Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by bigdawwg See Profile

• Location: Newton,Newton,TX
Good "Low latency, decent reliable speeds, no rain fade-outs, good price"
Bad "Low to medium signal strength, speeds could be better."
Overall "Good reliable connection at a good price."

I was reluctant to order the broadband access package because of the distance from my residence to the tower. I did a lot of research, and decided to give it a try since Verizon offered a 30 trial. I have noticed that on a couple occasions, bad weather seemed to have an effect on my signal strength, but it wasn't that bad.

I now have passed my 30 day trial, and decided to keep the service. I am using a Wilson Omni antenna, and recently ordered a Wilson 811210 Amplifier. I was doing ok, with 2 bars of Broadband Access Rev A, but figured I could get more signal with the booster. I will update my review after I have had my amplifier for a few days.

member for 13.1 years, 1602 visits, last login: 2.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by flyingroach See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "slightly stronger signal in some areas of NYC and upstate NY"
Bad "Big $, slower then my Sprint treo teathered"

Verizon BlackBerry 8830, usb teather (no Bluetooth DUN? looks like) using Vista Business Not Rev A and it seems slower most times. The Rev A usb modem works faster in my area

Comments:

Review by DonG4 See Profile

• Location: Calhan,El Paso,CO
Good "Easy setup"
Bad "Slow speeds"
Overall "Not worth $90 a month!"

Verizon Wireless UM150 USB modem. The basic service is $59.99 per month, but other charges, taxes, etc. bring the cost for service to between $85 and $90 per month with a two-year contract.

The sales person on the phone told me I should get 800 kbps to 1.4 mbps download speeds. I was really looking forward to this as my present FairPoint DSL service is terrible here, about 50 miles east of Colorado Springs, Colorado.

However, what I actually GET with the Verizon Wireless modem is 200 kbps to 540 kbps. The lower speeds being east coast, and the higher speeds being west coast. Very disappointing.

Sent an e-mail to the sales person and never got a reply. Sent an e-mail to tech support and it took them two days to reply. None of their suggestions helped. So, it looks like I'll be taking them up on their 30-day return policy.

Comments:

Review by linuxboy86 See Profile

• Location: Tyler,Smith,TX
Good "usable speed; has a point of presence in many rural areas"
Bad "terrible AUP. P2P forbidden; streaming forbidden (but not blocked); monthly bandwidth caps"
Overall "it was pretty much the only game in town for me"

I live in a rural area where dial up was pretty much my option (short of satellite). Then I discovered Verizon had EVDO in my area. I have to say, after dial up, I am pretty happy with it. The monthly download cap sucks, but I watch my totals and just have to be reasonable. (I have friends mail me copies of the latest Fedora distros!)

My one complaint on the order process was that it is impossible to order from Verizon Wireless without giving them your SSN. I tried every avenue I could imagine -- even trying to pay a deposit -- and they just wont do it. But again, seeing as it was pretty much my only option, I caved.

Also, for linux geeks (or those of you with multiple computers) there are several EVDO routers out there, making this feel like a real internet connection.

Comments:

Review by sjwoods See Profile

• Location: Valley Park,Saint Louis,MO
Good "Easy to Install USB device and Device Manager Software"
Bad "None so Far"
Overall "USB 720 device works on PC (XP) and MAC flawlessly"

This package is titled BROADBANDACCESS FOR BUSINESS
It is a package consisting of:
1 fully discounted Verizon Novatel USB 720 Digital Modem
Monthly $46.00 Flat fee (Unlimited access) for Data and Text Message

Good 600/500 MBit performance (in my Basement!)

Up and running in less than two minutes
No waiting for activation - Just Plug in and Go

Device is small and compact and USB works on any Computer that I own
If I had got the PC Card then I would be limiting my options.

Delivered Overnight from FEDEX

Comments:

Review by MmmMan See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "can use my laptop anywhere now, for the $ should have gotten their card"
Bad "slower then i though, had to rewrite the cdma1x driver for vista by hand"
Overall "once i decided to really work on hooking up it took an hour of work"

I use a HTC VX-6700 Mobile 5 ppc phone, which i still like but wish i had more installed flash and a bigger flash card limit (only 1 gig) yeah i can buy the next model but $600 doesn't grow on trees. video is great, 1.3 meg camera interlaced for 2 meg is good.

