Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by Skipdawg See Profile

• Location: Mount Vernon,Skagit,WA
Good "So far all good!"
Bad "None at this point."
Overall "5+ years with Verizon wireless and very happy."

·Clear Wireless
I looked at what AT&T, Sprint and TMobile had and still decided to stay with Verizon Wireless. I'm on year 5 going into year 6 this Fall.

I ordered the unlimited Talk and text package. May do away with my land line by the end of this Summer or go with the most basic package if I keep it.

I did the preorder. The day before. For I had messed up doing it a few days earlier. Knew something was not right never got confirmation. Called Customer service they told me to redo the order and call if no conformation came. Got conformation and the next day at noon FedEx delivered my package.

I ordered the new HTC Droid Incredible. Great phone. Was very glad to retire my LG Dare. It was acting up.

The experience has been all good. Sure hope it stays that way. I like a all Pros and no Cons situation with any purchase.

If I get the chance I'll post a update in a few months.

Comments:

Review by gregga27587 See Profile

• Location: Washington,Beaufort,NC
Good "it works"
Bad "it aint cable !"
Overall "WORTH THE MONEY but I WANT MY 4G!!!"

Completly mobile and dependent on Cell and EVDO. VWZ has been expangin the netowrk constantly since I bought ....they can afford it.

MUST be used with an external antenna and amplifier for success. The USB options have been the best so far as is the cradlepoint access point .

Comments:

Review by lmw See Profile

• Location: Princeville,Peoria,IL
Good "small device Mifi 2200"
Bad "5 gb monthly allowance"
Overall "Compared to satellite, it's great!"

I've had the Verizon MiFi 2200 for about a month. I'd been a HughesNet satellite user for about 7 years, with many problems. I'm SO happy to be done with that. When my satellite modem quit powering on, I checked out Wild Blue but a friend was using a Verizon Wireless aircard. She brought her laptop over and the reception at my home was great. This was the way to go! I have no other options except dial-up - no cable, DSL.

I took my Win7 laptop to a Verizon dealer and they installed/setup the device.

I'm on the $59.99/month 5GB plan. Modem was $150 with $50 rebate and 2-year contract. (Cheaper than getting a new modem from HughesNet) So far, this seems like it'll work for me, although I hate worrying about the 5 gig [no worse than worrying about FAP, though]. I check my usage daily by logging in at
»ebillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw···e.action
or I could plug the device directly into my laptop to check daily. I have 3 computers in my home that take advantage of my "hotspot". Two laptops and one desktop. I have 3 more days in my cycle and have used 2917 mb of the 5120 mb allowed. My usage consists of email, uploading webpage info for webpages that I manage, surfing for information and an occassional youtube. I should be fine, I think.

I keep the device plugged into an electrical outlet at home and can power it off, although the dealer said it would be fine to leave it on all the time. I've traveled with it using the battery power and have had no problems.

I have no desire to network my 3 computers to share printers/files, so I can't speak to that. I did have a network setup when I had HughesNet but I seldom used other files/printers so I decided not to mess with that.

My highest speed has been an odd 4151kbps down. Usually it's between 1000-2000 kbps. Upload high was 728 kbps. Average is a bit more than 1000 down/600 up. I'm am so happy with this compared to my satellite speeds. Today's info:
Download Speed: 1623 kbps (202.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 614 kbps (76.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

I did get the $50/year insurance. And I understand you can get a new modem every year providing you sign a new 2-year contract. We'll see.

