Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by psbny See Profile

• Location: Peekskill,Westchester,NY
Good "haven't experienced any dead zones yet"
Bad "not very fast compared to wireline"
(ratings well above consensus)

use it for work and they pay for it so i can't complain. i'd like it to be quicker but it's sufficient compared to what i had before.

member for 12.3 years, 2317 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mswtech See Profile

• Location: Carlisle,Warren,IA
Good "Great Product for country folk"
Bad "Price"
Overall "Great"

This was the cheapest option for me, no equipment to buy. It really works well.

Comments:

Review by rshelps See Profile

• Location: Quakertown,Bucks,PA
Good "Reliable, Not affected by weather, fast-Down 2.3-5/ Up 200-500"
Bad "Kind of pricey but don't have DSL and won't have sattelite"
Overall "Great for my needs-Good Choice"

I been very happy with Verizon wireless broadband. upgrading from Rev 0 to Rev A has been great. Rev 0 was: Down, 600-700 kbps/ Up 90.
Rev A is Down 1.5-2.3 Mbps/ Up 200-500 kbps.
Service is reliable, signal has improved with verizon upgrades and small internal antenna. 65-70 db. Not affected by weather, a little by line-of sight leaves in summer. I live in a DSL gap but would not consider Satellite.
Quick log in 1-2 seconds. Low latency. I transfer lots of data.
$60/m for 5-10 GB/m. I use a USB727 modem.and like it vs my old kyocera modem which seemed to stall on downloads.

Comments:

Review by toddnc4300 See Profile

• Location: Bakersville,Mitchell,NC
Good "Much much faster than my dial-up! Easier then satellite! Mobility!"
Bad "price, usage limits*"
Overall "Great option for those whose only choices are slow dial-up or complicated sometime unreliable two way satellite"

First of all my only two choices were dial-up which ran at max 28.8k and satellite. I had a one way satellite system for a while but they sold out then shut down service. One way was fine except if you needed to reset the dish it could be a pain. I followed two way satellite for two years and the problems people had plus the fact that I was hours away from an installer were enough to keep me from even trying. So I went from years of dial-up to one way satellite for a few years then back to dial-up again for several years till I found Verizon had a signal in my area.

I checked and rechecked the coverage maps for a week before ordering from 3gstore. The 30 day trial is what made me pull the trigger and I ordered on a Friday and the modem was here the following Tuesday. I loaded the software, plugged in the modem when instructed and got a signal! A weak signal but there signal! From opening the box to connecting to the internet it was probably under 10 minutes. After that I started to work on getting a better signal by using a 10 foot usb cord and placing the modem and the booster antenna in different locations. I finally got a good signal and have a spot where they sit when using this computer. I can easily unplug and use it in my laptop or any other computer.

Most of the time the speeds are great ! I have posted a few speed tests in the Verizon Wireless forums. Every once in a while it downgrades to a slower speed but usually you can fix that by shutting down the modem and powering it back up. I haven't used it too often mobile but the few times I used it in my laptop it connected quickly and ran great.

Usually see 800Kb/s to 1500Kb/s Down and 400 Kb/s UP latency can jump around from 80's to upper 200's but usually in the mid to upper 100's.

$59.00 a month plus some taxes and other junk brings it to $60.07.

I gave the Value for money a 4 because I got in before the ridiculous overage charges so I'm not effected. I would probably still use the service if I got in after but would watch my usage and would give the value a 2 or 3.

Other options I considered were Wildblue or Hughsnet satellite.

Ordering from 3GStore was easy and installation was a breeze so I didn't need and contact or help from them.

I ordered the USB720 which was the newer modem at the time. Still works fine and don't think I will upgrade since I think upgrading resets my contract.

My good and bad experiences. Hmmm.

Good , SPEED ! Ease of use and being mobile plug and surf! Try that with a satellite dish!! Has been very reliable.

Bad. Well I guess the price and It can drop a signal once in a while or slow down. They really don't want you to play games, watch videos, streaming etc.

It's not really a replacement for an ISP so you will need to use hotmail, gmail or another ISP. In my case I just kept my Earthlink dial-up service so I could continue to use my email addresses.

