Verizon Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by shakawkaw See Profile

• Location: Monroe,Snohomish,WA
Good "Speed"
Bad "Data caps, excessive overage charges"
Overall "Avoid as a main internet connection"

I used to be a Verizon employee installing FiOS, which I still think is the best thing out there for internet by a mile. Recently I moved to an area where the only options are satellite (no thanks), dial-up (hell no!), or a 4g solution like HomeFusion. I decided to give the HF a try. I am more than happy with the speeds. Often I will test around 27 Mb download over 17 Mb upload. This is awesome. What is not so awesome is a defect in the firmware of the "cantenna" that causes my connection to go down multiple times a day, sometimes for as long as 20 minutes.

Even with that known issue, by far, the worst part is that the highest possible monthly allowance is 30GB. As a main internet connection for two people, this just does NOT cut it. Even with scaling back on streaming there is no way we can stay below this limit, and at $10/GB, once you exceed it, the cost can be atrocious. To make matters worse, because of the great speed, you can literally eat through hundreds of dollars' worth of bandwidth in the span of an hour as I unfortunately just did when I made the mistake of installing a game on Steam that I thought was 1.5GB but was actually 15GB. Next time I opened my email I saw the 15 warnings there waiting for me at $10 a pop. Needless to say, I was NOT happy.

When I called VZ customer service they said there was nothing they were willing/able to do, and that I essentially just need to stay under 30GB to avoid paying any overage.

Bottom line - Avoid HomeFusion as your main source of internet connectivity unless you are seriously ok with using it to do nothing other than web browsing and email! Netflix, Steam, Vudu, Hulu, PlayStation Network or X-Box Live purchases......all of these things will become impossible to do affordably, and if anyone happens to decide to watch an HD movie be ready to shell out up to $50 with no chance of a mulligan.

Comments:
whocares256

join:2002-03-10
Anna, TX

Verizon wireless

Are you on a grandfathered Verizon wireless cellphone plan with data? Can you get unlimited data on your cellphone?
corvette1963

join:2013-04-30
Everett, WA

Re: Verizon wireless

I Think so

Review by pioneer56 See Profile

• Location: Michigan
Good "Wow! Is LTE ever fast!!!"
Bad "If you aren't on an unlimited account you will go broke with overages"
Overall "Great for the unlimited people, costly if you want to enjoy the speeds on a Share Everything plan"

So I finally have 4G in the area and can use my plan the way it was suppose to be! The speeds and latency are incredible! 30+Mbps down and 5-12 Mbps up are insane! Service is still a little bit flaky as it is so new, but the advancement from the TERRIBLE 3G we have around here more than makes up for it. 4/5 Stars overall.

member for 6.5 years, 1780 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Jeremy1976 See Profile

• Location: Belfast,Waldo,ME
Good "good bandwidth"
Bad "go through data cap fast, not very good latency"
Overall "good if its the only option you have"

I have verizon 4g hotspot enabled on my phone as a backup for when i travel or if i lose my dsl. The bandwidth is pretty good i get 30/15 mbps at my house. I have 10 GB's it eats through it pretty fast depending on what your doing. Browsing internet youd be fine but watching videos ordownloading a game or update for ps3 will really use it up fast. Its pretty expensive. My average ping times were around 90-100 ms. I guess if you cant get dsl or cable it would be good but just watch your data so you dont go over.

member for 2.7 years, 30 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

admin123

@myvzw.com

wow your pings

My pings are 45/ 55 and gaming is smooth as butter.

Review by RobnLoudoun See Profile

• Location: 20141-2445
Good "Fastest connection available since there is no cable or del available locally"
Bad "Requires constant resets to maintain connection"
Overall "Not really ready for prime time - good when it works, but annoying when it requires resets"

Only broadband options available in many areas of Western Loudoun are satellite, and wireless broadband. I could have had a cable run to the house for $3,000, but didn't want to spend the money and then be in thrall to one cable company. Verizon Homefusion works nicely when it's connected, but it constantly disconnects and requires resetting the Cantenna.

