Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by BioGeek See Profile

• Location: West Orange,Essex,NJ
Good "Notably fast internet on the go. Greater flexibility for use than WiFi"
Bad "LTE coverage and signal strength notably change speed and load times."
Overall "Excellent web surfing on the go!"

Update 6/13/14: We know use an LTE based system and the difference was night and day. LTE speeds make the wireless broadband seem so much more like a real home connection as compared the the previous system. Much like a cell phone, reception and speeds may vary. I don't rely on the connection, but I do use it when I am away from home and still need real access beyond what a smartphone provides. Happy with the 4G upgrade.

We have a BroadbandAccess plan on a Verizon Wireless AirCard® 595U USB Modem Rev. A. This system gets used for remote credit card transaction for weekend craft shows and general web surfing when on the go and WiFi, ethernet, etc. are not available. It works well. Using the external antenna for the 595U we get access with a lower than expected signal, however, the signal still has to be pretty decent for broadband level access. Even with a weak signal you can get slow web surfing, which is better than nothing. Overall, a fine system for mobile web.

Comments:

Review by benjamin5023 See Profile

• Location: Aylett,King William,VA
Bad "Their ability to meet the capacity needs of business customers is very poor."

·Verizon Broadban..
I have been fighting with vzw Verizon wireless for about six months. They have a tower that performs poorly in the evening due to poor capacity planning. Working with the Network Engineers requires an additional contract service for VPN. For Network or IT related customers, Verizon appears lacking in accountability, service reliability, and honesty. I hope get other service in my area in the next year or so. Another note: We have been with Verizon for over ten years, and have been pretty pleased with their phone services. However, when it comes to the 4G LTE network, it is like pulling teeth to get the service you need. I hope to see change in the future.

Comments:

Review by lucky178 See Profile

• Location: Coshocton,Coshocton,OH
Good "I got unlimited data long after verizon stopped offering it."
Bad "Not really worth the hassle being under an umbrella business plan"
Overall "I think i came out ahead."

I found e.w. wireless in june of 2013. I was tired of paying for overages on my limited plan. the employees were very polite during the sign up process. $99 (106.52 with taxes.)for unlimited everything. things were good until december. then I got a double bill with a late fee. I contacted them which took 3 days. they said the never got novembers payment. I checked my bank account and saw where the check had been return to my online banking Company, the reason was "returned to sender." it turns out that the p.o. box e.w. wireless used must have had problems. they (E.W. Wireless) waived the late fee. fast forward to this month May 2014, I received the bill with a letter stating my bill would go up to $130. effective in June 2014. the phone number that was provided on the letter. kept going straight to voice mail. I called the number that was on the regular bill, still no joy. I finally contacted them thru email at data@ewcommunications.net this is what I wrote.

"i have tried contacting you several times by phone and now by email. I received this months statement in the mail stating that my bill is going up to $130 I do not agree with this. I signed a contract for 2 years for $99 per month. if you are unwilling or unable to continue at that price, then I want out of the contract so I may continue other options for service."

With in 2 hours I received a call from one of the agents. I do not remember his name. he stated that Since they are raising the price that I could leave without a penalty. he offered to pay me for my phone number. i declined. he said the number would be release by the end of the day. I contacted verizon wireless 3 times that evening and the number had not been released. I called e.w. wireless back the next day. It took 3 times calling but finally spoke to Tyson. i told him what was going on. he was ok to speak with. but before he would do anything, he wanted to know if i would pay the outstanding balance. I told him they should have already received my payment on May 13. He put me on hold came back a minute later and stated they had not. I let him go and contacted my online bill pay company. they stated that they had not received the check back cashed or otherwise. I called Tyson back, I told him that the payment had been sent but not cashed. he asked me to cancel and pay over the phone. at that point, I understood they wouldn't release the number until they got payment. I called my online payment company again told the agent what was going on and cancelled the check. Called Tyson back and made the payment over the phone. Again I was offered money for my number $300. I asked,why? he stated that the unlimited data was tied to my number and when I go back to Verizon Wireles, that both they and I would lose the unlimited data. I said, no thank you, It would be to much hassle to redistribute the new number. The number was released. I called Katie Patonai

Business Solutions Specialist, Business and Government Customer Operations | Verizon Enterprise Solutions

Office: 866-867-9963 select option 2 and enter 2061032

2777 Corporate Park Drive, West Valley City, UT 84120.

It turns out that I got to keep the unlimited data. so e.w. wireless "Tyson" was incorrect about me losing the unlimited data plan.

I get to keep my unlimited data and i am sharing 1400 minutes with my wife stepson and mother. Plus my wife has unlimited data, the other 2 do not have data. the total bill should be around $190 a month. before we were paying $106.52 for mine, plus $149 and change for the other 3.

Although the check has been cancelled, I was told that if it is cashed within 5 business days that it could still be withdrawn from my account. then I will have to file a dispute with my bank, which will cost me 10 or 15 dollars.

Comments:
ITGeeks

join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

Unlimited

The Govt side of VZW does offer unlimited on the data. but is EW a reseller/MVNO?? And why sign up on the Gov't side of VZW?
lucky178

join:2000-11-06
Coshocton, OH
·Verizon Wireless..

