Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by sjwoods See Profile

• Location: Valley Park,Saint Louis,MO
Good "Easy to Install USB device and Device Manager Software"
Bad "None so Far"
Overall "USB 720 device works on PC (XP) and MAC flawlessly"

This package is titled BROADBANDACCESS FOR BUSINESS
It is a package consisting of:
1 fully discounted Verizon Novatel USB 720 Digital Modem
Monthly $46.00 Flat fee (Unlimited access) for Data and Text Message

Good 600/500 MBit performance (in my Basement!)

Up and running in less than two minutes
No waiting for activation - Just Plug in and Go

Device is small and compact and USB works on any Computer that I own
If I had got the PC Card then I would be limiting my options.

Delivered Overnight from FEDEX

Comments:

Review by EBlonde See Profile

• Location: Grover Beach,San Luis Obispo,CA
Good "Being Able To Be Online Wherever You Have Cell Phone Service."
Bad "$59.99 / Month"
Overall "If you're a Mobile PC Tech or Mobile Alot It's Worth It."

If you're a Mobile PC Tech or Mobile Alot It's Worth It.

member for 6 years, 0 visits, last login: 6 years ago

Comments:

Review by sconrad See Profile

• Location: Spencer,Owen,IN
Good "Faster than Satellite, good coverage, reliable"
Bad "dropped signals occasionally, multiple dowloads can cause hangs"
Overall "Great service for those unable to get cable or dsl & wanting faster than Dial up"

In tests I can get 675 down and 125 up which is good but not stellar. Real world applications will still average 450down and 115 up which in comparison to satellite internet is good. The streaming of files via satellite is very flaky whereas the verizon wireless seems steady. Now that Verizon has expanded their Broadband coverage area substancially it is a very good option for those wanting faster internet but can't get DSL or cable. Unfortunately Verizon makes you sign a 1yr contract even if you already have the equipment however that's still better than satellite. It does have latency much like the satellite services but overall is a much more consistent data rate with more reliable service. They do limit you to 5GB per month before slowing you down. In comparison to Satellite internet that is still a blessing being that hughes limits you to 200mb per day so even at max rate that's only 6GB per month but a whole lot less frustrating if you just need to download a few large files occasionally. The disadvantage is that Verizon is not an always on service so you need to wait to connect each time which also makes it harder to share over networked pc's.

Comments:

Review by BioGeek See Profile

• Location: West Orange,Essex,NJ
Good "Reasonably fast internet on the go. Greater flexibility for use than WiFi"
Bad "Need to have a decent cell signal for broadband access"
Overall "Excellent web surfing on the go!"
(ratings well above consensus)

We have a BroadbandAccess plan on a Verizon Wireless AirCard® 595U USB Modem Rev. A. This system gets used for remote credit card transaction for weekend craft shows and general web surfing when on the go and WiFi, ethernet, etc. are not available. It works well. Using the external antenna for the 595U we get access with a lower than expected signal, however, the signal still has to be pretty decent for broadband level access. Even with a weak signal you can get slow web surfing, which is better than nothing. Overall, a fine system for mobile web.

Comments:

Review by pwngsd See Profile

• Location: Smithfield,Isle Of Wight,VA
Good "Excellent Connection: Excellent Coverage: Great Speed"
Overall "This is good value for those with limited options"

My two options SAT or Cell Broadband.
I have used HughesNet (DirecWay) for 4 years.
The VerizonWireless Broadband EVDO RevA BLOWS AWAY Hughes.
I have used a VW modem for work for several years (actually I had 80 in service in a Law Enforcement agency. They service was always flawless. When EVDO Rev A expanded to my area I quickly dumped the SAT and switched over my personal INet connection to Verizon Wireless. My speeds are greatly enhanced over the HughesNet. I would HIGHLY reccomend Verizon Wireless broadband as long as you can get the EVDO REV A signal. If you are really desperate, the National Access connection at approx 100K is still much better than dialup!
BTW, I have a 15% discount on access with a special program VW offers government employees. I have two modems the V740 express card and the newer USB modem with battery boost (AC 595U)
I have also used the V720, 595 pc card, and the 720 usb, and the original 620 and 555 pc cards all with great results.

Signal and speed:
1 bar consistant 1 meg down and 1/2 meg up. I am just outside the listed fringe area. I get higher speeds with less errors as the signal increases (laptop in town)
I have ordered the Gemini dual band repeater that will hopefully increase signal strength and speed. Will know the results in a couple of weeks.

Paul

• Location: New Iberia,Iberia,LA
Good "Just works amazingly well. When in a revision a area, it's generally as fast as AT&T DSL"
Bad "Broadband speeds are still only available in larger cities"
Overall "Can be productive almost anywhere, even where Broadband speed is not available"

Concidered AT&T, but Broadband Coverage didn't come close to VZ in my area. Only negative was created by my haste. The wireless card I wanted was not in stock, and I ended up with the new (smaller) USB Verizon model (with built in Micro SD drive). It works great, and has the added benefit of working with all my computers, but it sticks out pretty far, and can get in the way. Could have gotten what I wanted in two days, but needed the service for a business trip.

I shopped at two Verizon company stores, and the sales help was clueless and the manager at one of them lied his but off thinking I was as clueless as his salesman. Ended up at an independant store who while not expert, was very helpful and forthright.

