Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by jfiske See Profile

• Location: Flemington,Hunterdon,NJ
Good "Pretty Darn Acceptable Performance, Mac Friendly"
Bad "$59 / month"
Overall "If you travel and need access to corporate resources while on the road this is good"

I travel for work in the NYC, NJ, PA and DC area and I often need to get access to my corporate email and CRM system. For years I've been stopping into Starbucks or Borders for the horror show that is TMobile.

This is my first day and I find the service OK... but expensive.

More to follow.

Comments:

Review by Gregg K16 See Profile

• Location: Mendocino,Mendocino,CA
Good "Coverage in rural area"
Bad "5 Gigabyte monthly maximum download."
Overall "5 Gig per month kills it. But Hughes is worse, so I may have to go Verizon."

5 Gig per month kills it. But Hughes is worse, so I may have to go Verizon.

Comments:

Review by dogtired1278 See Profile

• Location: Beaumont,Jefferson,TX
Good "It has worked like a Charm so far, Only had it 2.5 months"
Bad "None as yet"

I ordered my USB Broadband online. While I have only had it for a little over two months It was easy to install and has worked like a champ every time I use it. While the ads seem to say it is unlimited service for around 54.00 I did see that the service is limited to 4g per month. That is not bad for just surfing the web, but if you were to do a lot of downloads it could start adding up after the 4gig.

Comments:

Review by CFDFF339 See Profile

• Location: Cumberland Center,Cumberland,ME
Good "Reliable, Portable, Good Speed, Safer than wifi hotspots"
Bad "Coverage is not universal, and can vary in rural settings"
Overall "I would hate to live without it. It turns unproductive wait times into good time use."

I’ve been using Verizon’s online services since they first started their “1xRTT” network. I’ve progressed to EV-DO rev 0 with the Sierra Wireless card, moved to the internal Dell 5700 mini card and now to the Dell 5720 Rev-A card. I’m also a network and software developer.

The internal cards from Dell are nice because I don’t worry about snapping off the card jutting out the laptop; but the software for them isn’t quite as good as Verizon’s.

*** The following is somewhat out of date ***

If I don’t shut down the connection and exit the connection software when I hibernate the laptop, often I can’t use the card again until I reboot. This is getting better with subsequent updates, but its not perfect yet.

---------------------------------------------------------- Updated 6/7/2008 -------------------------

*** There is a new version of this software from Dell, however it isn't listed as an update for the D820 laptop I have. It is, however, listed for the D830. I installed the update anyway given that the hardware is essentially the same. It works like a champ ****

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Although these cards connect to antennas built into the frame of the laptop, reception does not appear to be any better than using the slot on demand cards.

Overall, using EV-DO from Verizon Wireless is excellent. The “real speed” that you feel when you’re using it is comparable to a home DSL connection. I’ve tested in many hotel rooms, and usually the EV-DO from Verizon performs better than the hotel network connection.

Rev-0 EV-DO is like a low end DSL with speeds usually around 800kbps download and only 60kbps upload. Moving to Rev-A is awesome, as the download speed tend to average closer to 1000kbps and the upload speeds are much better. I know I’m seeing over 120kbps and I think I may be seeing as much as 400+ some times (not enough info yet).

I travel, and being able to open the laptop in any cab, airport waiting room, lobby, restaurant, or whatever and never have to pay the extortion for a hotspot is sweet. Its just “there”. It is much cheaper to pay the monthly fee to Verizon than pay in each hotel or hotspot and it is much more universally available. It is also nice to know what I’m connecting to. I don’t like to hunt down open hotspots because you don’t know who’s using them to capture data.

The best thing is the hundreds of hours spent waiting for my kids at one soccer practice or another; while I’m just there with nothing to do for two hours (they don’t like parents at the practices to be involved). Open the laptop and I’ve got DSL speeds.

Comments:

Review by clementw See Profile

• Location: Cocoa,Brevard,FL
Good "easey setup"
Bad "monthly cap"
Overall "wast of money, go with one of the other wireless providers"

Tried Verizon(2007) but they dropped me without warning while i was transferring my email off of my home server to Gmail. They just cut it off and dropped a letter in snailmail. It took a couple of phone calls for them to tell me, we're canceling you because you actually use it.