So far, it's all good.

member for 11.6 years, 703 visits, last login: 4.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by infomas See Profile

• Location: Tustin,Orange,CA
Good "fast, great coverage, easy to use, multpile users"
Bad "no password on router, could always be cheaper, 5 gig limit"
Overall "internet everywhere, if you can afford it"

I walked out of the Verizon store with a working Myfi. We took a 2 hour trip up north the next day and my wife used her laptop most of the way with no interruptions.With the ability to support 5 devices, there are all sorts of possibilities here. We are planning a company retreat with 5 of us taking a limo out of town. We will be able to work in the limo (maybe this isn't a good thing) and pretty much anywhere we go that has signal. I installed Skype on my ITouch and I now have a second phone. I put on my bluetooth headphones, put my internet radio station on the the ITouch and threw the myfi and ITouch in my gym bag. Played racquetball while listening to music. Can you tell I'm a happy geek? I am no where near using up the bandwidth for the month and am easily getting my money's worth. I considered the Sprint version of this, but decided that Verizon was going to have the better coverage. They both use the same hardware and have similar pricing. If you have the money ($60 a month plus tax) it is a great alternative to a phone card.

Comments:

Review by weaseled386 See Profile

• Location: Port Orange,Volusia,FL
Good "Very fast for being cellular!"
Bad "Expensive."
Overall "If you need access on the road don't look anywhere else!"

·Bright House
I work in the telecom field, and I'm constantly on the road checking jobs & remotely logging into systems for testing. With my job 100% uptime is a absolute must.

I first went to (the former) Cingular since I have my cell phone through them. I won't go into details since this isn't their review, but the experience was poor at best. I returned their card and went straight to Verizon.

I've had this service for a total of 3 years. For the first two years I used one of their PCMCIA cards that was excellent. It wasn't very obtrusive, and it had amazing reception. I then moved to a laptop with an expresscard slot and was forced to move to a USB solution. The USB card is REV-A compatible which added around 20kbs to my UL & DL speeds. In Metro areas I'm consistantly around 125kbs.

The only CON is that they require a 2 year contract for the $60.00 price. If you press hard enough you can get 1 year contracts, but the price of the hardware is higher and your monthly fee is $80.00. However, this is for the UNLIMITED plan. They also offer pay as you go....

My other option was Sprint-Nextel, which I briefly had. While Sprint-Nextel was a little quicker, the coverage and software wasn't nearly as good.

As stated as my "bottom line" if you need quick an constant on the road access I believe Verizon is the way to go.

Update 10/20/2009:

I still have my Verizon service, and it has been nothing less than rock solid. I'm currently using an internal Dell modem, because I got sick of the USB dongle. I'd still recommend this to anyone needing a constant connection while on the road!

member for 6.3 years, 2017 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by SRE_Wolf See Profile

• Location: Jemison,Chilton,AL
Good "Fairly fast reliable connection"
Bad "Its not an always on connection and your limited in bandwith"
Overall "If the DSL and cable companies dont want your buisness this is the ticket"

I tried to get DSL or cable as I'm a Gamer. the big companies wouldnt run service out here. or would say were coming your way. That was two years ago. I tried Hughes net and I could have stayed with dial up for all the good that expensive service did me.Its two years later and still no highspeed service. I took a chance on verison wireless and I must say I'm impressed Its not DSL or Cable but its fast enough to play most games. If your a forgotten one who happens to live where the big boys dont wanna play Verison is the ticket.

Comments:

Review by captpackrat See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Cass,NE
Good "No bandwidth cap IF you sign up with Alltel"
Bad "Very limited hardware available through Alltel."
Overall "Get an Alltel plan while you still can!"

I just signed up as an Alltel customer; you can still do so in some markets. Alltel's plans cost the same as Verizon, use the same towers, and will eventually be incorporated into Verizon's billing, but you can get UNLIMITED Internet access for the length of the contract (2 years).

You can only pick from the limited selection of Alltel hardware; you can't get the new MiFi or anything else from the Verizon side. If you pick Verizon hardware, you'll be stuck with a Verizon plan and a 5 Gig bandwidth cap. I got the Huawei EC168, which has both cellular and WiFi radios and a MicroSD card slot. Supposedly it has GPS, but I haven't figured out how to enable it yet. It was free after mail-in rebate. Setup is extremely simple, all the software is built into the dongle; just plug it in and it's ready to go.