Bottom line is I think it's a great service for me. With dial-up if family sent me photos through email I would sit there for over 20 minutes watching and waiting for them download so I would usually go do something else then come back. With Verizon Wireless I hardly notice it downloaded pictures. When buying a MP3 from Amazon. Dial-up 20 minutes , Verizon 1min 20sec or so.

Pre Sales. -- Well I read the fine print and other peoples comments on these and other forums so I knew what I was getting so 5 stars.

Install was easy for me.-- 5 stars

Connection reliability.-- 4 stars. every once in a while it will switch to a slower signal but not too often.

Tech Support.-- never had to use. should be a N/A option but I gave it 4 stars

Services -- 4 stars because no email or any other services but it connects to the internet! That is what's important!

Value -- Once again I give it 4 stars because I got in before the ridiculous overage charges or I would give it a 2 or 3 stars.

I bypassed Verizon and got mine from 3Gstore.com Lots of good information there also.

* Watch the new usage limits in the contract! They can really nail you for going over 5gb. I'm lucky that I got in before that !

Comments:

Review by WVBill See Profile

• Location: Summit Point,Jefferson,WV
Good "Very reliable connection"
Bad "none"
Overall "If you can pull in a signal, it's MUCH better than Hughesnet in a rural area."
(ratings well above consensus)

I had Hughesnet satellite for three years before I switched. After one week-long outage when the satellite I was on went down, I started looking hard for a broadband alternative. Looked at WISP but they wanted $125 just to come do a site survey to see if I could get their signal. Looked at all the EVDO providers coverage maps and the only one that was close was Verizon - their map showed coverage up to the state line, about 1/2 mile from my house. Read up on fringe coverage at EVDOforums.com and decided to give it a try. Ordered my Verizon service and a booster antenna from 3Gstore.com. 3 Days later, I got a fully functional Verizon U727 modem in the mail. Plugged it into the computer, plugged the booster antenna into it and I was on line. Connection was a little intermittent so I returned the booster antenna and got a directional yagi antenna and the signal has been rock solid since. I get 1,000Kb down and 450Kb up on average with a 300ms latency.

3Gstore.com has awsome sales and tech support and I highly recommend them.

• Location: Bakersfield,Kern,CA
Good "I like having the ability to connect no matter where I am ( of course within the coverage area)"
Bad "So I don't have much in the way of negative feedback to give. It works, not fast but, it works"
Overall "I think the \"

I use Verizon Wireless for working remotely with my laptop while on the road. I haven't done it extensively but the few times I've needed access when there wasn't WIFI available, man has it saved the day. I recently bought a Samsung Omnia and installed the ICS program which makes using the phone as my broadband connection very easy.

Don't try to stream video through it though. But it's good for VPN'ing to work and taking care of business.

(review was emailed from domain bak.rr.com)

Comments:

Review by evansg See Profile

• Location: Hague,Westmoreland,VA
Good "wide availability & mobile access"
Bad "poor real time signal strength meter, just 1-4 bars"
Overall "overall great service"

$50/month for 50 GB data transfer.

UM175 USB Modem

I have had the service for a month now and have been very pleased. I even tried it in the car on a trip from Hague to Woodbridge, VA (no I wasn't driving) and had service the entire time although speed varied. I use it with my Packet8 VOIP although conversation sometimes is broken up a bit if the signal strength is not strong. I did have one issue with it disconnecting which was quickly resolved by the excellent customer support and was my laptop wireless competing with the Verizon wireless. I disabled the laptop wireless and the problem was resolved. I do wish there were a real time signal strength meter to optimize position. How you point the modem significantly impacts reception. The VZaccess Manager software displays strength in 1 to 4 bars which I find difficult. Customer service said I can get a numeric reading by clicking Help>About then page down to see signal strength in dBm. It shows both analog (1xRTT) and digital (1xEVDO)strength. The modem comes with a cable that is handy for extending the modem away from the computer. This makes it easier to try pointing the modem diffent direction to optimize reception. It also has a Y with 2 USB plus so you can use to USB ports on your computer in case your port is not providing sufficient power to the modem. Overall, I have been very pleased with the service. It is great being able to get internet connectivity anywhere I go and intend to use it on my boat when I go out cruising.

