Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by MmmMan See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "can use my laptop anywhere now, for the $ should have gotten their card"
Bad "slower then i though, had to rewrite the cdma1x driver for vista by hand"
Overall "once i decided to really work on hooking up it took an hour of work"

I use a HTC VX-6700 Mobile 5 ppc phone, which i still like but wish i had more installed flash and a bigger flash card limit (only 1 gig) yeah i can buy the next model but $600 doesn't grow on trees. video is great, 1.3 meg camera interlaced for 2 meg is good.

I first had a family plan and only added the data plan 10 days ago so the real price is $30 for unlimited data on top of the family phone charges.

The tech support really did not know how to tether the phone properly to the PC by USB. The driver did not work for vista and the new driver they gave me said the cdma1x driver could not be found. I had downloaded CDMA1x_USB_Modem.INF from »pdaphonehome.com/forums/attachme···odem.zip renamed the INF file to CDMA1X and then opened the INF in notepad searched CDMA and changed it to CDMA1X. then no problem updating the driver. There is more info at »pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6700···sta.html where i got the inf file i updated. It comes with both the soft modem and treo as modem connections.

member for 7.5 years, 66 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by jonboi78 See Profile

• Location: Franklin,Heard,GA
Good "Best broadband option if DSL and cable aren't in your area"
Bad "For 59.99, the service should be unlimited, not 5 GB a month"
Overall "For people in outlying areas w/ no DSL or Cable, and you are in an EVDO coverage area, this is better than satellite"

I was previously a customer with Sprint's wireless broadband. I live about an hour outside of Atlanta and neither cable or DSL are available where I live. Prior to signing up with Sprint, I had service with HughesNet Satellite. Wireless Broadband EVDO is so much better. After about 6 months with Sprint our service dropped back to almost dial up speeds. Sprint's customer service wasn't helpful, stating that highspeed coverage was never available in my area. Verizon didn't service my area 6 months prior, but they do now. I have been with Verizon now for almost a month. The tested download speeds from Verizon were similar to what I got from Sprint, maybe a tad slower, but not at all noticeable. The biggest disappointment for me was that Verizon doesn't offer an unlimited usage plan. I pay $59.99 for 5 GB monthly. This might be plenty of usage depending on how you use the service, but as my source of internet at my home, shared between 3 PC's, and I do some computer support work from home part time, I have to be very aware of my usage. That's the only complaint that I have. I hope Verizon realizes that if they offer an unlimited plan to consumers like me, they will see just as many customers if not more, than the business traveler. I purchased a USB modem in the store, which was very easy to install. I'm always pleased with the service I receive at my local Verizon store. I already had cell service with them and just added another line. Overall, I'm very pleased with the service, just hope they reconsider not offering an unlimited plan.

Comments:

Review by EBlonde See Profile

• Location: Grover Beach,San Luis Obispo,CA
Good "Being Able To Be Online Wherever You Have Cell Phone Service."
Bad "$59.99 / Month"
Overall "If you're a Mobile PC Tech or Mobile Alot It's Worth It."

If you're a Mobile PC Tech or Mobile Alot It's Worth It.

Comments:

Review by rbyoung See Profile

• Location: Hopkins,Hennepin,MN
Good "Generally good coverage and excellent support"
Bad "If your too high in a building you may see "too many" towers"
Overall "Not bad but its entirely location dependent."

In less dense areas the wireless card has performed amazingly, sometimes up to 4 mb down and 1 mb up... that totally goes out the window when I am in a heavily populated area then things slow to about 30-100K down and 200K up. I have also had numerous problems when working in a tall building of the card seeing too many towers and switching the connection trying to do better when in fact it slows things to a crawl. The good news is Verizon has trouble shot the heck out of it and as we speak I am waiting for a network engineer to look at my specific location so major KUDOS for trying and great customer support... but for wireless to replace wired or even be a super reliable mobile source it has a bit to go. If you are in a location that you will usualy use it try the 30 test drive and if it works you will love it. But f you are highly mobile be prepared for some level of frustration, but again they have really exceeded my expetations for customer support.