Comments:

Review by bigdawwg See Profile

• Location: Newton,Newton,TX
Good "Low latency, decent reliable speeds, no rain fade-outs, good price"
Bad "Low to medium signal strength, speeds could be better."
Overall "Good reliable connection at a good price."

I was reluctant to order the broadband access package because of the distance from my residence to the tower. I did a lot of research, and decided to give it a try since Verizon offered a 30 trial. I have noticed that on a couple occasions, bad weather seemed to have an effect on my signal strength, but it wasn't that bad.

I now have passed my 30 day trial, and decided to keep the service. I am using a Wilson Omni antenna, and recently ordered a Wilson 811210 Amplifier. I was doing ok, with 2 bars of Broadband Access Rev A, but figured I could get more signal with the booster. I will update my review after I have had my amplifier for a few days.

member for 13.3 years, 1602 visits, last login: 2.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by flyingroach See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "slightly stronger signal in some areas of NYC and upstate NY"
Bad "Big $, slower then my Sprint treo teathered"

Verizon BlackBerry 8830, usb teather (no Bluetooth DUN? looks like) using Vista Business Not Rev A and it seems slower most times. The Rev A usb modem works faster in my area

member for 10.6 years, 1205 visits, last login: 192 days ago

Comments:

Review by DonG4 See Profile

• Location: Calhan,El Paso,CO
Good "Easy setup"
Bad "Slow speeds"
Overall "Not worth $90 a month!"

Verizon Wireless UM150 USB modem. The basic service is $59.99 per month, but other charges, taxes, etc. bring the cost for service to between $85 and $90 per month with a two-year contract.

The sales person on the phone told me I should get 800 kbps to 1.4 mbps download speeds. I was really looking forward to this as my present FairPoint DSL service is terrible here, about 50 miles east of Colorado Springs, Colorado.

However, what I actually GET with the Verizon Wireless modem is 200 kbps to 540 kbps. The lower speeds being east coast, and the higher speeds being west coast. Very disappointing.

Sent an e-mail to the sales person and never got a reply. Sent an e-mail to tech support and it took them two days to reply. None of their suggestions helped. So, it looks like I'll be taking them up on their 30-day return policy.

Comments:

Review by linuxboy86 See Profile

• Location: Tyler,Smith,TX
Good "usable speed; has a point of presence in many rural areas"
Bad "terrible AUP. P2P forbidden; streaming forbidden (but not blocked); monthly bandwidth caps"
Overall "it was pretty much the only game in town for me"

I live in a rural area where dial up was pretty much my option (short of satellite). Then I discovered Verizon had EVDO in my area. I have to say, after dial up, I am pretty happy with it. The monthly download cap sucks, but I watch my totals and just have to be reasonable. (I have friends mail me copies of the latest Fedora distros!)

My one complaint on the order process was that it is impossible to order from Verizon Wireless without giving them your SSN. I tried every avenue I could imagine -- even trying to pay a deposit -- and they just wont do it. But again, seeing as it was pretty much my only option, I caved.

Also, for linux geeks (or those of you with multiple computers) there are several EVDO routers out there, making this feel like a real internet connection.

Comments:

Review by sjwoods See Profile

• Location: Valley Park,Saint Louis,MO
Good "Easy to Install USB device and Device Manager Software"
Bad "None so Far"
Overall "USB 720 device works on PC (XP) and MAC flawlessly"

This package is titled BROADBANDACCESS FOR BUSINESS
It is a package consisting of:
1 fully discounted Verizon Novatel USB 720 Digital Modem
Monthly $46.00 Flat fee (Unlimited access) for Data and Text Message

Good 600/500 MBit performance (in my Basement!)

Up and running in less than two minutes
No waiting for activation - Just Plug in and Go

Device is small and compact and USB works on any Computer that I own
If I had got the PC Card then I would be limiting my options.

Delivered Overnight from FEDEX