Re: Unlimited

From what i understand e.w. is a vzw reseller. I or rather my wife had to do an assumption of my line. the number l/we called was 1-888-832-4540. once my number had been released we wanted to assume the number exactly as it was. that was the number i had found.the info i posted was directly from an email she sent me after the call. I didn't know that it was the gov't side of vzw until i got the email. we got our first bill already, it is only going to be $160 a month.
also, they did cash the check the same day they had me pay over the phone. my bill pay company is in the process of getting them to return the over payment.

Review by problematic See Profile

• Location: Solon,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "The network"
Bad "Literally everything else"
Overall "I'm going to have to show you on a stuffed animal where Verizon touched me..."

I purchased Verizon's service back when they had unlimited data service and they had a buy one get one free deal for the Droid X and the Droid 2. I'm extremely technically savvy and my father is not so much. I do tech support for a living so the decision about service for the family plan fell to me.

I was still skeptical of smart phones at the time and rightfully so. I tried to do some due diligence and research my decision ahead of time. Jumping on Verizon before they axed unlimited data seemed like a very good decision. The Droid brand had such a good reputation. Boy, was I wrong.

Verizon and Motorola were still coasting on their success from the original Droid phone. Apparently, Verizon and/or Motorola thought Droid did /too/ much and much like Apple does, they started locking down their devices.

That information wasn't easy to find online, and while I can't entirely fault Verizon for that, they did choose to use the Droid branding that originally meant an unhindered device with a device they had locked down. I'm not saying it was fraud, but it was fraudulent.

But the rabbit hole goes deeper.

So I start learning how to use my device and discover this fact. I can't flash ROMs like everybody else, I can't run all the apps I want, I can't, can't, can't. "Droid does," my ass.

(Over the following years, the dedicated hackers in the android community fought very hard to crack the devices the best they could, but to this very day there has not been a full unlock and these devices are still very much crippled).

And it goes even deeper.

I get even better at using my device and begin noticing my service was slow. It started out alright but I wasn't very good at using my phone to it's full potential so it was hard to gauge. I did some research and found out there was a file you could modify on the phone itself to speed it up. "That can't be true, it must be placebo," I thought. Wrong again. It turns out Verizon and/or Motorola hid a file on the phone to keep it from reaching maximum speeds.

But the ride doesn't end here.

I began to notice that my connection was being throttled. My supposedly unlimited service was very much so limited. I must have gone over some secret number and got throttled.

3g service was a steaming pile of crap. Enter 4g.

First I used my early upgrade on a Samsung Stratosphere when I found out there was LTE service in my area. I couldn't pick up LTE from inside my own house so I returned the device after fiddling with it for a week or two. I was promised that since I returned it I would keep my early upgrade.

When the Droid 4 rolled around, I already knew about the device locking and I was fairly confident the android hacking community would have my back. I decided to use my early upgrade again. I had to fight with Verizon reps for two days straight to get my order finalized for a special sale price because my early upgrade was no longer in their system.

I tried complaining once, and I got a call back from somebody about it. I left the rep a voicemail but it fell through the cracks apparently.

Even at the local store I encountered very rude staff.

LTE on the Droid 4 picked up service from inside my house, so that was a success. But the service has always been slow. Sometimes I wonder if my account is still being throttled since I went over their secret data cap. It's hard to know. And since I was an early adopter of 4g/LTE it was extremely beta test status. It eats my battery so bad I can barely ever use it, even when connected to a charger.

And the price. My anus is bleeding, the price. Other companies are competing fiercely in this realm now and offering unlimited 4g for way cheaper than my car payment-tier service. But I'm still locked into a contract with Verizon and can't help but feel taken advantage of.

And since I'm on an old grandfathered plan, Verizon does everything in their power to try to trick you into their new share everything sca-- I mean plan, that I can't help but feel like I'm being treated like a leper.

If you don't have so much money that you can afford to wipe your own ass with it, do not go with Verizon. Please avoid them at all costs. Unless network reliability is an absolute must, you should avoid their service like the plague.

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15

United State
·DIRECTV
·TracFone Wireless

Uh huh.

I am not nearly as tech savvy as you but I know a lie when I hear it. I dumped Verizon years ago after I
found my first surprize in their "whopper" gift box. I
realized long ago I don't need a contract phone to talk to friends. What I need is a phone that is easy on old eyes, is hearing aid capable, easy to talk/text and is fixed income affordable. I found that in the feature rich LG 840g listed on the TracFone website. I have not been disappointed.

Word of caution: The no-contract phone at TracFone does not offer unlimited apps and downloads, etc.. If you need it go to the $45 contract phone.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Review by captobie See Profile

• Location: Ferndale,Whatcom,WA
Good "Fast. Very fast."
Bad "Poor reliability. Very poor reliability."
Overall "If you don't have any wired internet options available it is probably a better option than satellite, but beware."

