxenos See Profile

• Location: Winnetka,Cook,IL
Good "Simple set up, rock-solid connection, great speed"
Bad "Slow in some places, VZAccess Manager"
Overall "Good option for Chicago"

VZAccess is a good wireless service in Chicago. I tried Clear, but the coverage was lacking in some areas. I currently live in Northfield, and the connection is very solid. The speed is wonderful, and the connection is solid as a rock. The install and order process was very simple, and the price isn't too bad. I use the 3g hotspot and USB tethering via my HTC Incredible (ADR6300), and the speed is a consistent 1.5mb/s with EV-DO rev A. Tech support is lukewarm, if you get a live person. However, wait times SUCK.

member for 5.9 years, 518 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ronniet See Profile

• Location: Florence,Lauderdale,AL
Good "speed,easy to install. Used when traveling on vacation."
Overall "very few times problems with speed"

My area is not served by cable. AT&t doesnt have adsl in this area. Satellite seemed to be too expensive and lacked mobility. Have had the service 2 yrs. had to call tech support one time. Considered AT&T air card but verizon seemed to have the better coverage area. Am considering upgrade to mi-fi.

Comments:

Review by Eaglegram See Profile

• Location: Old Town,Dixie,FL
Good "I can finnally access broadband service from my home."
Bad "I have to sit out on my poarch to get any kind of useable signal"
Overall "I have a broadband hookup for the first time in 4 years."

·WildBlue
I live out in the Hammock in Old Town, Dixie County Florida,I can't get dsl from AT&T because there is no dslam in the brand new central office unit 1/4 mile from my home. AT&T says they will not be providing my area of Dixie County with DSL EVER !!! There is no local cable company providing service anywhere close to my residence here in Dixie County. I have looked into Blue Sky, and Hughes Net, but both want too much money for initial set-up, so I have been running my desktop on a dial-up ISP for 4 years, I have been in dialup hell for 4 years with a 28.8 kbps connection !!! Verizon Wireless is finally capable of providing me a workable connection, now I need to tweak it to the max !!!

member for 13.5 years, 188 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by jackthbean See Profile

• Location: Paris,Stark,OH
Good "Fast for wireless, I can stream music/video fine for the most part."
Bad "Gets congested easily, don't expect to stream anything close to HD video."
Overall "Overall a good deal, unlimited sevice plan with reasonable speed and great coverage."

This review is for the 3G service my phone receives, I am currently tethering the 3G to my laptop though, so it works like a 3G card.

Comments:

Review by mickspace See Profile

• Location: Reliance,Polk,TN
Good "29.99 ulimited ( using a smart phone runnning windows and WIFI router)"
Bad "Slow, limited sservice towers in my area"
Overall "Better than Dial up, cheaper than satellite."

I am using Verizon wireless broad band because the options where I live are Dial up, satellite, or Verizon ( AT&T has no signal here).
I have a windows based Smartphone, running WMWIFI Router, which enables my connection, and then I share this connection within my network.
The phone has a required $29.99 data plan, the phone it self is not tethered to the PC, The application turns the phone into a broadcasting router. Tethering the phone will bring usage charges.
This allows unlimited accessibility.
I am not sure if this is faster than AT&T, I once had a verizon card, and my AT&T cell phone connection was faster than the verizon card.
I am unable to test this now as there is no AT&T service here.
At times I get 1.5 mb downloads. It averages around 700 or so, that is with 2-3 bars of service.

For the price, it is the best deal out in here the middle of nowhere...

Comments:

Review by GetMoney See Profile

• Location: Greenville,Pitt,NC
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "great coverage in my area"
Bad "3g speeds not as fast as i had hoped overall, but definitely does the trick"
Overall "worth every penny so far"

I had AT&T service here in greenville NC and it sucked. What also sucked is the sales girl at the store showed me a press release that said 3g service was coming to Greenville soon. I bought an iPhone and waited for the 3g service and it never came. When Verizon announched the Droid Incredible I knew what day I would finally leave AT&T. 6 weeks in ive been very impressed with VZW and look forward to a nice relationship with them. Maybe one day LTE will surround me.

Comments:

Review by tedead See Profile

• Location: Mcintosh,Polk,MN
Good "Coverage area, connection speeds"
Bad "Online gaming latency"
Overall "I am glad I signed up for the service."

I work over the road and need internet access when I travel. Verizon Mobile Broadband solves this problem. Everywhere I have been I have internet service. Verizon has been stable providing me with around a 1Mb/sec connection.

I also play World of Warcraft while away from home. It keeps me out of the bars and the Mrs. likes it that way, lol.

There can be some latency problems while playing WoW but overall WoW can be played using Verizon Mobile Broadband.

With some tweaking I believe that ping times can be reduced for smoother game play.

Pros: Wide coverage area, decent download speeds, price. This service is great for people who spend time away from home.

Cons: Huge lag spikes (online gaming) once and awhile, disconnect problems once in a blue moon.

Overall: Verizon service is something to look into and I will never go without cellular broadband service ever again.

I am using the USB760 which has been reliable. It has a slot for a microSD card and it also has an external antenna plugin which I can connect to a 3w signal booster which can help a lot.

Comments:

Review by S k i p p y See Profile

• Location: Lurking
Good "Portable, good speeds"
Bad "A little pricey, not too bad"
Overall "I needed it for taveling with my laptop. So far i'm happy."

I've been with Verizon Wireless since they came to be. I have Cable at home but I'm always on the road and I needed a solution for my laptop. Wifi wouldn't cut it so I decided to add wireless broadband to my wireless phone account. I called them up and as usual they were very helpful and everything went well. I ordered the service and a USB727 modem. I had it in 3 days. I had a little trouble getting it to work. 1 person said there should be an activation form in the shipping box but there wasn't. The paperwork said it automatically activated online. So as I was a bit confused I called upon tech support for an answer. They walked me through some ordeal that wasn't in the instructions and had me up and running in about 10 minutes total. So far it has worked very well and my speeds are beyond what my DSL at home can do. The only real concern I have is paying attention to the 5Gb limit. I hate having to think about that all the time but at least the Access manager let's you know how much you've used. I'll post an update if I have any problems in the future but so far so good.