I first had a family plan and only added the data plan 10 days ago so the real price is $30 for unlimited data on top of the family phone charges.

The tech support really did not know how to tether the phone properly to the PC by USB. The driver did not work for vista and the new driver they gave me said the cdma1x driver could not be found. I had downloaded CDMA1x_USB_Modem.INF from »pdaphonehome.com/forums/attachme···odem.zip renamed the INF file to CDMA1X and then opened the INF in notepad searched CDMA and changed it to CDMA1X. then no problem updating the driver. There is more info at »pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6700···sta.html where i got the inf file i updated. It comes with both the soft modem and treo as modem connections.

Comments:

Review by jonboi78 See Profile

• Location: Franklin,Heard,GA
Good "Best broadband option if DSL and cable aren't in your area"
Bad "For 59.99, the service should be unlimited, not 5 GB a month"
Overall "For people in outlying areas w/ no DSL or Cable, and you are in an EVDO coverage area, this is better than satellite"

I was previously a customer with Sprint's wireless broadband. I live about an hour outside of Atlanta and neither cable or DSL are available where I live. Prior to signing up with Sprint, I had service with HughesNet Satellite. Wireless Broadband EVDO is so much better. After about 6 months with Sprint our service dropped back to almost dial up speeds. Sprint's customer service wasn't helpful, stating that highspeed coverage was never available in my area. Verizon didn't service my area 6 months prior, but they do now. I have been with Verizon now for almost a month. The tested download speeds from Verizon were similar to what I got from Sprint, maybe a tad slower, but not at all noticeable. The biggest disappointment for me was that Verizon doesn't offer an unlimited usage plan. I pay $59.99 for 5 GB monthly. This might be plenty of usage depending on how you use the service, but as my source of internet at my home, shared between 3 PC's, and I do some computer support work from home part time, I have to be very aware of my usage. That's the only complaint that I have. I hope Verizon realizes that if they offer an unlimited plan to consumers like me, they will see just as many customers if not more, than the business traveler. I purchased a USB modem in the store, which was very easy to install. I'm always pleased with the service I receive at my local Verizon store. I already had cell service with them and just added another line. Overall, I'm very pleased with the service, just hope they reconsider not offering an unlimited plan.

Comments:

Review by EBlonde See Profile

• Location: Grover Beach,San Luis Obispo,CA
Good "Being Able To Be Online Wherever You Have Cell Phone Service."
Bad "$59.99 / Month"
Overall "If you're a Mobile PC Tech or Mobile Alot It's Worth It."

If you're a Mobile PC Tech or Mobile Alot It's Worth It.

member for 6 years, 0 visits, last login: 6 years ago

Comments:

Review by rbyoung See Profile

• Location: Hopkins,Hennepin,MN
Good "Generally good coverage and excellent support"
Bad "If your too high in a building you may see "too many" towers"
Overall "Not bad but its entirely location dependent."

In less dense areas the wireless card has performed amazingly, sometimes up to 4 mb down and 1 mb up... that totally goes out the window when I am in a heavily populated area then things slow to about 30-100K down and 200K up. I have also had numerous problems when working in a tall building of the card seeing too many towers and switching the connection trying to do better when in fact it slows things to a crawl. The good news is Verizon has trouble shot the heck out of it and as we speak I am waiting for a network engineer to look at my specific location so major KUDOS for trying and great customer support... but for wireless to replace wired or even be a super reliable mobile source it has a bit to go. If you are in a location that you will usualy use it try the 30 test drive and if it works you will love it. But f you are highly mobile be prepared for some level of frustration, but again they have really exceeded my expetations for customer support.

member for 13 years, 280 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by mholowka

• Location: Middletown,New Castle,DE
Good "speed"
Bad "reliability"
Overall "still wondering if I will keep it or give it back"

I got this thing and download speed was over 500K until outside humidity was around 100% or in rain. I'm still wondering if I am going to keep it or give it back at the end of my month trial period.

(review was emailed from domain earthlink.net)