Comments:

TucsonOne

@qwest.net

HomeFusion Problems

Conclusion: Verizon HomeFusion Problems - Product Inoperable

Observations from 22 Days of Verizon & Homeowner Efforts
Dates: Jan 17- Feb 6, 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ near Prince Rd & Soldier Trail Rd, stated by Verizon to be “in a very good 4G zone for reception, one mile from the cell phone tower supplying the 4G service”

Sales: Verizon store personnel didn’t know how to complete sales documentation, having sold very few units

Installation: well-trained, responsive, polite installer

The Cantenna: four different ones were replaced, all but one failed to maintain an internet connection longer than 12 hours, breaking connection (and failing to reconnect until power cycled via unplugging) up to eight times a day

The Router: twice replaced, no observations

The Tech Support:

- multiple failed attempts stopped cold at the Verizon main phone number (disconnected, wrong extension, Spanish language, etc.)

- first level technical personnel could offer only two interventions: unplug the cantennae or unplug the cable router; they had no other information available of any kind

- second level technical support were surly and had no further assistance

- third level (“trouble ticket”) personnel had access to the network functioning in the area but their interventions were also limited to hardware replacement or rebooting; they pointed towards ‘a drive around’ to access 4G reception in the area but could not schedule same within install time frames, ‘or for several weeks’

- when asked the third time via different technical support personnel, the Company agreed to extend the 14 day window of free use of the product for another 14 days; customer ended effort at 22 days having no confidence in the product nor the technical support and having spent nearly thirty hours trouble-shooting the devices

The Internet Connection:

- speeds as advertised, but wildly variable on ping, download and upload, and showing many spikes on Speedtest.net graphs suggesting poor connections; no Verizon personnel had access to devices nor online data that could pinpoint and remedy the problems

sbken

join:2002-03-09
Etowah, NC

Re: HomeFusion Problems

In my location AT&T DSL quality is extremely poor and slow. To add to the insult AT&T will not install any new DSL service! If you move into the area there is no AT&T DSL available and, according to AT&T, the reason for my slow/inferior service is that the service had to be "capped" as they are over capacity with no plans to upgrade their equipment. When I was made aware of Verizon's Homefusion I thought I finally had a good broadband option. Was was very wrong!

Starting with an installation scheduling disaster - the installer was not informed of the correct installation time - to technical problems and a gigantic data usage I canceled the service five days after unsuccessfully trying to resolve the issues. Technical support was unable to explain or resolve my problems and when they elevated the problem to the highest tier of Verizon technical support the problems were not even addressed.

Data usage issue: Although my pattern of internet usage remained the same after Homefusion installation my data usage rose from approximately 6BG/month with AT&T to approximately 5 GB in 24 hours! No one at Verizon Tech Support could explain the discrepancy. Since my Homefusion contract allowed 10 GB/month I would have been in deep financial trouble had I continued to use the service. (AT&T has an allowance of 150 GB/month.)

Speed: This is a real puzzler and Verizon Tech Support remained mystified. My download speed rarely exceeded 6 Mb/second and my upload speed was usually GREATER than the download speed.

When I finally called to cancel the service I was told to bring the Router to the Verizon store where I purchased the service. When I arrived at the store, after a considerable wait, I was informed that I had to *send* the Router back to Verizon and that Verizon would send me a prepaid shipping box. Seven days later I'm still waiting for that box.

Finally, I discovered that even though I canceled my service withing the fourteen-day trial period I would be charged a $35 "restocking fee". Oddly, Verizon does not want the large outside antenna "drum" returned, even though it is obviously an expensive item. It will remain a fixture on the outside of my house as a reminder that while Verizon is different from AT&, it is just as inept.

