Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by GmanX See Profile

• Location: Louisa,Louisa,VA
Good "Better than Dailup"
Bad "Price for speed"
Overall "Better than nothing"

Out in the country, you take what you can get. After trying to get anything other than dial up, This is all I could get. Speed is mediocre. Its easy to install. Too bad you have to install Verizon access Manager application. But you can take it anywhere in the Verzion network. If I had another option I would definitely pursue it.

Comments:

Review by Brianguy See Profile

• Location: Laguna Hills,Orange,CA
Good "Great for surfing the net"
Bad "Horrible for anything but web surfing"
Overall "It's better than most other services"

I got the v740 card for .01 at amazon with 2yr contract. I get bad reception at my work but it still works fine for general web surfing. With full reception, you can watch streaming videos just fine. I noticed during peak hours the speeds decrease somewhat. I tried playing online games but it's a little laggy and i disconnect after a while.

Comments:

Review by mg43066 See Profile

• Location: Radnor,Delaware,OH
Good "Better and cheaper than satellite"
Bad "5 GB Limit"
Overall "Best thing available at this time"

Better and cheaper than satellite

After trying satellite, I gave Verizon Wireless EVDO a try. I had 1-2 bars of signal strength but I purchased antenna that connected to my EVDO card. The Antenna sits right on my desk. And believe me the EVDO service is MUCH better. You may not see much of a difference in download speed tests with satellite but the latency is so much better with EVDO. Browsing the web and doing email is a pleasure now compared to the clunky Hughsnet service I had. I was paying $74 a month for Hughsnet and my $60 a month service with Verizon Wireless is better. Plus, you don't have to put a big dish in your yard that can get knocked and may need to be re-adjusted.

If you decide to give EVDO a try, make sure you get a card that is REV A. REV 0 is the previous generation and the upload speeds are slow. Unfortunately, I can’t play games on EVDO because the latency is still too high. But, I’d never go back to Satellite after trying it.

If you don’t have any broadband options like DSL and cable, take a look at EVDO. It’s cheaper that Satellite and faster. I just wish they didn't cap you at 5 GB per month.

Comments:

Review by sconrad See Profile

• Location: Spencer,Owen,IN
Good "Faster than Satellite, good coverage, reliable"
Bad "dropped signals occasionally, multiple dowloads can cause hangs"
Overall "Great service for those unable to get cable or dsl & wanting faster than Dial up"

In tests I can get 675 down and 125 up which is good but not stellar. Real world applications will still average 450down and 115 up which in comparison to satellite internet is good. The streaming of files via satellite is very flaky whereas the verizon wireless seems steady. Now that Verizon has expanded their Broadband coverage area substancially it is a very good option for those wanting faster internet but can't get DSL or cable. Unfortunately Verizon makes you sign a 1yr contract even if you already have the equipment however that's still better than satellite. It does have latency much like the satellite services but overall is a much more consistent data rate with more reliable service. They do limit you to 5GB per month before slowing you down. In comparison to Satellite internet that is still a blessing being that hughes limits you to 200mb per day so even at max rate that's only 6GB per month but a whole lot less frustrating if you just need to download a few large files occasionally. The disadvantage is that Verizon is not an always on service so you need to wait to connect each time which also makes it harder to share over networked pc's.

Comments:

Review by jcoltz See Profile

• Location: Boyers,Butler,PA
Good "For us rural users it can deliver true broadband."
Bad "High Cost, 5 gig limit"
Overall "Beats dial up and satellite. Would rather have dsl or cable"

Had Direcway for two years. Contemplated Wildblue. Been on dial up for the last year or so. Speed averages about 600 down 300 up for my location and signal strength. Latency is not noticeable. Speed tends to go up and down even during longer downloads and is directly related to the signal strength I receive.

Haven't had a need to contact tech support.

member for 10.5 years, 269 visits, last login: 5.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by Aerv0 See Profile

• Location: Mira Loma,Riverside,CA
Good "Mobile connectivity anywhere you can get a signal"
Bad "No signal in the places I use it most (Home/work)"
Overall "If you can get DSL/Cable/Fios, get it and forget this."

I've searched every option for the area I live in, and this is all I can get. No DSL/Cable, phone lines are horrible in the area, so I've been using this for about a year and a half now. I MUST use an antenna to even get enough signal to connect, and it's still pretty horrible. (-91 dBm) Also, pay attention to the fine print, the "unlimited" is only 5GB per month.