Comments:

Review by dogtired1278 See Profile

• Location: Beaumont,Jefferson,TX
Good "It has worked like a Charm so far, Only had it 2.5 months"
Bad "None as yet"

I ordered my USB Broadband online. While I have only had it for a little over two months It was easy to install and has worked like a champ every time I use it. While the ads seem to say it is unlimited service for around 54.00 I did see that the service is limited to 4g per month. That is not bad for just surfing the web, but if you were to do a lot of downloads it could start adding up after the 4gig.

Comments:

Review by CFDFF339 See Profile

• Location: Cumberland Center,Cumberland,ME
Good "Reliable, Portable, Good Speed, Safer than wifi hotspots"
Bad "Coverage is not universal, and can vary in rural settings"
Overall "I would hate to live without it. It turns unproductive wait times into good time use."

I’ve been using Verizon’s online services since they first started their “1xRTT” network. I’ve progressed to EV-DO rev 0 with the Sierra Wireless card, moved to the internal Dell 5700 mini card and now to the Dell 5720 Rev-A card. I’m also a network and software developer.

The internal cards from Dell are nice because I don’t worry about snapping off the card jutting out the laptop; but the software for them isn’t quite as good as Verizon’s.

*** The following is somewhat out of date ***

If I don’t shut down the connection and exit the connection software when I hibernate the laptop, often I can’t use the card again until I reboot. This is getting better with subsequent updates, but its not perfect yet.

---------------------------------------------------------- Updated 6/7/2008 -------------------------

*** There is a new version of this software from Dell, however it isn't listed as an update for the D820 laptop I have. It is, however, listed for the D830. I installed the update anyway given that the hardware is essentially the same. It works like a champ ****

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Although these cards connect to antennas built into the frame of the laptop, reception does not appear to be any better than using the slot on demand cards.

Overall, using EV-DO from Verizon Wireless is excellent. The “real speed” that you feel when you’re using it is comparable to a home DSL connection. I’ve tested in many hotel rooms, and usually the EV-DO from Verizon performs better than the hotel network connection.

Rev-0 EV-DO is like a low end DSL with speeds usually around 800kbps download and only 60kbps upload. Moving to Rev-A is awesome, as the download speed tend to average closer to 1000kbps and the upload speeds are much better. I know I’m seeing over 120kbps and I think I may be seeing as much as 400+ some times (not enough info yet).

I travel, and being able to open the laptop in any cab, airport waiting room, lobby, restaurant, or whatever and never have to pay the extortion for a hotspot is sweet. Its just “there”. It is much cheaper to pay the monthly fee to Verizon than pay in each hotel or hotspot and it is much more universally available. It is also nice to know what I’m connecting to. I don’t like to hunt down open hotspots because you don’t know who’s using them to capture data.

The best thing is the hundreds of hours spent waiting for my kids at one soccer practice or another; while I’m just there with nothing to do for two hours (they don’t like parents at the practices to be involved). Open the laptop and I’ve got DSL speeds.

Comments:

Review by bigdawwg See Profile

• Location: Newton,Newton,TX
Good "Low latency, decent reliable speeds, no rain fade-outs, good price"
Bad "Low to medium signal strength, speeds could be better."
Overall "Good reliable connection at a good price."

I was reluctant to order the broadband access package because of the distance from my residence to the tower. I did a lot of research, and decided to give it a try since Verizon offered a 30 trial. I have noticed that on a couple occasions, bad weather seemed to have an effect on my signal strength, but it wasn't that bad.

I now have passed my 30 day trial, and decided to keep the service. I am using a Wilson Omni antenna, and recently ordered a Wilson 811210 Amplifier. I was doing ok, with 2 bars of Broadband Access Rev A, but figured I could get more signal with the booster. I will update my review after I have had my amplifier for a few days.

member for 13.1 years, 1602 visits, last login: 2.5 years ago