• Location: Navarre,Santa Rosa,FL
Good "Excellent-FAST-Reliable"
Bad "Low allowance"
Overall "4G LTE Rules"

We began using Verizon 4G LTE in April 2011. Since we travel a great
deal, we had been dragging around a HughesNet satellite dish for years.
We took a chance with Verizon and it has paid off.

We bought two (2) LG VL600 cellular modems, one for my wife, the other
for me. The total for both is right at $100 a month for 5 gigs each.
Average speeds in 4G LTE areas has been about 14 megs down, and 1.8 megs
up.

We were initially afraid that we would find ourselves in areas where
there was no service at all. Fortunately, for us and all the places we
travel, zero service is pretty rare. If we do not have 4G LTE service,
we do have either 3G or 2G. If you are on or near an interstate highway,
or near a major metro area, we are finding Verizon 4G LTE just about
everywhere. In most smaller towns, we get at least 3G.

We travel by RV all around the U.S., and were finally able to ditch the
"BIG DISH" satellite service. Verizon has been very good to us, and Tech
support has been excellent the two times we needed them over the past 2
years. We keep our cell phones on AT&T so that we have a separate
communications link in emergencies. The fastest 4G LTE speed we every
experienced was 22megs down, 2.8 megs up. Verizon 4G LTE is now our
primary internet access. Only complaint would be that six (6) gigs a
month for $50 would be a better overall deal for us. Downloading a 2.8
gig MAP update for our Garmin sucks the life out of a month's bandwidth
allowance.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by Cthen See Profile

• Location: Detroit,Wayne,MI
Good "Much better service and value for the money than AT&T."
Bad "Not enough 4g access outside of the Detroit Metro area."
Overall "If you can ditch AT&T, do so!"

I switched over to Verizon due to them offering me a better phone and better value from the service than what AT&T was willing to offer me for staying to sign another contract. I signed up through the Verizon website on a Friday and the phone was here by Monday. Porting my number over was also a painless process, just stupid me didn't think to reboot my phone the next day to get it up and going. Because of my own doing I went 2 days without phone service lol (Still had data during that time though).

Verizon gave me an HTC Thunderbolt free for signing the contract as to where AT&T was willing to give me an HTC Vivid. Verizon also gives me a higher cap on data usage along with more free services than what AT&T could give me all for the same price per month between the two providers. So it became a no brainer to make the switch.

1-27-13

Still going good. Lately I have been doing a lot of tethering and I have to say, it is fast and reliable. The latency is still 3x of a cable isp however the speed blows it out of the water.

member for 10.2 years, 4474 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: Fort Wayne,Allen,IN
Good "Stealing money from you"
Bad "Stealing money from you"
Overall "Verizon wireless is just a bunch of thieves"

Beware of this business, no more than a bunch thieves. It took money from
my credit card in Nov 2012. When I complained, they told me the money will
be applied back to my credit card within 24-48 hours, which did not happen.
So far I had to called 16 times and go to the local store 4 times to get my
money back. Most of the time they promised me I would receive the money in
24-48 hours. They acknowledged that they wrongfully took my money, but
hesitated to return it. What a crooked thieves!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by why60loss See Profile

• Location: Wake Forest,Wake,NC
Good "Fast when it work's, best upload speeds I can get ware I live."
Bad "Connection disconected just about every day 5+ times a day"
Overall "If you can, go to AT&T or sprint for LTE due to poor tech support"

My bill is low becuase I have unlimited data with the 450 min plan.

Now I got my Droid razr On 12/5/11 and signed my first contract with verizon. Got unlimited data after by asking for it. At first it worked well but then it started to drop 4G and fall back to 3G even in the verizon store right in the sale reps face with every phone the store had held 4G with 4-5 bars at THAT time.

