Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by captobie See Profile

• Location: Ferndale,Whatcom,WA
Good "Fast. Very fast."
Bad "Poor reliability. Very poor reliability."
Overall "If you don't have any wired internet options available it is probably a better option than satellite, but beware."

This review is for Verizon HomeFusion broadband service. The service is targeted to home users who don't have cable or DSL options available. As far as LTE service goes, you get a lot of data for your buck, 30 gigs for $120, but it's still not a very realistic number for home use. In our family of five we average just over a gigabyte a day, at $10/gigabyte overage our typical monthly bill is around $150 for 33 gigabytes. There's no Netflix, limited YouTube, and we take our laptops to the public library to install software and operating system updates.

This wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the poor reliability of the service. We are constantly losing our connection, sometimes three or four times a day for 20-30 minutes at a time. *Every* day at around 6 am we lose our connection. What is frustrating is that we don't live in some fringe area, we have a clear line of site to the Verizon tower, which is less than a mile from our house. We also have a Verizon iPhone that works fine even while our home service can't connect.

If you live in a semi rural area like we do this may be your best choice for high speed internet. And it is really fast, 50+ Mbps download speeds are routine. But with a 30 gig data cap and poor reliability it's hard to recommend it. If cable or DSL ever makes it to my house I'll be ditching this service in a heartbeat.

Comments:
benjamin5023
join:2003-09-17
Aylett, VA
·Verizon Broadban..
·Verizon Wireless..

Poor 4G service in rual areas

In an area where 4G service was working, a storm hit and the service when to 3G or less. After weeks of fighting with Support, swapping equipment, and doing some of my own networking tests, I discovered it was a Cell Site and not my two Jet Packs.

I kept on Verizon and even tried contacting the Senior VP of Verizon Wireless Network Division. They contacted the Networking Repair division and gave me the same response.

You are in a Marginal Coverage area. Which is not true. My tests were conducted within a few miles of the 4G Cell Site. I went to two different cell sites, and one was excellent and the other was bad. I am pleading with the Executive team to arrange a meeting between the Verizon Networking Supervisor and myself.

I am a IT Network Technician myself, and the responses I am getting are inconsistent with tests.

However, my major problem with Verizon is it is like pulling teeth to get the right people to address a questionable diagnoses. They need a Governance team to insure these technicians are doing what they are supposed to.

After over a month, the service is now responding at certain times, and tests are now showing that they are "policing" or throttling the bandwidth to 3G speeds or less during peak times.

Looks like a capacity issue that needs to be explained.

Very frustrated with them at the moment. We have been customers of Verizon for over 12 years.

Review by agent_007 See Profile

• Location: Simi Valley,Ventura,CA
Good "I use a iPhone 4s"
Bad "I work nights and Verizon appears to cut power or do tower maintenance at nights. Tech support acts like they care, no call back"
Overall "Very expensive for 3G whe its constantly dropping to 1X."

At night the power drops on the 3G to the point where you waste data trying to connect. 3G constantly drops to 1X. Speed test app confirms this. terrible ping and speeds.

Comments:

Review by Kkrunch See Profile

• Location: Edwall,Lincoln,WA
Good "Better than Satellite"
Bad "Cost"
Overall "Nothing else available at any price"

·Verizon Broadban..
Order and install very smooth. Ordered Saturday, installed Tuesday. Capped, can get more data for more $$. The price you pay to live in the wilderness. No DSL, no wireless available from alternates, this or satellite.