(review was emailed from domain cox.net)

Comments:

Review by bladeslap See Profile

• Location: Piscataway,Middlesex,NJ
Good "Outstanding Speed"
Bad "Not available in all areas, but growing quickly"
Overall "Outstanding if you need to be connected all the time - Invaluable"

I can't emphasize enough, if you have not optimized your Laptop (MTU 1500 and RWIN 65535), you will NOT come even close to getting peak performance out of any of the broadband providers. Before I made the changes to my registry (there's a program out there that does that called Dr. TCP, I was getting around 900-950 download and about 200 upoad. When I made the changed to the TCP Receive Window (65,536) and forced the MTU (maximum transmission unit) to 1500, my speeds more than doubled. In here in Boston on Newberry street and am getting 2250 Download and 230-250 upload. My low speed has been around 1300. Of course, I did get the 2250 when i had 5 bars and was fairly close to the cell site i'm sure...but I never even got remotely close to that before I made the changes.

Moral of the story? Make sure your PC is optimized by changing those two values and you'l l see great performance.

Ok, as far as Verizon goes, most places you visit in the country seem to already be EVDO Rev. A, so the high speed should work in most places without a problem. I have no complaints about the service. I love the fact I don't have to get onto any more hotspots in airports and can use this without any interruption, extra charges, or risk of someone sniffing my packets on a public wi-fi spot. Only negative thing is it doesn't work international...that's where the AT&T package seems to shine a bit better. But, most people would prefer that far better coverage of the Verizon service in the U.S.

Comments:

Review by robertsoj See Profile

• Location: Glendale,Maricopa,AZ
Good "Convenient - never need rely on wifi. 1.5MBS download is standard."
Bad "Connection can drop if you haunch over your laptop."
Overall "If you need wireless internet, this is how to do it."

Bought the service in July 2005, using the PC5740. I had orig wanted a Sierra Wireless 575 as they always allow a remote antenna jack, but the 5740 has an excellent antenna for being internal-only.

* GUI is very easy to understand. You don't need the owner's manual to install and use.

* VZW is excellent coverage here in central Arizona. Your area may vary, but the CDMA2000 network is very well built out here.

* If you run a laptop from a car or near a building's window, you'll almost always get 4/4 bars. I worked for Alcatel-Lucent Tech in a building with metal grids, cable plenums, all bathing in RF from literally thousands of computers and the PC5740 pulled in a usable 2/4 bar signal strength -- better than most cell phones I could use.

* Signal isn't always good however. If you're in a marginal area, you will have to be careful how close you sit to the laptop, as your body will shield the antenna, slowing or interrupting the signal.

* Wifi tends to be cheap or free in many shops, so it may be better for many, but this modem frees you up. All that matters is whether Verizon has 2.5/3G coverage. The modem will work for 1G too, but you will feel like you're back on 56K modems.

* Typically downloads are 1.5Mbps, uploads around 150Kbps. I actually turned-off my Cox cable modem for 2 years as the speed difference, while somewhat noticeable, was not large for what I did - surfing, email and some research. This was my sole internet provider for that time. Only when downloading something like SP2 from Microsoft did I miss cable's 6Mbps in our local area.

* At the time, regular price was 79.99/mo for unlimited use, but a 24 month contract got 59.99/mo. Now 59.99/mo seems to be all VZW advertises (perhaps though a 24 month contract is still required?) In case you're wondering, the $61/month is with fees and taxes, which only add about 1 dollar/month.

* I would recommend the unlimited data package. My surfing and new home office business had variable use, but I easily used 150MB per month, sometimes 250MB per month. You don't want to be paying by the megabyte with this service. I have since turned cable back on, but I still use 25-50MB per month with Verizon while on the go.

* I use the PC5740 modem on an HP ze5400 laptop, where the PCMCIA card is toward the right, front side. This puts the modem near my knee. I'm a telecomm eng. and have studied SAR on and off for several years, and I would swear that after a few hours, I could sense my knee 'tingling'. I won't launch into a dissertation on Specific Absorption Rate here, but suffice to say that 2.4GHz RF has only been swimming around in our homes for about 7 years now. You might want to consider using any type of equipment like this for long periods of time close to your body.

In summary, it should tell you something that I made this my primary ISP for all purposes for 2 years. If you need on-the-go internet, and can afford $60/month, you will get a decent, quality system to use, but like anything wireless, it is not going to match the performance of wired access for what you spend. Again, depending on CDMA2000 coverage in your area, signals will vary...most major cities in the US have Broadband wireless though.

Comments:

Review by bljerk See Profile

• Location: Budd Lake,Morris,NJ
Good "In some areas I have gotten close to T1 speeds !"
Bad "None, yet..."
Overall "Great for mobile and backup network with a Moble Router"

I am using a Verizon PC5750 card (EDVO rev A) for the ability to show clients sites / and I work out of the office often. I also use it for a workgroup using a Kyocera K1 mobile router so I can be outside the clients firewall-great for setting up VPNs. Often the speeds I get are better than what the clients have available. I consistently get speeds better than 700 k downloads. I have used Cingular before and I would never go back…

Comments:

Review by jefflaur See Profile

• Location: Franklin,Macon,NC
Good "Unbelieveable up and down speeds"
Bad "Dropouts in bad weather.."
Overall "Best PCMCIA card wireless ever (Sierra AC595)"

Needed a solid wireless connection with "reasonable speed" for what I was sold, I am MOST impressed..FAR superior to the much more pricey DataStorm satellite system in our RV. Thanks Verizon..Can you hear me now?