Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by tedead See Profile

• Location: Mcintosh,Polk,MN
Good "Coverage area, connection speeds"
Bad "Online gaming latency"
Overall "I am glad I signed up for the service."

I work over the road and need internet access when I travel. Verizon Mobile Broadband solves this problem. Everywhere I have been I have internet service. Verizon has been stable providing me with around a 1Mb/sec connection.

I also play World of Warcraft while away from home. It keeps me out of the bars and the Mrs. likes it that way, lol.

There can be some latency problems while playing WoW but overall WoW can be played using Verizon Mobile Broadband.

With some tweaking I believe that ping times can be reduced for smoother game play.

Pros: Wide coverage area, decent download speeds, price. This service is great for people who spend time away from home.

Cons: Huge lag spikes (online gaming) once and awhile, disconnect problems once in a blue moon.

Overall: Verizon service is something to look into and I will never go without cellular broadband service ever again.

I am using the USB760 which has been reliable. It has a slot for a microSD card and it also has an external antenna plugin which I can connect to a 3w signal booster which can help a lot.

Comments:

Review by S k i p p y See Profile

• Location: Lurking
Good "Portable, good speeds"
Bad "A little pricey, not too bad"
Overall "I needed it for taveling with my laptop. So far i'm happy."

I've been with Verizon Wireless since they came to be. I have Cable at home but I'm always on the road and I needed a solution for my laptop. Wifi wouldn't cut it so I decided to add wireless broadband to my wireless phone account. I called them up and as usual they were very helpful and everything went well. I ordered the service and a USB727 modem. I had it in 3 days. I had a little trouble getting it to work. 1 person said there should be an activation form in the shipping box but there wasn't. The paperwork said it automatically activated online. So as I was a bit confused I called upon tech support for an answer. They walked me through some ordeal that wasn't in the instructions and had me up and running in about 10 minutes total. So far it has worked very well and my speeds are beyond what my DSL at home can do. The only real concern I have is paying attention to the 5Gb limit. I hate having to think about that all the time but at least the Access manager let's you know how much you've used. I'll post an update if I have any problems in the future but so far so good.

member for 11.4 years, 3787 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by gregga27587 See Profile

• Location: Washington,Beaufort,NC
Good "it works"
Bad "it aint cable !"
Overall "WORTH THE MONEY but I WANT MY 4G!!!"

Completly mobile and dependent on Cell and EVDO. VWZ has been expangin the netowrk constantly since I bought ....they can afford it.

MUST be used with an external antenna and amplifier for success. The USB options have been the best so far as is the cradlepoint access point .

Comments:

Review by lmw See Profile

• Location: Princeville,Peoria,IL
Good "small device Mifi 2200"
Bad "5 gb monthly allowance"
Overall "Compared to satellite, it's great!"

I've had the Verizon MiFi 2200 for about a month. I'd been a HughesNet satellite user for about 7 years, with many problems. I'm SO happy to be done with that. When my satellite modem quit powering on, I checked out Wild Blue but a friend was using a Verizon Wireless aircard. She brought her laptop over and the reception at my home was great. This was the way to go! I have no other options except dial-up - no cable, DSL.

I took my Win7 laptop to a Verizon dealer and they installed/setup the device.

I'm on the $59.99/month 5GB plan. Modem was $150 with $50 rebate and 2-year contract. (Cheaper than getting a new modem from HughesNet) So far, this seems like it'll work for me, although I hate worrying about the 5 gig [no worse than worrying about FAP, though]. I check my usage daily by logging in at
»ebillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw ··· e.action
or I could plug the device directly into my laptop to check daily. I have 3 computers in my home that take advantage of my "hotspot". Two laptops and one desktop. I have 3 more days in my cycle and have used 2917 mb of the 5120 mb allowed. My usage consists of email, uploading webpage info for webpages that I manage, surfing for information and an occassional youtube. I should be fine, I think.

I keep the device plugged into an electrical outlet at home and can power it off, although the dealer said it would be fine to leave it on all the time. I've traveled with it using the battery power and have had no problems.

I have no desire to network my 3 computers to share printers/files, so I can't speak to that. I did have a network setup when I had HughesNet but I seldom used other files/printers so I decided not to mess with that.

My highest speed has been an odd 4151kbps down. Usually it's between 1000-2000 kbps. Upload high was 728 kbps. Average is a bit more than 1000 down/600 up. I'm am so happy with this compared to my satellite speeds. Today's info:
Download Speed: 1623 kbps (202.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 614 kbps (76.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

I did get the $50/year insurance. And I understand you can get a new modem every year providing you sign a new 2-year contract. We'll see.

So far, it's all good.

member for 12.2 years, 703 visits, last login: 4.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by infomas See Profile

• Location: Tustin,Orange,CA
Good "fast, great coverage, easy to use, multpile users"
Bad "no password on router, could always be cheaper, 5 gig limit"
Overall "internet everywhere, if you can afford it"

I walked out of the Verizon store with a working Myfi. We took a 2 hour trip up north the next day and my wife used her laptop most of the way with no interruptions.With the ability to support 5 devices, there are all sorts of possibilities here. We are planning a company retreat with 5 of us taking a limo out of town. We will be able to work in the limo (maybe this isn't a good thing) and pretty much anywhere we go that has signal. I installed Skype on my ITouch and I now have a second phone. I put on my bluetooth headphones, put my internet radio station on the the ITouch and threw the myfi and ITouch in my gym bag. Played racquetball while listening to music. Can you tell I'm a happy geek? I am no where near using up the bandwidth for the month and am easily getting my money's worth. I considered the Sprint version of this, but decided that Verizon was going to have the better coverage. They both use the same hardware and have similar pricing. If you have the money ($60 a month plus tax) it is a great alternative to a phone card.