I get about 1.5 Mbit download speeds, 350 Kbit upload. I live in a rural area, so service may be faster in the city. EV-DO Rev. A has a theoretical maximum of 3.1 Mbit.

This was probably the easiest broadband install I've ever done. I was up and running in less than an hour after signing up (and most of that was the drive home).

Comments:

Review by ClayL1983 See Profile

• Location: Mattoon,Coles,IL
Good "Excellent Customer Service and Network"
Bad "None in my book"
Overall "I would recommend it to a friend"

I have had VZW since 2000. When I first signed up our area was still analog, and I wouldn't always receive my calls. Once they went digital, I have not had any big problems since. I have went over my txt message limit once, and I called and had them change the package and had them back date it to absorb the overage fees. Anytime I have called Customer Service, I have never had to hold for more than about 3 minutes or less, and they have resolved my problem everytime I have called.

Our Monthly Plan is 700 Minute Basic Family SharePlan with 3 phones. The monthly access charges before taxes are roughly 97.95 (that price includes insurance on all 3 phones, Unlimited Mobile to Mobile TXT/PIX/Flix package on 1 phone, and 250 Message Allowance on another phone. That price also includes a 20% discount that I recieve because of my employer. ) After taxes and everything else, its about $120. Just be careful about Megabyte usage. If you have a plan that does not include unlimited Megabyte usage, you will be billed 1.99/MB -- this is anytime you browse the Get It Now Catalog, Download from Get It Now, or Browse Mobile Web. Megabyte usage can be a little expensive.

Comments:

Review by sneakaround See Profile

• Location: Staten Island,Richmond,NY
Good "Internet while traveling"
Bad "speed"
Overall "If you need the internet while away from home this is great."

I use Verizon wireless while at work in the field. I can almost always get a connection, surprisingly even when I can't make a wireless call I can often connect with my laptop. If you need an internet connection while away from home then this is the way to go, but if you need a connection for your house then FiOS, DSL, or cable is the way to go. I have never needed to call tech support, the bill goes directly to my company, and the laptop I use had the hardware needed for connection pre-installed so I cannot comment on any of these points.

member for 13.2 years, 2237 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by brasstown See Profile

• Location: Mckinney,Collin,TX
Good "speed and portability"
Bad "have not found any yet except 5g limit...."
Overall "good buy"

Today my Wild Blue modem tapped out. After 3 years of fairly reliable service I've become ready for a change. Was not willing to pay for a service and parts charge when I have a Verizon tower 1/2 mile from the house. Three years ago the only feasible rural service was Hughesnet or WildBlue. So after 3 years I'v amortized the cost of the equipment so I don't feel bad dumping it.

Drove to a Verizon Store and bought one and took it home, installed software, and plugged in the USB modem. Simple as that... Much faster response time and download time. I use Filezilla to FTP pictures to my web site and the upload performance is very good. So far I'm happy and my next step is getting a Cradlepoint router so I can connect all my computers and setup a network.

All the Wildblue stuff will be taken out soon. Dish, coax cable, modem, etc.

Looking forward to using VZ on the road as we have a RV and campground WI-FI is a iffy thing.....

Two weeks later......
Purchased a Cradlepoint Travel Router for my modem and used my old Lynksys repeater to boost the signal to my wifes workspace. We both have laptops with WI_FI and so a router is a must have, else it is messy using sneakernet and sharing the modem. Router menus are easy to work. Best to leave at defaults if you don't know anything about routers. One setting that should be looked at is the amount of time the router will keep the modem up. I set mine at zero which keeps it up infinitely but also set it for "on demand". This will keep the connection alive but xmits will only take place when data is to be sent or received.

After 2 - 3 weeks of beating it up with pictures, email, and general web tomfoolery I am quite happy with the results. The one thing I watch out for is the usage levels. With more speed then my old Wildblue system I can squirt more data faster up and down which is like a drunk with a credit card.....

No more rain fade here or at the earth station, No more latency etc etc....