He just had replaced the sim too when that happened. So then it worked a bit better after rebooting it again for the 3rd or 4th time THAT DAY. Then after the first month of the year, I started to get very slow down load speeds like 500kbs, but upload was mostly fine at 5-10mbs. So I called 611 about it and hard reset my phone 2 times, and some more thing's they said to try and it all failed. By that time I went back to the store and showed him this and he reseted the phone. It worked again for a bit, but as soon as I got home. 500kbs again

I called 611 again and told them I done every thing they told me to and then DID it again so give me a "new" phone. They then sent me the "new" phone and it worked better, but still had the same core issues just not as much. It went on and on with 611 call's getting no ware so I had to call the BBB and tell them I think verizon is throttling me, but won't tell me the truth. After that they mostly fixed it, but still had issues with connection's droping, but not slow speeds.

That was over a 4-5 month time trying to fix that.

(This part is more about the phone it's self, but verizon wireless did it so I think it can be a part of this review.)
Thing were going "ok" for a few week's after that and then verizon pushed out the ICS update for the Razr that 99% fixed the speed issues and fixed even more of the connection issues, but then flash player did not work at all when ICS still SHOULD work very well with it. So after 2 days on the phone with verizon and some words in between the lines at the end that if you could put 2+2=4 you would know you could get sued for this and they swaped it out for a galaxy S3.

So it's getting better now with the S3, but the way they dealed with me was not right so here is my review. I never really had issues like this with AT&T. So I was really just dissapointed with them for a long time and now very slowly trying get back to at lest thinking they are ok, but it will take a lot of time before I can tell any one I think they should join verizon.

Video of connection issues:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDxJoGv3···&list=UL

Video's of speed issues:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCbvDEew···&list=UL

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZYLUZr-···&list=UL

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSKMhrV1···&list=UL

Update: With the free galaxy s3 Verizon gave me in trade for the razr, It work's a lot better now. No drop out's really and 10+mbs download and 5 up. The Droid Razr is just a bad phone that was very hard to get Verizon to replace and for that tech support will have to stay at worst rating.

connection reliability and services gained some, but for all the down time will not be 5 stars. If not for the poor support and issues they both would have gotten a 5. Also call's are poorer with this phone than with my AT&T phone.

member for 2 years, 370 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mts7471 See Profile

• Location: Roselle,Du Page,IL
Good "Very fast speeds, and its not Comcast"
Bad "Higher cost but corporate discount helps"
Overall "Good for occasionaly streaming due to data caps, but for general surfing its excellent"

Ordered this about a week ago and was installed this past weekend. I've been been pleased with the service since I was on DSL service for 12 years. I refuse to use Comcast so this is my only alternative to DSL service. With a corporate discount, the cost is about the same(prices shown are retail), and I only watch 1 or 2 Netflix movies, so streaming and data caps aren't a concern for me. What I'd love to see Verizon do is to enable the phone ports on the back of their router so I can dump ATT landline service all together. The cost is basically an additional 40 on my existing 2Gb shareverything plan to bump it up to 10Gb of data, and 20 dollars for access, so an extra 60 bucks on top of an existing Smartphone plan. The cantannae on the side of the house is just a little smaller then a coffee can. My only disappointment is that the router doesn't seem to have the ability to bridge. I prefer using my Asus N-66U router for wireless access in the house, and I ended up having to double NAT it . Aside from that I'm very pleased with the performance of the service, and not using Comcast is a win for me.

Comments:

Review by sambowomble See Profile

• Location: Lakeland,Polk,FL
Good "Fast speeds and reliable calls"
Bad "Some choice of phones do not give 4G justice"
Overall "Verizon provides an excellent call service as well as data when it works"

I have had Verizon for many years and have been pretty good to me. Anything from equipment issues to customer service, they have been a service provider that I will continue to use.

Comments:
pittpete1

join:2009-06-12

$$$$?

$200 per month
what do u get for that much per month?

sambowomble
Are you sure? If not check again
join:2009-11-23
Murfreesboro, TN

Re: $$$$?

4 lines, 1400 minute plan with unlimited internet, two basic phones no internet, two smarthphones with grandfathered unlimited internet plans and insurance on all 4 lines.