Comments:

Review by weaseled386 See Profile

• Location: Port Orange,Volusia,FL
Good "Very fast for being cellular!"
Bad "Expensive."
Overall "If you need access on the road don't look anywhere else!"

I work in the telecom field, and I'm constantly on the road checking jobs & remotely logging into systems for testing. With my job 100% uptime is a absolute must.

I first went to (the former) Cingular since I have my cell phone through them. I won't go into details since this isn't their review, but the experience was poor at best. I returned their card and went straight to Verizon.

I've had this service for a total of 3 years. For the first two years I used one of their PCMCIA cards that was excellent. It wasn't very obtrusive, and it had amazing reception. I then moved to a laptop with an expresscard slot and was forced to move to a USB solution. The USB card is REV-A compatible which added around 20kbs to my UL & DL speeds. In Metro areas I'm consistantly around 125kbs.

The only CON is that they require a 2 year contract for the $60.00 price. If you press hard enough you can get 1 year contracts, but the price of the hardware is higher and your monthly fee is $80.00. However, this is for the UNLIMITED plan. They also offer pay as you go....

My other option was Sprint-Nextel, which I briefly had. While Sprint-Nextel was a little quicker, the coverage and software wasn't nearly as good.

As stated as my "bottom line" if you need quick an constant on the road access I believe Verizon is the way to go.

Update 10/20/2009:

I still have my Verizon service, and it has been nothing less than rock solid. I'm currently using an internal Dell modem, because I got sick of the USB dongle. I'd still recommend this to anyone needing a constant connection while on the road!

member for 6.9 years, 2182 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by SRE_Wolf See Profile

• Location: Jemison,Chilton,AL
Good "Fairly fast reliable connection"
Bad "Its not an always on connection and your limited in bandwith"
Overall "If the DSL and cable companies dont want your buisness this is the ticket"

I tried to get DSL or cable as I'm a Gamer. the big companies wouldnt run service out here. or would say were coming your way. That was two years ago. I tried Hughes net and I could have stayed with dial up for all the good that expensive service did me.Its two years later and still no highspeed service. I took a chance on verison wireless and I must say I'm impressed Its not DSL or Cable but its fast enough to play most games. If your a forgotten one who happens to live where the big boys dont wanna play Verison is the ticket.

Comments:

Review by captpackrat See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Cass,NE
Good "No bandwidth cap IF you sign up with Alltel"
Bad "Very limited hardware available through Alltel."
Overall "Get an Alltel plan while you still can!"

I just signed up as an Alltel customer; you can still do so in some markets. Alltel's plans cost the same as Verizon, use the same towers, and will eventually be incorporated into Verizon's billing, but you can get UNLIMITED Internet access for the length of the contract (2 years).

You can only pick from the limited selection of Alltel hardware; you can't get the new MiFi or anything else from the Verizon side. If you pick Verizon hardware, you'll be stuck with a Verizon plan and a 5 Gig bandwidth cap. I got the Huawei EC168, which has both cellular and WiFi radios and a MicroSD card slot. Supposedly it has GPS, but I haven't figured out how to enable it yet. It was free after mail-in rebate. Setup is extremely simple, all the software is built into the dongle; just plug it in and it's ready to go.

I get about 1.5 Mbit download speeds, 350 Kbit upload. I live in a rural area, so service may be faster in the city. EV-DO Rev. A has a theoretical maximum of 3.1 Mbit.

This was probably the easiest broadband install I've ever done. I was up and running in less than an hour after signing up (and most of that was the drive home).

Comments:

Review by ClayL1983 See Profile

• Location: Mattoon,Coles,IL
Good "Excellent Customer Service and Network"
Bad "None in my book"
Overall "I would recommend it to a friend"

I have had VZW since 2000. When I first signed up our area was still analog, and I wouldn't always receive my calls. Once they went digital, I have not had any big problems since. I have went over my txt message limit once, and I called and had them change the package and had them back date it to absorb the overage fees. Anytime I have called Customer Service, I have never had to hold for more than about 3 minutes or less, and they have resolved my problem everytime I have called.

Our Monthly Plan is 700 Minute Basic Family SharePlan with 3 phones. The monthly access charges before taxes are roughly 97.95 (that price includes insurance on all 3 phones, Unlimited Mobile to Mobile TXT/PIX/Flix package on 1 phone, and 250 Message Allowance on another phone. That price also includes a 20% discount that I recieve because of my employer. ) After taxes and everything else, its about $120. Just be careful about Megabyte usage. If you have a plan that does not include unlimited Megabyte usage, you will be billed 1.99/MB -- this is anytime you browse the Get It Now Catalog, Download from Get It Now, or Browse Mobile Web. Megabyte usage can be a little expensive.

member for 10.7 years, 311 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by sneakaround See Profile

• Location: Staten Island,Richmond,NY
Good "Internet while traveling"
Bad "speed"
Overall "If you need the internet while away from home this is great."

I use Verizon wireless while at work in the field. I can almost always get a connection, surprisingly even when I can't make a wireless call I can often connect with my laptop. If you need an internet connection while away from home then this is the way to go, but if you need a connection for your house then FiOS, DSL, or cable is the way to go. I have never needed to call tech support, the bill goes directly to my company, and the laptop I use had the hardware needed for connection pre-installed so I cannot comment on any of these points.