This review is for Verizon HomeFusion broadband service. The service is targeted to home users who don't have cable or DSL options available. As far as LTE service goes, you get a lot of data for your buck, 30 gigs for $120, but it's still not a very realistic number for home use. In our family of five we average just over a gigabyte a day, at $10/gigabyte overage our typical monthly bill is around $150 for 33 gigabytes. There's no Netflix, limited YouTube, and we take our laptops to the public library to install software and operating system updates.

This wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the poor reliability of the service. We are constantly losing our connection, sometimes three or four times a day for 20-30 minutes at a time. *Every* day at around 6 am we lose our connection. What is frustrating is that we don't live in some fringe area, we have a clear line of site to the Verizon tower, which is less than a mile from our house. We also have a Verizon iPhone that works fine even while our home service can't connect.

If you live in a semi rural area like we do this may be your best choice for high speed internet. And it is really fast, 50+ Mbps download speeds are routine. But with a 30 gig data cap and poor reliability it's hard to recommend it. If cable or DSL ever makes it to my house I'll be ditching this service in a heartbeat.

Comments:
benjamin5023
join:2003-09-17
Aylett, VA
·Verizon Wireless..

Poor 4G service in rual areas

In an area where 4G service was working, a storm hit and the service when to 3G or less. After weeks of fighting with Support, swapping equipment, and doing some of my own networking tests, I discovered it was a Cell Site and not my two Jet Packs.

I kept on Verizon and even tried contacting the Senior VP of Verizon Wireless Network Division. They contacted the Networking Repair division and gave me the same response.

You are in a Marginal Coverage area. Which is not true. My tests were conducted within a few miles of the 4G Cell Site. I went to two different cell sites, and one was excellent and the other was bad. I am pleading with the Executive team to arrange a meeting between the Verizon Networking Supervisor and myself.

I am a IT Network Technician myself, and the responses I am getting are inconsistent with tests.

However, my major problem with Verizon is it is like pulling teeth to get the right people to address a questionable diagnoses. They need a Governance team to insure these technicians are doing what they are supposed to.

After over a month, the service is now responding at certain times, and tests are now showing that they are "policing" or throttling the bandwidth to 3G speeds or less during peak times.

Looks like a capacity issue that needs to be explained.

Very frustrated with them at the moment. We have been customers of Verizon for over 12 years.

Review by agent_007 See Profile

• Location: Simi Valley,Ventura,CA
Good "I use a iPhone 4s"
Bad "I work nights and Verizon appears to cut power or do tower maintenance at nights. Tech support acts like they care, no call back"
Overall "Very expensive for 3G whe its constantly dropping to 1X."

At night the power drops on the 3G to the point where you waste data trying to connect. 3G constantly drops to 1X. Speed test app confirms this. terrible ping and speeds.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Kkrunch See Profile

• Location: Edwall,Lincoln,WA
Good "Better than Satellite"
Bad "Cost"
Overall "Nothing else available at any price"

·Verizon Broadban..
Order and install very smooth. Ordered Saturday, installed Tuesday. Capped, can get more data for more $$. The price you pay to live in the wilderness. No DSL, no wireless available from alternates, this or satellite.

Working well. Will update after seeing a movie and checking usage.

member for 13.4 years, 1966 visits, last login: 94 days ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by trollscience See Profile

• Location: Carrington,Foster,ND
Good "4 - 5 bar signal in carrington"
Bad "Very expensive $10 per 1GB for overuse. Has some gaps in certain areas in North Dakota."
Overall "Use Daktel or Midcontinent in Carrington"

Tablet and 2 iphones are capped 2GB.

member for 1.1 years, 286 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by marksquared See Profile

• Location: North Las Vegas,Clark,NV
Overall "Don't buy the Verizon Jetpack"

Ordered the Jetpack mobile wifi with 4g monthly cap for $50/mo before tax. We wanted the Jetpack because we saw others using similar products in their RVs and we were told (by the sales staff at the the Verizon brick and mortar store) that we could use it at home or travelling and the 4g cap shouldn't be a problem as long as we weren't downloading videos, etc. We only use it, or have tried to use it, for email, social media and the occasional shopping. IT WON'T STAY CONNECTED. Sometimes it will remain online for up to an hour; most typically it will fail after a minute or so. We began complaining 30 days after we received the first product. In the 6 months we have been trapped into this contract we have received 3 replacement devices and a new sim card. We have logged many, many hours with their tech 'support' folks. They refuse to let us out of the contract without penalty because we live in an urban area with, supposedly, good reception and didn't complain within the first 14 days. They acknowledge that it is a nuisance to be constantly disconnected but as long as we are able to coax, cajole and beg the device to deliver our meager monthly allowance we are stuck with it. They are now sending us our 4th replacement device. Not only should you avoid the Jetpack - AVOID VERIZON!

Comments:
bbtech6650
join:2004-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Which Model?

Which model did you receive? I had constant connectivity problems with my 4620le sold through Mellenicom. I picked up a different model direct post-paid through Verizon and haven't had an issue with it.

Review by grandmawolf See Profile

• Location: Alden,Antrim,MI
Good "pretty router"
Bad "slow spotty service"

slow and unreliable...can only stream hulu during periods of cloudy skies....going back to charter as soon as we figure out how to ditch our contract