Also, the tech support is horrible, they work through your computer first and won't believe it is an error on their side even though VZAccess Manager says it is.

If you live in an area that has good cell service, it is incredibly fast with Rev-A, I've gotten up to 8mbps download, but when it's bad it's very bad.

Comments:

Review by Fulltiming See Profile

• Location: Livingston,Polk,TX
Good "Reasonably fast in Broadband coverage areas"
Bad "Extrememly slow outside of Broadband coverage areas"
Overall "Not a bad choice where DSL or cable is not available"

I have used Verizon Broadband Access in my motorcoach for two years. I recently upgraded from a Kyocera 650 card (non Rev A) to a USB720 modem which is Rev A. At night I get better speeds with Rev A but during the day, congestion frequently results in similar speeds to the non-Rev A card.

In major population centers where Broadband Access is available I routinely see 850 kbps down and 450 kbps up during the day and 1200 down and 450 up at night. In less populated areas where only National Access is available, the service is slightly better than dial-up, with speeds of about 90 down and 50 up. Since I spend some time in rural areas of the western U.S., I find areas where there is no service at all. Fortunately, I have two other means of accessing the internet when I am on the road, WiFi and Hughes satellite internet.

Installation is easy and with the use of an outside antenna, service is generally good. The ability to use the connection in a moving vehicle is a plus but results in increased signal dropouts, especially outside of major metropolitian areas. Mountainous areas can also result in numerous dead spots.

The 5 gig/month download limit can be a problem if you have major Windows or Office service packs to download but routine internet use will keep you comfortably under the limit. With any service that utilizes cell towers or satellite, some type of limit on up/download becomes necessary to keep the service available at a reasonable price. Comparing internet connections over cell towers to hardwired internet connections is not reasonable. IF a hardwired broadband connection is available it will generally be a more cost effective answer.

member for 10.2 years, 336 visits, last login: 5.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by LordTroan See Profile

• Location: Newsoms,Southampton,VA
Good "Better speed then dialup, Better ping then satellite"
Bad "5GB limit, times out on heavy load, disconnects itself on certain programs"
Overall "Get Sprint's Wireless"

After hearing about EVDO being in my area, I rushed out to buy it. I didn't find this out from the coverage maps, according to it I couldn't get EVDO. The salesperson did not mention things like the 5GB limit even tho advertised as "unlimited", which turns out to be unlimited connection because they limit your connection speed to 200kbs after going over the limit. Setup was easy, install software, insert USB modem. I got a good three bars,avg about 500kbs down 200kbs up, it wobbles all they way up to 1mbs down for a little while. Ping is around 110ms. It is a big advantage over dialup and has less ping problems as satellite. I use it for FPS's, me and a friend can play online sharing the connection without too many problems. Sometimes the connection likes to time out for up to a minute saying its connected but sending less then a kbs. Verizon will purposely kill my connection when trying to play certain games even on LAN(AoE3 and CoH only games so far I noticed this with) they will also kill your connection after 24 hours. Sprint has no 5GB limit, they also to my knowledge do not have the gaming issues, if you can, go with them.

Comments:

Review by cmattax See Profile

• Location: Manakin Sabot,Goochland,VA
Good "Ease of setup. When it works, it works well."
Bad "Regardless of signal strength, transmission speeds vary widely from minute to minute."
Overall "Stick with dial-up, if that is your only choice."

·Millenicom
USB720 modem. We are two miles from Verizon tower and only use it from our home. Horrible customer service, no base level of service agreement, poor transmission speeds even when signal strength is at maximum. Can be slower than dial-up one minute and as fast as DSL the next.

Comments:

Review by BioGeek See Profile

• Location: West Orange,Essex,NJ
Good "Reasonably fast internet on the go. Greater flexibility for use than WiFi"
Bad "Need to have a decent cell signal for broadband access"
Overall "Excellent web surfing on the go!"
(ratings well above consensus)

We have a BroadbandAccess plan on a Verizon Wireless AirCard® 595U USB Modem Rev. A. This system gets used for remote credit card transaction for weekend craft shows and general web surfing when on the go and WiFi, ethernet, etc. are not available. It works well. Using the external antenna for the 595U we get access with a lower than expected signal, however, the signal still has to be pretty decent for broadband level access. Even with a weak signal you can get slow web surfing, which is better than nothing. Overall, a fine system for mobile web.