Comments:

Review by mholowka

• Location: Middletown,New Castle,DE
Good "speed"
Bad "reliability"
Overall "still wondering if I will keep it or give it back"

I got this thing and download speed was over 500K until outside humidity was around 100% or in rain. I'm still wondering if I am going to keep it or give it back at the end of my month trial period.

(review was emailed from domain earthlink.net)

Comments:

Review by GmanX See Profile

• Location: Louisa,Louisa,VA
Good "Better than Dailup"
Bad "Price for speed"
Overall "Better than nothing"

Out in the country, you take what you can get. After trying to get anything other than dial up, This is all I could get. Speed is mediocre. Its easy to install. Too bad you have to install Verizon access Manager application. But you can take it anywhere in the Verzion network. If I had another option I would definitely pursue it.

Comments:

Review by Brianguy See Profile

• Location: Laguna Hills,Orange,CA
Good "Great for surfing the net"
Bad "Horrible for anything but web surfing"
Overall "It's better than most other services"

I got the v740 card for .01 at amazon with 2yr contract. I get bad reception at my work but it still works fine for general web surfing. With full reception, you can watch streaming videos just fine. I noticed during peak hours the speeds decrease somewhat. I tried playing online games but it's a little laggy and i disconnect after a while.

Comments:

Review by mg43066 See Profile

• Location: Radnor,Delaware,OH
Good "Better and cheaper than satellite"
Bad "5 GB Limit"
Overall "Best thing available at this time"

Better and cheaper than satellite

After trying satellite, I gave Verizon Wireless EVDO a try. I had 1-2 bars of signal strength but I purchased antenna that connected to my EVDO card. The Antenna sits right on my desk. And believe me the EVDO service is MUCH better. You may not see much of a difference in download speed tests with satellite but the latency is so much better with EVDO. Browsing the web and doing email is a pleasure now compared to the clunky Hughsnet service I had. I was paying $74 a month for Hughsnet and my $60 a month service with Verizon Wireless is better. Plus, you don't have to put a big dish in your yard that can get knocked and may need to be re-adjusted.

If you decide to give EVDO a try, make sure you get a card that is REV A. REV 0 is the previous generation and the upload speeds are slow. Unfortunately, I can’t play games on EVDO because the latency is still too high. But, I’d never go back to Satellite after trying it.

If you don’t have any broadband options like DSL and cable, take a look at EVDO. It’s cheaper that Satellite and faster. I just wish they didn't cap you at 5 GB per month.

Comments:

Review by sconrad See Profile

• Location: Spencer,Owen,IN
Good "Faster than Satellite, good coverage, reliable"
Bad "dropped signals occasionally, multiple dowloads can cause hangs"
Overall "Great service for those unable to get cable or dsl & wanting faster than Dial up"

In tests I can get 675 down and 125 up which is good but not stellar. Real world applications will still average 450down and 115 up which in comparison to satellite internet is good. The streaming of files via satellite is very flaky whereas the verizon wireless seems steady. Now that Verizon has expanded their Broadband coverage area substancially it is a very good option for those wanting faster internet but can't get DSL or cable. Unfortunately Verizon makes you sign a 1yr contract even if you already have the equipment however that's still better than satellite. It does have latency much like the satellite services but overall is a much more consistent data rate with more reliable service. They do limit you to 5GB per month before slowing you down. In comparison to Satellite internet that is still a blessing being that hughes limits you to 200mb per day so even at max rate that's only 6GB per month but a whole lot less frustrating if you just need to download a few large files occasionally. The disadvantage is that Verizon is not an always on service so you need to wait to connect each time which also makes it harder to share over networked pc's.

Comments:

Review by jcoltz See Profile

• Location: Boyers,Butler,PA
Good "For us rural users it can deliver true broadband."
Bad "High Cost, 5 gig limit"
Overall "Beats dial up and satellite. Would rather have dsl or cable"

Had Direcway for two years. Contemplated Wildblue. Been on dial up for the last year or so. Speed averages about 600 down 300 up for my location and signal strength. Latency is not noticeable. Speed tends to go up and down even during longer downloads and is directly related to the signal strength I receive.

Haven't had a need to contact tech support.