Working well. Will update after seeing a movie and checking usage.

member for 13.2 years, 1966 visits, last login: 32 days ago

Comments:

Review by trollscience See Profile

• Location: Carrington,Foster,ND
Good "4 - 5 bar signal in carrington"
Bad "Very expensive $10 per 1GB for overuse. Has some gaps in certain areas in North Dakota."
Overall "Use Daktel or Midcontinent in Carrington"

Tablet and 2 iphones are capped 2GB.

member for 348 days, 217 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by marksquared See Profile

• Location: North Las Vegas,Clark,NV
Overall "Don't buy the Verizon Jetpack"

Ordered the Jetpack mobile wifi with 4g monthly cap for $50/mo before tax. We wanted the Jetpack because we saw others using similar products in their RVs and we were told (by the sales staff at the the Verizon brick and mortar store) that we could use it at home or travelling and the 4g cap shouldn't be a problem as long as we weren't downloading videos, etc. We only use it, or have tried to use it, for email, social media and the occasional shopping. IT WON'T STAY CONNECTED. Sometimes it will remain online for up to an hour; most typically it will fail after a minute or so. We began complaining 30 days after we received the first product. In the 6 months we have been trapped into this contract we have received 3 replacement devices and a new sim card. We have logged many, many hours with their tech 'support' folks. They refuse to let us out of the contract without penalty because we live in an urban area with, supposedly, good reception and didn't complain within the first 14 days. They acknowledge that it is a nuisance to be constantly disconnected but as long as we are able to coax, cajole and beg the device to deliver our meager monthly allowance we are stuck with it. They are now sending us our 4th replacement device. Not only should you avoid the Jetpack - AVOID VERIZON!

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 1 year ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:
bbtech6650
join:2004-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Which Model?

Which model did you receive? I had constant connectivity problems with my 4620le sold through Mellenicom. I picked up a different model direct post-paid through Verizon and haven't had an issue with it.

Review by grandmawolf See Profile

• Location: Alden,Antrim,MI
Good "pretty router"
Bad "slow spotty service"

slow and unreliable...can only stream hulu during periods of cloudy skies....going back to charter as soon as we figure out how to ditch our contract

Comments:

Review by oldfart74 See Profile

• Location: Gwinn,Marquette,MI
Overall "Decieving and baiting"

Home Fusion 4G They did not tell us that because of the faster speed that your usage will increase substantially because the quality of the down loads increases and data usage is not proportional to what you get at slower connections like 3G. As far as I am concerned it is a big rip off compared to what the price of hard line connections are. The speed was fine but who needs 600 mph to go a mile when 70 gets you there just fine. Same picture looks the same.

Comments:
tdumaine
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

Lulz

So since you can download faster you have decided to download more, and thats deceptive? Self control is the key here

Review by Ricahard61 See Profile

• Location: Plattsmouth,Cass,NE
Bad "paying for 12 might be getting 4"
Overall "Not worth tring to get on line"

No other internet provider en close to us. Have to reset modem all the time.

Comments:

Review by rblenkhorn See Profile

• Location: Bangor,Penobscot,ME
Good "15-20 MB download 5-8 MB upload"
Bad "6 GIG LIMIT"
Overall "works very good for what it is, would be super great if higher cap"

Verizon. Its reliable. It works. that is about it. It is expensive, that is a fact. I have never dealt with customer service I pay the bill when it comes. I use the service. that is all

Comments:

Review by WI Fire See Profile

• Location: Hudson,Saint Croix,WI
Good "Fast!"
Bad "Need to keep within 20Gb/mo. limit - no online movies for me!"
Overall "Good value when no DSL or cable is available."

I ordered the Verizon Home Fusion package with 20GB/month. This offering is new enough that there was unfamiliarity with the ordering process within Verizon, and I ended up with a new account, which was corrected with a phone call after I received my first bill. The install was done by a contracted DirecTV installer. they have orders to NOT mount the device on any existing tripods, etc. (but what I do after he leaves is my choice). I'm getting speeds of 22Gb down, 8+ up. There is still an issue where the Verizon router will fail the connection once every ~4 days, requiring a power-cycle of the router (but not the cantenna).

WARNING: Do not add this service to your "share-everything" cellphone data plan. The cost of data on that plan is much higher than keeping this device on a separate plan.

Note to networking geeks: For this system, NAT is provided by the cantenna, not the in-home router. The cantenna will be just another device on the 192.168.1.x network.

Comments:

Tracer

@myvzw.com

Verizon Wireless Speed

Verizon Wireless Speed after has been "optimized": 0,02 Mbps!
Enjoy!